Speaker 1: If A J.
Speaker 2: Perzinski is saying you're an MVP at the age twenty three, well, working at Wrigley Field, you must be doing something extraordinary.
Speaker 3: All right. We want to welcome in Paton Youlways appreciate him being on the show. Of course, he's the senior writer for The Athletic covering the Chicago Cubs, a contributor on Foul Territory TV and North Side Territory. Patrick, Great to see you. Let's start with the conversation surrounding PCA. In one convo, I hear they're going to extend him. In another convo, I hear that they might trade him. What's going on with him?
Speaker 2: Oh, they're definitely not trading him. But you know, our kind of rule of thumb at the Athletic now is just you cannot overwrite Pete crow Armstrong. It seems like every time he steps to the plate something might happen.
Speaker 4: You crazy, crazy.
Speaker 2: In center field and just causing havoc on the basis So I don't those extension talks have not been totally extinguished or the Cubs have not shut the door on that.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of time for that to happen. But he is certainly playing.
Speaker 2: At an MVP level where he might might be his best interest to wait, you.
Speaker 5: Have any idea if this was a knee jerk reaction to his start of the season, Because last year all we heard about PCA was great defense man. He's barely even in the big leagues unless Craig Counsel, the eight million dollar manager, approved him to be in the big leagues. The ORG didn't really seem like they were too high on him or they expected more. I'm not sure what it was, but now does this feel like a two month knee jerk reaction.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: I think he just because he's such a great athlete, as Jed Hoyer said the other day, that.
Speaker 4: He's able to do special things.
Speaker 2: And I do you think Counsel was big for helping his development of telling him when he came up, like, look, just play defense, you know, make a difference on the basis so you.
Speaker 4: Don't worry about your hitting.
Speaker 2: But behind the scenes, the Cubs hitting group did a great job of, you know, getting his stance and his swing into a place where he can do damage. I think part of it is just the game teaching him how to slow.
Speaker 4: It down, channel some of his wild energy.
Speaker 2: And you know, I do think the Cubs have a good group of like steady veteran players who are those baseball Jim rats and helped him develop a routine. But look, I mean in the middle of April he was barely hitting. I mean, no one saw this coming this fast, and that's why people can stop talking about him.
Speaker 6: Are you ready for this? Are you ready, Patrick, for what I'm about to say right now? Peter Armstrong is by MVP of the National League for what he's done offensively and defensively. So you should record that and show all your little Cub friends that I said something good about the Cubs. Okay, you've always been this homer and apologist. We all get it, no doubt, there's no doubt, no doubt. But no, I'm serious, Like, he has been incredible. I know it's been a month, but if he continues this, he's at least in.
Speaker 4: The conversation for sure.
Speaker 6: I mean with his defense, his stolen bases, his hitting, and the thing is, he gets big hits. He's aren't like down nine to two and he hits a stolen homer. I mean he's sitting grand slams, He's sitting these home runs that are that are huge. So I don't know what else there is to say. And if I was him, I would not sign an extension. I would wait till the end of the year and then be like, look, guys, here's my whole year's work. This is only going to get better. This is the baseline. Now come to me Rickett's family, which they won't, but that's fine.
Speaker 2: Well, he's definitely not, you know, putting up garbage time numbers. He's definitely not like just a long for the ride, you know. It's you got to remember, this is someone who started playing for Team USA on like their twelve and underteam you went to Harvard, Westlake could have gone to Vanderbilt first round pick without even having like a true senior year in twenty twenty, so like this was always in there. I think he's had a ton of confidence. That's what has become clear in talking to people who've worked with him over the years. But he's also like very self aware. He loves just kind of the day to day, you know craft aspect to that, working on his craft, learning more about the game, and so that very well, maybe what happens of them ultimately kind of punting on this, but you know why I've written about the extension stuff is that you know, they talked at length right around the Tokyo series is where it came to a head and they decided to you know, kind of table thing. But it leaked out a couple weeks later. But there was no sense of like this was a take it or leave it offer. I think it's become clear that Jed Hoyer, though he's in the last year of his contract, has the authority and interest to think well beyond just the end of this season. Pete says he loves it here, wants to be in Chicago for a long time. His dad grew up in the suburbs of Chicago. I mean, Pete is someone who grew up in a house that had the Anthony Rizzo framed Sports Illustrated cover celebrating the twenty sixteen World Series. And this front office to Eric, yeah that work, that work, kid, you know, So like this front office wants to build around him, so like, I don't know, it's it could still happen. I think that's kind of the point of this conversation here of like, you know, our listeners, our readers, like shouldn't be totally blindsided if something does pop up, because there's a lot of you know, mutual interest here at the same time. Yeah, like if you're an MVP. If aj Perzinsky is saying you're an MVP at the age twenty three, well, working at Wrigley Field, you must be doing something extraordinary.
Speaker 6: Either that hold on or I've lost my bloody mind. I don't know what's one it is I'm poisoning.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure about one of the others.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or he was taken over by aliens Patrick anytime, Yes, anything positive about the Cubs. He has had an out of body experience. How do you go though, from that kid that overslept on the first day of instructional league to a kid that perhaps gets an extension and is a huge piece of the puzzle for what the Cubs want to do doing forward. I would imagine maturity, but it seems like something else has a switch has flipped for him. It appears.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's someone who has great raw talent that is able to do things on a baseball field that most people cannot. And it's also someone who is very self aware, extremely articulate, can really break down the game and understand personalities and like, you know, he has inside jokes with like Saya Suzuki. And then he's also you know, kind of bouncing around the clubhouse talking to everyone like he's not withdrawn, he's eager to learn. And you know Aj knows this, like the Cubs, you know, historically are in a market that kind of you know, over hype prospects maybe jumps to conclusions, but there is a support system here of the eight million dollar manager that Eric mentioned, who had a really nice reputation for developing young talent in Milwaukee at Sky's, like Dansby Swanson, Nico Horner, Ian Happ who were in his ear encouraging him when his numbers were terrible offensively at the start of the year and saying like, stick with the process.
Speaker 4: It's a long year.
Speaker 2: We all know how Wrigly can play in April, like, just keep doing your thing, things are going to turn.
Speaker 4: And that is what's happened.
Speaker 2: It's just like the degree to which has happened is still kind of stunning.
Speaker 7: Krats, My pupp was picky, not anymore with spot and Tango unkibble and it is about forty percent less expensive than frozen food, so we're saving in the wallet and we're making our puffs happier.
Speaker 5: Let's go apples to apples. I'm not cheap, but I don't want to waste my money on something that's good for my dog. This is perfect.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they are very excited. Both Bella krats is pup and Penelope my little pup four Spot and Tango you can get at You're pupp excited too, and there's no more guessing how much to feed your dog either. Spot and Tango creates a custom plan based on your dog's age, weight, breed, and activity level. It's a nice little survey, so upgrade your pets bowl with spot En Tango Unkibble for a limited time. Go to spotan tango dot com slash foul use code foul to get fifty percent off your first order. That's spotent tango dot com slash foul code foul for fifty percent off your first order. Spotent tango dot com slash foul code foul.
Speaker 4: Patrick, I need a number.
Speaker 5: What's it gonna take?
Speaker 4: Where?
Speaker 5: I mean obviously any extension Cubs fans are gonna be like, wow, the Rickets are actually spending money. Like, we're good with that.
Speaker 4: Whatever the number is, But what's.
Speaker 5: It gonna take what's it gonna take today, because tomorrow he might hit another big hit and that number just keeps going up.
Speaker 2: Well, I think, you know, before the start of the season, I think Corman Carroll's deal, which was put together by CIA, the same agency that represents Pete, that would have been not even a high end but probably unrealistic, like not even worth talking about. But now that might be a little outdated, and so clearly it's a nine figure commitment. It would be from Pete's side, I'm sure they would want to limit their those club option years, those free agent years. You want to preserve flexibility for that. But I think part of it, too is his floor is really high, like even like a worst case scenario for pie Crow Armstrong, it's probably being a ten year big leaguer and you know, maybe it's bouncing around on shorter term deals but collecting nice money as a gold glove center fielder who brings great speed and has you know, you know, charisma and you know, good connections throughout the game. But you know, his ceiling is kind of unlimited at this point. And that's that's kind of the the not even friction here. But that's just the forces at play of why it hasn't happened. I think it's clear that how it unfolded around the start of the season. It was not you know, an Anthony Rizzo situation a couple of years ago where he made it clear like I don't want to continue this.
Speaker 4: Discussion at all, don't bother.
Speaker 2: This was more of a okay, each side understands where the others coming from. There wasn't enough common ground at that moment. Both sides are getting a lot more information, and I do think if you look back at that last great era of Cubs baseball, there was a frustration or a they kind of paid the price for not extending some of those guys. That's why they all kind of came up together, came to the end at that twenty twenty one trade deadline.
Speaker 4: They got Rizzo done early.
Speaker 2: They got Kyle Hendrickstone on the pitching side, how he might have gotten done if not for the pandemic. But at the ownership level within the front office, ideally they would like to not see one of those cliffs again and to have guys to build around and to have waves of talent coming in after Pete.
Speaker 6: Patrick, who's more important to this offense, sayas Azuki or Kyle Tucker. Saya Azuki is having a heck of view, he leads the league in RBI is right, and then Kyle Tucker's come in and obviously changed the lineup completely. But who's more important, Saya Azuki or Kyle Tucker.
Speaker 4: I still think it's Tucker.
Speaker 2: I mean Saya acknowledge this the other day that you know through his interpreter that he's learned a lot from watching Kyle Tucker, seeing how he makes adjustments, seeing how Kyle Tucker is very steady, even Keel. I think hitting in the middle of this lineup, in between you know Tucker, you have Ian Happ setting the table, you have Pek Armstrong a bush behind you.
Speaker 4: It just kind of opens things up.
Speaker 2: And I think say has learned to be more aggressive. Part of that was just through experience, but Tucker is a great example. There are times where Sayah was a little too passive that like his physical abilities, the kind of bat at ball data, it all just like didn't add up, like there should should have been more in there. And I think that's what you're seeing, And to me, Kyle Tucker is a big, big part of that.
Speaker 3: Patrick do you think that the Cubs would pay both PCA and Kyle Tucker.
Speaker 4: Uh, probably not.
Speaker 2: And I don't even know, Like I just I think Kyle Tucker, we have no evidence to suggest that, Like the Cubs are going to do that sort of deal between Vladimir Guerrero and Juan Soto to make it come. It meant, you know, a decade plus, they've never done that before. I think, what you know, Pete, you know, what would make sense for Pete is not unreasonable in kind of the grand scheme of baseball economics.
Speaker 4: Plus there's a lot of time.
Speaker 2: I think Pete's under club control through twenty thirty, so like you could make the prediction, and you have a lot.
Speaker 4: Of chances to get that right.
Speaker 2: I think with Tucker, you know, it's certainly a possibility, it's just not the Cubs just have not That's not their business plan thus far. And maybe Kyle Tucker is the ultimate exception. Maybe this year goes so well, Maybe there are other forces out there that his free agency doesn't quite go the way we expect, But right now I would certainly expect a Pete extension to be more likely than a Kyle Tucker extension.
Speaker 5: No, doubt, right, Patrick, Is this is this the Craig Council contract coming to fruition the way the last five series, this bullpen without Porter hadje without two big time starting rotation pieces that alleviate some of the stress on the bullpen. Is this the contract? This is what they paid Craig Council to do because they kept watching it year in and year out in Milwaukee.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 2: And I think that's part of why you look at sort of the Cubs payroll over the years, and you know, some of the frustrations of like why why can't the Cubs do this when they you know, when they spend more than Milwaukee in it. It's a lot more complicated than that, but that was a big reason of why they went out and made the very uncomfortable decision to fire David Ross, who, did you know, a very good job under the circumstances, who was building towards this.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: But yeah, counsel, is this, as you know, Eric, kind of an extension another front office. Part of the checks and balances with an organization council is certainly that force of asking questions, of wondering, is there a different way to do this? Of trusting in young talent, whether it's P. Krow Armstrong or whether it's some of these guys. They essentially got off the scrap heap, like the Cubs have built up this pitching infrastructure over the years, and I definitely think Counsel's sense of calm, his kind of common sense approach, all of those things are coming together here. I think people just thought there might have been it would have shown up a little sooner, maybe last year. I mean, eighty three wins under David Ross and Craig Counsel. But this is what the Cubs have been building for of getting a Kyle Tucker, seeing p. Crow Armstrong emerge, and then just figuring out the pitching on a day to day basis.
Speaker 4: That does seem to be a strength of Greig Counsel. It's one they're a big market team.
Speaker 6: Go spend some money, okay, and don't give me so Let's let's not act like we're a mid market team.
Speaker 4: We're the Cubs.
Speaker 6: Okay, go spend money. Have you have the McDonald's across the street that make some billion dollars?
Speaker 4: You have the hotel? Okay, let's stop with that. Okay.
Speaker 6: I didn't get to even mention that, but let's go out and spend the money you need to spend. Now, Poalencia, is he the closer?
Speaker 4: You're right? Yeah, no, no doubt.
Speaker 6: Is Polencia the closer going forward? I know Porter hodges out and uh there's been struggles with other guys, but is he going to be the closer? You think of the future, not only this year, but going forward.
Speaker 2: I think council being counseled, they'll still they could still do some matching up, like if there are certain you know, to use the manager speak, like certain pockets of the lineup that they want to feature a different picture. I could see that. But Polentcia, no doubt, has shown a lot here of just he's got that you know, crazy high end velocity that this bullpen had been kind of lacking.
Speaker 4: It's the swing and this stuff.
Speaker 2: He's really grown up and needed time to become comfortable at this level. You're seeing that. I do think you guys know it's different. You know those last three outs, and thus far he's passed the test. I mean, granted it might have been the worst. You know, he might have been facing the worst team of all time. In the twenty twenty five Colorado Rockies, but no doubt a guy that they trust has earned the opportunity. And this is the council effect that Eric talked about, pumping confidence into these young pitchers, not overreacting, and also managing with the long season in mind. Like he's not a guy that's has a history of wearing out relievers. He tries to find spots to rest guys really kind of use it as one kind of cohesive unit.
Speaker 4: So I would certainly see like Plancy is one of those.
Speaker 2: As counsel would say, you need good surprises for like good seasons to happen, and he is certainly one of those.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe no surprise to anybody. Patrick. The Cubs with the lead in the division, a three game lead, eight and two in their last ten. They take on the Cincinnati Reds beginning tomorrow. Patrick, we appreciate you taking the time to be with us, and obviously you can catch Patrick on North Side Territory. Speaking of which, check out North Side Territory with Patrick and sahadiv Sharma whenever wherever you get your podcasts and on YouTube. We will be right back with Pinstripe Territories. Derek Lewandowski next.
Speaker 7: Podfather and I are from Jersey, so we're used to, oh, I got a guy, but sometimes that just means when I'm looking for a car, I go to car Gurus.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And I think, honestly, the best part about this communication which we love here in Jersey where we're from, and this is a place where you can get a car. The price drops all the time, and they let you know. They let you know when your car is ready and when you can get it. The communication part is the best thing for.
Speaker 7: Me, Scott agreed in depth vehicle Reviews. Car Grews will connect you with trusted dealerships when you're ready, insuring and transparent and hassle free buying process. With over four million listings, they have more car listings than any other major online automotive marketplace in the US. So you can find the best deal, buy or sell your next car today with car Gurus at car gurus dot com. Go to car grews dot com to make sure your big deal is the best deal that's c r g r us dot com, car gurus dot com.
Speaker 3: All right, we welcome our friend Derek Lewandowski to the show. Of course, the host of Pinstripe Territory Yankees podcaster. He's been doing it a ton of time, sixty seven thousand on YouTube. Derek, what is up, my friend? How are you?
Speaker 1: Oh? I'm just looking forward to this fun weekend rematch we got going on.
Speaker 3: Shall you and I make a little bit of a bet on that.
Speaker 1: Let's do it, Let's go. I'm ready, all right, all right.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say, just straight up, just straight up, for series win. If the Yankees win, I donate to a charity of your choice fifty bucks. If the Dodgers win, you donate fifty bucks to my charity. Is that fair?
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: Let's do it. Let's do it for the pops, all right. I've been the first to say I don't think we're talking about the Yankees enough, Derek. This is a team that has a seven game leading the division, the largest division lead. Aj S piss because he can't hear us, or we can't hear him. Probably Yankees. We always give Cashman grief. Let's give him some praise. What's making them feel good? And kind of running away with things?
Speaker 1: You know, Plan B has turned out to be an a plus. I mean, the plan was to sign Juan Soto and to probably do something similar like they did last year with Judge and Center, Soto and Wright. They you know, spent that money elsewhere. Obviously, Paul Goldschmith sitting in about three fifties on pace for I believe about two hundred hits. Max Freed is pitching like a Cy Young Award winner, and I mean Bellinger has really turned it on lately, so right now, the backup plan has made the Yankees, in my opinion, a much more well rounded team than the one that you guys spent all winter dunking on for not being fundamentally sound and all the problems we had in the World Series. I think you should be prepared for a much tighter baseball team and a much better base running team and a much better contact hitting team as we approach this weekend.
Speaker 5: Wait, so you're saying Cashman did a good job? Is that what I heard you say?
Speaker 1: I know, I mean that sound you hear is the four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, Just you know, hell freezing over. That crackling noise is me admitting that Cashman did a fantastic job. And by the way, I love the mustache. You got that feel of like the nineteen seventies rockin'. I love it. I mean that suits you, man.
Speaker 5: I appreciate that you're not the first person to acknowledge that I wasn't good looking before the mustache, And really it's not hurting anything that was going on. But so cash Cashman's moves. Obviously he took all that money that he wasn't gonna spend on Wan and he put it elsewhere. So does this mean the next time Wan comes back to the Bronx he gets cheered because the Booze were kind of eyewashed because they didn't want him back. Look at what they got in place of them.
Speaker 1: Well, I think a lot of Yankees fans still view him, regardless of what happened afterwards, as being kind of a turncoat for going to our city rival for really a small amount of money in the grand scheme of things, over what the Yankees offered. I believe it's five million, but one less year so I'll hire aav and saying it was a Mets town. I think that was what really set fans off, and I don't think that they'll ever stop booing him just for that. I mean, Jesus, Rice could come back from wherever he is and say it's a Mets town, and he would get booed at Yankee Stadium. It doesn't matter who says it's a Mets town, they're getting booed and and Soto. I'm sorry, you know exception, Derek.
Speaker 6: Can I just say this first of all? Can we bring on a lawna at the same time a lana?
Speaker 4: You work?
Speaker 6: You love the Dodgers, Okay, they have a pretty high payroll. You also work for the Red Sox. They have a lot of money. They're kind of like the Cubs.
Speaker 4: They play cheap.
Speaker 6: Okay, Derek, you root for the Yankees.
Speaker 4: You do a show about the Yankees. You guys are big markets. Fifty dollars, fifty dollars, that's where're going. Fifty dollars wager?
Speaker 1: Can we do one hundred?
Speaker 3: I mean I don't have I don't have big league money like you do, Pierzinski, with your Toro toilets and all of the crap that you have in your house and all of these things. I'm happy to do one hundred. I just didn't want to assume that Derek wanted to do that. I don't even know what his charity of choice is. Mine is my my own charity. My own nonprofits, so I didn't want to be assumptive, if you will.
Speaker 1: So honestly, Alana, it's gonna be the true dogs versus cats because I'm a cat charity guy, so it's really gonna We're gonna be helping animals either way, So no matter who wins, and I'm happy to do one hundred dollars because I don't think that the Dodgers are going to win.
Speaker 3: Wow, Okay, now here is the bet we're shaking, all right? But yeah, that's that's perfect. Are they buyers at the trade deadline? Derek Lewandowski? This squad is obviously headed towards the postseason. What's their biggest need?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: Obviously third base has been kind of a shuffle. It would be nice if there was somebody out there, but I don't see an obvious fit. Every team needs pitching, you know, a starting pitcher would be nice, but I'm not sure who you're gonna get that's better than what they've got. Will Warren has been fantastic over his last month. Uh. He has a two point five e RA. As I mentioned, Max Freed and Carlos Rodond both dominating Rodond six and oh in his last eight appearances with a one point twenty seven max Freed is insane, and you got Clark Schmidt as a potential piece to that playoff rotation. You only need four starters in the rotation, so if you go out and get a starter, you're probably getting a depth piece because I don't know who's better than those guys. And you got Luis Heo coming back from injury. We'll see what he can do. I hope he's strong, but coming back from an injury, you never know. So I would say third base would be the spot, but again, I'm not sure who they could go out and get. That is a real upgrade. So if I'm Brian Cashman, I'm looking at the bullpen, I want to strengthen the bullpen. I'm looking at teams that have fallen out of it. Then maybe have an arm that gives you a funky look. Maybe somebody you don't even need, somebody who has insane numbers, just somebody who's a different look, maybe misses some bats, can get some of those middle inning outs, because right now the Yankees are a little bit thin in the bullpen, despite the stats for the bullpen being pretty good. I don't know if the Orioles would make Felix Bautista available if they really fall out of it, But that would be the guy that if I'm cashman, I'm willing to overpay a little bit, even though it's kind of an indivision trade. They have done that before with Zach Britton. That's the guy I've been promoting on my trade, Cashman, go do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Felix Batista. The Orioles are out of it. They've not fallen. If they fall out of it, they're falling out of it, all right. What about judgism though, Derek saying that he's willing to play third Are you are you buying that?
Speaker 1: I do buy it. You know, We've got Dj Lemayhew back, and he's looked really good defensively at second base and he's a Gold Glover, but he still isn't hitting very much. I think his swing has looked better than it did last year when his legs were clearly not under him. We've seen him drive the ball with more authority, but it hasn't translated into a lot of stats yet. Over the next week, I guess we'll find out what Dj Lemayhew can do. As we approach Jazz's return. As long as Jazz is in the lineup, I don't really care where he plays second base and third base. He looked good to me both both spots. I want him to hit a little bit better than he was right before he got injured. He hit all these home runs coming out of the gate with the torpedo bat, and I think he got it into his mind. You know, he had this friendly wager with Aaron Judge about who would hit a more combined home runs and stolen bases. How about who gets on base? How about who sets the table. That's what I want from Jazz jais and when he comes back DJ, I'm comfortable with him at either second or third base if he hits so I don't think I think it's you know, six and one half dozen of the other. But it is good to have Jazz coming back because he does disrupt the pitcher when he's on base. If he can get on base.
Speaker 5: I feel like Carlos Rodin anytime Cole is out has stepped up for this. Oh yeah, name do you feel like he's going to surpass Max Freed at some point this year? Max obviously coming in with a new contract, and everybody has a stinker here and there. Max hasn't yet. Is there a chance that Rodin's trajectory that he's I think it's his last eight starts, he's been like career best eight starts. Does he pass Max Freed as the number one in this rotation?
Speaker 1: It's hard to say. I mean, he has looked tremendous and you don't see guys rebound the way that Carlos Rodin has. When he first got to the Yankees, you know, he had problems not only with his health, he had a back injury that kind of limited him that first year. Gave up a ton of home runs. He had two games where he gave up eight runs in the first inning. There was a game where Matt Blake, the pitching coach, came out to the mound and Carlos turned his back. He had the blow and the kiss incident on you know, on the road to some Yankees fans. But last year he committed himself. He got into better shape. I think he got to a better place mentally. He had two really great stretches that kind of sandwiched a bad stretch. This year. He got out of the gate kind of rough with the three run home run ball, you know in I think three of his first four starts and then it's like he just flipped the switch and he's been lights out. I don't know if he's going to pass Max Freed at this point. I don't think that really matters. You know, when the playoffs rolled around, I think they'll go with, you know, whoever they feel is the better fit for that matchup. But I just want to say, whatever Carlos Rodin has done to a just is commendable, not only in terms of his pitching, but his physical fitness. He's lost a lot of weight. He's pitching with more confidence. I wonder if the beard has something to do with that. He just looks like the serial killer that we saw with you know, the White Sox and the Giants, much more so than we saw the last two seasons with the Yankees.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, the facial hair is definitely what's going to bring the World Series trophy. But here's my question. The Wan Soto trade is still paying dividends for the Yankees. Trent Grisham has been otherworldly, kind of falling off a tick now, but does he continue to play well enough that your Boo Jay som Domingez loses playing time when there's a situation where they have to choose between the two of them, or are there paths crossing here where Domingos is going up and Grisson's coming down.
Speaker 1: I think that Grisham is reverting to the mean a little bit, regressing to the mean. I mean, he's not a guy who's ever hit three hundred in his career. So when he was hitting three hundred for the first month and a half, with you know, a home run every other day, you knew that it just was not sustainable. He has made some adjustments to his stance. He's getting his hands a little bit further away. It looks like maybe either his timing is a little bit off right now or the league has kind of adjusted kind of getting in under those hands a little bit more. He's struggling a little bit with the down in and breaking ball, which is something he was really doing a good job hitting early on in the season, Jason, you know, until he hits left handed pitching a little bit better, I think he's at risk of losing a little bit of playing time. That's one great thing about switch hitters in general is you can just plug them in any given day because it doesn't matter who's on the male, lefty, righty, but he's really really struggled from the right side. But from the left side, he's got about an eight fifty ops. He had the three home run game where two of the home runs were from the left side. He recently had that walkoff Grand Slam. He was the only player, I think in Major League history to have a three home run game, a Grand Slam, and a walkoff in the same month. And he did it as a twenty two year old rookie. I do think to a certain extent, they are passing cross or crossing paths rather. I think Dimingez, while he got off to kind of a little bit of a slow start in whose major league career, is starting to show that potential and starting to transform it into stats a little bit. And look, he's an excellent base runner too. He gives you more than just you know, the offensive numbers, the power. He's a great base runner. And we know how important that is. We saw it last year. Base running costs him in a lot of situations. And I can't tell you how many times this year I've said, man, that was a great That was a great read by Domingez on the bases or wow, I didn't think he'd score from first on that double, But the guy can cook on the basis, Derek, Before.
Speaker 3: We let you go, I want to ask you this question legitimately. Do you believe the Yankees are back in the World Series or do you worry that the Tigers will surpass them getting to the you know, the Winter Classic, Winter Classic like in hockey.
Speaker 1: Well, I do worry about the Tigers. I think the Tigers are probably right now the toughest team in the American League. In Tarik's school. I don't know if you guys saw his last outing. I happen to be watching that game live, and it was one of the best games I've ever seen pitched. I mean, it was up there with Carrie Wood in his twenty strikeout game in just terms of stuff, the best stuff I've ever seen live. You're talking about one hundred and two and in the ninth inning from a lefty. I can't see beating him twice in a short game series. Now, if you get to a seven game series, I think anything can happen, and a lot of it depends on who has home field advantage. I would rather not play, you know, four games in Detroit, that would you know, we've seen that match up well for the Yankees back in I believe it was two thousand and six and again in twenty twelve. Look, the Tigers are are no joke, and I think you just gotta, you know, let this thing play out, and you know, we'll see where everybody is at the end of the year.
Speaker 5: One of the questions we had earlier, what we're more surprised about the Mariners start, or are the location where the Mariners are in the West or the Yankees are in the East? Is the American League East, not the Beast. It's more the American League least this year. Or is it just a is it just a little bit of a slowdown in waiting for all the other teams to start to get hot.
Speaker 1: Well, what really surprises me is how the Orioles have fallen off. I mean, I thought they were going to be top of the division for a decade when they won one hundred games a couple of years ago. Their pitching has fallen off, their hitting hasn't developed like we thought it would. You know, the Blue Jays always seemed to be a team that hovers around five hundred, and you keep waiting for them to take that next step, and they just haven't. The Red Sox were a team that everybody was very high on this year because of their young talent, but right now they're under five hundred and they just lost Bragman. You know, the Rays are always tough, but I don't think that they have what it takes in terms of just talent on their roster right now to overcome the Yankees. So I've been saying the Yankees need to seize this opportunity where they're playing well, and that's one of the reasons why this weekend is so important. To run away and hide, you know, get a twelve or thirteen game lead in the division, and then maybe you can rest some guys down the stretch. You can maybe take it easy a little bit with Luis. He'll not rush him back and have him be at full strength coming into the postseason. Maybe you don't have to be as desperate at the trade deadline and trade your top prospect. But you know, the Mariners, obviously we faced them a couple of weeks ago. They played three very tough games against the Yankees. They've obviously got good pitching. They're hitting has been better this year. You know, the n West is always tough. The Astros probably are going to contend with them all year long. But I do think that in terms of the division strength, the East is probably the least competitive. I mean, you look at the Central you got four teams legitimately who could be in the playoffs right now the A at least it looks like it's Yankees and maybe one other is going to compete.
Speaker 3: Derek, What is over your right shoulder? What are all those things over your right shoulder? They look like CDs? No, no, no, all the way towards the wall. Towards the wall.
Speaker 1: So I have a Blu Ray collection. I'm a big movie collector, and I'm a very smart investor too, So over the years I've invested thousands and thousands of dollars in physical media, which I don't use anymore. So, you know, so you know, I might have to sell a few of them to pay off this bed. If the Yankees don't, don't don't come through for me one.
Speaker 3: Hundred dollars to Guidry's Guardian Foundation after the Dodgers take the Yankees at Dodger Stadium. Derek, we appreciate you very much. Thank you. So much for your time and don't forge guys. You can check out Derek on pinstripe Territory. He does a tremendous job wherever you get your podcast check him out on YouTube as well. We'll be right back with hot Corner