Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys, Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 6: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com. Were with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought us, Nick Harris and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 7: Hello, guys, welcome back to the Break presented by LG. We are back here with the full crew. I am hosting today despite Derek being here. He decided to what do they say, throwing the towel or whatever today, but I'm taking over. But no, no, this last two days, y'all have been working on a very exciting pro that's gonna come out later on. So that's something to look forward to, something very very exciting for all the fans out there. In the meantime, this week and last week was very very busy, and especially yesterday, a lot of new signings and all that. We'll get to the combine and what happened over there, but wanted to start off with the main thing that's happening later today. Zach Martin. He's gonna hold his press conference for his official announcement of his retirement, which is tears under my eyes. But that's gonna be happening live at eleven am this morning, so right after the show, you guys can tune in on Dallas Cowboys dot com and watch that. So for now, we're gonna go ahead and talk about Osa, the first contract that came out. Initially, it was expected or talks were going around that the Cowboys could potentially franchise tag him, but they ended up working out a deal and signed yesterday. And the total deal is for four years and a total of eighty million dollars and with fifty two million guarantee. Nick, since you're looking right at me, let's start with you and in your opinions and thoughts on this contract that the Cowboys were able to do with a key player in the defense.
Speaker 8: Yeah, when I went to bed on Monday night, I was preparing for a franchise tag situation because obviously yesterday was the deadline at three pm Central time to get a franchise tag done. And what that would have basically done for the Cowboys is it would have put a placeholder on Osa to guzero for the twenty twenty five season. And it still would have allowed them continue those long term negotiations for a long term deal going into the future. But it also in some ways kind of would have set a floor at twenty five million, because that's what that franchise tag was. So if you're looking at from the team's perspective, there's some urgency to get that done before the franchise tag, and that's what they did. And fans, if y'all do, if y'all did not like Osa to Guzuo before, I think y'all should a little bit more coming into today because this is a team friendly deal. At the end of the day, this is four years, eighty million dollars. Had he waited until free agency and had he been able to push that into March twelfth and still been on the open market at that time, he could have gotten nine figures out of this ordeal. There were teams that were expected to show high interest in him, teams that need a defensive tackle, but also Digizua wanted to stay in Dallas, and there was a thought around the organization when the season ended, it was like, hey man, we've loved having you around here, but we don't think we can afford you. He's like hoh, wait up, but let's see what we can work out something. And sure enough they're able to work out something. Also, Digiz do a big time team friendly deal and on top of that, it's only a six point twenty five million dollar cap hit in twenty twenty five. That is massive, massive in a good way. It allows this team to do a lot of things. It allows them to walk through a lot of doors, a lot of doors that they walked through yesterday.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I think that this goes to show you, though, when you have an agent that will work with you, and that's really the most important thing. It always is about a two way street. Sometimes you catch agents that are you know, they're really like, listen, we got to do this. We got to make sure that we got all these things covered. Not that Osa's agent wasn't prepared and ready and they had an idea, but you do. If you have a very good working relationship with an agent, you can do a lot of good things. And so they caught a good one on this one. So that's very very fortunate. We've had some here lately though, where they're very good agents, but they are going to try and get everything they can out of the deal and you know, the player has to also be able to step in and say what his desire is to be able to do so good for the agent, good for Osa, good for the Cowboys getting that all done. And this is obviously a player that Matt eberflu says, these coaches have come into the building. Matt Eberflus a disciple, if you want to say, of Rod Marinelli, the three technique is very very important to his defense, to his scheme, and he felt like that Osa was.
Speaker 4: A big, big part of that.
Speaker 9: It's interesting from a scouting perspective as Nick and I work on the draft, is this is a really really deep class when it comes to one technique's three technique. So maybe you're sitting there thinking, wow, man, with it's being so deep, why would they Well, it just shows you that Ibra Flu's you know, the staff felt like that this player was more important than any other player that could be on that board that they're going to take in this draft. Not I think they're still going to take defensive tackles, but it kind of it kind of puts them in a little bit different direction this time around.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think Brian, when I when I look at it from that perspective. The one thing I think about is there are a number of positions that I think the Dallas Cowboys going to have to address this offseason.
Speaker 5: This just gives them one.
Speaker 10: Less option, one less position that they have that they have to address in the draft. It doesn't mean they may not find a player that they like in the draft at the defensive tackle position, but it's one less position that they have to address. We know there are going to be other positions that are very important for them to address. He threw either through free agents or through the draft or both. This just gives them a little bit of clearance. And I'll tell you this, I think we all agreed on this show. There were two players and you guys may even have more. But for me, there were two players going into this offseaing and I felt offseason that I felt like it was important Dallas to resign if possible.
Speaker 5: One of them is also diggi Zoo.
Speaker 10: I think that's a huge win, a huge get for them to keep him, and especially at the price that they got him. But in addition to that, I think if they can get something done with Jordan Lewis, then to me, I look at this offseason I'm like, Okay, they kept the guys they needed to keep. Now we'll see what other guys they can go out and maybe improve their team with in free agency, and then what are they do in the draft, And let's see if they can get the right talent put together for this team in order for them to compete more favorably this year than they did last year.
Speaker 7: Well, moving on to the second guy that they were able to agree to terms with. I don't believe he's signed yet, but they've agreed on something. It's a one year deal with CJ. Goodwin, a guy that's also very much a key player to not only like the defense, but also the special teams. He does a lot on that side. He's not a flashy player, but someone that does serve a lot of good What are your thoughts on this deal and what he brings to this new set of coaches, Bryan.
Speaker 4: You know, I've had my issues with c J.
Speaker 9: Goodwin and and it's it's well known, and you know, I felt like that this was always a core special teams player for one specific coach. Coach is no longer here with us, you know, it's and I don't mean that as a goodbye you know rip thing. I mean that he's now with the Tennessee Titans with bones fossil, and so to me, I was I was a little bit surprised that maybe that that combination didn't show up in Nashville.
Speaker 4: Uh. It just shows you that C. J.
Speaker 9: Goodwin wants to be here, he likes to be here, and you know he's comfortable being here, and so uh yeah, it's uh. Schottenheimer has a a history with him just for him being on the staff. So he understands, Uh, we'll see with Nick Sours and the new SEC, the new excimy special teams coach, he might have been watching tape and saying, listen, Goodwin is a good player. We can use him, is how we'll use him. But yeah, once again, another one year deal, another friendly type of a deal. But I'm always looking to kind of upgrade that position.
Speaker 8: I think if we're looking at it from a training camp perspective and we're trying to keep an eye on who's going to be the starting gunners on punt team and who's gonna be those guys running down guys on kick team, I think Jalen Brooks and Marquise Bell have done more than enough to earn some credit in that respect. So is it, you know, maybe a situation where CJ. Goodwin's fighting for a job at training camp. You know, that's that's probably a question.
Speaker 9: He had a sponsor before he had a sponsor. I don't know if he has a sponsor here or he's going.
Speaker 8: To be thirty five years old next year. You wonder about that, but they're at least going to give him that shot.
Speaker 10: I have a question for you, guys, do you think the day of the special team's ace, the guy that makes the team only because of what he does in special teams on special teams has changed a bit with the new rules around kick return with the kickoff, because there you don't need the guy that can run to get downfield and get to the ball. Like still the punts, it's still you still need your gunners. But is it a situation where, because there is less opportunity for them to really make impact, now you're more concerned about giving that spot to someone who is just a special team's ace versus saying, can my fourth wide receiver, fifth wide receiver, Can my fourth cornerback fifth cornerback actually play that role really well? And that's because they can do something else pretty well, it's more valuable to have that than have a special team case.
Speaker 9: Well, Steven Jones and the Competition committee meeting in Indianapolis is talking about the kickoff rules again, and well, you know, are they saying, hey, instead of putting the ball in the twenty five, what if we put the ball in the thirty five? Are we going to encourage you to keep kicking it in the end zone? And if you're playing against somebody like Turpin, Yeah, you know, having the ball at the thirty five is better than having it at the forty five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, kind of a thing. So yeah, I think, to me.
Speaker 9: This is one of those times where you look at it and you know, you say, yeah, that might not mean as much, but the league is trying to force kickoff returns, and you know, the Cowboys had some really good success with their kickoff returns, so I would be encouraged that way. But I also, you're gonna have to start to cover kicks too, and you can't have the ball starting off at midfield, so you're gonna have to have some guys that are able to to to do those those coverage things.
Speaker 4: Uh, you know you need.
Speaker 9: But maybe it's too To your point, Derek, is that you need to find running backs that can play special teams. You need to find receivers that can play special teams. You need to you you are taking up a roster spot, and you are taking up a roster spot on the game day active, so to have you know, to have a you know, the Cowboys for a while there, it seems like they haven't had running backs that have played special teams.
Speaker 4: You know. You look at with Zeke and others.
Speaker 9: I mean, uh, even with uh with you know, with yeah exactly Cook, you know, even even with Douce.
Speaker 8: Vaughan, they tried.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 9: So what I'm saying it's, you know, if you if you're if your roster is set up in a way where you don't have receivers and running backs and others playing that position, you're going to have to have one or two guys be specialists.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 7: Well, if it was with CJ, I think he feels a position that would have been filled through free agency with another player. So it's like kind of getting about the same thing that you would have found maybe through free agency with someone else. But in this instance, you get somebody that already has been here and you get to keep working with him and coaching him under a different voice. So potentially it could be a lot better for him this year and what he can bring to the table.
Speaker 10: Well, let me also say real quick, I want to say this about CJ. I think this last year to me was a little different than what he's been to this point. There was a time when you'd see CJ on on these these these special teams type plays, what he was consistently the man downfield making the tackle consistently. I mean almost every single time. He had the speed, he had the facility, yeah, all that that it takes to get down there and get in and make the tackle. This last year, I think is the first time I started to see a little crack in that. And my question is just it was that where we're starting to see a little bit of age or what we just seeing a year where maybe it just wasn't his best year. And it doesn't mean he was a slouch. I don't think there were situations where he wasn't down there. It just wasn't like every single time he's the guy making the play. If you're going to be the special teams ace, you kind of want to see it every single time, right, because you're taking a spot only for that purpose. But my interest is in seeing was last year in aberration or was that kind of the beginning of the decline that happens with every player.
Speaker 9: I kind of felt like I saw more penalies than I did tackles. You know, if he had like he had four or five penalties. You know, if your guys the special teams ace, I don't think you can work through four or five penalties a game on that guy.
Speaker 7: Fair point. To close off the all the signings that occurred yesterday, let's talk about brock Hoffman. He's another one who was set to become an exclusive rights free agent and the Cowboys ended up working out the deal. Signing the deal with him, what I mean to me, that's like a sign of relief. You get it said done. Today we know that Zach Martin is announcing his retirement and he's the top candidate to become the one taking over the position. There're still talks about what's going to happen if you're moving out guys, what's gonna happen with Cooper Bebe in the center.
Speaker 8: But what does this mean for the Cowboys?
Speaker 7: Knowing that they have now brock Kaffman set.
Speaker 8: I mean, if you look at it, he's a leader in the clubhouse as far as the guys that they do have in the building that could be a potential replacement at right guard for Zach Martin. They're gonna go get an interior guy in this draft. Sure. Is it going to be early, is it gonna be late? Who knows. You're also getting Nathan Thomas back from injury. You haven't seen what he could do in that interior offensive line. You also factor in Awesome Richards. You know, he a guy that they maybe want to slide back inside and see what he can do with that spot. There's gonna be a lot of moving around. TJ. Bass too. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention him. But brock Hoffman is the leader in the clubhouse with those guys. I mean, he started seven games last year. He started at center, he started at right guard. I mean he played so well at center that the conversation has been brought up about, Okay, do you move Cooper bv back to guard and do you put Hoffman at center? And so this is a really important guy to bring back. He's kind of the sixth man of that offensive line at worst, and those six men they certainly get paid. You know, call him the Jamal Crawford of this offensive line. I'd take him every day of the week.
Speaker 4: Explain who Jamal Crawford is for everybody out there.
Speaker 8: One of the best six man of all time.
Speaker 9: There you go, yeah, you know to me, I have a lot of respect for brock Hoffman, and I think he played a lot better than I even thought he could play. Don't want to play brock Hoffman for seventeen weeks, No, I really don't. I think where he plays very well is if he's a five or six game guy and he could step in he's quality depth that way. I think Nick's absolutely right. I do think that they're going to look for a guard here, and it could be very very early in this draft. So I would be very mindful and aware of that. If you follow the draft show, we've been talking about a lot about these offensive linemen. We've been talking about tackles that could play guard. But you know, if you listen to the conversations though, coming out of the combine, it was like they were pretty much talking about this offensive line, and even Brian Schottenheimer was talking about Tyler Geidton and you know stuff like that. So obviously they have an understanding of who they are.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 9: But I could definitely see him adding more pieces, and I could see him adding a piece at right guard.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I would say brock Kaufman is he He is a player that I think allows them to also be able to draft best player available. And what I mean by that is and they talk about this a lot. They try in free agency and in signing their own guys to be able to free themselves up on up on draft data where there is no position they have to draft at any particular time. That allows them to be more savvy on draft day because teams ahead of them and teams behind them don't know exactly what they're going to have to do at a specific spot. So this to me is just you get a guy. He's great for depth if you need to start him because the draft just doesn't fall to you in that way, you feel like you could be okay there. So I think that this signing is as much about the draft and giving themselves the opportunity to draft the best player available as anything else.
Speaker 9: Yeah, they could also be in the market for you know, there's gonna be names on the free agency list when that opens up, and you know, March twelfth, when that happens, we could start to talk about those names a.
Speaker 4: Little bit more freely.
Speaker 9: But there are some connected Dots players with with with Adams the line coach that and maybe a prominent free agent that he would like to have that is a guard. But we'll get to that on the March twelfth day.
Speaker 7: Let's go ahead and take our first break. When we come back, let's talk about what's currently happening with the salary cap around the NFL and what the Cowboys were able to do to CD's contract, being able to free up some space there in the salary cap.
Speaker 12: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and t five G, fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 13: Five G requires compatible plan and device. Five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 11: It's the official min's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 2: Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 3: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas. Take five Oil Change, a proud partner of the Cowboys, is faster than you think. They're so fast you don't even have to get out of your car. You can take advantage of Take five's stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations.
Speaker 2: Across the Dallas area.
Speaker 3: And remember at Take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think that means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration. Take five, the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: From the field to the festivities.
Speaker 14: Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stand tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the lucase Store at the Starn Frisco or online at Lucasey dot com.
Speaker 8: Lu Casey the official boot.
Speaker 14: Of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 15: How do you tell the world about all the great gifts in the Yetti Store?
Speaker 8: Letter Rip Troy.
Speaker 16: All right, folks, let's get started with Yeddi, French Press and Joel Calvy This Day's Hot for hours and French Press thirty four as for U six four for the cruise of yetty French Press.
Speaker 2: What mixed waterproof bags? Bags of waterproof?
Speaker 16: Some where's the waterproof Douvil's waterproof bag bags forts mostly the watersh to get a waterprove Yetti Bag got smell something cooking po new cast iron skillets made to be passed down like Mama's recipes. Take a steak, cornback, compace pot pie and matatoes. Next over, well three sizes of the yetty cast iron skillets.
Speaker 10: Gear gifts and product experts visit the Yetti store on McKinney Street and at South Lake Town Square.
Speaker 2: Today back to the break.
Speaker 7: Welcome Back. This is the second segment brought to you by blockchain dot Com Ding ding ding. There you go, Thanks Chris okay uh. To other guys that I free ought to mention, they just recently pulled the trigger on that and it was a pretty is the same thing as Brod Hoffman because these other two guys were also exclusive rights free agents as well. We got Juania Thomas and then Tyres Wheat. Why can't you guys tell me about these two guys.
Speaker 8: Yeah, one year, Thomas, I think at worst is your eventual CJ could win replacement. I think at best is a guy who could legitimately play safety one day for this team. We've seen him get rotated in. Whenever Donovan Wilson's had some struggles in the past couple of years, or if there's been an injury to either him or Mollie Cooker. We've seen one Yea Thomas rotate in. He got a healthy amount of time last year towards the back half of the season. He's a guy you want to keep in this building for sure. Also for locker room camaraderie. I mean, he's a big energy in that locker room. Guys love him. And then tyros Whet just another rotational defensive end guy that they've had for the last couple of years. He was an undrafted free agent out Mississippi State in twenty twenty three, made his way out to the fifty three man roster both of these last two years. Hasn't really played a whole lot, but he's been really crucial on special teams. So a couple more special teams yield.
Speaker 7: Okay, well, let's go ahead and move on to the salary cap conversation. And before we get into that specifically, let's talk about what they did with City Lamps restructure. They restructure his contract and basically we're able to save the team twenty million dollars for twenty twenty five for this season this year. And those are pretty easy move that. You know, it doesn't mean that city is not getting his money. He's getting it. They're just pushing it down the line. Something that kind of made my eyes wide open is to see how much the salary cap has increased for this year. It went from two hundred and fifty five point four million dollars in cap to now at record setting two hundred and seventy nine point two million. You're making that face there like it's nothing. I mean, I see these numbers. I'm like, WHOA, where all these dollars coming from? Oh my god. Okay, but let's start with you, Derek White, open yeah, with your eyes wide open. What does this mean?
Speaker 8: What?
Speaker 7: What do you feel this does for the Cowboys with this year and what they were able to do and now figuring out ways to uh find room in the salary and create room in space.
Speaker 10: First of all, I thought this has always been expected that they were gonna they were going to do this. My expectations will probably do something similar with DK have to. But but the way I look at it is it's just giving them money to operate. They there's a lot of money that comes up the salary cap that has to happen with your draft picks. They want to have I assume a little money be able to sign obviously some of these guys that they want to keep, and then also my hope, my hope is that they're freeing up a little bit of money so they can get a little more active in free agency.
Speaker 5: I think after last season.
Speaker 10: I think the amount of players that they lost last year, we saw that the results of that. Once they started losing, guy's injury, and in this business, you have to be prepared for injury. And so the hope is that this year they go a little bit opposite of that. I don't expect them to be like, We're going out and getting all the greatest free agents out there, but I do expect it if they can get one or two guys that really can fill a specific role for them. Maybe it's a linebacker, maybe it's a running back, maybe it's a cornerback, guard, maybe it's a guard. I think there are some positions where you're like, they can go out and get a guy that is may not be the top of the market type guy, but a guy that certainly can be very solid for you at a certain position. Then I think they're freeing up the money to be able to give them Maybe that latitude to do it.
Speaker 5: That's at least my hope.
Speaker 4: Nick.
Speaker 9: I don't know if you've heard different from me on this, but I as much as they'd like to bottom fish at times for free agents, I heard that maybe the plan is to look at more the middle of the pack of the free agents. What Derek was talking about, not the you know, maybe not day one, maybe not jumping in there and making a massive pitch for somebody and trying to get that done, but maybe more about of the middle of the board, you know, maybe not sit out two weeks of it then all of a sudden jump in. Maybe it's maybe it's two or three days and then you jump in. I've kind of hearing some whispers that that might be the case, that they're more interested in looking at the middle of free agency.
Speaker 4: Than they are at the bottom.
Speaker 9: Not to say they're not going to try and do something, because they did some really some very good things you look at with Carl Lawson and what he was able to bring, but kind of down there, they're thinking about more of that middle, not maybe day one, day two, or day three, but start talking to us at day four, day five and go in that route. So that in self I think is a very encouraging way to go considering how things have gone here the last couple of years.
Speaker 8: I mean, if you look at it and the struggles that the Cowboys had highlighted last year with all the injuries, is that the depth wasn't ready to go, and so you can expect free agency to be an addressing of that depth as well as a draft class, and this definitely gives them the freedom to do so.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think the one thing, and I don't know about you guys, the one thing that I've learned from watching Philadelphia is you have to be able to and we'd like to talk around here about twenty four to seven, you know, with the way you look at you know, player personnel. To me, the team in Philadelphia, they draft, they trade, and they signed free agents. I'm not saying you have to sign every single high free agent, but you can't just be in one of those areas. You know, they tell us, hey, we're a twenty four to seven group around here. Well you need to kind of catch up in that way. And maybe this is a change. Maybe we're going to see a more active and free agency. You know, they got on this early about getting Osa done you know, now we're starting to hear whispers. Nick's starting to report about, you know, Micah Parsons, and then potentially I would not be surprised if Nick writes a story and tells me about Deron Bland is going to be somebody that they're talking about getting done here. So being very proactive in that, playing in the middle of the of the.
Speaker 4: Free agency pool.
Speaker 9: Also having the flexibility and the ability to want to trade for players, I think you have to be proficient in all three of those. That's the one thing I learned from watching the Philadelphia Eagles build their team.
Speaker 10: Can I give you an example. I go back to the twenty twenty three offseason. To me, that was what I expect them to all right, at least I'm hoping that they're willing to do this year. They acquired Brandon Cooks, they acquired Stephan Gilmore, they a Chumway Doga, they acquired Ronald Jones. These were guys that were not top of the top line guys. They were guys that were kind of in the middle pack. And by the way, some of them didn't work out to be great players. Ronald Jones didn't really give them anything, but the point is they were active enough to where they were trying to fill holes and get guys that they thought, Hey, they're at a point in their career, let's see what they've got. Let's see if we can get something out of them. And I thought Stephan Gilmore played really well that year for the Cowboys, and Cooks has kind of been up and down, but I thought, by and large, again that's the kind of moves I want to see them make, is take a shot here and there, and you see how those play out.
Speaker 5: But in free agency it's always going to be a bit of a crapshoot.
Speaker 10: But I do think I'd like to see them a little more active like they were that year.
Speaker 8: Are you bringing Cooks back? No?
Speaker 5: I think I'm really I want to go to try another.
Speaker 8: I agree.
Speaker 5: I was just curious if there Yeah, no, would you would you go?
Speaker 10: Would you go all in on somebody like DeVante Adams who's been released now by the Jets?
Speaker 8: Probably not. I want a healthy Robin to see D's Batman, and I don't feel like that would be more so like too bad man's being in the room staring at each other.
Speaker 5: Is that not a bad thing?
Speaker 8: A good thing to be a bad thing.
Speaker 4: Could I convince you at thirteen million a year.
Speaker 8: For DeVante Adams? Can you get him at thirteen million a year?
Speaker 9: I'm just going to say that that he played really about twenty eight I believe it was last year. He's more of his value is if you look at the how his projections of numbers and stuff are potentially what he should earn or could earn. Thirteen million dollars seems to be the number that people are throwing out there. Maybe that's the thing that we want to look at.
Speaker 8: If it's thirteen million, Yeah, but I don't think it's going to be Yeah, I'll toe you this.
Speaker 9: I will say this though, And the more studies you did on say, for example, for OsO Diggi Zua, there was you know, over the cab does a thing the valuation of players. He was right around a twenty million dollars a year player for you last year what they signed him for twenty million dollars. So maybe there's maybe some of these agents are realizing, Okay, this is the value Adams is he Is.
Speaker 4: He a thirty five million dollar year player? Absolutely not?
Speaker 9: Is he a twenty five million dollars a year player? Absolutely not is he a fifth Is he a thirteen to fifteen million dollar player? Okay, now we're talking. Now, we're talking about things. So to me, if that's the number and they want to do it, and they want to do it for just a couple of years something like that or a year, I would absolutely kick the tires on that one.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I don't want to kill a show idea because we're going to talk about this next week. We're going to dive into some of the names. But just go look at the number of names. The number like, there's a lot of big time wide receivers that will be available in free agency this year when that happened, and there's always a chance that that drives the price down. It's simple to ply and demand, right, If you have a lot of something, then typically the price is going to be less expensive than if you.
Speaker 5: Only have a few.
Speaker 10: And and I think that could help you to your point, Brian, of thinking about all those things and what he may end up costing. It may end up being driven down by all the guys that are available.
Speaker 5: At for you age.
Speaker 8: It's a similar conversation if you flip it to the running backs, because there's not a lot and then you look at a guy like Rigo Dawdle, he's probably gonna get paid more than what he would have been a safe He was a free agent last year.
Speaker 10: A those running backs last year, they all a lot of them took took deals that were not as big as they thought they were going to get six and then they all proved like they all went out involved and then now everybody's like, oh wow, man on art contract. Art did, Yeah, yeah, that was the highest running back in his head, twenty million dollars.
Speaker 8: They'll be paying him twenty million dollars in twenty twenty nine, which.
Speaker 2: Is twenty eight twenty Oh that it was a two year deal.
Speaker 8: So it was, but they added those two years on the end of Oh it's a weird eng Yes, so like basically it has four years left on his deal, but that money doesn't.
Speaker 5: Care howly be at that point, I don't know how.
Speaker 8: But I know that that cap is going to be shisty.
Speaker 4: They're not worried about that.
Speaker 2: For some reason.
Speaker 4: They don't worry. They're they're planning in a parade.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 7: All right, let's take our second and final break. When we come back, we'll talk about some of the things that came out from the NFL combine. But before we go to break, Derek, do me the owners go ahead and read us LG please tell me about l G l lead.
Speaker 10: LG is the best TV in the game. But don't take our word for it. Digital trends say it the l G O lead G four has the best picture quality they've ever seen.
Speaker 5: For yourself at LG dot com fort slash o lead Evil.
Speaker 8: Is there your first time doing the read Yeah? Yeah, sales, It didn't even sound right like it sounded great, But.
Speaker 7: All right, let's go to break.
Speaker 15: Please if you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your cowboys than on an LG oh lead Evil TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play, every hit. I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines, that's how clear it is. It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 2: No one comes close.
Speaker 15: Lgoled Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason. See for yourself at LG dot com slash o Leedevo.
Speaker 17: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and.
Speaker 2: Off the field.
Speaker 17: Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, Gator utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 18: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 8: The wins will be even taste here. It's a Pepper thing.
Speaker 2: And we're going to overtie Erica.
Speaker 5: How much have I spent on concessions.
Speaker 19: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com, slash Erica by your Side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses me very Digital tools featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Englis language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored. Quality assurance message DAT raise and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a number FDIC.
Speaker 12: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop it running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast reliable, secure.
Speaker 13: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you for DDAs.
Speaker 7: Back to the break, Welcome back to the third segment presented by AT and T. AT and T Connecting changes absolutely everything.
Speaker 5: Yeah it does.
Speaker 7: Yes, so okay. Free agency starts in March March twelve. And something that came out from the NFL combine. It was a two words that was going around a lot of social media. Stephen Jones, he was the first one to speak to the media and he mentioned that they were gonna be selectively aggressive during Bryan.
Speaker 4: We can print T shirts around this place. We could, we could do something.
Speaker 2: I guess that's now the that's now the spraise of the.
Speaker 7: Awesome selectively aggressive. But I mean they've started off. They started off good with preventing certain players from going and we just talked about them, and they tend to do this though, they tend to sign their own and they started doing so. But I want to ask you, guys, what does selectively aggressive means to you? What is your interpretation of these two words put together? That's what it means that the Cowboys are planning or attempting to do in this free agency.
Speaker 10: See, that's what gives me hope that when I said that they would be active this year in free agency where they have not been is I do think they're gonna find one or two guys that are gonna shock some people and be like, we're gonna go after those guys because we think we got value there.
Speaker 2: That's our hope, right. But there's your hope when you Yeah.
Speaker 10: But when you say selectively aggressive, that's what it says to me is we're not going to be the team's just gonna be out there just flinging money around, but we're going to find a couple players that we really love.
Speaker 5: That we're going to say, we're going to go in and we're going to make a We're going to make it happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I agree, We'll see who those players are.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Also think Zoo, I think is an example of them being selectively aggressive. They found a identification of a guy that they want to bring back, and they were aggressive in pursuing him. I think there could be a couple of more inside the building that they don't want to let hit free agency, so that would be selectively aggressive as well. But as as far as free agency goes, I think I'm with you, Brian as far as they'll probably go after these mid tier type guys and maybe that's where they're aggressive.
Speaker 4: I hope they're selectively right, right, that's key.
Speaker 9: There's been some times around here where they've kind of played and they've dipped their toe in those pools Derek mentioned and not come up well, so yeah, they need a they need a run here from their pro department, now for the most part, has done a pretty solid job for them, but they are going to need if they're going to be selective. That tells me they've got an ideas they're looking at their pro personnel board of guys. Maybe at the combine there's some of the best tampering you'll ever see in the league goes on there, but that's okay. You know, you get an idea of these agents and who might be out there and who might you know, want to come to you for the right price and stuff. So if they're going to be selective, please be selectively right as you're doing this, because you're probably gonna take maybe two three shots of this thing, you know, and you need those players to step in and play it at a play at a very high level.
Speaker 7: Well, what I was gonna say, like, yes, it sounds good, and I agree with everything that you guys said, But I think where they get you is that sometimes they see value differently than what the general public sees. Like they'll see a certain player and they'll see them this guy, we find him very, very valuable to us. He has what we are looking for, but the general public, the fan base, and all the critics out there see it completely different and have a different perspective. So it's going to be interesting to see how a ligne those two views could potentially be this time around as opposed to previous years, and where they find that value at Nick, I'm gonna go towards you since you were there at the combine, what were some of the things that stood out to you the most during last week?
Speaker 8: Yeah, Jerry not talking was definitely interesting. I think you know when you pair that with he didn't talk in Las Colinas at the Winter meetings back in December, and then he didn't talk at the Senior Bowl and mobile granted he didn't make the trip. He's just been abnormally quiet. But he'll talk today at the Zach Martin presser, whether it be during or after week why do you think that happened?
Speaker 7: What do you think that is.
Speaker 8: I'm not gonna read too much into it. I've been asked a million times by it. I'm not gonna read too much into it. I can only take from what I know that has been communicated by the staff, and that this staff has been working over time since they got in the building to catch up on twenty twenty four season film, trying to figure out what they have in the building, because all these guys came from different places, so they're all trying to figure out what the team is actually here. That goes with the front office as well. So I do buy to a certain extent that these guys have been working like crazy to catch up and get ready for free agency. But also on that same token, Jerry has been knowing to talk in more stressful situations. So I don't know, we'll see. I guess we'll find out today. Maybe they wanted to wait until this Osa Diggyzy what a deal was done. I mean, when you look at it and it's super team friendly. Maybe they were telling Jerry like, hey, you don't say anything, because we think we can get a pretty good deal out of this. You know, maybe that's maybe that's part of it, but nevertheless, we'll we'll hear from them today.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm I'm just gonna go on this approach. I'm really disappointed he didn't get to talk on the bus because I learned a ton on that bus.
Speaker 8: Yeah, me too, I learned.
Speaker 4: I think Jerry's in a very relaxed state.
Speaker 9: I think he has the guys the gals around him in that bus that covered this team on a daily basis, that live with this team, and you know, guys and gals did he honestly he trusts, and so you get a very honest and open conversation. I think the questions are excellent that come out of there. I remember working here with Dallas Cowboys Dot and when we'd post that, and how much I enjoyed watching that, you know, because I felt like I got something out of that. And you know, maybe we're a point in time now where there's folks out there that complain about how much that Jerry Jones talks too much. You know, maybe we're in this new era now where we're not going to get ninety minutes on a bus anymore. We're gonna have to wait and maybe get fifteen to twenty minutes after an announcement of a retirement. So that part of it I think I really don't like because the bust part of it, to me, I learned a lot about this football team even working here, I learned a lot from where those questions came from those guys and gals. I'm disappointed we didn't get to see that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think for the media, obviously, it's a missed opportunity because how often do you get to sit down with he's the best head coaching, a GM an owner anywhere around the league and have real conversational out what's going on. And by the way, some of that's off the record stuff ar that doesn't ever get published, but it doesn't form the media on kind of the thought process of things that are going on. So I know from the media standpoint, that's a big miss for them, and a lot of those folks go down there specifically for the purpose of they know they're gonna have that time with Jerry. So from that standpoint, I think it's a miss. But the one thing I also think I know about Jerry is I don't think Jerry runs from controversy. He doesn't run from season, had season wasn't what it wanted to be they wanted it to be. He doesn't run from those kinds of situations. So I can trust the fact that if it didn't work out from a scheduling standpoint, that it didn't work out from a scheduling standpoint, it wasn't some reason like Jerry doesn't want to talk, Like I have never known Jerry not to want to talk. When it comes down to being accountable and speaking, he doesn't.
Speaker 5: You know, you might not always like what he has to say.
Speaker 10: But he's never He's never shown me that he's afraid to get out there and actually take the questions and answer them. So I just take it as hey, schedules are are what they are.
Speaker 4: Getting advised to. I might be getting advised to.
Speaker 9: You know, there's it might be getting advised you know, hey, let's control it this way and not control it in a way we're trying to hide anything. But you know, time, like I say, ninety minutes of Jerry Jones sitting in that environment is great, you know, twenty minutes of it, you feel like, did I get all my questions in?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 9: So maybe there's maybe there's some purpose here of trying to kind of limit some time to the access there.
Speaker 7: I know we had Brian Schottenheimer. He also spot spoke during that time at the NFL Combine and there were some interesting things that he talked about, and I think he the way he communicates everything sounds very promising at the moment. One of the things that he communicated was this whole switch potential switch that could happen in the O line, and we kind of discussed that earlier, but wanted to get a further opinion on this topic about when you start talking about do you want to move Cooper Bebee and what do you do with these other guys and moving guys around, and we know, like Brad Hoffman, he also has that flexibility. What are your thoughts on what sounds the best at the moment? And I know we mentioned the potential of them adding somebody else through the draft, but in the meantime, with these guys, how do you see their future?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think my opinion and from what I know the team's opinion is I think it's probably the same in the sense that keeping Cooper BB at center after the year that he had in twenty twenty four is probably the best route, just because he grew and learned and trained at that position throughout his entire rookie season from the word go, and then you would throw him back at guard. Granted, he had three years of experience there at Kansas State, so it's not like it would be something completely foreign to him, but making that transition at the NFL level a little bit more difficult. If it were me, I'm keeping Cooper BB at center, finding an interior guy in the draft that maybe has some flexibility as well in case there is injury that pops up in that interior, but trusting that BB is the center of the future.
Speaker 9: I like the fact that they used him for a year. I'm interested, though. I would love to talk to Connor Riley, the offensive line coach, about this, and would Connor Riley walk in there and say, yeah, you guys played him at center, but he'd be an All Pro guard. You know, he's coached this kid, he knows this kid.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 9: Why didn't Kansas State playhim at center and it played him ac guard? Because he was you know, he was an all Big twelve type of a player, you know, all American type of a player. So I would be really interested to think if Connor Riley came in here and said, you know, if you had somebody you felt really, really really good about at center, or this was a draft like of you know last year, where there were centers in it and you could draft a guy. I mean, I don't know about Nick. I'm struggling to find a center right now in this draft. I can't.
Speaker 4: I'm I mean not to the point.
Speaker 9: I'd love to be able to say, Okay, I'm gonna pick this guy and then I'm gonna plug him in and I'm gonna put Cooper b b at right guard and away we go. But I would be interested in asking Connor Riley about that if, like, man, do you feel like he could really be this good of a center or do you think he's an all pro guard something to kind of keep an eye on.
Speaker 10: Yeah, And quite frankly, I wouldn't have I wouldn't go into this offseason thinking anybody has a secured spot on this offensive line. I'm going to mass as many offensive line and as I can get, and then I'm going to figure out the best place to put them based upon what they want to do. What we know, or at least what we've heard and what we've seen is this going to be a different kind of offensive line because they're going to have a different kind of running game. So let's just get all the cards and then you'll arrange them. And I think that's more how I look at it. I don't think Bbe should be penciled in as your starting center as much as he's an offensive line and he's going to be starting, where's the best place to put him? Based on everybody else you have as well?
Speaker 7: Well, we have to end the show on time. If you guys are watching live, please don't go anywhere. In just fifteen minutes, Psig Martin is going to start with his press conference where he announces his retirement. Already, a bunch of players are showing up over some of those names.
Speaker 10: There, oh a lot of the oddish, and Frederick and Tyron Smith Van Tyron Smith, a lot of guys.
Speaker 2: Obviously she's had, really he's had.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of guys going to come and pay respect.
Speaker 7: So let's hope not to cry, at least me. But this is a just stay around and watch that live. Thank you guys so much for tuning in for Nick Harris.
Speaker 8: How Nick Harris, I'm.
Speaker 7: Not used to doing the bye for Nick Harris, Brian Bars, Derek Eagleton. This is terrible. Am I Murgracia, Chris Beam in the back. This has been the break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club