Speaker 1: Is this a great game or what with the Hall of Famer Tim Kirkshin, I'm his son, Jeff Kirkshin and Dad. Yesterday the Little League World Series kicked off, which is so exciting to watch and be a part of. And we're going to be in Williams Sport interviewing Karl Ravich and Todd Frazier for a double interview. You're gonna get multiple episodes from the Little League World.
Speaker 2: Series next week here on the podcast. But really things kicked off.
Speaker 1: For Little League on Tuesday because you were in the Big Apple, the city that Never sleeps, you big city guy, Dad.
Speaker 2: You were there for a big premiere right.
Speaker 3: Right, the premiere of the movie Big Dreams, The Little League World Series twenty twenty four. This was Dick Sporting Goods first foray into filmmaking, essentially, and it was a fifty one minute documentary about last year's Little League World Series that is directed by Rudy Valdez, who I met. What a wonderful guy and what a great film it was. Jeff. There were probably one hundred and fifty people there to watch the filming. Alex Rodriguez was there lending, you know, advice to the kids and we had a roundtable and I was the moderator and it was really really cool in New York on Tuesday night. I had a great time and can't wait for the Little League World Series to get full blown. And I Jeff, it's not going to be an interview with Carl Ravage and Top Prager. It's going to be a free for all. It's just going to be a four way conversation about the beauty of the Little League World Series. I know what you're saying. You're absolutely right. But they'll be interviewing us, we'll be interviewing them. It's all the same thing. It's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you happen to be in Williams Sport, I know we're probably talking to a very small audience. We're going to be a part of the game changer in Dick's Sporting Goods setup, and so you can come join us on Monday, August the eighteenth. We're going to be there record and signing and giving away pins. It's going to be a really great time. And then you get to hear everything we filmed and recorded at Little League World Series on the Tuesday and Wednesday episodes featuring A Gonna Go Heavy Air quotes interview with Todd Frazier.
Speaker 2: And Carl Ravich.
Speaker 1: Dad to be able to go to the Little League World Series with you now back to back years, well, excuse me, back to back to back years because if you remember, my wife Emily let me go to the Little League World Series seven days after our daughter was born, which I don't I've mentioned it on the podcast, I think earlier this week or last week by far, the greatest wife move ever because I brought her dad in order to go and we had a blast.
Speaker 3: We had a great time, right and this was the Little League World Series is all about? Is that Alex Rios, your father in law. He went there a because he loves baseball, but just as important, he went there to support Team Mexico because he is of Mexican heritage. He didn't know anybody on the team, but that wasn't the point. There are a lot of people who can't travel from Mexico to Williamsport, so Alex Rios went there to support Team Mexico. That's another beauty of Williamsport. A lot of people just show up to watch the baseball, have no connection to it whatsoever, and others just want to show up and support their country. And I think that is one of the really really cool parts of Williamsport and that was brought out so beautifully in this fifty one minute documentary, which I must say, Jeff, it made me laugh and it made me cry. It was really a powerful fifty one minutes about what the kids go through how to get there. It was really good.
Speaker 2: I mean, it really is special.
Speaker 1: So it's a new ESPN films well, and how you can watch it. It's actually going to be debut. It was just debut, Dad, you had mentioned.
Speaker 3: Tuesday night at nine to thirty Eastern. Was it's a debut on television. I'm sure it'll be. It'll run a bunch more times. They strongly suggest you watch it if you like baseball and if you love Little League World Series. It's right up your alley.
Speaker 1: And you can check out the ESPN Little League World Series hub page. ESPN Plus has the documentary, so you can check it out there. All right, Dad, let's jump into the takeaways of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 3: All right, Well we got to go with the Brewers again, Jeff. Through Tuesday they'd won twelve games in a row. They joined the thirty five Cubs as the last two National League teams to have two winning streaks of at least eleven games in one season. That's how good they are. They're different than everyone else, Jeff. They put the ball in play, They're relentless on the bases, they have more steals than any team in the National League. They go first to third, second home, and the manager of the team is just he's priceless. Pat Murphy. I've known him for years and years. I always loved being around him. But it's a different deal when you're the manager of the team and you know, he's in his mid late sixties and he's an old school guy who will get right in your face and tell you the truth. But he's also got a really soft touch. So when he was the bench coach for the Brewers, you know, kind of showing the way to Craig Counsel. As the manager of the Brewers, he was the professor. He was the teacher of Craig Counsel. And now the teacher is showing everyone how to manage a baseball team. But I remember Jev in twenty twenty one, this is what Pat Murphy does. These are the little things he does to keep the team loose. So he came up with this idea. If any Brewer pitcher draws a walk as a hitter, this is bat when back when pitchers had to bat, draws a walk without swinging the bat. During the ad bat he he gets a four foot wooden statue that goes into his locker as you know, as a memento of hey, you did something really good. You walked in a major League game, and you did it without swinging the bat. So I didn't even know what this was until a couple of years ago. I went in the Brewers clubhouse and Adrian Hauser, one of the pitchers, explained the whole thing to me because he had this. I said, what's the deal with the wooden statue? And he explained the whole thing, and he goes, it's in my locker right now, and he was basically saying, I'm really proud of this, and it will stay. It would stay in his locker until the next picture on the Brewers drew a walk without swinging the bat. Those are the little things that Pat Murphy did as the bench coach and now does as the manager of the team in order to keep that team focused, loose and thinking about something other than just sliders on the black. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think there's a balance between just enjoying yourself in the game and being super competitive, and when you have that balance, it's beautiful. The expectations of you know, going back to the World Series or going back to the NLCS when it comes to like this great example of the Mets right now, the expectations are heavy. The Brewers, I feel like, are just living in this great time with very little expectation and a whole lot of positivity and a lot of excitement surrounding that clubhouse. So I would love to see a Brewer's run. I'm just going to say it right now, Dad, We root for the story here on Is this a great game or what? Despite me saying yes, I am a Phillies fan because my wife and my daughter we watch the games all the time because we're local to the area.
Speaker 2: I also root for the story and the Brewers going to or winning the World Series would be a great story.
Speaker 3: Jeff. They've only been to one World Series nineteen eighty two, which was the first one that I ever covered, and I will never forget it, and they've never won the World Series, so this would be really cool. And then they're the Mariners, Jeff, who've never been to the World Series. So they were seven games back on July the tenth, and they have found a way to tie the Astros atop the American League West. That will be a fistfight for the rest of the season. And again with every victory, you know, the case gets better for cal Raley being the MVP. And I'm not going to argue with anybody who wants to vote for cal Raley's the MVP because the word valuable really fits exactly what he does with this team. Just one little thing about MVP's, Jeff, how much things have changed. Okay, cal Raley's hitting two forty five to forty five and we're talking about him being the MVP. Now. We don't value batting average today, Unfortunately, I still think it's an important category. Best. The teams with the five best records in baseball as of the other day had the five best team batting averages in base Is that a coincidence? Maybe not so. But the point is there are only three MVPs who have ever hit under two seventy and won the MVP that year. Roger Maris hit two sixty nine in nineteen sixty one, Marty Marion hit two sixty seven in nineteen forty four, and Show Hey o'tani hit two fifty seven and won the MVP in twenty twenty one. So that's not going to hold cal Raley back, even though I still think Aaron Judge is the MVP. The point is cal Raley's going to get a lot of votes, and I'm not going to argue with anyone who votes for that guy, given his leadership and how elite he is.
Speaker 1: Defensively, well, imagine we can have cal Raley as an al MVP and then an NL cy Young to have more losses than wins in Paul skeinst That would be unprecedented.
Speaker 3: That'd be crazy, right, it would be crazy. Paul Skeins could win the Cy Young without winning ten games and with having a losing record. That's possible given the lack of support. And last thing, Jeff, the Padres caught the Dodgers. The Padres were eight games back on July the fifth, and with this charge they've made and the Dodgers are really scuffling, they have tied the Dodgers. And this is one race to keep on, to keep your eye on for the rest of the way because they play each other, I believe six more times this season. So it's just it is a free for all every time they get together. I think it's the best rivalry in baseball now, even better than Red Sox Yankees, because they don't like each other. And clearly the Padres are not intimidated by the Dodgers, which is half the battle.
Speaker 2: All right, Dad, let's jump into the quirk Jins, what do you have?
Speaker 3: All right? So, driving home from New York Tuesday night, I was listening to the Yankees Twins game among many other games on the radio, and they were making a big point Twins broadcasters. They should have been that the Twins got their leadout batter, Austin Martin, got a hit, and then they didn't get a hit for the rest of the game. So the first batter of the game got a hit and were held hitless every bat for the rest of the game. And they were talking naturally and correctly. You know, how often does this happen? We'll get this, Jeff. It's happened two other times this season, which I found a little bit surprising. Josh Smith and the Rangers did it. Let off a game with a hit, no hits the rest of the game for the Rangers, and Victor Roblaze of the Mariners same thing. So just when you think, hey, that's kind of unusual, well it's the third time it's happened already this year, which it just speaks to how great baseball is, how quirky baseball is, all sorts of amazing things. Speaking of which, the first inning in that game, Aaron Judge hit his fourteenth home run in the first inning. Okay, the record is eighteen homers in a first inning in one season. Aaron Judge and Alex Rodriguez hold that record. Just for comparison, the Cardinals have seven homers as a team in the first inning this year, and Aaron Judge has twice as many by himself. There the Cardinals have only scored thirty seven runs in the first inning. It's just bizarre how some teams get off to a great start and others. And speaking of the first inning, Jeff Paul Skens gave up a run in the first inning the other night to the Brewers, first time after twenty four straight starts without allowing a run in the first inning. He gave up a run in the first fell short then of the record. There are records for these things. Bob Schockey in nineteen twenty three when his first twenty seven starts without allowing a run in the first inning. Jeff, didn't somebody write in about grand slam so the Royals? What was that about?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, someone was watching.
Speaker 1: A member of our family was watching the Royals game, and the broadcasters for the Royals we're talking about how the Royals have yet to hit a Grand Slam in this season, which I kind of found to be suspicious.
Speaker 2: Is that common? This is Sean Knowle who did that post dead ball era.
Speaker 1: Has there ever been a season where a team has played a full season without hitting a Grand Slam?
Speaker 2: Was his question?
Speaker 3: Yes, there have definitely been seasons like that. And this year the Royals, the Rangers, the Nationals, the Twins, and the Cardinals don't have a Grand Slam, and the Diamondbacks, who are a sub five hundred team, have nine Grand slams. So, Jeff, grand slams don't don't make any sense. I've told you this before. Willie Mays hit eight Grand slams. You would think out of his six hundred and sixty homers, he'd hit more than eight. Now, it's not a criticism. Al Kline at three hundred and ninety nine homers, he had three Grand slams. Don Mattingly, as you know, hit six Grand Slams in one season, which is the record, and they're the only six Grand slams he ever hit in his career. And he hit him in one season.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: How do you explain that, Frank Robinson, I've told you this. Jeff played six years for the Orioles. He hit two Grand Slams in those six years, and they came in the same game. Now think about that for a second. It's just beautiful. The whole Grand Slam thing makes absolutely no sense. Who hits him, who doesn't hit him? I told you Pete Rose and Derek Jeter each hit one. Madison Bumgardner, a pitcher, hit two. So he hit as many as Rose and Jeter did combine in all their bats. And last thing, Jeff Pete Alonso became the all time home run leader for the New York Mets two in one game on Tuesday night to give him two fifty four, passing Darryl Strawberry. So now there are four active players who are the home run leaders for a team, not necessarily their team, but a team in Major League Baseball. So Pete Alonso's one Mike trout as the most homers in the history of the Angels.
Speaker 1: Is Gian Carlos Stanton for the Marlins. Yes, I was thinking Jeffy hit.
Speaker 2: A lot of bombs for the Marlins back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was very good that that was going to be the tricky one. Manny Machado's hit the most for the Podra I was gonna quizz you. This guy doesn't play for that team anymore, but he's the all time home run leader for that team as an active player. And it's John Carlos Stanton for the Marlins.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 1: I got a question, right, and you didn't even have time to ask it yet.
Speaker 3: Right, Jeff. I'm proud of you. Look, I'm quoting music lyrics and you are coming up with arcane baseball statistics. You got it.
Speaker 1: What has happened to this podcast? Like Freaky Friday?
Speaker 3: No, Jeff, no matter how we switch roles, I'll never be able to sing and dance like you. And uh yeah, and that's I wish because I don't.
Speaker 1: I've heard you go start to finish on taking me out the ball out to the ball game.
Speaker 2: It's not that bad.
Speaker 3: Well, all right, I'm a better singer than I'm a dancer. But I've asked you before, Jeff, could you teach me how to dance? The answer you say yes, I say the answer is no. I think it's like asking me to be taller. I think natural rhythm is precisely that natural rhythm. You either have it or you don't, and I don't.
Speaker 2: Do you think you could? And I'm not trying to be funny.
Speaker 1: I'm genuinely comparing it to teaching somebody to field a ground now.
Speaker 3: I sure know that.
Speaker 1: Well back up, I'm not saying at the major league level and da da da, But I'm saying, there is a rhythm to sports. Do you think you could teach somebody to shoot a free throw and make it look athletic like?
Speaker 2: Yes, I think over time you.
Speaker 1: Could teach anybody anything, a lot of practice, a lot of mind ours, but it might take some people longer.
Speaker 2: And I think it would take you longer to learn how to dance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so. I have no chance of learning how to dance. I have great feet. I will tell you that, Jeff, you catch ground balls with your feet and uh, but my feet do not translate to dancing, so that we're we're not going to talk about this anymore. It's two embarrassed.
Speaker 1: That makes sense why I committed so many errors as a kid, because you told me to catch him with my feet, so I'd end up kicking the ball.
Speaker 2: It was all messed up.
Speaker 1: So next on, is this a great game? Or what we've got on this state in baseball history? From Ozzie to Oral? A brand new team Tim and the best of all Tim Plus the team had lots coming up next on the state and baseball history. Welcome back to is this a great gamer?
Speaker 2: What what do you have?
Speaker 3: Debt? Well, Jeff I got four birthdays. Nineteen seventy two, Jan Pierre was born. I haven't checked the stat lately, but the last time I checked, Jan Pierre had the most hits of anyone who never made an All Star team. He was a really good defensive outfielder. He could really get a hit. And I'll never forget Jeff I so enjoyed being around him because he was a self made player. He outworked everyone. I went to a game at the Vet in Philadelphia long before the Citizen Bank was born, and he was out on the field at twelve thirty. I got to a game at twelve thirty seven o'clock start, which tells you a little something about me. There was one player on the field and that was Juan Pierre at twelve thirty in the afternoon, and he was rolling the ball down the third base line in order to see how the ball rolled in case he bunted down the third base line, and I said, you know, I went and talked to him, like, what are you doing and he goes, well, I'm just working on seeing where a bunt might go if I bunt out. This is the level of precision that it took for him to be a really good player. He outworked everyone and that's the perfect example. So love want Pierre really good player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, we talk about Tony Gwenn obviously Hall of Famer and taking nothing away from his unbelievable athleticism and ability to get a hit. But we talked to his son and Tony Gwinn, I think, is he not a Hall of Famer if he doesn't work the way he worked. He worked harder than everybody else. He was watching tape of every pitcher. He was a studier of the game and once again taking nothing away from his athleticism and his ability, but he just worked harder than everybody and had the career he.
Speaker 2: Did because of it.
Speaker 3: He did. Tony Gwen was a great athlete, but you're right, he outworked everyone and that's why and was.
Speaker 1: A great athlete of course, all right, But he could throw a mean bounce pass right.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah. So since we had Joe West on yesterday as our guest, having an Umpire on, I just think shows a little depth to this podcast. We need to see different we need to hear different voices, and I love to talk to Joe West the other day. So on this date in nineteen fifty nine, Dale Scott Umpire was born. So I only tell you that, Jeff, because I was in the Umpire Fantasy Ejection League at ESPN. It's the only fantasy's game I've ever played. No baseball, no football, no basketball. Just don't have time for it. Baseball is a it's a conflict of interest for me to be, you know, having a fantasy team and then rooting against somebody when I'm covering the team and I have to be the game. I have to be objective. But so I drafted my team, and jud Burt from ESPN was the one that put all this together. He was our officionado on umpiring. So the point is Dale Scott was on Steve Berthune, who's my former, you know, colleague at baseball tonight, and Bert drafted uh Dale Scott. So we're doing the baseball tonight at like one fifteen Eastern time in the morning, all right, and nobody is watching, so Bert like Steveerthue like blurts out on the air. Hey, Dale Scott, whenever you want to throw somebody out, I'm ready for you. And then later in that game, Dale Scott threw somebody out of the game. I'm man, he ejected someone. You win the higher ejection fantasy league by your draft four umpires, and whoever has the most ejections at the end of the season wins the league. Dumbest thing ever, But I loved it. And can you remember the name of my team because I won an award?
Speaker 2: Fill thine Horn with Oil and Vargo.
Speaker 3: Oh, Jeff, I can't believe you remember that. Ed Vargo was a really good umpire and jud Birch, who started the league, his favorite saying for when somebody hit a home run, especially at Philly, especially Jim Tomy. He would say fill nine horn with oil and go, which is from the Bible. Not like I know that, but so I just changed the name of my team to fill thine oil, Fill thine horn with oil and vargo. So I never won the Fantasy Ejection League, but I did win best Team Name for fill thine horn with oil and vargo.
Speaker 2: Excellent job all right.
Speaker 3: Also born on this date in nineteen fifty nine, Magic Johnson, who of course is one of the great basketball players of all time, one of the ten greatest players ever, greatest point guard in history for me, and he's also part owner of the Dodgers. So I got to know him a little bit when he used to work at ESPN. So I saw him a few times at games, and I asked him once. I said, Magic, what has impressed you most in the whatever three months that you've owned the Dodgers. And he was quite serious. He said, I can't believe how many games they play in the Major League. He said this was in LA on a Monday night, and he said, our team played on Sunday night on the East coast, and then they flew across the country and they're going to play tonight on the West Coast, and they're going to play well. He goes, when we played a back to back in the NBA, it was a killer. They granted, Jeff, there's a different level of exertion for an NBA game back to back then a major league game. But his point was, I can't believe they're gonna play well tonight after traveling all that distance and having played a game last night, and they're gonna play again tonight. And I thought that was really honest of him to recognize just what a grueling job it is to be a major league baseball player with all the travel. Also, Jeff, I'll never forget this. Matt Kemp was on the Dodgers at that time. Matt Kemp was a great He was a really good baseball player and a great high school basketball player. So while he was with the Dodgers and Magic owned the team, I think he was serious, but he said he could beat Magic in a game of one on one because he's much younger than Magic Johnson. So I on the on TV, I asked Magic, and it was a loaded question, of course, and I said it with a little chuckle. I said, so Matt Kemp thinks he could beat you in one on one, and the look on Magic's face was absolutely priceless. Jeff, I'll never forget. He looked at me and he goes, Look, these guys are playing the hardest game in the world to play baseball. He goes, I have zero chance to ever do anything well on the baseball field. I have zero chance to ever get a hit in a major league game. This was Magic being honest. And then he looked at me and he goes, But if Matt Kemp really thinks he could beat me at one on one, you have got to be kidding me. And I totally agree with Magic. As great as Matt Kemp was and as young as he still was, there is no way he's going to beat Magic Johnson in a game of one on one. Leverage, size, experience, understanding of the game. That's what Magic had, and he would torch. He would torch.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't be close, would not be close.
Speaker 3: My last thing, Jeff. On this date in nineteen thirty, Earl Weaver was, and Earl Weaver is to me one of the five greatest managers of all time. I covered him late seventies early eighties in Baltimore. But then I covered him every day in nineteen eighty six as the beat writer covering the Orioles for the Baltimore Sun. Earl taught me more about baseball than anyone I've ever met. I could tell you hours and hours of stories about Earl Weaver, and I just loved it. I'll never forget when I knew it. It was done for Earl. Eighty six, the Oriols were pretty bad, but miraculously he helped keep them in the race until the beginning of August, and then they fell apart and went fourteen and forty two the rest of the season. And he retired again after that season because he knew we were not with it anymore. With these guys, we really stink. So I was with him in Oakland covering the team on a Sunday morning, filled out his lineup cars, just me and him in his office on a Sunday morning in Oakland. He looks at me and he goes, Tim, this is the worst lineup I've ever filled out for a major League game. And about a month later he resigned. I should have known that day this is it for Earl. But I learned so much about him. Absolute brilliant man when it came to baseball, and they called him the Earl of Baltimore, which got me to thinking, Jeff, we need to come up with the what the Earl of Baltimore.
Speaker 2: I need to come up with what the All Royalty Team?
Speaker 3: All Royalty Team. Jeff, you're doing so well today. All right, here's the All Royalty Team. I came up. I think I've done this at some point before. But Prince Fielder is our first baseman. Jeff King is our second baseman. Ray Knight is the third baseman. Now I fudged this one. Royal roy L E. Stillman is our shortstop, even though he never played shortstop in a big league game. Earl always told me he could if he wanted to. Duke Snyder. Earl Averill Hall of Famer, like Duke Snyder in the outfield, Ryan Court, you know the whole, you know whatever. Mel Queen is one of the pictures. And current Nationals pitcher Brad Lord. So those are that is the All Royalty team and our catcher. Sorry I forgot Steve Barron. Any of those makes sense to you.
Speaker 1: Well, Dad, I'm gonna surprise you with this John Woodward, who's a member of our family actually emailed us a yeah, an all Royalty team back on Monday, August eleventh, so earlier this week.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, I read it.
Speaker 1: His picture, John the Count Montefronosco.
Speaker 3: I got it, all right, it's a nickname. I got it.
Speaker 1: Earl Baty, Earl Battie Canny for the twins. Yes, the guys, Princefielder, Ray Knight, Jack Wilson at shortstop.
Speaker 3: Wait wait wait, Jack Wilson, what does that mean?
Speaker 2: I don't know Royalty Jack?
Speaker 3: Like? Is that all right? All right?
Speaker 1: Keep going, Dave Kingman at third? Right, this is a change, lordis Guriel?
Speaker 2: All right? That's a good one.
Speaker 1: Right, Also had mel Queen Duke Snyder Babe Ruth the Sultan of Swat. Still a nickname, but I mean on Monday he sent this, Dad the Greatest.
Speaker 2: That pretty good.
Speaker 3: Two ridiculous minds thinking alike, Oh my gosh, well what's his name again?
Speaker 1: It's that's John Woodward who sent that over Dad? How crazy is that that he sent that on Monday? And now here you are, and I swear to you, we did not communicate about this team.
Speaker 2: Tim. We get a lot of great ones, but I was kind.
Speaker 1: Of nervously typing over here because I remembered that he sent that, so I.
Speaker 2: Wanted to make sure I had it right.
Speaker 3: How about that two great reporters, Woodward and Bernstein here, how about that? That's great.
Speaker 2: You know what's funny about that?
Speaker 3: Dad.
Speaker 1: We were at a wedding in Georgetown, as we mentioned, and I showed Emily. I said, oh, there's the uh, there's the Watergate hotel el. And Emily is not privy to history, and she goes Watergate. God, that sounds familiar. Watergate, Watergate? What is Watergate? I said, well, that's a whole other thing. I was just kind of telling you that's where it happened. And that's the namesake, obviously of President Nixon's ultimate resignation from the presidency.
Speaker 2: And by the time I finished.
Speaker 1: Explaining just that short one, I think she fell asleep because she is not a history boss.
Speaker 3: Right. Well, Dan Shaughnessy's wife, Mary Lou is absolutely wicked smart, but she doesn't know anything about baseball. So we saw a picture in the background of Whitey Ford and Dan identified it as Whitey Ford, and she said, oh, is he out of jail? So living in the Boston area, apparently she got Whitey Ford mixed up with Whitey Bulgers. It was like a gangster, like a criminal. So yeah, so these little things come up and all we can do is lap. Dad called me just to tell me that Whitey Ford Whitey Bulger story. It was great.
Speaker 2: From Ozzie to Oral.
Speaker 1: We're counting down the best players at each number, from one to fifty five.
Speaker 2: Dad. At this point, I've lost track what number are we on.
Speaker 3: I were at number thirty six. We're going with Gaylord Perry, just ahead, just ahead of Robin Roberts. Robin Roberts one of the great pitchers of all time. So, Jeff, I think I've told you this, But the day I interviewed at ESPN in nineteen ninety seven, in yeah, late in nineteen ninety seven, I get picked up by a car. Car comes to get me at the airport and when the driver drives me in and he goes, uh, you know, I just dropped off one of my favorite people in the world, Robin Roberts. So I say, god, he was great. Well, you know, two hundred and sixty games, one of the whiz kids, incredibly durable. And after I go through this whole thing about who Robin Roberts was. He looks at me and goes, who the hell are you talking about. I said, I'm talking about Robin Roberts, the great baseball pitcher, and he goes, no, no, no, I'm talking about the Robin Roberts, who, of course was an ESPN anchor. We were going to and from ESPN. I should have figured that out. Love Robin Roberts, the anchor. She's doing great, still beaten, all sorts of illnesses. I love her. But yes, that's when you have a one track baseball mind. When someone says Robin Roberts to you, you think of right handed pitcher with the phillies, not anything else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm worried about any sort of music star too. Someone would be like, you're not gonna believe I just met Carlos Santana, and you'd be like, Wow, he had a great year in twenty nineteen. He's a silver slugger for the then Indians.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, God, switch hit her with power. Yes, great, all right, so we're going We're going with Gaylord Perry. Gaylord Perry won three hundred and fourteen games. He won the most game in the major leagues in the nineteen sixties and seventies combined. You'll win some money if you if you ask people that question with the answers. Gaylord Perry also had the eighth most strikeouts of all time. He did all of this with a three point one point one era, and he had fifty three shutouts, which is the seventeenth most of all time. Now we all know he threw a spinner, but Jim Sunberg was one of his catchers with the Rangers, and years later Jim Sunberg told me, look, Gaylor just loaded up only like once in a while, like if he needed a big out or a big pitch in the seventh inning, he would like throw one spitball per game. That's it. People think he loaded up on every single pitch, but that's what he was doing to just try to get into the head of the hitter, Like, you know, I'm throwing a spitball every pitch and you got the hitter all psyched out about things. So I believe Gaylord Perry was an underrated pitcher, not an overrated pitcher. But the great story about him, Jeff was in nineteen sixty four, He's pitching for the Giants and Alvin dark is the manager and one of the writers went to Alvin Dark and said, you know, I've been watching Gaylord Perry hit. He's he's a good hitting pitcher, and he's gonna hit a home run in the big league someday. So Alfred Dark, the manager of the Giant, says, listen, we are going to land a man on the moon before Gaylord Perry hits a major league home run. So five years later, on July twentieth, nineteen sixty nine, at one seventeen PM, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin walked on the moon and Jeff, I'm not making this up. Thirty thirty minutes later, two one hundred and thirty eight thousand, nine hundred miles away from the ballpark, Gaylord Perry hit a home run off of Claude Ostee. So Alvin Dark said, We're gonna land a man on the moon before Perry hits a homer and thirty and the difference was thirty minutes later, and Alva Dark, who was then managing the Indians, said, well, technically, I was right. We landed a man on the moon first by thirty minutes.
Speaker 1: How about that one small swing for a batter, one giant swing for Gaylord Perry.
Speaker 2: All right, it is funny.
Speaker 3: Also, that's it's a great story and it's knowing us, Jeff. Number, We're going to do two numbers today. Number thirty seven is Keith Hernandez. Now, technically we should probably go with Dave Steve because Dave Steve wore that number for his entire career. But we've already used Dave Steve as our number one Toronto Blue Jay in the history of the franchise, and correctly so. But we also had Keith R. Nandez on in spring training and I told him, hey, yeah, thanks for joining us. We have you as the greatest number thirty seven of all time. So I can't go back on a promise to Keith R. Nandez. He wore number thirty seven with the Cardinals. He spent eight years there. He won co MVP with Willie Stargel for the MVP in nineteen seventy nine. He was a great Saint Louis Cardinal. He is the greatest defensive first baseman of all time. And Jeff, let's see if you can remember why he wore number thirty seven seven for the Cardinals. Do you remember.
Speaker 2: Everything he always had to have a seven in his number.
Speaker 3: And why was that? Jeff Nicky Mantle was born shared the same birthday as Keith Hernandez, so he had to wear a seven. So the only seven that was available when he signed with the Cardinals was number thirty seven. Then he got traded to the Mets. He wanted to wear thirty seven again. I'll give you a million dollars if you can get this. He couldn't wear number thirty seven for the Mets because that number was already retired either a former manager of the.
Speaker 1: Mets, former manager, hold on, hold on, former manager of the Mets that would have their number retired, right, you only know like three former managers of the Mets. It's not Bobby Valentine, is it Casey Stengel?
Speaker 3: Yes, Jeff, Jeff, you're having a great podcast. I've quizzed you like four times at your four for four really really good. So that's great. So that's what we're doing with Keith Hernandez. We're making him our greatest number thirty seven, even though only half his career basically did he wear that number.
Speaker 1: Best of all, Tim, Dad, you mentioned you know one of our best of all, Tim's Dave Steve. But now, what team are we doing this week? You're going to take a team best player in that franchise.
Speaker 3: All right, We're doing the Tigers, and we're going This is pretty easy for me. Al Kline is the second greatest Tiger ever. Ty Cobb is the greatest Tiger ever. He's the lifetime three sixty six hitter. He's one of the greatest hitters in baseball history. Nineteen o nine, he won the Triple Crown. He batted three seventy seven with nine homers and one hundred and seven RBIs stole eight hundred and ninety seven bases in his career, and Jeff in nineteen twenty five he got a little bit tired of people saying that he was just a singles hitter because he hit a ton of doubles, a ton of triples. He just didn't hit the ball out of the ballpark. Because, again, Jeff, when he started his career, hitting the ball out of the ballpark was not what you were supposed to do. It was only until Babe Ruth came along in nineteen twenty with the Yankees that he popularized and glamorized the home run, and Babe Ruth became wildly popular, and the game took off because of Babe Ruth. But ty Cobb got a little bit tired of that after a while. So on May the fifth, nineteen twenty five, when one of the writers like challenged him, he went out and went six for six and hit three home runs in one game, all of them over the fence. Jeff had sixteen total bases in that game, would set the major League record for total bases in one game. And he did it just despite everyone. Look, if you want me to hit home runs, I can do that. It's not good for the game. It's not the way that I was taught how to play the game. This is not the way I play the game. But I'll just show you I could do it if I want to. And Jeff, I'm in the massive minority here, and I think, at age sixty eight, somebody has to protect the history of the game. I really believe that ty Cobb could play, not only play in today's game. I think he would be a really good player in today's game. He would have he would need six months to figure out how to hit this velocity. But Jeff, he could fly. He was big, he was strong, you know, he wasn't we Willie Keeler. You know, he weighed one hundred and eighty pounds sometimes more in his career. I think he would be the everyday center fielder for the Detroit Tigers right now. And boy do people think I'm crazy about that?
Speaker 2: Well, they would be made better for it, and they're a pretty darn good team this season.
Speaker 1: So yes, absolutely, let me tell you about today's seamhead.
Speaker 2: For I am a seamhead.
Speaker 1: You can always send me a voice memo Jeff at Great Game or what dot com. Jason Schwartz is the co chair of the Saber Baseball Cards Research Committee, which is the most fun committee at Saber, according to our friend Mark Simon. Okay, so he runs a baseball card pack rip at this Saber convention every single year, dozens and dozens of packs, and he dad loves baseball cards.
Speaker 2: Like we all do.
Speaker 1: But wait until you hear just how many cards he had at one point in his life.
Speaker 2: Let's take a listen.
Speaker 4: I'm Jason Schwartz. I'm from Western Springs, Illinois. I'm a steamhead because, first off, baseball's the greatest game in the world. The history is so rich, But in my case, really it was all about fall in love with baseball cards when I was eight years old. Baseball cards for me were just a window into another world, but also just the way I made friends at school. Right the cool kids were trading cards, they were collecting Steve Garvey. As soon as I got my first Garvy, I instantly had friends and just been in love with cards in the game of baseball ever since. At my peak, I probably had about three hundred thousand baseball cards. I've thinned things out a little bit over the years, so now I've probably got about thirty thousand, and still trying to thin things out a little bit. It's hard because I love him so much.
Speaker 2: That's our seam head this week.
Speaker 3: Jason Schwartz, do you have three hundred thousand cards? Seriously? Where did he? Where did he put them? I mean, does he have a room just for baseball cards? He has to write three hundred thousand?
Speaker 2: Dad, Do you still have every book that you filled?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, I read them away a bunch of my box score books. They were taking up too much room in the house. Need of men season I kept. I have a couple of seasons, yes, just to make sure in case anybody asks, I could show them and say this is what my box score book look like.
Speaker 2: But did you pick anyone in particular?
Speaker 3: It didn't matter. It didn't matter which season I really won, the eighty five season right now, right, I'm not going to carry around a giant book on the road when I can look everything up on the internet. Now, we didn't have the internet back then, so I would carry one or two books per per season. So, Jeff, as far as baseball cards go, I can honestly say I've only stolen one thing in my life. And this is a true story. I was about eight years old. I was collecting baseball cards, not putting them in a box. But I had every baseball card. And I'm not making this up except for you know this journeyman reliever Hal would a check, okay. And I'm walking through the Kresky's five and dime and this is in nineteen sixty four, and I don't have any money because I never had any money. A how many eight year olds have money? But right, we didn't have any money in our family growing up, believe me. So I'm walking through the store and I'm not making the subject. There is a baseball package of cards opened up and like peeking out of the top is hal Wood a check's card, and I went, oh my god, this is the one card that I need. So eight year old Tim Kirkchin lifted it out of the package of cars and walked out of the store. How about that shoplifter, Tim Kirkchin, and I got away with it?
Speaker 2: Officers, there he is there right now?
Speaker 3: Right? What did you see? Baseball card? Hal would a check?
Speaker 1: I think sixty years later the Statute of Limitations has expired on a petty theft for an eight year old.
Speaker 2: So you don't need to stress about this going on the internet.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, which, now we learned you know a lot about out the internet.
Speaker 3: Way to go, right? I need to learn a whole lot more, Jeff. Okay, Well that's great, Jeff.
Speaker 1: We'll take it one day at a time. I'll teach you how to use email. You're gonna love it.
Speaker 2: It's so convenient. All right.
Speaker 1: Well, Dad, we're excited because, as we mentioned at the top of the show, next week you will hear us live from Williams Sport. That's right, we're going to be doing an episode. Our Tuesday episode from Williams Sport at the Little League World Series Wednesday will feature our guests, Todd Fraser and Carl Ravach. It's gonna be a great week that I can't wait to spend another time with you. And thanks to our friends at Game Changer and Dick Sporting Goods for hosting us.
Speaker 2: I'm so ready for it. Dad's I'll see you in person.
Speaker 3: Next week, right, And let's be clear, Karl Ravich is the voice of Little League Baseball and Todd Fraser is the second voice because he's the greatest analyst we've ever had on Little League baseball. Because of course, he played there. He won a championship there. Nobody loves little League Baseball more than Todd Frazier and as we've said many times, he's the biggest twelve year old ever. He's still twelve years old when he goes to Williamsport and that's what makes that place so special and so magical.
Speaker 1: Dad is a big surprise for both of them as well, which will be revealed during that interview. Thank you so much for listening, and as always, thanks for being a part of our family.