Speaker 1: Now here's a highlight from Coast to Coast AM on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Coast to Coast AM. My guest Sterling moon Is. She has a new book out called Talking to Spirits, a Modern Medium's Practical Advice for Spirit Communication, And I wanted to ask you, Sterling about we were talking a little bit about animal communication beforehand. What are some of the the benefits of communicating with spirits and some of the downsides of it, Like how do you do it safely?
Speaker 3: So some of the benefits I think are just it makes the world a lot more interesting. It also, you know, I feel like the longer you've probably heard this before that like I feel like the longer that you dive into this type of stuff often the less concrete answers you realize. You realize that we don't have any cock answers, you know, especially when we come to spirit of the dead. You know, we're not going to know what happens until we cross that threshold ourselves. And I even kind of wonder if we will ever fully get the you know, I have a feeling there's even more mysteries that will.
Speaker 4: No one's ever really come back to tell.
Speaker 3: Right it's true. And yeah, and so I feel like in some ways it almost can. It can bring comfort, It can bring it can help people to you know, establish faith. It can just make things fun and more interesting. It can help you to not be scared, you know, especially for folks who maybe they've you know, experienced like living or working or having to be in places that have a lot of spirit activities. Sometimes learning how to proactively you know, state your boundaries. And also just it gets pretty empowering to get over that that fear. Some of the drawbacks can be not having good you know, if you don't have good boundaries, if you you know, because it's it's kind of like even with living folks, right, Like we will invite people maybe into our home, but most folks we want them to eventually go back to their own home. Or we don't want them with us around, you know, we don't want people necessarily maybe joining us in the bathroom. Or I'm always amazed by how many folks will be like spirits will come and visit me in the shower. Shower dough seems to be like a common thing. You want boundaries when you're in the shop, right, right, and so, and also I think sometimes folks don't are just a little fool There are some folks who are a little foolhardy, I think with who they tried. Like if you are somebody who's like, I want to go out and contact this person that maybe did terrible things. Like every time I hear about somebody who's like, I want to go and like, you know, try to communicate with somebody that was like a you know, serial killer or something like that, I'm just like, do you not see how that could end poorly?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Now, what are some of these super interesting communications that you've had, maybe that you remember with one of your clients, or experiences that you personally had.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, There's been so many over so many years. Here's a couple of my favorites. One was when I had I had one of my students. She had been living in a rental house that was in her It was in the you're familiar with Colorado, so Golden Colorado, this adorable little mountain community community or you know, it's like at the base of the foothills. It's only like twenty minutes outside of Denver. But she had been living in this little house that she thought was built in around nineteen twenty, and she just and she's definitely, you know, really sensitive. She studied mediumship with me and just kept She's like, I just don't feel like I'm alone here, and I don't feel like this house is meant to be mine, and would you be willing to come and just check it out? And so I did, and we we've been I brought out combination of like you know, mediumship stuff, but also like bringing out some like you know, spirit boxes and things like that. I'm a big fan of, like dowsing rods. I always find that those are really helpful for kind of pointing me in the direction of like where a spirit is kind of hanging out. And there were a couple of folks that we were able to make contact with. One was this really nice guy that seemed to be more connected with a building that was this had been there were like several buildings that were all rentals, but they had once upon a time been all together on kind of like a like a bigger plot of land. He seemed to be more connected with one of the other old buildings, but he was more like a handyman, and so he would kind of come in and he was really focused on the kitchen, which had been recently renovated, and there were some things that just weren't working quite right, and so lights would kind of come. She'd feel this presence, and sometimes the lights would kind of like strengthen and then dim. But in her front room, which was the oldest part of the house, she just felt like like there was a presence that wasn't super welcoming. And so I tapped into the spirit of this older woman and it was very I got this strong feeling that she had lived there and you know, spent a good chunk of her life there, and she liked to sit in a chair that was by this certain window. And I kept getting the word the name May, and I was like, I feel like this woman's name is May. I think that she just really wants to be able to sit in this spot by the window. She would prefer it if maybe there was like a chair here that was kind of like her chair. You know, maybe you could give that a world just you know, it's gonna be a little weird having a chair that only that nobody really sits in, but maybe see if that helps things to feel better. And I also asked my friend if she sometimes felt like if there was like a ghost cat, because I kept seeing this little like darting small shadow that was like it was small. And she said, yep, sometimes my cat will be sleeping right next to me, but I'll hear the sound of like little kitty nails in the night. So those were all really interesting. But then later on, it was probably a few months later, she sent me a message saying that she had told her landlord about all of this, and it turned out that the house was much older than she originally sought, and he had found some old original windows in one of these outbuildings, and there was a name and a date that was etched into one of them, and it was from the late eighteen hundreds. And this woman's name was Martha, but she went by May. And so that was like that's always gold. When you see this stuff and you can get verifiable information, that always feels really good.
Speaker 4: She never left.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, we get, yeah, I mean we get you can get really attached to a home, and I sometimes you know, you could your home could really I mean what homes protect you. They have roofs over your heads, they hold energy, and sometimes the house itself takes on a role in or an energy itself, so I can understand how the house would be. I mean if I don't know if you've seen this before, but not only the people in the house, but the house itself takes on an energy.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, absolutely.
Speaker 2: This has been a family joke in our family for a very long time that the house that my mom lives in is just never wants her to leave. It will not and every time she tries to get out of there, it's like takes her twenty minutes longer.
Speaker 4: It's it's interesting that house.
Speaker 3: Do you think it feels like something that because I always wonder too with the houses that are just like and there's so many layers you can peel back. Where is it something that we create, you know, that idea of like how we can create aggrigors, thought forms, whatever you want to call it. There's spirits of the dead that have like you know, maybe you're attached to the land or the house itself. But then I also there's like the earth spirits or like the elemental type spirits, and that's like and that's like rooted, that's rooted well beyond the existence of the structure. And sometimes I wonder, do you have any theories on why what it is that makes your mom's house so powerful.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's very interesting.
Speaker 2: It's almost like an entity that doesn't want her to leave, and we talked about it all the time. It makes it really hard for her to get out the door, and we used to when my brother and I live their same experience, and then even when we go back to visit, there's like always something that prevents us from walking.
Speaker 4: Out the door.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if it's the house, So how would you remove something like that?
Speaker 3: Well, see, and this is where kind of the way that I was taught differs a tiny bit in some of the other like series that are out there. So I studied with a this Swedish fellow named Johannes or Johannes Bjorn guard bach Uh studying folk magic and the ways that you know, he taught me to kind of approach haunted situation. Spirit encounters was kind of with diplomacy first, and so with a situation like this, probably one of the first things I'd want to do is just you know, have a conversation with like, you know, hey, it seems like there's someone here who's making it really difficult for us to be able to leave the house. We don't like that and we need that to change. But is there something that you need? Is there a reason? And yeah, he I kind of had always had come at these situations with more of a like you need to leave. And it's one of those balances too, where we have the we are the living beings, this physical plane belongs to us. We have a right to feel safe in our homes. We have a right to leave our houses whenever we want. And at the same time, sometimes like if you I've approaching things with diplomacy sometimes like smooth things out a lot easier than kind of like coming at it of like I will clear you out of this house, because then it sometimes can I've seen a lot of situations where it can escalate things unnecessarily. But you know, so clearing out a house, though, let's like let's say the diplomacy doesn't work.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you know, oh gosh, I'm more like spiritual hygiene for the home is one of the things that I think is really important.
Speaker 3: And so you know, a clean home, both physically clean and also spiritually clean, can often push out things that you don't want there. And so there's like a combination of things that I like to use, whether it's you know, floor washes that are really specific to whatever is happening in the home. In senses, there's definitely in sense blends that I've I've been taught that are particularly good at like pushing out and clearing out tricksters and negative type spirits or spirits with a negative influence, but also kind of feeding and bolstering any positive spirit that you know, you maybe want hanging around you kind of stay in their lane and they're you know, they help to keep an eye on things. There's also like once your house is clean, you know, you can put up protections and wards to make sure that nothing else can come back in. There's different you know, kind of every every haunting has its own unique like they're there. I mean, every spirit is unique, right, and so sometimes which you need to push something out or to smooth things over and and you know, make things better, it all, it all depends. But if you are wanting to keep something out, there's something you see in a lot of traditions or like witsch bottles us their bottles filled with like you know, sharp pokey objects and either ammonia or urine. If you want to go old school, and those can be you know, placed at different specific points in the home entry points to the home, lines of salt or scorched flax seeds to uh with with the dedication that you know, no spirit can enter, like with the with flax seeds unless they can cause those seats to sprout, which obviously they can't. You see in a lot of traditions like putting a ring of salt around us around a home or at the entrances of like doorways or windows, and with the directive that no spirit shall patch or pass or like in Europe I think it was no witch shall be able to pass unless they have counted all of the grains of salt. That's so that's the old classic there too. But yeah, there's a lot of different like cleaning and pushing things out and then protecting and putting words over your house is one of the that's kind of a standard. That's a classic, and a lot of traditions that's great.
Speaker 2: And I mean, is there just one thing that you would say or there's many different things from the folklore that you've learned.
Speaker 3: Well, so I would I always start with you got to you gotta literally clean your house and so some of the things I really like. Again, so it's starting with sweeping. You know, there's a lot of traditions that like use sleeping as a magical practice, and you're going to want to start in the back of your house. Start from the back and move to the front, top floor to bottom floor, if that's applicable. If you live in a fully carpeted place, you can get a room or a broom that is I don't know if it's pronounced beesome or bessom, but it's like a basically a witch broom.
Speaker 4: I was going to say, is that the room is associated with the witch.
Speaker 3: And yeah, yeah, or you know, and it's basically just like a handmade room that's like used more for like energetic or magical purposes. And so you can sweep the air like close to the floor, and it's the point that you are sweeping out all stagnant energy. It's always great if you can sweep right out the front door. Open your windows when you clean, even if it's the dead of winter, open the window that you are of the room that you're clearing. You know you're you're working in, because if you want something to leave your house, it has to have an exit point in the way that I always think about it.
Speaker 2: So when you're doing clearing, any type of clearing ritual, you want to open the windows.
Speaker 5: Yeah, windows, Oh, but get it out of the house, floor washes.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm a I'm I really like laundry bluing. So sometimes you'll see these little you'll find them. It's they're little. It's like blue anial. You'll find them in botanicas, and they're really great for just like raising the energy of a home, banishing out negative spirits. It's kind of just like a wonderful catch all. Florida Water is another. You know, that's another It's a cologne technically, but it's got like, you know, one hundred and thirty years of people using it for magical purposes, and it's like a blessing, protection and cleansing, so it kind of covers all your bases.
Speaker 4: I've recently heard of Florida water. Where does that origin come from?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Geez, so I can't. I know that. I researched it for the you know, you just it's one of those things you just kind of learn about. And then I researched the origins of it from my for my book, but I'm going to tell you what I can remember off the top of my head. So Murray and Lanam is kind of like the standard cologne. I mean literally it's just Colonne and uh, but there's just it's been like there there's like a whole host of like colognes and waters that have been used for different like magical purposes, like another one that still here. Folks use particularly in like more like you know American you know, root work kind of communities is like hoit's cologne that's like something you use for gambling, luck or like to feel power powerful and get like a really like solid like boost. Florida water though has like it's got citrus, it has rows in orange orange blossom, it's got a really pretty pretty smell. And there's folks you can make your own. There's really wonderful makers out Like there's all kinds of like you know, handmade Florida waters that you use. But for whatever reason, over time it just has and spent and a lot of it is like due to like the botanicals, which I don't think Marine Lanham probably has any botanicals. I think it's probably artificial fragrance at this point. But it's been used for so long for these purposes that it has, it's like it's almost like there'sn't been an aggregre created around that.
Speaker 1: Listen to more Coast to Coast AM every weeknight at one am Eastern, and go to Coast to coastam dot com for more