Speaker 1: All right, well, welcome man All Star twenty five. What is it Saturday? So it was day three second, the last day. I know the NBA got you guys running around crazy. But Mitch said the money is good though, so he ain't really tripper.
Speaker 2: I won't play that too loud. I'm doing everything by charity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I mean, as Jack mentioned, I mean, this group right here was instrumental as we were growing up to be fans, and then instrumental in Jack and I's career on the management side, but just really been fans of all three since I can remember. You know, I grew up an hour north of here, and watching these guys when the Kings wasn't ship kind of kept me going.
Speaker 3: And then Mitch got traded out there. So anyway, but.
Speaker 1: Let's get it going man, run TMC a legendary team in the Bay. Now obviously you've been removed from the game, but just kind of give yourself flyers. Like damn, I was a bad motherfucker, y'all ever think about that.
Speaker 3: Tim du.
Speaker 4: Intended wait till he was done, no talk smack every day.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we was some bad motherfuckers, all three of us. Yeah, we we love going out there busting people ass. They just followed me when when I started, they was like, okay, we are Yeah, he's ready, let's go.
Speaker 4: It was right behind me, and.
Speaker 3: It was the mouthpiece.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was the mouthpiece.
Speaker 3: Ain't nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 4: No, you got to.
Speaker 6: Have that sometimes because some on other teams, some people be talking ship. You know, yeah, you know, yeah, he's just not gonna be talking to.
Speaker 3: Score to talk ship.
Speaker 4: Right in that school, I'm like, yeah, I was doing the same thing.
Speaker 6: What he's busting your He's busting your ass, busting your ass and keep busting it.
Speaker 3: There you go, man, We're gonna talk through errors of Warriors today.
Speaker 1: Obviously run TMC. We believe in the current They warriors.
Speaker 7: Go back to the start from beginning. You were first, the first one to land to the bay by way of Brooklyn. Set the stage for us. How the bay was in nineteen eighty five when you got here before those guys got there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so eighty five I came out here. First draft lottery was in eighty five. Warriors that think the previous sea they were twenty and sixty two. So they and the Clippers had supposed to get the first pick. The Knicks got it with Patrick Ewing. They said the frozen envelope. They didn't have balls at the time, so the Knicks were definitely getting Patrick. So I wound up coming out to the Bay rebuilding situation. That's what all those lottery picks. We were in rebuilding situations. Eighty year play at least probably you know, the previous dynasty was Rick Barry. So then they had tremendous history here with the Warriors. They came from Philly. See tell about Wilt Chamberlain, Paul Ayris and Thomas rich history. But like most teams, they did some downslope. So that's when I came. I came into a rebuilding situation. A few years went by. In eighty eight, we drafted Mitch so I was here for two years. We made the playoffs in my second season, solid team. Sleepy Floyd was a hell of a player, Joe Barry cow was an All star, Larry Smith. You know, we we were kind of making our way. George call was the coach at that point in time. Then the following year and Nelly came in for Milwaukee as the GM made a coaching switch. New he went from GM to coach. I mean a little side note, let's let's be honest. I was struggling, playing doing okay for number seven pick struggling. Now I think I was averaging fifteen a game. You know, I get about fifteen million for right now. But you know, at that point in time, I been rehab. I went to rehab.
Speaker 3: Man Rookie of the year, he said he went to rehab. I went to rehab. But so I made some changes in my life.
Speaker 8: When I came back to the team, Nelly had traded like half the team, so he was going to revamp to the whole organization. So I was eighty seven, eighty eight. That's the next draft. We drafted Mitch. So that was a start. You know, Mitch showed up from day one ready to play. He was a pro on day one. You know, he played JC played two years a k State Rookie of the year, twenty points per game as a as a rookie. All of a sudden, the organization has some juice was coming back. The following year, we drafted Tim.
Speaker 3: Then we had something.
Speaker 8: Then we had something special and Tim Tim you know, we just were joking, but he was our mouthpiece. He was Stephen Jackson or Draymond Green with twenty ten and you know, with crazy numbers.
Speaker 3: So he changed the whole dynamic. All of a sudden.
Speaker 8: We had a guy you think about back then, Magic Gary Payton, Kevin Johnson stopped in and Tim was, as he would say, busting their ass, you know, Tim. Tim was so good and you guys played for Nelly. Tim was so good. Nelly had to like slow him down a little bit because he could beat his man every single.
Speaker 3: Time, all the time. But the problem was we weren't up there yet.
Speaker 8: He beat his man, He's going one on five, he had no one to pass. So Nelly said, look, give the ball up once. When you get it back, then attack. Let's let everyone catch up to you. That's how good Tim was. And then he made all jobs so much easier. And like your team, we had tremendous role players, you.
Speaker 3: Know, doing it.
Speaker 7: During this time, the state of the league was crazy, like it was really the cocaine era, you know, and when y'all was coming together, like the rumor is the highatt downtown what a practice pilly. That's where everybody used to score a lot of players used to score. It was that the spot. And we're not talking about basketball, no, we're not talking about basketball, A little change of direction. I mean, you know, you know, but you know we're talking about around the tower, y'all coming together.
Speaker 3: League was yeah, yeah, yeah, no question that the airport right there, right to the airport.
Speaker 8: So eighty I came in eighty five David Stern. Just for the little history lesson here. David Stern came in and it was not against players. He wanted to sell the league was known as a drug riddle, too black to yeah, Brian, whatever it was, but it was a reflection with what was going on in society where we grew up.
Speaker 3: So I grew up in New York City in the eighties.
Speaker 8: Wall Street was loaded with Yeah that's everyone was making money. Was supposedly a choice of the high society, so that filtered through everything, wasn't There was nothing but a reflection of society. But David Stern wanted to sell the league to Madison Avenue. So that's where the dress code came from. That's where so you meant we used to fly commercial, we'd have to put on on blazes and to present ourselves.
Speaker 3: That was that was. That was a big vision, a big plan to sell the league.
Speaker 8: But Jack, to your point, yes, yeah, so yeah, the Hyatt. But let me tell you something. We talked about this yesterday. You learn from people's mistakes, right. So right in front of me growing up in Brooklyn, Michael Ray Richardson, he was basically Magic Johnson. There was other player I can't of guys that had drug problems.
Speaker 3: Michael was suspended.
Speaker 8: So all of a sudden, you see those ramifications to wake up call. But you have to make adjustment. You can't just get scared. That's why I went to rehab. I went because I was struggling.
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 8: I found myself going from loving the game to missing practice, Like like, what the fuck is going on here with alcohol?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, and you know, look exclusively no, right, but that was that was my that was my choice.
Speaker 3: That was my drug choice. But to get help, you got to get to the root of the problem. And there was people in front of me.
Speaker 8: That did that, so I didn't feel alone, right there was so anyway, you know, the making a long story short, you make adjustments and then you get you get repaid.
Speaker 3: So think about this.
Speaker 8: So in eighty seven, eighty eight, I went December thirteenth, nineteen eighty seven, through Christmas through the holidays. I remember coming it was I was probably a mile from the Forum. I was at Sentinela Hospital Hospital sitting there, and then got out. After thirty five or forty days, I come back on Southwest and I'm reading the paper. I'm reading the paper in the joint like, oh they they what another small photo? Damn Elly's really trying to get my spot away. So I come back to Oakland, get off the flight. The team's going to LA to play the Clippers. I'm looking, okay, I see all the guys that trying to take my job. I went right to the gym, started training. So from eighty eight coming out of rehab. Four years later, I was in the in the Olympics. Do to do a lot of people's no, a lot of but teammates, coaches support system, right, So that's you know, And I give David Stern a lot of credit because he made this league ultra professional. Like it's a privilege, right, You don't just show up and take You got to give back as well.
Speaker 1: You say, Mitchell riz eight gets the Rookie of the Year, and you guys kind of feel like you have some momentum. Timmy, your story is hilarious and I want you to share what everyone because Nelly pulled a fast one to end up landing you.
Speaker 3: You were supposed to go higher than you went. Well, how come you ended up falling to the Warriors.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he took all my money away. I was supposed to be a lottery pick.
Speaker 6: You know, Minnesota, Indiana, Bill Musselman.
Speaker 4: His son really hates him Nelly to this day. Right now.
Speaker 6: He's like he killed his dad's career because he picked Pool Richson instead of me.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was supposed to go to them places.
Speaker 6: And Nelly was calling everybody saying, hey, he got bad knees, he only gonna last two or three years. Don't pick him. That'd be the worst pick of your career. You're gonna get fired the next year. He was telling coaches that, and then he ends up getting me, picking me at fourteen. But it was blessing in this, you know, coming to the Golden State, to the Bay Area with like we said, we had a great complimentary players, but with Mitch and Molly, it's just like I fit right into that puzzle and everything just clicked. First team Money said after that press, come, he said, what you want to do? I said, Man, I haven't played ball in four or five days. I want to go hoo. He was like, let's go. We went straight to the gym and started for about three hours.
Speaker 4: Oh man.
Speaker 6: And we just clicked right away, just clicked right away. You know, Nelly knew what he was doing. He knew what I could do and how I can do it, and how I could fit right in with this this puzzle.
Speaker 4: And it was great.
Speaker 1: So, Mitch, everything is on track. Now you got Molley, you got yourself, and Tim has has slid into it. So what's your first impression, whether it's pick up, when it first started training camp, at the beginning of the season, when did you guys know you guys had something special.
Speaker 2: I can remember Nelly coming to me and he was watching tape on on Tim before the draft and he told me to pop in and he said, what do you think about this kid? I started watching the little film. I'm like, man, I like him. You know, I saw him a little bit. I thought he was about six y five, you know, because you can hear him.
Speaker 3: Through the TV.
Speaker 2: You ain't shit, you know, just cussing like you to hear him through the TV. I got you know, he was saying all crazy stuff. So when I saw him, I'm like, man, yeah, we need somebody like that, because he was tough and he even though that he was a great score, he was a great passer. And so the one thing that I can remember that that year when we really took off, Nellie, you know, set the whole team down and said, hey, Tim is the captain, and when he gets the rebound, when everybody get the rebound, give it to Tim, and you guys just run. So at that time, I was just trying to beat money down the court. You order me money, trying to beat me down the court. Everyone was running, man, because yeah, we knew we had to get down.
Speaker 3: There before Tim, right, uh you shooting it. So you know, we had a rule only only three of us.
Speaker 2: Can shoot the early shot, you know what I mean, if we get down we could shoot the early shot.
Speaker 3: But other than that, we had to move the ball.
Speaker 2: And Nellie would you know, come into the game sometime before the game and say, listen, we're gonna run motion and if you guys are not sharing it, I'm gonna call plays all game. And we're like, hey, man, come on, man, let's let's run this motion. Because we you know, we had to learn from money as well, because money was always moving. So if you didn't move, you know, you know you had to You had to honor the back pick. Somebody set a backpick, you had to cut, yeah, because you was helping your other teammate. And so everyone became a point guard. When you had the ball. If you didn't have a good shot for yourself, you had to move it to the next guy. And you know, Nellie put that confidence in you. If you open, you shoot it. But if you can't shoot that shot, give it up. So you know we had we.
Speaker 6: Had a good Another thing, if you thought you was in shape, yes, you come. You see what Molly was doing. He was out of shape. He wasn't in shape. You had to get in shape to keep.
Speaker 3: Up with him.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, he practiced before practice, he was doing practice. He practiced, I mean he on the stand master after practice, going hour.
Speaker 3: He was playing to him the same way. He was in better shape than.
Speaker 4: Nothing, and he was he was upstairs.
Speaker 8: Yes, but I gotta laugh at that because once again that was post Yes sentanella.
Speaker 3: That was like a new Habit was that a flip? What? What? What? What switch? Flip? For you?
Speaker 1: Just you kind of saw like I said, ship, I don't take this shit serious, gonna be just switch.
Speaker 3: No, No, I was like that, and I got the rail. It kind of went back to it, you know.
Speaker 8: So it's kind of like it's it's a great life lesson really if you don't pay attention to details. You know, we're all susceptible to different things in life, right, we all are at some point, right, temptations comes to everybody. So it got the best to me, but with help I got back. It was funny because if you talk to Mitch and Tim Knumy after that, so they don't know that other side. If you talked to my teammates my first three years, they would be like, whoa, no, you know a different side. But but we all go through that, right at some point. The other person that was was John Lucas was the other guy. I just want to mention him too. He was a big help to.
Speaker 1: Mine what was your guys' first impression of Nelly? Because we all know Nelly is outside the box. I mean he would bring beers to practice at ten am or sometimes it'd be crowning this cup is well his doget.
Speaker 8: We're going to get to your guys verse, right, So when you guys get well. I he came first and he was hat down, couldn't see his eyes.
Speaker 3: He was the GM.
Speaker 8: He was kind of like overseeing everything and you could feel something's getting ready to go down.
Speaker 3: Right, And that's when George was coaching. And then when he made that switch.
Speaker 8: I'm talking about like attention to detail, notebook taking notes, pop.
Speaker 3: Quizzes, like school.
Speaker 8: Yes, like he had all his play And this is not to you know, compare generations, but Nelly's first training camp, Mitch was I think Mitch was there. It was twenty eight days before the opening.
Speaker 3: Night, that's right today.
Speaker 8: Until the last day two days and I'm talking about tape. But it was emphasized on fitness, but also organization, so whether it be you know, in the NBA you don't see presses, we do a press break. Because it also promoted passing, so that we talked yesterday about Nellie teaching how to play together and then putting sets in later, whether it be like ten mentioned three dribble limit five passes. A lot of times our offense was, you know, don't shoot the ball to you make five passes, and after that figured it out. But Nelly was amazing when he's locked in and you guys know that been to anybody attention to detail.
Speaker 3: You know, he was.
Speaker 8: Schooled by rad Aulback, so that that's really where his teachings came from. And he was able to adjust, you know, two different generations.
Speaker 1: So you wouldn't have been his favorite at the beginning because you don't read or do test well.
Speaker 7: When he gave us that that book, I shit stayed in the locker. I had to run the plays. I can't read and figure out I have to actually do it to play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that didn't work for me. Met you exactly right, and I'm proud to say it. Mitch, tell me what you need.
Speaker 1: Your thought, Nelly, you're fresh out of college.
Speaker 3: What's your thought? Your first impression in.
Speaker 2: Nelly, I never thought I was gonna come to Golden State as well. Back then we had when you were a senior, we had the Orlando Classic and so every player that was supposed to be in the draft played against each other. So they would have five or six teams and then NBA coaches will coach the team.
Speaker 3: Nelly coached me.
Speaker 2: And ended up like when I went to that camp, they said I was gonna get drafted between twenty one and twenty five. After that camp, they said I was going to be the top five. Nelly never said anything to me. He was the coach. I would see him in the airport, never said nothing. I would be in I've been in the same elevator with him. No, just keep his head down. And so I never thought I was going to come to, you know, Golden State, and so when the draft came, I thought I was going to go to Philly at number three, but I think they did Charles Smith and then they traded Hershey Hawkins for Charles Smith.
Speaker 3: And then.
Speaker 2: Cotton fitz Simmons was at Phoenix and he said, if you get to eight, I'm taking you, because I followed Cotton from junior college to Kansas State and then he went to a coach at I mean he was a general manager so at Phoenix. So when Golden State drafted me, I was like, man, he never would say anything to me.
Speaker 3: You know, I didn't know anything.
Speaker 2: But when I first got here, Man, I can remember playing an the Olympics because we was on the Olympic team before we went to the camp. And so when I when we left the Olympics, I flew all the way back to Oakland, went straight to the gym and and Nelly was there, and so I played. I just wanted to get wanted to get here and get acclimated. Nellie pulled me aside and say, man, you were terrible. Man, I say, man, I just took nineteen hours on the flight, bro, I just came from Soul, Korea. I just wanted to come in.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like, man, you were telling you need a lot of work.
Speaker 2: I'm like, dagn It's like, man, this is gonna be tough, you know what I mean. So I remember, and I didn't get signed that year because I mean, I get it.
Speaker 3: I didn't even have training camp, so I had to go.
Speaker 2: I went to LA for a couple of days, went to Chicago for a couple of days to start working out, and I didn't meet the team until Hawaii when we were playing the Lakers. And so but but Nellie was great because he put us in such good positions and he gave you confidence, you know what I mean. And he gave us confidence and say do what you do, you know what I mean. Work on your stuff and practice when you get to the game, do what you're supposed to do.
Speaker 3: Don't try nothing, in any game. So he was really good at that. Tim, did you turn your style up? Down?
Speaker 1: Keep it the same? When you first got here? What was your first impression and how did you guys bond?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 4: He just let me do? What I just do?
Speaker 6: He just like, just go ahead and just play. And he had to confidence to change the shot. He tried to change my shot.
Speaker 3: Yeah you remember that?
Speaker 4: No, I don't remember that.
Speaker 2: It's always been a knuckleball. It was always He tried to change it. Did He said, you know what it was going in?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean if it goes in, why change you know?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 6: But I mean when I first got here, I just had so much respect, and you know you, I come from a situation where you always listen to the coach, always here to the coach, always gonna do what you can do for the coach, and whatever he says, you're.
Speaker 4: Gonna go out there and play.
Speaker 6: But y'all remember that that that summer league camp to him and sat sand Sanders Head And where.
Speaker 4: Was that at New Hampshire?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 6: Yes, he drugged me like two a day's. He was like, son, you're not gonna make it. Son, You're not gonna make it. First of all, you're too short. You know, you're not needed.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: It was like, you gotta get quick. I want you to do this. I want you to do that. I'm like, And then I go back to the room, I'm like.
Speaker 3: Why the hell you draft me?
Speaker 4: Why tell everybody?
Speaker 6: And I guess, I guess that's to like build your confidence up, make you understand.
Speaker 4: You know, you gotta work harder. I want you to.
Speaker 6: I want you to think. I want you to go out there and understand what I'm saying. And he did that to me and Sharonis for two a days, for like ten days. He did that to me in Sharonis for ten days out on New Hampshire, Sharon Is, uh you Shrooners were so frustrated. He sometimes he was crying. And that's how frustrated.
Speaker 3: First introduction to cut you up to the United States was right.
Speaker 4: He didn't understand English. He didn't understand the language that well too.
Speaker 6: And then he's listening to Donnie Nelson and Donny Nelson is trying to tell him and he was just getting frustrated and.
Speaker 4: He's like, what am I doing wrong?
Speaker 6: And man, we just sat in the room one day and we just talked and we just said, you know what, Ronnie, we're gonna come in. Man, we're just gonna play, and we're just gonna say fuck it. And I guess that's what he wanted us to do. And we the next day it was like the last two days. And you could tell the satisfaction on Nelly's face. He didn't say nothing, but you could tell the satisfaction on his face. All Right, I see you in October, late September, and then but see, I tell guys today, y'all don't know about we never had We had one or two prec preseason games, training camps, everything for thirty days or twenty two, twenty five days, right, two days was like twenty days. Your body's beat the fuck up.
Speaker 4: I mean, you beat up.
Speaker 6: I mean it takes you through a mental psychic, especially if you're a rookie. You know, man, I'm tired. My body's tired. I'm ready to go home. I don't want to do nothing but sleep. You don't even want to eat.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's how the halftime for that next thing.
Speaker 6: You know, it's get taped you and that thing, and you sitting down like Mann.
Speaker 4: The next thing, you know, you start sweating and all right, let's go.
Speaker 6: And then he started yelling at everybody get yelled at and then you know you but yeah, man, I that's where I think the confidence came. I think that's where the camaraderie came from all of us and we all understood what we need to do to make this team work and to win games.
Speaker 4: And we was all on one page.
Speaker 6: I mean, everybody, Rod Higgins, Terry t Go, Tom Tober, everybody, everybody.
Speaker 1: Where did the explosion run TMC hit? First of all, where'd the name come from? And I remember hearing that as a little kid. I mean, I know it had to be bigger than what it was when I heard it, but it was amazing to me. But where did the name come from? And obviously it was a style of play, But how did you guys embrace that name?
Speaker 3: Well, they had like a fan involvement.
Speaker 8: You know, we started scoring big points and you know, started garnering some excitement, selling the arena out. I think it was actually the San Francisco Chronicle had you know, fans right in their suggestions. And then Steve Albert, who was our TV and now to the time we did something that practice. We pulled a few names out of a hat.
Speaker 6: And no, we didn't put free names out of the hat, put a lot it went to We stopped the camera, we started looking at stuff.
Speaker 4: We like stuff. It was this big jumbo thing. Man, it had to be a thousand names up.
Speaker 3: And there it was some crazy ones, some some goofy wall.
Speaker 5: Yeah it was.
Speaker 8: It was run CMC hit and obviously Jack. You know, ironically Daryl McDaniel, part from DMC was my class made at Saint John' so we had gone back back way back to college days. So I was like, yo, that's gotta be it, and they were on board. So and then it's funny how, you know, I mean, I didn't really even know this till way after I finished playing. We only played two seasons, so I didn't know that because.
Speaker 3: Of the impact that these guys really had. But uh, and then I guess having a nickname does help it kind of, you know, it has stuck all these years.
Speaker 8: It's funny how that one little practice session was kind of we probably re lucky. We did it reluctantly because like, come on, we want to go home. But looking back thirty five years later, that little little kind.
Speaker 1: Of gimmick has stuck forever you know what's funny. I mean, you guys got two years. We had one year that you know what I mean. We believe it was one year one year office.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I mean next year because we tried. We traded j Rich next year. You know.
Speaker 1: But like I said that, like the d like you said, the impact of a name can last a lifetime. When I came back here in seventeen and played with those guys that won the championship, they wanted to know, the media wanted to know, and the fan what was that we would leave team?
Speaker 8: So when let me ask you guys, I want to ask you guys this because Jack, you had a pretty good career before you came here. Matt you had bounced around, but you had you had some solid years. What made it different that we believe team? And we talked about Nelly our experience. What made that group different from your other experiences?
Speaker 3: Right, because because.
Speaker 8: Again the short short time lived, but the impact and the short amount of time to talk about your guys experience for that, we believed team.
Speaker 7: I think for me, it's kind of real, similar to what I said, Like I said, I had my own issues before I came here, But It was Nelly for me because when I first came here, you know, he my first conversation with us, He got me and b D drunk and told us we're the captains.
Speaker 3: I've never been to captain of no team. You know.
Speaker 7: He would just let me know immediately when I got here, I don't care about what you've been through. I know, you get your first seven games here, you suspend, don't worry about none of that.
Speaker 3: You're on my guy.
Speaker 7: And he gave me the confidence coming in I've never had from anybody since Pop really, you know. So it was refreshed for me. Then I'm here with all the guys that I knew bad al you know what I'm saying. I knew all these guys, so it just felt right and I needed a change, you know, I need a chance. So it was a blessing this guy for y'all bringing me. That's why if I ever appreciate, appreciate you for that.
Speaker 3: And I think too.
Speaker 1: By the time Nelly had us, he had gone to the kind of the positive reinforcement. Instead of giving you, he gave you guys the negative to try to figure it out. He was just really warm from the beginning. I mean my whole shit. I came and played the open gym. I didn't have a job, and Nelly happened to be watching, and I played well in open gym with Baron and he came in and put his arm around me, like, son, where you going to camp?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: He's like, we got a full roster and invice, but if you play like you played today, I'm gonna give you a chance. And I beat everybody out and they cut a couple of dudes. And then I went from being on the bench and he's like, hey, I'm gonna give you a shot.
Speaker 3: He's like, if you're open, shoot the ball.
Speaker 1: And that's what I went from making ten three pointers in my first four seasons to over one hundred that initial season because it was the confidence that Nelly did. But it started with him. And then, like he said, our bond with our teammates. We were everywhere. I'm sure you guys heard about it. We were everywhere everywhere doing every we heard about it.
Speaker 3: We were in the front. Wasn't all hell, No, we wouldn't doing none of that. You definitely brought that they were.
Speaker 1: I was just I was just sitting in my house smoking until Jack made us all smoke.
Speaker 5: But no.
Speaker 4: But see that's how Nelly is. You know, Nelly was smart.
Speaker 6: He knew how to put a team together, and he knew how to make the pieces work, and he knew which piece that he needed for that team to make it work.
Speaker 4: We had Tom Tobert. Tom Toba was the joke.
Speaker 6: Nelly be mad coming there, furious talking, smack this and that, and Tom will say something funny right after you. As soon as he walked out, he'd be like, he'd say something funny and we're like, okay, were good, We're good.
Speaker 4: But that's the way Tom was. But we needed that.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: Tom will come in from from Las Vegas at four in the morning, come straight to the arena for shooting around and he'd be like, yeah, man, I lost all my money and I'm still drunk, and so let's get this ship over and let's hurry up.
Speaker 4: All right, we're gonna shoot some jump shots. Nelly got something else. All right, we're gonna run oh ship. He must have known I was out of town. Yeah, motherfucker you talking. I mean, but that's the way it is.
Speaker 6: You gotta have somebody on that team, on your team that could just take that edge weight at times, and Nellie knew who that guy was.
Speaker 2: And I think you know, you say we played two seasons. I think we felt it was longer than that because of the training camps, you know what I mean. We were together every day. I'm just saying, Man, we practiced it. We together, we backing, so we may thought better. That's fives we.
Speaker 6: Played, didn't He put some cots out there, some beds out there one time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he put everything out there.
Speaker 6: Jail and we didn't lead a gym like a couple of days, just did not lead a gym us like that.
Speaker 4: I was lucky. Yeah, I was lucky. I mean he was.
Speaker 6: I mean just some of the stuff that he did, like you said, the doll coming in, just shipping over the.
Speaker 7: Court, man, practice Lucky just walking up we playing five and five, he just shipped on the court.
Speaker 3: That come on, lucky.
Speaker 7: Coach is the only coach that I played for that by the time he started practice at ten thirty, he went through a six pack, oh, no question, and coaching like he's sober, no question.
Speaker 3: I missed. Coach.
Speaker 7: He was the only coach that actually let us be us, and I think that's why we had success. Shout our coach. Let's get back to y'all. Ninety one playoff y'all upset the Spurs in the first round. David Robinson ro Strickland. How crazy did that go?
Speaker 3: Oh man and oil arena around that time? How was it loud like? Because we experienced it too, not quite as loud as we believe.
Speaker 8: But but on this way there and that particular series you mentioned, David and Terry Cummins rosh they had a really talented team. Larry Brown was the coach. We lost game one in the first round. Back then was a five game series. It was a short series. You really have a whole lot of wiggle room. We got blown out that first game, and typical Nelly, he walked in the locker room, He's.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, we got him, we got hit that. Come back tomorrow. We got a little walk.
Speaker 8: Through and uh yeah, yeah yeah two one. So game two, Nelly's adjustment was we had started I think Tom of a Jim Peterson and you know, matched up with David. In game two, we started us three, Rod Higgins and Mary Ellie.
Speaker 3: We went ultra small. Who guarded who guarded? Uh?
Speaker 8: David Rod front, front, the post and the top exactly, you know, you know what, but uh yeah, and we won three in a row. So so again all went down two no, gentleman, sweet so yeah, just again.
Speaker 3: You know you're looking now. The way the games played.
Speaker 8: Now, The way you guys played very similar to what teams are trying to do now. Not as many threes, spreading the floor, attacking the attacking the paint, kicking out for open shots. Uh, not really worrying about guarding the big got him as a team maybe like we did Novitzky, or we'd always front the post. And Nelly always felt like, you can't lose a game by people throwing over the top. They're gonna score some, but you got not gonna lose the game that way.
Speaker 3: What was that matchup like with you and rock.
Speaker 4: Ooh yeah, he fucked me up.
Speaker 6: The first guy the first game, he fucked me up. Yeah, he gave it to me. He yeah, he gave it to me. But the next day in practice Nelly said, and you know, we had Greg Popovich as our assistant coach.
Speaker 4: To yea, yeah, he was our assistant coach.
Speaker 6: But Nellie went up and started walking around doing his walking around the concourse, and we was down there playing three on three whole court.
Speaker 4: We was playing like for about an hour hour. No, no, it was.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 6: So we we we're playing three on three whole court for about an hour, hour and a half.
Speaker 4: Now they come back downstairs, like y'all still here.
Speaker 6: Was like, yeah, man, you know, and Newly said, we're gonna, we're gonna, We're gonna play horse. I get the first shots, but we're gonna play with one ball. They put the ball up. He said, I got the first shot. He said, Man, get the fuck up out of here. So we left and we came back. It was but it was a different type of air. We came back to the arena the next day that shooting around. You could just feel the confidence of us just oozing through the whole arena. I mean you could tell the focus was there, the tension and detail was there. You know, guys was making I mean guys probably in their misshots that whole you know, that whole shooting round and it was just focused. We came back that night. Yeah, fucked him up. Oh yeah, I got him back. But we but but it was you know what, it was collective, uh teamwork with with all of us Mario Ally, Rod Strickland. I mean Rod Higgins making threes, timely threes. David Robinson was looking at Larry Brown like.
Speaker 3: I'm supposed to go that. I was supposed to do it right.
Speaker 6: He got frustrated because he wasn't getting the ball like he normally do.
Speaker 4: He couldn't score.
Speaker 6: Then he had he was like three, you know that the rules was you can't come down and double team nobody without the ball. So he didn't know what doing. We throw it back to Rod, and we throw it back to Tom tober shoot the three. He was he was all messed up and so and once you get him messed up, then they started talking to each other and William Anderson started talking and stuff. They didn't know what to do, and they started arguing among each other, and we was like, oh, we got.
Speaker 1: Him, Mitch, when did you know to that point when you when did you know in that series that y'all had him?
Speaker 2: In Game two, Game one, we were kind of there, but they kind of blew us how we were just missing shots. And I felt like we can we could have went, we could have won the game. And you remember Nelly came in the locker room and said what Molly said that we got him, but you two, muther freaking's.
Speaker 3: Got to play some defense. So Willie with me and Tim.
Speaker 6: Yeah was great.
Speaker 2: I guess YouTube because WILLI had a great game and and Rod had a great game, and so.
Speaker 4: I was like, yeah, I was getting my asked.
Speaker 7: Ye.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we switched it up.
Speaker 2: And once we switched it up with Rod, and Rod was kind of playing that that rover like Draymond Green where you passed it to him he dribble us and and David couldn't. David couldn't understand what was going on, and we just kept running and once we got the rebound, you know, it.
Speaker 3: Was on and David could run run around that time. Yeah, chasing the three men.
Speaker 4: Right getting backscreen guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, walkee, yeah doing it. We all get traded at some point. Yeah, walk is different though, you don't like somebody with the walk.
Speaker 7: Look, first man, y'all lose to the Lakers in round two at ninety one. Then the off season Mitches traded to Sack. I know that was the still make your excel.
Speaker 3: You don't like somebody, you trade them the Sack And how did it?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 3: What was there? Did you guys know the reason behind that?
Speaker 5: Was there?
Speaker 1: Any strategy behind it? Was it because I've known for I've known the best side of Nelly. And then Nelly went bad on me.
Speaker 3: I don't know. He went bad on you too. He went bad on me, he went bad on man. Hey, Nellie, real quick story.
Speaker 1: I turned this is my first time really playing and have an opportunity to get money, and I turned down a three year extension. You go, and I took just four million for one year because I felt like, all right, I may give me one more season. I'm gona get my thirty or forty million. My mom died at the beginning of that next season. Once I kind of got out the clouds, Nellie's like, pull me to the side of the back. I'm glad you just signed an extension. Your time here is up. I'm like, damn moly. Like so, I saw the best of Nelly. I saw the worst a year.
Speaker 3: You remember what he said the Patrick O'Brien when he was there.
Speaker 7: Oh man, she told Patrick O'Brien said, Patrick, you know what, all my years of coaching, you are the only player that's gotten worse since I've been coaching.
Speaker 2: Oh he was, Oh, but I think same thing. What you're talking about like I can remember at the time, we were flying commercial and I was sitting at the airport and Nellie came up to me and said, hey, man.
Speaker 3: Why you know why you're not signing the extension.
Speaker 2: And I said, uh, well, I mean I just think that I'm worth a little bit more than that. He said, you must don't want to be here. Said oh no, no, no, I said, no, I want to. I want to be here. But I mean, like you, you're low balling me my last year. I got another year on my contract, you know what I mean, So I don't I want to be here. It's like I say, so, I say, I just you know, you just paid money and I say, you know, he said money was? I say, who is the best player? He said, Chris Mullen is the best player. At some point in time, you're gonna, you know, get up there. And I said, okay, so you just paid money three something whatever it was, just put me right below him. Then if you don't, if you don't believe in that, just give me one more year and I show you that I'm worth it. But I want to be here.
Speaker 3: I love this team.
Speaker 2: After that, boy, I was on the trade block every time I looked at the paper. I'm like, God, damn, what happened?
Speaker 3: Man? What happened?
Speaker 2: Then in the preseason, the preseason, it's the preseason. He playing me crazy and Sacramento. I'm like, something happening, Like, you know, it's the preseason. I'm playing thirty minutes like, Man, something happening.
Speaker 3: Man, the dude turning the trade display. Yeah, but I thought he was gonna try.
Speaker 2: I thought he was gonna I thought he's gonna trade me to Boston and somewhere like that.
Speaker 3: But he traded me to Sacramento.
Speaker 2: And I can remember seeing Molley in Denver getting ready to go down to the bus. Mulley sees me in the elevator and going down to the elevator and he said, where you're going. I was going up, he was going down. I said, I'm going to Nellie's. Uh, going to Nellie's room. I know something going on. So when I opened the door, he had the latch on the door. He's sitting on the back of the window with the you know when they have the air conditions in the back. I opened the door and I say, Man, don't tell me you traded me the Sacramento bro. He said, I traded you the Sacramento I just turned right back around and left and probably didn't speak to him until the time he came back to We believe, really didn't.
Speaker 3: Speak to him.
Speaker 7: What was y'all thinking at the time, till Molly, What was y'all thinking at the time.
Speaker 8: We were shocked and upset. I didn't know about those conversations. As far as contracting, We didn't. We didn't involve each other in that stuff. It was like, you know, but yeah, we were shocked. The good thing is we've remained really close despite that, maybe closer so you know, mitchan on and had an incredible career from then on. Tim had two incredible careers, one with Us, one with Miami.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: So but you know, when when something like that happens, this is pre somewhat, I guess, player empowerment. So we were really weren't in on that stuff. They didn't consult us. That was it was totally different. We played and that was our job, and you know, so yeah, and then you know, the the ironic thing was when that happened Opening night, we came back on a back to back and played Sacramento.
Speaker 3: Mitch didn't play. I couldn't play. I couldn't play. My mind was gone. Man, I was scarred. Gard go ahead, I mean, but he told us.
Speaker 1: You told us you didn't even move to Sack, right, You was just computing back and forth.
Speaker 3: Just bought my house in Alameda.
Speaker 2: And anytime, you know, the Warriors had at a like a team get together, I was with them.
Speaker 3: I was, I was. I was at Chris House. I was at Chris all the whole time. Like, man, this is my tea. Man, I don't know what y'all. I'm just playing Summer League down there.
Speaker 7: Ship.
Speaker 2: I was at every Christmas party. I was at Chris House the first one there. Like we are the same team. Like, man, I ain't going down there.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: So my first three four years I lived in Alameda. I just commuted every day.
Speaker 3: But remember that game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he walked into our locker room. It's like Mitch.
Speaker 3: I walked in their locker room.
Speaker 4: You know, he was playing Sack. He thought, walked into the locker room.
Speaker 3: I was done.
Speaker 6: Everybody's like Mitch. Mitch was like, he walked right back out. He walked out of the building, got back in his car and went home.
Speaker 2: At first, I went to the locker room and Dick made at the time was and Dick Marner.
Speaker 3: I was just sitting in the locker room. Man, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I was a young player, you know, I was a young player. So I'm just sitting in the locker room like, man, my life is over. Like man, that's that was my team because we did everything everything together.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 3: So I was really hurt.
Speaker 2: And Dick Marter came and said, hey, you're gonna get dressed. I say, man, I can't play, man, I mean, that's my team.
Speaker 3: I can't play bro. I'm not ready to play missus watering man. Man, I said, I can't. I can't play bro. I can't play.
Speaker 6: Actually, it took him a week to get to Sack. Yeah, he took like a week off.
Speaker 4: He had to get there. I mean, that's how that's how special our team was. That's how special we was to each other.
Speaker 6: And you know, we it still was a business and we still had to go out there and play, but we knew that something was missing.
Speaker 4: Even though Billy was there. Yeah, we still was like and.
Speaker 3: You had to go and do your job at the end of the day.
Speaker 2: Still I still had to go and I had to figure that out at the too. But but once I got so that game, y'all said, we lost by sixty one. Oh yeah, lost by sixty one points. And so they supposed to have the practice, you know, a few days.
Speaker 3: They had two or three days off after that loss. Let it sit two or three days off.
Speaker 2: Now I'm coming from Nelly, who we get a win, we practicing. Now that they lost by sixty one, they got two days off, I'm like, oh my god. Open yeah, I'm like, oh my god. So yeah, So it was it was tough to see every day. And then you know, still being in Sacramento, Golden State. You know, they they fled the headlines. You know what I mean, you guys was on the headlines every time, and I'm looking at the paper every day.
Speaker 3: Brother, it was tough.
Speaker 2: I didn't if y'all see the pictures of my year. I said, I was not gonna comb my hair. I said, Man, I ain't worried about nothing. I'm just gonna play ball, ain't gonna say nothing. I'm just gonna just go hoop. I ain't worried about nothing else.
Speaker 3: That's it. That's the only thing got me through. We got a gift for you guys, real quick. We got to get you guys out of here. Let's do it. Here's what we got from our from our amazing So.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get your guys the size and send them to you. We got all these for all you, these new covies. Appreciate you what what size of these? Fifteen Before we.
Speaker 8: Roll, Uh, Jack, we spoke, Yes, said, I want to thank you and Matt first, congratulate you on your post career success.
Speaker 3: You said, said real a.
Speaker 8: Really high standard for the young generation to follow your lead. Yes, You've been great, great mentors on this platform, and I want to thank you personally for the joy that you brought to us.
Speaker 3: Yes, and to the Bay Area with that, with that much similar to us. With that, we believe team. You guys re energize the organization. Uh. Loudest building I ever heard was when you guys were.
Speaker 1: You, I mean you guys like I said, Well, you guys saved our careers. You know, like I said, we did it together. I was bouncing around, he was coming out of trouble and and like you said, said, Nelly's foresight to understand the pieces that he needed.
Speaker 3: Were important.
Speaker 8: It's funny if you look up here, you may think opposites are track, but similarities attracted.
Speaker 3: We have a lot of similarities.
Speaker 7: I mean over time, Like even over time when I first got to go to State, I got to learn more about all both of y'all. You know what I'm saying, even man, you be built a better relationship because I really didn't know y'all at all, but I knew of you, but even to this day, to right now, to know more your money and to know what you went through, like, I admire you even more because you don't know these stories.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: I've seen you played basketball, I didn't know what you went through off the court, so I had already respected you as a man and as a player, but I respect you.
Speaker 3: Even more now. That's why I like what you guys are doing.
Speaker 8: We're bringing stories to like because you know, you can look up the stats, you can look up the wins and losses or championship rings, but the personal relationships that we form, but then we call so pass that on to the next generation, right and help that next generation, you know, navigate their journey. I feel like you guys are doing great job. Thank you that thank you.
Speaker 3: I came up in Texas. Yeah, in Texas, so I know I know a lot about you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you came up in Texas, in.
Speaker 7: Texas, so I know a lot about you. What I'm saying, growing up, you know everything you are. You are a big part of our basketball life and the soundtrack of our life too.
Speaker 1: So we appreciate you and definitely too. I think the one reason why we wanted to start this was to be able to celebrate guys like you because I feel like, obviously you guys missed the social media era and everything is overhyped and over dramatized now, But we grew up. I was born in eighty when we were born seventy eight, yep, So we understood what it used to be like in the grind. Like we talk about load management now, y'all had twenty eight straight days of do it. You know, there wasn't no such thing.
Speaker 4: It was no such thing as you guys.
Speaker 1: It was a badge of honor to play eighty two. That's how we came up. It was a badge of honor to play eighty two. So just not forgetting that, you know, the people before you, but obviously when we were able to watch what you guys were able to do, for us and inspire us and then get a chance to work with you, then get a chance to know you so again. Man, we want to definitely celebrate you guys. Thank all three of you guys, because you've all been on the show individually, but now to come back as a unit. Man, we appreciate you. We got some We got some more gifts. Mother, you're just getting loaded up this trip. Money got a bad guess, smell like there's some weed in there too.
Speaker 3: There. You don't need that medicine.
Speaker 4: You can just I know some people. People got some questions. Who made that chicken over there? It's on fire? Yeah, I was on fire.
Speaker 3: Make sure y'all get a plate.
Speaker 4: Leave well made that I need your car for real.
Speaker 1: We appreciate you, guys, man, Thank you guys, Thank you guys.
Speaker 3: T C y'all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they gotta go do some NBA ship. We're gonna do some fan questions, real quick questions, questions. Anybody with some questions. Don't be shy if you don't want to ask questions, I'm just gonna go upstairs and smoke. So yes already.
Speaker 4: Who was your response to this?
Speaker 1: Free I think the trade put Dallas in a position if they could stay healthy to win now, but you don't as a Laker.
Speaker 3: I've always been a Laker fan.
Speaker 1: You don't pass on the opportunity to get a generational star, which I think Luca is. I think the Lakers still need to build around that. I think they found who's next after Lebron obviously, but for those two guys to win together, they you know, they need to add a few big guys. But I think it's great. You know, I think it's great. I think it's fun. I think it's what makes the NBA crazy is you just never know what's going to happen, so free. I would say, Dallas one now in La one that the long game, don't be shy, Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 3: With the success of the w n b A, do you think the NBA could ever have anything.
Speaker 7: Similar to unrival I do that when you could just partner with the Big three.
Speaker 3: But I wouldn't even say partner with the big three.
Speaker 1: I think the issue is, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, what the WNBA players are being paid. I think Unrivaled is able to give them something to do in the off seasons so the don't have to go overseas and possibly get hurt. But the way the NBANBA players are making so much money that I don't ever really see, especially with the Big Three already in existence. I don't never really see the Big or the NBA kind of changing that format or having an NBA offseason because we play eighty two games, playoffs, a ton of money, and then our break is only really three months, So if you did Unrival, that's ten weeks out of three months. I just don't see it happening. But I like Unrival though, I think it's dope. I love the one on one competition. I like the thought process behind it and the fact that you can get the best players in your league to all commit to that that's special.
Speaker 7: I think it's just smarter for the NBA just to get behind the Big Three, all the older players in the Hall of Famers that they tried around all year to Africa and all the other places to raise money for the NBA. These are the coaches of the Big Three. George Gervin, doctor j Gary Payton, all these guys are the head coaches.
Speaker 3: So why wouldn't you support these guys another time you.
Speaker 7: Support them, we should support them with the Big Three as well. So I think the NBA should get behind them since it's all their players and all their coaches as well.
Speaker 3: Makes more sense than anything, so guarantee. Question.
Speaker 8: So when your kids.
Speaker 1: Work, kids in your life are on a team where they are issues with.
Speaker 7: A coach or they love the coach, what advice do you give kids or kids who.
Speaker 8: Played for you.
Speaker 7: How to connect with their coach or getting the best out of what the coach on the bring to that.
Speaker 1: It just depends because I'm in the space as far as coaching, I retired in seventeen, and I've been coaching my twins since they were eight and they're sixteen now. A lot of these coaches, to be honest with, you can't coach first and foremost. But I always try to teach my kids the mental side of the game. I feel like the skill development will come, but to be able to make it to the top, it takes a lot of luck, but it takes a strong mental focus in fortitude. So since they were eight, I've been teaching them NBA sets and how to play without the ball and all that kind of stuff. And I wish more coaches would really pour into the mental and the teaching aspect because I feel like in the AAU space, it's upside down. You know, in Europe they'll practice six days to play one game, or practice one day to play eight games on a weekend, you know what I mean. So at the end of the day, some of that just gets repetitive. I don't really think you're growing as a player mentally or really skill wise because you're just always playing and playing is a lot different than working. So but most of the time, if you do have a good coach, talk to him. This is something I learned in the NBA was because I played on a few teams, go what are you looking for me to do? Like when I'm on the court, what do you want me to do? And when that coach tells you that, you got to understand it and do it because they have to know and trust. Every time I put Matt out there, every time I put Steven out there, I know what he's going to do. A coach is not going to put someone out there with shit. He might do this, he might not, Like you don't have a chance. Then you very seldom have wild cards on the court. You know, call like you said, But for me, I think got to be honest with their kids. You got some parents that are bring a kid out there. The kid to have no clue why what's going on in the court, and you wonder why they're on the bench. But you're coming home telling your son, he Michael Jordan, you don't even know what the rebound is like. So your parents got to be you know what I'm saying, honest with their kids too. You know what I'm saying. If you see that he's just not picking that up, then it's something that he's good at. And that's when you have to become a good parent to take the time to find out what it is because that could be killing.
Speaker 3: It may not be basketball, might not be basketball anybody else. Yep.
Speaker 5: So congratulations again on what you guys are doing. Love it and this was dope to bring the group together. You guys have talked about on a podcasts before bringing together to We Believe team.
Speaker 3: And doing this. We're supposed to do it.
Speaker 1: We're supposed to do it later today, but some guys are in and out. Some guys are in, some guys are in, then they're out. So we're supposed to actually have a We Believe show today, but it's still up in there. I got to look on my phone. But being able to get that team back has just been tough. For some reason, it's been tough. I mean, we still all kind of talk, but getting together is always different, especially because it was more you know, run TMC. Although they had a team, it was three, you know what I mean, what we believe we were deep. You know, it's Monteus, jays Al, it's both of us, you know, with b Adrints, it's Petrice, you know.
Speaker 3: And so it's just kind of hard.
Speaker 1: But we will and still are trying to bring that team back together and also do a documentary on that team. So hopefully we'll be able to accomplish that. If it's not this weekend, whatever, we've been trying to get down, so we'll see what happens. Yeah, if they had your beverage anybody else, Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 2: I wanted to ask.
Speaker 3: Just like you guys started a lot in the Bay Area. I grew up with. I had this nine years old. Yeah, so I want I just wanted to know, like, there's just so much happening in the Bay Area. What are you guys? Top five Barrier artists.
Speaker 7: Oh it's easy because I grew up in the streets listing to bear music. I grew up on mac mal Spice one E forty and yeah short richie Vich. But today definitely the Russell and of course Simba Larry June.
Speaker 1: I just think, you know, because I was born in San Jose and kind of migrated through Oakland and then landed in Sacramento. But just the Bay is always just such a special place to me because I mean, I live in La, now live there more half my life, but like my heart is here because you guys are different. You guys look at things different. You guys move different, you respect different, you value different things.
Speaker 3: It's real out here. You know.
Speaker 1: La is a very I love La, but it's a very superficial place and there's a lot of bullshit and a lot of just bullshit talk.
Speaker 3: I hear.
Speaker 1: It's more about getting it done and being real and being kind and having good places to eat. And although y'all bit like a motherfucker, I still still love, still love the Bay.
Speaker 7: I noticed when I played here, but as a you know, later on as I got older, even when talking to Dylan, a lot of people from my hometown Poort author migrated to Oakland. Yeah, when doing the Black Panther era and a lot of that time, A lot of people from Texas migrated to Oakland because they wouldn't get treated right, and they felt like Oakland was a safe haven.
Speaker 3: So I got I got more ties to Oakland than I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anybody, anybody, somebody, Okay, well, yeah, go ahead, don't be scared when you guys feel like.
Speaker 8: They're the league team.
Speaker 4: Like, what was your favorite memories.
Speaker 1: Whether it be on or off words, To be honest with you, I would say kicking it and building friendships. You know, obviously Jack and I knew each other a little bit before he got here. We made that historical run that season, but then my mom died at the very beginning of the next season, and Jack was there by my side every step of the way.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Baron helped me get on the team, and Baron was my college teammate. And then just getting to grow closer with those guys. They're rich al Monte and the rest of the unit. I would just say the friendships we built off the court, the fun we had off the court, because like we joke about it, but like we were really a team that all smoke weed and all drank and all went out every single night. But still went out the next day and performed as professionals and handled our business. So we were able to for a while kind of burn it on both ends. You know, no pun intended, but we would have a lot of fun off the court, but then we also had a lot of fun on the court, and rarely do you find those teams like that. You know, obviously as run TMC, we wish we could have stuck together longer we had. We didn't even have a season, we believe was twenty eight games and then the playoffs, you know what I mean. So it was really like that. But I think the impact we've been able to have on the Bay Area because we were so relatable, we were touchable, we were in the streets and people just had a lot of fun watching us. I've never mully said it. Steve Kurz said it. The energy and oracle during that time has probably never be duplicated. You know, I was back there to win a championship and it wasn't even close to how loud you guys had it rocking when we were in the first round of the playoffs in two thousand and seven.
Speaker 7: So I gotta play it on a lot of teams, But like he said, the relationships, Bro, we was in each other's wins. Like the relationships we have lasted our whole careers when we played on other teams. I'm still closest with the people that I play with here in Oakland, through all the teammates I had.
Speaker 3: So that says a lot.
Speaker 7: And that means a lot, bro, because you know, you some players, you you know some guys you play with or not even here right now. You know some guys that you play with or are not in the best situation financially.
Speaker 3: Are you what their life is? You know what I mean? So to see all my brothers.
Speaker 7: Who I told I love and everybody's doing well, families is doing well, We're all doing great things.
Speaker 3: I think that means a lot. You know, that means a lot.
Speaker 7: And it's a testament to the guys and the men you know what I'm saying that we that we would we were at the time, but the men that my teammates have grown to be.
Speaker 1: Jay rich just said he could do it today. So hey, we might be building this out as we speak.
Speaker 3: Forgive me.
Speaker 1: We got we got historic day to day, we got Monte's in town.
Speaker 3: Days is the wild card? Yeah, Baron is doing always.
Speaker 7: Guess y'all know, just like we played Beatia is Yeah, Beatias. You know, he makes this whole thing go, just like we did when we played bro. You know what I'm saying. It's just he's in. He just not the brains no more. That's the brains now, you know what I'm saying. Beatie was running shit and we was playing. You know, he was the leader, but you know, Matt took over anybody else. Anything you have like a favorite area that.
Speaker 1: Jack's house twelve hundred Lake Shore, Yeah, Lake Shore, Lake Shore Drive.
Speaker 3: Lake Merritt. What what?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 3: What's what's that lake called? Lake Bear? Yeah? Lake beary? Oh man, that's the spot.
Speaker 1: Jack have you win the windows to see the views and our coaches on top. And I don't know if you guys heard the story, but the first round we won, we went back to Jack's house to you know, partake in a little of cannabis and in some alcohol, and then we went to go see Nelly had an after party or after the game party with all you know, some sponsors and older fans, and so we went and stopped by. It was me and him and Baron and a couple of people. As soon as we walk on the door. Nelly yos Hey, Fellas wood He's in the back rolling doobies, and we're looking at you like, what the fuck? Like, keep in mind, this is we just.
Speaker 3: Finished the game, were going on to the second round.
Speaker 1: He said, Woody Harrelson's in the back on his balcony rolling joints. Go back there and smoke with him. We're like, what the fuck? All right, don't have to tell us twice. So we we went in there. We're smoking weed in our coach's house or on the balcony, but in our coach's house.
Speaker 3: And then later that night, later that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kate Hudson, it was lowkeybody. And so after after that we went to the club in San Francisco out that way and then Snoop it hit me, So me, Jack and Baron went to Snoop's hotel at the Ritz right up the street and my sister. We smoked so much weed that night that security came and banged on that bitch and me and Jackie like the Rik the Ritz Carlton in San Francisco word season.
Speaker 3: So we're like, oh, ship, like we.
Speaker 1: Just got you know what I mean, Like we just won these motherfuckers just come in and unscrew the windows and open the windows so the smoke and come out. And if you guys anything, let us know and like, really it's too good.
Speaker 3: Life is too good. Yeah, it was crazy. Yeah, Snoop we had to pass with Snoop.
Speaker 1: Anybody else. I will keep you guys posting. You guys can hang around a little bit. We'll probably know in the next thirty minutes if we're gonna do what we believe show. If we do, it's gonna be around two o'clock. Some bike from my team correct me, oh burns at two thirty. Well, I think that we believe. Well, take priority. We'll make it work. So we'll keep you guys posting. You guys can hang out.
Speaker 3: There's food.
Speaker 1: We're gonna go upstairs and part take. But but we appreciate you guys showing up. I know there's a lot of shit going on, So thank you guys for spending some time with us, and make sure.
Speaker 3: You try to do our mess. Coal.
Speaker 1: It's it's a little early, but it's it's it's happy hour somewhere, so go ahead and grab yourself a drink. We got some food, and again, thank you guys for coming out.
Speaker 3: Thank you, assass