Speaker 1: Podcast starts now, what's up everybody? You're listening to Stradio Lab Live two weeks ago from New York City.
Speaker 2: I almost feel like we should talk about the fact that you are here for your wedding more because we didn't talk about it in the previous episode, or am I being so literal and we need to like let go and let ideas come to us.
Speaker 1: No, we can talk about it.
Speaker 2: There's something about this moment being captured on tape where I'm like, y'll wind up.
Speaker 1: We listen to this one day. You know, this is how I felt after Trump was elected the second time. You flew in yesterday.
Speaker 2: I flew in yesterday, and today's Tuesday, and you're getting married on Saturday. Yeah, how are you feeling, Queen?
Speaker 1: I feel normal. I'm feeling like like I do feel a bit like like it's a solo show and I'm like, oh god, oh god. Like there's just like logistics that are sort of unknown until the day of where you're like, oh, like what if someone weird shows up and they like.
Speaker 2: Well, well we've had a couple of close calls folks, and yeah.
Speaker 1: Like what if it's really windy and and like the something blows away or I don't know what I'm like, there's like all these little things, but I'm and but I'm mostly just excited. I think it'll be fun. Yeah, I feel I think because I don't know if you felt this way. Because we've been together so long, I feel like, like, similarly to how we were talking about, like how every gig on earth is open, and so it's like is this more important or less important? There's something about being together for so long where it doesn't feel like, fuck it, we're taking a leap, Like it just feels like, oh, we're sort of like doing what was We're just like labeling it properly.
Speaker 2: So this is actually similar to my sort of theory about how there are two ways to come out. One is to come out when you're still figuring it out because you need support, and one is to first fully figure out who you are and be like, and now it's time for me to make my debut. Wow, what did you do? I did the latter like, I yeah, yes, very you. Yes, we've talked about this, but it's like I remember when I came out to my parents. They were hurt that I hadn't done it earlier because they were like, did you think we wouldn't be supportive? Like did you think did we create an environment that made you think you couldn't tell us? And I was like no, I just didn't want it to be at all a conversation. I wanted to first fully like like have a boyfriend, like have know exactly who I was and what I wanted to tell you when you asked me what the deal was, and then do it. And I think I think for many for some people, especially some straight people, marriages is almost like them taking a leap in being like, let's hope this word, and like jumping off of the cliff. And I think especially for gay guys getting married in their thirties, it's sort of like, okay, what else, what else? Let's get married.
Speaker 1: I have a question when it comes to vows what level of humor are you working with? What level is appropriate? What level is inappropriate? I don't know.
Speaker 2: Should we bring in our guests to join us in chatting about this?
Speaker 1: Yes? Please welcome back to the podcast. Devin Walker.
Speaker 3: Hey, what's up? I wasn't sure if I was allowed to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Actually weren't, but I was, but you seem so eager that I said, well.
Speaker 1: I just couldn't. I was like, I'm sitting here. I was like, am I waiting for this?
Speaker 4: And also Sam looked over here a couple of times this is this happens.
Speaker 2: We can't help, but we want to be affirmed, but we don't want the guests. It's like want.
Speaker 4: O'side, Sam looking over being like, I'm like, I gotta had him.
Speaker 2: We want. We were just talking actually about the power of nodding and how it can actually be almost condescending. Like if you're in an especially in a business context. Let's say you're like pitching something. You're like, so it's about a gay guy, and then the exact is like dramatically nodding, and you're like okay. But that's ultimately what we want when we're doing our intro. We want someone to be so aggressively supportive but also silent, yeah exactly, like holding a sign that's like yeah, yeah no.
Speaker 1: It's actually so pitiful when a guest is like really like, I'm like, I'm like, we got this.
Speaker 2: The worst, of course, is when we're on zoom and someone's fully just on their phone. Oh yeah, they're just like have some respect, please, clipping his nails like, oh my god, did he clip his nails?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: Yeast say, I do do that every time I have therapy. That's my time nail therapy earlier today, and that's my clipping my nails time. Wow, I do FaceTime therapy. And that I hope she's not disrespected. I never even considered that she would be until right now.
Speaker 2: Here's a question for you. The problem what maybe she thinks you're stimming makes you do FaceTime therapy in a post COVID world.
Speaker 3: My therapist lives in Texas.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, she's grandfathered in from from literally like childhood, not from childhood.
Speaker 1: They had a childhood.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm just like, when was the last time you lived in Texas?
Speaker 1: Uh? Twenty eighteen? Oh oh, I didn't know that that was so much more recent than I expected.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, do I just feel like I've been here for a lot longer?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Did you move to New York in twenty eighteen?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's shocking to me. Why I was sure you were here at least twenty sixteen. Oh no, no, no, no, no no no. I was in Austin, Texas.
Speaker 4: I only lived in Central Texas for my whole life until twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: So you have had the same therapist since twenty since before twenty eighteen.
Speaker 3: For she left for a little bit.
Speaker 4: You know when you realize you like really don't know anything about your therapist life. Yeah, I had this moment because so we I had her in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 3: Then I moved here.
Speaker 4: Then I was too broke to afford therapy, so then we stopped seeing each other. Uh, and then we started back. Like during the Pan Dimmic endemic, I was like, I gotta go back to therapy. It's been like a year and a half. I was like it's time. And I like had a better job. I had my Comedy Central money out, so I was like, yo.
Speaker 2: Your guys' Comedy Central era. Now that was iconic. That was that was legendary. That was like it was so insane, it was. It's I think of that era the way people talk about like nineties eighties New York like anything was possible, what.
Speaker 1: A free for all?
Speaker 4: Truly Also like that that was my first job in comedy. That was my first like full time.
Speaker 1: That was my first full time job. Sure. That was when I was like, Okay, I have income, yeah, like I have like a salary. Yeah, yeah, and that felt good.
Speaker 3: It was incredible. That was an incredible time.
Speaker 4: It was the first time since I moved to New York that I could like buy a plane ticket somewhere and it didn't ruin my life financially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and of course there was nowhere to.
Speaker 2: Go right exactly. Yeah, it was like where we're applying to Yeah, texas a therapyt I did fly to text, but anyway, my therapist, Yeah, I started back with.
Speaker 4: Her during twenty two twenty and then I remember having a conversation with her where she was just like, hey, I actually need to go on maternity leave. She goes, I'm about to have my second child, And I said, I didn't know you were pregnant right now one and I didn't know you had a first kid, much less second.
Speaker 2: Anything underdiscussed element of remote work in general, that is actually shocking the way you don't know that people are pregnant.
Speaker 1: Had no clue. Are you supposed to know about your therapist's life. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean I think different people have like different relationships with it. I've talked to people who like really seem to know, like, oh yeah, my like therapist went on vacation to here and like, you know, she recommended this hotel or whatever. But like my therapist is like kind of although I will say and I can't, man, I don't want to.
Speaker 3: I'm not I don't want to put too much of her business out here.
Speaker 4: But like one time, my therapist was just like, yeah, like I was just I was telling her about some feelings that I was having about like something, and she was like, she goes, yeah, you know, I understand the way that that kind of thinking. Look, I was basically talking about like being around like really rich people for the first time and like just not really knowing how to acclimate to that. And she was like, yeah, I know what you're talking about. She goes, my husband's family founded.
Speaker 2: Uh, that's so fun.
Speaker 1: That is really amazing. Found it. That's right, damn.
Speaker 2: But also obviously like, yes, she's relating to you, Yes, but it is different to marry into like you're talking about, feeling like an outsider in a situation where people have more money than you. That's different than marrying into that generational wealth. It's like she actually now is a rich woman.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it is like.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, but why work.
Speaker 4: I I mean, I think she just like I mean, because it's like you don't want to just sit in you don't want to just say you.
Speaker 1: Don't want to you don't want to be you guys have it.
Speaker 2: You would not stop working if you married the.
Speaker 1: No, that's true, but my work would be so much more glamorous.
Speaker 3: What do you think your work would look like in that, Well.
Speaker 1: It would be like like I would like still do like comedy, but it would be like I wouldn't ever like I wouldn't ever need to be successful in this way. That would be like I'm throwing the big event at like the.
Speaker 2: Thing, Oh, I would only be doing Joe's pub. I would be like I don't need to appeal to anyone outside of Manhattan.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It would allow you to be your freest self.
Speaker 4: Yeah, creatively really like it doesn't matter kind of It's like it's like being like a rich woman who starts like a lotion line exactly.
Speaker 1: That was really beautiful the way that the nunciation.
Speaker 2: You would embrace having a boutique rather than having a what's it called when someone's like franchise rather than having a friend.
Speaker 1: I mean the short films I put out, yes, short truly would.
Speaker 4: Be like baby I need twenty five thousand because I got a story to tell.
Speaker 2: Short films off and off Broadway around. You would fund yourself easily six weeks. I would quite frankly fund the art. The Lincoln Center would be renamed the George Center. Let's just say that.
Speaker 3: Okay, so you're marrying like a Rockefeller.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: You're right, that's the same You're right, that's the same type of Maybe. I just I think I can't even quantify what that means. Yeah, in a family like that.
Speaker 1: I love that because it's like a joke that I feel like I used to make all the time, be like and you know my father, the you know, CEO of BP, And it's like, no, that is someone. It's someone real that exists for someone and he's married to someone.
Speaker 2: Wow, you know what I remember? I went to middle school with this girl. I guess. I won't say what the company was. I'll say it in a little bleep it so, but should we bleep mine too? I'm like, so, but here's the thing saw that that was her last name. I was like, Oh, this girl is probably so rich. And I was operating under that assumption the entire time. Later on, many years later, I did a google. It turns out her side of the family somehow was like not the part that got the money. So this entire time I was treating her like the spoiled rich girl. She was like fighting for her life and is now like a struggling And the entire time I was like, shut up, bitch, Like why are you speaking up in class? Like you do not relate to that character in that novel. No one cares that you have to say. And in fact, it's actually even worse, I think, to have had access to wealth and then lost it because you like know what you're missing.
Speaker 3: You've seen that other side. Damn Jesus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's actually the plot of Shit's Creak, my favorite television series.
Speaker 1: Okay, back to my original question, Yes, how much humor is allowed in vows?
Speaker 2: I'm like, go, I think I think it's not about how much.
Speaker 1: Yours was like you went full sincere.
Speaker 2: I had some laughing. Wow, I had laughs.
Speaker 4: Sam was like, Yeah, the thing about you is that you didn't even feel the need to be funny, not even a little bit.
Speaker 1: I think it's not gonna drop.
Speaker 2: What sounds referring to is that it ended on sincerity rather than ending on a punchline that I tried to have like, yeah, but I think my general answer to you would be basically, there has to be at least a moment of genuine sincerity, and then around that you can have as much humor as possible. But what you can do is not have any sincerity, of.
Speaker 1: Course, because I want some sincerities like but I am worried about it coming off as like and that's when I knew I was gay. Like I'm worried about like landing in cliches as you were talking about in a way that I'm scared of.
Speaker 4: I feel I have weddings a really fine time to land in cliches.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think that's I think. Yeah, I think there's not gonna reinvent the wheel, you know what I mean. I think there's only so many ways to tell someone that you love them.
Speaker 2: I agree with you. But the thing is, like there's some cliches that are so unforgivable, you know what I mean, Like some so that I don't say them my person, like anything about love at first sight, like anything about like I'm trying to think, like, oh, you know.
Speaker 3: You have taste, You're not gonna let you're not gonna land.
Speaker 2: Just yeah, you're not gonna it's because it doesn't Cliche doesn't come naturally to your Other people have to fight cliche, Like you don't have to fight cliche. I think that's the I think that for many people, that's the instinct just to go to cliches. So then you have to train yourself out of it. But I think that's not gonna be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well we're gonna find it, you know. Tonight, I'm really gonna hunker down and get to write, and I'm excited. Yeah, it's gonna be something. It's gonna be something.
Speaker 2: I I think one way to maybe avoid cliche, and I think I tried to do this when I did mine is like there's an instinct to think about the past, because it's like you have this instinct to be like, how did we meet and did I know when? What were the best moments in our relationship? And there should obviously be some of that, but it actually is much more interesting to talk about like how you envision the future interesting, And I think that there are less there are fewer cliches. I mean unless you literally go like till death to us part, I think there are fewer cliches when you're like imagining the future than there are when you're like on our first date when you ordered the ball and Z I knew you were the one for me.
Speaker 3: Sure, sure, for sure, definitely don't say it like that. Well that's suddenly, don't.
Speaker 1: When I'm imagining speaking, all I can hear is like fake voice. It's being like, Misha, you are random.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite cliches is remind me what your middle what's your middle?
Speaker 1: N Thompson.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite cliches is okay, get ready, this is me doing my vast Samuel Thompson Taggart starting with the full name yes is so funny. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, Because it's one of those things that you are doing it almost to imply intimacy, and yet you are calling someone by their legal name. It is distancing. It's so crazy, you know what.
Speaker 1: I Actually the biggest cliche that I find is being like and someone who will always split an omelet with me three in the morning, like that type.
Speaker 2: Of thing, like I promise to always water the plants, but not over water.
Speaker 1: That's it, that's true. Well that's not.
Speaker 2: But but the thing is you will have to do one specific thing like that. That's like the entire joke is the specificity of it, Like I'll.
Speaker 4: Always eat the rice if you eat the beet exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's that neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a way in which at some point everything starts feeling like a cliche. And then and you will get to that point. I'm sorry to tell you you will. At some point you will pass it, but you will get to that point where like, oh no, everything I'm thinking sounds like it's from a rom com.
Speaker 1: How did you? How long did it take for you?
Speaker 2: I think you you have like initial writer's block and then it sort of will pour out of you. Okay, because and I actually think you should do it or I did it like almost free writing style where I was like it was almost like one run on sentence because it is like a spoken thing, like I don't you know, it doesn't have to be like a five paragraph essay, right, right, But I have faith in conclusion. In conclusion.
Speaker 4: Wait, can I ask you who who was officiate? Is there a comedian officiating?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yes, maybe the number one comedian?
Speaker 1: Interesting? Interesting because he was there the night we were we met. I was at the Metropolitan Gay Bar with Julio. When I met me.
Speaker 3: The Metropolitan gay Bar.
Speaker 2: I actually told my sister. She was like, where sounds Minny. I was like Metropolitan, And we had this entire conversation that I realized she thought it was at the met Museum. She was like, that is so cool. Like, how do.
Speaker 1: I will say on the invites? Mesha put like metropology Infrinsley's gay Bar, and I was like, why did you put it?
Speaker 2: Though I thought about someone coming from out of town.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I don't even think about that.
Speaker 4: I just went to a comedian wedding that was also officiated by a comedian. I went to my buddy Andrew Dismukes got married to his longtime girlfriend Ali. Yeah, you guys know Ali. You guys know Andrew and Ally who officiated it was a guy. He's an Austin comedian. We all came up in Austin together years ago and he is this guy named Mason, and he did he It was really funny. I will say he was killing, but he did do longer than both of them.
Speaker 3: Mason did a smooth fifteen.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 3: He talked for a long long time in a way that I.
Speaker 4: Was like, Mason, maybe you'll hear this, but it's like, I'll say this if we talk in real life. Like he was like referencing like this like sketch series that her and Ally did in like twenty twelve, and like was really going into like I had this vision for sketches and she thought about characters in this kind of wayly fun and like really was like diving it. But I will say getting laughs the entire time, Yeah, that's good. But I will say I've never seen anyone do like it felt like watching someone do actually do stand up at a wedding in a way that I'm curious to see what Julio's gonna gonna bring to it.
Speaker 1: I'm curious to see what well.
Speaker 2: I ran into Julio a couple of days ago and I was like, you know, have sometimes you have a conversation with Julia and you leave with more questions than answers, So of course I was like, I was like, so, like, are you excited to officiate? And Juli was like, oh, yeah, I guess I should do the online thing. I was like, yeah, definitely, get definitely do that, but then also like are you excited for the actual officiation, And then he was like yeah, blah blah, and I was like, I was like, do you want I mean, this is so stupid, but I was like, you know, I officiated a wedding once. If you want me to send my thing? Like, if you't just like structuralize me. Was like that's okay, and I was like, got it. And then I was like, you know, the hardest part is, you know, knowing that your audience is half like your friends and then half family that maybe doesn't you know, share your sense of humors here a sensibility, and Hula was just like, oh, I hadn't even thought about it. What are we talking about here?
Speaker 3: Ulio starts pulling a bunch of.
Speaker 2: You haven't thought about that? That's the number one thing. The number one thing with officiating, especially if you're like in our community, is like you have to appeal to both like aunt Mary yep and you know. Amy Zimmer I thought it.
Speaker 1: Was so funny. We talked on the phone this weekend and he was like, first of all, I've written nothing, and I was like, no, that's okay. He's like, no, literally nothing, and I was like that's okay.
Speaker 2: Well the other thing, you know, he is going to be really good. Yeah, yeah, but you almost don't want to peek into his process because it's like you don't want to know what method goes into the madness. Anyway, Well, it's going to be interesting, it's going to be great.
Speaker 3: I'm excited to make sure. I forget who I was talking to.
Speaker 4: Somebody who lives in LA who's flying out of here for it, and I forget who it was. That's not interesting anyway.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, bra Met Yeah, is she really good? No?
Speaker 1: I could see a world in which all cross paths in this.
Speaker 2: I would love it if she showed up. She's like harried, like late at coming out of an uber. Sorry, guys, Jesus, keep going, keep going. Sorry, I just fleming from Tel Aviv.
Speaker 4: Okay, Oh she's doing that, oh big time. Oh I see I didn't.
Speaker 2: Do our first segment.
Speaker 1: Let's do our first segment, Devin. Our first segment is called straight Shooters, and in this segment, we're going to ask you a series of rapifier questions to gage your familiarity with and complicity in a straight culture. It's basically this thing or this other thing. And the only rule is you can't ask any follo up questions or we'll scream at you not that you need to be reminded, George.
Speaker 2: Kickassow the Big Bang or the one and only Bowen Yang and Yang, protecting.
Speaker 1: Your data or forgetting your true Veda.
Speaker 2: Forgetting your true beda. Oh wow, I don't know what that means. You shouldn't have said you don't know what it means. Does the carpet match the drapes? Or going to the market to buy some grapes?
Speaker 3: Going to the market to buy some grapes.
Speaker 1: Okay, this one's tough because it actually needs voice work that. I don't think I'm qualified to do this. It's just like my ears still unpopped from the flight yesterday, So like I'm not working with like the full register f K twigs or South Park teacher voice. Okay, I can't do it.
Speaker 2: I want to kill You're doing a great job.
Speaker 1: I can't do it, George, I can't do it. I can't do it. George.
Speaker 3: You want to you want to give it?
Speaker 2: What work?
Speaker 1: Guys. I need to listen to it, Guys, I just have to listen to it, if anyone could. Okay, here's what's gonna happen. Here's what I'm gonna say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll put it in f K Twigs or good kids, and then you put it in a.
Speaker 1: Post because this is but say what it is? Okay, kids?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: And I wrote this on the train, thinking, you know, when the cameras are on, maybe something you'll find it. And then I said, I've never found something when the cameras are on. If I can't find it secretly in private, I can't find it when the cameras are on.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, you do have to choose.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go K Twigs.
Speaker 2: Wow, the coward's choice. You didn't want to do that, K kids, I really didn't. Okay.
Speaker 1: I didn't really grow up watching south Park.
Speaker 2: This is the second This is the second time we talked. I also didn't grow up watching south Park. Okay. And I did denim on denim or bend it like Beckham.
Speaker 1: Okay, this one's really hard. J Street metro tech or Old King WinCE Sloss.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's good.
Speaker 1: I've got to go Jay Street.
Speaker 2: Real politic or fake plastic trees.
Speaker 1: Real politic? Okay, Ranked choice voting or staying face emoting stank face emoting?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: Is fake plastic trees? Radiohead?
Speaker 1: Honey, you're the one that wrote it.
Speaker 2: It's one.
Speaker 1: Do you not? Is it not? No?
Speaker 3: That was never mind. I guess I'm not supposed to say, but I was. Yeah, go ahead, is.
Speaker 2: That not a recognizable I think it's Radiohead, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: Okay, now you're it sounds like none of us is me and you're a straight shooter.
Speaker 1: To me.
Speaker 2: You know when something is just like you know the I've known that phrase since I was like twelve, and it's because it's an album title.
Speaker 1: I mean, what do you google it? Right? The se No?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, okay, we have to rank Devin's performance on a scale of zero to one thousand doves.
Speaker 1: Here's what I will say.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think we were really experimenting, definitely. I mean I don't even know what half the things that Okay, cool.
Speaker 3: I'm glad we're in the same boat because we felt.
Speaker 1: So comfortable with you being here. Yes, that's right, and we just knew that you'd crush it. So I'm gonna go ahead and say that you get what you were an amazing recipient of our fucking bullshit.
Speaker 2: No, that's interesting. I actually disagree, have to disagree. I actually think you know, Devin, you're sitting there sort of like cool, guy, there's like a sort of cool guy energy. You're kind of like looking at us, like, what the hell are these guys talking about? Like even when Sam did the South Park thing, you're not you know, you're not showing the vulnerability of attempting to say k kids. You're sort of just like removed. You're being removed. Yeah, and and and then it makes us feel exposed and naked.
Speaker 1: I see wow.
Speaker 2: And so I would say, however, I think you did pretty good. So I think I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: He deserves to be rewarded for playing and winning a power game? Did he? Oh? I see?
Speaker 2: Okay? Right right, so you humulate us on our own show, and that is when it is okay. So I guess I would say, I would say it's a solid eight seventy.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And that's my final answer. So the average of that is around is nine thirty something like that. Yeah, sure, I'm happy with that. So that's pretty good. That's an as that's high a minus. Actually better than I did in school normally. I don't believe that. Were you not a good student.
Speaker 3: I was a decent I just I didn't care that much.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you guys related, well, I Tay, I take you for being a really good student.
Speaker 3: You do seem like you made really good grades. Sam, I was a good student.
Speaker 2: Sam was a good student.
Speaker 3: I could see. I see it for you guys.
Speaker 2: You remember one time we can take this out if it's easy to identify the person. One time Sam found out someone we know got seas in high school. And Sam was literally like, I mean, can you imagine getting seasons?
Speaker 1: Okay school, but it's like someone who's like whole thing is like super silly and goofy. And so when I found out that got season high school, I was like, oh, you're not like you're not coming with the form.
Speaker 2: You're like you're just dumb.
Speaker 1: You're just kind of a dumb person.
Speaker 2: No, this was I I remember that because and it really like brought this person down in your estimation, because correct me, because you were like because Sam thought, this is like this person's like Andy Kaufman esque, like so smart that he's like kind of his silliness and his whimsical humor is like making fun of the human condition. And then after Sam found out that this person got season high school, I was like, oh, wait, so you're just kind of like a dufis well, but.
Speaker 4: To be fair, I bet you Andy Kaufman got seasoned high school as well.
Speaker 2: So this is interesting, right. So there's two ways you can get season in high school. Either you're like not made for the American educational system and you're like such a genius that you get sees happens, or you're literally like smoking weed yeah, or you just like.
Speaker 1: I don't know that I got no.
Speaker 4: I think I probably got to see in uh calculus, I probably that was That was never the life for me, But I will say with me in high school, I was pretty much I was like a mid be to like a low a student. But it was genuinely like I don't know if y'all well, y'all clearly didn't feel this way, but Junia was like I think I'm gonna be okay one way or another. I always I really just had a belief that I was like, I don't know that. I'm like, I'm not made for academia. I can make it through school. I like got through grad school, like I was like I can do all this stuff. But I was like, I just don't think that any of what I'm learning right now is like I don't I don't think it's gonna like.
Speaker 3: Really influence where I go. I felt the way once I was in college.
Speaker 1: Sure, in high school, I was like, the pressure's on, like you gotta get good grades to get into college whatever.
Speaker 3: I wish I was like that.
Speaker 1: But once I was in college, I was like, this is all a victory lab. Yeah, this was like what.
Speaker 2: Are we doing. I would even say, I'll.
Speaker 1: Learn enough of it.
Speaker 3: I just took my grade.
Speaker 1: I was. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was just like, I'm not going to stress myself. I was like, I'll I'll do fine in life somehow.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I would even say I was at the best. I was at my best and most hard working and probably like legitimately sixth grade. And then after that, it's almost like you want to see how little you can do while maintaining the status of a good student. Like I was like, oh, okay, so if I study a half hour less, I'm basically still getting an A or mine is like, and how how what is the equation where I can still basically have the reputation of being smart, the reputation of being a good student without going above him. And I would say I'm still doing that today, bless.
Speaker 1: Oh you're good at it. We always know. That's the difference is that he can perform like the intelligence like spot On, Like if asked to give a presentation about a topic doesn't know right now, he could do it and like I have to like sit with it for a while.
Speaker 2: I can. Here's what I can do. I can.
Speaker 4: Actually, that's how we got into the Comedy Central program.
Speaker 3: Literally it's for people like us.
Speaker 2: I would say I can successfully bullshit the personality of someone who doesn't bullshit. I mean that, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: I mean, that's maybe one of the greatest gift, Yeah, anyone could be given.
Speaker 2: Like I can actually go enter a room and my entire performance is out of someone who's like, let's cut the crap here, but I'm unprepared and don't know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: That's incredible because I also, I think I'm pretty good at bullshitting. But I think I do think that people people see people would be like, oh, he's bullshitting. But I do think that I can like charm my way into them being like oh, but it's it's kind of sweet that he's like bullshading his way through this. But you're actually like you can act as if you really knew what we were talking.
Speaker 2: About my best you know, not always, but I do think when I'm really focused, I can.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I think I think you can.
Speaker 2: Thinks that's like some like catch me if you can shit. Yeah, well, but it's like never with things that matter, like sure, because I actually when I'm in the presence of someone who legitimately has more power than me, I crack under the pressure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It takes me like a long time of being like above someone, yeah intellectually to be like, oh I love you intellectually, Like it takes me like six months because then I'm like, because I'm like, what if what if the last three month was a fluke, like and they're actually still better?
Speaker 3: They catch up to me?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Should we get into our topic?
Speaker 1: I think we should, Devin, what topic have you brought for us today?
Speaker 4: The topic that I brought today was fantasy sports. That's my straight topic. Fantasy sports.
Speaker 3: Yes, one of the straightest things in the world to me.
Speaker 2: It is it is It's like sometimes there are these topics that are so straight that I almost don't know what to say about them because it's so self evident that it's like the like the only people who would play fantasy sports are a very specific kind of I would say, physically abusive.
Speaker 1: Well, I want you to fill us in on like your your history with fantasy sports.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I grew up in Texas. I went to the high school where they shot Friday Night Lights. And so it's like the TV show, not the movie. Okay, you did you ever see the TV show?
Speaker 2: You know? I didn't, But I know about coach Taylor. Taylor, and I know Connie Britton.
Speaker 4: Right, masterful performance. Yeah, beautiful exhibit of lovel on television.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is really nice, and I know that it means a lot to a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I tried to watch it once.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it just didn't click, didn't resonate with you.
Speaker 2: No, here's what I say about Friday Night Lights. Something extremely foreign to me as someone who doesn't have American parents is the idea that high school sports matter like it is so. And I'm not saying that in a I'm better than that way or anything like. Legitimately, it's like a cultural thing I don't get, Like, I cannot imagine my parents watching me play a sport in high school and being like this, he'd better do well here who it just because it was so much about academics and everything else was a distraction. I don't even think they knew that the college system, for example, rewarded athletics. Like I don't think they knew that I could have gotten a scholarship, let's say, if I was good at a sport. I just don't think that was like in their world, and so it just was something that was so foreign to me. I can remember when we lived in America, I was like on the swim team. I was not very good, and they would like come to the meets and other parents would be like trembling, like writing down their kids' stats, and my parents would just be fully reading a magazine like not, this is just like some little stuff. It's like a favor they're doing for me. So that is why I have never been able to like get on board with the college or high school sports. Movie. But you grew up in Texas, You went to the high school from Friday night lights.
Speaker 4: I did so all that to say, like I really grew up like seeped in Yeah, some of the straightest culture that's available to us, and I played high school football, and so like I think I just was setting myself on a path.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that I wanted to be an artist.
Speaker 4: I didn't know I wanted to be a creative and not because like it was something that was told to me was like inaccessible. It genuinely just like didn't occur to me because no one that I was around did that at all, and so like I was kind of just on a I was kind of just like, all right, I guess I'll like go to college and then just like get a cubicle job, and like that's what I did.
Speaker 1: Graduated from college.
Speaker 4: I like got this like job in the sale like generating leads for a sales department, and that was my first experience like doing fantasy football, and somehow I ended up in like six different fantasy football leagues when I was like working at this sales office.
Speaker 2: And so were they with your colleagues?
Speaker 3: They were with like colleagues.
Speaker 4: And then by that point, I no, I hadn't even started comedy yet, So yeah, I guess it just would have been like guys I went to high school in college with and then like in Austin in or like I went to college right outside of Austin, like probably like forty minutes outside of town. And yeah, My first job was at the sales place, which was in Austin, and yeah, I just was playing. I would be on like four different fantasy football teams, which is like genuinely something that you have to like, It's a thing you have to adjust all the time because like guys are constantly like you have to account for injuries and so like if if a guy gets hurt playing football, which happens in the real world, in the real world, huh do you guys? How what is your familiarity with phantasy?
Speaker 1: Relatively?
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean it has been explained to me, both by guests on this podcast and by people in my real life, because.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of assuming that you're coming in with knowledge, but that might well.
Speaker 1: Players from any team, so there are but but you are part of when you're in a fantasy league.
Speaker 2: Yes, how many people are in the entire fantasy league depends, okay that that can vary. And you're making your own team. You're not like in charge of the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: You're not in charge of the Cowboys. You are just you are drafting individual players. Okay, you're in charge of the Georgi's I see, yes exactly, or it could literally yes, if they were doing comedians, they could be like it could be every comedian in New York City and it could be like, all right, there's literally like guys whose job it is to like do fantasy projections for like who's supposed to score the most points based on what they did last year? And the points are like, you know, be like how many touchdowns they catch? Every touchdowns worth this many points every time they like like catch a pass that's worth a certain amount.
Speaker 2: Of But then explain to me how the real world relates to the fantasyeries.
Speaker 1: It's what happens in the game. It happens in your fantasy.
Speaker 2: Even though the even though the people playing are in a different team.
Speaker 3: Well, but you can draft players from any team, yes, in the.
Speaker 4: Entire so it's like, yeah, you could get this guy from the Cowboys, this guy from the Giants, this guy from the Jets, and that constitutes your team, and their performance adds up to points, which is how you win the game.
Speaker 1: Like if you die in the game, you die in real life.
Speaker 2: No, no, totally, but I guess my question is more like, let's say one of your players in the real world, yes, wins against one of your other players.
Speaker 4: It doesn't matter. Wins and losses don't really matter. It's only statistics. Oh, it's only like rushing yards, passing yards, you know for basketball, three point shots made, like total points rebounds, like only counting statistics go towards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the actual wins and losses don't matter at all.
Speaker 2: So it's like fan fiction. Yeah, interesting, because it is. It's like Draco and Harry fucking is the same. You're having the characters.
Speaker 3: This is this is way cooler.
Speaker 1: Well, no, because because it's because it is.
Speaker 4: Like based on it's not fiction, like it is based on like the actual.
Speaker 2: No, no, totally. But then but then the teams are fiction, yes, industry, it's like the.
Speaker 3: Teams are all made up, the teams are all created.
Speaker 1: I hear what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Here's I think characters are real in the same way that Harry Potter is real.
Speaker 1: But I think that's where we isn't Harry Potter's not, No, Devin, He's real. It's like confusing because you're just picking people to monitor their stats, and like, I don't see the joy and.
Speaker 3: I would agree with you.
Speaker 1: I would.
Speaker 2: This is my big question. I'm like, where does the creativity, Where does the narrative. Where does the narrative come in?
Speaker 4: I don't know that it exists, because that's why it's such a straight activity. Yes, there's no story, there's no whimsy. It is all like it's just numbers and like facts.
Speaker 1: There is no.
Speaker 4: The only and it's also like yeah you're yeah, it doesn't exist.
Speaker 2: It's also gambling like it is. It is literally like.
Speaker 3: This ties into gambling very very closely.
Speaker 2: It is tracking what has already happened and then guessing based on that what could happen.
Speaker 1: Yes, I have something to ask, go ahead, gambling related. Do you know any gay guys who are like addicted to gambling?
Speaker 2: Okay, this is a really question, a really good.
Speaker 1: Question, because I've never met a single gay guy who's like, I actually had a gambling addiction, whereas like in the straight community, it's like seems relatively normal.
Speaker 3: I've seen people like run into real issues.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, where I like, especially now that it's like now that you can just do it on your phone and now that it's like I know several people who I've seen like get seriously addicted to gambling.
Speaker 1: That's wild. Quite a few comedians actually, really, oh, this is very common. I was.
Speaker 4: I won't say his name, but I went to a World Series game with someone that I'm a friend I'm friends with, and he was betting on balls and strikes.
Speaker 3: He was literally betting like.
Speaker 4: Pitch by pitch, I think this pitch will be a ball of this picture like real like crackhead behavior. It's really it's really concerning. I know a lot of guys who are addicted to gambling. That's big into straight cold Damn, that's something we could have talked.
Speaker 2: No, that's like I'm a rewards gambling and this is really like I'm trying to think, like what I'm trying to think, just thinking just in broad stereotypes, what kind of gay guy would get into gambling?
Speaker 1: I and I really really because like I remember like going to a casino for the first time and being like, okay, like maybe this will hit. Like I remember when I had my first two beers. I was like, oh this is clicking. I see my people lose their lives to this.
Speaker 2: Like I'm all in, Okay, well, I here's what I'm picturing.
Speaker 1: The I was like, I feel nothing.
Speaker 2: I'm so bored.
Speaker 1: I need to get out of here.
Speaker 2: Here's what I'm picturing. Gay guy. Uh, really intense facelift, really intense hairline, hair plugs, kind of a leather blazer in a casino. He's doing just the slots, the slots, sure, and he's drinking a you know, bourbon Manhattan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see that.
Speaker 3: You think this is this is Southern man.
Speaker 2: I would say Southern. Yeah, I was at saying New Orleans, but that's not quite it. I could see him being Southern. I could also see it being more of a what's the New Jersey? Oh my god, what's in New Jersey? Atlantic City? More of an Atlantic City type, someone from like a smaller town in New Jersey or Pennsylvania or something like that. Really, he's like the the one gig guy in the town, and then his.
Speaker 3: In the town in the way that I'm imagining it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly exactly. And he's always wearing a fun shirt, yes, fun floral shirt. But then his terry solo weekend is like going to Atlantic City and hitting the slots.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've clated a picture on picture.
Speaker 1: I mean, you've definitely made a narrative. But I'm still unclear on whether he's realm hmm.
Speaker 2: Like we've I've never known him, like Harry suddenly on his side, Like.
Speaker 4: I'm just like I could I could see this made existing, but like, yeah, I've never come across him in my I've never seen him in my world.
Speaker 1: I think like he needs his own a twenty four movie, Like I think this really could well, it's very.
Speaker 2: Calling Baker a gay guy with a with a leather a burgundy leather blazer.
Speaker 1: Actually not a twenty four Neon. Oh it needs to be gone.
Speaker 3: Let's go ahead and get it on.
Speaker 2: One of the running jokes in this pod that no one cares about us being like, no, that's not a twenty four that's me.
Speaker 1: That's very funny.
Speaker 4: Have you have you have you created a delineation as to what well, I just think people people use. First of all, I just want to say it to all our ends antwenty four. We support you and we literally love your work project and we would love to be part of your work. But I think it started when you know, our friend Theta's movie Stress Positions was Neon, and Neon has also won the Palm Door of the last like eight years, so it sort of is the course was that a Town was a was a Titan movie? Me and my girlfriend? That is one of our favorite things to Oh my god, you and this is the Comedy Central Creators.
Speaker 2: That was like, that was that was art school for commed Comedy Central Creators program.
Speaker 1: Oh God, so.
Speaker 2: You said something very interesting when we were off Mike, which is at some point you had the realization that you don't have to participate in fantasy sports.
Speaker 4: It was really like it was like it was like God spoke to me. It was truly. I was because I at this point I had moved on, I was at a different job. I was truly in maybe three different fantasy football leagues, and I was like it was taking up so much of my time where it's like, again, like these guys are getting injured all the time. If a guy gets injured and you don't replace him on your team, then that's just zero points, like the afters once his team plays, if you've missed inserting him or like removing him from your lineup, that's all of you're losing all those points.
Speaker 1: So I was stuff like that was happening to me.
Speaker 4: I was having to keep up with like different blogs and be like, Oh, this guy's injured. Oh I need to pick up this other wide receiver from this team. Oh, I got to try to orches straight to trade. There's so many different levers that I was pulling that. Like genuinely, I was like in the bathroom, like pissed off about the fact that I was I was also losing. I was losing all the time, and I was thinking about it constantly. And one day I was like, Oh, what if I just didn't do this? And I really can't stress enough how straight of a culture that I like grew up with that Like it seemed really novel to me that I like didn't have to participate. And ever since then, that was probably twenty sixteen or something when.
Speaker 2: Trump was elected.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when Trump was that was a turning point. I watched I watched an episode of a Chef's Chef's Table. I watched an episode of Chef's Table about Kwame, the Tatiana guy, and who, like, I know, shout out to Kwame if you're okay, brag whatever, But like it was basically he was talking about like he was selling drugs and he basically saw the way that the story is told is he was selling drugs and he saw Barack Obama get elected and he was like, I'm putting this ship behind me.
Speaker 3: It's time to go buy some cilantro.
Speaker 2: Like that was you with Trump and that was that was me with.
Speaker 3: Trump and fantasy.
Speaker 4: I saw him get elected and I said, I need to distance myself from this type of culture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, do you feel a sort of an ostracization after being.
Speaker 4: Not at all, especially not since moving to New York City? All my like New York City, even my like New York City straight friends are always like watching like art house Japanese films, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So it's like, I know, yeah, they should.
Speaker 2: Do letterbox fantasy football where you're like collecting directors and you know, little known character actors from the eighties.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, that's probably coming, you know what. It's like, someone's probably trying to configure something like that right now.
Speaker 1: But the armists just kind of injured.
Speaker 4: If she gets hurt, if she gets hurt in the movie, then she gets Yeah.
Speaker 2: Honestly, it might be something even darker, which is like sort of like straight guys that like listen to the Town podcast and read Hollywood Reporter and like read Variety doing fantasy football but for studios, and they're.
Speaker 1: Like literally what like agents and managers do for there it's true clients genuinely damn. They just get like real money when it works out, when it hits.
Speaker 2: I do think what you're saying about, like compulsory participation is a big part of straight culture, and I actually think that's something that is very alienating if you are like growing up and you feel different. It's like the idea that I could leave the soccer team is so it's like such a statement. It's basically like saying I am gay, and it's like, I guess what it is is not doing something feels like more of a statement than doing it, when in fact it should be the other way around. It should everything should be opt in.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think on like it's sometimes it's easier to just be gay because you're like I'm not doing that because I'm gay, Like where you're like one hundred percent agree. Oh god. I when I was a mover, the guys I would work with would get so like there was one air in particular who was like I watched this movie go from like cheery one.
Speaker 2: Hundred percent disagree. Sorry, I'm holding for anyone watching, I'm holding a.
Speaker 1: Hard h I watched this I watched this man's mood change like from happy to sad based on fantasy football all over.
Speaker 3: That's what this is what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: And he was like and not like oh I'm sad, like don't but don't worry about me, like like I'm gonna jump in around of a car like he was like snap, he was like snipping at us.
Speaker 2: He was that's the gambling of it all like that, because that is gambler behavior.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there is money.
Speaker 4: There's usually there's a pot at the end, like everybody like collects on whatever. Usually it's like I don't know, a thousand bucks or something like that.
Speaker 1: But it's not nothing. It's not nothing. It's not nothing.
Speaker 4: But like, yeah, there really was such a culture of like this is just what every single man around you was doing that Like once, I've I've never felt more free than when I decided to stop doing it. And still to this day, every year people still tell they're like, hey, man, we got an extra spot in the league.
Speaker 1: Would you like no, Yeah, no, I wouldn't keep that away from me. Not while Angelica is open.
Speaker 4: Exact, I gotta go watch Titan, I gotta go watch an afternoon show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's in thirty five millimeters, it's in.
Speaker 2: Thirty five millimeare it's just you? And like reach out?
Speaker 1: If you ever hear of metrograph closing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, have you ever quit something way after you wanted to? Like, have you ever quit something and have such and had such a sense of relief? I'm trying to think I have one, you have one?
Speaker 1: Go ahead.
Speaker 2: This is when I was like a kid. It was just like compulsory that you have to like play an instrument, and of course what I if I had had it my way, I would have played a cool instrument like guitar, but that was just like not part of the narrative that I was part of. So what did you play? And so I had to play like piano? But I didn't practice literally at all, And so I would have to just once a week go into this room at this like dingy music school and be berated by this guy with a mustache that was like so once again you're not practicing. And I just did that for literally like five years, and then at some point I was like I don't want to do this anymore. My friends like, oh great, like we don't want to pay for it.
Speaker 1: I had almost the opposite where like like I was on swim team since like five years old. Yeah, and I hated it. I was bad at it. I like, like just hated getting in the water, like it's hill.
Speaker 3: It's one of the big parts of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the water's always cold. I'm not the water's always cold, like your hair is fried, your skin is dry. Like I was like, this fucking sucks. And then when I was like fifteen, one day I was like, wait, I'm really good at swimming, Like now I like it. But it took ten years.
Speaker 3: Oh and uh so.
Speaker 1: I almost learned the opposite lesson of like, just.
Speaker 4: Don't stick for a decade, said, and then you'll like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now I'm like, god, those are my fondest memories. Yeah, fascinating. Yeah, it's weird.
Speaker 4: Hey, so if you don't like something right now and you're listening to this podcast, do it for a long time. Continue on that path for quite some time, and you'll find it.
Speaker 2: It's like us with the podcasting. Okay, do you feel like for me, the most compelling part about sports is like the personal stories of the athletes, Like I you know, one of the reasons I like tennis is because it's individual athletes and it's like I'm crying if Coco Goth is winning. Like that is different than feeling like an allegiance to the Yankees or something.
Speaker 1: But I feel like.
Speaker 2: What sort of joyless about fantasy football is just like everyone is just a collection of stats, Like would you ever when you're in a in a league? I guess my question is like, would you ever choose someone for non numbers reasons, like because you really like you think they have like an inspirational story even if they're not doing well.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, no, not an inspirational story alone. I feel like people do sometimes make decisions over there, like because of their allegiances. Okay, like that, like you know what if like I am a Yankees fan, I'm gonna take this one guy even if he's not the best guy, just because I want.
Speaker 3: A guy from the Yankees to be I think that happens.
Speaker 4: Ok, But it's not like, oh, this this man's doing really impressive work in the community.
Speaker 3: Or like like I don't know, yeah exactly what I like. I like the songs that.
Speaker 2: He makes fashion sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not. It's not that I wish it could be.
Speaker 2: But that's I think that's where the game is straight.
Speaker 1: Okay, theory based on this Yeah tennis okay, Yeah, football straight, incredibly, basketball bisexual. There's a lot of numbers and stats, but there's also a lot of personalities in there.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, yes.
Speaker 4: Yes, I also think that, Like I also think that football, but genuine legitimately because of the helmets, becomes so much more impersonal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, every other sport. It's like, yeah, you're just see that is such a good point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like so, and I think the the NFL just got it. Wow man, you know, you know, I I think that I moved to New York City and I think that I'm removed from this version of myself. And then I get on Mike and I start talking. I'm like that still still really in there. I guess I still do think about this stuff. But I feel like the NFL as an organization, is also trying to promote their league, whereas like the NBA is trying to promote like look at these guys of the week. The NFL is trying to be like, we just want you watching the games, and we want you caring about the teams. The NBA and certainly tennis is being like, look at our personalities, Yes, look at these like cool, Look at this guy, he's got all these cool pants that he wears.
Speaker 1: Look at it.
Speaker 3: Watch them walk down the runway, not the runway, the tunnel they've got, I mean the tunnel. Tunnel fashion is crazy.
Speaker 2: And with the w NBA too, now that they're getting how the girls are getting in one, the actuals are getting fits off. So here's a question where does baseball fit in? Because I also do feel like baseball is personality driven, but also.
Speaker 4: Baseball, football and similar buckets, similar both I would say, incredibly straight sports the guy. It's also like there's like a there's a flamboyance in basketball. There's like a like, you know what style, there's a style, there's like a flare that I don't think that I think is certainly not embraced in basketball or I'm sorry, in baseball or football.
Speaker 3: I think any guys that like have.
Speaker 4: Flair, they're trying to like turn that flare down, They're trying to like move away, especially in baseball. Baseball is maybe the straightest sport of them all.
Speaker 1: Baseball is a weird one and and and partially it is because of their thick, juicy asses where it's like, what is going on?
Speaker 2: Well, it's not just that, it's also.
Speaker 4: We've also never had a baseball player come out, not one, not, I mean I believe, not that I know.
Speaker 1: There's been.
Speaker 4: There's been a good handful of football players that have come out. There's been a couple of basketball players. Although I don't know these guys. I'm like, some of these guys, come just be yourself that play my brother in Christ, be yourself. Did you see that play about the gay baseball player? I did not see it, but you williams it. I with my mom full nudity.
Speaker 2: Right, not only full nudity, but someone told me that they like they all take my agra, you know, like I seen the picks.
Speaker 4: That pick.
Speaker 2: Sorry, that's just is not what a soft dick looks like.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: I mean it is like you don't want to be hard on stage. I'm telling you, it is crazy interesting. So my mom literally like when he when he withs it out, my mom like trying to me. I was like, I was like, please look ahead, please look ahead. But anyway, I bring it up just because I was trying to remember if that's based on a true story.
Speaker 3: Is it about a coming out story in baseball?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, that's what it is and it's like he in fact not a I think what happens is either he's out it or he comes out, and then it's about like the fallout from that. And the reason the nudity is like quote unquote necessary is because it's like, Okay, what's it like now in the locker rooms and all these guys know how he's it's how he sees it. I will say interesting, like meta texturally, it's interesting because the gay character has the big dick, Like you are seeing all of them and he has the biggest dick and and but it's unclear if that's something you should be like noticing or not.
Speaker 3: Also, do you think that was part of the casting decision?
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I don't know, you think he was like.
Speaker 2: No, but he's also the biggest star, like he's a TV star wars the other ones are actually anyway, whatever, I know, let's.
Speaker 1: Get into the like let's talk about who's.
Speaker 2: The most anyway. At my point, I I but yes, I agree that baseball. Baseball is very straight and to your point, it has all these gay elements, but they almost a juicy as is be The costuming is so like circusy well, and they're.
Speaker 1: All just like chill guys.
Speaker 2: And they're all chill guys. They're mostly like sitting around. Yeah, there's something very kind of swinging is very as much gayer than the mustache culture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, a lot of mustache is happening, George Off. Mike, you mentioned that sometimes you wish you could opt out of the obligatory drag race.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I actually, well, I was just trying to relate to you know, obviously it's being so different from us.
Speaker 1: Mike's are on, You're you don't believe this.
Speaker 2: Devin was saying, you know, he felt so liberated when he opted out of Fantasy sports. I was like, what are gay equivalents? Like, I think for many people, not for me, But let's say I was like a super roided out Jim Gay. I think for that person, maybe the equivalent would be like, oh my god, I could just not do this to my body. Like I could just wake up one day and like not be counting macros tracking macros where it's like counting tracking my macros all day long, Like I don't I don't need to like be you know, intermittent fasting. I could just literally like go with my body. Yeah, And I think for me, I was saying the equivalent of that. When drag race is bad, which currently I'm actually an okay place with it, I'm like, damn, I wish I could stop watching this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I I do something to dealing with drag race until I like, do you ever feel like when you meet a new straight guy, you are like, oh, I can't talk to you in the same way because when I'm when I meet like a gay guy, like just at random, I'm sort of like, well, at least I can talk to you about drag race.
Speaker 4: Well, here's what I'll say to that is like, I think I still do follow sports. I am just not participating in the fantasy element of them. And so like that is a shorthand that is like, that is a thing that I'm always really you could meet you can meet a man that you have nothing else in common with and that you don't even like, but you can at least be like so the Knicks, right, Yeah, and you can.
Speaker 2: Talk to them about Addison Ray. That's true.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 4: Wait, okay, and I'm sorry for how Addison Ray is she? Like, is she brand new? Is she one of those girls? From I because she really feels like she came from absolute nowhere. And I'm realizing now that I thought she was one of the Demilio sisters.
Speaker 1: She's close.
Speaker 3: She was one of those TikTok dance girls.
Speaker 4: She was a TikTok cool cool, Okay, So then I think I am in the right track with the way that I'm thinking about her.
Speaker 2: What happened is she was a TikTok dance girl. Meanwhile, keep in mind, she was like sixteen at the time, right, right, right, she was a TikTok dance girl, got way way big, super fast during the pandemic.
Speaker 3: Doing those doing dances no one's ever seen before.
Speaker 2: Jam just yes, exactly, like Jimmy Fallon had her on and she was like, okay, and this one.
Speaker 4: Is it's it's it is crazy because there are literally there's so many on the internet. You you find so many like uber talented dancers who are doing all this insane ship and the fact that it's just these like white girls going.
Speaker 2: Like that.
Speaker 1: Shit.
Speaker 4: I just if I was a real dancer, I can only imagine how that And then it's like these and now they're becoming our like next biggest pop stars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, god, bless, I haven't listened to music.
Speaker 2: Maybe the musu Well, she is a fourth Mexican, so maybe, Oh my.
Speaker 4: God, I didn't realize that I was tearing down a fellow personal foth Mexican.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I'd like to take that back.
Speaker 1: Where's my camera?
Speaker 4: I'm so sorry to my Latina queen. I would like to apologize for for for shaming you. I didn't realize that you were with the community.
Speaker 1: That's what she's been on a journey because she's a TikTok dance girl. Then she put off this EP that was like, had like one to two songs that you were like, wait a minute.
Speaker 2: One of them was produced by Charli XCX, like it was that.
Speaker 1: And so it's like, wait, is their taste here? What's going on? And it became like sort of an ironic okay, guys would put it on, and then the new songs, people are like hold on, yeah.
Speaker 4: Now it feels like it's transforming into people being like she's legitimately good.
Speaker 2: She's also working with it seems like she has good taste because she's choosing the right people to work with. Musically, she's going in a sort of like nineties Madonna, Janet, Shade direct everyone's doing, and she's doing am I I'm being pretty generous, but I would never.
Speaker 4: Like that's I mean, if she's got a little that in there, I'm I'll check out a track or two.
Speaker 3: It sounds like it's not really sounds like that's not right.
Speaker 2: She is, like I said, she's the last talented as shadday.
Speaker 4: That's that's such a specific one because it's like I've definitely seen girls in pop music who are doing Janet Jackson stuff, and there's so many people are doing Madonna stuff. I cannot okay, Shad is doing such a specific I've never.
Speaker 1: Heard anyone who I'm like they're doing.
Speaker 2: And and and in my defense, because people are gonna really come for me, yeah, you are yourself up. And Shade had this sort of more electronic like if you listen to Love Deluxe, it's more like electronic almost like Madonna Ray of Light type sound. That's more what I was referencing. She's not doing like smooth up right yeah anyway, So and then she's also visually working with a lot of like the very cool Fashionee interview magazine people, and so suddenly she goes from TikTok teen to you know Britney. Brittany does answer your question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so, I did.
Speaker 4: I did learn something because I do think I think the version of her that I was thinking about is not that far off from who she actually is. But it sounds like she's like just got a little more taste than yes, the rest of the like TikTok dance girl.
Speaker 2: I really think it's a similar narrative to Brittany. Like, I think she's both girl next door but also like has taste and works with the right people.
Speaker 1: She definitely knows who to work with, and that's the best thing you can have these days.
Speaker 2: Damn, you really brought a fan fantasy football in as your topic and we made you talk about Addison ray No, that was.
Speaker 1: Awesome, full circle. We kind of needed that. We like talked about sports for so long, Yeah, really needed.
Speaker 4: It was too much, And honestly, I had more fun talking about the pop girl than I did about cause because again, it's like it is, I'm straight and that is part of our culture, but it is an element that I hate.
Speaker 1: Really, Yeah, get that away from me.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you're a strayman, Please don't talk to me about that, don't talk about fantasy football teams. It's is it like that for you guys in drag Race? Does it occupy that same space where you're like or it's like enough of this, Okay.
Speaker 2: Something that annoys me is when people get overly into Oscars stuff. And I'm guilty of it. I'm not saying I'm not, but like when people when it's literally like we're currently what June, when it's June and someone is talking to you about who they think is going to be nominated for Best Actress based on like the blogs are reading about what's coming out of can and I like.
Speaker 4: About a movie that's not going to be available to the publican exactly for four months.
Speaker 2: Yeah, honestly, actually there's a pretty big similarity because they're talking about movies they literally haven't seen stats and it's just stats and it's you're talking. You're saying like, oh, this is gonna be Amy Adams's year, This is going to be Glenn Close's year, if only.
Speaker 3: For her performance for her Deliverance.
Speaker 2: For Deliverance, yes, was that?
Speaker 3: Is that what that movie was called?
Speaker 1: The horror movie?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I know where she like says the N word she.
Speaker 3: Doesn't, but she might as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, I thought that was the controversy. Does she I think she might?
Speaker 1: She might? She might? I did.
Speaker 3: I did watch the film. I'm like, did she say it?
Speaker 1: She certainly?
Speaker 3: Her essence feels like she. It feels like she would.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I didn't watch it, but the little clips that's online were pretty fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I do think that's my version of that.
Speaker 4: I totally get that, and that is I feel like I'm in that world as well. I don't want to I want to talk about what came out of the fucking film festival circuit.
Speaker 1: I'm sick of a film festival circuit. Yeah, Like it's like, just wake me up when I can see the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that's guess what. Like, I'm not part of that. I'm not at can. I think everyone there should have a great time, and they should at the after parties, they should be talking about what an amazing performance Julie Delpi gave. But I'm actually in Brooklyn doing freelance work.
Speaker 1: I've also been burned so many times where people are like, this is the greatest film I've ever seen. Eight months later I'm allowed to see it, and I'm like flop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, conversation. Oh we got a thirty minute standing over. That's that's what it's like. It's also like, no, it didn't know it. It's like nothing, I've never have you ever wanted to stand up and clap after? I mean maybe a handful of films have made you. And but then even when you feel like it's also period, its eye pressure. You're happens in New York theater. Now everything is getting a standing ovation, so you just know the part of the play being overs that you have to stand up even if.
Speaker 2: You hated it.
Speaker 1: Right well, it's like encores.
Speaker 2: It's like on course, oh you know what else?
Speaker 3: I don't care for that either.
Speaker 1: I don't care for it. I don't care for the encore.
Speaker 4: I'm like it because there's no true encorese if it's like if you want to part of set life, just do your whole fucking just just do to set and then leave. I don't like this fake and then we all gotta be like and then I come back the way you.
Speaker 2: Can literally look up the set list, you know what's coming and then the encore, and there is the same same ship.
Speaker 4: With the see it's all coming together because that's The straight culture version of that is like post credit scenes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, that's the and then people know to wait for them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's just like okay, so this it's not like a special treat. It's just like, well, this is just what you drew into the playbook.
Speaker 1: There used to be magic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, literally you can still.
Speaker 3: Find the magic at the AMC theaters. That's what I've heard.
Speaker 2: That's right by its kind of award when nic who went for the hours? So if you uh, the flip side of of stant in ovations is when you hear how many people walked out of something at a music as at a film festival like Tatan is a great example. Like I'm there were articles that are like the most walkouts of any film since two thousand and one, which.
Speaker 3: Even I bet you the director.
Speaker 4: I don't know who the director of Titan was, but I guarantee you that director would be.
Speaker 3: Like fair, Yeah, totally fair. The lady's fucking the car.
Speaker 2: I struggled with Titan, of course. Of course I'll be the first to say it.
Speaker 1: Even as the director was making it, they had to have been like, well, this, this can't be this is for some people. This is literally one of those movies. Everyone was like, this movie will change the way you think about cinema and people people you respect. Yes, you know what, people who.
Speaker 2: Like always sit together?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Max, I was like everyone was screaming at me about it, and I went and I was like, all right, yeah, like, yeah, I guess keep French people weird.
Speaker 4: Like which more call is? Also there's a French director to right the margaret quality and Demi Moore that's a French.
Speaker 1: Lady as well.
Speaker 2: Yes it is.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm not even gonna try it.
Speaker 1: That's sort of an m K situation. Should we do our final set? Wait?
Speaker 2: I do want you to promote?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Your podcast?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, of course, yes, I'm I've got a podcast. It's called My Favorite Lyrics. We come on and we genuinely just every guest brings a song and then we kind of do like a lyrical analysis of the song.
Speaker 3: That is such a good idea, make some little jokes about it.
Speaker 2: What if you were to be a guest on your own podcast today, what song would you bring in?
Speaker 3: I that's a great question.
Speaker 4: I know what artists I would probably want to talk about, and that is that's Big Sean.
Speaker 3: Okay, a big Sean of ass fame.
Speaker 2: We're familiar, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just think he did. I don't know how familiar you guys are with his discography.
Speaker 1: The hits.
Speaker 2: I know the hits, yeah, because they're like, we're the exact great age for.
Speaker 1: The hits to have been.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think he was.
Speaker 4: His early part of his career was all built off like doing like straight up like like set up punchline jokes or like set up punchline raps. So man, I wish I could, like I wish I was. I had more like at hand to like bring but like an example would be like I don't like the way that you sound headphones he was doing, which Nicki minajah, they were. They were very much peers. They were doing that kind of thing at the exact same time. And Nicki Minaj would also be I'd love to do a Nicky episode. She's got I mean, she's got some absolute class. Now you're not there, there it is, and that Yes, Big Sean was doing that exact same rep style, so I'd love to get into him and.
Speaker 1: Nick Ludacris started doing that for a second, and he had that one song where he's like blowing up balloon. Oh what song was that is that the Austin Bowers one or like there were like a few songs that were like really flop right.
Speaker 4: This was a style that Big Sean claims to have started. Really this is something that he claims to have popularized.
Speaker 2: And yeah, Nicki Minaj, I really with Nicki Mina because I love you know what my speaking of Ludacrous. My first ever song on my iPod was What's your Fantasy?
Speaker 1: Wow, there was just freaky little guy and I was like, well I had ten I probably probably.
Speaker 2: A little older, but I was like someone on my school bus was singing and I was like that is so funny, like Georgia Dome, like that is so you're that is so funny. And then I had to have it on my iPod and then I think I was buying legally at the time, so I was like, okay, I have one dollar, I'm buying that. And then there was like a full week where I just had that. So I had my iPod with me and I was only listening to about your Fantasy that song.
Speaker 1: Like as a child, I was like, no, this is really.
Speaker 2: Not oh, I have such a me like you thought it was too, like like this is you're such a goody two shoes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was a good boy. Whoa Was your family really Christian? No? They were just like they were like very not not classically waspy, not like Connecticut waspy, but they were like midwestern waspy.
Speaker 2: Like it was so chill, like your mom is so like.
Speaker 1: It comes like sex. Oh, it's really like, we.
Speaker 2: Don't like that. I have a memory of buying the Ludicrous album Chicken and Beer at sam Goode or whatever, and because it had a parental advisory thing, they had to call my mom in and she was like, I don't know who this artist is, Like what's the deal, Like why am I Why don't you need my permission? And the guy at the kind of was like, I mean I don't know. It's can't be that bad. It's about chicken and beer. And she was like, all right, then let me buy it.
Speaker 4: Nasty lyrics on there, and they really were Did your parents care about that kind of thing?
Speaker 1: Did they care about what you were?
Speaker 2: No? I mean personally with music, they did not care at all. I would say with film they did, Like if someone was rated are and I was like nine, I don't think they would let me.
Speaker 1: She cared about movies.
Speaker 3: Okay, mine where mine was? Both My parents really care about music.
Speaker 4: Again, Texas very Christian, very Christian, so like I couldn't have any they wouldn't buy many albums with parental advisory sticker, which is why the first album that I actually the first album that I wanted, I want to say was I want to say it was college dropout. Kanye West definitely had the sticker on there. So the first album that I actually received was Nick Cannon's self titled LP oh No, featuring the hit single Jigglo by you Guess featuring you Guessed It R Kelly oh No.
Speaker 1: It's the first.
Speaker 4: That was the first, and I did really like that song, and that was the that was the reason that I bought the album back when you had to do that, yeah, You're like, I just I want to listen to one song, So I guess I got to pay fifteen ninety nine. That's the first album I ever owned. Nick Cannon's album That is Wild. He was rapping Never Forget, he was rapping.
Speaker 1: Sheh Okay. Now I feel that we should do our final sag okay, Devin. Our final segment is called shout outs, and in this segment, we pay homage to the grand straight tradition of the radio shout out, shouting out anything that we enjoy people, places, things, ideas.
Speaker 2: And we think of them on the spot.
Speaker 1: We think of them on the spot, which is part of the struggle.
Speaker 2: The struggle struggle as as I always think.
Speaker 5: Olks, oh, we're being so unprofessional today.
Speaker 2: It's because Sam's getting married.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's why.
Speaker 2: Okay, now it's gonna come to me. It's gonna come to me.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have one.
Speaker 2: Okay, go go go.
Speaker 1: What's up freaks, losers, and especially perverts, this is for you. I'm going to give a huge shout out to office parties. I have just been working a job for like a year and a half and we never had one party the whole time, so I only knew people in the context of work. And I said, Okay, I guess we're all like this. This is what we are. One party. I'm saying, everybody's so fun. I'm saying people get a little inappropriate. I say thank god. This whole time I was like enough with HR.
Speaker 6: And then this party we were getting a little bit weird, and I say, thank God, this job is over because some of these things would lead to some issues, but through that I felt very comfortable, and I said, you know, this is I finally I see the full humanity of these people.
Speaker 1: And I feel that I was almost robbed of seeing them as people and not as little data sets until this moment. So shout out to office parties. Yes, you're going to make some mistakes, but that's part of it. It's to understand each other on a human level. Enjoy it xxo, Sam.
Speaker 2: What's up, freaks and losers? I want to give a shout out to the feeling of being invited to something, saying no, seeing that people do that something, and being offended you're not there, this kite, the fact that you yourself said no to the invite. I actually think this is one of those so deeply human feelings that is invigorating because it reminds you of your own humanity. It's like, you know, we're talking about AI folks. AI cannot feel that feeling, The feeling of literally saying notice something and still being like, why did they do it without me? That is actually the core of human nature and we have to really lean into those, especially human feelings when we create art in the future. Otherwise the machines are going to win.
Speaker 1: Wow, humanity was running through both of art. Yeah in deep way. Wow, that was really you guys, And that was just off, just off the dome.
Speaker 2: Well, this just happened to me, actually that feeling. Oh, I see last night I was people and you were hangout. They're like, can you come? I said no because I had work to do. So I'm posting about it saying, well, why the hell are you there without me?
Speaker 1: Why are you guys?
Speaker 3: Why is it fun?
Speaker 1: If I wasn't gonna be there? Should you guys should just.
Speaker 4: Be saying kind of solemnly you should be in mourning, yes, just kind of being like, well, man, this sure could be better.
Speaker 1: Okay, Devin, whenever you're ready. Fuck you know what you know.
Speaker 4: I spent my whole time trying to think about what I was going to talk about, but then I kind of got enraptured by which all were talking about.
Speaker 3: I was kind of just I was really engrossed.
Speaker 2: To know we have had so many especially me, sometimes it will just not come to me and then everyone's sitting there awkwardly.
Speaker 1: That's not true. I've had just as many flops.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Sam, but you are pushing it.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, you're right. No, you're right, No, you're right. What's up?
Speaker 3: Freaks and losers? I'd like to say, hey, shout out to every single.
Speaker 4: Uber driver who carries on a conversation the entire time that we are in the vehicle. I'd like to know what it is. But you know, oftentimes we don't speak the same language, so I've just got to pick up on the cues that you're sending out verbally. And sometimes you seem like you're in a fight with your wife, and I like to know about that, you know, I like to know about what's going on with you. Weigh me in, you know, let me know a little bit about what you've got going on.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about it together.
Speaker 4: If hey, whatever Uber driver takes me home after this, let's talk, let's talk.
Speaker 1: Let's get together. Thanks.
Speaker 3: That's all I have to say to today. My name is Devin.
Speaker 1: Thanks, wow, wow, Well Devin, it's been a pleasure to have you on. Thanks for them. Yeah, it's been nice.
Speaker 2: And once again, please tell our listeners where they can find you.
Speaker 4: Uh, you can find me at Internet Devin, on whatever platform you you find people on. And then also my favorite lyrics pod go listen, go listen. We started all indie. We didn't do it with a network or anything, so we're like building it from the ground up.
Speaker 1: So go check it out.
Speaker 4: We've got a lot of very fun episodes and you guys are welcome to come.
Speaker 1: Would love to anytime. And networks are good too. Just FYI and shout out to.
Speaker 3: The good people at Big Money Players.
Speaker 2: And I Want. I wonder when I think we're pro indie. Yeah, any network here, pro network, prow network. The bigger, the better, conglomerates, love them.
Speaker 1: Love them, love them.
Speaker 2: Okay, Bye podcast and is now want more?
Speaker 7: Subscribe to our Patreon for two extra episodes a month, discord access and more by heading to patre dot com. Slash Stradio Lab.
Speaker 1: And for all our visual earners, free full length video episodes are available on.
Speaker 7: Our YouTube now Get back to work.
Speaker 1: Stradio Lab is a production by Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network and iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Created and hosted by George Severs and Sam Taggart.
Speaker 1: Executive produced by Will Ferrell, Han Soni and Olivia Aguilar.
Speaker 2: Co produced by Bei Wang, edited.
Speaker 1: And engineered by Adam Avalos
Speaker 2: Artwork by Michael Failes and Matt Grugg theme music by Ben Kling,