Speaker 1: Hey listeners Jessica here. Be sure to check out new episodes of Undetermined every Tuesday for free wherever you get your podcasts. For early and ad free listening, check out Tenderfoot Plus on Apple Podcasts. The views and opinions expressed in this podcast are solely those of the individuals interviewed and participating in the show, and do not represent those of Tenderfoot TV and Resonate recordings. All individuals described or mentioned in the podcast should be considered innocent until found guilty in a court of law. This podcast contains subject matter such as violence and graphic descriptions which may not be suitable for all audiences. Listener discretion is advised. On the night of Wednesday, August fourteenth, twenty nineteen, two officers responded to a wellness check at the Dernings home in Lakeview. It was called in by Jessica's friend Maria after not hearing from her for nearly two days. The officer spoke with Jessica's husband, Justin, for about seven minutes, and upon leaving, they let him know that another squad would be coming out to file a missing persons report. Just a few hours later, around one o'clock in the morning Thursday, August fifteenth, Senior Officer Lucretia Gantner and rookie Officer Tristan Griffin arrive at the residence. This is their bodycam audio, which we obtained from the family.
Speaker 2: Three five A third District.
Speaker 3: Here you.
Speaker 1: While Officer Griffin talks to Justin outside, Officer Gantner calls Detective Anthony Lunn from inside her police cruiser and explains the reason for being there.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we're at.
Speaker 3: Earlier tonight, around ten something, a friend from out of town called and said that she hadn't been able to get a hold of her friend since Monday.
Speaker 2: I think she's not answering her phone and all that.
Speaker 3: So an officer came out here, I think a leaf few officers came out did a wellness check. Well, when they did the wellness check, the husband says, no, I haven't heard from her either. Her phone's here, her purse's here, her meds are here, everything's here, But I haven't heard from her, and I don't know where she's at. And the friend that called from out of town said that she's afraid that the husband did something to her because they have a history of.
Speaker 2: I guess domestic issues.
Speaker 1: Now, before we get into the remainder of the bodycam audio, it's important that we addressed the weighty statement made by Maria because there's some context to it. It started about nine months earlier, near the end of twenty twenty. I'll let Maria fill you in.
Speaker 4: When they came to stay in my home at Thanksgiving.
Speaker 5: My middle son is in.
Speaker 4: Competitive cheer and they had a two day competition scheduled for the end of January early February in New Orleans. They were getting packed up ready to leave.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: She was like, I'm so sad.
Speaker 4: I don't want to leave. And I was like, I know, I'm going to miss you. And I was like, well, as a competition in New Orleans and it's a two day competition, so maybe we'll just come stay with you. She was like, yeah, of course, And you know, I mean we had just had them in our house for three days. Of course they were going to say yes, you know. So then just a few days before we were supposed to show up and stay at her house, I get this text from her and she says, Hey.
Speaker 5: I need to talk to you about this weekend. I'm hiding in the bathroom right now, so Justin doesn't hear me. We've been fighting, like fighting for the past three days about everything. He's threatening to kick me out, put me in jail. He's hit me.
Speaker 7: It's bad.
Speaker 5: He told me, you guys can't come, or it's going to be worse for me.
Speaker 2: Lo.
Speaker 5: I'm so sorry. I know it's the last minute, and I feel awful. I don't know what to do. I can recommend somewhere that's reasonable and nice. The Beyond Canal. We say they're a lot, or we used to hell.
Speaker 8: I'm scared.
Speaker 1: Both the police body came audio and the Edge text thread between Jessica and Maria raise a serious accusation about domestic violence regarding Justin. While I cannot speak to the accuracy of these claims, it's important to understand that Justin has never been charged with any crimes of domestic violence against Jessica.
Speaker 4: I mean, it was kind of an upsetting text to get, you know. I mean, she's putting a lot of detail in here, which is unusual. But he's threatened to kick me out with something that he did all the time. So it struck me as very odd because she had never put any kind of details about the relationship and writing like that. Later on that day she called me and she was like, I'm so sorry. You know, maybe we can find a room for you. And I was like, it's cool, I've our I booked something. And I was like, but aren't you done with this yet? Like are you tired? You have to be tired, Like you're not getting any younger, this doesn't get any better. She was like, yeah, I know, and then she would just kind of change the subject.
Speaker 1: While Maria may have been shocked at the revelation, she remained fairly casual about it, giving off a certain familiarity with the situation. Turns out, at the time, she had just gotten out of a tumultuous relationship. It's a big reason why she alienated herself and lost touch with Jessica for a few years.
Speaker 4: Most of the people in her life didn't know what she was going through, because you know, you don't just tell people all your dirty laundry. So that's why I knew to be patient with her about it. It had to be the time, It had to be the exact right time to go.
Speaker 1: Maria waited as patiently as she could, and then seven months later, the morning of Monday, August twelfth, twenty nineteen, just two days before police responded to wellness check. Jessica reached out, so.
Speaker 4: I slid the phone open and put it on the speakerphone. I was like hey, she said hey. I said, what's going on? And she was like, I just really need to get out of here? Can you come get me? I was like, well, I can't come right now. I've got to pick up the kids in like two hours. But if you're really ready to go, I could be at your house by ten thirty tomorrow morning, but you got to be ready to get in my car, like no looking back and turning back into a pillar. Assault, Like you've got to be ready to go. And she said okay. I said, well, what's going on? She was like it's just so bad. And I was like, well, what does that mean so bad? Because I was trying to feel her out because she had been ready to leave for a long time. And she was like, it's just so bad. We're just fighting. I'll just I'll tell you everything when you get here. I said, okay tomorrow morning and she was like yeah, okay, and she was like, okay, I gotta go. I think he's waking up.
Speaker 1: After their call, Maria sent a Facebook message letting her know that she was going to talk to her boyfriend about Jessica staying with them. Jessica then called Maria to let her know she was at a doctor's appointment with Grace and would have to see how things were when she got home. This call was followed by a reply from Jessica to Maria's original Facebook message. It came through at two forty three in the afternoon. It read similar to what she had told Maria over the.
Speaker 9: Phone, Okay, just hang on.
Speaker 5: I don't know what's going to happen when I get.
Speaker 4: Home, and that was the last time I ever spoke to her.
Speaker 1: The day Maria had planned to pick up Jessica, August thirteenth, twenty nineteen, came and went without a word from her. Maria thought maybe Jessica had gone home, and she and Justin patched things up, anticipating she'd hear from her at a later time, but instead, the following night, Wednesday, August fourteenth, at nine pm, while Maria and her boyfriend were getting ready for bed, her phone dinged. It was a message from Justin, the one Maria described before, which set off a chain of events here's their full exchange.
Speaker 10: Is Jess with you? Grace and I are worried? If so, that's fine. We just don't know where she is. And Grace can't handle stress like this right now.
Speaker 7: No, she's not.
Speaker 5: When was the last time you spoke to her?
Speaker 10: About noon today? And she left everything here? Keys, car, id, money?
Speaker 7: What about her phone here?
Speaker 11: Too?
Speaker 10: Fucking weird?
Speaker 2: Worried.
Speaker 10: She's never done this. I have no idea, checked everything and everyone I know.
Speaker 5: Okay, well, I'm sending the police over there.
Speaker 10: Okay, you're gonna freak out, Grace.
Speaker 5: But if Jonathan came home from work and all my stuff was here and the kids didn't know where I was, he'd already be talking to the police.
Speaker 10: I know how to file a missing person's report. Do you think I heard her or something? The police can't do anything until after twenty four hours. She's an adult. I'm checking hospitals in jails now.
Speaker 1: About an hour later, just after ten pm.
Speaker 10: Called hospitals and both jails, and not any of them called police and missing persons. It's twenty four hours after last scene to file a report, I've got to be missing something.
Speaker 1: Of course by now, you know it wouldn't end up taking an additional twenty four hours. In fact, police would respond just minutes later after Maria called in for a wellness check. You heard the audio from this visit, but remember just a couple hours later, around one am on August fifteenth, a second unit would return to the home to file a missing person's report. So, now that you're up to speed, let's go back to the body cam audio from that second visit, which came from responding officers Gantner and Griffin.
Speaker 2: When is the last time you saw her, sir? Twelve thirty? Like late noon?
Speaker 12: Correct? Around thirty?
Speaker 2: Okay? And what was did you guys talk to each other?
Speaker 12: Then?
Speaker 1: Seated inside her cruiser, Officer Gantner plays liaison, asking Justin some questions while relaying information over the phone to Detective Anthony Lunn, who investigates missing person cases.
Speaker 3: I see, so they talked, he said, they talked around twelve thirty. They were talking about bills. They were talking about what they were going to do later, what they were going to have for dinner. And he said that she looked at him and said he looked tired, and he said, I am. So he went and laid down and then he hasn't seen or heard from her since then. Yeah, well, what about there's two other people that live in the house with you all, there's two other people that live in the house with you.
Speaker 2: Okay, has your daughter spoken to her? And your dad has not spoken to her, hadn't seen her?
Speaker 12: Okay, which is really what it's not dad, they.
Speaker 3: Haven't the daughter.
Speaker 2: How old is your daughter?
Speaker 12: Good?
Speaker 3: Fifteen year old daughter? And his elderly father haven't seen her either. You saw her in person, right, yeah, he saw her in person. She was here at the house. So this this so you know, this is actually my neighbor. He lives like three houses a week from me, and he's a very strange.
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 1: She leans back out of the cruiser to ask justin another question.
Speaker 3: You said, you guys haven't had any recent issues, right, No, in the recent issues?
Speaker 12: My answers back to schoolship, you know.
Speaker 1: Turning back to her phone call, she gets a little more candid with Detective Line.
Speaker 2: Here's my concern. He was not even worried about this until her friend.
Speaker 3: From out of states and officers over here to look for her to make sure she was okay. Like he's just rolled nonchalant, like, oh, uh, you know, have the officers come to the polk straight side there? My dad and my daughter are sleeping. I don't want to wake them up. But then when we get here, he's like, do you guys need to do this in the car or do you want to come in? You can come look through the house if you want. You know, he's just being like, really weird about it.
Speaker 1: Gantner tells one she's been trying to get in touch with Maria to no avail. She then asks her partner, officer Griffin, to look at the house for any visible cameras, but he doesn't see any. Once more, she leans out the window to clarify something with Justin.
Speaker 2: Did she mention to you that she was going anywhere work? Does she work?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 3: She long supp Okay, that's all right.
Speaker 12: I was trying to figure out. I was trying to figure out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, see you has she left like this? People? And it's not common for her to be gone like late at night?
Speaker 11: It was not especially since my daughter got out.
Speaker 2: Okay, do you have do you have a picture of her, like a current picture? Okay? Can you get that in your please?
Speaker 1: She asked Justin if they can come inside to get a photo of Jessica. He graciously invites them in, warning them about his jog. They make their way through the side door by the driveway where Jessica's Range Rover is parked, and step into the disheveled living room.
Speaker 12: That's where.
Speaker 1: Piles of clothes are mounted on the couch and strewn across the floor just below. Next, the officers make their way to the hallway and turn left, entering the couple's bedroom. Austin Gantner pivots back to the matter at hand, this time crying a little harder.
Speaker 3: Okay, so what prompted you to say? Okay, I need to report her missing?
Speaker 12: Like around eight o'clock it was starting to get dark.
Speaker 2: Okay, what e did you wake up from?
Speaker 11: Me?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 12: From here about four o'clock? She got home at three? Uh kind of what stopped Rick? She Uh, she woke me up with something I had to sign. Okay, okay, She's like, Dad, you're dead at the world. I'm like, yeah, yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Were sleeping in here. You were sleeping in here, right yeah, okay, yeah, my.
Speaker 12: Daughter's rooms right on the other side.
Speaker 6: I said, if you see mom, if you you know what's what's going on?
Speaker 12: And she goes, she goes and seen.
Speaker 11: I was like, okay, And I know she had mentioned about want her doctors.
Speaker 12: It folesome, but there's no RTA to gets falsome. So immediately I thought, we're friends with him. And he's older, he's you know, his sixties, but his son's my age.
Speaker 11: And I thought, well, maybe you know she got a ride with him because sometimes he comes into the city.
Speaker 12: I called him. No, that didn't happen. Honestly, don't don't unless there's something. When I say, we you see this for homebodies, we don't have much if when.
Speaker 11: I say, if there's something that I am absolutely oblivious to.
Speaker 2: Does she have family here?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 2: You see from Do she have any like close friends here?
Speaker 12: What I was telling you about that was on Facebook? I mean, I'm moren't happy to pull it up wid you.
Speaker 2: Has she updated anything on Facebook?
Speaker 11: She hasn't logged on, she hasn't changed passwords to anything, to our bank accounts to and she handles all the time.
Speaker 12: I mean, she still has power returning on me.
Speaker 1: I mean, I like you justin opens the tablet to show the officers her Facebook page and then pulls up a message from Maria that she'd sent to Jessica earlier that day. This should sound familiar to you.
Speaker 11: And this is the only thing that threw me was I need to talk to about everything tonight when we get home from practices.
Speaker 12: So one of her sons.
Speaker 11: And my wife put okay, hang on, but I mean, I get all this on my mom.
Speaker 1: The officers get the tablet from Justin and start looking over the messages.
Speaker 12: So what is she saying we need to talk about everything? I have no idea.
Speaker 11: I mean, the only thing I can think of was is that maybe they were planning on doing something. So I put there. You know, I'm like, would you think I would hurt her or something? You know, I mean, the girl doesn't like me, she never has.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, so this is y'all talking to you.
Speaker 12: Yeah, the last conversation that yet, that's me talking to her. And she she lives in Alabama. She lives in like the hood in Alabama. She got like a litter of kids.
Speaker 11: And my wife's always been the same year the rescuer.
Speaker 12: It's just a man ass man.
Speaker 1: Without any prompting, Justin randomly mentions a call he made to his attorney friend.
Speaker 11: I just don't understand if I could wrap my brain around it. I think I'd be okay, you understand, but it.
Speaker 12: Just doesn't make any freaking sense at all. It's just just sudden it. You know, a good friend of mine's a prominent lawyer here. I called him and I was like, Ralph Wellen is his last name? Like Ralph? He goes, I didn't remember what a reasonable person would believe? Like, okay, you know, he goes, what's not reasonable this?
Speaker 11: There's nothing reasonable about this, Like I said, the only thing I can think of it.
Speaker 12: But I mean, you guys deal it with domestics.
Speaker 11: If somebody was gonna pick up and leave, they'd take their ship right or something.
Speaker 2: Mister Justin, we we are not going to And yeah, I could do this and.
Speaker 3: Say, well, well if someone did this, were not going to do that, So okay, I'm going to have can you get your ID in? Her ID?
Speaker 2: Sirs.
Speaker 1: Justin grabs his wallet from his back pocket and hands over his ID. He then walks past their unmade bed to the other side of the bedroom to pick up her wallet from the floor, and again makes mention that all her medications were there as he hands over her ID, which, to clarify, is not a driver's license. It's a Louisiana state ID with her name listed as Jessica Easterly, her maiden name. The officers ask Justin for his phone number, and he gives the same one he gave the first unit who came out for the wellness check, the number he claimed he'd been using since his phone was broken, supposedly having fallen off his motorcycle. Just a note here. While he states the phone number belongs to Jessica, her friends and family, on the other hand, have it saved as Justin's number in their phones and have a different number saved as Jessica's. But regardless, it's the phone number he'd claimed he'd been using as of late, and this bit of information will be important as a story develops. Back at the Journings home, officers ask for a photo of Jessica, a physical one, but Justin claims he doesn't have one that's not electronic, so instead he shows them a screenshot of Jessica on the tablet and says he will email.
Speaker 2: It to them.
Speaker 1: As the conversation continues, Justin tells the officers that he has called local hospitals as well as a sheriff's office. Looking for Jessica. Officer Gantner asks once more if there was any arguing or fighting before Jessica went missing, and Justin goes on to tell her that same story regarding the pizza and the nap he took, but this time a slightly differ.
Speaker 3: And you said, when you spoke to her around twelve thirty, there were no there was no arguing or anything like that.
Speaker 2: She didn't say, hey, I'm gonna go.
Speaker 12: She didn't tell me she was leaving it at all. She said, you looked tired us that I am. She had and made some little pizza.
Speaker 5: What are you cool damn things?
Speaker 2: The little pizza.
Speaker 12: Pizza? Yeah, I guess the frozen ones. She went made those. We eight, you know, just kind of in here, and I mean, as far as I know, she was just gonna do some work on the computer and and that was it.
Speaker 1: And then Justin tells the officer something he hadn't told them yet.
Speaker 11: And she haven't mentioned in that she had been kind of in a depressive cycle.
Speaker 12: Mm and kind of couldn't get over it.
Speaker 11: I'm like, maybe we spent thirteen thousand, we wiped out our savings account, putting our kid.
Speaker 12: I was like maybe just you know, we just need to communicate and talk, and that's one of her things. She keeps everything inside.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I don't want to be sexist, but women tend to do that, you know, at least to me put it that way, and they give.
Speaker 6: It all to me one time versus where as soon as I'm feeling something, I'm like, we need to talk about this because you know anyway, Oh man, I'm sorry if I'm all like like sketchyt a nervous wreck.
Speaker 1: At this point, the officers head back to their vehicle to call in the missing person's report and write up all the information they'd obtained from Justin. Just before getting in, Officer Cantner makes an interesting comment to Officer Griffin.
Speaker 3: I've lived here for three years now and I've never seen her, but I see him all the time.
Speaker 1: Once inside the vehicle, Gaittner calls for Superior Sergeant James Young.
Speaker 3: It's actually my neighbor and they live three houses away from me. Yeah, he's a strange individual.
Speaker 1: She takes a few minutes to get her sergeant up to speed on things, and then offers a little bit of insight.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what I told Griffin.
Speaker 3: I've lived here for three years now, and I see him outside all the time, but I never I have never seen this woman ever. I've always wondered where his wife is because I knew that he was married, but I've never seen her. I mean, to me, it's just like something's not right here. And I don't think that she would just leave her daughter because her daughter just got out of the hospital. Her daughter was in the hospital for three days. He is just explaining himself to death. Didn't you get that feeling. Yeah, he's like overly explaining to herselves all your frien Yeah, And he said, I'm sorry if I seem sketchy.
Speaker 1: This is just all weird to me.
Speaker 12: She's all she punched.
Speaker 2: And he's just like over explaining everything.
Speaker 3: So and it got to the point when he was talking to the friend through Facebook messenger, she just stopped at.
Speaker 2: The one thing that.
Speaker 1: Was weird is he.
Speaker 2: Told the friend I contacted the police.
Speaker 3: And the police said that I can't report her missing for twenty four hours, which is bullshit. We would never tell anybody that, And the dispatcher's not or the call taker's not.
Speaker 2: Going to tell somebody that.
Speaker 3: The whole thing is just like something's not right, because the whole thing is very sketchy, to use his word, and it kind of makes me a little uneasy because he lives three.
Speaker 2: Houses away from me. But anyway, let me help him with this.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to let you know because it does seem very unusual to me.
Speaker 9: His story sounds rehearsed.
Speaker 1: As the officers wrap up the call and finish their paperwork, they start a search for any calls or complaints filed from the address, specifically looking for any domestic calls.
Speaker 2: Spell her last name.
Speaker 12: It s t E.
Speaker 2: A story.
Speaker 12: Okay, can you put an address in the EPR.
Speaker 1: The search doesn't come back with anything, and through our own public records request, it appears as though Jessica had never reached out to law enforcement.
Speaker 2: They probably don't call the police when they have issues. A lot of people, don't, you know, well especially Yeah.
Speaker 1: The officers exit the vehicle and return to Justin to wrap things up, said, I want.
Speaker 2: To walk through the entire house. The dogs still up.
Speaker 3: Okay, we have to fill out a missing personal for David with you anytime there's somebody missing, and then this is what we send you.
Speaker 1: Justin reads over the report and then signs the affidavit. After doing so, the officers asked for some clarification.
Speaker 3: One last time, you did talk to your daughter and asked your daughter if she'd heard from her or actually seen her.
Speaker 12: I mean, I'd rather wake up. If you want me to get her, I will.
Speaker 2: No, I don't have to wake her up.
Speaker 12: It's two lots one morning.
Speaker 2: She has to go to school tomorrow.
Speaker 11: She does, but no, she and I right before you guys actually shut up.
Speaker 12: Right after the first two showed up.
Speaker 11: I went in there and asked her, I said, did you see the commotions?
Speaker 12: She's like, I don't know what commotion?
Speaker 2: Okay. But prior to that, did you ask her if she had seen her mind? Yeah?
Speaker 11: Yeah, okay, of course I was like no, And I didn't make a big deal out of it, because it was a big deal.
Speaker 12: Just she had you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And you said she just had jeans and a T shirt on. You don't remember, like what color T shirt? Or did she have shoes on? You know what kind of.
Speaker 12: Shoes were betting the piece of roles? Okay, I mean that's.
Speaker 2: What she had on.
Speaker 11: When okay, you know, and I checked, I went on.
Speaker 1: He doesn't finish that thought but it's what he said just before that that stood out to Todd me. Earlier, he told officers that he alone went to bed and when he woke up, he found a pizza that Jessica had made in the kitchen, and Jessica was gone. This time, he claims they were in bed together eating pizza rolls. Possibly just a slip up, but still interesting.
Speaker 3: Nonetheless, Now being that you lived so close to me, I just want to let you know. If something happens, don't come knocking on my door. All right, call on on one or there's going to be a detective. Contact you, contact the third district, instick to the detective.
Speaker 2: But just don't come knocking on my door.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, I just want to make that player, okay.
Speaker 1: The officers leave the house with the report and signed off, a David in hand and start heading back to their cruiser. Justin follows them out and tells the officers the same thing he told the other officers he came out for the wellness check about his aspirations for joining the force.
Speaker 12: Here I am looking at JPSOD. I just I'm home too much.
Speaker 11: Just my kid even tells like Dad, you know, I'm like, well, I just don't know if I could do the message.
Speaker 2: John yell.
Speaker 13: Anyway, and I have a really good friends with people. My best friend really is black. Of course Michael loves that. But he I call him and he was like, well, let's go recon see what you do. I'm like, man, I gotta stay here and see what's going on.
Speaker 12: But anyway, you know, he just you.
Speaker 11: Know a lot of people, and I walk past your house constantly, gone to meet him because he's got I can't say a little.
Speaker 12: Bit lesson John.
Speaker 1: Eventually, Officer Gantner reels.
Speaker 9: Him back in.
Speaker 12: He's actually the armor for n cis New Orleans.
Speaker 11: Okay, people here them completely Field Strip fifteen.
Speaker 2: I'm like, you don't remember that's I member for the report. Okay, thanks, and a detective to other Like.
Speaker 3: I mean, if like there's anybody that you can call that I know where she is or you know that's the only thing I can tell you, or if you know where you know a place she might go to or something, if you want to go look, or if you can tell us and we'll go look.
Speaker 6: If I'd be more than happy about.
Speaker 11: But I mean, like I said, the one place that she goes is to bed she has over miles and she's depressed by polar so you shouldn't have a great.
Speaker 3: Right, great right anyway, I know, and then if she, if she contacts you or comes home, let us know, tell nine on one and called.
Speaker 12: The district call nine three.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks, all right, and reference that item number when you call. Okay, all right, thank you. Version, that's okay.
Speaker 12: I mean, I'm not asking for parental advice. You've master which is on my kid. I mean it's the truth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tell her you had to make a missing person report that you haven't seen her since twelve thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that's your kid.
Speaker 3: You can tell her whatever you want, but I mean I would, I would be honest with her.
Speaker 2: Yeah anyway, okay, all right, thank you.
Speaker 1: Following the visit, Jessica's missing person's bulletin is issued within the in OPD Jessica Renee Easterly five six, one hundred and thirty pounds, brown hair, brown eyes, Celtic TAK two on groin. The missing person report and affidavit reads.
Speaker 7: Mister Justin Derning stated his wife, Miss Jessica Easterly, was last seen on Wednesday, August fourteenth, twenty nineteen, at approximately twelve thirty pm. Mister Derning stated that she was last seen wearing a T shirt and jeans. If Miss Jessica Easterly is found, please notify Third District DIIU. Upon arrival, the officers met with a reporting person, mister Justin Derney, who stated the following. Miss Jessica Easterly was last seen on Wednesday, August fourteenth, twenty nineteen, at approximately one pm before mister Justin.
Speaker 12: Went to bed.
Speaker 7: Mister Justin woke up from sleeping on the same day at approximately three pm to find his wife missing. Mister Derning observed missus Easterly's purse, wallet, phone, and keys left at the residence. Mister Derning did not observe any missing items from their home. The household's only vehicle was still in the driveway. He observed no changes to her social media. Mister Darning stated that his wife suffers from bipolar and depression. Her medicine was left at the residence. Mister Darning contacted local hospitals and jails about his wife's whereabouts, but was met with negative results. It should be noted that a wellness check was requested by one of Easterly's friends earlier that day, Officer Gantner called Easterly, but no one picked up on the line. Officer Gantner notified Third District Person Crimes Detective A Line Unit one three three five.
Speaker 1: And with that, Detective Anthony Lunn is officially assigned to the case. Six hundred thousand people go missing every year in the US, according to the National Missing and Unidentified Person System known as NAMES. As I write this, in Louisiana there are four hundred and sixteen open missing persons cases, and in New Orleans there are thirty five missing persons in the name of database. Now Jessica had become one of them, but she's obviously more than a statistic. She's a friend, a sister, a daughter, a wife, a stepmother. Though right now what mattered was she was missing and hope was fading fast.
Speaker 4: Then the next day I was actually with my girlfriend that lives here, and she was like, so, what's going on with that? And so I was kind of bringing her up to speed on it, and I was like, I don't know what to do. She was like, are you going to feel bad if something terrible has happened to her? I was like, yeah, of course, I forever there was a part of me that really wanted to believe she just had someone else, because she was very concerned that if she did come stay with me, he would just be right behind her, he would know exactly to find her. I was holding out some hope that she was okay, but I didn't feel like she was okay.
Speaker 1: While Maria was not feeling too hopeful about the situation. What's really sad is that at the time, Jessica's family wasn't even aware of her disappearance. Amidst all the chaos, they were never informed Maria wasn't in contact with the family. Back then, it would have required justin or the police saying something that didn't happen, But just two days later they'd learned the news in a rather unconventional way. It was Saturday, August seventeenth, on what would normally be a very special day. Jessica's sister, Audrey calls her to wish her happy forty third birthday. Her call goes unanswered. Then the next day, Audrey pulls up Jessica's Facebook page and sees post that stops her cold.
Speaker 8: I've always talked to my sister on her birthday, but that day I just.
Speaker 14: Thought she was out. Then on the eighteenth, when I got home from work, I seen.
Speaker 2: Maria.
Speaker 12: We have mutual friends.
Speaker 14: I seen Maria's post about Jessica missing, and I was like, holy shit. So I of course tried to contact Maria. She was already asleep, and she called me the next morning and told me everything. And then I called my sister and.
Speaker 12: I called my.
Speaker 14: Parents and they're like, oh, no, she's fine. Maybe they had a fight. She went over to a friend's house.
Speaker 1: Maria, still clinging to that last bit of hope, also tried reaching out to Jessica on her birthday.
Speaker 4: I was like, she would not let me wonder if she's alive or dead on her birthday, Like by now she would have reached out and let me know, hey, I'm safe, leave me alone. I'm just gonna stay safe for a while. And I've been like, cool, run, Bambi, run, you know you need some money, Like what do you need? But she wouldn't have let me wonder that long.
Speaker 1: That Sunday afternoon on August eighteenth, Maria calls NPD multiple times and struggles to get anywhere, talking with person after person. Seemingly no one can tell her anything, and then finally a detective reaches back out to her, she gives him a rundown of what had happened a few days before.
Speaker 4: And so they were like, okay, well we'll go over there and we'll check on her. Chances are she's probably home now, and she's just not allowed to talk to you because you're the friend. And if she's in this relationship like you say she is, you're probably just cut off because she tried to leave. So she's probably home now. Everything's probably fine. Super dismissive. I was like, she's not fine, and she would let me know if she was fine, and she certainly just wouldn't be fucking home and fine and let me worry about her, especially not when I'm putting her on glasses, missing all over social media. And so they went over there and they knocked on the door and they were like, well, I yuess, he's not home. But he was like sending me hostile texts about sending the police to his house. I was like, that's funny that you think he's not home because he's texting me about y'all being there right fucking now. They're just like, sorry, he can't make anything happen.
Speaker 1: Amidst all the frustration and uncertainty, Maria, Audrey, and the rest of Jessica's family did their best to remain steadfast.
Speaker 8: I of course, still had that little bit of hope, you know, like maybe she's just she's just somewhere. And then we decided to call the hospitals and stuff, domestic violin shelters, Gel's the corner the morgue, and no one she wasn't there.
Speaker 1: Days of confusion turned into a week of sleepless nights. That's when Jessica's family took matters into their own hands. Her sisters, Audrey and Amanda decided it was time to pay a visit to New Orleans, a visit that would end up taking them to the neighborhood of Lakeview, where Jessica was last seen. Their cousin Doug, made the trek with them.
Speaker 15: I was talking to Amanda on the phone and she was kind of filling me in about the whole thing with Jessica. I mean, something's not right here. And she had discussed going down to New Orleans talking to Project and talking with the detectives down there. And we went to the detectives to go talk with them, and they weren't. They weren't there, So we had decided to kind of do our own little thing kind of canvas area a little bit, kind of get an idea, kind of get a feeling for it. And it's a very big residential area. And at the end of both sides of this huge residential area were water. You try to apply logic to it. Okay, well, this would be a good place to form a search part.
Speaker 9: Let's get a little more familiar with it.
Speaker 15: Did you never expect to actually find anything?
Speaker 9: You really don't?
Speaker 1: Undetermined is a production of Resonate Recordings and Tenderfoot TV in conjunction with Cadence thirteen, written and hosted by me Jessica Nole and produced by Dennis Cooper and Todd McComas, with additional production by Whitney Bozart. Executive producers are Dennis Cooper, Mark Minnery, Jacob Bozart, Donald Albright, and Payne Lindsay. Our senior producer is John Street. Editing, mixing, mastering and sound design by Caleb Melcher, Dayton Cole and Pat kid Glider of the Resonate Recordings team. If you have a podcast or are looking to start one, check us out at Resonate Recordings dot com. Our theme song and original score is by Poor Robbins with additional scoring by Dayton Cole. Additional score for this episode by Andy Walker. Our cover art is by Station sixteen. Voice acting by Sabrina Seaward, Whitney Bozart and Paul Frield's. You can follow Undetermined Podcast on Facebook and on Twitter at Undetermined Pod. Show notes as well as bonus content can be found on our website, undetermined pod dot com. If you enjoyed this episode, please take time to subscribe, rate, and review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. And finally, if you have any information about this case, call crime Stoppers at one eight seven seven nine zero three seven eight sixty seven. The tone and inflection used by voice actors is not contextually accurate and is a matter of creative interpretation.
Speaker 12: F