Speaker 1: I'll never leave your filthy bed. I stay the night and one night weekend.
Speaker 2: Two or three years.
Speaker 1: The kids are not all right, but that's okay because no one here is.
Speaker 2: Hello, Fanyel Dishels, and welcome back to Teen Beat, a podcast where I sit with interesting people who've done interesting things in order to investigate origin stories, embarrassing, warts, and all. Because it's a well-known fact that where we've been can tell us where we're going. I spent seven seasons on a TV show displaying all stages of puberty, so I see it like this. I gave you my childhood. It's time we hear yours. And this week, I am honored to be chatting with a fellow former teenage creative who navigated the waters of Y2K pop music, reality television, tabloid culture, TRL, and a once-in-a-generation emo haircut, only to survive and pop out the other side unscathed. At 19, he turned a self-recorded demo into an independent album into the debut major label single On The Way Down, an undeniable bop that landed him on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart, and he has never looked back. And fresh off the Pop 2000 tour, a concert perfectly crafted for a podcast called Teen Beat, we have a lot to talk about. Please welcome to the show, celebrating 20 years since his first hit, Ryan Cabrera.
Speaker 3: Wow, that was an intro. I just found those, by the way, in my wife's drawer.
Speaker 2: Were those some J-14s?
Speaker 3: This is what she has. Oh, my gosh. She did a podcast called Uncool, like maybe four or five years ago when we met. So she has like all this awesome nostalgic stuff.
Speaker 2: Look at that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't really go in here too often, but I'm now finding all these things in here, which is kind of fun for your podcast.
Speaker 2: That is so cute.
Speaker 3: The intro is amazing. You have the nice turquoise decor, the little mermaid.
Speaker 2: I know, look at us. It's perfect for Team Beat. I feel like those were the colors of those magazines you just held up.
Speaker 3: That's what's happening in here. What else does she have?
Speaker 2: Yeah, what else? What else she got in there? You got any teenage diaries? I have some teenage diaries in mind.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm not allowed to do that. Yeah, don't go through those. I shouldn't dig too far.
Speaker 2: Don't go through those. Okay. I want to start in a place that truly matters. Let's talk about the hair.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Okay. I, you have always had wonderful locks. I want to focus on the 2003, 2004 and talk about that spiking process. How long did it take and what held it up?
Speaker 3: Actually, not that long because typically most of the shows or anything that I was doing was just leftover. It was the day after. The day after was always the best. First off, I will say it was inspired by originally, well, a couple of different people, but the Frosted Tips were inspired by Lance. Okay.
Speaker 2: Gotta give Lance the Frosted Tips credit.
Speaker 3: Yep. Yeah. I'll give Lance Frosted Tips credit along with Pacey from Dawson's Creek.
Speaker 2: Okay. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. There was an episode where he was frosting his tips and And I don't know, for some reason I was like, I want to do that. So I did that and it did not go over well. And I went to an all boys Catholic school and I showed up with frosted tips. Sometimes I would color them different colors and that's what started like the spiky thing. And it got a lot of attention, not in a good way. You know, I would, I get bullied a lot and all that stuff. Everyone made fun of me, but for some reason I was like, all right, I'm going to do it even further. So then I would dye them like blue or dye them red or dye them green. It would, you know, upset the teachers and stuff. So, That was, that was kind of where it all started.
Speaker 2: I love what that says about who you are and your personality that when you got teased for something, you doubled down instead of like backing down. I love that. I would like to instill that in my children. Although I, I, so far that's not how it's worked. My kid has come home and then been like, I'm never wearing that again. They made fun of me. And so you just doubled down.
Speaker 3: I did the opposite. I was like, all right, cool. I'm doing something that clearly at that point, you guys are, paying attention to me. Like you're, you're worried about my hair and like all that kind of stuff. So I was like, all right, whatever. I'm just going to, I'm just going to go with it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Rent free, taking up space in your mind over there. What kept it up? Did you have like particular hair products? A lot of bed head.
Speaker 3: A lot of bed head. Yeah. And at the time I can't believe I didn't get a bed head sponsorship.
Speaker 2: I know. You should still have one.
Speaker 3: I know. I agree. But never, it never happened. And I did a, I did a TV show called score on MTV. That was after TRL every day. Yeah. And so I thought for sure, I was like, oh, I'm going to get my bedhead sponsorship. Still no, never happened.
Speaker 2: Still no. We've got to manifest that. We've got to bring that into existence. Yeah. You and Lance were a few to use the blonde highlights well. You know, you pulled it off. You did it well. You did it the right way. So I don't know if there's a trophy for that, but if there was, I would give one to you and Lance.
Speaker 3: He gets the original and then we'll share it after that.
Speaker 2: Okay. I like that.
Speaker 3: I took over for him.
Speaker 2: Did also find this picture of you while I was doing research and it deserves its own award.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 2: What is this?
Speaker 3: OK, so there's a story with that.
Speaker 2: Please tell me what had happened.
Speaker 3: And that actually is me. I pull that up sometimes because people don't believe that's actually me. It looks like Inigo Montoya.
Speaker 2: I know. I saw the picture and I was like, wait, that's not him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: What happened? What had happened was the record label told me that in order to put out my third album that I needed to shave my head. so they wanted they wanted the shock just like you know they were talking the hair was like a thing whatever you know the spiky hair they're like okay you know what's going to promote this album even more is if you shave your head and i said well i don't want to shave my head and they said well you know it worked for rob thomas we did with him which i found out later because me and now rob had the same manager they're like they never told him that like that was all bs whatever so like oh all right well they definitely told me that so they told me i'd shave my head so i did the opposite so i grew it out long and then grew a mustache and a beard and that was my statement to, I'm not doing what the record label machine wants me to do. And then I got dropped.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: That has happened.
Speaker 2: You look fantastic there too.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you. I mean, to be able to pull off both. So the demographic changed a little bit. I will say it used to be like, you know, mothers bringing their, you know, their kids to the shows, their daughters and whatnot. And then it turned into just more of the mothers. Right.
Speaker 2: Just moms by themselves.
Speaker 3: Yeah. That was my indie phase. It happens. We all go through that.
Speaker 2: I really love the indie phase. And again, it says so much about who you were, like who you were as a kid. People make fun of the tips.
Speaker 3: Gotta be yourself. You know, and like I said, like, I don't, did it get me dropped from the major record label? Yes. But you know, at the end of the day, I was happy.
Speaker 2: I was happy just being myself.
Speaker 3: And it's what I wanted to do. They wanted me to do one thing and it's not what I wanted to do. So I didn't, you know, just agree with what they told.
Speaker 1: Me to do.
Speaker 2: So that was that. I want to know more about, again, young you and the start of your music career. I want to talk a little bit about Kane, your high school band that you yourself. My fake band.
Speaker 3: Okay, fake band. It was my fake band. At the time, it was fake. So I told people that I was in a band, even though I didn't really play an instrument and I was not in a band at the time. But I wanted, you know, I was like, yeah, in my head, I was like, oh, in a band, like, you know, it's me and a couple of my other buddies. And then eventually it turned into me and my brother actually forming said band, Kane. And our first show was a battle of the bands. We were that confident. We were like, we're going to win this thing.
Speaker 2: We're going to win it.
Speaker 3: You and me, bro. We just entered a battle of the bands. Never played a show. Had never played one show. And I was actually writing the songs in the hallway as we were waiting in line to go up. So I'm like, okay, here's how it's going to go. We're going to do this. And I did it. And then we played those songs. We didn't win.
Speaker 2: You didn't?
Speaker 3: Shocking.
Speaker 2: Did you come in second?
Speaker 3: Not even close okay we did not place but i will say three years later uh we were invited to play it was at smu uh in dallas it was the college and then we got invited three years later in my band rubik's groove uh which is a real band yes to play there and we did like a festival there and i was like oh this is where i got denied you know but it was inspiration i kept the you know all the letters of like the things that didn't work out you know we we applied for south by southwest like all these like awesome things. Cause we were very confident in ourselves.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: And so we, you know, we thought we were, we were like, we're, we're going to make it no matter what. And so I kept all the letters, put them on the wall and then eventually made it back and headlined a festival there like three years later. Wow.
Speaker 2: That really is great.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Cause I was going to say you had self-described Kane as bad. And then I was going to ask you, well, what made it bad? But I guess really the only.
Speaker 3: Thing that we were making up the songs in the hallway on the way to the show.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: That's it. That's pretty much it.
Speaker 3: That'll do it.
Speaker 2: I also love a good high school band breakup story. How did you and your brother decide to dissolve Kane before you made Rubik's Cube?
Speaker 3: So my brother bought me studio time in Dallas for my birthday, but he could only afford a certain amount of hours because they charge by the hour. So he could only afford for me to go in solo. I couldn't afford for the band to come in and record. So I did three songs acoustic, just like one take. And the engineer was like, dude, I'm used to recording such other stuff that this is actually really refreshing for me. I love your voice. I love what you're doing. So why don't you come in and do a whole album free? I'm not going to charge you, but it's going to be you acoustic. And so that's kind of what led. And then that little acoustic album started to get traction in town. And then I was like, um... And that led to me meeting Joe Simpson and Joe saw me play acoustic and heard that album and was like, so you're going to move to L.A. with me and my family. And literally two days later, I didn't even have a pair of shoes. I had flip flops and a carry on suitcase. And I next day I'm living in L.A. with the Simpson family.
Speaker 2: Okay. How did you, did you discuss this with your parents? Because at this point you had briefly enrolled at the university of Texas, right?
Speaker 3: I was at UTD. I got three credits. No big deal. Wow.
Speaker 2: Three credits. Are you going to go back and finish?
Speaker 3: Nope.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 3: Well, those three credits are in racquetball. So, uh, never officially got, you know, I thought, you know, I knew what I wanted to do at that point. I was like, in my head, I'm playing music. That's it. There's no such thing as failure. I'm, I'm going to make it. And that was what's nice about, you know, being young and dumb and just believing, which is a beautiful thing that I think hopefully people can have even later in life after experience and all those things of, of failure and all that kind of stuff. It's just like, no, this is happening and this is, here's how it's going to go. And I got very lucky. Obviously I worked, but, but I got very lucky to meet Joe and then fly out to LA and live with this beautiful house in Encino.
Speaker 2: So were your parents supportive when you just said, Hey, no, They're pissed.
Speaker 3: My dad, my dad was always like, no, you got to get a real job. You're going to school. Do you get a job? This is how this works. And I was kind of anti all that. And then, uh, my brother was pretty upset because he was like, yo, you left me. I was supposed to be your manager.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But I got a, I got an opportunity to, you know, to go to LA and like actually do this for real, you know, kind of thing. And, um, It was, yeah, it was not supported by my parents. Even after, I'll be honest, like even after selling like, you know, 2 million albums, they, my dad still was like, so when are you going to get an actual job? I'm like, dad, I just sold out Wiltern. You know, I'm like, I just played Madison Square Garden. Like I'm doing okay. You know, like I can do things. And he's like, you gotta get a real job.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: It's just different, different perspectives. You know, his reality was different than mine, but it's okay.
Speaker 2: Totally. My, my mom also raised in a house where it was like, you've got to get a corporate job. Not even like anything in the, anything that was like a trade or creative wasn't real. It had to be like, you better work in a bank. Cause that's what her mom did.
Speaker 3: It was just that, yeah. The things that they didn't understand. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And, and to them that was security. They wanted security for you more than anything.
Speaker 3: Which is what we all want as parents now, of course.
Speaker 2: Of course. well just a few years later though you release on the way down a song that is now just over 20 years old and this one really resonated with a specific listener because decades later it is still beloved did it always.
Speaker 3: Every grocery store you go to every grocery store every every saturday home depot lows if you're shopping you're gonna hear it which is pretty.
Speaker 2: Awesome we sing along and we go, I'm in a good mood. I don't, Oh, you know what? It's the song.
Speaker 3: Well, that's, that's like the early two thousands music. I think just in general, like that time period, like we were at a party bus last night for my wife's birthday. And it's like, what does everyone want to hear? We put on two thousands, everyone's singing along. Absolutely. It's such like a beautiful time capsule of music and songwriting and, um, you know, it'll never be the same, but we had it. We did it.
Speaker 2: We did it. We, we did it and we got to enjoy it. Did it always feel like a hit to you from just day one?
Speaker 3: No, what's funny is because I hear songs, you know, from friends of mine. I'm like, dude, obviously, you know, that was going to be, you know, a smash hit. And I'm like, dude, we didn't even think that was gonna be a single. So you never know when you're inside of it. You know, like, even like, if you're filming a show, you know, you're like, all right, hopefully this does well. We see it. We're like, obviously, that's an amazing show, you know, a certain song. Yeah, you never have any idea. The only one that I knew was going to be, you know, you never know, no. But in my heart, I was like, this is going to be a big hit was the song True, which was my second single, which most people think on the way down was the biggest just because that's the one that came out first. But True ended up actually being, you know, my biggest song I ever had. And that was one that I was like, I had to fight for that one, too, because it was just an acoustic ballad. It was an acoustic guitar. And I worked with Johnny Resnick from the Goo Goo Dolls and he was the producer on the whole album. And he was always like, dude, you know, like a song with just an acoustic guitar and a falsetto, like that's just, you know, it's not going to work on radio. You know, we have to add like this big band to it. And I fought to just keep it acoustic. I was like, you never know until you know, like let's do something different. And at the time, like John Mayer kind of was kind of setting the path for singer songwriters because that wasn't popular. Like the solo guy wasn't like huge yet. And then I was like, all right, we pushed for it. And it came out and ended up being my biggest song.
Speaker 2: So great. You know, I just, I just interviewed Salt-N-Pepa recently and they had the exact same conversation with me. They said, you know, Push It wasn't supposed to be a single. And they had no idea that it was going to be as huge as it was. And then when they were like, you know, yeah, we think this should be the single. And you just never know when you're on the inside.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What's going to end up being massive for you?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, the label will always tell you one thing because they have their opinion. It's like, but sometimes you got to stick with it. I remember the story, like when I was putting out True, it was Daughters for John Mayer.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 3: John Mayer was like, this isn't a single, whatever. And then the guy who, we had the same publisher, Evan Lamberg, and he was like, nope, I believe in this song and I believe in True and I believe in you, like whatever. And he pushed for it and it worked out great.
Speaker 2: So great.
Speaker 3: My first number one on TRL.
Speaker 2: First number one, True.
Speaker 3: First number one on TRL, yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love that. I know early in your career, you lived out my dream, which is performing in malls. I would do every podcast from the Topanga Mall if they would let me.
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 2: Oh, I love a mall. Especially that mall.
Speaker 3: Same. So I always booked our hotels. I was like, just put me by a mall. Wherever we're performing, I was like, put me by a mall. I had to go walk around a mall.
Speaker 2: It was a plus.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that was our first tour. It was legit. We did a mall tour.
Speaker 2: What do you remember from those early days of mall tours? Um..
Speaker 3: A couple different things. I mean, just a lot of screaming girls, which was really fun. And then Claire's. I remember getting my first, like, jewelry line in Claire's. And I would go in and be like, I'm going to buy this. They'd be like, okay, cool. And they wouldn't give a shit. They're like, do you see who's jewelry this is?
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 3: I just tried it. But look again. They're like, okay, cool. We'll check you out. I'm like, all right. I'll go to the next Claire's.
Speaker 2: Maybe at the next city.
Speaker 3: Yeah. That's what I remember from malls though.
Speaker 2: It's funny. Minor, minor Cinnabon. Me too.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And Auntie Anne's are like the pretzel smell.
Speaker 2: The smell. And then like leaving. And sometimes fans would buy you a Cinnabon. Like they'd buy, fans would buy me mini Cinnabons.
Speaker 3: And you actually ate them? I'd be scared. Heck yeah.
Speaker 2: They were sealed.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah. You're right. You're right.
Speaker 2: They were sealed. Oh yeah. I'm not going to pass up a Cinnabon. You know what? Is there a risk of poison?
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 2: Is it worth the risk? Maybe. I think so, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: A lot of listeners were probably introduced to you thanks to reality television. First, on The Ashley Simpson Show, when you two were dating back in 2004. And you mentioned that her dad originally got you out to LA as, and he was your manager, which is kind of where your career started. As a kid from Dallas, with really no knowledge of LA, what was it like to then be thrown into the life of paparazzi, because now you're a part of, you're living with the Simpsons and they were basically being trailed 24 seven at that time.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, that was actually, it was like right before like the newlyweds, you know, so reality TV was still being born, you know, it was like the Osbournes and, um, you know, it was when reality was real. And I remember, I still remember what, well, first of all, I'll start with what was it like getting there? I was just a kid with big eyes and just stoked to be there and yeah next thing i know you know ashley's my neighbor like you know and i would go run by and like play her songs and um i always had a crush on her um but we weren't dating at the time she was with somebody else but i would like go into her room and play her songs and stuff and um be kind of jealous of like the dudes that she would have over and then uh and then the show started happening and next thing you know like it just all happened like obviously organically but um, actually, no, it started from a music video. I remember it was Joe's idea to put Ashley in my, on the way down music video. And then that night, so we had to kiss the video. I remember being super nervous. We kissed in the video. And then that night we ended up on the dance floor in a club. And then we're like, well, this is weird. This is like, we're like roommates, you know, we live in the same house now. And then the show started happening. So they just followed us around. And that kind of was the birth of, our relationship and, you know, us as artists. But at that time, reality TV was real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: That was it. There was no storylines. There was no like, okay, here's who you have to talk about. Here's what you gotta do. There's no beats. There's, it was cameras around us and we didn't pay attention and we were actually ourselves on that show. So when I look back at that, like it was a, it was a fun time. Cause I was just like, that was just us being us. Right. And then knowing obviously what it was like later with the girl that I dated that was on the Hills. Yeah. Then I get– so she was like, hey, we kind of have to film because if we want to– I don't want people to think I'm with someone else, whatever, blah, blah, blah. So I showed up. And then you get there and like, all right, here's who you're talking about. Here's what y'all are doing today. I'm like, wait, what? I was like, this is weird.
Speaker 1: What a change.
Speaker 3: We have to break up with each other two different ways?
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask you about that because then you find yourself on the hills. You're dating Audrina Patridge.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Which we dated before the Hills ever even existed, too. So like that actually was a real relationship.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: We'd met. We used to go to a place called 40 Deuce back in the day. And that was kind of what started our relationship. And we ended up breaking up and we got back together. When we got back together, she was on that show and she told me about it. She's like, hey, I'm on the show. If, you know, you kind of want to be around, like the only problem is if you're not, then people are going to think I'm dating somebody. else because this is what they have me doing on the show. So that was kind of how that went down. Showed up for her and then it was interesting to.
Speaker 2: Say the least. So when you guys then break up, was it a real breakup? No.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: And then people just see you walking around. Were people in shock to see you like walking around the Grove holding hands?
Speaker 3: Uh, not in LA. Not so much. Cause that was just normal. Yeah. Whatever. But yeah, we would break up and then we'd go play super Nintendo and then go, go out. I would break up with her. Then she would break up with me and then they would decide how they wanted the storyline to go. And then we'd have, but like some of those, like whatever, I don't know if there were arguments or whatever, the things that we would break up, they were like, wait, It was hard to turn off like, okay, by the way, we're not upset with each other. Right.
Speaker 2: That was acting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was exactly. It was, it was acting, but then it was hard to like, kind of pull away from that and be like, okay, by the way, let's go have a fun night.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's a little like when you wake up from a bad dream where your spouse has cheated on you in your dream or something. And you're like.
Speaker 3: It felt real. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel I'm, I'm kind of pissed.
Speaker 3: That happens to me a lot because my wife, for some reason, I'm a real asshole in her dreams.
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 3: Yeah. It doesn't make sense. I'm like, I didn't do anything.
Speaker 2: I'm a super nice guy. I'm like, why am I, why am I such a dick in your dreams? All her greatest fears come out in her dreams.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You ended up touring with Jessica in 2004. And I'm what do you remember about that tour? I'm assuming you were doing some pretty big venues.
Speaker 3: Oh, my gosh. Yeah. So that was well, it was my first time I ever got like a tour bus. And I remember being a kid like if one or, you know, a little bit like 1890s. I was like, one day if I if I'm ever on a tour bus, that that is how I know I made it. And I got a bus. I had Michael Bolton's original bus. Oh, like the 80s. And it smelled like pee.
Speaker 2: I was hoping for some sort of eighties cologne.
Speaker 3: Nope. Nope. Nope. Smell like pee. The whole bus smell like pee. Uh, but I had a bus.
Speaker 2: You made it.
Speaker 3: I had a bus. I done made it. Uh, it was super fun. You know, like just getting to, to be like play those huge stage. Nobody knew who I was. And, um, but it, you know, went over great. And that's kind of like how it all started. I've always been on the road, you know, I've always performed and played live. So I was like, all right, that was right after, or right before the mall tour. So, I really did it like the old school pop way, huh?
Speaker 2: You did.
Speaker 3: Opening for Jewel, Jessica Simpson, mall tour.
Speaker 2: I mean, the highlights, just truly like highlights.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the good old pop days.
Speaker 1: These days.
Speaker 2: Good old pop days.
Speaker 3: People miss a good mall tour.
Speaker 2: I would be first in line. I love, I mean, also I, the kids, when I go to the mall, there are a lot of young cools in malls.
Speaker 3: The back?
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 2: It's back. I feel like it's back. They walk around.
Speaker 3: Lemonade on a stick or something.
Speaker 2: Yes. They walk by the arcade. Hot dog on a stick.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It's back. It's, it's back.
Speaker 2: I'm always like, okay, I love it. It's a busy parking lot. Hard to find parking, but that means it's thriving. I'm excited.
Speaker 3: Blockbuster. Like, I feel like all those things people would actually really enjoy. People are over– well, I don't know.
Speaker 2: You're right.
Speaker 3: Over like those things. Just like bring back the good stuff. Yes.
Speaker 2: I just heard about a phone that they're calling the tin can phone. And it's basically– a home phone for young people.
Speaker 3: That- Remember like the clear one? We might have one here. Like the clear phone with the cord and you would just lay on your bed or right to the side of it and be on the phone all night.
Speaker 1: Yes, I used to love that.
Speaker 2: I would be on the phone for hours.
Speaker 3: We might have one.
Speaker 2: Let's look to see if you have one. Bring that back.
Speaker 3: Oh, wait, we got this. Wait, wait, wait, wait. What do you got?
Speaker 2: What do you got?
Speaker 3: What is this phone?
Speaker 2: Oh, what? An NSYNC hotline phone?
Speaker 3: Oh, my gosh.
Speaker 2: Is that an Nokia?
Speaker 3: Now we're talking. It's me talking on the phone.
Speaker 2: Oh, my gosh.
Speaker 3: See?
Speaker 2: Oh, my God. Look at the intimate video. What does that say? I don't know.
Speaker 3: Oh, the intimate video. Oh, my gosh. This stuff is so good.
Speaker 2: That is great. Oh, we need to. Oh, my God.
Speaker 3: Classic. Remember this?
Speaker 2: Let me see. Oh, of course. A magic eight ball. Mine would always get stuck. Let's see what yours says. You're stuck.
Speaker 3: It's stuck.
Speaker 2: It's stuck. That's exactly it. It's always on the side. It's stuck. I'm glad to see some things never change.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But you, but those are good memories.
Speaker 2: Yes, they are. And you've still got them. You've still got them right there to relive every day.
Speaker 3: My wife does.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: She's got a lot of fun stuff.
Speaker 2: Speaking of your wife you are married to and you have an almost three-year-old daughter with the amazing alexa bliss wwe superstar yeah did you know anything about wrestling when you guys started dating I.
Speaker 3: Did because, so one of my first friends in LA, like back in like the early 2000s was Mike the Miz. So before he was ever a wrestler, you know, he'd done the real world. I don't know if you remember Saddle Ranch back.
Speaker 2: In the day, but that was like- Who can forget Saddle Ranch?
Speaker 3: The spot. Saddle Ranch was the spot. The spot. So we would go out there and like that was where all the real world cast would hang out. And so me and Mike just became friends. And then eventually like down the line, like maybe five or six years later, he's like, you know, I'm going to be a wrestler. Like I always said, whatever. And I'm like, yeah, right. And then I remember not thinking much about it. And I was in a seven 11 one day and I was going to get a drink. And then the cup had Mike, the Ms. WWE superstar. And I was like, texted. I was like, wait, what? You actually did that? He's like, dude, I'm a big deal. I'm the Ms.
Speaker 2: I'm like, all right.
Speaker 3: But I thought that was like a joke. And so he actually did it. And then fast forward, like maybe 10 years later, he had a TV show called Ms. And Mrs.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: USA network. And he was like, Dave, you know, will you come be on this show with me? So I did that show with him. And then somebody started a rumor online. I don't know if it parlayed maybe because of that show, but they were like, oh, I hear you and Alexa Bliss are dating. So Mike called me and he's like, I hear you're dating Alexa Bliss. And I said, I was like, okay. I was like, I'm not sure I'm single, but I don't know who that is, but all right. And then he showed me a picture. I was like, all right, well, introduce us. He never did though. He'll claim that he did. He never actually did it. Really? He will take credit for this? He took a lot. Oh, of course. It's Mike.
Speaker 2: Who did end up, yeah, exactly. Who did end up introducing you?
Speaker 3: Whoever started that rumor. Whoever started the rumor. So we ended up talking just online. I was on a plane and we were chatting. We had mutual friends. And so we had a lot in common. We were chatting for like five hours. And I was like, all right.
Speaker 2: On the plane? You guys were next to each other on a plane?
Speaker 3: No, no, no. Just chatting. Okay, on the phone. Yeah, on the phone. And then I was like, well, I'm landing in Orlando. And it was really nice talking to you. She's like, oh, well, I live in Orlando. I was like, all right. what are you doing tomorrow night? Cause I'm playing nine shows at Epcot with Joey Fatone. If you want to come by. And she was like, maybe I was like, excuse me.
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: And though eventually I got her out, I was persistent and we kept being in the same city just like over and over again. And then I was like, you can't get rid of me.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. So cute. What is your relationship with wrestling? Like now do you, are you a fan? Do you love it? Do you love the culture?
Speaker 3: I do actually. Like, I mean, it's, so entertaining and our daughter loves it. Like she, like once we leave like the show, like at first we're like, okay, hopefully she's into this and she's not thinking like what's going on. Like we didn't, we didn't know exactly what to think, but we just, you know, we started early and then whenever I would like, like I got into the bathroom, she'd start crying because she wanted to see the show. Like now, and she, she goes, one, two, three, ding, ding, ding. And like when she sees mommy on TV, she goes crazy. So I always say like, even I love bringing friends who, don't know the culture, don't have no idea what's going on. Like, I promise you, no matter what you think, you're going to have a great time. Exactly. And they're like, they're into it by like the fourth match. They're like, oh, they're like screaming and getting into it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I feel like wrestling is a subculture similar to what you came up with, like through the Warped Tour, you know, like it's everyone knows the wrestlers backstories and old tag teams, just like everyone knows all the old bands everybody used to be in. They're both scenes.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's a scene. Yeah, definitely. Definitely a scene. But, you know, at this point, I think it's just so fun to go see what it's all about now. Obviously, like having like a different perspective, you know, seeing what goes on like behind the scenes is very interesting. But it's like it's crazy. Like how I mean, I have so much respect for what they do. Oh, yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So do I.
Speaker 3: She, she gets out of bed and she's like, like cracking.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Everything. She's like, did you hear that?
Speaker 1: I was like, yeah.
Speaker 3: Woke me up. She's like, ah, hear that? Everything cracks.
Speaker 2: Everything's. Yeah.
Speaker 3: That it's wild.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: Have you been in a ring?
Speaker 2: I've never been– well, I've been in one for Boy Meets World. I got to dance in a ring. So I've been inside one.
Speaker 3: But never– Did you really hit the ropes or anything?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: It hurts.
Speaker 2: It's painful.
Speaker 3: It hurts. My back was bloody. We filmed this episode in the ring. I was like– people don't realize like that– it's like wood. Yes. That's not like a trampoline. It's like wood and then those ropes are like boat wire. That's holding up the entire ring. It hurts.
Speaker 2: I know. It hurts. It is painful and they just throw themselves into it.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: Has having– a daughter changed your approach to songwriting at all?
Speaker 3: I cry a lot.
Speaker 2: Oh, made you more sensitive.
Speaker 3: A hundred percent. Well, I've always been sensitive. Uh, and then once you have a daughter, obviously that changes everything. And of course, I think my wife's like her fun thing for the morning is send me like, you know, like the daddy daughter videos. And I click that like, really, you want me to cry before 8 a.m.? Thanks a lot. Oh, my gosh. But yeah, I mean, everything now, obviously, everything you do, you know, once you have a kid in your brain is just like for them. Yeah. So when I'm writing a song, I'm like, okay, would she like this? Or like, I want to put her on it or like, you know, so now, and that started actually too. And once I got married, like, so everything from that point, I was like, okay, this is about my wife. Now it's going to be spun in like a different way. I try to make it interesting, but still I'm like, okay, what would my wife think? And then now it's like, you know, okay, my daughter, like, what would she think? And it's fun to like write her songs and, um, but you still gotta be yourself as well. So there there's, I have a new album coming out and there's, there's some naughty songs on there.
Speaker 2: But yeah.
Speaker 3: Not like, you know what I mean? Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I know what you mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I realized your wedding was one Carson daily segment away from being a true two thousands fever dream. Yellow card performed Jarrett from bowling for soup, Lance, Joey, and Chris took the stage for a mini in sync reunion. What do you think it is about our era of music that still resonates so much with people?
Speaker 3: I mean, it's so hard to pinpoint exactly what it was, but it's just that, like we talked about earlier, like that time period of songwriting, uh, every, you know, what's great about that is every song was different. Like every song was unique and like, it didn't have an exact sound. Yep. You know, like where, like some things nowadays you're like, okay, well any artists could do that song. I think most back then you're like, okay, only that artist could do that song. Like only yellow card could sing ocean Avenue, you know? Yep. uh you know only in sync could do those i'm actually did those songs so well it's like sometimes nowadays because you know there's just a lot of songwriters out there that write songs they go all right give it to this artist give it to this artist give to this artist so it's harder to have like an identity of like who you are as opposed to as an artist versus just being a singer and a performer um so i think then you're like those people who perform at the wedding like only those people could do that song because either they wrote it or you know it was just perfect for them and i think that's kind of what makes it so unique and special um yeah not like i don't want to like ever you know talk trash about like any of the artists today because there's still so many amazing artists but yeah i think they've just been a little bit lost in the sauce when it comes to like all right here's a hit song give it to that person right and it doesn't really like identify with who they are yes you know.
Speaker 2: I mean totally get it talking about trl you What a time to be alive. The best. What a time.
Speaker 1: The best.
Speaker 2: Did you have fun there or were you ever too nervous to have a good time?
Speaker 3: Never.
Speaker 2: Never.
Speaker 3: Never. It was always just so much fun. I remember being in the photo booth like it was yesterday. You know, it was like the day like Paris Hilton walking by the hallway and, you know, all those things that in my mind, you know, and it was delusional in my brain, but like I always belonged. I didn't. But like in my head, I did. I was like, this is where I'm, this is where I was watching one day. I was watching this show on television. I was like, I'm going to be on that show one day. And so in my brain, I belonged. So when I was there, it was like, this is my show. And that's kind of, you know, the way you need to be as an artist. Now, when you're not there and you're not on stage and you're not performing, that was the exact opposite. But when I was there, like you, you have to be in it and immersed in it. And I remember the first, the first time I was ever on TRL, because the dream was always going to the window.
Speaker 2: You know, like go to the window and like seeing all the fans down there.
Speaker 3: And so the first time I was ever on it, I was supposed to do an interview with Vanessa and Damien. And they're like, okay, so here's the spot, you know, go there. You're going to do an interview. And then you go to the window. I was like, well, put the window. I was like, oh, the fans out there, they've been there. I was like, I go to the window. They're like, no, no, you got to do an interview first. And then the second segment, after we go to a break, you'll go to the window. Now I blacked out and I just went straight to the window. And I could just hear all the producers like, No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. He went to the window.
Speaker 2: Follow him.
Speaker 3: He went to the window. So maybe I was nervous. I don't even remember. But I I blocked out everything. I just went straight to the window. I was like, they've been here all day. I just want to say hi. It was always like the dream. And so I went straight to the window and then I was supposed to perform in the studio. And I was like, OK, but all those people are down there. like now the studio obviously has like maybe 40 to 50 people in it. But I was like, but there's like, you know, thousands of people down there and they've been here, like slept overnight, whatever. First thing in the morning, I was like, I want to perform down there. They're like, well, that's not how this show works. I was like, But they're down there. So they ended up figuring it out. And so the first time I performed down there in the middle of the crowd, they brought like a wire down and it was just me and an acoustic guitar and a microphone. They brought it out in the middle of the crowd as I performed in Times Square with everybody.
Speaker 2: So great. So great. I love that you basically, again, kindly, but kept insisting, this is more who I am. To be down there with the people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to be with them.
Speaker 2: I want to be with them. No offense to the 40 or 50 people who probably are somebody's nieces and... nephews.
Speaker 3: And we did two songs. So I did one down there and then I did another one in the studio.
Speaker 2: So they still, and you were fair. Look at that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, obviously the music industry is so different. Do you ever wonder what, like a young Ryan Cabrera, if you were starting out today in 2026, what would, with all this pressure of social media and you know, what do you think you would enjoy having to rely on social media as much to get your career started?
Speaker 1: Never.
Speaker 3: It's just not, it's not, you know, like when we are, my thing was always write a great song. It was always the song first. And that's like what mattered to me. It was writing a song and then performing it live. And those were the two things that's all I really cared about. So, you know, the social media aspect, I love it. I think it's great. I'm glad that people get to, you know, kind of have a, you know, an in maybe on people's lives. I don't know. It's just not for me. It's not my thing. Um, I mean, we have to do it cause it's a tool that we can use. So I try not to look at it as like a, I have to do that, but we kind of have to, you know, I still, my mind is right. The best song perform it live. And those are the things that I care about the most, but I love having access to, to people. You know, if I have, if you have an idea, you're being like, Hey, what do you think about this? That's kind of cool that you can just put it out there and people instantly have it. Um, but I'm still kind of old school. I think it's sacred to just also have your life. And then also have your artist life and kind of put what you want out there. So I don't know. I'm Natalie Imbruglia. I'm torn.
Speaker 2: You're torn.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But if I had to do that from jump, I would never make it because I'm not a social media guy. Yeah, I barely even got on the Zoom. Just kidding on this thing. It took me like five minutes.
Speaker 2: In a related note, if 2026 Ryan could tell fresh off the plane Ryan one thing. Mm-hmm. Like one piece of advice, you today giving 2001 you a piece of advice, what would it be?
Speaker 3: Lay off the hairspray. You're going to lose it one day.
Speaker 2: You've got great, I mean, you've got fantastic hair.
Speaker 3: It's still kind of there, but I was just saying. Back then, you know, I don't know because I was just so in the moment. You know, like just enjoying the time that it's hard to like.
Speaker 2: That's so great that you were.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just be yourself. But I always was, you know, I enjoyed it. I was in the moment. I wasn't looking toward. Well, maybe at some point because the pressure comes on you like, OK, what's next? What's next? What's next? What's the next hit? You got to turn this in. What are you going to do next? And it's like, all right, well. you know, you guys worry about what's next. I just want to be here. And that's it. And I, you know, I feel like I did actually a pretty good job of doing that, but still there's always in your mind of like, okay, now I have to write another hit, you know, now I have to blah, blah, blah. So maybe a little less pressure of, of knowing that tomorrow, you're not going to think about all those things that you were thinking about the day before. So it's like, all right, go, go back to that and just be there.
Speaker 2: I love that. We are not done, guys. Ryan stuck around for a little bonus episode to hear a listener's embarrassing story, which is a very good one, by the way. And that will be released this Friday exclusively on the dedicated Danielle Fishel Show's podcast feed. We also get a sneak peek about some new Ryan Cabrera music. So just search for my name wherever you get your podcasts and make sure to subscribe so that you never miss another episode.
Speaker 3: Bye.
Speaker 2: Teen Beat is an iHeart podcast produced and hosted by Danielle Fishel. Executive producers, Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman. Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo. Producer and editor, Tara Subaksh. The theme song is by Mark Hoppus. Yes, that Mark Hoppus. Follow us on Instagram at Teen Beat Pod.