Speaker 1: Yeah, we had.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whoever lost the game matter where the other team's mascot helmet up here?
Speaker 1: So here we are question.
Speaker 2: As well though, Well uh that was now yeah he could he could say that was not part of the deal.
Speaker 1: So nice try George.
Speaker 3: Iowa state mascot helmet to give him you.
Speaker 2: I mean it was gonna be sent, yes, but we Yeah, no, that's not so.
Speaker 4: One play from last week, the second and eight play in the second quarter, you're right around midfield and you saw Mika coming off the edge and I don't know if you surprised him, but you kind of spun away from it. You found deebo. What was your recollection on that play? And did you fool him with with your eyes because he did not react till the very last second you spun out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I was just trying to go through the progression of the play, see the defense, and then he came off, you know, the edge pretty hot and so sort of like a last minute thing. I was just trying to get out and make a play. I feel like, you know, the momentum he had coming at me and stuff for me to just spin out of it. It was tough for him to make that kind of play. So and then obviously Debo hit him on the scramble drill. So it was a good play.
Speaker 1: On the fourth and one early.
Speaker 2: I know, maybe that's not your role to campaign to go for Was there any conversation like Kyle deciding to go for.
Speaker 1: It or was it right away? And then what was your thought process when you knew you were going for No, Yeah, it was right away, you know.
Speaker 2: He immediately started saying, you know, the personnel for the next play, and I was all for it. And then I think all of us were. You know, we wanted to you know obviously, you know, maintain the momentum, get the first down and try to score after our defense had just got a three and out to start the game. So once we had heard that, you know, we're gonna go for it, we were all all about it.
Speaker 4: It seemed where that as long as you've been in the quarterback now that you haven't faced the Ramps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in a sense, yeah, just uh, you know, the game planning, you know, last year the two games that we game plan form and then not playing and either of them and then here's my third time doing it, So it feels like I have played against them but I haven't, so yeah, I'm excited to.
Speaker 3: It's this week been like as far as just preparing to face them for.
Speaker 2: The person, yeah, I mean, obviously you got Aaron Donald, you got the scheme that they've been doing for a while on defense, and and so really we've taken you know, things that we've done in the past and whatnot, and you know, building building off those kinds of things. And and really for me, it's just gonna be about going out there, seeing the defense, making sure we're in the right uh play formation, all that kind of stuff, and keep it simple and just play ball, play our ball.
Speaker 1: And yeah, that's about it.
Speaker 3: Third and eleven. You scrabbled for seventeen up by twenty three with like seven fifty to go? Was everywhere all the coaches okay with that? Were you okay with that now when you think back on it, or is there some point where you think, no, maybe not just this time.
Speaker 4: Of the game.
Speaker 2: Was that the the scramble for first down come up? Yeah? Yeah, they were all for it. You know, we move the chains and at that point, man, like we're still trying to you know, put up points on the board and stuff and keep a drive going.
Speaker 1: So you know, everyone was pumped up that we.
Speaker 2: Were able to get a first down on third and eleven and hopefully score after that. So it wasn't something like, you know, don't scramble makes check it down. It's not like that, like here, we want to win and we're gonna do what it takes and hopefully, you know, when I'm in the right situation, I'll do what it takes.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, there's nothing more than that.
Speaker 4: I'll say yesterday that running ability in college doesn't always translate to the NFL. It's hard to predict sometimes. How how have you sort of experienced that? I mean, is it has it been easier to gain these yards.
Speaker 3: Than you might have expected to?
Speaker 4: I mean, how have you seen that transition?
Speaker 2: I feel like in the right you know, circumstances, situation, you know, you can pick up some yards in the NFL and stuff. I think in college, you know, something broke down. I feel like we saw more busted coverages and whatnot. So it's like, man, I can you know, pick up a bunch of yards here with my legs here?
Speaker 1: Obviously everyone is extremely.
Speaker 2: Fast, doesn't matter if they're the nose tackle or three tech like they're gonna be fast, They're gonna be explosive. And so for me, like I'm not always thinking run, run, run, it's you know, how can I dish it off to my playmakers for them to go get the yards? But in the right you know situation, if I see some green grass, okay, let's go.
Speaker 1: And I feel like.
Speaker 2: As I've played more and more, we've gotten a little bit better of a feel of it. I feel like at first I was a little tentative to you know, scramble and whatnot. But as I've played, it's all right, you know, the defense gives me ten yards.
Speaker 4: I'll say it what you were thinking last year when you guys went to Sofi and Christian had his first full week with the team and he you know, threw.
Speaker 5: A touchdown cop line and ran for one.
Speaker 4: Just kind of what you thought of that added element that was coming to the team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the second week with us, right, Yeah, So I remember the first week, you know with Kansas City. It's like, man, I was excited, just like, how we're gonna use Christian McCaffrey in our offense.
Speaker 1: You know, what are we gonna do?
Speaker 2: And so we had certain plays that he was able to come in halfway through the week and play. But then once he had a full week under his belt, you know, going into the Rams week and then you know, obviously his versatility to be able to use him like on the sideline.
Speaker 1: For myself, I was like, man, this is gonna be fun to watch. You know.
Speaker 2: I don't think anyone's really gonna expect what we're got to what we're about to do with him, and so we were all pumped about it. And then you know, when he actually performed and did what he did, we're like, man, this is gonna be fun, you know, having him in our offense now with everyone else.
Speaker 1: So it was exciting.
Speaker 3: Talked about it.
Speaker 4: This selflessness on this team.
Speaker 3: There's a bit of star power, you could say in the locker room. Do you think that that's unusual that everyone's just focused on the team and not on themselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's rare.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, you have all this you know, stardom on a team and whatnot, and for everyone to just put the ego aside and be like, hey, we want to win, we want to win super Bowl, and we're gonna do what it takes. And that's I think what we all know is what it takes is to know, you know, put the ego aside. If I don't get all these yards and catches and touchdowns for one game, but our other guy does, like, hey, I did my part to help you know win, And that's what that's what we all care about here. And really the leaders, the guys that have been here for a while have set that standard. It's not like just certain guys, Like we've all learned from the older guys that have come before us. So the culture, the organization here is like that's the standard.
Speaker 1: The more success you have.
Speaker 5: The more you force people to re examine what makes it quarterback successful in the NFL and what traits are the most important.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, it's a loaded question in a sense, like I think, you know, it comes down to obviously decision making, being able to make decisions quick, the right decision, and then obviously just being smart with the ball.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I feel like if you can just do those things and do it, you know, the play callers asking of you and not doing too much, then I mean I think you can help put the team in a successful position. And so that's something that i've you know, just try to remind myself of and you know, not trying to do too much, not trying to be a superhero and do everything, but make the right decision every single play and do it consistently. And so, I mean, I don't necessarily know if that's something that people now are like asking themselves if they're you know, they're gonna go draft a quarterback in late.
Speaker 1: Rounds and whatnot.
Speaker 2: But that's sort of how I do it, and I guess it works.
Speaker 4: So for you to throw throw away a ball like and Kyle, I guess went over and talked.
Speaker 2: To maybe make that decision if that's not there, is it hard for you to to say, let's just check it out of the mount's here? Yeah, I mean I feel like, you know, growing up playing football that stuff, it's always been like, man, I can always have a chance, you know, in a play, even if it's not there. And so sometimes to be able to just surrender for a play, that's sort of tough, Like, man, I got to throw the ball away and lose second down to play third down now, So you know, sometimes there's certain situations where it's like, man, I feel like I can do more.
Speaker 1: But you know, that's what.
Speaker 2: We preach and that's what they believe, and I'm all for it. Like it's it's about playing smart with the ball and if we have to punt and give it back to our defense, like I'm all for it. You know that we got a great defense, So it's you know, picking and choosing your battles with that not even.
Speaker 5: Harder, just given the talent level of guys around you, knowing that if I can just get this ball to this guy in space, it's something big.
Speaker 3: Could happen here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like, I mean, we all know that, Like if I can get the ball to Christian deebo Ba George, you know, on a two yard pass, and then they can make something crazy happen. So I feel like it's definitely always in the back of my mind. But at the same time, it's like we're all human. They can get tackled or something crazy can happen if I do try to force it, So just throw it away. So yeah, some of them continuing to learn.
Speaker 3: Seventeen yard scramble. You down the w you give a first down signal, you have a big smile. Are you feeling at that time? And did your teammates enjoy enjoy that move.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think at the moment, in the moment, it's like, man, I'm going through my progressions. I'm trying to you know, hit my guys first, and then I just felt like I saw green grass and then to be able to split two defenders and get a first down at that point in the game. You know, I'm just trying to, you know, bring some juice and energy to the guys, and I feel like they like, you know, seeing stuff like that, and it was real. You know, in the moment, I was I'm just I'm gonna do this because I see my receiver's doing it. So I had a little fun with it and you know, just trying to enjoy football.
Speaker 4: What was the redaction in the film room when you guys watched Ray Ray and I on the on the Christian touchdown. What we're guys saying, because I mean that was extraordinary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that was awesome.
Speaker 2: I mean, at the first time we watched it, just everybody's you know, the sounds that they make, like Ba's block first, everyone going crazy about that, and then Ray Ray coming run around the corner. You can see Ray Ray starting to run and then everyone's like hyping him up. And when he made his block, everyone was going crazy. So yeah, that kind of stuff, man, that's what we're talking about, like about, you know, not having ego, being selfless, being able to make blocks like that, even though those are guys that catch ball, score touchdowns, all that kinds of stuff, but being willing to block in the run game, down the field. We all feed off it, and so we got to maintain it and continue that.
Speaker 5: That's full college quarterbacks so often or fast tracked to the pros, you weren't and now all that experiences look at as a tremendous asset. But when you came out of college, did NFL teams look at it, look at it as an asset or did they were they wondering like why weren't you able to leave college earlier?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think a little bit of both.
Speaker 2: You know, some guys look at it like, man, you got a lot of experience, You got a lot of reps, different scenarios, all that kind of stuff, which is great and that's what they like. But at the same time, yeah, there was some doubt like, all right, if you are that good, why'd you you know, why'd you stay four years? You started your freshman year how would you not How were you not ready after your third year? You know, there's definitely some questions and stuff that they ask and they push, but again, like that's not up to me. You know, that's something that they do ask and I think that they look at but uh, you know, for me, I.
Speaker 1: Was able to get four good years in it.
Speaker 2: I always say it, and all those reps and stuff, I feel like, you know, add it up and help me, you know, for me to be ready when my opportunity was to come.
Speaker 3: I was talking about how much you enjoys the challenges, squeak of being Matt Stafford and you know, sort of simulating him for the defense and how important he thinks that is. Curiously, your reflection on how big that role was for you last year when you were the number two guy stimulating the other team, and how seriously did you take it?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, it was huge. You know.
Speaker 2: I feel like obviously you guys see all the videos like the no look passes and looking off linebackers and stuff. Honestly, when you're like, you know, trying to replicate what an NFL quarterback, starting quarterback does, and you try to do that at practice, you sort of pick up on some stuff and then you sort of learn things and honestly add stuff to your toolbox.
Speaker 1: I feel like, so that was one thing.
Speaker 2: And then obviously being able to you know, selflessly, you know, sort of put your stuff aside and try to you know, emulate the other team. You know, for fred Dre like, that's what it was really about, you know, is giving those guys a real legit look. And so you know whenever we're you know, last year, when I was on the sideline seeing our defense kill it, I'm like, shoot, you know, maybe I had a little part of helping them, you know, do that, you know, have have a great week and whatnot. So it was huge for me and honestly it made me better to shoot. I mean last year, Nah, I don't want to compare myself to my homes, but yeah, I don't know, yeah close, yeah,