Speaker 1: Ola, Latino USA listener, it's me Maria no Josa, but you might have also heard me on another Futuro Award winning show. It's called In the Think. I know a lot of you have you know, it's where we talk politics unfiltered. Well, In the Think was on pause for the past year, but I have great news. In the Think is back, just in time for the presidential elections, and let me tell you we are better than ever. We have an amazing lineup of rotating co hosts that join me on this season, political scientist doctor Christina Greer, journalist Paula Ramos, and actress and producer Judy Reyes, and together we're going to help you break down this unprecedented political moment, what it means for us, for our communities, for our futuros. So we think you're going to find our conversations really interesting, Dear Latino USA listeners. So today, on this episode, we're going to bring you the first episode of In the Thicks new pop up season. Now. In this episode, we unpacked the recent and likely only presidential debate between Vice President Kamala Harris and former president and convicted fellon Donald Trump. Enjoy in the thick and be sure to subscribe to our show wherever you get your podcasts in the thick, don't forget and thank you so much for listening and for being a supporter of Futuro and Latino USA. We just get asked yes and as always yes, Hey, what's up everybody? It's Marie no Hoosa And if you are listening to this, that means you've heard the news. Yo Itt is back for a pop up season. You know, we're gonna be breaking down this unprecedented political moment and what it means for us, for our futures. So I have a masked an incredible group of all star co hosts this season that are going to help us unpack the news and go beyond the political noise. You know, we're going to be dropping some f Okay, maybe not all of us, but we're gonna start introducing our new co host with the amazing Chrissy Greer, who is my fellow Birder and Murder. She is a professor of political science at Fordham University. Chrisy Greer was, I was up.
Speaker 2: Ah, I'm so happy to be back together, reunited and it feels so good.
Speaker 1: And also joining us is the wonderful journalist Bao La Ramos frequently on the air at MSNBC and Antelemundo, and Paula, It's great to have you.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm so happy to be here.
Speaker 1: And of course the wonderful actor producer Judy Reyes. You may have seen her in everything from Jane the Virgin Succession and Scrubs. Yeah, oh, I'm so happy to have you on the show. Judy, Welcome, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 4: We've been trying to get together for so long and I'm honored to be here.
Speaker 1: So this is politics Unfiltered. We're going to get into it. It's a challenging day, right because we're acording on September eleventh, and we're recording also on the heels of a pretty incredible historic debate between a far right wing so called billionaire, Donald Trump and Kamala Harris, the first woman of color to get the Democratic Party's nomination for president. So we're going to start by doing one of my favorite things with itt, which is a temperature check. We're going to start with you, Chrissy, how are you feeling on this day?
Speaker 2: Thanks Maria. I always love the temperature check. You know, we're in this historic moment. We're On the one hand, I'm very excited. Kamala Harris is only the fourth woman to ever get to this sort of level. We had Geraldine Farr in eighty four New Yorker, we had Sarah Palin in two thousand and eight, we had Hillary Clinton in twenty sixteen, and now we have Kamala Harris. So it's a historic moment, obviously, but it's also frustrating for me because she's neck and neck with someone who's wholly incompetent, and so many women, especially women of color, know that feeling of standing next to a man where it's like, I can't even believe in the same sentence together the ire that I have for some of the indignities that Kamala Harris had to stand through, while this man is just he's an automatic lying machine. And so our qualifications are better than any presidential candidate we've seen in modern history. Donald Trump had zero qualifications, zero elected office before he stumbled up per USU. And so I'm hoping that as America evolves, Sho'll show herself to be who we hope that she can be. She's never been that way before. There's a lot of promise obviously in this country. There's a lot of beauty in this country. As Marie and I know, we're.
Speaker 5: Going to convert Paula and Judy into our burden cult.
Speaker 1: So there's a lot of.
Speaker 2: You know, and there's so many amazing people in this country, and so I'm hoping that November fifth goes the way that it should and it could.
Speaker 5: For our sakes. And I guess that's where I am right now. Excited.
Speaker 2: I'm always optimistic because I teach the youth of America, but I'm definitely frustrated as a woman of color having to sit through some of this.
Speaker 1: Judy, what's your temperature? How you doing?
Speaker 4: I just can't believe that we aren't like int No, you see these numbers, you see these polls.
Speaker 5: But I am hopeful.
Speaker 4: I think particularly the youth, are really not having it anymore.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Chrissy has labeled Donald Trump the lying machine. I actually went earlier this morning on social media and I said, you know, you can't really win a debate with a pathological liar, and no one really wants to call a former president a pathological liar. Betro I see is Baola Comuta? What's your temperature?
Speaker 6: Check?
Speaker 3: I woke up to a text from a former friend from the Hillary campaign, and I think it reflects how I feel. She said at nine am in the morning post debate, she said, this is how I wanted to feel after a debate nine years ago. So I'm thinking of everyone that was working in the Hillary Clinton campaign right over ten years ago that was almost waiting for that moment on stage between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, and we never got to see that. And I think what people have been here learning since was this assertion of power. Now, was someone that was able to not just convince in a very complicated country that she is in fact president show and that she can in fact lead, which she one percent did that, but I think do something that's even harder at this point after five plus years of lies and the lying machine and the insults, which is literally guide America back to reality. Like that is the hardest job and the hardest challenge that the vice president was up against ground people back to reality through the conspiracies, through the noise, and through the lies and the insults. And I think she was able to achieve that. And so I think in a way it feels and I'm cautious when I say this because it feels similar to twenty sixteen or there's this optimism and there's momentum, and many folks also feel like Hillary Clinton won those debates. And so I'm cautious when I say this, but it does almost feel like the beginning of the end of trump Ism, right. I think everyone saw that, and now it's kind of up to the trial is now back on to Christy's point, it's not back on America to figure out like, is this really who we are? And that'll at the end of the day, that's that's on us.
Speaker 1: Agree with everything that you all have said, and as an immigrant and we have what we have. Baola, you know you were born in the United States, first gen Yepoula's first gen Judy, you were also born in the United States, right, Yes, I was Chrissy YouTube.
Speaker 5: I'm like twentieth gen over here.
Speaker 1: So okay, so I'm la. We have to talk about this insanity that we saw in the debate. Trump started talking about this completely untrue story that Haitian immigrants who are in Ohio are eating pets. It's a horrible thing.
Speaker 3: It's insane.
Speaker 1: I know, this is what he said.
Speaker 7: And look at what's happening to the towns all over the United States. In Springfield, they're eating the dogs, the people that came in, They're eating the cats, they're eating they're eating the pets of the people that live there.
Speaker 1: The conversation suddenly went from January sixth to let's not talk about the people who took over the capitol. Let's talk about the people who are coming in on the southern border. What the fuck I have to say that. The problem for me is that Kamala did not one hundred percent lay down the law and say that is not true. In fact, she laid out a pretty conservative vision on the issue of immigration. And here's what she had to say.
Speaker 8: Let me say that the United States Congress, including some of the most conservative members of the United States Senate, came up with a border security bill, which I supported. And that bill would have put fifteen hundred more border agents on the border to help those folks who are working there right now over time trying to do their job. It would have allowed us to stem the flow of fentanyl coming into the United States. That bill would have put more resources to allow us to prosecute transnational criminal organizations for trafficking and guns drugs and human beings.
Speaker 1: So I guess in my worst moments, I'll just be like, my entire career was worth nothing if in the year twenty twenty four, in a presidential election, what we are only talking about is how immigrants are destroying the country. It's okay, what is happening. I hate this, it's a nightmare. But then it's no, it's true. So I want you, first, Boula, if you could break down how you saw the conversation around immigration in the debate and what were your takeaways.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean two things. One Trump, I honestly thought I couldn't be more shocked at anything that he had to say. Like at this point, I think, unfortunately I've become so numb to the attacks. But the moment and I laugh because it's so sad now, but the moment that he said something along the lines of, you know, they referring to the vice president, they want transgender operations on illego aliens.
Speaker 5: At that point, have you seen the memes, Pala.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, the memes are incredible.
Speaker 5: From the moment it ended too Twitter never failed.
Speaker 3: But I think that's the point. You see Twitter and TikTok and you see the countries pushing back, and at what I was missing in that moment was a Democratic candidate that is able to take that conversation and do what she did so beautifully and so well with the issue of abortion, which was humanize this issue, which is bring back humanity and dignity to millions and millions of women and vulnerable people. And I wanted that when it came to immigration. Right here you have an incredible presidential candidate with an incredible immigrant story, with an incredible example of what it is to achieve the American dream, with an incredibly unique opportunity to take this narrative and bring it back to what it always should be, which is define what it means to be an immigrant in this country, bring back that dignity, and talk about not just the border, but talk about the over eleven million and documented people that have been in this country waiting for decades and decades to have a moment when they finally too are what they have always been, which are Americans. And so I think there's the slice of the population. I'm talking about the mixed status families. I'm talking about the youth vote in Nevada and Arizona and Georgia in Florida. I think there's a slice of people that were looking at her yesterday, yes, with optimism and inspiration, but they're still missing that. No, they they need something else to hold on to.
Speaker 1: I mean, all of your judy that what we would want Kamala Harris to do, what I was expecting her to do in that moment on the issue of immigration, is to turn to him and say, like in his face, you're a disgrace on the conversation of immigration and immigrants. It needs to stop and make that so clear and instead not Basl which was hard.
Speaker 4: She had to do so little to be honest, right, all she had to do is expose him and watch him fall apart. She had the space to stay conservative for the sake of the voters that this debate was actually really for. And we also know that she is conservative on immigration, and we can't kid ourselves because that's not a surprise. It's disappointing because she was very cautious on all those things that are really important to the left leaning and liberal democratic side of the voters. But she's pretty much got us in our pocket for just realistic reasons. So that's not who she's really trying to reach.
Speaker 3: Out to.
Speaker 1: I found it interesting that the day after the debate even the New York Times basically said Kamala won the debate. And I'm not so sure one hundred percent that you can say it was a slam dunk. I think for the people who believe in Donald Trump, his kind of three word sentences that he repeats and barks at you, that authoritarian presence, it works for people. But Chrissy, can you talk a little bit about Kamalist strategy. How do you think that she did in the sense of trying to get under Donald Trump's skin, trying to remain completely composed. What did you think about this ability that she was trying to bait Donald Trump?
Speaker 5: So, yeah, I'm with you, Maria.
Speaker 2: On the one hand, I wish that she would have had some knockouts in the sense that you know, and granted I'm looking for different things, right, I want her to look at him and say, so, you hate immigrants so much, then what do you say to your children where four of your five children have immigrant mothers?
Speaker 5: Like, what is that?
Speaker 2: He's only what second gen I believe, so turn it on him and help him see it.
Speaker 5: He won't see it.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I wanted her to be a little stronger on abortion. Her scripted talking points solid right, Yes there are stories, Yes there are families. From the DNC, I wanted her to just break from the script and just be like, think about women, think about your sons, right, since some white women can't seem to get on board. So it's like, don't just think about a woman right to choose. It's like you're saying grown women can't make decisions for themselves. Hey, for those of you who are still on the fence, think about your sons. If the Republican Party is saying that birth.
Speaker 5: Begins at six weeks, guess who's on the hook, You and your family. Think about it that way. If you want to talk about economics, just.
Speaker 2: Get a little less John Carrey and a little more let me talk to you in your three word salad. Then if we need to just get brass tacks, because if money is the issue, then let's do it. I do worry about the center right movement of the entire Democratic Party.
Speaker 5: So I wrote a piece in The.
Speaker 2: Times in twenty twenty one that said, essentially Kamala as a track right. When Joe Biden was like, I want you to be in charge of voting and COVID and the border and immigration.
Speaker 3: And the lasting all the easy things, and was.
Speaker 2: Like, and the only thing that's not on there is Midley's piece. And then it was like, hey, be in charge to me, Liz. Fast forward. She had a portfolio that we haven't been able to figure out in fifty sixty years. Because if money is the reason why everybody goes to the polls, which it is, Latinos don't necessarily go to the polls for immigration, they go to the polls for economic issues. Black people don't go to the polls because of social justice to go to the poles for economic issues. Everybody goes to the polls for economic issues. All these issues we know can be economic issues if framed properly. But I wish that she would have just spoken a little more plainly. But I understand the complexity and that tightrope that all of us, all four of us, have walked, where we can't be as basic as Donald Trump. She has to show that she's got an elevated, nuanced understanding of these incredibly complex ideas. Is it fair that she's supposed to solve the immigration debacle that Democrats and Republicans have created. She's supposed to solve it in the next three months. You know, you have so many Democrats who it's like, well, she doesn't solve it, then I'm not voting. And it's like, really, because we've seen what Donald Trump is interested in doing, and he said at his rallies, I'm not talking about it he said in twenty sixteen, or what he said in twenty twenty, what he said in twenty twenty.
Speaker 5: Four, He's like, I want everybody out.
Speaker 2: And because his idea of America is whiteness, I kind of wish I know that that would have been the headline. Lharis hates America. She said it's whiteness. But his idea of America is whiteness. And so this idea, when she's so divisive, he is the divisive one. He is the one who doesn't understand economics. He's the one who doesn't understand terrorists. He's like all the things he says.
Speaker 5: About Joe Biden's lazy.
Speaker 2: It's like, sir, you golf what sixty percent of your presidency? Thank goodness, because God forbid you were actually at the office, you would have caused more damage. So I'm glad that you're lazy. I'm glad that you watched TV. He's already said he doesn't read. The anti intellectualism of this man is what frustrates me, and the expectation that Kamala Harris is inheriting, which she did beautifully lay out, like you left this mess, we are now the cleanup woman. So the only thing that sort of encourages me is that black women and women of color, we tend to get elected when people need a cleanup woman. I wrote a paper years ago about the first black mayor of every major city is when the city was falling off a cliff. So that's how you get your first black mayor. And then we get Barack Obama. The country's about to fall off an economic cliff and drag the rest of the world down with it. I'm hoping, I'm hopeful that we are sadly in a clean up stage. But people are like, Okay, we need a cleanup woman. But the real issue it ain't us guys. Like the data has shown white women do not.
Speaker 5: Vote for the Democratic Party.
Speaker 2: Candidate Paula knows better than all of us here, Hillary Clinton, she didn't get white women. They've only voted for the Democratic Party candidate two times since nineteen fifty two when we started collecting the data. That was in sixty four with LBJ my favorite president, and that was in nineteen ninety six second term Bill Clinton. Other than that, white women vote with white men overwhelmingly Republican.
Speaker 5: It's them.
Speaker 3: You don't think this will change that though, Chris, you after a Rovia way.
Speaker 2: This is why I keep saying put abortion at the top of the agenda, because abortion is an economic issue. You making me add people to my family is an economic issue.
Speaker 5: When jade Van says, oh, women don't.
Speaker 2: Care about that. Women care about who they're feeding. Women are the ones primarily who go to the grocery store. They're the ones who they're not credited with doing the budgets of the families, but they're the ones who have to figure out how many mouths we have to feed. So I really hope the Democrats and hammer home the economic repercussions of these draconian policies of Republicans. And last night, I think Kamala Harrison, she's still an introductory phase even though she's been vice president. We all know a lot of people are like, I don't know who this woman is, and so I think this is why the short runway could be good, because it doesn't give some people enough time.
Speaker 5: To sit with their racism. It's ooh, she did say something that's.
Speaker 2: Interesting, and we don't have time to dig through her fathers and Marxist Really, that's what I was hoping. Kamala Harris was like, I know, we don't want to start talk about daddy's out here. We don't want to start talking about daddy's because we got pictures of your daddy.
Speaker 5: We got pictures like your daddy had a clan rally. I know we are not talking about daddy's up in here. He doesn't even seem worried about that either, because his supporters Judy his supporters. That's what he was giving them.
Speaker 2: Remember in twenty sixteen, he said, I'm the silent majority. Y'all feel this. Y'all think you all look around, you think it's a little too brown. You look around, too many people speaking Spanish at your grocery store. You look around, it's like too many black people being uppitty with these fancy degrees.
Speaker 5: Look at Obama and his friends, right, So he was giving.
Speaker 3: Them that you're so right. He was feeding them that the entire night.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing that can also happen, which is that progressive folks will also get angry with Kamala for not stepping up to the plate and saying, oh, well, here's what we have to say about Gaza. It needs to stop right now. We need to change the conversation on immigration. Oftentimes people are like, oh my god, we're so worried if she's going to alienate the white vote. But is there the possibility that she actually also alienates more progressive voters.
Speaker 3: I think you're seeing her play that very delicate political balance. It's actually at times painful to watch. Yeah, because I think in her core, I do believe that she wants something different from President Biden. I do truly believe that she fundamentally believes in the humanity and dignity of everyone that's in Kaza.
Speaker 1: So we happen to have our producer, Ariel Goodman, who is based in Philadelphia, which is where the debate took place, and outside of the convention center there were hundreds of protesters who were sharing their voices, and so Arielle was able to talk to one New Jersey resident who was at the protest name Safe, and this is what Safe had to say.
Speaker 6: We keep being told that we have to vote blue no matter who, and that democracy is on the line. But it's not a democracy if we can't stop our government from backing a genocide. My message to the candidates is, neither of you have ever actually earned any of our votes. I'm Palestinian, I've lost I don't even know how many family members, and there I risk every single day wherever they are.
Speaker 3: I hope that in the next couple of weeks you'll see her kind of pushing the limit. But I think unfortunately, or fortunately, I think they're counting on the very same formula that they counted on in twenty twenty, which is at the end of the day, the moment that people are able to vote early vote on November, it'll come down to this. Now, it'll come down to hopefully people's ability to perceive the existential threat of democracy just being on the verge of a crisis. And I think it'll come down to that. It's an interesting question of what will that work again. I think as a party it's important for voters to push their candidates like I think it's good for the undecided vote. And the uncommitted vote to push and push, because that is essentially how democracies work better. That's how you push the party to be a better party, and that's how you mobilize people by giving them a reason to believe in something. And so I hope that she'll deliver on that, but I think at the end of the day, they're counting on the same formula now in the face of Donald Trump, and people will rise to that threat.
Speaker 1: You all know that one of my deep critiques of the moment is the inability of our friends and colleagues in the mainstream media to really understand what it is to be dealing with an authoritarian, with someone who uses propaganda and lies. And so of course we were watching really closely with what was happening with the anchors at ABC, Lindsey Davis and David Muir. I also didn't know that David muirr was the most watched evening news anchor.
Speaker 3: But okay, okay, and he's over fifty and I'm I'm obviously the ggest person in this whole chat, but he's also in my group chat. Everyone was just who is this man?
Speaker 5: Pala? Just to help you feel better? In my group chat.
Speaker 2: Everyone's just like, I have a crush on Paleramos. You can have muor in your group chat. Paleramos is at the top of my group chet. Everybody's got a crash on Bala.
Speaker 5: Just to let you know.
Speaker 3: I love that, all right, all right, I'm blushing.
Speaker 1: So the question is that, yes, they did do a slightly better job of fact checking certain moments with Donald Trump, but we also witnessed that too many times Donald Trump would start speaking when his microphone was off, when he wasn't supposed to be speaking, and then they would open the mic and let him talk, which I was like, why are you doing this? Why are you doing this now? According to MSNBC, Kamales Harris spoke a total of twenty three times and Donald Trump spoke a total of thirty nine times, almost twice as much. Trump immediately came out and saying, oh my god, it was three against one and he was being bulldozed and all that. But I want to ask, and we're going to start with you, Judy, like how do you moderate and actually, as a Dominican woman who understands because having had an authoritarian dictator in the DR through Hillo, which everybody always talks about if you're a Dominican, what do you think is the role of journalism the mainstream media in this particular moment in managing someone like Donald Trump.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I think they did more than I expected in terms of when they fact checked him on the abortions after the babies were born and stuff.
Speaker 5: I was impressed.
Speaker 4: I was like, oh, okay, okay, but he is impossible to keep up with. But no matter how much they try to stay on top of him, he's just going to go in there. I noticed that, and I resented that they kept opening his mind. Yeah, I don't think that it hurt her. I think that at the end she figured it out. I heard somebody's quote not too long ago who said, no one knows their oppressor better than the oppressed. So she just figured him out real quick, and Okay, he was getting more of the opportunities to talk, and she just let him bury himself with everything he was saying. And it put her in that position to not need to do a lot more in terms of being more aggressive or original. So there is that room, I agree with you, Paula, where she still has to prove herself. Is she going to do it in the press. I don't think he's going to debate her again. Oh no, do you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You think it's over, You think that's it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he is going to spend his time talking about how it was three against one.
Speaker 5: He's not going to talk to her anymore.
Speaker 2: While the debate was going on, my students are in a WhatsApp chat, so they were essentially live chatting the debate, and I just watched the comments and they're just to Judy's point, they're seeing Donald Trump unravel and they're like, this guy looks he's just old and now he's rambling. And so I'm watching the debate from my political science lens of a black woman at a certain age. And then I'm also watching the debate with this running commentary of eighteen to twenty year olds who were watching it, and they were more impressed with what Kamala Harris is saying, because the hyperbole of Donald Trump gets really exhausting.
Speaker 1: Talking about media and journalism, Baula, Yeah, I mean, there's no way that we can put our heads in the sand and not talk about the fact that your dad, Horre Ramos is leaving Unibisi and having just been in southern Florida doing a piece about mis and disinformation aimed at Spanish speakers, the fact that your dad Ramos is leaving Univision is a real punch, a gut punch in terms of providing information. But I guess for you this is emotional, right, it's your dad, but it's also like a major story in every mainstream media. So your thoughts about what we do with the loss of a really important voice and how obviously you're feeling part of the void. But it's film garpeim Garpe.
Speaker 3: Sees what I mean. You know, my dad has been in Univision for over forty years, I mean my entire life, No since since I was born and grew up watching him in that studio, and for thirty eight years he co anchored in the dcio Nivision, And so I think it was so incredible to watch the stories and the news and the love he received, and more than anything, because it kind of affirmed the legacy that he leaves behind, which is the trust that he was able to instill in a community of Ladinos and a grand stuff for decades, had few voices, now yours included Maria and his and few others that when were there were nowhere else to watch, they went to NABC and then they trusted him. And so you're right, it is concerning because it leaves a void within a Spanish language media ecosystem that is trying to figure out if a shift to the right is the direction that they'll take. Clearly, there is an attempt, and I think that attempt started very clearly with endriquesseere Do's interview with Donald Trump, where there was no fact checking, there was no pushback, and like I said before, and maybe that is the beginning of a new chapter for when you be soon. The beautiful thing about my dad and every single person in this podcast is that people follow you. No, if they trust you, they will follow you anywhere.
Speaker 1: Christy, something that is bringing you joy, happy, smiling laughter? Is it a bird? I don't know what's making you happy?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 2: So I went to girl Scout camp and we would sing this song make new friends, but keep the old one is silver and the other's gold. And I'm super excited about this new podcast venture with you all. I've known Maria for years. I mean, I get to hang out with the Puellers Prize winner. I mean, come on, but I'm so excited to spend more time with you, Judy, more time with you, Paula.
Speaker 5: I have so much respect for you ladies.
Speaker 2: Even though the world is crazy, it's still just so much beauty out there. Physical beauty is Maria and I know and are tree hugging selves, but just there's so many great people who are working for good, and both of you, Judy and Paula, I know in your work you all do that. Maria is like my partner in crime. There's always room for new friends, new conversations, and to just cherish the old friendships that you have. So thank you, Maria for putting a new gang together. I feel like we're a new band and I'm excited.
Speaker 1: Okay, Paula, what's bringing you something? Joy? Happy, smiling?
Speaker 3: Two things? One, to wake up to a Taylor Swift endorsement, regardless if you're a Democrat or a Republican, Like, how incredible it is to think about these like young gen zers that have suddenly this person that they absolutely adore and idolize. And so I was just thinking about how much that must sting if you're like in the Trump camp right now. That brings me somewhat joy. And then to Chrissy's point, I'm often used to speaking in these sort of limited spaces. Now on the TV is so fast, and being on the road is so fast, and even when you write, it's so isolating. And so to be able to ma, yeah, you told me this would happened, not to be able to just be myself and talk and learn from these incredible three women, and wow, first time. So thank you, oh in the thick ist bringing you joy.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'm so happy.
Speaker 3: And I just started.
Speaker 5: Look at that Judy, I have to concur and agree.
Speaker 4: I feel honored and I feel a great opportunity here to learn. My kid watched the debate yesterday and they were on a thread with their friends. My kid is friends, and to see how invested they were and how entertained and how amused and how impacted, how relieved, and how everything went and unfolded. They were running around giggling, texting with their friends, showing me means and all that shit that makes a difference to me, and it reminds me what an impact this person in the world has on every single person, just like everything that Trump has brought and how it's just manifested it self into everything, not only in this country and people all over the world. Is really depressing. And I feel like everything that continues to happen with this democratic endorsement and with Kamala almost won't let us give up. And it's created space and opportunity and inspiration. And I think, particularly for Latinos, no matter how conservative or liberty is or becomes, I woke up excited to be excited. Does that make sense? Yeah, I think we're good. We're good because you start making connections with people. That creates the conversation that motivates people to make phone calls and volunteer and vote and you know, just drop it. Don't forget to vote just before you leave a store or something like that, and that that matters.
Speaker 1: I just want to end by saying, when In the Thicks started in twenty sixteen, we always were very clear about wanting to talk about joy within the context of politics, joy within the work that we do. The truth is that because of the Kamala Harris campaign, joy has actually become part of a campaign. And we're like, okay, I just want y'all to know In the Thicks started it first, though. There you go that's it. In the Thics pop up season is supported in part by the Hispanic Federation and Futuro Media's Friends of Democracy fund Yo. You can also join us send some money to that fun Fun. Sustainers include Dipadonde, April Gasler, and garmin Rita Wong. Special Things too to Rebecca Beltran and Christy Blackman. Dear listener, remember go to Apple Podcasts to rate and review us. We need those reviews, We need those ratings. Come on, come on, come on. Also, remember you can listen to In the Thick on all major podcast platforms. Check us out on the web at intheth dot org, follow us on X Yeah X, and Instagram at in the Thick Show, Like us on Facebook, Tell your friends and you know, as soon as we're on TikTok, you know we're gonna let you know about that too. In the Thick is produced by Ariel Goodman, Ines Renique and Francis Poon. Our executive producers are myself and Benny Leiramidez Our audio engineers Andy Bosnak, Our marketing managers Lis Luna. Special things to Gustavo Garcia of Colibriti Workshop for recording support on this episode. Yo, people, we are back and I'm so happy. Bye.
Speaker 6: The opinions expressed by the guests and contributors in this podcast are their own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Futuromedia or its employees.