Speaker 1: Birdland.
Speaker 2: Welcome in another edition of Birdland Territory. I believe we're up to show thirty two. It's moving fast and this season's flying along. The Eros are about a week away from the actual midpoint eighty one games, so at the thirty four and thirty nine, getting ready to start this West coast trip as we take this Tuesday morning before they play game one at Seattle, they'll also play the Dodgers, they'll also play the Angels. Challenging trip. So guys, we want to start today with Gunnar Henderson. We've talked about Gunner a lot and a lot of analysis, a lot of words. Here what it comes down to in the numbers right now. At his peak performance, which I think if we look at his track record was obviously twenty twenty four, fourth for the MVP. That year he was among the best players in baseball with an eight ninety three OPS. So now he's seven point fifteen via the stats of twenty twenty six. That's about league average. Actually seven seventeen is MLB average OPS Gunners at seven fifteen, But we all know we expect better than that, and he does too. So for me, it comes down to some basic things, not to oversimplify it. He's chasing too much, leading to too many strikeouts, leading to fewer hard hit balls. That that doesn't explain at all, But that's a lot of what's going on right now. He's not hitting right handers as well. There's just challenges for him. Long winded open to say, is this who he is this year? Or with more than half the season to go, can this get fixed? If that's the proper word.
Speaker 3: Here, Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 4: I think we like we watching him on a daily basis, it's everything is there. All the components to him to be the player we expect are there. I just think he's not getting the results right now, and I think a lot of it has to do with not staying up the middle of the field. I think when Gunner's at his best, he's using the left side of the field, going left center field, and we really haven't seen that, I feel like, in over a month now watching him, it's been really poor happy. We saw that earlier in the season too, when he hit a bunch of homers to start the year. He was really poor happy and we were kind of, you know, wary of that because we know he's at bet he's at his best when he's going to center and left center, and I feel like it's just been really poor happy this year. And I feel like he's just too good of a hitter to only use one side of the field, and he's been working a lot. They've shown a lot of clips of him early doing work in the cage with the hitting coaches, and I just feel like it's going to turn around. He's got way too much talent, and I just I would love to see him just start using the middle of the field, go left center again, because I feel like that's really when he gets locked in.
Speaker 5: It's it's been a really bizarre year for Gunner, right. You see these flashes, You see these glimpses of him, Okay, maybe he's turning it around, and then he's back down again and he just hasn't been able to really sustain it. But Steve, you mentioned it last year, and Granny he was heard, and we know he had the intercostal strain during spring training and then he had the shoulder impingement which rapped him of his power. But he really struggled against left handed pitching last year, where this year he's got a higher ops against left handed pitching. Than right handed pitching. And one of the stats that really jumped out to me and Steve when we were doing the show locally on the fan, when he is a head in the count. When Gunnar Henderson is ahead in the count this year, he's batting one forty six and has an ops of six forty six. And you compare that to his career average when he's ahead in the count, he hits two eighty one with an ops over one thousand. So it's a night and day difference there for Gunner. Now, if you are looking at it from a glass half full perspective, this month of June, while he's not exploding, he's not taken off.
Speaker 6: He does have more walks than strikeouts. He's got nine walks to eight strikeouts. You have seen the on base go up a lot is on basis four oh seven in the month of June.
Speaker 5: So maybe he's seeing the ball better, but he's just not doing the consistent damage with his back.
Speaker 2: A lot of things we can look at. I looked at hard hit percentage when Gunner was in the top three percent of baseball in twenty twenty four Elite. Now he's sixty eighth in percentage, So still a little bit above average, but not elite like he once was, and exit velocity is down this year. A lot of things are just different for him. Here's what you have to remember. He was eighth one year for the MVP. He was fourth the next year. He's been the Rookie of the Year. He's been a Silver Slugger, he's been an All Star. He's got a career eight fifteen ops. Even with the slower numbers this year that obviously dragged that down from opening day eight fifteen. He's all star caliber talent. I just gotta believe it's going to find its way there at some point. But when you get seventy games in, I can see where why doubters have the doubts they have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's definitely not a small sample size to this point.
Speaker 4: And like Tim said, I think this month his approach has definitely gotten better. I just think when you look at struggles against righties, when you're a lefty hitter, a lot of times they're going to exploit you inside. We had talked about this in the series of Miami. It's probably six weeks ago now. At this point, he was really getting beat inside by fastballs on righties. And to me, when I'm doing a scarting report and I'm going after a hitter and I'm trying to think, how am I going to go after a lefty? I think, to me, it's he's getting beat to the inside part of the plate with fastballs and then they're using the slider to his back foot to really exploit him trying to.
Speaker 3: Pull the ball.
Speaker 4: And I think all this stuff is just kind of the perfect storm at this point, and I think it's kind of making that adjustment. I think a lot of times pitchers are really wary to go inside on him, But now right now seeing the show, I think that might be taking away what I was just saying before with the up the middle and the other way is because if you can attack inside, it's really hard to stay inside out of the baseball when you're not able to get to that pitch and really exploit those pitches he used to do a lot of damage on. He would always say balls into the flag court and Oriel Park, campy yards, and it's just just not seeing him get to that pitch as much. And I really think pitchers are just trying to exploit that area of the plate.
Speaker 5: And I think what really illustrates that point, Brad is he crushed fastballs. Last year, he batted over three over three hundred. He had a batting average of three h five in twenty twenty five against fastballs, where it's plummeted to twenty eight this year. So you're talking about a difference of almost eighty points. And I think it's illustrated with those pitchers pitching him in and that's kind of caused that significant drop off.
Speaker 2: It's fled in other parts of his game. For instance, you're not on base as much, you can't steal as many bases. He's still thirty bases last year, thirty. He's got six right now. And Dustin Lynde, one of the Oil hitting coaches, gave stats that I would imagine only the team can have, and I'll explain here, he said when talking to media Sunday. When Gunner stays in the zone, his batting average this year is three h five and his OPS is nine hundred. So obviously the team is looking at data. What does he do when he swings at the strikes? So that is an all star player. So every hitter is never gonna not swing at a pitch that's not a strike. That always happens. Pitchers are trained to do that to get you out. But it's saying that Gunner's just expanding a little bit. He's just he's just not quite there, locked in with his own But he did have a three walk game the other night. Every time we see this, we all think this is going to be it, and then that doesn't happen for him. And here's the last point I'll make. Guys, I want to hear your take on it. He's twenty four years old. He turns twenty five June twenty ninth. We forget how young he is.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 2: It must be pressure when you're twenty four with his resume that not many having baseball at twenty four, you're supposed to carry the load. So that's pressure that another player not as decorated I don't think carries.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And you know it's also too I just kind of look at like, how much baseball has changed even since I've been done playing. In the last four or five years, these guys are getting called up as opposed to twenty three, twenty four to twenty five, it's now nineteen twenty twenty one, and you're still you're learning your body, you're learning what works for you, and it's just twenty four is so young. I mean I was called up at twenty five years old and I had two and a half years in the minor leagues. I just couldn't imagine being his spot, having the top top five MVP finished, having the Rookie of the Year, having the Silver Slugger, all these expectations and you're still just figuring out the kind of player you are. It's baseball has just gotten so young so fast that I feel like there is a lot of this I sure put on these guys, and they're not blind to it.
Speaker 6: They know it.
Speaker 4: And he knows the expectations that the fans and the team have for him, and I think a lot of times he's he's such an emotional player that I think he burdens a lot of that on himself, and he's trying to go out there and get it as opposed to letting the game come to him.
Speaker 3: A lot easier said than done. And you can go through struggles throughout that.
Speaker 4: Your entire career, even if you are a superstar, there's gonna be times where you try to go out there and take the game as opposed to letting it come to you, and that's I think that's just kind of what it is.
Speaker 3: And I think that's how he's always been.
Speaker 4: He's a player that's going to go out and try to do his best and almost force it at times. And I just think it's been a little bit of a prolonged period here where he's really just trying to force the game as opposed to just kind of letting these pitches come to him.
Speaker 5: Ultimately, Gunner is a victim of his own success. He experienced success pretty much right away. I remember he got called up in that Cleveland series. I think he homered in his first game, and you know, he had the little struggle in the first month of twenty twenty three, remember that murmurs, oh, should they send Gunner down? And then he just took off from there and just has been fantastic, And even last year we've talked a lot about it on the podcast, like that that was Gunner's down year, but there were still so many great aspects of that season, like the thirty stolen bases, Steve like his defensive ability. I think he had one error in his final ninety two games or something crazy like that. So Gunner was still doing things at exceptional levels. It just wasn't the prolific power that we've seen this year. What's made this season more difficult for him. I guess you could say he's hitting the home runs again with fourteen home runs already, But I don't know if Gunner's doing anything at.
Speaker 6: An exceptional level this year.
Speaker 5: Maybe base run you could say that, but it just hasn't been the impactful season that we've all expected.
Speaker 2: Now, furthermore, your point about behind it account. In twenty twenty four, of the great year, his OPS when batting with two strikes was six forty nine. That doesn't sound great, but that's not bad. When it's two strikes, you know, the pitcher's really done most of the heavy lifting, and so he was still reasonably productive six forty nine. This year it's three forty eight, three hundred point different. So when he gets down this year, they get him out. You know, he's just behind the eight ball, and he's got to figure out a way to get better count leverage. Some people have mentioned he may be taking too many first pitches, very hittable. Maybe he's got to attack more, ambush mode more, and so count leverage is big for Gunner. Let's see how that goes for him on this road trip. Glad you're with us today. Hope you subscribe to the channel. We're closing in on a thousand. It's been a uphill climb those some days, but we're going to get there, and so Birdland, We're glad you found us.
Speaker 1: Glad you watch us here on Birdland Territory.
Speaker 2: Please subscribe if you can, get notified when shows come out, follow us on the podcast outlets and networks as well, and a lot more to come today as we roll on on the Birdland Territory.
Speaker 5: It's summertime. You don't want your summer to be boring and forgettable. Heck no, you want this to be the summer of your life. So I implore you to go out see the Orioles play.
Speaker 6: And it doesn't just have to be at Camden Yards.
Speaker 5: If you're traveling out west, haven't gotten tickets for the Dodgers series, I would suggest looking into Saturday's game because it seems like Yoshinobo Yamamoto is lined up to start that one. And make sure you use seek Geek when purchasing them. With over thirty five million downloads, see Geek is the number one rated ticketing app. There are more than seventy thousand events listed on sea Geek. Concerts, sports festivals. You can find everything there. MLB's in full swing, World Cups underway, NFL and college football seasons. Their schedules are out you can look ahead get your tickets now.
Speaker 6: For those I love using seat Geek.
Speaker 5: I use the app to see Dave Chappelle at CFG Bank Arena last Friday.
Speaker 6: It was amazing. It was an easy process and sea Geek they always have your back.
Speaker 5: Each ticket is rated on a scale of one to ten, so you know you're getting a good deal. Look for those green dots, stay away from the red dots.
Speaker 6: Those are bad. Green is good.
Speaker 5: Plus, every ticket is backed by their buyer guarantee. And you know we have to have a code for you guys, and we do. You can use code Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at seat Geek. That's ten percent off any MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account.
Speaker 6: So you can use it later. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Seek So for the birds, it's off to the West coast.
Speaker 2: Seattle up first, and the Oriels have played well against the Maritors since twenty twenty three. We'll get to that in a moment, But Brad, what is the challenge of going across the country for a long West Coast road trip? Something only one of us on this set is experienced. I've been there as a media guy. A little different. You're not playing any West coast trip is tough. I think everybody knows that. How about for a player.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just it's just different.
Speaker 4: It's you you feel out of you almost feel out of touch. It's your threes time zones difference you're you know, in Seattle is especially different because it's so far north.
Speaker 3: You it's just.
Speaker 4: So far away from everywhere else. It's a long flight out there, and it's just it's just a different experience. I don't know, it's you know, I think by the end of the road trip you get used to it and you almost wish that it was longer. But the first couple of games, it's just a different rhythm. It's a different time that you start the game. You're starting a game on a ten o'clock East Coast time when you're used to being done. So it's just it's all these little different things. The sleeping patterns a little bit off. But at the end of the day, I mean when you go when these teams come East, it's just as difficult for them because it's like they're starting at four o'clock. So it's it's a it's just a different it's a different aspect of the of the schedule, and you know it, you always kind of start when you see it. You know you have a long one coming, and you kind of have it in your head to just kind of change things up.
Speaker 3: A little bit.
Speaker 4: But it's it's it's still a major league game and it's a pack ballpark against a good team, so it's it's always fun.
Speaker 2: Also, you know, when I would go out for Masson, you always dread the getting there, but once you're there, it was exciting. I'm telling you. The T Mobile Ballpark in Seattle is an amazing ballpark. I just loved watching games there. Anaheim was one of my favorite places to go because I'd always take a side trip to Laguna Beach and dream if I had, you know, twenty million dollars, Wow, what a home I can fill here? What a what a place to live and I go spend some time there, and Dodger Stadium is Dodger Stadium, right, all the history, a guy got to meet Vin Scully before his career ended there, all the trophies they have underneath the stands are amazing. And it's so loud. Ten, it's so loud at Dodger Stadium is a three hour rock concert and an assault on your ears. I guess in LA that's normal, but for an East Coast oh Cotcher like me, Man, I needed earplugs.
Speaker 1: We were at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 5: It's definitely got to be a bucket list ballpark, right, It's just with all the history and Dodgers Stadium. But I do have to ask you, Brad and Steve. I'm sure you probably covered some games there. I know the A's aren't in Oakland anymore, but what was it like playing at the coliseum?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was it was an interesting road trip when you'd have like you played the Dodgers and you played Oakland in the coliseum, it was you stay in San Francisco, so you have to take that long drive to the ballpark every day, and.
Speaker 3: Then when you get there, you just know.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, the fan just didn't go to the game, so it was it was just you had to lock in because it was just it didn't have the same feel of a major league stadium. One and then the stadium feel with less fans there, and it's just it's a stadium that was built for football, that they played baseball and they transitioned into football. And the security guard would always show this pamphlet of all these pictures he had, and he'd show us where the goalposts were set up, and that was kind of cool to envision the football field being there and everything like that. But I agree with Steve with the Dodger Stadium. The place just rocks. It feels like a rock concert, like it almost feels like a movie preview because they have so many loud promotions in between the innings and the fans are rocking. It's fifty five thousand people there at night. It's just an awesome experience. And I mean the West Coast, if you're an Oels fan, if you get a chance, you got to check out some of the stadiums. Like Steve said, Seattle is one of my favorite places to go. I think it gets a bad rap. That city is absolutely gorgeous, especially at this time of year. The weather's perfect. You go down to the pier, grab a Starbucks at the original location, you walk along the water there, check out the fish market.
Speaker 3: It's just it's really cool going on West.
Speaker 4: It's a different feel, but all three of these stadiums are unique, but they're really there.
Speaker 3: I always enjoyed playing there.
Speaker 4: Good place is to pitch, I feel like too, so for pictures, it's a little less intimidating than it was pitching a Cammi yard. So it's like I said, it's a different field, but it's each one has its own experience and I always enjoyed going out there.
Speaker 2: One thing I missed about going to the West Coast and Tim Scott Boris, if he saw me, I don't think he'd know my name, but he'd know my face. And I cover the Orioles and I would see Boris at the Angels and the Dodgers games, and he was in a great mood. You could walk up to him and I could talk to him for fifteen minutes. Him and I. You get fifteen minutes with Scott Boris and I could.
Speaker 1: Ask him anything and he would answer it.
Speaker 2: There wasn't an interview, and he knew that, and I wasn't gonna use that. But it was just two guys talking, and I've asked him some very interesting things and he's expressed opinions and I really appreciate it. I learned to like him. I guess as a baseball fan, you always didn't. You know, you're a little anti Boris because he's so passionate for his clients, escalating salaries and all that.
Speaker 1: But I mean, I could see and.
Speaker 2: Day Cortman Burns has told me over the years how great a guy he is was for him. And he lets the players call I remember, right, thinks he calls the shots. Players really call all the shot her he's your rep, right, Brad.
Speaker 1: He doesn't.
Speaker 2: He's pretty important, significant and he knows his stuff. But you got to do what's right for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely. I think players know that.
Speaker 4: They know that if you're going to be a top contract guy, you're looking for your highest value, he's probably got to go with. He's not for everybody, but if you're looking to get your top dollar and he has leverage. I don't know what it is that he has on whether it's the owners, the gms, but he gets his guys the contracts, And it's funny you say that Steve, because at Anaheim he's uh, I guess Los Angeles Angels now or whatever. But he would always sit right behind home plate. There was no mistaking where he was going to be. He has seats that are below the field level and he's standing right there. And so it is funny when you mentioned his name, because I always thought I always think of the Angels whenever you say his name because he's at those games. He probably has a client or two on every single team that comes through there. So he's there every single game. And it's beautiful weather and it's a great place to watch a game. So I don't blame him for being there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a nice guy to talk to you, but I wouldn't want to be sitting acrossroom in with millions.
Speaker 1: Of dollars at stake now.
Speaker 2: It would be a little maybe intimidating for some of these guys. Definitely, he's great at what he does. Speaking of being great, the Oriol's got a guy who's a little unheralded, but since May one, his batting average is three eighty nine.
Speaker 1: I kid you not.
Speaker 2: We want to touch on him in a moment here on Birdland Territory.
Speaker 7: This episode is brought to you by fan Duel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing, and fan Duel is giving you a chance to call your shot with Daily Dingers.
Speaker 3: Joining the action is easy.
Speaker 7: Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why fan duel is the home of home runs.
Speaker 6: So are you ready to play your game?
Speaker 7: Head over to FanDuel dot com Slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com Slash podcast. To opt in for Daily Dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer. Playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opten required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem call or text one eight hundred gambler Boy.
Speaker 2: The Oil certainly have some unheralded players who are performing better than we thought. Brandon Young will start tonight. He might be at the top of that list three oh four ERA, which would be seventh in the American League. We had enough things to qualify. Team is nine to one and his starts unbelievable. Blaize Alexander now batting three oh three, seven to seventy six. Ops. Remember you had a very bad start. He wasn't hitting at all in April, and now since May one, he's hitting three eighty nine nine ninety five.
Speaker 1: Ops.
Speaker 2: Those are ridiculous stats that this kid is putting up. And he still has a young Major leaguer and he's a breath of fresh air. If you spend thirty seconds interviewing Blaize Alexander, the energy and the passion will come through so great addition.
Speaker 1: To the Orioles. Guys, why is he hitting three eighty nine since May one? What is this kid doing? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I tell you what.
Speaker 4: I obviously haven't had a chance to talk to him or see him in person, but just watch him on TV. I can tell he brings a different energy and he's a guy you want to be around.
Speaker 3: And play with.
Speaker 4: He's the guy that the other teams probably don't want to see on the other side of the field, but you love having him on your team. He's just he brings a lot to the field, and I think I think when they first got him, it was more of he was a utility guy, you could kind of use him wherever. But his bat since May first has been one of, if not the best on this team. He's using all parts of the field. He's showing power to right center field. He's had a homer out that way, he's had a couple of doubles out that way. So he's just done a really good job of filling in wherever they need him, whatever position.
Speaker 3: They put him at.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think he's played some shorts off too. He's played outfield, He's moved around literally everywhere all over the field except for catching first base, I think, and it's it's been really cool to watch. I think a guy that was maybe seen as maybe a fringe player, a guy you have to have on your roster to have some roster flexibility, but he's put himself on a spot where you have to have him.
Speaker 3: In the lineup every nine, no matter where it is.
Speaker 5: Guys, he's not just been the Oriole's best bat in this stretch, he's the highest batting average in baseball since May first for qualified battery, the highest batting and the step further that really blows my mind.
Speaker 6: He's seventh in OPS per perspective.
Speaker 5: Jordan Alvarez has a nine to ninety six OPS blaze. Alexander is nine to ninety five, so point one difference compared to Jordan Alvarez. And you know, you look at his Baseball Savant page and you're like, all right, there's gotta be a weakness somewhere, but really he's hitting every type of pitch similarly to ninety seven against fastballs, three to eighteen against breaking balls, two ninety four against off speed. So being an opposing pitcher, Brad like trying to find a guy's weakness, all right, maybe I'll go to this pitch that there really hasn't been one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now, I think his ability to take the single is what is separating him during this period. He's really done a good job of if you're going to flip a breaking ball over there, he's not going to try to hit it out the left center field, He's going to hit it to right field and just kind of move the lineup along and I think he's found a great spot towards the bottom half of the lineup to really kind of jump start those guys and have guys on base for the top of the order. And it's just a really difficult that bat with a guy that's willing to hit the ball where it's thrown. And I think that's kind of a lost art in today's game. And I think that's why he's put himself in a different category than you can talk about him than just being the utility guy that is going to play over the field. He's a guy that poses a threat to opposing pitchers, and I think that's really what is separated him during the six week stretch.
Speaker 2: He doesn't take a ton of pitches. He's not done score high pitches per plate appearance. But he told me he loves to get in those long sequences where you win that eight pitch at bat as a test of wills. You've fouled off four pitches, you've silling everything he's got, then on the eighth pitch of the bat, you line one in the gap for a double.
Speaker 1: He loves that.
Speaker 2: He really lit up when he was talking about those situations. So Blaize Alexander Coen signing Kine with Jackson. Holiday's bat falling off a little bit, so we'll see how the lineup is going to go. Here really got three guys, Mayo, Jackson Blaze for two spots as they get ready for the game tonight.
Speaker 1: O's in Seattle tonight. We'll talk more about that in a moment.
Speaker 8: Big Bad Morning Show Vinnie and Hani Inside Access Live on YouTube weekdays six till six. Search Baltimore one O five seven the Fan, Subscribe for daily Short's right to your phone and never missed what you missed one O five seven the Fan.
Speaker 2: All Right, here's an unusual stat The Mariners have been one of the best teams in American League since twenty twenty three, and yet they've struggled badly against the Orioles since twenty twenty three. Twenty twenty three they won eighty eight. Next year they won eighty five. Last year they won the division. They won ninety. This year they're in first place thirty seven thirty six. They were in the ALCS last year, lost in Game seven by the way to Toronto, But the Oriols just went two and two against them. The Ools outscored them and Since twenty twenty three, the Ools have not lost a series to the Mariners, six to zho to one, fifteen and seven in twenty two games three and Ozher last year in June at the T Mobile almost called it safego there. So the Orioles have had success against this team. Obviously, they hope back continues. And I'm not sure how it's happened to this point. The Mariners pitched so well, challenging for Birdland here with this pitching stat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think what kind of poses a threat.
Speaker 4: I guess the ball has been flying a little bit better this year at T Mobile Park, but it's it's not necessarily a home run hitting ballpark, and that's kind of what the Orioles. I feel like one of their strengths of their offense is guys being able to hit home runs up and down the lineup. So it's definitely going to be an interesting matchup.
Speaker 3: I think they just.
Speaker 4: Got to do a good job of kind of using the whole field and kind of hitting those gaps because doubles can turn into triples there because the gaps are really big. So I think it's definitely going to be a challenge, but it's a critical point. It's a critical you know, road trip right now, and they just got to get off to a good start, kind of continue what they did last last week against Seattle. They had a good series against them, they split it, they won the last two. So just kind of kind of continue that momentum against Seattle and then you move on to Dodger Stadium after that.
Speaker 5: You were this close to potentially taking three of four. That game that the Orioles lost in extra innings, that Beckon game in the four game series. They had every opportunity to win that game, probably multiple times late in that one. But he got Brandon Young on the bump to start the series and start off this road trip, which is great because Brandon Young has been their most consistent pitcher this season. Last time out against Seattle, he was really really strong there.
Speaker 6: But yeah, this is a critical stretch here.
Speaker 5: Every West Coast road trip is always difficult just with all of the travel. And we know that this Orioles team is a much better home team compared to road but it's the level of competition. You're playing the Mariners who are leading that division, You're playing the Dodgers. Yeah, I know the Angels have been scuffling, but they've been a little bit better of late, won some series of late.
Speaker 6: This is a big nine game West Coast swing.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you get out there and it's just like us against the world. Man, You're like, we got this for a week and a half, we've better make the best of it, and you just kind of gel I mean that the Oros have had some good West Coast trips over the years, but you look back to the homestand they had where they went seven and three. We thought that was a turn point. Then they went three and three on the next road trip and three and four on this home stand that ended Sunday, so kind of a missed chance. So you're almost thinking five and four at a minimum you want you'd like better. I mean, you're playing the Dodgers. How many games you're gonna run off here? But let's see how it goes nine games on the West Coast. It'll be interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely, I agree with what you said, Steve. I think sometimes, like I said, it is a little odd out there because you feel disconnected. But at the same time, it's a lot of times it's just the roster that's out there. A lot of people don't make the trip out West, especially when you're going Seattle to LA it's a lot of travel for family members and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: So it is a great time for them to kind of just.
Speaker 4: Gel and them against the world, and who knows, maybe they could go seven to two in this road trip and really kind of flip the script on what's been happening so far the season. July's coming in fast, and it just it's I know we've talked about it being a critical stretch here and there, but with the calendar really closing in on July first, it's getting down to crunch time. It's trying to figure out what's this team going to be, who are they going to be come the trade deadline, what are they going to do in the Wildcard. They're now two and a half games out of the Wildcard, which is slowly kind of separating them between the teams that are there at the top for that.
Speaker 3: So it's it really is a critical stretch.
Speaker 4: And I think sometimes when you go out West, you are able to just spend more time with just teammates and you're able to get a little bit time after games, time before games to go grab lunch or grab you drinks. After the game or just whatever they might do, and it kind of has an opportunity here just kind of just gelling, like Steve said, just them against the world at this point and really just going a nice stretch.
Speaker 2: They are going to face some good teams on the West coast. The Oriel's got to be up to the challenge, and we'll see how it goes here as they go play the Mariners, the Dodgers, and the Angels. Should be an interesting road trip out west, and we'll be back with you here in a day or two, as always, to talk about it. Thanks for watching today this latest edition of Birdland territory S