Speaker 1: Of the law and Order franchises, SVU is considered especially watchable. We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on. These are our stories. Done done, Yay, that's messed up.
Speaker 2: A SVU podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm Liza Trigger and I'm Kara Klank And every week we break down an episode of SVU. We talk about the true crime its based on, and we interview a celeb guest and first we chat up top and this is our first time chatting.
Speaker 2: It's our, it's our. When does this episode come out?
Speaker 1: I'm like, I don't even I don't know when it comes out. But we are acording on the anniversary of January sixth, which we love to do. We do this every I love to record on January six a stain on our country, but a positive, funny thing for us.
Speaker 2: I don't know who can remember. Who can remember January sixth?
Speaker 3: Where now there's January like second or whatever, now there's or the third, whatever just happened?
Speaker 1: Like well, the funniest thing is I remember January sixth, and I remember finding out the information. I'm watching a video of people climbing into the Capitol and my friend who's no longer my friend calls me you probably know who this is and starts complaining about someone blaming her for getting COVID and like is complaining about the most stupid stuff, And I'd be like, yeah, the people are climbing into the Capitol. I really would. I just I'm busy, Like I just remember being like I can't but now it's like this, everyone's pardon, nothing happened.
Speaker 2: It didn't matter.
Speaker 1: But when you're watching people attack the building, you get Bob. And she was just like can you believe that she's called her and said this? And I go, I think we're under attack. I can't really focus.
Speaker 3: I have the opposite where I think of your friend every time I think of January sixth, because she's the one that wrote it into our group chat. Oh and was like and I was like, she was like, you guys, someone people are attacking the capital and I was like okay, And then.
Speaker 2: I like googled it and was like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: She's the one that like broke the news to me, so I kind of always think about her being like, no, this is a huge deal, and I was like, ah, like so nuts.
Speaker 2: But it ended up not mattering at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people tried to well, yeah, there was an interview I guess with.
Speaker 2: Pence or something.
Speaker 1: He's like, yeah, AOC used to be chill as fuck, and then it changed after January sixth. I don't know what happened. And they're like, you tried to murder her. They tried to murder her, and I don't know. It's yeah, they tried to murder Mike Pence. I know, but I need give a fuck. He's too busy pretending that to be gay talking about gay.
Speaker 3: He did Rivalry. I'll give you till next week to watch it. I will, yes, please give me a little bit more time. I'm on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I because you know I'm horned.
Speaker 1: I mean, if someone videotaped me on all my flights on my phone, they would think I probably had a mental disorder. My whole feet, every single video, every video, If if anything is on my phone that's not heated rivalry, I scroll up immediately.
Speaker 3: My phone's not even trying wait wild Okay, that's so funny. But first of all, can I also just really quickly say that I heard that in New York City there is a wall of all the people from January sixth, with pictures of them and breakdowns of who they are. So if you want to visit that, I saw it on TikTok but yes, okay, so on my other podcast, Who's the Bitch. Jackie has Been was an early adopter of fucking Heated Rivalry and told.
Speaker 2: Me about it and I was like, okay, like, yeah, I'll put it on that yeah reads yeah, yes, a week.
Speaker 3: Within a week, it was like all over everything, like it was just so crazy.
Speaker 1: I was even slow. I was on a sports part. They asked me about it. I go, I don't know whatever, and then people are like the Russian, the Russian. You got to listen to the Russian. And I go, well he's Russian, and they go, the bitch is from Texas. But what's fun. Yeah, he's from Adessa, Texas. I'm from a Dessa, Ukraine. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: But his rush.
Speaker 1: I mean, I am watching these edits tearing up on flights. I can't be. I am like enthralled by it in so many different avenues. And not to fully brag, but the writer of the books followed me on Instagram yesterday.
Speaker 2: Ooh, I DMed her. She seems great. I don't know. I mean, is the Russian good? Is the guy's Russian good?
Speaker 1: It is the best TV movie Russian by a non Russian that's ever happened.
Speaker 2: And in a GQ interview, the.
Speaker 1: Dialect coach like the director doesn't know what's actually happening, so he turns to her to be like, how was that? Because he has this huge monologue and she goes he humbles me why I'm getting chills thinking about I'm gonna like start crying like the way. And it's the fact that he only had three weeks to prepare. I really don't know how he did it. Like his Russian he had to learn how to say I don't really speak Russian for the other Russian actors because they all thought he spoke Russian. Oh my god. Because it's also because then I started watching the press and I'm like, that's a different person. Like his physicality, the vibe, it's so Soviet. It's it's incredible what these guys have done and the writer director, it's just like incredible television on a small budget, all of it.
Speaker 2: They are incredible.
Speaker 1: It's also it's like very sexual, but the tension, but the Russian is incredible. It puts every But we've always said this Nicole kidman didn't do it. Orange is the New Black wasn't good, and the Americans wasn't good. It's a hard thing to do. Yeah, and he's a very gift. They're gifted young men, and he like nails it and in a huge way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I feel like a lot of actors feel like they can nail the speaking English in a Russian accent.
Speaker 2: But they but they do that bad too.
Speaker 1: They do that bad, like he It's kind of like playing drunk, where you downplay it. You're suppose sit down play it like no one had like And I feel when people do it, they up this like accent. But usually people are trying to assimilate.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, and I think he just the it's subtler. It's I can't, I really can't even.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I love this. Okay, I'm it's on my list for this week. I'm doing it this week. We finished the Horses.
Speaker 2: I'm done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this television series is moving you to tears. I mean it has a nine point one on IMDb out of ten. I don't think that's even I've ever seen anything above eight on IMDb. The biggest hateration like squad of the of the Internet. It's ninety eight on rotten tomatoes.
Speaker 1: I mean, but my goal in the hote New Year's is about not about changing yourself a new person resolution. But my I do have a goal this year, and it's to cut my spending in half. So my phone keeps showing me, you know, his Jersey's crop top. You know, I want the crop tops my phone every every five enemy in this resolution, Oh a wood This just showed me like a wooden stead two of the two the mice from Cinderella. My phone knows I'm trying to quit spending. It's like fucked. In the old year, a ba bar sweater was thirty percent off, but I was like New Year, I'm not. So we'll see if I end up buying a heated rivalry crop top or not, but hopefully I can.
Speaker 3: I mean, maybe it's like you get to a certain goal by the end of the month, and then you reward yourself with a heated rivalry crop top. I think that could work, you know, like just like work towards goal, work towards miniature.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know your goal is to watch it by next time, but only six yeah, oh, I'm I can I can finish that yea, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, no problem.
Speaker 2: And I would make sure the kids are in bed.
Speaker 3: Oh please, my kids won't won't watch a second of anything that I have on. Please, Like they come and want Housewives is on and they're like, what is this? So that's not happening. Uh so wait, how was your Christmas? We I know it's mid January, but we haven't spoken.
Speaker 2: I need I need to know about the something old, I mean something not crossing blue.
Speaker 1: Soft because a lot I was at a wed, I was everywhere I did for cities in seven days. Check with a check bag, I mean, but before any I mean, I'm like overwhelmed. The Backstrep Boys at the Sphere was the best night of my life, the best of my life. It is the best concert, It's the best venue if there's awards for venues, architecture, design effects. But I am I was blown away. I was on a different planet. And if there's a possibility for you guys to go, I'm because we saw them and I assumed it would be similar setlists. They opened with the closer from Last Time, There's deep cuts, Get another boyfriend, Get another Boyfriend.
Speaker 2: They were doing the call. I mean they were today about that.
Speaker 1: Get down, get I mean deep cuts, Spanish Eye. They did the one that's the that's the music video. I don't know if I've told this story on the podcast before, but it was the video was premiering on and I broke the door. So when the ones started, I couldn't believe it. I got to do New Year's Countdown with the Backstreet Boys. You are the effects. It's just I'm so proud of them. You could tell they're so proud, like it.
Speaker 2: Just was amazing. And then someone did read me.
Speaker 1: They go, wow, you did your millennial makeup so well, and it's like, are you calling me old bitch? But I yeah, no.
Speaker 2: I had frosted blue eyeshadow.
Speaker 1: I got sparkles on my face like I wore baby blue cloud. And a security girls stopped me and she goes, oh my god, I used to have that wallpaper. I go, I had the sheets. I got the baby blue sky. That was huge. I've also dubbed millennial women the canopy bed generation. Oh you either had one or you wanted one. Were the canopy bed generals. I was a wanter, not a My parents said too much dust but anyways, but the sphere there's hidden bars in every section you're in kind of there's no lines. There's no lines anywhere, like there's no merch lines everything, Like there's so much like it really outside of the effects and like the room itself like just hidden little areas for everything, bathrooms.
Speaker 2: Ever, I don't know how they did it.
Speaker 1: There was no huge lines like there aren't stadium like it was an incredible user experience.
Speaker 2: Was it dizzying at all? Like the effects? Honey? No?
Speaker 1: So I went with someone Sophia thank you so much, that works at Live Nation, so we had really good seats but Risen and then we got wristbands for the family and Friends platform and.
Speaker 2: So we did both.
Speaker 1: Just like she was like, I want you to see the whole effects, like can we sit up there?
Speaker 2: So it started, we saw the whole effects. I think the.
Speaker 1: Second song I turned her and go, we're going to I need to see my boys up club like this, I don't give a fuck. So we run down where there's so much space because the family and Friends aren't like Madia, so like we got room to dance the confetti like yeah, I can't even I'll show you one video to like kind of so you could see the scope of just the sphere. Okay, ready, Casey, I want you to see this too. Okay, look, wow, wow, oh my god, oh my god.
Speaker 3: Whoa, it's crazy. I want to see I want to go now. You don't have to answer this on the pod or or we can cut it or whatever. But did you drink? Did you do something else?
Speaker 2: Look?
Speaker 3: Oh look, it was because everybody's talking about going there and like doing drugs but then getting overwhelmed.
Speaker 2: So I was just wondering if it was drinking or no. You know me, I went when I saw the chicks, I got blacked down.
Speaker 1: I don't remember anything, and that's not the way I do concerts, and I don't want to pee.
Speaker 2: I don't want to miss anything I had.
Speaker 1: I had two double whiskeys on the rocks because that's like, I'm not gonna pee. I can't do backusoda it's too much liquid. So yeah, I didn't really. I don't even think I had a cocktail before, if I'm being honest, Like, okay, I just had a few whiskeys, no drugs, no edible, nothing, nothing on it. I wanted to fully experience. I just and what's crazy is I don't listen to the Backstreep Boys. I don't listen to them. I knew the words every single song, every single song. It's like crazy the way brains work. Yeah, they just came into your life.
Speaker 3: At the time that I think music was solidifying in your mind.
Speaker 2: So yeah.
Speaker 1: But I'm just telling everyone that, like, if you have a chance and that's something that you can figure out to do, it is an incredible experience. It's not overrated. The internet videos do not even do it justice. I was kind of not a hater, but I just didn't think I'd be that impressed. Like I knew i'd love it, but it truly I cannot believe I rang in the New York with the Backstreep Boys, Like I really really can't. Then I met the Blue Men group the Yeah. Then our our friend Liby also got an advanced copy of her book started reading it. Everyone needs to pre order it. I am reading I have not read in yours. It's so good. It's oh my god.
Speaker 2: Well I pre ordered it. I pre ordered it on Amazon, but.
Speaker 1: That was one of our Christmas gifts, so there's not even a back cover, you know, Like, I that's really cool, but then she got us reservations. Her friend chef Sarah works at cost Supply of one of the best restaurants, like in the wait, like I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 2: And then I went to j Lo, who I have some notes for you? What I have some notes? Wait really quickly though, let's do a formal shout out.
Speaker 3: But I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Go and pre order our friend Alison Liby. She's the host of the Ruined podcast, which I know many of you listen to because I think Lisa and I have both guest hosted on it and stuff.
Speaker 2: But it's it's called I'm a Lot.
Speaker 3: She did the show Oh God to show about abortion in New York that was like rave reviews, Anna Win Tour, everything, like everybody went to it. She's one of the funnies people. She's one of our best friends. Go order her book. It comes out in July. If you just pre order it now, you don't pay for anything, and then you just get it in July when it comes out, and pre orders help her.
Speaker 1: Okay, remember how I talked to you about the Arthur chain and then it reminded you about the Eric Carl and it's like it's kind of when you went nuts and tried to buy Eric Carl. The girl messaged me, going, I'm dying. Someone sent you me the clip of you guys talking about Arthur Chain. The funniest part is that I, too, panic, bought Eryl Carl toys when he died. I found my soulmate.
Speaker 2: You were doing it like it was like a market move.
Speaker 3: You were like, the value is gonna go up, we need to start buying Eric Carl art like it was so funny.
Speaker 1: But oh my gosh, oh my god.
Speaker 3: Okay, so wait, can you can you say how the gift exchange went. I'm really interested in how all the soft and the edible and all that went.
Speaker 1: I mean, one of our friends is a terrible gift giver, and I hope she knows that. So she she brought she gave me everything I'm allergic to. So that's pretty fun. No, I felt I feel a we all felt so seen, like so happy. Everyone killed it in every direction, like so cute, so fun. Yeah, Kara wrote a name into the chat. I mean, she has so many other amazing qualities qualities, it's just not one of them. Love her, No, everyone, It's just I think everyone was like so happy and touched and it felt really cute and the food was good. Alison again made the best crab dip I've had in my life.
Speaker 2: Oh she's from Marylands, she better be. Oh you gotta be bringing the crab dip.
Speaker 1: I really, uh, impressive, impressive crab dip. But it was just like it was such a cute, acute Christmas. And we watched Home Alone one and two and the Festivist Seinfeld.
Speaker 2: But yeah, a lovely, lovely gifts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got a joint, a joint holder with a pink little mouse with a bow on it. You know, like people understood, like we really got each other in a way.
Speaker 2: That was cool. And then our stocking stuffers.
Speaker 1: Were all really fun and yeah, it was like a really, that's great, it's cute.
Speaker 2: What about you?
Speaker 3: What about I made? I made a spinish nara choke tip on for Christmas Eve.
Speaker 2: That was a hit. Wow, I mean good food. It's a recipe I looked up.
Speaker 3: But people were really all the other appetizers kind of got pushed aside.
Speaker 2: People were really into my Spanish artichoke tip.
Speaker 3: Then I brought it on New Year's because we did an all appetizer New Years and that's such a good idea. What that's a good idea? Yeah, all appetizers like so much. It was so much food, but it was like all apps and uh it was it had a hard time standing up on a table full of apps.
Speaker 2: But at Christmas Eve it was really killing. I made it twice.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we had Christmas was you know, I just sent my kids back to First of all, my kids are not off school yet, like they are still off I mean back to school yet.
Speaker 2: They're still off.
Speaker 3: But their school runs a free program for a week this week, so I'm like, bye, you're going back.
Speaker 2: So they're back.
Speaker 3: But technically most people in LA are still home with their kids, which is so psychotic to me. The program they're doing is free. I'm like, why would you not take that? But so it was sixteen days with my kids, and it fucking rained almost every day in LA. We had an atmospheric river, so it was tough. But how are they inventing new weather terms. You said an atmospheric river, like that's like a normal thing. No, they that happened a couple of years ago where they talked about an atmospheric river and that was the first time I heard about it.
Speaker 2: And now it's back.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, it's just.
Speaker 2: Kind of like a lot of rain. I don't know why that was never.
Speaker 3: A thing in Chicago or Connecticut like that we rained all the time where we lived right like, and was never like, oh, this is an atmospheric river.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, I just feel blessed that I know all the seasons, even here in New York. People it's cold, I'm like, get a grip. It's winter, get a grip. It's thirty's it's fine, you know what I mean. I just like I am, I'm I just I don't get it. Well.
Speaker 3: What I appreciate about New York is that this summer and the spring are like so magical because you've made it through those other seasons, Like you're so like, I'm never gonna be as pumped for a sunny day in la as I am in New York when I've lived through cold and rain, you know what I mean? Yeah, but now Jesus, anyway, enough weather talk.
Speaker 1: No, no, wait, there was an atmospheric river. Wait out of the kids, like there, get like, what was Christmas?
Speaker 2: Christmas?
Speaker 1: Waking up in your own house, not traveling, not doing flights and renting cars and driving to Connecticut and then to Virginia.
Speaker 2: Like, yes, I loved it. It was so great. My in loss came.
Speaker 3: My in loss came for ten days, which most people are like what, But it was like great, They're great to have, like they're so helpful and it was great.
Speaker 2: But Christmas was a hit.
Speaker 3: Oscar got a Barbie camper van from Santa Obsessed. He asked for that and then Santa brought it. Also, he got a Malibu Barbie to go with it. I went online and there I was like, it's a camper Barbie, so like I need a camper Barbie. When you get a camper Barbie, like a Barbie who camps like she's got a little backpack by the way, kind of a little bit too on the nose for today's episode to be honest.
Speaker 2: Uh, but it's like a van life Barbie.
Speaker 3: And you go to the thing and you can either choose Malibu camper Barbie or Brooklyn Camper Barbie. And guess what the difference is. One is white and one is black. It's so crazy.
Speaker 2: I'm like, this feels so like.
Speaker 3: I showed it to two of our mutual black friends and they were like that maybe it's because they were like trying to think of reasons.
Speaker 2: I was like, well, because even if a camping.
Speaker 3: Destination like there's you don't like you're not like I'm a girl from Brooklyn who camps, It's just like that's not a thing. So it was weird. But he got that. He got a light up scooter, Rosie got a new bike. You know, it was a lot.
Speaker 2: I get.
Speaker 3: We only got them a few things from from like really from us one thing and then four things from Santa each. But I forget that, like my siblings send gifts that parents should want and I yeah, and the kids gifts. So from us was the bike? From us was the bike in the scooter. I was like the bit because I ran out a wrapping gift too. Yeah, I was like the one gift like, well, so the bike was half wrapped, like in the back it wasn't wrapped, and I was like, just hope in the front of it, it's great.
Speaker 1: But well, the Kardashians, I'll do this where each house, each girl has their own signature wrapping paper and yeah I did that this year, but it's to buy nothing new and so I used everything. So someone got newspaper like I used only things in the home. But everyone got their own, okay, because I had random stuff enough for one person, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I was worried that Rosie was going to start catching onto the wrapping paper thing, like why is one the in this wrapping paper and what? So I got Santa had a minion and a bluey wrapping paper that was all his his stuff.
Speaker 2: But it was great.
Speaker 3: They love everything. They got their huge into legos. Now they got a bunch of drawing stuff. I mean, my kids, like you wouldn't even believe it, Lisa, Like they sit and they just draw for like an hour quietly like it's and then they go crazy and try to choke each other out. But like they really are so into art and drawing now. So they got a bunch of art shit. And then we went to Santa Barbara for two days stops.
Speaker 2: It was really nice. Yeah, my god.
Speaker 1: My taxi driver from Vegas from the airport was from Santa Barbara.
Speaker 2: He was a surfer. He told me a lot. He's been with his wife a while. Santa Barbara is so funny, like I would be have you been there?
Speaker 1: It's changed? It's no, I haven't. I'm I'm so intrigued to tell me everything.
Speaker 3: It's just very interesting because like the main drag of Santa Barbara to me looks like fancy kind of right. So you're walking down the main dragon, there's like an aloe, right, and then next to it there's a ninety nine cent store, and then there's like a super high end thing, and then there's an old navy Like it's just a very big mix of high low on their main street.
Speaker 2: And the people are also very diverse.
Speaker 3: Like I cannot get a beat on, Like I always just thought everybody from Santa Barbara was like rich and then I'm want but like I see other local people that just look like regular and like surfers and like different kinds of people, and I'm like, huh, Santa Barbara is like a real mix. I think I just had an idea in my head from the fact that don't tell them. On the Babysitters Dead, Santa Barbara is where they go on their sexy romantic weekend, the boss and her boyfriend. So I think of it as like a rich getaway place. You know, it's really diverse sorority life. I think on MTV, was you see Santa Barbara and so that's where I go to see Santa Barbara's coledge of Santa Barbara. Did you get any water bottle for Christmas? I did, and I'm obsessed. I'm obsessed with this water bottle. Jared got this from me, and I was like, Jared, you literally have barely ever given me a gift that I like, and this is like out of the park.
Speaker 1: I love it so much. Happened, Oh, I will press, good job, Jared. Hell.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's an awala and it's thirty two ounces, so it's like big, but it fits into my cup holder.
Speaker 2: I know that's been a big issue for you.
Speaker 3: It's been a big issue, the yetti just flying around my car, slamming, you know.
Speaker 2: So now I'm so excited, Like I've been killing water in this thing. It's so boring.
Speaker 3: The adults didn't really exchange presence this year because we were like, let's just do the Santa Barber trip. That's like, you know, your family. We went with his family. Oh yeah yeah, but but like we just didn't do real gifts with them, which is great because it's so they're hard to buy, Like it's they're boring to buy for a little bit. So I was like we just did stocking, so this was in my stocking and.
Speaker 2: I was really happy.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it was in your stocking. Yeah, I was really happy.
Speaker 1: Jara's been on Instagram knowing that, I mean his mom's dide.
Speaker 2: I filled his mom stocking. Are you kidding?
Speaker 3: I just I just slipped up my words. No, exactly, he did mine, but I had to tell him. I go, just so you know, I'm doing everybody stocking and mine will be empty if you don't do it, and he was like, right, I'm doing it.
Speaker 1: So he like went to bath and body works. Oh my god, Kara, it keeps happening. It happened to me three times. This break where people go every time before I like something on Instagram, you've already liked it, and then our friend goes, yeah, I see your name under like parenting stuff all the time, and I'm like, well.
Speaker 2: That is true of me that forever.
Speaker 3: But that's because you and I, it like knows that we like interact and like send each other passages and stuff. People in the almost you've already gotten to because I think about it and I check because I go, maybe I'll bring this up in an intro. But I always see that you've already seen it. So I'm like, you know so because I because sometimes I'll be like, well did you see this? You're like, of course I saw it, and it's like I should.
Speaker 2: Have known that it's right there. No, but there was. This was so me.
Speaker 1: I uh. I go on YouTube there's a new lad Bible and it's my father was a cannibal, and I'm like, okay, you got me. I'm in okay, I'm watching it.
Speaker 2: Watch it. I was literally talking to my in laws about the lad Bible. Have I seen it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I was just telling them something you told me.
Speaker 3: I was like, well, there's this series called lad Bible and apparently like I don't remember what part it was that I was talking about, but no.
Speaker 1: And also shout out to everyone I met and see at in Vancouver. I feel like I could have been funnier in Seattle. My bad guys, if you were there, I feel like I could have been better. But Vancouver, they really I was good there. Vancouver's great, what a great city. Seattle's great too. I mean, no, Seattle's great. I had a good time. I think people had a good time as well. There's just something that was tough for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's something oh speaking, I mean getting into a little We've had a couple of panicked messages about the fact that Peacock has removed a ton of seasons of SVU, so people are like, what the fuck they just got rid of, like seasons like seven through eighteen or something on Maybe it's hopefully it's like a Hulu Peacock thing.
Speaker 2: I mean I have both. Yeah, I don't know. You just have to get Hulu.
Speaker 3: If you want to do the homework for this pod, you gotta just get Hulu.
Speaker 1: I don't know why they're doing it. I'll try to see if there's any licensing news that can get to the bottom of I mean.
Speaker 2: I have heard about it in advance, Like I've heard about it in advance, and it was like, uh oh, like SVU might be leaving Peacock, but I was I was like, I'll wait to see what happens, if it really happens. But I'm a Hulu girl anyway, like I every season except the current, but Peacock has the current.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for some reason, just the interface for the work that we do, the going back ten second sub I don't know there's something on Hulu that makes it easier and more enjoyable, even though I like watching peacock stuff, but for work it's harder. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, that just is what it is. Also how funny. So Jared Goldstein, he's obsessed with bags and he goes to a Louis Baton that has the Marikami collection that was like notoriously sold out everywhere. So he's sending me photos from the store and I see in the carrying case a little Louis Vauton thing and I go, oh my god, is that a pepper spray holder? And he goes, I think it's for lipstick, and I go, our brain are so fucked. But I was like, I would I would if it's for pepper sprayl by it, but I know I wouldn't. I'm I'm I'm on a spending freeze. Yeah, not freeze, just cutting it in half, cutting it in half. Are you allowed to have pepper spray in New York City but not mace? You're allowed to have pepper spray?
Speaker 2: I don't give a.
Speaker 1: Fuck, Like, why can you have guns? But any weapon that's for women to be safe is illegal? Go fuck yourself. Yeah, I'm gonna have whatever I want. And I'm gonna get a taser on the underground market and yeah, I don't give a fuck. Try me, bitch, come at me, try to take me in. All right, Wait, any other, any other? What did you do on New Year's.
Speaker 3: I just went to my friend's house and like our kids play together. We just drank a ton of wine.
Speaker 2: It was great. It's just show we watched.
Speaker 3: We watched Anderson and Andy and then we watched it again. You know, you can just basically replay it.
Speaker 1: But I did go to vander Pump Glarden at Caesar in Vegas, in Vegas, in.
Speaker 2: Vegas, I was outside of it.
Speaker 1: I was with you, Kara, because they had a fake line. We made a reservation. We had to make a reserve. Wait, I was with you. We went and they made a swing like there was a giant line but you could see in it and there was like all this empty tables and we're trying to and I get if you're trying to build hype if we could see it's empty inside. Yeah, yeah, And they said it was like an hour. Wait, so we're like fuck that, and we drink in the lobby.
Speaker 3: I remember, yes, I recall, Okay, thanks bringing it all back you're with me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you went to it though, and how was it? I did?
Speaker 1: I got hand, I got blocked out and the matcha drink was great.
Speaker 2: We had go cheese.
Speaker 1: I mean yeah, but those places being in Vegas, it's like being at the Olive Garden in like Times Square or something. I don't think it's like, oh, hello, l isn't this funny? And then the bill's three hundred and fifty dollars and you're like, yeah, yeah, I guess litting fine dining. But I was taking like full on shots at that point. But I just because for the concerts, I'm so well behaved that, like after j Loo finally, I okay, wait, what.
Speaker 2: Are the notes for j Low? Honey?
Speaker 3: Wait, no, be sure that you're never gonna host SNL because some people that talk about Jalo on podcasts do get in trouble.
Speaker 1: Hey, this is such a long episode. Let's let's save Jlo for the post mortem. Well, okay, everyone the whole thing Jlo talking the bost mortem. I will say one more thing.
Speaker 3: I have been diagnosed with planter fascis no and it's fucking terrible, and I but can people that listen, It's curable, right, like I went to a pediatrist.
Speaker 2: I'm doing all this stuff. It's getting better.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to make sure, girl, I have I have doctor Tom's insults.
Speaker 2: I war insults in my boots in Vegas.
Speaker 3: I'm wearing insults. It's terrible. But I just want people to tell me stories of them curing it, because I just this can be my whole life. This man's making me wear birkenstocks around the house. I can't wear me barefoot ever. I have to wear my birken stocks all the time because they're they're.
Speaker 1: Oh, but you should get the sandal ones that I have, like they you know, the rubbery brad stock ones, the pool work and stock.
Speaker 2: See if you could wear those in the house.
Speaker 3: Cannot, okay, because there the whole thing about them is he said, it has to keep my like it keeps your foot like stationary cast.
Speaker 1: So ask ask him if you can do like the indoor shoe one like the rubbers, if those work or not, because those are more like house friends, I wear them in the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay. We have so much to catch up on. Visa v Drag Race, uh, Beverly Hills Housewives, all kinds of things, that are happening, but we should get started because it is a long app right, So next week we'll we'll catch up on all that crap. Until then, that's messed up.
Speaker 3: Live dot Com has those uh Lois Luise shirts.
Speaker 1: We're gonna work on some new merch for this year. People were Tommy's people like the Tommy Jersey, the Tommy they told me, they told you in person.
Speaker 2: We gotta go.
Speaker 3: We're gonna get some Tommy merch. And I'm on the road, motherfuckers. Please yes, scroll down, it's a Live dot com and Liza's website.
Speaker 1: You get Kansas City, I'm going to at New York City, I'm out and about Boston, other Sacramento. I'm out here, guys, I'm out here. Yeah, get on it, get on it.
Speaker 2: But let's get started because this is this is an intense up.
Speaker 1: Okay. Rorshack is what we're doing today, which makes me think of Tricksy because she always talks about the not the Walking Dead. What's the show the Watchman?
Speaker 2: Yes, Watchman, she loves Watchmen. But yeah, it's the test.
Speaker 1: I actually now thinking about what the Rorshack test is in the episode.
Speaker 2: I really don't see a full time I don't act what is the connect? Is there more?
Speaker 3: I feel like the only thing that maybe is like dentations. No, I was gonna say, like, well, the rorshack test is like everybody sees something differently, and so like if you're looking at somebody's life through social media, like what you be seeing, but like that seems not you know what I mean, Like it's different to me than like the way people portray themselves on social media, different than the reality. That's different than a roorshak, which is like you see something, I see something.
Speaker 1: But I'm sure our.
Speaker 3: Listeners will let us know what the actual connect is because I'm not seeing it per se.
Speaker 1: Okay, but neither here nor there. Season twenty six, episode six, November seventh, twenty twenty four. It's Ellie and that's a woman and she's talking to her channel into a little mic and she's leaving for a cross country road trip and the car has wood paneling on the sides and I really like that, and you know, and then she goes, ooh, and I'm here with my sexy cameraman and his name is Chris.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: He comes to wave waves to the camera, says hi, and holy shit, did SV you clear Espresso, Like yeah, Mick, no, or maybe they're friends with her.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say maybe she gave it to them for lower because she's been on SVU, maybe because I was kind of like, I cannot believe they got espresso. Yeah, they've had like most of the time the music is like fully just like stock or whatever. But then they have had a couple of like known songs at the beginning, like there was that one episode that starts we.
Speaker 2: Make the Good Girls Go Bad whatever, Like.
Speaker 3: They do have some that are famous, but like it's in later seasons and I'm always like, this is definitely the biggest song I think they've ever opened an episode with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Espresso's in the cannon of best pop songs I think ever and was just so massive at the time. Also, yeah, but I heard it recently and I was like, I love it. Oh, probably watching this episode when you heard it. Yeah, wait, but the girl is that the Measles episode? It sounds like when teens are doing something, Yeah, it might be. It might be might be the Missy pilot. So the different ring blowjob rings or the bracelet parties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, one of those, one of those.
Speaker 1: Okay, So they have espresso and they're starting in Echo Park, so they're la and it's a montage. They're in Georgia, nature mountains, waterfalls, logs, tense yoga, kisses, hand holding, running bodies of water.
Speaker 2: Forest.
Speaker 1: So now another woman's in the woods as well, and she's walking an espresso is actually playing in her earphones and she takes them out of her ear So I really like that kind of fun. I like that. But she pauses when she sees a bloody rock and then we see the wood panel car. A body is down, a girl is bleeding, and then there's a man injured about thirty feet away and he's calling for Ellie and he has a knife in his chest. Cut to Benson in the elevator and it opens and it's a man. She calls him Clark Kent, but it's an FBI guy. He is hot, and he was in Dexter as Batista's sister's boyfriend who was like an intern and like a crime guy, and he was buying crime things off the internet and stealing stuff from Matsuka and then he ended up getting murdered by one of the mobs. Oh, I'm really not remembering his part. But this guy's name is Josh Cook, this actor. I've seen him in other Well no, because Dexter beats the shit out of him because he plays little pranks with Dexter. And he bought like the Bay Harbor, like he didn't know who he was dealing with but thought wanted to fuck with it.
Speaker 2: He's like a tech guy.
Speaker 1: Whatever. Oh whatever, Yeah, I'm humiliated. All right. So all right, we're in the FBI, YadA YadA. So it's okay, it's seven thirty am, and she's like, oh god, it's early, but they need Benson's help. This woman was half naked Ellie Ali Hughes and Chris Becker Echo Park, So what's up in Rockland County? And it's a two month road trip and they think she was raped, but they can't really do a rape kit even though it's been forty eight hours because she's had a massive head trauma. She's unconscious, and they don't do rape kits if like there's no consent. So that's what's going on there, and Rockland County is only going to go for the attempted murder charge, but Benson goes, but why are the FEDS attacked? And basically it's because the crime happened off the Appalachian Trail that spans fourteen states.
Speaker 2: So the FEDS handle all crimes on the Appalachian Trail. Interesting any federal land.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I've never done any of these trails, but you know they're into it. So Benson points at all these folders on her desk and goes, FBI, guy, I'm busy, look at all these folders. He goes, No, I know it's a huge favor, but our field office here in New York they're trash, like, we need you. I like that. The FBI is so bad they need Benson. Please help us, please, it might never get solved. And of course Benson's looking at the photo. Oh there's a two in this woman's mouth. She's in a coma. Yeah, Benson's in where do we start? So it's credits time, and now it's corkboard time, and Benson says she spoke with the commissioner, and Finn asks what he said, and she says, to play nice.
Speaker 2: Okay. So it's two victims.
Speaker 1: Elie Hughes found in only a towel, huge gash in her forehead, stabbed, and then the guy he was stabbed with his own pocket knife. Twice, and he's been out of surgery as well. He has not been questioned, but you know, he feels lucky to be alive. And there are a few floors away from each other. They don't think it's a robbery because phones and wallets were left behind. And then she sends everyone off to do their jobs and Benson goes to Langone Hospital NYU and I am part of the Langune family, but I.
Speaker 2: Don't go to this office.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, this address, but that's where I just love being in a giant medical group. There's because I loved going to Cedar Sinai in La like I want.
Speaker 2: To Yeah, I would say the pros or.
Speaker 3: I love that all your doctors have every thing in front of them, like you don't have to go, okay, here's my history, like they share everything.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 3: The con is that if I want to talk to my daughter, my doctor, even to just ask call back, it's twenty five minutes. I'm going through a receptionist, who then calls their receptionist, who then sees if they can get.
Speaker 2: Their receptionists on the phone.
Speaker 3: If they can't, they get back on the phone with me and go We're still trying it's that's a little bit annoying of having the huge because I'm at USC now with a bunch of the edit's like come on.
Speaker 2: But in general I like it. You've moved over to USC. I still am at Theedars for certain things. Yeah, I'm over there, forderm. I'm over there. Hey.
Speaker 1: The other bad thing about theaters, specifically not the NYU and not the New York place is the parking garages. And it is fucked and we live in a really fucked up world, but not Yeah, paying for parking to go to a hospital in a garage is like weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it just doesn't make sense. Yeah you have I have to pay every time I go to my doctor. Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: And there's all these garages all over. Yeah, Cedars is actually more stressful. I like this kind of but I like being in the groups.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I agree.
Speaker 1: There's such professionalism and it's just my childhood PTSD from going to like I don't know, backdoor Russian doctors that took our HML, Like I mean, we would sit in the waiting room for hours, hours and everyone is just old and it really like when I first went to my first like doctors as my own adult. I was like, oh, what what are we eve been up to? These Russians are wild? Wait, you'll love this.
Speaker 3: I went to I remember how I gave I told you my dermatologist and then you could never get in with her, and so you got this other guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I had to go to my dermatologist just to get a quick shot, and he was available and she wasn't. So I was like, yeah, I'll go to him. They put me in a room for so long that the lights went out. The lights turned off in the room because they're motion centered lights, and I was just scrolling on my phone and the shot took approximately thirty seconds. But I don't I think they knew what everybody needed or whatever. So he was very apologies because I went out into the hallway when the lights went out, and I.
Speaker 2: Went, did you let him know that we met each other?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I try not to violate hippa.
Speaker 1: But I was like, do you remember what woman who they thought had shingles but it wasn't shingles at all?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Do you remember that?
Speaker 2: But I was like, I just went out too the hallway.
Speaker 3: I was like, guys, the lights went out, you've left me in here for so long, I'd become a piece of furniture, like you have to come, let me like, and they were like, so sorry, and then he and then he wouldn't stop apologizing. He was apologizing too much. And I was like, it's fine, I get it, I get it. It's busy, it's the holidays. Two doctors called out, I understand, it's busy. Just shoot me up, you know, like, let's go. And then he just kept being like and thank you again, I'm so sorry. I was like, sir, enough, but it was just funny.
Speaker 1: I bet he's like, I bet everyone at the synagogue's trying to set their daughters up with him. Oh my god. Yeah, a dermatologist, Come on, all right, I mean they're booked up a year in advance. Like there, it's fucked up. I mean, the amount of time we talk about dermatologists appointments on this podcast. She sends, Okay, everyone's doing their jobs. Okay, So Benson goes to the hospital. That's that's where this all fell apart. Okay, So we're back at the hospital. Ellie's unresponsive. The doc says it's one of the worst head injuries she's ever seen in a long time life support mom flew in from California two days ago and only just now went to get some rest after the doctor was like, you need to go. And so then they go to the boyfriend and he missed, like the stab missed his heart by a quarter of an inch, which is small.
Speaker 2: So he's on pain meds. But they go talk to him.
Speaker 1: Anyways, he says he was laying awake in his car and she went to use the camp shower and then he heard a noise, grabbed his knife. He saw a man standing over her and she was on the ground near the shower. The guy, he says, his white long hair beard.
Speaker 2: The weapon.
Speaker 1: He goes, well, yeah, the rock and he says that he went to defend her, and he goes out a lot of good that did. And so it's like, well, how did the guy get your pocket knife? And he's like, I don't know. I'm not that good of a fighter. He probably took it from me. I felt pain in my stomach and chest and then I woke up in the helicopter. And he says, this is around two or three am. Why were they you know, why she's showering so late? He says, they did have sex, and so he says that this dude, though look dirty and he was hiking for a while, and he asks about Ellie and he says that he should be there because she must be scared. And then Benson says, why don't you stay here and just stay strong for Allie? And then Benson and Glasses leave, So what are they thinking? So now we go to the Bear Mountain campsite and they're Bruno and Silva are there, And can I just tell you throughout this episode, like it is crazy how I've not learned Velasco's name in all these years. Every time I'm about to type his name in, I have to pause for six seconds and be like, Octavio, but that's not his name? What's yeah? I think it's like it's never in real life sticks out over Velasco.
Speaker 2: I think that too. I do that too. I go Octavio, what's.
Speaker 3: His real what's his name on the show? Like, what's Velasco's first name? I don't know what is it? Dominic Velasco?
Speaker 1: No? I think that's why they let him go though, No, yeah, Joe, Joe also Joe at all, He's a Joe Velasco.
Speaker 2: That, yeah, they never call him Joe.
Speaker 1: But that's interesting now that you were talking about Dominick Creasy is not in this episode. Yeah, yeah, credit only. Yeah wow, I wonder if he wanted the week off. So Rockland County meets Bruno and Silva at the scene, and Silva sees something that everyone missed, you know, she sees the rock and she's like, but why would he throw it? Like a guy with a knife is running at you and you throw a rock away and not use it, Like, why wouldn't you use it against this guy with the knife? And Bruno questions her, like not knowing the timing of when things happened and Chris was found also at the other markers, Oh, there's a pool of blood, but if he walked there from over there, where's the blood trail? And then she sees some trees and there's some holes in the tree and Bruno's like, they're just trail markers maybe or an animal. She goes, are you this much of a contrarian when it's you're out here with Finn And he says, no, he does, you know, he knows that he is not. But then it hits Silva that like they are marks and they could mean something and she wants to see the knife. But then we cut to Benson and Glasses walking out of the hospital when a doctor stops them and goes. Ellie's mother is back and she wants to talk to you. And this seems like I did think this was so crazy, like to do this giant setup for just to go back to the hospital like you're shooting for, like just to be like just to walk outside a little and be like, come back in. I mean, I love the dedication to the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it seems like so much like it could have happened, like getting into the elevator, like don't go you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm curious, I mean, so much effort. So now we meet the mom who's like, hey, I heard you talk to Chris. What did he say? Does he know who did this? And they fill her in on the investigation, and she really cares about him and how he's going to be doing.
Speaker 2: She says that they were soulmates.
Speaker 1: She seems very like, you know, kindergarten Jesus, I would say the mom, Yeah, yeah, kindergarten teacher, not like a child's like she you know, she maybe teaches the Sunday school at church and donates the money after and.
Speaker 2: By the way, this Jesus.
Speaker 3: The mom is played by Jamil Williamson, who I recognize as Tom's ex wife from Parks and rec But she's in tons of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well for me, it's the good place in this but yeah, yeah, she has sweaters in this in this episode. Yes, you'll see a variety of sweaters here. But she's a hopeful woman. And she says that her daughter was an introvert and that Chris helped her find her voice and that maybe he can help her again. And she of course believes that, you know, her daughter is alive and squeezing her hand and communicating, but like the doctors want to take her off life support immediately. So Benson goes, why don't you show me the hand squeezing. It doesn't happen. It doesn't happen. Benson asks to try. It's not happening. So Benson goes, how about we let her rest and don't worry, like we're gonna find out who did this. And Benson now goes to talk to the doctor and he goes, listen, seventy two hours no brain activity. He's like, there's no movement, speech, breathing, nothing on her own, and I don't believe in the hand squeezing. He goes, this isn't the first time I've seen a parent think their brain dead child is sending them signs. It's just a reflex, cold blooded, like he thinks that when people hang on, it's usually best for them and not for the patient. She asks about the rape kit. He goes, listen, she was on my table for nine hours. It wasn't top of my priority list. But Ellie's mom has consented to it, and we will do it right away. So now we're at the lab and we're looking at the rock. It's pink granite. Okay, who cares? But Silva goes, I don't care about this rock. Oh. She's like me, yeah, we don't care about the rock. What's up with the knife? And it's just a photo of the knife? And she goes, what are we talking? Why would you bring me here to look at the photo of the knife, And he goes, oh, the labs were inconclusive, like the Prince, so he sent them to Quantico. She's fucking pissed. She needs that knife. Bruno's being annoying as fuck, Like usually I'm obsessed with him, so annoyed. This episode, he's arguing with her and she's like, well, we have something, we know something is missing, like the fuck, and so it is back to teamwork time. They've looked into the negative comments and followers. That are strange, but they only had eighteen hundred followers. That's something to think about. Yeah, it's not far off from the r case. Yeah, oh really yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh but the case seemed such big news.
Speaker 1: I assumed that they were like really huge influencers.
Speaker 2: Oh well, we'll get into it.
Speaker 1: But I know, okay, yeah, I am yeah. I kind of like put my head like an Ostrich during that. I wasn't really involved, and I'm glad you're gonna teach me. So okay, eighteen but it is only a two month trips or whatever. But I didn't I didn't really catch in the beginning of the episode that they were new at this.
Speaker 2: So Silva's like.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, fuck the Internet, Like, you know, people have an online persona and then a real life persona, and you can tell a lot about a person with the distance between the two.
Speaker 2: I fucking love that Silva's in siphles as fuck.
Speaker 1: I was really into the way she phrased that and I feel like I'm going to think about it a lot.
Speaker 2: We could have given Silva another season.
Speaker 3: I don't know why we had to get rid of her to get this guy in, but I guess the guy is the tie for Olivia to the boss and all that. But like, I don't know, the last she was similar because she had got a dad who was on the job and was pretty high up.
Speaker 2: Oh so Silva has a dad that was on the job. Yeah, So I'm like, why did I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, yeah, but yeah, and I love that and it made me think like, oh, yeah, I know. Yeah, the distance between the two suspicious. So there's a college roommate who commented and DM so they're gonna go talk to her. Benson gets a ping, the DNA is back, the semen is Chris is and you know, he did say they had sex, but there was a nurse who said there was saliva in her hair and that saliva did not match the victims. So fucking someone spit on Ellie. So and this makes Silva very upset, and Finn is like, well, it could be the perp, and you know, let's figure let's figure stuff out. So Finn and Silver are with this college roomy, and she talked to Ellie that day and her and Chris were bickering, and she thinks Ellie just needed to like vent And they got pulled over the day before and almost got a ticket, and Finn says, why would people argue about a ticket they almost got And She's like, well, you know, they've been stuck in a cart together for a few months. And so she texted her friend from college a little later though, from a bar, and she was all alone, and it was about midnight, and it's not a usual thing for her to go drinking alone. She sounded drunk, and but the bar was near the campsite, and the bartender was a redheaded guy who loaded her up with free I don't really use the term loaded up, do you. I'm gonna get loaded. I don't do that loaded.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But since you told me your mom says blotto, I have heard blotto more often and I wonder if I wouldn't have caught that My.
Speaker 3: Mom loves blotto and polluted both polluted. That has guys just polluted last night? Or what I say it wasted blackout? I really went after it. Yeah, wasted, bombed, I say bombed.
Speaker 2: I'll be like, oh my god, he was bombed.
Speaker 1: Oh I don't say that. Yeah, So we're going to the bat. We're going to the bar Bear Mountain Brewery and great name. He is going outside to smoke. So Finn and Velasko go to talk to him, and he says, who the hell are you and they explain that they're there to talk about Ellie and he's like, oh, that chick that got attacked horrible. So he does admit that he served her, but he denies the spit and then he's definitely like, I didn't rape nobody.
Speaker 2: He got an alibi, not a good one.
Speaker 1: He went home after a shift, but his baby mama will confirm that, And so they ask how she would feel knowing that he was like loading up a young girl with free drinks, and he goes, look, so I hit on her. I gave her some whiskey, sodas, some free all night and then nothing.
Speaker 2: She was just being a tease.
Speaker 1: And they're like, okay, how about we swab your mouth and that'll that'll take care of this easily, and he gets antsy, jittery, and he's like, okay, fine, I was pissed and I you know, I drank you know, I let her drink all night and she left. I do wonder if she tipped, though, I bet she tipped, right, you don't think she tips.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: They're like, they're like, I don't know, I don't know if it's if it's like the real story. They're like scrimping and saving on the on the thing, you know, and there's there's.
Speaker 2: A bit of a connection to the real story too.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I gotta get okay, all right, let's get I got it, look okay. So so Octavio's pissed about it though, and he goes, you spit on her, and he puts out his cigarette with it, and he goes yeah, and then womp womp, blue and red lights pop off, and he goes, what the fuck? And they go New York spitting is considered a sault. You're under arrest, dummy, and that's a fin. Finn says that, and he's like, come on, just a little spit. But he's he's handcuffed and he's out of there. So now Sylvan and Benson are with the boyfriend in the hospital, telling him about the spit and how they talk to Kaylee, the college roommate, and He gets nervous because you know, he never mentioned she went to the bar, and you see him thinking, and to me, it's obvious that he's lying. But he says that she said she was gonna do laundry, and Benson goes, sure, but why wouldn't you tell us that? And he's like, I don't know, but like and so whatever, he's being annoying, and she goes, well, any idea why she should go drinking alone?
Speaker 2: He has no idea.
Speaker 1: And this guy is an incredible actor, and he's like, do you think someone followed her home from the bar? Why don't you tell us Chris. Benson says that, why don't you tell us Chris? And so he goes, oh, that does explain something. That dude smelled like booze who stabbed me? And Chris's mom walks in right at that moment, and she's not as calm as soft as Ellie's mom.
Speaker 2: I would say.
Speaker 1: She has hoop earrings, which indicates trash, and a messy bun, which indicates working class.
Speaker 2: So right, yeah, for the show, and I wear hoops all the time.
Speaker 1: But like me talking about the symbolism of the show, like this is like a working class mother.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's she's giving to me dragon'sa matteo and pop, you're not talking to my son, let's go you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah yeah and so and she's like, I want you guys out of here. It's nine PM and my son was almost murdered. And she's like, you're not even Rockland County. Where the fuck are you coming from? And it's like, how do you know who? Like what districts they're from? But they explain SVU and she goes, what's that? And it's like, I wonder if this show is in the universe. Like it's like, you don't know what SVU means, you know what I mean? Yeah, Like I wonder if these people have a show like a like, is dick Wolf in the in the dick Wolf universe?
Speaker 2: That's my question. I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Like the only time they've like been on a set of a show was the one episode we did Obscene.
Speaker 3: You know, and then there's the episode we haven't done yet where there there's like a Bachelor type show, but it's not even the real Bachelor, you know. So I think that media and television always a little bit skewed, and so there might be some show called like sex police or something, but it's not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I like what I will? I like want to know how and I just like that. But the mom is shocked when she finds out. She goes sex crimes, Why are you involved? And they're like, Ellie was found half naked with sperm and spit on her And Chris tells her about the bar, and Benson's like, someone could have followed her, and she flips okay, and she flips out the mom and she goes, okay, my son was stabbed twice. He's also a victim. It's like no one said he's not. She's so white lives matter. I like, I can't. Chris apologizes for his mom and says they can come back tomorrow. On the way out, he answers the question from earlier that the mom interrupted about, like the alcohol in the guy's breath, and he says whiskey. Benson nods and stars Silva goes, oh, whiskey, isn't that what they were drinking? And Benson's like, well, I mean the roommates said they were fighting and got pulled over, and you know that's not online. But it seems like everything they put online is very highly curated. So let's see the distance of their online in real life personas, please, So we need to figure out get details from the traffic stop and also why she went to the bar in the first place. Silva goes off to do some tasks and then the shot ends on Benson kind of rubbing her hands together and like, how do you describe this?
Speaker 2: Like a washing hand motion? Yeah it is?
Speaker 1: Or like yeah, an evil plot, but a good plot thinking hands, I would.
Speaker 2: Say a washing hand motion, isn't that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like where your hands were kind of doing a dance and swirling around each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So and now it's office time and it's all hands on deck, including the FBI guy. So Silva is a hero because she figured out like that they were pulled over the day before they attack in Georgia. This is a little hole, so you're telling me in two days on this trip, they went from Georgia to Rockland County and not stopping.
Speaker 3: A lot of that is hikeable, Like that's the Appalachian drill. Like that's what I mean when you stop and like hike and visit places, like you're just skipping North Carolina, like the Carolinas in Maryland and all like a correct yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they're not even in rush, Like why wouldn't they make it instead of Georgia, make it Carolina Virginia.
Speaker 3: Why wouldn't you Why wouldn't you literally just make it Pennsylvania like the day before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really confused me. So there, and there's no report because there's no ticket. So Finn and Velasco go talk to those officers on a zoom call on like a big scream, and he goes, oh, what happened to that couple is a sin lol. So he says they behaved right, but he could tell something was off when he pulled them over because Ellie had a bruise on her arm and she said it she got it while hiking in kick Colorado and look, yeah, whatever, I guess they're really zooming through in between hikes like, so Velasco asks if he believed that that's how she got it, and he's like, well, every time I asked her a question, she looked at Chris before answering and not wanting to say something is wrong. But he goes, this isn't the first time I've seen a woman try to cover up like for her jackass boyfriend and Finn goes, don't I know it, So there's not enough to arrest him, but something was off with him, and they asked about bodycamp footage and he's like, well, I don't even have a choice, and it's like they turn it off all the time, and that's how a bunch of the evidence for Luigi's gonna get thrown out like whatever. And so now we're watching the footage and it's clear that she's in distress and shaking and nervous and looking like over like fuck, like she looks like a scared person.
Speaker 2: The bruise is so bad, it's so fresh.
Speaker 1: There's no way that Bruce would be that fresh from Colorado to Georgia. I just they really have to get a new geography person on the staff. And she's clearly lying about the bruise. She says she's fine, but she's not. And then Rockland County never said anything about the bruise, and Bruno's like, Captain, what are you thinking? She goes, I've seen that look on a woman's face before, and Silva said, so do I, and it's like obvious she is scared of Chris. There is no whiskey mountain man Benson goes like, we know what they posted online, what did they edit out? Go through the footage, So there's tons of footage Silva and Bruno's looking through all of it, and then finally in one of it, a tripod falls and Bruno's being like patronizing as fuck, and like, I don't know, He's just like, this is just one of those cases. It's gonna get under your skin. She goes, you know, this is poetic. We're about to learn a lot about her before they kick her to the curb. So she goes, it's strange to watch someone's happy moments knowing they might never forget one again. Oh dark, He says, we haven't found anything damning, and she goes, well, there's a lot more footage, and he's like seems annoyed, and it's also like you want a lawsuit. You don't even have to be working, so like, what are you doing. So finally there's a video of her doing yoga and it's in a really pretty place like mountains behind her in a trail like water, and they're arguing though and about the focus of the camera, and he screams and he rushes at her as the camera tips, so you can only see them from the waist down, and he's like, I'm sick of this. You're such a wasted time. This is a waste of time. Are you stupid? Are you stupid?
Speaker 2: Ellie?
Speaker 1: And then he fucking punches her and you hear the punch and so that's probably how she got the bruise. So Bruno's like, okay, yeah, so then so then Bruno goes, so you really think this kid almost killed his girlfriend then stabbed himself twice? You were right, and we need to get that knife. So he could have just helped her from the beginning. But okay, Benson in the FBI, it's like so annoying. Benson and the FBI show him the video of the traffic stop, and you know, it's like Chris and the mom and she's like, they didn't even get a ticket.
Speaker 2: Who cares? And why are you showing us this?
Speaker 1: And Benson and girlns the mom and just asks Chris like how did she get this bruise? And he goes hiking and she goes, did you tell her to say that?
Speaker 2: And Ellie?
Speaker 1: And he says, Ellie has her own mind, And then they show him the video of him clearly punching her a lot of iPad time in this episode, and she says, so, I'm gonna ask you again how did she get that bruise? And he starts to excuse his behavior and it's like, well, you just also lied, so nothing. I hate everyone. He's such a good actor. I hate him and surprised so does his mom. Okay, like the mom doesn't. The mom is okay with the behavior too. He says, we've been a couple for two years, and the mom goes, every couple fights and he goes, so I lost my temper on the road. I'm sorry, and then there's tense music and then it hits him like and then he goes, wait, do you think I tried to kill her?
Speaker 2: Like truly shocked?
Speaker 1: And the mom goes yeah, and then stabbed himself twice, once in the heart. Okay, And he goes, what about the guy who's spit on her? And the FBI guy's like, well, there's an alibi, bro, So he said maybe with someone else, and then the mom yells, what have you even done anything to find this other person?
Speaker 2: And it's like, yeah, you dumb bitch.
Speaker 1: Benson goes, the problem with that, Chris is that person doesn't exist and that's a stone cold line. And then did you watch any of John Cena's final match? No, I can't say that I did. I didn't even know that that was the thing.
Speaker 2: I thought John Cena stopped wrestling a long.
Speaker 1: Time ago, I know, but now he like officially is like out like final match type things.
Speaker 2: And how was the final match? I don't know.
Speaker 1: There's just there's a waitress that works at the Fat Black and she's obsessed. So I watched videos of her crying watching it, and like she was showing me photos of it. But and then a couple of people were explaining like that the Rock was signed on to do this huge storyline with him, and then after doing it once backed out and kind of fucked Seena's storyline, so it wasn't even what he truly wanted. Like, I guess there's been some drama. Do you pay attention to this case?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Right? Came an era, end of an era? Yeah, the Jorts. I like him. I want to meet John Cena. I worked with him. He was really cool. Oh my god, I forgot about what not whiplash whiplash, wipe out, wipe out, wipe bus.
Speaker 2: That was fun and did you like him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I, well, he's like way funnier than most like athletes that you like. He's he's got good comic timing, and he like loved Nicole so much, so he was just like, you know, he was like always talking to her and asking about something.
Speaker 2: But I would say, like he's kind of private.
Speaker 3: He's really private about like his wife and where he lives and like talking about personal stuff. I would say, I just like noticed that about a couple of things when people ask him stuff, like you know, But I was just listening to him and Nicole chat in my earpiece.
Speaker 2: Ah, they were cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he seems great. I hope he's not on the Epstein list.
Speaker 2: I doubt it. I did too, But.
Speaker 1: You never know.
Speaker 3: Rosey's obsessed with John cenacause they mention him in one of her favorite like sitcoms that she watches now, and so she's always like John Zino, like she's talking about what scom is she watching the Thunderman's Oh my god, I can't believe she's that sitcom age. Oh yeah, she loves the fucking Thundermans. And now she's talking even more like a sitcom child all the time.
Speaker 2: It's crazy. What does a sitcom child sound like?
Speaker 3: You know, well, Jared and I are kind of doing this like on stage where we'll be like now she's like she's be like, uh, Mom, don't go in there, you know what I mean, Like just like this really canned way of kids talking.
Speaker 2: She'd be like, I told you, mom, that's just ask her. You know.
Speaker 3: It's like very like the way that like the show will freeze frame and be like created by whatever. Like that's how she talks now, not all the time, but and it's like exacerbated by this fucking the Thundermans, which is so Nickelodeon like classic.
Speaker 2: I can't believe it.
Speaker 1: So okay, back to back to this, back to the tragedy, back to the tragedy. So oh yeah, this stone call, I'm like, what, it's always fun to find out how your brain moved to different task. And so Chris goes, well, obviously someone saw her showering and tried to rape her. And and then she's by the way, is there more than one DNA besides the spit like his DNA is, well, that's why it's tried to Okay, got it, and then he came to save it. So that's what he said. He goes, yeah, I went to protect her. Yeah, that to me, And it's like, well, who do you think that is? The dirty man with the beard that you later conveniently remembered as whiskey?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Did you plan all that? Baby? And I mean, this scene is theater. I love it.
Speaker 1: I'm obsessed. But and it's like, clearly it's because Ellie had whiskey on her breath and you're fine. I mean, this guy's slick as fuck. And the mom goes, why does it feel like we should get a lawyer? And the man goes, cause you do. And so the mom shuts it down and Chris goes, no, I did nothing wrong. I want to help, and the mom goes shut up, and Benson goes, let us know when you get a lawyer. Benson an FBI guy walk outside and he's like, so, what's the theory. She goes, he did it, that's it, and we need to get that knife back from Quantico asap. So we're back in the woods and we get the knife and you know, Silva's about to put it in those fucking tree holes and it's going to fit perfectly, and we could have just done this right in the beginning he stabbed himself. He ran into the tree. We know it. It fits perfectly like those kid toys shape, you know, shape and shape holes. So then Bruno takes the knife to like test it out since he's a similar height to Chris, and it's right on the heart and in the sternham level, and Silva goes, so should we test it if it also fits in the stomach part too, And he goes, okay, I think you've made your point. And it's like I would truly never let him live this down and he ran straight into the fucking tree, and Bruno goes, that's pretty hardcore, and Silva goes, I don't think he was planning to live. So Bruno goes, he's gonna wish he didn't live. Once Benson gets through with him, and Benson's telling Ellie's mom and she's like, no fucking way. She's son distraught. She says, why don't we ask Ellie? And Benson goes, I don't. I don't know about that, and so but then of course she will, so Benson and is asking, you know, holding her hand and squeezing in, go squeeze my hand if if it's Chris, you know, they zoom in on the hands and she's like, squeeze my hand.
Speaker 2: If it's Chris. Tell me if it's Chris, did Chris.
Speaker 1: Do this to you? And yes, she squeezes the hand. So the FBI and Benson walk in the hospital to you know, it's a few floors away to arrest his ass. Since she squeezed the hand, they have a warrant. They are scared that it's not enough evidence. But uh oh, even worse, where the fuck is he? He checked out a half hour ago, So why are you running? You didn't do anything. Why are you running?
Speaker 2: They pull up to.
Speaker 1: The mom's house, so she's putting groceries in her car, and it's like tons of red and blue cars Velasco's approaching her and she says, he's not here, and I have no idea where he is.
Speaker 2: How would that make sense?
Speaker 1: Your son just got shot twice, you were with him the whole time, and you have no idea where your shot son is?
Speaker 2: Like, in what world would anyone believe you? We all know you're lying. It's so silly.
Speaker 1: And then out of the grocery bag is a box of puffins cereal And I need to know more information on the props.
Speaker 2: Did they get a spot? Like, what the fuck? Puffins are a Trader Joe brand, aren't they? I used to buy them at Jewell.
Speaker 1: Maybe they became a Trader Joe thing, but I've had I've been I've been a Puffins fan for a bit. Oh okay, I always thought it was a Trader Joe because I've gotten them at Sprouts too.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, yeah, the brand is actually Barbara's. Puffat's. Barbara's is the brand. So maybe they just sell them at or whatever. But yeah, the Puffins caught my eye as well as.
Speaker 2: Theah fully out of the bag.
Speaker 1: It's like, halfway up the bag, you see the full puffin, like you, it's the I just wanted to maybe like Dick Wolf invested in Barbara's.
Speaker 3: Like it just seems like so wild because you don't see a lot of name brand shit in SVU.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: No. And so then they pop the gate to this truck, and of course he's in the truck hiding there. So they're going to rest the mom too. So now we're in cement room bars and she goes, I need a lawyer. I did nothing wrong. I did nothing illegal. I'm just being a mother. They're like well, you helped him escape, and she goes the FBI captain already made up their minds and that he did it, and Finn goes, yeah, and that's actually based on the evidence, but the mom refuses to accept that.
Speaker 2: She goes, that's not Chris. I know Chris.
Speaker 1: That's not Chris, and Velaska goes, well, maybe I don't know him as well as you think, and she goes, yeah, yeah, I wasn't a good mother. Get over it. I had a lot going on. And Ben's like, okay, so you want to make up for twenty five years of bad parenting with aiding and embedding an attempted murderer and she says, I'm protecting my child what any mother would do. And she says the cops and FBI are going to be sorry because they screwed this case up. The real killer's still out there, and Finn goes, nah, babe, it's staring you all in your like it's your son, and she screams that he loves Ellie and then she screams, I'm a good mother.
Speaker 2: I am I am.
Speaker 1: Benson is watching the iPad of him punching, you know, the arm, over and over again in the iPad and so then the cemetroom bars door opens, Chris is broad in. Benson gets up and goes, like, you can sit here, and he's with a suit lawyer who says, hey, we're here to cooperate. Chris tells the lawyer like, I told them everything, and Benson goes, that's not true at all. You didn't tell us what went wrong between you and Ellie. You are really in love and no care in the world, right, So what's up? And he starts crying. He's like, we were happy, and Benson goes, then what happened? We know you hit her. We assume that wasn't the first time, and we know it wasn't the last. And Benson shows Ellie with tubes in her mouth and says, look at her, and he won't. And she says again, look at her and he will not. All that joy and life ahead of her, But now doctors want to take her off life support?
Speaker 2: And look at what you did to her?
Speaker 1: And he slowly looks at the photo and goes, I didn't do it and shakes his head, and Benson goes, do you always run away from the things you didn't do? Is that what you're going to do? Live in the bed of your mother's truck forever. And the lawyer is screaming, stop it, stop it, that's enough, and but Benson continues to scream, and finally he cracks, she's so good at her job. I didn't mean too We got him. We got into a fight, and I woke We got into a.
Speaker 2: Fight, my girl, she got him. We got into a fight. I woke up and she was gone.
Speaker 1: I laid awake for waiting for her, and then I heard the shower turn on, and I got up and I saw her undressing and she was mad when she left, and then like she smelled like booze, and then she was going to go in the shower. And Benson goes, oh, so you assume she cheated on you, right, and so you flew into a rage and he goes, yeah, I grabbed a rock and I hit her, and it's finally all out there. He says I wasn't trying to kill her, and Benson looks at him, like the dirt he is. So then Benson says, the sex that night wasn't consensual, was it?
Speaker 2: Chris?
Speaker 1: You raped Ellie to remind her who was in control. Then you stabbed yourself twice so you would look like the victim. And he goes, no, I was trying to kill myself. I didn't want to live without Ellie, and Benson goes, that's what it looks like in your posts, Chris, but there's a very big disconnect between those photos and the way you actually treated her. And he says he wants to go back, and she shows him Ellie with all the tubes. Again, you can't. It's too late for that, and then the tablet thuds on the table door slams. He has left there. Bruno and Silva are alone in the office and we're gonna learn about her again. Why did they like this is almost the end of this Oh no, it's the beginning of the season. I'm like, why would they make us like know her full backstory and then like rid of her sofa?
Speaker 3: I just well, they did with Silva, move her to another show on dick Way, so maybe it was like they wanted. I think she joined another show. I'm almost positive. Okay, this actress whose name is Juliana Aiden Martinez, I think she moved on to like FBI or something like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so yeah, they're having like a moment Benson's gone off to the hospital and Bruno goes, you know what I haven't figured out about you. Why you switch from homicide to sex crimes. You might be you must be a masochist or something. And it's like, you work in sex crimes? Are you a masochist? I don't, I just she says, Okay, I was having a sleepover at my best friend's fifth floor walk up in Washington Heights, and this is when she was a kid, and she goes, I went to pee and I heard a noise and I looked outside and a woman was being attacked by some guy in the street. And I saw an old lady in the window watching, and I assumed she would call the cops, but she didn't.
Speaker 2: She just watched.
Speaker 1: No one did. And then she scoffs and goes, yeah, and she went on with her life because the next day she gets up and turns the corner to head home, and the whole place was a crime scene. And she later found out the woman was raped and murdered and that was that. And so he goes, oh, okay, you got the pendance on the murder, and you want some penance for the rape, And she says something like that to Bruno. He sits down at his desk across from her and they start clickity clacking on their laptops. And then back at the hospital, Benson talks to Ellie and thanks her for being so incredibly strong and for helping us find the truth. But what I really wanted you to know is that we got him and he's going away for a long time and he will never hurt anyone again because of you. And she is so sad and she you know. She holds Ellie's hand and Benson says, I just hope you know that. And it's a slow zoom out and that's Dickwolf Baby.
Speaker 3: Obviously, this episode came out when twenty twenty four, So this is based on the story of Gabby Petito, which was a international I would say, headline making crime.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna go through that.
Speaker 3: I mean, I it's like, it's interesting the stuff that happens while this podcast has existed, Like I'm always like, oh, I'm following, but then I'm like, I know, I'm gonna have to research it heavily one day. So I knew the general about this, but I didn't know a lot of the details. So I was actually happy to research it for today. So but yeah, this this is the story of Gabby Patito. And she grew up on Long Island, where she graduated high school in twenty seventeen, and she seemed like a happy kid, an amazing artist like drawing and really great artists, and high school is where she met Brian Christopher Laundry, though they did not start dating until years after graduation in twenty nineteen, when she was like around twenty. When they got together, she quickly moved down to Florida to be with him because I guess that's where his parents had moved.
Speaker 2: And for a while it was great in Florida.
Speaker 3: You know, all her social posts show that she's like having a good time and like they're going to the beach and stuff, and there's pictures of her with Brian's mom and stuff. But then apparently the mom got more comfortable with her being around and started being a little bit meaner to Gabby, and apparently it was a little bit jealous of how much time Gabby and Brian spent together, and the vibes in the house got awkward. According to some of her friends, like very hashtag boy mom. This woman you'll find out more. According to Gabby's mom in the documentary on Netflix called American Murder Gabby Patito, which is one of my sources that I would recommend everybody watch if they were want to get a visual on you know this how this whole case went down. They thought at one point, Gabby's forwarding a dress got forwarded back from the USPS, like from the US Postal Service. It got forwarded back to her parents in Long Island, and the mom calls up Gabby and she's like, oh, are you moving back home?
Speaker 2: Did you forward your dress?
Speaker 3: And she's like, I didn't do that, and like but she knew it was like her like not mother in law, but her boyfriend's mom like forwarded her shit back up to like I think trying to get her out of there. So it felt like her mom wanted her out of the house. She Gabby made a really good friend through Bumble friends, Rose Davis. They became really good friends in Florida and Rose was like, I had no friends I met Gabby.
Speaker 2: We were just like instant click. We got close really quickly.
Speaker 3: We would like hang around, make tiktoks, like Rose would drive delivery for Dominoes and Gabby would just drive around in her car with her, and there's like videos of them like having fun and just like you know know, fucking around being like two cute girls, like just being buddies. And uh, Rose was like said, what a bunch of people said about Brian was that he's like a nice guy, like polite, nice, but something felt a little bit off and she felt Rose felt like she felt he had a dark side, and then he seemed manipulative, like he would treat her really badly and then he would be like, I'm so sorry and start crying, and then he'd do something really nice for her, and she'd completely forget.
Speaker 2: Like one time she was supposed to meet Rose to go somewhere.
Speaker 3: I think they were going to a concert or something, and they had to drive a little bit far away and she's like, oh my god, I got to your house and I realized that in in my ID, so I went home to get it, and it turned out he had taken her wallet. He had taken her wallet because he didn't want her to go out. So these fucking like little controlling things that people are like, oh what, you know, harmless, It's like they all add up. Yeah, So Gabby and Brian both worked at Publics just shout out to a great grocery store in the South Publics. They both quit their jobs when COVID hit in early twenty twenty, and then in July of twenty twenty, they got engaged. They went camping, he got down on one knee to propose, and then, according to what he told a friend, was like, even though he didn't have a ring, at the moment that he was proposing to her, a firefly.
Speaker 2: Landed on her ring finger.
Speaker 3: So they were always like nature wants us to be together, right, So at first she like didn't tell people, like her mom, like I think saw one of his family members or somebody like posted on Facebook and was like, are you guys engaged? Like called her daughter to be like are you guys engaged? And she's like, oh, yeah, we just got engaged on this camping trip or whatever. And so at this point, if they're getting engaged in twenty twenty, yeah, she's like twenty one, and she's just like not telling everybody immediately, which I think people are catching as another red flag. And here's a weird thing the documentary. And I don't know how you feel about this, because I've watched a lot of documentaries with the'll just get a voiceover person to read the person's voice as they're reading out text messages or journal entries or something like that. In this one, they're using voice recognition technology to make it sound like Gabby because there is so much Gabby. There's so much of her, like just through social media making like, you know, posts that there's enough of her voice that they did that. So this doc has her like reading out journal entries and it's just kind of weird. But I mean, I don't like where we're going with this now, Yeah, we don't need it. It doesn't make it since it's disgusting, honestly, Yeah, like it could just be somebody reading it. And it's like it's just a little eerie because you hear so much of her speaking in real life in the video in the in the dock, because there's so much video of her, But then to have the journal entries be read like she participated in the dock is weird, you know, because she didn't.
Speaker 2: Participate in the dock.
Speaker 3: So anyway, December of twenty twenty, they bought a van. They converted it into a camper. It's like a Ford transit is the kind of van it is. It's like a smaller van, like bigger than a mini van obviously, but not like a sprinter. And it's and they converted into a camper and their hope is to like travel cross country and start a van life blog, which you know, van life is like people that convert these vans, they travel around. It's like kind of I've never seen a life look more like, Hell, you have to be so tidy, so minimal, so like this has to go here and here and here because you're just in there. You're got to un the septic tanks, the parking, I mean, the protection, the peeing, the shah, I mean, I can't imagine a worse fate for myself.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely not for me.
Speaker 3: It feels like it's almost like trying to one up the tiny home life. Like all these people were doing tiny homes and then people are like, how about we put that home on wheels and we like move around, So like they're trying to do this van life stuff. Really that's Gabby's goal, right, she wants to do that stuff. She fucking hustles to make money for this adventure. She starts working at Taco Bell for fifty hours a week and she's having a good time. She's like, yep, I have to tell everybody to have a spicy day or whatever, and I fucking love it. Like she's having a nice time, just like making friends at work, and she's just like a nice kid, Like she just seems like she gets along with people. She's easy going, and she's working long ass hours to try to make money for them to go on this adventure.
Speaker 2: And she's the one that buys the van. And meanwhile Brian.
Speaker 3: Is possessive and he's texting her shit like I fucking hate that you ever worked at Taco Bell with all those low lives and now you've become one of them. Shit like that, And the text between them show a lot of emotional manipulation, like he'll be like, oh my god, I'm sorry I said that. I'm crying so hard right now, I'm in the I'm so afraid you're gonna leave me, And then it's just her like taking it all on that she's made him cry, and like all her texts back are like.
Speaker 2: No, babe, I'm not going to leave.
Speaker 3: I love you so much, it's fine, Like you're okay. I wanted you to have a happy day, like it's such emotional manipulation like that. He just cries and is like, it's kind of your fault or whatever. And then she did she does, like in the text, also stand up for herself and is like, I don't like it when you talk badly to me.
Speaker 2: I don't like it when you call me names.
Speaker 3: And it got to a point where her friend says, in the dock, she started to see like what was going on? What was going on, and he could tell she could tell, and so he started to isolate her, right, So so suddenly he's on board with this trip. Suddenly he's like, let's go. They leave June of twenty twenty one, like literally, I think that they got into some kind of fight, like right before that, and in June, like the next month, the friend goes, she's gone. The next month, they leave Florida, they go up to New York to see I think her brother was graduating high school or something like that.
Speaker 2: They want to go do that.
Speaker 3: Then July second, twenty twenty one, they set off from New York on their four month van life road trip. Okay, so obviously the show flips it so that they're coming west to East because they have to end up in SVU territory, right, So she documented a lot of what they were doing on Instagram, and she was shooting a lot of footage to try to do YouTube, and then you kind of see her like learning how to vlog. There's like so much footage where she's like, oh wait, does that shot look bad? And she's like redoing it, and you could just tell she's like really dedicated to it. She's not necessarily like I'm not trying to insult a victim or anything, but like she's not necessarily like amazing at like talking to the camera right away. And she even says she goes, God, it's so awkward like talking to the camera, you know, and I wouldn't even say that's like something I'm great at, you know, like just talking to yourself on the camera, and because sometimes he's there, but sometimes he's not. You know, Like she does a lot of it on her own, and she's very dedicated to making this vlog thing like her career. Like she has a drone she's working on practicing getting these gorgeous drone shots of their camping, like they're going to super super gorgeous places, so that she can get the scenery and like do like the way that in the episode she's doing yoga in a beautiful place, like that's what That's what Gabby's doing. So and her Instagram bio read and still reads traveling the world in our tiny van, and then it also says art, yoga and veggies, so she's, you know, trying to live.
Speaker 2: Like that that life.
Speaker 3: And so apparently Brian kind of thought the vlog was stupid, although there's a lot of footage of them. There's footage of them where he's playing along. He's like, hey, guys, I'm Ryan, and she's like and I'm Gabby, and he's like, and we thought it was time.
Speaker 2: To give you a little tour of our van. Like he's going along with it.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, he needs people to not be suspicious of him or.
Speaker 3: Yes, but also it's like I think he's like he's into it for a little bit, and then I think as soon as he sees that it's something that is going to take any amount of her time away from him, he's like, I don't this is annoying.
Speaker 1: So there my brain went where it's like, yeah, it was all fun and games until she had something else in her life, right, Yeah, what if it works.
Speaker 3: What if this works and it becomes a big blog and she has money and resources and gets the fuck away from me.
Speaker 1: You know, Like it's like so scary. I mean, that's like that's a lesson. As soon as there's a boy, mom, you gotta run. We need to start punishing these people.
Speaker 3: I mean it's like, see, so there is footage of them, just like in the episode, bickering a little bit, like sniping at each other, and that's like out or that the police know that the police found that's in the dock.
Speaker 2: It's in the dock, but it's not in the thing.
Speaker 3: There's nothing where he punches her like in the in the episode, but like them arguing and sniping at each other and her doing it too. She's like, you know, I didn't want that. Why are you giving me that? Like you know, like and whatever. They're living in a band together for four months, it's normal, but that none of that is what people saw. So they're bopping around the West bunch of cool National parks, Monument Rocks, Great Stand and Dune's National Park and Preserve, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Mystic Hot Springs, Canyon Lands like they're going. They're hitting all the hot national parks, which you can now not go to for free anymore on MLKDA, and you will have to go to them for free on Donald Trump's fucking birthday. Kill me anyway, So let's get into this. Is that's all now, That is all backstory leading up till now. August twelfth, twenty twenty one, Gabby and Bryant are spotted fighting in Moab, Utah, And I've been to Moab on my cross country trip during the pandemic, which honestly was a month after this. Oh my god, Wait, did you do a full cross country not cross country but La to Colorado?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we did that in September of twenty twenty one, so a month after this.
Speaker 2: Wow, crazy, I like forgot and I was there. Wow.
Speaker 3: Okay, so somebody So at this point of August twelfth, twenty twenty one, they've been on the road together for forty one days. Okay, someone calls N one one and it's a man that calls on one money. He goes, yeah, I just saw this guy slap this girl. And then they kind of ran up and down the street a little bit, and then they got in the car and they drove away, and so the police pull them over. The police are following them, and there's bodycam footage in the dock where the police are like, oh, yeah, I think I've got the van, and then he goes, whoa because he sees the van hit the curb, like the van is driving erratically and like can't see herb So when they pull them over, Gabby is crying hysterically, and the body cam footage shows her saying to the cops like she's talking to them for a while, and she goes, yeah, I don't know if some days I just I have really bad OCD. I was just cleaning and straightening up the back of the van before I was apologizing to him and saying I'm sorry that I'm so mean, because sometimes I have OCD and sometimes I can get really frustrated, not like mean towards him. I just like my vibe is I'm in a bad mood, and I was just saying sorry if I'm in a bad mood. I just I had so much work I was doing on my computer this morning, and I just now quit my job to travel across the country, and I'm trying to start a blog. So I've been building my website. I've been really stressed and he doesn't really believe that I could do any of it. So we've just been fighting all morning and he wouldn't let me in the car before. He told me I needed to calm down. But I'm perfectly calm. I'm calm all the time, and like you, like your heart's going breaks for her, your heart breaks for her in this she's like so upset just talking to these cops where she's just like you could just tell she's at the end of a rope.
Speaker 2: She's like, I can't get anything fucking right. I think anything right.
Speaker 3: This guy is always he doesn't believe what I can do, like he doesn't believe and what I can do, me working to go on this trip wasn't enough now, like you know, it's this and that, it's I'm straightening up too much, or I'm in a bad mood, or I have too much work on my computer, like he you can just tell, she's like and he gaslights her, being like you are you have anxiety, you have mental health issues. You need to calm down, Calm down, calm down, calm down. And she's like, I'm fucking calm all the time. Like but and so at first, when I'm watching this doc, I think the cop is being very nice to her. This one cop talking to her, he's like, listen, why don't I put you in my car, get you in the AC.
Speaker 2: You're not in any trouble at all. You're okay.
Speaker 3: And then like at one point, like a little later, she's like, do you guys have a phone so I can call my mom? And like that makes her tear up even more, like like she just wants to call her mom.
Speaker 2: And then we go to the footage of them.
Speaker 3: Talking to Brian and of course they're like what's up, like, and Brian has some marks on him. Meanwhile, Gabby has fucking marks on her face. They show it in the dock. She has marks on her face, but for some reason, the cops have not asked her about these marks on her face. And he's got some marks on him and he goes yeah, you know, like and he's playing it really calm. He's not like, oh my god, my girlfriend's a fucking psycho.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 3: He's playing it very calm with the cops, like he knows exactly how to manipulate them, and he's like, yeah, she was swinging on me, and I just pushed her away. I know I shouldn't have pushed her, but like, I just pushed her away. She had her phone in her hand. I just didn't want her to clock me with the phone. And then but yeah, and they're like, what about those marks, and he goes, yeah, she got me, like she ended up getting me. And then she tells the officer, yeah, I guess I hit him first, and she has marks on her face where I guess he grabbed her, telling her to calm down, and the cops are saying, oh, she's a twenty two year old with anxiety, but she's the main aggressor. I mean, you get a full comp you get a full footage of the cops in a circle talking to each other.
Speaker 2: They don't know what to do.
Speaker 3: They're kind of like, yet, seems like she's the main aggressor, and they're like, yeah, that's what he's saying too. So what they got from what Gabby said was that she's the main aggressor, even though that's not what she said. She was like like, that's not what she said. These cops like do not get domestic violence in this case at all. So there's body cam footage of these cops discussing the situation, being like, geez, like, I don't know what do we do.
Speaker 2: Do we like go full DV or do we do this? Or do we do that? But if they're gonna go full DV, they're gonna do it against Gabby, not against him. And so they're like, well, listen.
Speaker 3: The thing with that is like there's always the worry of you know, it escalates and it becomes something worse after we let them go. I don't think there's a big worry that he's going to become a battered man, this guy.
Speaker 2: So then one of them and like one of them goes oh.
Speaker 3: The Another option is we could separate them for the night. We could separate them. So I'm gonna get back to this. But in one report, one of these officers wrote, at no point in my investigation did Gabrielle stop crying, breathing heavily, or compose a sentence without needing to wipe away tears, wipe her nose, or rub her knees with her hands. The Mail tried to create distance by telling Gabby to take a walk to calm down. She did not want to be separated from the Mail and began slapping him. He grabbed her face and pushed her back as she pressed upon him in the van. So this is like what they had in their report. And so none of them they didn't want to press charges. The two of the Gabby orb yeah, and so the cops chopped it up to a mental breakdown instead of DV and they ultimately did separate them. They sent him to a motel in Moab, and they had her stay in the van by herself.
Speaker 2: I have no.
Speaker 3: Fucking clue, Like that's actually a DV like survivor motel. It's like where they put DV survivors in this area at this motel. They put him there, and they're like, let's put this one hundred and ten pound blonde girl by herself who's hysterical in a van by herself overnight. Like, I do not get it. Gabby did not want that to happen. She did not want to be separated. She goes, it was just a silly argument, and the female officer goes, yeah, but like, silly arguments don't end with putting hands on each other.
Speaker 2: Like he has marks, and I'm like, so does she?
Speaker 3: Are we not looking at the same footage of this person like she has marks on her face, and they tell both of them they're kind of being like condescending now at this point, like they're telling them, okay, guys, don't text each other. No texting each other, just sleep it off till tomorrow. The cops are buddying up to Brian. This one guy goes. One of the cops keeps telling Gabby want to Hey, there's this place down here where you can take a shower for like five books.
Speaker 2: It's like really cheap. I know for my wife.
Speaker 3: She gets like this too, and it really helps when she takes a shower. And I wanted to be like, I'm gonna fucking throw something in my television.
Speaker 2: Like are you kidding me? Like, oh, your wife also gets worked up quote unquote, and it's good for her to take a shower to chill out.
Speaker 3: And so he tells Brian that too. He's like, yeah, my wife has anxiety too. She gets like this and I just told her about the shower that could help or whatever. And so, you know, the couple do end up meeting up later that night, even though the cops told them that they could not even text, and eventually they start heading towards Salt Lake City. Okay, so this is August twelfth. All that happened on August twelfth. Ten days later, it's August twenty second. She texts her ex boyfriend Jackson, and she texts him, I'm sure I'm the last person on the planet you want to hear from, but I'd really love to talk to you. I'm only alone until tomorrow. So they talk on the phone. They catch up. Nothing serious gets brought up, but he gets a vibe from her that she might want to talk more and that she needs help, and he thinks that that phone call was like a cry for help. And he talks about also how like this had been an idea that they had had when they were together. They dated for like a year before she got together with Brian, about doing van life and driving across country. And he's like, you know, but I was happy for her that she was getting to do what she wanted to do. And then he says, in the dock, she told me she was going to leave him. She had a plan to do it, she said. She goes, I've got a whole plan of how I'm going to get out. I know how to do it. So five days later, August twenty seventh, they go to Whole Foods in Jackson, Hawayoming and this is the last on camera footage that exists of Gabby. So August twenty seventh, this is the last time we have her on camera. Her and her mom.
Speaker 2: Tell those cops get in trouble.
Speaker 3: Well you'll see her mom text and she says to her mom, Brian's gonna camp alone in the woods and I'm gonna take the van. And the mom goes, waiter, are you guys breaking up? And she goes, no, no, I just told him I could make more money as a single female van lifer.
Speaker 2: So but she says, we're not breaking up.
Speaker 3: I just told him I would make more money doing the van life thing on my own, like if it appeared I'm alone.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's how she thought, like, Hey, you don't really seem to like this, Why don't I just do it on my own and I'll like work on my blog and like we'll get that. I'll see you in a couple months when I'm done or whatever. That was on the twenty eighth, and then on August twenty ninth, this woman picks up Brian hitchhiking in Grand Teton National Park and he asks her to take him to this campsite ten minutes away, which is called Spread Creek Campground, so it's about ten minutes away. So she's like, yeah, no problem, I'll take you. And he explains his whole situation. Oh, my fiancees in the van. She's working on her blog. We have this blog together, blah blah blah. And then he gets out and the woman is like, you know, he kind of smelled stinky, like he'd been hiking for a while, but like he didn't you know that. I didn't think anything was weird about him. August thirtieth, her mom gets a text that doesn't really sound like her.
Speaker 2: She goes.
Speaker 3: She says something like, can you help Stan out? He keeps trying to contact me and I have bad reception here. Stan is her grandfather who she never calls Stan. So the mom right away is kind of like Stan, like, why are you calling your grandfather that? And so that's August thirtieth. September one, September second, her mom's reaching out to her, texting her, not hearing back. There's no new social posts. Her last Instagram was August twenty fifth. She keeps texting her. On September sixth, September seventh, she's going, Hey, I'm getting really worried, like I haven't heard from you. I know your reception is bad, but at this point they've been all over the place and she's been texting with her mom frequently. Right, her and her mom have not had a falling out. There's no reason why they're not talking. September ninth, she's not had contact with Gabby in ten days, so her mom reaches out to her dad. They're divorced in the documentary, they're both sitting separately with their.
Speaker 2: Partners and they live in separate states.
Speaker 3: So she reaches out to her ex, being like, hey, have you heard from Gabby And he's like no, So then she reaches out to Brian's parents, no response. The dad reaches out to the parents, no response. They reach out to Brian's sister, not a word. Even after they write we're calling the police, they don't get a response from his family. So September eleventh now, still no word from either of them. It's been twelve days. They're calling the parks. They're calling all these parks being like, we think they're there, whatever, But you have to file a missing person's report in their place of residence. So they have to call the police department in nor with Port, Florida to start the missing person's case. Okay, so they call, they call them. The officers go to the laundry family home. They it's one of those situations where they have like a screened in porch, So the cops are at the porch door and they're at the door to the house, so there's a lot of distance between them, and they won't come out. They won't even come out to where the cops are. They just open the door of their house and they're like, yeah, we don't we don't want.
Speaker 2: To talk to the cops.
Speaker 3: And they're like okay, well, but like they're looking for the cops keep calling her Gabriel. They obviously like rend something incorrectly, but they keep calling her Gabriel. But they're like, we're looking for Gabrielle Patito, like do you know where shit? And they're like, we don't. We don't want to talk to you. We don't want to talk to you. And the cop goes, you don't want to talk to us, like that's it. Like, so then they go. The van is parked in their driveway. The van is parked in their driveway. So they tell them, oh, yeah, Brian is here and that's all he's gonna say. And they go, we have an attorney, and they go, great, can we get number for your attorney? He hands him a piece of paper with the numbers of the attorney. So the sister apparently family knows that he did it. Very hashtag boy mom. The sister has told a detective that Brian and Gabby got into a fight, he left her at a hotel and he flew back.
Speaker 2: How'd the van get back to Florida? Them babe? Okay.
Speaker 3: So it's sketchy as fuck, and the parents just straight up will not talk to the cops, and they won't let the cops talk to Brian either. So they're like, okay, well the van is registered to Gabby, so we're gonna toe it. And they're like, okay, we're gonna move our They move their cars, so they get the fucking ban out.
Speaker 2: This family's so weird.
Speaker 3: The Gabby's family does missing posters full press conference like it's a full court press. Like within a couple of days, we all know what happens. The story is all over the news. People are protesting at the laundry's home like every day, like there's foot days as if the car was registered under Gabby, they should have rested them for a theft.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, it feels like what you would have done. Yeah, that's what I would have done. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I'm like, oh, that's not your car. You have no answers, you have nothing to say. You're under arrest.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you took someone's car. You left her in a hotel and took her car.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because the families initially when the cops came, kept saying it's their van, it's both of theirs, and then they were like, well it's only registered to her, So.
Speaker 2: That's when you arrest them. You bring them in. I don't understand how you allow them to act this weird.
Speaker 1: It's like, so you got into a fight that bad that you don't care if your ex girlfriend of yours is dead or alive.
Speaker 2: It's so it's so crazy.
Speaker 3: So obviously she is a beautiful, twenty two year old, blonde, white woman. So the press runs with this, and there's a lot of stuff happening at this time that is highlighting, you know, how women of color and indigenous women like do not receive the same kind of press coverage that brings up a lot of that in this case as well. But the people are gathered outside of the laundry's home and I swear to God, the dad is mowing the lawn while people are just screaming at him.
Speaker 2: Where's Gabby, where's Brian? Why won't you talk? Like and he's just mowing the lawn. It's so bizarre.
Speaker 3: And I remember like how psychotic this was and being like, oh wait, the family's just coming and going, Like I remember reading and being like, yeah, he's at his house with his parents, and it's like and they don't, they're not How do you not have to compel him to speak?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: It's so confusing.
Speaker 1: So the last person who saw this woman like, yes, you're allowed to just not answer questions.
Speaker 3: I mean, it sounds like that. The FBI gets involved. They find that the last place Gabby used her phone was the Spread Creek campground, the one where Brian had asked that lady to drop him off that day. So at one point there's footage of the sister coming out of her home with her husband, and the press is and the press and random protesters I think are just screaming at her. And she's like, wait, wait, wait, like we have been cooperating since day one, and I initially got she was talking about her whole family.
Speaker 2: She's just talking about her and her husband.
Speaker 3: She goes, we're just as heartbroken and worried as everyone else, like, and she's like, and.
Speaker 1: We don't have answers. No, it's the same sister.
Speaker 3: And she goes, and we don't have answers either, and they go, your parents aren't talking to you either, and she goes, no, So her parents and Brian are not speaking to her or giving her any information. So this sister's outside of her house going, I am just as worried about my future sister in law.
Speaker 2: I'm just as heartbroken as you all are. I don't know anything.
Speaker 3: So this is the point in time when the Moab footage comes out of the of the traffic stop. Okay, and yeah, her family, they're not huge fans of the cops standing around like laughing with Brian as he calls her crazy and says stuff like yeah, she's been hysterical the whole time. And there is a female cop there too, which is also annoying. But on September seventeenth, someone calls in and says, something's up at the laundry's house and it's weird. They play the call, but you don't really know, You're like, he might be dead in there, he might have taken his own life. Like, we don't know what gave this person this idea. But someone calls in that somebody's going on at the laundry's house. So when they get there, the police are told that the laundries have told them that Brian isn't home and that they hadn't seen him in days and they needed to report him missing. So they search the laundry house, they find a note that his mother has written to him with the title burn After reading okay and it is a fucking hashtag boy mom manifesto, it is like, I love you so much nothing you could do can make me stop loving you. If you're in jail, I'll bake a cake with a file in it. If you need to dispose of a dead body, I'll show up with a shovel and garbage bags. That is in the letter from this woman to her son. Now do I, as a mother, ever want my kids to murder? Somebody surely know, But if they come to me, I just murdered my girlfriend. I don't think I'm gonna be helping cover up that crime. I think we're gonna get you a good lawyer and we're gonna let's go go on and turn ourselves in. Like this is unhinged shit to say that to someone like and it's like what they kind of tried to channel into the mom in the in the episode where she's like, I would I'm just doing anything I could do for my kid, which anyone would do, and it's like, I don't know, I don't know murdering an innocent girl, Like.
Speaker 2: I don't, I wouldn't, I wouldn't. Don't think i'd be covering for that because he's gonna do it again.
Speaker 1: Yes, I should also say that they had dinner at this restaurant lunch, excuse me, at this restaurant in Jackson Hole, like the day.
Speaker 3: Of the whole food's footage like one of her last days that they have footage of for her. And there's this whole thing that happens at the at the lunch where she leaves, she goes outside and she's texting him being like, I don't want to That food made me feel sick. Those Fahidas felt like they were the chicken felt like it was off, and he was like, okay, do you want me to come to you outside? And she's like, I don't really want to pay for food that I didn't That made me feel sick. And so I wonder if the drinking at the bar maybe leaving the tip, like if that's like a little bit connected, because I don't know if they left without paying or not. It's never really covered. But she was saying in her text to Brian, I don't really want to pay for this food. But anyway, that's a little that's a that's a going back into the past.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So now they find this fucking weird letter in the house and the FBI asks the public for help, and they are getting hundreds of tips a day.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: People are coming forward who have picked Brian up hitchhiking. They also in the documentary talk to these like cartoon character van lifers, like there's it's this couple and they're just like yeah, like we're we like when you know, we heard about her, because like when something happens like that in the nomad community, like it spreads really quickly.
Speaker 2: Like I can't even describe them.
Speaker 3: They're just like tattooed with like the La Girl hat on and like.
Speaker 2: They're just very van life creators.
Speaker 3: Okay, So they were camping around Spread Creek at that time and they were like, oh shit, let's go through our footage. They there literally was a call. This is how online, this whole fucking case is. There was a call to all creators like in that area, go through all your footage, go through all your footage and see if you see anything. Right, So they go through their footage and they had footage.
Speaker 1: Of the van.
Speaker 3: They haven't they passed the van. It was just sitting on the side of the road. They're like, fuck, we have it. That's Gabby's van. So now they have a search area because that's around the last place her phone worked and that's where the van is parked in this footage, and that's like kind of the last known footage they had of the van. So on September nineteenth, there searching Spread Creek on horror back and they find a body and it is consistent with Gabby's body. She's lying on her side, she's wrapped up in a sweater, and you know, the last time she had been heard from was August twenty seventh, and now it's September nineteenth, so for over three weeks she had just been lying there in the same position.
Speaker 2: There was a burn scar.
Speaker 3: On the ground in front of her, her boots were off, they were next to her body. So the cops basically were like, this looks like it's been staged. Like this her body, this has been staged. The emmy ruled it a homicide and the cause of death was blunt force trauma and manual strangulation. So now they still have to start building the case, okay, because they were never able to really charge Brian with anything because they didn't have a body. Now they've got Now they have her body, and it's like really heartbreaking. In the documentary, they like her stepfather like identifies her body and it's like she describes it as like the worst moment of his life. And so now they've got to build the case against Brian. So they think that Brian killed Gabby on the twenty seventh and then moved the body to where it was found on the twenty eighth. He has gone hiking. This is when he the message has been sent already that he's going hiking on his own and he's taking all these pictures. Some are scenic, but it's also a bunch of skulls, like animal skulls. There's like random decomposed skulls. And then he makes a fifty five minute phone call to his mother, and after that phone call, his father contacts an attorney and he and his family are bouncing back and forth with phone calls, pinging for the rest of the day. And he is sending texts to Gabby's phone after she is dead, like he is sending texts to her phone being like, hey, babe, about to come out of the woods, like let me know if you want to join up, like no pressure, like it's really beautiful out here, like all these like good natured, cool guy like nature boy texts or whatever about how he's enjoying the solo hike. So none of these texts get red until he's back in the Spread Creek area, and then he starts sending replies for her. And they could tell because the action of the text were like instantaneous almost like it was clearly somebody holding both phones in their hands and sending the text back and forth. So on August thirtieth, Ryan starts to head to Florida and Gabby's mom. That's around the time, right, like the day before that or around that time is when she got the weird text saying help me with Stan, and.
Speaker 2: He's using it. Do we know why he said that?
Speaker 1: Oh, he's trying to make it seem like she's alive still. But she never calls him San like he just didn't know. He's just like he just fucked up. Like that's probably how he was introduced to him. So he fucked up and like you know, it was like, hey, Stan's hitting me up.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 3: So he uses Gabby's fucking debit card to pay for gas. This fucking loser doesn't have his own money. He's going to kill someone and then use her money for gas. And then there's also a Zell transaction that he sends from Gabby's phone from Gabby's account to his account for seven hundred dollars oh, where the note in the Zel transaction says goodbye, Brian, I'll never ask you for anything again. So in his fucked up mind, she's like he's painting this story that they broke up and he's like, oh my god, here's seven hundred dollars, like for everything you've done, goodbye, farewell, Okay, so at this point, Brian is a full blown federal fugitive. Okay, everyone's looking for him. Even Dog the fucking bounty hunter is on this. Okay, he is involved. And they find one of the laundry's cars, a Mustang, near a park and that is one of Brian's favorite hiking spots. But it's this massive park and it's forty square miles, it's like twenty thousand acres something like that. And meanwhile, at one point, I guess the cops miss took.
Speaker 2: Brian for his mom. And there's text messages going back with the family, the mom, the dad, the sister, joking about lol, like they thought I was Brian. Oh well, I bet you got you looking good or something like that. All these texts about how it's so funny that the cops thought that Brian was his mother. Insane, Okay. They search for Brian for weeks.
Speaker 3: He is being he is missing for over a month, he is missing for five weeks, for thirty seven days, he's missing, and on October twentieth, the park was reopened to the public because there had been some flooding, and they're searching the park for him, like there's you know, volunteer teams and all and law enforcement. Everybody's trying to search this park for him. And then the laundries are like, we're gonna come down to the park to try to find Brian. We know his favorite spots. The family did not emote. Everybody said it was extremely tense when they got there. Within an hour, they found a waterproof bag that belonged to Brian. The family did soon after they found his remains approximately one mile from where he'd parked the car. So, I mean, they found the car parked there, and then for some reason it took so fucking long. But it's like Schandra Levy I always think of, was found less than a mile from where she was last seen, you know.
Speaker 2: So I don't know what happened.
Speaker 3: There weren't dogs or whatever, but he had completely decomposed all the way down to the bone. They said the cause of death was suicide by gunshot wound. He had taken his own life by shooting himself in the head. Inside the waterproof bag where photos of Brian and Gabby, there was a waterproof notebook where he had written letters to his family saying goodbye, professing his love to them. He wrote all of this shit in the notebook about finding Gabby in a stream. When he got there, she was in this stream, the temperature had dropped. She was in pain, gasping for breath, and he couldn't take her pain away, and he admitted to ending her life to stop her pain. And he thought what he was doing was merciful, and then after he did it, he realized that he couldn't live without her.
Speaker 2: So of course none of this is true.
Speaker 3: Autopsy proves none of this garbage, and like, yeah, like there's not.
Speaker 1: Why do he take his own life? Did he disappear and do that or is it a fake body?
Speaker 2: What's going?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, he took his own life. Like it's him.
Speaker 3: He's identified and the law enforce. Law enforcement still does not know how involved the parents were, but they've.
Speaker 1: Let him do that.
Speaker 2: I like wonder if Yeah, I wonder.
Speaker 3: On the twenty eighth, which is the day after they think that she that he killed her, his family talked to him a bunch of times on the phone and wired money to a lawyer. So a year later, Gabby's family and her ex jackson, and her best friend Rose, they all go to Spread Creek to see where she was found they wanted to like honor her. Then they show that in the doc as well. Her parents have actually helped get DV legislation passed. They've like I don't know if it's federal, it's probably by state, but like a list of questions that you have to ask somebody if you suspect there's DV going on, you know, not just like winging it and seeing if a girl's just on her period having a little mentb or whatever, like she might actually be worn down from being emotionally and probably physically abused and h The crazy thing is, after all that she only made one van life video on YouTube and she put it up on August nineteenth, about you know, eight days, nine days before she was killed, and it got less than five hundred views. But now it has seven million views and her Instagram has one point two million followers. Like it's like what you said, Like she did not she was not popular, like yet she was working on the growing stages of her social media presence. And it's just really really sad there was no criminal charges were fouled against the family, his family, I mean, why that, Well, I think they couldn't prove anything. I don't think they could prove that that they I just don't understand.
Speaker 2: How wiring the money and all that is not again and having the van and lying to office start.
Speaker 3: But that his crimes like those are his crimes. They can't pin those on her.
Speaker 2: I guess got it.
Speaker 3: So like her parents though, Gabby's parents filed a wrongful death suit against Brian's parents in twenty twenty two, and it did settle in twenty twenty four, so I hope they had to pay. And they tried to sue the Moab PD in twenty twenty two, saying that they could have prevented her death, but a judge dismissed the case in twenty twenty four, essentially saying like the police did what they could and they couldn't have foreseen what was going to happen and.
Speaker 1: This and that. I mean, they could have taken it seriously, I know, not be laughing and immediately be like, oh yeah it's probably her. She's nuts. Uh you know women, It's like what the fuck? I just wish after that, like traffic, can't you have any instincts?
Speaker 2: Like That's another thing.
Speaker 1: It's like these cops want all of this hero status and adoration and it's like you're fucking idiots. You can't tell a human is in distress or acting weird, and maybe we shouldn't leave her in a van alone, Like what the fuck?
Speaker 3: Cause that's like it felt like a bunch of time passed. It did feel like thirty minutes, forty five minutes they were talking to these cops like and it's like she's not really calming down. I mean she is, like she can speak, but she's still visibly upset and like like you know, can't catch her breath and everything. And it's just like, yeah, this is like more than just like we've been fighting. I said, I was being a little ocd about cleaning the van like that. And then it's like I think he treats her like shit, screams at her, and then when she's upset, he just grabs her face and goes calm down, calm down, And it's like complete like the girl probably thought she was going absolutely insane with that kind of gaslighting.
Speaker 2: You know, that's exactly what gaslighting is.
Speaker 3: Like you're trying to have like literally convince someone that they're crazy, even though your actions are the ones causing their reaction.
Speaker 1: So then and then the cops that are supposed to help, are like like validating this dude.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean, like the way they were talking to him, like they separated them.
Speaker 2: That's the only good thing.
Speaker 3: Like the for the interviews that when they talked to them, they did separate them, which is like what you're supposed to do for GV stuff. But after that, I would say, so many of the decisions are so wild. Why does he go just because she maybe like pushed him or slapped him first or something, to me, does not mean she's the main aggressor, you know what I mean? Like he was trying to take the car keys and not let her into the van. She might have been literally panicking that this crazy boyfriend was gonna leave her in the middle of Moab near the entrance of Arches National Park by herself, Like that would be enough for me to maybe smack at someone and go, no, no, me the keys, let me back into the van, like that's their house.
Speaker 2: You know. It's really it's so fucking sad.
Speaker 1: He's fucking scum, Like because yeah, using his car, using her card, fake tag.
Speaker 3: But it's also like, even in the end, you did so much to cover up what you did, and even in the end, you wrote this bullshit story for the cops out behind your body about how you saved her and put her out of her misery, like, which is fully unsupported by any forensic evidence. It's a lie. And you because you wanted to even though you knew you were going to take your own life, you wanted to like go out a hero, you know. And that's probably what he wanted his family to believe too. I'm sure he called his mom and said, Mom, I Gabby, like you know, she was like like, I don't know. I'm sure he said that he fucking she was about to die and he just like helped her put her out of her misery or something like that. Meanwhile, this lady picked him up hitchhiking ten minutes away on our way to church. There's stuff around there like in Titan, Like if she was ill or whatever, it's like he could have gotten help, you know, Yeah, like you didn't have to again said he just ran to Florida and never anyone or her family where she is called like right, and like I don't know if his family actually knew that he was planning to go take his life or whatever, like maybe he told them, Like I'm not going to be able to I can't go to jail whatever. But it was such a wildcase because I don't know. I've seen people defend their I've seen people cover up for their kids before, but this felt so to see the footage of the parents just like, we have nothing to say. And at one point a cop goes, oh, but her parents are so worried. Wouldn't you guys want to know if something one of your children was missing? Can you just talk to us and like so we can put their mind at ease. And the family goes, we understand what you're saying about. Nope, we're not going to speak. It's so it's bizarre.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and the mom hated her the whole time.
Speaker 3: Yes, the mom was, no, one's good enough for my little boy. It's really weird because when you look at like a bunch of the footage, he seems like he's having a good time making these van life videos. Like there's tons of video of them kissing. It's like the it's like the episode. There's lots of videos of them looking like they're so in love and having great time. And then I bet you she said, why don't you go, I'll just do the van life thing on my own and he was like, you're fucking leaving me, and he killed her.
Speaker 1: But they always like to excuse the reason. Yeah, but I didn't mean to. But I didn't. It's like no one cares, right, They're always trying to like reason it out in some way. Yeah, we're gonna like, we're gonna understand and be like, yeah, I guess you had no choice.
Speaker 2: She was gonna make videos without you. Yeah, well depressing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We have a great guest.
Speaker 2: We do, we do. We have an amazing guest. Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 3: Our guest today is an actor that you may recognize as Tom Haverford's ex wife Wendy from Parks and rec She's also a regular on The Good Place and the School of Rock TV show, but you know her today as sad but hopeful mother Laura Hughes. Please enjoy our convo with the lovely Jamia Williamson.
Speaker 1: I met the Molester Priest through a friend on the streets of New York once, and I can't believe it's him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was like, this is my friend. I go, have you been on SVU?
Speaker 1: He goes, yeah, Molester Priest And he.
Speaker 4: Was such a nice molester priest, but looks so right for the part. I'm so sorry he's so I'm sure he can do lots of other wonderful things, but he's so meant for this, perfect looking like so perfectly cast. I thought he lived in LA, so he minds you. Maybe he bops?
Speaker 2: I guess. So do you live in New York or LA?
Speaker 4: I was in New York for eleven years and then LA for fifteen years, and now I'm in Philadelphia. Oh wow, to Philly my family like three years ago. Yeah, yeah, love it.
Speaker 2: Wait, I'm just looking up your husband now also has been on an s for you.
Speaker 1: We're usually so good about this. I can't believe we didn't find it.
Speaker 3: I didn't, you know, I didn't find it because your husband's not in your Wikipedia, which is you know, maybe a choice, but he's in your IMDb.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 3: He's in the episode where a girl keeps having babies with her dad and killing them.
Speaker 2: Oh so crazy. Yeah, her husband's in taboo. Yeah, he's in Taboo. Oh my god. I love that. You could like, Oh, well, that's one of my favorites.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a crazy episode.
Speaker 1: We modeled one of our merch sweatshirts. On like the sweatshirt the girl wears in it like purple kind of and I don't know other people know it, but that's he's.
Speaker 2: Been memorialized that episode. I love it.
Speaker 3: I can't believe it. Yeah, I'm trying to figure out who he plays. But so you guys met during doing theater. You said, yeah, we met doing a play. Yeah, yeah, what play was it?
Speaker 2: It was?
Speaker 4: It was by the name of Eat the Runt, which is a weird, weird title, but it was very at the very beginning of reality television, Like this is like right before nine to eleven, and the play was written without pronouns. It was sort of you know, uh, sort of early to do something like that. But the idea was that all of us would learn all of the parts of the play, and each actor would know all the whole play and know all the characters. And then each night before the show, we would get up in front of the audience an audition for each role and they would vote via electronic keypad from their seat and decide who they wanted in each part. So we never knew what the cast was going, how I was going to shake out.
Speaker 1: And that is so fun.
Speaker 4: It was really cool there was like, you know, sometimes it was a you know, same sex relationship. Sometimes it was, but you know, it was just age differences.
Speaker 1: I have so many questions ahead of its time, But how often was the audience consistent? Like was it always really change or did the and did you guys always change? Like did you did you like some and hated some of them?
Speaker 2: Or were you okay, yes.
Speaker 4: We And there was some really small parts and some leads. So depending on if your agent was there, your mom was there, you know, you were gunning for those parts. Which is a little bit of the problem with this situation is it pitted actors against each other, right, and my husband and I were very competitive. We were not dating at the time and we were friends, but we would we were like it was like me and him, you know, every night for you know, we'd let you know, we weren't always gunning for the leads, but like there were certain times we both were going for it and we would be it was be like Doggie dog out there, I mean, which was kind of interesting because that was what the play was about. It was about this you know, Darwinism, and it was all took place in the art museum and someone getting a job. But it was all about kind of like you know, pushing people out of the way in order to do so. So I guess I guess that was a little bit life dating art.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you were with your husband then when he got s for you, were you like one of my to get.
Speaker 2: Asked for you? Because it took you. It took you till twenty twenty four or something.
Speaker 4: I know, I had to move back to LA and moved to LA, move all the way back to the East coast.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 4: It was like it was a real real challenge for me. Yeah, he was really good. He's always been really good at that. That's never really been my jam. I'm more of a comedy actor. Okay, so that wasn't really things that a show that I was going for at the time, and so that he would he if you see his resume, he stopped acting. I think two thou well run my daughter was conceived. He was like, I'm thrown in the tail. Someone's got to get a job and this god is going to be me.
Speaker 2: And so he.
Speaker 4: If you look at his resume, it's almost all procedurals, like he was really good at.
Speaker 2: That, Like yeah, big talk, you know, like the law. He did all a law orders. Oh yeah, trial by jury?
Speaker 1: So did you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, eventually I've I've checked him off, but it they come a little harder for me.
Speaker 2: They're not they're they're they're comedy, definitely, I'm sure more fun. It is more fun.
Speaker 3: But also you're you're good at drama. You You're really like this you you. I was getting real, like I've already seen the episode obviously, but I was watching it again for today, and I was getting emotional about your performance. You're so daughter as a but it's really that's.
Speaker 4: Part of why it's so hard to do, because you know, in the moment, I'm thinking of my real daughter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sucks. Takes a lot out of you, I would imagine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but this episode, Yeah, Like I felt like when I was watching it, I was like really pulled in by your performance and the boyfriends at first because I was like, he didn't do it, and then like at the end, you're like, wow, anyone's capable to have crazy lies.
Speaker 1: And we knew that was based on did you tap into the real case?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Kind of hard. It was so huge, right, it was Yeah, my god, that's a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you know, and speaking of this too though, just personally, is that I you know, you know, as I was using my daughter imagine her being the one laying in that hospital bed was horrifying to the other part. I had to be able to believe, truly not believe that this boy could do that, you know. And at the time, my other daughter had a boyfriend who I love him. I'm not day anymore, but he was so sweet. It was her very first boyfriend. He weirdly lives across the street from like.
Speaker 2: In a hallmarkt.
Speaker 4: And he's just the sweetest person and he treated her so well. And so I actually use that as a you know, like how I like that he couldn't Yeah, like just you know, someone who you really truly believe is really good for your kid and and is like lifting them up, and you just you your brain just can't tolerate the idea that that person would hurt them, you know it.
Speaker 2: Just anyway, that was just d I felt the belief from your character for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And in a lighter note, you and Marishka the Battle of the Good Haired Is. I mean, that was like a beautiful, blowout, heavy.
Speaker 4: Scene with you compared to her In anyway, I'm flattered. Yeah, she she's a she's a force man.
Speaker 2: She is she is.
Speaker 4: She really took me off guard, I have to say, because I mean, her beauty is by itself, but just as a as an actor and as a commander of a set, a younger version of me. This is why I'm glad I did not get SVU back when my husband did, and I'm glad it when I got it when I was a thousand years older, because I feel like I could handle what was happening on that set better as an with a more maturity than I would have when we Before we even started, we just did like a you know, uh, you know the run through, like the practice, like the rehearsal, and you get very little rehearsal youually on with TV stuff, and so you just kind of have to be ready to go. But I, you know, I was kind of marking it a little bit, like I was. I just wanted to make sure that I was getting my you know, my getting on the right spot and you know, getting my marks and like, and so I wasn't going full throttle on my rehearsal. I was just sort of making sure I get the lines. And she after the first take, she came over to me, and she walked up really close to me and put her hand on my low belly and whispered in my ear. She was like and gave me like an acting lesson.
Speaker 5: She was like, this is your daughter, like this is so painful and overwhelming to you, like was like setting my stakes for me, you know.
Speaker 4: And I was I mean, again, now, as a grown woman, I really appreciated it. I think as a young person I might have been very overly intimidated and feeling like maybe like I failed her or so like that I wasn't giving you know, I don't know. It just would have thrown me into a little bit of a tailspin, I just know myself. But it thankfully I've done enough meditation that it didn't kind of like actually really.
Speaker 2: Centered me, you know.
Speaker 4: And I was like, right right, just kind of refreshed all of my and so and I was also like, oh god, this woman wants me to give it full throttle, you know what I mean, like from the get go. And I was like, you got it, Marishika, like it's your fucking set. Like, so it was it was interesting. She's just and then this is a little bit of a spoiler alert, but I ended up working with her again.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you guys have covered another episode.
Speaker 1: We're gonna We're gonna have the rapist priest on oh.
Speaker 4: Right, right, it was. I was so glad and this doesn't usually happen. I don't think very often to be able to have to come back.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was wondering, like, did they tell you when you first did no episode? Oh, by the way, we're bringing you back for another thing.
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: No, And I thought I walked away being like I did it my sbu you know, like, and I had no idea. I never even thought that was even an option. I've never heard and I've never dine a bunch of guest stars. I've never heard of that, you know, so I didn't None of my friends had ever heard of that, So I know that was that really was The.
Speaker 1: Social was such a good double feature, I would say, and very different. It went somewhere different. But it's also it is hard to watch you and the other mom kind of befriend each other. But I guess your characters really you know, religious and forgiven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for you friends, was like hard, I would say.
Speaker 4: Apewer, yeah, yeah, I know, I I that was really.
Speaker 2: Fun and interesting for me.
Speaker 3: I was trying to think about, Yeah, like why they did that, because it's not the first time they've had a Calma victim be sexually assaulted and impregnated on the show, so they've covered that, So they did, and I feel like it's because they want they they like to revisit Olivia's like origin story and stuff about how she is like a product of this and it's that hope for your character, Like is that worth it to like put this homotose woman through the pregnancy?
Speaker 4: But yeah, right right, you know that was what that was interesting to me. I mean, I know we're not talking about that episode, but there there was a beautiful maybe my favorite scene all of all the scenes I did for SBO, This my favorite scene was cut and it was at the end of that the second episode that I'm in, I think it's season episode sixteen. Yeah, and there was a scene between me and Mariska and Benson at the end of the episode that was cut and it was so sweet and so tender and so beautiful, and I was I was devastated that it was it's me and her back in the chapel, So that the episode sort of begins with me in the chapel with the you know, uh Gina, with the other mom, and it ends back in the chapel and I am there with absolute, you know, just complete forgiveness for for the for the priest, for every ever, everything, and and I'm it's just this And that was so interesting to me because you know, I grew up Catholic. I don't go to church anymore. But there was something I used a lot of like what I had known about, you know, Mother Mary, and just ultimate forgiveness and unconditional love, you know, like these these concepts that I've learned about and talked about in church and school but never really like tried to imagine for myself and never been put in that position. And so it was it was like weirdly, deeply like profoundly healing for me. I had sounds like a lot to say, but it was true, like to really put that on, you know, to really to really truly forgive in that way and just can to be able to see even through the most heinous act, to be able to see that it is that are is still some.
Speaker 2: Divine plan and all of that. I don't know.
Speaker 4: It was like it made me better doing this episode, I sort of got it in. Yeah, but in this last scene, me and Mariska were just like sitting side beside and she could not take she couldn't take it in that I had forgiven her, you know, or forgiven him, like it just it was it was so painful for her for her own personal story, like she was just still had stuff to hold on to.
Speaker 2: And I grabbed.
Speaker 4: Her hand and the two of us prayed together, like I ended up praying that same prayer that comes in the beginning, and we both start we both cry. It is just and she I feel that there was a shift, you know what I mean. It's like almost like she's borrowing my forgive, you know, whatever that that I've been able to find, my character has been able to find, and it shifts her.
Speaker 2: And so I was like, oh my god, this.
Speaker 4: Is I was like, maybe this character will come back like this feels like something like really interesting that's been mined here.
Speaker 2: And then they cut it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, they like want her stuck in this for a little bit longer, no freedom, They don't really love her happy. They might be true if they want to ruin her day piece.
Speaker 2: Really that's a show. Maybe that was yeah, you might. You guys might be right. Wait, can I ask you a weird question about your episodes?
Speaker 3: It is it weird to have all these scenes in front of this third actor that's just sitting there in a coma like with she just like wake up in between.
Speaker 2: Takes and be like hey, guys.
Speaker 3: I mean it's like, so we know, like in the second episode she's sort of cleaned up and just like in a in an assisted living I think, right or something, and so she's yeah, and she's just really truly sitting there eyes closed without any of the time.
Speaker 4: I know, yeah, we felt we're we felt more bad for her, you know. I was like, We're so sorry that you have to just like it's like take after take, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she had a very interesting part for us, for you because pretty much all of her acting is done through like these social media videos.
Speaker 4: I know, I know, which was really sweet. She did a beautiful job with us, but I know she kept saying I was like, are you okay? And I felt do you want water? Like I just felt bad, you know, my mother a part of me. It was just like I feel bad for you. But she kept she would like open one eye and gen she was so sweet. She would like open my eyes. She was like, I feel like I'm learning a ton. But she just was like quietly taking it all in, you know what I mean, like really absorbing.
Speaker 2: Like so she was like, I feel like I'm becoming a better actor.
Speaker 4: I know it doesn't look like it, but I am.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she got to listen to you guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and like hear us like figure out a scene and like what didn't work and what did work, you know, like there and it was Yeah, I think that was And I've always sort of I thought that I've always thought that sounded really interesting to sort of be a fly on the wall and you know, if you don't have any real stakes exactly in a scene, but just be able to be in the space and just sort of watch actors work. I mean, she didn't get to open her eyes. I guess maybe there was even more she was able to take in because she took a.
Speaker 2: Sense away, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think it sounds kind of like an interesting acting exercise to really just sort of be on set but but not really be needed for anything, you know, just be able to just really watch, you know, even if you're the director, whoever everyone on that set has a job to do, but hers was just to sort of be still so she could just really listen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Agent Harrison, did you like it?
Speaker 1: Josh Cook? Oh my god, he's hot. I'm meant to this.
Speaker 2: Isn't he wonderful?
Speaker 4: This is a great I'm telling you here. This is the This is kind of the one of the best parts. I can't believe I forgot to say this because is kind of one then most fun part of that first episode was I have a dear friend in LA. Her name's Lilah Gersty and she's a showrunner and a writer and she did this show Heart of Dixie. Yeah, and she was like, when I decided that I was going to move to Philadelphia, she was like, my friend, Uh, you're gonna love him. You got to tell you got to meet him. His name's Josh Cook. He did the same thing. He was like out here in La. He was on Heart of Dixie. He moved to Philadelphia. He lives in a cute little farmhouse with his wife and his daughter, and he loves it and he's so happy there. And I was like, oh my god, this is the best story ever. And she was like, and he's wonderful, and so I was like, get me a number, and then I promptly forgot because I was so busy and doing the move. But he called, he texted me, and I was living with my at my friend's house because our house is being renovated, and he was like, you know, do you want to where are you right now? And I was like, well, I'm actually in glad One because I'm in a friend's house. And he's like, oh my god, that's where I grew up. Do you want to meet for lunch? And I was like, love to, but like I'm so busy and underwater. Can we do it as soon as my like in next month, I'll be back home and you know, and he was like, let's do it. Then we both forgot, as we do. I show up on that set and didn't realize, like, didn't I even saw Josh Cook on the you know, the call sheet, but I just didn't put it together and I just like sort of forgot.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: And he when we introduced himself, he was like, Hi, I'm Josh. I was like, I'm Jama and he was like Jama, that's wait, how many James could there be?
Speaker 1: Do you know?
Speaker 2: Lilah Gerstein and I was.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, and he was like you're the and I was like you're the Oh that's so funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we were.
Speaker 4: It was so made that day so fun because every time they'd be like cut, we'd be like okay, so anyway, Lilah. And it was just like to have a buddy like that on set, especially as a guestar. When you walk in you don't know anyone, it's very you know, you're just like sort of don't know the rules and it's very scary, and you don't know how the set is run. And he'd been there a bunch, so he knew Morisca, he knew the whole you know, everybody, you know because his recurs. And so it was like it was so fun to have a set buddy.
Speaker 3: And you finally want to have lunch probably just crafty, yeah, craft service.
Speaker 2: And we end up did we did do our date.
Speaker 4: We went, he came up to Ambler and we had a we had a little lunch date like a couple of weeks later, just like broke it down, you know, like how that was how it was to work on that show. And you know, he gave me some like funny like insider, you know, info.
Speaker 2: Which it was just it was great.
Speaker 4: It was it was like it turned out to be just such a funny little gift that that show gave.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm forgetting. Oh he's an SQBI guy. Yeah, but he was in Dexter. I'm looking right now and it's all coming together. But he does not look as hot and cool Indexter. He's like a weirdo.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I really like him in the glasses that he wears an SBO.
Speaker 1: It's so everyone's going to Philly. It's the new place to be.
Speaker 2: It is guys. Wait, I I like when I saw you in this episode, I was like, I've seen her in tons of stuff, right, But then when I looked up your bio, I was like, Wendy, it's Tom Ackerford's ex wife.
Speaker 4: I know that's what most people recognize me from. I've weirdly gotten there must be a lot of parks and rec fans out here, man, because I'm at the Trader Joe's and people and like, you know, Montgomeryville, and people are like, Wendy ever heard of I've never once, No one's ever stopped me in my whole life in La Like.
Speaker 1: You know what it is it's in the cycle of like the comfort shows for millennials, I would say, And so the people that watch it, they've watched it a few times, they're watching it drew over and watching it. They're going to bed to it. Yeah that's just yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And people rediscovered it in the pandemic because it's such a great time, you know, So there's a whole new round of of watchers. It's yeah, it's it's such a great show. I mean, God, I feel so lucky to be a.
Speaker 2: Part of that universe.
Speaker 1: You know, you're in a few verses I would say, because that was God bless Mike.
Speaker 2: Sure. Oh yeah, yeah. Yeah, my short and.
Speaker 4: Now most recently a man on the inside. He dragged me into that, not dragged me kidding, He asked me, and I was like, are you kidding? I would do anything? Yeah, okay, yeah, so we have you know, he likes to do that. He likes to draw from the same well a lot for his actors. He kind of likes to like rediscover them in different universes. And so I'm lucky enough to be to be one of those. Yeah occurring, make sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to be part of the bad side the bad place. Yeah, yeah, yep, yep.
Speaker 4: So I got to work with Ted Danson again. He was the perfect person. He's the greatest guy in the whole wide world. So that was the first time I ever worked with them. I said a prayer that I would work with him again, and I guess it really landed because I work with them two more times after that.
Speaker 1: We need him on SVU. If you, if you see Ted, tell him to get going.
Speaker 2: We need it. Oh yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: He would actually make such a good like secret psycho.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I could yeah, you know, yeah.
Speaker 4: I can see that, and he hasn't played a role like that in a long time, So that sounds kind of maybe that would be fun for him.
Speaker 1: Anything that you are excited to tell our listeners about that's maybe upcoming or to check out or anything.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, I don't have I have a commercial coming.
Speaker 4: It's Oh, it's a fun one too, because for the Parks and Rex fans, it's a Parks and Rec kind of it's not meant to be. It's sort of like a quiet easter eggy thing, but it's for true value and it's with Nick Offerman and it's his campaign. But then they've kind of buried within it, Like I just play a mom at this true value store wanting to know where the paint cans are and but they just kind of are putting parks and red people around him. Is just kind of a funny just for the fans, if you know, you know, and if you know, if you don't.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't want to speak to hardware store is cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a I know, it's it's a badass product to be to be promoting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's coming up.
Speaker 4: But I the thing that I'm actually really interested in talking about, just in a bigger way is my other business. I am a meditation teacher and a spiritual well being coach, and so I just I kind of want to I want I want people, first of all, to follow me on because I don't have enough followers right now, and I want more followers from.
Speaker 3: I literally looked up Williamson Instagram and nothing came up.
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 4: Oh well, I have a Jama Williamson Instagram.
Speaker 2: Okay, that not come up.
Speaker 4: That's just my that's me, and that's more acting stuff, and that's you know, that's just kind of life.
Speaker 1: There it is.
Speaker 4: And then I have another one called Soul Light Wellbeing dot com. And that's my wu Wu side. I'm pretty woo woo guys, okay, And I'm a real spirit seeker and and a meditator. I'm a daily meditator and a meditation teacher and a teacher of Vireveda and also a coach. So I'm just interested in people because we need people to wake up right now in the universe and the in the world we are.
Speaker 1: You know what you have to do moment You have to put your business link in your personal link.
Speaker 2: Like tag it. Oh, people will follow you like, hey.
Speaker 1: This is my other thing, taget so then we can click and then you'll get more follow up.
Speaker 3: And your Instagram did come up? I think I put in just an I and it gave me your imt B.
Speaker 2: I'm an idiot. Your Instagram did come up? Yeah, but you're that's my parents. I agree.
Speaker 4: You have to high in my name. You have to say, like in your.
Speaker 1: Bio, you have to go. I wouldn't be able to even know you have this if I looked at your bio.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no that you should write for woo stuff.
Speaker 3: You should write like for Woo Woo stuff, go to and then just tag at soulight well being oh good, okay, and then people will go to that. This was awesome, Jima, thank you so much for talking to us for so long and this was great.
Speaker 2: Is there any other I loved it? Any other SVU set tidbits that you forgot? Did you and Iced Tea have any run ins or anything? I wish? No?
Speaker 4: No, I didn't get to my husband got to work with him. I didn't, so I missed that. So that's why I want I need to come back. Yeah, you know that kid is like you said, like when kid is seven, and we'll go for circirl.
Speaker 3: We love your the inside the remembering a forgotten cut scene. I thought this might be the first time we've talked to someone.
Speaker 2: That gave us that. So this has been amazing. That's nice. Oh good, Well, it was so fun talking to you. Yeah, you too.
Speaker 3: We'll see you in the streets of Philadelphia one of these days. Oh my god, she was lovely. What a nice what a fun what a fun gal? Hi love our podcasts.
Speaker 2: Yeah she was so great. I mean wow. And then we see her again and we are.
Speaker 1: The crossovers and being friends with the people that we know from others like it's just like, yeah, yeah, you know, it's fun.
Speaker 2: It's fun. It's like, yes, she's a cool girl.
Speaker 1: My job and it was fun. And I guess I should get to j Lo what everyone is dying to know.
Speaker 2: All right, well, let's really quick the postmortem of the episode. It's so sad.
Speaker 3: The postmortum of the episode is like, I mean, the episode is like obviously gay trash.
Speaker 2: Every Yeah, the Gabby.
Speaker 3: Pachito case is so fresh in all of our minds, but I feel like that was such a it was so illustrated through all of the video clips and all that stuff like that they had of them in a way that you just old documentaries.
Speaker 2: You'd be like, and then he killed her and.
Speaker 3: We'll never really know what happened leading up, But like now it's like these people were van life YouTubers. Like there is a lot of footage, even though a lot of it didn't get posted, there's a lot of footage of them together and just God, trust your fucking gut when it comes to guys that have like a weird, dark, manipulative side but then are super sweet to you. Like that's really I feel like, what was the issue with this guy is everybody was like there was something off, but like he had never done anything to her that anybody knew about, you know, and then just fucking killed her, Like oh my god, the worst, the worst experience for her family.
Speaker 2: And then do not be a.
Speaker 3: Boy mom harboring your murderous son. Get him a good lawyer and let's go. You know, that's it. I talked to Jared about it. I was like, what would you do if we found out Oscar or Rosie like a murdered someone. And He's like, get them a good lawyer.
Speaker 1: And we're turning them in, like you know, yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean, come on that woman, if you're in jail, I will bake a file into a cake.
Speaker 2: If you are like that letter, get a life, get.
Speaker 3: A life, want to be Yeah, anyway, let's get to the j LO notes. I want to hear them.
Speaker 2: Tell me.
Speaker 3: I mean, she's having a hard time selling concerts out. There's a reason.
Speaker 2: Okay. One it's called out of this World.
Speaker 1: Has nothing to do with space, like it has nothing to do with anything.
Speaker 2: Out of this world.
Speaker 1: She's actually singing show tunes whatever Lola wants. She's saying rain on my parade. She's also sang Lana del Rey. But outside of all that, there is a teleprompter.
Speaker 2: So that to me is like.
Speaker 1: Especially off watching like the Taylor Swift kind of documentary series and the effort and the time and the work and the passion, and then to see this where it's like, do you have a teleprompter? Like that's embarrassing and for the talking. So then it's like, well, if you have a teleprompter for when you're speaking, it should be it should sound clear, concise, like rehearsed ready, but it wasn't, so it's like flustered and off. It sounds like off the top of her head, but so insincere and not real.
Speaker 2: So it's like, why how do you manage that?
Speaker 1: How do you manage so much insincerity with like with a teleprompterure? But it's not polished, so confusing. I will say positive things. She looks incredible, The wardrobe is incredible. Everything looks amazing on her, her hair, her face, her moves. I mean, the bitches on fire in terms of looks like. She also tried to make jokes about her divorce and stuff, which and it's also cool to see just like a star like that. In so it's Caesars, which like Nicky's gonna be there, and I think for a comedian it's giant, but for like when I saw Celine Dion there, it's it's a very intimate venue. I think that's where Adele was like, it's an intimate venue to see a star that big, but it is. It's big, but it's intimate. I don't know. Okay, how a few thousand, but like, okay, so it's like a teleprompter, you're doing show tunes. But you know, I loved hearing the hits and I loved on the side screens. It was like jab Rule and Ello cool J kind of a video of them singing, which I liked them being incorporated.
Speaker 2: I liked the oh yeah.
Speaker 1: So before we went in over dinner, I was just like I don't get why she's doing this, Like why not take a break figure stuff out? Like I don't know if I had such a flopy, Like why would you do this? And then there was a moment where I saw her like turn in a spin and like smile to one of the dancers, and I was like, oh yeah, uh, she's a performer, Like even if I had a rough time, I would want to perform. So there was this moment of like, oh, yeah, she's like she's an artist. Of course she wants to be up there. Of course the audience matters. She had these moments where I caught her really smiling and enjoying it.
Speaker 2: But then the.
Speaker 1: Undercurrent of just the talking and the sloppiness of the show didn't make sense. Like you kind of saw her thinking about the moves. It was strange. It wasn't a polished show. So and then the I don't know, it just is confusing. Yeah, but I could tell like, of course she wants to perform, that's what we do. Of course, Like like it made sense, but then it's like it's not that great. I don't know. I don't know, but obviously she's talented. And then it did a montage of her career and it's of course incredible and the outfits and the songs, but it's like rain on my parade. Why are you doing Broadway show tunes in a show called out of This World in Las Vegas with a teleprompter?
Speaker 2: I don't understand.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think Mariah has a teleprompter as well.
Speaker 1: Obviously that's just like age.
Speaker 3: They're just like just in case you fully blank out and are like you know, but no, of course, of.
Speaker 1: Course, of course, it's just it just is weird because then it's like shouldn't shouldn't you be better? Like if it's like Telera, I don't know the talking, it's just and there was a lot of like downs and ups, divorces and look at me now, but with jokes.
Speaker 2: And it's like the Broadway.
Speaker 3: Show tune thing is really weird because it's like Babe, like I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, to me, she sounded good, but then when I sent it to Mateo, he's like that's a head voice. Like that's like she's singing from her.
Speaker 3: Neck or and is she doing that to like promote Kiss of the Spider Woman.
Speaker 1: Well, she's sang that spider song which was okay, I've never heard of it, but she sings some Spanish.
Speaker 2: Also.
Speaker 1: The crowd, like the crowd is casine. It's elder like a lot of people were sitting. It's old people. It's like there was a grandma with her granddaughter was just on her phone non stop and her with her birken. I have the funniest videos Jlo working as hard as she can, glitter two thing dancing dancers around her, and then I would pay to this girl would not look up from her phone now for one fucking second. No, it was a great show. I was happy to see j Lo. It's like, I'll remember it. I just was, you know what, it felt like death becomes her.
Speaker 2: And I like what I see.
Speaker 1: D like the songbird the musical from the beginning.
Speaker 2: That's what it felt like.
Speaker 1: It felt like Madeline Sharp in her musical in the beginning, and I ever, oh my god. There was like a couple in front of us where the woman was a lot younger and the guy couldn't stand, so she had to sit with this old man that obviously paid for the evening, and so she didn't get to enjoy the show because she had to sit with this old man. And then the waitress spilled a whole drink and ice on him. It was like, this man's having the worst night of his life.
Speaker 2: What would sister peg do?
Speaker 3: You guys know, this is our weekly segment where we point you to a resource a book, whether it's a book, an article, an organization, And this week, obviously we wouldn't want to point you to the Gabby Patito Foundation. It was founded by Gabby's family as a result of her murder, and it is an organization committed to fighting against domestic violence and working with missing persons. They work to equip communities and first responders with the tools, training, and support they need to prevent and respond to domestic violence and to protect those at risk. So to learn more, to get help, to donate, you can head over to Gabbypatito Foundation dot org. That is linked in our show notes that will be linked in a story that comes out the day that this episode releases and that gets saved forever in our WWSPD highlights that are at the top of our Instagram page, which is that s messed up pod, Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: And next week we will be doing Ripped from season seven, episode four. And I'm sorry I said it like that. I really don't know how to say no, that's that's I said. I didn't understand why it was called that. And then once I started watching rewatching, I was like, oh.
Speaker 4: I get it, I get it.
Speaker 2: I'm slow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh my god. I had a huge rev. I had a big moment in my life. Yesterday. I landed from my trip and I unpacked everything. What I unpacked everything I put it away. I took the laundry this morning. I put my suitcase in the closet. Doesn't feel good.
Speaker 2: And I got in the shower. I have never ever done that. Doesn't it feel good? I love getting my suitcase unpacked? It felt great.
Speaker 1: But I had SVU just running, and because we had to watch some episodes for interviews whatever, and I forgot what I was gonna say. But I watched It's a New Dawn. But that's not how I wanted to say it. It was something about like the ripped. I was watching an episode. Oh, it's Cragan in the episode we had the guest on. It's the Peakupike, it's the.
Speaker 2: The lead car one the Match show.
Speaker 1: Ye John John renn not John Reynolds, John Gallagher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: It's Craigan walking in going. Are we concerned that he's slow? Just made me laugh. It made me laugh. Are we concerned that he's slow? We have fun episodes coming up, man. One of the other ones we're covering soon is I know. That's a wild thing.
Speaker 2: It's like I love the new ones.
Speaker 1: I love I love the cat I love the storytelling, I love the new shit. Whatever. We could talk about lots of things, but I miss I miss our guy, like when we get to do a Kragan episode or Munch like, I've I missed them.
Speaker 2: It's kind of crazy.
Speaker 3: So yeah, Craigan, Melinda Huang, those are the Oh.
Speaker 2: I have a confession. I have a confession.
Speaker 1: I went to a Bobby Flay restaurant and I'm sorry while I was in Vegas.
Speaker 3: I can't believe you did that. I know we are personal friends with Stephanie March.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but.
Speaker 3: Maybe you have to go rewatch a few episodes of Girl Code from MTV. All right, we'll see you guys next week. Bye.
Speaker 1: That's Messed Up as an exactly right production. If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email at That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com. Listen to That's Messed Up on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at glitter Cheese. As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information. Thank you so much to our senior producer, Casey O'Brien and our associate producer, Christina Chamberlain. And to our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner. And to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly gen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia hard Start, Karen Kilgareff, Daniel Kramer and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 2: Dut dun