Speaker 1: On this episode of This League, we talk about Ben Simmons. Oh my god, he hit a three Lebron James's spat with a European soccer player that did not go the way that he thought. Why the San Antonio Spurs, who sit at fifth in the West are actually shopping their two best players? Is that true? And we also work on answering a bunch of new listener dms. Every single time I can, I will mention Ben Simmons. He is electric as a player, but even more so I'm keeping an eye. I'm keeping an eye on when he shoots threes. And we saw the impossible we got ourselves Ben Simmons three point shot sighting. It's only I think the second or third time this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Simmons. He hit a running twenty seven footer with two seconds left in ot uh when they were down six against the Cavs.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, Oh you mean so at a meaningless time he would shoot? Sure, so let's streak out. Clock's running down. Game is over and he decides that's when he wants to try out a three as it expires. I think the crazy thing though, when you see that is you almost forget because he never shoots. His form is really good. Oh yeah, he's very smooth. There is no reason that Ben Simmons should not be out there. I know he has a much better shot than Russell Westbrook, no shade. Like if Russell Westbrook is content to chuck up threes, Ben Simmons should be content to chuck up threes. His form is much better.
Speaker 2: That'd be an interesting three point shootout.
Speaker 1: I would love to see that. How much would you pay to see that? Like?
Speaker 2: That should be the All Star Like, yeah, halftime show.
Speaker 1: The ugliest three point shooters all go head to head. I don't want to see the best shooters. I already know they can shoot. I want to see Ben Simmons go up against Russell Westbrook one on one against Yannis. Yeah, Yannis Westbrook, who else Ben Simmons?
Speaker 2: One more kemba, Sure, let's talk kemba. Yeah, good time to kimba in there.
Speaker 1: So this illustrates exactly what I've been saying about Ben Simmons all year. It's not that he cannot shoot. We saw that practice video when he was with his trainer, like maybe last summer or the summer before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he can shoot.
Speaker 1: That man has a stroke. He just will not shoot, will not some mental issue going on inside of his brain, and that is a massive problem. And it begs the question to me, Am I the only one that cares about Ben Simmons? Truly? You could call me a Ben Simmons hater, but really, like, truthfully, I'm the only one that keeps discussing this. It's so weird, it's so strange and bizarre, and yet somehow it's been normalized. Like the rest of society right now, tons of things that are totally outside of the boundaries of what should be generally accepted practices, and yet we just go on and pretend that they don't exist. Is totally normal. Point guard doesn't shoot, will not shoot, has a mental hang up, But it's okay. He doesn't need to what It's okay? Point guards don't need to do that. And like the Sixers, fans are so delusional that they have just made up so many excuses for him, like you know, Magic Johnson didn't shoot? Are you thinking that Magic Johnson? Is it good? Like John Stockton didn't shoot? Are was he not good as a guard? By the way, folks, let me just bust your bubble because you know who's saying that, or people who are like below twenty five, they didn't see either of those players play. They've got like pixelated YouTube clips. Magic Johnson shot thirty five percent from three his final four years in the NBA. John Stockton was a thirty eight point four percent lifetime shooter from three, and at one point until Joe Ingles just surpassed his record, he was the lifetime all time three point shooter in attempts and shots made on the jazz What are you talking about? And then what else do they say? Oh, he does everything else well, so like that makes up for his inability, or we'll call it refusal, a blatant refusal to do a big part of his job. His defense is underrated. So who cares that he won't do this? Excuses? Excuses, excuses, and you know who does not want excuses? According to multiple articles, because you know, I went in right after that, Ben Simmons three read a bunch of things about him. Ben Simmons doesn't want excuses, folks. He told ESPN his number one weakness is that he has to rely on other people to hold him account. He does not personally hold He is such a perfectionist and needs people to push him to do the things that make him uncomfortable, because he won't do that for himself. He's so afraid of failing. His perfectionism is such to an all time high. He needs people to push him, to force him to do things he does not want to do because he's not great at them. And so maybe his teammates are failing him. Maybe his coaching staff is failing him. Maybe his goddamn fan base is failing him, and they just keep enabling this behavior, gaslighting that these deficiencies don't matter. I'm sorry, folks, they matter. That matters. We are just in the wrong. I am a hater. I am in the wrong for even making mention that he won't shoot every time. It's like, oh, you're just trolling us. You're just no, no, folks, I'm not. I mean, I am, but I'm not. Ben Simmons knows this is a problem. You know how I know because he hired a sports psychologist to get him over that mental block, which has not happened. He hired a skills trainer to teach him to be comfortable shooting. That has not worked. He said, I could be one of those guys shooting thirty percent from three right now. But I would rather be one of those guys shooting forty percent. I mean math, that's math for you. He's so caught up, and I'm worried about being one of those guards that can't shoot threes. I'm worried about being Rajon Rondo. I'm worried about being Russell Westbrook. So you know what, fuck it. I'm just not gonna shoot until I can shoot fifty percent from three. And it's like you're never going to get there if you don't do it in the game, Ben Simmons, that's a fear base. To me, that's a fear based mentality. That's a mental hang up that is associated with perfectionism.
Speaker 2: Would you agree absolutely. I mean, there's no doubt that there's some sort of block going on there for him. There's no doubt.
Speaker 1: Because even if you shot thirty one percent from deep, you are now a more dangerous team. Ask Jannis just one out of three. We know that Jannis can make a few, so we're not going to just let him shoot at will from three. Ben, do not be scared to fail. You are too good to be scared to fail. The sports psychologist said this, which was so incredibly important and also lets me know that his team, organization and fan base is failing him. She says, if I was in charge of the Sixers, I would tell him, if you don't take a pull up jumper and a perimeter shot in every half, I don't care what your percentages are, you're sitting on the bench. A mental health expert who has a PhD in this told Brett Brown and probably Doc Rivers that the blueprint to making Ben Simmons be a monster is to hold that man accountable. Carrot and stick. He already has the carrot. We all praise him. Oh, Ben Simmons, so great, best defender in the league. There's no stick except for me. Stick stick stick. You know it's crazy, it's crazy. I promise you, though, Ben, I promise I will be there for you. I care about you. I will be there every step of the way to say, great game, Ben, Still no shooting sick three pointer when nothing, literally zero was on the line. Nice work. Where did you go in the fourth quarter? Ben Simmons? Still hitting those hook shots, staying in your comfort zone, Like you said, hard against the backboard, doing nothing that makes you uncomfortable. Literally, he said, I could shoot at three. But I could also hit this sick cook shot that I've been doing my entire life. I'm much more comfortable doing that. No shit, So fans and Ben and Ben's sister, the PSA is this. You may hate me, you may call me Trista Bayles, you may say you're a fucking troll. But to me, this is tough love and tough love. I'm ready for the smoke. I am ready for that because Ben Simmons could be one of the most transcendent players we've ever seen, or he can be a multi All Star that looks back on his career and says, what if what if I went outside of my comfort zone? It would shoot? And truthfully, maybe I'm helping looking at his performances every time I go ham on Twitter. The first game back, he had a career performance forty two points. I said, Ben, you're not efficient, and I know he saw it because his sister saw it. Wasn't efficient. I think he would fifty seven percent from the field that game, even after the forty two point performance, and it was like, how do you go one hundred percent from the first quarter and still shoot less than sixty percent from the field when you're in the restricted area and his sister tweeted at me, went after my lips, and you know what happened the next game? Oh my god, Ben Simmons' most efficient performance I've ever seen. So I am going to continue to inflame. I am going to continue to poke the bear. I'm going to continue to take the smoke. You know why, because I want the best for mister balloon hands. I'll be honest. When I saw this news, I didn't want to touch it. I saw its LUFTI say some shit about Lebron that seemed like it was bordering along politics, and you know, I mean it wasn't bordering, it was just right there. And I was like, no way, this is not making the rundown, folks. I'm staying all the way away from this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you're talking about our boys. Lot On Ibrahimovich, Yeah, man.
Speaker 1: Best known in the US for playing for the Galaxy, played in Sweden saying Outland. He also has been saying outlandis shit all the time. Yeah, he is one of those people who has said egotistical comments galore. And what he said was about Lebron. This is what he said. I don't like it when players talk about politics. Do what you're good at aka the sport that you get paid for, and stay out of politics. And there was no response at this time from Lebron, so I was like, you know what, why even touch this topic at all? It's too hot. But Lebron is such a huge footy fan. Dude is even a minority owner of Liverpool. Did you know that, Marty?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I remember he used to wear like a Liverpool like crest and like postgame stuff, So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, was put for it last year's EPL Champion, Champion League winner. Hundreds of lists of the crazy things Laton has said over the years, ranging from I can't help but laugh at how perfect I am to when you buy me, you're buying a Ferrari, not a Fiat or I forget what the other car that he was. So I was like, I was ready to move on right, And then someone fanned the flames and they were like Lebron, which I love. I love when reporters know they're gonna they're gonna get an answer that's going to rock the airwaves.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if you've ever been in these moments, but like when it's you, your heart's just pounding because you know you are about to set the Internet a blaze.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I can imagine.
Speaker 1: Your heart is pumping. Okay, how do I get this out right? How do I say it perfectly where I'm not the one that gets gets flamed and I'm not the one that's like basically accused of inciting drama because that's what you're doing, right. You know that you want an answer, and an answer that's going to transcend the Internet. So they asked lebron, hey, what do you think of Laton's comments? And what we got, my Lord, was a two minute slow motion Tamahawk Kobe dunk right on laton nuts and Laton's face, Edward's dunk in interview form, play.
Speaker 2: The clip at the end of the day.
Speaker 3: You know, I will never shut up about things that's that's wrong. I preach about my people, and I preach about you know, equality, social injustice, racism, you know, a systematic voting, voter suppression, things that go on in our community. Because I was a part of my community at one point and seeing the things that was going on, and I know that you know what's going on still because I have a group of three hundred plus kids at my school. That's going to say.
Speaker 1: When he says he has three hundred kids for folks who are not up to speed, he's talking about the I Promise School that he founded created funded a school where he pays for underprivileged kids, their tuition, their breakfast, lunch and snacks, food for the family for the pantry program. School supplies including a computer, a bike with a helmet, transportation for the kids within two miles, ged assistants for the parents, free college education for anyone who graduates. I mean, come on now. So when he's saying he's putting his money where his mouth is and he cares about his community, that's not all talk continue and they.
Speaker 3: Need a voice, and I'm their voice. I'm their voice, and I use my platform to continue to shed light on everything that may be going on not only in my community but around the uh you know, this country, around the world.
Speaker 1: So pause. So this video alone, at the time that I looked this up, more than three million views. So when he's saying that his voice transcends, that's what he's talking about. Massive platform plaguing.
Speaker 3: You know, if there's no reason, well now I want to say no reason, but there's no way I will ever just stick to sports because I understand how you know, how this platform and how powerful my voice is. Facts And he can just ask Renee Montgomery, you know if I would have shut up and just dribbled seeing that beautiful black woman today, you know, be a part of a group where she's part of ownership group now with the Atlanta Dream down in Atlanta. And it's funny he say that because I.
Speaker 1: Believe in like eighteen so also he talks about Renee Montgomery that was in Atlanta. Also, Lebron in Atlanta worked with not only the Hawks, but multiple other NBA franchises to create voting centers inside of NBA arenas to stop voter suppression. And that's not voter suppression of any one particular group. That is well, I mean it is, but it's for everyone to use. It is for what everyone to use. It's not like certain groups are kept out of those voting centers. That is not a political move. That is a patriotic move. Play again.
Speaker 3: And he was the same guy who said when he was back in Sweden talking about the same things because his last name wasn't a certain last name, that he felt like it was some racism going on when he was out in the pitch, Right he did say that?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I thought he was. I thought he said that.
Speaker 1: A pause is Lebron going directly at Slaton's head because it appears that he is. He is calling him out on his bullshit. And what you don't see because you're listening to a podcast, is that on this video, which you can see, Marty because you're playing the clip, he has a perfectly centered smirk on his face while he's sitting shirt off looking ripped as fuck. Just did he say that? Because I think he said that. I was pretty sure he said that. Keep going.
Speaker 3: I'll speak from a very educated mind. So I'm kind of the wrong guy to actually go at because.
Speaker 1: I do my homework. I'm kind of the wrong guy to go ass Laton because not only do I do my homework, I complete the tests, I even teach the lessons and I put my money where my goddamn mouth is. Did he pull out receipts faster? What? Oh my god, Oh my god? Is that true? What did Laton actually say, Marty? What was what was Lebron referencing?
Speaker 2: Okay, here's the full quote. Because they the media still attacks me because they cannot accept that I am Abrahimovitch. If another Swedish player would do the same mistake I do, they would defend them, But when it comes to me, they do not defend me. This is about racism. I don't say there is racism, but I say there is undercover racism. This exists. I am one hundred percent sure because they am not Anderson or Svenson. If I would be that, trust me, they would defend me, even if I would rob a bank. But they're not defending me in the way that they should.
Speaker 1: It doesn't seem like Latana is talking about soccer. It doesn't seem like he's staying in his lane about what he's good at. Seems to me that Latana is talking about race and racism exactly what he's saying. Lebron should not be talking about in a different country that he is not a part of and is not fully aware of the dynamics in And guess what, By the way, as an aside, do you know Marty who's Latan's hero?
Speaker 2: Is no no idea.
Speaker 1: Muhammad Ali is his hero. I think consensus is that Mohammad Ali is the most political athlete who has ever lived. I fucking hate hypocrisy so goddamn much. I was in LA when the Galaxy and anounce that they had signed Laton. I know that he's great, and I know he says a lot of stupid shit too.
Speaker 2: When he took out the full page ad oh God welcome.
Speaker 1: Yes, when you say the kinds of things that Laton says, maybe it's you that should stick to just talking about your sport. Maybe for the folks who have other interests, are educated on other topics and want to make an impact outside of the game, they can talk about other things. Maybe it's just Use Laton that needs to follow your own goddamn advice, because an articulate, educated, intelligent man should be able to talk about other things than just what he does for a living, especially when it gets people to get an ownership percentage of a new team, especially when more people are able to vote as a as a result, and especially when hundreds of kids end up going to college because he decided to fight for them. So maybe, as Use Laton wh be quiet this league. Here's what we know. The Spurs are shopping, and they're not shopping to buy. It appears they're shopping to sell. Spurs are fifth in the West, but it looks like they're moving. Maybe they're two best players in LaMarcus Aldridge and Jama Derosen. That doesn't make sense, does it to me? Does it make sense to you?
Speaker 2: Aldridge? Maybe? DeRozan, No, he's playing pretty well.
Speaker 1: Aldrich does make sense because he's coming off the bench. But really, what are you gonna be able to get for him? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No? In ms return?
Speaker 1: Yeah, twenty million dollars a year, and it's like, I don't want that player. Uh So it doesn't make sense at first glance, but when you look closer, it kind of does. DeRozan and Audridge both on expiring contracts. Damar's making twenty eight million and Audridge is making twenty one and it appears Listen, I don't know what's gonna happen, but it appears that neither guy is going to get a deal done to re sign, and instead of losing them for nothing, they the Spurs look like they're trying to move forty nine million dollars off the books right this second, which says possibly maybe they're also a buyer. They have forty nine million dollars in a media cat space the West. Who knows how open. It really is. Utah's running away a couple of LA teams. Who knows anything can happen. Just ask the Denver Nuggets, right, if they don't trade them now, they will lose them for sure for nothing Tomorrow is valuable. LaMarcus is not valuable. He probably won't receive another contract outside the minimum after this. He's gonna be like a Hassan white Side, in my opinion, go to like a place like Sacramento, chill out at one point, make one point six million dollars a year after his massively inflated contract that the Spurs took on. And so as good as the Spurs can play, I think that they have to know to a degree they're not gonna win the championship this year, right, Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean no, yeah, no, not even worth talking about.
Speaker 1: They're the best team exactly right, the best team nobody is watching, no one. But they're also pretty fucking hot. They've won twelve out of their last sixteen. DeRozan is averaging twenty five and seven. Audredge has missed ten games this year with an injured hip. He's averaging fourteen five and two. So it's an interesting balance, right, Because fans are excited. They're like, Oh, it's the first time in years we're gonna go to the playoffs. Boom.
Speaker 2: They got that new Fiesta court design.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I love that. And the incentive is at this point just to hold on to players with expiring contracts, even if it's not the right move for them long term, because who knows how far we can go. We can't win, but who knows how far we can go. That's exciting for fan base that has been down, down bad. So in addition to people now talking about the Spurs being sellers, there's awesome rumors that they might be interested in Poorzingis. Did you hear that? Have you heard that? No?
Speaker 2: I have not heard this rumbling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've heard that. The rumor is DeMar could be moved since he's rumored to have already turned down the extension with the Spurs. And I don't think Rcpuford is going to let DeMar Derosen walk for nothing. He might let LaMarcus Aldrige walk for nothing because you're not gonna get much back. And they appear to be interested in Porzingis, who the MAVs now have also are shopping on the trading walk can you imagine for a second. I know Kristaps has been very injured, but my slightly optimistic mind wonders how good Kristaps Porzingis can be working every day with Tim Duncan I.
Speaker 2: Do kind of love that?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It could be a re emergence. He would work really well in pop system too, Yeah, immediately with like Dejonte Murray. However, the Spurs are not also rumored to have a great training staff. Ask why so, I'm not. I'm a little concerned about the long term health prospects, given that Perzingis is twenty five with as brittle as someone with like an eighty He's like an eighty five year old woman body wise, like just breaking down, random elbows and knees flying around. So I don't know what this means for the Spurs. It's kind of a weird season. It's kind of a lose lose situation. I don't know if they're gonna get a deal done with de Rosen. I think they want to keep them, but they can't keep them, so it's like, what do you do? It's like a standoff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so now.
Speaker 1: You've got what you've got? Is like, what if you trade de Rosen. You don't get anything back, but you only get picks. Now your playoff chances are shot. I mean you're really gonna fall off a cliff. Imagine playing the Lakers or Jazz or Clippers in the first round. I mean, you're gonna get a cinery can't coon on three. So now what you've got is like a meek mild Spurs organization walking around like the NBA neighborhood with al Drodgen DeRos and in their shopping carts like, hey, hey, hey, are you interested in a shooting guard who doesn't like to shoot jumpers outside of fifteen feet but scores twenty a game. I mean, he does make twenty eight million a year, but you have his bird right sitting six months from now. You know that's good? Or maybe, hey, if you don't want him, maybe I can tempt you with a gimpy, thirty five year old power forward center who likes to shoot their three six time All Star broken, a little bit broken and hobbled, but he can come off the bench for you shoot a corner three. He does make twenty million a year. Don't listen to Zach Lowe when he says no one is high on Aldrodgen Derosen. These guys are priced to move. Folks all ust to say, this is much ado about nothing, this news story. These guys are staying put right.
Speaker 2: That seems like the most likely scenario.
Speaker 1: Good for Spurs fans, Good for the NBA fans in general, they haven't sniffed to play off in three years. Good for popping the franchise, I mean, but very sad for RCBU for who's gonna let two guys that get paid a lot of money walk for nothing in return and they're still going to get bounced in the first round regardless. So NBA purgatory. What a tough place to live. But it's part of the business, huh. I always try to get us different songs for the question segment.
Speaker 2: I like it well. Before we get into the DMS, I have a question for you. I saw Brandon Tierney tweet the following question, and I wondered what your reaction was. He wrote, all right, a legit question at his absolute apex, was Chris Bosh ever better than peak Julius Randall? I guess he means Julius Randall right now, and then he ended that with the answer is.
Speaker 1: No, Eh. Every time you see someone in the media say legit question off the top of their tweet. It is not a legit question because they know it's jokeville. Hence the reason they have to qualify it with I'm being dead ass serious because this is a joke hypothetical. Throw it out. Uh. Anybody actually thinking about this debate probably didn't watch Chris Bosh as a Toronto Raptor would you agree with that?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Or forget?
Speaker 2: Or forgot?
Speaker 1: Ye? Because Chris Bosh was a monster, monster in his because we're talking about Pete Chris Bosh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ANBA First Team All NBA.
Speaker 1: First Team player efficiency rating. Let's talk about that. In his prime, his player efficiency rating was only surpassed by This was right before he went to the heat, only surpassed by Kevin Durant, d Wade, and Lebron That's it. That's it. That's elite company, folks. That's the complete list. This guy had a true shooting percentage of sixty percent. As a man who was seven feet tall what six' eleven won The Shooting Skill game at The All Star game three years in a. Row, quickness HIGH basketbayq could play lockdown d at his, size could switch, everything had an insane postgame could pass eleven Time All? Star how many? Games how Many All stars Has Julius randold?
Speaker 2: Made, one which is ten less Than Chris? Bosh? Yeah. One, also he Was ALL nba Second. Team he wasn't first. Team that was a mistake on my.
Speaker 1: Bed So knicks fans are literally dancing in the streets Because Julius randall is pulling up them up from the depths of, hell And James dolan is the worst owner in, sports and so any bit of something they're clinging. To you are our, Messiah Julius. Randall you're better than anyone. Ever but come on, now can we just please keep things in their perspective and put some respect On Chris bosh's name because it's just it's. INEXPLICABLE i almost don't have words for. This the year that he formed a super team With brown And wade right before he went to The, heat which we will call his, prime we already talked about as a player efficiency, Rating bosh had a higher player efficiency rating choo shooting, percentage more wind, share better rebounding, percentage better blocking, percentage better turnover, percentage and average more points Than. Randall this. Year, Wow i'd say that's pretty. Damning he obviously redefined if you're not if you're like a young, millennial you don't know, This But Chris bosh redefined what it meant to be a big in THE. Nba if he was healthy right, now at thirty, six he might be better Than Julius.
Speaker 2: Randall right, now.
Speaker 1: That's a tough. Take it's. Debatable it's.
Speaker 2: Debatable, YEAH i Love Julius, randall but, YEAH i, mean he came into the league at a really important, time like kind of a crossroads for big, man and he just bridged the gap better than really almost, anyone just about.
Speaker 1: Anyone If Chris bosh was in his prime right, now he'd be averaging thirty and be a top player in THE.
Speaker 2: Nba, yeah, yeah, Yeah Prime bosh Like trio five year Old.
Speaker 1: Bosh, yeah twenty five year Old bosch in twenty twenty one would be a mister. Killer THE nba is tailor made for his game right, now and he was a part of making it what it is right. Now so let's put it another way for fans who don't seem to get my, message would The knicks right now be better With Prime bosh than they are With Prime. Randall, yes Because bosh is who you guys thought and salivated all over Christaps. Porzingis he's a better version of what you Hoped Kristaps porzingis would be what you thought was going to reinvigorate and turn Your french is a. Round Would Julius randall be on anyone's super team? Ever would you ever form A big three Including Julius? Randall the answer is. No is there ANY espn special focusing on Where Julius randall is going to go in free? Agency the answer is also. No please put some respect On Chris bosh's.
Speaker 2: Name, yeah, No. GLAD i got your response on that. One, Okay so next, up we have what's the worst signing your team has ever made in YOUR nba? Career it was a.
Speaker 1: Good, question SO i would say it's not one. Signing it was one. Year do you remember when THE mvpa basically strong armed THE nba to not smoothing the salary cap curve and it just spiked up? Randomly sixteen the year That Kevin durant got to go to The warriors in a fleecing because it was one opportunity where the cap had spiked up like. Crazy so it's going to go. Down twenty sixteen is going to go down as maybe one of the worst free agent signings for any team.
Speaker 2: Ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why well we had With Portland. Trailblazers it was the worst for. Us salary cat spiked and we Got Meyers leonard for forty one million, Dollars Alan krabb four, years seventy five million. Dollars do you even does any casual fan even know these? Players Evan turner not in the league right. Now he is a coach for The Boston. Celtics four, years seventy million. Dollars let me do a little quick math for you. Folks, Leonard crab And Turner Costa blazers one hundred and eighty six million dollars in twenty sixteen of dead. Money just that was five years ago and we were stuck. Stuck crab And turner not even in the league right. Now that tells you how bad those signings. Were that was maybe the worst signing The blazers have ever. Had they call that the year of The. Albatro they say That blazer gms That neil o'sha has a little twenty sixteen post it note on his, Refrigerator, like remember remember twenty, sixteen how bad that? Was how long that took you to come out Of and you have to, say how incredible was it that that, team that team Without alan krap because we traded his, ass that that team With Evan turner And Meyers leonard and Those albatross. Contracts, somehow some way we went to The Western conference. Finals how is that? Possible that's. Insane let's talk About Evan turner for a. Second Evan turner averaged ten and a half, points four point nine, rebounds and four point four assists when he played In, boston and he averaged eighteen In. Philly so The blazers gave him four years and seventy million. Dollars by the, way we struck out On Hassan whiteside couldn't get, him could not Get Chandler, parsons struck out on. Him so we Chose Evan turner as, like, well we got all this, money we got all this, money we gotta spend. It.
Speaker 2: Boston boston media has been hyping him.
Speaker 1: Up boston media's been talking about how good of a team guy is for the. Culture Fuck boston. Media So blazers gave him four years and seventy knowing that he couldn't shoot three point shots as a, wing WHICH, i as you, Know marty absolutely, hate not knowing how they were gonna, fit how he was gonna fit into the. Offense and you know what he averaged FOR us eight four and three seventy million dollars for eight four and three twenty five minutes a game for, That AND i tell you, What Thank, God Evan turner had the best game seven of his entire career against The Denver nuggets when we, won because we could ship his terrible contract out the door With Meyers leonard the very second that we possibly. Could so twenty sixteen's got to be the. Worst gotta.
Speaker 2: Be, Okay next, UP i think this might be the last one. Too we've got what's your your personal favorite slash TOP nba moment of your childhood or.
Speaker 1: LIFE i think this kind of goes back to WHAT i was just. Saying the twenty nineteen was that the year of twenty. Nineteen, Yeah. Trailblazers we Had, dame we HAD, Cj we picked Up. Hoodie hoodie was like a broken. Man he had been With lebron In. Cleveland didn't really know his. Role and he even said That Damian lillard shepherded him and like he was his like baby. Calf he like fed him milk and took him to the gym every day and like was a mentor to. Him and all of a sudden hood turns back in to this real wing. Player for. Us we had an undersized four and Mo. Hearkless we Had Meyers leonard who was. Ugh we Had Zach collins who was a Rookie Yusuf nurkic goes down with like one of the most freak leg Injuries i've ever, seen, grotesque like A Gordon hayward. Esque we had Al farukaminu who was like sometimes he could shoot and make twelve threes in a, game and sometimes he would go zero for, Thirty like that was chief for. You and it was just all. Chemistry they all loved each, other, right SO i knew as this team went on like they could possibly they had a chip on their, shoulder. Right everybody said this team couldn't do. Shit we Played Oklahoma city in the first, round and everybody, said even though we were a higher, seed The Oklahoma city was gonna take us, out just like The New Orleans. Pelicans did they make quick work out of? Us right?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah and then and, then oh my, god The Dame lillard crossover, iconic Bye Bye bye Send. Home who AND i knew at that point we were. HOT i was In nashville at that time when the bye bye bye thing. Happened, yeah AND i was working in THE nfl, draft AND i would walk around to everybody bye bye bye, bye just like insufferable as A trailblazers, fan just. Awful so THEN i go on a. TRIP i go To, bali where it's like fifteen hours ahead Of portland, time And game seven rolls. Around we're playing The nuggets and we're down like seventeen in game, seven and it's three Am bali, time AND i have no interest in watching My blazers die a slow death in game. Seven BUT i had been watching every game. LIVE i have a LITTLE, vpn was rocking, it watching my phone streaming WHEREVER i. Was, yeah and Then i'm, like, Well i'm not gonna watch this at three. Am this is exact exactly How blazer games always. End we play great for six games and then we shit the, bed go, home try again the next, year, Right SO i fall back, asleep and THEN i HEAR cj for three and The blazers take the, lead And i'm like, What SO i wake up And Evan turner's Ballin' CJ's Balin' dame's ice, cold but everybody else is doing. Everything it's, like oh my, God, yes could we possibly Move Evan? Turner yes we. Can this is the time he's. Gone he's this boy's. Gone even if we don't, win everybody's gonna look At Evan turner And Meyers leonard and be, like, oh he's so. Great they're so. Great they didn't watch all the Like tuesday night games when they went like one for, Seventeen oh my. God and then another part WAS i got back From bali AND i was a going to a wedding In, portland SO i got a. Credential SO i grow up In, portland been going to, Games blazer games my whole, life AND i get to cover The Western Conference finals in my. HOMETOWN i showed up at like four. Pm game with tip was at. SEVEN i just wanted to like be, there, RIGHT i just want to like stand on the, court just be, there like soaking it all. Up and THEN i saw everyone along the way on my path to, MEDIA i saw the sid For Portland, state who was the first sports information director for my very very first gig in media WHEN i was a sideline. Reporter he was there working. Stats my radio broadcasting teacher from high. School he was there working THE pa like it was just and they had put up the poster Of dame inside the tunnel with the bye bye. Bye they had already done it only two. Weeks it was just like plastered, everywhere AND i got a little misty. EYED i was, like oh my, God i've come so. Far oh, yeah we got we got. Swept but it Was game three and it's okay BECAUSE i got to enjoy. THAT i got to stand on the court as a. Fan and it's tough to be a fan of your own team and work the game because then you're, like you're on the edge of your seat and you want to be like, ah but you can't because there's no cheering in the press box and he's like sitting there on the edge of your. Seat iconic twenty Nineteen, Blazers oh my, god what was your favorite?
Speaker 2: Moment, ooh let's. See, uh probably in twenty, ten AFTER i, mean we had battled with The spurs like basically the entire two, thousands and they had always gotten the better of. Us and then in twenty ten we played them in the second round after we Beat portland actually in the first round With Brandon roy and we go and Sweep San antonio to go to The West. Finals that draggag game in game three where he scored like twenty five in the in the. FOURTH i think that one was pretty. Special getting it back against The spurs was pretty.
Speaker 1: Awesome, yeah rivalry games and you can finally come back after your. Arrivals, yep it's something. Else it'd be like If portland swept The lakers after after the two, thousand you, Know Western Conference. Finals, incredible and this.
Speaker 2: Was and this was still LIKE i mean LIKE i don't want to say, prime but it was still Like Parker mont who duncan AND i.
Speaker 1: Would say that's still.
Speaker 2: Prime, yeah, Ish. Yeah we just went in and steamrolled and it was.
Speaker 1: Awesome that's all the time that we have for this. League please. Subscribe i'm getting dms of people unsubscribing and resubscribing, anyway, folks so please do. That please, unsubscribe, resubscribe rate. Review by the, way there's a lot of trolls hating in the review, section and so please bring my ratings. Up it's either five stars or one. STARS i need a little more fives because right Now i'm sitting out like a two and a half, rating which is. Fine it's mostly due to The ben seven, eight but it does make a huge difference for, us all of. Us we also Have This league hoodies on sale in The barstool. Store more merch will, come please and thank. You we will be Back friday. Morning