Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty.
Speaker 2: Arm Strong and Katty and he Armstrong and Getty. We've wind up.
Speaker 1: Ten different guests to talk about the government shutdown over the next three hours. Cable news. I'm old, so I watch cable news. I realize a lot of you who are not old, You're like you were watching what that? You don't watch it, so that makes sense. But the small number of people who still watch cable news, what do they think they're doing? I watch MSNBC and Fox every morning, and they were wall to wall government shutdown. I thought, is there anybody in the country interested in this back and forth and the wranglings over this?
Speaker 2: Anyone?
Speaker 1: And even if you're interested in it, you probably misunderstand it. I've got a good illustration of that caught up a little later, not because you lack sophistication or anything like that, but because the budget process is so complicated. Haven't you lived through the last dozen of these where most of the time he gets settled before it happens and nobody ever thinks about it again after all this.
Speaker 2: Conversation, Yes, the beltweit bubble.
Speaker 1: They're self obsessed on a completely different topic which we're going to slide into now. Got this note from Mike who lives in the San Jose, California area. We're huge in the hoe. Shout out to our friends there, Californian California. In a nutshell, homeless guy is masturbating outside someone's home and he runs bites a cop in the process of being arrested. And the headline in the Mercury News is advocates blame San Jose's homelessness approach for violent police altercation with unhoused man.
Speaker 2: Wow. And he said it's articles.
Speaker 1: As much he supports local journalism, it was articles like this that made him throw up his hands and cancel his subscription to Sure Mercury News, which used to.
Speaker 2: Be a really good regional paper Metro.
Speaker 1: And hey, even your readers in the Bay area of California no longer are on your side on this sort of stuff. People are speaking of bubbles. Yeah, journalism in America is a weird little subset of people. It's like the Amish, but odder anyway, their lives and thoughts have nothing to do with your as friends. So topic of bums and junkies came across this yesterday. It's a guy who goes on the street in San Francisco. He's actually wearing those cool ray band glasses where you can video people and record him. I don't know if he's getting their permission or not.
Speaker 2: I don't know. They're feats on the street. Yeah. I know JJ Smith's works. He's really good.
Speaker 1: This is what he does, and he's very polite and respectful and asks people if you can talk to them and record it. But anyway, here's a conversation with a young man standing on a street corner in uh, could be any corner in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Where you from?
Speaker 3: Patrick, I'm from Indiana, Indiana, USA?
Speaker 2: Hey, how long you've been in San Francisco, West Indiana. I've been in San Francisco for four years? Four years? Max. What type of drugs you use?
Speaker 3: I use crack and phetamine, hard cocaine. I use fentanyl, iso fentanyl, isopoo, fentanyl and smoke weed.
Speaker 2: Do you know I fitanel can kill you?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, How you ever overdosed on it?
Speaker 3: I've overdosed yeah, many times, several times.
Speaker 2: Several times. Yes. That never scared you. It scars me every time. Don't has it scared you not to use it anymore? Sort of but not not.
Speaker 3: There's no longevity there.
Speaker 2: Obviously pretty well spoken dude.
Speaker 1: It's not like he's, you know, completely crazy or an idiot by any means.
Speaker 2: Rolls on, Are you homeless?
Speaker 3: On how I'm no, No, I'm not, you're not what I'm not homeless or.
Speaker 2: In honest he said, he still on the streets? Are in the shelter?
Speaker 3: Or I have an apartment through a subsidy? Uh that it was a nonprofit funded with city benefits.
Speaker 2: Oh so they gave you an apartment. The city gave you an apartment. Yeah, okay, how did that work it out for you? Well, I mean it's working out.
Speaker 3: It's working out really well relative to some of the people on the streets. I mean I still have a lot of my health, i'd say, and I you know, I have the ability to not worry about like my basic needs like you know, food, shelter, and hold.
Speaker 2: Are you I'm thirty one? Tell you what do you ever stay in contact with your family members? I talked to my mom kind of if I was able to tell you I could help you out and get you into a detox where you can start helling yourself. Are you interested? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I'm always interested. Uh, I have kind of a flight risk, a risk.
Speaker 2: Ye, what do you mean about it.
Speaker 3: I've been to several detoxes, even since I've been in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: You know, I've researched the avenues.
Speaker 3: But then when it gets close, I I just tend to not go.
Speaker 2: Okay, I understand you what that means. Now.
Speaker 3: No, I'm super interested, Like I'm super interested. But then, like, fedol is such a different animal, it's such a different drug.
Speaker 2: It's like I lived in Chicago.
Speaker 3: I was. I was a heroin out of in Chicago for some years and I was always able to get into detox very easily. But there's something with the spend on it's like just.
Speaker 2: Keeping people on the streets.
Speaker 1: Okay, we got more of this, But that's a pretty interesting insight right there. As a guy who used does meth and heroin, fentanyl's a different animal.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was struck by his rather concise and eloquent description of what I'm always going on about the city. San Francisco has made it easy and comfortable for him to continue to be an addict. Which is the worst thing you can do. I'm reminded of the words of Nelly Bowles, now of the Free Press, before the Free Press existed, as a liberal, lesbian San Franciscan who realized that as she put it so beautifully, and I wish I had it in front of me, I'll paraphrase that, the way we treat these people is allegedly kindness, but it doesn't look like kindness to me. It looks like easing young people into death on the pavement. Okay, well, that gets into having a judgment about their lifestyle.
Speaker 2: Maybe you don't like that.
Speaker 1: You're a libertarian and people should be able to do whatever they want. Fine, if you can support yourself while you're taking fentanyl and meth and hard cocaine whatever that is, and a bunch of other stuff.
Speaker 2: Go ahead.
Speaker 1: But if you can't support yourself, and now it's my money you're paying for you, Now I get to say.
Speaker 2: Well, he said, it's worked out.
Speaker 1: His apartment, a city paid apartment, because it takes care of all of his basic needs. He doesn't have to worry about being broke or on the street. It's great so he can keep being a junkie, and that is the favor we're doing him as a society quote.
Speaker 2: Unquote, let's a little more of this and discuss more some of this. When you get your supplies, do you get them from harm Reduction? Yeah? Yeah, I supplies. I know.
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: Let me actually, what do you think about harm reduction? Do you think they're enabling people? Yes? I do think they're enabling people.
Speaker 3: But I can't say that they're a totally bad organization because they do offer services. But like I said before, that if barely anybody takes the services, I also have such a grip on people that remember they you know, they they take the pipes and the and the brillo and the you know, the needles over the you know, the subtexts, the maintenance trument's, the micro the eath and orphan microos, the uh SD tests.
Speaker 2: Yeah, OK, I'll get there. Darn it.
Speaker 1: We edited out the part I wanted to talk about. Hmmm, that's just funny. Uh uh. He He was asked what he does all day long or where he gets his money, and he talked a little bit about it, and they kind of like winked at each other and used some code words. I wanted to ask people what that meant. Did that mean he stole all day long? Was he breaking into cars? Or let's see if we can dig that up. We have the raw audio. Yeah, we'll come back to it, because I thought that's a heck of a thing to gloss over if that's what he meant.
Speaker 2: You know, I just kind of you know, I steal from my other stuff. Ha ha.
Speaker 1: You know, if you've got your car broken into in the San Francisco are you don't find it quite as funny or is not a big deal as he does. Yeah, as long as I'm quoting people, Thomas Sowell famously said, there are some ideas so stupid. It was a word like stupid, so stupid only an intellectual could could have them. And I'm there are so many times when especially progressive America, manages to overlook the bedrock truths of human beings and human behavior, and that is, if you want less of a terrible, terrible behavior, there have to be disincentives for it. Well, I'm trying to wrap my head around how you even get to this place. So San Francisco's a hippie town or know, And this is true, and lots of places, not just San Francisco, But uh, San Francisco is a hippie town, and so they think partying is cool and you shouldn't ever describe any possible downsides to party in hert Like a lot of port cities, it has a reputation isn't anything goes place?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: But then when you got drug addicts on the street, so did those of you who you still believe that if you just had if you just had enough rehabs, these people would go to rehab and stop doing this.
Speaker 2: You think, how do you come to that conclusion?
Speaker 1: What's your what's your mindset of data that brought you to that conclusion?
Speaker 2: Do they know like they have no experience of the actual people?
Speaker 1: I would guess, well, it's not like I've lived my life around heroin addicts. It just seems like obvious to me. Sure, yeah, wow, that's really interesting. And then you've got the crowd that uses the numbers of people on the streets to claim it's a housing thing. And then that's I don't know, you're either an idiot or it's just a scam. It's a way to try to get more tax revenue. Yeah, anything goes, I get, but anything goes and taxpayers will pay for it. Is an attitude that is not only outrageous as a taxpayer, but just again, it overlooks the bedrock truths of human behavior. That guy seems more or less perfectly comfortable with his lifestyle. Yeah, yeah, to the extent that an addict can be. Yeah, yes, because of the quote unquote services.
Speaker 2: Every time I hear these stories, so I just I'm amazed this guy's still alive. Just this list of drugs that he was using.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we edited out also the number of times he's had to be brought back. He's overdosed a whole bunch of times and had to be revived, you know, because you heard him asked you ever you never almost did oh yeah yeah, or you realize could kill you? Oh yeah, yeah yeah. I have overdose a whole bunch of different times. They had to bring me back. Wow, And it just like it seemed like a no big deal to him whatsoever.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the number of times we've talked about this that we've been flooded with emails and texts saying guys, I was an addict of various substances and getting arrested and put in jail saved my life we see over again. Yes, yes, we have seen that over and over again. Have we ever had one in your in your personal life or on the radio. Have you ever had one? Yeah, they put me up in an apartment. They gave me needles and brittopads and all that stuff he is mentioned. They gave me a vouchers so I could buy food, and then I got sober.
Speaker 2: I have never heard that story one time, not one.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I think we have the clip you're looking for, Michael seventy four, still coming in and actually, okay, we'll get to that later.
Speaker 2: Is she mailing it to us or what? How do we get these clips we have? We have, we have the same bird. I got it right now now it's sent by owl. Okay, okay, So how do you how do you survive like to get your to get the money to get the drugs. Well, I don't know how. I don't know how much. I don't know how much of that I can go into. I've been trying to go with my story, but whatever you want to say.
Speaker 3: Well, I've gone career.
Speaker 2: Okay, every day.
Speaker 1: I work every day, so I've gone I've gone career. And he kind of smiles and nods, So that's breaking into cars. I couldn't tell if that was turning tricks or breaking into cars. Well, that's interesting. It could be that I assumed he use a he's a thief, he's a shoplifter.
Speaker 2: Right, and then for that to be just so you know, I break into cars.
Speaker 1: So yeah, they they provide me with an apartment and all the stuff I need from a drugs and then I steal from preak people who are just trying to park their cars so they can go to work. All because he had one medical Billy couldn't pay in housing is expensive, said nobody. Ever, that is really interesting again, what's your any response to that?
Speaker 2: Text? Line four one five two nine five kftc.
Speaker 4: Armstrong Ngetti, a Los Angeles County Deputy sheriff, has been accused of smuggling black tar heroin into a jail by hiding it inside two cans of pringles. And the worst part was the prisoners could never get that last bit of heroin from the bottom of the cabin.
Speaker 2: Though at the end of the day, it's Philly a jo.
Speaker 1: So we just played some audio as an interview with a drug addict standing on the street in San Francisco, which is probably not a lot different than the drug addict standing on the street in Seattle or La or sam Hit in all West coast cities, but that's where a lot of it is. Vancouver, man, you can just drive I five San Diego, La on off the coast, San Francisco, Hit, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver cities. That will provide you someplace to live, all the paraphernalia you need to take, the drugs, all that sort of thing, and it's working out great. As you look around the city, you can see that it's a that plan has been really you can reap the benefits anyway. So the guy that was interviewed on the street, at some point, the interviewer said, you know how you getting by or whatever, and he said, oh, I've gone career, and a whole bunch of people they pointed out that that means career criminal. That's your street lingo. He's almost bragging about it, as if there's no stigma in that culture. Yeah, seems to be. He didn't seem the least bit bothered by the fact that I'm parking my car so I can go in him to a store or go to work or whatever. You smash the windows, stole some stuff. I now have great expense, My insurance goes up. You stole my laptop all the putte pain that comes with that. But you know, hey, what are you going to do? And he stole everything in the story you went into, right, Yeah, that's a little disappointing that it's a treated you may have crossed paths with him. He was walking out with his big trash can full of trash bag full of what you were going to buy, and while you were in there saying what hell's all the goods, he was breaking into your car win Win.
Speaker 2: Uh. Well, I'll just here's somebody somewhat angry.
Speaker 1: A lot of you are quite angry with that nonchalant drug addict thief standing on the corner there.
Speaker 2: I'm dead being serious.
Speaker 1: I want to go dark knight vigilante like Philippines President Duratati or whatever his name is on the Temple day. Yeah, well, I don't know that I want that, well, and I know I don't want that.
Speaker 2: You don't need that. You just got to stop enabling these people.
Speaker 1: You know, you don't need to give people an apartment and money for food and the actual paraphernalia to take the drugs. You don't need to do that, and if you stop, you'll have a lot fewer drug addicts period. Sure. Yeah, it's too miserable. I don't want to do this anymore. That has been Is that not jack? Roughly the cry that precedes every serious attempt to heal from addiction. This sucks. I don't want to do this anymore. Yeah, essentially, Yeah, yeah, I don't like this lifestyle. Whatever the other lifestyle would be, of not being drunk or drugged, I would prefer to This is the only way anybody ever stops. And if you're providing somebody a pretty easy life, and if you don't have to go to work every day, obviously you don't have any kids or anything like that, or if you do, you don't care about them. I was you know, he's from Indiana. Do you talk to your mom, The interviewer asked, Yeah. Sometimes, Yeah, you know, mom might just have just raised a kid, like we all raise a kid, and for whatever reason, at a party, that kid did some drugs and tried fentanyl, and off the goes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: First worth mentioning that he was an addict in Chicago for a while and now he's in San Francisco. Was it because he was transferred for his career or what exactly?
Speaker 2: The weather?
Speaker 1: Probably I'm guessing he got word that, Hey, they really take take care of you in San Francisco. It's great and easy to be an addict. I'd be in fre Attle, but it's too rainy, so I went with San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Great. Why does society do this? Anyway, We've got more on the win.
Speaker 1: Armstrong and Getty now you I do want to talk about March Madness and betting gambling a little bit later. As you know, it's changed in the last few years. A big court ruling allowed legalized gambling all across the country in a way that had never existed before, and there's been an explosion of gambling. We do ads for it too, and I, you know, do whatever you want to do. I have no problem with that. It's funny as well. I'll save this for later. I heard NPR doing this story. Their take was hilarious. Anyway, my main thrust here is you don't understand the giant federal government. I don't understand the giant federal government. It'd be almost possible to understand it, and it's hopeless to think we're ever going to pare it down to something that is responsible to the people. So good night, everybody drive safely, tip your weight staff. Yes, and it's equally impossible for say, the president to understand it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So this is an article in the Wall Street Journal by Kim Strassel. Strassel do we decide how were you going to pross? Meet the lawyer who's about to head one of the most ideological offices in Washington. Her meet Dylan is her name, and she was appointed. Talk to her several times. Yeah, we've talked to her. Yes, Wow, cool? What did we talk to her about? Oh, she's represented some great clients in the face of progressive madness. I don't remember the specifics.
Speaker 2: She's junior.
Speaker 1: She's doomed in this new assignment, I think, But yeah, she is going to she's the nominee as Assistant Attorney General for civil rights and she is going to be involved in what former Attorney General Eric Holder called the Justice Department's crown jewel. And this is something that none of us pay any attention to the Civil Rights Division of the Justice Department, which has I'm in favor of civil rights jack, which has for decades successfully repelled any effort at reform or oversight. It's a hotbad of liberal activism that acts as a law unto itself. If mister Trump hopes to see through his goal of deep politicizing the Justice Department, it will be ground zero. And I thought a lot of you had been overstating, you know, the Justice Department's ideological leanings or the deep state or whatever.
Speaker 2: But no, you haven't been.
Speaker 1: And this whole there's an article the other day about all the people that Elon is firing and trying to get rid of. But it's the gazillions of unelected people underneath all these people that are real, the fabric of the whole federal government, that make the rules and bog things down and cost you money, that are most untouchable. Oh yeah, Well you go to somebody in that the Civil Rights Division of the Justice Department, you say, all right, yeah, I need you to file this writ. I'll say, I'm on it. And a week later, how's that writ to file? And gone, I lost it? All right, I need you to file it all right? Week later I lost it again. I ought to fire you. Well you can't.
Speaker 2: They quote a.
Speaker 1: Former Republican in the Wall Street journal who got involved in this division of the Justice Department. I've never been met with greater hostility narrowly. All the career lawyers come from liberal advocacy groups and all carry the mindset I can do exactly what I was doing for the ACL you only now with the power of the government behind me. Largest of the Justice's eight litigation areas today, it has a mandate far beyond the nineteen fifty seven Civil Rights Law. It was initially created a police It's embedded activists take pride not in enforcing the law, but in making the law and areas that range from disabilities in voting laws to housing lending and immigration. It's one sided approach to the laws. It oversees. Constant trading narrowly on radical priorities, ignoring entirely basic speech and religious rights has played a part in American's distrust of the Department.
Speaker 2: And that's why you're so angry with the federal government all the time.
Speaker 1: It comes out of this department prior republican of political appointees, alongside the rare conservative lawyer who accidentally ended there, brim with stories of the division's resistance to direction, even direct orders. Career attorneys refused to work on cases. This is kind of what you were talking about. Career attorneys refuse to work on cases which with which they disagree. Others take part with the goal of misleading superiors on legal questions or sabotaging cases. Lawyers send letters, make threats, or initiate proceedings without sign off from leadership. So they really just do whatever the hell they want to do on their own. Yeah, they're all activists, self righteous, angry activists and things really hum along with Democrats and are in charge. A twenty thirteen Inspector General report evaluating the operations of the civil rights divisions noted that of nine trial attorneys hired in twenty ten, eight had one or more liberal affiliations, including activist groups like the Aclulraza or a Lawyer's Committee for Civil Rights, which is a crazy organization. Also with no candidates that were Republican or conservative affiliated hired. And it got even crazier under Biden, according to the Wall Street Journal. And that was in the voting section. And you may recall when Georgia tried to quite reasonably say COVID's over, We're going to go back to the before COVID rules. The Justice Department went crazy, and you got all that Jim Crow on steroids, horrific garbage out at Joe Biden his administration. So all these super lefty organizations are fighting like crazy. They're waging a ferocious battle that says here against her confirmation. A letter signed by sixty five activist group warnsman assault on this and that if she is confirmed. So they're really pressure and Democrats to to try to keep her from becoming the nominee. Nobody pays any attention to this stuff. No normal person is even where it's going on, and it doesn't make the news on a daily basis. All these affiliated with the most left ring wing Marxist organizations, lawyers pushing cases, they care about losing files and cases. They don't care about doing whatever they want without any oversight. And it's been going on for decades without anybody making a dent in it. Right, the deep state or I just prefer the permanent bureaucracy because it is a boring, straightforward term. The permanent bureaucracy, which actually runs DC is almost uniformly left right. The whole concept of capture is not appreciated enough. Like once you get enough capture where you have to say a click on each picture that has a traffic light. Is that what you're talking about, is that the polls in it, the light's nodded. Does that count as the traffic exactly. I've got the bottom part of the Oh it says I'm a robot. Now I gotta do it again. Click on everything with a bicycle. Well, that's that barely looks like a tire. It could be something else.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Capture I mean if you get enough of your crowd into something, you can take it over.
Speaker 2: And we've seen it with the university system.
Speaker 1: Where if you get enough left wing Democrats and I mean the far left wing democrats, you've captured the institution. In that one, you only hire other left wingers, and two you'd be scared as somebody who didn't agree with them to ever raise your voice because it's going to damage your career.
Speaker 2: So that institution has been captured. Well that has happened with our federal government.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, that is precisely the aim of DEI. Diversity means more people who think like I do. Inclusion means more people who think like I do. If their color, if their skin is slightly darker than a tanned golfer. All the better if they can claim some sort of I'm queer, which can mean anything in the world you want, but they think like me, Yes see how inclusive I am. It's it is a technique of capture of conquest. I tell you, I find this really depressing that one of the most important departments in all of the federal government that is causing so many of the things that I hate is so one captured and two beyond you know, you can't really touch it. They're like the untouchables. And three nobody talks about it and writes about it. He thinks about it, so it's unlikely to change. I finds so rooting for Ms Dylan to kick ass in that job, and it'll it'll do some real good. And you know, the years time, I'm just afraid Trump's erraticness and wacky policies and statements is gonna derail his opportunity to do really, really.
Speaker 2: Good stuff too soon.
Speaker 1: But you know, asking for a disciplined Trump at this point in his life and in ours, frankly is kind of silly. He's almost eighty so and another example not to depress you, or anything. But I thought this was instructive. As Chuck Schume is bellowing about the Republicans want to slap food out of the mouths of babes and enriched they are billionaires and million.
Speaker 2: And the rest of it.
Speaker 1: The rhetoric around the budget as we try to avoid a government shut down or shut it down who cares? Anyway, here's some writing by who is this? Oh, it's the editorial editorial board of the Wall Street Journal. But welcome to the ar king details of the budget baseline their premises. We hope Republicans aren't boxed into bad policy by some of the realities of the budgeting process. The main goal Republicans in the current Congress is to extend the twenty seventeen tax reform provisions that expire at the end of this year. Is written that is, they want to continue with current policy, which seems simple enough. But this is Congress which instead lives by the current law that's quote baseline over a ten year period. I'll explain, and if you don't quite get it, that's part of the point. Because some of those twenty seven twenty seventeen tax provisions expire within the congressional budget office is ten year window. The extension of current policy to fill to get to the end of that ten year window is considered a budget busting tax cut, even though it would merely prevent a four and a half trillion dollar tax increase. This is Republicans scrambling to find offsetting tax increases or spending cuts to quote unquote pay for an alleged tax cut that doesn't cut taxes. It's like your fiscal year in the calendar year, don't overlap or something, and so you've got to pretend that well, in October November, we need to cut things down to the bone, when in truth, all you have to do is keep doing what you're doing. But the way the system is set up so you don't, you have to pretend like the higher tax keep think the current laws a tax increase, so.
Speaker 2: Higher taxes would kick in.
Speaker 1: And if you try to stop the higher taxes from kick in kicking in, that's seen as a tax cut, even though it would be just holding them steady.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, so.
Speaker 1: So the Republicans have to jump through all sorts of hoops and budget trickery and the rest of it to keep the current policy, because on paper, it looks.
Speaker 2: Like a huge change in policy.
Speaker 1: Wow, and you're gonna have Chuck Schumer yelling at people that we're trying to you know, I don't know, slap the insulin out of the hands of the.
Speaker 2: Old or something. Ive.
Speaker 1: I go around to old folks homes, I slap the insulin out of their hands, and then I give it to Billy Airs.
Speaker 2: I don't need any insulin take it anyway. The pine is to deny it to the old.
Speaker 1: Well, if there wasn't if there was any point to this segment, and that's probably enough on a Friday of that. It's this is also convoluted and complicated. Very few people understand. Certainly people chanting in, cheering at political rallies don't know any of this is happening. Don't get me started on how medicare really works, right, it's dizzying.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: If there's a takeaway from all of this, it would be shrink government, federal government as much as possible, and get government as local as you can conceive it to be, because that's the only way the voters have actual control over it and there's any accountability.
Speaker 2: Man, we like our gambling, we sure do.
Speaker 1: And March Madness is one of the biggest gambling periods of the entire and the tournament brackets come out on Sunday. A little some stats on that that are really interesting. Among all the things on the way, stay here, arm Strong and Getty.
Speaker 5: Sunday isn't here yet, but there are some big conference championships this weekend. Use winners will automatically punch a tickets in the Big Dance, and some teams are already shoe ins. We're going to get right into it first. On the men's side, Duke, Houston, Auburn, and Florida are the top ranked teams. The four top ranked teams.
Speaker 1: They will make. Yeah, anytime Duke is one of the top ranked teams, it's a bad it's a bad time to be alive. But March Madness, Hey, Duke is them on display. Folks really gets rolling on Sunday when the brackets come out. And if you're into sports, you know this. If you're not into sports, it's about as big a deal as anything happens. I mean, it's not as big as the Super Bowl, but it's probably well, it is second betting wise, and uh and people love it. This year, they're expecting three point one billion dollars to be bet legally on just March madness. But the total amount that is going to be bet in the country is fifteen point five billion. So even with all the legal betting that exists everywhere three billion, there's another twelve and a half billion that are going to be bet illegally.
Speaker 2: I'm using my finger quotes.
Speaker 1: I mean, who's I mean, there's some real it talks in this article about, you know, for some real offshore serious betting that is not but the stuff you're doing at the office where everybody puts in five bucks that adds up to a ton of money. But is anybody really worried about cracking down on that?
Speaker 2: No, they are.
Speaker 1: I want to see Trump crackdown on it. I'd like to see ice. There's somebody coming to offices and you know, cuff people who are handing out brackets.
Speaker 2: It's disgusting.
Speaker 1: Prior to twenty eighteen, you could only bet on sports in Vegas, But since the courts decided that the states should be able to decide, there are forty states that allow legal gambling, and it has exploded legally from where it was before. Twenty three million more Americans betting on the tournament this year than two years ago, for instance, that's a lot more. I feel exactly the same. By the way, for the bracket, you fill out your bracket, your odds of getting the bracket completely correct, getting all sixty three games right, one in nine point two. Quintillion whatever that is, that's a word I say regularly. I didn't even know it was a real word. Quintillion, five trillion, No, five hundred trillion. I don't even know what a thousand trillion would be. Uh, I don't know. I'd lose track at that point. It's not very likely you're gonna get the whole record right to summarize, But I.
Speaker 2: Have the same attitude on the whole gambling things I had on the drug thing. You know, feel free, is it?
Speaker 1: But if you end up in a bad situation, don't be taking my money because you don't have any money. When you in year sixty and you ain't got no money and you need food or housing or whatever. And I find out when you in your twenties you used to bet heavily on sports. I don't want you to get in in my money, see is the deal?
Speaker 2: So yeah, right?
Speaker 1: And it's their own But there's no mechanism for that. Oh here's the funny thing. I was listening to NPR. They presented it as, so, is this benefiting states? And then they went through how much the legalized gambling is shoring up the coffers of state governments and whether.
Speaker 2: It is or not, and so do you think it was a good idea?
Speaker 1: It was all run through the lens of does this make your state government richer or not? Nobody bringing up the idea at all of maybe people adults ought to be able to make their own decisions on this, and it shouldn't be illegal to decide to sad on a sport.
Speaker 2: That was they didn't even bring that up. Is only does it benefit the state government or not?
Speaker 1: As to whether or not it was a good idea to rule this way, and that an interesting way to look at the world. Yeah, I think that's really illuminating. Yeah about it that sort of people? Yeah, it is so when they decided no, no, no, states can decide whether or not they want to have gambling. If you're a lefty, looked at through it through the lens of is this going to give more money to the government or not not? More personal freedom fascinating right. Coming up next hour, the fight to clean up America's disease universities, how's the immigration crackdown going?
Speaker 2: And is progressivism actually a mental disorder?
Speaker 1: I will present a case to you, and you the jury, are their juries and the sort of thing you the jury will decide.
Speaker 2: We need to have.
Speaker 1: I wonder if the social credit score like they got in China, maybe someday we can have that in the United States. So you get to be aged sixteen, you ain't got no money, but we can look at your social credit score of how much you gambled in your life, were spent on cigarettes, or went on fancy vacations you couldn't afford. I realize that the libertarian and me does not like anybody keeping track of this sort of thing, but I'd like to know it as a tax payer before you get all my money, right exactly? Yeah, your responsibility score, call it that. No, Sorry, you were wildly irresponsible. You're not the other people's problem anymore.
Speaker 2: Good one, Sary, Armstrong and Getty