Speaker 1: This week on a Happy Half Hour.
Speaker 2: There's probably nobody that I've played with in my career that would be better suited for daddy daycare than Luke.
Speaker 3: One of your theories is that dudes need quest. One of my quests in life is to find something that Luke Keigley stinks at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that that might be a long quest. What's the cow?
Speaker 1: It's time for the Happy Half Hour, presented by Southern Star, an official bourbon of the Carolina Panthers. Here are your hosts, Darren Gant and Cassidy Hill.
Speaker 3: Hello, friends, and welcome to a very special episode of the Happy Half Hour. Normally Cassidy Hill would be sitting here in the other chair, but she's a mobile on special assignment covering the senior ball for Panthers dot Com. So I went to the bullpen, got a very special guest for the Happy Half Hour and listen, our friends. The Happy Half Hours, always presented by a Southern Star, an official bourbon partner of the Carolina Panthers, celebrate the spirit of the Carolinas. You can celebrate it double this week because this week's very special co host is none other than America's long snapper, The longest tenured Carolina Panther, or the man who holds the record for games played, which he breaks every single week.
Speaker 2: Jay J.
Speaker 3: Janssen, how are you, sir?
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me. It's the off season, so I'm a little upset that we're not sipping on bourbon while doing the podcast. That'd really make for some fun.
Speaker 3: We actually are, as far as the listeners know.
Speaker 2: That's fair enough.
Speaker 3: So it's a great product and it's a you know, I'm hoping we can have a little fun here with this conversation because, as you mentioned, it is off season and we get in these you know, kind of formatted roles. Okay, we know on Wednesday this week during the regular season, we're doing this this this during the regular season. I like to kind of take it in different So naturally you're here, you are. You are one of my favorite people in this building to talk to in any format, but especially now. I mean it's off season. You know, we'll get to free agency and all that other stuff at some point, but right now it's kind of that one weird time of the year where football people are sitting around not knowing what to do.
Speaker 2: Yes, so early on in my career, my wife would always say something like, you know, two or three weeks into the off season, she'd say, you know, you're starting to act a little bit bored. You need to find something to do. And I've learned now over the years and gone by. Our season, you know, ends on a Sunday afternoon, we come back, we do an extra interview with with coaches in front office on Monday, and by Tuesday morning at ten am, I was bored. Like I just knew I was gonna be bored eventually. I needed something to do. I'd need a routine to look forward to. So I just basically said, you know, whatever that was, you know, January third or whatever, you know, January seventh, every the season, at whatever that date was, I just said, I'm immediately now bored, and I need to find some stuff to sink my teeth into. I'm not gonna wait two or three, two or three weeks to then decide that, you know, I'm you know, I'm actually bored. So this is fun for me. Normally, on a you know, normally on a Tuesday or I guess we're recording this on a Wednesday. Normally, on a Wednesday, at noon, we're out on the practice field, mm hmm. You know what, now that it's wintertime, I don't mind being out here because there was a few col practices down the stretch in the regular season.
Speaker 3: No doubt, have you ever considered like woodworking or no any kind of hand crafts that you might be able to busy yourself with.
Speaker 2: No, so, so I do. I do think men need hobbies. I do think men need some activities. So my off season activities have been primarily constructed into two things. It's been buying minor league hockey teams m with with some partners that we've been working with now for coming up on two years, and also taking a plethora of baseball swings off of our We have this little uh it's called like a personal pitcher or something along those lines, shoots golf balls out of a standing machine on a tripod at you know, forty five to fifty miles an hour from twenty to twenty five feet and I work on my swing. And I figured, if Andy Dalton can go play tennis and feeling can go play golf, I'll go hit a bunch of baseballs in my garage and that'll keep my hand eye coordination up for the offseason. At least while it's too cold to get outside and play golf or something like that.
Speaker 3: It at least keeps you ready for the next home run derby during time I'm ready.
Speaker 2: We do about a home run derby once every six years, and I'm the two time defending champ. Of course, that lasts over about a thirteen year span, so yeah, I'll stay ready. And of course, as everyone knows, Olsen and I coach baseball together, so part of the thing that I'm always trying to do is trying to understand, in all honesty, what they're feeling so I can coach it better. And I think there's a value in coaches and teachers doing the material while they're teaching it, because you start running into the problems that your athletes are are dealing with. You know, we often, you know, I've got a sixth grader or fourth grader or second grader, kindergartener right they're doing math homework. Well, that is so rudimentary to me. I can't feel why that's challenging to them. So you know, you end up looking at them like, why can't you figure this out? So I figured as often as I can, let me go humble myself take some swings off of a machine, try to get go and take some ground balls, you know, you know, throw to targets, and remind myself that any athletic venture is pretty challenging, especially if you don't do it often, especially if you haven't been, you know, like me trained in long snapping for twenty years. You realize kids are just picking it up or still young and growing in their bodies. There's a lot of challenge and skill, and so there's a humility and in taking a live at bat versus a twelve year old and maybe swinging missing a few times, you realize these games are pretty challenging, even at my age.
Speaker 3: Yeah, your life really is a sitcom. I told you this the other week. You said you were going away for the weekend with your wife. I said, who's keeping the kids. You're like, I may leave him with Luke or Greg And it was like, your life is a sitcom. You say these things just very casually, like it's a thing everybody does, except the people you drop your kids off with, or Luke Keigley and Gregil.
Speaker 2: That's right. There's probably nobody that I've played with in my career that is would be better suited for you know, daddy daycare than Luke. Of course, you know, you know, he's still he's still single. So we're working on we're working on all that. But between him and Greg, I mean, we we do a lot of things together, right We've got the you know, we've got the baseball team. They're doing the football thing. We we do a lot of our life kind of in the same orbits, and so our kids have sort of learned over the years that they're just kind of part of the family in various ways. And Greg brings kids home from sporting events and you know, Luke Luke might show up and cook pizzas on the nie as it's happened a few times. So everyone's kind of got their own little skills and orbits. And you know, to my kids, that's coach Greg and we call him Big Luke because my oldest son's named Luke. We call Luke Keigley Big Luke. And my daughter, who's in second grag calls him the man in the Jacket because the first time she really met him, he showed up at our house. It was a really rainy day and he had he had a big old jacket on, and my daughter called him the man in the jacket, and until this day he is still known as the man in the jacket in our house. So doubt they're just part of the family.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally normal. I've said I kind of hate Luke Keighley in some ways because A he's so polite and so gracious, and so he's well mannered, well mannered. He was raised well. His family should be proud they raised a good boy. But he does all this and he just kind of rolls out of the bed and he's perfect at whatever he does. When he started doing radio, he was like, I don't really know if I'm man good it is, and people who heard the first couple of games were like, oh, you're actually great at it, which kind of figures, which leads me to this question. You and Greg coach baseball together. Does Luke Keikley have a decent baseball swing?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I've never seen I've never seen Luke swing a bat. Yeah, but I have to I have to laugh though, because he's just an unbelievable person. There have been many games where he just showed up. He texted one of us during the week say Hey, are you playing baseball? Like, oh, yeah, we're at you know, ten and two, and he had just look up online where we're playing and show up at the field and just sit in the bleachers with the moms and the dads and cheer the kids on and get a pretzel and leave, leave after a couple hours. And he just part just in the group with everybody else. So I've never seen Luke swing a bat. I can only imagine he'd be fantastic at it, because to your point, I think he's just he's one of these incredibly gifted athletes. But I know he played a lot of lacrosse. I don't know if he played a lot of baseball growing up. So I'll have to I'll have to dig deep on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got friends who swim. And when Luke decided he was bored the other off season wanted to run a triathlon, all my friends over at the MAC were like, Yeah, he just comes in and he's hanging out in the locker room, Like, hey, guys, I'm Luke. Yeah, we know who you are, Luke, but he just does that. You have talked. One of your theories is that dudes need quest. One of my quests in life is to find something that Luke Keigley stinks at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that that might be a long quest. Right, we have these, you know, my wife and I say, you got your quests, You've got your side quests that might go along with it, and every once in a while a mini quest which might you know, take maybe take ten minutes or fifteen minutes. But in my opinion, men really really appreciate quests. That one might be one of the long ones, because I don't know that Luke's bad at a whole lot of other stuff. A word I heard not too long ago, let's call it six months ago that I really enjoyed was the word earnest. And Luke is an earnest person. He is kind, he is intentional. Anything that he does he set his mind too to be the very best at, and even if it's not super important to him, he takes it seriously because it's important to the people he's doing it with. You know, I would venture to guess the first time he ever walked into to do a radio game for the Panthers, he might not have known do I love it, But he knew that the people working with him and around him took it very seriously, so he wasn't going to be casual about it, and and you know so that I think that obviously suits him really well. It was fantastic for football. But it's again, there are people that believe how you do one thing is how you do everything, and I think he would certainly be a fitting example of that when it comes to taking things seriously.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one of your other roles, in addition to hockey owner, baseball coach, long snapper, America's long snapper, is you are part of Greg Olsen's support staff. You like to help Greg with statistical preparation, his analytics stuff for his broadcasting career. And this is what I noticed the other weekend. Greg's not calling games during the playoffs, says you may. I've heard some guy named Tom Brady instead. I don't know if that's your thing suit yourself. I think Greg's a lot better at it. But you've always helped Greg with this. You guys were just bored the other weekend and through it, weren't you.
Speaker 2: Well, this has been sort of evolving for years and years and years, and I've joked with many people the stuff that rolls off of Greg's tongue now on a broadcast or on a national show he and I would argue about six seven, eight years ago when we played together. He's he and I have always talked strategy and situations, and you know, I've learned a ton from him about offense and defense and all that stuff. So we're always kind of going back and forth. And this has kind of gone on for again, going all the way back to when we were both playing here in seventeen and eighteen nineteen. Why do we do this? He'd come up to me, Why do we do that? Why did the specialty? We have always exchanged information. And I don't know if you've heard, but Greg was a long snapper for so yeah, he knows just enough to be dangerous. I know nothing to be dangerous, but I played often of line in high school, so I have a little bit of understanding. So we kind of started from there and we just kind of keep growing and and so one of the things that that I've done is his broadcast career has continue to grow, is just kind of help continue to kind of grow with him in terms of preparation, research, thinking of new ways to explain concepts that you know, every year in the NFL there's tons of new concepts, ideas that might be strategy, it might be analytics, it might be a use of timeouts. There's it's constantly evolving. There's more and more information. And one of the things that I think is really kind of special is that he's willing to just keep growing and growing and growing. His parents were both teachers. I have a heart of a teacher. I really believe in his heart. And he's a coach and a teacher. So he goes on a national broadcast and he wants to teach football, and I love teaching football and I love learning football. So there's been a natural connection for the two of us, and that obviously there's still great games going on right now, and there's a lot of people. I think the people that really love Gregan on broadcasts are the ones that say, I'm going to tune in and I'm going to get a great broadcast, but I'm gonna walk away learning two or three things about football. And it might be a situation, it might be an arc release, you know, from the tight end. It might be did why did this play work? Versus man's own? And I just learn a little bit more? And I watched his broadcasts and did I learn a little bit more? And so yeah, certainly playoff games everyone's watching, and there were some great situations and and uh, and he went to work on trying to begin to at least explain one or two. So the fan walks away a little bit more knowledgeable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you guys, I could tell one of the things that kind of got under your crawl over the weekend was chasing two point conversions. And again I commit this from a anecdotal historical perspective, because I was sitting in a press box at Super Bowl thirty eight when John Fox, who wasn't necessarily an analytical type, started chasing them early and got stuck in that pattern with how did how did you guys get to the point or let me ask you like this, when did you realize that that was the wrong way to go about this immediately?
Speaker 2: But it's situational, so so in this particular case, I believe the score was it was fourteen six, and I think, yep, I'm trying to remember. It can't take a couple. It came a couple of times. And this is the Washington game, right, because something similar came up in the in the Chiefs bills. But so it was fourteen six, but it was in the second quarter. And you know, Greg is known very much as being the super aggressive analytics guy. And I think where he gets a lot of pushback from other analysts is or work. Maybe not pushback, but where he differentiates from a lot of analystss A lot of analysts are still trained in sort of this old quote unquote old school football mentality, and so he's viewed as aggressive. And where he and I have always tried to discuss these things is optimal does not mean aggressive. It's trying to make the right decision at the right time. And one of the things that coaches tend to do is they don't like certain numbers. They don't like being down too that feels after a touchdown, So the score goes from fourteen six to fourteen twelve, in their mind, they think to themselves, oh, I go for two here, because that's what we always do. What made that situation different was we were in the second quarter. And the way we describe early game situations is you're in a point accumulation phase of the game. The goal is how many points can I score? And what's the best way to score points? Is it a field goal, is it a touchdown, is it a two is it a one. I actually like going for two and going for two more often than most people. I think it's actually tends to be the right decision. But in that particular case, I believe and Greg made the same point. Dan Quinn only went for two because he was down two to make it a tie game, not because he thought this is the best time for me to go for two. That begins to pivot as you get later in the game where you're running out of possessions and you're hoping to turn that kicking a pat in the fourth quarter to go down one. Well, now you're still losing, and if the game ends and nobody, nobody else scores, you lost, whether you're down to or one. That's why teams go so and the I think I retweeted it was like an old account is called the analytics straw Man, and I tweeted, always go for two. You know, you know the quote is from analytics, always go for two. And the answer is no, it isn't. It's not always the right answer.
Speaker 3: If it was fifteen twelve, you wouldn't necessarily feel that same compulsion too.
Speaker 2: No, you wouldn't.
Speaker 3: Knowing you can't tie it, You probably just you know, if you're in that quote unquote traditional football mindset, you're probably just kicking taking the point.
Speaker 2: So like one of the things you saw this year with the new touchback, or with the new kickoff, or with the dynamic kickoff, is there was no real benefit to taking a kickoff a fifteen yard personal foul after a touchdown on the kickoff. Historically, that's what everybody did, right, I'll kick my I'll kick my pat and then I'll kick off from the fifty and try to pin you down inside the you know, inside the twenty and try to get some field position. With the way the rules set up, there wasn't really a big advantage. So everybody put the ball at the one this year and everybody went for two. But I think what you would have seen it, let's say the score had been fifteen twelve, is let's put the ball on the one and go for two. Whether they got it or not, that was the right decision in the point accumulation phase. But if the game is in the fourth quarter and it's fifteen twelve, the question is whether I get this game to two or one, I still need a field goal to win, and I don't get any benefits so which thing, which option is most likely to get me under three, and which case the pat would be most likely to get me under three, because I think this year the number was like ninety six percent. So as my wife often says, you've said too many numbers. You need to move on. But the idea is there is different phases of the game that require different things analytically, and the answer in analytics is not always go for it, and it's not always go for too, and it's not always throw. But teams tend to have historically aired on the quote conservative side when that hasn't maybe been optimal and the or in the case of Dan Quinn in Washington, maybe we saw the flip, which was it was aggressive but not necessarily optimal.
Speaker 3: Right. I can imagine your wife sending you to the grocery store to buy milk and you coming home with a two gallon jug of milk, not because you need two gallons of milk, but because it was the optimal price of That's right, Yes, I only needed a pint.
Speaker 2: That's right. There are there are well, I'll I have to say, there are some things that I'm very anetically analytically minded, and there are sometimes like it doesn't. It doesn't really matter football, baseball, sports. I'm trying to solve puzzles because there's a It's a little bit like I stopped playing Monopoly once I figuregured out how you're like, how the game's designed for you to really sort of win. The beauty of analytics is it's a little bit of market inefficiencies. So it's always changing, you know. I fell in love like a lot, like a lot of math nerds in college, I fell in love with the book Moneyball. Everyone goes, I've seen the movie now. I was like, you got to read the book, as people often say, and I fell in love with that. But if you remember from Moneyball, the goal was you're trying to find people to walk, right. That was the market inefficiency. It wasn't that walking was some sort of uniquely special thing. It was nobody paid for someone to walk, but that was causing winning at a higher rate than the market sort of anticipated. So we see this now all the time. In football. You got to pay the quarterbacks. The running backs shouldn't get paid any money, like you see all this, But eventually there's going to be a market inefficiency. And when that market inefficiency hits, you got to go to the other side of the equation. Right. We've seen this a little bit with running backs as that position has been devalued over the years relative to other positions. Well, now, market inefficiencies allow really good teams to sign Saquon Barkley for twelve million dollars a year, pair them with an excellent offensive line, and now all of a sudden, they've got a really good advantage on the rest of the because nobody's going to overpay. So if you're Saquon Barkley, go I'm gonna go to the best offensive line football Like there are these markets, sometimes market inefficiencies actually help the better teams that already exist, because if you're Saquon, I could make twelve million from the Eagles, I could make twelve million from Baltimore. I could make twelve million dollars in nil money. If I go back to Texas, I'm gonna go pick the exact location where I can thrive. And so Philly this year has kind of been able to capitalize on the fact that no one was really going to pay Saquon more than twelve million, so he gets to kind of pick where he wants to go. And that's a huge advantage for team that was well suited for a running back.
Speaker 3: And as it pertains to the Carolina Panthers, those market inefficiencies are named Damian Lewis, Rob Hunt, che Behubbard.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Look, let's look back at last year's draft, right, Jonathan Jonathan Brooks, the number one rated running back on the board, went forty eighth. All of a sudden, that doesn't seem quite so inefficient. When the number one running back in the in a draft class is drafted in the third pick. That's a very different equation. Right Like if you told me nobody was allowed to draft a d end until the fifth round, you'd see the fifth round with thirty eight d ns. Because that's the that's we know that position is valuable and at some point it gets so devalued that eventually it's a very good value. It's it's like a stock, it's like a business. Eventually things get pushed too far. So the beauty of analytics is at some point they flip, and are you willing to flip? You know, it's the old zig when the other zag, and that happens all the time during football. We saw it last week on the playoff. On the playoff games, the Tush Push only went six for twelve this week, right like that? Would you know? A year ago it felt virtually undefeated. But as more people are doing it, some people aren't quite as good at it right, and everyone's getting a lot more practice because I may only play Jalen Hurts one time, but if I play seven other teams that do it, I begin to learn how to stop it. And even Jalen HURTSI was stopped twice this week.
Speaker 3: Might have something to do with not having Jason Kelsey in the middle of it anymore, who was really good at that particular thing.
Speaker 2: You know. But you know, even Philly I think at one point, I think Greg had a game and we looked it up. I think they were still operating at like ninety five percent for the year. So Kelsey was uniquely good at it. Jalen Hurts is the perfect build, right. He's five foot, he's a little bit. He's certainly on the shorter side. Everyone's seen the squatting videos. He's incredibly strong, and they practice it and they are organized when they do it. I don't know that every team necessarily, you know, the difference between him and Allen doing it is six inches and weight. And you know, the Bills weren't pushing him in the same way that I mean, Philly's like, you know, four hands on the button. Let I mean we are pushing with everything we got. It's a little bit different. So but again, every team gets to practice it because every team's now gotten the playbook, and it makes it a little less valuable.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I also, I keep going into the wayback machine. Can you imagine if somebody had decided to start doing that with Ryan Khalil and Cam Newton?
Speaker 2: Oh, you know, Greg was on Greg was on Colin Cowhard yesterday and I was watching it and and he brought this up because the comparison is, you know, Cam and Josh are very similar athletes. And that's Greg brought up the story he had actually told Luke and I this last week when we were watching the games. Was on on our offense back when Cam was really rolling. In those types of situations, they would often call a play where they got under center, and it was something that was designed for the outside fourth and one. It may be it may be a toss, it might be a power, it might be counter but he Cam was under center, but It was more of a B gap, C gap, D gap run and if they left those gaps open, they would actually yell out. I think one year, I think the code word was Jackie after old you know Jackie Miles are old equipment manager, and Cam would get up to the line of scrimage yelled Jackie, Jackie, Jackie, and that was I'm gonna sneak it. Now there wasn't a push, but it was sort of a two play thing. If if they take away the inside, we're gonna run our play. And if they don't take away the inside, I'm just gonna do it on my own. Now we're seeing with the toush push, that's like the call to play. And so how many variations I'm sure my guess is in the Super Bowl Philly will have some sort of alternate off of it. We've seen them do it a couple times. Obviously, kan't see doesn't do it at all because the one time Patrick Mahomes snuck, I think his kneecap popped out. Yeah, so not everyone does it, but and would certainly be good. But you know the evanager having six foot five Cam Newton was you could run Q power, you could you could audible to a sneak. You can do a lot of different things.
Speaker 3: Uh, it's a lot easier when your quarterback six five, two sixty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think back then, I mean I think he was him and Ben Roethlisberger, other than Tom Brady, those were the three best quarterback sneakers for like it was like five years. They had. Tom had kind of a skill to it, but and then Ben and Cam were just bigger than everybody.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm. To circle back a little bit, you were talking a second ago about undervalued commodity. So I'll put you on the spot here, among current teammates or teammates from last season, who was the guy who was better at the thing than most people realize?
Speaker 2: Oh man, that's a great question. Well, certainly for the money, one of the most valuable players on our team was Mike Jack making a million dollars, traded a seventh round pick a player Michael Barrett. We traded for him, and you get a I think he was a seventeen game starter. He might have missed one in there, Uh, seventeen game starter and played really well opposite you know, JC. And that was very valuable because you think about what is a starting corner in the NFL worth It's probably worth ten, twelve, fifteen million, depending on your quality, you know, a variety of factors. So to be able to have someone that played to that level of you know, I'm probably not helping our front office in any sort of contract negotiations, but like to have someone to play at that level of a high quality starting corner for a million dollars was really really valuable to the team. I think lesser value. There's a value to that sixth offensive line. Now, a bunch of different guys played it this year, is mostly you know, Brady and Chandler, but there is value. And if you look around the league, power run teams, and I don't know, I don't know if we'd call her Sells a power run team or not, but certainly Tuba's running style seems more conducive to more of a power style. Having that sixth offensive lineman, maybe he's the tight end, maybe he's the full back, looks a lot like Baltimore and the Chargers, you know, the hardballs, Like they've got that three hundred pound defensive tackle who puts his hand on the ground and plays full back. Right guys three twenty he's wearing like forty four. Like it always looks kind of funny to me. I think those positions are valuable because that's probably worth three four five million dollars. And those guys are on rookie contracts and they tend to get overlooked, but that matters in the run game. It feels always a little strange same because he's he's fantastic and has been for a long time. But I always think Adam is Adam Thielen is kind of every year sort of over overlooked and undervalued for what he does. I mean the ability for him, both for Andy and Bryce this year, just throw a ball up to Adam, He's gonna go get that, Like there's a huge there's a huge blessing for a quarterback when you can throw the ball away from a defender and protect the team from a turnover and then your wide receiver goes and just catches that ball. That's a huge, valuable, very valuable thing. So those are just a couple of them. I know I'm missing out on guys.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean the guy I think about it in these terms is is Shaw Smith Waite. Because you can take a fifth round pick, sure and that guy becomes your nickel, and he was kind of growing into that role over the course of the year. If over the next three years he is your starting nickel for the cost of a fifth round pick, that's tremendous value.
Speaker 2: Well, and that is why the draft is such an interesting phenomenon every year. You you know, So what I was when I when I first got in the league was two thousand and eight. So in two thousand, after the twenty ten season, there was this whole lockout, And what happened with the lockout was money was going to be reshuffled around. And the number one story it was sort of pitched to the players coming out of lock at us, we can't have JaMarcus Russell making gobs of money and flame out. That's hurting the veterans in the league. And of course at that point, once you're in the league, everyone's a veteran. So it's basically forget the rookies who don't exist yet.
Speaker 3: They're not members of a unions and they're not right.
Speaker 2: So it's like, how do we get more money in the hands of veterans. So one of the number one thing that came out of all of that was the Ricky wage scale, and of course the juxtaposition of in two thousand and ten, Sam Braffers the number one overall pick for the Saint Louis Rams, he had a six year, seventy two million dollar contract, sixty million dollars guaranteed. That next year Cammed drafted by US number one five year deal it might have been it was four years, twenty two million. Then you had the fifth year option that so you had all this, So the difference in guarantee was sixty to twenty two. It was the only time in the NFL history where the money went down right and obviously went down from a guarantee standpoint by like by like sixty five seventy percent. The institution of the rookie wage scale is the number one reason why the draft matters, because you are going to find starters in the NFL draft, and when you do, you have three to four maybe five years of low paying highly competens are highly talented players. So let's say the nickel is worth six million dollars a starting nickel in the NFL on the open market, everyone's a free agents worth six million dollars. You're playing Shaw Smith, Wade seven hundred and fifty grand, and you do that for the next three years, you're getting eighteen million dollars worth of playing value and paying them two million bucks. And that's huge for the team. And that's why the draft matters so much. Obviously, being being really good at finding those players matter, but it's also why you see stuff like right now, I don't know that I heard anybody back in October, November, December saying, Oh, there's just a ton of quarterbacks in this draft. I guarantee you there's going to be two or three likely draft in the first ten picks, because if you're right, you're getting a fifty million dollar value for five, six, seven, eight million dollars and that's a huge advantage. And that same value lasts all the way through the draft. Obviously, it gets harder as you go down finding those guys, and that's where you need a great scouting department to You call them diamonds in the rough. But they're overlooked for some reason, right, But what is that reason? And in Shaw's particular case, the big reports kind of coming out of Mobile was maybe he's under size, but man, he's a dog, he's tough, he's competitive, and I think that plays in the NFL, if you can, if you can fight through some of those physical limitations, this is a really competitive league and you need really competitive people to be successful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I look at the guy he replaced, Troy Hill, and Troy Hill was that old head vat who who had done this particular job for a decade and was pretty good at it. But then when you see I mean, and I think it made sense in the spot this team was in last season. If you think this guy over here can transition into somebody who can be a three year player for you down the line, you do that at that.
Speaker 2: Point absolutely, And guys play in two roles. It's really hard in the NFL to give young players positions over veterans because there's no you can't fool a locker room. You just can't do it. So guys have to earn their spots. But once guys do that, it makes a lot. The locker room goes Okay, I get it, they are at about the same level, or maybe the veterans been overtaken, and now this is this is how I got in the league. This is how someone else is going to get in the league. So there's always a little bit of that, but you have every front office has to be mindful of if you just start giving away positions well drafted. You know Sean the fifth round, he's the starter. The rest of the locker room goes, are you are you trying to win or are you just trying to play the rookies? And so young guys have to earn it. The good part is once they earn it, they have the respect of the locker room, which is really what matters is did you earn this spot? Are you helping us win? That's all the locker room really cares about, is are you helping cause winning for this team? And Sean did a really good job this year, and he was one of a lot of draft picks that contributed a lot throughout the whole season, no doubt.
Speaker 3: And it's going to be interesting look at it. And again, Cassidy's down at mobile. Stay tuned at Panthers dot com for all the latest from down there. Draft is going to be a big topic of conversation. Panthers sitting here with nine total picks, eight in the first five rounds, so again, their position to acquire those kind of value guys, I mean, Dan and Brandt have shown in their one draft, they're willing to move that board around. So while they're sitting there at eighth overall and you know, nine total picks, eight in the first five rounds, I don't necessarily anticipate that's going to be what they finish with, just because that's what they've shown us in their one set of data points.
Speaker 2: Every front office has their own style, right, and if you if you named a team, I could probably tell you this is generally their style. Doesn't mean you won't deviate. But I don't know that Cincinnati has traded many picks in like thirty years, like they just don't do it. Their styles. We're going to stay in our spot and we're going to draft New Orleans. They are never going to trade back. They are always going to trade up. Howie Roseman kind of works the board, but on draft night, Howie Roseman's going to trade up because he's going to go find his guy. He might be right, he's gonna he's going to identify. So everyone's got their style, right. I think one draft is too soon to just say this is the Panther style. But what I what I would imagine is going on is you've got highly competent scouting skill. You know, Dan obviously scout for probably about a decade, obviously played a really really long time, which you know Olsen says all the time, like, don't discredit playing career as like on the job training. It may not be like he's you play seven years in the NFL. You're watching a lot of tape and you're evaluating other players. So you're going so, so Dan may have been a scout for ten, twelve years, whatever is, you might as well just go ahead and call it twenty, right, So there's a lot of scouting experience. You also have lots of people in the front office that are comfortable working other sides of being in the front office, considering trades, negotiations, and the more of those people that you trust in the building, you can do and be more dynamic during the draft. If your GM is picking the players and trading up and trading down and negotiation and he's the only one doing it, it becomes too much. If you have lots of people that have jobs and roles and you're working well together and you've planned stuff out, you can be a little bit more fluid in the draft. And I think that was a value I think the biggest going back to last year. Obviously who you draft matters, but beyond who we drafted, the ability to sit at thirty nine, collect a future second round pick, and move back and then use some of that to go back was one of the bigger moments of the draft for the Panthers because you're sort of creating something out of nothing, which now we get to reap the benefits of. I think that's always the tough part. When you're a fan. You're like, oh, thirty or thirty nine, like we're gonna got a good player here, and then oh, the Panthers traded somebody you know, you know, they traded the pick, and it's like, oh, I wanted a player there. But all of a sudden, now we're sitting here, you know, two months before the draft, going huh, I'm glad we got that extra second round er. So there is a little value in being patient, and that's where you have to trust does the front office. You know, you might be sitting there at thirty nine and they don't have any players they like for that value, but they got a trade and that's a benefit to the team.
Speaker 3: So one of the things I think's helpful is having people with different perspectives. Because Dan morgan looking for dogs, he was a players. He knows what tough and smart's like. When John Fox walked in and said, I'm going to keep the guys who were tough and smart. The ones who aren't I'm getting rid of, Dan was one of the guys who stayed and was part of a Super Bowl team. Brent Tillis comes at it from a completely different perspective, and he's more analytical. He looks at a lot of things like a math problem. But one of the interesting things to me watching them go through that draft process last year was the chemistry between the two of them because they think differently what they're aligned and that sounds easy to pull off, but it's really not. And things as simple as knowing each other's inside jokes and being able to finish the sentences for different guys. I mean, for a couple of dudes who met each other on a zoom call in January last year, they worked together pretty well, to the extent that Brant knew it would be funny and Dan wouldn't notice if he turned around and was wearing a fifty five jersey in the draft room.
Speaker 2: As someone who works very closely on a daily basis with a dog in Olsen. I identify very much with Brant, and I'm sure Dan and Greg probably would be very similar.
Speaker 3: And this seems fair.
Speaker 2: I think what everything you just described is dead on, and where you get value is when you have people that are interested in learning and collaborating. I've learned so much from Greg. Greg has learned a lot from me to the point now where we sort of talk alike when it comes to like football and how we see things. I think having a front office where you've there's a respect for each other's style, there's a respect for each other's expertise, but there's a melding together. It's not you or me, it's not dogs or analytics, it's how do we put this together for the betterment of the team. And I've one of the cool things that I've that I have seen is I've never really heard anyone describe them separate. It's always Dan and Brandt, Dan and Brant. So while probably on an ORG chart, one is over the other, I'd imagine I don't know what our ORG chart is. I imagine as general manager and president football Operations, Dan's in charge, but I've never seen Dan go out of his way to make Brandt sound like he's beneath him, right, And I've never and I've never heard Brandt sort of say, well, this is what I did and not and what coach Canalis has said about those guys, what Dave Temper has said about those guys. It helps when everyone feels like, hey, I'm value whether the one, whether you're one and I'm two or I'm one and year two. If we're working together and people feel valued, that stuff really matters. And one of the one of the things that I got asked a ton right after the season was stability, right that was a common theme kind of especially in the locker room right after the game or yeah, after the game, on exit interviews after Atlanta, and and the number one thing that I think benefits the Panthers in the long haul is going into twenty twenty five, we have a coach, a quarterback, a GM all on the same timeline. There's success. No one's in a rush or not wanting success right away, and that probably hasn't existed all if we're really being honest, all the way back to about twenty sixteen, because we had Cam injuries we had ownership change, we had coaches. You know, Cam got hurt again, we had a coach fired, a GM fire. There was a lot of stuff going on. Quarterbacks didn't work out. There was a lot of stuff going on where there was different people on different timelines and quarterback needs to win this year, but the team isn't ready to win yet, so then the quarterback. We could go any one of these and the timeline is off. There is such tremendous value in everybody being on the same page, the same timeline and growing together. So my guess is, instead of me fighting you, it's how do we take the next step together? How do we take the next step together, versus Hey, I got to win this year and the guy you're working with is like, let's build for the future. Like that's I mean, that's really tough. And that's where I think you see a lot of issues around the league and no one's immune from it. We look at Kansas City and Philly and go, oh, they've got it all put together. Well, seven years ago Philly looked in disarray. Yeah, you know, Kansas City ten years ago looked We're seeing the result of some of these sort of intentional steps and that's what everyone's trying to recreate in their own building with their own style.
Speaker 3: Speaking of intentional steps, we long ago across the thirty minute mark of the Happy Half Hour, So I would like to again thank our friends at Southern Star, an official bourbon partner of the Carolina Panthers, celebrate the spirit of the Carolinas and the second half hour of the Happy Half Hour this week, which I knew was gonna happen when I invited you into this studio, JJ Jansen, So wanted to ask you a couple of quick things before we get out of here, because we do each have other things to do today, believe it or not, And I just a little peak behind the curtain. JJ and I do this weekly around the coffee machine. Yes, this is a normal type of thing. And the conversation starts when when he came into our dojo, I was like, I've got one question I want to ask JJ, and then we're going to see where it goes. So we did that and this is the place we ended up. But wanted to ask you a couple of things, not necessarily rapid fire, but just wanted to get your thoughts on him. You mentioned earlier in the show, you are a part owner of a couple of hockey teams, now two hockey teams.
Speaker 2: Three hockey teams hockey and a baseball team.
Speaker 3: Okay three, which are the three hockey teams Charlotte Checkers.
Speaker 2: Charlotte Checkers is our AHL team. And then we own two EHL teams, the Savannah Ghost Pirates. They are the EHL team also for the Florida Anthers. So double A Hockey ECHL, Savannah Ghost Pirates, AHL, Triple A Hockey Charlotte Checkers both feed into the Florida Panthers. We won the Stanley Cup last year. And now the third team is an expansion franchise which only recently existed. I almost wore my sweatshirt today and I wish I had now the Greensboro Gargoyles, And so that will be an EHL team. We will be affiliated. We don't yet know who that affiliation will be. With affiliation in hockey matters for a variety of reasons, but obviously players coaches. It's minor league hockey, much like baseball. We're a little bit different in the football world. Our minor league guy, so to speak, are practice squad. They're here with US. But in the hockey world, much like the baseball world, so much of that sport is geared around playing that those guys are moving up and down to stay ready for the big club.
Speaker 3: Okay, So, as a hockey owner, who is JJ Jansen's favorite hockey player of all time?
Speaker 2: Growing up? I was a Phoenix Coyotes fan, so I loved Keith Kachuk and Jeremy ronick I, you know, obviously everyone. You be hard pressed not to, uh, say, Wayne Gretzky and one of the other ones. Because my dad was from Philadelphia, so I always really liked Eric Lindross. But as you can tell, there's not a ton of current players. So I'm kind of getting caught at the speed on NHL hockey.
Speaker 3: Right, See those are yeah, because I mean I kind of half expected you to fake that and say, oh, Wayne Gretzky of course growing up, Yeah, but I didn't. That's an actual hockey answer. You're a person who has watched hockey before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like hockey a lot. It's probably I've always thought this, it's probably the best in persons sport to go watch the speed. Uh it's got a good flow, right, you get five six minutes of just NonStop action followed by about two minutes just sort of you know, obviously in the NHL, I don't really think that there's TV timeouts, but there's about a two minus where can kind of catch your breath, go to the bathroom before the next face off. Our kids are falling in love with Checkers games. We often the kids always ask can we go sit on the glass? So I try to pull some I pull some strings. You know a guy, I know, I know a guy. But everyone's very kind there. There's really I'd encourage anyone that's listening. Certainly I'll put in my plug for the Checkers to go to a game, go to a bunch of games, because there's not a bad seat in the house for any for anyone that's been there, been there recently. My kids have a blast. It's really a great environment. And I just think hockey in person is probably the best thing to watch it. It feels fast paced, but there, I mean, the game's out over quickly like it's it's fast pace, and you get you get twenty minutes to catch your breath, and the players need a break, and so do the fans because you're you have to be locked in otherwise you might miss them.
Speaker 3: You got young kids, uh, feel free to steal this move. Once upon a time at a checker's game, I took my kids and they're two years apart, so I think they were probably like in the six eight, nine, seven range at this point. But my son got bored and he was ready to split sure, and I said, you know, his sister wanted to hang around. She was digging it and she was like, well, he just shut up, and I finally told him, I said, listen, at the end of the third quarter, we can go okay, And that satisfied him because he was getting out early.
Speaker 2: And that's right.
Speaker 3: His sister got to see the entire game. So feel free to use that move.
Speaker 2: I will, unfortunately, already coached them up on the ad. We did a fifteen minute intermission lesson on icing and the variety of rules around fighting, which I'm still learning. Ryan Bellrose and Thomas Barbo both hockey guys, both from the from the Northeast Canada. They came to a game and I picked their brain for a while, like all right, help me understand Like what Sometimes they will drill drill a guy in the back with a cross stick and no one calls anything, and sometimes it's like a minor and sometimes it's a major, and sometimes it leads to a brawl and it's like, I don't know what is happening. And one of the guys said, think of it like football, Like sometimes they miss calls, like that thing that you saw someone didn't see. It's like, okay, well that makes a little bit more sense, but you're still there's still a lot of of the smaller details that I'm learning along the way. But it's a great game.
Speaker 3: Yep. All right.
Speaker 2: Your baseball team the gaston Ghost Peppers. Pe people know it historically as the Honey Hunters. This past season, we when we bought the team, wanted to go through a full rebrand, so for the full season we did a we were just the Gastonia Baseball Club and we had a bunch of these what if nights. So there was a bunch of random I say random that they're all were nods to Gastonian, the surrounding areas, the Arni acts. My daughter loved the Galactic dynos. There were fun names, logos we did. We sold a bunch of merchandise. I liked the Ghost Peppers. I thought the colors were cool as a it's a bright red, it's this like neon green black. I thought this will really look sharp, and but ultimately we left it up to a fan vote, so the people of Gastonia, the fans. All these names were submitted, people bought gear the whole bit, and the Ghost Peppers was the one that was selected, and I was, certainly I was. It's like whenever you're when your candidate wins and you're you're particularly excited in part because like who I voted for.
Speaker 3: When you met that makes me smarter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it almost feel like you're voting like you're it's like you guessed how many jelly beans were in the jar, even though you're just casting a vote. But Atlantic League Baseball, like I for anyone that hasn't seen it, I would equate it to like double a triple A ball. A lot of these guys are fantastic ballplayers, but maybe they're twenty seven years old and a team doesn't want to pay them to be in a affilly. There's much like any other baseball football, there's rules on minimum payments. Right, So if you've been in the big leagues for a little bit in and you're back in Double A, you still have a minimum salary that may be well in excess of what their standard Double A budget might be. So some of those guys end up in independent ball, which is what the Atlantic League is. I believe we have ten teams, and when you're in independent ball, there's still scouts. I mean, we had a Dodger scout as scouts. Many of the games I went to. Our general manager was at the same scouting events that all those teams send guys to. And we had two or three guys this year that were signed off of our roster to an affiliated team and ultimately made the big leagues. So this is really good baseball. It's just they're in they're not maybe an eighteen year old, or their minimum salaries have gone so high that teams are less likely to take a shot until you prove, like, oh, that guy is throwing ninety seven and he is getting everyone out, all right, We're willing to pay him because we've now we've seen it with our own two eyes, So it's good ball, okay.
Speaker 3: Two Gastonia Ghost Peppers related questions Number one, uh J J. Jansen's favorite spotting Gastonia.
Speaker 2: Is the ballpark I haven't gone on to a whole other a lot of places over there yet.
Speaker 3: Okay, the correct answer is Tony's ice Cream in Gastonia. Tony's ice Creamny's ice Cream Gastonia. It's an old grill, hot dogs, Hamburgers, but they make all their own ice cream right in a factory right behind the place. Oh, I'm it's super close to Sim's Legion Park over in Gastonia.
Speaker 2: I'm in. I have we talked about this?
Speaker 3: We have not talked about that.
Speaker 2: Okay. Ice cream.
Speaker 3: Tony's ice Cream is my number one recommendation, and along with Gastonia Ghost Peppers. Second half of the season, some people started calling Bryce Young the Carolina Reaper. Yeah, is that a good nickname or bad nickname for Bryce Young?
Speaker 2: And if so, why fantastic? So I started so when we did car Talk with him, right before we posted it, I think I took a picture of a like I got like a Google search Carolina Reaper, and I just posted it. And the best part was the people is like one of those if you know, you know, a bunch of people are like, oh my gosh, I know who's going to be on car Talk. And one of the beat writers, Mike Kay in the locker room the next day said that was an ugly looking ghost. Pepper, I said, you've missed it like that. That is the Carolina Reaper. I think it's a great nickname. Look, we've where we have where we have been as an organization. You were two and fifteen last year, right, so when as we were going through the season and we beat teams, coaches got fired. I mean that was going on, that was a real thing. But what makes what makes the nickname, in my opinion, awesome. Obviously you've it's it's spicy. I mean, it's it'll kill you, right, which is fantastic. But Bryce has this personality, this this smirk when he's really feeling himself. In the second half the season, you could see the confidence right right after I've taken a little bit of credit for this, after kart Talk, all of a sudden, the visor from college came back. So we're helping, we're helping build some good vibes around here. And there's something really good about something so small and unsuspecting killing you. I think it is a perfect nickname for Bryce, and he obviously played great in the second half of the season, but there's just this Bryce shouldn't come as a surprise. He's a Heisman Trophy winners, number one overall pick. But because we struggled last year and he took a lot of he took a lot of the criticism for it, and we didn't get off to a great start either. And now all of a sudden, we went four or five games there we played well and one defensive coordinators were getting fire, quarterbacks were getting benched, like and that that's a fun spot to be in. It's all part of the process to getting you to winning the division and getting the playoffs. And and look, if you're if you're winning a bunch of games down the stretch to the point where teams are firing their coach like in some kind of weird, ominous way, that's a good thing. Like, that's that's kind of what you're gunning for. You're trying to get rid of people.
Speaker 3: All right, you're in the locker room, you're in the meetings, you're on the plane, in all the places. Have you ever heard Bryce Young tell a joke or say a funny thing?
Speaker 2: Yes, cart Talk was one of the funniest things that I've heard him say. He's got a really dry sense of humor. He likes to build jokes over time. He's not like this, I'm gonna stand and hold court and be loud. Cam did that, Greg did that. Khalil would be that way. Like he's a little bit again, he's quiet, it's a little more cunning, it's a little smug, there's a there's just some layers. It's a slow burn. But he sets you up and then all of a sudden you got hit and you're like, whoa where did that come from? And it's I mean to me, it's really really funny. And again I saw this with Cam Cam's first year with the team, like he wasn't he wasn't himself. He would but you didn't know. You're just like he feels uncomfortable. It takes a couple of years for your personality to really come out. Because again, all of a sudden, you hand bryce the keys to the car. He's twenty one years old. We don't play well early, and then you're expecting. I'm sure in his mind it's like, what am I supposed to say to the thirty seven year old long snapper? What am I supposed to say to the thirty two year old wide receiver? Whatever you were back then, which was you know, fourteen months ago whatever. It was, like, how am I supposed to lead then? And you need a little success and you need to be able to build relationships, and that happened. That takes time. Like no people can say, oh, OTA's you know that's gonna help us. The nine weeks are good, not so much for the football, but just like beginning to get to know people, what makes people tick, and you gotta build relationships and usually you got to go through hard times in order for those relationships to really kind of dig deep. So we've done a little bit of that. We've come back out the other side.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't want to go and crown us any anything, but but you feel like the trajectory is one that something we can kind of just keep on building into twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: Things are good. Things are good. This did not disappoint. I walked in here with zero expectations in one question and here we are almost one hour later. Thanks very much to America's long snapper, the host of Kart Talk and all the content here at Panthers dot com, JJ Janssen. We appreciate it. We'll see y'all next week on the happy half hour and I don't know how we're gonna top this.
Speaker 2: Se y'all, thank you,