Speaker 1: Hello, Hello.
Speaker 2: We are so excited that we finally got to make this official announcement. Episode one of our new film podcasts, Dear Movies, I Love You has arrived.
Speaker 3: That's right, and now you're about to listen to an advanced screening of their premiere episode.
Speaker 2: Whether you're a full on film buff or just in it for the popcorn, this is the movie podcast for you.
Speaker 3: Hosts Millie de Cherico and Casey O'Brien cover everything in the world of film, from the good and the bad to the ugly.
Speaker 2: So grab your bucket of soda, sit back, and enjoy the very first episode of Exactly Right's newest member of the family, Dear Movies, I Love You.
Speaker 3: And don't forget. At the end of this episode, head over to their feed Dear Movies, I Love You in your podcast app and check out the next episode like a double feature.
Speaker 2: Hey, and while you're there, don't forget to follow, rate and review. It really helps.
Speaker 3: YOUPKA movie lovers.
Speaker 1: Good bye, bye.
Speaker 4: Hello, Casey O'Brien, Hi Millie to Jericho. How are you? Oh great?
Speaker 5: I mean you know what we're doing right now?
Speaker 6: Yeah, we are doing a new podcast, you and I both of us making a movie podcast together. It's thrilling, it's terrifying, and it's liberating all at once.
Speaker 4: That's right. Yeah, this is our very first episode and we're really excited because we've got a lot of stuff to cover. First off, we're gonna kick off the show with something we're calling film Diary, and I was wondering, Casey, can you tell them what it is?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I can do that. This is our the movies we've watched, like in the last week, and we're gonna be discussing the movies we have most recently watched. Now, these are not necessarily recommendations. This is just like our extracurriculars. These are our studies as film enthusiasts. You know, we're trying to like mine through all of film, of all of time. You know, both of us were both students of film. So these aren't necessarily recommendations. Some of these might suck, frankly.
Speaker 4: A lot of them will probably a lot of them.
Speaker 6: Well, yes, you got to break a lot of eggs, kiss a lot of frogs.
Speaker 4: Also, we're going to talk about drinking in the movies, so, you know, movies that feature complete drunks or people that are trying to get off the stuff.
Speaker 5: Whatever it is, we're going to be talking about it.
Speaker 4: But we're also going to really like hammer into one movie in particular, and that is twenty eighteen's US Star is Born featuring Lady Gaga Bradley Cooper, and we might even talk a little bit about Bradley Cooper as a director as well.
Speaker 6: And today we have the wonderful comedian in Chile with Sharp. She's on to talk about her area of expertise, which was important to both of us when you say, Millie.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, we had a very emotional conversation with Chilea. How about a topic that is you know, near and dear to all of our hearts, which is the Magic Mike franchise.
Speaker 6: Oh so fabulous. Much more to come on, Dear Movies, I love.
Speaker 7: You, I love you, and I've got to know you love me to check the box.
Speaker 4: Welcome everyone to theor Movies I Love you. This is a podcast for those who are in a romantic relationship with film.
Speaker 6: That's right, those who are down bad for film, those who have a crush on film, those are using movies as a way to fill your sexual and amorous holes into your life. I don't know if that's the right way of expressing that. But it's for those who sincerely, sincerely love film and care about it very deeply.
Speaker 4: That's right. I am one of your hosts, Milia to Cherco. I used to to a film podcast. Yep, it was called I Saw What You Did. It was on this very network. It's probably on the feed that you're listening to right now.
Speaker 6: This is the same feed. It's the same channel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can go back and listen to all two hundred something episodes of it if you want to. But I did that podcast with my co host Daniel Henderson, who is one of my dearest friends. And Casey, you were a part of that podcast too. You were actually the producer of that podcast, right.
Speaker 6: That's right. I produced that wonderful podcast. And this is sort of, you know, a phoenix rising out of the ashes of I Saw What you did. And I'm just so thrilled and thankful that you wanted to have me be a part of this show Milely in this capacity.
Speaker 4: That's right. I mean, you know, it's not unlike a star is born, if you think about it.
Speaker 5: I did find you in.
Speaker 4: A total dump yeap plucked you out of obscurity and put you on. That's right. But anyway, the thing about doing a podcast with you is that this is like a new thing. I'm very excited by it. I know a little bit about you. I won't say I know everything about you, but I do know that you've got a lot of film bonafides, which makes you qualify a toast podcasts with me, wouldn't you say?
Speaker 6: Sure? I guess so. First of all, I produced an excellent movie podcast before this one called I Saw What You Did.
Speaker 4: As we've already covered, I've produced.
Speaker 6: Several movie podcasts, but also, like you, Millie, I went to film school lot and so hopefully, you know, we can throughout the course of this podcast, we can get some of those, like you know, film school tales, and we can bring up our time in film school because that's sort of a funny time in everyone's life. So anyways, went to film school. I also would consider myself a filmmaker, would because I do make short films and I'm working on a feature film right now, and I really love movies. They're a big part of my life and my creative identity. I also used to host a film podcast that's right called fart House, where we talked about artsy fartsy films, and I did that with my friend Patrick mallin.
Speaker 4: What's up Patrick, Listen, Like you might be wondering. I mean, I think obviously if you're a fan of asolog did you have heard many episodes where Danielle and I had talked about you know, film bros. You know, you know the type film bros. Sure, we're trying to like, you know, bring some other people to the table. And so for me, the idea that I would be hosting a new film podcast with a guy who went to film school, you know, might be kind of unexpected. But guess what, you're a good one. You're not a film bro. You're not a film bro. I will stand by that one thousand percent.
Speaker 6: Well, thank you, I appreciate that, Millie. I think that it's not unlike Wharf in Star Trek. You know, he's a Klingon and a lot of people have a you know thought him as you know, the Klingon race is very violent. But you know, people just need to understand that Wharf is a gentle soul and you know, over time they accept him.
Speaker 5: So I'll just be plain honest with you. Have no idea what you.
Speaker 4: Just said I've never seen Star Trek in my entire life.
Speaker 6: That's fine, I won't bring it up again on the show. But anyways, I appreciate that. And I think, you know more than just film brodum.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 6: I think there's a kind of there can be kind of a lot of rules in terms of and they're all imagined, of course, but like there's a lot of pressure to think about movies in a very specific way. A lot of that is, you know, it tends to be from like a more male point of view, and it's kind of like these are the good movies, these are the bad movies. If you like these movies, you're cool. If you like these movies, you drool, you know. And I think this podcast wants to kind of dash away any sort of pretension or you know, rules about what you need to do in order to consider yourself a lover of movies. You know, if you sincerely love a movie, even if it's considered you know, a bad movie by some that should be celebrated. And that's what this podcast is about. It's about like enjoying film at all levels. Yes, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I agree, And I also think it's important to say that, you know. I mean, I think obviously the title of this podcast here Movies, I Love You, the icon that pops up when you pull it up on your podcast platform. You know, the idea that one of our favorite bands of all time, the Softies, has done the wonderful theme song. It all contributes to this idea of like again having a crush on a film, having an emotional relationship to movies, and how movies are a big part of people's lives and they help them through like hard times and good times. I mean, I cry all the time in movies and they don't have to be sad. I cry at happy movies. I cry it sweet movies, I cry it you know, violent films. Like I am such an emotional person that I you know, I've realized this over several years of therapy.
Speaker 5: I'm a very emotional person.
Speaker 4: And I think kind of what you're alluding to, like with the things that you've just said, is that, like a lot of times, you know, film is one of those mediums where people feel like they got to be like super analytical or they have you know, they got to come at it in a very kind of sterile way in order to seem legitimate or something, and I'm like, fuck that we should be talking about our crush on movies and talking about how much we love it and how much they get us through our lives and how they're a part of our lives. So that's what it's gonna be, guys. It's not gonna be this whole like, well, the box office numbers from nineteen eighty nine show that this movie did five percent better. I mean, if that comes up, it comes up. But for the most part, you know, we're gonna be a little sensitivo.
Speaker 6: Well, we're gonna be sensitivo. I'm a very emotional person.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: I've said before that I consider myself a soft straight. I'm a softy, and I love rom coms are like kind of my favorite genre of film. But I also I'll throw on Salo. Wait, who's the director of Salo Pasolini? Pasolini, which is a movie that is one of the most I don't know, sexually violent and perverse and there's a lot of like eating poop in it, and uh.
Speaker 4: Great date night movie, great date night movie.
Speaker 6: But it's a very extreme art house movie from the seventies, is that one it's from? But anyways, you know, I can throw on that movie as much as I can throw on you know, Sleepless in Seattle, a movie I truly love. So I think this is more about the emotional connection to film rather than any sort of intellectual debate or study of film. If that all makes sense.
Speaker 5: It all totally makes sense.
Speaker 4: I mean we are intellectuals, We're emotional intellectuals, exactly, That's right. I think that's I think that is what brings us together and why we thought this show would be good is because I think we both seem so tough and hard on the outside, but on the inside.
Speaker 6: We're just we're marshmallows, you know, We're a big softies.
Speaker 5: We're not unlike John Wick, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: We're exactly like in so many ways, We're exactly like John That's right.
Speaker 4: But you know what also I like about you, Casey, and part of the reason why I poach you from the film podcast streets to be on a podcast with me. I like that you understand that high art and lower art they both are able to sit at the same table. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, yeah, I think that way about food too. A great I used to work at a very fancy restaurant in La Jelina and love the food there. But I'm a frequent McDonald's. I'm in there getting a mc rib you know, on the regular when it's there. So yes, I agree, high and low they're the same. They sit at the same table.
Speaker 4: For me, if I were to like talk about my own career and the things that I've done, like programming and writing and things like, you know, sort of being sort of general film historian type, I think that's kind of how I approach That's how I approach film, is that I'm like, I want to speak in a smart, intellectual kind of I don't know, competent way about all kinds of shit. It can be high brow, but it also there is a way to talk about show Girls and ed Wood and you know, like truly depraved cinema at the same time that you talk about I don't know, more sort of intellectual affair, the kind of criterion collection, any type of things. If you will, yes to me, that's kind of what I like about us, both as that we're able to kind of get you a man that can do both type of feeling.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So, and all are welcome at this table all levels of filmdom. We'll be excited to listen to this show. We'll talk about, you know, art house filmmakers like Ingmar Bergman, but we'll also talk about silly movies like Adam Sandler's Who be Halloween. I don't know, that's just an example a movie I like who But anyways, that's sort of the crux of our new podcast, our new endeavor together, and we're psyched. Were psyched about it.
Speaker 4: We just wanted to do a little intention setting before we rolled out all the other episodes. But hopefully you're on the ride with us. I mean, if you liked I saw what you did, you're gonna like this podcast. So we're excited. Here we go, We're excited to be here.
Speaker 6: Well, moving on, our first segment is called film Diary Millie. One way of keeping track of the movies we've watched is on a social media app that we both use, and I'd love if listeners followed us on there because the comments I'm making on these movies are hilarious.
Speaker 4: Cannot be ignored.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they can follow us on there. You like Letterbox as an app, you use it, you're a user.
Speaker 5: I'm a user, of course.
Speaker 4: I talked about this on my substack once about how I probably use letterbox in the wrong way, which is that I'm not like consistently using.
Speaker 5: So here's letterbox, right.
Speaker 4: If you haven't been on it before, it's basically a way for you to kind of catalog the movies that you've seen. You know, there's an ability to rate it like five star, you know, one to five stars or no stars. You can leave reviews. There's a kind of social component to where you can friend other people and see what they've been watching and see what they've been reviewing. So it's kind of just like a big social media platform for movie nerds. And there are definitely power users out there who are writing like thousand word essays on every movie they've seen. Yes, I am real lucy goosy about it. I definitely catalog everything that I've seen, so my film diary is always accurate. Am I reviewing things all the time?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 4: Am I writing intelligent things in those reviews? No?
Speaker 5: Am I rating it with the star system?
Speaker 4: Not all the time. That's another topic for another time. By the way, is the star rating system on Letterbox? Maybe that's a film grape we can talk about. Sure, Yes, because it's very contentious and I've gotten called out on it before, but please find us on there because it's a way for us. We're going to be like talking about Letterboxed a lot because this is like again where we're cataloging what we've seen. But first and foremost, I have to say, Casey, I don't know if you remember this at all.
Speaker 6: But it took you eight I'm going to be upset that you're bringing I'm upset that you're bringing this set the people continue no that.
Speaker 4: It took you a very long time to friend me back on letterbox.
Speaker 6: So MILLI followed me on. And it's not exactly like you're not really friends on a letterbox. You basically follow someone and then they can follow you back. It's not like accepting a friend request on Facebook and you're mind it's not it was for me, okay, Well, Milly had followed me on letterboxed and I went about my life after that after and I don't know if I missed the notification or something, but it took me maybe a year before I followed you back, and I mentioned it kind of like, oh, MILLI, isn't it funny? I just I didn't realize you were on Letterbox. I can't beieve it took me so long to follow you back, and you were like, yeah, I noticed.
Speaker 4: It was an offensive amount of time that went by. Like, let me just tell you right now, I had not only read at you, but it actually commented on one of your reviews.
Speaker 6: I know, I think I had just I assumed I had followed you back. I think that's what happened. I think I had assumed. There's no way I didn't follow you back, but I fucked up. I don't know what you want me to say here.
Speaker 4: I was like, okay, we work on a film podcast together. We're like in communication pretty much every other day. I know I friended this guy because I want him to feel included in what we're fucking doing around here, and it took him a year to follow me back. Anyway, I'm just I'm just saying, sure, that broke me for a while, but then you fix itself and I forgive you, and now we're obviously doing a podcast together.
Speaker 6: Now we're doing a podcast together.
Speaker 4: I've let it go well. And like there's other functionality on there too that like you can come up with lists. I'm a big list person. Yes, I also you know, like, I actually love the review component because there are people, like I said, who are using it like as like they're writing for Rogerdieber dot com type of thing. But then there are people who are like putting one two sentences about, you know, the thing that they've watched.
Speaker 6: That's how I do it. I do one or two sentences, and I like that. I prefer that as a user to read. I don't really want to read an essay on here, to be honest.
Speaker 4: Oh I know. And a lot of times it's like and this is the way I do it, but other people do it this way too. It's like the funniest observation about a movie. Yes, and I actually had one go sort of VIVI. I gotta say, wow my review for a Complete Unknown, where I talked about I don't know if you've seen it yet.
Speaker 5: I won't spoil it.
Speaker 6: Haven't seen it.
Speaker 4: Well, there's a moment of that movie that happens, which is a non spoiler.
Speaker 5: But it was like the weirdest thing to me.
Speaker 4: That was like the one thing I couldn't stop thinking about, and then I wrote it and then all of a sudden, it's like ping, ping, ping, Everyone's like we love it.
Speaker 5: We love the review.
Speaker 4: So that's what I like about Letterbox is that it's kind of like again, I think it's a high low scenario where you could either be really like deliberate and professional about it, or you can be a fucking goon like me.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Well, here's kind of one of my favorite reviews. This is ao Ata Biri. If you ever follow, she's a great follow on Letterbox. This is her review of The Empire Strikes Back. This movie is great, but I was really shocked by how ugly Yoda was. Sorry if that pisses anybody off, but I had only seen baby Yoda and adult Yoda is fucking busted.
Speaker 4: I mean that's the whole review.
Speaker 6: So it's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Anyways, this isn't an ad for Letterbox, but we love it and I use it all the time, and it's where I keep track of all the movies I've watched in the past.
Speaker 4: That's right. I mean, if the Letterbox wants to give us a check, we'll take it. But I'm just saying this is what we're gonna be using. Let's go into this film diary.
Speaker 6: Fabulous.
Speaker 4: So in the past week I've gone down this like kind of strange rabbit hole. So I discovered this Japanese director recently, and I don't actually know how I discovered him. I feel like I'm following some kind of Instagram account that's like an Asian.
Speaker 5: Film archive, think it's actually what it's called.
Speaker 4: And they posted a trailer or something about this movie. And the movie is called Hawu haar U. Okay, it was directed by this Japanese director. His name is Yoshi Mitsu Marita.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 5: This movie's from nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 4: And for some reason, when I saw the trailer, I was like, this seems so charming, Like I think his filmography, if I'm not mistaken, I'm not like a scholar on him yet. But he was making movies in like most of his movies came out in like the eighties and nineties, which is a real for me, kind of like a gap I don't I have, you know, I started thinking, like have I watched a lot of Japanese movies from the eighties and nineties, like, and then as the more I kind of was reading about him and sort of that era I think actually, And like I said, I don't want to say that this is the general attitude, but I've read that, you know, people kind of actually perceive that Chpanese filmmaking in the eighties wasn't very good, like they weren't making good movies generally in the eighties interesting, And so I came into it going, Okay, so this is supposed to be like an era of like bad Japanese filmmaking. Yet I walked into this movie and was like completely charmed by it. It was It's essentially a movie. I mean, this is this movie is probably like as close to this film podcast as we can get. It's essentially a woman who is a cinophile. She's a single woman, a school teacher living in Japan, and she's a cinopile. And she then she gets on like a movie message board. And this is ninety six, so this is early internet days.
Speaker 6: This is just like, inject this into my veins. I know, this sounds wonderful, and I've never heard of this guy or this movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it basically it's like a lot of the movie is there kind of like literally on screen, like sending messages on the message board. It's like her and this other person, and the other person at first is you know, kind of presents as a woman, but then it's actually a man, you know, because back in the day, you can really fool people about being you know, like I mean, I guess you could still catfish people now.
Speaker 6: Oh, catfishing is thriving right now, yeah, thriving.
Speaker 4: But back in like ninety six, man, you could literally be anybody. And so they kind of developed this, you know, I don't know, this online sort of a pistolary relationship and they're kind of like he's in a bad marriage or he's in a kind of weird spot in his life, and they just kind of bond together and it's this kind of like you got male in Japan in the nineties over the internet.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, that's so cute.
Speaker 5: In aphile, Yeah, and I'm like, oh, it was lovely.
Speaker 6: That's so interesting, you say, like not knowing Japanese movies from the eighties or nineties, and I was just thinking, I was like, I don't really either, except for one of my favorite movies of all time, Tom Popo by Juzi Atami, which is also like the cutest movie in the world world. Yeah, And so like, it definitely feels like it's an area that I want to explore, and I definitely want to check out. Is it Yoshi Mitsu Marita his movies Mariita. Yeah, these look incredible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then I actually watched another one because I liked Taru so much.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So there's this movie that he made in nineteen eighty four called Main Theme, and I gotta tell you, I don't think it's online anywhere.
Speaker 5: I had to go through you know, the dark web.
Speaker 6: The dark web nefarious and Millie she's in the dark web all too often.
Speaker 4: Always. Yeah, I mean, actually I get I get my groceries from the dark web. You know, it's yes, you know, I just use it for everything now, why not?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But this movie Main Theme, Oh my god. That movie was also incredible. It was also kind of a romance, but it had this like super whimsical. It was kind of like an umbrellas of Schoreberg feel.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it was the colors were amazing, I don't know, just the setups, the camera work, the colors, the costumes, everything. I was like, who the hell is this director? And why have I just figured him out?
Speaker 6: Yeah? So amazing, that's great.
Speaker 4: So what about you?
Speaker 5: Now you've gotta tell me?
Speaker 6: Oh my god. Okay, so full disclosure here. I'm in a bit of a horror movie zone right now, and so all of these are horror or horror adjacent and these ain't elevated, I'll tell you that much. I saw this Keebit Quaw film called Humanist Vampire Seeking consenting suicidal Person. What very cute that's on twenty twenty three.
Speaker 5: Wow a title.
Speaker 6: It's very cute. It feels like I'll leave I'll read my letterbox review. It's Only Lovers Left Alive meets Twilight because it's about kind of like it's very cute, see, but it's also very twee. I'm like over the vampires who are like I don't want to kill people. That's like, I find that annoying now, and I am sure vampires are you know? They they should murder people. That's that's what I took away from that.
Speaker 5: Are you a Twilight Were you.
Speaker 6: Indoctrinated? I've never read any of these books, but I was in college when all of those movies came out and all of my gal pals were obsessed with it. And so unfortunately I have seen every single Twilight film at midnight on the day it came out. So wow, I know a lot about it. I think people like like them now in retrospect, those are bad movies.
Speaker 4: You'll be surprised to know a little bit of a Twilight apologist, I kind of I've watched all of them really, Oh yeah, and I was way too old to be into it, Like I mean, I want, did the first one come out.
Speaker 6: Like two thousand and eight nine.
Speaker 4: I mean, I was a grown ass woman in a full time job.
Speaker 5: When those movies came out.
Speaker 4: I have no business.
Speaker 5: But you know, here's what I will say about that.
Speaker 4: I actually kind of feel that I might like them better now knowing who Robert Pattinson and Christian Stewart became true, do you know what I mean? Absolutely, Like I go backwards now and I'm like, oh, these these are like two cool people making cool films, Like yeah, I don't know, they made a bunch of teen shit. It's kind of cool.
Speaker 6: I don't know. Well, And I saw them at the height of my like shithead stage because I was in film school. I was like, this isn't you know, this isn't like the Urkmeister harmonies, like this sucks, you know, or whatever the name of that Bellatar film is. But I think I do need to revisit them because I think they would be fun to watch. Now, Yeah, I agree, Yeah, Twilight worth a revisit. Then I watched Okay, I saw this movie that I thought was incredible and I feel like it should be more famous. It's called Black Rainbow. It's directed by Mike Hodges. It's starring Rosanna Arquette and Jason Robard's have you seen this movie? It was just re released by Aero Video on Blu Ray. Like Harvey Weinstein and Miramax totally fucked up the release of this movie so it went straight to cable, so like nobody knows about it. But it's really good. It's about a traveling psychic played by Roseenna Arquette her father Jason Robards, and they're kind of a you know, shyster's they they like, are kind of scamming people. But then she starts getting visions of people actually dying and it's really good. I thought it was really interesting.
Speaker 4: I will not confuse it with Black Mothed Super Rainbow, which is a band from Pennsylvania.
Speaker 6: Okay, that's good, And I believe there's a movie beyond the Black Rainbow. Okay, that's a different movie. Okay, that's by Ponos Cosmatos of Mandy Fame. Oh that's a different film. Okay, get it right, get it right, pay the price. Did you ever watch Salute Your Shorts on Nickelodeon?
Speaker 5: What are you asking me right now?
Speaker 6: What you've seen Salute your Shorts?
Speaker 5: Are you fucking kidding me?
Speaker 4: Dude? Do you seem like every.
Speaker 6: Epp Okay doesn't ugg say?
Speaker 4: Yeah, get it right? Or pay the price? Okay, Okay says it yeah butt Nick screwed it up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, I'm just glad. I just wanted to make sure we're on the same page when it Salute your Shorts, And now I know we are, and so we can move forward with recording the podcast. And then the last movie I watched last night, which I'd never seen before, The Crow. I loved it. I thought it was great, The O G. Crow, Not Bill sars Guard's The Crow, Brandon Lee's The Crow. I have been told I look like Bill good movie by two different people.
Speaker 4: Wait, move your move your face away from micros I mean a little bit.
Speaker 6: I'm loath to say such a thing because he's like one of the hottest men on the planet. Or I think he's very hot. Me too. I will say two people told me that, but still a thrill.
Speaker 4: I would say, you were a little bit Casey Affleck meets Bill scars Gard.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, have you been told about case I get told Casey Affleck frequently, and my name is Casey.
Speaker 4: And maybe it's because your name is Casey. I get Casey Affleck, Casey Affleck and who else? Oh?
Speaker 6: Paul Rudd, Paul, Wow, you just happen to look like all the.
Speaker 5: Hottest men in Hollywood right now, and I do not. That's what I'm trying to underscore.
Speaker 6: And that's my burden, you know.
Speaker 4: Okay, So that was our film diary.
Speaker 5: How'd you feel good?
Speaker 4: First one?
Speaker 6: I feel good. It felt like writing in a real diary. I feel relieved of some emotional baggage.
Speaker 5: It's good.
Speaker 4: Well, okay, now we're moving into our main discussion, which is, again, like I said twenty eighteen's The Star Is Born, we're going to talk about drinking in movies. But first, Casey, I have a question for you. Do you participate in what they call dry January.
Speaker 6: Now, this is a great question I have, but here's a I have a huge problem with dry January. My birthday is in January. Ah, and that's going to be wet. You know, I'm not gonna that I refuse to not drink on my birthday because it's in dry January. And also my daughter's birthday is now in January. Now, maybe I shouldn't be drinking, you know, it shouldn't necessarily be a cause for drinking. But there'll be a party, and I would be sad if I couldn't have like a beer at my daughter's birthday party, which my daughter's birthday is the day before my birthday. Isn't that funny?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 6: But I do think it is nice sometimes to dry out a little bit and just you know, reconfigure because I am a drinker, but it's good to you know, kind of reconfigure your system. I feel like I kind of participate, is my answer in dry January.
Speaker 4: Sure, okay, okay, that makes sense. I was thinking about this obviously, because it's such a huge topic right as we're at the beginning of the new year, Happy twenty twenty five, and a lot of my friends are doing this dry January thing. Yes, white knuckling it. Yeah, it's so interesting because I'm kind of like, okay, a, when did we start like I don't remember Dry January when I was a kid, Like I don't remember people's parents.
Speaker 6: No, I mean, it feels like it's like ten years old.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And then it's sort of that feeling too where I'm like, I get that it's in sort of a mode of, you know, we're in a New Year's resolution phase where we're trying to be better people for a little while and then it all falls apart. But I'm also like, I guess it's because I am not like a huge drinker, so I don't need a dry January, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's like people will go extra hard leading up to dry January and then go real hard after dry January, and it's kind of like, well, this isn't good. You know, moderation is best.
Speaker 4: Well, and so it got me thinking, you know, because you know, it's our first episode, it's the first of the new year, and so I was like kind of thinking, let's maybe talk a little bit about you know, classic movie drunks or like movies about drinking, and you know, not all of it is fun all the time. Yeah, like charismatic drunks, but mean drunks. Yeah, and you know the whole gamut.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's interesting because there aren't that many movies where it's like a celebration of drinking without it being about alcoholism, yes, you know, or like the downside of imbibing.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, Well, and like so I started thinking about, like, what was the last movie that I remember seeing that just really was truly about alcoholism, the darkest alcoholic, Like maybe a movie you'd watch that would inspire you to adopt a dry january.
Speaker 5: Sure, it's something really hardcore.
Speaker 4: And I was like, I think the last one I saw was A Star was Born, the remake, the most recent remake of it, Yes, which was such a juggernaut when it came out.
Speaker 5: Did you not feel that?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 6: Absolutely? And it's one of those movies. When I saw the trailer, I was like, Oh, this is gonna be so bad. I just thought, I don't know, like I was like, I was like, it's Bradley Cooper's first movie. It's obviously like this Passion Project. It just I feel like it had things going against it. It had kind of a goof goofy moment in the trailer that was like Memed and is still Memed, you know, the wont you know but I love this movie and I was really blown away and it was a juggernaut, and it's the first movie in a while where it was like, oh, it's a big hit movie with stars and there's a huge song attached to it. Like that was fun. It kind of was a throwback to old blockbusters in a way where there's like a hit song kind of attached and embedded in the movie itself, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Like, so I decided that I was going to rewatch it actually during the Christmas break because I think it was on like I don't know, Paramount, so you know how, it's just like movies. I was like, oh, cool, a nice holiday movie where Bradley Cooper drinks himself to death. Amazing. So I watched it at my parents' house, and I gotta say, it's still really enjoyable. Yeah, And here's the thing that I thought was really interesting about this version of it, because if you don't know, I don't know how you wouldn't. At this point a Stars board is this like very storied franchise really at this point, yeah, it almost seems like it gets remade like every twenty thirty years. You know, the original, the very first Stars Born was made in nineteen thirty seven, and it was a William Wellman movie. I'm a huge fan of William Wellman, the director, and that is my actual favorite version of the story. Wow is the thirty seven because first of all, it's like, well, it's the original meeting the story you know, sort of is contained in its own like little universe, right, But also the lead actor of that film, Frederick March, who is I don't know if listeners really no, Frederick March.
Speaker 5: I mean he's kind of he's a he's a very.
Speaker 4: Famous actor of the thirties, but you know, isn't like a Gary Cooper type. He was very you know, like kind of under the radar. I say, if you are a Frederick March fan, we should be friends because you're a real head, you know what I mean. That's how cool Frederick March is. He's like the big star of nineteen thirties comedic actors.
Speaker 6: He's in a movie I like called I Married a Witch.
Speaker 4: Of course, yes, with Ronic Lake. Yeah, Frederick March is the most charming drunk in cinema history for my money. Like, and this is what makes the stars for the original the best, because obviously same premise, this guy, famous guy you know, meets this kind of like young Hollywood upstart on Janu type. They form a relationship. Then she quickly realizes, oh, he's like a fucking alcoholic who like can't handle a shit, And what do I do?
Speaker 5: I'm ascending my Stars on the rise.
Speaker 4: This guy is falling on his ass and you know, peeing himself in front of the Oscars or whatever it was.
Speaker 5: But it's like she loves him, She's tied to him.
Speaker 4: That's the you know, the baseline of the franchise, right, But Frederick marsh is so charming and funny and like sweet that I truly feel like I do not want this guy to fail, Like I want him to get a shit together and I want him to like win, but as you know, spoiler alert, he can't win. Yeah, he's got to be tragedy.
Speaker 5: Here's got to be tragedy.
Speaker 6: So that's something I want to ask you about because you have you seen all of the Stars borns.
Speaker 4: Yes, I would say the Stars Board is like my star trek.
Speaker 6: Sure. Sure many have said that.
Speaker 4: Like I am very committed.
Speaker 6: Yes, And so I have to I have a few questions because I have only seen the Bradley Cooper Lady Gaga one, and honestly, I'm sorry, but spoiler alert to the heavens on this, I'm not I'm not holding back on the ending of this. Does the male protagonist pee his pants in front of people in all of them? Or was that just in the Lady Gaga Bradley Cooper won.
Speaker 5: So what happens in the thirties version is that he accidentally hits her?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 4: I think so? Basically, like she goes to the awards, he does his holy you know, interrupts the speech, and then he throws his arm back and hits her like on accident, and everyone's like, oh, okay, that's what happens in thirty seven. Now, I haven't seen the seventies one in a while. I actually don't think it's in there at all. And then the James Mason version, No, I don't think he pisses himself because they wouldn't have allowed that in the fifties.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I can't see James Mason pissing his pants on screen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I feel like that was something that Bradley Coops. Yeah, you know, he put his own stank on that moment. Yes, So let me ask you this because I have a huge fascination with Bradley Cooper as a director.
Speaker 6: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 4: So this being his first movie that he's directed, he went ham right because he's in the movie. He's saying some of the songs he you know, adopted this like all. But it's kind of like this new persona, wouldn't you say?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Absolutely, It's like kind of like Austin hippie cowboy guy, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he's like maybe having a drink at Pappy and Harriet's in Pioneer Town or something.
Speaker 6: You know, Can I interrupt you? I have something to say to that matter. I have a personal connection to this film. How I went to college with Lucas Nelson, Willie Nelson's son. Okay, he co wrote all the music with Bradley Cooper for this movie, and Bradley Cooper based his personality on Lucas Nelson.
Speaker 5: Is that a known fact?
Speaker 6: There are articles about this, Okay, Okay, I didn't know Lucas that well. We hung out a few times, and then he'd left college after his freshman year to become a rock star and lead the band Lucas Nelson. In the promise of the reel My Good friend, though Logan Metz was in the band the promise of the reel. Oh wow, and Lucas Nelson is in A Star is Born. He's like the guitar player. Oh I see, Yeah, yeah it is interesting. Bradley Kuper did have a new persona and it's kind of based on Lucas Nelson.
Speaker 5: Interesting.
Speaker 4: There's something fascinating to me about because this. Obviously he made more movies after this one. This was the one where he was like, I got a lot to prove. Yes, I am taking this beloved, storied, historical ip and I'm gonna do my own weird, you know Nashville guy thing with it. Right, Yes, it was a juggernaut. People loved it like it was memified. I mean people were you know, imtiten his exit, you know, which was essentially no Sam Elliott's accent, and you know, I mean it left people shook. I remember, So, I mean, I hate to say this about y'all, but like so many straight guys that I'm friends with were like shook by that movie.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: They were like, man, what a fucking movie?
Speaker 4: Like they had never seen a movie that affected their kind as much as this film.
Speaker 6: Right, My people, my people, like, we're welcome.
Speaker 4: To our world. What the fuck? They're like, oh my god, this, like you know, dramatic story is hitting me in the fucking fields. And I'm like, that's what we do here, by the way, as you know, we cry about every movie we watch. But then he went on to make Maestro, which did you see You saw My shrow RW.
Speaker 6: I loved My Stroll. It was like one of my favorite movies of the last year. Like, I feel like Stars Weren't is such a big swing, it's such a big risk because like it could have been such a flop because it's like it's so sincere, it's so emotional and it really goes for it. And Maestro is much the same, but even more so, I feel like he felt empowered by a star is Born to make a nuttier movie exactly. Someone pointed out that like every movie he's been in and has directed, he plays a genius essentially, and there's like a Martyred genius And that's sort of funny to think about. I keep thinking back to this interview with Leonard Bernstein's Children that Bradley Cooper was in that interview. Do you know what I'm talking about? Have you seen this, I think, so I remember it. Yeah, And the interviewer asks the children, what do you miss most about him? Of course, Leonard Bernstein died in like nineteen ninety one. Bradley Cooper doesn't know Leonard Bernstein. But Bradley Cooper answered the question and he's like, oh my god, I just I miss him so much. Just and he like started crying, and I was like, this is so delulu crazy like that he felt comfortable answering that question that it made me like, maestro more. I mean, it's just such a like a vanity project, and it's just it's so outrageously theatrical and they're doing so there's so much like accent and makeup work going on. I mean, it is so crazy. Bradley Cooper's movies are like invigorating and alive in a way and like passionate, and it just sucks me in because they aren't like other movies coming out now, where so many movies that are like highbrow art house movies are so quiet and like muted and the performances are very muted, yes, But Bradley Cooper's they are loud, taking big swings, and so I just I just it just I just drink it all in. I just I'm a fan. I guess, yeah.
Speaker 4: I I'm glad you think this because I want to say that I have this very nuanced opinion of Briley Cooper as a famous person, right, yes, and that I think it is informed by my love, my love and my passion and my writing about fucking Colt movies. I mean, basically, I'm a cold movie person and I'm like, oh, so here's this like megalomaniac director type. Yes, Like he's basically like extremely well funded ed Wood meets Tommy Wiseau meets you know what I mean. That's not a disparaging comment, by the way, Like I fucking love ed Wood, but it's like in that way, that's like making ridiculous, big swing artistic statements.
Speaker 5: I mean, maybe not Edwood. Maybe we call him like Bob Foster.
Speaker 6: Sure, Bob Foss is a good comp I think, Yes, Yes.
Speaker 4: I appreciate there being at least one are two people at any given moment in Hollywood being that maniac. Like I appreciate the mania, the like ridiculousness, the sort of you know, over the top, like you know, putting himself in his own movies, like giving himself the duty of making old classic things relevant. You know, yeah, you know, have feeling like the onus is on you to like extend the story of a stars board or whatever the fuck right, and uh pulling in like all of your bullshit in the world, you know, like all of your weird isms and costumes and noses and ship you know, who left Snoopy in the vestibule? Why?
Speaker 6: Like damn it, I was. I'm mad that you said that, because I was I was thinking about doing that for Halloween this year holding a snoopy doll? Who left Snoopy in the vestibule? Oh my god?
Speaker 4: Like that to me is like that is my actual letterbox review for my stroke. By the way, is who.
Speaker 5: Left Snoopy the vestibule?
Speaker 4: That's all you need, Isn't that one fucking sentence? Also is the essence of why I think he's so funny and I like him ultimately is because he's just like that, like throwing that into his fucking three hour movie about you know, somebody that he feels like he needs to cry about in front of his child, you.
Speaker 6: Know what I mean? Oh my god. Yes, So I am a fan. Yes, I look forward to whatever his next project is. I hope Maestro didn't throw him off course at all. Do you like the music in A Star is Born?
Speaker 4: I don't like the bop that they told us was the bop. The shallow is a shallow chow.
Speaker 6: You don't like shallow?
Speaker 4: Oh, Millie don't really hit for me.
Speaker 6: I feel like that's man. I'm just I'm an easy mark. I just I was like, I just thought I was I thought that was a great song, and I uh, when when she first sings it in the movie, I was like I was taken away. I don't know, it worked for me.
Speaker 4: God, the whole thing is just such a bummer.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is like.
Speaker 4: The whole movie is a real fucking bummer by design. It's been that way for decades because the thirty seven version is a fucking bummer as well.
Speaker 8: To me.
Speaker 4: I don't know. When I rewatched it again, I was like, whoever programmed this at Christmas is a g because this is like a fucking straight up bummer of the highest order. I feel like, shit, thank you. And then yeah, it just sort of made me like, re like just have to remember kind of this, you know the reality that we were living in when this movie came out and how like you know, Briley Cooper's media Lady Gaga had had she acted before, like this was her big like god, her big thing.
Speaker 6: I mean I think she had like hosted snl oh. Yeah, and like I think she was in the Ryan Murphy universe doing god knows what goes on there. She is so charming in this Yeah, there's a shot when he when she's on the side of the stage and he's like trying to pull her on to sing Shallow for the first time, and she's like hi, Like she's like acting like such a like kind of like weirdo, Like she's like totally overwhelmed, but it's like it's so disarming and charming, and I don't know, I really I thought she was so good in this movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I was absolutely delighted that Andrew dice Clay played her dad.
Speaker 6: Incredible, right, absolutely incredible.
Speaker 4: He was great at it and considering like how obnoxious he was, like it is heyday, the fact that he just was like some like dad in a movie really like made me kind of happy.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was like always like you know, I don't know, he's back and he's like Lady Kakaw's like drives a limo or whatever.
Speaker 5: I don't even know what he does, but yeah, she was really great at it.
Speaker 4: And I you know again, like that's the thing about a starsborn. It attempts to take that kind of like famous diva of the era, uh huh and put her in that role. Right, So it's like, you know, we got Judy Garland, We've got Barbi Streisan. I mean the first one. You know, I wasn't alive in the thirties, So I don't know if Janet Gaynor was the Lady Gaga of the thirties or whatever.
Speaker 5: I don't believe so, but.
Speaker 4: That's the thing is that, like it kind of couldn't have been many other people but Lady Gaga to be this role.
Speaker 6: Were you ever influenced to drinking alcoholic drink based on seeing it in a movie?
Speaker 4: Yes, I drank a white Russian after I saw Big Lebowski.
Speaker 6: I did that too.
Speaker 5: Thought it was kind of nasty, to be honest, I like.
Speaker 6: A white Russian, but they're an acquired taste. I saw the movie north By Northwest with Carrie Grant and he orders a Gibson, which is a martini with pearl onions instead of olives. Oh and that's my favorite drink.
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Do you eat the pearl onion like can?
Speaker 6: I don't always because that is a potent punch, but it is. I like the brine of the pickled onion in my Martini.
Speaker 5: I love Martini olives.
Speaker 6: They're great.
Speaker 4: Oh man, I'm like, yo, put like twelve of them shits on a stick, and I'm just.
Speaker 6: Gonna dunk, dunk dunk. Yeah. That okay.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna dunk the olive in the Martini drink and just eat them.
Speaker 5: They're so delicious.
Speaker 6: So do you like a dirty Martini? A dirty Martini is where they actually pour olive brine into the martini. Should try it out sometime.
Speaker 4: I like the eating component though, that's the one I like about Martini's.
Speaker 6: You know what's funny, Millie? This is so random?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 6: You and I have only seen each other in person for once, and it was like for thirty seconds. Isn't that interesting? Was it at the Egyptian Theater or down that way?
Speaker 8: It was?
Speaker 4: Since you have a terrible memory involving anything with me, it was at the Chinese Multiplayer in Hollywood, okay, and you were about to see was that a movie?
Speaker 5: With Rod Steiger.
Speaker 6: No, it was it was Paul Newman, the Hustler.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 4: I got you and your wife Tricia into the movie. Yes, and that was the first time I'd ever met you, even though you had been recording the podcast for a while before that.
Speaker 6: Right, No, I think it was pretty early on. I think it was. Maybe I've been doing it for like two months.
Speaker 5: Oh, I see.
Speaker 6: We will be reunited at some point in person, hopefully drinking martinezn't eating olives.
Speaker 4: Absolutely alrighty, that was our discussion of A Star is Born and getting hammered in film. So now it's time for our guest segment, which we're calling my area of expertise. So this is where we're gonna bring on a guest, usually somebody funny and cool, I.
Speaker 6: Hope, always cool. Funny I don't know necessarily, but very cool, always cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, we're setting a high bar with the funny because Sheila was an incredible comedian. But you know, normally what would happen is we're gonna bring on somebody they're gonna discuss this like hyper specific area that they are expert in when it comes to movies. Right, and since we spoke about you know, the modern iteration of a Starsborn, which is a movie about music.
Speaker 5: I'll be We're gonna bring on a guest.
Speaker 4: To talk about, you know, this area of their expertise. That's also sort of another example of like a modern cinematic fantasia, the Magic my franchise. I think, you know, our first guest is a wonderful human being, and I am not at all lying about that in any way, way, shape or form. I've known this woman for so so long. She originally is an Atlantic comedian who has been in New York for decades at this point, I would say, and very funny. She does stand up all over the country, all over the world, to be honest, and also has this incredible podcast called The War Report that she does with a fellow comic named Gastor Almonte. They're very funny together, and she's just a wonderful human being and I want to bring her on the pod. So, ladies and gentlemen, please welcome shealeiwa sharp yay. Hello, Hi everyone, welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 6: Wait, how do you how did you guys first meet?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 8: The dirty, dirty streets of Atlanta, casey, oh my god, where there are just young people roaming just looking for their next you know, brit pop fix or yes, just any dive bar that needed people in horn rim glasses to hang out around the edges.
Speaker 4: I will say this though, not to say that we were not good friends before this, but I feel like the event that really crystallized our friendship in a deep, meaningful way is that Playboy article slash interview with John Mayer that came out many years ago.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, Like I.
Speaker 4: Think the biggest topics in that moment were the fact that Jessica Simpson had been called sexual napalm. Remember I always talked about that, and that he called his penis racist. Yeah, which is I think was the biggest That was like issue number one.
Speaker 6: I remember this now I was. I didn't realize it was from that article, but that's yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I mean when you say, like, sure, I'd love to date women that aren't white, but my penis is the yeah, you don't have people who are not white sit.
Speaker 6: Down and go what yeah?
Speaker 1: And so that's that's what we had to do for hours.
Speaker 6: Okay, Millie, why don't we transition a little bit into why we wanted to bring Chileuah on the show today?
Speaker 4: We like to bring people on and talk about, you know, an area of their film expertise, right, Like, have you gone really hard on like a specific director or a specific genre. Are you like very well versed in you know, a certain type of film or like a franchise of some kind. And so when I asked you this question and you replied, yes, I do have an expertise, and then you told me what the expertise was, I was thrilled.
Speaker 5: Let's just say that.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and I think that because Casey and I both share this passion as well. Oh good, So I feel like we're gonna have an incredible debates slash a debate. I think there's gonna be a debate because I feel like over the course, I mean, let's just say it, Chile, what is your area of expertise that you like to talk about today.
Speaker 8: My area of expertise i'd like to discuss today is the Magic Mike Universe, the trilogy, the trilogy.
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, I would like to first and foremost, I would like to establish a timeline, if you'll bear with me. Okay, let's establish a timeline of the moment you figured out who Channing Tatum was. Did it start with the Step Up films or did you know him prior to that? Like did how did you enter the universe via Channing Tatum?
Speaker 8: It was the Step Up movie, the first one. I didn't see it in the theater, and I did end up renting it and watching it, and I remember at some point standing up and yelling, why didn't I see this in the theater because it's so amazing. Yeah, but that definitely was my entry point into Channing Tatum, and I viewed him in a particular way, which definitely evolved as I got to know him more.
Speaker 1: Air quotes around.
Speaker 8: No, but yes, he came in and he really stole my heart very quickly because he is what I like to call one of our chin strap beard warriors. And that is what I call any young Caucasian man who has an affinity for Black music, for R and B, especially for hip hopes, for all aspects of hip hop, the graffiti, all of the graffiti, the break dancing.
Speaker 1: It's the breakdancing is important.
Speaker 5: It is my kryptonite. I have gone on record I can.
Speaker 8: I truly am stone cold.
Speaker 1: I'm the deuce out here.
Speaker 8: But if you are a young white man with a respectable fade, or a shaved head and or a chin strap beard.
Speaker 1: I don't know, there's gonna be problems. I'm a weekend. I'm a little weak.
Speaker 6: And what was it when you saw it? What was your reaction to it? Was it nervous and excitement or like, were you surprised by your reaction to it? Were you comforted by the dancing?
Speaker 1: I fully enjoyed it, Millie. We saw it together.
Speaker 4: Yes, we did, full disclosure, full disclosure.
Speaker 1: It was there. We saw it together.
Speaker 8: We like ran, we ran, but I enjoyed magic Mike.
Speaker 6: But it also was a little dark. Yes, yes it was.
Speaker 8: And I remember walking out that was like, I mean, yeah, they danced, but oh my god, what.
Speaker 6: They could have danced more?
Speaker 4: Well, this is kind of the like trajectory that I think is really interesting about this franchise because it's like, Okay, the first movie was like kind of a dark drama in certain parts, and it was really mostly about the Alex Pettifer character, who was kind of like like because Channing Tatum like magical Michael, if you will, well, yes, he was already in the world. And then you as a viewer were with the Adam character. The Alex Powlifer character who was like, I'm new to this. I need some extra cash. I guess I'm gonna like start, you know, down this road of exotic dancing and drugs and women and all this stuff. And that was kind of more about his descent into the world. And so there was a serious moment, you know, or two, but it was like it was really his story. And then when the second one came out right yes, they basically were like, well, the public has spoken, we have heard the request. Nothing no more serious. We don't care about this. Who the fuck cares about Adam. We might as well kill off, right. We need to get rid of the darkness.
Speaker 6: We need to get rid of plots, we need to get rid of, you know, all the extra stuff, and really concentrate. It's a concentrated film into what is the essence? And I think Magic Mike XXL is the one that is now remembered mostly.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, Yeah, absolutely, I think so.
Speaker 8: I think what they did is they took the montage in the first one of first, they took out all the soderbergness, and for EXXL they took the montage of Matthew McConaughey teaching the new kid how to move like a rattlesnake in the marriage and then you stick it.
Speaker 1: They took that and then they.
Speaker 8: Took it out of the Golden Hour lighting, did some color.
Speaker 1: Brighten this up. Let's check the color of this bitch.
Speaker 8: And then they and then they were like, let's make a whole movie of that energy.
Speaker 4: Put them in an ice cream truck and let them travel around the South.
Speaker 1: America loves a road movie.
Speaker 5: America loves it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, they really.
Speaker 6: They remove all steaks too, I mean, there's like no steaks in the second one. I mean, in some ways, Magic my XXL feels more like kind of like an art house experimental film because you're like.
Speaker 4: Where are you? Where are they going?
Speaker 6: It's not a competition. They're not going it's like a showcase. They don't win anything, so there's no like prize money that they need to get something. They're just kind of like hanging out, going place to place, you know, dropping in on all these people and thrusting on them. And it's just like it's more of an interesting kind of experiment in what a film can be than the first one, which is more of like a traditional like arc you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the second one is definitely. It's a magic magic magic magic bike.
Speaker 4: Magic magic magic.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 4: Well, what I think is also really fascinating about the second one, too, is that they introduced this Jada Pinkett Smith speak on it mansion of Exotic Dancing Men like whatever this yeah private Club was, and that in and of itself has a lore that needs its own movie totally, Like that house needs to have its own franchise.
Speaker 6: It has has its own like Ballerina john Wick type movie exactly.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And I may be getting ahead of us, but this is why I was so angry with the Last Dance, Yes, Magic Mike's Last Dance, the third one, we'll get there, yeah, but because of what they did in the second movie, Like, there are a couple of stories that definitely could have been just like offshoots from this main thing.
Speaker 1: That would have been fine, you know, maybe.
Speaker 8: Not theatrical release, I don't know, but you could have thrown that either on straight to DVD or a streamer wherever it would have fallen in the timeline of.
Speaker 1: Excellent to be movie, an excellent TOOV.
Speaker 4: Movie, ye'd be like an Amazon free V original, Yes, free V original of like what's your Name?
Speaker 1: Big Big Dick? Big Dick rich.
Speaker 8: Like he finally finding his glass slipper and now moving in like probably taking up with that woman.
Speaker 1: What did that look like?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Totally.
Speaker 8: Also to find out the personalities of these dancers.
Speaker 4: They were like a boy band. It was like, yeah, boy band, Like it was like he had the bomber character, was kind of this like Ed Kowalchiky like kombucha Eastern religion guy. And you're like, why did that happen? And then you know you've got like the big Dick Richie story. I mean even like the fucking Kevin Nash had a moment pantest.
Speaker 8: Yes, right, and then it was a desert storm like all kinds of all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 1: Then it's like what And it's not like.
Speaker 8: I need you to give me a movie for each one of these guys, like a like a children's book.
Speaker 1: Or some I don't need.
Speaker 8: I don't need to know all of that, but there were a couple of things that happened to them that it's like, how did you end up here?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know you definitely could be we could do a.
Speaker 6: Four Rooms sure, yeah, different directors, just take.
Speaker 4: You know, what director for each one, like an anthology?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I feel like we could do that for them. At the very least, that would have been something, Yeah, well.
Speaker 6: Bringing up the characters and like how you get to know them in the second one, which is like what makes that second one so great? Then they take that away immediately in the third one.
Speaker 4: My gosh, I think they're.
Speaker 6: On a zoom call or something.
Speaker 4: You was so offended by that. I was. I was like, I am walking.
Speaker 5: Out of this theater.
Speaker 4: And I saw the third one in London. Oh wow. I was actually in England the weekend that it came out, and I was like, I feel like I'm in the story, you know whatever, why in London? Don't know why? And then when that happened, I was like, you're meeting to tell me that the boys the gang are gonna be relegated to a fucking zoom. That was like all stutter and like, you know, bad wi fi. I was like, this is an insult, an insult to the second one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was so mad.
Speaker 6: Well, I thought that they were like setting it up. It's like, Oh, don't worry, They're gonna have to fix some things with the show and they're going to bring the boys back to help fix the show. And that did not happen.
Speaker 8: No, we didn't even get a good like boys in that they found. That's really what I got me. I was like, okay, it really was bad. It was it was Godfather three, y'all.
Speaker 1: It was gone.
Speaker 8: The whole thing gave me my personally. I was like, oh, this is my personal Godfather. Because I love the first one. I really love the second one. The second one had two stories going on really and then the third one is questionable at best, but I do not like it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well the third one made me sad too, because you know, in Magic Mike ex excel, it seems like he's gotten the furniture business off the ground. He's making his own money, he's doing well. Yeah, the third one starts with him working some shitty catering job at Selma Jayak's house. I'm like, what happened?
Speaker 4: What happens?
Speaker 6: I don't know. It's just like starts as an off as a bummer.
Speaker 1: It does, it really does.
Speaker 8: And I mean after the first performance that he gives for he did a few things. I was just like physically, I'm like, oh, wow, okay, you still got it, Mike. I don't like, you don't want to train like Magic Mike the next Generation or like a like you know, which I think.
Speaker 1: Is already like a reality show or something.
Speaker 8: But sure there was space for him to pass down his chin strap like learnings teachings to London where I'm sure, I'm sure the chin strap dude situation there is fantastic. They concentrated on the wrong thing because they paid for Salmahayak to be there.
Speaker 1: That's why.
Speaker 4: Do you feel like this franchise could either be rebooted at some future points, maybe even completely different people right, you know how they do now? Or there will be like a fourth movie way into the future that could be done. Maybe it is like a Netflix thing or something like. Do you feel like that's at all possible any future with this franchise at all?
Speaker 8: I don't think the reviews were great on three, and that may have stuck in Channing Tatum's Krang maybe a little bit, because that is I feel like what it would take for a fourth one to be made. It's there's room you can you can save it if you have a movie with a little life in it. I honestly, I really love the idea of like doing the Jada story, but that might be too far gone now. Yeah, but I think that they could do some sort of a reboot.
Speaker 4: Like what if they got like Nicholas Galazine.
Speaker 8: To be Oh, Nicholas Gallatin, that's my new favorite guy.
Speaker 1: I love him so much.
Speaker 4: What if he was Magic Mike, the son Magic Mike.
Speaker 8: I called it the Son of Magic Mike. That would be enough. Son of Magic Mike is like so funny. Yeah, I think that's what they would have to do. They'd have to do it like they did the Step Up, like where Channing just comes through for one scene and he's literally glowing like I don't know, Obi wan kenobi or some shit, and he just kind of comes through and it's just like I give you the power or something something glittery throat and now he's able to his son or his nephew or some whatever is now able to I think that's what it would take.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I have a pitch just based on everything you just said, Shaliua, son of Son of Magic Mike. Okay, Nicholas Gallop, why does Gallon see allance scene? Okay, he's Channing and he has a bad relationship with his father, uh huh okay, and he goes up into his attic and he finds all the old pictures and videos of his dad stripping, and then he starts stripping. And then Magic Mike is like, you don't want to go down that road, like it'll ruin, it'll kill you.
Speaker 1: Love it, let's go.
Speaker 4: Let's go.
Speaker 6: In the end the finale, Channing comes out to save his son somehow by stripping.
Speaker 1: I'm here, I'm kind of here for it.
Speaker 6: I think that would work.
Speaker 4: The other Angels. The other angels show up.
Speaker 6: Okay, Like like at the end of Star Wars, you see the ghosts of All We Want and Darth there, big big, and he's like translucent, you know, like smiling down.
Speaker 8: Yeah, because they're absolutely I would love nothing more than to see Nicholas Gallatin in an attic lifting out of a dusty box a penis pump.
Speaker 6: Yes, just got.
Speaker 8: Blowing the dust off a penis pump and just like what is this and then like hacking it all up, leaving the house, you know. Give us a little bit of love is a battlefl Pat Benatar video vibe, like all of this a little bit of very eighties like Us against the System vibe. Yes, anything that ends with somebody with their fist up at the end in a freeze frame.
Speaker 1: I think we got it. Yeah, No, I think that's it. Yeah, I think that's it.
Speaker 8: Oh, it's a way in, it's away in, and it's so wild and then you just want to see what happened.
Speaker 4: Yes, Oh man, lord, I'm gonna cash up my bir and fun. If you guys co write the screenplay, I will fund whatever.
Speaker 5: I will fund the production.
Speaker 1: That's great. Yeah, I'm here for it. I'm here for it.
Speaker 4: Well, Chile, Well listen, we really really appreciate you coming on the pod to give your takes, h your expertise on the Magic Mic franchise. If people want to find you online or do you have any shows coming up? What's all that info?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 8: Sure, I am tragically and cross online at still at all of the things. My handle on all of them is at Silky Jumbo all one word traditional spelling except for TikTok, where the O.
Speaker 1: At the end is a zero.
Speaker 8: But if you actually just put the O in, you'll find the other account that I forgot the password too.
Speaker 1: You'll find me. Look, I'm there, I'm there.
Speaker 8: I swear my website is chilewassharp dot tumblr dot com because I don't know what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: Why would I leave Tumblr?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm on Instagram a lot. I'm on Twitter, the only dead name I used. I'm on Twitter all the time. That's usually where you can find where I'm going to be if you are in the New York City area. UCB has a theater on East fourteenth Street, and on Monday nights, there's a free stand up comedy show called Whiplash and I am the host of that. That's a very storied sand up show that has is back from the risen from the Ashes along with UCB again and uh and so I'm hosting that, So you can find me there just stumbling through jokes and pointing at people in audiences and laughing at them, and.
Speaker 1: Uh, yeah, that's about it.
Speaker 8: I teach at the Brooklyn Comedy Collective online. If you look up Brooklyncomedy dot com that's them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: And then otherwise I'm just kind of haunting the streets a lot. I can't easily be found.
Speaker 4: Great, yeah, no I And then war Report, I gotta say such a great podcast.
Speaker 5: You and Castro are absolutely hilarious.
Speaker 4: It's more like a current affairs like you know, news of the day kind of podcast. It comes like on what every week, you guys had do bonus.
Speaker 8: Every Yeah, every Thursday for sure, and occasionally on Mondays. That's our bonus episode that we still seem to have done. Uh, and people expect and I'm like, I don't know if we understand what bonus means all of us, but uh, yeah, it's me and Stormonte, who's a very funny comedian and he's a very Brooklyn, a Brooklyn boy and just very New York and I have to break him up. That break him up that because he's so Brooklyn and I just gotta it's enough, it's too much.
Speaker 1: So that's that's what we're doing while talking about news stories.
Speaker 4: Well, thanks again, Shilelah, You're the best.
Speaker 5: We really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thank you. This is great, my pleasure.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 8: I just would be sitting in my living room talking about these movies anyway, So.
Speaker 4: There you go. Oh my goodness, love man. I've known her for so long, we have been bros for so long that it's kind of like, I don't know, it's effervescent when I talk to her, and I'm just glad now you know each other.
Speaker 6: That was a hard conversation to even stop talking about Magic Mike because I feel like it really there was so much more in the chamber there. We really, I mean, we could have. Yeah, it was really hard to pull back on that. I mean, we might need to do follow up episodes, honestly, yo, Yo.
Speaker 4: It made me want to change the theme of the podcast just do we want about the Magic Mic franchise.
Speaker 6: So there you go. Frankly the format of the podcast to all of our episodes being about the Magic Mic extended universe. So that was great. Oh god, Okay, moving on, Let's get into our final segment of the show, Employee Picks. This is where we do a film recommendation based on kind of what we talked about in this episode. Did I ever tell you about the chicks picks at Mister Movies at my local video store?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: I love employee Picks, so tell me tell me about it.
Speaker 6: So there was like, you know, the staff picks at my local video store, Mister Movies in Minneapolis, and it was all dudes who worked there, and they were nice men. But my mom was like bothered by this. My mother and so she went in and she was like, you know, you don't have any women on the staff. Picks. It's like five guys recommending action movies.
Speaker 4: Love that.
Speaker 6: And the manager was like, oh my gosh, you're right. To his credit, he was like, oh my gosh, you're right. We need to do something about this. And my mom goes, well, I have an idea. How woul we do a box and women can submit their picks to this box and you can have a chicks Picks row.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 6: He was like, oh, that's great. Yeah, maybe we'll get started on that. And then my mom is like, well, I already made a box for you. So here's your box and you can put it up on the counter. So then like the next week, there was a little you know, on one of the shelves it said chicks Picks with movies recommended by women.
Speaker 5: First of all, you're fired. You're mom is hired to who.
Speaker 4: Host this podcast?
Speaker 8: Me?
Speaker 6: My mom's a pioneer.
Speaker 4: I think it explains a lot about you, to be honest. That is wonderful. She's like a fucking suffragette or something.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 6: Oh my god. Anyways, yeah, that's kind of my you know, part of my film history. You know, as a child, I was probably like twelve when my mom did that.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's like and honestly, were you ever able to create an employee pick at all in any of your jobs?
Speaker 5: Because I take that shit real seriously.
Speaker 6: No, I don't think. I don't think I've had an opportunity to do something like that.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, you should just get a job where you could do it.
Speaker 5: It is so fun.
Speaker 6: So quit this podcast and do something else and have my mom co hosts the podcast with you and staid Okay, got it.
Speaker 4: Of course, all of a sudden, I think we're ironing out the rest of your life here. Sure, But you know, I worked in many record stores. I worked at Tower Records. That was like such a huge responsibility because that was in a very prominent location in the store.
Speaker 5: I mean there are Tower Records, of course.
Speaker 4: And I was like, your mom, I was like, this is such a moment for me as one of the only women that work in a store, a music store. I was like, I'm doing research. I'm gonna do things unexpected. I'm not doing it like the other guys do it. So needless to say, this is the employee picks is such a part of video store culture, so we wanted to kind of replicate something like that.
Speaker 5: Because we just thought it would be really cool totally.
Speaker 6: So imagine this on a shelf in a digital video store somewhere. Yeah, so, Millie, why did you give your your pick first?
Speaker 4: So my employee pick for this week, because we are talking about dry January and drinking and films, is actually about alcoholism. It's kind of a bummer, not gonna lie. But it's a film from nineteen fifty two and it's called come Back, Little Sheiba, directed by the great Daniel Man.
Speaker 5: This is a movie.
Speaker 4: That stars Burt Lancaster and Shirley Booth, who is one of my favorite actresses in classic Hollywood. If you like Shirley Booth, email us at Deer Movies at exactly Rightmedia dot com. We are gonna be friends if you like Shirley Booth. But it's a movie about this married couple. You know, obviously Burt Lancaster Shirley Booth, married couple, and Burt Lancaster is an alcoholic and he's in recovery. And it was one of the first or maybe the first time that alcoholics anonymous AA was ever mentioned in a film, So it kind of has.
Speaker 5: A little bit of a little bit of historical relevance because of that.
Speaker 4: But it's a heartbreaker, man, and I love a fucking fifties weepye.
Speaker 5: I love these types of films.
Speaker 4: There's no like Frederick marsh being a charming, joyous drunk. This is straight up like, I hate my life because I can't have a drink and I don't know if I want to be married anymore, and now I gotta watch my husband feel this way. And it's just it's a bomber of a film. But it is a great film and I feel like it's not talked about enough. So there's that. That's my reck.
Speaker 6: Fabulous, Yeah, fabulous. I haven't seen it.
Speaker 4: I got it.
Speaker 6: I must check it out.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 6: My recommendation since we're talking about drinking, is a movie from twenty twenty. It's a Danish film, so you will be reading subtitles, y'all. It's called Another Round. It's by the filmmaker Thomas Vinterberg. It stars the very hot Mad's Michelson, and it is about these four high school teachers who kind of all sort of have depressing lives. They're friends and they read about this medical guy who says that you actually operate better if you're a tiny bit drunk, like your optimal pH kind of level is if you are a little bit drunk. So they decide to test this out and like are just kind of drunk all the time. And at first it's like fun, Yeah, they feel great all the time, and then it sort of devolves as some of these guys shouldn't be drinking all the time. It's an interesting kind of exploration of alcohol because I think it has a more complex conversation because it's not saying like drinking is bad. It's more like drinking can be bad. If your life is bad and you are drinking a lot, that is bad. But alcohol in it of itself isn't bad, but it can be. And so I don't know, it's kind of an interesting thing because I just feel like sometimes movies exploration of drinking is so cut and dry. If you see someone drinking hard alcohol in a movie, you're like, uh ooh, something bad's gonna happen. That guy's tortured, you know. So I think it's a really interesting movie by a really interesting filmmaker. It won Best International Film at the Oscars. Thomas Vnderberg is a very interesting filmmaker. He comes from Denmark and he was a part of the Dogma ninety five movement. She started with another Danish filmmaker named Lars von Trier, and that was like in the nineties, and they had all these rules for making films. It was like had to be shot on like a video camera with no tripod, no violence. They had all these rules. They were kind of like really art housey movies, and there are some really good ones, like one of his films, The Celebration is really good, even if it is shot on a video camera. But he kind of was like, ah, I don't want to do that anymore, and he stopped making movies. He stopped being like such a pretentious prick. But Another Round is fabulous. Leonardo DiCaprio was supposed to remake it, but I don't know if that's still happening, but I'm checking it out. So anyways, Another Round. You can watch that on Prime it's on if you're a Prime Video I think it's You can stream it on there Peacock Canopy, which is a library app. You can watch movies for free on there. So it's in a lot of places, but check it out. It's a great movie. Another Round from twenty twenty sounds great.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 6: Millie. Oh my god. We recorded our entire first episode and we didn't kill each other by the end of it.
Speaker 4: No, I just fired you and hired her mother.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I was fired a few times replaced by my mom, which was humiliating, but we made it to the end.
Speaker 4: We did, We did. I'm excited this is This is gonna be so fun.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 5: We hope you enjoyed it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, we have so many ideas about what we want to do for this show. This is going to be changing all the time. You know, new segments are coming in. It's going to be a very vibrant show. We're very excited about it. We have so many ideas for it. But one of the ideas I have in the future is we want to give out film advice at the end of our shows. So please right in your questions for us. You know, if you're in need of specific movie recommendations for specific situations, like you're on a date or something and you need a movie to watch, or if you need help navigating a certain director's filmography, we can help.
Speaker 4: Or if you.
Speaker 6: Need a film gripe resolved. We're gonna have film gripes. That's gonna be a big part of the show moving forward, huge part. Please write in at Dear Movies at exactlyrightmedia dot com. We want to, you know, give out advice to the people as movie experts. We want to help you. We want to help people. But you know, you can write in, or even better, you can leave us a voicemail. You can record a voicemail on your phone, keep it under sixty seconds. Please and email that voicemail to Dear Movies at exactlyrightmedia dot com. So we'd love to hear from you people. Please right in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we love hearing your voices. Like, the accents are fantastic. That's like my favorite part.
Speaker 6: Well play it on the show. Yeah, love hearing these accents.
Speaker 5: Also, we have social media.
Speaker 4: We are at Dear Movies, I love you on Instagram and Facebook.
Speaker 5: Just a little fyi, Casey.
Speaker 4: And I are going to be doing a couple Instagram lives once in a while. We're gonna be posting some video. So Instagram is gonna be hot people.
Speaker 6: It's gonna have its own vibe to It's almost like a second show's going on. That's right on Instagram.
Speaker 4: That's right. And because Casey's a filmmaker. It's gonna be in four K digital restorations.
Speaker 6: Yeah, lots of tricky camera moves, dolly shots, Dutch angles, all sorts of stuff.
Speaker 4: We built the rig from the first Evil Dead movie. We're gonna be running through the woods with it.
Speaker 5: So it's gonna be exciting.
Speaker 4: But just wanted us to shut that out as a way to like, you know, engage with the pod a little bit more. And also if you are on letterbox, if you are a letterbox user and you haven't followed us already, our letterbox handles are at Casey Lee O'Brien and at m de Cheriico, and that's where we are. That's where we're hanging out putting down movies.
Speaker 6: That's right. Well, Mellanie, thank you for a wonderful first episodiode. Hopefully many more to come after this.
Speaker 4: Oh I agree. I had such a blast.
Speaker 6: So much fun, so much fun. All right, Well bye, everybody, see you next time.
Speaker 4: This has been an exactly right production hosted by me Milli to Cherico and produced by my co host Kasey O'Brien.
Speaker 6: This episode was mixed by Tom Bryfogel, our associate producer is Christina Chamberlain, our guest booker is Patrick Cottner, and our artwork is by Vanessa Lilac.
Speaker 4: Our incredible theme music is by the best band in the entire world, The Softies.
Speaker 6: Thank you to our executive producers Karen Kilgareff, Georgia hart Stark, Daniel Kramer and Milli.
Speaker 1: To Chercho, we love you.
Speaker 4: Goodbye, bec