Speaker 1: Welcome into the Raves Press Past podcast. It is Tuesday, August twentieth. Today we had a chance to hear from head coach John Harball.
Speaker 2: Just have appreciate the work ethic and the attention to detail, guys being locked in all training camp every day. That's how you make make progress. And I feel like we've come a long way, but we've got a long way to go. And uh, the next part of this starts really right now. We'll go to Green Bay. It'll be a nice practice against those guys and then play the game and then we'll be playing for real.
Speaker 3: So we're ready to go and we'll see where it takes us. What questions you have? Balls practice yet?
Speaker 4: How have you seen is the government is a.
Speaker 2: Blocker down He called a lot of balls today and I know he's a big target obviously as a pass catcher, but as a blocker that's kind of what he's been focusing on. And he's developed quite nicely. I mean, you see him in the games. He's he's more physical than he's ever been. Uh, he's uh, and we're gonna find out because he's gonna be out there blocking.
Speaker 3: And I really have a lot of confidence in him. I think he's going to do really well, David, job of getting you know, that actional on Saturday.
Speaker 5: Would you go back and watch what did you see from him?
Speaker 6: And it kind of what were you expecting versually what you saw?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I kind of I would say, first of all, I thought it was really good. I mean I thought he was physical to a degree I maybe didn't I was hoping for I can I expect him to play like that, but to see it out there the very first game was really neat because he wasn't tentative at all. He was really he's in a good mindset. He was in a you a, you know, a game day mindset, and he hadn't played that much in the last couple of years. So that was quite a statement I think from him that way. Really, the way he's been practicing is the way he played. So that's what you want to see down.
Speaker 7: Did you Philip heed to sort of reach out to extra and help him sort of keep his spirits up after he suffers another major injury.
Speaker 3: Did in two years David last year?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: David?
Speaker 2: Uh, Well, heck, yeah, I mean we we've had I can't tell you the conversations that David and I have had that are just awesome conversations a lot about a lot of things. He's very smart. He's a very deep thinker, kind of a philosopher, you know, he really is. And I learned a lot talking to him. And he's kept his head on straight, he keeps things of perspective. He's got a really strong family, and yeah, he I don't know that I really had to say anything other than the fact that this kind of conversation is good sometime. But he's been in a good place, you know. I think he gets down because he wants to get out there and contribute and he wants to be a part of it. But he's excited to get going.
Speaker 8: John, do you feel you've made the necessary strides or of hopeful strides that you've wanted from the getting of training camp to where you're at right now?
Speaker 3: I do, you know?
Speaker 2: I think I do believe that we're in a good place right now. But this is a moving target, you know. It's it's always evolving type of a deal. It's like life. You never know what's going to come next, and we'll just have to respond as we go. But I do believe we're about as good as place as we can be in right now. For where we're at, the guys have done everything they can possibly do to be as far along as they can be, So I feel great about that as a coach.
Speaker 3: It's good.
Speaker 4: A few days now with George Warhop, what have you seen about the way that he's working with the guys that are just sometimes fresh eyes on the players offer a different perspective than the age.
Speaker 2: Sure, I mean, you know, George is George is a is a very experienced coach. You know, he and Joe go back a long way too. I think he's picked right up. But to make it seamless, you have to be really good. To step into a.
Speaker 3: Role like this at this time is really hard.
Speaker 2: So you've got to be a high, high level coach, I think to be able to do that. And that's why George Warhop was such a just such an opportunity for us, such a blessing that that was available. I mean, I do believe it's a god thing, I really do. So it's going really well. The guys that were at responding really well to him. I think he understands exactly what we're trying to get done. I know he does. And h and he's doing a great job. And then our prayers and thoughts were still with Joe D. I mean, Joe D is making good progress from what I understand talking to his daughters, texting his daughters, but on the on the phone and the information that they're sharing is they're very encouraged by his progress. He's still got some work to do, but he's he's he's a fire man. There's nobody tougher than Joe Dean and things are looking good right now.
Speaker 9: I think your first year in Baltimore's had prschaganda as a second year guy be Grub, the second year guy Jason Brown stepping in as a rookie at center. Either from that experience or just over your years, what have you kind of learned about what it takes to kind of keep an even keel but also assureing some of that development from you on mom at the lines.
Speaker 2: Well, it's such a great point and you look back and it's kind of the nature of what we do. You know, it's nice to have be nice to have twenty two starters out there that you you just they'd been playing and they were all great players, and you knew how they were going to play. And they were kind of self sufficient, improving guys. But that's never the case, right.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I'm excited about these guys, and the exciting thing about that kind of a situation is that the upside is something that's kind of you kind of lean into from an optimistic point of view. You say, what can the these guys be?
Speaker 6: Why?
Speaker 3: Why not be great? You know?
Speaker 2: And that's kind of how I'm looking at these guys right now. I can't wait to see what they develop into. But you know, it's it's not going to be I understand why the concern, you know, I get the questions. We're all gonna find out real soon and it will be an ongoing I think as we go in the season, they're going to continue to get better and better.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 5: Make care you okay we can see the name there.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, they are.
Speaker 6: John.
Speaker 10: I know you've been really high on Zach since you've elevated him over the course of these two preseason games. Is there anything that you've kind of learned as he's taken on the new responsibility to play calling, anything about his management style that struck you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 11: I might.
Speaker 2: I guess the thing I learned is Zach's not afraid to be who he is. You know, he's been He's just been Zach, He's been who he is. He's genuine, He's not trying to be something that he's not personality wise. I think that's what endears him to the guys so much. Very smart, very aware. Like as we were talking throughout the game, I mean you had mentioned about the boots and some of the run fits and things like that. You know, when I'd ask him, I say, what do you see in there? He always he had he was on it. You know, he knew exactly what was going on and where the where the mistakes, and where the good things were. Uh So that was that was great. I didn't I wasn't surprised by that, just as you expected. But he's he's really on top of it.
Speaker 8: Have you seen out of Daniel fall Falle at right guard that gives you confidence in the strides that he's taken and maybe what what are you looking for in his game specifically in this third preseason game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean I think he's done a really good job in terms of past protection. You know, he's he's been in front of his guy. There's a lot of technique things his his room for improvement is really vast because he's so talented and he's naturally able to do so many good things. And then I think when he takes the next step in terms of like just almost an.
Speaker 3: Urgency in the movement.
Speaker 2: With that comes with confidence, you're going to see a more physical player because the physicality is there. You know, he's big, and he can move and he can bend. He's a powerful man and he wants to be good. So I think the upside is pretty immense.
Speaker 12: John, you guys have a joint practice with the Packers off Thursday, and you've pretty much been doing on a yearly for a little bit. Now, what's the biggest benefit in seeing feet practice.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, you have a chance to go against a different style, like, for instance, their offensive line is an upfield penetrating kind of an offensive a defensive line, their defensive line is an upfield penetrating type of affront. They're gonna be hitting gaps and getting up field. We haven't seen that really in two preseason games or in practice, but we are gonna see it in the games.
Speaker 3: The Cowboys are gonna do it, for.
Speaker 2: Instance, So that's something that we need to get ready for so, here's an opportunity to see some a different style.
Speaker 3: That we haven't seen before.
Speaker 2: Plus just the level of intensity getting guys locked in and focused after at the end of a long camp. There's a benefit in that.
Speaker 6: Was it a.
Speaker 9: Conscious choice by you and we've lert to just do the one.
Speaker 6: Day instead of two?
Speaker 3: It was? It was, uh yeah.
Speaker 2: The league's starting to encourage that a little bit too. You know, it seems like, well I think I think I think you're talking about you know, some competitive human you know, and and everybody.
Speaker 3: Wants to win all the time.
Speaker 2: So that practice, you know, intensity gets to a level sometimes where on the second day where it's not as productive as it is on the first day.
Speaker 6: All right, John, you said that pre Sara's game, that Adisa you recheck him for a couple of days or whatever. Is that anything here?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, he's got a soft tissue issue again. You know, it's the other leg, but uh it's not it's not like it was before. It's not the one that's gonna keep him out like it was before. So he's just got to keep working through this. I mean a Lisa, you saw how well he played, right, So it's just a matter of him working into football shape. I think it's just that you think the guy's gonna come out and all of a sudden he's healthy, and it's like boom, he's gonna be one hundred percent. But there's all those practices callous these guys. They get these guys to the point where they can handle the volume, they can handle the load, they can handle the reps, the high level intensity reps, rep after rep.
Speaker 3: So he's gonna work into that.
Speaker 2: We call it football shape, right, He'll have to work into that, and I'm sure he will.
Speaker 1: We also heard from veteran running back Derrick Henry, what.
Speaker 10: What kind of comfort level do you have in this offense but also with your new teammates have been getting out of the last few months, but.
Speaker 11: You don't comfortable? Now, Yeah, I'm right at home. Training camp was was good and we got a lot better. Still getting better, but yeah, uncomfortable and right at home.
Speaker 7: Did you want to have any or maybe in this in this practice where the backers are in one of these games, do you feel like a couple of hits just to get ready for the season. You're like, no, I'm good, I don't I've done that for ten years.
Speaker 3: I don't need it.
Speaker 6: Are you saying like a real content like playing any game?
Speaker 7: Yeah, like the practice or might be some real contact.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm sure real scrimmage against those guys.
Speaker 11: Get some good contact in as far as going against her defense and as far as the game. And I haven't played a preseason game. I thinks it's twenty eighteen, so I mean, I think it's.
Speaker 6: Worked out pretty well. Feel pretty good about it.
Speaker 13: Derek, regarding those joint practices or practice, how do you approach that? I mean, do you look forward to I mean just one day that you're gonna go against the opposition.
Speaker 6: Do you look forward to that?
Speaker 13: What are you trying to get out of it?
Speaker 6: But I think it's fun.
Speaker 11: I mean we've been going against one another for about a about a month now, so we'll getst another jersey, you get the practic against another another team, see some different looks, and you know, uh, kind of give us a good look to see how how far we are, and then things work on as an offense going against a different team. So it's fun and it's some good work.
Speaker 13: So, Derek, in terms of the mesh point with Lamar and some of the Reid options and the leaders are running in the past years. How fast out do you think.
Speaker 3: You guys would be in terms of handling that.
Speaker 5: We haven't really seen it so far.
Speaker 11: I mean when we work on it out here and if there's anything we need to talk about amongst each other, but.
Speaker 6: We do that and yeah.
Speaker 11: So yeah, just just going through and out here running the place and uh, getting the feel for it and executing.
Speaker 6: So that's the big thing. It's making it work.
Speaker 4: So does it feel you just in practice when you running behind?
Speaker 11: Oh, I mean that's something I look I look forward too. So anytime for tuos in front of them, I'm comfortable.
Speaker 6: So I'm good. Gotta make it, gotta make some happen.
Speaker 1: It just had it back to school. It was man, I know you do things back and you're from but how did it feel to get out to the Baltimore community.
Speaker 7: And start making your marking that way?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Uh yeah, I was happy too, And you know, I'm blessed to do those type of things.
Speaker 6: You know, just wanted to get.
Speaker 11: My hands in the community early and uh, you know, I reached out, uh to the organization to see where I could help and they fell out that was a.
Speaker 6: Good area and I'm glad I was able to go out.
Speaker 11: There and help those kids and build 'em to ha T to get them some uh tools to be prepared for the for the school year, and looking forward to doing more.
Speaker 6: Some of these community events.
Speaker 10: Does it get your feeling for how excited the community in Baltimore is to see your debut as.
Speaker 6: A rape play? Yeah, I definitely.
Speaker 11: They love their football, so I love that, So I'm excited to see their excitement.
Speaker 6: For sure.
Speaker 8: You feel that you're more frequently playing out of pistol or shotgun formations than you had the nearest prior, And is there nuances to that that you can describe as challenging to learn or what is kind of feeling?
Speaker 6: No, not at all.
Speaker 11: I mean I ran we ran pistol before, and I was in Tennessee and ran out a shotgun. My biggest thing is doing my job and do my job effectively and being efficient.
Speaker 4: Is there any part of you that's kind of itching at this point to see what it looks like in a real game with a new team, you know, do you do you have a good idea of what that's gonna look like come week one? Or are there still questions kind of.
Speaker 11: In your mind. Yeah, I mean I'm definitely excited to play and can't wait until that time comes.
Speaker 6: But it's all about polishing.
Speaker 11: And getting everything down and continue to continue to get better until that time comes. But I'm sure everybody's out here itching to to get the week one.
Speaker 6: For sure.
Speaker 4: You're not out here stick farming your teammates.
Speaker 6: Nah. I don't do that. Nah.
Speaker 12: Nah you practice your stick farmer?
Speaker 4: Is that just completely natural? So?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it comes natural.
Speaker 11: I've been doing since I started playing ball, and it's got more effective. Uh the h the higher I went, the more I've uh elevated my game is from high school, college to pro.
Speaker 6: So I think it's something that that comes natural. But I wouldn't do it to my teammates.
Speaker 11: Now, Nah, not at all. No, we have some good battles through the years, so I think that's done.
Speaker 8: To know with.
Speaker 5: Derek.
Speaker 9: Have the coaches told you guys that they expect you to write bikes to the practicing green day a parents?
Speaker 11: You know, they haven't told us about it, but I I mean I saw it uh on Instagram.
Speaker 6: I mean I've s seeing it through the years. Uh.
Speaker 11: That's their Uh, that's their tradition. But if we have to think the kids are involved, So if it's a kid, I don't care. I mean I love doing STFF like that, especially with kids bikes. H I haven't in the why so I might be a little rested. Kid have to help me stay balanced, But no I should I should be fine. So this scene seems like some fun they do, you know, for the community and the kids, so have no problem doing it.
Speaker 1: Lastly, we heard from third year outside linebacker David Ajaboya.
Speaker 6: Smiling obviously. Yeah.
Speaker 10: How good as it then to you know, be out doing what you've loved to do after after the.
Speaker 3: Wait so long.
Speaker 14: Yeah, there's no better feeling, honestly, you know, that's what I do for a living. I enjoy I love competing and you know, to be out here with the best of the best man, you know, it's it's a dream come true.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Again, has it surprised you that you've been able to come out and you look like yourself again right away? What we've seen after going third through such a tough dream to get to this point.
Speaker 5: No, it doesn't surprise me.
Speaker 14: I know the type of player I am, you know, and uh, you just got to go out there and you know, put it on tip honestly, you know, and I know the work I put into, you know, so you know, the work always come to like.
Speaker 10: It'sok a while last year, before we found out that you weren't to be able to play for us, a year out could take us a little bit through, you know, the steps of of you know, what it was like to kind of maybe try to keep hope alive as long as possible and keep pulled out hope that you were gonna play last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 14: Yeah, So it just started off as a springing ankle got rolled up on and uh at the Indie game and then uh, just some swelling came up at my knee and no one really knew what was going on.
Speaker 5: So we just wanted to swelling to go down.
Speaker 14: And then we got an MRI and uh we just you know, made made the best medical decision.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 14: Uh, I definitely could have played, but uh for the long run, you know, career wise, and just you know, for my best interest, teams best interest, you know, just go ahead and get it fixed so I could be back hundred percent like I am.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 8: Were there days when it was tough to keep your spirits up because I mean two years in a row.
Speaker 7: You you can't play the way that you know what you want to and kind of who helped you through that?
Speaker 5: Oh man, stay prayed up.
Speaker 14: I have a very strong family, you know, I have a good you know base around here, you know da fe It's like my brother beaks like my better So I live through them, you know, just them three things man, you know, God, family, friends like I really honed in on that. And of course the work man. You know, nothing comes easy, so I just put my head down to work. That's all I know. So you know, I'm right back.
Speaker 12: Talking a little bit about your work baby with Chuck Smith and deveuilding a pass rush plan.
Speaker 13: We saw a great spin move the other night. Maybe even take us through that and give us a little inside football.
Speaker 14: Yeah, man, Chuck Man, that's the guru. You know, he really knows what he's talking about.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 14: You know, everything he says comes to light, you know, regarding just moves to use, when.
Speaker 5: To use it, how to use it and all.
Speaker 14: We're all just good listeners honestly, you know, because you know he will look over to my on the sideline, you know, in practice, and he'll really walk us through a move to do on the sideline we execute, it ends up working, you know, so you know it's just a testament to him and uh his knowledge and he passes it down to all of us, and uh it's working.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 13: It maybe any keys you work off on that spin move specifically that you're you're looking for the opponent to do something before you.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I just edge edge.
Speaker 14: We I was working on edge a lot, and uh got a good get off pressure on the left side. So I knew, you know, first down I seen they were in a past stance, so I know in his mind he's thinking that he just got beat on the edge. So as soon as I seen him jump up, you know, just get him over.
Speaker 9: What when you're going through this process to get back out here, what when did you feel like you your old self, I guess, or have your Yeah, I.
Speaker 14: Guess yeah, yeah yeah. So uh you just shout out to the doctors.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 14: In terms of like the ramp up, you know, there's definitely a slow ramp up leading up to you know, playing my debut game back, and uh yeah, every stage of the way I felt as I was supposed to, you know, and uh, like I said, man, just shout out to the doctors. And the training staff man they got me right, yes, man.
Speaker 8: Projection for you to play in the first preseason game, was that kind of what you were hoping? Or did you get news that more medically cleared? And is that part of the process initially?
Speaker 14: Uh, you got to ask the doctor, my surgeon all that, you know.
Speaker 5: They I just do as.
Speaker 14: I'm told, And uh, they had a plan in place. I know that for sure. And I was clear for the second game and I went on and did my thing.
Speaker 4: We talked about making the decision that the best and the best interested team and up yourself to go ahead and have the surgery last year. How hard of a deliberation was that for you personally, considering you'd already missed your year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, it was tough.
Speaker 14: You know, Like I said, that's what I do for a living, so to to not be able to do that, you know, and kind of being out of your control. You know, that's why you just lean on God, Dean, on your family, you know, people around you, and just know that everything will work out for good.
Speaker 10: Even though you know it's been a long two years of recovery. Ravens people getting the roster, I mean, they still have a lot riding on you being very successful this year? What does it mean to you that the team keeps the expectations high for your performance?
Speaker 5: And man, it's no better feeling than that.
Speaker 14: You know, we all want to be you know, feel like we're special, feel like you know, we're dependent on and you know it's on me to put into work to make that you know, vision come to life. So it's a blessing man. You know, everybody wants to be wanted, you know, and to know that this team wants me and wants me to be successful, you know, it's a blessing man.
Speaker 10: Think but obviously you have a lot of confidence in yourself, but knowing how hard you work to get back, how.
Speaker 12: Much did you need to see tangible results from all that hard work like you did on Saturday?
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, I mean that's I just can trou why I can.
Speaker 14: You know, the way I practice very hard, you know, the way I study very hard, I expect it to translate to the field. So you know, I just, uh, what I can't control is you know, the the the practice field. You know, I go out there do my thing and then come game there just let it loose and the results wo be data do.
Speaker 7: You see almost any national what prediction of what the Ravens are gonna be like this year? They have strengths and weaknesses.
Speaker 3: Most will say pass rush.
Speaker 7: That's a question marks.
Speaker 3: What's your reaction to that?
Speaker 14: M man? I'm I'm focused on the Ravens, you know, and just what we got in here. There's a lot of noise outside that I can't control, you know, cause Harbaugh can't control, you know, so to whoever said that in that's their opinion.
Speaker 5: You know, we just control.
Speaker 14: We can work hard every day in practice and you know we'll take care of itself.
Speaker 10: They do what we wa We will watch your practice.
Speaker 4: It's obvious how much fun that you're having out on the practice field has Has the injuries impacted that? Did that give you a different appreciation of the game?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 14: Man, honestly just kind of like I said, have my brothers like Dafa and Beaks and you know, trave like I was living through them. You know, I couldn't do myself, So I knew that when I came back. You know, I'm a cherish every moment. You know, you really never know when it's gonna be a last you know, uh testament to even Zo or coordinator. You know, he just had the year of his life. You know, you never know when it's gonna be a last snap, so just cherish every moment. You know, I'm in a very blessed position playing the NFL for one of the best organizations. So you're every dawn out here man just smiling through it and uh, just making my best day.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. Make sure you subscribe. Also head over to the Lounge feed and subscribe there as well. Thanks for listening. Talk with you again on Thursday after joint practices in Green Bay