Speaker 1: Coach, the energy out there felt different. What changed for the team today?
Speaker 2: It was the new game day scratches from the California Lottery players.
Speaker 3: Everything.
Speaker 2: Those games sent the team's energy through the roof.
Speaker 1: Are you saying it was the off field play that made the difference on the field.
Speaker 2: Hey, little play makes your day, and today it made the game. That's all for now, coach, one more question.
Speaker 4: Play the new Los Angeles Chargers, San Francisco forty nine ers and Los Angeles Rams scratchers from the California Lottery. A little play can make your day. Peace made responsibly. Must be eighteen years or older to purchase late or claim.
Speaker 5: All Right, guys, welcome back Earnie a Lisia episode fifteen weeks two. That's my favorite number.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the trust free will.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we need to play for Golden State.
Speaker 3: That was your guy. Yeah that's a fact.
Speaker 5: That's a fact. So yes, you know. Once again, thank you guys for rocking with us. We appreciate you know, thank you for your support, all your encouraging words.
Speaker 3: DM.
Speaker 5: So today is a very very very special episode because everybody's been asking us to cover stocks.
Speaker 6: Can we what do we do? Can you teach us about it what should we invest in?
Speaker 5: Yeah, everybody's been asking us to cover stocks. So you know, real estate is real trendy right now. Everybody on Instagram and all over social media and YouTube, everybody's real estate investor. And it's cool, it's encouraging because you know, we need to invest in real estate. But nobody's really talking about stocks really, right, And that's one of the ways where most of the wealth in this country has been generated for generations in the stock market, right, ownership of companies. So we want to educate you guys on every area of finance and provide information so hopefully you know you can take that and make some money with it.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: So so today we have an expert in the field and stock market field, friend of ours, friend of ours. So I'll give a quick backstory, right, So Quainn Martin, we started off rivals something like playing basketball, playing basketball, a cross crosstown rivals and you know, like myself, he went on to play Division one basketball and had a great career in college and he went to finance after college. He'll tell his own story. But you know, I always see Q all the time I was from Q. I see him all the time in the gym or health the end met and he always like, all this story, you didn't you didn't say it right, or you need to need to add some more to it, so you know, it's still soft and still so he's real knowledgeable. When I see him in the gym, he tells me these stories about all of these companies. I'm like, how do you notice stuff like this? Stuff that I don't even know when I'm in finance. So I'm like, we got to get you on the podcast to tell this to the people. So we did that. He's got him on the podcast. So yes, he's he's an expert in the field. No Series seven for anybody who's not familiar that allows you to sell securities. He's very knowledgeable about stock market worked for a lot of the top companies in Wall Street. So so yeah, man, thanks for coming.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you guys for having me. Man, it's a pleasure.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, can you just tell you telling people your story because you was telling us off off here a little bit about how you got into you know, finance and or Wall Street and all that, and it's actually encouraging. So can you just.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have a bit of a I want to say movie script way I was, I want to say, in high school the career c student, not because I wasn't intelligent, but because basketball is kind of a crutch for me. Like I was really really good at basketball. So it was like, all right, I'm going to the league, right, Like you think to yourself, I'm all stayum averaging twenty and you're going to do these things and you're gonna go to the league being next to Lebron And that's not the reality for most kids, but your dream big. When I got to college, I spoke with my advisor about twenty minutes or so, and she hadn't looked at my profile yet. We just were just having a general convo and she then looks down after twenty minutes and goes, you got a lot more intelligent than your grades would lead me to believe. And the wonderful thing about college is that it starts back at zero. And for me, that reset things and I took school a lot more serious than I did in high school. When I was in college, and that opened some doors. Being a captain of the team, I was able to go to some dinners to represent the team, and being there I would meet people and they would get me business cards from different aspects, right, architecture and accounting and law, And through all of that, I ended up going to a couple of different scholarship dinners and a gentleman who worked on Wall Street with ex that's what a player goes, Hey, you remind me of myself at your age. But I don't know how bad you you want it, and I don't really know what you want to do. But are you interested in finance? It's very similar to sports. And I go, yeah, it's cool. You know, I'm twenty one, sounds good looking, dressed nice, and I was a marketing major. I was a business major, you know, so financearching on my radar as a whole, but business and everything else was so it kind of stuff together. He said, listen, I want you to call me every day for a month at five in the morning, not five oh one, not four fifty nine five on the dot. So I called him every day for a month at five in the morning, and I got down on the Wall Street and I got an internship, and I was able to work and really get a feel for the industry and the business and fell in love with it. And it's very similar to Will Smith puit of happiness because at that time, this is rec real stuff. At that time, I had one suit, I had a Sean John shirt with the French cuffs. I didn't know how to tie tie, and I didn't have a shave up. Looked like you're having this. I didn't belong. But my basketball competitiveness did not allow me to quit or not worked my potential and that opened a lot of doors and kind of led me to where I am here today and it's been a blessing.
Speaker 5: No, that's that's a dope story because when you said you had to call every day for five o'clock in the morning, first of all, I'm not even up the five o'clock nine people. But you know, that just shows And I'm pretty sure that the reason why that gentleman told you to do that is, you know, people just test you sometimes, right and they see like, okay, how serious are you want it? And people always say like I want to do that. It's like when Derek, we had Derek episode eleven, that was a great episodef They might an't check it out, but he pretty much said that people want to get rich with contingencies. They don't really want to put the work in. Right, it sounds good to start a business or to be successful, but they're lazy. They don't want to they don't want to put the work in.
Speaker 6: That's what I was telling I was telling C, like, this is the premise for earn your leisure, Like all the hard work that you've put in, those things that they've tested you to do, that sweat equity that no one sees, right, they just see the end result.
Speaker 3: But you've earned what you've done, you know what I mean. So that's dope.
Speaker 5: You gotta work, you gotta work. So all right, So Earner LIS is kind of like the college course every week. So this week is gonna be about stocks, and we're gonna break it into three segments and we're gonna do like a beginner's one on one. Then we're gonna do more advanced, and then we'll just take it to the next level on the third chapter. So I'll start the conversation if we're talking about stocks. This is how I kind of explain stocks when I teach it to my students. That it's kind of like a giant pizza pot, right, with like a million different slices, and then each slice represents a share of a company, right. And then if you buy one slice of Nike, now you're part owner of Nike.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: And then obviously the more slices that you buy in the pie, you have a larger ownership of that pie.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: But all publicly traded companies, that's on you know, the stock market, anybody can become an owner, and by buying ownership, whether it's in Snapchat or Facebook or Google, now you're a part owner of that company. And if the company does well, then the stock price goes up. If it doesn't do well, stock price goes down. And that's kind of like a real easy way to understand it. But I think that's kind of my take on it.
Speaker 3: I think that's like the baseline premise of it, like right, like it's we want to own shares, like we know what shares are, then we want to delve into Okay, what are we owning? Why are we owning? Right? We got the how? Right? We can go to different places be an e trade and share a builder and schwab.
Speaker 5: And can we just talk about that because a lot people might not know. I'm glad you brought that up because I get that question sometimes too, Like how do you buy stock. So it's relatively easy to do now, right, Like they have apps like Robinhood, like you said, Scotch Trade, e Trade, stuff like that. We can just go online and create a using ain't password and you know, the link it to your bank account and you can just buy stock. That part is relatively easy to do. But the next part is what people stumble because the thing that I think people have problems with stock is that, Okay, they know how to do it, but what stock do I buy? Right? It's kind of like just throwing darts at the board blind. So what you end up just randomly picking Netflix hoping it goes up right. So, like you you have something interested in, you said to us, as far as like when looking at stock, it's good to know, like what you're interested in? Can you just talk about that?
Speaker 3: I think the biggest thing for me to help me learn was picking areas of interest because the knowledge sticks. Right. We all had classes in school that we didn't like, Like we didn't like I like earth science and I really like science. Like it didn't stick even though like you know, you pass the class, get a bad or whatever, you ain't get in the class, right, but the information didn't stick. With me because it wasn't an interesting topic and you said to get yeah, you kind of want to get through it in this forum, right. I want to pick something that I'm interested in because when I read it, I'm going to retain it. I'm gonna hold on to it. I'm gonna build on top of it. So you're kind of an architect, right, I say. My model for myself every day is that I'm the architect of my legacy, right, and every day I'm putting a brick down from my legacy because you don't get to tell people to say you're not here. So the same thing goes forward every other place of life, where it's like, all right, I'm the architect of my portfolio. I'm the architect of my knowledge base. I'm the architect of whatever is I'm doing. I'm building and it's never gonna be finished. Right, It's like a skyscraper. You're just gonna keep on building on top of building. Your interest is what's gonna lead you to adding more bricks. Because if you're interested in tech, well somehow you'll probably end up in media, right, And if you're interested in that, you might end up in telecom and all so on, and so forth right, and all of a sudden, you have this wide knowledge base because you started here, but your interests help you build more bricks to kind of build your mental skyscraper, if that makes sense. So I always said it start there because you want to own this actual stuff, right, Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, Google, We want the sexy names. It'll go to your friends and say, hey, yeah, you know I owned Facebook, right and sexy everybody wants to own that. But the most important thing is starting off with interest so that you can build a knowledge base and you can start to build your own mental skyscraper that's going to hopefully take you places financially and mentally where you're growing in both spaces.
Speaker 5: So that's like Warren Buffett like his approaches. He invests in companies that he understands, right. So I always tell kids, like once again in the class, like okay, what do you have on your feet? Everybody that has Nike or Adidas, right, So it's like, Okay, you understand the brand because you spend all your money on it, right, So it's not like it's not foreign to like, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out Okay, Kanye just did a deal with Adidas, or Beyonce just did a deal with a didas Adidas is hot right now, or Nike Lebron signed he got Jordan's coming out. So these are things that we understand and we don't have to be a stock market analyst to know that I'm already investing money in these companies by buying Yeah, why not in the actual company in the.
Speaker 6: Sense you're you're making the trend, right, So there's a reason why that company would up, whether it be like the iPhone, right it would raise applestock, or if Nike's putting out a new product or do you just put out a new product.
Speaker 3: We are the trend makers, you know what I mean? So, like that was one. That's one of the key things we say.
Speaker 6: So after we tell them, hey, this is what a share is, the next thing is like investing put money in what you already are invested in.
Speaker 3: So if it's arising as your phone.
Speaker 6: Company, then maybe you should have stock in that, or if it's Sprint whoever it is, right investing yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's the biggest thing, right, Like we want to understand what we invest in. Like, no one likes an investment where you kind of don't understand what's going on, and it's kind of like gambling. Now it's not an investment. Now you're just gambling. And for all that you can go put their money on black and A see. I think I hope for the best. But when look at these companies, it's very key to understand why a company goes up or why a company goes down. The stock market is very similar to fashion. Right, I'm willing to pay the extra twenty dollars for Nike as opposed to Undam or why because it's Nike is a little bit cooler, right, And that's the thing you're paying for. I call it social equity. What I have on and what I'm dressed in. I have on Nike, Adidas, I have on Gucci, I have on Product. There's a reason why those items are priced in those spaces. They know people are buying, right, and we all know it's the same factory that makes some and they just put a tag on on. But you're willing to spend one hundred dollars more for this tag, right than the other tag because you want the social equity of somebody saying, okay, he looks good, Okay, I see him, and that's what you're buying. So you have to also know why this company's going up, why it's going down. And that goes back to interest, right, sweat equity. I need to now read You said.
Speaker 5: That you have to learn how to read and know the interest. Okay, you're interested in one thing, but now how do you actually examine to see if this is actually worth buying or not?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: So you can read, but like what do you read? How do you know if something is actually worth flying or not?
Speaker 3: Social equity the social It's kind of a term I coined myself because I always look shopping. Yeah, that's not sure? Is it something I look like go shopping? Or just in life? Right? What kind of car you drive? And what kind of house do you live in? What town do you live in? What do you have in your house? People are very much into the social aspect, right, Like social media, you don't even really see the highlights. So it's like ESPN Top ten over again, right, No one ever kind of sees the grind and the failure and the ups and the downs and the ebbs and the flows. Right, we just see somebody pop up and they have all this stuff. How'd you get it right, but we don't care what the social equity says. I want that now, but you don't understand what that person went through to get or how they got, or they could be lying whatever it is. The idea is that people want to feel accepted. No one ever wants to be the dumbest person in the room. People are k with being the second dumbest person in the room because he's like, well you dumb, or so you know what, I with him being dumb. I'm not the numbest person in the room, right, But no one ever thinks past that. And so the idea is to get people to critically think. Because a lot of the things that we do habitually on a day to day basis, these are our habits, right. We don't ask any questions. Your mom says, when you grow up, brush your teeth in the morning, why not the afternoon. We were never not programming the question. Things are program just to accept them the way they are. That's not that stock market works. A stock could be a goodbye, and it could be going down right for other reasons that have nothing to do with why you think it should go down or why I think it should go down.
Speaker 5: So that's the part that I'm getting at. So what could make it, you know, broad range? What can make a stock go up? What can make a stock go down? Other than what's obvious to the naked.
Speaker 3: Eye or something like that. No, it's just perceptional. Like think about the market, right, This is all a gazi. Right, So as a CEO will get certain bonuses if a stock has certain peaks, right, this is okay, you're the CEO of ABC company, and they'll say you listen, if you can get the shares up to thirty dollars a share and hold it around this range for four months, we'll give you ten million dollars and then so on and so forth with getting the share price up. But it's all kind of like a figazzi. Why is it that price? Why is up? Wise? Down? Right? Forgets supply and demand and volume. A lot of it's just perception of the market. It's what the market perceives, what big money perceives, what somebody thinks, right, we get information. Now, if you own three shares at Apple and you like their third quarter earnings call, he owns one hundred million dollars Apple and he hates it. Who has more effect on how the stock goes, he does because he has more equity in the stock, so he has more say so in terms of how it moves. Even though you might be right with your three shares, he might be rolling in his perception right. So all this stuff is perception based, and that's why the sweat equity of actually reading and engal from yourself the subject matter of interest is going to help you understand the company. And if you understand Apple, it's going to be easy to understand Google, It's going to be easier to understand Amazon. It's going to be easier to understand any other kind of tech brand because the model of how they distribute their products, their ideas, and their messages they're not like the same same, but they're really similar, and it's going to help you pick up on ideas. Facebook used and tactic called a little bighorn right, and they went into Texas. They went to University of Texas and said, hey, we want to give y'alls Facebook. The University of Texas said not, We're University of Texas. We're good. So they went to Texas A and M Texas State, SMU every school in Texas around and gave them Facebook to the point where students at Texas said, Yo, why we have Facebook? And the Texas was just forced to do business with Facebook. That happens in business all the time, Right, It's something we don't pay attention to. But these triggers and levers to happen. You'll start to notice as you read. And I said, you build the brick, right, you're building when you get to the second floor, you go, I get that. Now I can now read tea leaves. I've seen this coming, right, I see what possibly can happen. I don't know what's going to happen, but I can have an idea based on how well I know it. You play ball, if I come down, I go in and out. I'm either gonna cross or I'm gonna go straight. So as a defender, you know what I'm gonna do, or have an idea so you can react a little faster. Right, it's the same thing that we use every day.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna go backwards just a little bit because you said reading and that's important. On the last episode, on episode fourteen, we talked about the importance of reading and a lot of times we get discounted because we're not reading.
Speaker 3: The catcher and the Rye.
Speaker 6: Right, what publications should we be reading if we're trying to invest in the South market?
Speaker 3: I think the Wall Street Journal is good to read. Barns is a little bit of advanced, but Barons is a good place to start to read. I think Financial Time is a good place to read. I think the economists, even though it's not solely finance stock base, it gives you a premise of outside the scope of how we think. Because we think domestically, right, we think about what affects America and when you're dealing with stocks and companies, these are global companies, right, So how does Europe affect this company? How does China affect this company? How does India affect this company? We don't think like that. We think, okay, well you have a Verizon service, so you figure I'm going to invest my money in Verizon, right, because but Verizon's a global brand. So what's going on in Australia? What's going on here? When you look at the country like India, they have a billion people? Right? How many people on Indy do you think have a cell phone? I'm gonna say.
Speaker 5: Fifty million, yeah, something small enough, ten.
Speaker 3: Million, one hundred, like eight million, hundred and nine million people and a billion. So it's an arms race between Walmart and Apple. The boyst country gets to India because they're building the middle class. Feel like the same thing's happening in China.
Speaker 6: I we spoke off the game about China Mobile and it was like, they're trying to build so much infrastructure because they almost have two billion people.
Speaker 3: Right, But it's a race to the middle class. Right. And but when you look at the company on a broad scale, and I look at it like a company and I have like Netflix, and I said, okay, do really well. They have a lot of subscribers. We understand how it works, but they haven't really touched Europe or other countries, so there's growth there. That's what gets you interested, right, And those are the kind of things when you start to read about companies you go kind of interested. Now now I'm interested because I know if they're doing well here, there's an opportunity here.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: All we want in life is options, the same thing everywhere else. Right, I want the option to go out to eat. I want to have options, but I want to eat here here here, I want to have that option or I want an option. What kind of calling jobs I want to out eat, Do I want to bends? Do I want right? I want that option? That's who if we work for We work to have options.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: So the same thing in the market is that understanding. These companies now pull levers, and the more you understand what you're digesting and investing in, the more options and you'll have. Now it's a slow reward. This thing isn't a I'm gonna put money in on Monday and be rich on Wednesday. This is a character choice when you're talking about starting from scratch, right in terms of billing your portfolio. So now you might not see the siege of labor, right. It might go to your kids, right, Or it might be something that is a passion project and you can only fund so much. We have to be realistic, like everybody doesn't have one hundred thousand thrown to the market or a million. You start winning thousand here, one thousand there. So you have to be patient with it and be patient with your own growth, the same way that we're patient in life with different things. That's gonna lead us into a very interesting story.
Speaker 5: Ye all right, So yeah, so now you got the you know, the groundworks that was a lot. We're going now we're gonna go into the hot topics of the day. All right, So now we're going to go into some hot topics because everybody's been talking about the stock market recently for a couple of different companies, lifting Google specifically, a couple others.
Speaker 3: Pinterest is another one, Pinterest.
Speaker 5: But everybody's interested in lifting Google, they just well lift IPO and Uber is about the IPO. Right, So everybody's been hitting us up, like you, can you talk about Lyft? Can you talk about what Ibo? Should we buych you? You're not so First of all, we're not here to give you stock advice. We're just here to give you information and then from the information you can, you know, do whatever you want. Right, so Q all right? The first question is that IPO. Right, A lot of people will hear this term, but they're not They don't fully even understand.
Speaker 3: What itself gotcha. So it's an initial public offering.
Speaker 6: A lot of times we see the evaluation for a company, Yeah, and like, is that how the process they get the numbers?
Speaker 3: Well, the evaluation can come from a multitude of things. The valuation. You can look at a company and think that the company's worth thirty billion. You can look at a company and thinks the company's worth ten billion. Right. Everybody has different metrics on what they value stuff. And again the evaluation is from without looking inside. Right, this is just on the outside of your house, like the appraisal, right, So it's appraising you. So the evaluation could be correct, could not.
Speaker 5: Be because I was gonna say, because right now, uber is possibly they look at a hundred billion.
Speaker 3: Somewhere in the realm, they're gonna come up.
Speaker 5: With a high ve It might be one of the higher ones, a hundred let's say, one hundred billion dollars valuations what they're looking at. And they've never made a profit. No, So that's another thing, right, lifts never made a profit.
Speaker 3: So that part of it is like basically, once you go an IPO and you haven't made a profit, that clock starts ticking. Now you got to make it appeal, right, and they'll give you some quarters to kind of get your feet wet stuff together. Right, But eventually, now you're open to investors and public investors and other institutions and hedge funds who all have different motives. You might be a long term investor, he might be a hedge from looking to make a quick buck or make him look to make a power play. Right, And that kind of gets into the market if you aways want to think about it, like the ocean, right, you got sharks, and you have fish, and you have whales, and you have eels, and you have seals. You have all these different creatures. They all have different purposes, right, the octopus saying they all just want to live their life in the ocean. They want what they want, right. The eel's not worried about what the shark's doing, and the shark's not worried about what the coyfish is doing. They're all just living in the same atmosphere. But they have different purposes. And that's a stock market when you start to get into the exchange and all these different investors, right, that's a deeper dive when you're getting into this IPO market. The company's doing it because they feel like with the extra cash, they'll be able to take their company to the next level, the same way that you might take a home equity loan out because you feel like you take your house to the next level. You'll raise evaluation in your house by adding the bathroom or adding the kitchen or adding something to your home, right and eventually going to pay that money back because that's a debt. Right, they're offering equity, that's debt. They owe money. Money. They using other people's money to take themselves to the next level, the same way as people we take loans and credit cards to take ourselves to the next level. Companies do. Right, we're all owned. We're the CEOs of our own companies every day. Right, So you're balance, youet of what you do on a daily basis, you're the CEO. You are Rashaw as a CEO of Rashard Co. So decisions you make on a daily basis the same way as CEO makes decisions for his company. So you start to look at it like that, it all kind of connects together. You know, You're like, okay, I understand why they would do this now because he's moving in the best interest the same way that you would do that, right.
Speaker 5: Like so then also all right, but so snapchat, right can we talk? They still haven't made a profit, okay, and they say that they might never make a profit, right yep. So okay, So these companies come into the stock market like Uber and Lifting never made a profit. But from from my perspective and the easiest way to explain, people will still give them a benefit of the doubt because they believe in the business model anything. One day they will turn a profit, right, But sometimes they don't turn a profit, like Snapchat.
Speaker 3: So now it comes down to potential. Right, at some point in time, you get too old to have potential right, like basketball life, right, Like if I don't get it right at seventeen years old, it's like, well, you have your whole life ahead of you, and I don't get it right at twenty four, where you're still young. I don't get it right at twenty six, Hey you kind of on your last legs. I don't get it right at thirty five, Like fam, you just didn't figure it out. That's that's what I say, Right, like a dud, don't make it thirty. At a certain point in time, it's the potential is going right. I can't use that as a as an excuse as to why I'm not accomplishing something. And so except all these things in the stock marketing and all these things in life kind of tying together. So yeah, on potential, I'm going to invest in this company because it can be fruitful if I was investing. That's what the person's thinking. Right, they're saying, Okay, I get the premise. I understand the business concept. I understand how they make money, how they plan to make money, what they're going to do. First part. Second part is are they going to execute? Right? We understand now, but do I believe in the execution? And then if they don't execute, what's my next move? Everybody never, nobody ever plans a fail like people always plan for everything to go right, and that's not how life works. Right when I was a kid, Okay, I'm gonna get my degree at twenty two, I've be married at twenty five, make six figures at twenty six, I'm gonna have a kid at thirty. Like that never happens.
Speaker 7: This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure, they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieve their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to safe plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money Boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group PNC Bank National Association member fdic.
Speaker 3: Erners What's Up?
Speaker 7: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds Odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most Ready to see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 8: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday. How can you find amazing candidates fast? Easy? Just use Indeed. Stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash pod Katz thirteen. Just go to Indeed slash pod kat z thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need.
Speaker 3: Life that punches you in the mouth and you know everybody's journey is different. So so I said, this stuff is all kind of like life based because at the end of the day, these journeys these companies are on are independent their own, Like the CEO's job is to do a certain job with the company and raise capital or to take the shares to a certain price. And Adidas in a Nike, though they are competitors, they might have different you know, operating procedures or different goals of what they want to do. And that comes down to like looking actually in the company at what they're doing well, what they're not doing well, and how their success or failure basically affects the ecosystem with which they live in, which is the stock market. For example, foot Locker derives a lot of the success from Nike, right, Nike's the big biggest shoe retailer in terms of sneakers. Twenty seventeen, Nike had a very bad fashion year. They didn't hit on a lot of different things right, so they had a down year that took foot Locker stock from like seventy to thirty bucks to drop like sixty five percent because they're tied to that. And then on top of Nike not having a good year and an affecting Footlocker. Nike said, We're now going to directly distribute shoes from Amazon. So the market said, oh, you guys are definitely in trouble now, right, And now you look at foot Locker and they've kind of built themselves back. And Nike had a better year the two seventies hit and the whole they have a bunch of different shoe lines and clothing lines that hit that did well, and that ecosystem, right, they're doing well affected foot Locker. So the same I said, it's like an ocean, right, the ecosystem and how we do things affects everybody. It's important to understand Nike, because I'm gonna understand Addis. It's going to help you understand under Armour, It's going to help me understand foot Locker. It's going to help me understand Sketchers, and help me understand all these other companies that are in the same ecosystem on a daily basis. And that will now affect what I want to invest in, if that's what I want to invest in.
Speaker 5: So would you recommend like specialty? All right? Like, So if I wanted to get started in a stock market, right, Should I just focus my energy and say, okay, I remember ready interested in tech. Let me just focus on tech so I can learn everything about tech that I need to know Google, Amazon, Facebook, all of these companies, or focus my energy on fashion or because then it's like okay, once I'm master that, like you said, now one tech company is kind of related to the next tech company, and I'll be able to read those publications. I'll kind of have my niche. Or would you just recommend like broad range learning much about as much things as possible.
Speaker 3: Like I said before, I'm a big proponent of read what you're interested in. That's the best way because you're gonna get excited to read, Like I don't think people get excited to read. Like you're not excited to read certain stuff like don't want to read the Apple contracts when it pops up and it's like you don't see what you're saying. Yes, I like saying, yo, we're gonna take information, we're gonna sell it here, and like okay whatever, agree, agree, agree, Right. No one likes to read, So the biggest thing is is to do the things that you don't like to do it you're not comfortable that's when you know you're growing. Like if I if I'm doing stuff and I'm not comfortable doing it because I don't have a comfortability, so I won't do it all the time. I need to do it because I'm grown. I don't need to keep on doing the same things that I'm comfortable with. Right, But the comfortability is and the interest.
Speaker 6: Just from a teaching standpoint, that comes with endurance, Like reading, endurance is a thing, right like the first time you read an article, maybe you do it for five minutes, and then that'xt time you do it for ten minutes, and then by you know, a.
Speaker 3: Month or six months, now you're reading for an hour. Right. You got to build that thing up. You gotta train yourself to do it, all right.
Speaker 5: So now, yeah, we gave you some some backgrow on it. So now we're gonna go into the next level of how you guys can actually get your foot in the game and and and start to make some money because it's one thing to learn about it, but it's another thing that actually profit from it, all right. Gosh, and now we gave you some background info on the stock markets, how stocks work, but now you know it's one thing as I said before to provide information, it's another thing that actually use the information. So now we want to give you some some tools that you can use yourself as far as you know to get your feet wet and investing. So all right, we talked about platforms, right, So there's there's a there's a there's a lot of different platforms how somebody can invest. Right. One of the apps is Robinhood, Right, what what's what? What's your favorite? Like what's your what?
Speaker 3: So it depends right like do you want to do? Do you bank with Chase and then you can do through JP Morgan Chase if you wanted to do it right? Do you bank through Bank of America? You do? Marion Lynch. If you bank through What's far you do? So there's platforms there. There's Scott Trade, there's e Trade, there's TD, there's Robinhood, there's Acorn, there are Glutton, your place.
Speaker 5: Acorn because somebody asks about Acorn Acorn as you uniqu platform.
Speaker 3: So Acorn is the company, if I'm not misinforms a company that I think action Cusher is a part of where they take the change when you use it and they buy shares with your change, and it's a way to get exposures to the market. Right, So like the game that we're playing is all about exposure. You don't know what you don't know, right, So then reading exposure these sites exposure. Now you're exposed to all these sites we're mentioning. Go on there, read their platform, read the offers, read call them. They have customer service people ask questions, say hey, if I choose you as opposed to them, what benefit do I have? Right, That's the thing. We're in a bubble right now the ideas that get out that bubble, and so what we want to preach is, yeah, there are a lot of platforms, and now the onus is on the person that do due diligence. I don't know what works best for you because I don't know your financial circumstances. I don't know where you've bank, I don't know what you're comfortable with. There are companies that have customer service scraps you can call before you make a trade, that will help walking through stuff. They'll help find research with you, they have platforms. It's extensive stuff. It's it's very labor intensive, right. All this stuff is labor intensive. So now this comes down to how passionate are you about things?
Speaker 5: So redefined pressure? And also I want to let people know too. A lot of time people have the misconception that you have to be wealthy or rich to invest in stock market, right, which is it's not.
Speaker 3: True because the end game. So the difference with how people think and not everybody things like this, Right, Money is temporary, It comes and goes ebbs and flows. Knowledge is what we're mining here, like we're crafting knowledge. Right. I can't take that from you. I can't go in your brain and take the knowledge. What makes the knowledge powerful is that you can build on it or you can share it, and you can make other people knowledgeable. And if me and you both happen to be knowledgeable, well then you have iron and shop and iron, right, And that's where it gets powerful. And then when I do have the actual capital to do things significantly, I'm ready mentally, right. So you can have a million dollars and not be sufficiently educated to move, and you can have one thousand dollars and be educated, and all you're doing is building your knowledge based until that moment comes where you have that money to make a significant move for yourself. So the ideas we're preaching exposure, we're preaching knowledge. Right, we'll get your hands in the dirt. But it comes down to an individual person. How bad do you want to learn the market? How bad do you want to be a resource for your friends and family? How bad do you want to see your goals happen. I don't control that. You don't control that. We're all CEOs our own companies. So again, a bunch of platforms, right, we can give you the names, we can list them out. By the end of the day, you have to do it's best for you. Because I don't wear a side small, so I can't try a side small short. I tell you if it's not, I'm gonna excel. Same thing for people. These platforms are good if you have this amount of money to invest and you're looking for this kind of customer service. If you don't want any customer service, you want to do it yourself, this platform is good if you want to be able to walk into a big branch and have a conversation with somebody about different things in the face it. Well, this is good for you. These things are all quite essential to what it is you're looking for.
Speaker 5: Yeah, now, I like what you said. As far as you can't take the knowledge. Because I had one friend who he he made He made a million dollars let's say roughly like, he made a million dollars young, right then he fell on some hard times and he lost pretty much all of it. But another one of my friends was talking to him and he was like, you're going to make a million dollars a gat easy. And when he said that, it was kind of like I asked him later, I'm like, why would you say that. You don't even know, Like it's not easy to make a million dollars. He said, because he already made it before, so he got the information. He understands how to do it. Now, you just got to do it again.
Speaker 3: That's like, that's what they said about the first millions.
Speaker 5: You can't like you say, you can't take somebody's knowledge. Once you have the knowledge to do it, you're going to do it again.
Speaker 3: Well, what makes them dangerous, right, like, in terms of being able to get that back, is that he has knowledge and experience. It's one thing to be a coach and coach a sport, but there's another thing to play and being in that moment because I can now coach from a different angle because I've been in that moment. So we watch coaches in the NBA and there's certain guys we look at and it's like that dude really was never in that moment, so it's hard for him to get across this player the significance of the moment because he didn't do it, or certain guys are not able to basically talk and communicate, like Michael Jordan's respect is a terrible owner, Like he's not good at putting the team together or gym and stuff because he was so great, so he can't compute how everybody's not great. But Larry Bird is able to get the most at an Indiana Pacers all the time, and they might not be the most talented players, but Larry Bird was the most athletic guy he would is super smart and very skills, so he's able to understand that and put teams together that are not juggernauts, but they're team that you don't we can't walk over. It's the same thing, right, Like a person that has experience plus the knowledge base is always going to double up faster. So if I lost that million or whatever it is, I can get it back faster, but not only do I have the life experience of what I went through. So I'm gonna just basically skip these hurdles. Right, these mistakes I've made, those are out the way. So if I skip these hurdles that might have cost me six months in mistakes, that's going six months to a million whatever the number is, right, And that's the power we have to first learn. So we're knowledgeable and we're armed. Right, I've armed myself to go into battle. I didn't go and I didn't run into the battle with nothing in my hands.
Speaker 6: To like, I'm gonna get smarter, and that's I mean, that's what we do, right, But nobody teaches us like especially stocks.
Speaker 3: It's not something that is learned in school. And if your parents have never invested in stocks, like.
Speaker 5: We have no armor when we got So what happens with most of the time, most middle class people in our community especially, is that people are intimidated with things they don't understand, they don't know right, So what ends up happening is that if you just stay away from it and you say it's over my head, I don't want anything to do with it, because especially when it comes to money, people is not going to invest in something or that they don't understand. So this is what the podcast is about, is to fully equip you. But before we leave, I wanted to talk about a couple of different ways where people can invest in stock market. Even if okay, even if you don't want to fully dive in and do the research and it may not be your forte, you can still invest in stock market. Right, There's other ways to invest. So there's like mutual funds White People allows you to invest in stock market without actually investing yourself, right, it's being done for you. In a mutual fund is a company like a Franklin, Simpleton or Oppenheim. And what they do is they pull together let's say one hundred and fifty different stocks and one mutual fund, and you pay a fee for that. But you're paying a fee because they're doing the work for you, right, So it's like a four to one kh a job where nobody really knows the money. And then form like okay, where it's invested. It's invested in stock market, but nobody knows which stock is actually invested in.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: The same thing with a mutual fund kind of like you're investing in a mutual fund like it could be a tech fund, but that tech fun might have one hundred and fifty different stocks inside of it. Right. So the benefit with that is that a it allows you to invest in a low amount. It's like a lot of times, like fifty dollars a month minimum or like a thousand dollars a month long some So you're investing at a pretty low entry point and you don't have to do the work yourself, Like you don't have to research you you know it's being done for you. And the another way to invest is an index fund. Right, So an indexed fund, you know, attracts an index. So we have like the S and P five hundred or dal Jones and that's pretty much like a microcosm of the stock market. And so instead of you trying to pick stocks yourself, you're just investing in a broader stock market as a whole. And that's another way where it's it's passive, right because you're not actually doing the work, it's just mirroring the actual market. So I say those those two ways in particular because we want everybody to get involved in investing, and we encourage you to learn and to do it yourself if you would like to. But if not, that's still not an excuse no to not invest because you can still invest in a stock market without actually having to pick the stocks or do the work yourself.
Speaker 3: Right. I think the idea really is on a daily basis, are you challenging yourself? Right? Are you today? I go to sleep and then I'll wake up tomorrow and my better version of myself and all assets of life. Right, Like, forget finance, just aspects of challenging yourself. And when you start to challenge yourself, the reward comes right slowly, but show It's like if I want to lose weight. Sometimes I look in the mirror and it's like, well, I'm not losing weight, and this mighty see you go, hey man, losing weight And it's like I didn't know this because I see myself every day, so I will never notice the micro changes in myself. But in this kind of forum, the ideas that get better every day. And the great thing about the stock market, and the great thing about all the things you're speaking about is that it's tangible. We can feel it, we can read, we can touch it. Right. I can go to a Verizon store, I can walk into a Nike store. I can tangib I can feel it if I also can put up an article from the Wall Street Journal, or I can donate my money, right, I consider a donation. Right, So when I say donate money, you have to pay for the worsh Journal. But I'm donating to my knowledge. Right, I'm donating money to my knowledge fund. And then when I pay for betterers, I'm donating money to mine. I'm donating time to my knowledge. That's what I'm investing in myself to make myself better, because the better I am, the more I can do for other people. Right. So part of my journey was that I understood when I got into the game was the better I do, the more I can do for people who don't know, because they're gonna trust me because they figure, well, you work in this field, so I'm gonna trust you the certain way. I go to my dentists and they say, well you need this, and I always tell them you are professional. I'm gonna do what I'm told, but I also want to learn becaum not trying to just have dental work done for no reason. So I'm gonna ask questions as to why that's happening. And you can now tell me, I'm gonna learn. So the same thing premise holds true for this is any money or time you're donating to investing yourself. So these platforms also cost money. Let's not forget that this stuff isn't free. It's not free to be knowledgeable, and it's not free to just become an expert in something. It takes sweat, equity and time right in years, months, days, whatever you want to do, and it takes a financial investment. And I'm gonna waste twenty bucks thirty bucks on stuff I don't need right, no week and do everything. We always waste money, so we always find a reason. We can always find a reason why we should buy something. Oh man them Jordans on sale, you know they did with three hundred. I put them for one fifty. Found the reason I didn't need them, and this difference between the need and the want. Same thing with this, these platforms cost money. Well lost your journally costs money. Barrens cost money financial terms for x financial times. Excuse me costs money. The Economists costs money to subscribe yearly. Basis, this isn't like a chore, and if it is, it's not for you, right because you got to invest in yourself the same way you invest in your clothes and stuff that you might not have in five years. Right, you might not have those pairs stinkers in five years. But that knowledge in the article or you got that, you got that for a long time, just really quickly.
Speaker 5: The knowledge of the podcast yeah too, which is free.
Speaker 6: I just want to touch it because, like you said, like not having the armor is one thing, and investing yourself as far as literature and reading, Like in two thousand and seven, Rashad and a good friend about Jama and my brother Grat we started a company called Money through invest In and so you know we were into business, right.
Speaker 3: We didn't have no tools. We were just trying to learn on our own. And I subscribed to all these magazines.
Speaker 6: I read BusinessWeek and I got this great article and it was like, you know, things you should look into, So like that was the first thing out there looking at it, like what.
Speaker 3: Are my interests? Right?
Speaker 6: So I saw Apple and this is prior to the iPhone come out yet, And I saw this company called Badu, which was like the Chinese version of Google. I'm like, all right, Google's been China. This this is gonna be next, and then that's what China mo. I'm like, great, I'm gonna invest in these all right, bo, So I did it. I was like, the album's gonna be huge prior to it being released. And it was great for the first six months, and then two thousand and eight barcking crash and I got scared and I took all my money out, but.
Speaker 5: I still watched.
Speaker 6: I was still watching from the sideline, and I saw like companies go up sevenfold, and I'm like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: And then they did something called a split. You want to plain what it split is? So stock split? Could they either they do a reverse dock split or they can stock split. Right, So if you have one share and let's say this shares one hundred dollars, and the companies says, we're doing a four to one stock split, now you have four shares at twenty five dollars, right, and the reverse Dosplat's like, we're going to make those four shares one hundred dollars, right, So you have four twenty five dollars shares. Now you have one share of one hundred dollars. Companies do it for a multitude of reasons, whether it is to create ball, right, because the stock market doesn't supply and demand. Why is the stock called so much? Whether there's not a lot of volume, whether there's not a lot of shares that are out there that you can obtain, So the price goes up the same way that if like a sneaker comes out and then it gets sold out and it's two hundred dollars a Nike, but then you go on stock X and it's five hundred beans, you're like, yo, but that's the value because there's only so many shoes, and Liverson knows that, and they're going to raise the price. That's the same thing in the stock market. Sometimes the companies right will buy back shares of their stock to take them off of the market. By buying back the shares of their stock, I'm taking them off the market. It creates right, It creates a more demand for the stock because there's less of supply out there for me to get my hands on. So intrinsically it will raise the price of the stock or hopefully raise the price to the stock. Right, and raising the price of stock gives it a different profile. If a stock is trading at one hundred and fifty dollars a share has a different profile than the stock that's trading at five dollars a share. We're not even discussing the company. It decides to have what looks from the inside outside in. And so sometimes companies want to go from being Nike to Louis right, or from Louis to Nike right accessibility in terms of their demographic the customers will say. Some companies might say, hey, we're trading this seven hundred dollars a year, and we want to make our stock more accessible to people who can afford this range, say from one to fifty two hundred, right, And by doing the stock split or buying back these shares or different ideas they have, they're acting on what they think is best for their company. And again it kind of all ties into the ecosystem and everybody is going to do what's best for what for them and who makes a decisions CEOs CFOs coos right, and the perception of the stock on the market.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, that's it's powerful. Man. Once again, we want to want to thank you for coming. And once again, this all comes back to what we always say is relationships. Right, Like as far as all the guests, people that we know personally or people that we've developed relationship recently. So me and Quinn go back a long time, so you know now to see him do his thing in finance is encouraging and once again, collaboration is better than competition like a man match, you know, so it makes sense to work across, right, And you know it's dope that you know, we invited them all and he had no problem coming on and giving his area of expertise, and this is what all of our guests have been doing, which is just really dope. So you know this is just you know, this is due the whole relationship and we know personally, right.
Speaker 3: So with your champion each other, yeah, not for sure.
Speaker 5: So you know that just lets you you guys know, wherever you're at in the world and your geographic location or whatever, develop those relationships. Relationships work more than money because ultimately, like you said, money's gonna come and go, but the knowledge and the relationships that you have can last a lifetime and you never know when somebody you know can help or when you can help somebody. So it's just beneficial. So do you have any initiatives that you are doing or anything that you want to make the public aware of anything.
Speaker 3: I'm in the future. I'm putting together some business and entrepreneur I want to say, workshops that will be accessible, you know, to our community, first Western County, I want to say, and trying to bring together some intelligent minds from different industries so that the youth are exposed to this and they understand that there is opportunity in different aspects. Like for me, I wasn't aware that these jobs existed growing up. Like I said, I thought, okay, I'm going to the league or you know, you can be a doctor or a lawyer. But there's a vast amount of jobs and the vast amount of opportunities absolutely, and it comes down to exposure. So a big initiative for me this year is really kind of getting my hands more in the dirt and being able to provide resources as far as my knowledge and then my relationships and bringing into the youth and saying, hey, these are your options. If you stated of course, if you go to class and you do the best you can and you build these habits, now you don't have a problem when you get older. The difficulty is when you don't build these habits as a youth or a teen or early the early twenties, and now you're thirty something and you don't have the armor to battle, right, And so we have to arm ourselves with knowledge, work, ethic, and habits to be able to be successful in this world because it's competitive, and that's just the general basis of well and get out there to the youth. I think it's super important, especially minorities, because these are things we're not privy to. These are things that we see on TV, and sometimes we don't feel from a self standpoint it's obtainable. But if I can put in front of you people of color and people who are minorities who have climbing these mountains, who are still climbing these mountains, who are still going through their process to be great in their legacy, and show you that it is obtainable, I think that's important. And that's what we said on the last episode is representation, Right, if you see it, then you.
Speaker 6: Most likely feel like you can be it. Then we don't see people in other fields. So I'm happy that you said that, and we got some stuff that we're working on this summer, so that's gonna be dope.
Speaker 3: We definitely have you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we definitely want to have you well stuff together for sure. And one thing that Comunity said that was was vital is he said, all of this this information is an investment in yourself, right and you know as far as a platform to invest in yourself and to give a donation to your to your learning. So that leads me to our Patreon. Sure, Patreon, Yes, yes, Patreon is a way to financially support the podcast because yeah, we we're one of the few places where you can actually get information for free, but we were able to give more people information and do more things as we financially grow as well. So the Patreon is a way to be proud to pay as our guy, Nipsey the Great once championed with his uh mixtape campaign for the Pay where he gave the mixtape away on streaming service for free, but he also had a level where you could pay think up to one hundred dollars and a lot of people. It sold out because people what they were encouraged by him and they were, you know, proud to financially support him. So that's kind of what we have with the patreons.
Speaker 6: Patreon has been pretty dope, man. We've reached out to some people we've had great dialogue. We've got some video conference calls that were great, like people just picking our brains and avenues that we didn't even expect.
Speaker 3: But it's dope.
Speaker 6: You know, people want us to come out to their city, so like, yeah, keep supporting Patreon. We have some new members up and we have a few new video conference calls. So shout out to Savannah and Ta we'll be in contact with you this week. But yeah, keep shout out to Cody and uh Terry. We had a close with them and we're gonna do some work together. So that's dope. We just keep networking looking across. Like Quinn said, man, sometimes your neighbor could be doing amazing things you have no idea, So it's important to network and reach across for sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for sure, And don't forget the merch will be having some new items come out very soon. But right now we have the signature I actually have the assets of a liability shirt. This is our signature shirt. We have the hoodie, we have dad hats, we have the crap top hoodies for the ladies. So not all kinds of stuff going on with that Season two soon come, yes, yes, so yeah, cop the merch and then before I leave, I give a book tip. So today I'm go through two book tips. Since we talked about stocks, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the book How to Make Money in Stock Market or how to Make Money in Stocks by William O'Neill. You a readouble I have not.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's my audible player.
Speaker 5: I suggest everybody to read that book. Is the first book that I actually read about stocks, and it's very easy to read, and it explains stocks in a very understandable and very easy way to digest. And then also anybody that's interested in the music business, yes, yes, so the book act like a label, think like a manager. And this is written by none other than the producer of our podcast, CEO Sid. So if you're interested in the music business or just in goodness in general, but definitely if you're interested in the music business, check it out. You can go to Facebook, dot com, backslash CEO sid or Twitter or Instagram ceo Slate. We'll put the links up on the on the YouTube. But yeah, if you're interested in getting to the rap game, get into the R and B game. Like we always say, it's one thing to play the game. It's another thing to actually play the game efficiently and to know the rules of the game and knowledge. Going back to the stock mart, right, you got to have the knowledge of what you're doing. So check those two books out. Thank you guys for rocking with us, and we'll see you next week.
Speaker 1: Please please, Coach, The energy out there felt different. What changed for the team today?
Speaker 2: It was the new game Day scratches from the California Lottery.
Speaker 3: Play is everything.
Speaker 2: Those games sent the team's energy through the roof.
Speaker 1: Are you saying it was the off field play that made the difference on the field.
Speaker 2: Hey, little play makes your day, and today it made the game. That's awfu.
Speaker 3: Now, coach one more question.
Speaker 4: Played the new Los Angeles Chargers, San Francisco forty nine Ers and Los Angeles Rams Scratchers from the California Lottery. A little play can make your day. Peace play responsibly. Must be eighteen years or older to purchase play or claim