Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 1: Cowboys. This he's Talking Cowboys, screening live from the Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 3: Tag Boarders here.
Speaker 2: Tscot Ti TI, touchdown and now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 4: It's a one month out from the NFL Draft edition of Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas, in.
Speaker 1: The BC Studios. Welcome in everybody.
Speaker 4: We've got Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah Standback, Chris Beam in the back. I'm Kyle Yeoman so glad you're with us. What is that, Josh?
Speaker 3: I think it's the Star magazine draft guy.
Speaker 5: I think this might be like the debut of it.
Speaker 3: It's the debut.
Speaker 4: I don't think it's even been released. This is definitely a sneak peek. This is what you get on Talking Cowboys is a nice.
Speaker 3: Little breaking news.
Speaker 4: That is the cover on there of the twenty twenty six NFL Draft Guide by the Cowboys Star Magazine personnel.
Speaker 3: Who contributed to that magazine.
Speaker 4: Call, I did, really, you know who take this up with?
Speaker 5: You want to know who wanted to put the organ duck on.
Speaker 1: The front Me. It was and it was only for you.
Speaker 5: I did it for you.
Speaker 4: No, I did it because Dylan Thieneman has a chance to be a Cowboy at least when we decided this magazine, he had a bigger chance probably, But I still don't necessarily think it's out of the conversation.
Speaker 3: Well is on the cover.
Speaker 1: Call.
Speaker 4: So you got Ruben bain Down on the bottom left hand corner, the edge rusher out of Miami. To us right, You've got David Bailey, the edge rusher out of Texas Tech. Then you've got Caleb Downs, Ohio State Safety. He's on the far left hand side. Then you got Monsieur Delaine over the top in the LSU gear. You got Sunny Styles in the gray Ohio State uniform, and then Dylan Theenum in there in the middle. Those are the cover athletes for this year's Cowboys Star magazine. Draft Guy available online shortly, I maybe within the next week, but it's in pro shops starting today. Oh if you come in person to any of the Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Pro shop locations. I believe in the Dallas Fort Worth Metroplex.
Speaker 1: Leave with one. You can leave with one of these dress magazine. Do any of those guys make it out the top twelve?
Speaker 5: Any of them make it out of the top twelve, like beyond?
Speaker 1: Do the theenemon does? Probably? Yeah? Yeah, theenem In probably is. Uh.
Speaker 4: The other guys probably not. Bain Maybe because of the short arm, somebody might get a little worried.
Speaker 5: But that's my thing is if he ends up going to twelve, his.
Speaker 1: Arms are really short, Kyle, they are very almost too short, too short to play.
Speaker 3: The team shouldn't even look at it, idn't even touch.
Speaker 5: Them because you want them to end up here.
Speaker 1: Shut up.
Speaker 6: Shit.
Speaker 4: It is thirty days out from the NFL Draft, which means this is right around the time we're on Talking Cowboys, we start talking draft stuff and you know whatever started just better or start getting your film in with draft experts, and.
Speaker 1: We just started talking about it over there in the in the breakfast hall. That means it's almost time for practice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean we're what two weeks away practice from from actually hitting the field, five weeks away now from hitting the field with rookie mining camp and then OTAs and then we're right back into practice time.
Speaker 1: I love that. Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 4: Speaking of March madness, it's gonna be madness by the time we get around to May, and I'm not ready for it yet. I'm just trying to hang out and get the draft stuff right.
Speaker 7: But I know, and you got two draft experts here in Isaiah stand back and drafting Kyle not as much, not as much. But if those wondering why we're missing Patrick no Cy Walker, he's having surgery today. If you didn't last week, he had an injury, a baseball injury. But he is getting surgery today. He will be back, no doubt about it. Patrick knowsy Walker will return.
Speaker 1: Show some love to no Sea in a chat. He looks at the chat, so y'all show him man some love and give him some support. Surgeries are scary things, right, It's not a for sure thing. You know. People go in and they just assume that everything's gonna be okay. We are praying that everything's gonna be okay. But y'all send him some love because he definitely needs to feel the fam.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we got to talk to him a little bit yesterday.
Speaker 4: He was in good, good Spirits was confident of course in the process, but man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's always tough. No sea confident always, that's what the C stands for. Confident. But he is confident, yes.
Speaker 5: Patrick, Yes, confident Walker.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: That's it right off the tongue.
Speaker 5: It rolls. This one rolls, baby.
Speaker 4: All right, let's get into some news and notes, a couple of different things to keep in tabs with UH in terms of the Cowboys and what they did this past week, start with some of the guys that left Dallas.
Speaker 7: A notable name missing from that list, Kyle, I don't think we got to talk about him last week, Okay, Jalen Tolbert goes to the Dolphins.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I think it happened before I show last week, but we didn't talk about it.
Speaker 3: I don't think we talked about it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, not a big topic of conversation last week.
Speaker 1: I mean you talked about some over two years ago. Was your leading touchdown? Yeah? Yeah, seven two years ago. And I know he's never he has never been the big name around here, but put some respect on what he did two seasons ago. He led your team in touchdowns, which is I don't care what you feel about him. That was huge for him. Obviously last year somebody came and took a spot. That's what this league is about. It is about competition. And now he finds himself not being reinstated here with the Cowboys, but he gets an opportunity with another team, right, And that's the thing you interview for thirty one other teams which put on film, somebody most likely is going to be appreciative of it and feel as if you can be a contributor to them in their program. So now him and Malik will let's get to become best buds.
Speaker 7: I thought it's interesting that he's probably one of your top receivers for Miami now considering the trade that they had last week. But it's tough because Tolbert, like you said, contributed in touchdowns the year prior last year and a contract year lost his job to Ryan Flinoy. I think that more show more so says what Flinoy was able to do and how he's able to make that leap in a second year. But for me, at least, Tolbert was kind of more the same. He was a reliable pass catcher at times, he made a lot of really clutch receptions. For you, but I don't think the run blocking was there. I don't think the you know, the mantra last year was compete every day. I don't think that he was necessarily. I'm sure he was competing, but I just mean like he was obviously overtaken by Illinoy and probably the biggest reason why he's not here as a number four receiver because Flinoyd took that job.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let me start by saying, I enjoyed covering Jalen Tolbert, and he was always very good to us, and he was always somebody that was willing to talk and was very insightful when we had those conversations, and he was very open about some of the hard stuff too, especially like early in his career when he was talking about how he didn't feel like he connected enough with Dak and he wanted to be a right hand man to him and be a reliable target. And he did to a certain extent build himself into that at certain points in the year.
Speaker 1: But the consistency was a problem. I mean, he had flashes.
Speaker 4: He had one of the best catches of the twenty twenty five season on the sideline against the Packers.
Speaker 1: Late in that game.
Speaker 4: He made plays and he's capable of doing so. But the consistency was where it fell short, and it was it was one. If it wasn't one thing, it was another thing. If it wasn't the connected connection with Dak Prescott, it was a lingering injury. If it wasn't a legering injury, it was his understanding of a scheme of a play calling standpoint or a loss assignment. Or he wasn't blocking well so he wasn't getting playing time. When it gets down to that, that's where I tend to have less of a patience with a wide receiver who was a top.
Speaker 1: One hundred pick.
Speaker 4: He was picked eighty eighth overall in a time where Dallas really needed another wide receiver to step up, and they anticipated him to do that immediately. And I loved his college tape out of South Alabama. I was very much so a high proponent and a high supporter of drafting Jaylen Tolbert in the third round there, so at that point I thought he would come in and contribute, and he did, but not to the level that you would anticipate from a third round guy. And then you get a guy like Ryan Filinoy who comes out after being a later round pick and does exactly what you needed Jayaln Tolbert to do. And now he's kind of the one that overstepped him. And that's why Jaylen Tolbert is no longer a Dallas Cowboy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and I didn't mean to turn this into talking Tolbert, but I think it was worth mentioning because of the contributions that he's made as a Dallas Cowboy. You've won games because of James Colbert, Like there's no out about that, that game winning uh touchdown in Pittsburgh, Like, I will big one to you for a long time. It was a big play by him. But uh yeah, moving on to some other names. I mean brock Hoffman as well. He signed with the Pittsburgh yesterday officially.
Speaker 1: Is that is that a fisial the table? I like Hoffman. I understand that, you know, obviously they want to move on from him. I trust this coaching staff because they have two offensive line coaches on this coaching staff, so it's not just one person making this decision. I'm sure that they came together and collectively said, yeah, we both feel the same way about this particular thing or his this particular shortcoming or this lack of development in this particular area, and they felt confident enough to move on from him. Losing him and Rob Jones doesn't necessarily make me feel awesome in terms of depth. Those are those are I would have liked to have retained at least one of those guys. And people will look at Rob Jones and be like, well, he never even had a chance to play here. Yeah, he got hurt early in camp, right, Yeah, and he.
Speaker 7: Got hurt helping other like rookie linemen that that presence. Yeah, it's a terrible circumstance, but he was showing out in camp to a point where I was like, I'm surprised this guy's not starting. I would be surprised if this guy is not starting in week one. Granted that the line was what it was at the time, but yeah, it's a sucky situation when he goes to a rival at that and then.
Speaker 1: Peyton Turner goes to Detroit.
Speaker 4: So those are three guys that were on the back half, and with Turner and Jones, both of the guys, those guys never really ended up playing just because of injury and what ended up happening there. But they are all off the roster. Cowboys did re sign Corey Ballentine, who came on late in the year last year, that that was really kind of their one addition or retainment in the roster this past week. Are you guys a little disappointed on the back end?
Speaker 7: Okay, maybe more than a little, Yeah, maybe more than a little.
Speaker 1: How much would you equate it to what would you equate your disappointment?
Speaker 7: You know that meme where it's like the guy that's like poking the thing with a stick, Just do something, do something.
Speaker 3: I feel like that.
Speaker 7: I have felt like that the last two weeks because you have still not addressed linebacker in any former fashion. I'm very frustrated with that. Obviously, they have a plan going into the draft, but like we've talked about here the last three episodes, it would be nice to have a veteran presence behind there, a coach on the field that is able to contribute to the linebacker room and also be a solid player at that I'm not saying, you know, it needs to be a world beat or anything like that, but you just need consistency there, and you don't have size to speak of at linebackers.
Speaker 3: So I'm just very.
Speaker 7: Confused at the approach there. But you know the Christian Parker's defense, he obviously has a plan.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it is.
Speaker 7: I don't have that ball knowledge at this point, but to me, it is just frustrating that I feel that position currently has been undervalued in free agency. I know they attempted to go get their guys, but I mean, I, along with most of the of the fans, feel like, you know, there should have been a backup plan. At least you should have at least three or four guys that you would have gone to get had the one player that went to the Raiders not worked out for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very difficult for me to foresee Dallas moving forward through this draft utilizing both first round picks now in the draft to acquire two players. With the lack of acquisitions that they've had this offseason, I can't foresee. I can't foresee them utilizing both picks and being okay with the remainder of the picks they have in this year's draft to fill the voids that are on defense.
Speaker 3: And you have one Day two pick now, I mean one one.
Speaker 1: So you know what I'm saying, Like I was hopeful whether they are big names or just you know. I think they did a good job of feeling positional needs in terms of contributors, right. We made that. We had that conversation, right, either you're going to get big name, big spla guys or I felt like they were after like that first wave. I was like, Okay, they're no longer going to go get a big splash guy, but they're gonna get multiple guys that can contribute right consistently. And I feel like they started doing that right. You got a safety, I got a nickel, all those things. However, there are still a lot of voids that are that need to be filled, especially with the change in scheme. Defensively, those positions of need are nowhere near near field, and I can't I can see them using the first picking the in the first round that we have. Was it twelve? Yep? But was it? The next one is twenty twenty. I can't see them using one in twenty. I are twelve and twenty. I can see them using twelve.
Speaker 4: You're saying you would use it to go get you have to approve in commodity.
Speaker 1: I think that you have to trade one of the trade the twenty to go get multiple players in the second and the third. I just don't there's not a saying to acquire more, to acquire more draft you because you just don't have enough pieces. And if there are guys that you believe that you this is what I believe. I believe that they're going to try to go through this draft and whatever decisions they're going to make, right, I believe that they're going to try to feel those voids after the draft like most teams do, right, they say, Hey, let's see what our team looks like after the draft, and then let's go fill those voys. I don't want to be in that position again. I feel like I told you this. I think that mister Jones and Steven Jones are in this tug of war of mister Jones really wanted to go want in two past tense now to go grab some high, highly claim claimed guys, and then Stephen Jones kind of pulled them back and kind of pulled back to what we've always known Dallas to do, is like, let's go to the discount double check, and I feel like, there's this I want to do this. I'm no, let's go back to our old way. No, let's stay true to who we are, but we and now you find yourself in a position where it's like, Okay, yeah, you made a couple moves, but you're still looking at saying we still don't have enough guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think the plan was there.
Speaker 7: I think the plan was there to go get the guys that you're talking about, the guys that that.
Speaker 3: You would think Dallas would want to.
Speaker 7: I mean, obviously the interest was there for several guys, but there wasn't that final like we're gonna make that final bid to get this guy because this is the guy that we want contributing on our defense next year. To me, I would have used free agency to kind of fill out the room. Granted, you're overpaying in a lot of positions, but I think there are guys that are contributing and not getting paid, you know, an exorbitant amount of money. I feel like you could have filled those holes enough to say, like today, if we're playing a game today.
Speaker 3: We're not playing a game today.
Speaker 7: Obviously, but it's like we have a roster we feel solidly enough about playing today if we had to, and then using the draft to get even better guys to take you over the top that didn't happen. You're now relying on the draft yet again to get those guys on the field, and you're relying on youth in a big way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think you bring up a good point talking about the plan that was there. I believe going into free agency they were willing to spend, and they spent more than they have in the past, so I give them a little bit credit. There is the high end stuff that we kind of wanted to see. No, was it the crazy moves that they wanted to make, No, it wasn't. However, I agree with you in the fact that there's kind of a fundamental breakdown somewhere in free agency.
Speaker 1: And I forgot who said it.
Speaker 4: Somebody said it the other day, and I agreed with part of what they were saying.
Speaker 1: Part of it I didn't agree with.
Speaker 4: But what I did agree with was when you haven't been in free agency, players in free agency recently, and you all of a sudden decide to go play in free agency after not doing so for the better part of a decade, there's going to be things and nuances and negotiation tactics that you aren't sharp on.
Speaker 5: And that's what ultimately happened.
Speaker 1: In my opinion.
Speaker 4: I think they did want to get involved. I think they wanted to push for all of this based on not just conversations that we had with Jerry on the bus or Steven Indianapolis, but the top to bottom, the entire organization felt like they were going to make some moves, and I think they attempted to do so, or they wanted to do so, but there's a fundamental breakdown at some point in time where they decided to make a move, but they weren't ready.
Speaker 1: To make a move, if that makes sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's where I think there was a falling through the cracks. Now you added some solid names. I love the Jalen Thompson signing. I've said that already.
Speaker 1: I like what they did with Kobe Durant and with o Tito Albonna. I like those signings.
Speaker 4: Are they as good as going and getting a blue chip drusher, which they haven't done, or a starting caliber linebacker which they haven't done.
Speaker 1: No, it's not.
Speaker 4: Those are good moves that are going to make your team better in the long run, but you need other moves to supplement that outside of the draft, and they haven't done that. So that's where my disappointment lies in the off season.
Speaker 1: I look at it is a math equation to me. Right, you lost a number of starters or you know you lost Osa was a starter, Solomon was a rotational guy. Who else did we lose?
Speaker 3: But what was also starter in this defense?
Speaker 1: Right? No? I mean he probably has he would have would have because of his price. Right. But so you so you replace you swap Osa with a Rashan Gary, You acquire a Thompson who's a starter. You acquire PJ. Lock who's a starter. You acquire Kobe Durant who's a starter, and O Tito is a starter, I would imagine right now, Okay, right now, so you have four starters that you brought in on a defensive side of the ball. All good stuff, all good stuff. Okay, So now as well, you know what I'm saying. So now you go into the draft, you're gonna your your number twelve pick is gonna be another starter, okay on defense. Okay, So now that'll be how many five starters? That'd be five starters that you acquired going into this season that you did not have last season. You're gonna need I feel like you're there's so many more holes to fill right. So I'm saying like that that number twenty. I feel like as much as you can go grab another impact player, you can get one impact player, But what does your depth take a hit on? You know what I mean? I mean, so I don't know what a twentieth is worth.
Speaker 4: And that's that's where I have the same agreement with you here, because all the guys you're adding are starters.
Speaker 1: But are they blue chip starters. No they're not. They're good, solid players. So that's where you could have depth if.
Speaker 4: You end up getting those blue chip guys. You end up getting those starters that are contributors right off the bat, or veterans that know how to do it and have been there and done that and.
Speaker 1: Things of the sort.
Speaker 4: There are no more linebackers on the the NFL dot Com.
Speaker 1: Top one hundred and one free agency.
Speaker 5: Which that mays so sick, there's nothing there.
Speaker 3: It's just, yeah, that hurts me.
Speaker 1: You're in a bad spot at linebacker unless you I mean, yes, you're at a bad spot at linebacker. But like, go please just go get Bobby serious at this point, like just go go get them cite somewhere.
Speaker 7: No, No, maybe it's a situation where he's waiting till after the draft to find his value somewhere.
Speaker 1: Don't let him have the pick of the litterate. Don't let him. Don't let him. Like, seriously, you should have had him three years ago. You know what I'm saying. You should have had them three years ago. You chose not to. You just you chose to extend vander Ash. Yeah, that's that was your choice. It was vander Ash or Bobby Wagner. You you chose vander Ash. And now he's done, Bobby's still going when you're thirty seven, it's still falling. That's right.
Speaker 4: I think the league is waiting to see what Bobby wants to do.
Speaker 1: No, I understand, and he deserves that right. And he's going to be playing somewhere. He's gonna be starting somewhere because he's just he's still playing at that level. Like, just don't wait. Like you missed on the Lloyd, You missed on all you know, Nikobe Dean, you missed on all these other bona fide contributors and big time players. Go get a guy that's still doing it. Like, is he as young as you want?
Speaker 6: Heck?
Speaker 1: No, can he still play? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Either you know what I'm saying, Like, and even if he doesn't play as much as he has in the past, what he's going to give you is significant in its own right. With the bang for the buck, right, he's going to give you some quality snaps might I mean as many snaps as they've had in the past.
Speaker 5: He's going to give him quality. And when he's not playing, you.
Speaker 1: Know what, he is going to give you wisdom.
Speaker 4: Knowledge and wisdom and all the the IQ that you cannot teach from playing thirty seven years in the NFL, like Bobby Wager has.
Speaker 1: I've got to have that level. I just don't want it to get to after the draft and everybody's trying to make the same phone call, like I would much rather get him, right, have him, and then go get a linebacker in a draft, and now you feel good about your front seven, right, and it's like, okay, now we still need we still want to get one more or two more pass rushers. Right, they can get out of the quarterback, but at least you're not forcing things into a position, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, one hundred percent.
Speaker 7: And I feel like like you're saying, he has the knowledge that will bring added value to the linebacker room, especially when you're going there's no doubt you're going to draft linebackers one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: You're going to do that.
Speaker 7: Why not have a guy that can teach him how to do? Like who better to learn from than a Bobby Wager?
Speaker 4: Come on, I mean, we can stand on the table as much as we want inside the podcast studio, but they al only are gonna have to want to do that. And there have been so many opportunities in the past where they could have added Bobby Waxes and they have not done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I come across your table. It's like dog gonna being at the dog on a sushi restaurant. It's like, should I get that thing on a little what do you call it? The conveyor? Bet It's not a conveyor, Betty goes by, But you had the second time sushi restaurants? Is isay?
Speaker 3: Are you going to get it wrong?
Speaker 7: How many times are you going to see him go to another team and still contribute more so than any of the linebackers you currently have in your team.
Speaker 1: I agree, I agree with you, but now I'm sure that I don't know if they do.
Speaker 7: There's a big reason why the Commanders don't have him on their roster anymore. Sure, I mean he's he's he's unreliable in coverage right now. Yeah, today's Bobby Wagner doesn't do that very well.
Speaker 3: But you know what he does. He tackles and a surefire tackle.
Speaker 1: We've we've talked about this before on the show too.
Speaker 3: A need into three four kind of maybe a little bit, I don't know.
Speaker 4: But Christian Parker has been very It's been noted by multiple people within the organization that he has a very specific idea of what he wants. He's not going to to to waiver on anything that he's doing building a roster. He is going to get what he wants. And if he doesn't want a Christian Parker made a Bobby Wagner type, then he's probably how.
Speaker 1: Many draft picks this year? This year? Yes? Eight? Seven? Seven or eight? And how many are eight now with the trade? Okay, so eight draft picks? And how many are below fourth or below fifth round? They've got four? So you got four top fours or top four yea in the top for five rounds something like that, right, four picks in the top five rounds? Yeah, yeah, well to one in the top five rounds two, one, three, four, Yeah, and then you've got three fives. Okay, so Christian Parker, you need to go get some more guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And of course it's like.
Speaker 1: That's not to say the guys in the draft are going to come in and play right now, but the probability is low. Like there's there's there's some teams put more emphasis on rolling the dice on draft picks than others, right, And I think what you're seeing right now is the league is really starting to change and we're seeing this within trades. There's been more trades than has ever been. Teams are starting to rest their their their they're wallets on proven players, right. It's not the discredit guys that are coming through the draft that have to prove themselves. And some guys may hit right now. Some guys may hit on their second or third team.
Speaker 3: You don't you're.
Speaker 1: Seeing you know, teams are tired of waiting, right, and some teams are more tired than others. Go get you a guy that you know, I know what he's going to do. Right. It may not be everything I want, but I know what the productive productivity I'm going to get out of him. And then I go get the guy that I hope turns into, you know, whatever it is that we project them to be. I don't want to go hope, I really go no hope and too fair.
Speaker 7: I know we're talking a lot about Wagner, but there are other guys that have been reported that the Cowboys are interested in trading for. We can't necessarily name those names right now, we can't talk about them, but I underst standing there is a plan there. They're not saying like we're not going to address itself.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think there was a plan agency too that was Plan A, this Plan B, and this is kind of what they're happening, or it might even be C or do you who knows?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 4: They have a plan moving forward, but we just got to find a way to make that happen, and whether or not they're willing to part with some of these draft picks to do so. I do want to talk about the NFL Draft, and when we come back, I've got a question about trades post draft and how that may have influenced the way that the Cowboys attacked this free agency and whether or not you guys agree with that or not. More talking Cowboys and Draft discussion right after this.
Speaker 8: Every day begins with a promise, a promise to work hard and to build a future. That's why we're here providing the tools, expertise and John Deere equipment you have relied on for generations to help you get the job done right. We're with you. That's our promise to you, because no matter the project or the challenge you're facing.
Speaker 1: Where with you? Where are you?
Speaker 4: United Cowboys fans, We've got big news. Black Rifle Energy is now available at Texas seven eleven stores, and for a limited time, you can score two cans for just six dollars at participating location. These cans pack a serious punch, two hundred milligrams of caffeine, veteran crafted flavor, and the clean energy you need.
Speaker 1: To power through those long days.
Speaker 4: So the next time you roll into your neighborhood seven eleven here in Texas, grab that two for six dollars Black Rifle Energy deal and fuel up the American Way.
Speaker 1: Black Rifle Coffee America's Coffee. How's it going? You see that Cowboys game? Oh? I watched. I've been seeing some good things totally. They have some talent, you have some great talent and they got some fight, hoping this is the year me too. Oh, I'm Cody. By the way, I'm Travis. Nice to meet you. Travis. Go Cowboys Go. Cowboys make a new friend based solely on their shirt choice.
Speaker 3: What would you like the power to do?
Speaker 1: Bank of America, the official bank of the Dallas Cowboys, copyright twenty twenty five. Bank of America Corporation.
Speaker 9: Getting eight and t'spast deal on the Samsung Galaxy S twenty six Ultra made you realize I do deserve the best, like this bubble bath with fancy soap and even as face mask.
Speaker 6: Learn how new and existing atent customers can get the new sounds and Galaxy S twenty six Ultra with Galaxy AI for zero dollars with eligible trading any condition requires trading of Galaxy S twenty four plus for five or new or installment plan on eligible wireless plan minimum sixty dollars a month before discounts for a tentt value two point oh subject to change. Visit att dot com slash on some for details.
Speaker 1: To Talking Cowboys back You're on.
Speaker 4: Talking Cowboys Presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, the only coffee of the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys coffee too.
Speaker 1: It is the only comp the only coffee in this official cop It is that read is from the Miller Light side of things, like the Miller Light the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. You'll hear me say that in about an hour.
Speaker 4: So yeah, but yes, Black Rifle Coffee is the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Now you know I have a beef, Kyle. I know you did a beef. I know my fellow teammates up here. You guys keep your eye on the chat during the show, talking talking cowboys. Yeah, talking cowboys nation our fanly. We love you guys, Yeah, we love you guys. I just don't partake in the chat during the show. But these guys, they they kind of pass a little birdie, play a little game of telephone. Uh. And I was told that Bobby Wagner conversations were erroneous.
Speaker 3: Nonsense, nonsense.
Speaker 1: I want people at home to understand. Yes, the NFL will tell you oftentimes that you're old. The NFL will tell you oftentimes that you're washed up. NFL will tell you oftentimes that you don't have any more to give. There are some outliers. I'm not sure if people a lot of times when they tell you that they're probably right, they're probably right. But there's certain guys that gotta come along that really don't know along with that. Bobby Wagner is one of them. Bobby Wagner in his fourteenth season.
Speaker 3: Fourteen at linebacker that seems like a lot.
Speaker 1: At linebacker, interior linebacker, fourteenth season for the Washington Commanders last year, played all seventeen games. Availability is kind of important, right, Best ability is availability seventeen games as a linebacker somebody who's responsible for hitting people and placed fifth overall in the NFL and tackles in.
Speaker 3: The NFL like all.
Speaker 1: The players, I mean, even the guys that are like rookies and like fourteen years younger, fourteen years less wearing tear fifth. So when you guys are questioning whether or not this is somebody that the Dallas Cowboys should be considering, you might want to just check the rap sheet aka no ian, But the check the rap sheet, because this duke is still a ball, and if you got one year out of him with half of that productivity, you're winning, yes, Because what I'm saying is you can spend a twelve on a linebacker that you consider to be a sure thing that was a dog in college. You can spend a twenty on that. But below that, no disrespect, you're probably hoping and rolling the dice that that person's gonna hit right, No disrespect to all the other draft picks, especially in this year's draft where it's pretty deep, right, You're you're kind of questioning whether or not that person can come in and be that guy. Some guys can, some guys can't. Why have that question mark when you can for sure get somebody who is a great person right at, a great contributor in a community, great locker room guy, and a great contributor on the field, And it's gonna hit you for the It's gonna hit you for the lo.
Speaker 4: Low yeah, lower than you would get a younger cat that does all that stuff, all the same stuff. Now, just to be completely fair, the same person that did call it nonsense in the chat did reply and said, if I'm Bobby, I want a chance before retirement to win, not come to this type of situation, and he used it.
Speaker 1: You can say that about every squad, like genuinely, like, yeah, the Cowboys, have they done anything in the past that make you feel good about them going towards next year's Super Bowl. No, but you can't. You can't say that for sure thing about any of these teams around the league. Teams are turning over their rosters left and right. We had more coaching in vacancies than than we've had in last fifteen years. Like, there's gonna be teams that pop up that are going to be contribute, you know, gonna be competitors and real you know, real conversation in terms of the playoffs that that weren't there last year. So to make that statement is it's kind of like saying, you know, peanut butter and jelly go together.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean the Seattle situation makes it a lot more different. I mean, they turn their team around in one year. Yeah, in one year. You're telling me that a lot of teams don't think they can do that.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: They also drafted really well, absolutely, or look at the Patriots.
Speaker 3: Look at the Patriots and what do we know from the draft show teams at drafting?
Speaker 1: Yeah dude, yeah, yeah, Patriots worth that three and fourteen or whatever it was to the Super Bowl. Like come on, man, like stuff changes in a year. So like that's erroneous to make this no disrespect. Yeah, let's go into the draft a little bit here.
Speaker 4: Cowboys did have some guys out on the draft trail yesterday. These are all reports, some of them confirmed by cameras.
Speaker 5: On site, others others not camera.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Schottenheimer, Christian Parker, Will McClay, we're all at the Miami Pro day yesterday with some of the notable products there. Of course Ruben Bain, who's on the draft cover Draft Guide cover right there, mister Baine, a key messidor another edge rusher from there.
Speaker 1: You think that they help linebackers. You think they drove to Miami. I'm just wondering. No, no, no commercial, noj Yeah. I mean I was waiting those TSA lines coming.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're skipping that.
Speaker 4: They're going right to the tarmac, big dog the Uh. But yeah, Kyante Scott another late round secondary player that I really like, is from Miami, and there's a there's a lot of really good talent there. So they were out there yesterday. Not the only place that the Cowboys have been. If you really want to keep up the day with all the reports on where Pep Will have been, uh, I encourage you to follow Nick Harris and Tommy Yurs. Those are kind of the two guys that are on the pro day trail at the moment. Tommy is actually at Texas Pro Day right now.
Speaker 1: He drives. He did drive, no PJ.
Speaker 4: He did not get Sorry, Tommy, get your butt down to Austin.
Speaker 1: He went to school there. You're fine. Yeah, you may have this.
Speaker 3: Khaki's all the way down.
Speaker 4: Speaking of walking uh down down I thirty five. Linda Wells, I don't think he'd I don't think he had the private jet either. Linda, the tight ends coach, was reported to have dinner with some of the Baylor draft prospects, including tight end Michael Trigg the quarterback, saw your Robertson and then Josh Robertson the wide receiver or Josh Cameron Cameron the wide receiver.
Speaker 1: I like to mention that from Baylor probably one of the best offseason retainments. I don't want to say acquisitions that we had.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we getting Lunda a lot of love on the show.
Speaker 1: Ye dub almost left, he was on was gone. Yeah, he almost joined the McCarthy era out there, like seriously, like that that wasn't his only possibility either. I'm I'm pretty sure he had options. Oh he did, and I'm pretty sure he chose to stay here. So Cowboys Nation, whatever happens on the back And because we're not we're not heavy to those conversations or negotiations like give a give a nice little handclap to the to the front office for finding a way to retain him, because to keep to stay as a tight ends coach when you had offensive coordinator presented to you, m something happened to keep him here. I'll just say that and yeah, kudos. I wonder what that could mean. Uh.
Speaker 4: I want to continue with with draft stuff here though, because based on our conversation in the first segment, I feel like all three of us sit here and we say best player available is always the goal.
Speaker 1: When it comes to the NFL draft.
Speaker 4: Nope, you want to take the you want to take the best player available. However, when you have holes on your defense, you are limited in what the best player available pool looks like. You can't just pluck from the pool.
Speaker 1: When you have to pick a specific type of fish, you have to you have to.
Speaker 4: So you're still going to see probably the best defensive player on the board and where they would fit are there any limitations based on your mindset of where they can and cannot go with the twelfth and twenty picks in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Draft limitations, Yes, I would say you do not need to grab an interior defensive lineman with those with the first round picks. Don't don't grab it for you know, you know how I feel about my interior D lineman. But I don't think that you need to. I think that you have your two dogs. We'll see what Otito provides, but you have two true proven dogs on the anterior D line. You have other needs that you can use those picks work. So I would not feel great if they went out and grabbed an interior D lineman at that pick. Would you know I would still be okay with it? But I was like, ah, you could use that to a linem. I could use that the grab a dominant corner, use that you grab a D N like. I think those are the three positions that I would feel better about than interior D line.
Speaker 4: Would you be cool making a move for a defensive tackle at ninety two with that pick you got for Mosa, kind of replace it with another defensive tackle that fits your scheme better.
Speaker 1: No, Okay, no, I I want depth. I want depth, but not with those picks.
Speaker 3: Okay, I would be entirely fine with it. Honestly.
Speaker 7: One of the arguments that we had last year when we're arguing about edge rusher versus defensive.
Speaker 1: Tackle, your strength is super strength.
Speaker 3: Make your strength the super strength.
Speaker 7: And the fact that you weren't able to extend Kenny Clark or my goodness, Quentinn Williams this offseason, I think is part of my philosophy there where it's like, you don't know how much longer you have these guys, if they're going to be here past next year, So, in my opinion, like beef that up as much as you possibly can and make it the dominant.
Speaker 3: Force that it needs to be.
Speaker 7: Ipically all all, for all intents and purposes, we've from what we've learned about Christie Parker's defense so far and all of the moves that they've made, you're not gonna be able.
Speaker 3: To run the ball in this team.
Speaker 7: So to me, make it even more of a of a competition there at defensive tackle. But uh, oh, Tito, considering he's more of a deaf guy. Now, if you draft a guy higher, yeah, make that that strength even more.
Speaker 1: Uh, I would typically agree with you on almost probably ninety plus. But because there are actual holes like there, I get it. There are not guys currently on this roster that I feel comfortable and confident with feeling some of these voids with this new system. And though he said we're gonna be versatile, we're gonna be We're gonna be multiple in the looks. And you want kind of Swiss army knives guys that could play multiple positions on this defense. You want an outside linebacker that could play you know, they could play you know, out, you know, I don't even know safety, and safety that could play corner. Like you want guys that are kind of multiple, I want. I want guys that can give some flex And if you're playing an interior DEFENSI alignment, you're just playing interior defense alignment.
Speaker 7: I think you have the luxury of doing that with two first round picks. If you decide to use both of those first round picks, I think you're able to take the best player available, regardless of the position.
Speaker 3: Maybe not quarterback, maybe not sure.
Speaker 1: So you would be okay using a first round pick on a backup, A backup. What that's what I'm saying, like, if you grab an interior defensilignment, they're a backup.
Speaker 4: If you're grabbing an offensive player, with the exception of maybe running back, it would maybe be a backup.
Speaker 3: Guys, I'm talking defense here, Yeah, I'm talking.
Speaker 7: So that's play's defensive player available.
Speaker 4: I thought not sit here, and over the course of me covering the draft for this organization, multiple times we've said they have no choice but to take defense only in the first round, in the first three rounds, and then take offensive players in the first round. I can't sit here and say that it's off the table for Dallas entirely.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 4: They could upgrade their offensive tackle spot if the right guy is there.
Speaker 1: They could add to wide receiver if.
Speaker 4: They don't feel confident that George Pickens is gonna stick around. They could add Jeremiah Love at the running back spot. Maybe not at twelve, but at twenty if he's there, Holy.
Speaker 1: Cow, would that be fun. Grab a kicker.
Speaker 4: I'm just now, I'm just saying, like, as much as we sit here and we're gonna pigeonhole defense all the way through, and I completely agree, Yeah, we cannot take it off the table.
Speaker 1: No, it's not off the table. It's just on the edge. It's just light bump is knocking it off. Yeah, exactly, just like that, just like that, like that. Yeah, No, I'm it's.
Speaker 3: Like season to broccoli. It's it's over there there, it's there.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna be like on seasoned broccoli, unseasoned dude, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: Hold cold brocky?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can't do it, extra pepper on that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, we got to take our second break. When we come back. I'm gonna play a little game with these guys. How about blind resumes for NFL draft prospects. Close your eyes and just imagine what they would fit like in this down defense when we come back with more talking cowboys after this.
Speaker 10: If you shout how about them cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't.
Speaker 3: Be beat better.
Speaker 10: Yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious, ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 3: The wins will be even tasteier. It's a pepper thing.
Speaker 4: Cowboys fans, We've got big news. Black Rifle Energy is now available at Texas seven eleven stores, and for a limited time, you can score two cans for just six dollars at participating locations. These cans pack a serious punch, two hundred milligrams of caffeine, veteran crafted flavor, and the clean energy you need to power through those long days. So the next time you roll into your neighborhood seven eleven here in Texas, grab that two for six dollars Black Rifle in our deal and fuel up the American Way. Black Rifle Coffee America's Coffee.
Speaker 9: Getting eighteen t's best deal on the Samsung Galaxy S twenty six Ultra, Man, you realize I do deserve the best, Like this bubble bath with fancy soap and even as face.
Speaker 6: Masks learn how new and existing a tent customers can get the new sounds and Galaxy S twenty six Ultra with Galaxy AI for zero dollars with eligible trading any condition requires trading of Galaxy S twenty four plusy for five or new or installment plan and eligible wireless plan minimum sixty dollars a month before discounts for eightentty value two point zero subject to change. Visit att dot com slash on on some for details.
Speaker 4: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order.
Speaker 1: Plus.
Speaker 4: Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP to Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys. This segment is brought to you by in Fizzile Line, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys. We're smiling here thirty days out.
Speaker 1: From the NF. Let's freaking go, Kyle. I know, I'm excited. Whoo exciting. This is the best.
Speaker 4: Lead in in the NFL calendar for me other than training camp.
Speaker 1: I do love training camp. The last time the Cowboys had two first round picks two thousand and eight, I think, no, wow, it's been a while.
Speaker 4: I shouldn't know that off the top of my head, but I don't. All right, blind resumes. These are NFL draft prospects that right now on my list are very close in terms of rankings, maybe not draft grade, but rankings. They're what we call touching tag, and they're different types of players. So I want you to tell me what's going to fit. Without talking about the name of the prospector of the school, or what they went through or did from a conference standpoint or anything like that. This is just measurements and some tiny traits to think about and what they would fit in Christian Parker's defense. So start at linebacker, and we're trying to get through maybe two positions here. The first linebacker is six foot one two and thirty pounds and he's twenty one years old.
Speaker 1: Got it all.
Speaker 4: He had eight tackles for loss three and a half sacks eighty eight tackles in thirteen games against premium competition. He did not test during the Combine or his pro day because he had some knee swelling and he did not want to inflammatory that, but he did go through drills. He is listed as a green dot potential immediately and can call the plays on the defensive side of the ball.
Speaker 1: Feel pretty good about it. That are cool?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Green dots potential. The other linebacker, linebacker number two, is six foot two, two forty pounds, so a little bit bigger, a little bit taller than the last linebacker. He is also twenty one years old. He did test. He went four to five one in the forty. He had a thirty seven inch vertical that's ten and a half inch broad downhill runner, but a tendency.
Speaker 1: To over sell when he runs downhill and he attacks.
Speaker 3: You already got one of those.
Speaker 1: You got a couple of those.
Speaker 3: You got a couple of those.
Speaker 4: But those are your two options, linebacker one and the linebacker two. If you have any questions, I will clarify, but I will not give hints.
Speaker 1: Speak through that one more time, okay, c J, I let's breaking go. Well, I'll do it.
Speaker 3: For knocking goal.
Speaker 5: See that I was in his mind.
Speaker 3: Not blind anymore.
Speaker 1: Well darned. Yeah, we're so disappointing.
Speaker 5: I went through so much this you did to make this happen.
Speaker 1: I was leaning towards number two? Were you I was?
Speaker 3: I was going number one. I don't want the green dot.
Speaker 1: You want the green dot potential.
Speaker 3: I want the green dot potential.
Speaker 4: They don't necessarily tab the second linebacker as a green dot potential.
Speaker 1: But yes, J Allen is number one. That is a linebacker.
Speaker 5: I'll give you the linebacker too. I'll say six dogs, six foot two two and forty.
Speaker 4: Pounds, twenty one years old. Do you have any guesses? I know you've listened to the draft show a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, that Rodriguez.
Speaker 1: It is not right. He was another one. I was thinking about putting in this organiza.
Speaker 4: Or putting in this, but I decided c J. Allen and Rodriguez from like a testing and a side standpoint.
Speaker 1: Are actually very comparable.
Speaker 3: Is that the LSU guy?
Speaker 4: No, it is not the LSU guy. Okay, it is Anthony Hill Junior out of Texas. That is the tomic and linebacker picked the second he probably would have.
Speaker 1: But which one you would have leaned to. I would have leaned to. Like, over aggressiveness doesn't bother me because the only thing that you need for that is.
Speaker 3: Great coaching discipline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you, it's hard to get somebody to turn that switch on if they don't have that switch. I'd rather them have that switch and be able to pull them back and say, hey, let the game come, do you You know I'm saying, pick and choose your battles. But like, if somebody does not have not to say that. Most linebackers don't. But if you don't have that trigger, you can't just copy and paste that into somebody's you know, freaking genealogy.
Speaker 3: It's not there one hundred percent.
Speaker 7: But one of the things that I've kind of pulled at least from the combine, one of the things that they kept kind of repeating over and over, especially the Christian Parker side of things, was brain works and to me, that green Dot aspect, the fact that he was such a cerebral player, to me is indication of where the Cowboys would lean. And honestly, that was just a preference for me to begin with.
Speaker 4: And there was a comment in the chat that I kind of want to clarify a little bit here, Sonny wants to said so Kyle, Christian Parker saying that after the scheme or altering the scheme to your players was just blowing smunk because he wants a specific type and I said that in the last segment. He really wants a specific type, specific type of player, not necessarily a specific type of build.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Right, he wants the serementally, he wants the work ethic, he wants all of that stuff. He's not going to mess around with anything other than that. From a system and an ex's and O standpoint, I think he is going to mold to whatever they end up getting. Even though a three to four is different. You're going to have to find certain guys to fit into that three four system here in year one because you've never really run that in the past. So that's where that's where we're kind of basing the measurements off of compared to the type of player that Christian Parker would want across the board.
Speaker 5: All right, let's go to corner and I'm going to try not to mess this one up.
Speaker 1: This timmer right right.
Speaker 4: All right, Corner number one, six foot, one hundred and ninety three pounds. He does have long arms or longer arms, I should say, thirty one and three eighths across the board. Ran a four four four forty yard dash in the NFL Combine, and he had a forty and a half vertical. He's a ten and a half inch broad jump, and he plays with kind of the physicality of a box safety.
Speaker 1: It's at corner like that. I knew as soon as you say he was six foot, I knew he had.
Speaker 4: To have he had to have some of those things across the board. So that's corner number one, corner number two. He is a little bit smaller, five foot eleven one and eighty six pounds. He did not run, but he did the jumps. He did thirty four inch vertical, ten to three broad jump. He did bench as well. He had seventeen reps on the bench across the board. Comes from some good bloodlines at the position, and he has a blend of athleticism inside to play size, to play inside or outside, and he did play both inside and outside during his time.
Speaker 7: One would you argue the second one is undersized in general or kind of the h what you already have currently.
Speaker 4: Like what you already have in terms of boundary corners. Yeah, I would probably probably put him in the same category. I would play him a nickel and I would love it, okay, and I think he would be an awesome nickel.
Speaker 3: Would you argue you already got your nickel.
Speaker 1: In Jalen Thompson.
Speaker 4: No, oh, in Kobe Durant, Yes, similar type of player, but this guy says.
Speaker 1: More of a dog.
Speaker 3: Give me option one.
Speaker 1: Option one. Yes, that is Colton Hood out of Tennessee. Colton Hood thought.
Speaker 4: To be maybe more of an option at twenty than he would be at twelve. Yes, but still a very viable cornerback option. Let's say you miss out on Monsor de Laine at twelve, who's probably high and above the number one corner in the NFL draft. If you miss out on him at twelve and you miss it, let's say you don't want to go with your mom McCoy. Who's the other Tennessee corner who's coming off of an injury, hasn't played in a year, that kind of thing. Then twenty could be where you take your corners, and that's where Colton Hood. And then number two is x Avion Terrell from Clemson, who I really do like and I think he would be a phenomenal nickel and if you need it him to go outside, I think he's Deron Bland two point zero. That's who I think he and I think he's more polished coming out of school.
Speaker 1: Than versatility guys. They can play safety and cover. That's what That's what I believe that Christian Parker is going for, because you want to be multiples. You want to be able to have three safeties in the back. You want to be able to have you know, your nickel, your dime, whatever it may be, no matter what the offense puts out there. We have a guy that can cover you, and we have a guy that can come up and hit. Yeah. So a couple of different options for you? Which one we're watching one?
Speaker 4: You were leaning toward one, you were also leaning toward one. Okay, there you go.
Speaker 1: Well what about you? What would what would your I have Colton Hood ranked higher.
Speaker 3: Do you think he's going to be there twenty though?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I think so. I think you would. I have them touching tags.
Speaker 4: Colton Hood is my corner four, uh and Terrell is my corner five okay, behind Delanne McCoy, and then I have Brandon CSA at three. I think I might flip Hood, depending on I want to watch a little bit more tape of these guys, but I might flipped the two.
Speaker 1: But I have I have c say above Hood in Terrell. Nice.
Speaker 3: Thank you Kyle. I like that game.
Speaker 1: Yeah we may let's keep doing with that. Yeah as we give along.
Speaker 5: That does it for us here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Hope to have Patrick back next week. Once again, well wishes to our guys. He is probably out of surgery by now, I would hope, but uh, we'll hope to have him back very very soon.
Speaker 5: For Patrick, No see Walker, who's not here?
Speaker 4: Josh Rodriguez, we get for Isaiah stand back Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeoman saying so long from Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 1: We'll see you next week.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.