Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club Cowboys. This is Mick Shot streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys have now Here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humuller, Everson Walls, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 2: It's a Monday morning at eleven o'clock and there are football players on a football field at the Star in Fresco, and this is Mick Shots, minus the great Everson Walls. We're gonna try to make do for the next hour here inside the SWBC podcast studio. And there is a reason that Savannah has a huge smile on her face this victory Monday for her Dallas Stars.
Speaker 3: Well, we're advancing to round two the Stanley Cup playoffs.
Speaker 4: And Mickey and I were both at the game last night.
Speaker 2: You're both at the game, absolutely all right.
Speaker 4: Very happy.
Speaker 3: Yes, Yes, it was down to the wire game seven, and in the third period Roddick Foxa came back scored the goal, the game winning goal, and here we are round two.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 5: I didn't think anything could beat the Game seven with Boston the other night.
Speaker 4: It was a great game when it.
Speaker 5: Went overtime and I'm going wow. And then it was heading towards overtime again and I'm going, oh no. And Foxa came through after not playing in games what three, four, five, Game two?
Speaker 2: I think yeah.
Speaker 4: So it was his first ever game seven goal.
Speaker 2: So big night for him, biggest goal of his life. And now the Stars move on to the second round and the Mavericks have moved on to the second round. And I have a proposal I would like to be. I'll volunteer my services to be the commissioner of sports.
Speaker 4: Please do we need it.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of straight.
Speaker 2: We need a commissioner of sports who has the interest of all sports fans in mind. Where you'd win for only the third time in thirty years. You have a basketball team and a hockey team from the same market, and they, for the third time in thirty years, they both advanced to the second round of the playoffs, and you schedule their games at exactly the same time in the second round of the playoffs, on the same day, same day, same time. It's Tuesday. It's Thursday for games one and two at eight thirty the MAVs in Oklahoma City. The Stars at home against Colorado, and then they play on the same day on Thursday, on Saturday, and then again on Monday and next Wednesday. If he goes to five games. Darn MAVs.
Speaker 5: They needed to get the fourth seed. What would have happened they were.
Speaker 2: Would the NFL do that? No? No, that's right.
Speaker 3: Thirteen of which the NFL schedule is set to be released this week, so we will know a little.
Speaker 2: Bit more if it is. If it comes out on Wednesday, then the Stars and the Mavericks will both take a back seat their play their second round playoff game will take a back seat on CBS eleven Sports to the NFL schedule coming out.
Speaker 5: The games are Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Tuesday, Thursday. I'm sorry. If it comes out on Thursday, then it'll take a back seat to the Yeah, be prepared, Okay, Thursday. Thursday's the day you say, that's what you're thinking thinking.
Speaker 4: Okay, and it's May ninth something around there.
Speaker 2: That would be Thursday, yes, yeah, so you better. Okay, so Thursday you watch and we will have we will have NFL the Cowboys schedule.
Speaker 5: The other games won't be over so you have.
Speaker 2: That, right, and so that's that's one of the reasons that we since the other games will be in progress at ten o'clock, I can start with Cowboys there and then get ridiculed by my friends who say, how come you always lead with the cowboys when it's May.
Speaker 5: I wonder if the Rangers are playing that day.
Speaker 2: They I think they are off that day actually, But anyway, when they go to we Digress.
Speaker 5: Well how about that? By the way, So the Rangers take two out of three. Over the weekend, Stars advanced, the MAVs advance, and the Dallas Arlington Wings won their exhibition called the Dallas Dallas.
Speaker 2: They are the Dallas. It's the Renegades, and they are now and six on the season.
Speaker 5: Already, you're going to fire the head coach.
Speaker 2: After a championship season last year.
Speaker 5: Big Game Bob isn't looking too good right now.
Speaker 2: He's lost. Big Game Bob is lost on last minute field goals, and virtually every game this season. I think, well, but he still gets to say paid the same amount of money. So even though there were seven thousand people in the stands at Ford Field in Detroit yesterday for the Renegade, oh right, and announced an announced well, it was an announced crowd of seven thousand at ford Field.
Speaker 5: So since you brought up the schedule, I was kind of looking at the opponents. We knew the opponents, right, we've already.
Speaker 2: Can you review of us on the opponents, I can't. For those of us who can't remember.
Speaker 5: The Cowboys' home opponents will be their three NFC East foes.
Speaker 2: I got that down.
Speaker 5: They're also playing the NFC South, so that'll be New Orleans and Tampa Bay. They play the winner of the NFC North, which is Detroit. They play the AFC North Baltimore, Cincinnati, and their extra game is Houston.
Speaker 2: So these are the home games.
Speaker 5: Okay, so they got one extra home game this year.
Speaker 2: Okay, run through them one more time.
Speaker 5: Washington, New York, Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: Gay Washington, New York, Philadelphia. I'm just thinking quarterbacks coming in here. So you got Jaden Daniels coming in and then the incumbents.
Speaker 5: Which was pretty funny since you brought up Jaden Daniels. NFL Network No, NFL dot Com picked ten games to watch. Number seven was the Cowboys Washington because they're going to be playing Jaden Daniels in the first time in the big rivalry. Along with Armstrong Fowler and the Yottish they failed to mention that the head coach was coordinator.
Speaker 3: They forgot that. Got Quinn, yeah.
Speaker 2: Which is probably the most significant part.
Speaker 6: Of that.
Speaker 5: Who intimately knows this Cowboys defense and probably everything he needs to know about the offense.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Okay, so do you think that Quinn will have a greater impact on the Washington franchise or will it be Beattish, Armstrong or Fowler.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go with Quinn.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go with Quinn.
Speaker 5: Continue on, Okay, the away games, saying no.
Speaker 2: I want the rest of the home games because I want to I want to purchase my tickets quarterback for the home games because I want to run through the quarterbacks.
Speaker 5: Right, Okay, New Orleans, Okay, not so much.
Speaker 2: Huh, Tampa bayre Carr coming in again? You want to see Tampa Bay. Got Baker Mayfield coming in. Okay, you got Jared Goff coming in looking for new quarterbacks. You've got Lamar Jackson coming in.
Speaker 5: Cincinnati, got Joe Burrow coming in and Houston and you get c J stre.
Speaker 4: Good home games?
Speaker 2: Are they? Well?
Speaker 4: I mean, we still we were still correct? Correct?
Speaker 3: However, can we just recall the fact that we had so many home game wins in a row, and it was obviously the green Bay loss that was our last one. But let's not the home field advantage that the Cowboys have.
Speaker 2: So but anyway, you have Lamar Jackson, Joe Burrow, c J. Stroud, Jared Goff, there's another probo type quarterback, Mayfield and car and then Daniels Hurts coming in.
Speaker 5: So you don't want to throw in Daniel Jones.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, away games, away games at obviously the three San Francisco. Okay, playing at party at Atlanta, Okay, cousins.
Speaker 5: Cousins you think, or will it be Carolina?
Speaker 2: Okay, you got the top pick in the draft last year, Pittsburgh and oh Russell Wilson, Yeah, and Cleveland and well it won't be Watson. So it's just right because he never plays right. So so would you rather have those for as far as this now, as far as selling tickets, that's a that's a high profile list of quarterbacks coming in here, But would you rather play the less high profile, the lower profile quarterbacks for home games? It kind of evens out the home court home field advantage there. If you've got quarterbacks coming in here.
Speaker 3: I think they're tough on both sides. All I know going to be is, yeah, but you.
Speaker 2: Got that home field advantage that gets negated sometimes.
Speaker 5: When I it they've got to the burrow here at home before. Yeah, they've got to play eleven games, play eleven games against teams with winning records from twenty twenty three, eleven nine games against playoff teams from twenty twenty three, and three of the four conference championship games teams that participated in the championship games. So, and it was just their luck this year to have to play the AFC North when all four teams had winning records. So they will have one of the toughest opponent records going into this coming season. So that'll all be pointed out when the schedule comes out, but.
Speaker 2: It can be pointed out now. And then I'm looking at one website which says schedule strength of schedule as the Cowboys at twenty second.
Speaker 5: No, that's got to be last year.
Speaker 2: No, it's twenty twenty four. NFL Strength of Schedule twenty second. Well, I guess there's a bunch of teams, oh the heart, No, I'm sorry, The hardest is thirty two. So this is based on wicket so they're basically top eleven hardest schedule, which makes sense.
Speaker 5: And what happened was because they've got to play twice against Washington and Giants, it pulled it their strength.
Speaker 2: See that's the thing that the easiest last year because they were coming off they were having all the NFC East teams coming off bad seasons whatever, which is why it's ludicrous.
Speaker 5: And they got to play Atlanta and Carolina. The whole strength of schedule thing is they had bad Yeah, because it's not what the team is now, it was what it was. So anyway, be prepared for that to be fit into the local sports scene this week.
Speaker 2: And so and then the as I mentioned off the top, we have football players on a football field. It starts the second week that the cowboy coaches are allowed to be out on the field. And they're out there and they are And so my question as I walk down the hallway to the s WBC podcast studio for Mixed Shots brought to you by Miller Lyte, was I wonder when the rookies get here?
Speaker 5: So this weekend, right, rookie.
Speaker 4: Minicamp's setting you all up Fridays.
Speaker 5: Oh, they probably get.
Speaker 3: Here, go Mickey, we have Rookie Minicamp. Rookie Minicamp Friday Saturday here at the Star, get some of those rookies in. They're going to start testing out their skill sets and putting in a little bit of work. And you know what, I will say, I wanted to mention over at the Sports Academy next door.
Speaker 4: Here at the Star.
Speaker 3: I had realized that they have a big O line. It's called O Line Masterminds Training. Cooper Bebee was one of those guys that was training under that program. And then last week Tyler Geiton was in there already starting a couple of workouts with those trainers on that side.
Speaker 2: So are you able to go in there and spy on their workouts?
Speaker 4: I don't think so good, I don't believe.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: However, they've posted a few videos at the guys, so those are online.
Speaker 5: So all those guys will come into town on Thursday, take their physicals, and then have what twenty some guys on the field on Friday and Saturday Sunday. They're here. It's not open to the media, but it's not like they're going to go out there and play football because they don't have enough people to man every position and go eleven on eleven. So it's turned into a half hour or so on the field and a lot of meetings.
Speaker 4: Is it more getting acclimated with Yes.
Speaker 5: It's the whole.
Speaker 2: It's basically rookie orientation time.
Speaker 5: Back in the day, they actually went out there and did like a the essence of a veteran mini camp. They went at it and guys were out of shape because they're all getting ready for the draft, right, so they're not really practicing football. And then they would come here and it'd be ninety degrees with seventy percent humidity and people would get sick on the field.
Speaker 2: It's freshman orientation, that's what it is. Remember freshmen orientation Sissouri. It was it harder then you think, the freshman orientation than what it is now for incoming freshmen at colleges across.
Speaker 5: The I bet it's the same. What do you think had to start picking uh classes during freshman orientation?
Speaker 2: See, it was harder than Yeah, they don't do that. You couldn't do it online back then, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's easier now you can. If you need to do all the things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you had to get in line and go to each You had to get a.
Speaker 2: Card, right, you had a hard copy of Seriously, it was a lot harder. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And then you don't know which classes you should take and shouldn't take, right, So.
Speaker 2: You actually had to go to class. You couldn't take them online back then, aren't you?
Speaker 5: And there was no recording of the lecture either.
Speaker 2: By the way, you had to take your own tests.
Speaker 5: You had to take your.
Speaker 3: Own notes, hence why Mickey always has a legal pad with them.
Speaker 5: That's right, take the notes.
Speaker 2: Uh, that's right. Well, okay, So which, even though they're not doing much? Okay, which rookies in this class, would you be most interested in seeing for yourself up close and personal and talking to and getting to know?
Speaker 5: So after hearing their interviews after the draft, reading about him, I wrote on Friday my favorite player without having really without having actually seen him actually play.
Speaker 4: Did we discuss this last week?
Speaker 5: Although I did see him play, I just didn't know he was in the game when Missouri beat Kansas.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, on a walk off field. Good by that pudgy kicker.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 5: Cooper Bebee was playing left guard for the Wildcats. And I'll be interested to see.
Speaker 2: If we would have known then what we know now. About the Kansas State offensive line and the Missoury defensive line. Right, we could have looked at that. Whenever Darius Robinson, the first round draft pick of the Arizona Cardinals, lined up over Cooper Bbe, we would have gotten a big green notebook preview of the draft.
Speaker 5: And that's why.
Speaker 2: We need to spend our summer. We need to spend our summer studying the college prospects. College football season would be much more enjoyable for us.
Speaker 5: I did see highlights of BB against Oklahoma, by the way, and against Texas, And now Texas has two guys that got drafted right first and second round. Yes, and he stood those guys up in past protection. And then the year they had one from the year before, and the unsuspecting Demarvian Overshown came in blitzing and got the living daylights knocked out of him by Bbe. So I'm thinking he's not half. I need to see him in practice when they actually maybe once a week have contact.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Yes, Cooper BB is your guy.
Speaker 5: Cooper BB.
Speaker 2: I want to mix a man to watch.
Speaker 5: I want to see if anybody gets put in the dirt.
Speaker 2: Gets dirted by Cooper Bright.
Speaker 5: And if he can make be serious though, if you know how the transition starts going to center, because my understanding is that after practices they had offensive linemen kind of playing at different positions.
Speaker 2: I think the important thing to remember about most of these colleges where you've got a guy like Cooper bb who played a little bit of tackle I think as well in college, but mainly a guard. Okay, he had not played center. And I think a lot of times what you see with these colleges, and you see it with NFL teams too, it's the more athletic players will play guard or tackle, and you might have, especially in college, a smaller but cerebral type player who when you're getting your five offensive your top five offensive linemen on the field, the guy who is less athletic but who can make the line calls and so forth, will play center. Just because Cooper Beebee did not play center, it may be because he was better served to play guard because he was more athletic than the other offensive lineman that Kansas State had. Doesn't mean he can't play center, but they probably had a lesser player who's playing center for them. And because to get your best five out there.
Speaker 5: And as kind of smart as he is that he I saw the interview and he was saying, well, I was having to make some of the line calls, playing guard and recognize what everybody was doing. So like on Tuesday, So after we had our show last week, I get this text from Dave Campbell who's in Jacksonville, and Camp's doing analysis work for one of the radio stations there, so he kind of covers the Jaguars and he texted me and said, Cooper Bebe is the best best pick the Cowboys made. He's a beast. Have a great day. Then he came back with I wanted him here in Jacksonville big time. But if not here, then Dallas. He's a big nasty which is exactly what Jacksonville doesn't have. So, for what it's worth, the former Cowboy head coach and defensive coordinator analyze Cooper Beby knew about him. How about that?
Speaker 2: Very good? So ringing endorsement there for Cooper Bebe. Now we find out so what about you guys, you guys, well, how about we do that when we come back? All right here on Mixed Shots brought to you by Miller Lyte.
Speaker 6: In just a moment, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: I'm the fresh guy who looks right, it's not there. He escapes laft, He'll look for a pumps down.
Speaker 6: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 2: Prescott's gonna rub this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 6: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 6: Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 7: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound.
Speaker 4: Like something is missing.
Speaker 7: Pepsi baby, the yin to this Burger's yang. Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of let us, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice cool kola a journey to footopia.
Speaker 4: Burgers better with pepsi, That's what I like.
Speaker 8: The medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 9: Did you know that responding to one spam call can lead to more? Or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the phone? Beat scammers at their own game By subscribing to AARP FraudWatch Network alerts and texts. At AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX, you can sign up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's AARP dot org slash beat Scammers TX, demitt Shuts.
Speaker 3: Country Music is rocking the Star in Frisco with a free multi day fan festival ahead of the big show. Come celebrate country Music's party of the Year at the ACM Country Kickoff May fourteenth and fifteenth. The fun starts each day at three pm with live performances from the newest country music stars, pop up shops, exclusive artist merch, a beer garden, food trucks, and much more. Visit acmcuntrykickoff dot com for more info.
Speaker 2: What's the dates again?
Speaker 3: If this is on May fourteenth and fifteenth, next week here at the Star.
Speaker 2: Okay? So next week big week?
Speaker 4: Wow, country music coming to the Star.
Speaker 5: That's right, got anything to do with that?
Speaker 4: You know what? I actually do not?
Speaker 5: I do not have any everything else.
Speaker 4: I maybe I'll come in say.
Speaker 2: Stars will be playing Tuesday Monday, Right, Monday, will be Game four on that away at Colorado next Wednesday, unless they sweep them exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there you go, Bell, We'll see about that.
Speaker 2: You're not confident? How about how about how quickly that the Stars have to get ready to play their next series.
Speaker 5: And we haven't.
Speaker 2: We just talked about your Colorado.
Speaker 5: We understand why though.
Speaker 3: There's a concert at the AAC on Wednesday night. Okay, And so with that scheduling conflict, this was the only slots that they could do for home.
Speaker 2: But it seems like it's all the the NHL, more than any league that plays seven game series, whether it be baseball or or well compared to basketball, they go as quickly as can be into the next round. And they don't care that Colorado has been sitting there for a week and hadn't played a game, and Mavericks are in the same boat where you know, they played all the way they went till Friday. They could have gone to Sunday, but Oklahoma City, they finished with their series back on last Monday or Tuesday. Theyll be sitting there for eight days, rested up for them, and Colorado's rested up for seven or eight days before they come here.
Speaker 5: Play their stale.
Speaker 2: That's possibility.
Speaker 5: I mean, they would have done it because when I look today till Savannah in clued me in, Edmonton and Vancouver are starting on Wednesday, and it's like, well they've.
Speaker 2: Been done concert. That's why that was the reason. Good to know, that's good knowledge there. But how about that? I mean, we talk about it with the NFL, where how much preparation time goes into each opponent each week. And you hear you got an NHL team they just played a Sunday night game. Seven fortunate ladies are at home. They don't have to travel for their first playoff game in the second round. But they literally are coming back today. They're handed their skill, They probably out their scouting report when they left the building last night, and then they're coming in for one day today, and then they got to play a game tomorrow, game one of the series. And this after an emotional you for it Game seven on Sunday night where they avenged their playoff loss a year ago against the defending Stanley Cup champs, and then they could come back and play two days later.
Speaker 5: It's tough, really, so don't have too much hope.
Speaker 2: For Game one Tuesday night.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I mean think about it, because it was a huge, emotional, electric thing. I don't think I've seen the AAC popping like that.
Speaker 4: It was the loudest I have ever heard an arena.
Speaker 5: And the after basically the handshake line, all the questions then turned to Colorado. He can't even sell it's that quick, all right? All right?
Speaker 2: Mickey told us the guy, the rookie that he's looking forward to being at rookie Mini Camp and beyond on this from this Cowboys draft, and that's Cooper Beebe, the third round pick out of Kansas State Savannah. Do you have one that you would like to throw out there.
Speaker 4: I do. I'm actually very excited to talk to the.
Speaker 3: Second round pick, Marshaun Neeland our new edge, which I think he is a very big possibility that it's a DeMarcus Lawrence two point zero that we have on our hands.
Speaker 4: So really excited to talk to him.
Speaker 3: Obviously working in that position group and just being able to get that.
Speaker 4: Leadership from DeMarcus Lawrence.
Speaker 3: I'm interested to kind of talk to him about that, but also his time at Western Michigan and you know, just that excitement coming in here to be a Cowboy and playing on our defense under Zimmer.
Speaker 5: You know, I went back and looked at a couple big boards, and I don't know if there's a big board in the Big Green Notebook, but one had him ranked at so the thirty ninth top player in the draft, and another had him the thirty second. And so the Cowboys got.
Speaker 2: Him at fifty six.
Speaker 5: Fifty six, yep. So a lot of people thought a lot of this of this guy.
Speaker 3: He was a senior captain at Western Michigan. One hundred and ten tackles in his senior season, fifteen tackles for lost, eight sacks, and twenty catches for three hundred thirty yards and five touchdown grabs on offense.
Speaker 2: So what Yeah, I gotta see that.
Speaker 3: Second paragraph on the bottom mark.
Speaker 2: You know, Nilan. The thing about him, he didn't have very good stats and those are this you're talking his high school stats there, right, Captain. Yeah. His The thing about is his stats in college were one negative that people would cite. I want I want a guy that has more sacks, and we talked about that where you know, in the college game, they get the ball out so quickly that a lot of times it's it's I think you look at more quarterback pressures than you do sacks as to whether a guy's effective or not. Case in point, Tyler Geydon, Okay, he gave up no sacks at Oklahoma last year, is the right tackle and Mickey's favorite service, Pro Football Focus graded him with like a fifty nine grade on his pass protection. Well, he gave up no sacks, but he did give up a number of quarterback pressures. But the college quarterbacks and college offenses with the RPOs and so they get the ball out so quickly that it's very difficult to come up with a sack. An actual set now you can effect a play. But and they don't need to the point that it's not even enough official statistic in college football stats, you know, like it is in the NFL. It's basically done just by each school.
Speaker 5: Well play the run, and I think that's.
Speaker 2: One and that's why, right That's what Savannah, what you point out about him being DeMarcus Lawrence two point zero is he's a guy that looks like he can play the run, and he is much more the he will be when we hopefully DeMarcus plays a number more years. But he is the heir apparent to d law at that left base strongside defensive end when you look at his measurables.
Speaker 3: Which I think is good too, because when I look at the defense, I also look at these position groups and as far as leadership goes, you see DeMarcus Lawrence a big leader as far as edge goes. And then you look at the linebackers and I would say, you know, right now you have Eric Kendricks as a leader in that department right now. Also for you know corner, you're looking at probably digs in that area.
Speaker 4: So a lot of leaders.
Speaker 3: So it's interested to see how these rookies come in and they get to follow some of that leadership and then you know, see if there's something there for them as they grow into their career in the NFL.
Speaker 5: What's the Big Green notebook say about Kneelan?
Speaker 2: No, Oh, you know, I'm just I'm just intrigued by Guidon because of what the Cowboys scouts, how they feel about Guiden and his potential, and I think that's the biggest thing about We were sitting here on an NFL network during the break, We're watching their showing the Rams Lions playoff game and I look up. I see Aiden Hutchinson put this move on the left tackle for the Rams, number seventy seven. I'm going to who the heck is that playing left tackle for the Rams and had to look it up. It's a Laric Jackson who was a college free agent and he's the starting left tackle. And the Rams did nothing in the draft as far as shoring up their left tackle. Of course, they had Andrew Whitworth, who when they won the Super Bowl was forty years old playing left tackle, and you know, multiple time Pro Bowler at that position. They've they've done nothing to to improve that position and still got into the playoffs. Last year, and so I'm thinking even in the NFL these days, it's a different game than what it was even a decade ago, where you can have a guy and I think this may be into the Cowboys thinking when they're when you have Geititon and other left tackles who have those traits, the long arms, the link that that Guidon has, that you can you can coach them into being a not just a serviceable left tackle, but one who can excel in this league because you do get the ball out quicker even in the NFL than what you did in years past. There's different things that they can do offensively to help them out as well. But that's I think that's the most intriguing thing about this draft because the expectations that they have for Tyler Geydon, that he's got to his the pressure is on him to come in here and earn a starting position at left tackle right off the bat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it'll be interesting to see if there's actual competition there. I was talking to Nate in Frisco and he was like, so what happened to awesome Richards? You know talking about young guy.
Speaker 2: Of course was a fifth round draft.
Speaker 5: He was a fifth round pick, and he kind of played some guard, he played some tackle, didn't really play in the games. And so it'd be interesting because I don't think they're just going to automatically hand the job to get and they want them to win it.
Speaker 2: What did they do with Travis Frederick when he was a first round draft pick coming in here? I want to say he went right in where he first starter, first OTA workouts of the and he was a first round there.
Speaker 5: Was nobody to compete with. If you remember where the offensive line was in twenty twelve, and I remember this distinctly, Jason Garrett telling me why they took a center. He said, for the last two years, my centers were in the quarterback lap when we were run blocking. So center was a huge need for the Cowboys at that time.
Speaker 2: And then okay, so Nathan Firstco asked about Awesome Richards. What about Matt Weillletskoyeah, it was a fifth round draft pick two years ago. He could stay healthy and that's the issue with him, and see if he and see well let's go, okay, well, let's go actually has when you just look at his length, his with his measurables there, he is right there with Tyler Goeiton as a as a left tackle prospect at six seven and a half three hundred and twelve pounds and thirty six inch arms. Okay Geydon six' eight three twenty two and he's got thirty four inch arms. His his arms are actually longer than Geyiton's arms. The problem with Matt will let's go that he's had even when he came in here as a rookie, is the shoulder. Yeah, and you got your best availability. Your best ability is your availability.
Speaker 5: And and just to look at what Mike McCarthy said after the draft that you know there's going to be competition. He pointed that out about the center position with brock Hoffman pointed out that there'll be good competition there. And I guarantee you brock Hoffman, who brings his lunch pail to work every day, is not going to just roll over and give the starting center job to the rookie. So it'll be interesting to see how all that in faults. One other guy that I talked to some people within the scouting department staff, whatever one pick they were really really interested in, is Kaylin Carson, the cornerback that he was a guy I think they Well, I don't think they drafted him in the fifth round, but I think he had a third third round grade up.
Speaker 3: He was projected to go third round according to NFL dot Com.
Speaker 5: Okay, so that's.
Speaker 3: Good there and him getting in the work with Al Harris and that group.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it sounds like he's an either or that he can play outside, but he can also play inside. And he's pretty physical cornerback. What you need if you're playing in the slot because at times you're gonna have to be forced to tackle. And so it'd be interesting to see how he fits in.
Speaker 2: I've got a trivia question for you. You mentioned who was playing center before Travis Frederick, and he always seemed to be in the quarterback's lap according to Jason Garrett. Okay, can you name who that center was? Who was the just Cowboys starting center in two thy twelve? Frederick was a first round pick thirty two overall in twenty thirteen.
Speaker 5: Got to the team as an undrafted free agent.
Speaker 2: Not oh but actually actually eight team twenty twenty twelve season. Who was the starting center for the Cowboys? Now you may be thinking of Phil Costa was a yes who started three games? Okay, he was a guard slash center, and he would he an undrafted player out of Maryland. Okay, but the guy who started eleven games at center was a second round draft pick of the Minnesota Vikings in two thousand and six out of New Mexico. And I have no memory of him being on this Cowboys team. Ryan Cook, do you have any memory of think Cook?
Speaker 5: Because Costa probably did it in twenty twelve.
Speaker 2: Ryan Cook, Well, that's what this is. Twenty twelve, he was a Costa started three games.
Speaker 5: It was even so.
Speaker 2: Costa started three games. Ryan Cook started eleven games at center for the Cowboys at twenty twelve. I sat here and looked at it and went Ryan Cook. I thought I was looking at the wrong roster. I thought it was I was looking at the Minnesota Viking roster. I do not remember Ryan Cook playing for the Cowboys, not at all, No, at all.
Speaker 5: I remember Costa. Yeah, and he was undersize.
Speaker 3: Too, you know, just speaking of the center position. I actually want to look at another team right now, Okay, with not necessarily the same similar situation to the Cowboys. But I want to talk about the Eagles for a second, because here you have Jason Kelsey retiring and so I was looking at the Eagles depth chart and their picks in the draft this year.
Speaker 4: They did not.
Speaker 3: Pick a center, which I was a little surprised by. They did get an offensive lineman and an offensive guard.
Speaker 4: Those were both.
Speaker 3: It was a fifth round pick Trevor Keegan from Michigan for a guard, and then in round six Dylan McCollen McMahon McMahon from North Carolina State. So I was kind of taking a look at their depth chart right now. They have slotted in Cam Jurgens, who was a second round pick for them in the twenty twenty two draft. But when you look at it, you have Jason Kelsey who was that primary center position for the Eagles, and now you kind of have a guy that when you take a look at it, Cam Jurgens didn't have a lot of playing time considering Jason Kelce was was there.
Speaker 4: So you have, you know, not the.
Speaker 3: Highest amount of depth at the center position for the Eagles, and here you have brock Hoffman. So a little bit similar of a similar like situation as far as looking at those centers.
Speaker 5: You mean other teams loose players too. I thought it was just the.
Speaker 2: Now Cam Jurgens started eleven games last year at guard for the Eagles guard and when they drafted Cam jur and this is this is why you have to it's not about the draft, is not about this season. It's about the next four seasons. You have to anticipate. Okay, who's going to And that's what the Cowboys do in the draft. They're you know, a lot of the outsiders are saying, well, we got to get a left tackle, We got to get whatever my position it might be because left in free agency, or we got to get a center because beyond is left in free agency. But you're looking more at Okay, you're anticipating. They anticipated two years ago that Kelsey might retire last year, so they drafted Cam Jurgens in the second round out of Nebraska two years ago. He did not start. He was a backup. And that's usually the way it works with anyone that's not a first round pick, is you're going to be a backup at least for a little while. And so it actually worked out for the Eagles where Kelsey went ahead and played and played well, didn't miss games, and so Jurgens was able to get a year under his belt as a backup and then he filled in when they had an injury at guard this year, made eleven starts, and now they the reason they didn't draft a center is because they feel like Jurgens is got and he has been he has been groomed to be the Kelsey replacement at center the couple of years. So but it's a great point because that is I was thinking the same thing with Philadelphia, that they might take a center, even in the first round. But what told you, uh, in fact, what did Let's see what the Eagles did there. They went with a cornerback in the first round, Quinnyon Mitchell, and then another cornerback in the second round, Cooper de Jene and then and edge rusher also in the second round, Jaylyx Hunt. When they did not take a center until the late rounds, that told you they believe in Cam Jurgens. And so what would have because the jury is still out on even on Cam Jurgens, even though though they picked him two years ago to be the heir apparent. Okay, now they got him in house and they see him for two years, and that shows you that they believe in Jurgens, that he can be the replacement.
Speaker 5: For Hi takes his place.
Speaker 2: At guard. Well, they've got the last year, they drafted a in the third round, Tyler Steen out of Alabama, and he, as far as I can tell, is projected to be the starter at right guard for them. And they also the other thing that they did to fortify their interior offensive line is in free agency they signed Matt Hennessy out of Atlanta and who was a center in college too, so they got that as a as a backup plan too.
Speaker 5: So other teams have guys they draft that don't start immediately.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right, that's right.
Speaker 5: Just ask there.
Speaker 2: Ideally, that's what you want. Ideally, you want your rookies not to have to start immediately. And that's the one of the things that were the Cowboys and the Eagles for that matter, in that position themselves because of how much money they're having to pay the quarterback and other positions wide receiver, two wide receivers in their case, they you have to have to have guys when you're in this position, you have to have your rookies or your second year players step up. And that's what the Cowboys are banking on from last year's draft.
Speaker 5: And if you think about it there, you know, I think Mike McCarthy has made mention of this. It's like, okay, you had a draft class the guys we took, but we had a team good enough to go twelve and five. So some of these guys had to wait their turn. You know what if and I don't know, it could have been disaster if there's no Jonathan Hankins, that mis Smith would have had to play because you know, they didn't have another, you know choice. And to the point thing with scoon Maker, you know Jason Ferguson, which, by the way, next segment we need to get into what we learned about people at the home run Derby on Winters. Oh yeah, but again there's somebody ahead of you. If you have a good team. These guys don't just automatically earn starting jobs.
Speaker 2: And here's the key on Guyden. It's going to be how quickly that he picks things up when he comes in here. Yes, they the expectation is that he will be your starting left tackle, but to Mickey's point, the Cowboys do have other options here. And when Tyler Goyton walks in the door for the first time this Friday, and more importantly, when he joins the veteran workouts next week. There are going to be other offensive linemen who have been in this league, including Matt will lets go, even including Awesome Richards last year, who are if they had to play a game Memorial Day weekend. Those guys are going to start ahead of Tyler Goyton obviously. But and so it's going to be how quickly can Guidon pick things up where he gains the confidence of the And we saw what Travis Frederick was like coming in here. He had loads of experience and a very good offense at Wisconsin, known for its offensive linemen, where they felt very comfortable that, yeah, this guy can handle it, didn't matter who was on campus already. There another great example of it you're going to see with the quarterbacks that were drafted early in this draft. Let's take, for instance, Drake May at New England. They got Jacoby Brissett there. Jacoby Brissett is a better NFL quarterback right now than Drake May is. I mean, and in probably three months from now, Jacoby Brissett is going to be a quarterback who is better suited to win football games for New England than Drake May is in September. Now They've got to make a decision. Is it more important to where is Drake may in his development? Even Minnesota. Minnesota's got JJ McCarthy there, and they also have Sam Donald. Sam Donald has been in the league. He knows what's going on. They are going to be with Sam Donald in September, starting at quarterback. They have a better chance of winning games than what we're JJ McCarthy likely will be. But they may go with JJ McCarthy because the investment in him and with what the future holds with him, and they take their lumps in the meantime and break up Atlanta And obviously Atlanta has yeah anyway, all right, home run derby time when we come back here on mix shots.
Speaker 8: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes, learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 10: Cowboys Football and Miller Lyte. What a pairing can Crag's a kickoff gates going waypast postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday Morning Swagger Brisket and the Smoker. Miller Lite and the Creek, America's team playing America's Greatest sport. Miller Lite the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Miller Time Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three, Miliberal and Company, Fort Orth, Texas.
Speaker 9: Did you know that responding to one spam call can lead to more? Or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the phone? Beat scammers at their own game. By subscribing to AARP Fraud Watch Network alerts and texts. At AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX, you can sign up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX.
Speaker 7: You know that sound anywhere is the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its proof cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for. Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping.
Speaker 4: There's no topping a cool pepsi. Finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 2: That's what I like, Tom Shuts.
Speaker 3: Register now for the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Youth Football and Dance Camps presented by Infizziline. Athletes of all skill levels, ages six to sixteen are invited to learn from the best this summer at Ford Center at the Star in Frisco. Register for two or three day camps before May seventeenth to save twenty five dollars.
Speaker 4: Visit Dallascowboys dot com slash.
Speaker 2: Camps UMM Jason Witten sons, Cooper and CJ. Whitten state champions once again at Liberty Christian the Nope, the Taps state track meet and they were on two state championship winning relay teams. Got some speed they do. There's a great picture. I actually reposted the picture of uh, I don't know. Cooper was handing off to CJ. Or vice versa on the relay, and they've got this look of determination as they're passing the baton to each other as they're running in one of the relays, and I posted that picture and then Jason with his helmet off running against Philadelphia and Apple doesn't fall far from the tree. My question is, do you think Jason Whitten ever won a sprint relay?
Speaker 5: Chan came from Mama. There you go.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you those kids though they've got they have some and they got some Jason Witten intensity about them. I did a story on them last fall, and those kids, one's going to be a senior and the other is going to be a sophomore. So they won state Class five A private school in Texas in the fall. They move up to Class six A this year, so it's gonna level of competition is going to be greater.
Speaker 4: But you said Liberty Christian.
Speaker 2: Liberty Christian and Argyle which is near Denton for those who don't live in the area. Anyway, if I'm a college coach, I'm looking at these wit and boys and I want those guys in my program. I'm just telling you.
Speaker 5: So he's got three more years as the head.
Speaker 2: Coach I would think, I mean probably, and we'll see. Yeah, And he's had opportunities. Colleges have called him, you know, and uh, but he wants to coach his kids. And so the oldest is going to be a senior this year and uh, and then the other boys going to be I've got a couple of girls too, I think. Anyway, so very cool.
Speaker 5: Toyo Romo was at the game last night with his boys.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 5: And I think, oh, I'm not sure. I thought one person they showed looked like Brian Anger, but I.
Speaker 2: Not, Which leads us to the home run derby, the Reliant home run Derby, which took place on Wednesday at Ryders Field here in Frisco, Texas, and a lot of money was raised for the Salvation Army once again one ndred.
Speaker 5: And forty five thousand dollars, well one hundred and four for the Salvation Army. And then the media portion of it, Uh, that was.
Speaker 2: How did you do in the media portion?
Speaker 5: May didn't invite me back. I raised some maybe three.
Speaker 2: How does that work?
Speaker 5: You got to hit the ball out of the infield and you on a fly and.
Speaker 2: In the media portion or in the both players.
Speaker 5: Still as long as you get the ball out of the infield, you get something. And then if you hit the the.
Speaker 2: Temporary that's a home run.
Speaker 5: But as for.
Speaker 2: Ferguson, okay, Jake Ferguson, he.
Speaker 5: Was hitting real home runs. As a matter of.
Speaker 2: Fact, you got to get more points for a real home run.
Speaker 5: Right, more money? Yeah, I think they do okay here to save the day a couple of times. I don't know if you've been to Rough Riders Stadium or whatever they call it.
Speaker 2: I think it's writers feel they're looking for a sponsor making it your interested.
Speaker 5: In left field, the division between there's not really a grand stand, but there's.
Speaker 2: We understand, yeah.
Speaker 5: And the street there's a bunch of trees. He was hitting them into the trees.
Speaker 3: How many how many do you think ahead out of the park, out of.
Speaker 2: The How come he didn't win the whole thing?
Speaker 5: Then probably didn't have enough singles.
Speaker 2: Did and let them win the thing? I think? So this is like Josh Hamilton in the home run derby at Yankee Stadium. Josh Hamilton in twenty ten or whatever year it was home run derby at Yankee Stadium put on the most awesome performance you could ever put on and yet he didn't win it because there was rounds right right.
Speaker 5: He bore himself out.
Speaker 2: So Jake Ferguson was Josh Hamilton.
Speaker 5: With the distance. But Anger I think might have put one or two out. And I think it was guys that have like leverage, like he's kind of tall and long arms. He was just knocking the snot out of the ball. And I think he said the last.
Speaker 2: That's why those guys get recruited, right, because guys with short arms don't get drafted.
Speaker 5: I heard Zeke was there too, He participated. He was a replacement somebody couldn't make it, and Zeke volunteered and he hit He hit a bunch over the you know, temporary fence. He was smacking the ball. It was amazing. But yeah, Anger and Ferguson were pretty impressive. So we learned something about those guys as athletes, which is always really important.
Speaker 2: Also, so if you were recruiting just off the home run derby, you would Jake Ferguson would be your first round draft.
Speaker 5: I bet he played I bet he played basketball, probably fouled out a bunch in high school. But uh, Brandon Cooks, I was for me that how well he hit too, by the way, so it was interesting. We also were able and I don't know if we talked about this. Savannah on her vacation ran into Brandon Aubrey skiing. He wasn't skiing, No, he was not, but he was out because he had an appendicitis, and so he's kind of not doing much kicking right now. He's still kind of recovering from that.
Speaker 3: That's the second case of appendicitis we've heard on this team outside of coach McCarthy in recent months.
Speaker 5: Oh that's right. I forgot about Mike's appendicitis brought he had to have surgery and so he's been He probably needed this. If you think about how much he kicked between the XFL it was xf USFLFL and the Cowboys season, I mean he kicked from February to January.
Speaker 4: There's no time in between.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you mentioned the USFL because, as we talked earlier in the show, there aren't a lot of fans watching these UFL games now the merger of the XFL and the USFL. However, I think there are Cowboys coaches or scouts that are watching these an eye out them. Keep in mind, two years ago. This is okay, So this is a homework assignment for you if you can stomach it, Mickey, okay, to watch these games. Keep in mind two years ago, who did the Cowboys get out of the USFL. They got a pro bowler in Cavante Turpin. Last year they got a pro bowler out of Brandon Aubrey out of the USFL. So they had a need two years ago. They certainly had to need a kicker. Last year. We were this time last year, we were going who in the world's gonna kick for the We were too fourth of July and we were like, who's going to kick for this team? And then finally they they signed this kicker out of the USFLA So, what position might they be scouting this year to try to find that they haven't filled in free agency, but they're going to sign someone out of the out of this UFL. What position? What group would you think it might be? They really haven't replaced Stefan Gilmore at cornerback either, have they They have not? All right, so there's there's three positions. We just edge rusher. Yeah, what do you think about that?
Speaker 5: You know, I watched those by the way, don't don't tell wait.
Speaker 2: So has anyone popped out at you. Did Brandon Aubrey catch your eye last year? Now? Cavante Turpin certainly the year before because we had some product knowledge, as Parcels would put it.
Speaker 5: I told you how Brandon Aubrey caught my eye. I get a text from Chris Boniole, who was the special teams coach in Birmingham and all that, Oh you got my guy, And I was like whoo and he was like this kid is really good.
Speaker 2: Keep in mind the Cowboys also have a direct line to the talent in that league because Darryl Johnston is in charge of the personnel.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, the one thing I've noticed is Michigan's on every every week. They're always on TV. You know the head coaches.
Speaker 2: For the Michigan Panthers. Yeah, no, Mike Nolan, Oh is it really? Does he wear a suit all the sidde?
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 5: That's a good one. That is a good Also, going back to the home run derby, I don't know if we said Anger had seventeen home runs, yeah, twenty he raised Eric Kendricks going to be a very good addition to this team, not only from a talent standpoint, and experience, but he likes to talk.
Speaker 2: Oh good about that. Yeah, we love that.
Speaker 5: We've got to have guys like that helping us out right. It seems like a really, really good guy and they He was asked about why he switched, he was somewhat committed to go to San Francisco and then sign with the Cowboys. His quote was, I feel I've got a lot to give and I want to be here with Mike, meaning Mike Zimmer. I think they were looking for depth at middle linebacker and he saw this was an opportunity to actually start and get on the field. You know, he's getting up in years, so no time to sit back right now. So I was pretty impressed with with him.
Speaker 4: Well, rookie, Minnie.
Speaker 2: Camp, here we come. And so we'll have the review next week. And uh so no Monday.
Speaker 5: Show, yeap, what did we tell Chris Wednesday?
Speaker 2: It's going to be Wednesday ten am is the next edition of mix Shots, and that will provide the opportunity for Everson Walls to be.
Speaker 5: Back, yes, because if it was Monday, he is out again on another golf outing.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, so we will chat at you again and the Mavericks and Stars will be moving on to the third round of the playoffs by the time we get back together after they sweep the second round series. When next Wednesday ten am for mickshots or eleven ten am for mix shots.
Speaker 5: Cowboys Yeah.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.