Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists at Comedy Central is America's only sorts for news. This is the Daily Shown with your host, Jordan Clappers.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the John Jordan Clipper.
Speaker 4: We got so much to talk about tonight. Donald Trump is looking for a new vice president. Kendrick and Drake are at war, and bring your dogs in the house at night, because Christy Nome is on the loose.
Speaker 3: So let's get into adlines.
Speaker 4: Let's kick things off right here in New York City, where Week three of the Donald Trump hush money trial kicked off with a stern warning for the defendant in chief.
Speaker 5: We just got that decision from the judge on whether or not Donald Trump has in fact violated his gag order again. And the judge has decided that yes, Donald Trump has now violated it for the tenth time, and he said going forward, if Donald Trump violates it again, he will consider jail time.
Speaker 6: Oh, you've done it now, Donald, If you violate that gag order for an eleventh time, the judge is gonna really consider jail time.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's strongly.
Speaker 4: Contemplating the possibility of consequences for your actions.
Speaker 3: Just one more chance.
Speaker 4: Look, I get that no judge wants to throw a former president into the slammer. But Donald Trump has the mind of a toddler. If there's one thing a toddler understands, it's that when mom and dad start counting like nine and a half, nine and three quarters, the brat has already won. Whether Trump is thrown in jail for a few days over the gag order or thrown in jail for a few years for the hush money scandal, He's still going.
Speaker 3: To be the next president.
Speaker 4: So let's get into the latest news and are good. Look at the polls, everybody. Let's get into the latest news and our ongoing converence of indecision twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Bright.
Speaker 4: Now, the presidential race is all about the veepstakes, and over the weekend, everyone desperate to be Trump's running mate gathered in mar A Lago.
Speaker 3: For a classic Trump beauty pageant.
Speaker 7: There are a lot of special gifts that are on Donald Trump's shortlist for VP, and Donald Trump today at may A Lago during that fundraiser, actually called a series of them up on stage and praised then.
Speaker 8: About Senator Tim Scott. He said, as a surrogate. He he's unbelievable. On Congressman Michael Waltz, a man that knows more about the military When I want to know about the military, I call him Christy nom somebody that I love. Senator Mike Lee, I love your haircut, and he's a good man too. Representative Hunt makes the best commercials. Congressman Byron Donalds, I like diversity, diversita as you would say, I like diversita.
Speaker 3: Wow subtle.
Speaker 4: Byron Donalds, I like diversity. What a clever way to say that he's black and maybe French.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Diversita sounds like the name of a stripper Trump once slept with. I have no evidence of that, of course, maybe because he paid her that hush money. But some VP candidates are showing more hustle than others, like a lot of them. Denyed the twenty twenty election results. But Senator Tim Scott was on TV this weekend pre denying this year's election results.
Speaker 9: Will you commit to accepting the election results of twenty twenty four? Bottom line?
Speaker 10: At the end of the day, the forty seventh President of the United States will be President Donald Trump, and I'm excited to get back to low inflation, low unemployment.
Speaker 9: Wait wait, senator, yes or no? Yes or no? Will you accept the election results of twenty twenty four?
Speaker 3: No matter who wins, that is my statement.
Speaker 9: But just yes or no? Will you accept the election results of twenty twenty four?
Speaker 10: I look forward to President Trump being the forty seventh president. Christ You can ask him multiple.
Speaker 3: Times, Senator, just a yes or no answer, So.
Speaker 10: The American people, the American people will make the decision.
Speaker 9: But I don't hear you committee.
Speaker 10: For President Trump. That's that clear.
Speaker 4: This is how humiliating it is to be on Trump's team. Normal questions become trick questions.
Speaker 6: Do you accept the election results?
Speaker 3: Should you look directly into an eclipse you? This is not a hard question.
Speaker 4: It's like when the band comes out and says, are you ready to party? Just say yes and enjoy. Imagine dragons like a responsible adult.
Speaker 3: Come on. Of course.
Speaker 4: One of the top contenders for Trump's VP is South Dakota Governor Christy nom She's got MAGA credentials, she's got executive experience, she's got Fox News anchor face. If you ask me, the race is hers to lose. There's really nothing she could do to ruin her chances.
Speaker 11: A governor thought to be a contender for Donald Trump's running mate.
Speaker 3: This November is responding to the.
Speaker 11: Backlash over a story in her new book. It's a story about shooting her puppy.
Speaker 4: Okay, maybe that might hurt her chances. I'm not a political expert, but I think if I had to give up politician advice, I would say the top thing is to not shoot your puppy. The second top thing would be to not write about shooting your puppy.
Speaker 3: Look, let's give her the benefit of the doubt. Maybe maybe she has a good reason.
Speaker 11: In the book, Nome says she shot and killed her fourteen month old puppy named Cricket for bad behavior.
Speaker 12: Nome describes leading the fourteen month old dog to a gravel pit to be shot after concluding it was less than worthless, untrainable, and aggressive.
Speaker 7: As a mom, I made a choice between protecting my children and protecting them from a dangerous animal that was killing livestock.
Speaker 13: No posting this response on acts, saying we love animals, but tough decisions like this happen all the time on a farm.
Speaker 3: That is not an excuse.
Speaker 4: Christina, you can't just go around executing puppies and say, well, that's life on a farm. It's a farm, not international waters. And for bad behavior, I mean, even Kuela Devela is like Jesus.
Speaker 3: At least I was making a coach.
Speaker 4: Was there really nothing else that could have been done with a misbehaving puppy? Training medication? I mean, worst case, send the dog to a nice family upstate. That's what my parents said they did with my dog when I was a kid. And he still sends me a birthday card every year.
Speaker 1: How cool is that?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: Christy Nome's defense is that she had no choice because the dog was untrainable and a danger, although if you read her book, the cartage doesn't stop there.
Speaker 5: Do You put it in a part of a chapter called bad Day to be a Goat?
Speaker 9: And then after you shot the dog, you quote realized another unpleasant job needed to be done.
Speaker 2: Walking back up.
Speaker 6: To the yard, I spotted our billy goat.
Speaker 3: What did the goat do?
Speaker 4: It sounds like she saw it. I was like, well, I can't leave any witnesses.
Speaker 3: She could, You could have come on. She could have at.
Speaker 4: Least given the goat an opportunity to prove its loyalty, like here's the gun, you shoot the dog.
Speaker 3: Don't forget.
Speaker 4: Nobody forced her to tell anybody these stories. These are the stories she chose to tell to seem tough for the Maga bass in this book. By the way, was No Going Back supposed to be the title? Or was that what her editor said when they read this section? Are you sure you want this in There's No Going Back? I mean, what were the alternate titles? For God's sake, don't include this?
Speaker 3: Not sure? If you're kidding? Lol? Were you hacked? I don't know.
Speaker 4: And by the way, Noah is not letting up on this. In fact, not only is she willing to shoot her dog and goat now, she wants to shoot other dogs too.
Speaker 12: Soutzi gooda Governor Christy Noom is not backing down defending her decision to shoot her own dog now implying Joe Biden's dog Commander, which no longer lives in the White House after several biding incidents, should be put down. She reportedly writes that the first thing she would do if she got to the White House is make sure Joe Biden's dog was nowhere on the grounds. Commander, say hello to cricket.
Speaker 4: Dear Lord, this woman has a taste for dog blood. It's like she thought all dogs go to heaven was a personal challenge.
Speaker 3: Why why.
Speaker 4: Why is she going so hard on dog killing? Can cats vote?
Speaker 14: Now?
Speaker 3: What did I miss that?
Speaker 4: For more on this, we go live to Christy Nomes Ranch with our own Michael Costa. Michael, Michael, How is Nome's team reacting to this story.
Speaker 3: They're not worried at all, Jordan.
Speaker 14: This story might upset the coastal elites, but Nomes speak are confident that real Americans understand that this is just life on the farm.
Speaker 3: Was that a gunshot I just heard?
Speaker 14: Yeah, it was city boy. You know where do you think your chicken comes from? It comes from blindfolding the birds, leading them into a gravel pit, giving them a last cigarette, and shooting them in the back.
Speaker 1: Of the head.
Speaker 14: Also, you can stuff your face on ten cent wing night. It's how we feed America.
Speaker 4: I think we all understand that death is a part of our food system. What's disturbing is how thoughtlessly Governor Nome treats her animals.
Speaker 14: Yeah, but Nome's team says, that's a real advantage in politics. You want a leader who can make hard decisions about the budget without being preoccupied about whether the kids are going to be hungry because they don't get a school lunch.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, was that a cowbean choked?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 14: Here we go, Yeah, reality check for you Left Coast Soy boys. All right, this is how your steak gets.
Speaker 3: To the supermarket.
Speaker 14: Do you think it magically falls from the sky shrink wrapped? No, Governor Christinoms sneaks up behind each cow individually with a piece of piano wire and wraps it tightly around their neck, saying, sh let it happen.
Speaker 3: Let it happen.
Speaker 14: It's simple, honest farm work.
Speaker 3: Jordan.
Speaker 15: Okay, okay, okay, I'll admit I have no idea what that's how it was.
Speaker 14: Well, if you got out of your media bubble once in a while, you would know that pork is produced. What an unsuspecting pig gets into his mid size sedan, starts it up and it explodes. But does Christy nome get any thanks for ringing up the C four.
Speaker 3: Well, not from the New York City brunch crowd.
Speaker 4: Okay, Michael, Michael, Look, I don't accept this explanation. I think the average rule American treats their animals with more respect than Christy Nome is saying they do.
Speaker 3: What was that?
Speaker 10: Now?
Speaker 14: Let me guess you think your mailman meat just grows on trees.
Speaker 3: I guess not, Michael Costa. Everybody, come onck we come back.
Speaker 4: We'll fight out who's winning in the latest war in hip hop. So don't go away, we go back to the Daily Show. You know, the news is so serious these days. Really use is a palate cleanser, like a fun pop culture story. And luckily there's some big news this weekend.
Speaker 16: Boy, has the rap role been buzzing over the weekend? The Internet on fire? Are you team Drake or Team Kendrick Lamar? The feud is red hot, both stars dropping several Dish tracks over the weekend, both stars gaining tens of millions of streams in the process. The beef has been ongoing for several years, quite frankly, but it's reached a fever pitch right now.
Speaker 3: Ooh, rep battle. It's a great way to showcase an MC's skills.
Speaker 4: I gotta says, as a Michigan boy, I loved watching eminem Slice and DICE's competitors.
Speaker 3: It's always always.
Speaker 4: A great time In fact, I bet Drake is gonna tease Kendrick about selling more albums, and Kendrick is going to make some playful jabs about Drake being a Toronto Raptors fan.
Speaker 3: So let the ribbing begin.
Speaker 14: In his diss tracks, Drake claims Kendrick abuses and cheats on this fiance, while Kendrick accuses Drake of being a pedophile.
Speaker 3: Oh that got dark. Uh.
Speaker 4: We went from zero to epstein in about one weekend. This beef is really out of control and it doesn't look like it's calming down anytime soon. Kendrick is probably in the studio right now trying to figure out something that rhymes with killed.
Speaker 3: John benet Ramsay.
Speaker 4: So for more on this, we go live out to the streets with our own Josh Johnson.
Speaker 6: Don Dods.
Speaker 3: Who would you say is winning this beef? Nope, pass, no, thank you. I don't want to get.
Speaker 17: Dragged into this at all. All these dudes do is research and destroy. Apparently this is short for dissertation, okay, And I don't need anybody looking me up and rapping about how I took my cousin to sing your prom or that I pissed my bed until singor prom all Right, I just want to do my job and rest my head in whatever safe house they got j cole In.
Speaker 3: Okay, I mean I see your point.
Speaker 4: This has got to be one of the most brutal rap beefs in history.
Speaker 17: Well, hold on, let's not get crazy. I mean, remember how rap beefs used to be. I mean, remember Biggie and Tupac. There's a reason that the last time you saw Pac.
Speaker 3: Was in hologram form.
Speaker 17: All right, what's happening now is nothing compared to back then, because hip hop has matured in the nineties, it was a future girl.
Speaker 3: How about that now?
Speaker 17: It's I don't think you're emotionally available as a father and husband due to your general lack of vulnerability, which leaves me with no choice but the fucking.
Speaker 3: Girl, how about that?
Speaker 9: Okay?
Speaker 4: All right, okay, So you're saying as ugly as this is getting, at least it's not spilling into violence.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 17: In fact, I wish all global conflicts were like hip hop beefs Middle East Russia, Ukraine instead of missiles. Wouldn't you want to see Zelensky release a track saying Putin is on ozembic or that he learned Brazilian jiu jitsu because he got Brazilian butt lift, or that Putin's not black enough to say nigga you know what I mean, or whatever the Russian version of that is.
Speaker 3: You really think you could replace wars with beefs?
Speaker 17: Absolutely forget abroad even at home. Wouldn't the national anthem be hotter if it was a dish track against England, like no taxation without responentation.
Speaker 3: That's already half a bar right there. Now?
Speaker 17: You just need something like you eat beans on toasts like some broke ass hose instead of shooting at Britain, the Founding Fathers should have been spitting out oh like a Hamilton, Not like that?
Speaker 4: Okay, well, Josh, if everything being a rap battle, the escalate situations, why are you so afraid to just pick a side between Drake and Kendrick? I mean because you tell me all the time how you love Drake's music and he makes you feel safe to talk in the shower, and how you like to pop ass to his beat so it makes you feel like.
Speaker 3: A bad bitch. I think you said no, no, no, no no no no no no no don't.
Speaker 17: Well, thanks a lot, Jordan, you gave him plenty. Kendrick just dropped a song and the cover art is me slow dancing at singer.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I gotta call my cousin Josh Johnson. Everyone, we come back, Jonathan Hike.
Speaker 18: We're enjoining me on the show, so don't go away.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the Daily Show.
Speaker 4: I guess Tonight is a social psychologist who teaches atic A leadership at New York University. He's here to talk about his latest best selling book, The Anxious Generation. Please welcome, Jonathan Heite. Jonathan, I see people walking all over Brooklyn holding this book. It's talking about the great rewiring. Talk to me, what is the great rewiring?
Speaker 19: So something happened to young people born after nineteen ninety five. All of a sudden in the early twenty tens, their mental health collapsed. Rates of anxiety and depressions skyrocketed. Self harm is up one hundred and fifty percent for younger teen girls. Suicide is up fifty percent. Something happened in the early twenty tens. And my argument in the book is a tragedy in two acts. The first act is the loss of the play based childhood. It's what anybody over forty and this audience had you were out with your friends after school, there was nobody supervising. You had to learn how to work out conflicts, how to face adversity. So that's what kids have had for ten hundreds of thousands of years. It's part of being a mammal. You play, you develop skills. We began to crack down on that to lock kids up in the nineties, to not let them out. So we're restricting what they most need, which is play, from the nineties through the two thousands. But mental health doesn't collapse. Then it's actually pretty stable. Then we get act to which is the arrival of the phone based childhood, and what that is is in twenty ten, everybody.
Speaker 1: Had a flip phone.
Speaker 19: The iPhone had come out, but most teens had a flip phone, no front facing camera, no social media on the phone, no high speed data. And by twenty twenty fifteen everyone's got all those other things. Now suddenly everyone has a smartphone, front facing camera, high speed internet, social media especially Instagram on the phone, and almost like someone turned switch. In twenty thirteen, girls in America and many of the countries suddenly become very anxious, depressed, and self harming and so that's what the book is about. Something changed between twenty ten and twenty fifteen, and I'm trying to explain what it is.
Speaker 3: You're say.
Speaker 4: In an act too, they introduced checkof cell phone and yeah, and we know what ends up happening after that. You look at sort of the adolescent brain. How dumb and stupid is a thirteen year old's brain.
Speaker 19: I would say, not dumb and stupid at all. I would say it's in the process of remodeling. And it's right, it's still in the early phases. So we have you know, children have a brain which is actually almost full size. By age six, the brain is almost full Oh.
Speaker 3: Fact check that. I don't think that's I don't think that's right.
Speaker 1: Okay, can you must be right? Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 19: The rest of childhood is not about growth. It's about picking which neurons surviving, which ones get eliminated. It's all about wiring up, and that happens slowly in childhood. But then around age eleven twelve for girls. Puberty starts a couple years later for boys, and you get this massive, quick rewiring of the brain to sort of locked down into an adult configuration. It starts more in the back of the brain, the prefrontal cortex is the last part to develop, and so around the age of thirteen, kids emotional areas are rewiring. They have the beginnings of sexual urges and lust. They're very emotional passionate, but they don't have the self control to say, like, no, I'm not going to spend a fifth hour on TikTok. I'm just going to keep going because I can't stop myself.
Speaker 3: And when does that stop?
Speaker 4: Because I'm looking for that, and like forty seven, forty eight, like when does that part of my brain close off and I can put the phone down?
Speaker 1: Well, in your case, I really can't say.
Speaker 4: But for most people, buy a sequel again, twenty five Smart.
Speaker 19: Twenty five is when when the front of cortex is done rewiring.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you when that happens.
Speaker 4: Well, it's interesting how you're talking a lot about not only these phones come in and they change the way kids think in the way society thinks, but you talk about raising a child an anti fragile child, and you make some bold claims in this book, one of which is right here. You claim that this uh merry go round playground spinner is the greatest piece of playground equipment ever invented?
Speaker 3: Defend yourself? How is it?
Speaker 10: How?
Speaker 1: Okay? What is better?
Speaker 4: I mean, Peter Totter is just a metaphor. You're down, you know, It's just it's what life is all about, you know, work with somebody else. One's up, ones down. There's no way to stay in the middle.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, the.
Speaker 19: The key Okay, while I have no citations to prove my claim, the psychological thing I'm trying to get at there is thrills. This is something I talk a lot about in chapter three that kids need to play, but they especially need risky play. Kids literally need to face risk. If you don't give them risk, they'll find a way to get it. They'll climb up on walls, they'll climb trees, if they skateboard, they'll skateboard downstairs. Kids need to sort of need to have some actual risk. And so, yes, you're right, a swing a teer strife it's really big and you could come crashing down.
Speaker 1: There is risk.
Speaker 3: Well, it's right to hurt these kids.
Speaker 1: Well, because you have.
Speaker 19: To put kids in a situation where they can get hurt, because only then do they learn every day how to not get hurt and what we've done since the nineties is we've put them in places they are so safe there's no chance to get hurt, which means they don't learn how to not get hurt. The human program of evolution is kids face risk that they're a little scared, they have to be a little scared, they overcome it, and then they're more confident the next time around, and that's the path to adulthood. But we stopped that in the nineties. We said no more of that. We're going to keep you over protected forever, and then we're going to send you to universities like mine, where you're coming in still not ready for independent living.
Speaker 4: Now you take that, and then you also then fast forward to this modern erarow where kids are obsessed with phones, they're on the internet, they're on social media sites. Is there an argument, though, that the anti fragile way in which kids need to it's not to pull this thing away that they need to be exposed to the risk that the internet has. I mean, this is the world that they're going to be born into. Anyway, shouldn't they be learning and how to navigate that at an early age?
Speaker 19: YEA in theory, yes, But let's look at say sexuality. We want them to learn how to have sex. Does that mean we should give them running start at age eight? There are certain things that are not appropriate at that time.
Speaker 3: I did, just to be clear, I did not say that this was not that. This is that that's not.
Speaker 4: Theoretically yeah, that was yeah, theoretically yes, yes, boy.
Speaker 19: So I've heard this before in theory, like, oh, you know, why are you why are you? You know you're you're saying we're we're we need to protect them less in the real world, but you're saying we need to protect them more in the virtual world. Isn't that contradictory? Not at all, Not at all. Kids where mammals, Kids need to be out playing, rough housing, putting their arms around each other, touching, out in nature.
Speaker 1: This is the way a lot of us grew up.
Speaker 19: You play outside, and when you put kids in an environment where everything goes through the phone, as soon as you give your child a phone, that they're going to use that. Now, the latest stats are around nine hours a day they're on their phone, and a lot of them it's almost all the time because they're always checking. That blocks out time and nature, time with friends, time with friends, is down sixty five percent since twenty ten. Kids need time with friends. Texting and sending emojis doesn't compensate. It's done instead of time with friends, and that I think is why as soon as they moved on to social media and the boys onto multiplayer video games, they got so lonely. Loneliness surged along with depression and anxiety.
Speaker 4: It's interesting you talk a little bit about in childhood discover mode versus defensive mode, and even in a world of the arts. I did improv comedy forever, and I think the mindset of that is a discovery mindset, right, and so you're constantly looking for something. It was interesting in reading this in terms of how to raise a child and to put them in that open mindset. But it seems remarkably reflective of just how society feels right now. And I don't know if that's is because partially because of our connection to social media and the anxiety that is there, but do you see parallels there as well that we are inadvertently too in defensive mode because of these devices that we have in our pockets, in our hands.
Speaker 19: Well, right now it does seem like everything is going to hell because it actually is oh that's fine.
Speaker 4: Oh kind yeah, it's not just my phone telling me that that fought great.
Speaker 3: But it wasn't that well, it wasn't that.
Speaker 1: It wasn't that way in twenty twelve.
Speaker 19: So the fact that this happened in so many countries at the same time, and a lot of people say, oh, well, you know the global financial crisis, that must be what it was like there are real economic difficulties. Yeah, that was two thousand and eight. Why do the numbers not begin going up until twelve, twenty thirteen, when the economy is getting better and better. So you can't make the claim that things were so terrible in Obama's second term compared to us first, that all of a sudden, teens, especially teen girls, suddenly fell off a cliff. That just doesn't work. So, you know, if this had all started in twenty twenty, we could say, well, yeah, you know COVID and all the craziness that's going on, But this started in twenty twelve. There's no other explanation that anyone's proposed for why it happened so many countries and hit girls the hardest.
Speaker 3: It was interesting.
Speaker 4: You have a chapter in here that looks at also faith, and I'm an atheist. I know you mentioned that you are an atheist as well, but you speak to sort of this God shaped hole. I think it's a Blaze Pascal quote. God shape hold everybody's every human heart right, and that this lack of religion is something that is affecting childhood in a way that I get as an atheist. I always had my dukes up when that comes about. You said you were one, so you earned yourself a pass. Okay, But this lack of sort of religious institutions in this modern media landscape, how do you see that as something that's affecting like a childhood.
Speaker 19: So the way to think about this as an atheist without getting defensive is good luck. No, I've been We've been working on this professional for many years. I finally got it down. That's it, okay, just looking at it descriptively. Psychologically, religious people are a little happier than non religious people. That's been true for a long time, just as married people are happier than non married people on average. Your milers may vary, but people need to be tied in, locked in in a community. I'm a big fan of Emil Durkhim, the sociologist is my favorite thinker of all time. When we're not tied in, locked in, we're free. But that doesn't make us happy. We don't have we have nothing to push against, we have no sense of meaning. It's like if you try to raise a plant not in the ground, but just like up in the air, and it just can't be done. And so religious kids are rooted in traditions, faith, rituals, community, They go to church every Sunday. The Jewish kids have Shabbat. They literally can't use electronics for a day. So they were always happier than the secular kids. But what happens after twenty twelve, it's quite remarkable. In all the graphs, the religious kids get a little more anxious and depressed. The secular kids get much more anxious and depressed. So what I'm saying is, especially if you're an atheist, you're gonna have to work much harder. You're gonna be much more intentional about rooting your kid in stable social relationships. If you give him an iPad and then he graduates to a phone, and it's all this network, that network interacting with strangers and weirdos and bots and ais, that's not a community that's crazy making it.
Speaker 4: Might just be easier to get him to believe in angels then.
Speaker 19: Take away the iPad.
Speaker 3: I've had it there. I do want to You've written a lot of very interesting books.
Speaker 4: The book you wrote before this, The Coddling of the American Mind, you co wrote, sort of looked at safetyism and looked at the college, the college landscape, and now what we see on college campuses, these protests are breaking out. I wonder as somebody who looked closely at that and the ways in which students kind of move through it, what you see now in these campuses.
Speaker 19: Yeah, so you know, I don't want to comment on the substance of the protest. This is a complicated issue. I respect people on all sides. We all agree on campus, we all agree students have a right to protest constitutionally protected it.
Speaker 1: But two things I see going on is one is the protest.
Speaker 19: And this is what Greg Luki on Off, my co author, first notice in twenty fourteen that the shouting down of speakers, the activism't on campus that was really illiberal, and it was intimidating, and it was stopping people from speaking. It was based on arguments about fragility about my mental health or her mental health, Like, we can't let this person on campus because it'll be dangerous, it'll be harmful. Speech is violence. So that's a new idea that comes in with gen Z because they haven't been given an anti fragile childhood.
Speaker 1: They've been given way too much therapy. They think everything was trauma.
Speaker 19: So we see that by beginning in twenty fourteen twenty it wasn't there in twenty twelve. It was a very new in twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen, and so the protesters. Now I don't know the details, but like, you know, just one thing I read this morning. Someone sent me a quote from a student at Harvard where she was in the encampments, and she said, if Harvard cares so goddamn much about my mental health, why don't they just divest and you know, do all the things that we're demanding, Like, yeah, you know, you should do you know, Harvard, you do these because our mental health is at stake. That's something new, and it's just not going to get them very far in political life going forward once they leave campus.
Speaker 3: Here, I read this book. I want to do this right?
Speaker 4: How do I helicopter parent my child correctly, Like, what are some tactical things I can take away from this?
Speaker 1: Well, you just push them out of the helicopter.
Speaker 3: Sorry, learn how to fly right. That's not anti fradule.
Speaker 19: For birds, it works, it's not for us. So the key thing, okay, So the key thing to the solution. So even though you know a lot of my books, a lot of my writing is very dark about things are actually going to hell in a lot of ways. But this one, we can solve it in a year or two. Because the reason it got so bad so quickly is that we're trapped in a it's called a a social trap. It's a collective action trap. The reason why we all feel we have to give our kid a smartphone by the time they're ten is because everyone else did. And your kid says, you know, dad, I'm the only one. I'm being left out. So we're all we're you know, we're all doing that. And the reason why students are spending so much time on TikTok, they say, is because everyone else is and I have to keep up. I have to know what's happening. So we're all trapped in this. What that means is that if if we decide to escape, we can escape together. So I proposed them in the book. There's a lot of suggestions, but four norms that will break these collective action traps. First, no smartphone before high school. Just clear this out of the lives of elementary and middle school kids. Send them out, Give them a flip phone, a dumb phone, a phone, watch you so you.
Speaker 1: Can text them.
Speaker 19: But don't give them the entire internet, including strangers all over the world who are trying to get at them sexually. Like this is just craziness. So no smartphone till high school. The second is no social media till sixteen. You know, the things that are sent around on social media, the things they're exposed to, Like I just recently learned about the video A Cat and a Blend, which was.
Speaker 1: Popular while ago.
Speaker 19: I know it is exactly it is exactly what it sounds like, so you know, and this is just this is just part of childhood, is hardcore porn, animal cruelty, beheading videos. So you know, let's just at least wait till they're sixteen before they see that stuff.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, that's the appropriate age to watch a Canita blenders at sixteen, It's like, ah, you get to drive a car, and then what do you ship?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 19: What I'm after here is not the optimum age, it's what's in a minimum age that we could actually all do together, because that's the key. If most of us do this, we solve the problem. The third norm is phone free schools. This is the most powerful one that we can do instantly. So if you're watching this and you have kids that go to school that lets the kids keep the phone in the pocket, send well, buy a copy of my book for the principal.
Speaker 1: Note.
Speaker 19: You know I have videos, Send them a video of my talks on phone free schools. Every school needs to go phone free by September. The phones are they don't just make the kids anxious and lonely, they make them less intelligent. Test scores have been drop around the world since twenty twelve. Once the kids bring a phone in school, they're doing this they're not.
Speaker 1: Listening to the teacher.
Speaker 19: So get rid of phones in schools. And then the fourth norm is far more independence, free play, and responsibility in the real world. We have to so it's not this is not just about let's take away take away, it's let's give them a real childhood, the kind of childhood that us older people, the kind that we look back on. So if we so, if we love our children, the best thing we can give them is a real human childhood. And if we do it together, we can get this done in the next year or two.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 4: Just give your kids some space, a beer and a bag of glass. It's a fascinating reading and an important one. The Anxious generation is available.
Speaker 3: Now don it out that It's quite right?
Speaker 4: Right back after that, that's our show for tonight now here.
Speaker 3: It is a moment of then.
Speaker 13: You know when we learned last week, obviously like all of you, in her book, that she killed her puppy. You heard me say that was very, very sad. We find her comments from yesterday disturbing, We find them absurd, and here this is a country that loves dogs.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from The Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount Plus.
Speaker 10: This has been a Comedy Central podcast