Speaker 1: Really now, really.
Speaker 2: Really now, really welcome. I'm Peter Tilman.
Speaker 3: Next to me is my good friend I like that, Jason Alexander, and we're here to do another episode of Really No Really. Today's episode A little is very smooth. By the way, that was the best we've ever done. I'm sorry I interrupted him. By the way, I killed the killed that you killed.
Speaker 4: I was commenting almost too professional. Yeah, but thank you. I couldn't let it go. I couldn't let it go.
Speaker 3: So this is a pretty heady episode. I really know, really because I saw that Ray Kurtzwall, who was a futurist who they say has one of the best records for predicting things that have come true.
Speaker 5: The Jimmy, the Greek of futurists.
Speaker 3: By the way, he's saying, thank you for that. Yeah, he's the Nate Silver. In nineteen ninety he protected the world's best chess player would lose to a computer by two things, and it happened in nineteen ninety seven, So he was off when when Deep Blue beat Gary Kasparov, Yes, he said, by twenty twenty three one thousand dollars laptop, we have a human brains, computing power and storage capability and many other things. And the latest thing he said was that humans will achieve immortality in eight years. He's a Google engineer, really really, no, really, and he says it will happen with a combination of genetics, the nanotechnology.
Speaker 2: You know that we'll be able to repair, yes, and robotics. Yes, we know that.
Speaker 3: Elon Musk has said things about melding the brain with AI.
Speaker 2: So everything he says is true and happens.
Speaker 3: Well, nice cars, yeah, but we wanted to get somebody on to find out because this is way above our pay grade. Yes, so we said, what the hey, let's get an expert. Let's get an expert, and then we found them.
Speaker 4: So today we'll be chatting with a gentleman who is the Professor of Biological Gerontology at the University of Brighton. He is the past chair of the British Society for Research on Aging and the American Aging Association. He's been studying the relationship between cellular centizens, which we will find out more about, and aging for more than thirty years. He's been named one of the top one hundred longevity leaders by Aging Analytics. Please welcome from the University of Brighton. Professor of biological gerontology, Professor Richard Farreger.
Speaker 2: How are you doing, professor?
Speaker 1: Very well? Thank you, gentlemen, thank you for having me on the show, particularly when the introductions apparently have reached their peat. This is the point where it all comes to rut came to the peak.
Speaker 4: I just have to say right off the top that the accent and the tie, this is the classiest we will ever be on this show.
Speaker 2: We know something.
Speaker 3: My son used to say this if you're because he went to England for a semester and he came back and he said, in America, when a guy is in a park yelling.
Speaker 6: The world's coming to in and we're all good, you.
Speaker 2: Go, what a lunatic And you go, tell me more.
Speaker 3: The world's coming so incredible and reason you go, okay, come to the house.
Speaker 1: Like the TV channels, you know it comes from, Yeah, it comes from you know.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I went into gerontology because I was growing up in the seventies and like three TV channels and so all of them were and there was nothing on, and it encouraged you to go outside and on the wall and wake something happen. So that's how I ended. That's how I ended up there? What's your excent?
Speaker 2: Nothing to do nothing, We're just talking to you. We didn't go into it all right, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: So the interesting thing is I get the overall question from me and we can get into singularity and kurtswhile. But as you get older, what actually endures? I mean that's the biggest question. What's what's the what's the point of living longer? So we're when you study this, is that taken into consideration?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think too, I think to an accent. You know, the the immortality thing always kind of makes me because it sits at the it sits at the opposite end of a spectrum. If I do good a public understanding of science lectures about one time in five there's a guy who comes up to me and says, I don't want to live forever. I always say that's great, because you don't have the option. They almost look disappointed. And it's strange because I there and thinking if I went into a restaurant, you know, if he went into a restaurant, I say, a waiter, and you know he opened the menu and said, I really hate crabcakes, And I said, well, you're in luxer because we're not serving them. I wouldn't expect the guy it's just mind, you serve me stuff that I don't like. And at the other end, there is this immortality thing, and it's often helpful to unpeck I think what that means to the person who said it along Inside the guy who says, you know, I don't want to live forever, there's usually someone who says I do. And rather than you know, just disappointing them straight out, I try and let them down gently by saying, are you aware that you know? Forever? It's a bugger of a long time. Actually, you know, a reasonable argument can be made that it's all the time that there is. This is a long time a humans, This is a long time a style, multi stellar lifetime.
Speaker 2: We're done and you got it. You got me.
Speaker 4: Physic is gerontology, particularly in the way that you are researching it is it is it about living longer or living better longer or some combination.
Speaker 1: Well, this is where it becomes. This is where it gets really interesting, because lying behind these kinds of discussions is something that I think is going to be really important. It's going to be really transformative, if not for us, then for our kids, and I think that's incredibly hopeful. And so, you know, as long as there have been people, we've known that some think about how old you are also affects how healthy you are. I think there's a lot of evidence that there are a few common processes. You can call them aging mechanisms if you want. I tend to think of them as health maintenance mechanisms that exist to keep us healthy. Problems start to occur as they start to fail for the first time in human history. I think we've got a pretty good handle on what some of those mechanisms are, and we can chat about that if you would like. And this understanding is starting to reach the point where we are starting to go into clinical trials with some compounds based on this, and most clinical trials fail. You know, the analogy that I sometimes use with people is the difference. You know, a clinical trial is a bit like getting an audition. Okay, you've got an audition. You probably shouldn't be picking out the place for your star on Hollywood Boulevard just yet. I'm wondering which private island you're going to be. You know, you're going to have to do a lot of those if you make it there, and I think it's fair to say the mechanisms are kind of screen testing. Well, there's sixty ongoing trials I think, on drugs that destroy sinn essence cells at the moment.
Speaker 4: And can you just because I haven't written down here and I have some understanding, but can you just talk about sin essence for a moment and what that is?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I'm very happy to do that. So to say that there seems to be good evidence for some biological processes acting as what we call aging mechanisms, and if you get rid of it, that slows aging down, and if you increase the rate at which it appears at speeds aging. Now, so what happens with Selson essence is this. It was first discovered by a very bright guy called Leonard Hayflick in the early sixties, and for reasons that don't matter, for a little while or the twentieth early twentieth century, it was believed that cells had no limits to division. Hayflick showed that they did, and since they had limits to division, this suggested that the accumulation of these cells over time would contribute to aging and disease. And so the way it works simply is this and the normal cost of your life. You lose cells, that loss has to be balanced by cell division, or you run out of cells. That cell division is actively monitored as part of an anti cancer mechanism because you pick up most of the mutations that predispose you to cancer when you're replicating DNA, and after a variable number of divisions, that sell us two things. It will never divide again, and it changes its behavior and it adopts a series of damaging activities. Why is it doing this because it wants to be found and killed by cells in your immune system. It wants to be got rid of. The problem is that your immune system is also made of cells, and it is aging. And so when you're young, as soon as you make a sinessence cell, it's clobbed by your immune system. When you're kind of my age, it's more like, you know, you ring the insurance company or something like that, and it's just your call is important to us. You will stay on the line, you know, And it's kind of like that. So you start these things start to build up, and this starts to cause all sorts of problems in laboratory animals, where we've been able to engineer them such that it's possible to remove sinessence cells chemically, you see an increase in lifespan of about twenty five percent, sometimes to thirty percent, and what you also see as a big improvement in health. The data that I like most is wheel running. If you take these little mice that have had their sinessence cells removed and you compare them to their littermates who've been left alone, they run about twice as far and about twice as fast, and no one's making these most run. They're running more because they like it. And if you could translate that into the human population, it's the difference between being able to live independently in your own home, you know, jog down to the shop to buy the paper in the morning, or having to feel your world kind of contract around you, not.
Speaker 5: Feeling at the key.
Speaker 3: Basically, the key to all of this is controlling sin essence cells. If you can get to the core of that, that seems to be the key to life extension.
Speaker 1: Yes, then now this is where the caveats started coming. It's clear that at least one angle of attech would be to either get rid of sin essence cells. There are groups that are working on that stop them being sinescent under certain indication, which is something I'm very interested in. One of the things that I think is currently unknown is how big the effect of the different aging mechanisms we know about is in different species. So in mice, when you get rid of sin essence cells, you can see a thirty to forty percent of groups and life whether you would see an extension whether or in fact, and the reason you're seeing the extension lifespan is the animal is healthier. This is an important point to stress. Sick things tend to die. Healthy things tend to live. So if you are, like most reputable gerontologists most of the time, trying to improve health, you get the lifespan extension as a kind of beneficial side effect. But we could be on the verge of real improvements in the head health of our older population, and that is something we sorely need.
Speaker 4: Is there any research into animals that naturally seem to live greater lifespans. I think it's I know there's sometoise tortoise, it might be the Galapicus tortoise or something that seems to on average live well past one hundred years. Is anybody looking to those kinds of animals that have natural longevity to see if there's something there.
Speaker 1: Some not much because if you think about the difficulties and now you've ever seen a Galaphagus tortoise or the Mauritian giant tortoise. Actually, honeymoon I did. I honeymooned in Mauritius specifically to see a Mauritian giant tortoise.
Speaker 2: Wow did you?
Speaker 1: And they?
Speaker 5: I did?
Speaker 1: And that they're misnamed. It shouldn't be called the Mauritia giant tortoise. It should be called the Jesus Christ that thinks the size of a sofa tortoise, which kind of give you know, and this kind of that there's a picture of me and the tortoise, and you know, one of us is rin clear than the other, but not by much. And you know, this illustrates the problem. It's it's very, very difficult to do research and maintain a colony of Mauritian giant tortoises that you could study. You know, some whale species are noticeably longer lived than humans. But I would love to see the Grant committee. You know, I just need a few, you know, one hundred million to maintain.
Speaker 5: But I mean that's the questions point.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 3: There are microbes that have been discovered that they think are thousands of years old that are still catabolically functioning, and certain jelly fis that's me reproduce and start all over again.
Speaker 5: I mean they I was going to say, there's a couple.
Speaker 1: You know, there's a difference between holding an organism, you know, in the sort of stasis for a long period of time. You know, we maintain, we routinely maintain bacteria frozen at minus eighty when we need them. There are species that are tractable, that are what we call non aging, by which I mean, as I said, you know, our chances your chance of death goes up exponentially, but if you are one of the select number of species, your chance of death stay is fixed. And if you've ever had clam chowder, you've eaten because it's the quay hog, all right, and the clams in your bowl of clam chowder were probably older than you were. And the don't don't, don't.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, I think I just gave up clam chowder.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, the clam showders in the ball in the potential.
Speaker 1: That I have protectially, you know, you know, look, don't sue if it turns.
Speaker 4: But also on the positive side, what were they doing that was so exciting that I shouldn't enjoy a nice plans?
Speaker 3: But you know what else, I think the clam's going I've been around two hundred years. Really, really, they're going to take me out for his What the hell?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 4: I was just a cancer and now I'm in Manhattan or New England, sir.
Speaker 1: The very oldest plans are there, so old that Shakespeare could have had them very old prayhogs, or so old that Shakespeare could have had them in a bowl shoe. And this came out in a project or quite a few years ago now, which led to a kind of car crash interview for me because the guys who were doing the work got in touch with me, and in a kind of around the houses thing, I suddenly found myself on radio being accused of finding the world's oldest animal and then killing it, which is kind of hard one, you know, you know, it's a bit of a curve for when you're jet lagged and you're coming. But to go back to Jason's original point, that is, the species that is small enough to work on, you could potentially look at extremely long life. One of the interesting things that we also tend to do is we like to look at species that have shorter life spans than ours, just because we kind of like to get the study done while we're all still alive, and so's there's particular interest, you know. It's one of those things. If anybody is amenable to a lifetime's worth of funding, then I'm very happy.
Speaker 5: It makes a lot of I suspect not.
Speaker 4: You bring up a good bridge into some of the ethical questions and moral questions around this research, you know, the most basic of which being I see every reason to be increasing the health of our health as we live and as we age. But are we are we potentially doing great harm by trying to increase substantially the longevity of human life. There I think particularly about, you know, overpopulation. I think about the resources that we have on this planet. If we're going to continue to make babies at the at the rate that we do, and the average lifespan becomes one hundred, one hundred and twenty one hundred and twenty five plus years, what are what problems.
Speaker 2: Are we creating? Not to mention that my kids still going to be living, me seventy eight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, straight on you now, you won't retire to you or one hundred and sixty people sixty from your mouth?
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, I can aside. You're making that there. You actually put your finger on a very important point. Notdly enough. Have you been reading my papers that I've just submitted.
Speaker 2: I am and by everything that is right?
Speaker 1: Okay, O, thank you? What can I say? Are you doing anything after this? But but effectively, you know this isn't This is a really important point about the ethics. I take this pretty seriously. And one of the things it's It's not often said, but it's there running through everything we do as scientists. The unspoken social contract between the scientific community and the broader public is basically that we only use our powers for good, okay, so that we only do things that are of social benefit. And there is absolutely out there no mass support for greatly extended lifespans. It's there, but it's a minority position, a distinct minority position, because strangely enough, you know, it's always coupled with the lifespan extension is overpopulation. Right, you know, when was the last time you had kids? I've done it once, and I'm really not. I'm not you know, I'm you know, I have a longer life expectancy than I would have done in nineteen hundred. I'm not rubbing my hands together and saying, hey, bring on, you know, bring on the now changing. I can't wait.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, but who you know.
Speaker 2: In the canon the canton is just.
Speaker 4: But I'm I do know older people, I mean, people in their seventies that are continuing to have children them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I'm I'm I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm just saying it's not automatic, right, all right. The increases in the healthy period of the life that we see in experimental animals in the laboratory into the American healthcare system saves about seven trillion dollars gross. You're talking about the US saving money roughly equivalent to about forty percent of all the gold out of mind, or enough to give everybody on earth clean drinking water for about the next three decades. So if we don't go down that road, and we don't start treating the ill health in later life, we're going to spend more money than ever before to keep more people than ever beforemal miserable. I kind of have trouble seeing that as a whine.
Speaker 3: The amazing thing is the scientific advances. Just my wife, I look at my wife. We used to have the trumpet ear trumpet way back for hearing impaired, and then yet hearing aids, and now she has a cochlear implant. That stuff is advancing pretty rapidly as far as technological advances, Are we advancing that rapidly in health?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think, I think, I think that we are at a point in later life disease roughly equivalent to you know, it's about nineteen forty, nineteen thirty eight and antibiotics a just I'm sorry, so pretty and if you think, if you think about the analogy, it kind of stipped. You know, if you had an infected tooth and a time machine, you sure as hell would dial in some point, you know, after about nineteen sixty to.
Speaker 5: Get it treated.
Speaker 1: And it does flag up something important which I think not a lot of politicians and policymakers are alert to yet though that is changing, which is we are not the only people talking about this, and quietly but persistent, they countries are gearing up to move into this space that would be and the countries and companies that have the production facilities and hold the patents on these new drugs will have a commanding lead for good or ill in twenty first century healthcare.
Speaker 2: And you just hope that it's affordable, fun to talk about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, But.
Speaker 3: And then the inequality seeps into that, et cetera. And like you said, I hope good rather than evil. But in the science community, I noticed people are tending now to exaggerate findings to tease what's going on because they want funding. They want to cut through and make noise like what give me a ferens like you're going to live forever? Yeah, that kind of client. It's a huge claim that grabs you. We did a show about it just now because we saw this futurists who said you could.
Speaker 2: Reach that point.
Speaker 4: But he's also talking about Kertzweil was talking about not on medications but engineer. Yeah, you know, he's talking about making human beings somewhat less human in.
Speaker 5: Order to.
Speaker 3: But you also have you have like a David Sinclair who's doing research who makes claims also and that there are people probably on the planet now there are one hundred and fifty and we just don't know it. And then you see the guy driving a car at one hundred and nine, you know they so you see those headlines, they kind of push out the sense that maybe we're not seeing.
Speaker 4: If my Vivian is ninety two and she's driving a car and we.
Speaker 3: Should say tell her to give you the kid.
Speaker 2: You know, it's enough for endic right.
Speaker 5: I mean, first of all, where is she going?
Speaker 6: Well that's the important you know.
Speaker 3: I think, I think and you'll all agree with this, the people live the longest have purpose. Well, sure, there you go, Yes, so your Envivian has a purpose.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll want to push back on that.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know the way I tend to yeah, the way I tend to look at it, guys, is this. I think you've identified a really important point, Peter, And my aunts was a pretty blunt one, which is, if scientists start talking like science fiction authors, where will the public go? Thank you scientist? That is really important to me. We have a duty to inform. We do not have a duty, but so many but again it's part of the and so you know, sometimes it's acts a downcalls. Sometimes it's you know, sometimes you know, sometimes it's not Sometimes it's misplaced enthusiasm. You know that that's you know again, you know now less I may Less, I think is probably sitting at the bottom of the list. One of the you know, one of the things a lot of scientists often have trouble with is they honestly can't believe that people don't know as much about psyclo independent inhibition, because what else do people talk about in the.
Speaker 2: It's embarrassing.
Speaker 4: My take away from this all yeah, I know, no matter what, no matter what the professor.
Speaker 2: Is working on in all of his colleagues, not you and me, we ain't.
Speaker 5: Going to get those recruiting.
Speaker 2: Minutes away.
Speaker 5: We are a little weird, look a little faster than he is.
Speaker 2: Rob around us. Be here now because tomorrow closer, closer than.
Speaker 1: The other thing, I mean the other thing I would say. Gent we're into prediction and it's actually it's it's it's a pivot away from my day job. But I have a dirty little hobby that I'm happy to admit to live, which is I collect old visions of the future. You know, those cities of Brian, Eylon and Teflon on the moon.
Speaker 5: That's having now. But we're not.
Speaker 1: And there's a serious point to this, which is we don't you know, nobody has an accurate picture of We have no accurate data of what the world of twenty sixty three will look like. What we do have is we have a vast amount of data about what people thought the world thirty years from the point at which they were writing would look like. And when you look at that stuff on block what you find is the ideas are just not worthwhile. There's one I'm not going to name names, but it does make me laugh. It's written in the sixties, and you can see that the guy's kind of been inspired by two thousand and one. He's a serious scientist, Okay, fairly serious scientist, and in his imagination, the world of today is the whole planet's crust is gridded with these kind of vacuum tubes that serve as subways, you know, and you just know that it's kind of a cylindrical thing that moves through it and it's traveling at multiple times the speed of sound. So we can be in Japan in a couple of hours, but we have to stop at station and use a call box to ring.
Speaker 7: Okay, and you know this is and they kind of just a just a tad I have a vision, and yeah.
Speaker 1: You know I had I had a vision after some bootleg spirit.
Speaker 4: I are you in twenty sixty three segnfeld Stone syndication. That's my only hope for the future.
Speaker 2: And you know what, I wish that for you to thank professor, Thank you.
Speaker 5: I hope you because I.
Speaker 1: Actually missed it. I was in the lamb when it was running up and watching.
Speaker 2: Well you'll enjoy it, I think, and you'll learn so much.
Speaker 1: And if not, it's not you, it's me.
Speaker 2: Ruberheim has joined us.
Speaker 3: The interesting thing about the aging topic and j is, like you said, I don't know have a gym membership for forty years that I don't go to, right, you know, there's stag it's.
Speaker 4: Your favorite line. My doctor said, if I got on the treadmill every day, I would live an extra ten years, and you said, yes.
Speaker 2: If treadmien years in trouble. So it's that.
Speaker 5: And then it's what my son Noah said when he heard.
Speaker 4: That, you know, people could live possibly to one hundred and fifty years old and his and he was about ten or twelve years old when he heard this, and he went first thing out of his mouth.
Speaker 2: He goes, well, that's the end of marriage. I went, what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: He said, well, most people they meet somebody when they're thirty, they get married when they're thirty.
Speaker 2: You know, there's together thirty years. You're sixty. You go, all right, how long have I got? You tough it out?
Speaker 4: But have I got a lot of fifty years after that?
Speaker 2: And by the way, what's your secret of your long marriage? Eighty years? I haven't been able to hear. I can't get out of that care I can't move, I can't walk.
Speaker 3: The other thing is that our grandparents used to look old grandparents today don't look Nobody looks like my grandfather.
Speaker 2: Look at me. Don't you make one?
Speaker 3: And by the way, to David, just going to impact David, Yeah, he's in Florida. Imagine how many people are going to be moving to fall. Florida is going to tip and fall into the ard. I just tell you. And by by the way, by the way, end of life. We have a thing, we have a product that Jason and I have been working on.
Speaker 4: That's right, because this is a question that comes up all the time. My wife and I we talk about, you know, what happens a living will, and.
Speaker 2: My wife is.
Speaker 4: My wife says, if I have a hair for her, if she has a hair out of place and she can't fix it, pull the plug. I have a thing. My wife says, if you're in a vegetated state, what do you want me to do? And I go, well, how long have I How long have I been in this state?
Speaker 2: She goes two months.
Speaker 4: I go, uh huh huh am I bothering anybody? Because you know something could happen, something can turn it around.
Speaker 5: She's I can see her. She's salivating to pull the blue.
Speaker 2: She doesn't.
Speaker 5: She doldn't want the money going out the windows. She doesn't want her life to be ruined.
Speaker 2: By I get it, but you and I came up with.
Speaker 3: It because and this may sound selfish, and I don't mean it as selfish, but I've worked really hard to provide and I have in a living will. I would like to be a burden in my family. I mean not talking like weekend of burn someone goes skiing. I want to go to game, so I don't care if I put some Yeah, put something under arms like oven and put me in the in the passenger seat. You can use the express exactly. Put it put something that smells nice under my arms. If I'm starting to the cay, just make sure what's the rush?
Speaker 5: What's the word?
Speaker 3: So my wife I could see, she loves me, she's great, but I could see her. They say, you know what, do you want to pull a plug? And she trips on the court out of the hospital room and goes off or nobody's looking, and my son yanks. So we came up with a brand new product that I think is gonna be hot. If you want to invest, this could be your opportunity. It's called to pull or not to pull with the word two in their meaning to w W. You need two fingerprints, that's right, two fingerprints on the plug to get it out of it.
Speaker 4: And it can't be the same Thingerpriant. So it's you and somebody else. So in Mike, cause it'll be my wife and my cousin Leonard, who lives I believe in istam to go let her find him is an unlisted phone.
Speaker 2: And mine would be a friend from high school.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen in thirty eight years that she's got to find, So it could be who knows where.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, it's like the nuclear coach. You need.
Speaker 5: Two people are in the key.
Speaker 4: Two people said at the same time to pull the two.
Speaker 3: Two pull or not to pull bull. I think we're onto something that side. I think we Douglas. And by the way, our spouse is hearing this. Now they're pulling the floor. This was the incentive to full of flo.
Speaker 4: And by the way, every old bid my My wife had an aunt testy, God bless her. I think she lived to one hundred and five. You and I knew Kirk Douglas. He lived, Oh my god, like to old age. I do know a couple of people. My mom was ninety eight when she passed. Right, every person I know, with very little exception, when they get into that age, they don't, as the professor said, they don't really want.
Speaker 3: But you know what it's beginning. Joan River said this to me, which is really interesting. It's a friend died of hers and she said there are fewer and fewer people that I can say remember when too, and that I was half joking. But a minute, if you have a reason to you just you need that purpose. So I think when your mom or whatever, they lose the purpose, there's not I've done it, I've been there. But then again, what would happen if you know you could live to one hundred and fifty? Can you invent a purpose? What the psychology do.
Speaker 2: If I told you, honestly, this is a serious question.
Speaker 4: If I told you you could live fairly healthfully, not you know, fairly healthfully two hundred and fifty years.
Speaker 2: Now think about that, two hundred and fifty years. Would you take it?
Speaker 5: I suppose?
Speaker 2: And what's the choice or what we can expect? Now? Well, I don't you know. I couldn't answer.
Speaker 3: I don't think so, because I can't even project what that looks like, or if I be relevant, or how you work if you need a third job, is a third life? What does that even look like? I can't even wrap my head around that. But I will tell you a few study ask people if they would like to live two one hundred and twenty five. Yeah, and almost sixty percent said, now, well that's what he was right? Yea, they don't.
Speaker 4: I would say no, because I can tell you at sixty three, I'm already to I'm already beginning to not understand the world.
Speaker 5: I feel like technology is running away from me.
Speaker 4: I feel like, in some ways, sensibilities are beyond my you know, I grew up at a different time, so those you don't feel less relevant. It's not even my relevance. It's not like you know, I have to have a TV show. It's that because I can feel relevant, I mean.
Speaker 3: Relevant, I mean but knowing tech, being able to know the music, their culture, I don't fit.
Speaker 2: I'm not contributing.
Speaker 3: By the way, the other part of that alienation that I'm hearing is what's a younger generation going to do but the under fifties with somebody who's won twenty five and still working because they resent the fact and they're not retiring because I need that job. So there's a lot of moving parts of that.
Speaker 2: So I don't know.
Speaker 3: But if you told me it's two fifty, I'm on a desert island with the Swedish bikini team, Yeah, maybe I'm giving that. That said my father who smoked and drank and made it to ninety two, almost ninety two.
Speaker 4: If I don't make it to ninety two, I want to talk to somebody Google time.
Speaker 5: What do you got?
Speaker 6: Yes, yeah, well I love the idea of two poles.
Speaker 8: Although that's that's actually why God invented pillows, So you know, you get around that.
Speaker 5: Oh that's a whole new meaning.
Speaker 3: Just step out of the room for a minute.
Speaker 2: We didn't think you.
Speaker 5: Get, let's get let's get back to r D. I think Pillow healthcare.
Speaker 2: I think it's what we're looking at. Oh my god, oh my god.
Speaker 5: Wow, you did your job.
Speaker 2: You did your job. You did with the pillow.
Speaker 5: I think you completely that already.
Speaker 4: Again, nothing that will help us keep longer, but yes, anything, Well.
Speaker 8: I can't keep people alive longer. I certainly don't know more than the doctor, but I do know that.
Speaker 6: According to Statista, a.
Speaker 8: Market consumer data firm, globally, the anti age market as of twenty twenty one is sixty two point six billion dollars worldwide and it is expected to go up to ninety three billion each year in twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 2: I think they should spend as much as they caught to help us out.
Speaker 4: And it's the ind Asian market, but it's really what does that mean? You mean like the surgeries and the.
Speaker 2: Cost and everything about it.
Speaker 8: Botox, there's all sorts of different laser treatments for your chemical peels that we're all familiar with, High.
Speaker 6: Intensity focused ultrasound O.
Speaker 8: Great, why not fillers fillers such as hydrologic acid based gel, which gives you a nice defined chin.
Speaker 5: Sure you also have me necessarily, but I hear what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's Martha, Peter. I have a son of you. That's a compliment. I don't have a chin because that will go by David.
Speaker 3: That was I got it with the I'm really upset with the pillow thing. I completely blindsided me. That's horrible.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: All I know is what is the prevagon? If you eat a jellyfish, you don't lose your mind. I'm eating clams NonStop from now until the day I die.
Speaker 2: By the way, I think they should relabel clams soup with the age. Okay. I got to tell you right now, there's about a billion clams going.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Dorondo, we should be this should be eaten before eighteen forty six.
Speaker 6: Really now, really, really.
Speaker 2: Now, really.
Speaker 4: Thank you to our producer's Lori Crimean, David Grugenheim. Thank you everybody listening. This is the Really No Really podcast, available at the iHeart app, at the Apple App, and wherever you get your podcast. If you're watching on YouTube, we're here, and remember to like and subscribe, and we drop a new episode every Tuesday. How do I know that I am aging in dog years from dropping?
Speaker 2: By the way, release drop. Oh you want to release, We release the news. Do you think that's better now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it comes out every Tuesday, but something happens Tuesday. Yeah really no, really no, really pillows really I got I got krried of pillows.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmmm
Speaker 2: H