Speaker 1: Welcome to episode number one fifty one of the Marine Layer Podcast. It's a mailbag episode. We'll answer all of your guys's best questions.
Speaker 2: Here's your guys reminder before we start this show, stay on top of all of our stuff. If you want to do that, download these episodes. If you're listening, leave a five star review. You're doing us. You're doing us a big, big favor if you do, just make sure to leave that review. Leave a written review if you want to. If you're watching on YouTube, like comment, subscribe. Follow us on social media. We're on Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, and YouTube shorts at Marine Layer Pod.
Speaker 1: Let's get it rolling, and we welcome you to this episode of the Marine Layer Podcast, part of the Just Baseball podcast network. Recording Wednesday evening, July thirty. First post scheme of the Mariners getting walked off in Boston. We'll say it's only been three days, but I do miss playing the White Sox. I think that was a little bit more relaxing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. Why because they're may be gonna be the worst team of all time.
Speaker 1: That might have something to do with it. Certainly less stressful than watching this team attempt to play a series in Boston, which will now it will now be a full decade between winning series, at least between winning series in Boston a decade. It was funny they were reading it on the radio today, some of the players in the series, the last time the Mariners won a game in Boston. Do you realize there were two current general managers playing in that game in that series?
Speaker 2: You mean the last time they won a series in Boston, the.
Speaker 1: Last time they won the series in Boston.
Speaker 2: So Craig Bresla was probably playing. It's one yep, Jerry wasn't still playing by that. No, it's not in division? Can it be any GM in baseball?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh Chris Young?
Speaker 1: Yeah, start a game two?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what that's how.
Speaker 2: You know? Again? I still give the Mariners credit for winning that White Sox series because they face two very good starters and a young starter with some real upside. They're throwing the ball well in Drew Thorpe. So I'm not gonna totally gloss over that the Mariners winning in Chicago and sweeping in Chicago, but they got to find a way to start beating some of these competitive teams. They have to. There are four games under five hundred against teams that are over five hundred this year. That's not great. It's not awful, but it's not great. And they're actually gonna have some advantage over the Phillies this weekend because you look at the Phillies and the Mariners on paper and it's well, these can be the two best rotations in baseball. But where the Mariners actually luck out this weekend is they miss Aaron Nola and they're not facing Ranger Suarez because he's on the il, so they faced Tyler Phillips and Colby Allar the first two games. There's actually a chance there to take those take that series. But again, you have to start capitalizing.
Speaker 1: You just have to, yeah, you do. It was stressful this week or this week just playing in that ballpark, sort of the feel of it it. So this is going to sort of relate to our first mail back question. We'll get throw a mail back here in a few but Fenway is the second best run scoring environment in baseball this year, which is not shocking given some of the hits the Red Sox have where they could literally hit a ball that's like an expected batting average of below one hundred and it would just go off the monster for a double boom boom boom, and there's not much of the Mariner's pitchers could do about it, but certainly a lot more stressful. We didn't see any dominant outings from any Mariners starter or really reliever. This weekend was not a great weekend for the bullpen either, and you know, sort of disappointing that a team that we feel like the Red Sox are on the Mariners talent level, but this season it just seems like the Red Sox, especially in this series, you know, sort of just found a way more often than not to come through against this team. Well, and we talked about we talked about Monday's game on Wednesday's podcast releasing technically today when we're recording this on Wednesday, but when we recorded it after Monday or after Tuesday's game, where Logan Gilbert just you know, kind of got screwed on a pitch and you know, there's not too much you could do about that. But the lack of execution, I would say from some of the Mariners pitching was was was troubling. And then and then in Game three today they made they were sort of hanging on by deer life and had Jonathan Diaz pitch pitching the tenth inning with some other guys available, which was disappointing. He comes in and Raffie Devers walks it off and it was just a frustrating series. Mitch Garver had one of his worst in a bad season for him, had one of his worst games of the season on Wednesday, and it's just disappointing. So back to your point, loll about needing to play better against five hundred Teasyeah, it's gotta start this weekend because eventually, to make us all feel comfortable, they got a at some distance between themselves and the Astros again. They finally willed themselves back into first place this week, a game lead entering Wednesday's game, But you know, I could go, who knows what that's gonna look like on Friday as well. It's it's gonna require winning streak, and winning streaks are gonna require beating good teams like they did earlier in this season when they built a ten game lead, and unfortunately, some injuries have nagged the lineup a little bit on this road trip. The pitching, you know, on the road is not has been well documented. It has not been as good as it's been at home. That's plus for this weekend, but a minus for having to go and play teams like the Red Sox who hit a lot, and they hit a lot against the MS this weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Look, I want to give the Mariners offense some credit here because the first five games of this road trip they scored forty combined runs, so they really did break out and they showed some real life. Now, you can't do that all the time, and as a result, on Wednesday they didn't. They scored two runs, But overall, I think it was actually a fine road trip. A four and two road trip is a fine road trip. It just would have been very nice to see them get that game on Wednesday. So, like, you know, they're not coming back from this thing one in five where they lost two of three to the White Sox, then we'd be having having an entirely different conversation. There's reasons to be excited, like these trades have clearly, in a very short time span so far, helped not just help the offense and its production, but help the energy of the team too. But that doesn't change the fact that you have got to start taking advantage of competitive teams, and the Marders are gonna have a stretch here where they're playing a bunch of competitive teams. They're gonna play the Phillies, They're gonna play the Mets, et cetera, et cetera, And you're gonna like, the Tigers aren't great, but they're honestly not a pushover either. So you're gonna have to find a way to take advantage of some of these competitive teams and hopefully at home with your pitchers at home. You do that. I do. I do worry about Gregory Santos on just a minute here on that just because he's now you're now talking about this season. He has endured a lot injury, a knee injury, and now he has a bicep injury. We don't know the extent of what the bicep injury is yet here on Wednesday is gonna go. He's gonna undergo an MRI. But oof not. I mean, it's been a season of bad luck for him, I'll tell you that.
Speaker 1: And the Mariners can't really afford to lose him. The bulp, the the high leverage bullpen arms are few and far between, and you felt that this weekend they're really the only time the Mariners were truly able to put out the fire with the bullpen was Game two with Garcia and Muno's pitching back to back innings. That was it. That was the only time all weekend a reliever from the Mariner's bullpen came in and you felt comfortable about it. Which if you're gonna have to go on the road down the stretch and in the playoffs, it's not all. That's not ultimately gonna gonna help you out very much. It stinks, and we want Gregory Santos to pitch, but this just feels like it's gonna to be a lost season for him. This is since this is a this is technically I guess his third injury of the season for spring training. Spring training and then the two injuries in season. That's just this is this third third injury. I would feel like at this point, based on whatever that MRI says, I feel like they're just gonna be cautious and they'll just put him, put them on the I l it and you know, that'll bring Gabe Spider back to the big leagues, which which will be nice. I think it'll be nice to have gave back in the big leagues. But they really really could use Gregory Santos. Yeah, so it's disappointing. And the of some more troubling news out of this week is Victor Roblay sounds like he's gonna be doing with a hip issue for the rest of the season. That's not comforting. No Mariners need him, They need him at the top of the lineup, they need him hitting. I it's not gonna be good if if his performance is wilted a little bit by by this nagging issue. Scott Servis was making it sound like this isn't something that you could ten day I lum for and it goes away. So makes me a little nervous.
Speaker 2: So he's gonna have to play through it. There's a lot of guys playing I mean, there's players all throughout baseball that play through a ton of injuries during the season. I mean, I don't even want to know the laundry list of things that cal Riley's playing through. Yes, he does every year, but he's playing through it. So for Roblace, he's just gonna have to find a way to play through it, because it doesn't sound like they're gonna ee l him. It doesn't sound like ten days off his feet is just gonna fix everything. So if that's true, he's just gonna have to find a way to fight through this injury like a lot of players do. It's not gonna be easy, but he's gonna have to find a way to do it because he has, for all the right reasons, played himself into a role where the Mariners are relying on him and they need him. So he's gonna have to find a way to fight through the injury.
Speaker 1: And sometimes though it will still deteriorate even Collus performance, as tough as he is, we'll see the impact that injuries will take on him fatigue wise and all. So that's not the same for roblists. Let's hope he can find a way to look healthy with his play down the stretch. It might lead him to moro offtes. But thankfully the Mariners now will have you know, they have Randy, they have a right handed hitting corner outfielder who's a stud who hits well, and Julio's coming back as well. You can manage that, So that's good.
Speaker 2: I know we're gonna get to our mail back here in just a minute. On a more positive note, here. Can we spend a minute talking about the positives of Victor Roblace and the positives of Jorge Polanco here, because we haven't really had a chance to do it in weeks. We've had so many specified episodes that we've had to hit on over the last couple of weeks, between the draft shows and having Joe on to break down the Mariners draft class and the trade deadlines and Randy and like and everything, all of that kind of taking center stage in place of two guys who are very deserving of some real, real credit for what they've done. And I think everybody knows what Victor Roblace has now meant to the Mariner, especially over the last month, where the guy's got a nine to fifty. Ops, like that's real. He he looks like the top by prospect he was once supposed to be all of a sudden, But Jorge Polanco man like he was to this fan base, and at one point it felt like to the team too, with how little he was playing, it felt dead in the water with him. For at one point it felt like maybe he wasn't gonna be on the roster after the deadline. Well, fast forward to now, Polanco since about the tenth of July has turned everything around. Last two weeks, he's opsing about eight fifty. It's been awesome, Like they need this guy down the stretch. You want to talk about finding more sources of offense, and if Roe Blaze is gonna be a little bit hampered, if Cal's playing through injuries, Julio's gonna be playing through an injury. Polanco's dealing with injuries in his own right. But you want to talk about a guy that's really done a one to eighty on his season. He looks like the guy now that they traded for.
Speaker 1: And we're we're eventually gonna hear a cliche joke that it's almost like they added a third bat at the deadline with Jorge Plonco. We're gonna hear it. Oh well, we're gonna hear it, even if it's not technically true. I think we'll hear it. And it's important because they need guys to hit at the top of the lineup, especially with JP and Julio out. Especially with JP out, they need some production in the infield, like like up and down. So it's nice that Justin Turner's come back in and Justin they you know, they trade for Justin Turner. He's your first base slash DH and he's gonna give you a little bit of production. But you know, even pre chuee deadline, at this point, we were looking at Dylan Moore slash Leo Rivas at shortstop. Dylan Moore has actually been been Okay, Demo's a little bit streaky. He's been streaky his whole career, but right now he's in the midst of more of a good streak offensively. But Josh Rojas, a third has really struggled offensively, had a good road trip, but overall since May rolled around, has been dreadful offensively. So the Mariners needed to find some way to get some offensive production out of their infield, and they've got them at second base, thankfully, from both sides of the plate, he's been you know, Polanco's just sort starting to show a little bit why the Mariner's traded for him and not that, and that he perhaps isn't washed. Maybe there's a chance he's not. He's still got two whole months left to go. He could turn around and have an atrocious August and we do back to square one. I hope not. Mariners, sure hope not, because they can't afford to have him. While JP Crawford is out to have an atrocious August, He's gonna have to be the offensive driver on the infield. They're gonna need some position on the infield to have some sort of anchor offensively, and right now it's got to be him. Showed it on this road trip. He's hitting the ball over the fence, spraying the ball around. It's nice to see they, even in the like the more boomer way of talking about baseball, someone to sit up there and drive in runs when Roeblaze is on in front of you and Randy's on in front of you. Someone to drive in runs and not strike out. It's nice.
Speaker 2: He's hat about a one forty WRC plus since around the tenth of July. That that's the guy they traded for. That's more than the guy they traded for.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that keeps up the entire second half, but if it does, there's your infield production. He's doing it right now from both sides of the plate too. So his defense is never going to be great. We know he's still battling through some injuries, but if he can keep hitting That makes a very very drastic difference.
Speaker 1: Is there an on the Mariners right now? Not hurt anybody? Hmmm, Randy, Yeah, probably Randy the rotationally, just Randy the rotation. Yeah. They're doing okay. I think really they They haven't admitted anything, so that's good. Well except for except for Brian will I will note just confirm, like Jorge Polanco since July ninth, has a twenty one percent k rate. Look at that twenty one percent, and we were sitting here puzzled, why why the heck? He was striking out thirty one percent of the time early on in the season. Made no sense. This is more Jorge Polanco a twenty percent strikeout rate and eight percent walk rate. The WRC plus is not gonna sustain itself. That sample I chose it was one hundred and fifty two. It's not gonna stay that way. But you know, one twenty with those rates still pretty good, still pretty valuable, and still what the Mariners gave up. You know, guys like Justin Topa for to improve offensively this season. It's funny when guys actually play like they're supposed to.
Speaker 2: This offense works, Yes, it does, and as a result, they scored forty runs across five games. Hopefully when they come home long home stretch coming up, they can take advantage of it. Even playing some good teams like you get Randy and Justin Turner playing at home for the first time, you get this Jorge Polanka who's really swinging it. Well, you get Julio back. I think he's got a chance to be back this weekend. They say, you get him back. You you know cal keeps hitting.
Speaker 1: Is the ten days this weekend?
Speaker 2: What's that is?
Speaker 1: The ten days this weekend.
Speaker 2: I heard something that he might that he has a chance to be back this weekend. But we'll see.
Speaker 1: Hmm, okay, all right, So I hope, So, I hope. So it'd be nice. It'd be nice to get Julio back and then get this guy on track in August two. Please could do a whole lot. Maybe he just needed a breather, a breather on the sideline. Before we get to our mailback. I would just want to note a couple of things. One, Lono will I'll be back up in Seattle this weekend. Lona will both be at the ballpark all three days versus the Phillies. If you're going to a game, Come say hello, Come say hello to us. Best time to do it. We usually go out to the pen an hour before the game. For the hour before to start a game time we try and get out to the pen. So if you want to you want to find us, say hello, that would be the best spot to track us down. You can also shoot us at DM two and we're reachable by there. We'll see it and we'll come. We'll be walking around too, so if you see us, make sure to come flag us down. And second thing, in case you forgot and missed it, Low and I are hosting Brocknsalt when this episode comes out on Friday, so if you're listening to this between six and ten, you can also go and listen to us on the radio as well, hosting broknsoft from six to ten, So please go check that out. If you can't listen live, go listen to the podcast version of that. It would mean a lot to us.
Speaker 2: We're fired up about it. We've done it once, we're excited to do it a second time. We've got another good ranked planned. I think we've got a bunch of fun segments planned. So we're excited now that there's Seahawks training camp in full swing. They're actually gonna have us talks in football too, So we're mostly gonna do Mariners like that's probably why we're there for the most part. But we're gonna do a little bit of both so you can hear us talk about both. We are not a one trick pony, even though maybe by tuning into this podcast you might think.
Speaker 1: That, Okay, quick side shows Gino Smith a top ten quarterback in the NFL. Not quite but not par it's a hot take. No, I'm kidding. You get some pussy back about that.
Speaker 2: He's good. He's good, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: And Okay, we'll let your warm up. That's your warm up for Friday. Okay, graduation. There we go.
Speaker 2: And if you're not their pregame and just want to meet up during the game at some point, again like, well, we'll be walking around at some points and you can send us a DM all that stuff. So oh and I'm sure we'll do it. I'm sure we'll be doing fan questions out in the pen too. So if you want to hop on the mic, there's your open invite.
Speaker 1: Bring some ideas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's let's get to the mailbag in a second here Before that, let's take a pause. We're going to talk to you guys about our friends over at Pigatcha's Pub eighty five. If you're not going to the games this weekend and you want a place to go watch, you can head over there, grab your friends, plan an outing. There's twenty TVs in that place. You can watch the Mariners or any other sporting events that are going to be on. And if you want some great drink specials along with some awesome food, well there's awesome food regardless, but drink specials. It's Monday through Friday from two to six pm Happy hour. Drinks are three and four dollars. Yeah, three and four dollars. Those are good deals. So all of that is over at Pigatcha's Pub eighty five in Kirkland. All right, mailbag, let's get to the mailback. Let's start with a question from typical Underscore Ethan on Instagram, and the question is, seriously is it worth moving the walls in at t Mobile Park? Pros and cons of doing that? Pros It would certainly help the offense. Cons. This team is built on great starting pitching, and if you move the fences in at t Mobile Park. Who's to say their home road splits stone all of a sudden, become a little more even and they pitch a little more similarly to how they do on the road.
Speaker 1: How much would it really improve the offense? I'm curious, like, really, how much do you think you would improve the offense?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this is the thing. It's not like this offense flies out to the warning track all the time. They strike out a lot. They don't put the bat on the ball a lot. So I don't know how much moving the fences in helps. I think of anything, the batter's eye needs to be changed.
Speaker 1: Right, and this question doesn't include that, So we're not touching the batters ites, only the fences. So I'm not sure really how much this actually helps your offense. All I think this does is piss off your pitchers, And you know what, your pitchers are the best part of your team. So as of right now, yeah, I think the biggest con would be keeping Logan Gilbert, George Kirby, Luis Castillo, Bryce Miller, Brian will Happy and your ropin and keep the fences right where they are. They already moved the fences in a decade ago that if you look at the dimensions of Team Obile Park, they're very normal. They're normal dimensions. They're about as standard dimensions as you can have in Major League Baseball. So I moving it, moving the fences in, I don't think would have the effect you would want it to on the Mariner offense. Because guess what they moved the fences in to improve the Mariners offense? Was it twenty thirteen? Here we are eleven years later, and the offense still stinks.
Speaker 2: So if you remember how crazy those dimensions used to be at their large, it was three eighty eight to left center where you see the three seventy six side Now, it was three eighty eight. I'm pretty sure that was the longest distance out to a gap that you can find in baseball, aside from where's the where's the really long left center field? There is one in baseball. I'm blanking on where it is right now?
Speaker 1: Uh in left center pirates? No, that was center. Let's mostly center field?
Speaker 2: Okay, point being left center was very very far at T Mobile Park, paired with the marine layers still existed back then and balls would not fly. So yeah, the dimensions now are pretty normal, but it still doesn't change the fact that I don't know if move the fences in more really does that much, because this is a team built on pitching, and this offense it's again, they're not flying out to the track, they're striking out.
Speaker 1: So this question made me think about the Mariners Park factory. You rose, it's actually gone down again. It's not ninety one. How, Yeah, that's absurdly low. I think the next highest one's ninety six. Next lowest one is ninety six. That's insane. I think that's bigger. That's a bigger difference. I believe. I'll double check it, but I believe it's a bigger difference between cors Field, which is the number one offensive park, and Fenway, which is number two.
Speaker 2: It's just crazy that Seattle is that much tougher to hit at than Oracle, which is also a very long left center field fence, but Oracle like you're closer to the water at Oracle Park than you are at t Mobile Park. Yet somehow it's a more hitter friendly park. I don't know how that works actually, And the dimensions are tougher I think at Oracle.
Speaker 1: Park they are, so the difference in park factor is actually the same. So the Mariner T Mobile parks as much of an outlier for offensive suppression as coors Field is, so as the difference between one and two and then twenty nine and thirty. When it comes to part factor.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming San Francisco's twenty nine.
Speaker 1: I closed it. Let me look, but it's I know, the podreser down. Let's see, Guardians are actually second last.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, so where's Oracle Park?
Speaker 1: Oracle Park is twenty eighth, Razor twenty ninth. Oh, there's thirty one parks. By the way, they have London in here.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, hang on, the Rays are twenty ninth. You said, the Guardians are twenty ninth.
Speaker 1: Guardians are thirtieth. They have London in here too, So there's thirty one parks. Let's see. The Mets are twenty six, Padres twenty seven, Giants twenty eight raised, twenty nine, Guardians thirty, Mariner's thirty one.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, it's just crazy because again, like they're like Oracle doesn't have a roof. It's even more open than T Mobile. Like there are there are barricades a little bit in Seattle at T Mobile Park that might keep a little bit of wind out, not a lot but a little bit like in right field for example, right like that roof's there, it's big, Whereas Oracle Park it's so much more open and they are right next to the water, like closer than t Mobile Park.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's just the wind though, It's the climate, it's the air, it's the density of the air.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess that's part of it. Although like San Francisco again, like it's not friendly weather. You know what, here's a funny story. My family and I went to a game. I want to say I was ten or eleven years old. It's the only time I've been to Oracle Park and I want to get back. It was forty nine degrees at first pitch in August, no joke. It was that cold in the summer in San Francisco. Which is why I'm just that baffled by the fact that Seattle's that much tougher to hit at than San Francisco.
Speaker 1: And this is baffling too, because the last two seasons the Mariners have had a top not this year, the last two seasons before this by WRC plus, the Mariners have been a top eleven offense. Still, really they've hit fine, but this is still the worst part to hit it in baseball. Just it's flabbergasting. You know how, if you want the Mariners to improve their offensive environment, they'd have to play in a dome. That's how they fix it.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: That's that's literally the only way you change what is going on right now.
Speaker 2: But then that comes all the way back to the original question where that doesn't help your pitching.
Speaker 1: So nope, I would rather keep it the way it is right now. I agree because I think you can just play to the strength.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think you can. So I think you can build a good enough offense to score enough runs again, and you don't need to be the best offense in baseball. You need to be the fifteenth to the tenth best offense in baseball and you'll be just fine. You want to know, I was curious about this. The top five offenses in baseball all play in parks with a park factor below one hundred, all five Yankees, Dodgers, Orioles, Mets Padres.
Speaker 2: Speaks to how good a lot of those offenses are.
Speaker 1: Right, But the as you can see, the park factor, while closer to one hundred than the Mariners, is still below average in terms of a run scoring environment, and it does not affect them at all. Right, and they don't move the fences in. I mean, Dodger Stadium's a pitchers park. Yankee Stadium depending on which direction you hit the ball has its pluses and pluses and minuses as an offensive park. Baltimore turned into a pitchers park for at least right handed hitters. Yeah, right handed hitters. The Mets don't play in a small park. They move their fences in, but still it's not a small ballpark. And now there's a Padres. Padres famously have a pitchers park with about the same dimensions as the Ms. It doesn't matter. They still score.
Speaker 2: I think all in all here, leave it because you gotta favor your pitchers. That's your strength. It's going to be your strength for a while too, So that's that's just how it is. Okay. Second question here, This is from Jacob V. Mayor on Instagram, and he says, build your perfect ballpark example Green Monster, Wriggly, Ivy M's location, Oracle, sunset view, et cetera.
Speaker 1: How much criteria did you use for this? How many different boxes did you check?
Speaker 2: Do you want me to go through my list.
Speaker 1: Well, let me throw mine out first, and I'll see what you think about this location of the ballpark, like where relatively it is. I chose Wrigley's location because I think Wriggley is the best location in all of baseball. I think it's so cool. I have the dimensions of Great American Ballpark because who doesn't have fun watching a game a great American ballpark? I know I do, and watching this team, I think it would be a lot more fun watching them at Great American Ballpark. The layout of the stadium is T Mobile Park. The roof on the stadium is T Mobile Park. The ushers, I'm choosing Wrigly's ushers because when we went there, we didn't get any issues from Wrigley ushers at all, which is very refreshing different than some other parks. The food T Mobile Park. And then I have one more stipulation for this ballpark. The Mariners are not allowed to play there for my own sanity.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a good list of criteria you gave there. I think I did a little bit less, but I like it. I did think about the location thing in terms of what would be a fun place to be. I thought about Wrigly. I'm actually glad I didn't pick it, so we have some different answers. The location. I actually picked Philly for this because they're like the stadium district in Philly, it's all right there, like all the stadiums for all the pro sports teams are right next to each other, Like yes, the Seahawks and Mariners are right next to each other, but the Kraken and soon to be Sonics don't play close by. In Philly, everybody plays close by. And the fact that there's an Exfinity Live in Philly, like how we talked about how cool Texas Live was, how it's right next to the ballpark to where everybody goes after games. It's got all these different restaurants and bars. They have that in Philly, and I think Philly's is even more fun than Dallas's Arlington's. I picked Philly for the location, but like Jacob who asked the question here, I picked Oracle Parks View because it's gorgeous. I picked San Diego's weather that would be nice. I picked T mobiles dimensions like you. I'm sorry, I said, I jumped into the future and said technology got so good and we bend the rules where it's the t Mobile dimensions for when the Mariners are pitching, and it's the minute made dimensions for when the when the Mariners are hitting the hit, they get the Crawford boxes okay, and the short right and the short right field porch too, but everybody else has to deal with Seattle dimensions. Okay, No I did that. And then oh I also had Tea Mobile Parks roof because build a roof on your stadium, period.
Speaker 1: Yes, I like it.
Speaker 2: I like it. Okay, what did I leave out that you had? Yeah, you didn't. I didn't have anything in there about the ushers or the food. Tea Mobile Parks food is pretty amazing.
Speaker 1: I don't know, like it, need to have more food at more parks. But no park has the diversity of food that Team Obi Park does. Now, if they do, I haven't tried it, Slash been to the park enough to try all of them.
Speaker 2: Right, Like Yankee Stadium's got some things that are, you know, on people's bucket list, right, like the Judge Burger. Although that's like one hundred dollars right whatever it is, No, it's not, No.
Speaker 1: It's like, uh, I think it's like twenty five bucks. They only make well. At first they only made ninety nine of them, and now I think they sell unlimited or however much.
Speaker 2: They have got it well. So there's some things like that at other ballparks that are that can be iconic things to try. Everybody talks about the Dodger Dogs at Dodger Stadium, although I've heard some people say they're actually not that good. I guess we have to try it for ourselves. I've never been to Dodger Stadium, so whenever I get there, I'll have to I'll have to give it a shot. But yeah, I don't know if Seattle really has anything like that, but the diversity of food, for sure, Like everybody who goes to the ballpark and wants ballpark food has something to pick from. So that's nice.
Speaker 1: Right now, I wouldn't choose Yankee Stadium food because like everything in the ballpark, it's just so corporate. Just know, like, what's the right word flavor? Flavor?
Speaker 2: The Mets, the Mets are the blue collar team of New York, that's for sure. The Yankees, the Yankees are the corporate team.
Speaker 1: Yeah that yeah, oh certainly so I like our like our stadiums.
Speaker 2: Where was your location I said, Philly, Oh.
Speaker 1: You said right right, right right, Yeah, yeah, it works.
Speaker 2: Out because it's again it's right next to everything.
Speaker 1: Now that's good. Let's get to our next question here on Instagram. This is coming from Chase on Instagram, and his question is who do we target this free agency?
Speaker 2: Can we start with the obvious? Please?
Speaker 1: All right? Let me count you down, three, two, one, one Soto booom.
Speaker 2: Now do I think this is gonna happen?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: But this doesn't like the Kyle Tucker thing, because that's happening. But anyway, the one Soto thing is probably a pipe dream. That being said, if I were the Mariners, I would outfit every team by one hundred million dollars for Wan Soto this winter. And I'm serious about that. I am not somebody that sits up here and says every big name free agent worth it. I was no proponent of giving Xander Bogarts an eleven twelve year contra. I was no proponent of the idea of giving Cody Bellinger ten to twelve years when that idea was being floated out. This winner never because some of these guys and these contracts are not worth it. You will not find a better free agent in the next five free agent classes. At least it could be more than that than Juan Soto. Not a better bat, that's for sure, and he is twenty six years old. How often do you find guys a debut at nineteen like he does. There are good guys that will debut at twenty one Gunner Julio Bobby Witt, not nineteen. And Juan Soto is going to hit free agency as a twenty six year old. You could give that guy a thirteen year deal and he will. He might be good for all thirteen because when he gets to be thirty eight thirty nine years old, he still might be putting up a one to fifteen, one to twenty WRC plus because he is that good a bat and he won that much. If I were the Mariners, I would outfit every team by one hundred million dollars for Wan Soto because he's worth it. And that contract won't pay for itself quite like show has well, but it's close. It will pay for a lot of it here.
Speaker 1: So let's let's do some negotiations for Wan Soda here so it will start at seven hundred million dollars. I will also as part of the Seattle tax to get people all the way up here to the Pacific Northwest. I will also name Juan Soto, principal owner of Root Sports. Congratulations one. This is a wonderful, wonderful company that you get to take over with some fantastic people working for it, and you get to run and you get to make all those cable television dollars. Congratulations. I'm also Juan Soto giving you a cut of all of the profits from the box Yard across the street from the from the stadium. I'm gonna give you, let's say, five percent of everything sold, all the profits made on the box Yard. I'm him giving to Juan Soto. Do you than it sounds like a pretty good deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Do you mean the hat back when you say the box yard.
Speaker 1: Well, it's the whole the all the restaurant, the whole area is called the box Yard.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, got you.
Speaker 1: I don't want to short change him on only give him five percent of profits from one of the places. I only give him all three.
Speaker 2: Actually, I was thinking by him just signing a contract with the Seattle Mariners, he immediately gets a key to the city. How's that?
Speaker 1: M But what is it. What does he get a key to? Like? What does he get I'm offering him.
Speaker 2: Cash, but you've already offered him so much. This is in addition, it's showing Seattle's gratitude already. The Yankees can offer him whatever they want. Are they offering him a key to New York City? I don't think so.
Speaker 1: So Let's let's get him a box for a box and season tickets for the Seahawks. That'll be a good start when he's not playing. Want him to be comfortable integrated into his new city. How about else we get him?
Speaker 2: How about season tickets to the Mariners for any family in a sweet for any family and friends that ever want to come.
Speaker 1: And see him play, YEP and Diamond Club, depending on what they want. Sure it's okay, Oh so many, so many more things. We get him a we'll throw him give him a boat too, how about that?
Speaker 2: Sure? I mean he'll probably be living in Bellevue, Medina anyway, so sure he can have a boat.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, let's just help him out home out a little bit. We got connections.
Speaker 2: Listen, when we say we'll overpay one so too by one hundred million dollars, we say that because that's what it would take to get him to Seattle. For example, if the Yankees offer one Soda a six hundred million dollar contract in free agency, how are the Mariners going to beat that? It's they can't offer him six oh five and beat it. You just can't. You need to significantly outbid every team, and he is worth outbidding for Most of these free agents aren't worth it. You've heard me bang the drum for two and I will keep it that way. Shoe Hey. Last offseason, I said every penny's worth it, Wan Sota, it's the same thing. Every penny's worth it. And there's not gonna be free agents in most other classes that i'd say that about. Listen, I'm a Kyle Tucker guy through and through. He needs to be a Mariner. He's gonna be. However, if he were to hit free agency, if the Mariners haven't traded and extended him already before he actually gets to free agency, I don't think I'd sit there and say he's worth seven hundred million dollars at thirty one years old. Juan Soto is worth that is like the actual value to player, seven hundred million dollars. Maybe not quite, but if you want to get him to Seattle, that is, and it's still worth every penny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, every single penny. And remember you're gonna have to pay a percent inch more than everybody else just because where you, where you play, how much time you spend on a plane. How As we just talked about at the beginning of this mail bag, this place is really difficult to hit. It really difficult and wan subtle. You know, when he hits a ball to the warning track in April's probably be pissed. That's fine, But you make him richer to not think about that. That's fine with me.
Speaker 2: How about this, If Won Soto somehow signed with Seattle and became a one to ten WRC plus hitter for his career, you're building a dome because if he can't hit here, nobody can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, blow up the stadium, just like they did the Kingdom, or rebuilding the Kingdom. Yeah, yes, nicer though, Oh yeah, yeah, way nice. So anyway, but there are some other free agents we can talk about here. What Juan Soto is the obvious one. If the Mariners get the opportunity to sign Juan Soto, they absolutely should, But there are other needs on this team too. And I think there's the most pressing need at first base. There's some good ones available. There are some good ones all right, last five seconds on one Soto. They have the money for it. It's just whether they choose to spend it. So spend it correct.
Speaker 2: First base. I would be shocked if one of these four first basemen honestly is not in a Seattle uniform. Two of them could be trades who we just talked about in our last episode, Vladdie Yandi diez, and that's possible. But if it's not them, I would say it's two guys that Mariners fans have spent a decent amount of time this year talking about who they thought they could trade for as a rental. Who will instead be a free agent this winner Pete Alonzo Christian Walker. So of those four guys, Alonzo Walker, Vladdie Yandi bet you one of those guys finds his way into a Mariner's uniform. And in terms of the free agents, Walker is having more success right now this year. Pete's also younger, He'll probably cost more, but either of them are good fits.
Speaker 1: Yes, all of the above don't isn't a tough decision you take which one is available to you at this point. I think Vladdie would be the number one option. But if Latti inks a three hundred million dollars extension with the Blue Jays in the off season, that's going to be a little difficult to pull off. So then you pivot to what would be all right. But whether it be prospects or cash doesn't matter. It doesn't matter. Do which which one? Which everyone says yes, you sign them? Because that's that is the state of the Mariners first base position next year. Yeah, yeah, you get you get someone to say yes. But there are other needs to lyle that could really help the Mariners around the infield. At second base, I mean, Brandon loo has a it's unlikely. I don't know what how the Rays feel about ten and a half million. I feel like if you they had a million dollar contract on the books at this point, they wouldn't want to pay it. But Brandon Lowe has a club option for ten and a half. He could be a free agent. He could not, so depending on how the Mariners see their roster next season, and if he was a free agent, they could think he's an option. Mariners also might have a need at third base next season. Willia Domas could slide over and play third base. Hasn't played third base as a big leaguer, but I think if you pay him enough money, he could He usually plays more of the middle. Or you could sign him and have someone else currently on your roster play third base. You could Alex Bregman if you feel like that could work, based on where he had played in the past, and you can make the price work. I think you would fit offensively. And Matt Chapman someone who the Mariners wanted to trade for a couple of years ago. It's now gonna be a free agent this offseason, so that could work. All those guys could work, And in the outfield, I'll actually know what I'll let you do the outfielders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And Chapman's always interesting because again, like we talked about how polarizing his batted ball profile can be. But he's had a solid year and we'll see if he opts out in San Francisco or not. But that would be interesting. I'll get to the outfield in a second. But just to respond to the guys you listed off, do you feel like the Rays might pick up Lao's option just so they can make sure to get something back for him, because Loo actually has a couple club options in that contract, So if somebody were to trade for Loo, they would have some club control. Would the Rays say, okay, let's pick this up because somebody will trade for him and we can get something back.
Speaker 1: I didn't think of that, So, yes, that is what the Rays are gonna do. Yeah, I could almost guarantee that now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because ten and a half millions not that much.
Speaker 1: Well, he could pick it up and not pay any of it, right exactly, pick it up and then trade him. Mm hmm, So that may happen if he was available. It's still trade for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Same. But outfielders, well, Victor Roeblaz is one. He's gonna be a free agent, and we talked about that the other day. We don't think he should cost that much. And if you're the Mariners you brought him back on some demo type of contract three years, nine million bucks, you should do it because either you get a great deal out of it, or if he really doesn't play well, then it's not that much money to lose to let him go anyway or trade him somewhere else. So that's one. But guys outside the organization. We said Anthony SANTANDERA that would be awesome. He's lighting the world on fire this year, especially with his bat.
Speaker 1: And then Max Kepler, Yeah, Santander sounds really good. I thought he struck out more than he did. It's only like eighteen percent. Oh, just I can picture a lyle. Anthony Santander finishes the twenty twenty four season with a nineteen percent strikeout rate, comes to Seattle in twenty twenty five, gets paid a lot of money, and ends next year of the twenty eight percent of strikeout rate.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I thought you had the year wrong, but you were saying, yeah, finished twenty four. Then comes to Seattle in twenty five. Yeah, after signing Juan Soto, who starts, who goes from striking out about fifteen percent of the time also to twenty eight percent of the time.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll bump one up to thirty one.
Speaker 2: Do you imagine? Could you imagine one snyke could He's like the one Gianchize. He's like the one guy where I can't imagine it. Like his his approach, his discipline is actually just too good.
Speaker 1: If he struck out thirty one percent of the time, he's literally walking into an ownership board meeting and saying we got to do something about that damn battersie fix it, and right now, you know they would fix pretty fast the batter's I.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they'd say, well, it costs seven hundred million dollars for one so so how much would it cost to fix a batter's eye? Not that much? No, a couple million dollars right, Nope.
Speaker 1: And again, if that were the case, it's like blow it up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's gonna be plenty of time for free agency talk moving forward, obviously when the season ends too. But I know everybody's already thinking about it. We're now already thinking about it. So yeah, it's a good question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again, like Lele said, that'll be a good off season topic. But I'll let you get to your next question. A second. Before we get to your question, let's hear a word from game Time summers here, guys, and that means it's time to get out to T Mobile Park and watch the ms. Want to get out to the pen, grab a drink and watch the game with your friends. Let game Time help you get there with killer last minute deals all in prices, use from your seat, and their lowest price guarantee. Game Time takes the guesswork out of buying mob tickets. The Phillies are coming into town tonight and looking at these prices, it's a hot ticket. It's forty five dollars to get in the door tonight, It's forty dollars tomorrow, and forty dollars on Sunday. Prizes have really jumped in the last week, so you're gonna want to get on that before it's too late. Get a panoramic view of your seat and toggle the all in pricing future so you know how much you're paying and what the view is before you buy. Your purchase is covered with the most flexible customer service policy in the ticketing industry. Take the guestwork out of buying MLB tickets with game Time. Download the game Time app, Create an account and use code just Baseball for twenty dollars off your first purchase terms apply again. Create an account and redeem code just BASc balll just Baseball for twenty dollars off. Download the game Time app today, last minute tickets, lowest price guaranteed.
Speaker 2: So the next question, it's from Ellie who runs the account. Tried and takeover on Instagram she always sent some good questions, and she sends, who would you want to play a round of golf with? Choose three players.
Speaker 1: I don't think you and I have ever picked the same answer quicker than this. Yeah, okay, so let me read off my three. I would play with Gabe Spire because he's our guy, and I'd love to spend a round of golf with Gabe Spire. I think that would be a lot of fun. And then the two biggest personalities on the team, Taylor Sausato and JP Crawford. And then my note underneath all of this is that this is the easiest list of all time.
Speaker 2: I'd say Sauce is also our guy too, so yeah, he has to put it to put it in that same category. But I'll tell you what, You're not walking away empty handed from that round. You're gonna have stories to take home with you after a round of golf with that group. Especially Sauce and JP, who are now responsible for some of our most viral clips, are honestly almost.
Speaker 1: All of them. Those guys are the only JP and and Sauce are the only I think of, if I have my math and my memories corrected, they are the only players who have eclipsed two hundred thousand.
Speaker 2: On Instagram for US. Yeah, period, not including me talking about for the first time ever, how Kyle Tucker was going to be a Mariner?
Speaker 1: Is that over two hundred?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, throw the hosts out external factors?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh. You know, for any of you who have not watched any of these recent JP Crawford clips, you should go watch. But you know what, let me take a moment here to say when you watch be nice. People online aren't nice. And JP's like, JP's awesome, and you guys, everybody who listens to the podcast knows that. All Mariners fans know that. And I think he stands for all the right things. I think everybody knows JP's a really good person, which is why when he's got to take like how we asked them, how like what type of conspiracies do you believe in? Or like, what's one other you believe in besides aliens being real? The reason we asked his question is he was on Mookie Betts's podcast last year. He was talking about that. He's like, oh, yeah, I'm convinced they're out there and they exist. So and he was and he mentioned on that podcast. I'm into a lot of that stuff, a lot of conspiracy theory stuff, so I kind of asked, like, what's another you believe in, and he basically said, well, I think the earth is kind of shaped like asgard in Thor And that rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, which, you know, I really wish people could just take a little bit of a deep breath online before deciding to just unleash on somebody. Cause again, I think we know JP's a good dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I'm gonna be honest, that was the first time I'd ever heard that one.
Speaker 2: Same, same and it was good, like like it was creative. I got it, Like, I'll certainly give JP that it was very, very, very creative, which is funny. Even JP himself left to comment too, He's like, dude, why is everybody so mad? With a bunch of laughing emojis? Oh he is, Like I said, you will not walk away from that round of golf without stories from that group. So anyway, if you have not seen that clip, you should go watch it. It's on all our social channels. But also be nice, try to relax and take a deep breath when you watch. It's as we like to say, it ain't that serious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I couldn't have put it any better myself. Let's get to our next mailbag question. This comes from Brandon Stafford twenty five on Instagram, and his question is where will Victor Roeblist hit in the order when JP and Julio come back.
Speaker 2: Toward the top of the lineup. He's earned that at this point he has to. Again we mentioned it earlier in the show. He's got a nine to fifty ops in his last thirty games. He has to be hitting toward the top of the lineup. This is roughly what I drew up for when everybody's healthy, including in September, when JP's back, Assuming Roeblace is still hitting in this scenario and hitting well looks something like this, I said, Roeblace, Julio, Randy cal Turner, Polanco, Garver, Rojas, JP. I put it like that, JP hitting ninth, Well, okay, where do you want to put him instead? Knowing Scott's service, JP Crawford's back in Leidos spat Listen, we just talked about how awesome JP is he is, but like now we're talking baseball here, and I would love to see JP get back to twenty twenty three JP and have a really good September when he gets back. But so right now, it's not really happening.
Speaker 1: And I agree. My question is is that your lineup or what you think Scott's service will do.
Speaker 2: I guess that's what I drew up. Okay, what Scott, What Scott will do, I don't know, but you know what, six weeks off your feet is actually kind of a long time. And if Roeblas is still hitting like this and they're they're in a race for the playoffs and for the division. I think Scott Servis would also say, I can't ignore Victor Robls putting up a nine hundred ohps. He needs more bats.
Speaker 1: I still think there's a way to make this work, though, So when I think when JP comes back, I think he's gonna be in the leadoffs box. He's been in the leadoff spot since he started tearing it up last year, and I think Scott Servis trusts him quite a lot, and he has a lot of the traits of a leadoff hitter, even if his performance hasn't been up to part with the bat this year, I think it'll go something like this, JP leading off Randy bats second, Julio bats third, Cow bats fourth, Victor Roblaz bats fifth, Justin Turner bats sixth, Jory Polanco bats seventh, whoever's dhing bats eighth, and Josh Rojas bats ninth.
Speaker 2: That could work. I'd probably honestly flip Turner and Roblaze in that situation. I'd probably have Turner hit five. But yeah, like like close enough.
Speaker 1: And it's also not a bad thing that you have good hitters hitting lower in your lineup. Based on what we've watched this year, I think having good hitters anywhere in the lineup is a plus.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, yeah, I would agree, I would agree, So I don't know. Again, that's probably how I would draw it up the lineup I wrote out, But I'm not Scott's service. Scott might see something different and want to do something different, but he could point.
Speaker 1: Maybe it'll be a good problem to have if he's sitting there and legitimately thinking of JP. Crawford should still be the leadoff hitter.
Speaker 2: Right, because that means Roblaze is still going off. Yeah, So okay, next question. This is from tav dot metcalf on Instagram. Hardest prospect to see go now? I'm assuming by this question he is asking if the Mariners were to make a trade and part with a prospect, who would be the toughest one to see be traded.
Speaker 1: Be Cole Emerson because of A where he's currently ranked by some outlets, and B the fact he's playing state side. He's playing in affiliated ball state side, not at the complex league like Felman, Selston Is and Felnin could eventually, with his talent and all this hype that he's gotten, could pass Colt. Funny enough, it's pretty incredible to say that. But with the talent, it's not out of the question. It's not one hundred percent that he'll never do that. But I'd say, you know, I would say it's cult now if I'm gonna flip this question around and answer it how I think I read it when I answered this question. If he if he were to ask who is the hardest prospect you have seen gone like get traded in the you know, recent past, I would say Noelvie Marte because they could really use him right now on the could they Well, Castile has been pretty awesome, so it's worked out. I know he's suspended, but if when he's when he's not suspended.
Speaker 2: No, no, he's not suspended anymore. This is what I was gonna ask you. Have you taken a peek at what Noelvie's done this year since coming back? Well, I let me, let me let you take a peek, and when you look, you can read to the fans what he's up to.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm kind of scared.
Speaker 2: Now let's see, Yes, he plays third base, but would you like to enlighten the fans his numbers?
Speaker 1: Wow, so I will say, it's only been twenty six games, but yikes, it's now I've been great, read aloud, five oh five ops now almost negative one win above replacement. So yeah, not really good me lyile. I think I was thinking a little bit more along the lines of what he was doing last year before he got suspended, where he had a three sixteen, three sixty six, four fifty six slash line eight twenty two ops in thirty five games. I think that's what Mariner fans would miss, not what he's doing after a suspension this year now. And you could say, well, he was he could have been. He was juicing. I can't argue that. But you know what, as you and I have said, sometimes you know, it's a it's only cheating if you get caught b Like no, Mariners might have if had more people players cheating in the past, they might have played a little bit better made the playoffs.
Speaker 2: You're now endorsing everybody needs to start juicing. Well, look at the results.
Speaker 1: Otherwise Maria's been a clean franchise and haven't done shit.
Speaker 2: Oh well they had Robbie, they had Nelson Cruz.
Speaker 1: That's true. Yeah, that's true, and still didn't make the playoffs. Well, ANDELV I think, Yeah, Noelah was in the ORG at the time. Wow.
Speaker 2: No, No, he was not in the ORG when they made the playoffs twenty training.
Speaker 1: For Luise twenty eighteen when everyone was juicing, he was Josh signed adjust been signed. Yeah, but who knows that what he was doing.
Speaker 2: Then it's true anyway. Yeah, I'm not really interested in like a thirty seven WRC plus hitting noelvi Marte coming off of suspension to be honest with you.
Speaker 1: Okay, then I'm thinking of what he did last year, but still among the best prospects they have given up recently, he would be the one you missed the most.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that part's true because Edwin Arroyo hasn't really done much since he got traded, which is funny, Like when Edwin Arroyo got traded, there were people starting to say he might be the best prospect in the Mariners organization at that time. Jeff Passen said that on Brocken salk I remember, but he hasn't done much since then. He's not even really a top one hundred guy anymore.
Speaker 1: And those pitchers they traded, like Mariners developed pitching so unbelievably well, like you could get over trading Brandon Williamson and Connor Phillips, but Noelvie Marte. Yeah, he was a top international signee. He was rated very highly throughout the minor leagues, and you know, there's still hope that he's going to be a very solid big leaguer and a very solid hitting big leaguer. Like remember, he's young, so he's got time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he does, dude. Connor Phillips got sent back to the Complex League this year. He was he was having a yeah, like now he wasn't in the big leagues for the most part this year. In fact, he hasn't been in the big leagues at all this year, but he has a ten eleven era in Triple A Louisville this year, and it got so bad to the point where, like the Red said, there are mechanical things that he needs to work on, and they send him back to Arizona. So he has a he has a ten eleven era in Triple A this year and a two twenty six whip.
Speaker 1: Well, so, cause you're wondering how the castile trade's going, well, he was the Gino Winker trade but still well trading with the Reds. Yeah, exactly, like Levi Stout made his way back to the Mariners because he didn't do much. Brandon Williamson's been very okay since he's since he's been traded over to the Reds. Like, yeah, the Mariners actually haven't lost any prospects recently that they're absolutely shedding tears about. Actually Brandon Williamson hasn't pitched all year, but yeah, like there's not a lot of prospects they've lost recently that that are just heartbreaking. Now, if you want to go ever, Adam Jones, Pablo Lopez, Freddy Peralta, I was gonna say, if you do like the last decade, he would all be like post twenty twenty one because the members didn't have any good prospects pre what from twenty twenty eighteen to twenty thirteen, like almost none.
Speaker 2: Do you count Kyle Lewis because he won Rookie of the Year. Do you mean just solely as a prospect prospects?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because Kyle Lewis in that timeframe, he like when they had initially initially got drafted, like wow, amazing. They tore up his knee, so all most of his prospect I was a good chunk of his prospect luster went out the window when he did that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think in terms of the original question, again, I don't know which way he's asking it. I think it's about which prospect would be the hardest to go right now. But I would say Colt Emerson too now. I think on another episode I might have said fell mean slightly over cold. I think it's close, but Colt's a little closer than Celestine. Celestine just unfortunately endured another wrist injury. I don't we don't know what the extent of it is yet, Like we haven't heard any further on it. But again, Colt is an affiliated ball And also for those who might not know Colt Emerson as of Wednesday morning, has a thirty five game on day streak in Modesto. That guy's pretty good, and Keith Wall has him as his number five prospect in baseball as a nineteen year old in Lowa. I think that guy's gonna be pretty good if all, if everything keeps up and.
Speaker 1: He's doing it while not hitting for a ton of power.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Like imagine when he actually starts hitting for consistent power, so you go over that stretches slugs only like what four p thirty something like that. Yeah, it could be a lot better.
Speaker 2: Point being, we're probably gonna see coult Emerson in Modesto by the end of the year. Sorry, Everett. By the end of the year, people are gonna have very good reason to get out to Everett here in the next couple months because Lazara Montes is there, colt Emerson should be there soon. We assume Durangelo Sinjo is gonna be there. That's gonna be a that's gonna be a fun team to go watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. Next question comes from Mitchell Hopkins on YouTube, and his question is what is your ideal playoff rotation if they started today?
Speaker 2: Hmmm, So this is our second to last question, by the way, in the mailbag, just so people know, But Logan and Kirby one two is obvious. I think you have to go with those two.
Speaker 1: What order?
Speaker 2: I'd probably go Logan first. How about you?
Speaker 1: I put Kirby first. I think it works out because in a five game series, Gilbert pitches game five. In a seven game series, Kirby pitches a game seven, So it works out either way you get one of those two.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you have a preference though, at this, at right this very second Kirby?
Speaker 2: Okay, for the third guy, I might. I don't know if you're gonna crucify me for this or not.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Well I'm based on your language, the words that just came out of your mouth, I have a feeling of what you're about to do.
Speaker 2: Okay, In a five inning sample, I would probably say, Brian Wu But if you need some okay, no, it's no, okay, it's no, it's it's it's Louise. It's Louise.
Speaker 1: But were you serious?
Speaker 2: Well? Okay, But in like, in like a four inning sample this year, if you talk about like the first four or five innings, who has actually dominated hitters more this year? That's what I'm getting at here.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, Brian Wu, in his very very small sample of what he has pitched this season, correct, what's the difference in innings between those two?
Speaker 2: Drastic? Absolutely drastic. But I am talking about swing and miss walk rate hard Like, I'm sure, I'm sure we're gonna get comments of some people calling me crazy. I don't. I don't think it's that crazy. Now, Brian Wu's never worked into the seventh inning in his career, so that plays into this in terms of longevity. But like it is, I don't think it's a hot take to say when they have been on the mound, who has overpowered hitters more this year? Brian Woo or Louis Castillo, like, pull up their Savant pages tell me what the difference is.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying I can, in good faith do that. I can't.
Speaker 2: So if that's the case, then Wu needs to piggyback somebody on one of these starts. That's what I do with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm I'm I'm sorry to and like like and just sitting here looking at his game logs lyle like like, yeah, So Wu overall in the season, in the small sample he's pitch is good over the first five innings of a start. On a rate basis, Brian Wu has been better than Louis Castillo. But I mean, if you just want to appel back the curtain and look a little bit about who he's facing, I mean, it's the A's, it's the Royals. They played him at t Mobile part. The Royals don't hit on the road. He did pitch well in New York against the Yankees, but we know that's a shaky offensive team outside of two bats. He faced the Nationals, he faced the Angels, he faced the A's again before he got lit up by the Guardians. He got hurt against the Rays, and then he faced the Angels again where he got got lit up. So it's like it's not all sunshine and roses and their earies right now, while are actually kind of similar. So oh, actually no, there's a sorry, there's a run separating it. Sorry. I thought it was a three in front of it two three five for Wu and like a three to three for Castillo. But no, I can't do that. I can't. So the center with Castillo has shown you in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that plays a factor here. I just again, I don't. I don't love the fact that he's getting hit very hard this year, and I don't love the fact that there have just been very starts this year that you can really pinpoint and say, this looks like ace Luis Castillo. Now, okay, when it's all said and done, yes, I'd probably pick Castillo over Brian Woo to start the third game. And that's and and and most of you would too. But then in that case, we should piggyback one of these starts, because a lot of times starters don't make it that far in a postseason start.
Speaker 1: So here's my here's another problem I have with this. So like over so over the first five innings, yes, but we're at the point right now in the season where we don't even trust Brian would have finished five innings seriously, So.
Speaker 2: Then he piggybacks somebody, That's what I'm saying. Look at look at that, but he's not starting. So look at what most starters do in the postseason. When Luis went seven and a third scoreless in Toronto, that was awesome, Like he dominated, But those starts, this isn't just about Louis. This is in general don't often occur in postseason outings. A lot of starters get chased early in postseason games. It just seems to happen. Logan Gilbert, when can he pitched that outing in Houston? He went about five, five and a third, So if that happens. We've got questions about the Mariners bullpen, right like some especially with Santos's injury. Let Wu piggyback, let him go three, let him go four, whatever, it shortens the need to have a bullpen finish the rest of the way from the fifth inning on in a playoff game. Like how about so again? So how about like, if you don't trust Wu to go deep in a postseason game, that's fine because he hasn't shown he even does it really in the regular season. But would I would trust him to piggyback that's for sure to get three us Fine.
Speaker 1: I have no problem with the piggyback. If your best pitchers are pitching, that's totally okay. I mean, I trust Brian Wu coming out of the bullpen if he has to, Like Saint Luis Castillo, struggles like he has at times this season, gets hit hard, doesn't have his best command, comes out of the game in the fifth inning, and Yeah, Wu comes in and pitches you through the seventh. That's fine, that's what you want. Then you go Jimmy Garcia and Munos close out the game. That's that's a pitching plan I can get behind. But Louis Castillo's starting Game three not a question, all right.
Speaker 2: I just again, I'm sure we're gonna have people that disagree, and that's fine. Like I just I will once again say that while I would still probably pick Castillo to start Game three, that I don't think it's that hot of a take to say that. In the samples each of them have. In terms of who has overpowered hitters more this year, it's been Brian lou.
Speaker 1: If Louis Castillo had the same workload as Brian Wu, would he look more dominant.
Speaker 2: I don't know, to be honest.
Speaker 1: Well, in the sense of not having to pitch as long.
Speaker 2: Maybe, but it's not like he often gets lit up very late in the game, and it's because it's a fatigue thing. They'll get lit up early in the game sometimes, Louise.
Speaker 1: That's fair, but it knowing you only have to pitch four you could throw harder. Stuff's all sharper.
Speaker 2: That's true, But it's look, it's I'm sure we're just taking I mean, I'm sure we're just having some discussion here, like this is just two people sitting and debating what's probably probably in the end gonna be nonsense, because I'm sure the rotation they will roll out in the playoffs would in some order be Kirby Logan Castillo. But I I think I think if you're gonna try to get through a postseason, even with the rotation as good as the Mariners, you're gonna need Brian Wu. And honestly, if they choose to go four starters in terms of a playoff rotation, like he's the guy I'm picking forth, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would that would definitely be a piggyback, like they would probably split it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, So point being like Mariners make the playoffs, Brian Wu's gonna be important that ar Like, I'll start that narrative right now, whether he's starting the game, whether he piggybacks, they are going to need him because there are not many guys on this pitching staff period who have better overpowering stuff than him, So they're gonna need him.
Speaker 1: Let's get to our last mail back question. This comes from Jacob sending us a question on YouTube, and the question is, now that you're regulars on seven to ten filling in, what is the next goal? Where would you like to fill in or get a recurring gig next?
Speaker 2: Well, that's nice, he says that. I mean, I don't know if we're technically regulars yet, but I mean it's cool we're doing it a second time, that's for sure. I will say, so here's what I've kind of talked about, and we'll see how much of this really comes to fruition or not. But I think both of us are very much in line in the sense that we want this podcast to go as far as we can possibly have it go, like we'd love to like, we don't have any plans to stop doing it, that's for sure, and we want to keep being creative and keep implementing new ideas and keep having cool guests, and you know, update our equipment soon enough to do a bunch more stuff with that. I would also, at LEAs for me, I don't want to speak for TJ. I would also love to parlay doing this podcast with eventually doing some national baseball stuff too, like we've had Jerry Rabis on this show. Some form of the type of setup he has now I think would be cool. He's got a team based podcast in the Red Sox that is as popular as a team podcast can be, but he's also very big nationally now and he does a bunch of different national baseball stuff. I'd love to do something like that where we've got this podcast. Hopefully we keep getting to fill in on the radio when they allow us to do so, because it's really fun and we and to have that presence. But some form of national stuff I'd love to do too, whether it's a national baseball podcast or just like national social content with you know, some of the stuff we do with players or fans. If we were going to do that on a national scale for an outlet, or if we started it on our own something like that. But like I'd love to do both, kind of like this is the last thing I'll say and I'll tr over to you. Like Brock for example, Brockyward he hosts Brockensak five days a week on Seattle Sports, but he also calls college football games for Fox like national games, so he does both. To have some double dip in baseball would be what I'd love to do. But I think we're in agreement this podcast, like we want to just keep going.
Speaker 1: Ultimately, I think it all boils back to, like you said, making this podcast as successful as possible and then seeing what opportunities like branch out because of because of this. Like for example, before we started this podcast, I thought, like me working in radio would get me opportunities to host in bigger markets, not this, Like legitimately that's what I thought, But because of the work we do here that has given open the door and given us the opportunity to do that, which is, you know, which is super cool. Like I again, I think it's like a basic simple answer, but but I pretty I just want to see where this takes us and see what doors open up after that, because like you're and I your life in my life, like post schools like change so much, and like, well we think we want to do like committing to just sort of like the only thing that remains consistent is like wanting to be around sports and wanting to be around baseball. So wherever like this takes that, like I think I'm cool with because I think it'll be fun no matter what we're doing. So it's not I don't know if it's like a simple answer, but just trying to grow our platform as big as possible and allow some opportunities, have fun, be more interactive with you guys, and finding ways to make the continue to make this fun and engaging for you guys, and fun and engaging for us. So we want to keep doing it. And hopefully the Mariners play well too so we have more motivation.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and building a whole community out of this thing has been has been really fun too, and like meeting all these different Mariners fans. But like, yeah, you said that, well, I mean, look, I've always been kind of a person that thinks out ahead and has ideas and always just trying to you know, in brainstorms and and kind of maybe is maybe I'm a day dreamer. I don't know, but like things could very well change, like like like that's what I'm talking about right now in terms of like, oh, I'd love to do that long term, like do the Mariners thing, also do some national stuff parlaid with it. But things could change, like you just said, Like I don't I don't think when we graduated school we thought we would be doing any anything other than play by play broadcasting and I also don't think when we very first started this podcast, we ever in a million years thought we'd be hosting Brock and Salk. So like it's kind of kind of a long winded way to say, like there's there's sometimes no way to know what's gonna happen out in front of you. But you know, with with the time we try to spend into making this something something cool, we hope more more interesting and exciting opportunities arise, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Right, and all based off of what we do here, I think, which is what an all time, what it all comes back.
Speaker 2: To, for sure, Like there's no plans to stop this thing, that's for sure. Like wherever wherever this road takes us, I think it always kind of will wind back up here. Now hopefully in time again we're doing more of this in person, because that'd be great, like all the in person recording.
Speaker 1: Or this person make more money and we have more time to do more things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know what you want to talk about to the original point of the question, like how we might get more time on like other radio stations or national outlets or whatever. Yeah, if the Mariners make the playoffs, because if the Mariners make the playoffs and go on a run, like people are gonna want to hear about the Mariners more so than ever before. So we haven't done this podcast while the Mariners have been in the playoffs, So I would I'd love to experience that, not just because we want to see the Mariners in the playoffs as diehard fans, but like to see what content we could do out of that, and like what podcasts look like. I'm sure we'd go to some games and vlog a playoff experience. It's like all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just to see the swell of interest would be nice.
Speaker 2: Sure, not too anyway, I mean that was a good last I mean all the questions were good. That was a good last question. It almost kind of worked as a speak your mind too, which works out. So yeah, I'd say that just about wraps up the mail bag, which has been another very good one. You guys are always good about sending in fun questions that make us think and are also you know, paired with some good Mariners questions too. It's all it's all fun, So shout out to you guys for being creative. I would say, all right, I think that just about wraps up this edition of the Marine Layer Podcast. You guys know the drill. You want to listen to the full form podcast, you can do so wherever you get your audio pods, make sure download, leave a five star review, leave a written review, or watch on YouTube. Hit that subscribe button. You're doing us a big favor. If you do like the video, drop a comment, follow us on social media Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, YouTube shorts at Marine Layer Pod, and one final time check us out on brock and Salt Friday August two, six to ten am on Seattle Sports. If time's already passed, you can go listen to the Brocken Talk podcast to hear it there too. So that's TJ. I'm Lyle. As always, we thank you guys for tuning in. We'll talk to you soon.