Speaker 1: Welcome in What's Right in the Great Episode four twenty four. This episode of What's Right when the Grid is presented to you by boost Mobile Demons. Good morning. We are on the eve of the eve of the eve of super Bowl, and big update in my world. I find out from your baby's sister. Yes, there's not a baby anymore. She's twelve. Yesterday she's like, so, when do you think we're getting to Nana's. And I'm like, what do you mean? She was like, Oh, I thought every I thought we everybody knew we're watching the super Bowl at Nana's.
Speaker 2: I take it you will, well no, I I oh, I'm not.
Speaker 1: I don't know, man, I don't know, and I do know. And this is, you know, this air little family laundry here. I think the assumption was, well, the Chiefs aren't playing, so it will be a little more relaxed, which may or may not be true. And I obviously love my mom and love my wonderful sister and her family and her kids. But watching the Super Bowl in the midst of young children running around and that and and that atmosphere does not seem like peak viewing experience. And so I don't know. I said to your mom. I was like, what what's going on with you know?
Speaker 2: My mom?
Speaker 1: And Super Bowl? She's like and your Mom's like, that's your mom talk to you? You talked to I said, it was fine, you talked to her.
Speaker 2: So I.
Speaker 1: Don't know what's going on. I don't know, but I do know that I there's all I it's just not it's a little little wrench in the gears that I didn't necessarily expect as we get ready for what should be an awesome game. And we're gonna get to that in a bit. Also, NBA trade deadline stuff, all of that coming up. But first straight to the voicemail brought to you by our friends at boost Mobile. The our long national nightmare is over. Guys. The Kawhi Leonards snub that, oh my god, had everyone pearl clutching, had people that dastardly Lebron James who stole Kawhi Leonard's All Star spot. As it turns out, Kawi Leonard's gonna be an All Star. We all knew he was always gonna be an All Star. It was all nonsense. The NFC wins the Pro Bowl, I guess should or throws a couple of touchdowns I didn't watch, and Jackson Hayes being suspended for a game for a real shove of the Wizard's mascot is really unbelievable, like he had no reason to do it. I don't understand it. The video is stunning. I don't get it. It seems like a cheap shot. The Robin Lopez famously used to fight mascots in every arena, but it was all playful and like a mutual right this Wizard's mascots is running down and Jackson Hayes just like the late Sean Taylor to an unsuspecting wide receiver coming over the middle, just body Jacks cool. I didn't get that one at all. Reminder, everybody like rate subscribe review to the show. Before we get to the NBA trade deadline, it we are at the eve of the eve of the eve of the super Bowl. Reminder, our prop show, our gambling show for the super Bowl, comes out on these channels tomorrow. But let's get to the actual game right now.
Speaker 2: So the super Bowl is a few days ago, a few days away, and we'll eventually get to your picks. But first off, we've got some questions for you, one at a time. And the first one is is what is the path to victory for each of these teams?
Speaker 1: Okay for Seattle, for both teams, I think it's actually pretty straightforward. And this isn't the only path obviously, but the simplest path for Seattle is that they are able to with their outstanding defensive line, hurry Drake may a bit get the Patriots into some third and long must pass situations where the paths were outstanding the the first two months of the year and have been a little shakier since then. Let tank Lawrence Tee off on Will Campbell, not let the Patriots stay ahead of the sticks with Romandre Stevenson, because as the Seahawks have been an elite run defense this year, and trust their great secondary and great scheme with Mike McDonald to fool a young, an excellent but a young quarterback in Drake, may put him, make him look the way he's looked a lot of this postseason so far, and be able to play somewhat on their script, hold the Patriots offense down and really see put the Pats in the by kind of man we need to be throwing and we need to not We need to have as many receivers and pass catchers out in the route as possible, which means we can't help our offensive line, we can't max protect, we can't keep people into Chip and Seattle Tea's off on Drake May. Who And I just want to because this has become quite the argument on the TV show and I don't understand why, and I just want to emphasize the following facts related to Drake May's struggles this postseason. In the last thirty years, the second biggest drop off from regular season passer rating to postseason passer rating in the last thirty years is Drake May these playoffs. In NFL history, the biggest drop off from regular season completion percentage to postseason completion percentage is Drake May these playoffs. Drake May in seventeen regular season games turned the ball over eleven times total. In three playoff games has turned the ball over five times total. Drake May in seventeen regular season games had eight fumbles, not lost, just total fumbles. Drake May in three playoff games has six fumbles. Now those regular season of postseason drop offs, some of that is a testament to how exceptional he was in the regular season. There is no doubt about that. But a guy who led the league in passer rating falling to what would an eighty five rating is stunning. A guy who led the league and he might have been second and pass rating, a guy who led the league in completion percentage falling to a completion percentage demons that is lower than Shador Sanders this season is stunning. It's fifty five percent. They've played great defenses, he has made some excellent plays, and he's been very good with his legs when he hasn't fumbled and hasn't been sacked. But when I get to the Patriots say of it, the biggest key is gonna be Drake May looking like Drake May, because he hasn't yet this postseason. And the question for Seattle is can they continue that trend? Can they keep Drake May struggling? Because folks are correct that the Patriots have played a murderer's row of defenses, But the end of that sentence is and their quarterback has looked like it has looked like he has played a murderer's row of defenses. And Seattle is either the best or the second best defense they will have faced all year. It's them or Houston, depending on who you prefer, and so it is not unfair or nitpicking to say up to this point in the playoffs, the Patriots have been winning in spite of quarterback play, which is in some ways a reason to be very optimistic about their chances in this game because they've gotten to the super Bowl without Drake playing well. But I think Seattle can present some really big troubles. Seattle since Mike McDonald got there is fifteen and two away from home, which is unreal. Seattle with Mike McDonald facing young quarterbacks is nine and one in the last four years. Quarterbacks the first time they face Mike McDonald's defense have struggled massively. So those are all things that I think Seattle is positioned well for. And I think that that Seattle defense. The only guy all year long demands who has been able to, oh, we're in a must pass situation, watch me rip it is Stafford. He's the only one. And now they Baker had an awesome game against him too, but they weren't down multiple scores where like we must pass situation. It's not to say Drake may can't do it, but they have been the league's best defense by most metrics throughout the year. So the Seahawks path is simple, that d line be what it's been all year, and that secondary be what it's been all year, and not put the game on Sam Darnold's shoulders. Okay, the Patriots path is simple as well. Drake May. Don't be afraid to run the ball. The one place Seattle's defense struggles is quarterback scrambles. Drake May has been excellent at it. Don't be afraid to tuck it and run, stay ahead of the chains. Make it so Seattle can't sell out against the pass and put Sam Darnold in a spot where the pressure ratchets up even further. Because the Patriots as good as Seattle, as well as Seattle has coached, the Patriots will not be out coached in this game. As buttoned up as Seattle is, verbel and is going to get every game management decision right. And Josh McDaniels will have his guys as prepared as can be. And I am looking closely at Nick emon Worri. They're awesome rookie safety who Mike McDonald that was his one of his you know, his second first round pick with the Seahawks in who they took to play kind of that Kyle Hamilton role that he played with Baltimore. He hurt his ankle in practice yesterday and the video of him walking into the team hotel is. What's good is it's no crutches, no boot, no nothing like that. What's bad is, uh, he's limping badly and he's a key piece. And we know Drake May has excellence in him, we just and we also know that, unlike other quarterbacks, Drake May can be having a miserable game and still make awesome plays. That Houston game he fumbled four times, and in the midst of that through some of his best passes of the season. So I don't think the Patriots can come from behind in this game. Like I'm not talking about seven nothing, but I think that they can't be behind the sticks and they can't be behind the scoreboard. But if it's close late, I think it favors New England. But I also think Seattle's the team more likely. If you're like one of these two teams is gonna have a ten point lead going into the fourth quarter, my money in that situation would be on Seattle. What are your other questions on this Who.
Speaker 2: Do you believe has the most to lose and the most to gain.
Speaker 1: I don't really look at this as a spot where anybody has a ton to lose, Like Seattle's the favorite, but there's nobody would look at this like it's a go ahead.
Speaker 2: You don't think it's seen in Seattle having more to lose, just how everybody probably expects them to win the game.
Speaker 1: Well, so listen, they are the favorite, and it does seem like a disc for only being a four and a half point favorite. They have a disproportionate amount of people picking them right. But I don't think if they lose, people will be like they choked. So like I But as far as most to gain, it is and this is cliche, I guess, but it's obvious it's the coaches and the quarterbacks. Like Vrabel winning a Super Bowl. He got to an AFC Championship game with Ryan Tannehill and the Titans, he got the number one seed a different year with Ryan Tannehill and the Titans, and his first year with the Patriots to come in and take over a four win team and win the Super Bowl. Some people would say he's just the best coach in the league, and he's already considered one of the best, so for Vrabel it would be a pretty remarkable short coaching resume. McDonald second year as a head coach, his final year as coordinator in Baltimore, they win the defensive Triple Crown. They're the one seed. Even in the playoff game they lost, they only allowed seventeen points to the Chiefs. Takes over Seattle, instantly transforms the defense. They win ten games last year and missed the playoffs despite that, and this your number one seed with a brutal schedule, and then win the Super Bowl. I don't even know what the you know, young coach comp is there. And then for the quarterbacks, if the Patriots win Demons and Drake May plays well, then absolutely no one will care that he has struggled in the three playoff games beforehand, and you will have people understandably arguing he's the best quarterback in the league. Like that's if in year two you either and we're gonna find out tonight if he wins MVP or comes in second. But if in year two you're a top two MVP finisher and then you win the Super Bowl and you play well in the Super Bowl, folks are just gonna argue, you're the best quarterback in the league, and that's fair like the I, except he didn't win it. He lost in the Super Bowl. He won MVP and uh lost in the Super Bowl in year two and then never got back to a super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And and for Darnald, he's just it's the greatest quarterback reclamation story in league history. It might already be that, but if he wins.
Speaker 2: Then, especially getting shipped off to another team and like you know, back to back and then getting all those wins, winning a Super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, this is Jets, this is his fifteen am I leaving one out Jets, Panthers, Niners, Vikings, Seahawks and so. But to your point, he goes to Minnesota a year ago is not you know, he's supposed to be compete with JJ McCarthy to be the starter. McCarthy gets hurt. They win fourteen games, they're playing for the one seed the final week of the year. He plays poorly, plays poorly in the playoff game. They don't really believe in him. Seattle then signs him. I call it a huge mistake. I say they got worse going from Gino to McDonald. Yeah, and they win fourteen games, they are the one seed win the Super Bowl. And so those are the guys who have the most on the line.
Speaker 2: What else, what is the most important matchup in this game?
Speaker 1: Will Campbell against DeMarcus Lawrence or whomever's lined up against him. Patriots rookie left tackle Will Campbell, who has struggled mightily this postseason, has given up a pressure rate of I think above fifteen percent in every game he's played, gave up a bunch of sacks first two games, didn't give up a sack in the conference championship game, but PFF still had engraded as a poor performance. That's where the game can be lost is Will Campbell. That is with and DeMarcus Lawrence. That was a hell of a signing by the Seahawks, who I think a lot of us thought, listen, this guy was a really good player. But he's a thirty three year old edge rusher coming off an injury riddled final year with Dallas and he comes to Seattle and makes the Pro Bowl. Is not an All Pro, but probably the you know, one of the most impactful guys on their d line and the veteran leader there. And I just wonder if he and Leonard Williams and the rest of that D line can put Drake May in hell throughout this game, which kind of leads to my actual prediction.
Speaker 2: So go ahead, and what is your final prediction on the game?
Speaker 1: Twenty seven to seventeen Seattle is how I see this shaking out. I think that both quarterbacks have one turnover, at least one turnover. But I think Drake, who is flirting with the Joe Burrow record of nineteen sacks taken in a postseason, he's at fifteen. He's taken five in every game that May is under constant duress that Stefan Diggs is not able to get off, that they find enough ways to get Jackson Smith and Jig but lined up in different spots to where he can get going. And there is a major Seattle defensive play, whether to stripsack or a tipped pass pick, a major Seattle defensive play that is caused by pressure on the quarterback that gets this game going in the in a bad direction for Seattle. So I will swallow the four and a half points and Seattle twenty seven New England seventeen is my official pick, all right, So that.
Speaker 2: Is gonna be weird for you without the Chiefs not peening in the Super Bowl this year. It is.
Speaker 1: I mean, so they've played in five of the last six. The one they didn't play in was Rams Bengals, and my only I have such vivid memories from the and I want to find it. I have such vivid memories from all of the Chief Super Bowls and Rams Bengals is a bit of a blur, and I'm trying except for let me see if I can find it. Oh, sorry, there it is, okay, lose. No, they lost in overtime of the AFC Championship game. Uh. And I had the only thing I really remember vividly about that game, having two bets related to Bengal sacks or Ram sacks on Joe Burrow. One was a big plus money bet on Aaron Donald over a sack and a half, and at halftime he had zero, and then the second drive of the second half he got one. I think it was this part. I might I say I remember it vividly, but I might have it wrong, so maybe I don't remember it vividly. One of those sacks where the quarterback like goes down right at the line of scrimmage. But they call it right behind, so he got a sack for it, and and the four plays later got another one and hit that, you know it within five minutes after it looking like we were in trouble, and I had I had another. Well, he ced the game on a pressure, but that wasn't a sack. I had another. I basically bet I laddered the sacks in that game, which was rams to have at least three and a half, four and a half, five and a half and six and a half sacks, and they they got von Miller. I think was that the last one. Von Miller got sack number seven on a play where there was a penalty, but it was a penalty on the Bengals, so the sacks stood and I hit all those bets, but I don't really I know that late the game obviously there was a really ticky tac defensive holding penalty. You know, I remember the game, but it is it's insane. The Chiefs have played in five of the last six. But it also will make the viewing experience very, very different. And again we'll see if you know what prop bets we have on our gambling show tomorrow. But I would like to get to some of the NBA trade deadline stuff here in a moment. But first, today's show is brought to you by representing sponsor hard Rock Bet, Florida's sportsbook. It's Big Game Week on hard Rock Bet, Seattle is a four and a half point favorite over New England. For games like this, basic bets just don't cut it. Hard Rock Bet is loaded with special props you can't find the rest of the year. Scoregami, opening kickoff, touchback, all the off the wall bets that make every snap matter. These only come around once a year, so you might as well enjoy yourself here. If you haven't signed up with a hard Rock Bet yet, there's never been a better time. New sign ups can double their winnings on their first ten bets max bet of fifty dollars. That's right. If you would have won one hundred bucks on your bet, you could make that two hundred plus. You don't want to miss hard Rock BET's seven million dollars Big Game Bonus Party. Place a ten dollars Big Game parlay and you'll get a share of seven million in bonus bets. Win or lose. Every parlay counts, and the more you place, the bigger your share. I already built mine. Now it's your turn. If you're in Florida or New Jersey, the Big Game energy doesn't just live in the app. Head to a hard rock casino in person for drawings, giveaways, and all the excitement leading up to kickoff. Big Game Week is also the best time to be a hard rock VIP. Hard Rock Bet is rolling out the red carpet for its MVPs, private jets, Star hotels, big Game tickets, and more. Other VIPs can intend to invite only watch parties with special guests, high end food, and tons of exclusive merch. If you want to get in on the action, check out the status match page at hard rock bet slash, hard rock dot Bet, pardon me hard Rock dot Bet Slash Loyalty let them know where you play for a shot at an instant upgrade to the best signature VIP program in the industry. That's hard Rock Bet. Download the hard rock Bet app and make your first deposit today. Payable and bonus bets not a cash offer offered by the Seminal Tribe of Florida. In Florida offered by Seminal hard Rock Digital LLC and all other states must be twenty one plus and physically present in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia to play terms and conditions apply. Concerned about gambling and Florida, call one eight three to three play wise. In Indiana. If you or someone you know is a gambling problem and wants help, call one eight hundred and nine with it. Gambling problem, Call one eight hundred gambler. Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, Virginia. All Right, Demons, I kind of already addressed the Drake May stuff, So let's get to some of the pre playoff narratives here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, before the playoffs, you listed out your top five storylines of the postseason, and they were, is this Josh Allen's year to break through? What if Rogers goes on a run? What if the Eagles repeat? Which second year quarterback goes on a run? Which NFC West team will you think looked like they did in the regular season? How do you think you did so far with them?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So listen, I mean the I mean, I think I think these were the storylines going in and if we address them all one by one, like is this Josh Allen's year breakthrough? That? That was the question because since they didn't, they fired the coach. I mean, was was I putting too much emphasis on this postseason for them? No? I wasn't, and we haven't on this show. Talked about the Josh Allen interview right he was on the TV show Tuesday after our.
Speaker 2: Pod was broken up about McDermott leaven the.
Speaker 1: No what I'm saying, I'm no the interview he did on First Things First and so the So I just want to say something about our spot there because I tweeted this, but I just want to spend a little more time on it. I thought it was so telling that he agreed to go on the show. So the way you know these radio row week of interviews work is you sign up with a sponsor. The sponsor, you know, books you on a bunch of shows and then you kind of rinse and repeat throughout. But when you're a guy like Josh Allen, every single show in the country wants you, so there's gonna be more requests than actual availability, and so you can pick and choose. So it would have been super easy for him to be like that guy has been giving me a hard time for years. I'm not you know, I'm not interested. And so not only did he come on the show, but how good natured he was and how self assured he was I think is not only a testament to off the field the person he is, but I truly believe there is an impact on his ability to win a championship in a positive way that we saw in those fifteen minutes we spent with him. And here's what I mean. I I have always believed that there are some guys that, just since they were little kids, get a little tight in big spots, that when they're in the backyard playing bags, if it's the game winning point, they are gonna have their worst shot of the night. And there are some folks on the opposite end of that spectrum that just always have been they are at you know, gamers, they are at their best in the biggest moments. But most people are circumstantial in that regard. Where success begets confidence, which begets more success, and early failings begets lack of confidence, self doubt, which leads to more of that. And the example I've you know, I've used in the past is one of the reasons I always felt Kobe, even though he was not when you look at the numbers, like very efficient on these shots, was never afraid to take the game winning shot. Was because he never once got nailed with that guy can't win because he won as a kid alongside check when the now by their second championship, Kobe was a huge part of it. But that first championship, Kobe was a role player. But then he was a champion and nobody could ever hang it against him. And one of the reasons I felt Peyton always struggled was because he struggled early. It became a narrative and it seemed like he got in his own head all believe you know forever that if some if, if Lebron had somehow been if they had won the title when he was a kid in twenty two in the seven finals, there's no chance he has this series against Dallas, but he wasn't yet a champion, he had left his team. There was all that on him. And then you saw it for Lebron, this playout in real time. He had that series against Dallas and then they win the title the next year, and from that moment forward, by any imaginable. He had the greatest ten year run of clutch play in the history of the league. Like it. The success there beget other success. So the reason I say all that is this, there is so much noise now and such a long year by year history of Josh coming up just short in these spots that if he didn't have that confidence, self assuredness and disposition, I think it could drown him. But he has it, and I think that his ability to say I wasn't good enough, I didn't come through, but I know I will in the future is really really positive for the Bills. And so that's you know, that's a little sidebar, but that was one of the obvious pre playoff narratives. The what if Rogers goes on a run was really just a thought exercise on what it would mean. We never thought he could. What if the Eagles repeat was also for me just a thought exercise. I never thought they could, and they end up losing in pretty bad fashion in a home playoff game. They didn't really have any business losing to a Niners team that we then saw the next week was not good. I shouldn't say not good, but they were not a contended Yeah, which second year quarterback goes on a run. We now there was gonna be one. Caleb had a shot, Caleb had like the amazing moments, but Drake obviously is the one playing in the Super Bowl. And which NFC West team will look like they did in the regular season. The answer was kind of Seattle and the Rams. The Rams looked like they did in the regular season. They just couldn't get the last stop they needed or the last conversion. In Seattle looked like the best team all year, and they were I thought it was the Rams. I was wrong. It was Seattle. So like you know, all to me, those all, uh, those all held up pretty well. Yeah, and I don't there's nothing. I guess The thing that maybe I should have incorporated more was something related to Denver, the one Seeds Denver, you know, could they showed they beat the Bills and then they were in that game with the Patriots even though they didn't have their quarterback. So maybe I was just, you know, my big swing before the year was high on the Raiders, low on the Broncos, and that was a giant double with I was just you know, I missed on both of those. All right, are you thinking about upgrading to the all new iPhone seventeen Pro, design to be the most powerful iPhone ever, But you're also thinking about the traffic on your way to the store transferring all your data. Good news, when you order a new phone online with boost Mobile, they'll send an expert to your homer work to deliver your brand new iPhone seventeen Pro and get you all set up on boost Mobile within minutes. No Hasslet all visit boostmobile dot com to get started. Delivery available for select devices purchased at boost mobile dot com. Terms do apply, all right, DeMont, Let's talk trade deadline.
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, so the Wizards are making moves. We know a couple months back they got Trey Young and they went out and got Anthony Davis. Dallas got too late first, some second rounders and a handful of players. This Luca trade just looks worse and worse by the month. Huh.
Speaker 1: So this is the final accounting of in out for the Luka trade. If we just if we don't worry about the salary filler guys like Kleiba and Markis Morris, Chris Middle like that. Ultimately, within three hundred and seventy days, they flipped Luka, Doncic, four, Max Christi, the twenty twenty six Thunder first round pick, the twenty twenty nine Lakers first round pick, and the twenty thirty Warriors first round pick which is top twenty protected and three second rounders, and they got thirty games out of Anthony Davis and no playoff run. It is an all time tragedy of a trade. So that's just that is what it is. It's an all time disaster. You got to see Ad and Kyrie play like twenty minutes together. It's just a tragedy. Now, luckily they got Cooper flag. But so for the MAVs, it is what it is. I am stunned Demons Dallas didn't get more for Anthony Davis. Yeah, and I'm stunned now that we know the Warriors, the Warriors aren't getting the honest they traded for Chris STAPs like they cut bait on that. I'm stunned the Warriors didn't trump the MAVs offer. I'm sorry the Wizard's offer. Like Anthony Davis on the Warriors. I understand he's an injury risk. Listen, he's a huge injury risk. I get it, but that's interesting now ad with Steph A defense with Draymond and Anthony Davis, Like, I can get behind that. And it is very, very odd to me that this was Anthony Davis's market. I get he's on a huge contract, and I get that he is always injured, and it's weird injuries. He barely hits his hand. It looks like torn ligaments. He has to wear goggles now forever because of the retina stuff. I know that. But man trading ad for Chris Middleton salary filler and two awful first round picks, and those are awful first. The thunder first this coming year is gonna be pick you know, twenty eight or worse or something. And a Warriors first that is top twenty protected is a disaster. And so I can't believe that's what Anthony Davis's value is. I do give the Wizard's credit for being like, screw it. We're not signing any free agents anyway. We have a good young player and Alex sar Trey Young will be here next year. I mean he's there now, but he's not playing. So the Wizard's hope is nail, you know, get lucky in the lottery this year. Add either Darren Peterson or Carlos Boozer's kid or aj debants in the top three have one of those guys play Star plus Trey plus a d and go make a run in the East. Like, I don't hate that at all. And Dallas is just built around Cooper flag and you know, Barnico Harrison from the City. All right, let's go to some of the other trade deadline news.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's been a bunch of moves since our last show of so we'll start off with the heart and trade. We know that there was a little bit of that going on with the last show, but it's official. Their odds went up in the East for the playoffs, which is weird because it's James Harden. How do we feel about James Harden on the Cavaliers.
Speaker 1: I don't. I just don't understand why they do it. I you know, I've spent a lot of time on this on Tuesday show, on the TV show. The the record of quitting and falling apart in the playoffs is unmatched by any athlete in American sports history, just is. And the understand the Clippers and Harden are playing nice and it's like, oh no, it's for both James Harden wanted to stay in LA, they didn't want to give him a contract extension, so he got out of there. And now the Calves this idea that well, the Calves, they've got to get Donovan to sign an extension this summer. And because of that, that's why you take on this risky move. What's the list of superstars that are like, man, I gotta tell you, I loved playing with James Harden, Like I got a little taste of that and I was like, sign me up for more of it. So I don't I don't understand it. Now for the Clippers, I think this is an awesome trade. You're buying low on Garland. Now. Garland is undersized and has had foot issues with both feet, and so it is a concern, don't get me wrong. But the Clippers don't have, you know, a lot of flexibility here, and so they get a lot younger and they get a scoring guard and you hope his defensive issues don't matter as much when Kawhi Leonard he beats. The Zubats are on the team like that, they can help you out. I know Zubots isn't you know some monster defensive player like they have in Cleveland, but you still hope that you can work around that, and so I like it a lot for the Clippers. I don't understand why the Cavs did it.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: We also just real quick, the Lakers actually made a move. We'll see if they make another one this one as much as you know, I I think criticize fairly Polinka's lack of action at deadlines in the past. This isn't groundbreaking. But you traded away Gabe Vincent, who has just been one of the worst players in the NBA since he got to the Lakers. I don't know why. I don't know what happened. He was good with the Heat, but with the Lakers, he is. He's played one hundred and twelve games, so he's injured. He'd been injured as well. In those one hundred and twelve games. He averages twenty minutes a game, So get dreal burn and gives you five points, one rebound, one assist on thirty eight percent from the field. Just a truly brutal production. So trading him in a second for Luke Kennard, who again is a flawed player. But I believe producers correcting it. I'm wrong I think right now he leads the NBA three point percentage, Like he's shooting almost fifty percent from three. He's always been an excellent shooter, and I just yeah, I mean, listen, forty nine point seven percent this year, forty four percent for his career. So it's not even you know something you're like, oh, it's fluky. He's an awesome shooter, and he doesn't have much playoff experience. But his playoff experience he did have prior to last year in Memphis when he was brutal, he was solid. And so this is a positive for the Lakers. Is it a needle mover? Probably not. Does it at all help your problems of being a horrific defensive team? Nah, I forget about that. But putting shooting around Luke and Lebron is never a bad idea.
Speaker 2: All right? Next, Jaron Jackson Junior traded to the Azz. You don't have to go.
Speaker 1: Through all of it, don't. The big piece in this is, let me pull up the exact picks Jazz trade details. Uh So, when they say three future first round picks, it matters what those picks are, and one of them is Utah's pick. Uh So, let me see if the NBA dot com story has it, gosh darn it, put it in the dock if you guys can find it, because trading like these are not nothing picks. Okay, here it is, I got it. So Memphis gets uh, the Lakers twenty twenty seven first rounder, not a uh, not a huge pick, the best of the following four picks. Okay, so they get whichever d which of these picks is the best twenty twenty seven, Minnesota's first that probably won't be that good, Cleveland's first that probably won't be that good, or Utah's first unprotected, so you like that. Utah is saying we expect to be competing a year from now, like because we're not gonna have our own pick, and a pretty juicy twenty thirty one Phoenix first. So they got They got the Lakers pick next year, Lakers will have Luca that won't be a great pick, the Jazz pick next year that could be good, and the Sun's pick in twenty thirty one, which again demands not to beat a dead horse. But that just objectively means Jaren Jackson June had way more, way more trade value than Anthony Davis, and that's that's surprising to me. Now he's younger, but he also has you know, health issues. Health issues sounds awful. He's not the most durable player in the league is, but not to the degree Anthony Davis's obviously, And so Utah is saying, all right, we're actually gonna start trying to win. Not right now though, because Utah. Here's what's interesting about it. Utah only keeps their pick this year if it's in the top eight, and that is going to be a little interesting for them because right now, if you look at the whole league standings, Utah is has the sixth worst record, right so they would need to stay there and not have teams jump them. However, teams ahead of them in the standings, if you will, like, with better records, that could fall beneath them, Dallas, Milwaukee, Memphis. So Memphis is you know, just got worse Dallas. I know Ad wasn't playing, but got worse Milwaukee. We'll see, you know what the what ends up happening with Giannis. So but u Jah wants to stay in that top eight and then try to start winning. But Triple j and Walker Kestler to be a big team and Laurie Markanen. And the real story here is they think Keyante George is ready to start winning games, and then you have Ace Bailey. It's like, Okay, Utah's finally gonna try to go start winning games. I don't mind that at all. And then the other ones, the Celtics flipping Simons for Vousovich. That's more a financial move than a basketball move, but is fine like it's and Simons is replaceable obviously for the Celtics.
Speaker 2: I think he's more similar to other players on the team. I think, correct, right, exactly. I think that's what I mean, like a better guy to have.
Speaker 1: Correct that the Celtics have guards that can score, and so adding a big and Vosovich I think is smart. Chris paul Is traded the Raptors, but he's gonna get cut. I wonder where he and if somebody brings him on the buy out market.
Speaker 2: Somebody gotta get Chris Paul Man. Come on, yeah, come on, guys.
Speaker 1: I totally agree. I wonder if maybe the Lakers bring him in in the buy out market. The Thunder getting Jared McCain, the TikToker is and you know, he went for a real first, not a great first, but Houston's first this year in a bunch of seconds. So he was awesome as a rookie, awesome, suffered a major injury, and now is marginalized as a rookie. He was fifteen a game on forty six percent in twenty six minutes a game. This year he's six a game on thirty nine percent. But what the thunder is saying is, you know, we hope a year from now he can get back to that form. And he's cost controlled, so you know it's fine. Kevin Herder the shooter goes to the number one seed in the East Pistons. I like that move for them, and that's about as far down the list as we're gonna go, and I it would have here Yannie is not getting traded. I don't want to spend too much time on it because by the time people listen to this it could be dated, but it would appear to me Jannie is not getting traded, which is bad, right tweet. I mean they're gonna trade him this summer, I guess. But it's just a wasted year for all parties. It's a weird spot.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Let's do some listener questions to Monsey.
Speaker 2: Uh, scruff dog, says Nick, how do you think a d will be remembered all all time? What if? Maybe all time? What if? Maybe?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean I think he'll be remembered as a Hall of Fame player whose prime was shorter than it should have been because of injuries and for a lot of reasons didn't reach his full potential because and I really like a D but his full potential was Lee MVP, and he showed that in year three and he never quite got to that level. But he was a huge piece of a champion and his story's not yet done being written. But Washington, it's hard to see him playing in super high leverage games anytime soon in Washington. All right?
Speaker 2: Next? Uh, Scott asked Nick. Would the Raptors getting Sabonis help them get to the East Finals?
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I mean, yeah. The thing is, Demanda Sabonis has been such a bad playoff player that you and he gets exploited defensively so much, you don't really think that that gets you over the top. And I know the Raptors are having a good year and Scottie Barnes having his best year. I get all that. I don't look at them as East Finals caliber.
Speaker 2: Quite next Austin ass Is the OKAC first round pick collection from the late twenty tens in early twenty twenties one of the best strategies of all time? Or was it just lucking into SGA and the good scouting department.
Speaker 1: A little bit of both? Like it was a good strategy that they also then nailed the picks on and SGA. Listen, nobody, no matter how optimistic you were about SGA after his time with the Clippers, you didn't think best player in the league MVP was what was on the board, But the thunder were on the bad end of that once when they traded away James Harden. Even as optimistic as Daryl Morey was about Harden, nobody thought multi time scoring Champ assist Champ MVP was where he was gonna be. Go to Manny real quick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Manny asked, do you think Lebron still revisits the Cavs return now that Harden is in town? Three guys who need the ball on the same team.
Speaker 1: Listen, Lebron and I have different historical opinions on guys that I think Lebron should want to play with, and guys Lebron wants to play with so I wouldn't want Lebron playing with Harden, but I don't want Lebron playing with Westbrook. So you know, I don't know how he feels about it, but Lebron hardened Donovan Mitchell feels like a weird fit like Lebron. Luca is a weird fit, and Luca's demonstrably better than Harden but similar stylistically. So I don't know what it does, but they I also don't know. I gotta see how this plays out and see what the Calvs do with Harden in the offseason that you know, is that going to be a trade piece. I really don't know, all right. Our super Bowl Prop Show coming to this all these feeds tomorrow morning, so make sure you have subscribe to the YouTube feed, to iTunes, to Spotify, get the alerts for when we go live when we post a new episode. But our super Bowl Prop Show tomorrow. Big thanks for today's show to Blue Duck and the volume, and of course our great sponsors, Hard Rock, Bet and Boost. Talk to you guys tomorrow with all our Super Bowl bets. What's right