Speaker 1: Hey, guys, ready or not, twenty twenty four is here, and we here at breaking points, are already thinking of ways we can up our game for this critical election.
Speaker 2: We rely on our premium subs to expand coverage, upgrade the studio ad staff, give you, guys, the best independent.
Speaker 3: Coverage that is possible.
Speaker 2: If you like what we're all about, it just means the absolute world to have your support.
Speaker 3: But enough with that, let's get to the show.
Speaker 4: It seems to me unfair at the political parties, who you would think should be the most important voice in campaigns are the ones that face most onerous rules and regulations on their campaign donation, and the billionaires have no regulations.
Speaker 3: Let's just have a fair fight. It's the First Amendment.
Speaker 5: And I'm proud to represent my clients and tell staff or the members themselves why we think they got it wrong.
Speaker 3: All right, welcome to Counterpoints Today.
Speaker 6: We're going to be talking about the corporate takeover of Washington. We've got an author over here, Brodie Mullins, who wrote with Luke Mullens the new book which is destroyed. That's right, put his put the actual copy up on the screen here, called The Wolves of k Street. The Secret History of How Big Money took Over Big Government were also joined by Sam Godaldig, who represents that big money taking over big government. Sam is a lobbyist here in Washington. Do you go by super lobbyists or you just go by lobbybbyist?
Speaker 3: Just we'll go by Wolf. Now, Yes, he's a He is a Wolf of K Street.
Speaker 6: And so we hope that people at the end of this program will have a full and rich understanding of how lobbying works and how legislating works in Washington based on this kind of investigation into the into the history of it.
Speaker 3: Sam quickly start with you.
Speaker 6: You actually read the book, which is unusual for you.
Speaker 3: Tell us what you thought of it. I loved it. Brody did an incredible job.
Speaker 5: He outlined the careers of three, you know, mega lobbyist people that change the field. I was a staffer on Capitol Hill when most of these lobbyists were kind of in their prime, so I didn't know them very well personally, but I definitely knew of them. They all had enormous shops and big influence, and they were cutting edge. And Brody writes about that and kind of writes about how things got off the rails for him too, So I found it really interesting.
Speaker 6: It is interesting how terribly things actually turned out in the end for almost all of the characters in this book, and also terribly for us as a country. Like nobody won here, even the winners lost. But Brody want to start with you and ask you. Let's say you've got Ukrainian oligarch or an Israeli oligarch or Russian oligarch.
Speaker 3: Although sanctions come into well.
Speaker 6: Let's go with the second. Sanctions are a problem too, that's a political problem. An oligarch is decides that he has a problem in Washington. It's always a heat and he needs this problem solved. So, knowing everything that you've learned in your couple of decades of covering Washington, influence if what would the influence pedlars in Washington tell an oligarch For an oligarch who's coming into town, here are the steps that you need to take if you want to move your position from where it is now to something more sympathetic. You get your yacht out of hawk or whatever it is that they feel like they need.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll give you two different answers.
Speaker 4: In a normal world, the oligarch would hire lobbyists Republicans and Democrats, and lobbies are really translators. I mean oligarchs or US corporation executives are running their businesses, or running their countries or running you know, how are they they make their money. They're not folcus on Washington. Policy and the policy making process here is incredibly confusing and complex. So lobbies in general are translaers. They tell people, here are the people you need to talk to, here's the story you need to tell. Here's how a bill becomes a law, or how a resolution will get passed. And it's really about educating as many of the correct people as possible to get your message out on Capitol Hill. The second answer, though, is if Donald Trump wins, the answer is that you hire Paul Manaford. Paul Mannifort would probably be the most powerful unelected person in Washington. If Donald Trump wins, major character in your book, major character in our book, and the way he's survived through so many years is making contacts with the most important people in Washington, working for President Reagan, working for President Bush. After that, and if Trump is elected, there's one person in the world on the planet who is gone to jail for Donald Trump and proven his loyalty, and that is Paul Manaford. And if Trump wins, Manaford is going to be the guy to call well Manaphord.
Speaker 7: It's a good place actually to start going back in time. Sam, I'm really curious to ask you this question, given what you just said about watching people when you were younger and you were a staffer from that generation. But I'll start here because you document in the book the fascinating story of how Manifort, Black and Stone, names that are familiar to a lot of people. Roger Stone, of course alluding to changed the game, and lobbying itself has phases, has had sort of phases throughout the last fifty years plus of American history. What changed fundamentally about lobbying, as he documented in The Wolves of Case Street.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's one fundamental change in the last fifty years, and that is that most people think of lobbying today as based on cozy relationships between lobbyists and lawmakers and campaign donations and state dinners and golf outings. And that's just not how lobbying works these days. Lobby is much more about mobilizing constituents, getting business groups, getting like minded allies out in the States to pressure members of Congress to vote one way or another. Paul Manniford and Roger Stones started to change things that way. They were campaign guys in the late nineteen seventies. They were working for Ronald Reagan. Interesting story and Ronald Reagan back then it was almost was very similar to Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: He's an outsider.
Speaker 4: Yes, people think of him as the established of Republican, which he is now, but back then he was unning against George Bush.
Speaker 3: George Bush was the Eastern Conservative.
Speaker 4: Establishment back when there were Eastern Conservatives around. He went to Yale, he had the right pedigree. He worked at the RNC, and he was supposed to win the nineteen eighty election, or at least be the Republican nominee. Reagan beat him. Then Reagan beats Carter. Reagan comes to office and there's no Republicans in town. There were no Republican lobbyists because one Democrats to control Congress for fifty years two the last set of Republican establishing figures were with the Knicks the administration, so they were out with Watergate. Paul Maniford and Roger Stone had worked for the Reagan campaign companies started saying, Hey, who can we hire the lobbyist who has access, who knows Reagan and Stone and Maniford are literally thirty and thirty one years old, basically said like, we can do this. So they started getting tons of corporate clients. And what they realized was that running a lobbying campaign is very similar running a political campaign. You're just trying to get fifty one percent of your constituents in this case Congress, to vote for what you want. And so they started running basically political campaign for big corporations.
Speaker 6: And so you also write about the Wolves of k Street element of it, like it feels like something out of a movie in the eighties, like just absolute debauchery. You go through a bunch of lawsuits that women, particularly in the office, filed against these different partners. Sounded it sounded crazy like and some of these guys just sounded like a complete cliche.
Speaker 3: I think it was was it Boggs.
Speaker 6: Who would ride in his in his top down Lamborghini or Porsche on his like you know, like rick phone, car phone.
Speaker 3: Smoking five cigars a day?
Speaker 6: Hell yeah, how did how has that changed or has it not changed? I mean, obviously it's not exactly the same, but the culture still feels.
Speaker 3: I feel like the culture has changed in Washington.
Speaker 4: That was very you know, mad men nineteen fifties mentality that we had in Washington through the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 3: I think there's that a lot of that has cleaned up. But you know, is that right when did you see? Did you see it clean up? In your arc?
Speaker 5: It had been cleaned up by the time I was on Capitol Hill as a staffer. I think, you know, the campaign finance law and the lobbying reforms after the abram Off scandal really tightened things up.
Speaker 8: It's like twenty twelve.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that sounds right. Brody Brody broke that story too.
Speaker 4: Two thousand and seven was he logo, which is the Honest Leadership and Government Reform Act or something like that, And basically what it said was lobbyists like Sam cannot buy anything of value for a staff or a member of Congress. And the idea was, let's separate the ties the coat, Let's bring these cozy relations between lawmakers and staffers right, so that lobbyists can't registered lobbyists can't bring a staffer to play golf, or can't buy dinner or go to Nationals game to sort of separate those ties. One of the results of that, unfortunately the unintended consequence with a lot of lobbyist said, well, I'm just not going to register. The rule applied to registered lobbyists. Registered lobbyist for people who spend twenty percent or more of their time actively talking to members of Congress or policymakers about legislation. And I imagine you don't spend twenty percent of your time.
Speaker 3: I don't write.
Speaker 4: So it's very easy to get around that rule by saying I don't spend twenty twenty percent of my time doing that. So lots of lobbyists just deregistered and therefore the rules potentially didn't apply to them.
Speaker 7: So Sam, then tell us what the life you know, people at home, Ryan and I've both been in Washington and around this, but for people at home, tell us what the daily life. In the daily routine in the life of a lobbyist looks like.
Speaker 5: It's not super sexy. You know, it's meeting with a lot of young staff. You know, I'm fifty one now, but you know, it's meeting with the staff to members of Congress and senators, talking to a lot of journalists, sitting in meetings with clients, their PR firms, their lawyers. You know, we've talked about like the political and industrial complex.
Speaker 3: I consider all four of us solidly in it.
Speaker 5: In a source to you guys, in a source to Brody, trying to you know, shift the debate in positive ways for clients and trying to kill things on Capitol Hill that our clients don't like the book, I agree with Brody. It does feel like an era that's long gone. The book makes it sound like it was all mad men, and you know, these these happy hours that were insane, and the misogyny, and it's I haven't seen any of that.
Speaker 3: I think it's an interesting way to make a living.
Speaker 5: You know, we get to talk to a lot of people, come up with strategies to make you know, certain policies palatable or not palatable for the members that are going to.
Speaker 3: Vote on those policies.
Speaker 5: We focus on a lot of Fortune five hundred work at my firm. We don't do FARA work, so that kind of eliminates the Ukrainian you know, oligarchs.
Speaker 8: How do you design who to represent them.
Speaker 5: I'm at an all republic firms, so for us, it's very simple. We try to take clients that we think Republicans will be aligned to want to help.
Speaker 3: What about you worse issues me personally?
Speaker 7: Like you know, when you're thinking of I'm sure you've had less than savory characters approach you in the past.
Speaker 8: I'm sure you've turned people away. What's that like for you?
Speaker 3: Less than savory characters.
Speaker 5: You kind of get a vibe pretty quick if they're trying, you know, throwing around more money than maybe you know you would normally charge. You know, sets off like a little internal red flag. People assuming that you can do things that you can't. You know, like one conversation is going to change everything. So you know, I try to stay away from that personally. You know, it's a big industry. There's a lot of obvious in town, and there's even more lawyers and more PR firms. So you know, Brody wrote about three kind of really interesting slash ethically maybe challenged you know, human beings.
Speaker 3: I don't see that every day.
Speaker 5: You know, there's been people that have been wildly successful, and you know, every election turns turns kind of the tide on which firms may or may not get hired by certain clients.
Speaker 3: But it's it's a lot of blocking and tackling.
Speaker 5: It's a lot of meetings, it's a lot of trying to figure out messages that will move you know, electorates in certain congressional districts or states to a place where the Senator, the member feels comfortable voting yes or no.
Speaker 4: One thing to add I think, you know, like I said before, a lot of people think that lobbying is not what.
Speaker 3: It is the way it exists today.
Speaker 4: You know, back in the day when you work for John Byner, I think people think that you could go into John Baynor and give a campaign checking He's going to, you know, put some provision into the law for you.
Speaker 3: And that just doesn't happen anymore.
Speaker 4: And it did happen, It absolutely did twenty thirty forty years ago, especially when we had earmarks. But it doesn't happen now. And part of it is because it's scrutiny of the media and the member of Congress exists. I mean, in my entire time of being a reporter, Like the one thing you know for sure is a member of Congress will do anything it takes to get reelected. And if they're gonna do some sweetheart deal for a lobbyist buddy and get caught.
Speaker 3: You know, they could lose their seats, so they're not going to do that. I would add the media landscape.
Speaker 5: You know, back when Bogs and Podesta and Matt of Fort were doing, what they were doing was so tight. You know, you had three major newspapers, maybe four, couple of network news shows that only ran a half hour every night. You know, now with cell phones and the Internet and all the media kind of outlets that have popped up across across DC, it's really hard to have a quiet conversation in a smoke filled back room, Like there's no secrets anymore.
Speaker 8: Nobody even smokes.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 7: You I won't reveal what you put in, you know, to get your nicotine.
Speaker 8: Fixed before we started here.
Speaker 6: But it seems like it was in and it feels like I'm curious if Washington has sort of adapted to this by concentrating power in you know, the leadership positions, Like it's so like a parasite host relationship in the in the way that, like the Congress, the administrative apparatus kind of shapes itself sometimes to the right the lobbyists, like for instance, like Brody, You've covered this. The House Financial Services Committee and the Senate Banking Committee, those would be the places that would regulate, you know, the people with lots of money. And so what ended up happening is that and this is a parasite host relationship. The members of Congress who wanted to raise money from Wall Street, you know, would go serve on these committees so that it would sort of then be subsumed into that. Like that's how the takeover ends up happening. But today, because there's so much there's so much anger at Wall Street, and there's also, like you said, there's more attention on everything right now, a lot of people are like, actually, I don't want to be on the House Financial Services Committee because it's just going to get me in trouble. It's gonna I'm going to take it's going to show that I took a million dollars from banks. Then it'll I'll take some vote, some bank will blow up, then I'm going to lose my seat. So how are people that's more on the Democratic side, it's harder, I think, to get called effort. What so what is the current state of like fear of getting called a tody to corporate America.
Speaker 5: There is an incredible amount of populism and parties right now, and there there is kind of a notion that you know, these these PAC checks that you know ran kind of politics in the nineties are a double edged sword. You know, you can get a five thousand dollars pack check and it can be turned around and used against you in a thirty second ad by your opponent or a primary opponent, you know, which you know, these are all things it didn't used to happen in the nineties. Primary opponents, you know, kind of you know, the negative ads have gotten more kind of intense.
Speaker 8: Parties had more control.
Speaker 3: Maybe, and outside groups do too.
Speaker 5: You know, you've got all these you know, these these I guess super packs that are funded by you know, maybe one or two donors that are willing to do things that maybe the party apparatus in the nineties would have never done, which is challenged a sitting member of Congress. So you know, you take a check, a PAC check, which sounds kind of benign. All it is is a corporations employees contributing to a fund to give to politicians that agree with positions the company agrees with or disagrees with and it turns that contribution into maybe a thirty second hit. So you know, you got five thousand dollars, but it did like a million dollars worth of damage to your you know, your your favorable ratings as a member of Congress.
Speaker 3: Hoping to get real around that now, or to try to duck that liability.
Speaker 5: I think, you know, hopefully, you know, your clients aren't that hot that you know that would cause a problem. And it's our job, is lobbyist, to make sure that the members that were trusting and they're trusting us to have serious conversations about how to move the ball forward in Washington on any issue, that we're not going to put them in hot water. So you know, if I'm going to sit there and talk to Congressman X and say, you know, here's a bunch of money, don't worry about it, It's all okay, and then he gets a negative ad run against him, you know that Congressman's probably never going to talk to me again.
Speaker 3: So you can't win too much. We can't do it the way those guys did it. You know, it's interesting.
Speaker 4: You know I said before that a member of Congress will do whatever it takes to get reelected. Obviously, that means you need fifty one percent of your constituents of overview.
Speaker 3: But we also need money.
Speaker 4: After Watergate, Watergate, essentially the Federal Election Commission was created and legalized political actioning committees. Companies started giving tons of money to Republicans and the Democrats and create a sort of pro business center in the US where in Congress where both Republicans and Democrats listened to corporate America and listen to their lobbies and listen to corporations in Parkers are getting this money. We rose to a point where about half members of Congress get about half of their money from corporate packs. And that made members of Congress, Republicans and Democrats more dependent on money from corporate packs. And that meant that the corporations created that allowed corporations to create a pro business working center in this country. That's now fraying because both Democrats are not taking corporate pack money and some Republicans are not taking corporate back money because.
Speaker 3: Of the issues that Sam mentioned.
Speaker 4: So now what we have is members of Congress, Republicans and Democrats getting money from small donors. Small donors tend to be more ideological, less concerned about getting things done in Washington, oftentimes trying.
Speaker 3: To blow up things in Washington.
Speaker 4: And you have members of Congress on the right and the left who are now instead of appealing to the middle and coming to these companies to get their money and see what they want, or sort of moving to the extremes, which I think has made politics more extreme on both sides.
Speaker 3: And so the other thing about corporate pack.
Speaker 4: Dollars is that while there are problems with them, we know where they're coming from, we know how they're raised, they're regulated, they're disclosed, they're capped donations from billionaires and small donors.
Speaker 3: We don't know who these people are. We don't know what they want.
Speaker 4: There is very little disclosure, and that's a bigger problem that we have in politics. And the political parties are still capped. So the super packs and billionaires are doing whatever they want with no rules and no limitations, and the political parties, who I think we'd want to be the dominant force in politics are no longer dominant force in politics, and that's a problem.
Speaker 6: It's interesting that you say that I want to hear your guys take on this, because Yeah, I grew up worrying about corporate power like that in the nineties, like that was the that was the thing the left really cared about. Then the corporate we called it the corporate media. Now it's now it's become the mainstream media.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: And you would say, look, big oil is doing this, and it's and so on and so forth, and it corporate power replaced you know, labor power, environmentalists, women's groups, other coalitions that backed the Democrats in the seventies. And so that's why we understood it in that kind of dialectic. But your point is a really fascinating one because just last week and the week before, we were covering this race in Portland, Oregon. I don't know if you guys followed this at all at sam you wouldn't have because it's a Democratic primary.
Speaker 3: Who cares. I love democratic primaries.
Speaker 6: It was an organ Oregon's third district, Parmila Giapaul's sister was running and uh in an open, open race or a bluomen Hour retired and Apac decides that it's going to you know, weigh in against Giapaul's sister. But because a pack has a kind of toxic relationship with Portland, they're not going to come in and be like, we think that Israel's war is going great, and we support this liberal democrat, because then everybody would just say, well, we're voting for Giapaul. So they created basically fake super PACs, like they just propped up brand new superpacks and dropped millions of dollars into them at the very end so that they didn't have to disclose until, you know, after the after the election had already had.
Speaker 7: It's like a domestic version of the European Center for Modern Kah And it's just a shell group that Podesta and Manaport and.
Speaker 6: So boom, they pick a member of Congress just with this, with this maneuvering.
Speaker 3: What is that? What does that do to Washington?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 6: Or is it in some ways a sideshow that it that it affects American policy towards Israel, But otherwise everything else just kind of goes on as it was, and members just know like, Okay, if I step out a line on Israel, pile sign, I could have some completely random super pack at Nukemi.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think the same thing happens with corporate America.
Speaker 4: I mean, I remember stories a decade ago when Harry Reid was running for reelection, and the pharmaceugal industry would come into the lastecond and support Harry Reid, and as a result, Harry Reid owed the pharmaceupal companies when he got back to Congress.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was Obamacare, right, cut a one hundred and fifty million dollars deal.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: More recently, I heard a great story that big tech companies, when these anti tech bills were moving through or there was a question of whether it be a Senate vote, big tech industry went out to a couple of key states, ran tons of ads and basically sent the message, we will destroy you if you vote for this bill. And there was no vote on that bill.
Speaker 6: The bitcoin folks did that in twenty twenty two. If you followed, they'd like jumped into a bunch of races.
Speaker 3: Sank free.
Speaker 4: Actually, yeah, right, you're sending a message that And I think the point here is that you know, the govern and the president and Congress are incredibly powerful, but not as powerful as big companies. At times, when big companies they come in and take people out. That means that these members of Congress, who again exist to get reelected, are going to be careful and not want to go against corporate America.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean that's incredibly interesting. One question for Sam just sort of about the vibes on Case Street right now, because I don't think mostly when you're talking to lobbyists, they're like sort of what people would imagine as the elite, coastal elite, sort of in their bubbles. You those, Sam, And last time we had you on the show, you did this fantastic report on what the differences between you know, the what is the Problem Solver's Caucus, right, the sort of elite coastal moderates and Justice Democrats and the Freedom Caucus who have more populous constituents and constituents and also actually lower secioeconomic constituents on average. I feel like you really understand populism in a way that the rest of the lobbying industry does not, even though it's in their interest to understand it.
Speaker 8: Right, So what's the vibe? Give us a vibe check? Like, what are other people missing? If anything?
Speaker 5: I think there's some that have their heads kind of stuck in the sand and think that things just can't and won't ever change. And the last time we were on we talked about, you know, the economic breakdown of some of the poorest congressional districts in the country, which surprises a lot of people. Republicans have a lot more the richest congressional districts in the country were held by Democrats. We myself and two business partners created the first minority owned bipartisan lobbying firm in the history of Washington, DC. A lot of people snickered, you know, it doesn't do fabulously well financially. I mean, the partnership's fun and we have a lot of fun working on the issues we work on, and we try to identify regressive issues, you know, whether it's you know, higher gas prices or tax on tobacco products that just are punitive to poor constituencies. And after COVID, you know, you can find a million stats that show the middle class has been completely wiped out, the wealthier getting wealthier, the poor getting poor, and there's there's no more middle class.
Speaker 3: Politicians have one job. It's just to get re elected.
Speaker 5: It's not to collect campaign checks, it's not to talk to lobbyists, it's not to do any of the things that I think a lot of people assume it is. It's to get re elected, and the best way to get re elected is take positions your constituents want you to take. So, you know, with with the elimination of the middle class and these poor constituencies looking at different parties in a way that they haven't. You know, recent polling shows Trump's doing really well with black and Hispanic voters, and I think Trump, you know, supercharged a lot of this populism and a lot of this coalition shifting. When I was on Capitol Hill, you know, the Republican orthodoxy was the social issues Second Amendment, abortion, reducing regulations and corporate taxes and fighting the trial bar with like maybe a fourth leg of the stool being you know, bash unions. Today, only one legs stand solidly. It's abortion and gun rights. And if you think that the reason Republicans are taking those positions is for campaign.
Speaker 3: Checks, I've got news for you. That's not why they do it.
Speaker 5: Mike Bloomberg spent a gazillion dollars on gun safety bills and hired lobbyists all over town, and the NRA went bankrupt, and they're still powerful because they got a lot of people that live in congressional districts that tell their members how they want them to vote.
Speaker 7: Do you think most lobbyists spend a lot of time with the type of people who would either vote for Donald Trump or Bernie Sanders.
Speaker 8: I'm shaking her head over here.
Speaker 3: Yeah I do.
Speaker 8: I mean, I think you're somewhat of an anomaly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think that a lot of a lot of people in the industry would just like to see this this time come and go, and I personally think we're stuck with this.
Speaker 4: I think something that's fascinating along the same lines is last year, I did a study at the Geral where I took the hundredths one hundred poorest districts in the country and just put whether they're represented by a Republican or Democrat. Ten years ago, sixty three out of the hundred districts were represented by Democrats. And that's what we would think poor urban districts. In the last election, it was literally the opposite. Sixty three of the one hundred were represented by Republicans, which are rural Trump districts.
Speaker 3: And the point is.
Speaker 4: That that's your Republican party. It's not the Republican party that we think of a lot of republic party right about the book is the Reagan pro business, free trade, cut, corporate tax.
Speaker 3: That party isn't really there anymore, and we're passing to see how that changes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so you've got a lot of progressive Democrats, like you said, not taking corporate pack money anymore, not as many as it should be.
Speaker 3: It's in the dozens.
Speaker 6: It's pathetic how low it is, but it's it's the trend is in that direction. And then you've got a lot of these populist Republicans as well. So how is how is corporate America adapting?
Speaker 4: I think it's I think right now. I mean the lobby so I talked to our sounds crazy, are literally scared. I mean the people who they normally go to, the people who they normally go to for help aren't there anymore.
Speaker 3: A good example is Josh Holly.
Speaker 4: Josh Holly represents Missouri, not a state that's doing well these days. He is a Republican. I'm sure he used to be a Reagan Republican. He has three bills right now with Elizabeth Warren. One would cap credit card fees, which is like a great idea if you're a Democrat.
Speaker 8: This is a Republican, weren't from a wealthy coastal state, right right.
Speaker 4: He's got a build to make it easier to join labor unions, and he's got a bill to claw back bonuses for banks and fail and these are all terrific ideas if you're a Democrat. The fact that a Republican is on those like they're probably even talk to Ellazith Warner's kind of uh, kind of amazing right now, Liz Warren. And so I mean that just shows how the party is changing. And it seems like every time a pro business Reagan iit, Senator eves like Rob Portman, you get a JD. Vance who's much more populist replacement, and the Senate and the House needed to be slowly changing that direction. Another example, a year and a half ago, there was a bill in Congress to give the Federal Trade Commission to give the federal government more money and more power to look into and block corporate mergers. This is something that Republicans would be against forever, giving the government more power to look into corporate mergers.
Speaker 3: Forty actually it was thirty nine House Republicans voted for that bill.
Speaker 4: So basically, tax big companies to give the government more power to look into corporate mergers.
Speaker 3: I mean, the political world is changing here.
Speaker 6: But here's what I mean about Washington adapting to this new system. As soon as there's this populist wave and as soon as people start to get control of their members of Congress again, like all right, now Hawley is responsive to actual Missouri Republicans.
Speaker 3: All of a sudden, lawmakers don't matter anymore.
Speaker 6: And it's just what they call the bi for uh, you know, the Senate leaders, the Senate Democratic Leader, Senate Republican Leader, House Democratic Leader, House Republican Leader, and then you've got four hundred and thirty three NPC's basically on in the House, who are just kind of told what the deal is that was struck between these big four. You and I were talking last night about how it was much more interesting how things were able to get done, say, ten years ago. But now just as people are getting a hold of the system, the system is like, actually, we're not doing it like that anymore.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: The collapse of regular order, which is you know, how a bill be comes along, you know, the Schoolhouse rock. You know, it passes the House committee, a committee, a committee, the House, the floor of the House of Representatives goes over to the Senate. Senate goes to this similar process and then if the bills are different in anyway.
Speaker 3: At all, they're cut there.
Speaker 5: You know, they call it a conference committee where the you know, there's there's compromises worked out, and then it goes to the White House for either a signature or veto. And I don't have the stats on this, but my guess is the bills that go through regular order in the last five six election cycles, you know, Congresses, this really really limited.
Speaker 3: So it used to used to be the case back.
Speaker 5: In the Podesta manifort, you know Tommy Bogg's era, where if you had the ear of an important chairman, say the Banking Committee chairman or the Appropriations Committee chairman, that chairman decided he was with you as a lobbyist and was going to insert your language and a bill. The whole system is different in that, you know, that smoke filled room or that quiet conversation was quietly inserted and voted on, and the and the members on both sides kind of were team players in a way that they just currently aren't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll let that slide.
Speaker 5: Who care, Yes, the chairman wants it, this is his, you know, the prerogative of the chairman, and you know, the leaders were inclined to help the chairman, and before you knew it, you know, your language is stuffed in an appropriations bill or some other type of vehicle that's going to become law. These days, you know, members towing the line for their chairman is I don't want to say it's not done, because it still is. But the amount of media coverage from websites or mainstream media or you know, bloggers makes everything such a transparent process. There's so much pressure on these members from different constituencies that care about different issues, where these things really get nitpicked, and it's cratered the whole kind of legislative experience in a way where they're not getting almost anything done through committees anymore. And we have these, you know, these fits where we kind of bump up against the deadline and we have to fund the federal government and you know we'll pass we call it a Christmas Tree omnibus type legislator vehicle that has you know, some stuff that Chuck Schumer wants, some stuff that Mike Johnson wants, and you know, it passes. And it's kind of how the Ukraine Israel funding kind of came to be.
Speaker 3: You know, enough people decided something.
Speaker 5: Had to happen where you know, the Big Four hash it out rather than the Foreign Affairs Committee.
Speaker 3: So if you're a lobbyist, then how do you do it?
Speaker 6: Like, how do you You just have to have somebody who knows Chuck Schumer and they'll get it in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I was gonna rewind for a quick history lesson or a reminder. So before Watergate, power was held by the government in based by three people, the President, the House Speaker, and the sena MAJORI leader. They were all guys and there are just a few lobbyists. And if they had a relationship with those one of those three or two or those three, you get anything done you want.
Speaker 3: There's less rutiny.
Speaker 4: Like you said, after Watergate, the country rebelled against that system. We elected fifty or sixty reformers who came to Washington, who who changed government power and took power from the White House and moved it to Congress and from the cougrecial leaders and push it down to committees and subcommittees and give everyone lots of power, so that tons of people were committee chairman of sub committee chairman, Tommy Boggs, one of the top lobbyists of that era, used to joke that when he went up to Capitol Hill and said, hey, mister chairman, half the people would turn around because have to eat more sub Committee chairman. And it shows a power diffuse that, as Sam is saying, has started to kind of boil back together, where power is going back to just the House lead House and Senate leaders and the White House. If Trump is elected, that's reelected, that's really going to push things back to the White House again. I mean Trump just openly doesn't do anything in Congress. He just legislates and tries to create laws through the executive branch and through executive orders. So I think that if he is re elected, we're going to go back to that era where there's just a handful of really important lobbyists. Power will be not just in the Trump administration, but really just in the White House or really just in the Oble Office. I mean, he just does things on his own, So it's really going to bring us back to an era that we sort of moved from.
Speaker 8: That brings me to a.
Speaker 7: Question I really wanted to put to both of you, based on an anecdote of just of my own. I was once in a green room with a fairly high profile media personality, and I think I was ranting about lobbying or something like that, and this person sort of took me aside and said, you know, a lot of people don't realize this, but lobbying is actually a good thing, because otherwise nobody would know what to put in these bills.
Speaker 8: The lobbyists are the.
Speaker 7: Only ones who know intimately some of these issues, because congressional staffers are twenty five, have a million things in their portfolio and have no idea what is actually going on in this district in let's say Missouri. So I think that's probably true, but also ridiculous.
Speaker 8: Defense.
Speaker 7: I still don't want to put that out to both of you to see if you have thoughts on you know, maybe people like myself Ryan rage against the industry. You know, if we got what we wanted, just eliminated at whatever, what are the downsides and that sort of hypethetical world.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: I was raised by two very liberal parents. My dad was a criminal defense attorney who represented violent criminals, and he raised me saying that you know, you may not like my clients, but their rights to be defended make this country great.
Speaker 3: And I don't know that I necessarily.
Speaker 5: Like bought it when I was a kid, but I used the arguments against this is a good rhetoric. I used it against them when I became a lobbyist, Like my clients deserve the right to complain about Congress speech, Like yeah, like they don't do everything great, and you know, to tell anyone they don't have the right to amplify their voice to complain that they're getting something wrong. And the more you get to know members of Congress, the more you know they definitely aren not exactly getting things exactly right. So you know, it's the first Amendment. And I'm proud to you know, represent my clients and tell staff or the members themselves why we think they got it wrong.
Speaker 7: And do you think they appreciate it sometimes because they genuinely are unaware of things that you bring to them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean depends if we're going in with someone that's really working hard against what we're trying to accomplish. But yeah, for the most part, you know, you know, we have a lot of clients, so you know, it's not in my business model to you know, kind of blow up one relationship over one single issue. So you know, I, you know, sometimes I go in and it's for something very good that everyone here would think it's the right thing to do, and you know, maybe the next week not.
Speaker 6: And part of the history here, and you could talk about this a little bit, is that it was deliberate in the sense that lawmaking was privatized by new Gingrich when when Gingrich took over after the ninety four wave, he got rid of what was called what was it called his Democratic Study Group.
Speaker 3: And he took book.
Speaker 6: So there was basically this entire apparatus that existed in Congress where members could and their staff could get help doing legislation from basically tech people who were just technically proficient at it. And Gingrich just took an axe to it and said, you know what, and cut, you know, cut staff salaries, cut cuts member office budgets such that it was just no longer you know, physically possible for them to write legislation like oh, that's did he have a Plan B?
Speaker 3: And yes, he did have a Plan B. It was K Street. And so then he also then.
Speaker 6: At the same time insisted that that was delayed right through the K Street project, saying you got to hire Republicans because at the time there's so many Democrats from the legacy era.
Speaker 3: It's controlling Washington.
Speaker 7: Well, ideologically it made more sense for a Republican like KNUW. Gingrich, who was limited government, pro free enterprise, pro slash pro corporate at the time, that union made a lot more sense.
Speaker 6: And so he basically privatized the function of legislating out to Case And it did become true that the only people that knew how to do it.
Speaker 3: Were Case Street.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I said before that lobbyists, good lobbies are translators. They're also subject matter experts. I mean, our federal government are all of our agencies are incredibly complicated, incredibly bureaucratic, incredibly hard understanding.
Speaker 3: The laws are written by lawyers.
Speaker 4: Who are, you know, not the easiest people that understand sometimes, so creating laws and legilation is very difficult.
Speaker 3: This subject matter is very difficult. You're regulating industries.
Speaker 4: That have incredibly complicated business models and plans, so you want experts writing the law. Unfortunately, the people who are working on working in commerce are really twenty five or thirty five year old at most. You know, they're not expert experts. And it's not the it's not their fault. It's just that they haven't had that experience. So therefore, as you say, lobbyies sort of become the experts. I know for myself as a reporter, I rely on lobbyists lots of times to understand rules and regulations because they used to work at the EPA and the Air and un or subcommittee where they wrote the law, and it could explain to me why this law of provision is the way it is or isn't. The issue is that, in fact, going back to Framer, of the country knew that the government wasn't going to create rules of regulations in a vacuum. They knew there'd be these interest groups lobbyists, they call them factions back then. What they thought, though, is that to be sort of a fair fight, it'd be labor unions against environmental groups against corporate lobbyists. And what we've seen in the last ten years or twenty years is that it's really just the corporate lobby ot there. Unions have been decimated. Ralph Nader used to be incredibly influential. He doesn't exist anymore public although.
Speaker 6: You try to get him on, he doesn't do zoom anymore. He said he would do it by phone. Oh interesting, he said, didn't want to zoom.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But the point is I did talk to him. The point is in this era he's a big character in your book. That's is Yeah, whis why I mentioned when reached.
Speaker 4: Down to well to roll back on that in the nineteen seventies and nineteen sixties, Ralph Nader might have been the most influential person In watching Ralph Nader, people.
Speaker 3: May not realize that how powerful. It's kind of unthinkable exactly. That's kind of the point that.
Speaker 6: Is seen in mad Men. Have you seen I saw it? There was a scene in Madmen where there's a corporation has a problem. In terms of the problem is Ralph Nader? Is there anything you guys they're going to all their powerful firms working for him?
Speaker 3: Is there anything you can do about Ralph there? And they're like, no, no, there is not.
Speaker 4: Well, Ralph Nader took on General Motors back when what was good for GM is good for the country, and he took them on and won on auto safety regulation, which shows one how much power and influence he had.
Speaker 3: But also companies.
Speaker 4: Didn't have any influence until the nineteen seventies, nineteen eighties, and so today the problem is, you know, there's nothing inherently wrong or illegal with lobbyists. As you say, lobbyists have the right to petition their government. They have the right to raise money and give campaand donations. The problem is that lobby is the only voice being heard because the other side just doesn't have the resources that they used to have. So so, in fact, for a book, we spoke to a professor who had done a study and he talked to seventy corporate lobbyists and said, hey, who is the number one person you're fighting against?
Speaker 3: And not one of them's at a labor union. Some companies are not.
Speaker 4: The other side of company fights isn't labor union, other corporate lobbist, right, It's company against companies these days.
Speaker 6: And so and sometimes it seems like companies are just or going back to the parasite host UH situation. Sometimes you'll have people in Washington just kind of create feels like, create problems for corporations who then have to then come in and pay lobbyists who are their friends to solve those problems. Very much like how the mob would go to UH, you know, to a small business right and be like, you know, would you like to put me on retainer to make sure your your window doesn't get smashed?
Speaker 8: Would you like me to advertise in axios for a week?
Speaker 3: And they're like, what you're talking about?
Speaker 6: There's no crime here my windows.
Speaker 5: I've never I've never extorted anyone, but uh, you bring up a disturb and maybe bring up point about axios right, Like it's like back in the day, back in the Tommy bogs mana fort era. You know, our job was to you know, transcribe and track a mundane, boring committee hearing right well now beg of big of is a bloomberg function of their news outlet or political pro or action shows or punch bowl.
Speaker 3: They performed these services more and more.
Speaker 5: You know, we're competing with media for jobs that used to be our jobs, like those you know from south Park, those our gerbs, you know, thought Brody says in the book, I found the most interesting parts of the book, the media parts.
Speaker 3: Roll Call was this sleepy Uh did you write for role Call? Never did no, but I seem all the time, you know, we wrote for Politico Political it was two days a week roll Call.
Speaker 5: And then in your book, and like the fifth chapter you talk about how they went to five days a week and ultimately seven days a week, not because they had so much content, they had advertising dollars. So you know, like I listened to these conversations and you go on rants about lobbyists and like I feel this like it's all of us here, like you know, like we're journals. We live in this political industrial complex where the media outlets or have a vested interest in taking the job that you know some kid used to do at a lobbying firm and transcribing a hearing transcript and now you know, one click of the button and Bloomberg or political pro or punch Bowler doing it. And you know, no one is is hitting this twenty percent threshold, so no one's registered. And you know, I just though you are registered, I am, and you got all that. You have a lot of data, I do. Well, we can put this next chart up on this.
Speaker 3: No data on any of you three?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 7: Well, no, I mean I think it's interesting because not you probably rub Ebbels with a lot of people who don't register. So here's Sam twenty eighteen in the top I think you were the top ten that year. Of lobby registered lobbyists. It's actually incorrect to say lobbyists, because there are a whole lot of people doing a whole lot of lobbying without registering in political contributions. This is just some general stuff. On the left and the right of the screen you see total spending a lobbyists adjusted for inflation over time. And then on the right, although it only starts in I think nineteen ninety eight, on the right you see in twenty twenty three, So last year the biggest spenders US Chamber of Commerce, National Association of Realtors, American Hospital Association, Blue Cross, Blue Shield. Down to the bottom you get Amazon Business Roundtable, Meta, et cetera. But I mean saying that's quarter of a million, two hundred and forty six thousand dollars in contributions that year twenty eighteen, actually less than.
Speaker 8: I would have thought. And you see C. Boyd and Gray, big conservative lobbyists.
Speaker 3: I think it used to be at the top, weren't you. There was There was a time when I was more number one, or shoot.
Speaker 7: I just met all of the because you see the difference between Boyd and Gray and the person on underneath him huge, So even the second highest person here. We're talking about five hundred thousand dollars. That's actually less than I would have expected.
Speaker 6: Because it's interesting because that's nothing for like an I e. In a in a campaign now like independent expenditure, a super pack.
Speaker 3: That's all a spread out you know, you can only give right back around.
Speaker 6: That's seven hundred thousand spread out among lots of members they'll come in with.
Speaker 3: There used to be a cap. Some the Supreme Court cut rid of.
Speaker 6: The cap, I think, but what's not a cap on individual cap? Supreme Court Supreme Court cut rid of the there was an overall cap of what you could give, not anymore.
Speaker 8: To same' spoint.
Speaker 7: What's not included in that is all the money that the Chamber and Business Roundtable and Amazon spent on Politico and axios and events and all kinds of stuff like that.
Speaker 8: There's different things happening under the curtain.
Speaker 6: One quick story on that, and I want to hear your response to this. I was told that, and I think this is in my second book, that Pelosi, before she would take a meeting with a trade group, trade association, a lobbyist group basically would ask to see Politico, the Hill and Roll Call, which are the three print publications that are circulated free on Capitol Hill, And she'd go through and look to see if they had full page ads. Those are ten twenty thousand dollars a pop. And if they had in each one, then that was a proxy kind of for how much water they're drawing in town, Like how much?
Speaker 3: How seriously do I need to take these people based.
Speaker 6: On how much they're going to be spending in Town's like, ooh, full page ads in every single one. But it doesn't show up on Open Seat, right, But that wouldn't show up as although it might if they had to spend it through some lobby shot anyway, any event, how does the media play it a part in lobbying today in the way that it didn't before.
Speaker 4: It's a great question. So members of Congress get their information in various ways. You can get it from your staffer, you can get it from a lobbyist, or you get it from the media. And for the last few decades, members of Congress and staff you read these publications.
Speaker 3: Where you know, I work for many of them. I work for Congress DAYLA, work for Roll Call.
Speaker 4: There's also political and punch Ble, and members of Congress hit staff need to read these publications and know what's going on Capitol Hill. But the reporters are also writing stories about you know this this credit card cap bill, how is it doing? How many sponsor does it have? Is it getting committee hearing? Does it have momentum? Does it not have momentum? And lobbyists and interest groups have realized if you can sort of lobby the reporters, if you can influence those stories, it's another way of getting to a member of Congress, either through ads or actually talking to reporters. So one of our main characters a guy named Jim Kordovic, who realized this first that if you can go and be friends with the reporters who are writing the stories for Capitol Hill and get your client's message into one of those stories. You know, this credit card bill has got a lot of momentum.
Speaker 3: It's going to pass. You should jump on board. Do you want to be with the winner?
Speaker 4: Or conversely, you know no one's going to you know this Bilitic gate killed and subcommittee, doesn't you know, why waste your time becoming a co sponsor of the bbilicying to go anyway? They would sort of try to influence these stories to create momentum for bills or against bills, and he was sort of a genius at him talk about how he did that, because it's kind of a Washington classic Washington. Until recently, he was not registered as a lobbyist, but he would throw parties.
Speaker 3: He'd throw big parties in Washington.
Speaker 4: He'd invite reporters, he'd invite members of Congress, he'd invite lobbies, kind of whoever is like a boldface name in DC. And then he would send his guest list to Axio sort of punch hol didn't exist back then, or a playbook, and people would write about his story to sort of further elevate the mystique about these great parties would have so everyone in Washington, all the players wanted to go to these parties, and he would sort of use them for his business. One he would tell clients, Hey, look at all these important people I know. But two, he'd sort of befriend reporters who we can then go to and say like, hey, you know this bill is coming up. You know you should write about it or not write about it, or here's you know. He could sort of create relationship with reporters to then try to pitch his client's interests to get to the eyeballs and members of Congress.
Speaker 7: So we'll add this in post. But I had to mention this was a couple of weeks ago. I got the act Yes morning newsletter, so it's May tenth, and at the top I always look at who's presenting it that day, because it's their corporate sponsor. It's presented by BP. And then down the second item, not even like down far at number ten. The second item was called Trump's Big Oil bargain, and it was basically criticizing Donal Trump for making a bargain with big oil in a newsletter that was clearly a bargain between the media outlet and big oil. And that happens literally every day if you read Playbook or punch Bowl or whatever. But in that sense, I mean, it's so egregious. I think if you had done that, I don't know, twenty years ago, it would have been a lot people would have been a lot more grossed out by it.
Speaker 8: It seems like that's true.
Speaker 4: I remember twenty years ago or so, maybe fifteen years ago, the Washington Post had this idea of having salon dinners where you would invite a member of Congress, I think, and have sponsors paid for it.
Speaker 3: And people got fired over that.
Speaker 4: I mean they were a laugh out of town and everyone said, this is a horrible idea.
Speaker 3: How this is pay to play?
Speaker 6: Now everyone does it, right, It's the thing that funds what semaphore punchble. Actually, like the main thing that's funny them is these corporate events, right and.
Speaker 4: The wo we have big conferences all the time where people pay to sponsor the events.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it's part of the business durals and model. Now.
Speaker 5: I remember I was getting those types of emails from these media outlets and.
Speaker 3: I tried to blow one up.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 5: I did so I would respond like, if I pay this much, can I sit next to whoever the post is hosting and will they absolutely vote yes? Like just like you know, like kind of like you know, like I don't know, like the jerky boys, I like get them in a frank phone call. So, and I mean emailing with like a serious person and she's not getting my sarcasm.
Speaker 3: She's like ironyar at all?
Speaker 5: Right, So I'm like, how much do I need to get a yes voted? You know, like just back and forth and you know before after a while she realized I was just you know, goof and on her or whatever. So you know, she goes dark and I sent the emails to you guys. I mean, like, it's not just the lobby, it's this whole city. It's like everyone in it.
Speaker 6: You weren't offended at the behavior, You were offended at the competition.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm offended at the moral preenening over lobbyists are bad while I'm being asked to give money to a salon dinner that's not reportable, non non disclosed, so someone else can stuff money in their pockets and accuse lobbyists of being crooked. Like, at least we register, at least our data is out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's all I'm saying.
Speaker 4: You put up a stat earlier from Open Secrets. There's thirteen thousand registered lobbists in DC. There's five or six million people who live in the Washington, DC area. And if you're not working for a school or a bus driver, or work in retail or maybe university or drinals, like, you're here to affect policy and legislation. And what Stam's point is that he needs to register and disclose activities and there's millions of people who don't, and you know, and that's that's not right.
Speaker 7: Well, although there was a point made earlier that you know, the requirements to register created in a sense, more corruption and because people were just not registering. So I pose this question to both of you, what, if anything, do you think, based on your experience reporting this living that needs to change, either in media or in lobbying or in the entire political industrial complex to make the system more fair.
Speaker 4: So I don't think we can regulate and we shouldn't regulate speech or money. I think we should do things to make things more fair, and I think ultimately have more disclosure. Again, in your stats that you put up a few minutes ago, it showed in two thousand and seven, how are.
Speaker 3: Many lobbyists are were at that moment when we.
Speaker 4: Passed the law to ban gift giving by members of Congress and lobbyists, the number of lobbyists every year went down, you know, and that's crazy. If anyone who thinks there are fewer lobbyists today than there were two and seven, you know, it's crazy. So people are just gaming the system. So there should be disclosure of everyone who's trying to influence legislation.
Speaker 3: I think that's.
Speaker 4: Totally fine, and then the American publicans say I like that or I don't like that, and use their vote. I think the same thing for money, it seems to me un fair at the political parties, who you would think should be the most important voice in campaigns are the ones that face most onerous rules and regulations on their campaign donations. And the billionaires have no regulations. We don't even know who they are, what they want, and they're spending money. However, you mentioned the example in Oregon. They're doing whatever they want and we don't know what they're doing. It seems like let's just have a fair fight.
Speaker 8: What they're doing with the Washington Post, for example.
Speaker 9: The Salon dinners or well, no, what Jeff Bezos billionaires, I mean, we have to take the Posts word for it, or Access puts at the bottom of their letters that you know, their partners don't affect the editorial content, so you just have to take.
Speaker 8: Their word for it.
Speaker 6: Right, How would public financing change Washington? So there was a bill by John Sarbanes, who actually this is quite quite ironic, and we covered this briefly. John Sarbanes, the son of Paul Sarbines, fought his entire career in Congress for public financing and again dark money in Washington. That was his one issue. He retired this year. He was replaced by a woman who won because she got millions of dollars dark.
Speaker 3: Money contributions from I mean, there's no doubt done.
Speaker 4: If you remove money from the system, the system will be better.
Speaker 3: I just don't think you can remove money from it.
Speaker 6: Well, I don't think you can remove money, but on the equalizing front, because like the Supreme Court's clear, they're going to let the billionaires and others do whatever they want. But his bill would have said the federal government will match, and they were gonna He had a clever way that corporations who got fined by the SEC that money would go into a fund that would then so it.
Speaker 3: Is corporate funded. So corporate it is corporate funded, yes.
Speaker 8: And putting more corporate greed in policy.
Speaker 5: It would CB is better at getting those those fees or those those penalties than maybe the SEC.
Speaker 3: So let's add them both in there. But it would match.
Speaker 6: Let's say if you gave ten dollars would match at six to one, and so it would it would try to level the playing field and get regular people the chance to come in uh and balance out.
Speaker 5: Though I would just say, as like a as a Republican staffer, that would have been like, you know, my hair would have been on fire. The idea of public financing, what a waste of taxpayer dollars for campaign ads that annoy almost every constituent.
Speaker 3: Like you know, but.
Speaker 5: The longer you're here and you're seeing the bedfellows change rapidly, like we are getting, Republicans are getting outraised like three four, five to one to Democrats.
Speaker 8: These days, people don't realize that.
Speaker 3: Wasn't the case. And you know, I could see me like in swing districts.
Speaker 5: All the billionaires in this country minus the two that are always mentioned are Democrats, and they're giving heavily to Democrats, you know, like this whole fact check then they're all Democrats.
Speaker 3: That sounds like a vibe.
Speaker 7: Well, but the thing is that the two that's as Sam said that, like we just saw Sea Boyd and Gray right up there. So see Boyd and Gray is just you know, quadrupling what the other guys were given, and.
Speaker 8: He was, but he's like the Republicans that.
Speaker 5: Way, there are a lot of wealthy Democrats increasingly that are giving their party, like you know, and I guess I'm not complaining about it. I'm just saying, like you could see Republicans move to a place where, you know, if they keep getting out spent three four, five to one, maybe public finances. You know, it's just like, you know, like I watched the statistics on Hispanic voters with Trump, and it's like, you know, maybe you know, Democrats might want to close the border soon if it keeps going in this direction, like you know, like you can't predict everything, and what's true today might not be true tomorrow. And when I was a Hill staffer, I thought we'd have a funding advantage as long as the day was long. You know, we're never going to lose this corporate America loves us, you know, change.
Speaker 6: And that's the end of Brody's books. Yeah, you watched it unravel. How did it change? How did how did we get to a place where Republicans are no longer necessarily the place that's going to get the corporate contributions.
Speaker 3: I think Trump really sped it up in sixteen.
Speaker 5: You know, in one election he knocked off the Bush dynasty and the Clinton dynasty without spending a.
Speaker 8: Dollar like two birds one stone, right, Like.
Speaker 5: Didn't spend any of his own money either, you know, and they he was outspent probably one hundred to one in that cycle, I'm sure. And then certainly, you know, midway through Trump's term, corporate America started shifting on him. You know, they were not you know, full throated supportive of Trump. I think that's probably when, like, you know, that was the tipping point when Dems really kind of started exaggerating advantage.
Speaker 6: Exact same time he's sending trillions corporate tax cuts through i mean, through Paul Ryan, But how did you watch this happen? Both things happened at the same time. What was it like to watch that where on the one hand, your your your clients are getting the biggest gift they've gotten in decades, right, and at the same time they're so furious that the people giving them the gift.
Speaker 5: The clients are furious at the person giving them the gift, and the person giving them the gift is furious right back.
Speaker 3: And I think that was a little different. I feel like Trump just wanted to win.
Speaker 4: He didn't care what it was at the time, for sure, Ryan had teed up this big win and he just took it.
Speaker 3: I agree with that.
Speaker 4: And what's really interesting is if he wins most that tax cut is up in the in the.
Speaker 3: Early next year, that would be up to him.
Speaker 4: That tax cut expires because they did it through reconciliation. Now the most corporate tax doesn't expire, but anyway, the whole ball of wax will be up for renewal.
Speaker 7: And he's already allegedly promising, according to some reports, that he'd bring back a big tax cut.
Speaker 8: For the for the rich.
Speaker 4: So that'll be interesting to see what actually happens because the biggest beneficiary, one point three trillion dollars of that was for corporate America. And is Donald Trump going to renew that or does he take some of that and give it to his consistent constituents, which he could, you know, the sort of more blue collar workers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, the shifting demographics that the party is taking more seriously right now, would lead you to believe that this Republican Party in twenty twenty five, whatever comes our way with the election in the Senate, it would not be the same as what twenty seventeen brought U.
Speaker 4: Yes, which goes right to the Chamber of Commerce that the Ways and Means Republican Chairman is launching an investigation into the Chamber of Commerce. The Chamber of Commerce will be the lead lobbyist for this corporate tax cut bill. It's being written by the Ways It Means Chairman. I mean, the world is upside down. But how does that dynamic work out?
Speaker 7: That fascinating potentially the anti swamp ways and means Chairman, because there's a lot of depending on who's elected. I mean, you hear a lot of that on the right these days, and maybe not always, you know, walking the talk or however the phrases on that question, the one this is maybe we'll see how you guys want to answer this. Is there anyone you could say, is like the most corrupt member of Congress?
Speaker 8: Is there anyone?
Speaker 7: I mean, Bob Menendez is a real candidate. Is there anyone or maybe even the most corrupt member of the political industrial complex? Are there standouts right now?
Speaker 3: It's a hard question.
Speaker 8: Some people would default to Hunter.
Speaker 7: Biden, probably James Biden, Frank Biden, we go down the list side.
Speaker 4: I always felt in my time Chattel Hill and lobbying that most people in Washington are good people here to do the right thing, hard workers, but it's always one percent. There was one percent of people who are corrupt and problematic, and that means that as a reporter, there's there's five point.
Speaker 3: Three five members of Congress. You gotta go find them.
Speaker 4: They're the bad guys, and in lobbying sort of the same way. But who the individuals are I don't know. I think right now we have probably five point three five scandals going on right now with members of Congress, so some of those are.
Speaker 3: Already out there.
Speaker 6: What's post cong life like now for lawmakers compared to before? Like in the past, you do your ten twenty years right, you go out, you set up a shingle, you get or you get hired by a big firm, and you know lots of people in Washington, so that's why you're valuable. There seems to be so much more turnover now there's a ton more turnover. That Like, if I were a seventy year old member of Congress retiring right now, they might not know ninety percent of the people in the House, and so then that makes them worthless.
Speaker 5: And the staff too. I mean, it's I guess i'd call it a brain drain. I don't know what else you call it. You know, twenty years ago, I would assume the average term of a member in a safe district that we're you know, not concerned about getting beat would have been ten terms.
Speaker 3: You know, twenty years.
Speaker 5: I bet it's half that now, and the staff aren't staying is long, so it's become it's to your point about educating people. You know, the members don't stay as long, the staff don't stay as long, and they're still dealing with really complex issues that you know, you need a lot of time under your belt to become an expert on some of these really arcane issues.
Speaker 3: And you know, when we bring you know, a client in.
Speaker 5: That can speak articulately about what a regulation means and if it's written this way, it means this, or that it's generally helpful.
Speaker 3: I really don't see anything wrong with it except the other sides not in there.
Speaker 6: Like you know, if if an articulate, smart, well briefed person come in and talk to a twenty three year old who got there a year ago has no idea what they're doing, by the end of the meeting, they were like, yes, guy, sounds.
Speaker 7: Right, Ryan was was a crunchy weed lobbyist back in the early oughts, and that was you know at the time. Now just John bayn Er other people are like have lobbied on behalf of cannabis. It's become a big business we've talked about last week, But at the time that was not a perspective that was well represented.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but also everybody knows what weed is and so it's not the kind of thing and you can kind of snow anybody on.
Speaker 5: I just don't agree that the other side doesn't have a voice. I mean, there's so much money in politics.
Speaker 3: Because if it's another corporation they do yeah.
Speaker 5: Or you know, there's a million interest groups and think tanks that have positions. I don't know why they take them, but they do. I assume they're well funded. I assume there's someone out there that cares. And look, you know, every time a Republican tries to do something, there's a Democrat sitting on the other side of the aisle that doesn't want them to do it.
Speaker 7: And even on these like little municipal issues that end up in the omnibus bills. We were talking about earmarks earlier, and obviously that's different now, But there are all these things that are crammed in, like Ted Cruz just got a big win in this direct flight from Houston to DCA. Things like that, not even necessarily partisan, but from a business perspective, you have one airline competing with another, like those little types of things.
Speaker 5: If it was a big win, then someone was opposed, and I'm sure they were well funded. Yeah, yeah, that's you know, whoever was on the other side was probably working hard to make sure Ted Cruz didn't win. You know, with a fifty to fifty or fifty one to forty nine Senate and a whatever three vote margin in the House, like you know, it's it's just incredibly difficult to win at all. And you know, that's kind of back to your book. The environment that those three lobbyists were dealing with. They had forty fifty seventy seat margins in the Democratic you know, kind of controlled house. I think it had been forty years of kind of solid Democratic control. It was just this environment, with the media landscape the way it is, that the margins in the House, in the Senate the way they are, it's.
Speaker 3: Very hard to accomplish a lot.
Speaker 5: And you know, the executive orders, whether your form or against them, are great for four years, but you're four years away from them all being completely unrung when the opposing party wins. So you know, if Trump wins, you know, it'll take one hundred days and I'll have you know, executive orders, you know, all day long, every day and undo everything Biden accomplished.
Speaker 3: And that's no way to run a country either.
Speaker 5: So you know, getting back to legislating probably would be a better solution for the country.
Speaker 8: More staff, higher paid staff. Yeah, but well, I mean really though.
Speaker 6: Yeah, actually, that is my populist argument that I don't think would be I'm glad we agree on this. I don't It wouldn't be popular. It would be hard to sell to the public. But I think if you never made it past them.
Speaker 4: But if you had a million dollar salaries for members of Congress and their staff, would be a better place the public.
Speaker 6: The way to pitch it to the public, we look, you get what you pay for. If you insist on paying these kids thirty thousand dollars a year and never giving Members of Congress arrays and having them, you know, they have to have a place in DC and a place back home, then you're you're gonna get what you pay for. You're not gonna get anything out of them. The people who pay them are the ones that are gonna get something.
Speaker 3: So yes, exactly, and.
Speaker 4: All the same time we haven't spoken about is sort of race and socioeconomic background. The people who can move to Washington and live on a twenty five or thirty five thousand dollar year salary. People have money from their parents or don't have, you know, debts to pay, or don't have children, or don't have other expenses. So we're setting just a certain amount of people to Washington to run the government.
Speaker 3: Would not agree more with this.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and even they their parents at some point are going to run out of being able to pay for them. So then they hit they have a kid, and now then the schools are so terrible around Capitol Hill that like there's a joke on Capitol Hill that as soon as a staffer has a kid, it's like up, they're gonna start.
Speaker 3: They're gonna go downtown. That's what it's called around here.
Speaker 6: Go downtown and they're gonna quadruple their salary and move to the suburb.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know that.
Speaker 5: You know, Look, there's good lobbyists and bad lobbyists and scessful ones and unsuccessful ones. It's it's not like, you know, like you just leave Capitol Hill if you're a staffer and you do really well in the lobbying sector. It's it's a different way to make a living. You know, not everyone's good at it. So I feel like that's a bit of a generalization, but I do think that diversity when it comes to class is a tremendous problem in this country. Yeah, you know, when I moved here, I was twenty two years old, probably had a little backstop with my parents if I you know, didn't have a job right away and knew that I could have my rent paid if for some reason I couldn't do it on my own.
Speaker 3: No college debt, no college debt, and not much to speak of.
Speaker 5: And you know a lot of kids just like me show up here, and there's kids that don't look like us that wind up in Washington and struggle with you know, getting enough dress shirts to wear under a suit, or you know, not really knowing how to hold a fork and knife in a way that you know is socially acceptable at a cocktail party, and the city not lobbying the city, you know, makes them feel unwelcome.
Speaker 3: And then you.
Speaker 5: Know, we lack the diversity of very rural, kind of poor you know, kids that tried to come to Washington because they just gave up on it, Black and Hispanic kids that come from situations where they can't have a backstop on rent and they kind of cycle out and Washington looks exactly like us, and it's just like.
Speaker 3: Here we all are.
Speaker 5: And you know, I'm proud of how I made it in this city. You know, I think I did it by my bootstraps, but you know, stepped over a bunch.
Speaker 3: Of kids that gave up too soon.
Speaker 5: And it's a lack of perspective, a lack of diversity that you know. Now we're all in our forties and fifties and it's our turn and and there's nothing to see, like just like, you know, we've all convinced ourselves that, you know, we got here and everyone else can too. And I'm not sure that's right. And it's it's not it's not just a race thing. It's a class thing. It's class and I.
Speaker 3: Think we need to do better. Well said, before I let you go.
Speaker 6: We're talking about form members of Congress who move on. One of the most successful is your boss John Bayner, maybe the most successful, and he took a completely different path.
Speaker 3: She's like, I'm just going to work with the weed people.
Speaker 8: He blazed a trail, blazed the trail.
Speaker 3: Absolutely genius move.
Speaker 6: But you have a fun story about his his transition from.
Speaker 3: Having an entire kind.
Speaker 6: Of suite of assistance as the Speaker of the House too not becoming that can you allow to tell me?
Speaker 5: Yeah, he never confirmed this to me, so it's hearsay, but I have pretty good So he was the Speaker of the House and after he stepped down from from the role. Uh, he lost his secret service detail fairly quickly after he stepped down, and he was learning about Uber. Didn't didn't quite know exactly what it was. He had secret service taking him everywhere for four years. So a friend puts Uber on his former another former member I think, put put Uber on his phone in the app and he does his first Uber.
Speaker 3: He's proud of himself that you know.
Speaker 5: The Uber comes and there's a young woman in the back seat and he's doesn't confused, why are you here?
Speaker 8: And oh it was when you were it was uberpool.
Speaker 5: And then then the uber picked someone else up, and you know, Bayner's like, no, we're going that way.
Speaker 3: It's like, well, going to pick up Johnny or whatever over here.
Speaker 5: So, you know, Bayner's riding in the back of a you know, Toyota Corolla or something with two millennials and they're like, you look.
Speaker 3: Like John Banner. Yess I am.
Speaker 8: I hope that welled, but.
Speaker 3: Probably wanting to smoke. I don't know if it did. And uh so he's complaining, you know what.
Speaker 5: I'm running around with, you know, twenty three year old kids in an uber what's going on? And they quickly figured out it was the toggle button was selected to uberpool. So I think he took two or three rides with uberpool before he figured it out.
Speaker 6: They kept winding up in Arlington on the way back to Capital America.
Speaker 7: Any final thoughts, just when you guys have both been very generous with your time, but anything we haven't mentioned you think might be helpful for you know, I.
Speaker 3: Just feel like this period we're living in is fascinating.
Speaker 4: You know, when my brother first started writing this book in twenty seventeen is about the rise of corporate power, and uh, when you're wrapping it up.
Speaker 3: Last year we realized.
Speaker 4: Oh crap, like this air of corporate power may be coming to an end, and this area that we're moving into now, with both Republicans and Democrats going after big business, going after corporations is just fascinating. A normal world corporations and corporate lobbyists like Sam would see here and say like, oh, all we need to do is elect a Republican president. Everything go back to normal. But if Donald Trump wins, it's still the world. This world's still upside down. So it's just a fascinating time to be around.
Speaker 3: Them and follow this. People are pissed. Oh yeah, Well.
Speaker 7: The book is called The Wolves of k Street. This is Ryan's copy. You can't see the cover because he took it in a lazy river. That's exactly what happened. If you're wondering why he has a new computer, he left it in the rain. All kinds of like water based crises in your life recently, Ryan, But you've both have been so dents as your time and so candid.
Speaker 8: We really appreciate you stopping by the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Thanks, excellent book. Can't can't recommend it enough. The Wolves of k Street.
Speaker 7: Thank you, all right, Ryan, I thought that was a lot of fun and super interesting and also importantly not the type of conversation that you hear outside independent media and maybe even outside the show, because it's one of those relationships. We're talking about media a lot. It's one of those relationships that a lot of outlets are not willing to burn. It's not something it condemns them. In many cases, they're not willing to dive too deeply into it. So I thought it was really fascinating, not the type of thing you see every day.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I hope people like it because it's hard for me to tell because since I've been immersed in this for twenty years or something like, it's sort of like water and the corruption just washes around you. But I think it's important for people to understand, like how how the system is structured now, because if you want to change it, you got to understand what it's like now. The corporate money and big money is so good at adapting and finding new ways of you know, pushing its message that it's something you have to constantly beyond guard. For like with the example of how now you got Josh Holly, I was pushing legislation like a Democrat with a Democrat Elizabeth Warren. Meanwhile, the system is saying like, actually, we don't We're not going to give individual senators input anymore, Right, how who cares on how we legislate?
Speaker 7: Right, We'll just you know, do an executive action or an administrative agency. And this is one of the things that I find interesting. Chevron is quite literally on the docket. In the next couple of weeks, we're going to hear a decision in the Chevron case before the Supreme Court, and you and I should debate sometime the merits of doing something like that, which would cut down in these administrative agency's ability to make decisions in a legislative vacuum where Congress hasn't made a decision. This case is involving some fishermen in Maine, Massachusetts, one of the two.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I mean, I think because of the way these cabinet agencies have grown, there's a real problem just in that gap. When you look at how broken and gridlocked Congress is too, there's a lot that needs to be fixed.
Speaker 6: This goes back to what we were talking about last week, where there was this study in the Annual Study that asked people, do you basically do you live in a democracy?
Speaker 3: And the top ten in the top ten.
Speaker 6: Of people countries where there were the people in those countries said they live in a democracy.
Speaker 3: You could not find the United States. Yeah, you found China in that list.
Speaker 6: So people need to ask themselves what's going on that people here in the United States are less likely to say that they live in a democratic country than people in China. All we want when we're complaining about lobbying, I think what we really want is the ability of people collectively to determine how they are governed, to be represented self government, right you want representative self government, And the sense among most people is that we do not have self government right now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean absolutely.
Speaker 7: And Washington is really uncomfortable with quote representative people, even if they're members of the House of Representatives. And that applies to Alexandrocasia quartets, and it applies to mac Gates.
Speaker 6: It's just across could represent the Panhandle better than that Gates exactly exact.
Speaker 7: And for people on the right who find Brooklyn Bartenders to be vapid and out of touch, there's a representative from that district and you should take it up her.
Speaker 3: Bar was in Manhattan.
Speaker 6: I didn't, but like so many of the bartenders in Manhattan, she doesn't didn't live in Manhattan.
Speaker 3: Right up in the Bronx.
Speaker 8: There you go, Oh, that's right, the Bronx.
Speaker 7: But anyway, the point remains that Washington is very uncomfortable with people who actually represent the American people if they don't happen to be from like a wealthy suburban district or a blue coastal city.
Speaker 8: That gets really uncomfortable right.
Speaker 7: Away, and not in the way some lobbyists like to say, which is we just need compromise. Well, that compromise is just oil for it's just grease in your skins, basically.
Speaker 6: And there's kind of different kinds of corrupt lobbyists. There's some that are just massively distorting the state system, like strip mining the wealth from around the world and from the American people and sending it to their clients and taking a piece along the way. That to me is the most destructive kind. The others are like just cabbes and Cairo. You have you ever been to Cairo, So, for instance, you get off at the airport, it's Cairo's super confusing.
Speaker 3: One of the most confusing places you can ever imagine.
Speaker 6: And so you're going to have all of these taxi cab drivers who are just there to kind of exploit the confusion and just make a whole bunch of extra money off of tourists. So it's like people just kind of fleecing tourists and the corporations, and that analogy. Are the tourists here in Washington were getting fleeced by the lobbist that I care less about to.
Speaker 8: Fight each other by the way, I mean, it's like.
Speaker 6: Please fleece the corporations. That's that's kind of finely. I got to drive a cab one of the it was pretty crazy.
Speaker 8: Were you on the other side of the car?
Speaker 3: I know, he let me get in the driver's seat.
Speaker 8: But I mean was the I received in Egypt on the end?
Speaker 3: That was normal?
Speaker 7: It's like American okay, yeah, interesting. I was thinking of the British Empire. It's crazy cars and all that good stuff.
Speaker 6: Now they stuck with the the I mean the right way. Yes, it's crazy. If she get rid of the metric system, seemed to be very few traffic laws.
Speaker 7: We have now devolved into the conversation about Egyptian traffic laws.
Speaker 8: That usually means that we've gone.
Speaker 7: On too long, but anyway, we hope everybody enjoyed that conversation. Just as a reminder, if you're having any issues with the links, they're going to YouTube and Spotify is and to be in the email.
Speaker 8: It's going to be in the episode description.
Speaker 7: If you're having any problems, support at locals dot com, copy Breaking Points premium at gmail dot com. That will fly producer Griffin, who is here to help so that no breaker is left behind. Premium subscriptions get you this full show early and they get you all of counterpoints on Wednesdays early to your inbox with no breaks, or you actually get the whole show. Every clip isn't always uploaded, but it is. If you are a premium subscriber, We appreciate you all so much. If you can't support it, it helps more conversations like this happen.
Speaker 2: Hey, if you like that video, hit the like button or leave a comment below. It really helps get the show to more people.
Speaker 1: And if you'd like to get the full show add free and in your inbox every morning, you can sign up at Breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 3: That's right, get the full show.
Speaker 2: Help support the future of independent media at breakingpoints, dot com