Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal. I'm that for me, I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for Dake Edith State? Is that woo woom? And Dan and Thy Welcome back to the solid verbal, Boys and girls. My name is Ty Hildebrand. I am over here in beautiful Allentown, Pennsylvania. Joining me over there in beautiful New York City a fine gentleman, my colleague, co host of many years. You know him as Dan Rubinstein. Sir, how are you? I am jacked up? Tie, Yeah, I am jacked up.
Speaker 2: And I actually just filled out a new passport application and it does ask if you are known by any other names. So that just sort of triggered me when you said he is known by I don't think I have any other name.
Speaker 1: You don't have any any nefarious aliases? No, I hope that I never do. But I'm great, Ty. Life is good.
Speaker 2: The Espianation College football crew is in town for a couple of planning meetings, so it's always good to see the faces that are you know, always over Slack or email or Skype. So it's you know, Bill C and Stephen Godfree. I'm very excited to meet I've never met Morgan Moriarty, who's new to the team. So all sorts of fun things are happening, which means I think we'll be eating a lot of food in the Yeah, forty eight to seventy two hours, which is great.
Speaker 1: How much time would you say, collectively, you as a as a singular entity in the foody world, have put into what kind of eating arrangements there will be during said meetings.
Speaker 2: So we planned tomorrow Night's like nicer meal a couple of weeks ago. Myself and Ryan plan that. But I don't know what I'm having for dinner tonight. We don't know we're having for lunch tomorrow. It's tough because there's gonna be like seventeen or eighteen of us total, so with video crew and everything like that. But generally, I just in my own head, I'll give it a considerable amount of thought. Yeah, I figured out, Okay, I want everybody to get a real New York experience.
Speaker 1: Ty, did I take you to Los Tacos Number one in Los Marie's. Yeah, you took care, So I give you the taco Bang Bang you gave me the taco bang bang. Yeah. I appreciate that very much. I'm a taco fan. Okay, good, I'm glad you've come so far since two thousand and eight. I have, I really have Okay iTunes dot com slash Solid Verbal. Oh yeah, if you like the show, we'll be here all off season. I enjoyed the hell out of the show we did a week ago. It was a fun one. Right, this is it. Go back and listen to it if you didn't yet, or even if you just want to hear the sound clips again. That was your idea for a little off season game that we can play. And of course, now this show is dropping on March first, and whoa coming in? Hot? Okay? Have you ever heard of the common expression that March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb? Ty?
Speaker 2: Because I am not an aunt in Kenosha, Wisconsin, I have not. You have not heard I when you asked me about this and we're telling me about Tridia, I had never heard of that expression.
Speaker 1: See, Southern California has spoiled you, my friend, in like a lion and out like a lamb? Has has the Solid Fiance heard of this expression?
Speaker 2: I actually didn't ask her. I imagine she has. I mean, there's no weather in southern California that would come in like a lion, So everything's cool in March.
Speaker 1: In like a lion, out like a lamp. So it's I'm guessing something most people listening to this show have heard of. But if not, allow me to explain the month of March for those of us who don't live in southern California. Typically we'll start off in cold, unpleasant some would say ferocious fashion weatherwise, but then as the expression goes, it ends in a mild and pleasant and peaceful manner, just like a lamb, right in like a lion, out like a lamp. In the college football world, mister Rubinstein, there are a number of players and coaches, teams, all sorts of things that enter twenty seventeen, and what I would say is a rather un certain and tumultuous state. Sure, all right, it makes sense, and so this game today in like a lion. It is gonna be incumbent on you and I to determine whether these things go out like a lion, or go out like a lamb, or go out like any other creature in the animal Kingdom. We're not just gonna limit it to a lamb or lion or anything, but all of them to some degree, are entering twenty seventeen in the season, in the off season, and the long doldrums of summer, like a lion licking some wounds. That's right. So I've got a bunch of stuff before me, which I was hoping to discuss. Really, we're just trying to trying to look a little bit into the crystal ball, Gonna have some fun with animal sounds, you know, all the usual stuff. Love it. We're gonna jump right in here. If you're ready. I'm ready, Ty, Let's start coming in like a lion. Man, that's ferocious. It is coming in like a lion. Is Butch Jones. Yeah, Currently the head football coach at Tennessee. He has recruited the hell out of Tennessee football, done a really good job bringing in talent and last year Dan you could definitely make a case that he had the most talented team in the SEC East. Fought some injuries, had some close wins, some bad losses, but by a large had a very talented team. The Tennessee hype train was running hot, real hot at the start of the show at the start of the year. Clearly that did not work out. Did not work out, No, And I would say no. So it was a tumultuous finish to Tennessee season. And now I think it's rather uncertain for him. Butch Jones as he now enters twenty seventeen, Dan, Butch Jones enters twenty seventeen as a lion, he will go out as a do you want me to answer? Please? Please? Okay, just making sure.
Speaker 2: So Tennessee and Butch Jones something that the Internet loves talking about and enjoying, you know, not always because they're good, but just they just appealed to the Internet. And I would say that their progress has been slow moving, fair to say, yeah, so what I'm feeling right now more of the same. We're gonna like gawking, but we're not going to see a ton of motion, a ton of movement as they try to ascend to the college football glitterati. So I'm going to say in like a lion, out like and I had never heard this animal speak, and the sounds of this animal before, out like a sloth.
Speaker 1: A sloth, I need to play that again, A sweat a All right, So what what's sort of the sound that Butch Jones makes every single time a Tennessee player gets hurt. I was thinking that, So, what what qualities of the slow are you applying here to your logic? Internet loves sloths? Right, Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: The Internet does love a good sloth, sloth, very slow moving. I explained this at the top tie. I just don't believe Tennessee the progress has been glacial. They're fine, I'm not. I just think they're gonna be out like a sloth. I haven't seen more of the same. They have to replace a good amount they are. And to honor our good friend Bill C, the immortal, the number one everything in college football, I believe, and I have this in front of me, Tennessee is one hundred and ninth in the country in returning production in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I sort of feel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fifty one percent of their production is coming back, which is good for one hundred and ninth in the country out of all if.
Speaker 1: That's usually indicative of a step back. And I'm glad you brought up the total production returning stats that Bill C has put out there, because I've I'm going to reference that here in a little bit of well simbodycoat. So you're saying a sloth, do you do? Thank you? Do you think that Butch Jones is going to be employed at Tennessee in twenty eighteen? No? I agree? Do not? Yeah? I agree, And I'm not going to go the sloth route, Okay. I am instead going to go with another big presence in the animal kingdom sort of slobbery, certainly bark being worse than his bite. I am told that that is the authentic barking sound of a Saint Bernard. Okay. St Bernard's are very helpful. Though they're helpful, they're nice. He's never gonna like attack the intruder, you know, He's just gonna be there and hope maybe that the intruder gets scared away because he's such a big dog.
Speaker 2: I thought you were going to say, because Butch Jones looks like he could be the number three villain in Beethoven. Okay, that Saint Bernard makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: But okay, you can have yours too, going Saint Bernard. All right? Up next, let's stay on the coaching side. Please, let's talk about a gentleman who went seven and five last season, Dan, h we might be wondering, well, how did he do in twenty fifteen. It's funny you should ask you went seven and five regular season in twenty fifteen. You might say, all right, well two in a row is what's that? How do you do in twenty fourteen went six and six Water Bowl game over Texas went seven and six overall. I'm talking about Brett Beilama, Bert Beilima Bert at Arkansas, Dan, are you not going to play the sound I have this? I have to pull it up here. I have a whole animal soundboard that I've compiled here. So we'll get to the Bert sound here when you least expect it. But I think it's fair to say that Brett Beelama now enters twenty seventeen like a bit of a line maybe not like Moufasa, but certainly as a himba, you know, a lining cub there. There's definitely some uncertainty and some tumultuousness in the situation that he currently finds himself Dan. So sure, for the purposes of our little game here, Brett Bieleman enters like a lion, he goes out like a So my line of thinking is I'm going with pitbull here, pitbull. So I'm going with a ferocious pit bull, but not the one you're thinking of. Ty, You're not going Daley here, right, Okay, No, I am going so you are going Dollay. I think no matter what happens in twenty seventeen with Arkansas, Ret Bilma's still gonna have a good time. I think he's literally going out like a like the literal person pitbull.
Speaker 2: Not Yeah, there's something consistent about Brett Bielima, you know, in what he wants out of offense and what his team sort of seems to finish the season as like they seem to end with promise, even though this year the Bowl game probably less so. But I think there's there's going to be that consistent energy from Bett Brett Beilama, even if he's fired after this year, I still think.
Speaker 1: He's going out like fitball. All right, Well I have the sound, Oh there it is there you go, just for you, thank you. What is he going out with? In your way? I'm saying a cheetah. Really, I'm saying a cheetah because if he's already a lion, a cheatah is the same basic cat mm hmm. But a lot better at running okay, and that's really the main difference. Arkansas struggled to run the football consistently a year ago, and I'm not going to point to that as the sole reason why they didn't perform better than seventy five regular seasons seven and six if you count the Bowl loss to Virginia Tech. But it was one of the elements that I think a lot of people looked at and said, Wow, this is this is not something we're accustomed to seeing. We like Rolly Williams, Rowley Williams is gonna be really good. But they just didn't get the production in the line up front. They did in some games, they didn't in others. It was just a really inconsistent offensive effort, especially when it comes to running the football. So I think they will improve that in twenty seventeen. The problem is that the SEC is always really good.
Speaker 2: We could also reference the linebackers in the open field chasing after speedier players on other SEC teams or other teams in general, and just to hit that sloth sound again, TI, we could go sloths sound.
Speaker 1: We could go sloth again, and I don't think you'd be wrong about that, But I'm feeling pretty much the same trajectory for Brett Bielma in twenty seventeen is twenty sixteen, but maybe some improvement running the football, which is why I say cheetah. Okay. Also, did you know that a cheetah when it's not or growling, makes like a really high pitched meowing sound. Do you have the sound? I don't have the sound, but I was listening to it on YouTube. Yeah, damn it really high pitched. Okay, Uh, where do you want to be? Watch? Have you watched any of the Planet Earth too yet? All I've seen so far is that clip of the iguana versus the snakes. Oh, the little lizard, not iguana, but yeah, the tiny little lizard. Yeah. Oh incredible. I have the best sports highlight of the year. I haven't seen anything else so far, but neither of them forward to it.
Speaker 2: I am so excited. Have we let's see isn't really I mean, there's smoky, but that's you know, the volunteer is not an animal. Uh, we've got the razorback. I love I love good nature documentaries and wild boar razorback kind of thing. Suey Oh, yeah, I would absolutely watch that.
Speaker 1: So you're a big fan of the animal Kingdom, and I didn't. I didn't used to be a fan of animals. What how do you what I did possible? I didn't used to take animal seriously. I just didn't like I would if I were cornered by a bear or something. Yeah, then you wouldn't. You wouldn't watch Animal Planet? Not really, not really. This is another thing that the solid wife has now introduced into my life. This is why I'm a better man.
Speaker 2: What is your number one? Animal Planet? Nature documentary type.
Speaker 1: Show? Not the show itself, but subject. What animal are you? Just like I can't get I know you love space, but like, what animal can you not get enough of? Seals? Really? That's an interesting answer, I got. I gotta go seals? Yeah, why seals? Just a good sea line? Scratches me right where I itch it always happened. But like you, you would watch footage, a lot of footage of seals doing their thing. Yeah. Do you prefer the aquatic or the land portion of the seals life? I prefer the seal pups. Actually, see I love a good elephant seal. Okay, yeah, but my number one is the orca, the killer Well, we talked about this before, which which says a lot about about our dynamic. Yeah, that you're more of a prey guy and I'm more of a predator guy. Interesting. Also, monkeys gotta I love a good monkey. It's hard not to like the monkeys. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I don't know how we got talking about this, but okay, we were talking about the SEC. So let's let's stay in the SEC as a whole. We'll come back to There are a couple other SEC topics here that maybe we can address. But I want to talk about something I'm going to refer to here, coming in like a lion, very ferociously. SEC Conference superiority, Dan, did you know that only one team last season had fewer than four losses? I did now that time we've been over this. The East has no clear cut favorites at all. The conference has a quarterback problem, which maybe we can discuss a little bit later. And for the first time in forever, the discussion was not about the SEC being the best conference. We were talking about the Big Ten. We were talking about the ACC. Dan, For how long was the SEC this planetary body around which the fabric of college football bent? This past year? Not so much the case, not great, not great. Only one team with hewer than four losses coming in like a lion Dan, it will go out like I'm gonna say a bear, Okay, and I'm gonna say bear because what is a bear market? Ty? Bear Market's a bad market. It's not a great market. Some people are selling. Yeah, I like the quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: I just I'm not seeing complete teams perhaps other than Alabama that I believe in at this point, returning talent wise, A lot of questions about LSU, A lot of questions about texts A and M, and if they're gonna turn any sort of corner.
Speaker 1: Tennessee.
Speaker 2: We talked about the loss of production there, lost of production with Arkansas. Florida's quarterback situation is Luke del Rio. The long term answer is at Felipe Franks, Georgia. We have no idea if that offense can take a step forward that I have very little confidence. So right now I'm bearish on the UH on the SEC. But also I think there's a bit of a hibernation situation. Okay, I think the old Miss situation. You know, we were hurting depth in the West, So I don't have a bear sound, but I know you were talking before the show that you're very good at roaring.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if I could do the roar Dan Okay, so I don't have a bear sound. I could try a roar if you want.
Speaker 2: No, here's what we're gonna do. We're gonna compromise and let's go with here we go. I found it.
Speaker 1: This is this is bear. Okay, Yeah, that's all I got. So I'm gonna go out like a bear. I think it goes out like a lamb. I think there's a chance the SEC could return to being the best conference in twenty seventeen, nice and comfortable. I think there's a chance could happen. And again, there are going to be plenty of teams in the Big Ten that I think take a step back. Michigan loses a lot. They've recruited well, but they lose a lot. Penn State, despite the fact that they had an incredible renaissance a year ago. I think there's a chance that they could take a step back. I'm just not certain they continue on the same path that we saw last year. And in the ACC obviously, Clemson loses Deshaun Watson, Louisville loses some contributors on both sides of the football. Florida State I think should still be pretty rock soylid, but I don't know if the Hives are quite as high in the ACC as they were last season. So I think there's a chance there's an opening there for the SEC. There actually is an opening there for the Pac twelve as well, which I'm sure we'll get into at some point here. But I think the SEC is in really good position to regain that superiority. So I think in like a line out, like a la, I'm just like the expression says, all right, I'm aac all day, all right? Moving on, Yes, football in the great state of Tejas, Dan, Yes, football in the state of Texas undeniably comes in like a lion. There is uncertainty. TCU went what six and seven, Yeah, it wasn't great. A year ago, Texas went five and seven and fired their coach, hired Tom Herman but fired their coach. Texas A and M went eight and five on the year for the third consecutive season. And that's not even counting Cliff Kingsbury at Texas Tech going five and seven, Cliffs still not fixing his defense, And what's going on at Baylor, which is a mess for reasons beyond just football. New coach, new coach, new coach. But five teams, five big teams right there that I've listed that I think would undeniably put them in a place of relative uncertainty as we head into twenty seventeen dance. So football in the Great State of Texas coming in like a lion going out like, well, first of all, you're disrespecting UTSA and the Roadrunners. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: A nice year. I would add a nice year five and three in conference six and seven overall, but considering where they've come from, Yeah, a nice It's a bull team.
Speaker 1: Tie. You watch yourself. I'm going to say, in like a lion, out like a bull, like a bull, like a bull. Tie. Is that a real That is a real bull sound? Where did you find that? I cannot tell you, Tye. I went out into nature and secretly recorded that is a real bull sound because in like a bull. It's partially because the longhorn thing. Yes, longhorns are bulls, but also because TCU second in the nation in returning production, Texas sixth to the nation in returning production. We're talking about both sides of the ball. UTSA eighteenth tie. I do my homework Baylor ninety third, so gonna take some time, going to take some time in Waco. But the TCU in Texas thing, to me is interesting because of the experience, because of the quarterback experience. I NOWTCU is sort of up in the air, but I have a certain degree of trust with TCU that they just don't have that many lower years in a row. Now with how good Gary Patterson has done building a staff and dealing with attrition, Texas wise, Charlie Strong clearly didn't work out. Tom Herman very good in terms of getting buy in overhauling. I think Texas is going to play a lot closer to its potential in twenty seventeen. Texas is not back, but in terms of improvement, Clay Helton add how many months at USC to cross the fifty multiple times against Ali Obama to so as good as Clay Helton turn did turning around USC last year, Tom Herman does have an advantage early in getting this Texas team ready early on in the season getting by in overhauling culture. I am bullish, so I'm going to say they're out like a bull. TCU. That's a very convincing bull Dan, Thank you, TCU. At twenty seventeen, you mentioned about the returning production. They're actually the top Power five team in that metric according to what Bill c has to have. Number two FBS. Yeah, number two FBS, number one Power five and they're mostly young. They've got some turnover up front on defense, but they do bring a lot back, which is why they are so high in these rankings. It wouldn't be inconceivable for them to take a step forward. You mentioned Texas, they're going to get better on offense, they're going to get better on defense. Obviously Tom Herman comes over, but he's sort of just the head liner. Todd Orlando came over too, and he did great work at Houston, so I think there's some promise there. On the other hand, I could see A and M taking a step back because they lose a lot in both sides of football. The quarterback situations still kind of up in the air. Texas Tech is losing Patrick Mahomes and I think that's going to be a backbreaker for them. And then Baylor, I don't really have an opinion on. There's so much going on on the Baylor side that it's hard to really look at it from a pure football standpoint, I say pitbull, but not the good kind. Not the good kind. I'm saying pitbull. Still ferocious, still very unpredictable and uncertain, but easier to train and mostly friendlier than a lie. Oh we should also mentioned TCU lost foster, Sawyer sailor spy. That's right. Yeah, yeah, that's tough. So I say a real pit bull. That was another authentic pit bull.
Speaker 2: Listen, Ty, we both went with real pitbulls in our own way.
Speaker 1: Uh Dan, did you know that incredible home cooking has ever been more attainable? Oh my god, Ty, I've heard rumors of this, but please you know how Blue Apron They'll do it less than ten bucks a meal. They'll deliver an easy to follow seasonal recipe along with pre portioned ingredients, right to your door. Damn. No more over spending at restaurants or high end grocery stores. Blue Apron. They're going to help you prepare delicious, memorable meals all by yourself in under forty minutes. Not to mention, they have partnered now with over one hundred and fifty local farms, fisheries, and ranchers across the good Old US of a to ensure that their ingredients are of the highest quality. Dan, would you like to know what some of their featured upcoming meals are? Like nothing else I've ever wanted to know. Let's talk about the great month of March coming in like a lion. Maybe going out with some salmon picata with orzo and broccoli. Ooh ooh, yeah, I'm listening. Or some pork chops and misa butter with bockchoi and marinated apple. Oh my god, there's umami written all over that. Or a little vegetable chili and baked sweet potatoes with crispy tortilla strips. Or last but not least, spicy shrimp coconut curry with cabbage and rice. Does that sound good? Or what that sound?
Speaker 2: I'm my stomach is literally growling as you say that, Ty, what a good you've done.
Speaker 1: Check it out now go to blue Apron dot com slash solid. You can get your first three meals free with free shipping again by going to blue Apron dot com slash solid. You will love how it feels tastes to create incredible home cooked meals Blue Apron. Don't wait. Check it out blue apron dot com slash solid blue apron is a better way to cook. Moving on, that is so ferocious, dan Ty, Can I ask you something? Have you ever heard of chapulinas? No?
Speaker 2: Neither had I until relatively recently. The name of the food grasshopper?
Speaker 1: Tie grasshopper? Would you eat grasshopper? An or not? Not? If I knew it was a grasshopper?
Speaker 2: I had it both in Mexico and in Houston. It's pretty good grass Go out of my way for it. It's pretty good. It's a sustainable protein, A little smoky. How do you cook How do you cook a grasshopper? I think you sort of cut them up, and then you toss it like in a saute pan, with like some garlic and oil some kind. I wouldn't eat it straight, but I would throw it in a tortilla.
Speaker 1: Some guak and some salsa. It's pretty good. What is the most adventurous thing you've ever eaten? Ah? I guess human, I guess the flesh of my fellow man. No, it might be the grasshopper. I don't think jowl is too adventurous. If your had pork jowl, no, I mean it's face, no pork face. It just tastes sort of like bacon. All right, I'm not even gonna answer this on even.
Speaker 2: When I will say this though, when I was in Mexico a few weeks ago, we were at a carnitask place, and carnitas you and I know to be just sort of like shredded pork shoulder, but it really in Mexico is any part of the pig that is fried in lard okay?
Speaker 1: And you can sort of choose.
Speaker 2: You can say, oh, I want rib meat or I want shoulder meat, whatever, if you go to like a place that specializes in carnitas. I went on a guided tour and the guide was like, how adventurous do you want to be because they are literally frying up every piece of flesh on a pig. And I went with, like, low ish, and I'm generally kind of adventurous. But people that went with, yes, I want to be definitively adventurous. Do you have a guess as for which part of the pig they ate in a taco fried and like shredded and cut up?
Speaker 1: USh? I probably don't. What would you consider to be adventurous the nether regions, let's say you're you're not wrong. It was Uterus. Oh, it was pig Uterus, fried pig Uterus, and everybody seemed to like it. Good, good for them. Yeah, So what we're saying is not available on Blue Apron No yet yet. Yeah yet. We'll keep your eyes peeled all right, Uh, coming in like a lion giving me the willies here, Yeah, Josh Rosen's draft stock, Dan Oh, I like this. So look, this was one of our fantasy things that we discussed a couple times and all throughout the twenty sixteen season. A lot of hype around Rosen, a lot of steam on him after twenty fifteen because he had a great freshman campaign right twenty sixteen quick, it might be overstating it. I'd say very impressive. It was impressive. He showed a ton of promise right, Yes, twenty sixteen kicked a little dirt on that fire because he only played half a season he got hurt. Even before he got hurt, there wasn't a big boost in his productivity, virtually identical to what he did in the same span of time in twenty fifteen. So we're now at a weird spot where he's got a ton of talent. No one's forgotten about Josh Rosen, But the draft stock, you could argue, has never quite been this low, and now twenty seventeen, uncertainty. What's the offense going to look like? I think it's coming in like a lion here. Okay, yeah, it is a low point at the moment. Un So, yeah, we don't know what the offenses look like. New coordinator and jetfish. Yeah, I think that's reasonable. How do you feel about where the offense is headed and where he heads.
Speaker 2: Not particularly good? What is UCLA offensively in terms of returning production? Let's take a look real quick, just to give us a baseline idea. So they're ninety ninth, forty ninth on offense, ninety ninth overall. So I'm worried that defensively, even though they've recruited very well, I think they're gonna take a step back to chars. McKinley was wonderful rushing the quarterback. UCLA still I feel like hasn't developed past catching weapons, and they were so atrocious on the ground last year that even if they improved, they'll probably just improve to about average and that doesn't necessarily help a quarterback a ton. So I'm gonna go with a repeat here. And I'm going to say UCLA and Josh Rosen in like a lion, and because I think he's probably going to end up on a bad NFL team or you know, a bad NFL team's quarterback decisions in out like a bull tie.
Speaker 1: I love that sound. We need to start using that more. Dan. As Josh Rosen heads to Houston, Yeah, that wasn't okay team, I think that wouldn't be the worst place to go. No, it wouldn't. But that's that's what I'm feeling. I feel like he'll have a bounce. You're to the point where people will talk themselves out of his potential problems with UCLA in twenty seventeen. Yeah, I think he provided he doesn't get hurt, and provided he has an okay season. I think I really hope he does. Yeah, as do. I think he'll enter the NFL draft early. That's not a stretch to say. I think his draft stock will be a lot less uncertain than it is now. I think he'll be fun to watch. I think he'll be fun to envision in an NFL uniform, just maybe not a fully crystallized matured beast, which is why I'm going to say a Felabella miniature horse. You ever see a miniature horse show?
Speaker 2: That's what I've heard of. What is it's Shetlands, I've heard of Felabella. That's a great word.
Speaker 1: Felabella miniature horse. Yeah, that what was like on Robin Big. I don't know what was on Big, but it is a miniature horse. And I believe it's from Argentina. And I saw a horse show once. So they trained them, they ran in a circle. It was a lot of fun. Would you rather have in twenty seventeen playing for an above average college football a generic above average college football team? Would you rather have a healthy Josh Rosen or a healthy Deshaun Kaiser? Wow? I think I'd want Josh Rosen. Why I watched every throw because we're doing an.
Speaker 2: NFL draft show. We'll do we'll talk about the NFL Draft like the week before it happens. I really enjoyed our show with Peter Schreger last year. But I watched every single throw of the Shawn Kaiser's in twenty sixteen, and I don't do not hold him accountable for everything because that offense was a mess. Deshaun Kaiser made one read and launched it in as hard as he possibly could. I think I would go with Josh Rosen at this point. I think Deshaun Kaiser's more mature. I think he's a better athlete, he's a better runner, he's more solid physically. But I came away kind of disappointed with where Deshaun Kaiser was, and I still feel like if Deshaun Kaiser is going to be talked about as a top five NFL draft pick after his twenty sixteen that a healthy Josh Rosen has a higher ceiling at this point.
Speaker 1: I'll take the opposite side of the argument, and I'll just say because Kaiser can do more as a college football quarterback. He may not be as gifted a passer when it comes to making reads right, but he can do more with his legs, and that gives you an added dimension. I think Rosen's probably going to end up being a much better passer. I think he's already borderline shown that when he's been healthy. But Kaiser does give you the legs. And it was sort of an unintended advantage that Notre Dames stumbled into the first year that he played quarterback. Right, They didn't really plan on running him because they were already down a guy, right, they didn't want to get somebody else hurt. Five fifteen was considerably better, exactly. He ended up being very good at running the football, and in many cases this past season they needed him, they needed to ruin the football. He's actually got better wheels than a lot of people think he's a big guy. So from that standpoint, that standpoint alone, I think he gives you a new dimension. I'll go I'll go Kaiser over Rosen, just based on what we saw year ago. I will say with Rosen there's a lot more throwing arrogance that Kaiser doesn't have in a bad way.
Speaker 2: Right That Kaiser doesn't scan the field, he doesn't throw guys open as much. But he is very seldom to be confident or overly confident in his ability to make a play fair, which is agh, which is a good quality. Yeah, all right, coming in like a lion. This team went one in eight in the Big Ten.
Speaker 1: Yeah they did. They went three and nine over all, DAN one hundred and third one zero three in the nation in points per game. It was clearly a significant step back on offense as well as defense. Michigan State. Michigan State was a team that a lot of people were high on going into twenty sixteen. Clearly that did not work out. Now they're in a position where they had a really bad year. They enter a rejuvenated Big ten East. Despite the fact that there may be a few teams on that side of the conference taking a step back, it still feels like a decidedly more competitive division than it was the last time. Michigan State was potentially consequential. So I ask you, mister Rubinstein, three to nine, Michigan State in like a lion out like a I'm gonna go vulture here, ty a vulture, a vulture. Wow, I'm gonna I'm gonna cover myself when I'm gonna hedge because either Michigan State becomes a team and by the way, returning production wise, one hundred and twenty four. Yeah, not great, Bob, not great Bob, But Michigan is one hundred and twenty seventh across the state. Ohio State seventy second, Penn State twenty seventh, So that's a little bit scary, But schedule wise, it's I would argue, somewhat advantageous. They have Michigan on the road, but they get Maryland and Rutger's Cross Division and Indiana with a new coach. They get him at home. Ryan Field's not the most difficult place to play against Northwestern Minnesota on the road, but it's a new coach feeling things out. Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: They get in Spartan Stadium, Iowa. They get in Spartan Stadium and early on Western with a new coach, a disappointing bowling green, so they could pick apart the carcasses of disappointing teams, and by the end of the year we can say, all right, that's what they did. They weren't great.
Speaker 1: They weren't a falcon, they weren't an eagle, they weren't a hawk, but they they ate. You know, they'll they'll get back to a bowl game, or they themselves are the carcass. And Michigan at Michigan Stadium, Ohio State at Ohio State, Penn State returning a ton including two Heisman Trophy contenders on offense, at least two Heisman Trophy contenders will pick them apart, not unlike a vulture strategy. All right, so what you're saying is maybe not a return to ten and two yes, I think I like four yes, I think it's entirely possible. Michigan State has always been a program that has had to rely on identifying diamonds in the rough for developmental guys and developing them, you know, seeing qualities, finding fits for Michigan State in the way that their culture operates, but without a ton of players coming back to sort of influence winning culture, and it's tough. It's just it's a more it's a tougher ask in the way that that division has come forward with three very very strong teams. Agreed. Yeah, I think we're on a similar train of thought here. Dan. I'm not gonna say Vulture, I don't think it's quite as big of a lion, but I'm must say they go out like a house cat, maybe entering twenty eighteen with their own share of questions, maybe not quite as uncertain as they are now entering twenty seventeen. But I just kind of feel like Gate and four is going to be the ceiling.
Speaker 2: May I ask you a follow up question, So the twenty fifteen Michigan State team, Vulture wise, so a down Oregon team, not a bad Oregon team in twenty fifteen, but Vernon Adams, you know, they picked him apart because he was injured. Ohio State, you could argue offensive coordinating was a bit of a carcass in that game, not giving the ball to Zeke Elliott. Penn State was certainly down that year. That was the sort of I would argue, the basement of the running the old spread system that James Franklin brought in. They got killed in that game, right, correct, Yeah, that was like a fifty to sixteen kind of game. And Michigan clearly at the beginning of the Harbaugh era, and that was, you know, the carcass of special teams play and Brady Hoke before that. So I'm not going to disrespect Michigan State and fully attribute their success to them picking apart carcasses and not necessarily being the ones to kill them.
Speaker 1: But there might be an element. Okay, fair enough, I agree, Okay, And finally, finally, in like a lion, I need to harkenhim back to this for a second because I remember it very vividly. Last year. I took copious notes we both did on our twenty sixteen college football five part preview that we put together, and I remember as part of that preview, I went through our friend Phil Steele's season preview, as I do every year, and in that preview, he assumed that John Franklin the Third was going to be Auburn's answer at quarterback. Alas that was not the case he saw some time, but he certainly wasn't the prolonged answer at quarterback for Auburn. Seawan White got the majority of the steps, and at times he was effective. I gave him and Gus Malson a lot of crap for it, not that they care or even new, but I just thought starting Seawan White was lopping off an entire leg of your offense because he just didn't give you much more beyond like a game manager role. So I was disappointed. We didn't see any of that creativity that we've come to know and love from Gus Malson. Now they enter twenty seventeen, Seawan White is still there, John Franklin the Third is still there, but they've also got Woody Barrett. They've got a sophomore named Tyler Queen, a freshman named Malik Willis, and of course the Baylor transfer Jared Stidham. Gus Melzon has options, but which one will he pick? Auburn's quarterback coming in like a lion and going out like a I'm gonna say, goat, oh and not and not theg dot O dot a dot t goat. But I'm kind of scared specifically for Jarrett Stidham, because I don't know that that is the the most perfect fit. To me, he feels like a quarterback who can run, a thrower who can run, and I know Cam Newton sort of developed into that in his one transfer year. But I also am under the impression from watching Auburn these past few years under gusmels On that they are looking for somebody at quarterback who can shoulder a good amount of the rushing load. Nick Marshall was able to successfully Sean White and a couple other quarterbacks less so, and I don't know that that generally fits what Gusmelson is able to do. So I'm I'm scared much in the way that screaming goats appears to be scared. Ty Well, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna play the goats sound. Did you know that I was gonna go goat with this one? No? I did not. I have a baby goat right here. I swear to you, on all things holy Simbadio that I am going to go goat here, and that I had planned on going goat here. I think regardless of who ends up with this job, I've lost some confidence in gusmel Zon's ability to put together like a well balanced offense, something that incorporates both the run and the pass. We saw it a couple of years ago with Nick Marshall. Right, but it's been a while. I feel like it's been too long. Had really good pass catching options. Sammy Coates was great, Carda Lewis. Yeah, so I'm thinking that it's a goat, but the kind of goat that has a fatal flaw. Oh, you know, like one of those fainting goats, one of those goats that when they get all worked up, they just faint. Yeah, so I get some sort of critter with a fatal flaw. We're on the exact same page here With that being said, Dan, Yeah, stamps dot com will save you time and money. As we mail in this episode, stamps dot Com it can help you grow your business. Dan. You can mail any letter, any package. All you need is a computer, a printer, the mailman you'll pick it up. Wow. Avoid the passport renewal there you go, avoid the hassle the post Office mail everything from postcards, envelopes, to packages domestic or international. DAN. They bring all the services of the United States Postal Service. Write your fingertips. You can buy and print official US postage for any letter, any package, any class of mail using your own printer and computer. They make it easy. They'll send you a digital scale which will help you calculate exact postage. Believen help you decide the best class of mail. And I gotta say this would have been real helpful when we were sending out our T shirts. Not that I disliked the Postal Service. They do great work. I'm a fan of my local post office, but it just would have been way more convenient and certainly easier if I could have done it all the labeling, from soup to nuts, right here at the home office. So stamps dot Com to the Rescue DAN. The next time we do a T shirt sale or the next time we have to mail anything out, I'm using stamps dot com right now. You can too, with a special offer that includes a four week free trial plus postage and a digital scal don't need to sign up for anything long term. They'll throw in all that. If you go to stamps dot com, click on the microphone at the top of the homepage and type in our code Solid so l I D again, They'll give you a four week trial plus postage and a digital scale without a long term commitment. Give it a try stamps dot com. Your promo code is Solid. Click on the mic at the top of the page type insolid stamps dot com. Never go to the post office again, ty Can you play the sloth sound for me again? Ah? Ah, that's wonderful. That's all I got, dan Uh, that's almost everything I have, Tye. Will you play the breaking news sound for me? Yeah? Breaking news? Okay.
Speaker 2: So, as I mentioned to you, Ty, the the Espionation college football people are in town.
Speaker 1: Yes, correct, correct? I got a an update about a romantic pursuit whoa of Richard Johnson whoa that began on the evening of the Soliverble Live show at Hell Country. Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa? I did, I got this. I got an update, Tye. Are we allowed to talk about this on the show?
Speaker 2: So I will not call out this person that Richard Johnson is now at least unofficially romantically entangled with Okay, the dates dating ongoing. I don't want to mis represent anything.
Speaker 1: You're going to torpedo the whole damn thing, dude.
Speaker 2: I might torpedo the whole thing, but I did ask Richard's permission and he said go for it.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Well then so be it. So it's ongoing, Ty, no kidding on whatever level, it's ongoing. And as I've said before, Ty, hilden Brandt is the ultimate afrodisiac. We bring people together, man, That's what we do, bring people together.
Speaker 2: So I'm just saying right now we are going to be doing the tentative plan. We're going to do a live show in August to do our fantasy things draft live. This is breaking news now, Yeah, this is breaking news. We have not booked anything. That is the plan.
Speaker 1: The plan is at some point in August, we're going to get together a larger gathering and you will see information on this in the coming days and weeks and months. We'll put together mailing list. It will be limited availability as the first time, though maybe not quite as limited and will be bigger. Yeah. The plan is to put together a really fun season preview show and instead of boring people we're gonna we're gonna have our Fantasy Things draft for the twenty seventeen season, live in Living Color. So all I'm gonna say is, if you're a single gal, if you're a single fella, we will probably be doing this place that has food, that has drinks, and I would say it's safe to say it's going to be a bit of a singles mixer. Tie do is that a word?
Speaker 2: I don't even know if that's a word anymore, But you know what I can say now with authority. We have a very attractive audience.
Speaker 1: We do, yes, absolutely informed, educated, good jobs, interesting people and just the top of the top looks wise. Tie, you and I were the two least interesting people there.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, right now, keep your eyes peeled because we've got an attractive audience.
Speaker 1: Head on a swivel. Absolutely all right. Wow, you're already paying ty. This is already breaking news here. Yeah, our first twenty seventeen great, so listen. Yeah, I teased this a little bit and I saw some action on the form we're going to be putting out at by the end of this week, a voting poll for people who want to jump in and vote for our Verby Show. The plan is that we're going to do that either next week or the week after, right, So it's going to be in short order that will do our Verby Show. They just did the Oscars a couple days ago. We can assure you we'll probably have that level of screw up and more as we give out the biggest and brightest awards in the college football world, as we do one final recap of the twenty sixteen season that was. But before we get to that point, we need you to step in and let us know what you think. We need some voting. We need some voting. So it's it's free, It's open to everybody to come in and vote. We'll put together a nice little fun show talk about all of these award winners and and much much more so. The Verbie Show is forthcoming. We are currently signing up coaches that are going to be on the program. Yeah, in the next couple months. We've got some healths applying, some headlining acts that I am extremely excited about. We won't spill the beans on that quite yet, and then some other fun stuff planned as we enter into the long doldrums of the off season. Ty, did you notice the avalanche of support that Donuts received. I did, Yeah, I did. It was like forty seven to one. People are pro donuts and I am, which doesn't make am anti cake. There are cake donuts. I am pro donut. I'm pro cake. I may be anti donut wall, but I need to see it. I need to see it. I am crazy. I am waiting to pass judgment until I actually see how this is used. Okay, all right, I just.
Speaker 2: The ratio is flipped with donuts. It's everything is coming up donut.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think you'll be very pleased with the wall. Tie. All right, I'm giving it a.
Speaker 2: Chance, and there will be far more donuts than people and we'll have to go bags too.
Speaker 1: Tie, you'll be set. I am waiting to pass judgment. Okay, that's all I got, Dan. That's everything I have for that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Ti Hill, the brand. Thanks again for tuning in. Subscribe at iTunes dot com, slash Solidverbal and at solid verbal dot com. We will be back in a week. In the meantime, stay solve it. Peace,