Speaker 1: This is the OTP presented by Farm Bureau Health Plans. Plan on paying less for the coverage you need with Farm Bureau Health Plans. Get a quote today at FBHP dot com. I'm Mike Keith with Titans Radio's draft duo Rhet Brian and coach Dave McGinnis, as we take you through their top five at various positions leading into next week's NFL Draft. Our first OTP with these two, the top five quarterbacks and running backs. Today we hit defensive backs. Rehet Brian, I think we have to start at the corner position, don't you.
Speaker 2: I think we do. And the top five goes like this at number five, kool Aid McKay Alabama, number four, Cooper de gene Iowa, Number three, Nate Wiggins Clemson, Number two, Quinnyan Mitchell Toledo, and number one Terry and Arnold Alabama.
Speaker 1: All Right, Arnold has elevated through this entire process, Coach Dave McGinnis, Why is Terry On Arnold at the top of the list.
Speaker 3: Big time producer in the Southeastern Conference, very nuanced player, very nuanced player. He's not He's not a four to three guy, but the guy is sticky he's in phase, he understands, he understands not only vision to the quarterback, he understands transition on throws. He's never hesitant. You can tell that he really understands and gets the game. He's he's really good at the catch point, really good at the catch point, holds his water, doesn't panic when the ball's over his head, and he's in phase with the receiver.
Speaker 1: I just I just.
Speaker 3: Think he's more of a nuanced corner because of where he's been. And I will say this, and I know he's retired, but you know, Nick Saban coaches the corners at Alabama. He coaches the corners at Alabama, and Nick Saban knows what he's doing. You can see it in the technical work. And when we've got two Alabama corners, you know, in our top five, and I think that not only the physical ability, but they've learned the game at a really high level.
Speaker 2: Mike Terry and Arnold is ahead of his teammate kool Aid McKinstry in a lot of people's eyes because he was brought in that safety, worked at safety, moved to corner, and you look at his immeasurables. Mike, he's five eleven point eighty nine four five and the forty arms thirty one and five eight, So he's longer prospects seventy six and a quarter inches is his wing. And you know who else had that same kind of track and has those same kind of numbers coming out the guy that the Titans just traded for, Lagarius Sneak. There's a lot of If there's a comp that's kind of the comp.
Speaker 1: We saw Quiny and Mitchell play at the Senior Bowl corner from Toledo, originally from the state of Florida, and you think, well, he's a MAC player, and Mac football is good football, but they don't generally have the top end receivers. Say that the SEC or the Big ten did and then we all we saw Mitchell do and Mobile has shut everybody down. He just beat everybody up.
Speaker 3: You're one hundred percent right, and we're sitting up there watching, going this kid is, you know, and I didn't know a lot about him. I knew I knew about him, but not digging in on him before we went there. I think I think he We talked about Jalen right earlier in our in our first draft program about elevating himself in this in this uh pre draft process, Kenyon Mitchell. Kenyon Mitchell will be number one on a lot of people's cornerback board. He really will. And when you watch him and you look at him, you see you see really what you see as someone that has got tremendous athletic ability four three three A, one to five, one ten thirty eight, vertical jump, ten to two, broad twenty reps at two twenty five. Now for a cornerback that's pretty salty and he plays like that. This guy, to me is you talk about you talk about a really good floor to work from, but a ceiling that's going to be very, very high. And he will be able to progress as he's taught in this league and learns how to play against as you brought up more nuance receivers. But he opened my eyes at that senior boat, Mike.
Speaker 2: There might not be another player, regardless of position, who has helped themselves and has won this pre draft process more than Quinyon Mitchell.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of talk coming in to Mobile that he might be a first round pick, and now most of the analysts think he is an upper half of the first round pick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it would not surprise me at all. I do believe he's a Thursday night first round pick, and I think it's going to be pretty early on.
Speaker 1: Degene from Ile, Oh just had a great individual workout. I made a player with a bit big skill set, State long jump champion average twenty five points a game in basketball in high school. I mean, the measurables, the trades, whatever you want to call it, are there. Does that translate to the field when I was out there playing defense in spades? It does.
Speaker 3: I mean, let's talk about Iowa defensive backs a little bit. Their coach, Coach Parker, is probably the guru of defensive back coaches in the collegiate game.
Speaker 2: Wow, the guru.
Speaker 3: He's been there for twenty five thirty years. These guys come out of there so well versed on what it takes, not only ability wise, but the mind and the thought process of what it takes to play in the secondary. You can just tell they are nuanced. We've got a safety here right now that came from there. We could tell that in that draft. You remember when you know when we had him, In fact, we had Kirk Honnie Hooker. Yeah, in fact, we had Kirk Ferrence on after the draft, and he said the same thing. But they are so well schooled in what it takes to be a secondary. And then you couple that with what he's got you already mentioned. I mean, he's six foot and a half two oh three. Broke his fibula in November, so to your point, he's just coming off of that, but was cleared for his activity. This guy is everything and here's and I say everything in this aspect. He's got the mental capacity to do it. He is so positioned and scheme versatile. You can play this guy anywhere. And when I say anywhere, you can. You can drop him down. He can play an overhang position up up at the second level. He can play safety, he can he can do it an hour. You could put him out there on a corner and he's got the hips to be able to play corner. This is a really, really good football player. And when I say that, it's with huge, huge lights on as a football player that I think is a can't miss in this league.
Speaker 2: He may be one of the top five position versatile players in this draft. You could literally, I mean, whatever Iowa runs, it's kind of like a star position or whatever, and the guy can do it. All and came back and ran what a four to four forty and a thirty eight and a half inch vertical.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all five of these players in your cornerback listing, do they go in the first round? Rhett?
Speaker 2: I'm going to say probably three of the five go in the first round? Wow, Okay, Terry and Arnold Quinya, Mitchell, Cooper de Gen probably now that he's tested some and it's still Nate Wiggins could still be there. Koolaid McKinstry had foot surgery after he ran his forty at his pro day and it's supposed to be ready for training camp, so we'll see about that. But I would say safely three of the five will be drafted in the first round.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think that there'll be there'll be there'll be a gap as to when they're taking But I think Nate wi can go just from the fact he's slight one hundred and seventy three hundred and seventy five pounds, but he ran four to eight, you know, and God doesn't make many of those people, and especially if you're going to have a defense that matches some people up with a thirty six inch vertical, not very physical, not very physical, but four to eight, with the way the space game is now, I would think he and kool Aid McKinstry will go on the lower third, the lower third of the first round.
Speaker 1: Annis Rakestraw from Missouri, was he in contention for your top five? Yes, right there, and so he figures to be a player probably early in Night two, I would think, very early.
Speaker 3: If not, somebody, somebody may tag him at the end of the first round just because the number of draft picks that they have and the need that they have back there in the secondary.
Speaker 1: But absolutely he does. He's a good player. He's a good player. I think what you're getting to though, is if the Titans wanted to go corner at thirty eight, they could get an outstanding player potentially.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely. I mean there's another guy who's not on our list. I mean there's a guy, you know what at Iowa State, TJ. Tampa, that that to me is I mean, there's this the run on corners I think will carry on through maybe the top of the fourth round.
Speaker 1: Who is TJ. Tampa with the cool name.
Speaker 3: Got some got some got some length to him, got some got some got some lengths to him? Is a guy that has proven that he's got the hips to be able to match and play. And he's just a very very cerebral guy in the back end.
Speaker 2: Almost seventy nine inch wing on that guy.
Speaker 1: Oh you like that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, buddy?
Speaker 1: All right, So let's talk about favorites, Coach Mac. Outside of the top five. Your favorite is.
Speaker 3: Max Melton, okay, from Rutgers your favorite interview.
Speaker 1: I love that guy.
Speaker 3: I know you do, so I did that from MAXA but I'm glad you like it. Five eleven, one eighty seven. The guy is just a bulldog. I mean he and when I say that, I mean he is tenacious. He's a tenacious player. He's physically gifted. Forty and a half inch vertical jumping, eleven four broad jump. I mean that that that that in a four three nine forty. He's compact. But you interviewed him and the way that he interviewed with you, the way you explained it to us when we were down in Mobile, it's the way he plays.
Speaker 1: He ain't scared.
Speaker 3: I think what you said is, Coach Mack, this guy could be a W. W. E.
Speaker 1: Russell. Oh we could, but I mean he's Max Smelting too. That rolls right, rolls right off that, but he ain't scared, Rahett. I mean, that's that's what you love in corners, is I mean, they're gonna have time to day war every day, and they're going to go against world class athletes at wide receiver and this guy just doesn't care.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: I thank you you spot On, and you came back immediately from that interview and said, this guy's got it all right inside, all right.
Speaker 1: Red Brian, who's your favorite?
Speaker 2: Cam Hart? Notre Dame? Who is Cam Hart? So he is a pretty large cornerback, Notre Dame six ' three two oh two four five forty thirty three inch vertical, He's got almost a seventy nine inch wings band. And you know, there's some ups and downs to any of these guys, but if you want to see what he can do, take a look at the Ohio State film. He held Marvin Harrison Junior to three catches for thirty two yards, no touchdowns. So just he's a bigger corner and obviously he's somebody that's a Day three prospect, but could make a nice addition to someone's team.
Speaker 1: Rep. Bran, who's your sleeper?
Speaker 2: My sleeper is Andrew Phillips from Kentucky. Really like Andrew Phillips. He is a five ten and a half one ninety ran a four to four to eight in the forty thirty one and a quarter inch charms. So the thing about him obviously sec corner in this but his game is a lot like Roger McCrary. That would be his comp if we're talking about him. I think he's gonna make somebody a nice, nice pro, really nice young player.
Speaker 3: Thing I like about him though, just jumping on Red Skuy he's got a forty two inch vertical eleven to three broads, so he's an explosive Yep, he's an explosive dude, and you need explosion on your transition out of your back pedal.
Speaker 1: He's got it all right. Coach Mack, you said that your favorite is Max Melton, So who's your sleeper at corner? Abrams Drain?
Speaker 3: Okay, the other corner of Missouri from Missouri five eleven, one's seventy nine not not not quite as big a four four four forty thirty three inch a vertical jump, but here one five three ten. This guy is just he's an instinctive football player, and even at that even at that weight one seventy nine. He will throw his face in the briar patch. I mean he'll go, he'll he will go after you. And Missouri had a really good football team this year in the Southeastern Conference. There were a lot of Missouri players at the combine for a reason. This guy's a good football player, and I think later on down in the draft, somebody's going to get a pretty good player there. I think he'll make a living in this league as a slot corner.
Speaker 1: All right. That was corner Safety's coming up next to tell you about seat Geek, the official ticketing partner of the Tennessee Titans. Where you're buying selling tickets to Titans games or any live event in Nashville, seat Geek is the place to do it. Seat Geek the new official ticketing partner of the Tennessee Titans.
Speaker 2: So Titans fans can fan Rett Brian.
Speaker 1: Take us through the top five safeties as you and Coach Mack have them raided At.
Speaker 2: Number five Cole Bishop, Utah, number four, Kaylin Bullock, Southern col Number three, Jaden Hicks, Washington State, number two, Javon Buller, Georgia, and number one Tyler Newman Minnesota.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about Buller first, Yeah, Javon Buller, Georgia. Who is this player and why is he special?
Speaker 3: First of all, he is very, very cognizant of what goes on in space. You can play you can play him anywhere back there. He can lap in the in the back end. He's really good at driving the football and he he he's not if when you watch in tape. The first thing you want to look at safeties, how frantic are they when the ball is snapped? You know what I'm saying? How frantic are they? Do they look confused? Do they look? This guy is so dialed in what's going on? The other thing is I mean when he's a four four to eight forty guy, thirty three inch vertical jump, a ten foot broad jump. But he understands the nuances of what's happening in space, and not only what's happening in his vertical vision, but also in his periff He's really good at pariffing what's going on too. That is a trait that your good safeties have to have because it happens back there so quick and stuff is on him so fast. I just like the way he recognizes things that are happening from the back end forward.
Speaker 1: Certain players from certain schools at certain positions get my attention more. Coach Mac, you mentioned the Alabama Corners because Nick Saban coaches the Corners. Well, guess what, Kirby Smart played exactly at Georgia. He was a safety. So if there's ever a Georgia's safety out there, my interest is peaked.
Speaker 3: Well, you know what. And that's such a great point, Mike. And and that's I mean that that's dialed in because you got Javon Bullard sitting back here at five ten and a half one ninety eight four four seven forty. I mean, and the point that you make a lot, a lot of the instructions that these guys get coming up can either be way advantageous are they can be a deficit. You know of bad habits that you have to break. To your point, you're not gonna have to break a whole lot of bad habits with safeties out of Georgia.
Speaker 1: All right, Who is Tyler neuben your number one rated safety in this list? Ret Bryan.
Speaker 2: Tyler Neuban is six' one two oh five, so good size, good size wing. He's a long player, arms thirty two inches, so his wings seventy seven and a half inches at his pro day four five nine and the forty thirty one and a half inch vertical leap, ten foot broad short shuttle, and three cone drill good and lead his team in I and t's in the last couple of years there at Minnesota. He's a nice player.
Speaker 1: So Coach Mack to you, who is Tyler Nuban from Minnesota.
Speaker 3: Tyler Nuban's a guy that just gets the game. He understands the game a safety. That's big for a safety, Mike, they have to understand the game of what's going on in front of him. Is He's very nuanced in what he understands. He's not the best athlete of this group as far as just numbers wise, but when you watch him play, you see that he's got a sense of what's going on. And then also he always is in the right place, and a safety has to be in the right place. He's a good tackler. He's a good tackler, and if they ever break through from the front back there to him, he'll get him on the ground. But I just I like the way he plays the game, and I don't know the kid, but I think just watching him, I like the way he sees the game from the back end.
Speaker 1: All right, let's talk about favorites for you to outside of your top five safeties. Coach Mack, give me a favorite in this safety class for the twenty twenty four draft.
Speaker 3: I like, uh, Cameron Kinchins from Miamia, Florida. Cameron Kinchins from Miami of Florida. Five eleven two O three four six five forty but a one five nine ten thirty five inch vertical jump, nine to two broad jump. This is a guy that I think later on down in the down in you know, down in the draft, there's gonna be a run on these he'll be I think he'll probably be taken in the probably third or fourth round.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, but but.
Speaker 3: There's there's something to his game that I mean, I like his game because again, when I look at safeties, I look at guys that are cognizant of what's going on, you know, and I look at guys that don't take false steps. I look at guys that got really really good eyes, you know, guys that don't panic.
Speaker 1: I like this guy, Ret Brian who is your favorite.
Speaker 2: At the safety position minus Malik Mustafa from Wake Forest two year starter. There talking about a guy had one hundred ninety two tackles, fifteen of those for lost, four quarterback sacks, four four fumbles, ten pass breakups, three I iNTS, not scared of contact at all, and he has experience as a gunner and a regular on the kick coverage team. Those are super things you need. And he's round three, round four guy.
Speaker 1: All right, sleeper at the safety position. Ret.
Speaker 2: Bryan Sioni Vaki from Utah. He's a guy that you must kind of pay attention to.
Speaker 1: Was he a Senior Bowl guy too? Yes, Yes he was. I thought he was there, Mike, and he showed up time and time and time again. You're like, who is this dude? And his team Cole Bishop, who is your number five safety, also made plays. But I thought Vaki might have been more impressive in terms of the on field stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, uto I had a really good defense. Yeah, yeah, and then they got two safeties that are in this draft that will be drafted. That's a good start.
Speaker 2: H Yes. Oni Vaki uh five eleven two ten had a four six two forty but a thirty nine and a half inch vertical leap ten and a half foot broad so the explosion is there, three cone drill, short shuttle. Good. He was one of those guys I thought won the week at the Senior Bowl at his position.
Speaker 3: The other thing about him, let me add on rets guy he did twenty reps at two twenty five. Yeah, so he stacked in there and what you saw a little bit at the Senior Bowl.
Speaker 1: Coach Mack, who is your sleeper at the safety position.
Speaker 3: From Lubbock, Texas? Go West Texas, Okay? Dadrian Taylor Demberson from Texas Tech. Five ten one ninety seven four four one forty thirty eight inch vertical ten to three broad jump. I think this is a guy that, once he gets even more coaching in the National Football League, is going to be a guy just because of his physical gifts that's gonna be somebody you're gonna like. He's gonna he's gonna be immediate help on teams, you know, because of his length and also you know, because of his speed. Uh, this guy to me will probably be a fourth safety when he comes into the league and will I think quickly be able to accelerate because he's got everything that it takes right now. You know, playing there in the big twelve, there's you know, there's not a whole lot of run support stuff that they have to do, and so he's kind of back there in space. But just once he gets into his movement skills and he's got lenked, I like safeties that I've got a little length to him if I'm going down later on in the draft to look at traits. We talk about traits later on in the draft thirty eight vertical, ten to three broad.
Speaker 1: You know it's there no safety's in the first round. Safety say no safeties in the first round? Would you say that, like running backs, safety is a position that you could do very well on Day three in the twenty twenty four NFL Draft. I believe that, I absolutely believe that great quality in terms of that maybe fifth, sixth, seventh round, maybe even undrafted.
Speaker 2: Yes, there could be undrafted guys that can help you. And again just an example, you know, like Malik Mustafa that I'm there's some of these guys that they're core special teams guys, which is what you need anyway, and that's what you need if you're gonna especially if you're a free agent, but if you're on the back end of the draft in round sixty seven, you're gonna be asked to do those kinds of.
Speaker 3: Here's the other thing, Mike Conritt, that's very important and once you start looking at going too that third day. The thing that you look at when you're looking at your board, you're looking at how many numbers you have perposition for training camp, and you always you want to take at least fifteen DB's total to training camp because these guys are running all the time. There's gonna be pulls, there's gonna be you know, ins and outs, but you want to be able to fill and with your seventh round picks sometimes instead of staying out of the wild West, show that free agency is. You know, once you start going the boiler room with the phone calls, take a seventh round pick on a guy that can help you there because those are big numbers that you have to fill out in the secondary and also on the offensive line. You need numbers when you go into training camp with those people. That's why you'll see, especially towards the end of that or the middle or the end of that third day, people will start looking at their boards looking at what they've got coming to training camp saying we need numbers here. Let's get them ranked ABC and D up here, and if we can save ourselves from having to negotiate, because all of a sudden, when you start negotiating, all of their agents think they're number one picks, right, okay, so that saves you.
Speaker 1: The thing about the safety position, too, which I think is important, is if you're evaluating it towards the active roster, I think you're looking at it more towards can this guy be on our forty eight, not just our fifty three, because unless you have an injury, you don't normally see a safety who is a healthy scratch. You want all those guys have to be up on game day, which rent makes the team's thing all the more important at the safety spot. Yeah, yeah, absolutely, You guys are pretty good at this. Come back and do it again on Monday. Really good. Fair to Midland. Would you come back again? Would you do you think you could make it?
Speaker 3: By what did HTT say on the text chain that you sent that time when you asked for the first day if we could do it? His reply was no, No, I'm busy.
Speaker 1: You know I'm busy. Well, we're going to get you back on Monday for another OTP to do defensive linemen and linebackers for coach Mack and Rett Bright and Mike Keith. Thanking you for joining us for the O t P.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Big Show, where the Mensain's going ever boughty nose, it's