Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal hull. That for me. I'm a man, I'm for it. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for a day? Edith Steak is that woo woom?
Speaker 2: And Dan and Tye, welcome back to the solid verbal boys and girls. My name is ty Hildenbrandt, joining me as always over there in beautiful Chicagoland.
Speaker 1: The one and only Dan Rubinstein, Sir, how are you? I'm pretty good. I've had my throat coat tea. I just had some raisin brands, so I'm feeling fibrous. I'm feeling throat forward, and I'm ready to roll. Can I tell you something real quick, Ty? Please go ahead? Anything. I was worried a couple of nights ago Jody with and I was going to go meet a couple of friends in the backyard. She pulled out of the driveway and said, I don't know that this rear left tired, feels not right. It's wobbling and and I don't think I should drive. And I looked at it, and indeed it looked pretty flat. Okay, I said, why don't we deal with this in the morning? And because that's what you should do, Ty, just kick the Calaburbia span down the road. And so we have a gas station with a service station attached to it, maybe sixty three seconds away driving. So I said, you know what, why don't I take this this car? It's not fully fully fully flat. Why don't I take it over and try to put in some air and we'll make a decision from there about where to go to change a tire or get whatever. Looked at and drove that sixty three seconds, which was more like seventy nine seconds. Pretty harrowing. Yeah, I didn't know what was.
Speaker 2: Going to is Is this a giant drawn out metaphor for the twenty twenty college football season?
Speaker 1: It is in its own way, Ty, it is in its own way. Where you're pulling out of the street, You're like, oh, I don't know. I'm hoping for the best here. I'm hoping this this drive can be completed, but unclear about what's going to happen these next few hundred yards. And so we made it. I was able to change the tire with the help of an attendant, and there's a spa on there right now. I'm gonna go get a new tire later tonight or tomorrow morning. So the moral of this story is, I don't know, don't trust me with your cars. Yeah, I'm a dumb New Yorker for the last nine years or so, and I'm just I'm reacclimating to proper society. Well, I'm glad you made it. I'm glad you're back here to record. And look, I'm glad everyone out there is joining us as well. We are back here to record.
Speaker 2: It is the so called start to another college football season, albeit a very very weird and strange and quirky one here in twenty twenty. Yeah, with the obvious backdrop of the coronavirus pandemic, we're gonna do our part to get through game previews, to get through a season, to do what we can to stay engaged with the college football ether. We all know that this is weird and there's going to be about one thousand disclaimers as we go through previewing these football games. But you know what, Dan, it's football. We're going to do our best to get through it. I'm excited to be here with you talking in front of our tens upon tens upon tens of thousands over bawlers out there.
Speaker 1: So let's just do what we know how to do. Man, Look, OK, I can do that. You want to talk about news, you want to talk about previews. You're leading this ship here.
Speaker 2: I am before we get into news. Don't forget to subscribe. We'll be here all season long. Wherever you get a podcast, you can find the Solid Verbal If you need more clarity, going out to solid verbal dot com. You're going to find our links in the upper right hand corner. You can also follow along some of Dan's handiwork if you're going out to our social media accounts. We've got what an Instagram, Facebook.
Speaker 1: The Twitter? Are we doing reels yet? On ig? We're doing those? Yeah, we are. We are doing reels. And I got to tell you I did not understand what TikTok was, because that's apparently what reels is on Instagram. I'm kind of all in really just like that. Now I get it. Yeah, essentially, just you have fifteen seconds to turn yourself into a meme or do your version of a meme. I get it. I don't always love it, but I get it. You get it, all right, We're on there too.
Speaker 2: Sign up for the newsletter at soliverble dot com, we'll be sending that out periodically. You've got some exciting stuff coming out here in the next few days, as I've been teasing for the last three months, and soliverbldireadit dot com you want to join in on the fun.
Speaker 1: If you want to.
Speaker 2: Team up with other verbawlers who are out there talking about all of our episodes, you can find it there. Oh and if you like the show, five star reviews not necessary, but very much appreciated.
Speaker 1: Now as we try to build some momentum here going into the new season, yes, absolutely, and there are I can't even count how many things I'm extremely excited for for this upcoming twenty twenty college football season, whatever shape and face it takes. So I don't want to be too wishy washy. I don't want to be too like, well, you know, if they're every that I am excited, I'm going to try to focus on the excitement that that resides inside my brain. That's what I'm telling you right now.
Speaker 2: Focus, Dan, just for every ounce of you, I want you to focus on that. Okay, lasers, laser focus. Let's get the news.
Speaker 1: Okay we had pricket news. Yeah, do we do it boo boom, boom boom.
Speaker 2: That is the most exciting possible introduction to announce that the Tulsa, Oklahoma State game has been delayed by one week.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I hope everything gets situated. Also, yeah, there was, there's been a couple weeks. We had the smutc one before I thought I saw Temple Navy has been postponed as well for a little bit, so this is not going to be unusual for the fall. But hope it buys schools enough time to get things sorted out and people in to and out of quarantine.
Speaker 2: This is going to be really frustrating for us, oh selfishly yeah, selfishly speaking, it will be incredibly frustrating to try and put together a slate of games that we're going to preview only to have it change. This is one of the many disclaimers that I'm going to give on this show. Okay, everything, and I do mean everything is subject to change between recording and the time you are listening to it before presumably Saturday. Just keep that in mind, please commit that to memory, because all we can do is the best we can with these schedules that we've got in front of us here and We've already had a couple that are postponed, so more to come on that one. We'll talk about Tulsa, Oklahoma next week. The points pray was around twenty one, twenty one and a half.
Speaker 1: More to come, Yes, I mean, so it's less Heisman caliber running back for the moment, that's all it is right now. Correct.
Speaker 2: Elsewhere, We've got the number two rated NFL draft prospect opting out of his I guess springs season, Dan your boy Penney Sewell, Yeah said he's not playing.
Speaker 1: Did that surprise you at all? No? No, he was a no brainer top offensive lineman in this year's draft, and so with what he already has accomplished. He started from day one at left tackle at Oregon and won the Outland Trophy last year. So in terms of proving his ability and his value for the next level, it was done deal that he was a product ready for the next level, just when the timing was right, and so it feels like the right move. And I'm sad to see him go, but I feel like he's going to succeed at the next level. So happy to see what he does.
Speaker 2: Speaking of draft prospects, we've got Trevor Lawrence, Clemson quarterback, coming out releasing a two page statement on Twitter on behalf of college football fans in what he called for quote actionable steps to be taken to effect change related to racial injustices and systemic inequities. In the statement, Trevor Lawrence laid out a five point plan of action to be implemented centering around voting access, racial equality initiatives, and community outreach opportunities. This is one of the things that I know we've discussed here about Trevor Lawrence and how him and college football players as a whole finding their collective voice to not only speak out on behalf of student athlete rights, but also some of these injustices around the sport. I don't know, I just feel like this is going to be one of those things that has a longer lasting impact than just the scope of this weird twenty twenty season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really hope so. And I don't know if it can be overstated that Trevor Lawrence might be the most famous college football player at this point. He's played in multiple national championships, came in as the number one overall quarterback recruit whatever a couple of years ago, and This isn't an A'll do respect back to Alan Bowman or Lane Hatcher or Chase Garber's or whoever. This is the guy with the biggest platform, arguably even though Clemson's not the biggest school in a place that can be divisive in the South. And so I just I tip my cap to Trevor Lawrence for going to bat for college football players for issues that matter to college football players, past, president and future. And I hope a ton of good comes from this because he's not somebody with a lot to I mean, he is somebody with a lot to lose. You know, whatever Stancy takes probably isn't affecting Stancy does or doesn't take, isn't affecting his future. But he's putting himself out there in a really admirable way. So again, tip of the cap, and you know, everything was I think founded in reality, and really hope that he can be a part of affected change.
Speaker 2: For sure elsewhere in college football. Southern miss coach Jay Hopson signed one game into the season. He went to his athletic director Jeremy McClain. It was announced on Monday co offensive coordinator Scotty Walden is going to be taking over the interim renes of the Golden Eagles Dan. So they lost to South Alabama in their first game this year, and he decided it wasn't for him, and now Scotty Walden takes over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hobson was already sort of in a weird territory with the art Brial situation from earlier on at Southern Miss and his relationship with the president and Nicole Auerback broke a story about some of his recruiting practices or malpractices, so it did seem like this was not a long term situation for Jay Hobson or between Jay Hobson and Southern Miss and so good local talent area. I think the Southern Miss job is actually pretty good as a G five job. I have read about some investment or lack thereof at the school, so hopefully they can get that turned around if they are indeed trying to build something big with football. So excited to see because Southern Miss has as we've seen, as we saw, you know during the Todd Monkin era. They can win some games, they can score some points. There's there's available talent there.
Speaker 2: You ever see an actual Golden Eagle like in the wildlif so no, have you magnificent bird?
Speaker 1: Yeah? That would you say a top five burg because you're kind of into birds of your top five? Easy? Easy? Top five? Oh anything else surprising unusual in your top five? Let me think about that. I'm big duck guy, like the big duck, not the organ ducks per se. But you like a mallard. Yeah. Well, we'll talk about buffalheads a little later. All right, Oh, I'm excited. What a tease. Talk about that a little bit later. Hey, let's talk about some games, can we? I would love to.
Speaker 2: We had two that I just wanted to highlight here. Army one forty two over Middle Tennessee State. This game was a train wreck for Middle Tennessee State. They looked like they were out there flailing, didn't know which end was up. And then the game yesterday between BYU and Navy, BYU won fifty five to three.
Speaker 1: Who just got third?
Speaker 2: They outgained Navy five to eighty to one forty nine. So we've seen a couple of games like this in the early going. Now, if it's any indication of what's coming down the stretch here could be it could be a lot of rust In the first couple weeks of the season.
Speaker 1: I'm wondering if that has maybe more to do with passing games, because obviously BYU ran rough shot over Navy over around three under whatever you name it. Byu was running it, so they weren't doing too many complicated things. It seemed. I was going back and forth with this game because I the ESPN graphics. I've been saying on social media, I gotta get over it. You're really having a bit with this, aren't you. They're so bad. But it didn't seem like they were doing a ton through the air. Zach Wilson was accurate, but why would you throw it if you can run it? So I'm interested to see interested to see whether this very strange offseason gives an advantage to teams with incumbent coordinators really nice, strong running games, maybe returning offensive linemen, because some of the schools that rely on the pass, perhaps disproportionately so had some moments of struggle and separation in situations where they should have. SMU couldn't, I mean, they went ultra conservative, couldn't pull away from Texas State. We saw Memphis have you know, starts and stops against Arkansas State, and so and that's also without Memphis's star running back Kenny Gainwell, who opted out of the season. So I'm curious to see and as we preview games, that might be something to consider that running games may be out noticeably ahead of passing games.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, with that as the backdrop, Yeah, are you ready, mister Rubinstein for this wild, wild ride of the twenty twenty season.
Speaker 1: I'm ready, damn time to help any of the week. Welcome to week two? Oh maybe sure? Yeah, welcome to week Welcome to Week X. Yeah, okay, bear with us postponements, positive tests and all the like. If you're thinking of betting on any of these games, maybe wait until kickoff to do that, because we don't know if any of these games are going to be played right now.
Speaker 2: It's part of the disclaimer here. It's also part two of the disclaimer in that a lot of these points spreads, and I don't even know how you make points spread right now, frankly, but a lot of this stuff is very much up in the air, and I just got to get that on the record. Okay, we've had a really hard time organizing for this show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're working with our game previews under the assumption, and I mean we can peel it back as far as we possibly can without getting in trouble from the FCC or whoever the hell governs this. We record generally. I mean right now, it's three to twenty Central time four to twenty Eastern time on Tuesday. So assume that we are working with Tuesday afternoon evening news for our weekly previews, and we can update any sort of reactions on Instagram or Twitter. So follow us there if there's something major that breaks between now and then, and listen, we're building out some video stuff tie, so we'll have updated stuff. But yes, we are working under the assumption that players are playing and if a games, yeah, if a game gets canceled, we're just going to act as if it happened and make up result. Correct. Correct. We are standing by our previews and declaring them wrong or right on Sunday mornings.
Speaker 2: So what we would do normally, as we're going through a weekly slate is look at all the games. We'd pull out the headliners. We'd give them the most love. This I think the headliner is truly just that we have football. So we're going to go through every game. We're going to talk about the ones that are most interesting to us. For some of these, we're obviously going to have more to talk about than others, but we're just going to do our part to recognize the ones that are being played.
Speaker 1: Also, I'm going to call out.
Speaker 2: Some fantasy things that maybe we can look for because I'm just a little sad that we couldn't do our live shows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got a couple here as well.
Speaker 2: All right, let's start at high noon on Saturday, Syracuse on the road at number eighteen North Carolina, Carolina a twenty two point favorite this game on the ACC Network. One interesting tidbit about this game. It has nothing to do with the game, But I'm on a text thread right now with a bunch of friends. I suppose a lot of our listeners are on a similar thread, where like it's a bunch of Big ten fans and in our case it's Penn State not playing.
Speaker 1: Who should we root for? What do we do now? What is what is the protocol?
Speaker 2: My suggestion was North Carolina because this team's going to be fun as hell on offense, they're getting better on defense, they got a coach that everybody likes. They're going to be a dog in a couple of games. If you don't want to feel like a front runner, sure, why not come to the altar Dan and worship at the feet of the one true God in college football?
Speaker 1: Chazz Surrat? What is with you? And Chaz with chuckles Surat? Okay, chas are after whom all Charlie's and Charles's will now be renamed Chaz for this season only. I'm going that we've had Daz. We have a Daz, We've got a Chaz. I'm great with it. We have a Diami. M hmm. I think North Carolina is a likable team. They're going in the right direction. We can talk about this game in the context of the Syracuse Orange, who seemed to actually have an offensive line that's healthy. I think after last year's kind of nightmare along the line of scrimmage, well here. First of all, North Carolina opened with a tight win last year, and Sam Howell's first game as a starter understandable over South Carolina. I think those games Jake Bentley got hurt in Syracuse comfortably shut out Liberty in their opener last year. The interesting thing to me about this game is Syracuse's new defense. Can they give Sam Howell a touch of confusion, give them, make them think about things for an extra second. Running that three three, five, A lot of new faces, though the secondary was I think it's fine, it's experienced. We'll see if that gets exploited over four quarters and North Carolina can run the ball back to what I sort of talked about earlier, like that, maybe a running game is more of an advantage than usual with a very a rhythmic twenty twenty offseason. So I'm gonna here's where I land with this and where I'm gonna land with a lot of these games. I'm gonna take the points. I am just I like going to play. I'm gonna grab the points. Syracuse doesn't have the depth, doesn't have the talent that North Carolina has, but this is essentially as deep as they'll be all season. And Week one is the week where nobody ever really is what they will become. And I think that's a good time for Syracuse to be getting North Carolina, whereas in Week five this could be a nightmare of an offense. So yeah, I think North Carolina wins by a couple of touchdowns, but Syracuse keeps it relatively competitive.
Speaker 2: In general, if you're in a pick'm pool against the spread, or even if you want to throw a few shekels down on the games. I think taking the points this year is going to be at a premium, I really do sure. And maybe at some point Vegas will catch on and then that will affect things in the other direction. But just so much uncertainty. You know, the last time these two teams played in Syracuse, I guess two years ago. It's a pretty wild game, four thirty seven. That was amid a really good season by Syracuse. Last year not so much. They're installing this new defense, which worries me going up against an offense that brings a lot back. Would you have understood the pun if I said that the Sam Howell, Dazz Newsome, Diami Brown triumvirate is the original research triangle for North Carolina.
Speaker 1: I know what the research triangle is. Yeah, it's the three towns. It's what Raleigh, Winston, Salem. What's the third that means Durham, right, I don't know. I'm just wondering if that would have research triangle. Yeah, I know what the research triangle is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But if I loaded that up in the pun gun and just fired it up and fired it out without telling you. Would that have been funny or no?
Speaker 1: Man, judging from what I anticipate the reaction will be from the listeners, right, there's no not fully no, no, no, I'm a little rusty too. Raleigh Durham Chapel Hill the nine county region officially named the Rollig Durham Carry Combined Statistical Area, but it's Raleig, Durham and Chapel Hill.
Speaker 2: All right, give me the points here. You're taking points as well. We both think that UNC is going to win the game though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tommy Defito situation, Tommy Defedo right yeah.
Speaker 2: Also at high noon, Louisiana on the road at number twenty three Iowa State. The point spread here is eleven and a half. This game's on ESPN. Originally they're going to have fans at this one, Dan, but then they nixed that plan just a few days after they announced it.
Speaker 1: I guess one week ago on Monday.
Speaker 2: A lot of folks gonna look at this point spread and be very confused because it feels like Iowa State has been good the last couple seasons. They should be a bigger favorite, right, Well, Louisiana and Billy Napier won eleven games last year. This is a good football team. They've got a good offense with a sweet lefty quarterback.
Speaker 1: Which we love.
Speaker 2: A lot of guys, Levi, right, Levi, that's right, Yeah, a lot of guys back on both sides of the football.
Speaker 1: So I would not.
Speaker 2: Sleep on Louisiana here. I'm really interested in the matchup, especially with Iowa State's defense, because that defense could be the one of the best in the Big Twelve. That interesting matchup to me is in this game between the offense and the defense. Not sure how I feel about Louisiana scoring on Iowa State, but I think that push pull, at least in that one side of the ball should be enough to keep this one relatively close for a good chunk of the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if you remember Iowa State with a disastrous start last year, I think it was Northern Iowa, where I think was eighteen sixteen, something not expected as a final result. Also something between these two schools common opponent last year, Louisiana, I guess the rage in Cajun's Louisiana Lafayette. I don't know what, I can never remember, but Louisiana edged out Louisiana Monroe Warhawks by one point in the Battle and the Battle on the Bayou. I believe Iowa State played Louisiana Monroe and beat him by fifty two, which you never see that in terms of like good teams each having a common opponent in that sort of stark difference in outcome. But you throw out those records in a rivalry game tie. Everybody knows this. Sure, Louisiana loses their defensive coordinator to Baylor, well regarded Ron Roberts. Interested to see if Iowa State can run it any better than they were able to do consistently last year. I know bres Hall ran it well against Oklahoma, but they weren't great on the ground, and that's where Louisiana, I think is more vulnerable. So I think that's an interesting matchup. I'm going to take the Clones by a touchdown. I think we have a slow starter of a season once again, but they they managed to win this game, so I'm gonna take the points once again. We agree once more.
Speaker 2: Ultimately, this is a game won by Breese Hall and Rock Purty taking advantages of mismatches at tight end with Chase Allen and Big Chas Kohler.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, they've got some good tight ends also, like guys in the defense. Levi Lewis last year against conference opponents finished I think in like number twenty four in the country in terms of pass efficiency and overall finished got like top twenty. So you know what we've got. He can play, We agree. Okay.
Speaker 2: So here's where it gets weird because I don't have a point spread for Eastern Kentucky at West Virginia.
Speaker 1: So just give me something you want to see from West Virginia to make yourself like they should at least be doing this against a not terrific Eastern Kentucky squad. They should be getting more out of their running game. Yeah, they got to run the ball against KU for sure.
Speaker 2: Jared Deggi is back at quarterback, and they've got a bunch of guys who are returning at the skill positions, including Brown great name is running back and then three sophomores out wide and Sam James and Bryce Ford, Wheaton Winston Wright junior name.
Speaker 1: I love TJ.
Speaker 2: Simmons going to be back in the slot. So I look to see the offense as a whole improve. I think they got a nice little surge out of Deggi when he came in towards the latter half of last season. But if I'm focused on one thing here, I think they win. But if I'm focused on any one thing in this game and moving forward, it's going to be that running game.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They lost fifty nine to nothing last week Eastern Kentucky to Marshall. Last year they lost forty two to nothing early on to Louisville on the road, and they had an okay season. I think they ended up winning six or seven games. But yeah, let's just see an impressive West Virginia when they really really should be. That's all I have.
Speaker 2: Moving on two thirty on NBC, let's play it. Get that old NBC theme music going for Duke at number ten.
Speaker 1: Notre Dame. Notre Dame a twenty point favorite.
Speaker 2: Here Dan, wait for the guitar there, it is twenty point favorite. I did the.
Speaker 1: Duke preview last week. I was very skeptical.
Speaker 2: There is a lot coming back for them, though, and I do is that like good. I do really shut up. I do really like the defense. They got killed by Notre Dame last year thirty eight to seven. Now now they're on the road, new quarterback Chase Brice coming up from Clemson. Like, there's a lot of push pull there. On one hand, I like that, there's a lot coming back. On the other, I don't like anybody on the road opening week, especially amid circumstances, especially against a good team that's going to control the trenches and throw, on top of that a new quarterback, Like too many factors. This would be a game where I would I would consider laying the point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Duke's offense was nightmare bad last year. This is a new year, this is a new situation. But they didn't score thirty points in the second half of the season once. Now we can say, well, maybe Chase Bryce will make a difference. I suspect he will not. That is my suspicion. Interested for Notre Dame to see who steps into bigger roles, especially out wide. You mentioned a number of the names in our acc preview about guys who could step into the sort of Cole Comet, Chase Claypool. That's who ian book tended to lean on last year. Right, Yes, big moments, downfield stuff. So interested to see who steps into those roles, I suppose, and who really takes control in the backfield running the ball. And if they're a team that with continuity on the coaching staff, even though they have a new offensive coordinator, they promoted from within with tom and Tommy Reese is Ian book an exception to the rule of it's going to take some them in this very made up scenario that I have in my mind. I hope so, because it'd be nice to have a Notre Dame team come through against a Power five opponent and set the stage early on and get for that Clemson game. Speak you of Notre Dame. I have Notre Dame covering here.
Speaker 2: By the way, Okay, I'm going to take points because I always take points against Notre Dame. But okay, speaking of the Irish. When I did the Notre Dame preview a week ago, boy, howdy did I whiff on like eight fronts?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What's going on with you? Not going on? Man? I know, but this is in Notre Dame. Is your team. I know it was bad.
Speaker 2: It was bad, but I would say, get used to new starting running backs Kyen Williams and Chris Tyree.
Speaker 1: They're one and two in the.
Speaker 2: First depth chart that was released, and your wide outs at least for the moment are going to be Bennett's Scornic Brayden Lindsay and Lawrence Key.
Speaker 1: Is the third Larry Keys.
Speaker 2: I like Notre Dame to win. I'll take pins because they always take points here. But Notre Dame is in a good spot. They could control both sides.
Speaker 1: Of the line.
Speaker 2: That should be to their strength this season. And they also have a lot of veteran leadership coming back, which I think amid everything, like maybe they're installing a quasi new offense now that Tommy Reesis is on hand to save us all. I think, by and large, their veteran leadership should get them through a lot of that rusty stuff that we're.
Speaker 1: Going to see folks dealing with around college football. So, and Lou Holtz just received the Medal of Freedom. So the universe smiling down on Notre Dame. Right, Okay?
Speaker 2: Moving on three point thirty Georgia Tech at Florida State on ABC twelve and a half points to the favorite are the Knowle. So this is a game. This game here, this one between two Power five teams, I think is the one that I am the most interested in.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, okay, how do you feel about this one? Well? I definitely think and I don't know if you have the sound at the ready, but Georgia Tech, for sure, both this week and for the rest of the season, hopefully has some acc toilet snake potential. Thank you, go on. You were pretty quick on that, Okay, mostly because of their defense. Their defense was not terrible in year one, which was to be expected given Jeff Collins's background developing or helping to develop defenses and identifying defensive coaching talent. Florida State is not great, but they should score points. There's enough talent on that offense. The offensive line I know has been a disaster these past few years. I think, Man, I'm going out on limb here. I think they can go from disaster to below average by the time the season completes. Yeah, they should be able to score points. To me, so it's hard for me to see Georgia Tech keeping up. So I have Florida State barely covering. You said it was about a twelve points twelve and one half, okay, So I have them winning by a couple touchdowns something like thirty four to seventeen twenty somewhere in there. So you're taking Florida State to cover yeah, I'm gonna give those points. Yeah, I am interesting. Georgia Tech is still not good, and I actually have a fantasy thing tied to Georgia Tech. I don't know if you want to get into that now, Oh I do?
Speaker 2: You know I do, But let me just throw this out there please. Tech brings just about everybody back on defense, yep, and we know that that's where Jeff Collins really thrives. I don't know if they'll be thriving in week one of a or week two excuse me of a COVID adjusted season, but I do think we'll see market improvement on that side of the football for Tech. I would also posit that Florida State, in their first depth chart is very young, very young. The reaction over at Tomahawk Nation was basically that it doesn't matter who you are, what you did last season, you got to come to play and earn it, which is, speaking of fantasy.
Speaker 1: Things, a very very new coach thing to do to earn your spot. But I'm actually gonna go opposite side here.
Speaker 2: I think Florida State's better. They should win this football game, but I'm going to say something like thirty four to twenty four. I think tax is able to keep it within the number.
Speaker 1: Okay, interesting they got destroyed last year with that's game one of the Jeff Collins era by Clempson. That's Clemson, that's not Florida State. The fantasy thing I was going to talk about was is a second year coach not a first year coach looking back on the first year. And this sort of falls in line with the strength coach fantasy thing from way back when where the strength coach is. I don't know what they were doing last year. I don't know what was going on. There is that element to second year coaches writing off year one of like we were just learning how to crawl and now it's time to walk. We barely cracked open our playbook. We're just we had to reteach them football. And I saw that from I think Scott Sadderfield and talking about the playbook and how we just had to start from square. They didn't know how to eat bread, and now year two is when, okay, they've learned how to eat bread and we are we're opening up that playbook in earnest Is this an official selection? Do I need to play the chime? You should play the Okay?
Speaker 2: So right, coach writing off year one as like, you know, just part of the process.
Speaker 1: We were just trying to put one foot in front of the other. Yeah, there's a lot of that from year two coaches right now, and that's fine. I probably would say the same thing if I were a year two coach.
Speaker 2: So the other one that I that I kind of panned over was coaches quote installing new system. Specifically, when it's referred to as installing a new system, that's a favorite.
Speaker 1: That's what it's called me. It's installation. That's the term.
Speaker 2: Three point thirty on FS one, Arkansas State the Red Wolves on the road at k State. Case State's a ten and a half point favorite. Here, Arkansas State has played a game, Oh yes, they have, thirty seven to twenty four.
Speaker 1: They lost on the road at Memphis. It feels like this is a game where it's weirdly close the whole way, does it not. Yeah, I mean I watched Kansas State's offense the back last year. I know they returned Skyler Thompson for the forty third straight season, but there are a couple of potential dudes. But I think they have a problem problem. As I've mentioned before that they don't have enough dudes with the ball who are legit pro problems UH to really make a mark in the Big twelve right now. Eventually, I think they probably will, but Arkansas State doesn't necessarily have that. But they've got a good, experienced quarterback Lane Hatcher lit it Up, did a really nice job as a freshman last year. They popped some big plays, and Kansas State gave up a bunch of those last year through the air. So I don't know if that's a meaningful matchup because Kansas State still has a talent advantage here, but Kansas State's new along the offensive line, somewhat new along the defensive line, and in the secondary. I think you're right. I think we agree. I think Kansastate pulls this out. But I'm I'm just wagering with the weird. So yeah, give me, give me k State by five. Here's the thing about this game. I have no real level of analysis to provide. There's nothing I could say here that would illuminate the discussion but much. But I'm gonna talk anyway because they ignore everything but after the butt. Yeah, yeah, that's correct. But I'm gonna talk anyway because it's my show. Yeah, much the.
Speaker 2: Way that I rely on the occult forces of who wants to play this bowl game more when it comes to bowl seasons and bowl picks. I'm looking at this game and I'm just going to say Arkansas State has less rust right now. They've played a game. We know that they can play offense. KSE State, we expected a step back season, right, I mean, this was pretty common knowledge when we went through the previews.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're talking about year two KSE State, you know, and losing what they've lost, and you're also losing a defensive coordinator that you know. They just they're not tailor made to make a leap in year two.
Speaker 2: I like, I like Chris Climbing, but I think they are prone to a step back season. So ten and a half points, I think they win, but I think it's like a four point win. Yeah, it's like a four point win here.
Speaker 1: So I'm going to take Arkansas State the Red Wolves cover. Moving on four PM.
Speaker 2: Speaking of teams that played already, we've got Austin p at Pitt on ACC Network. A bit of a different circumstance here, because Pitt's got a really good defense, like maybe one of the top three or four defenses in all the acc very very good. Took a while, took a while to get there under Paton Ardoozy, but I think it's there. The question that I have is how much can Austin p really score? Like Pitt's gonna win this game, but to what degree is the Pitt defense gonna show up and lock down.
Speaker 1: I don't have a lot of thoughts about this game time. I just don't. Jamley Klyman's not playing because he opted out of the season, and he was looking like he is a special player for the Pitt defense. I don't have a lot of thoughts. I'd like to see some impressive work from the Pit offense if I'm gonna feel decently about the Panthers season.
Speaker 2: Speaking of fantasy things, can I just on a whim draft please? Paton Ardoozy wearing his mask incorrectly?
Speaker 1: Oh that's a great candidate. Yeah, yeah, he is. He has it on his nose, but not his mouth. He has his mouth, but on his nose. It's upside down. It does a Pit logo, but it's upside down. I mean, I have a number of mask fantasy things if you really want to dive deep right now, because I don't have a lot to say about. What's the governors of Austin p announcers awkwardly fumbling over and phrasing unavailable players due to Covida. I think that's going to happen. I mean it's already happened on this show. Yeah. Oh, it absolutely has creative mask messaging on the sidelines. Maybe a Reggie Bush area code, maybe messages I'll aah, Jeff hornseck to love ones. Maybe unapproved corporate logos, random players wearing a Polario mask. Political messages, political messaging that's not been necessarily approved by the school. Turnover masks. Ty, come on, I saw many Diaz talking about turnover masks. What are the turnover partition? Yeah, I don't know what that is. I don't know what that is, but I think we're gonna have some weird, uh, some weird situations. I have TV catching fans not abiding by mask and distance regulations and announcers awkwardly joking before realizing they should apologize about joking about stuff like that, Like we're doing right now, right, I have that down there. A team surprisingly rises from a cancelation list, like we wake up and BYU has scheduled cal due to some technicality, cal is now randomly playing somebody sneaking in an amazing cardboard cutout. I don't know if that's purchasing or just bringing in if there's like a half and half situation, a combo situation of in person fans and cutouts and ran in places. Those are those are my big ones right now that I'm looking forward to this year. All right, Yeah, those are pretty good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I do think that turnover partition. I don't know what that means, but I like the way it sounds.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the broadcast element this season is gonna be nuts. Like you were probably a year or two early on your selection of a sudden broadcast catastrophe. Oh yeah, you know, we're gonna have guys who are broadcasting remotely more than ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna have somebody. I don't know what the broadcast situation is. I think it varies by networks and region whatever. We'll probably have a situation like Adam Amean unintentionally had where Mac Brown just left the booth in the fourth quarter a few years ago. Yeah, we'll have a situation where I don't know what they'll do. Are they gonna use backup play by play guys, gals, if somebody tests positive the day before for somebody local, or you're talking about the announcers testing positive, I'm talking about the announcers testing positives. They're traveling to games and they test positive at the hotel. Wow, because it could call the Tom when the Tom Brenneman thing happened with the Cincinnati Reds and that wasn't a health thing, but they had a backup announcer ready. I don't know if he was the radio guy. I don't know. He's a minor league guy that happened to be there. But what's going to happen is somebody's just going to be dialing in remotely all of a sudden. I think it'll be interesting, all right, Like Adam means calling the NFL. What if Adam is called upon on a random Friday morning because another Fox person can't call the game, and now Adam's calling it remotely. I think it's all on the table.
Speaker 2: Hm. Okay, Well, more fantasy things to come and we'll correct.
Speaker 1: But he stays healthy. Please, No, we're fingers across it. Everybody's safe and practicing safe things for sure.
Speaker 2: For those new listeners to the show, we do a thing called the window of opportunity. We like to play the old Windows two thousand sound to signify that, But basically, the way it works in normal circumstances is we look at the full slate of games in a given week, and then we pick out the moments where you can go out and be a normal human being.
Speaker 1: If you've got an errand you need to run, or if something with your significant other can't wait and you need to schedule it appropriately so that you can do what you gotta do, but at the same time not miss the bulk or the story or the theme of a given college football week. That's the window of opportunity.
Speaker 2: You could argue that the whole season this year is a bit of a window of opportunity and not going to go there with this.
Speaker 1: Well, as an organ fan, I'm listening.
Speaker 2: I think as it relates to this specific college football week, anything in the nightcap qualifies as window of opportunity. I'm looking at a bunch games that are going to be incredible blowouts here, Dan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's just not that they're going to be blowouts. It's that we don't have two interesting teams playing. I have I have a good amount of interest in Western Kentucky Louisville. So I think that's it. It's not interesting because I think the outcome is necessarily in doubt, but because Western Kentucky last seen as the team who I think it was. People looked at it as funny when they beat Arkansas. But Hilltoppers are good. Hilltoppers are good team. They made a really nice defensive jump last year, and I think now they now start Tyrrell Pigram, Maryland transfer at quarterback. Learned his nickname is Piggy T, which I'm all in. Okay, that's that's the one exception to me, belso, because I get tos see McHale, McHale, Yeah, mckabe by the way, Yeah. Blunk of the Week eight pm.
Speaker 2: Western Kentucky on the road at Louisville.
Speaker 1: Louisville.
Speaker 2: Louisville's a twelve point home favored on ACC network. His team's played last year. Louisville won by a seventeen point margin after being up twenty four at half. Yeah, twelve points is far too few. I don't care how good Western is. I don't care if Piggy T is their quarterback. I am riding with Mikhaial Cunningham and the boys. Louisville's got a ton coming back. I think they're going to be loaded for bear here and I think they're going to win by at least two touchdowns over Western, So first lock of the year Louisville minus twelve. Give it to me, all right.
Speaker 1: I mean another team that depended on the pass a lot. So if that's somewhere you're falling that this is going to be a slow start for teams that passed the ball around and depend on passing yardage for success. Though Javian Hawkins really good at running back. Uh, I think I agree with that because I think the best player on the field is McHale and can affect so much. So yeah, I'm going to roll with eventual cover but a scare for two and a half quarter, so you're not going double barrel locked of the week or now. Piggyts is a name that's too fun to say for me to pick against them enthusiastically.
Speaker 2: Some other games in the nightcap here, We've got at seven pm Missouri State at Oklahoma. At seven point thirty. We've got number one Clemson, a thirty three point road favorite at Wake Forest That one's on ABC at eight pm. We've got UTEP at Texas. Texas is somehow a forty three point favorite. There's a really big number on a week where there aren't that many big numbers. That one's on Longhorn Network eight pm. Also, we've got Houston Baptist at Texas Tech on ESPN Plus.
Speaker 1: And then the Late Lake game for those.
Speaker 2: Of you folks out there with insomnia, Coastal Carolina at Kansas. Kansas is a seven point home favorite ten pm Eastern on FS one Dan. Any of those games of particular or interest to you.
Speaker 1: We got Bobby Patrino back in the mix, and Bobby Patrino being back nothing moves the needle to dramatically for me of these games. I hope Texas tex stays healthy on offense. I hope we get to see some big new names from Texas worked into both sides of the ball. They've recruited pretty well on both sides. And I hope Kansas doesn't lose to Coastal Carolina. That'd be a bummer more less miles ranting about China to come. Perhaps if that happens, great, Yeah, let's just hope Kansas wins.
Speaker 2: I gotta say that that Kansas game. Originally, when I jotted down the point spread, it was three and a half, and I'm looking at it thinking, Oh, what does Vegas know about this game that I should know other than the fact that it's Kansas playing? What did they know about this game to make it a field goal? And then I checked back and now it's up seven, and I can't get out of my head that it used to be three and a half.
Speaker 1: I could have bought a beach house. Ti, I know you could have had yourself a beach house on coastal Carolina. Perhaps, Yeah, that's true. So I'm really conflicted here. I will go Kansas, So I will go less miles. I'm not even going to pretend to give you a reason for this game. Yeah, how do you feel about the Thursday game? It's been a long time since I've been able to watch Derek King play football, so I'm excited about that.
Speaker 2: We generally will do the Thursday game last because we dropped this show early on a Wednesday, and only a small percentage of people will have an opportunity to listen before kickoff. But it's UAB on the road at Miami, Miami about a two touchdown favorite Thursday, eight pm on the ACC Network. I am excited to see dearick King. This is another one where the line seems kind of low, but I'm just so wish you watch she on any kind of points spread right now. Outside of the Louisville game, of course, sure, but deerk king out there. The Miami defense another year under Manny Diaz, new offense that we'll get a chance to test the medal of rhtt Lashley.
Speaker 1: Your boy, you know you love RHT Lashley.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I you know Miami wins this game, point spread kind of goes out the window a little bit. But Thursday night will be fun to watch college football.
Speaker 1: For sure. Plazers almost assuredly had the number one Conference USA defense last year. This is not this is a bowl caliber team. This is not a nothing team, so we could have some entertaining football Thursday night. I'm good with that they won won nine games last year.
Speaker 2: U ab right, yeah, all right, And the only other games that I have here, just to be complete and mention the other three. We've got Charlotte at app State Saturday high noon, p two. App State a healthy favorite there by seventeen we've got Citadel at USF at one pm on ESPN Plus, and then at one point thirty we've got Louisiana Monroe on the road at Army Army, a seventeen point favorite, that one on CBS Sports Network, Dan, how will you do me a favor?
Speaker 1: Yes? Please, I have looked up the future schedules of the Patriot. We are so sad, so sad. We might need to come up with a new bit now that we can't do drum and fife. I will not well, I will not put drum and fife on another conference. I know I'm saying we need a new bit, entirely new bit. I know. All right, we'll review some things. We'll do like Delaware high school football if they haven't canceled. Yeah, we'll come up with something. But man, miss your Calgate, missyr Fordham, Missy Georgetown, we'll be together against So please do right in. We are open mind.
Speaker 2: Did suggestions are welcome for how we can approach this now, But there's a gaping hole at the end of the podcast where we would typically play. This brings a tear to my eye.
Speaker 1: They're playing football in Alaska. High school football in Alaska. If you want to get super into it. We need to put our heads together. We should have been more prepared, Yeah, we should have. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Solidverbal at gmail dot com is the email right in, let us know what we should do here.
Speaker 1: You're taking West Valley or North Pole? Got to go north Pole?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: I go West Valley because I'm from the West Valley. I'm from Northampton. You are from So we disagree. We'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, right in again, solid verbal at gmail dot com and call in four eight verbal one. That is our reverb line. Again, that's the reaction line. Call in, leave us a voice message.
Speaker 1: We will cut those up.
Speaker 2: We will play them on the Sunday recap show that will drop after the conclusion of of week two.
Speaker 1: As it were, Yes, that's all I got, d That's all I got. Yes, obviously. Who are you watching games with? Are you cooking anything? What's your watch situation this weekend?
Speaker 2: It looks like it's going to be about seventy five degrees and Sonny on Saturday, I would love to test out some sort of setup outside on the patio. Great, I don't know what you have, but now I don't have anything set. But that's just kind of a working idea at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just watching here. Oh, friendly reminder to sign up for the newsletter of Intent. The first one's going out this week. The first one's going out this week. And I promised to. We've done shows for twelve years and we get people emailing all the time. We get a ton of emails. And then I gave out a very basic salsa recipe and we have been inundated with what's the recipe again? What do you I want to make salsa? And so I'll put that very basic salsa recipe in the newsletter of Intent this week. I just can't respond to every single person who asks for the recipe because it has literally been dozens and dozens of people asking for the salsa recipes. So I'll put that in the newsletter of Intent. You can sign up at soliverble dot com. Correct tie correct, yup. Okay, So that's going out this week. Awesome.
Speaker 2: Well, we are excited to have you with us as we embark on this new season. We will be back when Friday.
Speaker 1: Correct. We have a new theme ooh, a new weekly theme episode. Does it start up this week or is it next week? This week? We're doing it this week, cancel your plans. Tie.
Speaker 2: More to come on that front. As Dan said, sign up for the newsletter, subscribe to the podcast for all of our episodes as they become available, and if you want up to the minute updates, you can always subscribe to any of our social media channels.
Speaker 1: I would just say for the third show, Tie, because we do our preview and recap show. I'm just telling people, you know, they have a limited time in their podcast diet. I'm just gonna say, save some space for this one. Well, not that that's what we call a teas in the business. Yeah, save some space all right, for that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Ty Hildenbrandt, thank you so much for downloading, for listening, for subscribing.
Speaker 2: Hope you enjoy week one. We will hope you enjoy week two. We will talk to.
Speaker 1: You all soon. In the meantime, stay healthy and stay solid. Peace.