Speaker 1: Hey that folks. It is Saturday, March twenty first, and headlines and entertainment matters and pr matters have now given way to legal matters as the fallout continues from the cancelation of the Taylor Frankie Paul lead season of The bat Thurreat. With that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. Yes here on this Saturday. Yes, or Tomorrow's supposed to be a big premiere day for the bat Threat. That is not happening. And rode some of the headlines or one thing about the cancelation, And now we're starting to see some drips and drabs of maybe some legal matters starting to bubble up, including for her personally in terms of her family robes.
Speaker 2: Yes, a lot of people have been running to lawyers for some legal advice, as you predicted earlier. Yes, this is where the story turns next. And first, Yes, it is personal and painful for Taylor Frankie Paul because Dakota Mortensen, who was her ex, who is in that video, who she's now under investigation with for another domestic violence incident.
Speaker 3: Well, he went to court.
Speaker 2: We told you on Thursday when that video was released, asked a judge for a protective order and asked for sole custody of his son temporarily.
Speaker 3: Well guess what he got both.
Speaker 1: How old is this this one two years old?
Speaker 2: In fact, the video came out on Ever's second birthday, March nineteenth, and so he was with Dakota.
Speaker 3: He is staying with Dakota.
Speaker 2: And even worse, Babe, there's a hearing scheduled for April seventh. Taylor Frankie Paul cannot have contact with her son until then. The actual quote from the judge was, no parent time is allowed until the scheduled hearing.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's I mean, you could talk about the show all day long, robes, but that is a devastating blow for anybody. Yes, you could say this is all of her own doing and that's fine, but that's devastating and things are starting to pile up like that. But that's awful to here, and it's probably the right move, right. I don't know how anyone, I mean, a judge, this is what the judge is supposed to do, make this kind of a call. I don't know how it's anyone can kind of right now disagree with that. Yes, she lost temporarily.
Speaker 2: Two of the biggest shows on the planet right now, or at least temporarily, she's lost them, and almost certainly at least one of them has gone forever.
Speaker 3: And to now lose custody of her son.
Speaker 2: And I think just the idea that you can't even have supervised visits, you can't even lay eye on your son, because in that protective order that Dakota got, it is ordered now that Taylor Frankie Paul must stay one hundred feet away from Dakota, which includes his home, which is where her son is. And she also can't own any weapons. Those are the conditions of the protective order. And the temporary customers.
Speaker 1: Don't know what the judge saw, but the judge saw enough to think you're enough of a danger to another human being that you have to stay away. These things aren't taken necessarily lightly Romes. But a judge looked at evidence and found her to be a threat, but a network looked at her and did not. That's going to be another part of the story. And Rose, you just said something like she had two of the biggest shows. She's lost one for sure, Hashi is what's going to be my only question?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, I mean I think I'm just saying, God, how would they ever? But we pointed out and several articles that have been popping up over the weekend have also pointed out that in their official statement, in Disney's official statement, they said at this time when they talked about canceling or postponing the show, they put in the phrase at this time, and they talked about what's possibly probably.
Speaker 3: Going on behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: They A lot of folks believe that executives gave themselves a a possible life raft. If, for instance, the court decides in Utah not to pursue charges against Taylor Frankie Paul, if somehow other information comes out that makes her look better, or we can understand perhaps the context that she's been talking about, or if anything changes or shifts, possibly could they put this on in a later date.
Speaker 1: It was one of the first things. Yes, other people are writing about it now, but Robes we were in the middle of it and we were recording when this news came down and we saw that ABC statement, and it was one of the first things that jumped out. Yes, so those words did not have to be placed in there, but they gave themselves a possibility of still what Robes making their money back on this show that they are somebody's going to lose a lot of money on. Don't know who's going to sue whom and how that's going to work. But Robes to think that they make sure what were the three words at this time, at this time, those three words could save them tens of millions of dollars if there.
Speaker 2: There's any chance they want to keep that window cracked open.
Speaker 1: Okay, before you move on to the next thing, let me ask you on that point. She doesn't get charged on this second incident, what difference does it make in their decision to put.
Speaker 2: It on because they would possibly say that this happened three years ago.
Speaker 3: She has served her time. Her probation, I guess is up this summer.
Speaker 2: A court decided she did not either violate that probation or do anything wrong. And although it's toxic and messy, this is something we already knew about and we've seen her turn her life around.
Speaker 3: Okay that I mean, that's me just guessing what they could say.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, that is Okay, that's tough to say.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think there is a very small chance that that's going to happen.
Speaker 1: See, but now you're putting it out there. At least we've talked about it before we came on here. Now I am blown I just have to admit by I'm blown away of how much Disney ABC are willing to stand by someone who is a domestic abuser who has been proven. Now you can people do their crime, You do your time, and it's over. You can move forward. And that is fine. That again, they are not supposed to be you do your time, Broes. You shouldn't be denied a life of whatever dignity and ability to make money. It's just that this is the person we, as Disney, a family company, choose to stand by and to defend and to put on a pedestal someone who that behavior came out of fine, but for a family company, or to say, we're willing like all the people out there who don't have that video and that history and that background, and that the documented history of poor decisions in her love life, who doesn't have a documented history now of domestic violence that we actually saw they had other options for them to triple quadruple down and still stand next to her. Given I just I am money is it Robes? That doesn't make sense?
Speaker 3: Money and trying to save face.
Speaker 2: If there's any chance for them to say, see, it wasn't she wasn't that bad.
Speaker 3: It wasn't as bad as you thought.
Speaker 1: Okay, So now their reputation is they're banking it on her reputation getting better. So that's what's gonna make Disney look better is if everybody looks at her and thinks, oh, okay, she turned her life around and we have better context. Now. Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 3: That's what that was the only thing I could think of that.
Speaker 2: There's yes, it's mostly money, obviously, but there is reputation as well.
Speaker 1: I robes. The part I'm blown away by is the reputational part. They already know what their reputation is. Why, okay, let's get past that they picked her. I'm going now, with all this out, Why haven't they distanced themselves. Why haven't they come out and said that is a boring behavior your Why holy hell, they haven't said that? Oh shit to me? I mean, wait a minute, we missed it somewhere.
Speaker 3: No, they haven't. They are leaving the window open for them to error.
Speaker 1: Have they not condemned what we saw in the video? No, wait a minute, do you have.
Speaker 2: Their statement ENLiGHT the recent development.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, baby, No, no, I'm missing so we gotta go look this that I'm missing something. There is no way they have not come out and said domestic violence is bad.
Speaker 3: No, this is what they said.
Speaker 1: Oh we miss something.
Speaker 3: No, this is their only statement.
Speaker 1: There's no way.
Speaker 3: This is their only statement. This is their only statement. Wait now I have a okay, right when I pulled it up.
Speaker 1: But you get what I'm saying here. No matter what, no matter who you are, we all looked and saw that even if you're a family member of hers, even if you're the greatest supporter of hers, you could still support her and say what we saw in that video is awful. Nothing like that should ever ever happen again. But to so, why then what's the calculation there?
Speaker 3: Robes, it's there. They're giving themselves an.
Speaker 1: Option to not even condemned domestic violence.
Speaker 2: But they're giving themselves the option until they actually see what the court decides. They are giving themselves an option. So that's where they are, and they have not at all condemned the video.
Speaker 1: Okay, that is uh. And again I guess if you all haven't noticed, as we're sitting here. That has come not as news to me necessarily, but I'm just getting that realization right now that I had not had before this, that they have not done done. So, look, they are leaving room rogues. We talk about tens of millions of dollars, whatever it is that's possibly on the line. What is it worth, what's the reputation worth? And time will pass? Will it not row? If they survived all kinds of scandals on this show, they will continue to do so.
Speaker 2: In light of the newly released video just service today, we have made the decision to not move forward with the new season of The Bachelorette at this time, and our focus is on supporting the family.
Speaker 3: Period. That is the only thing that came out of Disney, ABC, Hulu period.
Speaker 1: They can do what they want.
Speaker 3: That is done.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm okay. They don't have to, they don't need I don't understand that in the least bit. So they have not condemned what we've been talking about this baby, Why do we see violence when it's coming from a woman towards a man so differently. It's almost bubblegum the way it's been treated in these conversations. She went on Gma, what do you want to say about this thing, this domestic violence thing. Well, you know, it's been kind of heavy. I just want to get through it. You know, it's a big sciting time for me. What are we talking about, baby?
Speaker 2: Well, if you're annoyed by that, you, I mean, look, we've got some word about just confused what some of the what some of the contestants are considering who were going to be featured and showcased on this season twenty two. But we also heard from the man rumored to be the final Rose recipient and from several of the other contenty Dougie.
Speaker 3: Yes, Doug Mason, and he said this is what his reaction was.
Speaker 2: He actually made a video after the video was released and said, I'm just sending out prayers to Taylor because that was her moment and her moment was blocked. All we can do right now is just be hopeful. I'm headed off to run to watch the sunrise. I hope you guys have a great day and let's stay positive and show nothing but support for people in need.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's you should. You should support the people in your life that you love, that you know, even when they're they've done wrong. And when they're having a hard time. Yes, I can't disagree with that rooms, but he was the only.
Speaker 2: One who gave a specific shout out of support to Taylor. The rest of them, obviously the people in their lives knew that they were on the show. They couldn't say how they did or how far they got, so a lot of the men were just online saying I'm doing okay, hope to share more soon, thanks to everyone who's reached out. Everyone's like, I appreciate everyone reaching out, grateful for the experience. So they all kept things The other men who put things on social media kept things very generic, very positive, very hopeful.
Speaker 3: Doug was the only.
Speaker 2: One who specifically supported and defended in a way Taylor.
Speaker 1: I get it, I get her friends and her family. They should embrace her, with her arms around her and help her. She I'm sure she's having a terrible time. I'm sure she's feeling awful right now. And I just I'm just confused. I'm just it's just, you know what robes is just and I get it. It's okay. There are different rules with different folks with different looks. But if Rachel Lindsay had thrown three metal chairs at a guy on film. Okay, that's just it. It's nothing you can ever does. It's okay, they're different rules, but it's it's happening, and she should be supported. I'm just saying other people who who have difficulty and have had difficult times don't get. What I am noticing now is Disney putting their arms around someone who's domestic abuser. And it's just it's because she looks the way she looks. They would have put their arms around a man who had been accused of anything remotely related to domestic violence. But I just I need somebody to say I'm genuinely saying this. I want somebody to say to me, TJ, it's different. Let us explain why domestic violence is different for man different for a woman. Okay, and tell me why because of that difference, we as a society and we as a company don't mind embracing, holding up, cherishing, helping supporting a woman who has been accused of and even has a guilty plea having to do with domestic violence. I'm genuinely robes. I'm not outraged. I'm genuinely trying to understand and this is a very difficult story for me to get my head around. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and they have obviously made the choices they've made so far in their support and slightly distancing themselves but leaving room open for the relationship to continue. But there is more legal action that could be headed ABC, Disney, even Warner Brothers way, because not all of the contestants had nice things to say about their experience or at least are happy and positive about the turn of events.
Speaker 1: All right, we're continuing here on Amy and TG. I can't get that image out of my head now, Rachel Lindsay throwing a chair, right, Rachel, love you, But I didn't need that image in my head, of course. Rachel Lindsay was the first black bacheloreat Juri herself. My goodness, I was twenty sixty. Oh, my goodness, that was such a long time ago now, But what's next? World, We knew this was probably going to get into the courts fairly soon.
Speaker 2: Nothing official yet, nothing official yet, and we don't have the names. But look, TMZ has broken this story wide open from the beginning. They're the ones who got their hands on the video, released it and certainly have been on top of the reporting. So one of their latest reports now says that five of those male contestants who were competing for a rose from Taylor are now considering you who predicted it legal action against ABC and Warner Brothers Discovery that's the company that produces the show, because they say some of these.
Speaker 3: Men quit their jobs, they put their lives on.
Speaker 2: Hold in the anticipation and expectation that they would get a big boost in visibility, in marketability, in basically an ability to make money based on their social media profiles by being on this show. They gave up other opportunities, They gave up jobs, they gave up whatever livelihood to be on the show with an expectation that the show would air.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's on you, Pleia. If you came into this thinking it was an opportunity for you to make money, to gain clout or get more followers, you weren't there for the right reason anyway. Some would say, well, TJ, of course, that's the only reason people go on reality shows now, But why is it? Robes is it? We were caught up in it for so long because we were at GMA and dealt with it for so long. I thought we'd be jaded. But it's the opposite for me right now, because of this, I am disappointed because the show did kind of lend itself to fantasy, to love, to possibility, to this adventure of finding love that was kind of authentic, that everything about her casting flies in the face of And now that you let me see that last episode of season four of Secret Lives, we were bamboozled.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you know, you and I do like watching these relationship reality shows ninety Day Fiance, etc. But you're actually looking at people and you may question the motives of why people want to be with each other, but this is a legitimate couple trying to get married. And whether or not they're trying to get married to come to the United States is something.
Speaker 3: You get to figure out.
Speaker 2: But at least you're watching an authentic situation unfold versus a manufactured situation unravel, which is what I think now they're looking to try and do in a lot of these shows. Because even Rachel Lindsay, as you mentioned, yes she ended up getting divorced recently, but she married, Yes, she.
Speaker 3: Married her final rose guy, Like, this is something that we saw, and we have seen plenty. There are babies that have been born.
Speaker 1: Yes, there are even our guy who they ended up breaking up, But Matt and Rachel went on for quite a while five years ago in that relationship, so it's legit. But to your point about these guys, if they're upset now they want to sue because hey, the show didn't air, I think there might be things in there that they don't have an argument there necessarily, come on, you did you but nobody told you to quit your job?
Speaker 2: Correct, And I don't think that's going to be an argument that could potentially hold up. But the other one perhaps could. The other argument is and part of the reason why many legal experts believe some of these men could sue because they can claim that ABC and Warner Brothers put them in an unsafe work environment, aka in intimate settings alone with Paul, the fantasy suite, vacations, bringing her home to your parents, you know, all of that stuff.
Speaker 1: So when I read the word intimate, it hit differently.
Speaker 2: Yes, a lot of times I don't know what happened in this season, but a lot of times the contestant, whoever the bachelor or bachelorette is, has sex with these men and women. Yes, So now you're assuming you're operating under the I think reasonable belief that a company like Disney has vetted the person who you are with.
Speaker 1: You put it in their hands. I'm sure you sign all kinds of shuff they sign the way and waiver for this and whatever it may be. But even short of robes sex, when you say intimate, we are in private settings, I actually have this woman in my home with my mother, with my little niece, with who knows what it may be. You all allowed me to bring this firecracker into my safe setting. That's not fair to them. That might be a legitimate argument robes. And also it should be noted Rose there's no way, and I think it has to be the case. These guys, it's not like they found out, Oh Taylor Frankie Paul is going to be the new bats threat, let me go sign up. These guys didn't have a say in who they were handed.
Speaker 2: No, No, the process that wouldn't work if that were the case, because then you could see men try to manipulate the situation and figure out whether or not they wanted to do it based on who the contestant's going to be.
Speaker 3: That's not how it works.
Speaker 2: So yeah, they were they walked into it blind understanding that the show is what it is, but also expecting that the show was going to hold true to what it's bent, which is a show that's trying to find a relationship that lasts marriage material.
Speaker 1: And you put me in a situation, in an environment alone with a woman who was capable of this without getting my okay.
Speaker 2: Who also, as you absolutely knew because Hulu the Crossover.
Speaker 3: Had slept with her ex the night before she came on the show.
Speaker 1: Where do you only ask you about that? Yeah, it might staying, it might suck.
Speaker 2: Does it matter, Yes, because to me, that says you're not serious about the process. And now I've now put myself in a situation where I'm supposed to believe that this person is ready for love with another.
Speaker 1: As a viewer, as a contestant, As.
Speaker 3: A contestant and a viewer, I think both. I think both. It feels really really crappy.
Speaker 1: Well, it's I don't know, in the real world, the day before your first date with a new guy that you eventually have a relationship with, if the day before that date you had hooked up with your ex one last time, we don't have any right to it might sting, It might suck. But really, when you put in the real world, I mean, what right do I have to say what you did before we actually met or connected or started dating.
Speaker 2: Fine, but you didn't go like It's a little different when you're going into a show with the intention of finding love and you're still She's saying you're in love with your ex.
Speaker 1: She's trying to get it out of her system, get it out of the way. But that was hard to watch. If you will haven't seen I'm promoting a Disney show now, If you haven't seen the last episode of season four of Secret Lives and Mormon Wives, the day leading up to her leaving to go to shoot the Bachelorette, and then after she gets there, opes that phone call between the two of them, right before she gets out in front of ABC cameras to take the Bachelorette. You will go, wow, they really pulled one over on us.
Speaker 2: Yes, and if yeah, if you want full perspective about what's going on, watch that episode from start to finish.
Speaker 3: You will think.
Speaker 2: I guarantee you you will have a very formed opinion about Taylor, about Hulu, about Disney, ABC. You will have a very formed and informed opinion. Maybe in a way you don't now if you haven't seen that last episode.
Speaker 3: By the way, her Mormon Wives co stars.
Speaker 2: Two of them have spoken out. I wanted to get out because that was something new as well. Layla Taylor, We've actually met her and spoken with her. She's been open about abuse in her first marriage on this show, so she put up on Instagram when all of this came out and the Bachelorette was canceled, she said, my personal history as a survivor makes it impossible for me to stay silent. I stand firmly against domestic violence in any form. I am keeping her children in my thoughts, hoping for their safety above all else.
Speaker 3: She went much further than Disney did.
Speaker 1: Shit hard. That was as far it was as was needed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as a company, it was her friend.
Speaker 1: As a company, we stand against domestic violence.
Speaker 3: Of why would they not have put that disclaimer?
Speaker 2: Every single article, by the way, that you see written has a disclaimer about domestic violence. The only thing I've seen on this story that doesn't is the statement from ABC News.
Speaker 1: Sweetheart, that was a choice. Then tell me why it mattered. Help me understand why a company like that, why it mattered. What they didn't say now, in their estimation, it was smarter to not put it in there. Why is what I'm asking.
Speaker 3: Is then they'd have to acknowledge that they left up royally.
Speaker 1: But they can just acknowledge without saying anything domestic violence. We stand against domestic violence in any but if you say that, then why did you hire it?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: It's really tough and Miranda Miranda Hope also put this on her Instagram. She was in the Swinging scandal and admitted it with Taylor. She said, I've honestly been a little at a loss for words trying to process this all.
Speaker 3: Everything has been really heavy to see everyone likes that word heavy.
Speaker 2: Domestic violence and abuse of any kind is something I take very seriously as a human and especially a mother. I cannot support that kind of behavior. My heart is with the children, and I hope they're safe, supported and surrounded by love.
Speaker 3: So her two co stars.
Speaker 2: Who were friends with her, came out with much stronger language.
Speaker 1: Yeah, baby, you just blew my mind. Yeah, Disney ABC cannot publicly take a stand against domestic violence while also supporting her publicly. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: It's all like defending on you.
Speaker 1: Oh why Yeah, sweetheart, It's not a hard thing to say. And everybody's on the same page that domestic violence is bad, aren't we.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we can all collectively say that out.
Speaker 1: They refused to say they made a.
Speaker 3: Choice, because it's not just what they said, it's what they didn't say.
Speaker 2: You know, I think it is all now just landing how deliberate that was and how actually scary.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say something stupid right now. It's gonna be stupid. Just let me say it. Is there any chance it was an oversight? Do we need to leave room for They put the statement out and we didn't go through it that deeply or take it that seriously, And it was just thrown out and they didn't think about it as much as we are saying they gave it thought.
Speaker 3: To stand out higher pr team. I don't believe it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Disney will not stand up against domestic violence right now.
Speaker 3: They won't publicly state it.
Speaker 1: No, or they haven't, because if you do that, you could never let the show air. Correct Jesus Christ, I am naives elle. I am naive as hell. So we did not start this episode with me having that light bulb moment.
Speaker 3: We watched it all happen. I heard it all happen on the microphone.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're like, wait a minute, wait, wait a minute, wait a minute, this is landing.
Speaker 1: Now to what you're saying, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And then when you hear what her co stars had to say, it actually kind of brings it home even more.
Speaker 1: Right, I don't know what the next thing is. What happening on Monday? Something else?
Speaker 3: Well, no, she doesn't have a she doesn't have a hearing until April seventh.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh my word. All right, well, folks, what's in place? Where they airing? In place?
Speaker 2: On the American Idol rerun runs on Sunday this Sunday. Don't know what happens next Sunday, but I hear they might need some content.
Speaker 1: But I hear they have a show just sitting waiting to run as soon as she gets clear of this latest domestic bio investigation fresh crossed. All right, the folks, we appreciate you. I am sorry y'all had to go along this journey with me of oh wow, that so we should have led with that. Why don't you tell me ahead of time? Oh my god. They did not simply say we're against domestic violence in any form and with that, Folks, we appreciate you spending some time with us. I am a dumbfounded TJ. Holmes alongside my dear Emmy Robot will talk on me alltme