Speaker 1: You coming.
Speaker 2: Some of the content of Patriots Unfiltered may not be suitable for all audiences. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 3: The World's of Vigein podcast.
Speaker 4: Live from Patriots Training Camp. This is Patriots Unfiltered, presented by Toyota dot.
Speaker 3: Com Patriots Training Camp. This is the first day of full pads for the New England Patriots and we are brought to you by Toyota dot Com.
Speaker 5: Up your game by going to Toyota dot.
Speaker 3: Com to see the best selection of hybrid, all wheel drive and four wheel drive vehicles of any brand. Toyota is the official vehicle of the New England Patriots. Toyota Let's go places, all right, it's Paul, it's Fred, it's Deuce.
Speaker 5: Evan'll be here in a little bit.
Speaker 3: And we are above the practice fields at Gillette Stadium waiting.
Speaker 5: For practice to start. They're gonna be a little delayed this morning.
Speaker 3: We just were told by Stacy James, head of pr for the team. I guess they're going to start around ten thirty, so we'll be here, you know, keeping you to get your questions in keeping your company until that time. But today is the first day of full pads. They had an off day yesterday sort of a breather. There's certain rules I think in the NFL where you can't have more than five consecutive practices I think, and then you have to have a day off. So Wednesday was a day off. Now they're back at it for a lot of players. They've told us first full day of pads is really kind of when training camp practice starts.
Speaker 2: Sure, I mean it felt a little bit of a ramp up, I would say two days ago on Tuesday, where you felt like they were set in the stage for what's going to happen today. Some of the one on one stuff, running those drills with pads, they'll be contact. But you know, I just I like what Mike Brabel had to say about learning to play in the elements. You go back to that AFC Championship game, didn't make the critical mistake, held on and you know we're able to win that game. So be a good test, you know, good mental toughness some of these rookies. That's what I'm interested in. How do they look pads get on Caleb Lomu handling the physicality the NFL, Eli Raritan going in some blocking drills. I mean not usually what moves the needle. But I think first day of pads here, seeing how the rookies hold up with the physicality is a key point.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I would agree, And you get to see how they handle some of those elements. I would expect to see some red zone stuff, some running game stuff that you haven't really been able to work on as extensively when you're not in pads. So yeah, those kinds of tests, I think from a physical you know, you're already.
Speaker 2: Getting tested mentally.
Speaker 6: And I thought when Christian Gonzales spoke on Tuesday, my and he started talking about it was kind of like the first day of real camp. He's talking about the mental aspect because it was really humid that day, you know, first kind of training camp like weather.
Speaker 2: So you get those mental obstacles.
Speaker 6: Now you get the physical ones too, so it's always interesting to see how they handle both.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll see how the center quarterback exchange works out today, because, as you might have gathered from the background, it's a little bit of a dreary day here in Foxboro. We've had rain all day yesterday, rain all day this morning.
Speaker 5: Right now, it's just a light mist and from.
Speaker 3: What we're told by the weather reports, it's going to remain that way throughout practice, so they'll be out outside for the duration of practice. We're not looking at any torrential downpours or lightning or anything like that that could bring them inside.
Speaker 5: So they'll be out here. But it's gonna be wet, the field's wet, the ball's.
Speaker 3: Gonna be wet, and you know you need to practice in this kind of weather too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, super fans are out here, as you can see. They got the uh cut the tarps on and trying to stay dry but not too bad, not too cold. But this is always, you know, a great take. And I know you guys have talked in the past about this first day when it was a lot of times goal line and uh, you know Ted Johnson going against what Heath Evans or the you know, the fullback. Maybe I'm missing up my time frames there playing Gash Sam Gash. Yeah, I got a little ahead of myself there, but those are what I expect to see today. We know how much Mike Brabile preaches physicality, and I think this is part of, you know, establishing that team identity that he is you know, constantly trying to install with this team, And this is about mental toughness. You mentioned the snap spread, you know, smooth operation, wet ball. I mean remember the old days of Bill going around spraying the football with water. Well, you don't have to spray it today. You're gonna have your own challenges. So I think it'll be a real good test for these guys, uh, you know, mentally as well as physically.
Speaker 3: So even though it is the first day of pats, you think they'll be full speed?
Speaker 5: Probably not right. You don't think they'll be bringing guys to the ground today, right.
Speaker 2: Oh no, No, I don't think so.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't expect to see that in terms of like the you know, it's the first day of pads, so I don't. I think it's a little shorter, you know, and probably a little bit lighter in terms of the workload. You might see that ramp up a little bit tomorrow and and moving forward.
Speaker 2: I think they're going to be in pads.
Speaker 6: If last year is an indication, I kind of remember back once they got in pads, they were in pads for.
Speaker 2: A couple of at least three.
Speaker 6: Consecutive days, for consecutive days, So I would expect to see a similar thing Obviously they're always looking to improve on how they prepare, but I can't really argue much with how they prepared for the season last year, Freddie, you know, going fourteen and three.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, although they did lose the opening, a couple of losses came early on and all.
Speaker 3: The turnovers against the Steelers, so little administrative.
Speaker 5: Work.
Speaker 3: Gay Baccus is as we know, he's with the team, but we will not see him out there today.
Speaker 5: No, but Rabel in his press conference today said.
Speaker 3: He's advancing through the process and he's now with the Trainers, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, positive sign and closer than Harold Landry was what Mike Vrabel said. And I think, you know, with everything that's gone on this spring, I'm excited just to see gay Bachus get on the field because seeing what you saw from him in college, I think he's the kind of guy that's probably like kind of rare and to go and ready to get out there and do what he does. So it'll be exciting to see him if if he does get out there soon, especially with Pads. I think we talked our first show on Saturday, it'll be great to get him out here by today. Not quite gonna happen, but doesn't sound like he's too far off, So I think that's an encouraging sign. We'll see what he looks like when he gets out here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and yesterday we saw Charles Woods go off. Vrabel kind of downplayed that one said, he doesn't think it's anything too serious.
Speaker 5: Might have been cramps something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it could have been heat related.
Speaker 6: It's funny from watching the two injuries, Calton Davis being the other one, the two guys that left practice earlier, the two corners, I would have reversed it.
Speaker 2: I would have thought, you know, we'll see Davis because that's what he likes. We always see callin Davis. He's just always on.
Speaker 6: He's always limping and always dealing with something with his shoulder, but he just seems to always be there. And I didn't think Woods was as as significant. I mean, I thought Woods might be more significant, I should say. And now obviously Rabel said today doesn't really seem like there's a whole lot to worry about.
Speaker 2: Will so I expect to see Woods. I don't expect.
Speaker 6: He said, we won't see Carlton Davis.
Speaker 2: So you know what you're going to get from him as a veteran, so this has been an interesting spot, the depth at cornerback. We knew Charles Woods was a guy that stepped in last year on the outside when he had to to fill in a little bit. So I'm never opposed to if you're going to miss a veteran, hopefully not for long, of course, but if he's gonna miss a few practices, it's going to give a chance for a guy like Charles Woods to really get some good quality reps with the ones, especially here with pads on, So opportunity for him, opportunity for the team to continue to develop that depth that you're always going to need, especially at the cornerback position.
Speaker 3: Okay, you guys mentioned earlier you think they'll be in red zone today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think that's usually. I think red zone generally is early.
Speaker 6: Now I might be leading a little bit more on my muscle memory of Bill Belichick, who always had early padded practices were in the you know, filled with the red zone stuff. But I would just I mean, I think just think it makes a lot of sense red zone physicality in the red zone, running game kind of stuff, But in terms of tackling to the ground, I wouldn't expect to see much of any of that.
Speaker 2: I think it's a really important part for Mike variable in this team last year, I think both the red zone offense and the red zone defense, especially until the playoffs struggled. I think it's a point of emphasis this year that that's a tangible spot where they can be better, where it can make a huge difference in games. So I think it's I wouldn't be surprised. I mean, Paul, we you know, we joke on training camp there usually with Bill they were in the red zone like that was it. I mean it was like, man, it is red zone after red zone after red zone. But I think it's a good opportunity not only set the tone of physicality with the pads, but to stress the importance of getting you know, those stops that they made in the playoffs. I mean, you think about Marcus Jones making that tackle on Justin Herbert, the you know, the fourth down stop against the against the Broncos. Those are huge plays in those games that you know, really contributed to them going to the super Bowl.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So listening to some of Paul's shows by h well, you know, I have a long commute as you know, so I have a lot.
Speaker 2: Of time and the wait I was on one this morning.
Speaker 3: There's I think there's a good amount of consternation on the Drake may A J. Brown connection that it hasn't really clicked yet. What what do you guys think.
Speaker 6: Paul, I don't really have a lot of consternation, but it hasn't really clicked yet. Yeah, you know, but yeah I'm not. This is something I think Fred, you you teed us up just before the start of camp. You know some of the things that you'd be looking to see, and this was kind of one of the areas I was looking at. The overreaction to whatever happens with AJ Brown right go to or bad. I thought there was overreaction on the positive side in the spring, and now I think it might be a little litle bit of overreaction the other way. It hasn't been great. Both Brown and Dobbs to me, look like they're still learning what they're doing. And I think it's hard to play that way even if you're as talented as those two guys are, especially Brown, you know, I mentally productive receiver in this league. I think when you learning a new system. They both come from West Coast backgrounds. West Coast offense backgrounds, yep, which is different, you know, a lot different. We heard from Brian Hoyer a couple of years ago just how different the Josh McDaniels system is to that West Coast system. So that holds true for wide receivers too, So I'm not necessarily consternated. Yeah, but I definitely have noticed that it hasn't it hasn't clicked yet, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Not going to put it all on the receivers. Drake hasn't been you know, perfectly accurate. Yeah, yeah, I've seen.
Speaker 5: I've seen.
Speaker 3: You know, there was one over the middle to Brown where you know we overshot him. Uh So I think the quarterback needs to settle in as well, you know, with his accuracy. So I'm with Paul, I'm not there's no consternation on my part. I think both Dobbs and aj Brown are pros.
Speaker 5: You know, they'll get it. Yeah, I'll get it, they'll get it. Where I think that it's.
Speaker 3: Going to take time is in this type of offense, there's some decision making that has to.
Speaker 5: Be made by the receivers.
Speaker 3: It's not like that West Coast where everybody's got the route.
Speaker 5: It's kind of more.
Speaker 3: Rhythmic, you know, balls out of the hands of the quarterback really quickly.
Speaker 5: I think there's more thinking involved in this Josh McDaniel's offense.
Speaker 3: And I don't want to say that it'd tell you it's rocket science, but it just takes a little time. And I would say by next week, you're going to see an improvement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would hope. Yeah. And I like what you said, Fred. I mean, I think there were some throws that Drake missed. I think there were probably some where Dobbs or Brown weren't in the exact spot that he wanted him wanted them to be. And that's a work in progress. But you know, I do think it was a positive sign for me just to get that glimpse of Drake launching that bomb to Kaishan Boody, because that was what made Drake a superhero last year. His downfield accuracy, his connection you know with Kaishan Boody was on display last year. It's on display here in practice. So that is what is going to make this team be special. If Drake's able to continue to throw the ball down the field with accuracy, and you know, as Aj Brown and Dobbs hopefully learned to find the right spots and Drake gets warmed up, you can start rolling. But I think there's too much talent to really get worried over what three practices and a walk through they got time. But look, it's something everybody's going to be watching for no question, everybody. All eyes are on aj Brown and how can he elevate this offense? What level can he help them get to?
Speaker 3: You mentioned booty. I mean he's just doing what he does right. When he gets throwing the ball, he catches it. Yeah, yeah, So I don't know. I'm I'm beginning to think that this guy's going to be a New England Patriot in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty six, Well, you wonder where you know his head's at. And I mean he's, like Mike Fabel said this morning in the press conference. You know, he's been the same guy. He doesn't really say much. He goes out, he does his job. He catches the ball when it comes his way, even if it's a tough catch. So if you're Kayshan Boudy, do you look at this and say I got a good rapport with Drake? Maybe I won't get the volume that I'm going to need to really truly get that sizeable free agent contract that he might want next year. But at the same time, what's the guarantee if you do go somewhere else and you got to learn a new offense and you got to feel out a new quarterback, is that you know necessarily going to make a more productive somewhere else.
Speaker 3: I don't know, right, And how many quarterbacks have that touchdown field that can take advantage of Booty's talents.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, at the end of the day, the most productive twenty twenty six season for Kaishan Boudy very likely is going to come here in New England, even if it is in a you know, rotational kind of a role. And look, injuries happen all the time. It's not hard to see, you know, AJ Brown has a hamstring issue one week or something, you're going to be really glad you have Kaysehan Boody. So I got a lot of respect for how he's gone about it and just how he's progressed since he got here as a rookie. Yeah, we scheduled to hear from him today Booty. Yeah. Yeah, And I feel like.
Speaker 6: The way that Mike Vrabel answered the question is before we've came on the air, how has he been? You know, we've seen his production on the field, how has he been off the field?
Speaker 2: And he said exactly the same as last year.
Speaker 6: Very professional, and I think that that will remain as long as he feels like he's being dealt with.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I agree with Mike. In terms of injuries.
Speaker 6: We've been talking all off season about how fortunate the Patriots were with injuries last year. Well, maybe that's not the case this year. Who knows, who knows where it comes. If they get injuries, then I think that Booty's best solution is here. If there's no injuries, virtually any option would be more than thirty catches. So I can understand if he gets to the end of training camp and everybody's healthy. Yeah, and now he says, I did everything you guys asked me to do.
Speaker 2: You got to get me somewhere. Now, I don't know what he's going to say.
Speaker 6: I'm curious to see how he handles those questions. My guess is he's going to take a page out of Christian Gonzalez's playbook from Tuesday. He's not going to get into anything like that. He's just going to say, I'm here playing football. That's my only mindset, my only focus. Has proven that I'm one of the best receivers in his team. He's a very confident kid, and he's and he's carried himself that way for the last really three seasons, but especially the last the last two counting this year, you know, twenty five and twenty six. He's done everything that's been asked of him. And I wouldn't expect him to speak out of turn today either. But if he's feeling that way at the end of training camp, if everybody's healthy, I could completely understand it, because he feels like he's he's capable of more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what make it interesting too, is if Kyle Williams started to make some plays or start to show up a little bit, and then you know, even from the Patriots depth perspective, you might feel like we can get something maybe for Kashawan based on how he's had a really good summer. But this is going to open the door a little bit for Kyle Williams because you know, that's another been another storyline that he just doesn't really gotten any opportunities, and I mean looks sometimes guy's got to run with the twos and you got to find a way to make some plays when the ball does come your way. And that's just where hot that's where, you know. And you know Chisholm's made a few catches here and there, but but he but he has you know, I mean, Kyle Williams hasn't. So you know, again, I'm not going to overreact to A J. Brown. I'm not going to overreact to to Kyle Williams, but I think he needs to.
Speaker 6: Those two guys have not been factors at all. I don't know how one three catches each with the twos. I didn't see the three Kyleiams I saw yesterday Tuesday with the twos, not not with Drake May.
Speaker 2: Get any reps with Drake May? Yeah, No.
Speaker 5: But Chisholm looks good. You know when he's out there.
Speaker 2: With the twos, he's absolutely well. When you're talking about the death, that's that's to me where those guys are. And you know you got a wigh Kayshawn Boody in a lame duck year, Kyle Williams, you know, in a year where you're looking for him to make a second year, Leap won an off season award, has clearly been focused in training. So that's I think that's gonna be where the decision comes down to Williams and Booty all right.
Speaker 3: Eight five to five, PATS five hundred is the hotline. Podcasts at Patriots dot com is the email address.
Speaker 2: We got Lucas and holy Oak, Holy Ok.
Speaker 5: Probably I went to holy Cross. I never heard of Lucas on the phone. How you doing, I'm doing good.
Speaker 7: So my question is, do you guys think our offensive line this year, especially on the left side, so Will Campbell will be as good as the start of last year, because when Will Campbell got the injury, he got worse and and had the Super Bowl, it didn't seem like they were one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: I think it's going to be better, honestly better be uh yeah, because not just because of Will Campbell, but because of Vera Tucker next to him.
Speaker 5: I mean, you've got a really.
Speaker 3: Seasoned pro, a pros pro next to him, and if he can stay healthy, I you know, I think he might be I think I heard one of your guys last night, Mike g already say if he's healthy this year, he could be the best pickup of the offseason for the Patriots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm I'm curious to see lom Lomu. I think Loan was a really important player. You know, I said this morning, I think he's going to back up multiple spots on this line, and I think it's on the coaching staff to get him ready and to you know, you heard Mike Raible talk about it this morning, how NFL football is different. And to Paul's point about injuries happening this year, I mean, I think Caleb Lomana when you got Ben Brown, and you know you like Ben Brown, he's a solid interior backup, especially at center. But really I think Loan move was a backup at four spots. So I think they're gonna need Caleb Lomou this year and they got to get him ready. My other question is just Jared Wilson in this transition. When they drafted him, people said he's a center, that's his natural position. He able to win the left guard spot last year. I don't think you've heard a lot about that kind of newness, because that's really, you know, to me, a major new piece. If you don't hear about it, well we'll see when the Pats come on, because you know, this is when you know, you got to worry about having the front of the p keeping the you know, keeping Drake clean, those big body interior guys that can you know, I saw matter Bik came back and Baltimore is a good example of just you know, a guy who's a problem on the inside. So, you know, Jerry Wilson's transition, I think is something really to watch that that hasn't been getting a lot of talk, reasonably so given what the practices have been. But now with pads going against some of those big guys, Corey Dirden, how does he hold up on the inside and the type of question the.
Speaker 3: Big test will be that first joint practice with the Colts, because that's when we'll get our first real indication of how the offensive line is going. And you know, I keep going back to two years ago when the Eagles came here, and man, did we get a dose of reality of what our offensive line was like? You know, yeah, we were going against one of the best defensive fronts.
Speaker 2: In the league at that time, but you couldn't get a playoff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, but it was like literally you couldn't run your offense, you couldn't run your offense. So you know, even though even in joint practices you're not tackled full you know, up front, they're playing full speed. And so when the Colts come to town for that one joint practice, well.
Speaker 5: I think we'll get our first real.
Speaker 3: Indication of where they are at this point in time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think you'll get your first almost real today with the one on ones that go on, and there'll be you know, plenty of stats coming out about how will Campbell held up, how jar you know, what does Elijah Ponder look like? And some of these drills. You know, that'll be what we overreact to today. But that's what I'm you know, I'm excited to see that those those one on one matchups, the physicality and Lomu, especially getting him out there and seeing how he deals with the one on ones.
Speaker 6: Mike makes a great point too about the overreaction. It's like, what's the one area everybody is sort of agreement that you know they might be lacking. And not only they're lacking, but two of the guys that you're hoping a big part of it haven't practiced yet.
Speaker 2: Landry and act as bitch, right, right, So now the offensive line will do a great impassment. That didn't be like, oh I thought I thought real Campbell couldn't play it. Will just make the biggest deal. Jesse Luketta couldn't get past Will Campbell today. But I but I do think, uh, you know, draymonnt Jones is a veteran, so there you know there will be some some interest there and you know, of course that's it'll all be overreaction. But I got to say, like I just I'm a Will Campbell fan. I think he's really athletic guy, he's really tough, and I'm excited just to see in your two how it all translates winning offseason award him and Jared Wilson got of translated here to the field. You know, you win the weight lifting award and you've been around and you're being good guy. That that's all well and nice, but this is when things start to get real, and you know, I just love to see Will Campbell take that next step because you know, I think he brings attitude to the offensive line. I think he's snarly when he you know, as a finisher, and I think that he's really athletic and he's able to lead plays, and I think he can really be a factor for Josh McDaniels. I don't know how much of a you know, how much that played an impact last year. We talked about, you know, him having a tough time in pass protection with the knee, but I also just wonder how much it affected them in terms of getting him out on screens. I think that's when you know, you see him do some of his best work is when he's out out moving in space.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, but what a difference, you know, from two years ago to last year to now now. It seems like when it comes to the offensive line, not only do the front five look better.
Speaker 5: But the depth is there too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're talking about we can't wait to see Lomo, but we could see him in a number of places.
Speaker 5: Ben Brown is a solid.
Speaker 3: You know, uh, interior guy in in three spots, So I think there's a lot of quality depth.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: You know, you're gonna have Morgan Moses.
Speaker 3: On the outside on the right side, but you know Lomo's getting runs behind him.
Speaker 5: So you've got two really good subs.
Speaker 3: We hope with Lomo and certainly with Ben Brown, boy, they've come a long way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a promising I mean seven guys. You know, you wonder maybe Marcus Bryant is the ape seeing him getting some decent word, you know, Mike, Yeah, yeah. I mean that's you know, another second year guy who who's showing some development. But what about Crono the less so, I mean I haven't seen much of him. I mean, he's another big dude. I mean it's almost the same thing as Marcus Bryant, where you have, you know, really tall guy with some traits that you know, might need a little bit of time to develop, but clearly they have a love for these big tackles. And you know, again, just to go back to Lomu, I think, you know, I'm I'm still not on the fence, but like, I still think he's got a ways to go. I still think he's you know, needs every practice of this camp to get up to speed and to get to a place where, you know, and here he comes walking up the hill now ready for his fist. He looks, he's like, do shut up, I'm ready to dominate.
Speaker 5: But but you know it's.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, the knock on him a little bit coming out was that he didn't quite have the attitude that you know, maybe Varabel's teams want. And you know, again, it's almost the same thing as Gonzalez, where like, oh he doesn't quite hit and I'm like, yeah, but does he is the athletic? Does he have the traits he does? So we'll see today if he plays, you know, maybe with a little bit of edge, if they were able to start to bring that out of out of Lomu a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you mentioned rared in his name. We move over to the side a little bit, from the offensive line over to the tight ends.
Speaker 5: He's shown some catching ability.
Speaker 2: Here, made a couple of catches, you know, sitting down playing you know a little bit more with with the twos. Uh, you know, I think it's how does he fit in with with Tanner Arkin and you know Jack West Over those two guys. I think, you know, you want a complimentary guy with Hunter Henry. You don't want, you know, Hunter Henry and a guy who's going to be just a just a receiver unless you're you know, third and fifteen and you're you're trying to stretch everything out. So yeah, you know, I'd love to just see him start to show up every day and start to you know, we're seeing little bits here and there. Do with the twos first, then maybe he starts to get some chances for the ones, because you know, a guy like Tanner Arkin can come in, be complimentary to Hunter Henry, be a blocking guy, be a presence in the run game. But when I look at Eli rhard and I just see all kinds of potential. I think he's got the frame to be a blocker. He looks pretty smooth on the hoof. It just has to continue to stack days here.
Speaker 5: At the Rooks on the hoof, I heard it. Yeah, right, runs, it looks good. Where would you get that one?
Speaker 2: I don't know, just can't to me, friends moved on the hoof? Does that make sense? You know what?
Speaker 5: I don't like running and he's smooth and so he's a.
Speaker 2: Super runner, runs smoothly.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: Coach is like a horse though, and he's I don't know, it just came out of me.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right.
Speaker 3: You know it is frustrating for me though when we go to these practices because and you want to talk defense other than coverage, it's how can.
Speaker 5: You judge the defense? Yeah you really can't.
Speaker 3: I mean I see Milton Williams and Barmore up there and that gives me a lot of confidence.
Speaker 5: But I have no idea how they're doing it.
Speaker 2: Well, there's been some runs where it's there's no no room in there. I do also, just Sam and I thought the first couple of days, which is, you know, the covers there round the ball a lot. I mean, Christian gan Zalez, you know, Craig Woodson coming up with a pick. That's all you can really ask, and these kind of in these kind of situations. But I still look at the secondary, even with the limited viewing power we have here, I still think that's right now, the best best unit on the team that showed up right out of the gate. Now without Carlon Davis, I think that might that might change a little bit.
Speaker 5: So do we know, like what what his deal is?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 8: Did it's like a leg Yeah, some type of legs maybe, yeah, Yeah, that's it's Rabel didn't sound like he's sound like it might be a couple of days from the tone that that Brabel said in the in the pregame press conference there pre practice, excuse me.
Speaker 2: So we'll see. I mean again, christ they're about seventeen times last year. I thought Carlton Davis was gone for the year, then we'd see him back out. So hopefully, hopefully, you know, it's nothing major and there they're just going to be precautious. You know, Carlton Davis is going to show up. I mean, look at him in the playoffs. That was you know, I thought he was good in the regular season last year, but you know he was excellent in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: All right, do we want to take a break? I can't, Okay, So let's take a break. When we come back, we'll get closer. Practice going to start around ten thirty, so about twenty minutes from now, but we'll be back with your calls and emails right after this.
Speaker 9: Come Welcome on the newest restaurant additions at Patriot Place. Estella brings a celebration of flavors with a modern fusion menu, exciting cocktails and brunch available daily beginning at eleven am. Enjoy freshly brewed coffee and Mediterranean inspired breakfast and lunch from Angels Cafe. Craving the classics, Chick fil A makes it easy to grab your favorite with mobile through carry out and dine in options. Download the Patriot Place Advantage app for special offers. And to earn rewards every time you visit Patriot Place Shop Dine enjoy.
Speaker 10: The heaviest metal credit card of all time, wielded at business dinners like a samurai sword. It's a classic corporate power move, but the real power move. Having end to end visibility on your most critical shipments FedEx the new power move.
Speaker 3: Whether you're in the game or betting on the game, you'll need a game plan. Draftking Sports Book, the official sports betting partner of the New England Patriots, provides you with everything you need to build your personal betting game plan so you can get in on all the action while practicing safe bets. Visit DraftKings dot com slash Responsible dash Gaming to learn more about all the safe betting tools DraftKings has to offer. Hope is here eight hundred and three two seven fifty to fifty or gambling Helplinema dot org must be twenty one plus play it smart from the start game. Sincema dot com physically president Massachusetts, see DraftKings dot com slash Responsible dash Gaming for details and state specific responsible gambling resources.
Speaker 11: There's enough needless nonsense in the world already. Your phone plan shouldn't add to it. Verizon's new Simplicity Plan cuts down on the nonsense in your life. Now there's just one plan, one price, thirty dollars a line per month, even for a single line, and everyone gets our best five G network.
Speaker 12: It's a phone plan.
Speaker 11: Designed to do exactly what a phone plan is supposed to do. Isn't that a lot simpler? Switch today at Barizon dot com or at your nearest store for new customers. Thirty dollars per line includes autopayan switch discount, additional taxi fees in terms apply. Unlimited data is retricted to on devicemarphone usage to Messi data roaming atwog speeds.
Speaker 4: Live from Patriots training Camp. This is Patriots Unfiltered, presented by Toyota dot Com.
Speaker 3: Legal Seafoods is giving fans a true taste of Boston this season as the official seafood restaurant of the New England Patriots.
Speaker 5: Pregame or postgame.
Speaker 3: Get the seafood you love at your local restaurant today Legal Seafoods dot Com. All right, we are back here high above practice field at Jillette Stadium, live on Patriots Unfiltered. We're joined now by Evan Hi. Evan Lazarre. We've been talking a lot.
Speaker 12: Yes, you know, that's what we do.
Speaker 3: You you often look at things through a different lens sometimes than most human beings.
Speaker 5: So what what are your takes up to this point?
Speaker 12: Just in general?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that.
Speaker 13: Generally speaking, I felt like it was kind of a home start to training camp.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 13: I think what's jarring to me is how few starting roles, if any, are kind of for grabs in this training camp.
Speaker 5: And is that a good thing.
Speaker 13: I think it's a good sign of a good team. Yeah, that you don't have all these questions all over the team. But since I've been you know, here and working for the team Fred, every training camp we come in and.
Speaker 12: It's like who's the quarterback, who's the left tackle?
Speaker 13: You know, what's going on in this practice, in this training camp, I feel like I could probably tell you.
Speaker 12: You could probably tell me.
Speaker 13: Who the starting eleven guys on both sides of the ball Week one against Seattle are going to be.
Speaker 12: Already we're talking a lot.
Speaker 13: About the third cornerback spot or you know, the fourth third tight end, or the third running back or like all these depth battles, which I think is a good sign.
Speaker 5: Like you said, yep. In terms of the age.
Speaker 3: You know, we started the show talking about the AJ Brown Drake May connection. Yeah, your take on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I think that AJ Brown has built up so much equity over his career that I almost need to see him struggle in regular season games before I even start to worry that he's not going to get it. You know, I think it's way too early now. But I don't even know if I care if he's struggling in any of the practices because he's AJ Brown, Like, I just expect him to figure it out.
Speaker 12: I expect him to be good.
Speaker 13: I think that he and Drake May both expect it to figure.
Speaker 12: Itself out as well.
Speaker 13: And the one other thing I would add, and I think we brought it up the other day, he's not, really, as Dan Campbell said, a pajama party guy. Like he's a full pads. He's a football player, you know, like he's not. He's a physical guy. He's great after the catch with the ball in his hands. He's great at you know, boxing out and fighting for body positioning and bumping guys off routes and things like that. You're not going to do that in an unpadded practice. Against your teammate, Like, he's not going to run into Christian Gonzalez and knock him off the top of the route in the second day of training camp. So if you're looking for a guy that is that quick separator, then that's probably not who he is at this point of his career. But I'm not concerned at all about him long term. You know, it's obviously something that we all jot down, like, hey, it hasn't looked great yet, but I don't think it's a cause for concern at all.
Speaker 3: Okay, what about Romeo Dobbs, because he's been quiet that one.
Speaker 13: I'm maybe a little bit more small he concerned about just because he, like I said just now, he doesn't have the equity that Aj Brown has. He's not a multi time pro bowler and a fifteen hundred yard receiver in his career. So I would like to see Dobbs get open a little bit more. I feel like every target that I see of him, it feels like there's a lot of traffic around him, or he's draped in coverage or something like that.
Speaker 12: You would like to see a little bit more separation.
Speaker 13: And maybe that's you know, kind of contradictory to say, I'm not worried about aj Brown at all, but I'm a little worried about Romeo Dobbs. But to me, it's really just about the players we're talking about.
Speaker 3: You know, head coach Mike Rabel arriving to practice, does he look a little beefier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not going to judge him on that. He did say some of the coaches need to be eating a little. I don't know if he's referring it to himself or the other guys, but you know, just to Evan's point, I think, you know, the hope maybe is that. And we talk so much about how difficult it was for receivers to earn Brady's trust and to learn this offense, and I don't think it's the same bar with Drake that it was with you know, Brady at the end of his career. But I do think an element of playing fast is knowing what you're doing and not overthinking it. And if you are overthinking early on, you might be a little bit slower and a little less likely to separate. So that's my hope that as we see these guys start to stack days and reps, that you start to see them pick up the speed a little bit nowhere to be know exactly where Drake wants to put the ball and you'll start to see some progress.
Speaker 5: So Evan, with this being the first day of pads, Yes, what are you looking at?
Speaker 12: The guys were showing right now.
Speaker 13: I mean, look, I know that we talk a lot about Drake May and the wide receivers and aj Brown, but the season hinges on those guys in the white jerseys right good about the old line, Will Campbell, Morgan Moses. You see Caleb Blowmon taking a right tackle pass set right there on the right side. Like, those guys are in my opinion, going to make or break the season, because I think that Drake May is going to get them where he got them last year, deep into the playoffs. But if they're going to win this thing, then it's going to come down to improvement. From sixty six Will Campbell, from fifty five, Jared Wilson, like, those guys are the guys that are going to have to really step up and improve. And I would say on the other side, to do some side of the ball. You know what do they get out of those edge rushers? You know what can they get out of those That group as well, I think is just as important as the offensive line. So for this team, I feel like I have pretty much kind of know what they're going to get out of the quarterback position and the receivers. I'm more concerned about what they're going to get out of those two spots.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I said it before earlier when we were talking about the old line. I really like the position we're in right now. You know, one through five and then the backups. I think for the first time in a long time, we're talking about five up front that you have confidence in and then backups depth that you.
Speaker 5: Know if someone gets hurt, you have just as much confidence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've been really intentional. I mean, you've got your last two first round picks are along the offensive line. Great signing last year in Morgan Moses, you know, great drafting there with Jared Wilson too, to find a little bit of a gem there and you know, be able to get him a year of experience, even though you had Garrett Bradberry in there, and of course Michael WHENU established players. I'm curious too to have to see how much Morgan Moses does today. He's been on a little bit of a plan. He was in a big plan last year. This might be a great opportunity here on this first day to just, you know, give Lomu a bunch of reps and get his feet wet, throw right into the fire.
Speaker 3: Yep Nick and East Long Metal rights in Taysom Hill and the Saints officially announced he won't be returning to the team. I think he'd be a nice addition for the Patriots. Josh McDaniels could get pretty creative with that player.
Speaker 5: What do you think about that?
Speaker 12: Yeah, he's did ten years into his career right now.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 13: I think that that one sounded like maybe a retirement is coming from the NFL. If not, I would imagine that his first call will be to Sean Payton in Denver to reunite with Sean Payton.
Speaker 2: It's a good club.
Speaker 5: I'm not really I never really.
Speaker 12: Was in on Taysom Hill. It's not really my thing.
Speaker 2: Especially not taking Drake off the field for him.
Speaker 13: I like, if you have to get into I never understood why the Saints took Drew Brees off the field as much as they did.
Speaker 12: For Taysom Hill. So it's not not my cup of tea.
Speaker 3: But okay, uh Todd in Garner, North Carolina, other than Drake May what three players need to take the next step in their development for the Patriots to make a deep run in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: There's two offensive linement Will Campbell, Will Campbell, Jared Wilson, and you know, I just to throw a random one. I think Elijah Ponder if he's able to, you know, be that guy on the edge and give them early down snaps, give them some juice off the edge. I think that would be a huge boost and alleviate some of the concerns you might have with you know, Harold Landry Frabel saying he's not as close as uh, you know, as Gay Bacchus is right now. So it's you know that to me is such a key part of this team seeing the development of those edge players. How does Draymont Jones fit in? He said he's been in this defense. He knows what he's doing. So hopefully those two guys are able to hold the fort at least early on, until you get Akis and Landry up to speed.
Speaker 5: And maybe Swinson's in the mix.
Speaker 2: I don't know. He's showed up a little bit here and there, and you know, talked about is changing his diet, all those things he's done to really take all this seriously, so you know, maybe he's a little bit of a wildcard.
Speaker 3: Some really good perspective right now where the offensive line is working out. Over the years, this area of the practice field has been known as Dante's Inferno because the O line they're always doing something, you know, while they're doing seven on seven somewhere else, the O line is constantly working out in this part of the field, and we're getting a ground level perspective of them right now. You know, practice really hasn't officially started kind of in their position, just getting ready warming up. Practice will officially start in a few minutes, so there's ponder working. The guys do their own thing just to kind of get the blood flowing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great practice. I mean it's you know, it's just interesting in pro football. The more you watch it and study it is just how the minute details of these kind of things. You know, you look at these guys and their giants and you think, oh, he can beat somebody up, but everybody's a giant, and it comes down to footwork and false steps and hand placement and resetting your hands and you know, there's so much to that technique and you can see a lot of these players working on those kind of things. Those are the kind of things that you know, Caleb lom who's going to have to learn where you take one half false step one direction your beat in the NFL, that's how small the margin is for er. So you know, getting these guys up to speed. Doug Maroon did a great job last year, Joe Jason hotailing. Hopefully they can get those guys continuing to progress. Such a theme for this season, continuing to progress, guys Corey Dirt and second year in this system. Let's get all those guys continuing up the hill and good.
Speaker 3: Shot right there of the new training center for the Patriots, the new Balance Athletics Center.
Speaker 12: And the quarterback struggling with this.
Speaker 5: Somebody so as opposed to last year where.
Speaker 3: The locker rooms were in the stadium and you walk down the service tunnel and then outside the stadium, then up the stairs.
Speaker 5: Right now they walk out and they're right on the field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't see him anymore. We were going in to record our post practice wrap up and it's.
Speaker 12: Kind of I kind of missed that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, you usually would have like a sweaty player walking in after, you know, but now, beautiful facility, and then I know, I haven't actually been in a good chunk of it yet, not that I should or it should be, but I'm excited to see the locker room for sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's beautiful. It really is.
Speaker 3: Everything about it, the locker room, the weight room, you know, their lounge.
Speaker 5: The dining room is huge. I mean the dining room.
Speaker 3: I mean it's it's like anything you could possibly want.
Speaker 5: It's it's a food lover's fantasy, the dining room. So the locker room is huge.
Speaker 13: That that's the part that stood out to me. And this is a total champagne problem, but like there could be a scrum going on on the other side of the locker room when we have open locker room dues, and you will have no idea what was said or what was happening over there because it's that big. Compared to the game day locker room too. I think that the extra space I'm sure the players.
Speaker 5: Are letting at and and other teams. There was a couple announcements just the last couple of days.
Speaker 3: The Giants are redoing their training Facilityronos and the Broncos, and then there was another team announcing, you know, the building of a new facility. So that's the thing. You have to compete in the NFL. You know, it's an arms race. Players, no free agents know who's got the good facilities.
Speaker 5: They talk and it's turning into college. Yeah, you have you have to do it.
Speaker 2: I remember, you know, we're in Vegas a couple of years ago that was towards the Asma Hall. But even Minnesota last year, great facility, you know, everything right there, and you just see what modern football training facilities are looking like. And clearly the new Battleans Athletic Center is right on the cutting edge.
Speaker 13: So on looks is the inside is a little bit like Minnesota's. They took me around there when we were there for a day and gave me a little quick tour, and I feel like ours is similar to the one that the Vikings have, and they're both really nice.
Speaker 3: While we wait for practice to officially start, good time for an over under game, you guys ready, yeah, all right, so this is for the season. Drake May passing yards four thousand in a hay over, Paul says over.
Speaker 2: Paul's giving the thumbs up, enthusiastic.
Speaker 12: Four thousand, I'd say over.
Speaker 3: Okay, Drake May passing touchdowns thirty five and a hay it's a good number.
Speaker 2: Passing is a good number.
Speaker 12: Total touchdowns passing touchdown.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go I'm gonna say he's under.
Speaker 12: I'm gonna say under slightly because.
Speaker 2: The other the rest of the offense is even better.
Speaker 12: Well, I think he's going to I can call over, We're going to get some rushing time.
Speaker 2: Positive over there pointing to the sky.
Speaker 3: Running game is going to be elite this year. So May interceptions four and a hay over, that's that's more than that last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, if you like, I would say, like nine would be like a good like nine and a half would be a good number.
Speaker 13: I think the question with him, I don't know this is gotten the list, but the question with him is fumbles, not not interceptions.
Speaker 12: Yeah, but that fumbles number has got to come down.
Speaker 3: Stevenson rushing yards seven fifty and a Hey.
Speaker 2: I'm going to go over on that. I think I think you can find a way to get to a thousand of them, wander if he stays healthy.
Speaker 3: Okay, well then you got Henderson rushing yards eight fifty and a hey, I'll say under on that one case.
Speaker 2: Receiving yards is where he might rack up a little more.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they don't have scrimmage yard.
Speaker 12: I think that's a good number.
Speaker 13: I think those two numbers are pretty good right where well the Skys are.
Speaker 3: Both thinking can hit there, you know, and now you're talking sixteen hundred yards between the two of them.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good.
Speaker 5: So a J.
Speaker 3: Brown receiving yards one thousand and a hay over that's.
Speaker 2: Cool over yeah, over evan. Any fatation anything less than that I think could be people be disappointed.
Speaker 13: He had a thousand last year and everybody told me he was washed from the season.
Speaker 5: Last year and he was a terrible season.
Speaker 2: Over one thousand.
Speaker 3: So booty receiving yards seven fifty in a hay under under under.
Speaker 12: Not enough opportunity for seven to fifty.
Speaker 2: Okay, but give me a four and a half touchdown over under and that might be.
Speaker 5: So let me let me just ask this question.
Speaker 3: This isn't part of what Kyle from Pembroke wrote in how many yards?
Speaker 5: Well, then would you consider good for the number two receiver?
Speaker 3: Whoever that turns out to be, Whether it's Romeo, Dobbs or someone else. What would you want to see from the number two on this team?
Speaker 13: I'd say like eight hundred. Eight hundred is like the that's the bottom line, right, Like you got to be above that, and anything above that I think is good are cooking them with gas. But I would say like eight hundred just based off a volume, you.
Speaker 3: Know, And is there any chance, just because of merit and because of what he's doing out there, that Booty could emerge as the number two receiver on this team?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean sure, I just you know, I get caught up in the stuff where, you know, do you want guy with a lot of yards? Do you want a guy with a lot of catches? You know. I think there's a balance between you know, having a volume guy that's going to move the change, but also you know, having a guy down the field that can that can stretch things out. I think that's You're.
Speaker 3: Just assuming that that's all that could be in Booty's repertoire, And in the back of my mind, I'm thinking maybe you could use him in more than that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I'll be interesting if you know, say Dobbscott Hurt or you know, Dobbs wasn't able to go. Would that open a door for Kashawn Booty for them to say, look, let's take him out of you know, kind of what we've been doing with him and move them around a little bit more, give him those opportunities. I mean, I trust Josh McDaniels. I think Josh McDaniels knows how to evaluate wide receivers in his system and who can do what and how they can be best employed. Uh, and so you know, we'll see fred. I think that would be a really interesting thing though, if you saw all of a sudden, Booty starting to you know, maybe run a little bit more of the quick game stuff and you know, get the ball out getting in his hands and see what he can do after the catch.
Speaker 5: Henry receiving yards five hundred and a hey.
Speaker 12: Had more than that last year.
Speaker 2: So yeah, let's let's go a little slightly over, I know, get some respect on the top tight ends list. I think he was like seventh or eighth in there or something, so hanging on and you know, Madden, it's a list.
Speaker 3: I saw somebody on one of Paul's TV shows yesterday, good news for the Patriots, Drake may was I don't know what he said fifth Madden list.
Speaker 12: I think he was like six.
Speaker 2: Really, that's good news for.
Speaker 3: The team that Madden ranks Drake may highed, you know six, Like, what are we doing here?
Speaker 5: I think we're judging things by Madden.
Speaker 13: I think that there's a general consensus though that he's that right now, he's sixth, and that puts him right outside of the club with Stafford and Lamar and Alan and Mahomes and Burrow because I don't think he's done enough.
Speaker 5: And it's fine, but I don't even Madden to tell me, Well, that's my point.
Speaker 3: I say, we're not just for the Patriots because of video, right is that's highly ranked.
Speaker 2: They're cutting edge.
Speaker 13: Barth cut into the show yesterday on Catch twenty two with him with breaking news about the Matten.
Speaker 2: I was just about to break Barth up because I thought as soon as said that, he's.
Speaker 13: Like we got a little bit of Patriots news, and I was like, oh, go like Christian Gonzalez or whatever, and he's like Hunter Henry is the eighth rated tight end and Madden and I was like, seriously, all right, God got.
Speaker 9: Drake rated his number twenty three.
Speaker 5: I'm looking at the website right now.
Speaker 13: Maybe twenty three over overall, but overall i'mou quarterbacks.
Speaker 5: He was six sorry, right, right.
Speaker 3: Right right, Gonzo interceptions four and a hey, I'm.
Speaker 12: Gonna go under.
Speaker 5: He's not a big interceptions because they don't throw out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I thought Whatrable today kind of spoke to that a little bit about you know, maybe being able to make some more plays when he's not matched up with a guy. That seems like a point of emphasis for him using his athleticism to try to you know, get in on plays that where he's the extra guy. So yeah, we'll see. I mean, I think that's the final frontier for him to you know, have one of those seasons. I don't think it's ever consistent like you see those guys. It's not like, oh, every year he gets eight, like you know there's guys that have they every year at eight and then they're back down to three. So I'd love to just see him have one of those special years with the ball. Just seems to find him really rounded out.
Speaker 13: I remember Santa Samuel talking about this and him going back and forth with Bill about playing press or playing off the line of scrimmage, and he said, and when I played press. I can't see the ball, so how do you expect me to pick the ball off? If my back is to the quarterback, I'm not going to be able to see the ball. So they started to let a Sante Samuel play off more and use the T step, you know, and drive on the ball a little bit more, and then his interception numbers went up, so you know, maybe Gonzo, you know, playing a little bit more off coverage and allowing him to keep eyes in the backfield so you can see the ball coming towards him. It's hard to pick off a lot of passes when your back is to the quarterback, like, it's not a position to pick off.
Speaker 3: You heard the horn in the background. That signifies a change of periods. So we must be in period two now, Yes we are, because we're not allowed to shoot one. So cameras are on now and we're doing period two.
Speaker 5: So you can see.
Speaker 3: The offensive line and the quarterbacks getting together. And as you know, if you've watched practice before, they build up things progressionally. You know, they take one step at a time and they build towards seven and seven, and then seven on seven builds to eleven on eleven and that's how they run practice.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yep, yeah, the wather's kind of held off too. This doesn't look bad at all. It's just a little gloomy now, but not really much precipitation, so not quite the test mental tests that it might have been if it had been pouring out like it was earlier.
Speaker 12: So crazy you want to mental test in their rain.
Speaker 2: I don't want it. I don't want it. I'm just saying it would be a little bit more mentally chal I know.
Speaker 13: I know, but I heard you guys talking about the elements and all this stuff, like let's just let's just keep everybody up right, Like, I don't I don't need a wet field.
Speaker 3: I don't need one take advantage of it, you know, like do some stuff that you know, uh, might cause you problems if it was a real.
Speaker 5: Game, you know.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Okay, I know.
Speaker 5: That's that's what Bill always said.
Speaker 13: I get these are one of the things that I think Bill always said that didn't actually contribute to winning.
Speaker 12: Not to play the role of Paul here, but he was.
Speaker 13: I think him like devising a plan to stop Marshall fulk is probably why they want not because they.
Speaker 2: Like were ready for the elements I would say too. Though to Evan's point, way too many guys around Drake's legs over the last couple of practices I didn't like.
Speaker 3: So where he hit his arm on the follow through to pass the booty.
Speaker 2: Too many guys around him, you know. I just that you don't want to see that stuff. And as far as like guys slipping in everything and fought like, let's stay, let's stay as far from that stuff as we cant.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yesterday it was just a litany of practice injuries across the NFL. Guys getting carted off. Guys, my guy Chris Brazzle is going to be out for eight weeks with an LCL. Shamar Stewart and Cincinnati got carted off.
Speaker 12: So it's just been you know, keep everybody healthy, you know.
Speaker 3: Anthony says in all fairness, being six and Madden is a great sign, and don't forget the best franchise and owner uses Madden ratings to build this team, The Juts Jets a bunch of loses in New Jersey.
Speaker 8: I didn't hear that.
Speaker 2: Oh that's fun.
Speaker 13: So I asked barth if Madden, if it's all like for you remember back in the day where like, if you just had a ninety nine speed at wide receiver, that's all that mattered. Like I remember Bethel Johnson was like Randy Moss because he was just so fast, and he was like, yeah kind of and I was like, so that's the ranking that we're taking seriously, is the one that as long as you're in ninety nine speed, you're good in this game.
Speaker 12: And we're taking the ranking seriously.
Speaker 3: Cynthia writes in so Excited, she says, Paul is right. People will make too much over what they see right now. But I'm just gonna enjoy the experience of watching them get ready to do amazing things.
Speaker 5: This brings me joy.
Speaker 3: I will be figuring out a way to use the phrase smooth on the hoof a've worked today.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm gonna have to google that to see if that's actually a thing. But I don't know.
Speaker 5: Is that the first time you've ever used it?
Speaker 2: As far as I know, Fred, I don't know. It just came out. I'm like an artist, you know, I don't control that. It just wo just comes out of me.
Speaker 5: I think a.
Speaker 13: Great Vrabel line that I like is that he always says, is it interesting or is it important?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 13: And I think stuff from practice this time of year is interesting. I don't think it's important yet, but you still make mental notes of, you know, this didn't look great early on with AJ Brown and Romeo Dobs, and if Romeo Dobs or AJ Brown struggle in the season, then you go back and you say, it never really looked right from day one, you know, So that's six months from now. That's not what you're reacting to right now. Right now, we're in the interesting yeah yeah, category.
Speaker 3: Well I remember, you know that that year that Patricia took over for offensive coordinator and right away it just didn't look right. It just didn't look right, and it never did. It never did. So there is there is something to say about even now the operation being smooth or not. And you know, I would say right now it's.
Speaker 2: About fifty to fifty, yeah, And I think that's about what you would expect here early in camp, especially the first few days and they're trying to get their feet under him and stuff. But Tevin's point, it's not crazy to start to expect that, you know, you start to string something together. But you know, I do think too, like to Evan's bigger point, you never come out of training camp being like they had a great training camp and they had a great year. It's like it's never such a straight line. It's right, training camp has ups and downs and stories, and really, I think the most important thing is not getting hurt and not losing guys, but the correlation between what camp they had and all that. It's hard. It's hard for us to sit up here and tell you unless you're in the players meetings and the coaches meetings and you know what they're saying about how they think the overall you know, tenor of the team is unfolding. But otherwise it's it's it's tough to do, tough to do.
Speaker 5: Carlos from the Canary Islands in Spain, Boo, Yeah, I bet you those are nice.
Speaker 3: How is the linebacker corps looking this season or off season? I've heard a lot of talk about cornerback and edge depth, but it looks like we are really thin on linebackers. Is there anyone besides Splane that can be a confident starter.
Speaker 13: I think I'm pretty confident in Ellis being a robin. To splain, you know, you don't want Ellis to be your primary, you know, Mike linebacker that has all that responsibility, but him him being the weak side guy, him being kind of the number two theres is fine by me. And I think I don't know if you can grade linebackers right now and or evaluate them without any real hitting or tackling or anything like that.
Speaker 12: I mean, that's is to you know.
Speaker 2: Tackle and hit Pete. But I mean the closest you can get of is I think it was the first or second day where Ellis just kind of came out and met Ramandro Stevenson with you know, what would have been a thud or a tackle, but just perfect, perfect positioning. And I think that shows Christian Ellis's remarkable rise from special teams guy to you know now it's like him and his two brothers like taking the league by storm with what they're doing at the second level. So you know, hopefully he continues to develop. I mean last year his first time is like a full time from the word go to the end as a starter, So you know, he could be a player as the weak side guy that's that's going to have some space to run around, to use his speed and make plays. And hopefully he continues to do it. I mean, you know, again, in the in the in the playoffs there, you know, getting after uh what's his name, c J. Stroud, you know, forcing that fumble and all that. So hopefully he continues to make plays. That's a big position for them.
Speaker 12: I think kJ Britt's a big player there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Is he going to replace Jack Gibbons.
Speaker 13: As sort of the third guy and spot starters team er, you know, things like that.
Speaker 12: I think it's going to be important.
Speaker 5: Matt Morell did a little research.
Speaker 3: He said, smooth on the hoof is an idiomatic expression that combines the literal concept of equine hoofcare or movement with metaphorical descriptions of athletic grace, automotive refinement, or vehicle performance.
Speaker 2: That's what I was going for, you know, it's just you know, I'll let other people try to figure out my genius. Yep, yep.
Speaker 5: Let's see Jeff.
Speaker 3: And Hickory, North Carolina calls himself the Southern Patriot.
Speaker 5: All right, all right, promise you. I thought about this before Mac mentioned it.
Speaker 3: With Ma's frame and stature, there must be some possibility that he lines up opposite of Hunter Henry as a tight end, just as Gronk lined up as a tight end and a wide receiver slot. Could there be a chance that Mac lines up in a tight end spot with the wide receiver room being so out and would that resolve part of the issue.
Speaker 5: I think he's already done that right in the past.
Speaker 2: Evan had a great diet travel. I'm done with this.
Speaker 5: Why is that?
Speaker 13: Because I keep explaining it over and over again and I'm just like, I feel like a broken record.
Speaker 2: Maybe do it again.
Speaker 13: I'm not trying to be offensas like combative about it, but it's just like, this is going to be the thing. It's going to bother me all training camp, Like we're going to get bogged down and buy the semantics of it, and it is what it is. So like, if he's he's lining up in spots where he's going to be blocking the same bodies as he's going to be blocking if he was a tight end, right, And I put that in air quotes, like if he's blocking slock corners and linebackers and safeties as a wide receiver, he's blocking slot corners, linebackers and safeties as a tight end, that we really changed his position.
Speaker 2: Right, right? You know, it's really just the difference of you would it make you feel better if he put his hand in the dirt in a three point stance and tried to get the edge.
Speaker 13: Like he means with Thomas Brown instead of meeting with Todd Downing and that.
Speaker 12: Right, we just changed everything.
Speaker 3: But the real issue there is roster spots, you know.
Speaker 13: So, but I don't think it would change in their mind, like how the roster is configured, because he's gonna do the same things regardless of what position room he's meeting.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 5: Yes, in terms of who you keep and who you don't keep.
Speaker 13: Right, But I think to them, I don't think it's going to make a difference because you're looking at it as guys filling roles and guys that are going to fit certain packages in certain situations and things like that, and his responsibilities are not going to change. You know, at two hundred and twenty pounds, he's not going to put his hand in the dirt and block a defensive end.
Speaker 3: But you don't think like counting him as a tight end opens up a slot for another receiver.
Speaker 5: No, a slot as a slot. Okay, all right, let's see. Bob or Rob is a seventy.
Speaker 3: One year old Vancouver Canadian fan UH and he's looking for advice, maybe a book or something where he can get information about the game, and the way he describes it is.
Speaker 5: He wants to.
Speaker 3: Recognize offensive and defensive lineup, especially D. But I don't want a thick, highly in depth reference, but more along the lines of where I can check out what I'm seeing on the field as the game progresses, such as Nickel dime cover two three.
Speaker 5: This way I can expand my recognition. So any advice for.
Speaker 2: You, Yeah, take your Eye off the Ball by Pat Kerwin.
Speaker 5: And I was going to say the same.
Speaker 2: P's a good one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: Just how to not take your eyes like it like it says, you know, take your eye off the ball, watch the line at the snap and it'll tell you where the ball is going to go. So I think it's a good like, you know, not quite rudimentary elementary football, but a little bit step step foward.
Speaker 3: Take your Eye off the Ball by Pat kerr When you can buy it on Amazon. All right, Well, take a break. When we come back, more calls and emails and more practice here at Patriots Offilter.
Speaker 9: Come welcome our newest restaurant additions at Patriot Place, Estella brings a celebration of flavors with a modern fusion menu. Exciting cock and brunch available daily beginning at eleven am. Enjoy freshly brewed coffee and Mediterranean inspired breakfast and lunch from Angels Cafe. Craving the classics. Chick fil A makes.
Speaker 5: It easy to grab your favorite with.
Speaker 9: Mobile through carry out and dine in options. Download the Patriot Place Advantage app for special offers and to earn rewards every time you visit a Patriot Place shop dine.
Speaker 10: Enjoy the heaviest metal credit card of all time, wielded at business dinners like a samurai sword. It's a classic corporate power move, but the real power move. Having end to end visibility on your most critical shipments FedEx the new power move.
Speaker 3: Whether you're in the game or betting on the game, you'll need a game plan. DraftKings Sportsbook, the official sports betting partner of the New England Patriots, provides you with everything you need to build your personal betting game plan so you can get in on all the action while practicing safe bets. Visit DraftKings dot com Slash Responsible dash Gaming to learn more about all the safe betting tools Kings has to offer hope is here eight hundred and three two seven fifty to fifty or gambling Helplinema dot org must be twenty one plus. Play it smart from the start game.
Speaker 14: Sincema dot com physically president Massachusetts, see DraftKings dot com slash Responsible dash Gaming for details and statespecific responsible gambling resources.
Speaker 11: There's enough needless nonsense in the world already. Your phone plan shouldn't add to it. Verizon's new Simplicity Plan cuts down on the nonsense in your life. Now there's just one plan, one price, thirty dollars a line per month, even for a single line, and everyone gets our best five unit work. It's a phone plan designed to do exactly what a phone plan is supposed to do. Isn't that a lot simpler? Switch today at Barizon dot Com or at your nearest store for new customers. Thirty dollars per line includes autopayan switch discount, additional taxes fees in terms apply. Unlimited data is retricted to on devicemrphon usage domesive data roaming at twod speeds.
Speaker 4: Live from Patriots Training Camp. This is Patriots Unfiltered, presented by Toyota dot.
Speaker 1: Com all right, we are back here Patriots Unfiltered, our special live coverage of the first full day of pads for the Patriots, and as you can see, well at little running there from Drake May under the supervision of Josh McDaniels.
Speaker 3: The team's getting ready to, you know, get into seven on seven's and eleven's on eleven's and so.
Speaker 5: It's almost a one of the milestones of training camp, the first day of pads. There's league rules. Every team has to follow them.
Speaker 3: You can't go into pads until a certain amount of practices are under your belt. And then once you get into pads, you can only have a certain amount of padded practices, especially.
Speaker 5: During the season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know which you know, say what you want about it. It's different than how me and Paul used to grow up, right, It's a good stretch for both of them, and when with double sessions, both of them in pads. Hot days at Bryant College.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the joint practices are the best, but the next week or so there'll be a lot of padded practices. Good opportunity. Unfortunately, the weather doing look great either, so it'd be nice to get a hot day. I think that'd be the next part the world. You have the extended for a little bit extended forecast, you know, thanks to our friends over there at the Weather Channel. But we'll see how it plays out. I mean today you thought it was going to get rained out and now it looks fine.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: But now this is a great take, especially once the pads come on. Those first three days of practice and a walk through, those are becoming thes We established the kind of routine now under Mike Rabel. You're excited to be there the first day, but you want to get the pads, you want to get the joint practices, you want to get the preseason, and then you're gonna want to get to the regular season. So this is a good next step to take.
Speaker 3: Yep, see Josh McDaniel's over there. So what do you think this drill is that they're they're doing. It's just sort of when things break down, kind of running through the gauntlet.
Speaker 15: I got to fully, I was tweeting it security in the pocket, you know, and it's sort of moving around, yeah, to off playform play extension, you know, scramble drill, play extension, that type of stuff.
Speaker 13: Like, so you see where Josh is like running at him from certain angles. That's trying to simulate Oh if it blitz off this side or that side, or up the middle or whatever, you know, where are you're going and do that sort of thing. So that Drake Mays pro day, it was one of it was really unique. I'd never seen that before where guys were literally running full speed at him like they were blitzing him. And then he was like, you know, coming out of the back of the pocket, and so you could show off the mobility and the play extension and stuff like that. It was like they were trying to like simulate a pass rush. It was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Blond it if he got it, because he sure got it.
Speaker 12: He sure does.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So we've been talking about this during the off season. Will they incorporate more design runs for Drake May this year?
Speaker 12: Hi?
Speaker 5: What do you think?
Speaker 2: No inside the red zone and it's the same thing we talked about last year. I think it's a good change up. They used it against the Broncos in that situation where you can get Drake to just walk in the end zone and drip the ball down. Great, but middle of the field running you know what they do with Lamar Jackson. I don't I don't really see that. It's too dangerous to me, and he's too good throwing the ball, especially downfield, like let him. I'd much rather let him take shots down the field and you know, try to dial up something or make them run through and run through the line get tackled, and you know, I don't want to get banged up.
Speaker 13: Yeah, situationally, third and one fourth and one goal line plays red zone like we saw against Buffalo, like we saw against Denver. I think that can be really helpful. But I don't necessarily see him as like a great designed runner like Lamar Jackson you mentioned, you know, Lamar, I don't really I think he's a scrambler, like I think he's a play extender. I think he's a scrambler. I think he's great, great scrambler, but I don't know if he's necessarily that dynamic, you know, by design kind of runner. So I don't anticipate seeing it a ton more. But I think they could maybe dip their toe in it a little bit more situationally and give you that extra guy and put the defense in set of numbers disadvantage by incorporating his legs.
Speaker 3: Well, I certainly hope they're telling him don't run, you know, because when when you do have that quarterback threat to run, it really, you know, gives the advantage to the offense, and when and when you're successful doing it, it's so deflating for a defense.
Speaker 5: You know, everybody covered and then your quarterback runs. For the first thing, I don't think.
Speaker 13: They're stopping him from running in the drop back game at all. I just think the question is is by design is there going to be more runs or not in the in the on the menu.
Speaker 5: Option option runs.
Speaker 13: Yes, Like you know, the point of this play is the quarterback could run the ball. Now, when you drop back and pass and scramble, that's not running by design. So I I think that that's the scrambling element that I think has to be in his repertoire.
Speaker 3: Okay, a'l Varrow from Spain, a couple of Spain emails wants to ask a ball related question.
Speaker 5: So I guess Evan's the only one that can't answer.
Speaker 2: That the show.
Speaker 5: What do you think Occas's role will be in the defense.
Speaker 3: Do you see him as an on ball standing outside linebacker or is there a chance we might see him in a Toby twenty twenty five role more like a base off ball third linebacker the first one.
Speaker 13: Yeah, he's to me, he's a peer on the ballplayer and stand up edge rusher most likely probably could put his hand in the dirt if they want to run some of those you know, four man fronts that they do. But he's he's an on the ball player. I didn't really see him play a ton off the ball. He's pretty big dude to be playing out in space like that, I don't anticipate that.
Speaker 12: So, no, he's going to be on the line. See ball, get ball, you know, go after.
Speaker 2: I drop him out from time to time. You know, I think that's a little bit of a change up for them. But yeah, Evan's right. I think that's you know, what you see from from pondering those guys. They like some versatility in them, some ability to drop out at times when they're you know, trying to disguise blitzes and send guys from the other side and that kind of thing. But I think he's a great fit for you know what they did last year on defense, see how he fits him with everybody else. I just you know, I love his motor and that's the thing that I think this defense. You know, I'm expecting when he gets out here, he's going to you know, make some noise with how he plays.
Speaker 3: All right, Liam and Suffolk has a question wants to know, are there any ud fas that could make the roster and if so, who are you looking at?
Speaker 5: And why?
Speaker 12: Tanna Acken.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's the top one.
Speaker 13: Yeah, Tanna Ark. And I'm excited to see him in pads. He's been really involved and he's going to make the team as a blocker, so you know, you got to see him progress this time of year. But I think that that's a guy that right now I would have him on a fifty three man roster projection for sure. I don't know who unless they want to go two tight ends, I guess maybe with with Gilliam as the full back. But if they're going to keep three, you know, traditional tight ends, I think Arkin is on the team right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I keep an eye on Kyle Dixon. He hasn't you know, done much here. He was pretty active though in rookie mini camp, and I just I like him. He's a bigger player. I think I don't think he's going to make the team per se, but I think he could have in side track to be at least start out on the practice squad and be, you know, that practice squad player, kind of like John Giles was the last couple of years, where you need someone on your roster who's big bodied and can kind of play a part. I know that's probably not what people are looking for. They want to see somebodyho's actually going to make the team, but he could be a developmental guy down the road that maybe he does eventually end up on the roster.
Speaker 6: Sometimes and I just look at I think Arkan's the guy who, in terms of the reps with who he's playing with is I think he's ticketed for the roster. But I would look at linebackers just in general. I don't know that I would pick one out yet because I haven't necessarily seen, you know, a lot of reps with guys other than you know, the Spallane and Ellis group.
Speaker 2: I haven't really seen a lot of guys rotating in and out.
Speaker 6: But there's there's a you know, with probably a room on the roster for a guy, and maybe one of the undrafted guys gets it. But Tanner Arkin, I think is the probably the answer to the question.
Speaker 3: You mentioning big bodies before Duce, What do you think of Vita Vea?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I like him. I mean I think he would definitely be a fit here. I just you know, with the Gonzalez contract situation and then he's going to want a new contract and you're gonna have to pay Drake may too. I mean, no question he would fit on this team. And you know, he's a good veteran presence and all that kind of stuff. I mean, you're kind of near the end, but I'm guessing he wants another big deal while he can still get it. I just don't know if the Patriots had the bandwidth right now with what they have to make another big investment along the defensive line when you know, really it's Barmore and Milton Williams that are that are going to be the straws during the drink.
Speaker 3: So there is Christian Gonzales and looks like he's in pads.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure it does.
Speaker 3: So the question is once they get into seven and seven eleven eleven, will he be a full participant?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, real quick, just to point it out, the guy's got k ron Prunty right there next to him and He's a guy that you know is buried on the depth chart a corner, but you can see in between the pie, you know, between the upright there, you see he's got good size, like like Gonzalez does. And that's something to me that just kind of stands out with the rookie. Another guy that you know, as you have Carlton Davis out to other guys, Kendall Viildor, he's going to get some opportunities. I would guess we'll keep an eye on proNT to see if he makes any kind of a push.
Speaker 5: But it is good to see Gonzales out there.
Speaker 2: And yeah, yeah, for sure, sorry to hijack your your thing there and talk about the instead of the star cornerback the last pick of the draft.
Speaker 5: That's okay, That's that's why we're special.
Speaker 2: That's you know, we are special. I do like nd.
Speaker 12: I like the the body type.
Speaker 13: You know, he's big, he's long, Scott Liking ridiculously long arms for a cornerback, and you can see it, you know, the on ball production in college, so you know, maybe they there's something there to develop. I mean, I don't know if it will be this year that he's going to contribute maybe in a special teams role, but as a guy that that they could develop either on the practice squad or the fifty three.
Speaker 2: Yep, well it's those those late round cornerbacks like you know. He also right there have Kobe Minor and Marcellus Dial, who's more of a slot guy. Uh. You know, at some point you take these on these late round day three picks. You hope that that one of these guys maybe develops into you know, at least a special teams player. You know, you'll take that even if they're not going to contribute on defense.
Speaker 3: Norman Daytona Beach has a non football question, any idea how many dogs were adopted from the opening day of training camp dozen? My wife and I didn't already have four, we would have seriously considered taking a trip to rescue one. Truly heartbreaking to see dogs without homes. Thanks to the Patriots organization for doing this. At last count I heard this a few days ago.
Speaker 2: They were over thirty, so I think they have between fifty and sixty here, So I mean cheap is yeah, that's crazy though to think about an event thirty dogs to get adopted, like you know, but now great stuff, and I'm sure, we'll continue to.
Speaker 5: I know, if I don't already have one, I would have taken one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have your eye on one. Where is your dog? Get jealous?
Speaker 5: Those little pities?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Oh they're cute.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, so Paul Poplars dog.
Speaker 5: Paul.
Speaker 12: Paul was close to adopting what he was.
Speaker 2: He was considering it.
Speaker 5: Paul got bitten when he was a kid, and he doesn't like dogs.
Speaker 12: I got bit when I was a kid too, and I started.
Speaker 2: I saw my sister get bitten in the face. It was a little different. It's a little bit more traumatic. And if it was made that's bad. Yeah. Well, you know, if you don't get making light of it though, no problem. If you don't get bitten as a kid, you're not gonna get bit. What's it? What's the quote?
Speaker 13: Yes, yeah, they don't bite his puppies. They won't fight it as dogs.
Speaker 6: Oh right, right, So we got some contact going Freddie.
Speaker 2: Oh, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa? Who's that battle in fifty one? James, James, you're gonna need a little help. Boom. Who's fifty one on defense? Fifty one on def Oh that's the new guy, that's Riley Wilson.
Speaker 5: Wow, fifty one and fifty one love it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't like it. Fifty one on fifty one crime Jami Swadson. Yeah, there's Terrell Williams. Of course to look in the news. What is the associate head coach? I think is that? What is it? What was the exact role assistant head coach? The defensive coordinators at herr out there He's gonna work Terrell.
Speaker 13: Williams a lot with the defensive line. You see him with the defensive spot, right yeah. I you know, there's maybe some administrative stuff that very Able mentioned that he would take on.
Speaker 12: But this is his specialty right here, is working.
Speaker 2: With the I'm talking about specially. I mean, this is like verybel just he loves this stuff. Man, he loves tangling with these guys getting in. I mean, that's some thing I think that surprised me most about Mike Rabel is just he seems to have a hand in everything. And you know, I just I was trying not to make assumptions, but a defensive guy, you thought I'd be around the linebackers a lot. But you know, in his time as a coach in Ohio State and Houston, uh, you know, in Tennessee. It seems like he's really developed into a well rounded coach who can coach all positions. And I'm really interested about that journey for him, Like because as a player, I would say, you know, you might feel comfortable coaching the position you played. Everybody praised Mike Brabel for his just overall football intelligence, But how do you get to the point where you have confidence to go to an offensive lineman and talk to them about their SATs or their hand placement. You know, how do you have the confidence to go, you know, to a running back and talk about, you know, picking the hole and all that kind of stuff. It's just really interesting. Great head coaches know the whole game inside and out, and I think that, you know, inspires confidence in their players that they know what they're talking about.
Speaker 3: I was talking to somebody who's been with five different teams, numerous head coaches, and he said that he thinks Rabel is the most versatile, well rounded head coach he's ever been.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and that doesn't really surprise me because of how he was as a player. I mean, he played extensively at multiple positions. He played, he played all different kinds of linebacker, He used to play safety on a regular basis in practice to torment Tom Braid, he played obviously tight end, you know, in a very design you know, specific design role. So the football part has What has really surprised me about Mike rabel Is. I thought he would be like what you just saw, like hands on guy. He's gonna show technique, he's going to be a player. He's going to come at it from a player's perspective, and he's going to have that physicality in that MINDSETL.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's really administrative.
Speaker 6: Yes, I think that he's the CEO type and I did not expect that from my greeable. Even even watching him in Tennessee, you don't get to see that on a daily basis. I've been very surprised with how similar he is to Belichick in that he is the head of the football operation. He is the CEO of football, and I wouldn't have necessarily pegged him for that.
Speaker 2: As a player.
Speaker 3: I mean, you talk about just versatility and well rounded and I you know, I always tell the story after the two thousand and three Super Bowl and we were putting together three games to glory and we sat him down in front of a monitor and.
Speaker 5: He started giving us editing opinions, why did you do this? We should do that? And like.
Speaker 3: He's got a well rounded mind, I think, and it's perfe for being a head coach in the NFL because it's not just about the x's and o's. It's about when the buses are coming, when should the plane, league, what hotels were staying at. I'm not saying he makes all those decisions, but he's got to handle it and he's got an opinion on it.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I think that's one thing Fred that surprises people that are on the outside looking in about NFL head coaching is how much non football there really is that goes into that job, even press conferences, in dealing with the media, you know, but all the logistical things that you talked about, Like there's so much of that that like sometimes the football is the easy part, like once they actually get to go talk and get back into football. But I think what surprised me the most about him is I thought I knew he would be able to like be a ra ra guy, and I knew he would be able to rally the troops and give great speeches and you know, lead the room and conduct the room. But his football chops and his football acumen is you know, I think it's better than a guy like like Dan Campbell. Like I think Dan Campbell is what I'm described, And I think they have such a perfect set up with him and Josh McDaniels that McDaniels probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and so they don't have to worry about the play caller and the OC and that sort of thing. So you can hire a coach that has that CEO ability and not worry about the offense.
Speaker 2: It's kind of it's kind of fun too. In the press conferences, he doesn't give you much, but he gives you a little more than you got from Bill or you know, or Drop May or even you know, those kind of things. It shows, especially you know, Taylor questions are those kind of things where you know, he gives you enough to know that he knows a little bit about everything and whether or not.
Speaker 12: It's true, at least he.
Speaker 5: Tries to show that he respects the people's.
Speaker 3: Jobs that are asking the question, right, you know, and like whether or not he likes them or not, that's not the question.
Speaker 5: That's not what I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: I think he understands their job and he respects that and he may not always like what they're asking or whatever, but that comes through that he respects the people on the other side.
Speaker 2: You knew players of course, you know, respect Bill Belichick's football knowledge. But you know, it's one thing to have the football knowledge. But when you stand up there and I know very Abel probably does this and say, you know, I played in the Super Bowls, I had touchdown catches I had said. You know, he has been there and done everything there is to do, you know, in the NFL on an NFL football field, and you know, to capture the players, you know, respect. It just seems like such a natural progression for him. It's it's it's been really good. I'm excited to see what year two of this program looks like because you hear a lot of the same points. You know, he's kind of hitting on the same points, and that to me, you know, establishes he knows exactly what he wants the message to be. You know, in training camp, earn a role, build a team. You know though those all those boxes that they're trying to check, and it's it's it's coming together. Well, the proof was in the putting last.
Speaker 3: Just the running back tandem for the New England Patriots, Stevenson and Henderson, they're.
Speaker 12: They're just there is a list.
Speaker 13: Yesterday, Ted Winn pulled a bunch of defensive coaches, defensive coordinators, head coaches on the best offensive architects, play callers in the league. And Josh McDaniels was eighth, but he was the top OC, not head coach, play caller. So my guy, Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, Matt Lafleur, guys like that. Ben Johnson, Josh was eighth, and I just think the tandem together of him and Rabel is just it's one of the best coaching like batteries that you could have in the NFL, because you you have an OC that is really the head coach of the offense, and you have some stability there year to year that he's going to keep coming back, and you let Rabel kind of do Rabel things. You know, I would I wanted Ben Johnson a little bit because I wanted a guy to be with Drake May for the next ten years as his OCR and his play caller. But they kind of got there in a roundabout way, and now it really.
Speaker 2: Makes the world of sense.
Speaker 13: So you know, I thought it was telling that that Josh McDaniels was the top oc on that list.
Speaker 3: All right, well, we're coming to the end of the show. We're coming to the end of where we can film practice, so I want to thank everyone for watching today, hanging with us.
Speaker 5: Just some administrative stuff.
Speaker 3: The next time we are talking to you will be Tuesday, one o'clock on our regularly well training can't regularly scheduled Patriots unfiltered, And then on Thursday we'll be live again.
Speaker 5: Right, Is that the joint practice.
Speaker 2: No, no, that's not till next Tuesday. So yeah, we'll be a week from Tuesday. Will be the joint practice against the week from this.
Speaker 5: Tuesday, Next Tuesday. Yeah, we're all right. Both shows next week are one to three, okay, next week one to three.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Then we'll have the camp cast after each one of these, so be sure you know, the good stuff is just about to get started. So we're sorry to leave you now, but we'll be right back, you know, shortly after practice with a full recap of all the good stuff we're about to see.
Speaker 3: All right, So for everyone on the on the crew and behind the scenes, thank you for watching.
Speaker 5: We'll talk to you on Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Hey, this is Duce. Thanks for tuning into the show. If you really want to help us, make sure you like us wherever you get your podcasts, like Apple Podcasts or Spotify. Also make sure you follow us on the New England Patriots YouTube channel to see this show and.
Speaker 5: Everything else that we do here at the Patriots.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot,