Speaker 1: Okay, I want to talk about something that just occurred to me, and I just want to hear you guys describe it, because it suddenly struck me as a little odd and it didn't quite make sense, but it was something that was just a huge part of our lives, and I want to hear it described because I think it's a little weird outside of Hollywood. Where did we park.
Speaker 2: On the lot?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Like, how did that work?
Speaker 2: We had to signed parking spaces that like basically circled the stage. They were very close to the stage. We didn't have to walk far.
Speaker 1: So nobody else in the crew had parking spots like that.
Speaker 2: No, but I think some of the writers did.
Speaker 1: Children We're given parking spots where we didn't have to walk the what how far? Like two hundred yards from the park. But isn't that kind of bizarre when you think about it? Why were we granted great parking spots?
Speaker 2: Here's what I'll tell you. The argument is the same reason we all have anxiety around dressing and it needs to be done fast because the show's very tight schedule revolves around expediency. They need to make sure that if our call time is nine and we show up at eight fifty nine or on the dot nine that we are then parking our car and immediately on set in a short amount of time. And I don't think this will shock people that. I think most actors have the reputation for not being super timely or good at managing time, and so the idea that somebody would have to say, well, my call time's nine, but that means on set at nine, I have to walk fifteen minutes. So I'm going to have to get there at eight forty five, and I have to allow for traffic. So I, like a human being a job like, they try to take all of that out the situation for actors because we are catered to exactly.
Speaker 4: I think it's also one of the perks.
Speaker 3: It's one of the perks of getting there because I remember the first time driving up on set, the first thing I took a picture of was my parking space.
Speaker 4: With my name.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was the coolest thing in the world.
Speaker 1: But that's the chair kind of ridiculous, Like doesn't that mean to me? It created It contributed to a culture that exacerbated two different tendencies. One we cared about our cars, like the presentation of a car was important, which is like, like no other aspect of my life has that ever, But I remember like what people drove like and how they pulled up because we'd see it, you'd pull up in front of it. And then the other thing that it contributed to is beam late, Like there was this sense of like, yeah, you could just pull in fifteen minutes late and everybody would be waiting for you and you'd pull up into your parking spot and jump out. And like I loved even like Kevin Kelton when he was like rider would drive this car. He like our our like culture revolved around like the fact that we had these parking spots, which is just so weird to me. And it's still like.
Speaker 5: That for actors.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I don't.
Speaker 3: Think it's just the directors, but I think it's it's I think it's also if you're the manager of the bank, you're gonna get a.
Speaker 2: Park number of parking spots you should they go to they go.
Speaker 4: To the piece.
Speaker 1: So why do we have parking spots and the like there should not be cars on the lot at all because that's super dangerous, Like you should be parking on a garage and then cars not drive cars driving on lots. It makes no sense. It is purely to cater to the egos of the people that you're giving those that access to. It's like it's like having an extra bathroom for executives. It's so weird.
Speaker 3: Do you remember when we started at Disney, we were next to Home Improvement and there was always some amazingly cool car or two in Tim Allen.
Speaker 4: Spot, That's what I mean. And it was like, yeah it was.
Speaker 3: And I remember one time, so he's got a he I pull in and there's a brand new Porsche in his parking spot with a license plate that said Claus one. And it was because he had just done the Santa Claus and it did so well that Disney bought him a Porsche and had to me though.
Speaker 4: To this day, that's still the pinnacle.
Speaker 3: I want to do subthing where it's so good, where somebody's like, here's a Porsche, thanks for being on the show.
Speaker 4: It's great. It's only in Hollywood.
Speaker 1: My friend weird to me, and like I totally bought into it and like never questioned it. It was just like, oh, I'm at sixteen, I have my own or even before that, I have my own parking spot and like everyone knew what car I was driving. Like it's so I remember, like I bought because all I wanted was an old convertible, like I wanted like a Karma Gia, and my parents wouldn't let me get it because they were like, that's an unsafe car. But I wanted like an old little convertible. And then will You were like, you got to get a BMW because that was like and so like I at seventeen, Yes, I at seventeen bought a BMW convertible. And then I was like driving around and I like, it's so weird, like I just don't like care about cars at all, like and I even then I don't think I did that much, but it became part of the thing. And then I remember I had an agent who joined the Savage agent. This woman joined the Savage and State, and I remember I pulled up in my car at one point she was like, why do you you really like you care about your car? And I was like, well, yeah, I got a BMW. She was like, I just never I never saw you as that type of person, like it seems like a lot of money to like wait, and I remember being like, am I that type of person and like, yes, that's what it was, just this part of this culture and like I've never been that person since, like, but it was. It's so like La and.
Speaker 2: I s a Toyota four Runner as my first car.
Speaker 4: I still have my first car.
Speaker 1: Having an suv in LA is already a little ridiculous, especially at sixteen. That's a little and at that time that was the pinnacle of like cool and like, you never you don't need an.
Speaker 3: Suv, But having a parking space makes way more sense to me, Like caring about it's close to the set, I can get there on time. All this set makes way more sense to me than actors caring about where their name is listed in the credits, right, Like I would always get that my agent call me, going.
Speaker 4: Well, you're fourth on the call sheet. Are you okay with that?
Speaker 3: And I would always remember thinking to myself, why the hell do I care where my name is listed?
Speaker 4: I mean, performance speak for itself. I do not care where my name is.
Speaker 1: I would actually argue, I mean I think we might have hit on this a little bit. I feel like the opening credits of the first season of Boy MutS World were actually very good.
Speaker 4: For us, right They introduced you, but I don't care where I was.
Speaker 1: But being able to see your name with your picture was that the deal? And that doesn't happen anymore, no, And I actually think that that really it is good for actors, Like I like actors getting recognition. Like even now you think it's so cheesy at the end of like a movie or whatever when they like showed the actors and list them, But in reality that's cool. It's like a curtain call, you know.
Speaker 3: It's like when you have where you're listing shouldn't matter.
Speaker 4: It should be the performance that you're doing. So if you're listed.
Speaker 3: Second or seventh, you shouldn't be calling your agents based seven on the call sheet.
Speaker 1: But that's usually just based on the sides of your part, right, I mean, isn't that.
Speaker 2: Alsoways Like I also wonder how much of it is to a certain extent safety, Like I know, I was followed from the stage of Boy Meets World where it was after a live studio audience taping, and people parked outside of the gate where I exited. They watched me pull out and they followed me home.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then you got out of your car.
Speaker 2: I did. I got out of my car and yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I just I just had this memory of like, and I think we told that will You told that one story when Dusty hits the car with the ball, and I was like, it is so weird to have these cars lined up in front of a stage, and yet we just totally that was our late second. And like, you think about how many crew members had to had to park like a normal human being and walk to work and be there on time.
Speaker 4: This makes so much sense. This is why every house you buy has no parking.
Speaker 1: That's just because I like houses that are slightly removed from like from parking, or from just from normal.
Speaker 3: Like rider can't dress without anxiety and doesn't want an he doesn't want park he wantsn't.
Speaker 4: Work to be as difficult as possible. It makes so much sense.
Speaker 2: You should have to hike a mile to my.
Speaker 3: House, and if you're backing out half your car should slam over this thing and we should have to call in tow trucks.
Speaker 1: I think there's truth to that. I think there's truth to that, because you know, the most beautiful wilderness experiences I've ever had, or when I've had to hike multiple days to get somewhere. You know, it's like if you can get there easily. We've talked about Grand Canyon. It's anti climactic. Like, so ease of access is is not great? Like, yes, I think I think having difficulty is good for us.
Speaker 2: Well, I like my parking space and I'm not giving it up.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Pod meets World. I'm Daniel Fishel.
Speaker 4: I'm righter, strong, and I should be the first one to say my name.
Speaker 1: From now on.
Speaker 4: Now on, I'm wilfred Ell. Now you guys say you're.
Speaker 5: My god.
Speaker 2: I love it so much.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I love you guys.
Speaker 2: There is a very elite and small club when it comes to Boy Meets World, and for all intents and purposes, let's call it the Trifecta Gang. These are the actors who appeared on the show three times, but as three different characters.
Speaker 4: There's more than one of the Steve.
Speaker 5: There are.
Speaker 2: True inductees into this illustrious crew. First is the beloved Willie Garson, who played Leonard Spinelli Mervin from Merrill Lynch and the minister who married Corey into Panga in season seven. Second is Jonathan C. Kaplan, who played Herbert Simon and Alvin, which sure does sound a lot like the Chipmunks, it does.
Speaker 1: He was always the nerd character, Yes, they just kept changing which nerd name he.
Speaker 4: Yep, that's exactly.
Speaker 1: Give the kid the same name.
Speaker 4: And make it Mancus because they forgot.
Speaker 2: Also, it's worth noting that technically Phil Broccoli Leads could also fall into the but he plays two characters named Phil and one named Milton, So we'll leave it up to different correct because one of them is not the same soup pill.
Speaker 4: No, and then there's broccoli flap. Fill this broccoli flap Phil, right?
Speaker 1: So wait, okay, all right, sorry, gone on interest.
Speaker 2: So we'll leave whether or not he falls into this category up to you, our dear podcast listeners, to make that decision. I'm talking to you, specifically Melissa, but the third for sure member in this week's guest who you can call Samantha, Sarah or Kristen. In addition to this trio of characters on Boy Meets World, she is best known as Amy Zelinski in the Disney TV show for Honey, I Shrunk the Kids, or Betty Stoller in a pod meets World favorite film Camp Nowhere. She also appeared on the Saturday morning basketball sitcom Hangtime, Roseanne House, Gray's Anatomy, and the theatrical play with the Brothers Strong. She's a name that's already come up dozens of times on the podcast, and now we are honored to have her stop by. It's time to talk to Hillary Tuk. Hi, you got same?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you haven't aged?
Speaker 5: Oh my god. Flattery is so wonderful, isn't it true?
Speaker 3: Another one who has a painting of themselves someone they're attic?
Speaker 4: How do you do it? Unbelievable you have not aged?
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, I'm so happy to see you guys. Hi, my old friend. My gosh, it's forever.
Speaker 1: Know how you do it.
Speaker 5: I'm I'm doing well. I'm hanging in. How about y'all?
Speaker 1: Where are you in the world? Are you in Texas or you.
Speaker 5: No, I'm in Okay so much like Texas, so much like we call.
Speaker 2: We call in the Texas.
Speaker 1: That's far enough away that it takes three days and a lot of cows to get there. But yeah, all right, Oh my god. We have no excuse to have not stayed in touch.
Speaker 5: No excuse.
Speaker 1: I assumed you'd left l a long ago, or you know, but I know, Okay, No.
Speaker 5: We're all We're all here, yeah, live in, Live in the Dream, right, Wow?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I going You guys have a friendship that goes back decades. But I would like to start with Finishing Touches. It has two one act plays in nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 1: Why touches?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Can you can we pull up the image the Finishing Touches?
Speaker 5: I was like, did we do some sort of corn thing that I didn't.
Speaker 1: You don't remember Finishing Touches? No, that's what we called the evening of one act You were in Women in Wallace.
Speaker 5: Yes, I could not remember the name of the and the.
Speaker 1: Tom sisters, Heather and Nicole Tom, and we just recently reconnected with Nicole Tom and it was so fun to like hang. And so Shiloh posted on Instagram the poster which yes, yes, wow, you signed it to Nicole. This is Nicole's copy apparently and you signed it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: God, why did Shiloh look like he was just kicked out of the school for fame?
Speaker 1: Totally?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I was describing what Charlotte was like because because Jensen, our producer and Danielle's husband, was like, Shiloh had quite a quite a look going, oh yeah, you don't even know the half of it. Because back then he was wearing a fishing vest ye ye, with all the pockets, and he would have a thermos full of special tea that he would get at Earth Earth, get the and I remember the smell of this. And then he was always juggling.
Speaker 2: And the hackey sack.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, he was like the goofiest, coolest guy ever.
Speaker 5: Like I wanted to get my hand into every single one of those pockets of his.
Speaker 4: I thought you wanted to get your hands on Shilo.
Speaker 5: I did. I mean, I did get my hands on Shiloh. But I'm saying like I was. I had, Yeah, I was had such a he was dreaming it, such a crush on him. Was this the play that.
Speaker 3: You did that you guys wrote that was about magic, the gathering.
Speaker 1: Magic the gathering and oay, yeah, you guys all came at something. I don't know if Daniel wouldn't remember, but yeah, you guys all came. The entire cast of The Babysitters Club came, which because Larissa brought they were working they were making that movie, and so like a year later, year and a half later, when I met Rachel, she was like, oh, I saw you in your play, and she remembered coming to see because like everybody came. It was like all of Diane Harden's, like all the actors, like everybody would come because it was like the thing that we were doing. But yeah, it was a play that Shiloh wrote called Shades of Blue, which is only like.
Speaker 2: And how old was Shiloh?
Speaker 1: Sixteen?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'd like to read you the tagline just so please. An exploration of relationships between friends and lovers from a touching and often hysterically funny point of view. It feels much more evolved than my mom taking a hundred pictures of me and Andrew Koga.
Speaker 3: Like you, it was not as hilarious as often as you thought.
Speaker 1: Women and Wallace was. It was a pretty great play and it was just Shiloh and five actresses, and it was like the whole idea, if I remember, was that he was like a teenager and it was all these different women playing different versions of like or his mom commits her suicide and then like they're all the same girl, but they're played by different actors. It was like a really cool play and that was like a one act, and then Shiloh wrote this other one act that was like twenty or thirty minutes long, Shades of Blue, Shades of Blue, which she ended up winning the Drama Logue Award for, which was about me. I was a character who was spending like I was like really sad, and like my mom comes in and says, like, you're late, and then I like sit there and I'm like freaking out and I'm really sad and you don't know why. And then a friend of mine shows up and we like spend this time talking and hanging out, and then he literally disappears and you realize that he's killed himself and that the whole play was me trying to like come to terms with him having died. Yeah, It's like it was like really intense. Yeah, wow, so much that William of Wallace whatever, that one Women in wa Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a play that would often be shown at high schools, because I show I saw that play ten times at a high school before I saw it at Shiloh, and and I was like, oh, this one, so I'll never forget that. I know there's a famous Linemkers. I know how big my head is. So you can't shrink my head because he's supposed to be the head shrinker, right, He's like, you can't shrink my.
Speaker 4: Head because I know the side of my head. And I was like, oh, this is high school play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well I think it was a great play that involved high schoolers.
Speaker 3: This was like the perfect age actor play for people our age at that time.
Speaker 1: That's like you always the other everybody does at some point. I remember that's what I did scenes for in our acting class, and y'all, Rachel, Rachel and I did scenes from out of Gas at Lovers Leap because it's like again again suicide by the way, it's like to two characters on their graduation night parking their car and like talking about their life with like lots of Springsteen references, and then they jump off the cloe.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, so tragic.
Speaker 5: Sorry, let's get back to but that actually, can I ask a question because when in when y'all and Shiloh reached out to me and I started watching the episodes that I was in, I can't remember the timeline right, like, well, we in we were in an acting class with that like sort of jolly but also in retrospect, creepy guy.
Speaker 4: Bruce Bruce our manager Bruce yep, yes, oh he.
Speaker 5: Was your manager. Oh sorry, the creepy.
Speaker 1: He directed the play and that's why he directed the play. So yeah, I couldn't remember how we met you except from being on Boy Meets World. I'm assuming when you were because you were on the first, first or second season. You were on an early episode and that's why when I saw you pop up, but I was like Hillary, and then you only had like one line. I was like, wait, I thought she was a I thought she was like a bigger part. And then of course you've since.
Speaker 4: Come back on more episodes, right, Well.
Speaker 1: We did. We did the play, I think. I think probably during the second or third season of Boy the World. I had met you, Yes, so we had met any but then but then either you just got cast in the play or did we you say we did acting class before the play.
Speaker 5: I don't know, But don't you remember the acting class in Bruce's living room and it was you and me and Tom sisters and I don't know who else. It was like a collection of like up and coming young actors.
Speaker 1: Danielle ended up coming and will you came to and then I used to do it in my once I had my own apartment. We used to do like acting classes in my apartment too. Yeah, it was just like this revolving door of like let's all get together and the actor, Yeah, take ourselves really seriously and do.
Speaker 4: But that's what that's the thing is. But that's the thing that's so amazing.
Speaker 3: That's what I was saying about it being a high school play is having seen it in high school with the kind of high school actors and then seeing the exact same play with actors the same age that are professionals.
Speaker 4: It's night and day.
Speaker 3: And so that's what I mean by it's like I sat there going like, oh, that's this play Because you do see actors that are now fifteen, sixteen years old, but that are professional compared to like you're in some small high school somewhere. It's pretty amazing to see how the material is so different when you've got vessels that know what they're doing, you know.
Speaker 4: What I mean. It was It was odd. Yeah, it was a hillary.
Speaker 2: How did you get into acting as a child. I think we both got started similarly with commercials.
Speaker 5: We did get I think we have that in common. We probably don't have. I got into acting sort of. I grew up in a small town in Texas, and I, is it in Sinoes.
Speaker 1: In Texas, Texas?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Was it? Colleen?
Speaker 5: You have not lost your comedic time. So small town in Texas, raised by a single mom who also was bipolar schizophrenic, so it made for a very very interesting, colorful childhood. And we my freshman year of high school, I went to a military boarding school by choice to sort of, I think my family, to sort of.
Speaker 2: Give yourself some space.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but my aunt lived out. You may remember her, writer Kelly. She was like my Yeah, she was my guardian and she was my everything. So her and I were very close. And she said, why don't you come out to LA for the summer and act? And my parents were like, sure, go to LA for the summer. And I got an agent, Ruth Devron, and she said, well, if you book something, you have to say through pilot season. And pilot season at that time, you guys, remember it was September and October. So I booked a dark repor commercial. And I think up until that point it wasn't acting that I really loved. I think it was the idea of getting out of my circumstances and like this was a vehicle to do that. But then I did the commercial and I was like, oh, this is so cool. So I got to stay for pilot season, didn't book anything, and I was supposed to come home, and however my boarding school would not take me back in the middle of the semester. Oh save, So I got to stay through January, and like right before Christmas, I auditioned to play this like very sad, see straightforward bitchy character in Camp Nowhere, and I auditioned for it and nothing happened. So I moved all of my stuff home, and I'll never forget. Like four days before Christmas, I get a phone call at my grandmother's house and it is Jonathan Prince, the director of Camp Nowhere, calling me directly to say, what is this. I hear you moved home. You've got to come and do my movie. It's such a Hollywood like oh, and so I moved on my Yeah, I moved all my stuff back. And then but in order like, in order to keep doing this and being on set, I we told my parents we needed to have guardianship. My aunt needed to have guardianship, and so they signed my guardianship over to her thinking it was just for the movie, and I never came back and I just day Yeah. Yeah, So working kept me out there. The deal was always like I had to support myself. They weren't going to send me any money. But it worked out that I was able to support myself, and so then I just I stayed and I kept I kept working, and not long after Camp Nowhere I did Boy Me Swirrels. It was one of my first jobs.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry. How old were you when all this was going on with Camp Nowhere?
Speaker 2: It was nineteen.
Speaker 5: I moved out here when I was fourteen. I did Camp Nowhere. I think when I was right when I turned fifteen.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, young, you were like already doing the full on adult thing by yourself.
Speaker 5: I think they had grown up very quickly by.
Speaker 2: You were probably apparent in your home.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, I like I remember recently like telling my kids I was annoyed at what they weren't doing, and I was like, you know, so when I was your age, when I was nine, I was waking up to the alarm, waking my mother up, then making breakfast, then putting a load of laundry, and then you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Like right, so put your goddamn shoes on. We're late for school. Goddamn, I need breakfast for you. Oh dude, this is what I I've already caught myself telling Indy was like I already had a job. I was already doing my miss what are you doing?
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, Oh my.
Speaker 1: God hates it already does already hates that I was a kid actor because I could throw that in his face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, man. Well let's talk a little bit more about camp nowhere. It was nineteen ninety four. It's like who's who of kid actors at the time. Jonathan, Really it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like the movie everybody wanted apart because there were like fifty parts in it. And I think I went back like multiple times like no, you're gonna be Ronnie, No, you'll be this. You know. She just kept like mixing and matching all of young Hollywood.
Speaker 5: And now I wish you would have didn't get it.
Speaker 1: I've seen it.
Speaker 2: Jonathan Jackson, who ended up being on Boy Meets World for an episode recent Yeah, he played He played the guy who takes Topanga on a date after Corey cheats on Topanga. He's in the Starry Night episode. Recent guest of the on our podcast Andrew Keagan, Alison Mack, Jessica Biele, and also in it, Heather DeLoach, best known as the Bee Girl in Blind Melons.
Speaker 5: No Way, that's incredible. Wow, I remember I remember her being it was like such a coupe was on set, like she was were she was the most famous person. She was the most famous kid of course for the Bee Girl. Yeah, uh yeah, it was. It was such an incredible unique experience because we shot on the Disney ranch, so you're out in the middle of nowhere literally and it was just all these young actors. I was one of the oldest. I remember that that. I was. Me and Devin Oatway were two of the oldest, and it was just you were either in a classroom goofing off I mean you know how yeah, not set school school, but it's not really school doing. There's like goofing off and doing school, or we were filming being in a summer camp. Yeah, it was just incredible. It was I'm going.
Speaker 2: To assume that wasn't the same experience you had at boarding school, and we've already heard that it wasn't the experience you had at home where you were very much the adult in your household. So what was it like for you to be in a rather protect did, super fun place surrounded by like minded kids your own age. Was that like a very freeing experience. It feels like it would be life changing.
Speaker 5: You ask good questions, Danielle, Yeah, it was, you do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's why would just keep our mouth shut.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: It was very It was wonderful. I think one of the things that made me fall in love with being on set is the schedule, the predictability of it. Yeah, the people telling me what to do, what to wear. Obviously, the gratification and the oh you're funny, you're pretty, you're good, or whatever. But I think this schedule of it, and I think that what my childhood did prepare me for is when you are a child actor, you you are. It is a real asset to be mature and professional and to be able to handle yourself. Yes, I was. I was very practiced in that, so that was a really sharp tool that I had in my toolbox. And I think, I think, I do think it is is an aspect of why I worked very quickly and very steadily, because I think producers or sets or whoever recognize that and it and it behooves them.
Speaker 3: They want an adult in a child's body. Yes, that's that's what they're looking for. They want a little adult in a child's body. And it's so funny because the things you're mentioning about the structure and everything is exactly what you get at a military boarding school.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, but it is. It's that same thing.
Speaker 3: It's you're going to eat this time, You're going to wear this when you're there, You're going to do these chores you're going to do. It sounded like that's what you were looking for, was more of the structure that you know.
Speaker 2: I find so fascinating is that, like Hillary just mentioned, for most kids, the feeling you have if you started working as a child is a lot of times you look back and you think, but needing to be so mature made me miss out on a true childhood. I've been an adult since I was so long, for so long, since I was so young. And in her case, she was like, oh, you're going to tell me when to show up. I don't have to make the schedule myself and do the work of it. So, if anything, the fact that it was set up for you allowed you more of an opportunity to be a kid than you had ever had before. You were like, yeah, the maturity I'm going to bring no matter what, because it's all I've known. But now you set the schedule, you tell me what to wear, you do my hair and makeup, and then when I do a good job, you tell me I'm doing a good job.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I get to play a kid who's playing right?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 5: So yeah, it was. It was a really special I've been so blessed to have a few really special experiences, but Camp Camp Nowhere was really one of them for sure.
Speaker 2: Wow, I love it.
Speaker 3: So if we do a rewatch, will you of Camp Nowhere? Will you come back and watch it with us?
Speaker 5: Oh my god? Yes? And if you have, like your son is is how old?
Speaker 3: Nine?
Speaker 5: Nine? Yeah, it's the perfect time to watch the movie. It's it like I don't I don't want to go so far to say it holds up, but it holds up, and it holds up for a nine year old, it holds out. It's really fun. It's definitely the time to watch it.
Speaker 3: I should do that. I haven't seen that. I haven't seen it either, so I'd like to watch that. I've now heard so much about this movie.
Speaker 5: And I would have to make fun of it with you. We should have to have a whole like me and Andrew and whoever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do it?
Speaker 4: Oh it sounds great.
Speaker 2: Can we talk hangtime for a second.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: So you appeared in thirteen episodes as team manager Samantha Morgan and it has really built like a niche cult following as the spiritual TNBC sister of Saved by the Bell. So it's so nostalgic now, especially among basketball fans. And I would just like to name some of the other guest stars Anthony Anderson, Jay Hernandez, dick Butt, Kiss Screech in a crossover episode, Muggsy Bogues, Lizza Leslie Florence, Griffith Joyner, and an eighteen year old NBA rookie named Kobe Bryant. Yeah, I love Do you remember what you were up?
Speaker 4: And Tom was a great show. It was.
Speaker 5: It was a really fun show. I remember. So I want to say that I want to say this begare does it relate? I want to go back to the first episode that I did of Boy Meets World, because I think it does relate to Hangtime because did I do Boy Meets World first, or did I do Hangtime first? I did Boy Meets World first. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think boy meets were yeah, boy meets Yeah, boy Mee's World was ninety five.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes.
Speaker 5: So what I remember about the first episode of Boy Meets World is that I started watching it and I didn't remember I had been in it. I had conflated the first and the second episode together, because in the first episode I only have one line. What is interesting is that when I watched it, I remembered two things. One, I was deathly afraid I was going to get fired because Michael Jacobs. All I have is this like look up and over and I say my line high corey or whatever. And I can remember him basically giving me a line, reading a physical line, reading like like no no, no, no, no no, like this, and he showed me what to do, and luckily I was able to be a puppet and do that.
Speaker 3: Well, that's acting, right, everyone knows, everyone knows.
Speaker 4: Ignore your instincts and just parrot what you yourself.
Speaker 1: Don't make any choices, just do exactly what this man wants.
Speaker 5: And I can remember being like terrified that I wasn't going to do it the way he wanted, and that I was going to get fired. And the other memory that I have is that what was crazy to me is as I'm watching the rest of the episode I knew probably thirty percent of y'all's lines as they were about to be said. And why I remember this is my aunt would have me sit in the stands when I wasn't doing homework, way in the back, and she would have me study y'all. Wow, And because I was so new to it, and so she was like she wanted me to study and notice not only like the comedic timing and set up, set up, punchline and yes and and all of those things, and also how do series regulars behave on set? Right? What is the like? What? How? What does it look like? And so she would have me just sit back there and just watch them. And the feeling that I remember because I remember she said to me, is this what you want? Do you want something like this? And I remember having the thought that it And I don't know if this was y'all experience. My impression of y'all is that it seemed like y'all had a lot of pressure on you, like there was there was a lot writing on the four shoulders of the minors, right, and and that I also wanted.
Speaker 2: It, and that it was fun.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it was fun. Yes, it did seem like it was. There was a lot of it. I don't know, it just seemed like a lot of pressure. So when I got hang time and I was a series regular, I think, like, I can't tell you specifically what I gleaned from y'all, but I definitely was a case study and I definitely use some of that in like being a professional and how to be a series regular, because you know, being a series regular is different than being a guest star, so and your job is different.
Speaker 4: So uh yeah.
Speaker 5: It was a great thirteen episodes until I got fired after the first season off. Yeah, I'm only in the first season. I was fired.
Speaker 4: What happened? And we asked, what happened?
Speaker 1: They just write you off?
Speaker 5: They just wrote me off. Samantha Morgan, lead team manager. I think they wanted to retool the show they make it. By the way, I was not the only one fired. I think they let go of a third of the cast, and I was one of them. And there was never like a like Warren Littlefield was not calling me up and be like, Hillary, we love your work, we've decided to go in a different direction. It was none of that. It was my agent saying you're not coming back on to the next and then I was, I was, I was devastated. But you know then I then I booked another series and it was meant to be. But yeah, it was. It was fun for those thirteen episodes. We had a lot of hijinks.
Speaker 2: Well, let's talk about your three characters on Boy Meets World.
Speaker 4: You're rafied. You're in a rarefied club.
Speaker 5: Thank you. Did anyone else have that? Have you had guest stars who come back because rent?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So, Phil Leads also played three different characters, Willy Garrison, Willie Garson played three different characters, and one of our nerdy characters from the beginning, Jonathan Kaplan Jonathan C.
Speaker 5: Kaplin Exactly so, and so did any of them have an idea as to why they were given different character names?
Speaker 2: Well, we haven't been able to ask Phil Leads. He's he's died in like ninety eight.
Speaker 5: He died.
Speaker 2: Oh sorry, he's been unavailable since unavailable. Willie Garson is also unavailable, and we haven't talked to Jonathan Kaplan, I think.
Speaker 1: You were probably just a favorite of Michael and the and the casting team, you know, like they just must have Sally and Barbie just must have loved you. And they were like, well, let's just bring Hillary back and they were like, yes, did you?
Speaker 4: Did you have to audition all three times?
Speaker 5: I auditioned for the first two and like what I remember of what I remember of the second episode, like Barbie Blair was such a was such a fan of mine, and I'm sure you guys have had this too, Like there's just certain casting directors who have been instrumental, even if they didn't hire you in something of just making you, reminding you of your value. Yea, and Barbie Block was one of those for me. And uh so, yeah the second episode. I did audition four and it was should we talk about the second episode now?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: That great?
Speaker 5: Okay, I did audition four. What I remember about it is it was my favorite of the three, yes, because I got, like I remember experiencing in that booth with you and Ben like a really playing being allowed to play a little bit and it wasn't so micro managed and having fun and I was funny. I mean, yeah, yeah, I got jokes, which is always nice. And I can remember going from it was such a one eighty moment for me because the first episode, Michael was to me, he didn't seem like someone who always knew how to talk to a child, very gradius. Oh okay, okay, so this is something that you've talked about before. Wonderful yes, And I was. I was really afraid of him. And then after we did the second episode me I remember coming off and I was walking around the ramp to the backside, and he stopped me. And I don't know who he was talking to, somebody, an executive or someone, and he was like, this, this is a funny girl. We need more of this. She gets it. And it was I've had like that moment and then a moment with Rose and Barr of these like paradigm shifts of me going, oh, I'm funny, I can do this. I'm enough, you know I And it was it was like a huge boost of confidence for me of like being giving myself permission, of like I'm on the right track, my instincts are good. Whatever. So yeah that I remember it being a really fun episode. And even when I saw it, there's plenty of things that I see twenty years later and I'm not I have to just go Well, I was young and I've learned a lot, but I'm still proud of that. I thought it was a fun, it was a fun character.
Speaker 2: It was super fun. And so then you auditioned for those first two and then you get asked back to do the absolutely iconic, not necessarily incredible, but iconic Disney World episode.
Speaker 1: And it's a character.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, right, yeah, So they Barbie Block called and said they want to have you back one more time. We can't have you back more than three times because then we have to pay you recurring character rate.
Speaker 4: Really, so I did not know that at all.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so this will be your last episode. But because it's your last episode, we want to take you. We want you to be in the Disney World episode. Wow, you do know, which was so lovely. The first time i'd been off for a role, I didn't have to audition for it. It's the first time that I got to go anywhere and someone, and you know, traveling on your our own is very different than the network traveling you. Yeah, and I felt really special. And then I got the script and like, oh, I'm going to play a soon to be stalker and like this characters learning how to be a stalker awesome, and it was it was thankless. It was one note, but I had so much fun. I mean, it's just that.
Speaker 1: And by that point we had already done the play. We were already friends, like yeah, it was so.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we we it was, it was, it was, it was great. It was have we done the play by then?
Speaker 1: And we must have? Yeah, because that was ninety six, yeah yeah, and we've done the play in ninety five, so yeah. Yeah. So I wonder if if it was because of your second Boy Meets World appearance that you were in the play like I won, Yeah, And I wonder if it was just like, oh we should just yeah, I don't.
Speaker 5: My guess is that Bruce and get Kelly connected because Bruce was around, Kelly was around, and Kelly probably got me in Bruce's acting.
Speaker 1: Class, right, so then we were just in acting class. We were like, let's put together a play. Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah. And then I got to go up and and visit Writer and Shiloh and their their Shire house, which was incredible.
Speaker 2: The best.
Speaker 3: Yeah, did he show you his grappling hook?
Speaker 5: Is that some sort of.
Speaker 4: He literally grappling hook.
Speaker 1: I hadn't made it yet, guys. Okay, well, actually maybe I have lost it, but lost it was.
Speaker 2: The tree somewhere.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't remember the graph. I remember them teaching me magic. I remember playing magic with with Writer and Shiloh and Nate. I remember like just coming to I remember being so enchant with your family because I came and it was more the lifestyle, Like I grew up in the country, but this was like a decidedly hippie lifestyle, which coming from Texas, I was not used to. And like coming in and meeting miss Lynn and mister King in this shire of redwood forest trees they like he built with his bare hands, and and like your mom was like so loving and nurturing, and I just remember like just falling in love with the family like that sort of like it felt so normal to me. And I'm sure like every family is quirky and not as normal as they seem, but to me, it was like this house full of dependability and everyone was so unaffected by and you and your brother.
Speaker 1: It's still there. It's still there, and it's still he was lovely and welcoming. No, it's way more beautiful than it used to be like my dad just kept building stuff. I mean now he's eighty one, but yeah, I mean the place is gorgeous and like, yeah, we go up all the time. It's it's lovely. It's so you got to come up, bring your kids, it's.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was many kids have super special I have too. How old are seven and nine? Amazing?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Indy will have a blast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got to come up, come up to the Shire.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they and was your I remember mister King being like very mister King.
Speaker 1: He's healthier than me right now, like he could still still at eighty one. He has more fit than me. He could kick my ass.
Speaker 5: Right because I remember me like the peak of fitness.
Speaker 2: He's amazed, like a specimen of a man.
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly, it still is.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So going back to Florida episodes taking us from the Shire back to Florida. Do you have no no, no, we the detour. Do you have any like specific behind the scenes memories or on the scenes memories about being in Florida? Did you ride any rides fifty times?
Speaker 5: Oh? Oh so I remember thinking I was like I had made it. This was the pinnacle, the zenith of my career, like screw oscars.
Speaker 1: This backstage at Disney World.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that we had and I think, now you can pay for these, but at the time you could not pay for these. No have a personal.
Speaker 1: Guide, guest relations, gest.
Speaker 5: Relations, and I just remember it would be like, okay, now we're going to move to this other set and all of us would run to this guide and he would take us to the front of the line to a right Yeah. And I was with like I wasn't recognizable, but all of you were recognizable. So there was It was like my first brush of this is what fame is. No photographs, please, you don't know.
Speaker 1: Terror one more time, let's go we could.
Speaker 5: Just really I remember that. And I remember there being a cast dinner at a new restaurant at Cot the like whatever. The coolest one was.
Speaker 1: The Italian one? Was it?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 5: And I remember a very long table with all of us.
Speaker 2: Remember I remember that dinner too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So these all sound like amazing story his career. Not I'll get there eventually, but this is it sounds like you guys had a blast.
Speaker 4: We did, we did.
Speaker 5: It was it was really fun. Will. What I remember about you is like one he's an adult like don't talk to him, but like also just your uh you were so sharp on set, Like that's what I remember, like, I remember you being sharp. I remember I remember you seeing watching you do scenes, and like you would do it again and again and again. And what was incredible about was that you you had the underpinnings of the comedy, like you understood the comedy of it, but you were able to play within that musicality. And I remember that. I remember being very impressed by that. Thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll trade it all to go to Florida. Sounds like it would have been fun once in an.
Speaker 2: Italian restaurant with all these great young child actors as opposed to uh, just taco bell at home and being funny.
Speaker 5: Do you do you think they still because what I I remember about those what was special about the restaurants is you could go to a different world. Yeah, different like you could go to China or you could go to Italy. And what I remember is that in the world I would probably they don't have it because it would be like this weird appropriation thing of like them dressing in cartoonish Italian get garburb and cartoonishes like Japanese it's probably.
Speaker 1: Not actually hired people from those countries to work there. That was always Is that still the way it works, like.
Speaker 4: I hope. So I haven't been to Epcot in forever.
Speaker 3: Did they still gay?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they give you that passport.
Speaker 3: I still have my Epcot passport and you get it stamped at every every country you go to. And then when you got older, Epcot was the only place at the time on Disney property where you could buy alcohol. So when you hit twenty one, then you would do called drinking around the world, and you saw how many times you could make it around having a drink in each country, and you know, there's people that.
Speaker 4: Are like my third time around the world.
Speaker 3: That are just hammered it Disney World. Yeah, was that it was much different when you were over twenty one by that point.
Speaker 5: Oh, that's so interesting. That feels very in Disney like it is.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure you can do that anymore. I don't think they I'm not sure they allow it anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who was your like, who was your crew? Who was your group of friends in Los Angeles?
Speaker 5: Well around that time, truly, I think writer and and and Shiloh and the Tom sisters, like that was a part of it.
Speaker 1: And then and used to come to our house and scene I remember we had a house in Encino, I mean Texas.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I mean Texas, that's right.
Speaker 1: And with the pool yeah, so that would have been yeah.
Speaker 5: And then I think that sort of ended when Shiloh when I brought Shiloh home to meet my family, and uh, he.
Speaker 2: Tell us the details he was when did you guys? Do you guys dated?
Speaker 5: Yes, we dated. That's why I would go up and visit. That was another thing that I remember, like, how cool how miss Lynn and mister King they're letting us sleep in the same room together while I visit.
Speaker 1: Likes basically in our family, you were grown up at eleven years old?
Speaker 3: Just right?
Speaker 5: No, no, no, when you were older? I was, I was, but yeah, and then I made the dire mistake of bringing him home to visit my family, which is have you guys ever seen did you guys see this last season of The Bear?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: So the flashback episode, Danielle, you.
Speaker 2: Know what, I've never seen it even Oh.
Speaker 5: God, okay, well when you see it, the flashback episode of them growing up? That was my family, so not different for Shiloh. And so.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to ask about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and so I was there. It's been two guys in my life who had like really like broken my heart, and truthfully, Shilah was one of them. Because we were in Texas, Nate and his girlfriend came down to visit. We went and saw the bat Caves. I thought everything was going well, and then Shilah woke up and he was like, Hey, I'm gonna go because I don't I don't want to do this, and I think you think that, like I'm your boyfriend and I'm not.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I remember driving in silence the hour to go from Kerrville to the UH to San Antonio to drop off off of the airport. My mom's radio did not work, so it was just us in silence.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember. I just remember being I remember being sad because I was like, oh, you're not dating Hillar and he was like no. I came home and I remember, like what.
Speaker 5: In retrospect, I can't believe he hung out as long as he did. Like Shiloh and you were both old souls, but in this retro in this situation, you guys were he was way too ginger to be thrown it. I mean, I don't know what it was.
Speaker 1: I think it might have just been commitment in general. I don't think, because I don't remember any him saying anything negative about Texas or you or your family at all. All I remember is him just being like, oh, I don't want to be in a relationship. I'm not ready here.
Speaker 5: Let's be clear. It was my family, not me. Don't ruin this for me.
Speaker 1: It was the commitment, is what I'm saying. It was commitment and nothing to do with He was just like, oh, wait, we're like dating now. Oh And it was like, yeah, dumb ass, you're going to visit her in Texas. Of course you're dating. But I think he like woke up and was like what she live? Boyfriend? Girlfriend? No, which is just like being whatever eighteen seventeen and being like I don't have to be in a relationship with somebody, what an idiot? No, never about you or no, like yeah, no, he just freaked out about commitment and like being dating somebody.
Speaker 5: I I hold so much love for Shiloh.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, you guys just recently talked. He was like that he brought you up, and I was like, wait, we would try to get. We should have her on the podcast. Yeah, that's so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fear of commitment was something he had in his fisherman's vest. Who could have seen it coming.
Speaker 1: Deep in one of those pottle back hidden pocket.
Speaker 5: That's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: To his pipe and smoking and then jump up pipe.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, he smoked a.
Speaker 1: Pipe, isn't it ridiculous? With a bowling hat, with a bowler hat smoking a pipe and hacky sacking and and and juggling and cycles he could he learned how to use cycles. I mean, this man and he was still cool, Like that's what's amazing. You take the accumulation and you described Shiloh at sixteen and you're like, what a dorky, weird theater to and instead it was like and effortlessly cool and him when you were like, wow, this got Yeah, it's it's a very strange vibe, like it is. I guess in a way it would be like a burning man vibe now, but it wasn't then. It was just cool in its own sort of way.
Speaker 3: It's like a whole bunch of really bizarre ingredients that somehow still make a really good dish. Yeah, it's like, how did those five things equals something amazing.
Speaker 1: Ninety six. It's a good vintage fun can't commit, don't commit, don't take him home.
Speaker 2: I want to get to you. Starring in the TV version of Honey I Shrunk the Kids, which was massive because the movie was so popular. The promotional tour for this must have been insane for you. Was this a fun experience considering all the effects and Peter Scillari playing your dad? Like, was it an overall great experience?
Speaker 5: Oh? My gosh, it was. It was the best experience. It was. We were I left. I left my sophomore year of college to go up there and shoot it. It was Peter Sclari who I worked on in Camp Nowhere.
Speaker 4: Oh, he was in Camp Nowhere too.
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, and then Barbara Allan Woods who played my mom, who ended up very quickly we became best friends. We moved in together for about three months into the first season. We loved each other so much.
Speaker 1: Where were in Canada or Yeah?
Speaker 5: We were shooting in Calgary, which is like Texas. It is the Texas of Canada. And I'm you know, I'm the god daughter to her oldest daughter. I stood at her wedding like and we were we were family really and Peter. I feel like my real education and comedy came from Peter, Like he taught me. He taught me comedy, and he taught me how to be a number one on the set, like what is it like how do you lead a ship as an actor? And he was a consummate professional and he like really showed me how do we keep it loose on the set? How do we allow and like create a space for play. And the guests are you know, like you guys have had an incredible guest star and me too. I'm actually watching the series with my kids right now and I haven't seen it in twenty five years, and I cannot believe the guest starters we've had, just like what So, yeah, it was, it was it was fair. We shot nine months out of the year on film Wow, so we were shooting a nine month movie every year, So it was it was really intense hours. You know, twelve fourteen hours is not a little little more than the than the multi camp.
Speaker 6: Yeah, a little differently, and the visual effects were a lot that I have, like, you know, fell in love like really hardcore for the first time lived.
Speaker 2: I hope he didn't have a commitment phobia.
Speaker 5: He did not have a commitment good. Yeah, yeah it turned out I did. But but but could he juggle?
Speaker 2: Was he an actor?
Speaker 5: He was not? No, he did. He did the he did the storyboards on the show.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it was like it was a it was a family. We would all have Thanksgiving together, we would, I mean it was it was a real family. And I have such good memories and what I learned on that show was just so much. It was my Yeah, it was my education in comedy for sure.
Speaker 4: Well he was.
Speaker 3: Peter Scalari was one of I mean the show obviously the subject matter of the show people would have a problem with nowadays, But Buzz and Buddies is one of the greatest comedies ever on TV. Him and Tom Hanks as roommates, and they were killing it week after week. I mean, they were so good. So yeah, he was one of those guys who just had that innate comic timing inside of him and then you'd go see him do something dramatic and he was incredible. So he was just one of those actors, just one of those consummate actors. Yeah, he's one of my favorite of all time. He really is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and just one of the kindest, most generous humans I ever met. You know, he's the one who taught me. He's the one who taught me like when I end a show, like if I guest star on a show, I'm writing thank you notes to everybody at the end of the show. You know, he was every year we would I would send out thank you notes to every single person in the crew and cast because he taught me to do that. You know, things that are just like the generosity was. Yeah, yeah, he is messed.
Speaker 4: I'd love to hear that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he sadly passed away in twenty twenty one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, another another unavailable actor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's right. Do you ever get recognized for Boy Meets World?
Speaker 5: I didn't recognize for Boy Meets World. Truthfully, it has been a while since I have been recognized at all. It's usually it's usually like yeah, it's like usually in the airport and they're like, oh my god, you were you were at the Johnston's wedding this weekend, right, I'm like, oh no, no, oh, oh, so you went to Michigan. Yes, that's how I know you. Yes, No, I didn't go to Michigan.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 5: And I've even had times where I will be with like my embarrassing father who is so quick to be like she's she's an actress, she's been on everything to literally said no, no, that's not it, like okay, yes.
Speaker 1: I had people argue with me. They're like, we went to high school together. I'm like, no, no, no, we really didn't. I didn't go high school.
Speaker 5: I went to eight children go to high school on TV.
Speaker 1: But it was not our, like, it was not your It's like I get argues like, that's not it. Okay. I don't know what to tell.
Speaker 4: The I don't know what to tell you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I don't think. I don't remember if I've been recognized. I do know. That is the question that I always get. It's my favorite question, Oh you're an actress. What have you been on? Because like, well, I'll decide if you're an actress, prove it right, And I.
Speaker 1: Heard of the finishing touches, right, yes, and.
Speaker 5: If they are between thirty and forty five fifty, I know I can say. I've often said like a quick thing is boy meets were like ooh, like because you want to like what can I what is the what is the quickest way that I can validate what I do to you so that I don't have to run through my resume because.
Speaker 1: If you say, honey, I shrunk the kids, they're like, I love that movie, and you're like, not the most god like there was a TV show.
Speaker 4: And then you're like why why why.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 2: So you have two kids, as you mentioned, yew, would you feel if they wanted to act? Do they act?
Speaker 5: I one of my daughter I think is going to be more creative. My son is like all sports all the time, which is great because that's his dad's deal. So I think I'm trying not to push it. But she does seem she has to take piano lessons. She asked to take singing lessons, so I think she may do something creative. As far as if she wants to do something in the creative arts, I'm totally cool with that. As far as being a professional actor before she's an adult, I don't know. I guess, you know, as Ted Kennedy would say, we'll drive off that bridge when we come to it, I don't think we'll go over that. I don't know. Yeah, that's how I don't know. I would want to. You know, it's such a big part of who I am. I don't know. Yeah, that's not an answer.
Speaker 2: But I appreciate the honesty because I really think so much of parenting is being able to admit. I don't have the answer for that yet, but I know I'll come to the conclusion when the situation presents itself. And you know, I only had all the answers about parenting before I was a parent. I knew everything then. I was a fantastic parent. Before I had children, we were not gonna have screen time. There were no screen time at meals, all the things you like.
Speaker 5: Your kids have screen time.
Speaker 2: I know, honestly, it's amazing they're alive, but yes I do. And they've also occasionally eaten a fruit snack. It's what now I know. Well, in our doing of the research of you that we did before you came on the show, we found out that you help coach young actors now paying it forward with all of the years of experience you had, Can you tell us about that?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I do. I I would say that now my main my my career is the CEO of my family. I don't want to say that. I mean, I still have reps, but I would say I'm probably I would consider myself certainly semi retired at least, you know, the pandemic hit and I'm such a cliche, but it really made me re examine my life and like what was what was enough? And I think the I think the whys of why I was acting, which before were to prove to others and to myself that I was enough, that I was worthy, that I was I had risen above my station. All of those things they just didn't apply anymore, and I don't think they'd applied for a while. But acting was all that I knew, and so I think I was able to let a lot of that sort of go during the pandemic and just like sit and go, Okay, well what buckets? I only have the bandwidth for two or three buckets in my life. What do I want to fail? And I had I had been certainly before teaching at a studio called Warner Laughlin Studios, which I still I teach the masterclass there now, And that's sort of my that's my love, Like that's where I exactly what you said, like being of service sort of helping to guide or remind these these actors that they don't have to suffer for the craft. And that it can be fun and play, and so I do that, and then I also do some some training like mindset work for for actors, as far as is helping them with pre performance and post performance so that they can I don't know, I just I noticed there's this sports psychologist, Michael Gervay who says you can only train three things your mind, your body, and your craft. And a friend of mine and I found that everyone in Hollywood, which is like the Olympics of acting, everyone was training their craft, everyone was training their body, but no one seemed to be training their mind. And we just started looking at the science of sports psychology and like, how do you, like, how do you level up when you can't do any more reps and you can't you know, do any more whatever they do in practices. I'm not a sports fan, but the science, it's all just performance science. And so we just sort of took that and like, how do we apply that to actors performing? Like why is no one training? Why is no one training their mind? Before? Because it what they were all the training they were doing in their craft was not showing up in the room, and we wondered why. So we just started being interesting definitely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hillary, it is so good to see you, and you it's so awesome to talk to you, because it's like, not only do you look the same, you are the same. You were like the coolest, most mature, unflappable, like you were a full grown woman when I knew you back then, and you you are now. It's so cool. I just I love you. It's so great to see you.
Speaker 5: I'm so glad I was changed. I was so nervous, I think especially for Danielle and will because I was like, how do I how did I come off when I was fifteen? Because my uh at fifteen, I think my fifteen in sixteen, my sort of one I felt insecure. My roat thing was to get like very stone cold and sort of intimidate and be sort of stand offish, which luckily I.
Speaker 4: Don't remember that at all. I just remember you being I mean, you and I didn't work together.
Speaker 3: I don't think ever, no, But but I just remember you being very nice and fitting in and getting along with everybody.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's kind of the only thing I remember.
Speaker 5: Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't remember I don't remember feeling like you were stand offish, but I definitely knew that you were very close to the Strong family and it felt like, you know, the friendship was with them, and so there, I do remember feeling like there isn't room for friendship with me, even though I was friends with writer too. But it did very much feel like Hillary belongs to the Strongs.
Speaker 5: And so interesting because I felt the same way about you and Andrew.
Speaker 2: Right, well, Andrew and I did belong to each other.
Speaker 5: That's no way that Disney It.
Speaker 4: Was like you'll were right.
Speaker 1: We all did the Disney World episode together, of course.
Speaker 2: And that that is absolutely true. Andrew was mine there, like Andrew was my friend who was there, and I felt very protective over him, like you know, so yes to you are spot on.
Speaker 3: I wasn't anybody's and I wasn't a Disney and I wasn't at Disney World.
Speaker 1: And you're not coming again.
Speaker 3: I was just alone time by myself and I will eat by myself.
Speaker 4: You had Pops the world.
Speaker 2: You got it.
Speaker 5: You got the week off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, got pay for a week do nothing.
Speaker 4: That's the same.
Speaker 2: Sorry, So Hillary, Sorry, looking back now thirty years later, looking on your at your work as a child in the nineties, with everything that you went through and now all of the teaching and helping to train the minds of other actors. What do you feel when you watch young Hillary on screen.
Speaker 5: Oh, that's so good. I think I am. I would say I'm ninety percent, like just really, I think I'm proud of her. I think she did, like she rose above her station. She had some really cool friends, she had some really good times. I think she proved herself to be an actor, you know, who could hang, who could hang with other good actors. Like, you know, she wasn't a she took it seriously, she wasn't a hack. You know. I wish I could tell her now, you were worth it, even if you didn't book it, you were worth it, even if you weren't as good as you were, you know, like you were worthy of all of that. But mostly I think it brings back like that was fun, that was a special thing. Not every fifteen year old gets to do those kind of things.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, and not every fifteen year old is able to rise to the occasion and come out the other side of it with positive stories and able to make a positive contribution continuing and moving forward. So not only were you worthy, but you are in the top tier of people who were ever able to do it, and your life now is evidence of that. So thank you so much for being here with us and spending this time with us and reconnecting. I want to give you a big hug or close the screen I know and see.
Speaker 4: No like I can reach out.
Speaker 2: I think it's about a three hour flight, so we should. We could probably be there this weekend.
Speaker 3: You know we're thinking of Andcino Calgary totally.
Speaker 2: Let's please get together.
Speaker 5: I would love that you guys anytime. You guys would love if any of you want to come in and uh co teach my masterclass with me. We could do a multi cam night. What a what a wonderful How lucky these these actors would be to get you to be so much?
Speaker 2: That would be cool, That would be fun.
Speaker 5: I would love to you guys.
Speaker 3: There's an Italian place in Encino with a giant long table.
Speaker 4: We can go see that called Buka Deo right there.
Speaker 2: But do they have people dressed in Italian?
Speaker 5: That's what I remember is they would talk. But like we thought it was great, but now I'm in retrospect.
Speaker 2: Hillary, thank you so much for being here. Can't wait to see you again soon.
Speaker 5: Yes, y'all take care. I have a great day.
Speaker 2: Bye bye. Man is she incredible?
Speaker 4: She sucks?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, it's just the worst, horrible, horrible interview, just like she's the best I like I It was so funny. The second her face appeared on screen, I was filled with longing, like I just missed her, and you know, and it's one of those things, like I guess in a weird way, we probably it's because she and Shiloh that they broke up and we lost our friendship as a result, right, which is the bummer?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: I mean that, but that happens with with siblings.
Speaker 2: And you know, I didn't even know they dated. I mean I gathered it from at the beginning, and I.
Speaker 1: Realized, now that's why we lost touch. Otherwise we never would have lost touch. I loved Hillary, like it's so good to see her.
Speaker 4: I just love hearing that they got to share a bed in my family. Literally, even if you were engaged, you could not. When you were married, you could share a bed.
Speaker 2: Listen at Ryder's house. YEA tie your own shoes.
Speaker 5: You were in.
Speaker 4: Adult, allowed to be in bed with whoever you are.
Speaker 2: What you need to tie your shoes because no one was wearing sho exactly add to the woods with this knife see you later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, that's true.
Speaker 2: I really loved talking to her and hearing about her life that I knew absolutely nothing about before the sun.
Speaker 1: I've never read that about her mom. That's super interesting and actually, you know, makes a lot of sense. The way you analyze d Daniel was acts exactly right, and the way she's talked about like maturity being almost more important than talent at that age, and it's so true, Like you see that, you see that the child actors that end up working a lot, especially under ten, have a preternatural like maturity level almost more than they can act. Like the important part is can you be cool on set? Can you be cool with memorizing lines?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 2: Are you so smart handle the blocking?
Speaker 1: Can you handle the blocking? Like all that is almost more important than your ability to like be present in the moment or make choices honestly, which is what so much of acting is, you realize as you get older.
Speaker 2: But yeah, interesting, God, so cool to see her. Thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show you can send us your emails Pod Meets World Show at gmail dot com, and we have merch.
Speaker 4: Shiloh can't commit to.
Speaker 2: March Podmeets Worldshow dot com. Poor Shiloh, he's taking We have to Shiloh, come by, tell us his side of the story, will send us out.
Speaker 4: We love you all, pod dismissed.
Speaker 3: Podmets World is nheart podcast producer and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfredell and Ryder Strong executive producers, Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tara Sudbaksh producer, Maddy Moore, engineer and Boy Meets World super fan Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon and you can follow us on Instagram at Podmeets World Show or email us at Podmeets World Show at gmail dot com.