Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn the stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Noah.
Speaker 3: They called me Ben. We're joined as always with our super producer Dylan the Tennessee pal Fagan. Most importantly, you are you.
Speaker 4: You are here.
Speaker 3: That makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. Guys. I almost add the stuff they do not want you to know, but that's going to mess up our cadence.
Speaker 4: It's too formal, man to formal.
Speaker 3: It's a little too formal.
Speaker 5: I think contractions only here on the pod, contractions only and contracts Tonight is not necessarily a political episode, but just so you know going in, this does hinge on a specific piece of famous real estate in the United States that is often involved with politics.
Speaker 3: Technically, this is also a bit of a food episode. Quick question as we're starting off, have either of you guys ever visited the White House? Nolan and I were talking about this a little off air.
Speaker 4: I've just seen it from like, you know, through the gates but I've never taken a tour. I was never invited.
Speaker 3: Well, you went to that protest.
Speaker 4: I was at the protest, the Women's March thing for a work related thing. And then yeah, it was crazy. The day before was the day Trump was inaugurator the first time. It was like everything was on fire and they were like low flying hellic. I'm not joking. There were like newspaper boxes on fire and people like like swat people in riot gear and people throwing molotov cocktails through windows.
Speaker 3: It was wild.
Speaker 4: And then the Women's March day was quite a contrast.
Speaker 2: What about you and that, Well, we've all been through DC for part of our tour years and years ago. I remember shooting a video of you ben right outside of the White House on the other side of that fence that is like shown all the time.
Speaker 3: Where it is legal to film.
Speaker 2: Mm hm oh yeah, that's public property. Totally totally on the up and up there. I have been there personally. I've not been to the White House. But it's not just the White House we're talk about, right, We're talking about several different palatial estates across the world.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 2: We're also going to be one of the main reasons we're talking about this is because the conspiracyphere lit up immediately after the events, will be discussing today with wild claims. Yeah, some that are you know, with the Epstein files, with the releases of those, they've become less insane perhaps, but they're still like on that fringe level because we are talking about perhaps eating humans with Yeah, yep.
Speaker 4: This is this is where we're talking about presidential favorite meals.
Speaker 3: This is technically a food episode, so all three of us are working are correct, but do be worn, folks. As my pal Matt said, this one gets dark. Let's stroll over to the White House and figure out some backgrounds here. This is our here of the facts part is going to be a bunch of I don't know, really cool stuff for nerds.
Speaker 4: Let's find out what's for dinner.
Speaker 3: Here are the facts, Okay, folks, As you can imagine, whether or not you live in these United States, sixteen hundred Pennsylvania Avenue is a big deal. It's where our commander in chief technically lives during their time in office, and it's an old building. They employ a lot of people. Just quick stats, the White House has roughly four hundred to five hundred direct staff is what they're called in the White House Office, and then they have about ninety residents and maintenance workers. So roughly like also, if you count the building next door, the Executive Office of the President, they have eighteen hundred total personnel. So right now the closest numbers we have are from July of twenty twenty six. The White House directly employs four hundred and eleven folks.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, obviously a lot of those folks that are in and out of there are working in you know, kind of governmental capacities, you know, are part of cabinet and things like that. But we're also talking about the kind of staff that say, like a palatial estate might employ or dare we say a castle.
Speaker 3: You know, in a state, a manor. That's what it is. Right Typically, when we imagine someone saying, oh, hey, babe, I work at the White House, we might think of secret service or high level politicians, cabinet members, kitchen cabinet joke on the way, and of course, you know, the president of the United States. But no, you make such a wonderful point. The reality for a lot of the folks here is way less glamorous because this is a big, palatial, opulent building. It is also very old. So even when there is not construction on say a ballroom slash.
Speaker 4: Bunker right, bunker b ballam bunker right.
Speaker 3: Even even when there's not construction like that, sixteen hundred, Pennsylvania needs a pretty sizable active team of people doing all the stuff that never hits the news. Who cleans those roups, right, who's our hvac guy, who mows the law and et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 4: Groundskeepers. I mean, like you know, landscaping, the rose garden, all that kind of stuff. They got to keep it looking nice. Now it's a little different these days, but that's the kind of stuff we're talking about.
Speaker 2: It reminds me a lot of many of the staff that were employed by the Piedmont Driving Club who were meant to not even really be seen. It says, though you are invisible, you move through these huge ballrooms and you know, massive rooms underground areas for employees only where you can get from one place to another without the members seeing you, or in this case, the upper staff of the White House doing those things like like you said, tending to the outside, the inside, the roof, literally everything including the kitchens.
Speaker 3: You know, it's weird too. That's a great point, Matt about Piedmont Driving Club. It's weird too for us as Americans to realize how Downton Abbey upstairs, downstairs divided the White House actually is. And these folks are the beating heart of this estate, of this real estate. They are an integral piece of the household. And you know, I was talking with somebody who does background checks earlier for an unrelated thing, and just imagine, let us all for a second, how bad it would look to the world if the White House had a crappy yard. I don't want to sound too much like an old man, but you know, if you saw that their grass was bad and they had, you know, an old Chevy up on some cinder blocks, well.
Speaker 4: As a fellow old man, you do get to a point where your lawn reflects.
Speaker 3: Your you know who you are, just like the menu that you might order. Segue foreshadowing. No matter, this is cool because it reminds us, and hopefully reminds you folks, of our conversations about those food service workers at the Pentagon, right, and the people who take out the trash at the Pentagon, or do the HVAC at the Pentagon. They have to pass a background check that goes up the wazoo. They obviously have to have drug tests, they have to have an established record of excellence within their fields. And to be clear, yeah, a lot of the folks that we're talking about in the White House here are going to be contractors, which means that they have a private company that has complied with Uncle Sam's security requirements and they don't have, you know, compartmentalized or top secret clearance. But you might be surprised, folks by how many people have some version of a secrecy clearance just because of the access to the places that they are visiting in their day to day work. Last thing, most recently, political loyalty to the administration became part of the vet process. Back in the day, they didn't care who you were when you were Moe in the yard.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you said, things are all different these days. It's important to point out too, which you might already be thinking, is that you know, these larger events, visiting dignitaries, state dinners and stuff like that, they do bring in outside help for that. Oftentimes they'll be like a guest chef that they invite to co design and kind of head up the creation of the meal. But all the cooking still does happen in the White House kitchens, but the day to day meals are done by the executive residents culinary team, which includes a chef, pastry chef, and of course the associated staff.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, the Sioux chefs. Shout out to them, We're going to spend some time with one in particular. And guys, this might get us in a little bit of hot or very cold water. I have to say. The political loyalty point. I know it's weaponized today, but it kind of makes sense historically. If you are an American president, would you purposely hire an avowed communist who wanted to overthrow the United States? Because if you did, you would grant them a deep level of access to one of the most powerful political organizations on the planet. So maybe there should be something like maybe not who did you vote for, but maybe something akin to are you okay with the United States existing? Well?
Speaker 4: Guys, I mean I go back to the whole palace intrigue of it all. I mean, what's more dangerous than somebody on the cooking staff who might have it out for the king or the president? You know, and it makes me think of like a court tasters, you know, taking food tasters and all of that. And Ben, I don't know if this came up in your research, but I did not realize that the dining and the culinary services is actually handled by the US Navy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep, which.
Speaker 4: Is something called white house mess Yeah, it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: You got to earn your way up because you've got your housekeepers vetted, you have your landscapers vet it to some degree. We could talk about that later. It might be outside of the scope of this or two in the weeds. These folks are not politicians themselves. They are not elected. They do have, to your point, Noal, an intimate inside look at some of the most sensitive conversations. We could imagine. One of the most coveted roles in this storied institution is the role of the executive chef. So if you work in food service, fellow conspiracy realist, you are going to enjoy this one or send us emails to set us straight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I gotta wonder how somebody pursuing the culinary art sets their sites on that particular gig.
Speaker 3: Well, first, they didn't have a choice. The very first president cook for the very first president was a man known as Hercules who was enslaved by George Washington, and it served as the first presidential cook until he escaped slavery in seventeen ninety seven on George Washington's birthday. So this has been around for a while. I think was up until about eighteen hundred, the White House kitchen forced enslaved people to cook for the ruling class.
Speaker 2: Talk about a strange choice, just considering the founding documents and then to have in the primary residence of the person that's running this new place based upon these new documents that state pretty clearly what they feel like. Every human being, every man is created equally, and yet you have enslaved human beings to cook your food to continue your life. Going on and again talking about that trust, enslaving some one and then you know, not thinking they might want to hurt you. That's a that's a crazy thing to do.
Speaker 4: Well, it's part and parcel with the whole white supremacist angle of it. All They look at these folks is inherently inferior genetically, of course, but I imagine that intellect would go into that and they would be like, well, no, we are their masters, and they are like, you know, good, good pets that would never ever do anything to harm their masters. It's just this like absolute delusional way of looking at human beings.
Speaker 3: Benevolent, condescending, demi gods is how they see it. Do also check out a show or an episode of our related sister show Francis Scott Key, the guy who wrote the Star Spangled Banner, also a slave owner and kind of a jerk.
Speaker 2: Recently, I just got back from a personal trip to the UK and I went to this place called the Royal Pavilion in Brighton and Hove I think, I think it's maybe just Brighton, and it is this taj Mahal inspired giant palace that was made for the various King George's or the Prince George and King George the Fourth. It was it was like Prince of Wales, whatever George then he got sick and in the head and couldn't govern or whatever whatever you do as king. So then George the third, George the Fourth came in. Anyway, it's this whole thing. But they had this massive ballroom right where they would put on these feasts and you got to go into the kitchen where these feasts are prepared, and there are you just learn about the human beings that worked so hard, tirelessly to put out these meals that were just when you think about those medieval feasts, guys, and you see them depicted on screen, the real menu that you got to see when you walk into this this place from eighteen seventeen. It was like, I couldn't even tell you how dozens of courses it was. And each course had like three or five different things where they would just bring out, uh, what do they say, the head of a great sturgeon in champagne, pigeons in crayfish, butter.
Speaker 4: Yes, but just beasts inside of other, beasts inside of other.
Speaker 2: Well, it takes you back to Marie Antoinette and some of that depiction just of what it's like to have a simple meal. But this is not a simple meal obviously that we're describing, but just to have lunch one day in your palace, what does that look like? And what does it take to prepare that?
Speaker 4: What does it take? Not to get too political about it, but like I mean to do that in the face of folks around you that you're ruling over, starving or not able to afford to you.
Speaker 3: Know, right, let me cake check out our upcoming strange news conversation about grocery prices. We we know the White House has the American expeariman has always had this weird thing about how to handle its one percent? Right, it's upper crust? Are we a nation ruled by a small majority of aristocrats? Technically that is correct. Technically that is correct. I know a lot of people don't love it when we point that out, but it is beat me here, Dylan. It's weird and it's correct. So the White House has a what they call a permanent full time culinary staff of five to six chefs. So this will be like your executive chef. This will be your Sioux chefs, those folks, by the way, because of some earlier conversations in Congress, when those folks cook for the first family, the president, the spouse, the ghettoes, whatever that comes out of the president's pocket technically, but when you get to those big state dinners like you're describing Noll, the large events, Oh some guy from Russia's showing up, or oh this is the big pubab insert country here, then they call in a part time staff of twenty to twenty five assistant chefs, food runners, waiters, stewards, butler's, etc. Those folks all get overseen by the position of executive chef. And that chef position is pretty cool, interestingly enough, because it remains stable often throughout changes in administration, like successive presidents who hate each other will often still stick with the same chef and just say, you know, you seem cool. I like real cheese, and the chef says yes, mister President. So who is our first, aside from Hercules, who has been ignored in history, who is our first official executive chef of the modern White House?
Speaker 2: There've always been chefs, as they were saying, in the White House, and chefs and many a cook, many a sue serving that facility right, and as the White House has changed over the years. But the title executive chef, the position executive chef at the White House was started by Jacqueline Kennedy and that was in nineteen sixty one. Guys, you might have to check me on that. I think it was sixty one where Rene Verdn, which who was a French chef. He was well known, but he wasn't like a celebrity chef does that make sense, guys. Yeah, we don't often see a celebrity chef filling the role of executive chef for the White House. So like in Anthony Bardane showing up, Hey, guess what, I'm the chef now.
Speaker 4: Well, but someone like that might be brought on for a special engagement.
Speaker 2: Yes, but then the White House executive chef since nineteen sixty one has taken on a bit of celebrity status because now they're in interviews all the time. There's this excitement about oh, what is the First family eating these days? And all all of that stuff, right with a bit of the royalty treatment happening. Huh in a little bit maybe exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people are starving throughout the world. But what do the Bush twins eat? Do they really need to know the calories for every meal? That's crazy. We'll be back after a brief break for the news in the Middle East.
Speaker 4: Oh God, sponsoring us.
Speaker 3: It's very bread. It's just so, it's so it's isolated. And again we're not disparaging the chefs they're doing. No, they're doing a very good job.
Speaker 2: They do an incredible thing. And you know, cooking food is an art and it is science and there are specific chefs who have made it so right so that we think about cooking as an art and a science rather than just getting sustenance.
Speaker 3: For a meal.
Speaker 2: And just to take it back to the pavilion for one second, the chef there that would cook or that was known to cook there a lot of the time was Marie Antoine Karem, who was arguably the first celebrity chef back in the eighteen hundreds. And this is a person that was was known for these those crazy feasts we were talking about, but also as promoting food as art and science right on.
Speaker 3: And also Julia Childs worked as a spy. We're gonna that is true, and this is this is a this we're planting seeds right, you know what I mean. We're getting our mission place. So we also need you to know, folks that across the pond. Over in the United States, the most recent official executive chef is a tremendously inspiring person named Christeta Comerford. This chef served from two thousand and five to two thousand and twenty four. Her story is phenomenal. Native of the Philippines, becomes an assistant chef after getting after getting US citizenship, in nineteen ninety five under the Clintons, works her way up under the W. Bush presidency speaking of aristocracy in two thousand and five, and that time window is so interesting because that means she was cooking for five separate presidents. It's like, especially in these divided times, it is extraordinary to realize these folks definitely don't agree on politics, but apparently good food is the one bipartisan issue they can all get behind. So congrats to that chef. Also, first woman, first person of color to achieve this rarefied position.
Speaker 4: I mean, these days, the no of anybody keeping a job from one administration to the next is pretty much a non starter.
Speaker 3: It's a good point. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, but it is crazy that she gets that actlyte and it is great that she does. But considering all of the enslaved human beings of color who worked in that position essentially right, So it is that weird thing where we have to we create the specialized position of executive chef. And now that is a thing versus the human beings who actually did the thing long long ago, but did it against their will.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is why I'm so happy we got the chance to shout out hercules at the very beginning right now, there is no official executive chef at the White House, which might surprise people because that seems like something the current regime would want. Right Instead, there is a former assistant of comer Ford named Tommy Kurpreditt krad It. He is the current acting executive chef, and hey, man, if you're watching this, good luck, chef. We hope they make you official.
Speaker 2: Keep those fryars hot.
Speaker 3: Gosh, keep those burgers ready right at any time of day or night. Obviously, any work in any kitchen on a professional level is going to be stressful. Yet the steaks or the steaks thank you for the spelling jo yes, spelling joke, they're a whole other level. Right when your regular diners are some of the most powerful and arguably some of the most dangerous people on the planet. You know, there's a legendary level of service here. There's also an entirely different dark side to cooking at the White House because Matt No, like we're saying, there are tons of documentaries and interviews about the story history of the White House Kitchen. Can watch all these things, these investigations into how the sausage is literally made and so on all the livelong day. But there is a strange pattern a lot of people miss, which is this White House chefs it seems have been drowning.
Speaker 4: You mean like in work, you mean like they's got so much going on that they're just they can't keep their head above water.
Speaker 3: Keep their head above water. No, that seems to be the problem.
Speaker 4: We're talking literally, But I'm sorry, I have to just drop this in the We're talking about the dark side of the spoon.
Speaker 3: There we go. Here's where it gets crazy. Fellow conspiracy realist, It is true, not once, but twice high profile former White House chefs have passed away in drowning incidents. One of these was an executive chef. Another one was a Sioux chef who later went on to work as a personal chef for the Obama administration. So, who wants to introduce us to Walt?
Speaker 4: Yes, indeed, Walter Shibe Sheeb, I'm gonna go with shi. It was born on May the third of nineteen fifty four, Walter Stanley Shibe the third. He cut his teeth in DC's Capital Hilton, A bit of a fancy Hilton's back in those days. If they had a little more Cachet. From there, he worked at the Boca rattan overre in Boca Resort for four years, and he traveled back to Washington worked briefly at the Mayflower Hotel. It's pretty storied. After the Mayflower, he became the executive chef at the Greenbrier in West Virginia.
Speaker 2: Boss Greenbrier Hotel, what's special about that?
Speaker 3: What is special about that? Thanks to our pal Garrett M. Graff, the author of Raven Rock, the story of the US government's secret land to save itself while the rest of us die is What's secret about this is that Greenbrier had a longstanding doomsday bunker for America's most influential politicians.
Speaker 4: I would love to talk more about the intersection between hospitality and doom's day protection.
Speaker 2: Mm.
Speaker 4: You know, I mean we're talking about that ballroom earlier, which is, you know, definitely aligned with that. So it does kind of make you think after the typical addition process for that gig. And I was sort of being flip earlier about who would target that specific gig, you know, who someone who's dedicated their life to culinary pursuits. Well, it turns out thousands would hope to have that job. So that makes perfect sense because to your point, Matt, this is someone that does inevitably take on a certain type of celebrity status unto themselves in the culinary world.
Speaker 2: That's a proximity to power in general.
Speaker 4: I think, oh, sure, sure, So thousands apply, only a few are invited for an audition. Shibe became the White House executive chef in nineteen ninety four, and he would hold onto that position again to our earlier point, maybe not as common anymore until two thousand and five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is fascinating because if you are a fan of history, if you are a fan of diplomacy and pulinary forensics, we could almost call it, you will be just baffled by the anecdotes of pulinary drama that occur constantly. So no matter who you voted for, what you need to know is that the president you like or hate routinely conspires with the White House kitchen staff to get snacks when they think they can get away with it and get away from their keepers. They're entourage their family. Even Bill Clinton was reportedly infamous for this conspiracy because every time his wife Hillary Clinton was away from the grounds, he would come up to the chef and be like, uh, can I get a twenty four ounce porterhouse? Let me think, and we'll just keep this between us.
Speaker 4: And just to walk back what I said earlier. And I think this speaks to your point, Ben about how this gig is somewhat a political the you had mentioned the previous executive chef, Christeta Comerford had that gig for twenty one years and only just recently retired. And we don't have, I believe, a new official executive chef. So that person was there through Bush, Obama, Trump, and Biden.
Speaker 3: Yes. Yeah, And the food of the White House is as much of a statement as it is sustenance. It's politicized as anything else. Let us not forget the Great Poupon scandal, right because everybody has to eat, so you want to feel that universal connection. Whatever the First Family consumes often becomes, for better or worse, a statement about the country. There was a past chef who balked at this. I don't know how much we all read about this, but I was interested in the story of Hans Raffert, who notably ended up well. He was asked by the Clintons to cook low fat American cuisine and it was a bridge too far for his soul as a chef, right as an artist. And he balked at this and he ended up technically residing. But really they fired him because a man's got avo code.
Speaker 2: Well, he's a French, he's a he's a German human, but he is a French chef, right, so as cuisine is French, and what do you use in French cuisine more than anything fat?
Speaker 3: I mean so, so it's that's an interesting note because there are people who put their principles over celebrity, your prestige, right, And our guy Walter is very good at his job. He can roll with the punches. Eventually, even he was let go due to differences in preference under the Bush administration. There's there's a little piece of e femera you can catch in the news from back in the day where an anonymous White House staffer says there was tension. You know, the chef knew that the Bushes didn't like scallops, and I think he kept serving him scallops on purpose.
Speaker 4: That would be a move, wouldn't it.
Speaker 3: I love it. But he stays in the public eye, right because, like we're saying, once you attain this rarefied air, wherever you go, your fortune is made right as long as you leave in an amicable way. He writes a memoir, He co writes a memoir. He becomes a lecturer consultant, so he goes to people who are doing fancy state dinners and said stuff like, here's where the fork for the salad goes? I don't know. And then he also he al on.
Speaker 4: The left, that's the little it's a little fork.
Speaker 3: Rt Right, there's a old Larry Day to think about this. Yeah. Yeah. And he founds the corporation to handle his his legal dealings in this regard. And he also he's known to be a pretty great orator because of his anecdotes about what world leaders he Yeah, I'd be interested in.
Speaker 2: That, Yeah, exactly, because ultimately you've got knowledge now, and you're imparting that knowledge through things like memoirs, through books, through speaking engagement things like that.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, it would also give you a little bit of insight into like the health of an individual, wouldn't it long long term?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Wise?
Speaker 4: And they how likely they are to live for a long time or not?
Speaker 3: How many cheeseburgers per day?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly how many hot dogs have you had today this morning?
Speaker 3: How many once like for coffee or we talk it like because the day starts at the offee.
Speaker 2: It's like chopped up hot dogs.
Speaker 4: Have you heard a lot of this chatter? I don't know if it's coming from the it's probably coming what's coming from some staff for sure. About how apparently Trump has like used like empty ice cream cartons and burger wrappers. It's always like litter all over his bedchambers.
Speaker 2: Oh god boy, No, I haven't heard about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the kind of information we're talking about.
Speaker 3: Tip your housekeeper, whether you're at a hotel or what Yeah, yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, or just at your house if it's a palse and.
Speaker 3: If you're your housekeeper, tip yourself.
Speaker 4: Yes, be good to yourself at the very least. Yeah, you're doing a great job.
Speaker 3: We do. Really, what's going on?
Speaker 2: So let's talk about an unspoken thing a little bit because of the glorification a bit of the title of executive chef. An executive chef once you reach that level and you're creating a menu and you are showing other chefs how to prepare your menu or your style or the exact nature even a restarred Michelin chef. Well, actually not so much that. I don't know that. I think there are levels to this whole thing. But if you become an executive chef, often you are not the one doing the cooking anymore. You are going places, you're having meetings, You're dealing with the business side. Hence the term executive. There you were maybe starting restaurants, you're beginning a franchise, maybe you are traveling a lot. The executive chef title is very different than a Sioux chef or someone who's doing me some implas all day long and cutting vegetables. The the executive chef is this, I don't know how to put it, guys, it's it's not all about cookery anymore.
Speaker 3: You're the ambassador of the kitchen, is the way I would put it. You're the You're the You're definitely the administrative head, right you, Yeah, on that part of the downstairs.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that that therein lies. I think why it's such a sought after position because working in a kitchen is so labor intensive and hard and sweaty and can just be god awful and wonderful at the same time. Right, doesn't mean it's all terrible, but it's hard to ask work. So I'm imagining just this thing that might be chased after once you get it, once you've done it. I wonder what an executive chef of the White House does when they're finished.
Speaker 3: Right right? Where do you go next after you've beaten the video game? You've beaten the final level?
Speaker 4: Well, it's the end games, and some games they ain't got it right, like Skyrim, which is awesome.
Speaker 3: Everybody should play it. So that's a bit of an aside, but it's it's a great point because when we're when we're talking about this level your executive chef, if you go to the world's best restaurants of the past, like Albouye or Noma, what you see is those guys are almost Frank Lloyd Wright level cult worshiped, right, and they come in and they say, well, you pitch me this dish, and you let me taste it and see if it's worthy for service. So are there are a lot more like generals than they are like infantry is a good way to think about it. That's why they call it a brigade. That's exactly why they call it a brigade. No because the French concept of how a kitchen should be run and how the labor should be divided does come from military experience. So this guy, our guy, Walt chef Wald, he travels widely. He's doing quite well. He's not too old, you know, he's late fifties in this time of his life, getting up to just north of sixty. And he doesn't just visit almost every United States. He makes it too, one hundred and fifty four countries between two thousand and seven and twenty fifteen. His passport looked it looked like a Russian prisoner. It was that. Yeah, it looked like VORs on that. And he ends up going to He has personal trials and travails, of course. He ends up moving to New Mexico, to Taos, New Mexico. He has a girlfriend, he has a good family life. He's set to go. He goes on a hike in twenty fifteen, and on June thirteenth of that year, he is reported missing because he doesn't return from this hike. So investigators track his cell phone as best they can. They say, okay, this cell phone is in a nearby mountain in Taos, and a few days later, on June twenty First, they discover the remains of the former executive chef of the White House about one point seven miles from the base of the hiking trail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, about thirty yards away from a hiking trail. And you can read a lot about this specific trail that he was hiking down. What it looked like, you know, the elevation change and all that kind of stuff. Was it uphill, was a downhill? Was it like? How much water was there? Because all of these things come into play, especially when you realize that it appears this man had drowned, or at least according to the official story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because the autopsy results indicated some questions and some conclusions. First, the authority said there's no side of foul play. But keep in mind what Matt just said, folks. He the autopsy said he was dead as a result of accidental drowning. However, the ravine where he was found, the water was very cold. It preserved his cadaver in a way that made it impossible to know exactly when he died. So when you hear accidental drowning, for a lot of more cynical people in the crowd, you end up asking how accidental is an accident, to be fair, This area where the chef is hiking is well known for flash floods, and on the day he was reported missing, a ton of thunderstorms had rolled through. And if you're familiar with this part of the United States, or with New Mexico and this part of New Mexico specifically, you know that when those floods happened, they happen quickly. Flash flood is not an ironic term at all. The water is not there and then a lot of it suddenly appears as if it teleported.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's called the Yurbucanyan trail head. It's a four mile trail and it follows basically the base of a canyon and then it travels up thirty seven hundred feet. So imagine a lot of rain coming down thirty seven hundred feet towards you. If you're at the bottom of that, it could be really treacherous, or if you're caught in that incline as a bunch of water and debris and mud and all that stuff is heading towards you. So there is a potential for absolutely natural thing that occurred, a tragedy in the wrong place at the wrong time it this one, I would just say, doesn't it feels like it could be that, right, just an accident.
Speaker 3: Right, because the wild is the wild, and even an experienced hiker may be in a situation where your environment changes so quickly you can't find purchase as you're scrambling for that elevation. We also have to know, as as you'll recall astute conspiracy realist, people die from hiking all the time in the United States every year, so much so the federal government still does not keep a data of how many people go missing in national parks. So this is something to that point that absolutely could happen and the news could fade from the headlines, except that just a few years later, in twenty twenty three, another tragedy struck and people started seeing connections between these two tragedies and they started looking at Chef Walter's death in a new light. So now we introduce Tafari Campbell. TAFARII Campbell is a former White House Sioux chef, which is kind of like a second in command, you know, to our earlier point about an executive chef, this this guy, this chef is serving while the Barack Obama administration is in the White House, and the First Family became very close to Chef Campbell during their time there. They befriend him, They know his family and his kids as well. They say, when they're leaving the White House, they say, hey, do you want to just come work for us because you're you're awesome. We like hanging out with you. And he agrees. So Campbell often works at an estate on Martha's Vineyard in Massachusetts owned by the Obama family. It's called Katama. I hope I'm pronouncing that correctly. Ka T A m A. This guy's young.
Speaker 2: Is the Katama because they the Obama family, by the way, much like Royalty, has owned or lived in a couple of different estates there on Martha's Vineyards. Yes, the one I'm looking at, the one that's dealing with this incident is I think it's seventy nine Turkey Land Cove Road or something right by the pond. Yeah, between slowco in Turkey Land Cove out there on Egerton Great Pond.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it is a friggin' to talk about a castle for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because you know, you never really stop being president.
Speaker 2: Isn't it isn't that crazy? Yeah, I don't know why I had some kind of illusions about the the Obama family or something. I was like, Oh, they're not quite as like they're not. They're they're up there, but they're not like the Bush family.
Speaker 3: You thought they about a duplex, dude, But no.
Speaker 2: But we've talked about the Bush family and the fortunes that were made their way before the presidency, and you know how much money flowed around that family. Yeah, the Obama family didn't have that. If you go back in the history at least the available history of like where Barack Obama lived wait far or before you know, becoming governor or president or any of that stuff, and the humbleness of those things. Then you look at this place on Martha's Vineyard, which is like what, that's the the royal grounds of the Americas. Yeah, martha Zenyards, one of two right out there on the coast of Boston. It just it didn't I didn't imagine this is where they would be hanging out. I don't know what.
Speaker 3: It's twenty nine acres folks right on Awata as Massachusetts would say. And to be clear that when I say Katama, that's the section of Edgar Town that they're living in. Toward the address that you're talking about, right, So.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's six ninety two square feet of house.
Speaker 3: It's a lot of house. Do you want more house? Because we have more house. We have house on special. So the the thing is this guy Campbell, this chef is very talented. He has made a great impression on the actual President of the United States. And at this time he is about forty five years old. Right, So done his time in the White House. He is now a personal chef to one of the most powerful, most dangerous people on the planet. He could have kept this job for decades or until he decided to retire. Unfortunately, you know, he could have just spent all his time in the recreational swimming pools that he loved. Unfortunately this was not to be the case.
Speaker 2: He did love the recreational swimming pools, right.
Speaker 3: He's an accomplished swimmer, right, yeah, yeah, he is.
Speaker 2: Think about it. Okay, let's keep going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's go to July twenty fourth. It's twenty twenty three local authorities and again this very posh area of the United States. They get a nine to one one call. It's around seven forty six pm and it's from a person who is paddle boarding on that pond we mentioned earlier, and he says, another paddle boarder has gone into the water. He's a dude. I saw him dip down. He was struggling to stay on the surface. He went back under the water again and he has not returned to the surface, and I can provide more details. We need help, We need help. A search begins. There are multiple agencies in the area. They're lending a hand. Eventually, an outfit called the Massachusetts Environmental Police locates a body. They do this using what we call a side scan sonar. So they're floating around in a boat and they're waiting for a ping and then the divers come in from the State Police and they find a body. It's about one hundred feet from shore at a depth of only eight feet.
Speaker 2: Strong swimmer experience, Well, now that is where the body is recovered. That doesn't mean that's the human became a body.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, But I'm with Noel here eight feet.
Speaker 2: I'm also with you, guys. I'm just trying to remain fair objective.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So they find they find this body. At first, they don't know it's Campbell, but it doesn't take long to connect the dots and they are able to verify these are the remains of Campbell. So the police issue a statement and a spokesperson with the outfit called the Massachusetts Executive Office of Public Safety and Security says autopsy has confirmed the cause of death. It is accidental drowning. And then, for the record, before we get deeper here, the Obama family, so far as we know, was not at the estate during this.
Speaker 2: Time, but it is right off of the estate.
Speaker 3: It's right there, and there was a second paddle border.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know, I heard nine to one to one audio that was allegedly a part of this, and it sounded like a security team member alerting other security team members, but you know, speaking directly to the emergency services.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know that.
Speaker 2: Kind of speak that is very straight to the point. Here's what's happening. It's a male blah blah blah on this blah blah blah, blah blah blah. That's all you need to know.
Speaker 3: And then oh my god, there's no holy craps, No, none of that. Very contained, very clipped, very terse, very direct.
Speaker 2: Which is two things right. That is how someone who is trained to do that acts when you're in a crisis mode to be calm and just get the information across that you need. But it's also maybe the way someone would act if they had just drowned. Somebody just putting it out there.
Speaker 3: We're just putting it out there because we have we have I hope not purposely drowned anyone on this show.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I guess no, But what I mean is we have heard how about this personally? Guys, I have listened to the audio of the Zodiac killer or the alleged Zodiac killer making the phone calls, you know where it just says some things to you about what I just did, and it reminded me of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd add to that in some personal experience. A lot of people deal with shock in very different ways. So, for example, you might hear someone sounding very collected because their shock is kicking in right, and their survival mechanisms or maybe their muscle memory are going to keep them going until their mind tells them it's okay to collapse, right, So that could be part of it too, But this was not. It did not sound like it's cool. We don't want to read too many tea leaves. We do have to admit again, just like with hiking in the United States, Sadly, a significant number of people accidentally dropt in this country every single year. One of the most famous examples in our neck of the Global Woods is Lake Laneer, which is home to several drownings every year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of bad stuff goes down there. A lot of it is drinking and driving boats.
Speaker 3: Though, right, yeah, don't that's a huge part.
Speaker 2: You can do that.
Speaker 3: Don't think a boat is still a car, guys, it's still a motor vehicle. Don't drink and drive a boat or a vote. Check out our earlier episode on what was it called the cooping.
Speaker 4: Cooping is where you get no, you get people drunk and then you unleash them on the poles, right yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't do that one either, But well no.
Speaker 4: Way, isn't it like you, Yeah, you forced them to vote for your guy, yes, yeah, yeah, by getting them intoxicated and potentially even like physically.
Speaker 3: Assaulting them, yeah, and putting them in disguises. That was a wild ride. It's again, it's a tragedy because it is a tragedy compound given Tafari Campbell's passed as a White House chef, and given his close association with a former first family, as well as the fact that a few years beforehand, another chef had drowned, people started asking questions. They were saying, were both of these really just tragic accidents with dark commonalities based in coincidence? Was there something more to either case? Could they be connected?
Speaker 2: Does it remind you it's oh god, I'm not saying this is connected. I'm not trying to start a conspiracy theory, but it does remind me a tiny bit of chap equitic. Not the same, not the same, but it does remind me a little bit. Kennedy killed prepecnee, Yeah, but just a drowning, yeah, on a compound being used by presidents or you know that kind of thing. And this one, the Campbell one, feels weird to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially given the efficacy of drought as an assassination method. Folks, Before we go any further crucial caveat, we want to acknowledge the losses of the families here. You can never replace a loved one, Especially in the days of Internet trolls and social media, it can be so hurtful for friends and family to encounter these unfounded accusations allegations, et cetera. It's particularly cold when those deaths become weaponized by what we will call fringe actors. But there's there's a lot more to this story. Like I one personal thing I've run into in the past. Chefs as diplomats or chefs as vectors of information. You know a lot of weirdly polyglottic chefs. You speak seven languages and you're just oh, you just occasionally do a little hobachi for the ambassador from Denmark when they happen to be negotiating with Greenland with the US in Greenland. Any staff working at this level of power has to be vetted for a reason, because when you're a world leader, your the size of your professional sphere explodes, but your private sphere grows a lot smaller. Like Drake used to say, no new friends, So who can you trust? You know, I'm the President of the United States. I don't know if I can talk off the cuff with my former college buddies. What I say about Russia and public might be a lot different from what I say to my favorite chef Cookie at three in the morning, because I can't sleep and I just want a hot dog, and I got some stuff on my mind, you know what I mean, there's a lot of power in that.
Speaker 2: You have some dogs.
Speaker 3: You've got some hot dogs in a bull Sorry, so we're obviously we're not saying the KGB turned any White House staffers in the double O seven style Kingsman style hit man. But it's not impossible to get info from these people, and they might not even know what they're given away. You know, you can just be privy to sensitive information. It's that guys. It's that old movie trope where someone is saying, you know, mister Prime minister, mister President or your highness or whatever, this is secret information, and then whomever the person in power is, they turn around, they go, ah, it's just Jeremy. He's fine anyway. Jeremy's cool man, Tap me up. Anyway, What were you saying about this patriot deployment? This guy makes great hot talks.
Speaker 2: By the way, oh I bet homemade hot dogs. Let's talk really quickly about why a chef at that level might speak five languages or somewhat speak seven, almost a little bit seven languages, right? Why is that a lot of chefs that reach this level study broad in different countries with chefs of high level, the higher level than them at the moment that they are now studying in Japan, let's say, or South Korea are now in France or Germany or wherever. So it is a that is a fairly common thing. Or working in a kitchen with someone who primarily speaks Spanish, but you learn some of that language to be able to effectively communicate with your with people you're working with. That kitchens end up being a melting pot in a lot of different ways.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: So I do think that when we're thinking critically about all this stuff, right, it doesn't necessarily mean their spies because they speak seven languages, but that is a helpful thing if you wanted to be a spy.
Speaker 3: And they also don't have to know their spies, they could just be able to give information. Also, yeah, not all Mormon missionaries end up working for the CIA, but there's a reason the CIA loves them as draft picks. So this is this is all the stuff. What we're saying is these are realities. That makes it easy to understand why some people immediately search for a conspiracy with these two deaths, even if we don't personally agree with that perspective. It is understandable that there would be a wave of conspiracy theories about Campbell that hit social media.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there were many. There's many a story written on the primary media outlets about the number of conspiracy theories showing up. Often they would focus in on, gosh, what your is this twenty twenty three when Tafari Campbell tied, so that this is when x X had already become a thing, right in twenty three or is that wrong? Yeah, you're correct, Okay, correct, because in my head it was Twitter, but I think it is x where that is the place to me bro Well, that's the place the primary media would point to and say, hey, look at these crazy people on x saying crazy things. But really, what folks would be looking at. Often, at least from my experience and I think our experience, TikTok, Instagram reels, those short videos that you just scroll through, those things will get filled almost immediately after something like this with real human beings putting things out there. Hey, guys, I'm kind of what we're doing today, but not the same thing. I'm just saying, it's kind of weird. What about this? Seems like maybe they were eating babies? You're like, oh crap, what.
Speaker 4: Often with a piece of footage in the background with like a circle around something, you know, damn me. It is the ultimate Charlie Day red threadboard situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Oh, and it's always now in this format, it's on short form video. It's always the face down here like this in the lower part. And then yeah, and there's something playing in the back, like you said, and they're just like.
Speaker 2: And they've got a little mic that they're talking to. Look, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: Now, let me just say Devil's advocate. Sometimes they're pretty convincing and they give me some stuff to look into, give us some stuff to look into, and you yeah, you know, do your homework.
Speaker 3: We got to do it here.
Speaker 1: Now, they just they just do a lot of that where they get a very bottom and they point at things.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yes, yes, oh yeah.
Speaker 3: Right. And as you were saying, no, we're not invalidating the genre because it can be useful.
Speaker 2: As we've made the point before, anyone can say anything on these platforms, which is great and horrifying. Yes, yeah, because it becomes an echo chamber often and then it will show up on the conspiracy subredd in a bunch of other places then it shows up in other places, and quite often things are unfounded, and then folks will get discouraged when our show doesn't say, oh, yeah, they're eating humans, right, because it seems so ubiquitous and it seems so clear because of the sheer number of videos out there, Oh, the White House eats babies and kids and humans, and that's why these chefs had to die. And if enough people are saying it and we don't say it, then they're like, oh.
Speaker 3: You consensus reality.
Speaker 4: Yeah, guys, I don't know, hot take. I just feel like if they were eating babies, they wouldn't be getting the White House staff to prepare them. Yeah, it'd be some Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's the thing. Can we can we go to just for an example of what we're setting up? Can we go to a guy named Ian Miles Chong? Please? Yeah? Okay, it's it's uh Twitter if you're faithful or X if you're weird. Actually everything out July twenty fourth, twenty twenty three. Chong is part of this massive wave of people who are most but not all, right wing, prominent accounts who are arguing conspiracy. Here in Chong's post, we see the text the death of Obama's personal chef, Tafari Campbell, a trained swimmer who drowned in a shallow pond outside the Obama family home. Wild paddle boarding is strange. What do you you think, really? Hapenn't And then there's a clip and it's very much like I'm just asking questions. This has nothing. This has nothing to do with the fact that I went double down hard on birth certificate conspiracies and George W. Bush conspiracies. This is different and I am trustworthy, incredible.
Speaker 2: It just sucks because that is essentially what we've already done in this episode.
Speaker 3: But it's a good question because strong is correct. By the way, folks, Campbell was indeed an experienced swimmer, But there were also people who so a lot of responses to this one. There were people who replied and said, hey, I live in the area, like I live in Martha's vineyard, and even if you're an experienced swimmer, it is easy to get stuck in the mud at the bottom of the pond. You can get pulled in and you might not have the arm strength to pull yourself out. And then of course there were the folks who were like, definitely and also my other conspiracy. It's me, Liz Krackin. I think Campbell was murdered because quote Tafari Campbell isn't the only person died inexplicably in Obama's orbit. Did you know that the woman who verified the authenticity of Obama's birth certificate, Loretta Fuddy, was the only person to die in a plane crash in Hawaii in twenty thirteen. Every time I survived.
Speaker 4: Come on, oh okay, sorry, I understand a particular plane crash, he was the only one to die. It would have been funny, extra funny if she was saying that she's the only person that died in a plane crash.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's true that Loretta Fuddy did die in a light aircraft crash. Authority said it was catastrophic engine failure. But what we see here again is the game of conspiratorial telephone. Someone is taking a question and they're taking there like Krackin is a very big QAnon enthusiast right.
Speaker 4: There, cherry picking a working in reverse to get to the conclusion that they would enjoy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's still like, Loretta Fuddy died in a light aircraft crash, and we've seen how light aircraft crashes can function.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well it's not. It's not the first time that that's flown just around in terms of like the potential conspiracy surrounding the deaths of prominent individuals or government officials, et cetera. Just like why the drowning thing seems like such a good cover, especially in that first case we mentioned where the water was so cold they couldn't even tell when the time of death was. And like all of the things that happens, you know, drowning just kind of leaves no trace, has a tendency to wash away any physical evidence and all that, and there's a good cover story of like you know, they got swept up in the riptide or the flash floods, or caught his foot in the mud, drowned in a puddle.
Speaker 3: These are great points because folks, if you are not worry about someone finding the body, drowning can actually be a fairly effective form of assassination. And that's not us saying it, that's history saying it. Because to Knowl's point, if it's a body of moving water, it can carry the remains. It can also do a lot of forensic removal for you. Right, So when you are conducting an autopsy. Something that could be purposeful drowning can sometimes look like accidental drowning.
Speaker 4: There's no escape pension, not to mention if there's crabs, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Yeah, see the Chattahoochee River in the Atlanta missing and murdered case. Just we talked about it a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then you know, we have to be fair. At no point from the first death to now, as we record August seventh, has either investigation or any investigation by any official law enforcement outfit found any evidence contradicting those conclusions of death by accidental drowning. So the question then becomes is there something in common? Is there a connection? Is it just that both people worked for one of the most prestigious places on the planet and then died in a similar way? Or does the story go deeper?
Speaker 4: Eight feed deep?
Speaker 2: Hmm, Here's why I mentioned the Epstein files. What of the jerky of it all? Guys?
Speaker 4: Do we recall this?
Speaker 2: Do we recall the beef jerky?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Human everybody.
Speaker 2: Everybody wanted Epstein's jerky for some reason, and they needed more jerky.
Speaker 4: Because it fortified them.
Speaker 2: Yes, Look, I know that that doesn't mean human meat. It means it's weird that people were so in to Jeffrey Epstein's jerky and how he got it and how he procured it and got it produced and the guy from it. Yeah, and what was the what was that restaurant the chef that made the jerky allegedly? Do you remember this?
Speaker 3: Oh? Right, do you remember this?
Speaker 4: No, you're talking about I don't remember the name of the restaurant. In fact, this is the first time. Maybe I'm curtain, but we talked about it. I just don't remember the jerky talk. Sorry, Yeah, I brought it to you, brought it to me. I brought the jerky talk you brought yes, Well, yeah, you know, we talk about a lot of things, guys. I'm sorry, jerky talk flew around.
Speaker 3: Where are we going with this one?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 3: Where do you want to go?
Speaker 2: You can see why there are so many rumors that float around about potentially, you know, these these darker things that have existed forever, right, They that start in a lot of different places, sometimes in anti Semitism, sometimes in fear, sometimes in a classist kind of struggle against these royalty that have feasts and these kinds of things. Room about what these people could be getting up to, right, and fears about what it might be, and also caricatures, because it's almost getting back at the people that that do in real ways control your life or at least hold sway over you. These rumors of no, they eat people, they drink blood that you know, this kind of thing these persists in. They're out there and they have been for a long time. It is weird to see them now filtered through the Epstein files, with things like jerky that have actual some like celebrity chefs that are attached to the name that do appear fishy and strange. But it doesn't mean they have anything to do with the deaths of these two people we've been talking about today. It just means that that stuff is out there right now, and it's getting harder and harder to figure out what's true and what's not. And that's all I have to say.
Speaker 3: Okay, oh, okay, okay, all right. And at this point, folks, investigations into both of these cases have been closed. Much of the conspiratorial chatter has faded away. But for the true believers, there is still stuff they don't want you to know. We want to know your thoughts again. Our thoughts are with the friends and families of these people who tragically passed away. Thank you so much for tuning in. What do you make of these deaths? Do you think one or both are suspicious? Or is this another case of people trying to put patterns where there aren't any. We can't wait to hear from you. There are many ways to find us online, and.
Speaker 4: If you want to get in touch with us, you can do so by reaching out to the handles Conspiracy Stuff or Conspiracy Stuff Show where we exist on the internet.
Speaker 2: Our phone number is one eight three three std WYTK. When you call in, tell us your thoughts on I believe his name was Francis Derby. I think that was the guy that we talked about with the jerky in the Epstein files, Derby Jerky, something about that. I think that's what it was. God, remember, I can't get a bit Cannibal parts. The name of the restaurant was Cannibal.
Speaker 4: No it was not. Yes, No, you've told us about this, Matt, I don't remember. I think you're mistaken. I have no recollection of Cannibal the Jerky restaurant. That's too good. I just I would think that I'm not I'm not saying that I didn't. I'm just saying I'm shocked that I have no recollection of that, because that is quite on the nose.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, call us in and tell us if you have recollection of that. Uh, it's really simple to voicemail system. You'll figure it out. Hey, you can contact us by email.
Speaker 3: We are the entities the read each piece of correspondence we receive. Be well aware yet to ut afraid. Sometimes the void writes back, and actually is writing back to several of us as we record this evening. So find us out here in the dark. Give us your favorite random fact. We'll give you one in return. Conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they Don't Want you to Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.