Speaker 1: Welcome to the Best of the Week for What's Right with Nick Right the best takes in moments from this week on the show. Enjoy the Heat have won the Yannis Sweepstakes. The Heat received Jannis and Bobby Portis, the Bucks, get Tyler, hero killl Ware, Jime Hakez Junior, caspart Casparis Jakenshonis, three first round picks, including the thirteenth Tonight, twenty thirty one, and twenty thirty three, and a twenty thirty swap for Yannis. And my snap reaction is as a basketball fan, I'm bummed about it because and I want to say this on the front end, because I know this will be clipped. I know heat Uh Twitter, who actually historically I think is kind of liked me because I've believed in them more than I think a lot of my colleagues. Heat Twitter is gonna be furious. And I truly, I don't say this sarcastically. I don't say this jokingly. I hope that this is one of those clips that gets reshared multiple times years down the road because I'm proven wrong, because I really like Yannis. I think Yannis still has at least two and maybe three awesome years left in him, and I miss seeing Yannis deep into postseasons flatly, and because of that, I'm really bummed. He now has working for him a great coach, a good organization, and bam Adebayo, and that's about it. They don't know if they're gonna be able to bring back Norman Powell. They're not certain, even though I would imagine they will be able to bring back Andrew Wiggins. Davion Mitchell is a nice defensive point guard. And all of a sudden, Yannis went from a team who the last couple of years in Milwaukee, this ceiling, the absolute ceiling, was Round one of the playoffs, and now Jannis is on a team where this ceiling, the absolute ceiling is Round two of the playoffs. And that really bums me out because as great as Jannis is, the one thing and this is actually not that dissimilar to Nikola Jokic, but Jokicic's you know, has team didn't get gutted over the last few years the way Yiannis's did. The one. Yeah, but on the resume, is not a lot of real playoff runs like Yannis is obviously the one championship and brilliant on that run and brilliant in the finals, just like Joker. Other than that, one other run to a conference finals and then a bunch of first or second round exits and post championship. It's been grizzly for Giannis not and I don't listen. He has been banged up, he has been injured. I don't blame him for that, but that is the part of his culpability is availability. It's not how he's played in the postseasons over the last few years. It's been because the team isn't good enough. And now he's on another team that I fear is flatly not going to be good enough. I understand that this trade won't be final until July sixth, and I understand that there. You know, there's other moves around the margins that Heat can do, and Spolstra is a genius. I got all of that, but they are not going to be able to make any other seismic moves this offseason. I saw Barry Jackson saying, hey, you know, they'll shake the tree on see if Lebron wants to come back to Miami. Would that change my opinion of their ceiling? Sure, if you could get a guy who is still a max level player on a year to year basis production wise, and get him for the mid level. Yeah, that would change my opinion. But I don't think Lebron's coming there, and there's not another player. It's like, oh, well, if you don't get Lebron, there's not another max level production guy that you can get for the mid level. And folks are going to try to twist themselves in knots explaining why, oh, actually, this Heat team can be a championship contender in Vegas thinks they are hard rock. Betts got him with the fifth best odds eighteen round sixteen, eighteen twenty to one to win the title, only behind OKC, San Antonio, Boston and New York, and I just think that's flatly wrong. Right now, the Miami Heat have one call it top six player in Giannis, another player call him a top thirty guy, not in the top twenty, but firmly in the top thirty in Bam. And then the only other guy on the roster that I would even consider to be in discussion to be a top seventy five players Norman Powell. And technically he's not on the roster. He's an unrestricted free agent. So yes, they're gonna be well coached, Yes they're gonna be great defensively, and yes you're gonna feel like a puncher's chance because of Yannis, But this is not This is a better situation than he had in Milwaukee, but it is not a way better team than Miami has had over the last few years. Giannis is a better player than anyone they've had, but losing that depth, potentially losing Powell because I I'm hesitant to say definitively they're going to be hard capped because they took in more salary than they sent out, because the trade again is not yet done, and there could be difference slight tweaks that could adjust those things, but potentially losing Powell, and the fact that I continue to believe the East is somewhat underrated, particularly at the top teams that right now I expect to be better in next year's regular season than Miami, just in the Eastern Conference, the Knicks, the Celtics more on them in a minute, the Pistons, and the Calves. That's four teams I expect to be better than them in the regular season. Now, the Pistons and the I don't have a lot of faith for them in the postseason as and we'll see what moves they make. But that does not teams that should be I to eye with the Heat, the Hawks, who were awesome post Tray Young trade the Pacers, assuming Haliburton comes back as anything like the Halliburton were used to and while they're bummed they don't have their draft pick, they do have Zubats the see if the not writing them off, will wait and see version. Teams I don't expect to be as good as the Heat, but I can't flatly say have no shot at it Toronto, Orlando and Philly. So where do I expect the Heat to be next year? No better than fifth and no worse than seventh in the East. Winning a round certainly possible, Winning two rounds very unlikely. Winning three rounds I would be utterly stunned, and winning four rounds not possible. Again, Aw the smile on my face if this gets clipped and sent back to me in eleven months and Giannis is hoisting his second Larry O'Brien and a guy who had done more than seventy five percent of the top twenty players of all time before the age of twenty seven, regains that trajectory, but I don't think that's likely. I think instead what's likely is a a version of millwe of what we saw from Milwaukee a couple years ago. Down in Miami. When they win in the high forties, they're a good, not great team, and nobody really thinks they can win the championship. Now, I get it, some people are gonna say that all would have been different if Yiannis didn't get hurt right before those playoffs are in some of those playoff runs. Yes, it it would have been different in that they maybe don't miss the playoffs outright, or they didn't miss the playoffs, they don't losing round one. Pardon me, but it wasn't gonna be different than that. The team was gonna go on a deep, elongated run. And I just don't know why, how Miami's gonna have enough offense, how Miami's gonna have enough shooting, How Miami's gonna fill out this roster when the thing we have seen time and time again in this new NBA is man having seven, eight, nine guys you can really trust over the course of a postseason is just critical. And so as a basketball fan, I'm just bummed because and I don't blame Let me put make this clear. I don't blame Miami for rolling the dice and doing this. They had no other way to go get a player anywhere near as good as Giannis. You hope that it's just been bad luck on the injuries, that the heat magic medical staff and the heat culture can be a little rejuvenating for him health wise, and that in an era where guy's prime is extending longer and they're playing at a high level for a longer period than ever before, that forget a Lebron Arc, but that he could have a Kevin Durant or Steph Curry, you know, extended prime, and even though he's going into year fourteen and he's in his thirties, that he's got not two or three more awesome years, but four or five more awesome years. So I understand rolling the dice on that. And when the best asset you gave up was Tyler Hero or unprotected picks, when pat Riley's going to be in his mid eighties, salute. I don't blame you for doing it. I don't blame the Bucks for saying, well, I'll get to the Buck side of it. In a bit, because there's an argument as far as how what the better option for them was. I just, as a basketball fan, wish he was in Boston, and everybody knows that. Will you know that watches this show or knows my history. While I picked the Celtics to win the title foolishly this year, It's not like I've been some long term Boston Celtics or Boston sports in general, you know, fan or supporter. But the Celtics with Tatum and with keeping their depth intact, had they traded Jalen Brown, plus I know they didn't want to give up Hugo Gonzales. I I I don't understand how is Hugo Gonzalez untouchable? And I you know, I might talk with Simmons later this week. He's gonna have to explain it to me. How the twenty eighth pick of the draft, who played fifteen minutes a game this year and gave you four points a game and in the playoffs when you were grasping in the midst of blowing up three to one lead, how Hugo you know, could be trusted if you will, over the course of that series for a grand total of nineteen minutes along with three DNB coaches decisions. How that player can't be a sweetener to get this deal done? Baylor Shireman, who you know, I like fine, but again it is a replaceable piece, a twenty six year old thirtieth overall pick who again in the playoffs, gave you fourteen minutes a game and four points a game. How that guy you if that one would have taken to get this trade over the finish line. Shit, for the sake of the of Giannis's future, do it. Tatum and Giannis would have instantly been the best duo in basketball. Your over reliance on three point shooting would have been instantly fixed. And if you were willing to give up Jalen Brown in two first and to get it over the finish line, it would have taken Gonzales or Shireman, or God forbid both of them. I don't know how you don't do it. And again, folks that Diard Celtics fans are gonna be like Nick, you didn't watch him as closely as we did. You know what, You're right, but you would have been going to war with Giannis Tatum, Derek White, Peyton Pritchard, Howser, Nemi Cata who am I forgetting there's another Oh, the other center, Luke Garza and whoever you fill in the rest of the roster with. Even if you had trade both those guys, I now Boston might be feeling like, well, we have different ways to improve the roster, once again involving trading Jalen Brown. And so we'll get to Boston's piece of it shortly. But just as a I I respect that Giannis didn't just say one team and one team only in ruin Milwaukee's leverage. I do wish it the end once you got Boston's best possible he had put his finger on the scale and said, yeah, tell Miami, I'm not signing a contract with him. Take Boston Steel, because that is the That would have been a way to almost guarantee we get to see Yanna's deep into the playoffs and whatever's left in his prime teaming up with Tatum. I think Boston's depth is better than Miami's, and their best player is way better than Miami's. Tatum versus Pam way better and so on. I asked this on the TV show today, if you had to make this bet, it's A or B A Yanni's wins a title with the Heat, or b he never makes a conference finals with the Heat. What's the smarter bet, and maybe the most likely is you know, outcome, see makes conference finals? You know, but never. But it's just it's one or the other. It's binary. Either it's a huge success or it's a pretty significant I don't want to call it failure because you get Yannis fans are excited, but team team success wise failure. You win a title at some point with the Heat if you're Yannis, or you never make the conference finals with the Heat. To me, never make the conference finals is a way better bet. And if he had been traded for Jalen Brown two firsts and Baylor Shireman and I offer you the same bet. He wins a title with the Celtics or he never makes a conference finals with the Celtics. You are, without blinking, picking wins the title because the idea that that Celtics team would never make a conference finals be incomprehensible. And not only is that not incomprehensible for this Heat team, I think it's the likely outcome. Now again, Heat magic, We'll see, but the magic's gonna have to be creating rotational playoff caliber players out of thin air. You can argue they did it with Struce and Gabe Vincent. They'll do it again. I want to see it. Today's show is brought to you by representing sponsor a hard Rock Bet, Florida's sportsbook. The world's biggest soccer tournament is here. Everyone's watching National Pride on the line, superstars chasing immortality, and for the next month, every match feels like a final. If you haven't tried hard Rock Bet yet, there's no better time to get in the game. Hard Rock Bet is a top sportsbook gap built to viva la copa, whether you're backing your country, betting on your favorite superstar, building a same game parlay for the biggest matches of the tournament. Hard Rock Bet is your way to get in on the action. If you ever laid to kickoff, don't worry. Hard Rock Bet let you live bet all match long, from the first minute to the final whistle. Plus, hard Rock Bet is new promos daily. You're talking about profit boosts, no sweat bets, bonus bets and more, and be sure to check out No Goals, No Problem and Super Sub two promos designed to give your bets insurance all tournament long. Sign up with hard Rock Bet today in place a five dollar bet. If it wins, you'll all score one hundred fifty dollars in bonus bets. A winning bet plus an extra one hundred fifty dollars to bet with. Now that's how you get this summer's party started. Hard Rock Bet is Florida's only legal sportsbook, but you don't have to be in Florida join the party. Hard Rock Bet is live in Arizona, Ohio, New Jersey, Indiana, Tennessee, Virginia, Illinois, Colorado, and Michigan. Download the hard Rock Bet app today. Roll with Us, Goal with Us.
Speaker 2: Hard Rock Bet offered by the Seminole Tribe of Florida, offered by Seminol hard Rock Digital LLC and all Oder states. Must be twenty one plus and physically president in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia to play. Terms and conditions apply. Concerned about gambling in Florida, call one eight three to three play wise. In Indiana. If you are somebody you know as a gambling problem wants help, call what eight hundred and nine with it in Arizona, Ohio, Virginia. Call one eight hundred my reset gambling problem, called one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 3: Early this morning, the Timber was traded LaMelo gonna tie and pair them up over there with Aunt.
Speaker 4: The Hornets got nasried.
Speaker 3: A twenty twenty thirty three first pick, three swaps in three seconds. Minnesota also just traded away Randall, which opened ups in space. Do you think that they are better now than they were a week ago? Something tells me you don't love this move.
Speaker 1: Oh I love this move. I love this move for the Hornets. Smart I listen, I'm not gonna do any I told you so's it's unbecoming. But coming off his best year and the team's best season, and his healthiest year, and at the peak of his popularity, the Charlotte Hornets said, you know, let's get out of the LaMelo ball business. For nas red and won first and a handful of swaps, And that's smart. I I understand. There was a lot of controversy surrounding my comments and criticisms of LaMelo Ball after he injured Bam out of bio and ended the Miami Heat season in that play in game. Uh, but The overarching criticism that at the time I said, and that I said, I was shocked was not simply echoed by everyone. Was I thought we all agreed that this guy was an unserious player and that he was a forget all the somewhat harmless but pretty alarming off the court immaturity stuff on the court, plays a wildly immature style of ball, and understandably his family got all mad at me, but other folks, other commentators were acting as if I was way out of bounds in saying what I thought everybody tended to agree with. We have now learned, you know who also agreed with it, the team that knew him best. And so I think Charlotte saying Conker Nipple, Brandon Miller, Kobe White as a point guard who they just gave seventy five million to, now the kid they just drafted building around that plus a real pro and super valuable guy nasried that we like that plan moving forward. I think that's smart from Charlotte, particularly when you consider Demons LaMelo in about a week is going to become extinsion eligible, where he right now has three years, one hundred and thirty million left on his deal, which is not terrible, but he's got he's got three years one thirty left. He becomes eligible for them to add two years one twenty, which would make it essentially a five year, two hundred and fifty million dollar commitment to LaMelo Ball, and I don't think the Hornets have any had any interest in doing that, and so they decided to sell high Minnesota. On the other hand, I am baffled at them absolutely reimagining their team like this for reasons I don't totally understand. So before I get to my Minnesota thoughts, Demonse, what was your reaction, because I was I can't say I was shocked by it, because there was reporting late last night that this could happen, but prior to the If if I hadn't seen the reporting late last night, I would have been totally shocked by this, but we kind of got a little precursor that it was on its way. What was your reaction to seeing LaMelo Ball was traded to the Minnesota Timberwolves.
Speaker 3: Well, I thought it was a little strange, just because they had they just gave Iyo a new contract and they were saying they were moving Nasried to the power Forward and then Nasrit is gone, you get another guard.
Speaker 4: I I like it. I think that I don't them.
Speaker 3: I mean the Charlotte is they have the tenth best odds in the East right now.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: Like I just feel like they're not in a great spot. I think that it makes the Timberwolves better. I think it gives them the perfect mix of offense and defense. I don't I don't hate the move. And then also with them being so successful this year, and for LaMelo, maybe some internalization, you know, they got you out of here, you got just had a really good year. Maybe that forces you to kind of change some of your ways and just new scenery for him.
Speaker 4: I don't hate I don't hate them.
Speaker 1: So that's why I wanted to go to you first, because I think the way you feel about it is going to be more mainstream than the way I feel about it. I think the way you I didn't know you felt that way, but I guessed you did. That you would be like Listen nas Reed and one first round pick for an All Star for an a guy who's a scorer and a great passer. When you his biggest weakness is the defensive end, but you still have aunts who's a great defender. Jade McDaniels, who's a great defender, Rudy Gobert, who's a great defender. So you'll you can, you know, overcome his defensive limitations that this raises your ceiling. And so I think that's how a lot of people feel. And it is absolutely and this is not I'm not this is gonna sound like I'm being patronizing or distrightful to that opinion, which I know a lot of people hold, And it absolutely makes a ton of sense. On two K. I think in real life it will not work. Like I said, I knew that was gonna come across poorly, and I don't I do not think you can in an offseason get rid of too true pros. Now Julius struggles mightily in the playoffs, but Julius Randalls are hard like you salary out him, hard working pro and gonna show up every night, nas Reed, one of the truest pros in the whole league and one of the most respected. You know, teammates and leaders that team has had. Get rid of both of them and bring in LaMelo and not have it drastically change the sports character of the team. Yeah, the culture of the team. And when you add to it that LaMelo's never played in a big games in the NBA and the Timberwolves play only in big games. As far as in the postseason, you can say, oh, he's played in the play and he has played in the play in and three of the four biggest play in blowouts in league history. LaMelo Ball was on the wrong side of his numbers in those limited playing games have been garish. I my gut reaction is we will look back on this as and it's different reasons, different rationales as to why a team did it. But demonte, I think we will look back on this the way we look back on Dame going to minnes or to Milwaukee as oh, that was the first really big domino in the Superstar asking out. Like I think that in two years when one of the big topics is is Minnesota going to trade Anthony Edwards? That will be because this last week of moves has blown up on them, and.
Speaker 3: So you knew that this was Do you think this was them trying to appease ant them getting LaMelo.
Speaker 4: I feel like that was kind of you're going there.
Speaker 1: Well, it's them clearly saying either they felt like we needed to make a massive shift or this is something ant wanted. But if you were going to make some huge franchise altering move, you were on the list of teams. Evidently that was engaging on Honest, that to me is worthwhile. I would have said, hey, all right, we can't get Yannis, what about the other team that didn't get y Honest, what can we do to get jail and Brown? Who fits perfectly on that team? You can is the same, you know, kind of age profile as these guys. Is also a pro like a move like that. I just I I don't know why Minnesota felt like they had to do something this drastic and this risky, and that does not even incorporate at all. The one thing we've talked to this for ten minutes, what we haven't mentioned yet is the massive injury concern. LaMelo ball games played the three years prior to last year thirty six, twenty two, forty seven. Now, last year he was healthy, they turned their season around, He was good until the play in games like that. It is, you know, credit to what he did last year. But I believe they're gonna they've painted themselves into a corner of they've got to give him that contract extension. I don't think he has demonstrated at any point in his career and ability to consistently play winning basketball or mature basketball. And you've never seen him what he looks like in the playoffs, because six years into his career, his team's never been a playoff team. And now you're just now, man oh man, Now you're just casting your lot ahead. And I I thought Demont's that Minnesota. It also is odd in that, like you said, they extend ioh. I liked what Tarren Shannon Junior showed. Dante is still on the team, and Iron City has popped Achilles, lot of lot of guards, like are they Anton, LaMelo, and Io are all obviously now And Jaden McDaniels, well, I guess that's it. And Rudy there's your five starters. You know, Jayden is a wing, so you're gonna play four out plus Rudy.
Speaker 3: I mean maybe me Gobert's limitations on offense. You definitely need some guys out there. Yeah, I mean, what do you think they're ceiling? Is with this team like that? You don't think they're gonna make any noise next year?
Speaker 1: No, I think they got worse. I think they got worse, Like I think, I I understand that nas Reed is not as good of a player as LaMelo Ball, but not the I thought when they Salary dump Julius Randall, demons like nas Reed become became so important for them. Yeah, and here's the other question that I have, and I'm curious your thoughts on this. How do you think LaMelo is going to react to not being the man on a team for the first time he's ever played basketball in his life.
Speaker 3: I don't think he's one of those guys where it would like get to him, like like my guy Jaylen Brown. I think that, uh yeah, And I feel like he is a like Lamello. You just got to understand like where you're going like at this point, Like, I don't think he's going to have any spite or like feeling any type of way.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know the guy.
Speaker 1: But oh man, I know, I don't I have.
Speaker 4: Better than like than the old mellow Ball. I feel like it's pretty.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if he thinks Anthony Edwards is one of them. They're in the same draft class the I and so I just I I think this is really interesting, Like at Chino Hills, I guess didn't. I guess maybe he played a year and so that you know, so he wasn't the man there. But ever since his big brothers went off to college for his AU career, which you saw him play in person, when he was in Lithuania, when he was you know, international basketball, and then the Hornets, he's always just been the man. And so I I don't I think.
Speaker 3: That is a those two characters, Like I think with Ant's character and LaMelo's character, I do think that there will just be an understanding, to be honest, like I think those are like that.
Speaker 4: Man. Yeah, I mean I don't.
Speaker 3: Not necessarily like just straight up that, but I just think that those guys will jive well together to where like it doesn't it you don't really see that causing a problem on on court because I think they'll be really cool.
Speaker 1: Will and so I mean maybe I and Aunt. Definitely Will. Aunt carries himself with such an authentic confidence that you could see him like when he's interviewed, if he's asked about something like this, Aunt saying like almost innocuously, yeah, well, like ever, you know, he knows that it's my team and I'm the best player. But he'll begin with that, like you know what, Like he could like like just saying it non shalanty, like it's obvious to everyone. But I think Aunt would feel that way if Shay got traded to his team. Yeah, I think I hate to be like, well, he knows I'm better than him obviously, and but it's my team. He's coming here, so maybe it will solve it's you know, may it will solve itself.
Speaker 4: It just is.
Speaker 1: For a team that made the conference finals, made the conference finals last year, beat Denver and threw a scare into San Antonio despite being decimated by injury, for them to just be like blow it up, which I know they didn't blow it up, but they blew up their.
Speaker 4: Front intrajectory a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is really really surprising to me. All Right, I know you have some follow ups here, So let's get to him.
Speaker 3: So that the Hornets get three swaps in this deal. As we stated, are they betting Do you think they're betting on ant leaving?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think they are reckagizing. It's on the board and there's no reason not to ask for swaps like the you can always trade swaps or giveaway swaps. You can't always trade picks, and what they're saying so that the pick they got is as far down the road as they can get twenty thirty three. So there, and the swaps are just, hey, maybe you have a down year, maybe Aunt leaves or maybe LaMelo gets hurt and the team's not as good and with the new flat and lottery odds, like we get lucky, and so why not ask for the swap? But yeah, I mean that's that's not nothing. And the Charlotte now has extra draft capital, nas reed on a good deal, like all that stuff makes sense. All right, let's keep going here.
Speaker 3: Charlotte's bringing back Kobe White and they're currently tied for tenth best odds in the East.
Speaker 4: Uh do you think the Vegas has that right?
Speaker 1: Like, I mean, I mean, they might as well have the fifty. I don't care what best. I mean, they have no shot whatsoever winning the East, Like they won't make the playoffs next year. But I still like the move, Like I know, I.
Speaker 4: Didn't wait what like they just they just kind of made the play.
Speaker 3: I guess they made the play in but like this, yeah, definitely makes the Hornets worse I shouldn't say worse they got an Osrien.
Speaker 1: That's a no no, but you can. I do think it. They won forty four games last year. I expect them to win less next year, but I don't really care about that. Like they with or with It's not as if, well, had they kept LaMelo, they would be a contender in the East next year. Like teams in the East that with or without this trade next year I think will be better than them, in no particular order, the Knicks, the Celtics, the Pistons, the Calves, the Heat obviously, the Pacers, the Hawks, the Magic where it ate already? Who am I leaving out? Oh, the Raptors and the Sixers. So there's ten. There's like so the the team's not in the playing in the East, Charlotte, Milwaukee, Chicago, Brooklyn, Washington, those teams. But that's fine, Like you you make your big push if you're Charlotte the year after next when Canipple's in year three, Brandon Miller's like in his prime. That to me, that's how you look at it. Now. Maybe they'll overachieve, but no, I don't think they I don't think they're a threat. But they just they did something no one ever does demonte which is traded their franchise guy early, but you know at his peak of his value. All right, one last question on this some tattoos.
Speaker 3: Is someone who's gotten a risky tattoo in the past, do you have a message for the fans that might have gotten a nazriy tattoo.
Speaker 1: I mean that was a stunning trend when it happened. I mean, that's the other piece of this. He was something of like a cult hero, like when when the governor of Minnesota was Kamala's vice presidential candidate and nas Reed's getting name checked at like the presidential vice presidential debates like it's it was.
Speaker 4: He's just a guy.
Speaker 1: And and there are a lot of people that where I have the never a doubt tattoo that I still have not figured out how to show on camera. I still can't do it. I don't know what's wrong with me. I have like armed dyslexia or something. I still can't do it. There is uh they have the they have little nas red tattoos like on their forearm.
Speaker 3: That's or is it Reed's face?
Speaker 1: No? I think I think I think a lot of them just say nas Reed, no, Reed's face be aggressive aggressive, No, I I guess it's only seven letters, though maybe you can cover it up with something. And I can't believe. I can't believe that I let the producers get away with you saying to me, as someone who's gotten some questionable tattoos in.
Speaker 5: The past, I feel like I feel like that that definitely could have been thrown in the other direction, telling you right now, it's.
Speaker 1: Just boost Mobile proving you don't have to overpay for great wireless. Unlock the savings with twenty five dollars a month forever unlimited plan, permanent price with no contracts and no price hikes, and you can keep your phone and your number, but you save up to six hundred dollars a year compared to the major carrier. Stop overpaying. Switch to a fair price at boost mobile dot com today based on average annual single line payment of AT and T Verizon and T Mobile customers, compared to twelve months on the boost Mobile Unlimited plan as of January twenty six. For full off for details, visit boost mobile dot com. And another reminder to everyone to like, rate, subscribe, and review the show. All right, Demanse, let's talk some other NBA stuff before we get a little more into the World Cup.
Speaker 3: Today, Lakers signed ar to four years, one eighty five MAX deal and that new money doesn't hit for another year, so the Lakers can have the most cap space in basketball. This leaves the Lakers and Lebron in a weird situation. I shouldn't say weird, but they got to do some of Lebron.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so so okay, so few let me clarify there that money, Austin's money will hit the cap this season, but they can wait for it won't hit the cap this off season until they're done making all their other moves. So they they have an agreement in principal with Austin that's gonna pay him forty six million a year. He right now as a cap hold of twenty million. What the Lakers will do is they will make all their other signings with Austin only taking up twenty million of their cap. They then will sign him to the deal they just agreed to, and because they and then his cap number will go from the twenty million to in the forties. But because they have his bird rights, they can go over the cap to resign him, which is to say, even though he is getting this deal with the Lakers. It doesn't change their cap situation for the rest of the offseason, so they still have flexibility. And so let's just first let's talk Austin, then we'll talk Lebron. This is a fair deal for Austin Reeves. I like it more than the five years at the max they could have given him any other team in the league that had cap space. De Monse the most he could have gotten from someone one else is four for one eight. So the Lakers were like, hey, we're not going to give you the most we can give you, which is five for two twelve or something. I know it would have been five for like two thirty. Yeah, but we will give you a touch more than anyone else can give you to ensure you have no reason to leave.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: So, with the belief being that a team like Detroit might have found a way to open up cap space, as you see, they get rid of Isaiah Stewart if they thought they could get Austin rings. So that's why he got the money he got. As far as can Austin and Luca be a championship duo, here's what I will say. The proof of concept behind that would be if somebody goes and looks at the playoff stats from the twenty twenty four Dallas Mavericks. That team that made the finals, that in round one beat Kawhi, Paul George and Harden with the Clippers. In round two, beat the Thunder and Shay. In round three, beat the Timberwolves with Aunt and Karl Anthony Towns, and then in the finals got clipped by Boston. That team here were there's six leading in the playoffs minutes per game guys Luca, Kyrie, Irving, and then a bunch of role players PJ. Washington, Derek Jones, junior Daniel Gafford, and a rookie Derek Lively excuse me and Daniel Gafford and PJ Washington Demonde had been picked up at the trade deadline that year and they were an awesome playerf team until they ran into a better team in Boston. So you definitely can around Luca have the co star B and offense only pure scorer and build a contender. The question is can the Lakers do that? Like it is Polinka capable of it? Do they have the ability to identify players as to his credit, Nico Harrison and the MAVs front office did, and are they willing to be as aggressive as that MAVs team was and you know, making deals at the deadline and identifying the right types of athletes and defenders and bigs that you need to not only build around a Luca team, but build around a Luca team where the coast is an offense only guard. But we have seen it done. Okay, So there's that piece of it. And then there is the Lebron piece, which is is Lebron still a MAX player? I mean on a year to year basis sure? Like, look we saw on the playoffs last year. Lebron in a playoff series against the Rockets was just clearly the best player on the court. He is, even at his age, as reliable from a health standpoint as any of the three best players on the Lakers. But is he a MAX player for the Lakers when you already have Luca and Austin? I mean probably not ultimately the MAX piece if it doesn't matter because nobody's given Bron the max on the marketplace, nobody has max cap space. And here is what is to me, like what I think the most likely outcome Demont's a is Lebron re signs with the Lakers and then if things don't go aren't going well. The Lakers leaked to the media how annoyed they are that they had to resign Lebron, when again, you don't have to do anything. They did it this year when Lebron was months removed from sixth in MVP voting as he was last year or the year before last, when the Lakers had their little early season swoon. We saw the long form ESPN dot com piece where Genie Buss is basically like, yeah, I'm not We're dying to get out of the Lebron business. We just haven't been able to. Here is to me, the what's a bummer about? How I see this final Lebron chapter going. The two places he's most likely to end up, the Lakers or the Warriors, can be fun, but not top tier championship contenders. I don't think the Lakers can do enough on the defensive end, the the acquiring a big that fits with Luca better than DeAndre Ayton, and that's whether they keep Lebron or not. The Warriors, unless they added Lebron and Anthony Davis, I don't think that a team would have enough and it would just you know it's Simmons been talking about a long time, the Expendables, the super old Guy team. There are, however, four or five teams DeMont say that I think are good, but not contender good, I'm sorry, not top level contender good that if they added Lebron, I would and I don't care that he's in year twenty four and gonna be forty two years old. Instantly I would think could win the title. I just don't think they are realistic places for him. But I think if he were to go to Denver for the mid level, that absolutely that that Denver team could win the title. I think if he were to go to Detroit, as Whin delightly speculated about as a possibility yesterday, that Detroit team could win the title. I think if he were to go to Miami, a Miami team that I don't really believe in at right now, but he would solve a lot of what their potential issues are. That Miami team could win the title. And there was one more team that when I was thinking about.
Speaker 4: This, Minnesota prior to what happened.
Speaker 1: Well, it definitely was Minnesota prior to this, but even prior to the LaMelo deal, but there was one more team, Oh, Houston, Houston. If he were to go there, I think that Houston team could win the title. But I just don't think those are likely any of those are likely places for him.
Speaker 3: With Detroit and so, I feel like that does Lebron fix their problems with the lack of offense.
Speaker 4: I guess the Rockets have Kadie and.
Speaker 3: I'm not trying to say that Lebron's not good at offense, but at the same time, like those I think those teams need some offensive powerhouses.
Speaker 1: So that's I think that those teams, because Lebron would be able to run the show to a degree offensively. Obviously, Cad would run it, you know, a lot of the time in Detroit, and they have good enough defensive players around in that Lebron could exert one hundred of his energy on the offensive end. I do think he would solve their offensive prompts. He would just get guys good shots. It would be what he did for the Lakers during their playoff series against the Rockets, you know. The I do think that. I obviously, you know, Wendy is talking about the Lakers being interested in a sign and trade for Lebron for Jared Allen, and I do think Jared Allen would be perfect for the Lakers, and while Lebron is obviously way better than Jared Allen, Jared Allen would be a better fit for what the Lakers since the Lakers have Luca ar But I just don't think and Lebron going back to Cleveland is fun. If they hadn't made the James Harden move, I would be more open to that, but Lebron just going from Cleveland to LA to play in another place where he's gotta be the Swiss army knife role because your top two scorers in Luke and Austin or and Mitchell and Harden simply can't really adjust their game the way you can is not.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know how attractive that is. If he goes to Golden State, the ball's in his hands because STEP's off the ball a ton anyway, He's kind of still running the show, but he doesn't have to be the highest volume scorer on the team. Steph can still be that.
Speaker 3: It's just I think people would not Letbron hear the end of it if he went to Golden State. I know Lebron doesn't care or any of that, but I think that being his final chapter, and it's like, oh, Lebron is always play and playing with these players that are good. It's like, you know, always seeking the stuff out. I get Curry's old, you know, you don't think that the masses.
Speaker 1: I mean, here's what I think. The Warriors haven't been anywhere close to contending and five since they won the time you know, they won the title. Then the next year they won forty four games and Lebron knocked him out of the playoffs. The year after that they won forty six games and they lost in the play in the year after that they won forty eight games and lost in round two. And last year they won thirty seven games. Now, yes, people would create you know, stupid Twitter graphics about teammates Lebron has had and all that stuff. But the last season, Lebron was healthier than Steph Curry, His team was better than Steph's. He made the playoffs and won a round like you can't it. And the only reason I'm even bring that up is Lebron would be going there because they need him, not because he's writing coattails. Uh. But yeah, I do think there certainly would be a school of thought about of what you're discussing,