Speaker 1: This is the most dramatic podcast ever and iHeartRadio podcast. Chris Harrison and Lauren z E mccoming to you from the home office in Austin, Texas. Happy spring break, everybody. I hope you made it through. This is what the I think. It's the end of the three weeks of all the spring breaks that everybody has taken with their kids, and I hope you all survive.
Speaker 2: I think there's one more. There's a round of one more.
Speaker 3: I know, because we are actually going to my college, University of Missouri, right to check out Josh's your son, Josh has lacrosse game against Miszoo. And my only reason I'm like a little bummed out is that we are going and it's going to be spring break weekend, so like I want you to have the full Miszoo experience with the kids walking across the quad and all that, and it might be a little quiet.
Speaker 2: M I z z oh you baby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are going to go. Elz and I are going back to college. We're going to go back to Missoo. We're going to check out the Theta. How We're gonna I'm so excited around town. I'm excited too.
Speaker 2: I loved going to Miszoo.
Speaker 3: Miszoo at TCU when we first looked at it with the kids, reminded me of Missoo and that they're both very like, this is what you think college is supposed to look like. There's a it's all centered around the quad. The town is really into the college. It's like very you know, it's not in the middle of some big city, and you know, I mean, every college experience can be different, but I remember thinking, I'm so glad I kind of had the ultimate, you know, picturesque college.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to see the Lourenzema statue, the Lauren Zema Square, and I think we actually are going to talk to some mass calm students there, so it's going to be fun. I'm looking forward to geting up the Miszoo.
Speaker 3: So okay, I mean before we get there, there's not a mass calm department at the University of Missouri.
Speaker 2: The University of Missouri School of Journalisms.
Speaker 1: Oh god, okay, oh gosh.
Speaker 2: The number the first two I have to say it with an accent, you have to say it with gravitas.
Speaker 1: School of Judaism.
Speaker 3: And we're not British, We're American. Okay, just have some depth to it. This is the first ever journalism school in the country. This is the number one journalism school in the country. Okay, you can't go in there, saying the mass Calm department, please have some respect.
Speaker 2: Oh man. Anyway, this week is gonna be great.
Speaker 3: But we did just have a great weekend of spring break because.
Speaker 1: Our kids were off last week. And yeah, so spring break.
Speaker 2: We love the.
Speaker 3: Flight prices that American Airlines gives us when they know it's Texas school spring break. Dear Lord, I glance these airline prices. They've gotten crazy to me. I glanced at our I thought about maybe changing our flight back, because we were in Mexico with your wonderful daughter Taylor and three of her incredible friends.
Speaker 2: They were such sweet girls.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad they have each other and that they are prioritizing female friendships in college. Advice icon instantly give, and I glanced at changing our flight if someone wanted to get on our flight back. A flight from Cabos, San Lucas to Austin, Texas was three three hundred dollars a one way, one way ticket, basic economy.
Speaker 2: Fair. What's going on? What's going on?
Speaker 1: I asked the flight attendant that. He said, there's an algorithm now, it's all AI. There isn't like he said, nobody sitting next to anybody is paying the same price for any seat.
Speaker 3: It's like to on demand Taylor swift eras tour ticket pricing style all AI.
Speaker 1: It's what they're doing with apartments now. And we can get into this someday too, about the whole AI, about how it's raising all the rents for everybody because it's basically a monopoly. Now they are controlling the price, and as soon as someone buys one apartment, they'll up the next price and up the next price. So it's not going to be just this flat rate for everybody. Same thing used to be for airline tickets, right, they'd at a price everybody would buy a ticket and they go now as soon as more and more tickets are sold or whatever.
Speaker 2: It is, set on demand algorithm thing, and so he.
Speaker 1: Said, never again will people pay the same price for tickets.
Speaker 2: That's wild to me.
Speaker 3: And here's what's nonsensical about And it makes me wonder if they'll pull back. I would imagine I wonder if they miss out on selling tickets like today, if you needed that flight, I'd be like, well, I'm not going to pay thirty.
Speaker 1: Three floors at the executive office that just do this. They just set pricing and just deal with.
Speaker 2: These is it floors If people are computers or.
Speaker 1: Just computers, now, probably they've made the people obsolete. Now it's just a setting the Yeah, because that's a big thing with rent now and all these apartments, is that you know, it's essentially a monopoly. It's not the same company, but it's a different kind of monopoly because all the companies are basically working together to set the price, and it will just go up and up, and so no one's going to undercut anybody. No one's going to get a deal. Same thing with these airlines. It's long gone to the days where you're going to get a deal.
Speaker 2: I mean, thirty three hundred dollars. I was like, let's go to Europe.
Speaker 1: You know, it is cheaper to go to Europe than it is to go I was sey domestically.
Speaker 3: Now I just got right, like I just got some TikTok fed to me or an Instagram rule or something. That's probably because I was annoyed in looking this up where someone was talking about how it's you know, it's ski season right now, that it's cheaper to fly to France and go skiing in France than it is in to go to Colorado.
Speaker 2: I was like, well, take me to France, exactly, fly me to France. I'll go.
Speaker 1: Speaking of British accents, I would love to not talk about this because I'm going to put this in the Taylor Swift category of sure you would love to avoid it. But when I noticed you and I have been talking about something for three days straight, it's just what it's what we got to talk about. We have been talking about this. Kate, Kate Gate, water kits William water Kate.
Speaker 2: Some people are saying water kak Kay.
Speaker 1: I like that, but it is where and who is Kate Middleton?
Speaker 2: Where? And who? Oh my god, it's you know this, this conspiracy of.
Speaker 1: Where is Kate? And the photo that was doctored? Is she okay? And then the Palace say, you know, she had abdominal surgery, don't expect to see her before Easter, and she's recovering, please respect her privacy, okay, And then all of a sudden, she emerges with this doctored photo that only stirred things up more Well, yesterday we finally got living proof via a video from the Windsor Market or did we or did this video just stir things up even more so?
Speaker 3: When something has reached your ears, then that is also always a gauge to me that it's really getting weird and people are really into it. I like, first, I want to say, because I've been posting about Kate Gate a little bit on Instagram, and I've gotten a lot of people, mostly people who were like, oh my gosh, I'm so invested what is going on? And then I'll get a few people who are saying, I can't believe you and Chris are even talking about this, because your public figures and you need to respect her. I want to make something clear. I've not criticized her in any way. I've not criticized William even in any way, And I do not want the paparazzi going out and hounding to try to find pictures of Kate. What I am fascinated by and what I am critiquing is the Palace's roll out of this is the way that they've handled whatever she's going through and how badly it's gone. I think that this has done significant damage to the level of trust and the level of respect that people have for the royal family their role.
Speaker 2: Out of all this, it's been a mess and okay, so much.
Speaker 1: I have so many thoughts flooding through my head, and I'll start with what you just said. I don't know if it is the fact that we don't trust the media anymore, and I think that's a huge part of it. Nobody trusts the media, So there's that and the fact that I don't know we can trust the Royal Palace anymore and their pr So there's this weird dichotomy going on if I don't trust the palace and what they're putting out, but then a lot of the stuff that's hitting the media, and of course social media is not trustful, so it's hard to find out where the truth is. Like yesterday there was this big thing about the flags that can anyone tell me why the flags at Buckingham Palace are at half staff?
Speaker 3: They weren't because the conspiracy theories are at the point of some people are like, Kate is dead. They're hiding that she's dead, and I'm like, you, guys, the.
Speaker 1: White Horse a month ago that went through and that signifies somebody passed away, and then the flags are at half staff. And then you know, somebody debunks that and says, well that that picture was taken back in September.
Speaker 2: Right, the video is old, they're not.
Speaker 1: Actually, you have to worry about all that stuff even when And then can we just throw in Barack Obama. Now, Barack Obama is on Downing Street, he's an England Meetia with the prime What does that have to do with it? And then but honestly, as soon as I saw Barack Obama's video of him in England, my first thought was, I don't believe this was this from when he was president? You know, is this an old video as well? So well, you do hard to corroborate this stuff.
Speaker 2: You really have to.
Speaker 3: Question what is what you see on Twitter, on TikTok, on Instagram, because I think I don't know why it is if it's because people want to go viral, or if because they don't check out where they're getting stuff, but they post things that are like, yeah, it's like this old photo and people are posting it like it's new, and then what is the truth becomes very confusing and we live in that age and that is why I really started getting into this Kate thing when it came out that the photo of her on Mother's Day with her kids was fully doctored, Because the issue to me there is it's not an issue of oh, we airbrushed a photo and you know, smoothed out some skin and made somebody look a little better and had a really good life.
Speaker 1: He's a weird film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the fact that it has been shown through the metadata of the photo, that it was seemingly two or three different photos comprised together, that Kate's face was not the face like of that photo, and that it was presented as if it was real. You can't be a public figure creating and faking an official figure. I mean, the people of England pay for the Royal family.
Speaker 1: I think you hit a good point the other day when you and I were talking about this, going back to journalism in your school of journalism, you had. The biggest issue was they sent that out as journalism to news organizations, and you're sending that out as this is legit, this is real.
Speaker 3: You can't send a fake a photo of a faked moment, a moment that never happened to the Associated Press, to Reuters, to the AFP and say send this out for wide distribution. If you want to put something up on your Instagram, that's your right, right. But those agencies are supposed to be sending out images that are only true.
Speaker 1: And there's a difference between you put a filter on it and you fix your you know, a bruise or a beauty marker. So there's a difference between that and actually doctoring and faking a moment that didn't happen. That's the big difference here. We all use filters. Now, flash forward to this TMZ video. This was and I just saw something just two seconds ago. They ran the metadata and TMZ is going back over this saying, guys, this metadata shows this video was taken live Saturday. This did happen. Now, was that Kate? Was that William? All that stuff? You can argue that all the day, all day long. But so TMZ's backing up the fact that they released this as news. This moment happened in time. Whoever that woman is, it's Kate or if it's some other woman, we don't know because it doesn't look a lot like Kate. I'll be honest, but that we can confirmed did happen Saturday?
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, so the market.
Speaker 3: So I think with the reason that we keep talking about this now is because every thing that's happened has a weird angle to it. So this all started if you've really been living under I rock. The cliffs Notes version is over right after the holidays. The Palace says that Kate is going to have a planned abdominal surgery and she will be out of public appearances. She won't be seen until Easter, and everyone's kind of like, whoa that. First of all, she had a trip planned for Italy in early January that got canceled, so it doesn't really sound like a planned surgery. If you also had a planned trip you canceled, that's a little weird. And the fact that she's going to be out for a while kind of raises some red flags. But you know, hey, whatever the surgery is, she doesn't have to share her medical stuff with everybody, even though she's a public figure. I get that, but it was a little weird. So they started out with that, that's weird. Then she's really not seen, not even like you know, seen going to and from someone's house, not seen, and that's a little weird because if we remember Prince Philip when he was like in his late nineties, Yeah, there were some picks of him in a car and we were like, oh my god, let the man rest. I mean, so, while we didn't expect her public appearance as official appearances, it was a little weird that she literally wasn't seen anywhere. Then we get a picture of her in a car, but she doesn't totally look like Kate. She looks a little different. Now, maybe it's something medical that's going on. I don't want to it's not that she looks bad, but she doesn't totally look like Kate. Then we get a picture of her in a car with William, but you can't really see her face at all. It's like her from the back.
Speaker 2: That's weird.
Speaker 3: Then we get the doctored photo on Mother's Day that's completely fabricated. Now we have this video, and here's what's weird about the video. To me, I'm glad TMZ said that the metadata showed it was taken on Saturday.
Speaker 2: But if she is out at a.
Speaker 3: Farmer's market, the windsor little local market, right, and at this point everyone in the world is talking about this story, I would think everyone would have been whipping out their phones filming it, like, oh my gosh, it's Kate and Will and all we get is one video from very far away. It just feels odd to me, like that's like there's all every.
Speaker 2: Single one of these instances. Something is a little off, that's the thing.
Speaker 1: And at the end of the day, I don't want to care about this and the royal family is I'm really I'm not that interested in any of this stuff. But nothing has made sense. Nothing has been the lowest common denominator of just here she is here, Look, she's speaking, she's alive. The video of this woman, whoever that is, was not only not injured, hrt sick. She was gallivanting, like almost skipping through this market completely fine, as if nothing has ever happened to her a day in her life. None of this makes sense. Somebody's got to make it make sense to me.
Speaker 3: I just can't believe, Like, even if the people of England are quite respectful of Will and Kate, I can't believe that at this point, at this stage in the story, when everyone knows that, like the world over is talking about this, that a few people didn't like pull out their iPhone which everybody has, and like, take a couple of picks.
Speaker 2: If if you had, if this had.
Speaker 3: Been she showed up at a market and lots of people got pictures and took videos, I'd be like, Okay, there she is. She's fine, but it's just a little weird.
Speaker 1: And someone mentioned this as a bruder film of you know, the famous JFK film of trying to fit. It's like, that's how I feel we're looking at It's like, you know, people are trying to unblur the image, like again, help me make sense of this. And that's all I'm saying. I hope she's okay, God bless her. This is crazy, but they can end this.
Speaker 2: That's the thing.
Speaker 1: I don't want this on her, don't want to put this on her, but just by the way you can put it into it so quickly, and that's where when people get on you or you know, a message, you'd be like, oh, how dare you? Just let her live? Okay? They are famous to be famous, that is their job. Their their job is to be famous. Their royal family. They don't really have a job. It's not a title. It's a self proclaimed title from this family. But so just if your job is to be famous, your job is to be seen, as they say in the Crown or whatever, you know, part of my job is to be seen.
Speaker 3: When the Queen Elizabeth quote was a real quote, is she said I have to be seen to be believed.
Speaker 1: So Kate could put an end to this in two point two seconds and just put out a video of guys, I'm so glad you're worried about me, and dah dah da dah you saw me at the market the other day. I just want to let you know I feel all your prayers and well wishes. I'm doing great. I'll see you soon.
Speaker 2: Boom, We'll see that. And that's it, I know. And that's what I don't get.
Speaker 3: That's what I don't get because now I've heard some people point out and this is part of like the Royal families outdated. I think media policies apparently they like are like no selfie videos on social media, that's not something they allow, okay, But the Queen of England did an address every year, a video address at Christmas. It's not weird for them to do video messages, so why can't they just if Kate's added a farmer's market. Send someone with a camera to her house and have her film a quick, sweet video.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or make one of those royal appearances you know when they like, like you mentioned, when she had a baby.
Speaker 3: Well, but this is what everyone well, I know, okay, everyone's saying they kind of trotted her out after each baby. I mean, hours after giving earth she's standing in heels and address outside the hospital holding that baby. You want to talk about an abdominal surgery. I mean, she just had a baby, and they took photos of her hours later after each of the three kids.
Speaker 1: If she's that healthy, just walk her out, William, and you know, they don't ask, have to ask questions, just walk out, give the royal wave, right hey guys.
Speaker 3: Well so then this is when people make the argument of but she told us she wanted some privacy to recover from the surgery, okay, And then to that, I say, this is why I think the Palace is just handling it wrong. They should have just given people regular updates. Part of what this came out of is they were like, there won't be any updates. They literally send a statement there won't be updates. Well that's a little weird. I would have and William has been at these public appearances. Just tell people, Hey, everybody, he could have said something. Hey, everyone, just want you to know. Kate wishes she could be or she continues to recover. She sends her lest he's.
Speaker 2: That's the other thing.
Speaker 1: The husband, William has given speeches in the last few weeks as if none of this is happening. It's it's not gaslighting, but maybe that is the term of just stop making me feel crazy. Stop making me feel crazy for just trying to figure out what's going on. And every time I think I got a handle on this, you guys do something crazier.
Speaker 2: This is really affecting.
Speaker 1: I feel nuts because it's just, you know, when you and I always talk about these things when we get into journalism, when we get into stories, and you and I always dig deep in all these stories when it comes to news, and it's like when things don't make sense, when things don't pass the smell test, that's when I get intrigued. They've made me vested in this story because none of this makes sense. It's bonkers.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe we're the idiots and it's all really brilliant because they've gotten everyone talking about the road fan.
Speaker 1: You and I Well, as we were leaving the airport yesterday, I thought, is this are they thinking the next season of The Crown is not written and so we just have to come up with the most bizarre story.
Speaker 2: I don't need to get a cut of the Crown. That that's the problem. Ibe.
Speaker 3: Maybe they worked out a deal behind the scenes that Netflix, and now we'll get a cut in or.
Speaker 1: I mean I thought about this too. You know, we grew up in the world of the Kardashians. Are are they so savvy? And I don't think they are, because if we've learned anything from all this, the press are so disjointed over there, and the press meaning the pr people of the you know, Kate has her people, William has her people. You know, Megan and Harry had their people, et cetera. And they're all kind of contradictory, and they don't really have any synergy. And so I don't think they're smart enough to do this. But it would be brilliant if this was all contrived to just make the royal family.
Speaker 2: Well, because here's the thing. When we finally do see Kate, I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Be like, Oh, she loves yay, I love you Kate like I Like I said, I have no critique of Kate. I don't want her hounded and I don't want to I don't need to know if she's going through a private medical issue. I just think either A, the rollout of this was such a mess and they need to like have handled it better, have updates and things. If they had just given people a few regular updates, like like I'm talking once a month, you know, release a real photo of her, or have her do a VID or just release a statement or have William say something, it could have been a lot better. But B maybe it's just brilliant and maybe they got everyone's eyes and ears back on will and Kate and we're all really interested invested again and it's a resurgence of we want to know everything about you and it's really smart.
Speaker 1: I don't know, But when in what world does a video make things more confusing? And that in this day and age where it's like oh, okay, great, there you go.
Speaker 3: That video, it speaks to the day and age we're in right with AI. With deep fakes, people are going to question everything on a level they never did before. And again that's why I think, like what truth is becomes even more important, and I and the royal family is going to have to like find ways to navigate this now.
Speaker 1: Like, why doesn't that woman look like Kate? I think this is this is how crazy this has gotten me. And again for someone who was at his zero and now I'm at a twelve, I'm sitting here comparing picture old pictures of Kate to this video of Kate to old pictures of Kate to this, I'm like, this is what it's turned me into. I've become Colombo. I'm on the case. So clearly my thing is this isn't over. There is more weirdness to come. Something else will happen this week that's weirder than the last thing, and it's only going to stir things up even more. Obviously, she's the most sought after person in the world right now, so the fact that there weren't a thousand paparazzi at the Windsor Open air Market seems a little odd. So there we go, Kate Gate, all right. Next up Shakira. She is split up with.
Speaker 2: Her husband Gerard. Do you know how to say this? Last? Nay? Maybe he's a football he's a soccer player.
Speaker 1: He is a massive, massive Spanish football player. Okay spent the majority of his career obviously played for his country in Spain, but played for Barcelona along with Messi. He's a massive, massive international rock star.
Speaker 3: So they had quite a messy split in the past couple of years, and they were together for a long time, though they were together for over a decade. And she's done a new interview with The Sunday Times. And the reason this caught my eye is because I did not expect a woman of her level of success, honestly to say something like this. And I think what she said a lot of women understand and relate to.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 3: For a long time, I put my career on hold to be next to Gerard so he could play football. Shakira said. They share two kids together. By the way she said quote, there was a lot of sacrifice for love. Now, what was interesting to me about this is, like I said, I I'm not sure I really thought of Shakira as like having put her career on hold. But then I stopped a thought about it, and I thought, well, she kind of did. Like I mean, we all still knew who Shakira was, but she wasn't like putting out a lot of new music she wasn't touring, and that was interesting to me because I hear a lot of women say this, and actually it was something that like women, even female friends of ours, have like said to me before. And it was maybe a concern that I had, not really about putting my career on hold when we started dating, but you.
Speaker 2: Know, we've talked about this before.
Speaker 3: I was concerned, like you had such a level of fame and I had no fame, and I was worried that people would think that I was like trying to use you for fame. I was worried about how your career would like affect mine, or you know, these are questions that I had. And then actually when we were going to get married, I had a friend of ours tell me to you know, not like get lost, make sure that my career didn't get lost in yours. And I think that was really more her projecting what she felt had happened in her own life onto me. But it also, you know, I get that she was coming from a place of care because I was kind of like, well, I've never stopped working. All we've done is, you know, we're morphing into working together, and I've never felt like, you've done anything but champion me and want our next chapter to be us working together. But it was interesting that even a woman on that level of power could like have felt that pain.
Speaker 1: To me, what it kind of reminded me a little bit of the Beckham documentary.
Speaker 2: Oh Victoria and what the David Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because you know, it's kind of one of those something's got to give if you're going to and typically this involves kids, right, and so the Beckham's were kind of like that too. She's in the hospital having babies and he's, you know, on stage with Beyonce.
Speaker 2: And and Jalo posing photos.
Speaker 1: For photos and and he comes in he's like, hey, babe, do my hair, you know, for the photo out in the hause, you know that kind of stuff. And so it reminded me a lot of that documentary and they were very open about that. And if you haven't watched it, by the way, great documentary, and it sounds very similar where Shakira is like, well, we had kids. He's playing football and you know, he's in the Spanish league or he's you know, he's playing with Barcelona, so his season's on and someone's got to be there, and so it's very interesting. And you look at Taylor Swift and Travis Kelcey right now, clearly they're embracing each other's careers and supporting each other. And I feel like it's easier when you are younger, and it's easier when you don't have kids. But even for them, you know, when you look at Travis and Taylor, something's gonna have to give, or something would if you truly want to be together. She's on a world tour, his football season's coming up, he's got to go to training camp. Then he's got to go So it's very interesting and and typically, to get back to your point, when you enter into a relationship, don't you find that it's often if it's the man or the woman either way who's kind of the bigger breadwinner. It's like, okay, well, i'll support you because you're further along and you're kind of crushing it, so that'll give us a better life.
Speaker 3: There's a biology factor, right like if you're the mom, you probably you have to have the baby and go on at journey, leave and breastfeed and all the maybe and all these things you know or I don't know. What's interesting In the case of athletes, like you were just talking about. I wonder for Shakira and Gerard if there was a discussion of like, he probably only has so many years he can play soccer, right, so if he doesn't do his job now, he'll have to stop doing his job.
Speaker 1: Which, by the way, good athletic point. You're very much right. But you know, and I noticed this, and again I this is not against athletes, but it's tough for these guys to walk away. You see it with boxers that come back for too many you know, boxing matches, and you know, we saw it with Muhammad Ali it's like stop coming back, and Michael Jordan returning it's like, no, don't come back, you know, ind on top. And we saw it with Beckham in that documentary of like finally you know, she's like, great, it's my time, and he's like, well, I'm going to go back and sign one more season with a team that you know, all of a sudden, they'm moving from La oh, we're going back to France. And and you know, we have friends who are professional coaches, and these coaches are finally done and then they get pulled back in regarding what we'll call normal folks like us. It is something I think every couple has to deal with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, and I totally like by the way, I mean a professional athlete and a pop singer, these are two career driven people. Like I say this with no critique, you have to have a certain level of ego to like get to that level of fame, of belief in yourself of identity. And that's the thing is our jobs are very much your identity, right, especially if you're someone who's pasionate about your career. But I think in America we put a lot into like what are you going to be when you grow up? And so your job is really part of your identity and that becomes why it's hard for people to walk away or why when you're doing the toughest job in the world, being a stay at home parent, maybe you feel like, what is my identity? And I hear that from so many women that like you lose it and there's this big shift when your kids leave the house or go off to college because you're almost like retiring from your job a little bit right or semi retiring.
Speaker 2: It's never over.
Speaker 1: But I'd say it's one of the leading causes of divorce in America. For sure is that come to Jesus moment when kids are gone, or even not even when they're gone. Sometimes it's just when they get to high school and they're driving and you kind of realize you're not needed that much anymore and you have defined yourself by being the stay at home mom, stay at home dad, or whatever it is, and now you have to come to that realization of oh gosh, I now have to figure my life out, and you look around you're like, is this what I really want? So that is a huge, huge part in a lot of marriages that sometimes does lead to divorce.
Speaker 3: So I think it's such a beautiful thing again to be a stay at home parent like my mom being there for us as much as she was was incredible. I'm so lucky. We were so blessed that we got to have that. But at the same time, I really had a moment of learning when my dad died because my mom was a lawyer.
Speaker 2: I mean, my mom.
Speaker 3: Had, you know, it is incredibly smart, had put her career on hold, just like Shakira saying, to raise us. And when my dad died, she had really advised and helped support my dad in his business a lot. But suddenly she needed to find a job and she had nothing on her resume for the last over a decade, and so it was really hard. And I just watched her go through that and watched it kind of hurt her self esteem, and it made me realize that if you can, if you're able to, I do think I think it's really important for both partners in the relationship to try to have something there, just a little something they're doing outside of parenting, whether it's like you're involved in organizations or you're and I mean, I can't imagine how hard it is in time consuming it is to raise kids. But I just would advise that, like you know, like I said, for my mom, it was just to she had to go get a job and it became very hard. And so I've always admired when couples have made room for each other to try to have a little something, because I also think that's better for the relationship.
Speaker 1: Well, when something defines you, no matter what it is that in this case it's parenting, When something defines you wholly, when that's gone, you have to redefine yourself and find a new definition. And that is a very difficult leap to take. And it takes some understanding, some grace and a lot of communication, or it can go south in a hurry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think it's something we all have to have, like a lot of empathy for of you know, a lot of I feel like our friends right now are going through that the kids are going to college thing, and it is it's like, look, you have to this is a change, this is a thing you have to navigate because it's a huge shift in how your life's been for And I.
Speaker 1: Would recommend if whoever the partner is that is at work and has been working, and you've had the you've had your definition of your business going, just make sure that you pay attention to what's at home and what that person's going through. Because it's really easy when you're the one that's been working, you're the breadwinner, you've been doing all this, you get kind of defensive on your own like, well, I've been the one making all the money, I've been paying the bills and not. Yeah you don't think I'm stressed. Yes you are, and good on you for doing all that for your family. But also just make sure you pay attention to the partner that has been defined by something else. And that definition is gone. Help them pay attention to that, help them redefine and find what they're passionate about.
Speaker 3: Last headline we're getting to today, So Jenna bush Hager has talked about what it's like when other women flirt with her husband.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is such an interesting headline to me, because first of all, I was kind of thinking, like, how often does this happening?
Speaker 1: Well, someone called in and they brought it up on the Today Show with her and Hoe to copy, and this woman was asking for advice. And there are two schools of thought on this, but you know, Jenna was saying she doesn't mind when.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she said it on her quote.
Speaker 3: This might be weird, but sometimes I like it when people flirt with Henry. I'm just like a baby girl. Still got it.
Speaker 2: And she said it's because I am very secure in our relationship. I guess she is. I got to be honest. When I read this, my first reaction was, I don't think.
Speaker 3: I don't think I would like it if other women were flirting with you.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't like I mean, other men flirt with you all the time, and when I see it, they do, well, people flirt with you, of course they do. It doesn't bother me, Like, I don't get angry, but there was something in this that that's different if it's when we're out and about if someone's flirting with you and it's someone we don't know and it's random whatever, because you look beautiful or you're funny, whatever it is. But in this particular case, if it's the same person, Oh, the same friend keeps sitting on my husband, the same friend keeps sitting on my wife, that gets weird. And so if it's the same person doing this all the time and always like says that inappropriate thing or pushes it, that gets weird. But if it's just sure, but if it's random, like, yeah, that just that's going to happen.
Speaker 3: Oh int Okay, So maybe you and I have different Like if I saw a random woman flirting with you, I guess i'd be I'm I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think it's I wouldn't love that. I think it's all in how you handle it. You know, it's all in how you know.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to say something to you. It's not like you did anything wrong, but well it is. I wouldn't be like, oh I like that, it makes me feel good.
Speaker 1: Well, it's how how does how does your spouse lean into it? Or how do they deflect it or how to they kind of.
Speaker 3: But Jenna's saying that she likes it because it makes her feel like, oh she's got like yeah, and I don't have that reaction. I'd be interested. Can anybody please shoot me a DM. I'd love to talk this through, like with another woman and see. Okay, well, let me ask if you see a random guy flirting with me, does that make you feel good?
Speaker 1: No? No, no, it definitely that. I don't get what Jenna is saying. It's not like, oh, yeah, I got a hot wife, like I think you're beautiful. I don't need someone else to tell me you're right and so thank you. That's not something I get pleasure out of.
Speaker 2: That's kind of I certainly don't mind when but.
Speaker 1: It doesn't bother me to the point where i'd be like get in the car and like.
Speaker 2: Well, right, of course, how did you do?
Speaker 3: It's also kind of like maybe your definition of what flirting is like when you just said other men flirt with you all the time. I don't think about that, but some people have different definitions of like to me, talking and laughing isn't flirting. But some people, I don't know, what's your definition of flirting?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's But like, look, we go to these events and you'll be out on the dance floor because you are the life of the party and you'll have everybody dancing with you.
Speaker 2: Well, you got to get the party gone exactly.
Speaker 1: But is that you know what? I just I do look at that with admiration and it's like, that's my girl, you know, And I do take pleasure and just I see you.
Speaker 3: I certainly love that you're a social person who can chat with anyone. I love seeing you like command a room and have people talk to you. Yeah, I just think I differ from Jenna on this. I'm not gonna love watching it. And two, I agree with you of someone if that same person is like always, I call it testing the waters. Like you can kind of tell when somebody's like, you know me, seeing how far they can take it with you and I all love that.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess we're both super jealous people.
Speaker 1: Then we deserve each other.
Speaker 2: That's perfect. I love you.
Speaker 3: I'm glad that we always try to find that balance of supporting each other's careers while making sure that the other person has family time and gets that time in. And we didn't even really talk about our spring break enough. We should have chatted about it more. It was great, but I'm also glad that no alleged deep fake AI videos came out of us on spring Chat and.
Speaker 1: We will keep our eyes out looking for Kate at the local markets. Thanks for joining us. We always enjoy chatting with you. We'll do it again next time because we have a lot more to talk about. Thanks for listening. Follow us on Instagram at the most dramatic pod ever, and make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars.
Speaker 2: I'll talk to you next time.