Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From the most trusted journalists At Comedy Central, It's America's only source for news.
Speaker 3: This is the Daily Joke with your hosts.
Speaker 4: Roddy, Hello, welcome, good ready, shar I'm my Chang.
Speaker 5: We got so much to talk about tonight, so let's get right into the controversy that's still rocking Trump's cabinet. In another installment of the Worst Wing, What a bunch of losers, None of that was Ai bye. Now we all know that all Trump's meritocracy brain geniuses planned an attack on yehmen in a signal group chat and accidentally invited a journalist, Jeffrey Goldberg. And this story might have ended on day one if the administration had just owned it and made some bullshit statement like Sorrey, we're taking account of valet hashtag listening and learning and blah dah blah blah blah blah. But they just can't help themselves because whenever they're in trouble, their default response is to punch their way out of it, which only makes things worse. So now we're still talking about this three days later, instead of what I wanted to cover tonight, which was twenty three and meter going bankrupt and what they're gonna do with all your DNA one word face off? Okay, Okay, that's two words with us slash and we can't decide to fact. Look, it doesn't matter, right. The point is they're gonna put your face on someone else, and the White House wants to move on. Uh, they've got to come clean and stop stepping on their own dicks. Okay, So let's start with something easy for National Security Advisor to Mike Waltz. How did the reporter get invited into the group chat?
Speaker 6: I don't mean to be a pedantic here, but how did the number?
Speaker 7: Have you ever had? Have you ever had somebody's contact that shows their name and then you have an and then you have somebody else's.
Speaker 3: That was a mistake, right, You've.
Speaker 7: Got somebody else's number on someone else's contact.
Speaker 3: So of course I.
Speaker 7: Didn't see this loser in the group.
Speaker 3: It looked like someone else.
Speaker 7: I mean, I'm sure everybody out there has had a contact where you it was said one person and then a different phone number.
Speaker 5: No, no one's no one's ever had, No one's ever had that. All right, people don't have a contact with a phone number for like a different person unless they're having an affair.
Speaker 8: So I.
Speaker 5: Guess I'm saying, I think this guy is having an affair with Jeffrey Goldberg. And look, even if that was an actual, somewhat relatable mistake, maybe try not making that mistake when you're planning a war. And why are you shitting on Jeffrey Goldberg is a loser. This guy sucks. It's dishonest. He didn't do anything. All he did was wake up in the morning, and you added him to your group chat, You like abducted him and forced him to see your secrets. But okay, the bigger issue is what was shared in the group chat. Jeffrey Goldberg says there were war plans that were so sensitive he didn't even put them in his article. But Pete Hegseth spent the last two days saying he's lying.
Speaker 3: Nobody was texting war plans.
Speaker 8: Nobody's texting more plans.
Speaker 5: Nobody's texting more plans. Okay, great, clemby more clear. Nobody what's texting wall plans? You hear me, nobody what's texting war plans? Nobody what's texting?
Speaker 9: And we begin with the breaking news The Atlantic Magazines editor in chief Jeffrey Goldberg is releasing the messages from the Yemens Strike Plans group chat, and the screenshots show discussions of weapons and specific.
Speaker 3: Timing of US military strikes.
Speaker 10: Eleven forty four am easter at that time weather is favorable. Just confirmed with Syncom we are a go for mission launch twelve to fifteen Eastern F eighteen's launch declaring this first strike package thirteen forty five trigger based F eighteen first strike windows starts target terrorists is at his known location, so should be on time. Fourteen fifteen strike drones on target.
Speaker 8: This is all caps.
Speaker 10: This is when the first bombs will definitely drop.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 5: Look, just because you write in all calves this is when the first bombs will definitely drop, doesn't mean the war plans. Okay, this is Peter hag Seth. Maybe he was talking about Yeager bombs. But if you, well, if you, if you're asking me, that looks a lot like a plan for the war. It had military time and everything. Okay, it had more details than you get from door Dash and those guys tell you everything. All right, A fifty six, we have received your order. A fifty nine we are preparing your food. Nine oh six. We accidentally dropped your food nine oh seven. Actually, don't worry about it, wing away. So I think it's a war plan. But what the hell do I know? I've never seen one before, because no one's ever been dumb enough to put one in a group chat with a journalist. But maybe maybe it's a maybe this is a good thing. Okay, the receipts are out, so we can call a spade a spade and admit that these are indeed very specific warplans. I don't think it's specific enough to be considered war plans.
Speaker 6: It doesn't tell you, hey, we're gonna hit this particular village, this particular city, this particular target is a particular individual.
Speaker 2: They were talking about when not specific longitude, latitude and all that other stuff.
Speaker 5: Oh man, Janine must be a nightmare to make plans with. Hey, you said me that chili's at seven, But where's the fucking longitude? Like, stop pretending you need some oboritrary detail to make it a war plan. Okay, it's like saying this wasn't an orgy. We didn't have the pink feathers and the eyes, white shut masks. Well, there are more than three decks, then it was an orgy. Okay, everything else is semantics. You know what you tell me. If having a detailed schedule plan of attack is not a war plan, then what is it?
Speaker 3: Do you think these are war plans?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 7: This is you know, it's a it's an outline of what is about to happen.
Speaker 3: There were no war plans in any of this stuff.
Speaker 1: There's a conversation.
Speaker 5: This was a private conversation.
Speaker 11: I would characterize this messaging thread as a policy discussion, a sensitive policy discussion.
Speaker 3: Surely, what is.
Speaker 5: A war plan?
Speaker 4: Whoa?
Speaker 5: What is war?
Speaker 10: Man?
Speaker 1: It's just raw spelled backwards.
Speaker 5: I think it was Shakespeare that said, what is in a plan? That which we call a war by any other name? Would accidentally get texted to? Jeffrey Goldberg well more in this stupid argument, we go live to the Pentagon, which senior war correspondent Michael Costa Michael, Michael, Hey, am I crazy? Or are these very clearly warplans?
Speaker 1: You're crazy, Ronnie?
Speaker 6: You know, be a civilian reporter like yourself, spills his cortado all over his little ug boots reading these texts. But the grizzled veterans that the Trump administration know that these are not war plans. I mean, would it be a war plan if I said, Carrier Strike Group two will engage fourteen targets in Northeast Syria at O nine hundred tomorrow. Sent Coom says, go, I repeat, Scentcom says, go over.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that sounds like a wool plan.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because you're a civilian, you know, peeing through his full raven jacket all over his Lululemon Yoga Matt. But it's not a war plan because I didn't say something specific, like what type of plane they're using.
Speaker 1: You have no idea that it's an F eighteen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you just said that as an faighteen. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, F eighteen could mean anything.
Speaker 6: It could could be a bingo number or a parking spot. F eighteen could be pete Hegseth's search on a dating app.
Speaker 5: You don't know, okay, but fateen is clearly a plane.
Speaker 1: Oh you're an expert.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 6: The only military figure you know anything about is general So by the way, by the way, by the way, that's a burn about you being a civilian not an Asian.
Speaker 5: Okay, then why don't you enlighten me of your military genius. If that's not war planning, then.
Speaker 1: What is it's it's war manifesting.
Speaker 6: You know, hag Seth was asking the universe to drop a Tomahawk missile and it happened.
Speaker 1: How much you ever read the Secret you.
Speaker 6: Know, the book, not the State Secrets he text, Jeffrey Goldberg.
Speaker 5: You really want me to believe this was war manifesting?
Speaker 6: Of course it was manifesting, no different than making a vision board.
Speaker 1: It kind of like this one, you know.
Speaker 5: Look, look, holy shit, is that a war plan for Canada?
Speaker 6: There you go again with that phrase war plan.
Speaker 1: It's not a war plan. It's an operational scribbling.
Speaker 5: Although war plan has like arrows and airplanes and like weapons and no cross has and the times. It's clearly a plan name big Canada.
Speaker 6: Look, but we don't know which Canada, you know, And none of these arrows are even labeled, so we don't know where we will be attacking, which is why the people of Winnipeg and bamps here and here will never see this coming on Saturday at noon, it's.
Speaker 1: Going to be sweet.
Speaker 5: Okay, where did you even get that war map?
Speaker 1: The DoD accidentally mail?
Speaker 6: It's in my house Mike Waltz has my address in his contacts.
Speaker 1: It's not a big deal. He's having an affair with my wife.
Speaker 5: Okay, great job. I guess Michael costs everyone.
Speaker 11: When we come back, we find out Chris di Stefano can solvate, So don't go away.
Speaker 5: Welcome back in the Daily Show. America has a ton of problems right now, and no one knows who can solve them, but Chris DeStefano will give it a try and on you segment, can Chris solve it?
Speaker 2: Hey, guys, I'm Chris Desifanu, as Ronnie said, aka Chrissy the American, And if you're like me, you love having opinions on things that you don't know anything about. Like, for example, there's no way childbirth is not bad, right, I mean, we have tailand aw.
Speaker 5: It's easy, Ronnie.
Speaker 2: So today we're going to go through some of the world's biggest problems to find out if Chrissy can solve them.
Speaker 5: Hit me.
Speaker 7: Market script by anxiety about an all out terraff for.
Speaker 3: Tariffs.
Speaker 2: I have to be honest, I have no idea what a tariff is. I really don't, and don't pretend you do either. Babes and unless you went to like Hofser University, one of the fancy ones, but I couldn't get in. When I first saw the word tariff, I thought it was a Dune character. I was like, yes, tarif will lead to sandpeople to freedom.
Speaker 3: I'm in.
Speaker 2: But listen, apparently that's not what tarifs are. It's yeah, it's a tax on imports, and that sounds bad because America imports everything. I'm pretty sure the only thing America makes are the Real Housewives, and those ladies are fifty percent plastics, so I don't even know if that counts.
Speaker 3: I mean, where does plastic come from?
Speaker 2: I honestly don't know, but it feels Chinese.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 2: If they're gonna have a war, a trade war is probably better than like a war.
Speaker 3: War, you know what I mean, like with guys and women.
Speaker 2: Obviously you know they kill each other too, Ladies. My gramps was in a war war. He was crawling through the mud dodging bullets in Okinawa. Now I'm just paying eighty cents more for WAK. But hey, we're still both here us. I'm gonna go ahead and call this one solved.
Speaker 6: Next topic, the battle over President Trump's actions to secure the border and combat illegal immigration.
Speaker 3: Immigration.
Speaker 2: Everyone, buckle up, everyone, please stop saying there are two sides to this issue.
Speaker 3: We have to have a country with laws.
Speaker 2: The border should at least be as secure as the deodorant at CBS. If you want to get in, you have to hit a button and wait for ice to come unlock the wall. But listen, that being said, we also have to celebrate legal immigrants.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 2: Even though I look like the fire chief of ron Konkama, my wife and kids are Puerto Rican Olah. So yeah, so I know how it feels when people hate on the Latino community.
Speaker 3: What's up, dad?
Speaker 2: Look, the reality is this, immigrants can make our country better. For instance, our soccer team has never won a single World Cup.
Speaker 3: It's embarrassing.
Speaker 2: How about free green cars to anyone who can make a penalty kick? Right, it's a good idea.
Speaker 1: What I thought.
Speaker 2: I mean, let's get it done. Vama nostros or whatever. It's hard for me to learn Spanish. That's for my wife and kids who talk shit about me. I mean crap, sorry, mommy. At as you can see, I actually know what I'm talking about on this subject, because, like I said, I not only have a Puerto Rican family, but I'm also from Queens, the most diverse community in America.
Speaker 3: And yeah, right fella, and look, hey, look how I turned out. I'm only kind of racist.
Speaker 2: So what I'm saying is this country should welcome everyone who wants to meaningfully contribute to American society except Dominicans.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I said, I'm Puerto Rico poppy, and apparently there's bad blood. But I don't speak Spanish and my kids will teach me, so either way, this one's soft. All right, Yeah, here we go. No, seriously, that was I was nervous on that one. That was a controversial subject. So I want to get to something a little lighter, so hippie, all right, Can I spin again?
Speaker 3: Can I spin again?
Speaker 2: Because I just I don't want to say anything. Yeah, can we just get rid of the trans writes on the board? Not on the board, Jesus Christ, don't.
Speaker 10: Clip that drama surrounding Elon Musk and his Department of Government Efficiency.
Speaker 8: Doge, who I was.
Speaker 2: Close, wiggled out, Okay, Doge, please do not tell me you're against the government running more efficiently. I mean, anyone who says that doesn't remember the DMV before they installed the bakery number system.
Speaker 5: I mean remember that.
Speaker 3: It's still too slow though.
Speaker 2: I mean by the time I get to the window, I forget why I'm even there. I'm like, yeah, let me get a half a pound of mortadella.
Speaker 3: I mean sorry, I have a DUI.
Speaker 2: That said some of these cuts might be going too deep. I mean, they just listed Guantanamo Bay on Airbnb, and hey, if you've ever stayed at an Airbnb, it could be worse.
Speaker 5: My solution.
Speaker 2: Let them do their cuts, but I get to bring a baseball bat on a plane if you're at defunding air marshals.
Speaker 8: I'm not going down without a fight.
Speaker 3: Now give me that seat, give me that aisle seat. I'd pee a lot. Christy the prostate, all right, solved it.
Speaker 9: Moving on, President Trump is doubling down on claims that controlling Greenland maybe in America's future.
Speaker 2: Okay, so Canada isn't the only cold, pasty country Trump wants. He's also after Greenland.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: People are really mad about this for some reason. And I gotta be honest with you, I've never even met a single person that's been to Greenland, let alone anyone from Greenland. And like I said, I'm from Queens. We got everybody there. One time I had to break up a fight between a Hari Krishna and a meter made from Tajikistan.
Speaker 3: I was like, you guys both wear robes. Just be friends.
Speaker 2: True. Now, Also, this is crazy. Did you know there's only fifty thousand people in Greenland? I have fifty thousand people on my block, not for nothing. You guys are also being kind of greedy with that land. It's six hundred million acres. That's got to be at least four home depots. What are they doing in Greenland? I mean, is that where they make the plastic?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: And if you're a liberal and you hate this, maybe you shouldn't have spent so much time telling Trump to go green. This is what he thought you meant so and it's true. And I gotta be honest, that's what I thought you meant too. I'm an idiot. We cannot please these people, so I'm just gonna mark this one not sold all right, Yeah, can't win them all.
Speaker 3: Well that's it for me.
Speaker 2: I hope you didn't learn anything today, because if you did, that means you're even dumber than me. And I got bad news for you. You're definitely getting rejected from Hofstra.
Speaker 3: So I'm christ Stephano and I hope I saw that one for you.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Thank you, Chris. When we come back, Jeeve cool it will be joining you on the show. If you don't go, well, it's just awful. Welcome back to the Daily Show. My guest tonight is a legendary comedian an actor whose new film is called The Penguin Lessons. Please welcome the one and only legendary mister Steve Coogan.
Speaker 3: Ovation Fading Ovation.
Speaker 5: In New York.
Speaker 8: I know that's unusual.
Speaker 5: No, we reserve it for legends, your legend. It's so great to finally meet you. I've been following you for a long time, huge fan of yours.
Speaker 8: You made me feel old keeper.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean because I kind of we kind You started in live performing, and I also started in live performing, and we went to Edinburgh. You went to Edinburgh in nineteen ninety you did a show with mister Frank Skinner, and then you went back in nineteen ninety two you did a show with mister John Thompson and a second At the same time, you're doing the show with Richard Herring. And was it Aarmando Nucci.
Speaker 8: I'm chie Patrick Stewart Lee was on that.
Speaker 5: And then you won the Perrier, which is the best show at Edinburgh. For the show with John Thompson. And I went to Edinburgh, I won nothing and I.
Speaker 8: Think I hated it.
Speaker 12: Yeah, so yeah, I hated it too. The first time I went with Frank Skinner, this British comedian, and the reviews, the reviews were great for him and for me they were terrible. And the newspaper they're in. He hid under the sofa so I wouldn't find it, but I did.
Speaker 5: But then you came back with vengeance in the end.
Speaker 8: I won.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, But I guess, yeah, I know Edinburgh. I say all of that to be like, first of all, I've been to Edinburgh. It's the biggest live performing festival. But I guess you being a household name comedy legend, very established in the UK, but you still stick with live performing, never let that go. And I guess I'm wondering for myself, Like you know, I like to I like to think I've been able to do it too.
Speaker 8: But I think it's good.
Speaker 12: I mean, I have a recurrent dream where I'm about to go on stage with no material and I wake up in a cold sweat.
Speaker 8: But but you know, I.
Speaker 5: Think, why why do you stick? Why do you what makes you think? Like?
Speaker 12: I think it's important to you know when you when you write comedy and you do comedy on TV, you know, you there's so many layers between you and the audience. You don't see them laughing. You do, I mean you do because they're over there and you're the guys are here again. But a lot of time these guys for.
Speaker 8: That's what those guys with the whips are.
Speaker 12: So I think it's important to to to to get rid of all the filters because you can sort of you can.
Speaker 8: You don't want to be in an ivory tower. You got to be connected with.
Speaker 12: Your audience and make sure they're still laughing and see the whites of their eyes and all that stuff.
Speaker 5: Right, As a live performer, you use it to stay connected to the crown. Is there any element of it where you feel like just as career diversification and just from a pure money point of view in terms of like, oh that stuff people can take away from your TV film, but live performing, it's always it's.
Speaker 12: True if you if people want to come and see that, they'll come and see you, and there's no and you you got. You're in total control, you know. And also it's like it's quite gladly your toil.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 12: If if it's successful, you get all the credit, but if it fails, it's all your fault.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And and you do, like I mean, you kept again you got. I don't know if I should tell people this. You have like all the money in the world. You don't need to do anything anymore.
Speaker 8: You might as rich as Elon Musk.
Speaker 5: Second, Yeah, and you you still got. And I mean you did, and only do you do the Alan Partridge live show. You did like Doctor Strange Love. Recently I did.
Speaker 8: The Stanley Kuber movie. We did it on stage.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I played Pizza Salas did this famous and anyone over fifty and the artists might know this movie?
Speaker 8: Yes, Wow, okay, I'm surprised too.
Speaker 5: Where did you guys come from?
Speaker 12: So this He did this movie about nuclear war, a comedy, a black comedy about nuclear war, and Pieter Sellers played three roles in it. And I did a live stage version and I did four roles because I wanted to do better than Pizza Sellers I just wanted to beat a dead man, so.
Speaker 5: That no, but which is great because four roles and you are like losing you I saw you doing press for it, and you are like losing your voice from it.
Speaker 12: Your do It's like when you when you're doing four roles on stage, you're on and up so fast. When you go off stage, they pull all the clothes off you, not in a good way, and then put it all back on you, and it's like a Formula one pit stuff because you're just going back by by by back, and you're back on stage and I did one hundred and forty shows and I'm done.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but again again, all the money in the world, why did you do that?
Speaker 12: I think maybe I'm a Catholic, and because I'm a Catholic, I like to sort of punish myself and do penance.
Speaker 8: What they call penance, it's lent.
Speaker 5: So you know that was a doing Doctor Treet's love was your len?
Speaker 12: I think if you, I think somehow like if hard work is good and if if if life gets too easy, you get too lazy, it's good to kind of make to scare yourself.
Speaker 5: Right, And I guess that goes back to what was saying about you being this legendary comedic figure in the UK Alan Partridge and you've done it for so long now, I mean, do you do stuff to just kick yourself in the ass, just to because you've managed to like reinvent this character you've been doing for I guess what thirty years now?
Speaker 12: Well, yeah, in the UK is an institution people over here, it's not that well known over here.
Speaker 8: The only people know him over here the cool people like Bill Hayden.
Speaker 3: Me, I know, I know you you.
Speaker 8: Gen Z or millennial don't know.
Speaker 5: I'm like why and then they call me millennial? I resent that, but I don't know.
Speaker 12: Okay, well I'm definitely I'm the last of the baby boomers start Generation X.
Speaker 5: In between there, so just to say it all of a white, middle aged guy.
Speaker 8: So I know, I'm an endangered species.
Speaker 5: Not as in danger as you think. Right, they're doing pretty well, right, having a resurgence. That's true, they were, they were endangered for a while. We brought them back from but I'm sorry about But the point is that Allan Patres is a I like to call you mom famous in the UK. Everybody no mom's know you know how famous you have to be to be mom famous, It's very difficult. And so you're that level in the UK, and so like, is that like why you.
Speaker 8: I'm kind of part of the furniture in.
Speaker 5: The UK institution.
Speaker 12: Over here, I'm still kind of I'm still a bit because no one knows who I am.
Speaker 8: I'm a little underground. So I'm still quite cool and edgy. I come here to I come here to feel cool. I go back. That's around a living.
Speaker 5: But yeah, but I mean that also is relevant for me too, because I really had to ask myself this, not only coming to America, but staying here in American show business. Why do you come to America?
Speaker 12: Why are you I don't It's not like I want to come to America to live the American dream. I come here because I get to work with interesting people and uh fortunately because the people I admire have had chance to work with them in the past, people Owen Wilson and Stiller and uh and and you know, so I go and work with people I respect, people who want to do you know, I want to entertain people, and but I want to have some substance to it too, you know. I like to I like to make people laugh. I like to punch up, not punch down like your president.
Speaker 5: So but yes, that's right, our president. We are applauding the president right now.
Speaker 8: Okay, uh yeah.
Speaker 5: And you so you do come to America to kind of ask you to be and challenge yourself.
Speaker 12: And I just I go where the where the where the interesting people are?
Speaker 8: You know. I mean, I'm lucky enough.
Speaker 12: In my career that I can work with people I like and respect. That's why I'm here with you.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, thank you. I really appreciate it. That's very nice. So so that's that's so, that's what I do.
Speaker 12: And I I'm over here right now promoting this new movie, Penguin Lessons.
Speaker 8: Yes, so, and I know there's a good audience here.
Speaker 12: I'm not in some ways in the UK because I had this famous character. I'm kind of pigeonholed over here. I did some odd odd movies that kind of have followed a movie called Hamlet too that has some kind of cult following over the know.
Speaker 5: You did everything you ain't everything you did around the world in any days, Jackie Chang, you did you did? Oh my god, I'm your premium on spot. You were in Tropic Thunder the other guys and other guys. Yeah, I'm Gid Flip Phillow. Philomena, Filomena was, Philamina was nominator.
Speaker 8: I got Yeah, I got an Oscar nomination. Yeah that's nice. I'm nice to win, but you know it didn't happen.
Speaker 5: But so you did a bunch. I mean you talk about this a lot in America about how you were doing You were kind of doing Alan Padridge, household name, and then you came to America and you were doing kind of not bit roles in American movies, but kind of smaller profile.
Speaker 12: Well, you know, pay me my air fare and put me in a nice hotel. And I mean I did like two days on The Joker and that was great because and.
Speaker 5: So I guess by asking for myself here is like it seems like you because I'm trying to build that. That's kind of what that's kind of where I'm going myself. I'm like, you know, I'm doing twenty on the call. She grateful to do the role, have fun. But but you talk about doing these roles in America finding them a little bit unsatisfying, and that's what inspired you to write Well, I.
Speaker 12: Was, yeah, I mean I was doing a film called The Other Guys and Matt pharo very funny.
Speaker 3: Guys with Adam McKay.
Speaker 12: Adam Adam McKay, who is a is a great director, and I was I enjoyed it a lot, but you know, it was kind of like I like to be on the driving seat, and I wonder I was doing that. That's why I've discovered the story of this Irish woman whose child had been taken from her and sold to an American couple back in the nineteen fifties, and that was it.
Speaker 8: So I pursued that as a writer, which was drama.
Speaker 12: And before that I'd just done comedy and I didn't know if it work out, but wound up at the Oscars. So I thought, okay, well I'll do some more of this stuff. It seems to be it seems people seem to.
Speaker 5: Like it, right, But is that the strategy? I mean, would you so you would you say you need to do these kind of small roles in America to build enough politically.
Speaker 8: I just have it all.
Speaker 12: I have a career in the UK and I like to do a bit of comedy, a bit of a bit of drama, you know, like sometimes you don't get too serious because you can banish up your own ass. So it's important to have a laugh and just remember it's just that, don't don't get too full of yourself. So I like to do the bit of Yin Yang, you know, so make people laugh, make them cry, make them cry too much, they're not going to want to see you anymore.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you have forgot no, but you definitely played that Ying Yang almost burn anyone ever seen, because you got the comedy bona fides like legend comedy characters, and then you do dramatic roles, not just fil them. You know that you do like Jimmy Savil, you know which is more probably the.
Speaker 8: Well, yeah, I played a second offender as he was.
Speaker 12: I know it's a terrible thing, but you know it's it was a terrible story actually in the UK. But the worst thing about it was when I said I'm playing Jimmy Savil, the sex offender, people actually said you'd be perfect for that.
Speaker 8: Wait, wait a second.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you managed to do Ying Yang just I don't anyway, Just you know, heads off to you and every project you do, you know you you're talking about it with the other legend, Irish legend, Tommy turning on his show, you said you're looking for projects that are funny but have hot in it, And I feel like you've definitely been going that way. I mean, you did this move in twent nineteenth fort Greed, which was about a fashion mole goal and kind of there were political overtones in that about about kind of the wage gap.
Speaker 12: And yeah, I mean the thing is you makee people laughing about people think at the same time, and there's there's ways to do that. Also, I think, you know, a lot of comedy is about some some comedy can be about cruelty. I think it's always important to you. You can be smart and tough and you can be kind at the same time. You don't have to be a dick.
Speaker 5: I got it, write that down, Yeah, do do, I'll email it to you later. I didn't know you could do it with being a dick. I've been approaching this all wrong. Yeah, but you so, I mean, just going back to the politics. So my point is that you kind of try to do things that have not just be funny, but have a message.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Well, I think Look, it's like anything, when you have an argument with someone, you can bang heads and if you have a different point of view you can, you cannot end up resolving anything.
Speaker 8: And also, if you have those.
Speaker 12: Facts of statistics, they get twisted and people can present their alternative facts and all that stuff. But if you tell a story you make someone laugh, then you kind of show you people relax a little and you can talk about serious stuff as you do on this show in a funny way. Then people relax about it, and it takes the edge of it, and it stops people being scared. You know, we're living in scary times, and if you can laugh, you have that that gallows humor, then we can all get through it together.
Speaker 5: I think, right, right right.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 3: I got.
Speaker 5: I have to expertly pivot to what you're promoting. All your publics is going to kill me. So no, but really I mean this, I I did have a plan, and this is where I wanted to get with all this is that you talk about political activism. So your latest movie is Penguin Lessons, Like, what is it about? And do you MND just saying what I mean?
Speaker 12: It's ostensibly look at it was film about it's a cute from about Penguin. I'm not really interested in doing a cute from about Penguin.
Speaker 5: I just think I told the penguin there.
Speaker 8: I didn't. I didn't.
Speaker 5: I told his agent there is a lie penguin in this thing.
Speaker 8: There's not. There's a few penguins in it.
Speaker 12: But to me, my buddy Buddy was writing at uh, Jeff Pope, who I've written a bunch of films before with, and he said, Hey, I might the film about penguin.
Speaker 8: Do you want to be in it? And I said no.
Speaker 12: I said, well, hang on, if I make the guy someone who doesn't like penguins and doesn't like animals and doesn't like children, doesn't really like people, then that gives them.
Speaker 8: Somewhere to go.
Speaker 12: And the penguin acts as a catalyst and set against the fascist regime, the military dictatorship that exists in Argentina from the late nineteen seventies. So there's a kind of dark, brooding backdrop to it, and.
Speaker 5: You need parallels to modern times.
Speaker 12: Well, I figured out everyone loves the penguins because they're cuddly, and fascism is very popular at the moment, so it's something for everybody.
Speaker 5: Right, fascism but Disney Disney fight.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's like fascism meets Disney.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Which is Disney, which is this? Yeah, I had to I had to quickly calculation to see if our parent company was Disney. But it's not. It's our paramount'll find. Okay, So I think I did a show with anyway, the one they don't watch YouTube, So yeah, but I did. This is kind of just for me now because did you when when you Again, By the way.
Speaker 12: I just want to say about the penguins, because I'm not worried. No penguins were harmed in the making of this film, and we had a we had a We have a robot penguin the film as well as real ones, so if we asked the permits, we didn't ask the penguins to do anything difficult.
Speaker 5: There there's one scene where you throw the penguin back into the ocean.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's that's like that was that's there's a there's a fake one that I throw and then and then we cut it together.
Speaker 5: You guys say that for legal reasons.
Speaker 12: Yeah no, and also I've never thrown a penguin in my life, but I get canceled for throwing penguins.
Speaker 5: It's in the movie.
Speaker 8: It's in the movie. It's trickery.
Speaker 5: Okay, magic The Magic Movie is not real penguin, but we had.
Speaker 12: A robot penguin and we had a puppet penguin. Someone had their their hand of a fake penguin, so to speak, and uh and so so yeah, we sort of mixed the two together.
Speaker 5: And I just yeah, and when you're doing these scenes. I was watching it, and it's like, it's it's comedic, it's not. I wouldn't say you did. You're not obviously not doing a sketch when you're in this movie. So is it difficult to kind of like to dial it to where it's you know what I mean, where you're not doing a sketch.
Speaker 12: No, No, it's funny. It's not silly, it's not dumb funny. It's I play a guy who doesn't really like penguins and minds up adopting one by mistake and and ends up teaching these kids at school with it.
Speaker 5: And it's very touching and it's not goofy, it's not play goofy.
Speaker 12: And there's and like I said, there's there's a there's a little bit of fascism in that, because you know, we haven't we need more of that. Yeah, a little bit sprinkled in there, Yeah, a little sprinkling of fashion.
Speaker 5: Yeah. And I just feel like you're you're like this beloved character in the UK, both Steve Coogan and Alan Partridge. I think you you appeal your character Alan Partridge appeals to people on the left and the right in the UK.
Speaker 8: I would say that's true, that's true.
Speaker 5: And you're Steve Coogan yourself. You're very politically active. You're you're you're out there, you're campaigning. Yeah, publicly, I pick.
Speaker 8: I pick and choose my fights.
Speaker 12: If you if you bang on about what you think about stuff, after a while, people go, who cares what you think?
Speaker 10: You know?
Speaker 5: So and it's like, the way I know right now, chans all what I think. I guess That's what I asked him. I was like, why you can't answer the question now? I feel like you never use chose to use Alan Partridge as a political overt political.
Speaker 8: Thing is you have more satirical You've.
Speaker 12: Got to if you're just trying to entertain your the people who already agree with you, you're never going to change anyone's opinion.
Speaker 8: They're going to challenge them. So you have to reach out.
Speaker 12: You have to put your arms around everybody and say, look, I don't agree with you, but come over here, let's have a laugh and maybe we can learn something. And so I do I do that with that that Alan Partri's character. And you know, sometimes I slip. I try to make people laugh. And if occasionally you can slip a secret message under the door while you're doing it, then that's great. And I do do that with the parties. But if you're just preaching to the converted, what's the point.
Speaker 5: Other than making money?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I mean, and I like to do that occasionally anyway, But I could talk to you forever. But I just want to say thank you so much, mister Steve Coogan, your legend. Thank you for calling me cool. Hi.
Speaker 3: I really appreciate it.
Speaker 11: You you increase my street credit, you pay, Thanks for entertaining everybody.
Speaker 5: Thanks for coming on this show. I real appreciate You're the best man, Bigger Steve Coogan, everybody depending lessons for the Why masnier it's.
Speaker 3: Mister Steve Corgan.
Speaker 13: Well, my pairtquakes right, we'll be right back after this. That's us over tonight now here.
Speaker 9: It is your moment of Then what's your reaction to all of this and what do you think the lesson from it should be Secretary.
Speaker 5: Well, Morgan, I'm gonna I'm gonna leave all that to the legal experts.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 7: I'll say one of the few advantages of being one of the older people in the cabinets is that I still like to pick up the phone and call people.
Speaker 5: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten.
Speaker 2: Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus Paramount Podcasts.