Speaker 1: Hey, what abum, Doug Gollie, this is all ball. Well, let's get to starting college basketball discussions, right, And it's going to be a very very interesting year where you have so many players in new places that as much as we'd like to say we know who's going to be good or who's not going to be good.
Speaker 2: I mean even I've been doing this now for twenty one years, and this is, without any question, the most difficult year to predict what's going to happen because there's so many players that have transferred. And then you know, we make this assessment that, well, a kid averages fifteen a game one place, he goes to a similar level, he's going to average. We have no idea how the chemistry of that team works. You take Michigan State, for example. On paper, you bring back super talented veteran players and granted, you know you lose your shop blocker inside that's going to make you different. And you bring in an outstanding recruiting class and you think, well, they have depths and they have talent, and now they have even more shooting and ball handling and athleticism. That looks great, but how does that all come together in terms of the chemistry because we know the reality how the sport works. You're not happy now.
Speaker 1: Very early on, some guys will bail, many will be thinking about the portal instead of thinking about winning a league title. And granted is those the best. So if there's one guy that can find a way to bridge the gap between the older players and younger players, Tom Izzo's that guy. But it doesn't make it any easier. He's just really good at it. I bring that up because some teams are trying to do it differently. Pepperdine, for example, in the WCC, has tried to build organically within Now they do have Ethan Anderson, who's a two time transfer. He started at USC actually started for USC deep in the ncaachroom when they made their lead eight run and then he ends up at Wyoming last year that was a disaster. Now he transfers to Pepperdine and he'll play with a player named Houston Mallett who's tremendously talented and versatile, kind of a one two three score And even though they lost Maxwell Lewis to the NBA Draft, still a very talented team that for the most part, Lorenzo Romar has tried to build from within.
Speaker 2: How does that work right?
Speaker 1: You bring in a kid Nathan Anderson who played a ton at USC thought he was going to start him at Wyoming, doesn't work out, doesn't even last the entire season.
Speaker 2: Now he's at Pepperdine. Is he all in?
Speaker 3: Is he a fit?
Speaker 2: Can they win?
Speaker 1: Can they Can they get into the top two? Can they make it the top three in the West Coast Conference? I think these are great questions. More than anything. There's a guy who's simply enjoyable to be around, and we can we can pick apart the fact that Washington sort of started to fall apart at the end of his run. Their best basketball that they've had consistently in c was when Lorenzo Romar was the head coach. So thought you'd appreciate the fact I caught up with him at the WCC Media Day and kind of a short preview and some thoughts on how he's changed, how the games evolved, and how coaching has changed as well. Here's my conversation on all Ball with Lorenzo Romar. So, how do you like your team?
Speaker 4: I like the prospects of our team, Doug.
Speaker 3: We're finally a little bit older.
Speaker 1: Last couple of years, you keep losing guys the NBA, you keep recruiting. Y, we have it.
Speaker 4: We haven't really dipped into the transfer portal. We've kind of been going in house raising our kids, so to speak, and a couple of them left and went in the portal themselves. For the most part, we're finally at a point where it's going to pay off, I believe. And we have a fifth year senior point guard Ethan Anderson.
Speaker 3: We usually play against those guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah he played see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, finally we have one ourselves and we have a little more experience. We're still on the younger side, but much more experience.
Speaker 3: So I like that.
Speaker 1: What is that like to have to like re recruit your own kids on a yearly basis?
Speaker 3: I would say you.
Speaker 4: Re recruit them the entire year in terms of just day in and day out.
Speaker 3: Doug it.
Speaker 4: We haven't had to really talk anyone in the staying. There were two that left and they just left right. We didn't try to talk him into it. If they want to leave, they want to leave. But the other is a guy like Houston Malet, who's, you know, all conference caliber player. This is going in his third year and he hadn't had much success as a team, but he's still with us. Javon Porter, who's an NBA guy, he's back for another year. Malik Moore, who's gone, you're going to see me will make a big jump from last year to this year.
Speaker 3: He's back. So our guys have been pretty loyal.
Speaker 4: We haven't really had to sit down with them and say, look, please stay.
Speaker 6: The league, which it used to be like three tiers, right, and it used to be I felt like Gonzaga, Saint Mary's then kind of like BUYU and maybe San Francisco for a couple of years, and then the bottom now feels like there's two, but everyone.
Speaker 1: Outside of same arias Gonzaga is a lot closer.
Speaker 3: Is that Is that fair? I said, that's totally accurate.
Speaker 4: I think you have to look at the work that Gonzaga obviously has done, but then Saint Mary's as well. There there are national level team in terms of who they can compete against year in and year out, but then the rest I think have have closed the gap. And in this conference, I think everyone's capable of beating anyone and it has happened before, so it's it's very competitive and that's what you want in your conference?
Speaker 3: For you?
Speaker 5: Is it still fun?
Speaker 1: You always You're somebody that in my dealings with you, You've always really enjoyed your interaction with the players right the game itself. But it does feel like there's a lot of people whove been around it as long as you have that are kind of soured on some of those aspects of it.
Speaker 3: What's it like for you, I've soured on some of the things. When you talk about.
Speaker 4: Kids can lead whenever they want for any reason, and it's not basketball. Sometimes it's more like a professional situation where you're a free agent and you're.
Speaker 3: Going where you're going to get paid the most.
Speaker 4: That part is different and it's just taken some adjustment to but it, Doug, it does not outweigh the fact that what you just said, you get to work with these guys and you get to watch them grow, You get to be a part of maybe the most pivotal time in their lives to help mentor them in the game and away from the game.
Speaker 3: It's very rewarding and gratifying.
Speaker 7: For me.
Speaker 4: It's something that if I wouldn't getting paid to do it, I'd probably still be doing it with somebody, So I just I still enjoy it.
Speaker 5: What are you better at now than you use to?
Speaker 4: Understanding the important things that make you the best that you can be? Understanding what those is? What those are? I think before, Doug, as younger, you tried to cover a lot of things. You tried to be good at everything. There's some that are good at everything, but there better be a few essential, some core parts of this game that you're very good at.
Speaker 5: What do you what do you what do you believe your best at? What your your core?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 4: Ultimately I would like to think, uh, putting players in a position to show their best side. I would say that would be what it is. Yeah, almost to a fault. I think sometimes and what I've done, Doug, you know me as a head coach. I always say we because it's a staff. But if I'm making the final decisions, I probably let guys that were young give them too much freedom too early because they don't understand how to use that freedom. I think when or older, they understand it and then they have the ultimate freedom, the ultimate green light. I probably err on the bad side, have given them too much freedom, and that's something that I've learned. I think I'm better at that I think I'm able to talk to kids more about what is a good shot, what's a bad shot when you're over dribbling early, and why it makes a difference.
Speaker 1: What about your style as a coach really kind of fit always with this era, even in a previous era, right, But have you found yourself evolving and changing in how you want to play offensive?
Speaker 3: No, not really.
Speaker 4: I still think we provide a structure, but you can go right or left within that structure, and it gives again, it gives guys freedom. I would say when you asked me a question earlier about things that are different and what's really important, I think I've become more disciplined in those areas than I was when I was a younger coach, but yet still giving guys the freedom.
Speaker 1: How more discipline them away.
Speaker 4: If you loaf, if you don't guard, you got to sit out. And before you'd sit down a little bit maybe, but now you know, you really sit out and you're gonna hear about it. So I'm probably more disciplined in that regard.
Speaker 1: But you do it in a confrontational or non confrontational.
Speaker 4: Way, in a very firm way, And it depends on how much you resist to where it can become more confrecational. But then there comes a point where there's no confrontation at all. It's just you look on the side and the guy says, I'm in for you.
Speaker 3: That's it. No confrontation, right, there's you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: That's right, sit there, and they mumbled to themselves, Yeah, go ahead over there with d're out.
Speaker 5: They figure it out.
Speaker 7: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 1: How do you handle losing? Because not very well? Right, But again, you look back and there were a couple of years that you dot but not really where you'd lost, you know, and you guys would always be honestly better in the NCAA tournament than you would sometimes in the league, right, make runs and in the Pac ten tournament, but you haven't. But when you take a program that was where was when you got there, you're gonna lose for a guy who's won, and then you know, you play guarantees and start a year.
Speaker 5: Those are hard.
Speaker 1: How do you emotionally handle the losing that eventually leads to the winning.
Speaker 3: I probably handle it.
Speaker 4: It's tougher as a leader because the buck stops with you, sure and everything. I don't care how much you get on someone about we didn't do that, or you always go back to yourself, what could I have done better? But at the same time, as a leader, you got to be the one that say tomorrow's a different day and we got to continue to get better.
Speaker 3: And as a result of that, I'm not one to bury people.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to motivate them to find out how we can get better constantly. And you don't want to be totally condescending because you lose them. But it's not easy to lose. That's when more transfers start to happen. More parents are calling wondering why they can't, kids don't play more. All of that, everyone has an answer, they can solve your issues.
Speaker 3: Just a whole plethora of issues come in.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Houston obviously a really talented kid, right and even Ethan. Now Ethan's won some when he was at SC didn't win anyone who's at Wyoming last year. But I think the hardest thing, especially when you have a group like you have, some of these kids that have been together. Is that final step, which is winning those games. Now you've won to ask the championship. You've been a part of all these NCAA termed teams, Sweet sixteen teams. How do you teach them to win the games that the last couple of years you've been close.
Speaker 5: But you've lost.
Speaker 4: Continue to teach the things we've been teaching. Continue to teach those things. These are the essentials, These are the non negotiables, and we're gonna stick with those, and then you gotta win one.
Speaker 5: What are your not negotiators?
Speaker 4: Again, You're gonna play hard. Bottom line, you're gonna play hard, You're gonna share the ball. If you do those things, then somehow you gotta win one. So easy, everyone doesn't do it. And you're talking about in this day and age especially, people want to get to the NBA as as soon as possible. They select their schools based on what where can I get the most NIO money and where can I get to the NBA as quickly as I can. So if that's their mindset coming in, you got to get them to play as a team. So you know that's difficult to do. But once all of that starts to happen. Then you gotta win one, and then you gotta win two, and then there's buy in. People forget you mentioned at the University of Washington, we took the program over because they weren't winning, and then our first year we didn't win, and then we start a conference. Our second year, Doug, we were zering five, didn't look like we were going anywhere, and then we won one, then we won two, and then we end up going to the tournament, and then we didn't look back. So you just got to get over the hump, keep doing things the right way, and then you win one and then you start to believe it.
Speaker 1: Last thing, it's a long year, right, I got the forty five day.
Speaker 5: Dude's been practicing a while.
Speaker 1: How do you manage how much you want to get in their bodies with the fact that they all have, whether it's diagnosed or not, some form of add where they can't they can't.
Speaker 5: Focus for law, like, what are you like?
Speaker 1: In terms of grinding them in practice now and as a progressor of the.
Speaker 4: Season, continue to continue to explain why you're doing something? Why is this so important?
Speaker 5: They want to know the why?
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, when they know the why, this is the difference in winning and losing a three point game. And if we don't get this down, it's not going to happen. You mentioned Useonson, what happened when we were at BYU and we had the game won, coach, the same thing. We didn't box out. This didn't happen. So we'll show you. You continue to point those things out day in and day out, and don't look at the big picture at that time with them. Just look at that next day and try to explain why that day, why that drill is so important. Next thing, you look up a month that's gone by, and you're ready to start playing.
Speaker 3: A little bit.
Speaker 5: What's the ceiling for this team?
Speaker 4: I think when everyone's healthy, which we are right all right right now, if we can get healthy and we can embrace that system and win a couple and believe it, I think we could we could have a chance to play postseason basketball.
Speaker 5: Well, look, I want to catch up again.
Speaker 1: I want to go to the deep dive into all the history stuff, all right, chance, But in the meantime, it's always great to catch up with you.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me, man appreciate it.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: That's it for this misition of all ball reminded the Doug Gotlig shows daily three to five Eastern, twelve to two Pacific on your iHeartRadio app, Foxport Trader or Foxport Trailer dot Com.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned.
Speaker 1: We got so many more great all balls to come. I'm Doug Gottlieb.
Speaker 2: This is All Ball