Speaker 1: Look out. It's only films to be buried with. Hello, and welcome to films to be buried with. My name is Brett Golstein. I'm a comedian, an actor, a writer, director, a chippan, and I love films. As C. S Lewis once said, a children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story and the slightest inside out to fucking wreck me, brother. And I'm a proper grown up and shit very good point. C. S Lewis. Every week I'm invite a special guest. I tell them they've died, and I get them to discuss their life through the films that meant that. Most of the previous guests include Barry Jenkins and but Ruffin Frost, Sharon Stone, and even but this week it is the brilliant comedian and star of all the things you love. It is mister Phil Wag. The last seven dates of my American stand up Tour the second Best Night of your Life. They're online at Brett Golstein tour dot com. I'm coming to Colorado, I'm coming to Atlanta. I'm coming to New Orleans. I'm coming to Fort Lauderdale. I'm coming to Baltimore, I'm coming to Seattle, and I'm coming to Bellingham. Get your tickets at Breath Goldstein Tour dot com. We'll have a right old giant. Head over to the Patreon at patreon dot com forward slash Brett Goldstein, where you get extra twenty minutes of stuff with Philly Philly Wang Wang. He tells a secret you get the whole thing Uncle Adfrey and does a video. Check it out over at patreon dot com. Forward slash Breck Goldstein. So Phil Wang. Phil Wang is one of the greats. He's one of the great comedians. He's got a new special out on Netflix. I highly recommend it. He's fucking funny. You know him from Taskmaster, you know him from your dreams. He's got a podcast called bud Pod with Pianavelli Issa led I love Phil so much. I was so glad we got to do this on Zoom a couple of weeks ago. It was very nice to hang out with him, and I think you're really going to love this one. So that is it for now. I very much hope you enjoy episode three hundred and seventeen of Films to Be Buried with Hello and Welcome to Films to be buried with. It is me Brett Goldstein, and I am joined today by an actor, a writer, a taskmaster, a podcaster, a netflixer. He's a Disney pluser, a three body problemer, a life after betha a stand up, a legend, the president of Cambridge University, a bud podder, a hero, a edge lord, a sex pest and icon no redacted and an icon't please. He's one of my favorite people on the entire planet. Actually, do you know what? I was going to specify within comedy, but I take you out of comedy. Will be one of my favorite people here. He is. I ain't seen you in ages. Delighted to see him. If you're on Batrin, you're looking at him too. He's got a wonderful tash. Please welcome to the show. It's the amazing. It's Philly. Philly wag wag. Yeah. Everyone high film heads.
Speaker 2: High buried the brats. Thanks for having me, Brett. It's so nice to see you. Oh, it's wonderful to see you. You're in England. Are in Peckham. I'm in England, jolly old Peckham in South London, where I live with my shirts and we have a wonderful It's not it's not much, but we might get home. We might get home.
Speaker 1: Now, what are you? What are you up to? Young man? You've been doing lots of acting. That's a brilliant acting. Have you got a new stand up show for those of us who want it? What's going on?
Speaker 2: I do have got a new I've got a new stand up special on Netflix called Wang in Their Baby and it's out.
Speaker 1: It's out. Oh well, by the time this comes out, that's fucking so exciting. Your second special, Yeah, my second Netflix special. I filmed it at the sam Want to make a playhouse in the Shakespeare's Globe. It's like completely wooden and all the timey, and it's lit by can is bare wood and candles, an ideal combination the naked flames and dry wood that sounds really dangerous. How long had you been working on that show? How many times did you film it? What was it like? Tell me everything?
Speaker 2: Well, it's a show that I've been touring a version of since twenty twenty two, but I reckon like half of it's different already. I filmed it twice in Monday at night. Okay, it is my favorite show I've done. I think it's my funniest show. It is my silliest show, and I kind of think of it as my first roppers, honest me. Really me special because the first special was during COVID Really it is swift Tail and COVID film the London Padium. I sold out the London Palladium of capacity or social distancing of full sellout, so.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, tickets that could be sold was held.
Speaker 2: All legally available tickets were sold. People were in their masks, and I can see you when I watch it. I can see like I can see the lockdowns in my eyes right, And there's material about COVID in it, and it felt impossible not to mention at the time, And now I think it kind of dates that special, but that's fine because I like to move on.
Speaker 1: Do you know what. When I watched that special, which I really loved and I thought it was brilliant, I wondered if when you were performing, I was like, God, I don't know how much you've been outside, Like it was like it was so COVID that I was like, is this the first time you've been near this many people in a long time. It was one of the fust things, and the vibe outside that that evening was a kind of it was still that period of post lockdown where we were emerging from the darkness and blinking in the sunlight. You remember that, and everyone's kind of giddy. It felt a bit of dream like that. That was it.
Speaker 2: But I think you know, it took a little a little bit of soul out of that room having in half capacity. But this one is so I went with this show for the direct opposite crammed in together two hundred and fifty three hundred people in a small, beautiful, more intimate Everyone's sick, people like seezing Coffin throwing up, I'm on a girl ley the entire time. I've got a drip hooked up. It's a whole new world. It's a braver. It's my favorite, my favorite performance. That's really exciting. And of the two, how long was the gap between the two shows that recorded on the day half an hour? Oh really forty five minutes half now? And how much of each show is in the special? Do you think it's mostly Show one with peppered with Show two? What happened in show too that you didn't use any of it? Were you were too late. I completely dried up. It turns out having candles burning non stop in a room kind of dries the air out. And I like, fifteen minutes in just have you ever seen The Walking Dead? I've seen it like that, and I'd ask the stage manager to bring on a big bottle of water down old thing, and it's still wasn't enough.
Speaker 1: So I do that show.
Speaker 2: It was still a good show, but I just fromtimetime my mouth would just go and I just couldn't speak, So it didn't quite have the flow of the first one, which was moist and wet that first show, or slopping my you could hear my tongue just slopping about in my mouth.
Speaker 1: But I wonder if the first one is more slightly more relaxed, because you're like, I've got another go at this, and then you fucking spash it up. Interesting.
Speaker 2: Usually the other way around, you do the second record and you're more relaxed because you go, I've got one in the tank, right, But it did didn't work that way around the time. It's a fickle old funny businesses comedy, Brett. It's it's alchemy. When you did your Palladium one, was that one, shoot one, just two also two, and then that was the opposite the second the second recording I did the second show, I was all loose and bublet comparatively loose.
Speaker 1: So you did sell out the play here because you did half half capacity? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's that's what I'm looking at it. Yeah, that's great. The second show was all Annequins. Does that count?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I got pay Yeah. Having done the special, Now are you like starting from scratch again or are you taking a break? How are you? Where are you at? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Tonight I'm going to North London to do ten minutes of new material.
Speaker 1: Excited.
Speaker 2: I booked it, gigs booked for after the special, and I realized too late, Oh oh I don't have any and material does on as special, so I better get out there. So yeah, but it's my favorite part of, you know, doing stand up is having to start fresh and just go out with ideas and try and work up a ten. I love ten minutes.
Speaker 1: How ten minutes. I also think isn't an hour too long for comedy? I think it's for any Fifteen minutes the perfect length of a set. I think fifteen is the best length. Twenty is too long fifty. There's always a bit. If you're watch an amazing story to do a perfect twenty, it's really a perfect fifteen with a lull and then a banger. Oh yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: If I were, If I'm on my death bed with the love of my life watching a beautiful sunset at forty minutes, i'd go Do you want to go? I think I just need some kind of just look at my phone for a bit. I think analogy it's going on for anything? Yes, so right, football is split up into forty five minutes, and it was a lot of football.
Speaker 1: That's that's true. They really do go right. Everyone needs to stop looking at this for a bit, don't they? Fuck? You're right? Is there anything you can think of that you've watched in any form of any kind that you wished was longer?
Speaker 2: Ooh no, I don't think so. I think I always want to go home as soon as my mouth I want to go home.
Speaker 1: Do you get this? I love going home.
Speaker 2: I sometimes feel like the only reason we go out is that we get to go home afterwards.
Speaker 1: You know. I sort of think the reason to go out or go to parties it's for the debrief on the way home. That's the best bit, the bit where you go, I fucking talk to this absolutely mad, insane person and blah blah blah, this happened. And that's the bit, the bit, yeah, the bit you had to endure that terrible But the morning after when you're talking about.
Speaker 2: It good fun. It's actually like we're seeing going to see a bad movie. And I love going to see a bad movie with someone for the chat on the way home afterwards. That the best talking about this makes sense? That was so stupid, Yeah, and and and and I doubt it's like a bad movie.
Speaker 1: You do really like. I listened to your wonderful episode of Perfect Day Jessic Good Hap Fits podcast, and one of the things that was in your perfect day was staying in, doing some launch just listening to a podcast.
Speaker 2: Oh don't tempt me, don't tempt me, trying mugs and listen to the news agents doesn't get better? Funny what's in the budget? And hanging up clothes with a good time.
Speaker 1: What a guy riddled me this though? Do you? How has it all been? You've been doing lots of acting and all of that stuff. You've been enjoying a bit. I love it, you know, I like it. You were fantastic in One Care for that you think, I love you. I loved that film, and I thought you were brilliant. I was so excited to see you in it. I thought you was brilliant. Oh thanks, man, I was very lucky to be us to do that. That's a real proper you added, like a proper set piece as well. I loved it.
Speaker 2: It was so cool. Yeah, one minute forty eight seconds. Yes, we've timed it, but that I'm on so for the best best one minute forty eight Yeah, I mean I arguably I kick off act too, I start act too.
Speaker 1: I've just realized the thing. I wish there was more of you in One Care that could have got on.
Speaker 2: Okay, if only it could have been called Wangka, what a movie that would have been. That's that's They should do an alternate version where my character Colin is the focal point and we see the whole movie from Colin's perspective.
Speaker 1: That's a good spin off.
Speaker 2: I mean, Willie Wonker is only in it for a minute and forty eight seconds. Yeah, but we keep to see his fascinating Colin's fascinating private life. Also, I married Charlotte Richie and it together too. I know what a life colins live in the dream?
Speaker 1: Yeah he really is. What's about a Phil Wang show? TV show? TV show? Yeah? Yeah, a flat share. He's running for president. I'm just pitching right. Yeah, it's a rom com. But he doesn't like to leave the house. And she's an extrovert. Oh that's fun. Yeah, but he is in love with her, but he's.
Speaker 2: How do they meet if I'm always at home and she's always hat he's dragged.
Speaker 1: Oh his artworks. I fucking got it right. Phil Wang has a sister. She lives with him. She is not an introvert. He's an introvert. He's going out. She's like, You've got to fucking do something with it. He's like, no, leave me alone. I'm happy to doing my chores and listening to the newsagent. She says, well, I'm having a house party. She has a house party. You hide in your room on the house party. A girl comes into your room thinking it's the bathroom. Oh sorry, oh what's that? What? Oh you've got a post of the news agents. I listened to that YouTube talk post. There's a spark, there's a spark. You really like her. She's like, well, see you later. She leaves the next day. Your sister's like, had you made a friend last night? Oh?
Speaker 2: And you're like what was she like? Yes, she was admiring my John Soaple calendar. Yeah, my drum Soaple topless calendar.
Speaker 1: And then she's like, oh, she's she's a party girl, that one. She like guys out all the time.
Speaker 2: That's episode where I mean, it's Beauty and the Beast, really, isn't it. It's not just Beauty and the Beast. My sister character is the witch beating the beast is more. She comes in your room to look at your news agent poster. You locked the door behind her.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and so you can't. Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's a crucial difference, isn't it. And like in all such stories, she does eventually fall in love with a character. Yeah, the Stockholm symptrome the movie. Well it's you. Of course she would, Oh, thank you. She's not an idiot. You know.
Speaker 1: I've seen one cut so Thereason felt for you within one minute forty eight seconds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just need a little confidence from one. Because of magical chocolate. I did a little dance. I do a little tap dance. I went to the studio for weeks to learn like ten seconds of the tap dancer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And then when I saw it in the movie, I see tap dancing, I'm like, I honestly thought they see g did? I was like, that's not me, no way, look at my legs and my legs, and I thought.
Speaker 1: The gi that no way, I can believe it. Movie magic, amazing, impressed. Not easy tap dancing, I hear so they say, especially not on a table. It broke? Did you know this? The table broke? And I felt, well, I have seen you on grab notsing because I am obsessed with you, and I know everything you've ever done.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, The table broke and you you broke your wrists. I fell, I fell, I fractured my elbow. What did they do? What happened exactly after that moment you felt? That must have been horrible. I was taken away. Timothy shallow May couldn't couldn't even look me in the eye. He's so embarrassed about my gracelessness. No, no, I didn't see where he was. Actually, I was hurried off set. They said, don't let to me see, don't let Timmy's fragilize see. And they took me away and they gave me some paracetamol and then they got me back on set because I didn't do another shot, but the pain didn't set. Yeah, the paint didn't set until the next morning. The adrenaline was still pumping through me, and so I was all right. But the next morning woke up and I couldn't So we were like, oh, you just fell, and went oh ah, it was a bit, so wow, let's get back on set. Then I gotta I gotta dip Charlotte and give her a little kiss, and that was fine. And then the next morning I woke up and I couldn't twist, I couldn't turned my arm. Yeah, but it was fine.
Speaker 1: In the end.
Speaker 2: There was loads of There was loads of accidents going on on film sets that week because we'd just come out of COVID and loads of experts people hadn't come back to work yet and everyone was trying to catch up with filmmaking and so that kind of stuff. Those staff members were stretched, just kind of safety people and carpenter people, they'd just all been stretched thin, and so loads of accidents happening in movie sets.
Speaker 1: Wow, you're part of the history of movies. Yeah, yeah, speaking of accidents. I forgot to tell you something. You've died. You're dead.
Speaker 2: Oh fuck, I actually died on set that day, did you? Is that how you died? I actually died on set on one of that day. And the timeline where I survived is in the dreams.
Speaker 1: That's your dead dream those are left behind? Yeah, you what you fell from the table.
Speaker 2: Timothy Shallamy has dreamt the timeline where I survived in order to cope with it, because he couldn't cope with the world without me. So this timeline I'm experiencing now is Timothy Shalamy's dream. In reality, I died and I'm with you now on your podcast in the afterlife.
Speaker 1: And you know what sort of weirdly tragic is when you say you watch that film and you were like, am I CGI? Of course they were, you were dead. That's how they You've seen the CGI performance that they pieced together after you died. Yeah, yeah, it's like game a death.
Speaker 2: When they replaced Bruce Lee for the second half of the movie with a guy that looks nothing like Rose, it's really jarring.
Speaker 1: Do you worry about death?
Speaker 2: I do sometimes, only because I have so much to do. But I've got so much, so much washing to do, so many dishes to do, and I can't I can't die because who's going to do them?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You know, what do you think happens when you die? I hope nothing. I really hope nothing. If any of the monotheistic religions are correct about the afterlione, if I'm fucked because I've been making fun of the monotheistic religions.
Speaker 1: But aren't they forgiving? Isn't that like a big part of it? Months, isn't it sort of generally are the a section about forgiveness? Some of them are forgiving, some of them are quite revenge y. It depends what you've been rude about, I suppose.
Speaker 2: But even like Old Testament God versus New Testament God is like revengee versus forgive me. I hope fully it's a forgivey. But then if it's forgive you what you know, then practicing religious people have good reason to be annoyed MM because you didn't do the work. It's like, imagine because they've been praying, putting all the time, And imagine you paid all like thousands of pounds for the business class and then you got on the plane and all the secure business class. Business Like, you're still got to be business class. But it's not right that other people we didn't pay lots gone. You know, that's the only energy I can think of in my life.
Speaker 1: So you're saying that the money they ASTs sort of part of the joy of getting to heaven is like not everyone gets to go, like it's an exclusive, it's an exclusive, sort of.
Speaker 2: Memorize it's the big Soho house in the sky.
Speaker 1: Well that seems against the forgiving part, Like it may be the lesson is for those people. Hey, we were all the same, all alone. That's the big twist. But I don't know, I hear you.
Speaker 2: I'd like to just go back to say, I imagine death is what you experienced before you were born, which is nothing.
Speaker 1: Well, you say that I don't remember before three so.
Speaker 2: To you like three years old, the three PM today, three.
Speaker 1: Years old, I don't remember before three years out, So raha. I might expect when people say like, well I don't I don't know what happened before I was born. You might have done, but you've forgotten a lot. Like at one if we'd asked you at one years old and you had language, what was it like when you was in the room. You might have said, oh, yeah, a couple of things going on interesting.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well then if I don't, yeah, I just I'm really worried about being punished at the end. I went to very strict Chinese school, and so I've always had a great fear of punishment. And for that reason, I don't want there to be an afterlife. I just want to go to sleep. I wanted to be black.
Speaker 1: What if it's only heaven, there's no hell? Because you're you're still thinking very revengee. I'm leaning more forgive me, forgive me. Okay, Well, but then what does heaven look like, because it just clouds and gates. Heaven has never been all that well sold to us. To be honest, I don't understand what the appeal is. Well, let me tell you what heaven is. It's feelings. The favorite thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my favorite thing is charkway Tiao, which is Malaysian flat rice noodles. My god, cook a really high heat in a big walk. It's fucking everywhere, mate, is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Okay, okay. The seats are made out of it, but at the right temperature that they don't burn you. The wolves make you lean against it, and you have a little lean when you're talking to a lady. You have a little lean on your on your rice noodles at the right temperature, you eat them. It's fucking great. And everyone's everyone there. It's really excited to see you, of course, and they're huge fans of any fans really, Oh my god, it's huge. All the Saints, all the Saints. They're banging to your stuff. I'm telling you, forgive me forgetty. That's the that's the okay, great, well, great, this is I haven't I I like the sound of and the news agents are there. I don't even dead by the time, time and space. They're there and they're just like they're like, hey, what's your favorite episode? And you're chatting about stuff, and everyone wants now about your life but through film, which is so weird. And the first thing I ask you is what's the first film you remember seeing? Philly Philly wang Way.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting you ask. I'm made lists because I'm pretty sure it was Batman Returns the nineteen ninety two Tim Burton.
Speaker 1: One of my all time favorite films, is it? I fucking love that My Returns. It's the best one of all of them, of all films, but I think it's the best one going talk to me.
Speaker 2: Vibe for pure vibes, for pure Batman vibes.
Speaker 1: All that. It's sexy, it's scary, it's cool, it's wild. I find it. The penguin, like Danny DeVito, is amazing. That Danny Vito is genuinely scary in that film I had. But he eats a fish raw bite someone's nose of horrible Michelle Fife, Michelle and all that leather.
Speaker 2: Sea's unbelievable. It's awesome, it's so good. It's so beautiful and sort of creepy when when penguin dies and the the penguins pick him up and roll him into the underground lake. My days, it's quite moving. And Batman kills people in it, like there's at least two people Batman flat out killed. It's it's wild man. You don't get to see Batman kill people in many movies. I go to my cousin Brian's house in Malaysia, and every time I went, because he had he had Batman returns in VHS. This is me at like four or five years old. That's say Batman, let's wash Batman, please, let's watch Batman, and his father would go my uncle uncle alegs go okay, okay, and they put in Batman Returns and I just be so happy. It's my favorite thing in the world. Just loved it.
Speaker 1: Mood. He's so beautiful. It is beautiful. It's a beautiful looking film.
Speaker 2: So Michael Keaton has to turn his whole body every time you need to look like the right because they hadn't. The suit was just a single piece of latex. You couldn't move the head separately, so he had to something called as attention is left. You'd have to just spin his whole body from the way startup over. It was ridiculous and brilliant.
Speaker 1: Also, when people say things are silly, I'm like, you're telling me a scene where Bruce Wayne and Selena Kyle turn up at a masked board and they're the only two people not in masks, isn't profoundly deep?
Speaker 2: I don't know you. Oh shoot, that's really good. I even forgot I forgot that details of business. Yeah yeah. Also, I have a theory about Batman's to tell me, I have a theory about Batman's. People who play Batman's. My theory is an actor can only be a good Batman or a good Bruce Wayne. Michael Keaton great Batman, bad Bruce Wayne, where as Christian Bale great Bruce Wayne.
Speaker 1: Bad Batman. What do you think? I like it as a sort of thing to say, but I don't agree. I think Mike does both. But I agree with Christian Bayer, right, right right. I think marke Keaton's Bruce Way, and it is also very good for me.
Speaker 2: The only truly great Batman and Bruce Wayne is Kevin Conroy, who did God Rest his Soul. The voice of Batman in the animated series and in a couple of the films Batman. Mask of the Phantasm is probably the greatest Batman movie. I think it's fabulous.
Speaker 1: Do you love? Is Batman your favorite of the superheroes? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Ever since I was a kid, I just loved Batman because who's like a lone weird little creep who liked maths and gadgets. And that's what, for some reason though, was both to me, a lonely man who's good at maths. For some reason I related to that. You did engineering is a degree that's right in no small part because of Batman. Probably I did engineering.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I studied that is done anything for you.
Speaker 2: I think it helps a lot with comedy, because both comedy and engineering are about logic and structure and pattern spotting and experimentation. So I think it prepared me very well for comedy. Good thank you for saying that it's interesting.
Speaker 1: Do you ever do you ever? Do you ever make stuff? Physical stuff like physically buildings? Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, not so much anymore. I mean the odd bit of Ikea furniture. I assembled a little letter shelf, shelved, put my letters in great hands on. I've got very soft hands. I go my hands with a Malay prince. What's the film that scared you the most? Do you like being scared?
Speaker 1: Fil wing? Oh? I know you don't.
Speaker 2: I've only recently, only recently come to terms with I did a podcast for Audible called film and Hates Horror, and they forced me to watch horror movies with other comedians and I got a taste for it there little, but it's still I've mostly always hated or I hate being scared. I don't like to feel bad. Well, as a kid, I lived in this big, quiet, quite creepy house in Malaysia, surrounded by jungle basically, and so there'd always be with the weird little sounds in the night, and my imagination really run away for from me. I think kids who grew up in boring places are very wild imaginations because you have to fill the boring day is I think this film that's scared, I mean a lot scary, but the one that terrified me. I don't think I even watched the full film. I think I just saw clips of it or trailers. Was it's a Return to Oz? Yeah, that's so scared, the weird sequel to the Wizard of Oz. This is a fun family film. And Return to Oz is this creepy, disgusting movie with the severed heads and these things are right around with wheels at the end of the hands, and she's she's.
Speaker 1: Having electro shock treatment. It's so dark. She's getting legs in their heads in vases in like a library of heads and scary men on wheels with it. We had wheelly hands and feet. It's vile.
Speaker 2: Who thought that was a natural sequel to We're off to see there was a what happened?
Speaker 1: Why? Why did they do that?
Speaker 2: What the fuck? You might as well have made like a porn parodies and sold it as the equal. I mean Jesus fund that you didn't know the lyrics after We're off to see the Wizard, the Wizard, the Wonderful Wizard of Somewhere. That is a fucking scary film and a great show and a Disney film. Different isn't different? Diney didn't give us bark Man, Disney didn't give up.
Speaker 1: What of the film? Loves Horry, hate Harry? What? What was your best that you were forced to watch? I think so.
Speaker 2: The finest scariest one was The Others with Nicole. Great baby, really good, really good. Unfortunately I was so late to it and I knew the twist, but still the journey there was great, and it's such a clever idea that twist, and it's proper spooky when the little girl has the old face. Just being in a big house, being in a big quiet house is just too scary. Man, anything within a big scary house. No thanks. I love The Babba Duke as well. When I saw The bab Duck, I saw most of my fingers, but fabulous movie. I couldn't sleep for days, but it was worth it. I loved it. And also recently I saw Host. You know, yeah, yeah, well I went to UNI with the guy who plays the monster in James Uni. He was obsessed with monsters, just upseessed with old, tiny monsters, and he's made it his life. He's absolutely smashed it, and he's the monster. He's like he's the monster in a bunch of movies. Now. The host was really good and the fact that made it in lockdown on people's laptops and people's flats is unbelievable. So I do now have an appreciation for a good horror movie for sure. What about crying? What's the film that made you cry? In my Do you cry?
Speaker 1: You cry?
Speaker 2: I didn't for ages, and then in my mid twenties I started crying at things in a good way.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 2: I started going out and listening to electronic music, and that unlocked something in me. Ecstasy MDMA. The music unlocked something in me. Bright it is all I'm saying. Something about that music. Really, it just it just screwed it open A tap a tear tap in in my head. And ever since then, I've been able to really get emotional as a movie. I think as you get older as well, you become more emotional because the things, the themes that films tap into whether they're.
Speaker 1: Family or death or love mean more. When you're a kid, the teenager, even like twenty these things don't really mean very much to you. There's still mostly abstract concepts, but they start to become quite real as you get older. And the most I ever cried in the movie is quite a recent one when I went to see All of Us Strangers.
Speaker 2: I fucking loved that film so much. Yeah, all Mescale and Andrew Scott, my girlfriend watched it with me in cinema and I'm going to finish shit to just kind of stand there watching me and waiting for me to stop crying because I was just weeping as brutal. I was so so sad. Is so because a lot of movies that touch on sad things, but I've never seen something that's so viscerally well, that's just so relentlessly hart on the idea of losing your parents and missing them and wishing they've been a around for more of your life, and to the degree of hallucinating them that.
Speaker 1: Just is brutal.
Speaker 2: And the bit where you know they finally let him go and they just sort of stopped moving in that diner, Oh my god, and he's ordered them neils as too much men? I just I just again. Does it to do with the part some part of my life? The time of my life I'm in, my parents are getting older, you know that sort of thing has suddenly become quite real. And I think if I'd watched a film at twenty, it wouldn't have meant anything now or just bore my eyes out. Yeah, beautiful film, beautiful and then and also kind of a ghost film. There's so many theories about it about when he's actually if he's dead, When is he dead?
Speaker 1: If they're dead? When are they dead? All the scouted? Are you dead? Is everyone in the cinema dead? Who's dead?
Speaker 2: Was the director dead? Rob the investors dead? It opens up so many questions. Was the distributor dead? Was the was the best boy dead with the grips dead? Who was everyone dead?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Think he's going to win the Oscar for best Dead Editors Dead. I wanted to discuss true off pod your theory. I think I know when everyone's dead?
Speaker 1: Do you? Are you good at it? I feel pretty clear on when when death has happened in that film? Interesting. I'd love to hear that, but I could be wrong. What is the film that you love? It is not acclaimed people some hate it, but you love it and conditionally, you know what.
Speaker 2: This one might be more of a kind of subgenre of film, but I recently watched a new member of that genre, which was Might Chamelan's track tell Me I One of My Girlfriend. It's got a great premise. Josh Hartnert, who I love, is with his daughter at a big concert and the police around the arena, and he asked the member of stuff, who are here for? And they're here for the butcher, serial killer who they know is going to be at this concert. I don't know what it looks like, but they know he's here, and you straight you very quickly find out. But Josh Hartner is the butcher and he has to get out without alerting his daughter that he is a serial killer. Great premise, great exciting, horribly fumbles. It's such a crazy movie where everyone behaves so stupidly that you kind of lose all satisfaction anytime he makes any progress, because he'll do something and the police will do something so dumb the police are like going out of their way to not catch a serial killer. It's like they've all gone on a training course on how to never catch your man, and once he there's one moment where they're so dumb not to realize it's him that you just kind of turn off and go, oh, okay, nothing matters. You can get through everything, because everyone in this is dumb. But it's still once you let go, it's really fun and it bit's unintentionally funny, and it feels like Josh Hartner's kind of in on it. And it's this genre of movie that's like all set in a single spot, which I like, and it reminds me of like Phone Booth. You remember Phone Boo with Colin Farrell. Yeah, yeah, great, just a movie with Colin farrells and gets stuck in the phone with and the sniper's holding him in there and he has to like confess to an affair or something, and the sniper's taking killing people around him, and because people keep dying around his phone but with the police around it, and he's trying to convince the police it's not him doing it and he's trapped in there. Or Red Eye? Have you seen Red Eye with Killian Murphy, Hilli Murphy, Rachel McAdam, Yes, on a plane and this is honest, he's going to kill you. I'm going to blow up this hotel and she has the plans for it to something and she has to stop him doing this. One flight or Buried when Ryan Reynolds very incredible, incredible. I like these movies, but I feel like they're never given much critical attention because they're like set in the single, their sort of concept movies more than anything.
Speaker 1: They kind of I think.
Speaker 2: People see them as they're like B movies. Yeah, yeah, yeah, but they should be A movies. Well maybe maybe they shouldn't be A movies, but they should be appreciated for for what they are. Just little single is it?
Speaker 1: What is it called?
Speaker 2: Like a fly episode in TV? A bottle episode or a bottle episode? So the fly yes, yes, like a movie that's a bottle episode, a bottle film, I like a buttah. There's also there's also an extra layer of Trap, which you realized only we realize only after we got home and looked at reviews. Trap is set around the concept of a fictional pop star called Lady Raven, and the production value that has gone into the concert is incredible, like dancers, screens, costumes, real songs that sound like propers pop songs and he found out after the movie. Selika, who plays later Raven, is m Night Chaplain's daughter, and the whole movie. This is the big twist, the whole movie. It's a vehicle for m Night Chammelain's daughter.
Speaker 1: Amazing, what a twist. He still got it.
Speaker 2: He still got it. Then's other villain was nepotism the whole time.
Speaker 1: What is a film that you used to love but you've watched recently and you do not like it no more for whatever reason? That may be Green Street Hooligans, Green Street Hooligans with Elijah Wood about isn't the Millwall Hooligans? That's right?
Speaker 2: And there was fighting the West Ham Hooligans. Is that right?
Speaker 1: That's about right? Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I watched this film when I was in boarding school in Brunei and my roommate Pete was from Gloucestershire. He made He said to me and our other roommate Nick, you've got to see Green Street Hooligans. It's the most real, gritty movie or change your life. And we watched Green Street Hooligans and we were like, Wow, who knew football fans hated journalists specifically so much? Who knew this is what a Cockney accent sounded like? Who knew there was these firms behind It's called the firm, and every football team has a firm and each other and it's more about the fighting and the territory than the football. Is a what a gritty, almost documentary level of insights and access to the performance of a career from Elijah Wood and the main hooligan guy. And then I watched it again recently and it's a bad cartoon. It's so bad. It's horrible, it's hilarious, it's so so bad. And then there's there are supercuts of what's the main guy who plays Charlie Hannahan, who plays Pete Dunham, the main main hooligan Charlie Hanham I think is from Yorkshire and he plays a guy with a London Cockney accent and it's a crazy bad Cogney accent is really bad and they are amazing YouTube supercuts off him going all right, what is the problem over? Yeah, with the little with the pepper, with the bears and the apples or rock we love. We're just going over to blow some bubbles. We're always plowing bubbles. It's it's so so good. Oh make sure you've got a ship with Yeah, in case the old build drops down on all our boss. It's so so crazy. That was a good accent that was too good to what we were. I actually bad enough caught the accent to really convey how bad pet Pete's accent is. People's name, pet Unham's accent is in Greenstreet Hooligans. It's amazingly bad movie. But it's like it's such a teenage boys movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get that. What is the film that means the most to you, Phil Wag? Not necessarily the film itself is good, but the experience you had seeing the film makes it special for you, you know.
Speaker 2: I think it is The Raid go On, great movie, the Indonesian action movie, The Raid. Another bottle movie, A great bottle movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one bottle.
Speaker 2: This was special because I watched it with some friends at the cinema and the come through and it's Silat, which is a Malaysian Malay Indonesian martial art, and I've never seen select depicted on the film before. And it's so brutal, it's so beautifully filmed. The fighting is so raw and violent and crunchy. I've never seen anything lining it. And I thought, my dad's gonna love this. Now. My father and I. You know, Dad, sometimes it's hard to find an experience to share with your dad. And I've always had that. I've got a wonderful father, but we've never it's without many times we've just really connected over a shared experience. And I went home to bath and I said to Dad, you need to see this movie to the Raid. And he went, yeah, okay, okay, what is it. It's about Stilla. You're like okay, yeah, yeah, nice, okay. And I didn't want to watch it with my mum in the room because you'd be like, oh, this is horrible, what's this? Stop it? So I got on my laptop and I said, come and we want. Me and my dad walk up to my teenage bedroom and I just set it up on the table. We put up a little chairs so we just watch. We watched The Raid on my laptop in a dark bedroom. That's too long vil as well. Yeah, I just sat next to each other in my bedroom, is all cramped watching watching the Raid. And he's going, no, this is see nice, nice. I see the punch of that. You have to punch it because see he does kofu. He don't come for his whole life, do you. Yeah, we learned it as well, suringi kempo is the muscle that we learned. Is how my parents met. My mum when she moved. She was volunteered in Borneo and she took martial arts lessons and my dad was an instructor, and that's how they met. So I, oh komfo my life.
Speaker 1: Are you good at it? Yes? I could.
Speaker 2: I will destroy you, bread Brett, if you and I ever find I will kill you.
Speaker 1: Fuck I would know I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I will think you with your power and your muscles, I will. I'll break your I'll break your legs. Jesus, Brett, I love you. You're a good friend. I'll break your leggs. You've been watching too much Green Street. Oh no, I'll break your legs. I'll break your I'll break your chicken eggs. I'll break your chickens eggs.
Speaker 1: I will so you you count And you loved it on your laptop, the two of you in the dark. We watched it, just in the dark of the two just a man and his son, father and son, a classic beautiful father and son activity. And at the end, he said, he said, Okay, yeah, very good film. And then I closed the laptop and went back downstairs and joined the family for I don't know, a bargain hunt. But that was a special experience. Have you watched The Raid too with him?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: The Raid too?
Speaker 2: Watching my own, it's not quite as good. And a character comes back played by someone who dies in the first movie, and it took me ages to realize he's playing a different character and they had resurrected a dead guy from the first movie. So it's a bit confusing. And it's not a bottle.
Speaker 1: What's this? Definitely not what's the film you most relate to? I most relate to? You know what?
Speaker 2: I think it might be magic Mike, it's I I not stupid, it's magic, Mike. I've never seen my number of abs represented on screen.
Speaker 1: I get that.
Speaker 2: There's a there's a movie, a Singapore movie from two thousand and two called I'm Not Stupid, and it's about the Singaporean schoolboys who I don't know if you have it here, but in our primary school and secondary school in Malaysia and Singapore, we have streams and if you're if you're clever, you get in, like into the clever stream. If you're dumb, you get into the dumb stream. And it's about a bunch of boys who get into the dumb stream at school and it's just I can I can barely remember the plot points now, but I just remember watching it and the accents was so Singaporean, which is like basically Malaysian accents, and the terms of phrase, and the way the kids, the kid actors in are so good and always like, oh, I don't be like this, and using this off Singapore and Malayian in terms of phrase. Why like that one the omba And I just found it so funny because it's the vernacu An actual I grew up with, and I've never seen on the screen people talk like that. The only other time was in Crazy Acasians. For the most part, these people don't speak the way Malaysians and singapore And speak. And a Kofina, incredibly in Crazier rig Asians is meant to be Singaporean, but she sounds like she's from Brooklyn because she went to university there for two years whatever. But when they come back, when they come back, there's her Auntie I think is played by real singapore And actress, and the way she speaks is the way like Chinese Malasians speak, that kind of brash Chinese Malasis Singapore and accent.
Speaker 1: What are you doing? Oh don't ay?
Speaker 2: Come on, it's just so funny and I've never seen on screen, let alone like a I mean, I've never seen that on a big movie screen.
Speaker 1: That was amazing. But I'm not stupid.
Speaker 2: It's full of that and it will mean nothing to most people watching this movie. But if you grew up in Singapore, Malaysia, try and watch. I'm not stupid because it's it's really special. What a perfect answer. You must have been put in the clever stream, I'm assuming Yeah, I was put in science stream aka clever stream. Wow, what's the thinkies? Stream code art? Yeah, he's an artist.
Speaker 1: I think that banging his head with a stick, he's an artist.
Speaker 2: What he's getting all those f's as a performances?
Speaker 1: The sexiest film come on? Film? You know what?
Speaker 2: I think it might be this French Belgian film called Raw. Did you see Raw about about the cannibal The girl learn to be a vet in in the Cannibals? Yeah, she also learned to be a vet and her sister accidainly chops off a finger, and the girl licks a bit of this severed finger, and like she changes and she discovers she has a taste of human blood, and her sister comes to with her, the main character just gnawing on her sister's finger, and the main girl goes to such a good spiral and they basically like cannibalism is used as this sort of extreme metaphor for like teenage lust and sex university and discovering your sexuality at that point of your life. But using cannibalism as a metaphor makes it really visceral and gross, and and there's a there's like a real rosophobia the movie, and like when when the students are all dancing together this underground in this small room, and and her dormitory is really small, and she fancies this guy and and and but she also wants to eat him and she has and it's all like tearing a flesh because they're learning veterinaries. And then there's this great reveal at the end, but why she feels that way, it's really really good. And this is clearly iconic scene of her dancing in front of her mirror and she's just staring at herself and like, is she hungry? Is she turned on by herself?
Speaker 1: Is she you know?
Speaker 2: It's it's really really sexy but also really really gross. And I think, you know, for something to be really sexy has to be kind of gross, because sex is kind of gross. You disagree, could you elaborate on the well, because sex is animalistic and and squelchie and body parts flying around, and it's you know, you kind of want to devour each other, and this movie just kind of takes out to her. It's metaphorical extreme. Have you seen Titane or sit In? You know I haven't the same movie makers, it's the same director.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you love it? Oh my god. You like sexy and sexy and gris and weird and also sexy. You love that. You'll leave it up if that's your sexiest what's your traveling worrying? Why don't space jam? Lady Lola Bunny?
Speaker 2: Get name out your fucking mouth, Lola Bunny, that's right, cartoon.
Speaker 1: Get my Bunny's name out your fucking mouth. Brett. I'll break your legs.
Speaker 2: I'll break your legs. I'll break your I'll break your chair, your chair, your your your wooden pegs, I'll break your Yeah, Man, Lola Bunny.
Speaker 1: Egs, that's yeah, you get you get it. Subjectively the greatest filmable time for me, it's Mary Poppins. Ah, fuck you, you are correct. It's so beautiful.
Speaker 2: It's so dark, and I think, was it like with the first of the Disney movies that the sets were painted like with the base black first.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I might be thinking Aboutman the animated series, but it's a similar vibe to Batman the animated series. All everything's pretty dark and rainy, and London looks so beautiful like and it looks like a stage set, but there's also a movie set. And the songs are unbelievable and that I cry so hot at that. So that's something that's matured with me in that movie. When I was a kid, I watched and I enjoy it, going oh, this is a movie about children. And then I watched it again a few years ago on Christmas. It's about as someone who's entering his fatherhood age and I realized and I realized, this is a movie about fatherhood. It's about mister Bangs, and I just started weeping, Oh my god at the near the end when birds at the fireplace and he said, he starts singing, and pretty soon they're up and grown, and then they've flown, and mister Bannings is realizing he's spending too much time at work and going to miss his children's childhood. Oh my god, I just telling it. Have you seen Saving mister Banks?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I love it. I also cried a lot of that. Oh my god, that killed me brilliant, that killed me dead, that broke my legs. That one wonderful answer. What is the film you could or have watched the most over and over again?
Speaker 2: Well, the film I have watched the most is probably The Dark Knight. Everyone talks about the Night Night on here, and I think I'm probably knighted out at this point. The film I could watch again and again and again is Mad Max Fury Road.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, what a movie. What a movie?
Speaker 2: I mean, talk about an unlikely boner. I think I got one watching up the first time, just the crunch and the loudness, and when the guitarists flamed their guitarist guy appears. Oh my days, I gave me a bonner. It's just so good and and such an antidote to the age of CG. You know, everything is real and apparently everyone people make it were like.
Speaker 1: We should have survived. It looks like it.
Speaker 2: And apparently like before they edit they thought it was there was a flop. It didn't make any sense. It was a disaster, a dangerous, expensive disaster. And the edit they made it work. And it's one of the greatest films I've ever made. I just think it's incredible, and it's so it's like so exciting for two hours, so amazing rush and it's just like, I mean, talk about simplicity. It's just one drive three times straight. It's a straight line. They're just going in a straight made really good, so beautiful. And then the sequel, Furious is really really good as well, but a bit longer. It's not quite as tight and perfect as it's.
Speaker 1: Basically it's not. Fury is basically a bottle film because it's like straight, right, Furious is.
Speaker 2: Like five bowles. Yeah, it's like a life it's a lifetime. Yeah, but yeah, I could watch that again and again and again. It's just like going on a roller coaster again, and you could just go again and again and again. You rolly pasters, you're like being scared like that. I have a similar relationship to re courses, as I do with scary movies, Like once I've gone through one, I'm like, that was great, but it's really hard to get me on there. I'm always scared something's broken. I think as I grew up in a country with stuff is always broken, and now I live in a country where stuff is always broken. That I I've always thought the scariest thing to have for a roller coaster ride is in the queue. Like it's presented as a normal ride with the Pharaoh's curse or whatever, and you know, this does seem so scary, But in the queue you get actors to just like behind a little curtain, like a boss shouting at an engineer and showing him plans and saying, what the hell is this? And they turn and see you in the queue and they pull the curtain.
Speaker 1: That's great. And maybe some some screws just on the floor in the.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, maybe someone just dropped screws. Yeah, just drops another bot.
Speaker 1: That's a great idea, And just and and and as you get near it, just somewhere in the booth game just fucking just moved them, just moved them out the way.
Speaker 2: It's fine. It's someone going it's fine. It's fine. Yeah, we don't need to replace it. It's fine, it's fine. Statistically, it can't happen again today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. That's what's the worst film we've ever seen. We don't like it to be too negative film.
Speaker 2: I think it's probably Elvis, just Butler, Elvis. It's the worst movie I've ever seen. I watched it because my girlfriend is obsessed with the movie. She's seen a movie six times. I watched it once and felt like I've seen it six times. I've never seen a movie like it. It's relentless. Give me a fucking headache, man. The movie Elvis is like watching a three hour long trailer for the movie Elvis. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: It does make or something.
Speaker 2: It's all the spinning wheel things are turned into other wheel of things. Someone needs to tell a bas Lemon. You can just have a screen, white man. You can just transition. Just cut. You don't have to have a spinning roulette. We all turn into a spinning tire, turning into a spinning stage, turning into the moon. Just cut it, man. I couldn't stand in a movie. It was confusing. It didn't grab me. I didn't didn't make any sense. It was crazy. I think it's the worst movie I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, doing comedy, you're about to release your second special, what's the film that made you laugh the most Philly Philly Wang Way, There are a few. The one that comes to mind is Book Smart. Great film, so relates, it's so funny. It was relatable because it's such. It's set in high school and high school and it's a couple of girls who've been real bookish and studious and disciplined realize all the cool kids that, like a bunch of the cool kids at school have also gotten into like Gail and Brown and good universities, and when when they when that's revealed the movie, I've got like a panic attack. The idea of like the fun kids who went to parties getting into the good univers getting into Bridge too. I was like, don't you fucking dare? That was like the scariest thing I've ever seen in the movie, right, And so that really hit me hard. And so then the rest of the movies about the two main girls trying to make up for all the fun they missed out on at school, and it's just such a great, crazy chaotic it's not that crazy, it's a chaotic kind of like road trip movie, but it's in there on town. It's I guess it's reminiscent of what's that movie super Bad? Super Bad and that one with Matthew McConaughey when he's young days and confused, Days and Confused is a bit like that, but it's about heaven, like not everyone's welcome. Is that? Is that how you felt about the university? Is that where this comes from?
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, maybe I think it's all part of the same dynamic. Yeah, yeah, I just I just think restraint should Yeah, I think restraints should be rewarded.
Speaker 1: And I practiced so much restraint in my life, you know.
Speaker 2: So The Book's to me was a horror movie but also extremely funny.
Speaker 1: It's a great film. It's just it's mad cap in this. I just like it's Red.
Speaker 2: There's a movie that's just unapologetic about having jokes in it and being silly and just having like a recurring characters and running jokes that are dumb and really makes sense, but a really funny.
Speaker 1: I loved it, and I think there's I took it once for the timing of the ending of the very last shot of that film is so perfect. It's such a well executed ending reminding what remind me what it is? It's just right at the end, it's like kind of moving. They're saying goodbye to each other. You could cry because they're not going to see each other. And then she says something like, but come and have lunch for me before I go, and she goes, fuck yeah, it cuts, and that's yeah, yeah, yeah, Phil Phil, Well Wang, what an absolute delight you have been. However, when you were in Wonka and you had rehearsed for weeks and weeks your tap dance, and you got on this table and they were filming and action and you did your tapdos and everyone their eyes lit up. They were so delighted and charmed by Charlotte Richie. She was falling in love. Everything was happening. And then the table broke under you, and as you fell, one of the table legs went straight through your skull, under your chin, out through your brain, and you were just there and everyone screamed, oh fuck, and the director all said cut, cut, and your head was on a spike and Timothy shallow May, his beautiful eyes were so shocked, and he came over to you and he kissed you on your mouth, and he said thank you for your service, and then he said, should we get lunch? And then he went off to get lunch and the castle who went to get lunch? And I was walking walking through the set with a coffin. You know, I'm like, because I just wanted to do a set visit and I see your head on a spike in the middle, and no one's around, like, what the fuck man? And so I try and get your head off the spike, but you're absolutely fucking joined in it. So I'm having to pull you. I have to pull your head out with despite put that in the coffin, get the rest of you. Try to smash you in the coffin, but there's bits of table around ends up. The coffin is absolutely full. There's no room in it. There's only enough room for me to slip one DVD into the side for you to take across to the other side. And on the other side, it's movie night every night. What film are you taking to show all the ladies in Rise Noodle Heaven when it is your movie night? Philly Hilly Wangway. I think it would have to be everything everywhere, all at once. What a movie.
Speaker 2: What a movie, beautiful movie. I think there's still layers of it. Like I missed the first time, I could pick up again. It has a Malaysian lady in it, Michelle Yo. They'll remind me of my malaysianness, my Malaysian childhood. It's loads of Chinese people. It's funny, it's beautiful, it's unique. It's about different timelines and different lives. And you'll give me hope for the idea that maybe in a different timeline, I survived Wonka and I didn't get a table leg through my skull, and Timothy Chanamy didn't get lunch and everything everywhere, all once will remind me that such a turn that exists the multiverse is possible. And in another universe, I survived to do Wonka. To Colin, The Rise of Colin, Rise of Colin Rise, Colin Rise, Colin Rise.
Speaker 1: Phil Wang, what a joy teller. What to look out for starring Philly Wang Wang in the coming months, weeks days.
Speaker 2: Please watch for my Netflix special wang In There Baby only on Netflix. I'd love you to watch that. That'll be fantastic. Otherwise, to keep an eye out if I'm doing stand up anywhere. Anyone who listens to this. Who doesn't know Phil Wang is, which would be insane. Is really really one of the greats, and you absolutely must watched me special Phil Wang.
Speaker 1: I love you. I'm so grateful we've got to hang out. Thank you for doing this. Have a wonderful death. Good day to you. Thank you, Brett. You're a wonderful person. It's a pleasure to be dead with you. So that was episode three hundred and seventeen. Head over to the Patreon at patreon dot com, forward slash Brett Goldsteme for the extra secret chat and video with Phil. Come see me on tour at breakgasintour dot com. Guysch Apple Podcasts give us a five stars time. It's too much happening for everyone in it. I mean, don't do all these things. I mean you can. It depends how much time you've got it today. Anyway, I really appreciate you listening, and I hope you're all well. Thank you so much to Philly Philly Wang Wang for giving me his time. Thanks to Scruby's Pick and the Distract some pieces of Network. Thanks to Buddy Peace for producing it. Thanks to iHeartMedia and Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network. Posting it. Thanks Adam Richardson for the graphics, Lis Alidon for the photography. Come join me next week for another brilliant guest. But in the meantime that's it for now. I hope you're all well, have a lovely week, and please now more than ever, be excellent to each others.
Speaker 2: Fast back back by the bust backs a sack bysack by backs as back us back back bas backs as by back back back