Speaker 1: Apple's got a new, more affordable iPhone. I'll break down everything you need to know about the iPhone sixteen E, what it has and what it doesn't. Looking for a new job, Google's latest tool could help you find your next career move. And the one app that'll instantly make your smartphone photos pop. Trust me, you're gonna want this one plus your tech questions answered. What's going on? I'm Rich Damiro and this is rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe that tech should be interesting, useful, and fun. Let's open up those phone lines at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. Email is also an option. Just go to the website. Rich on tech dot TV Hitcomact again rich on tech dot TV guests. This week, we've got Titanya Jordan. She's going to join me to talk about her new book and keeping kids safe online. Yeah, parents, I know we're all out of control. She's gonna help rain some of this stuff in Brandon Butch, tech YouTuber and writer at the Apple Den will join me to talk all things Apple. We'll hit on the iPhone sixteen E, some changes over in Europe, and all the other things that Apple is doing this week. Lots of little announcements with them, and then later on in the show, if Akundo holdsmeister from how two Men, we'll talk about some of the coolest hidden Android apps. Get ready to download some great new apps. He does a great job on YouTube with those well. Apple has launched the successor to the iPhone SE. It is called the iPhone sixteen E. Now the E doesn't officially stand for anything, of course, there's many speculations going around online about what it might stand for, economical, essential, everything, whatever else.
Speaker 2: You can think of. This starts with E.
Speaker 1: But this is the phone that is replacing the iPhone SE. It's been over a thousand days since they came out with that phone, so it was time for an update. And this is a modern smartphone with pretty much everything you need at a price that is not so bad so basic specs. Yes, it has a bigger screen six point one inches. It's got the A eighteen chip, which is Apple's latest processor. On the iPhone sixteen, not the Pro. The Pro has a slightly more elevated chip, but this is like their latest modern chip. It's got a one forty eight megapixel camera, so just one camera lens on this but I'll talk about that in a bit.
Speaker 2: It also has face ID instead of a home button.
Speaker 1: I know a lot of people like the se because they're holding on to that home button. But with this phone, Apple has officially retired that old technology. Now all of their phones in the line up to have face ID. And it's also got USBC instead of lightning, so again another modern upgrade. Now because it has that latest processor, there is support for Apple Intelligence. This is their suite of all of the different you know, writing tools and the image playground and all that fun stuff that you can do that I'll be quite honest, I don't use a ton of it on the iPhone. I have it on my model, but I don't find myself using it. I still am pretty much turning to chat GBT when I need to do things. Now, when it comes to buttons on this phone, I mentioned there's no home button, but there isn't action button on the side. So remember that little slider they used to have the little toggle switch for ringer and silent. Well that's been replaced on the later iPhones with what's called an action button. And the neat thing about this action button is if you want it to, you know, still function in the same way as your ring silent switch, you can still do that. You just press it and hold it and it will toggle between those two functionalities. But the neat thing is you can assign it to do a whole bunch of other things. So you can make it launch the camera, it can launch the flashlight, it can activate a voice memo. You can also use it for visual intelligence, so there is no camera control. The second button that they added to the new latest iPhones, the iPhone sixteen models, that is not on this device. But you can still assign this action button to let you do pretty much whatever you want. You can make it open up an app. And this intelligence feature is kind of interesting because this is kind of Apple's version of Google lens. So if you activate this visual intelligence, you can aim it at a bird, it can identify the bird. If you aim it at a business card, it can add that information to your contacts. It can identify plants, animals, and much more. You can also use it to search items. So if you're looking at something like a address or a couch you want to buy, someone has something in their house that you want, you can just search Google for that product for where to buy it, and of course it links up with chat GBT if it can't get the answer through Apple or through Google. This is the first iPhone to have a modem designed by Apple.
Speaker 2: And this is pretty wild.
Speaker 1: I know, it seems like a small thing because who cares about the motem inside of a phone? But Qualcomm typically makes those modems, and so the fact that Apple's making their own, that's, you know, kind of a big shift for this because they do sell hundreds of millions of iPhones every year, and so the fact that that is moving away from Qualcom not a good thing for their business, but of course a good thing for Apple because they can now optimize that modem to do exactly what they want on these phones. This is called the C one, and Apple says already they're getting fast and reliable five G coverage, but also it's making the phone have better battery life, because if you think about it, most of these phone makers have to kind of shimmy into what these chips do. So they get the chip, and they get the camera lens, and they get all this stuff from different manufacturers and then they build the phone around it. With Apple, when it comes to the processor and also this now modem, they are designing that from the ground to work with the phone, so they can make their software very very specific in how it does everything, and you get a lot of efficiency and power and computing efficiency through that. So now when it comes to the camera, this is a two to one camera system. So yes, I said, it's just one lens forty eight megapixels, but because it's so high megapixels, you can crop into the picture, which means effectively you have a two x telephoto zoom without any loss of quality. So we're gonna have to test that out see how that works in real life. But yes, one lens on the back, very simple setup, No dedicated zoom lens, no ultra wide lens, no macro photography, no spatial photography, so no three D pictures or videos off of this.
Speaker 2: But again, this is a basic phone. You don't need all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Now, when it comes to emergency services, Apple has really been good in this aspect. Satellite is supported, so you can do messages over satellite, you can send emergency SOS, roadside assistance via satellite. You can also update your location and find my via satellite. Plus it's got crash detection. So Apple has really led the charge in sort of these emergency services. Your phone is your lifeline. So if you get into an accident, something happens, you're in the middle of nowhere, your phone is basically gonna call emergency services for you. So that's pretty amazing. Now, if you have the iPhone se, I think that this is gonna be a really nice upgrade. I know you're gonna lose that home button, but I think overall, this is a really nice phone for the price. But there are some things you don't get, and I haven't mentioned the price just yet, have I I'll tell you that in a moment. You do get an OLED screen, but it's not gonna be as bright as the iPhone sixteen. So in almost every aspect you're getting what you need, but you're getting kind of a little bit of a lesser version of it.
Speaker 2: And I think for most people that's not going to be that big of a problem.
Speaker 1: There's no dynamic island that's that little area near the selfie camera that displays information. It's the kind of traditional notch they had on older models of the iPhone. Also, there's no always on display. So if you like to look at your phone, glance at the screen, be able to see the time and notifications without touching it, that's not happening on this device. There's also now this gets into a little bit of a nuanced area. But this phone, and I think a lot of people, of course give Apple some issue with this. It's got a slow refresh rate, so slower than Android phones of this quality.
Speaker 2: And what does that mean.
Speaker 1: It means that when you're moving around on the screen, things may not refresh as quickly.
Speaker 2: They may be a little bit slower to the eye.
Speaker 1: But I don't think people that are buying this phone are going to care about that, and that's never been a big issue with Apple because it's still a very good device. Now there is wireless charging. There's no support for mag Safe, so that means you can't magnetically attach accessories to the back. But you can add this functionality through a case. It has to be a third party case. Apple came out with some of their own cases. They do not have mag Safe that they add. Also, the sixteen E supports slower wireless charging, so it's only seven and a half watch versus fifteen, which is the full speed charging on the iPhone sixteen models. Now there's no ultra wide bandship, which means, yes, you can still find your air tags and other items, it's just not going to lead you to them precisely. So yes, you can still locate stuff, but the ultra widebandship allows you to kind of your phone will tell you, hey, move over to the left, and it's two hundred feet away there.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: Also there's Wi Fi six versus the latest Wi Fi seven on the other iPhone sixteen models. But still this is a great value for an iPhone. Now the price is higher than before. The SEU was four hundred and twenty nine dollars. This is five hundred ninety nine dollars. But I'm already seeing tons of deals. Verizons got this thing for like five bucks a month at and T and T MO will have it if you trade in a line completely free. But check the latest deals, because that's what this phone is all about. It's about value and getting you into the Apple ecosystem. It's for people that walk into an Apple store and say I don't care about the features. I just want a new phone. That's all I care about, and I want a good price. That's who they're going to sell this phone to. And I'm telling you they're going to sell a lot of these things because by the time you get through all the features on it, you're saying, well, I've got the basics covered, what more do I need? And the person that's selling to you is gonna say, yeah, it's fine. I mean, do you need the three lenses, do you need the ultra wideband? Do you need the fastest WiFi? People are gonna say no, it's all fine. So this is a direct response to all of those inexpensive Android phones out there. And I think what Apple has done is they've reached such a scale with their business they're getting tough to beat. They make their own processors, everything performs really well. Now, they make their own modems, so every little breakthrough they have pays off for years to come. Not to mention, they also have stores in every major city around the world that you can walk into and get help with your phone, plus repair shops that fix your phone, plus successories. The iPhone sixteen E is five hundred and ninety nine dollars for a one hundred and twenty eight gigabyte model. It's available Friday, February twenty eighth. Of course, when I get my hands on this thing, I will test it. I will give you my thoughts, but I think generally Apple is going to sell a lot of these phones. All right, coming up on the show, we are going to talk to you eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. If you want to read some more of my thoughts on the iPhone sixteen e go to my website rich on Tech dot TV.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple A rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Just talking to Adam who's in for Bobo today. He was like, what's the deal with the always on display? So, just so you know, the always on display pretty much keeps your iPhone screen on at all times, like it's showing information like your latest notifications, the time, your widgets, and he's saying, does not use a lot of battery, and it's because these displays can be brought down to a very low refresh rate, like they're adjustable that it doesn't use much battery at all. Like I remember when they finally introduced the always on display with the iPhone and people are like, oh, that's there, goes the battery. But no, they seem to hold up. So if you want that feature, by the way, you do have to go with the sixteen Pro Max. That's not on the standard sixteen. And again it's not on the sixteen e either. Eighty eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. If you want notes to anything that I talk about on the show, just go to Rich on tech dot TV hit the light Bulb. I do take very good notes and I post them all there. Let's go to Wayne in Irvine, California.
Speaker 2: Wayne, you're on with.
Speaker 3: Rich him Rich, I have a big problem to hear this week. A few days ago, my Facebook account was suspended and I got a message and say, your Facebook account was suspended because your Instagram account and it has an Instagram account name, does not follow our rules.
Speaker 4: And it's not my account.
Speaker 3: I guess I've been hacked and as a result, because it didn't follow their rules. Whatever they did, they shut down my whole Facebook account. How do I get it back?
Speaker 1: This is this is a major problem, Wayan, and you know, I feel for you, number one, because it's very frustrating because you can't really get a hold of someone at Facebook.
Speaker 2: So this happened to me, but it wasn't It was a mistake.
Speaker 1: I was not hacked, just I don't know if I was targeted whatever from Facebook, but I but I mind all of a sudden went away. And the way I got it back was I tweeted and of course people see me and you know whatever, they ended up getting it back somehow miraculously. But for the rest of you that have to deal with the standard process of Facebook, it is not easy. So number one, you got to go to Facebook dot com slash hacked, and that is the place to go to get your account back. The way that they are taking over these accounts is many, many ways. So if you have a week password, obviously that's an easy one. The second way is they find your password online through all these data leaks and hacks and things, and they just try a bunch of them Facebook. I mean, there are a couple of main websites out there right, Facebook, Instagram, x, Gmail, Yahoo, all of those accounts people are going to try when they find your user name and your password online. So if they find an email address that's got an email and a password, they're going to just go to these websites and try them. It's most of the time an automated system that's just trying many of them all at the same time. But sometimes they get in, like they did with your account. So once they get in, what are they doing? Why do they even want access to these accounts? They want access because these are legitimate accounts, And so all of a sudden, your account goes from sharing your puppy photos with your friends to now selling some crypto scam to your friends and texting all of them and saying, hey, I've got this great offer for you, and your friend is like, that's not typically like what Wayne is texting me, But I'll text them back because my friend Wayne. And then of course your friend realizes that it's not really you, it's a hacker, and the scam just continues and they it's a numbers game. So that's the number one place to go Facebook dot Com, slash hacked. It does take a while, you may get it back, you may not, but I know from experience it does take a long time. Now, the other thing people have had some success with is this thing called meta verified. So if you go through Facebook dot com slash hacked, you're not going to get a human right, You're just gonna go through an automated system over and over, keep trying. But meta verified you pay fifteen bucks a month to get verified, and then what happens when you pay that fifteen dollars a month. You now have access to a live human being who can help you get your account back. Now, we had this exact same issue last week, and I'm trying to find my feedback here where I put this in. But let's see she ended up. We had Alison and Newport Beach. She got our business Instagram account taken down for violations. She knew what was not true. I told her about the meta verified program. She emailed me after the show saying, oh MG, it worked, my account was back. Thanks so much for your help. I'm on the hook for eleven ninety nine a month through meta but I'm happy to be part of their protection plan. So she got her account back instant, I mean almost instantly after she did this, so I told her, I said, look, you probably don't have to pay forever. Just pay for the first month, get your account back, get it up and running, secure your account, and then you can stop paying. And here is the most important takeaway for not only you, Wane, but every single person that has an Instagram or a Facebook account. Lock down your account with two factor authentication. So Google Facebook, two factor authentication, Instagram two factor authentication. That is what you need to do. So what happens is even if someone gets into your account with your username and your password, once they try to log in, it is going to text you a code and they are not going to have that code because it's going to go to your cell phone or your email address, and the hacker is going to be foiled because they don't have it. And when you get that code, you go, oh ooh, that's a problem. Why am I getting this code randomly? It's because someone's trying to get into your account. So please the takeaway use strong passwords, unique passwords, two factor authentication. That is the best way to authenticate and keep your account safe. An authentication app is better than a text message.
Speaker 2: But I'll take the text message, all right, Coming up, we're going to talk to Titania Jordan of Bark.
Speaker 1: She's going to tell us how to keep kids safe online. My next guest is Titania Jordan. She's with Bark Technologies and a passionate advocate for keeping kids safe online. Her new book is called Parental Control. It teaches parents how to take back the reins and guide their kids toward a safer, healthier online experience. So you're with Bark Technologies, first off, tell me what Bark.
Speaker 2: Is all about.
Speaker 5: Sure, So, Bark helps keep kids safer online with our Safer smartphone for Kids, Safer smart watch for Kids, our app, our community. It's just it's been incredible to see the growth since twenty fifteen.
Speaker 1: What do you think kids and parents are up against on the Internet today, Well.
Speaker 5: Rich, you know just as much as I do about this, But for everybody watching and listening, it's a lot. Children are spending upwards of eight hours a day on connected tech. Their children, their parents have no frame of reference for these worlds like Snapchat and roadblocks and Minecraft, so parents are floundering. Kids are exposed to problematic content and people much younger than they should be, much more frequently than they should be, so it is truly a state of crisis.
Speaker 1: So when we hear these terms like Snapchat and roadblocks and all these other platform games and the things that kids are just doing and it's accepted shorts, are they really bad?
Speaker 6: Yes? Yeah? In short, yes, is everything bad all the time?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 5: But would you let it twelve year old drive a Lamborghini with no seat belt?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: Would you send a third grader into the woods to cut down a tree with a chainsaw?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 5: You know, there's really powerful tools that we all have at our disposal, smartphones and the Internet included, and when you give children unfiltered, unfettered, unmonitored access to the Internet, bad things are going to happen.
Speaker 6: It's the Internet.
Speaker 1: What do you think about the tools that tech companies themselves put out? Okay, I know it's a loaded questions, you know the answer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I will say the most promising parental controls that I have seen to date from any big tech company have been Instagram's teen accounts.
Speaker 6: Those are actually decent.
Speaker 5: Asterisk everything else that I have seen smoke and mirrors because the child can unlink it, or the parental controls aren't actually giving the parent any control or any meaningful insight.
Speaker 1: What are some of the worst offenders out there when it comes to what kids are exposed to on these platforms.
Speaker 2: Is it TikTok?
Speaker 1: Is it Instagram?
Speaker 2: Is it Roadblocks?
Speaker 6: If I have to.
Speaker 5: Pick one, like the number one top worst app for a child, including somebody under the age of eighteen an older teen, it's Snapchat.
Speaker 6: It's absolutely Snapchat, hands down.
Speaker 5: Snapchat was created for the whole premise of sending disappearing dudes right, not a place that kids need to be. It makes children think unrealistically that their photos and videos will disappear when we know that they are saved to a server or somebody else nearby can take a.
Speaker 6: Picture of it.
Speaker 5: It facilitates the sale and distribution of drugs that have fentanyl in it that have killed children. It creates too fomo and mental health issues. You know, if you're on snap maps, you see where all your friends are and you weren't invited.
Speaker 6: That does not feel good.
Speaker 1: And parents not blaming them, but I feel like they're busy, they don't understand all of the tools out there, and they just don't have the time, no to even get through what all of this means. So they let their kids. They hand the phone over, they hand the tablet, and the kids seem to be content.
Speaker 6: So is that where the problem occurs. That's a huge part of the problem.
Speaker 5: And anything that I am saying to you right now is not from a place of judgment. It's from a place of I have been there. My son is sixteen. I made all the mistakes. I let the iPad baby sit him, I let him have too much tech too soon, And I am pleading with you to please not make those same mistakes with your children, because it has very real physical and mental health ramifications.
Speaker 1: Tell me about the book, So why did you want to write a book and what do you hope to instill in the reader?
Speaker 5: I wrote this book because it's the book I wish I had Again. My son is sixteen, and starting when he was around three four five, I was faced with all of these issues around when to allow us access and seeing the problems it was causing with lighting up the pleasure shuner for his brain and him were responding in a way that I.
Speaker 6: Would never respond to my parents, you know, like wait what?
Speaker 5: And then I just started to realize and unpack all these things. And again I can't go back, but Hopefully those of you with younger children, or even children that are older, you have the opportunity to make a better choice today. And hopefully my book giving you the data for how to properly raise your child in this age when everything is completely nuts, can help you have a better relationship with your child, set your child up for success again physically, with more movement outside and mentally around just.
Speaker 6: Being a happier, more fulfilled human.
Speaker 5: If I had to give parents just one tip, right, maybe you don't like to read books, don't want to buy the book, that's totally fine, But I would say, and it's actually not one.
Speaker 6: I'm going to slip two in there. Two for one.
Speaker 5: One is just delay is the way you will not regret delaying giving your child access. And I can't claim responsibility for that quote. It comes from our friend Chris mckenn of protect young Eyes dot com. And then also just free tip, don't let your children have connected tech in the bedrooms behind closed doors overnight.
Speaker 6: You can avoid a lot of problems that way.
Speaker 1: Any warning signs parents should be aware of when their kids are either seeing too much, having too much, doing too much.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, you know when your child overreacts because you've said, okay, you've had enough. That's a clear warning sign that they are not able to self regulate. The tech is in control of them. They are not in control of the tech. So you have to work with them to help them understand that. Help them understand why there's a reason why they don't have unlimited access to a tub of ice cream at dinner, and there's a reason why they don't have unlimited access to Minecraft for seven hours on Saturday. You know warning signs that are even more severe and important to pay attention to anything involving sleep too much, not enough, diet too much, not enough grades? Are they dropping changes with friends and interest? There's an obviously normal amount of that as you grow, But if your child has completely withdrawn or seems agitated when certain people are around, just pay attention and trust your gut. We are given this gut feeling where we just we can sense something is off with your child. Do not be afraid to address it. And if your child won't talk to you, which is normal, that's okay. Don't be afraid to reach out to your child's pediatrician or school counselor, because unfortunately they are seeing a dramatic increase in issues with children, and they are best suited to help you address that.
Speaker 8: What was the.
Speaker 1: Biggest challenge you faced in writing the book? Any chapter that stands out to you, or any topic that you thought was really the most important.
Speaker 5: In this It was suggested to me that I share some of my personal stories growing up to help give the reader reference for why I do.
Speaker 6: This and why I care.
Speaker 5: So it was hard to talk about, you know, my childhood sexual abuse, or my own struggles with ideation and disorder eating. But I'm so thankful that I can share those things without shame, because that's how we help each other as by being real with each other. You know, I went on to have a very successful career and family, and I'm very happy and fulfilled and if I can overcome all of those things and be here with you today, like anyone can. So that was a challenge. And then also just the subtitle like how do you do this in a balanced way? You know, you can either give all the access and raise your hands up and say oh oh, or you can keep your kid in a bubble, have no internet and you know, live off the grid. Neither of those solutions work, So what is the right way the playbook, the task lisk for how to do this in a way that everybody is healthy and has balance.
Speaker 6: And that was hard.
Speaker 5: That was hard to land on because we are still figuring this out in real time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I guess my final question is can this be done? I mean, can parents have a good back and forth with their kids and their kids have a good relationship with tech?
Speaker 2: Is a possible?
Speaker 6: I really believe it is.
Speaker 5: I really believe it is because again tech is a tool, and our children can use the tech to create, to curate, to authentically connect with loved ones through FaceTime, you know, with Grandma who's across the country. We can use tech as a tool, but we have to remain in control of it. We have to have balance, and we have to be fully informed about things like addictive algorithms and misinformation. And is this an influencer? Is this just an organic post?
Speaker 6: You know? So we can?
Speaker 5: We absolutely can, And it starts with listening to Rich and I today and just just paying attention and those candid conversations with your children more frequently than you might think, and younger.
Speaker 6: Than you might think.
Speaker 1: Big thanks to Tatanya Jordan for joining me. Some great insights on how parents can help their kids navigate the online world. Her book Parental Control is available March eleventh. You can pre order it right now. It's definitely worth a read if you're looking to take charge of your.
Speaker 2: Child's digital life. I'll put a link on my website.
Speaker 1: On tech dot TV, more tech talk coming your way at triple eight. Rich one oh one, you are listening to Rich on tech. Let's go to Maureene in Burbank Marine. You're on with Rich.
Speaker 9: Hi, thank you for taking that call. I love your show.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 9: I have gotten for the past week, and I think I know what's wrong. Now your iCloud subscription has expired and it click to renew and then it gives you all these plans. So I got it like almost every day now. Today when I was waiting for you to come on the line, I krised it again and Rebroot came up and said, you know, don't do it in red and everything. So I'm assuming this is a prank.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these have been going around and this is well, I mean, there is some truth to it, right because iCloud is a very popular service on a lot of iPhones and people do run out of storage all the time, and so they do get messages from Apple that say, hey, you need to upgrade or else you're gonna run out of space. But what I've talked about in the past on this show is that every scam artist takes what we typically get and what we know to be true, and they put some sort.
Speaker 2: Of devious twist on it.
Speaker 1: Right, So they take that same message that we get that we need sometimes hey you run out of vicloud, and they make their own and it looks convincing. But and I think this is really interesting that your program popped into action and said, hey, this is a bad link, like don't click this link. And so that's really smart that you had that protection. So I like that. But yes, so I think what you've experienced is the fact that you got a bunch of emails that are bogus and they are trying to get you to click a link and to hand over personal information, and not just hand over personal information, but probably steal your Apple log in, because what happens is they will present you with a page that looks like an iCloud log in, you will log in, and next thing you know, as soon as you log in, something's not going to be right, and you're gonna go, that's kind of weird. But they capture that username and that password immediately, and they will take that and they will hack you as soon as they can. And the other thing about this is that this is why I talk about two factor authentication. Because let's say you clicked on that page, you ignore all the warnings, you log in with your Apple ID and your password, and they take it and they try to log in. What will happen is it will say, oh, okay, someone's trying to log in. Let's send Maureen a text with her two factor authentication. Hey, someone's logging in in some other random country in the world. Do you want to approve this log in? If so, yes, and here's the code to approve that login. You'll see that and you'll go, oh, I just did something really bad. So we have to be aware of these scams. We have to be aware that these scam artists pose in ways that look like stuff that should be happening, but it's not real. So always check the return email address. Always hover over the link on an email that you get and look and see what that link is bringing you to. Most of the time it's a website that is either completely off base or it's a website with a URL that looks like the real thing but is not.
Speaker 2: So be very very careful.
Speaker 1: Now I will tell you, Maureen, you had this software kind of pop in and it must be scanning the links that you click to make sure that they are valid. So I will put a note about this. This is why I like using Google Chrome over Safari on the iPhone. So Google Chrome has this thing called Enhanced Browsing protection, and so what they're doing is they're actually scanning. It's called enhanced Safe browsing. So generally they have safe browsing is the default. Enhanced is a little bit more. But what happens is when you're on Google Chrome, any link that you go to, Google is scanning that link to make sure it is not malware, It is not a virus, it is not a phishing link. And they're doing that based on all the other people that are surfing the web. They kind of notice when these links pop up, and so they'll put a big red screen between you and that link and say, hey, other people or we figure that this link is bad and you'll get that screen. Now that does not happen on Safari unfortunately so on your iPhone. And I've done this just the other day. I was testing some links and I clicked the same exact link on Chrome on the iPhone and Safari on the iPhone. Safari brought me right to it, No problem, go ahead, take you go there, Chrome said, huh, hold on, you might want to think twice before you click this link. So I would say that's a little bit of a reason why it's better to use Chrome on the iPhone than Safari, which is built and free from from Apple. Now, the flip side is that Google, I guess their payment for all of this protection is taking more of your personal information as you surf the web, because Google's entire business is collecting data about you and what you do and where you serf and what you search, and then selling that against advertising, whereas Apple does not do that. So you are a little bit more private in your information on Safari on the iPhone versus Chrome, but you're giving up when something like this happens, And something like this could actually be more detrimental than them knowing that you're looking for a mattress or a new cooler or whatever you're searching for it that they're selling ads against so.
Speaker 2: Good question, Maureen.
Speaker 1: Hopefully you have your pictures backed up in nycloud or wherever you're backing them up and they're safe and sound, but be careful. I actually posted this on my Instagram and this is If you're not following me on Instagram, please follow me on Instagram.
Speaker 2: This is what I do.
Speaker 1: I post all of the latest scams that are happening so that you are aware of them. And some of them seem just way too too unreal, like who would fall for this stuff? Like yesterday I posted one about this brushing scam? Have you heard about this?
Speaker 2: People?
Speaker 1: Literally scam artists will send random packages to your house. These packages will come to your door, it'll have something in there of nominal value pair, socks, whatever, and there will be a QR code on the package and you're like, that's weird, Why did I get this package? Let me scan this QR code for more information. And that QR code may take you to a fake Amazon site. It may take you to a fake whatever site to try to get you to log in. And what are they doing? They're stealing your credentials? Now is this happening a lot? I'm not sure?
Speaker 2: Is it happening.
Speaker 1: Yes, brushing has been going on forever where these The original way they were doing it is they would send you a package, you would scan the link or whatever, and you would review the product. You'd be like, oh, here's a free product, please review it on Amazon, and you say, oh, that's cool. But now they're doing this QR code. That's nefarious. So I posted that. I will tell you when I posted the iCloud warning that you were talking about, Maureen, this was a long time ago.
Speaker 2: Here it is.
Speaker 1: This was in January fourth. I posted about that and says immediate action required. Secure your iCloud account now before suspending iCloud subscription alert. And I explained why it's fake, and I said, look at the reply, look at the link when you hover over it update payment information.
Speaker 2: It's completely bogus.
Speaker 1: So again, if you're not following me on Instagram at rich on Tech, and you listening to a tech program like this, may say, rich come on, this stuff is like basic. But there are people out there, especially in your family, the less tech savvy folks, who may fall for this stuff. And that's why I share it to my Instagram so that you can share it to your Instagram stories and they can be alerted about it, or you can text them with it and say, hey, you know, just be.
Speaker 2: Aware of this.
Speaker 1: The more you are aware of these scams, the more you are just empowered to ignore them. And when you see them, you can spot them quickly. And that's what it's all about, all right about Facebook?
Speaker 2: Real quick?
Speaker 1: I got a message from uh let's see Summer said, hey, can you address Facebook's new policy on their intention to delete live videos after thirty days? Yes, starting February nineteenth, which is already passed, Facebook is going to automatically delete live video recordings thirty days after you live stream. So you can save your old videos by downloading them, sharing them as the reels, or transferring them. But if you have live videos older than thirty days, that's it. These are going away after ninety days. You can postpone an individual video by six months, but either save your live videos or they're going to go away. And in the future, if you have new ones, they're going away. Facebook says they're doing this because most people watch a live video within a couple weeks of it going live. Now, you know eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two.
Speaker 2: Four one zero one. Welcome back to rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight Rich one oh one.
Speaker 2: That's eight eight eight.
Speaker 1: Seven four two four one zero one. The website for the show rich on Tech dot tv. If you want to send me an email, you can do it right there. If you want to submit your question that way. While you're there, be sure to sign up for my free newsletter. New issue went out this weekend, so be sure to read that all about the iPhone sixteen E. Speaking of Apple, coming up this hour, we've got Brandon Butch, tech YouTuber and writer at the Apple Den. He's going to talk about all things Apple this week, all the little announcements that they had. So we'll get on the line with him and talk big breakthrough this week from Microsoft. Now, this goes way over my head. It's quantum computing, but it seems like a big deal. This is a new chip, the Mayorana one. This is a groundbreaking quantum chip powered by a new material who invents a new material topo conductor. They say it's the biggest breakthrough in computing materials since silicon. The topo conductor, topological semic superconductor is not a solid liquid or gas. It's a new state of matter that scientists have theorized for about one hundred years, but hadn't achieved it until now. My friend I Justine, did a great video. She went up to Microsoft and did a video on this thing. And apparently this this new chip they made to work has to be in like a space that is colder than outer space, like in this kind of they put it in this chamber just to work. That's how wild this stuff is. So the main thing about this material is that a could drastically speed up quantum computing development, so cutting timelines from decades.
Speaker 2: To just a few years.
Speaker 1: And that means that these chips are so incredibly powerful they can solve complex problems faster, so things like energy, healthcare, and vironmental cleanup. So things like self healing materials, sustainable agriculture, advance chemical discoveries. Because they can compute this stuff so much faster, the timeline for figuring out these solutions is quicker. Now this is all theoretical at this point. I mean they came up with this chip and the material, but now they actually have to somehow use it, and so I think that's the next step here, but pretty wild the topoconductor based cubits cubits are with quantum bits. They are so small, one to one hundredth of a millimeter. I mean, I don't get It's like, how do you even think about this stuff? We're talking about things you can't even see.
Speaker 2: Now, here's the whole thing with quantum computing.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of errors apparently in the quantum computing realm because of the way that these chips are designed. So when they're coming up with the calculations, apparently they have a lot of mistakes. And so the big thing that they've been trying to figure out is how to make less mistakes. And I guess Microsoft's breakthrough has much more error resistance and digital control for better performance. So it just sounds wild. I'm excited just because anything with these breakthroughs.
Speaker 2: We had Google.
Speaker 1: I talked about a breakthrough in quantum computing with Google a couple of weeks ago or a couple of months ago, and now we've got Microsoft. So again, the timeline for all of this stuff just continues to accelerate, and I'm here for it. Very very exciting. Let's go to Mark in Los Angeles, Mark, you're on with Rich Rich you excited about quantum computing.
Speaker 4: Mark, I'm very excited about it. Maybe it'll solve my problems. I have two R low camera systems. I've had them for years and with the old app they've been great. I had to upgrade to the new app and the new app is just terrible and difficult and very complicated. I can't set the same schedules and alerts I do. Haven't paid subscription. However, the real problem, as I called Arlow customer service in India. I've spent hours on the phone with different people and they can't figure it out either. Well, that's a problem, don't know, you know, it's just too complicated. When I ask a question, they put me on a long hold and they come back with an answer that I know that they don't really understand. My question is is there a way to get back to the old app? They said no? Or is there a way to contact Arlow someone in the US to get like real answers like how do I make this all work?
Speaker 1: Well, the second question is a good one. I will reach out to Arlow and see what they say. But I think that have you asked for like an elevated customer service supervisor.
Speaker 2: Have you done that?
Speaker 4: Yes? And and someone is supposed to call me. They haven't yet, but I mean, you know, I think they probably will, but everybody, I mean, this is really it's kind of like the Saunos app. They've come up with a new app.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, Mark, don't get me started on it. I oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: I've had Sonos for since almost since day one, and my system I I can't. I used to not be able to speak high enough about Sonos. Now I don't think I could ever recommend it to someone because it's so terrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the app.
Speaker 1: I still cannot adjust the volume on all of my speakers at the same time.
Speaker 2: That is that is insane to me. This is something that is like, this is.
Speaker 4: Almost like the same thing.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 4: They have told me I do have two different locations, which was never a problem. One of the people said, well, maybe you have to get it by a second subscription, and I said, well I never had to before. And if that's the the the the goal of the new app is just to make more money, you know. One that's not very It doesn't make me happy, but it should have been disclosed that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So okay, so the main system, so your system doesn't do what it used to do anymore.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 1: Okay, now when it comes to the app. Now, I don't know how much. When did they update this app.
Speaker 4: It's like a couple of weeks ago. I think it's pretty recent.
Speaker 2: Do you have an Android or an iPhone?
Speaker 4: iPhone?
Speaker 1: Okay, well that's a problem. So so on Android, you you can go to websites called APK websites that will give you the actual old versions of apps. So in this case, if you wanted to go download the r low Secure from you know, a couple months ago, you might be able to find it on this like an APK website. There's one example is called APK mirror. Now, you got to be careful, and I'm talking to Android folks right now, because if you're downloading apk's that is, there could be room for viruses, malware, spyware, so you do have to be careful. But a lot of times Google will scan them. You know, in this the website that you're getting it from, as long as it's reputable, will scan it as well. So I'm just saying, proceed at your own risk. With I phone, that is not possible once iPhone upgrades, there's really no way to go back.
Speaker 2: There is not a system to do that.
Speaker 1: So for you, Mark, the problem is, how do you get these things to do what you need them to do, and what do you need them to do that they're not doing.
Speaker 4: It just to have two different systems, both easily accessible and to go ahead and set different schedules and alerts for both for either system.
Speaker 2: But they're in different locations.
Speaker 4: They are, But that was never ever a problem with the old app.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I mean so that I don't I don't know because I don't use our low so I don't really know why that changed. But I can understand that if you're looking trying to think, like with my standard camera. So if they're on two different Wi Fi networks, is that what I'm hearing here?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think that is.
Speaker 1: They probably said, like, look, if something's on one Wi Fi network, you can't manage it from the same place because you're gonna have to just to log in separately for each network. Now or do they all show up on the same app? They just you just can't control them.
Speaker 4: They all show up on the same app. But but you just now one of them no longer records and one of them can't be set and in general before actually that, the the app itself is just terrible in just in terms of how you you know, have to now do a very complicated setup what used to be a very easy thing. I just hate to have to buy another subscription when before I didn't have to. But but but I'm not sure that that's actually going to solve the problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean, so what do you what do you need the subscription for for? What do you use that for?
Speaker 4: Uh, it's it's to record and uh, you know, to record any kind of camera alert camera video and it gives you your really good alerts. And you know, I don't mind paying for It's always functioned really well.
Speaker 1: Have you searched online for the r low app update? Are there people complaining about this?
Speaker 4: I went on the community. Yes they are complaining.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm looking at Reddit right now. There's a Do you know about the website Reddit Answers No? Yeah, so I just searched. Reddit Answers is sort of like they're you know Reddit, right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, so Reddit Answers is sort of like their AI, and so it searches through all of the reddit forms without you having to.
Speaker 2: Do it and summarizes it.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, people are definitely having issues with motion detection, geo fencing, and scheduling the user interface. People are threatening to switch to different brands. Some people have found partial solutions by tweaking settings like motion sensitivity and redefining activity zones and third party solutions interesting. Seymour By prompt ai, I can't. I don't know if I would recommend that, but yeah, it sounds like Mark, the issues you're having are not unique to you. The best I can say is I will reach out to r Low and see what they kind of say if this is a more recent update, which just sounds like it is. Maybe they're still polishing things, But I would say my instinct is telling me that if you're saying it's tougher to manage the two different locations because of the subscription situation, it's probably because they want to push you to subscribe in more ways. And that's really and this is the sad part about all of the tech companies at this point is it used to be technology was unifying and empowering for the consumer, and now we are seeing a shift towards benefiting the company first, and that's always an issue and all these and it's all because of subscriptions. Once these companies got an idea that, by the way, we're not going to sell you a box of software once, we are now going to have you subscribe every month for the rest of your life. Why would you not want that? And so it seems like every improvement quote unquote improvement we've seen with tech has always been pushing consumers towards that subscription for the stuff they really want. I think that might be what's going on here. Hopefully the app will get better over time. Eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, I'll tell you about Google's new AI tool that helps you discover your next career. And Google's bringing one of their best Android features to iOS kind of sorta. I'll explain you are listening to rich on tech. Jace writes in on X Hey rich on Tech. I'm a visually impaired person and the home button on the iPhone is something I strongly value. With the sixteen E, it will take a lot of getting used to for me, and I would prefer still having my home button. I used to se three at the moment. Yeah, you know, that is an interesting point, so it will take some getting used to.
Speaker 2: I think that you'll be able to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's going to be interesting, but it's it's good to have different perspectives. And Jase, thanks for that. Appreciate you writing in on that Google couple notable items. First off, Google is bringing one of their best features from Android to iPhone, but kindness sort is not going to work in the same way.
Speaker 2: If you've listened to me at all, you've heard me extol.
Speaker 1: The praises of Circle to Search on Android. I think this is the differentiator right now between Android and iPhone because anything on your screen on Android you can search, you can reverse search, you can circle whatever you need, you can search it.
Speaker 2: On iPhone you can't really do that.
Speaker 1: So there's times when someone posts a restaurant or a link or a phone number, whatever, and if it's not like something that is clickable, you can't do anything with it.
Speaker 2: But on Android you can.
Speaker 1: You just bring up Circle to Search and it will find the links, it will find the phone numbers, it will search the images, it will search the whatever you want, text translate things.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's quite miraculous. So anyway, in.
Speaker 1: iPhone there now bringing similar functionality, not calling it Circle to Search, but they're calling it Search Screen with Google Lens. And so if you want to try this out, this is on Chrome or the Google App. You don't have to screenshot anything. So in Chrome, tap the three dot menu and then selects Search screen with Google Lens. And in the Google App you can tap the three dot menu and choose search this screen. Uh So, it's not perfect, but it's a little bit better. And it's basically being billed as Google Lens but in a different way. But it's only going to work inside Chrome, which is fine if you're using Chrome as your browser and Google App, which is fine. It's a start, but the fact that this works across anything on Android is pretty incredible. And then Google launched a new tool called Career Dreamer. This is an AI powered tool from a grow with Google that basically lets you explore potential career paths based on your skills and also your background and your interests. So if you're in there thinking, gosh, I really kind of want a new job. Whatever I'm doing is not really working. But I've been a professor for twenty years and I want to try something new.
Speaker 2: Well, this tool basically has you go through a series of.
Speaker 1: Prompts saying, Okay, what are your skills, what's your current classification, what are your skills, what do you like to do, what's your background? And then it will come up with things, thanks to AI, that you may be good for. And it taps into job market data, so it's like basically finding stuff that is not a dead end, stuff that's growing, based on the Bureau of Labor Statistics and also job market data from light Cast. It can also help you make a resume a cover letter, but kind of cool if you want to try it out grow dot Google slash career Dreamer, grow dot Google slash career Dreamer and pop in your skills. See where you can go. I should have done this. I should have done this to see what it comes up with for me. That'd be fun. Let's see here.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Patrick in reading Patrick kay, uh, you're on with Rich?
Speaker 7: Hello Rich? Hey, I have ways wise security systems Okay, and I I bought two or one.
Speaker 2: I've got a heart out here, so I need a question real quick here, Sorry.
Speaker 7: I have I want to know how to connect two new cameras, but none necessarily Wise cameras. They can pan okay, because the Wise three pan doesn't have night vision, they can't fix it.
Speaker 2: So you want to connect them to what the Wise app?
Speaker 7: Or no, actually a separate app. Is there an app that I can connect Wise cameras to end it can be the cheap camera.
Speaker 2: No, you gotta you gotta use the separate apps.
Speaker 1: The only thing you could do possibly is bring them into something like Google Home app. You might be able to monitor several of them from there. But as far as I know, I've got a couple different cameras in my house and they're all on different apps. So if I want to look at I can look at the cameras from let's see here, I can look at all of my let's see here, Yeah, I can look at them. Let's see those are all Nest cams. Yeah, so it looks like you have to Yeah, you may be able to link them up through the the Google Home app to view them, but your best bet, Patrick is just going to be to use the separate apps, because you're going to get the the full uh, you know, the full features of all these different cameras through their own apps, their own respective apps. So, as far as I know, you can't just mix and match into one place. But uh, you know, it's it's these these companies are building silos, right. They want you to use their app, they want you to have a subscription, they want you to have all the same thing. And I think that yes, you'll be able to do some of the functionality through the Google Home app if you have that per se, or maybe through the you know, the Home Kit, the Home on iOS, but I think for the most part you're gonna have to.
Speaker 2: Be stuck with the separate apps.
Speaker 1: Coming up, we're gonna talk to Brandon Butch of the Apple Den about all announcements from Apple this week. Right here on rich on Tech, We've got Brandon Butch here, tech YouTuber and writer at the Apple Den. Welcome to the show, Brandon, Thanks for having me, Thanks for being here. So I'm here. I'm I'm here in a little echo here for some reason.
Speaker 2: So let's talk. First off, explain what you do.
Speaker 1: I met you at this Samsung event up in San Francisco and we hit it off. We were chatting and you know, learned about what you do. But tell me what you do exactly.
Speaker 10: Yeah, pretty ironic that we met at a Samsung event. I mostly do Apple content, so I've been doing that since two thousand and eight on YouTube, and I have a newsletter as well called the Apple Den where I write about Apple news every week, and that's just been my thing for a long time. Covered the iPhones, the software, pretty much anything to do with Apple products.
Speaker 1: So Apple big announcement this week obviously the new iPhone sixteen E.
Speaker 2: Uh what do you make of that?
Speaker 10: Yeah, So that was kind of a surprise because I think everybody went in expecting an SE four you know, kind of a continuation of the cheap budget model. So when Apple announced the price at five ninety nine, it was a little bit more than people are expecting. But I think we also got more than people are expecting with the sixteen E.
Speaker 8: So it's the first ever, you know, E model from Apple.
Speaker 10: And I personally view this more like an iPhone ten R from twenty eighteen compared to like an iPhone SE, So I don't really view it as an SE equivalent. It kind of is, but I view it more like the ten R because it has a lot of the you know iPhone fourteen design language with a lot of the more modern iPhone sixteen features, like you know, Apple Intelligence, which I think is a big deal, the action button, the O lead display is a big one because the iPhone ten R back in the day, the big you know drawback with that was the LCD display. So yeah, I think the sixteen E. It's priced at five ninety nine, it's two hundred dollars cheaper than the regular sixteen. It is missing some of the more advanced features, but I think this is targeted to people who just want to go into the Apple store. You know, hey, what's the cheapest iPhone you have? It's going to last me all day battery life. When they say five ninety nine, it's two hundred dollars cheaper than you know, the sixteen, but it still has the sixteen name in it. It's an easy sale.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that.
Speaker 1: That was my kind of thesis at the top of the show is that I think Apple is going to sell a ton of these.
Speaker 8: I think so too.
Speaker 10: I mean, if you look back at the iPhone ten R that was you know, everybody made fun of the iPhone ten R when that phone came out, you know, back in the day, and that.
Speaker 8: Sold extremely well for Apple.
Speaker 10: So I kind of view this as going down a more similar path to the as the iPhone ten R compared to like maybe the previous se models.
Speaker 1: What about this whole modem. I mean, they've got like an Apple built modem. I know, it was a big deal when Apple shifted away from the Intel chips and their computers to their own, and that's just been fantastic. Their computers have been so good ever since they did that. Is this bad for Qualcom?
Speaker 10: I think it is bad for Qualcom if you're you know, maybe an investor, But I think it's great news for Apple iPhones, especially moving forward. Maybe it'll show up in other things as well, but iPhones especially. I mean, we saw the big difference that makes just in battery efficiency for the first generation of this C one chip.
Speaker 8: So it's the C one modem.
Speaker 10: That's what it's called inside, and you know, eventually it's so it doesn't have millimeter wave, it doesn't have the super fast five G speeds just yet. But you know, most people, especially buying a base model iPhone, are not going to care or even know what that means.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, hold on, so explain that again, because I was I've seen that Apple keeps saying this is a five G modem. So first off, the phone will support four G right, correct, Okay, but it's not going to have that ultra wideband so like the like on Verizon. Let's say, when you get into those likely fast speeds when you get into a UW section or on T Mobile, I think they call it like UC so, will it not support those?
Speaker 10: Correct, Yes, it will not support those. That's called millimeter wave, and that's you know, one of Qualcomm's main benefits. So that's gonna mostly be and like you're really populated cities New York, California, like in the city, if you're in a more rural area, it's not gonna you probably never have seen that before on your phone.
Speaker 1: So oh when I see that, Brandon, I'm like, I'm literally like downloading all of Netflix. When I see that, I'm like, all right, baby, let's down. Let's do whatever we can to take advantage of this speed because some I mean I I think I've gotten like really really fast, like faster than home on some of those. Okay, so the sixteeny anything else that you think is notable that we should talk about with this device.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think one of the main things that I you know, quickly picked up on and a lot of people have mentioned this as well, is that there's no mag Safe support, so the magnets in the back. You know, a lot of people have the mag Safe wallets that they just stick on to the back their phone. That's not in the iPhone sixteen E. So that's a big drawback for a lot of people. Also for the wireless charging, you can wirelessly charge the sixteen e, but it does not support mag Safe, which enables faster wireless charging. So that's not the big deal. I think a lot of people are kind of upset that they can't use maybe their accessories that they had. However, you can buy cases with magnets in it, so it's not a complete lost cause it's just not in the phone itself.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And the other thing is the face ID. You know, of course on my Facebook page, you know where rumored speculation runs rampant. People commented, oh we face ID is you know your face biometrics are instantly sent to the cloud. Now I know that not to be true because it's stored on device, but just can you go over fact, like what the difference is between face ID and the touch ID is it as secure.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think it's more secure because touch ID, you know, you can take somebody's finger. If somebody were to do something crazy and you know, have your finger without you knowing, they can unlock your phone, whereas face ID there's a setting where you have to be actually have your eyes open and looking at the camera, So if you were knocked out or something and somebody couldn't just put the phone up to your face and unlock it. So I think face ID is a lot more secure than touch ID.
Speaker 1: So the other headline that of course a lot of people are sharing online is this whole cloud encryption change in the UK. Right, so Apple has this setting where they can you can super encrypt anything that you send to the cloud that nobody can tap into and out. Now they're getting rid of that in the UK, not in the US, just in the UK. Does that mean that Apple's looking at your stuff and the government's looking at your stuff?
Speaker 2: And how big of a deal do you think that is?
Speaker 10: Yeah, So just a little backstory here real quick. So, so the UK government basically demanded Apple to create a backdoor to allow the government to in view to view that encrypted user data globally. So they were trying to pitch a back door that would allow the government to view everybody's data, including those in the US. So Apple of course denied creating that backdoor, and instead they just decided to pool the end to end encryption for iCloud storage in the UK, which is called Advanced Data Protection. So basically, now British user files like the iCloud backup files will be accessible to Apple, so they'll be able to be shared with law enforcement if they have a warrant, things like that. Now, I do not see this happening in the US whatsoever. The UK has been you know, pushing back against end end encryption for years now for some reason, so this is kind of bound to happen at some point.
Speaker 8: But yeah, I don't see this happening in the US at all.
Speaker 1: How long before Apple just says, you know what, UK, We're now longer going to do business here. I mean, they're changing every aspect of how Apple wants to do business when it comes to privacy and security by opening up the phone. You know, they made them change to USBC, which I do like. But still, you know, they opened up the app store, the payment method is like all this stuff that's just like a thorn and apple side. How much more can they deal with before they just say, you know what, Europeans, you can't have the iPhone.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, it's such a big market for them that I don't see that happening. I think they'll continue to, like, you know, maybe remove features and things like this to kind of, you know, find a middle ground. But the thing is a lot of these EU changes where a lot of people are against it at first, but now fast forward years later, most people are kind of happy, you know that they kind of forced Apples hand and doing things like USBC and some of the other ones. This is the first one that I think, just globally is just like a bad idea for them, like to even pitch in the first place.
Speaker 1: Okay, we've got about a minute left, so I'm going to leave it to you. Is there any other I sent you a whole bunch of topics that I wanted to touch upon. Is there anything else that you want to touch upon that you know we haven't yet?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean Vision US two point four. I know there's probably twelve people out there with an Apple Vision pro right now, but you know, Vision of US two point four is a massive software update that's going to bring a lot of big features to the Vision Pro, things like Apple Intelligence supports a companion app for the iPhone, kind of like with the Apple Watch. So you're gonna have an app on your phone where you can have an improved guest mode. You can kind of see what the person is seeing in the Vision Pro from your iPhone via airplay, which is really cool. So I just think it's gonna Apple's gonna continue working on the Vision Pro despite the you know, not very many sales of that, They're still continuing to build it out.
Speaker 8: You have to be something great, will there be?
Speaker 2: I mean, is there a future for the Vision Pro.
Speaker 8: I think there is. I think we're still ways away.
Speaker 10: I think the weights and obviously just the infrastructure, it's still in its infancy. We're only on the second version. Ever, It's like going back to iPhone when it was iPhone OS two. We're now on eighteen, you know, sixteen years later, so I kind of see it following a similar path where it's going to take quite some time.
Speaker 2: All Right, Brandon Butch, thanks for joining me today.
Speaker 8: Thank you appreciate it, all right, follow him.
Speaker 1: The Appleden dot com, The Appleden dot com. He's got a newsletter, he's got information. He's also on YouTube, so find him. Brandon Butch, great source of Apple information. Appreciate you being on the show today. Link on my website. Rich on tech dot TV. Coming up, we'll take more of your calls at Triple eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one, and I'm going to tell you the app you have to get on your phone if you want your pictures to look their best, especially if you post them to social media. This is rich on Tech. Did a segment this week. You know, I'm also on TV on KTLA five in Los Angeles, so I do TV segments, so you can watch those on YouTube, also on my website. But this week I talked to Jefferson Graham. He's a friend of the show. He's been on a bunch. He was a tech journalist at USA Today for many years now. He has a show called Photo Walks TV, and he shared some of his top photography tips and number one start out. I know these sounds simple, but you'd be surprised. Charge your phone, clear out your storage. Two things I know seems like a given, but I've seen I've been at the plays and the recitals for my kids, the holiday shows, and I've watched the phone's in front of me with that dreaded screen that says boop, you're out of storage, and people are sitting there scrambling to delete things out of your phone. And by the way, if that happens to you, the easiest thing to delete a couple of large videos.
Speaker 2: He also says, clean your lens. This is a big one.
Speaker 1: You have no idea how many people say, hey, rich or they just come up to me, hey, can you take a picture? You know, you're at a restaurant or something, and you know, you go to take a picture with their phone, and it's like the smudgiest, looks like there's vasoline on the lens. So the first thing you gotta do is clean your lens.
Speaker 2: He also likes the iPhone.
Speaker 1: After you know, trying shooting with the iPhone Samsung Pixel, he actually prefers the iPhone for its natural colors. And then he mentioned a couple of apps that he likes. Number one, Adobe light Room Mobile. I said, well, doesn't that have a subscription. No, you can use a lot of the features without subscribing, So I downloaded that Adobe light Room mobile. He likes this de haze tool, so it makes the skies look better. So you take a sky and it just you kind of use that the haze tool and it just kind of brings out the sky, makes it look a lot better. He also likes the black Magic Camera app for taking time lapses. He says that the iPhone sort of doesn't let you change any of the settings with time lapses. I think he says, they'd limit them to it like thirty seconds. But if you get one of these apps, a third party app like black Magic, you can.
Speaker 2: Do whatever you want with your time lapses.
Speaker 1: And then he likes the Halid app, which has an anti AI mode, So if you want to take a photo without any AI, Halid will let you do it. There's also another one called Zerocam, which I think you have to pay ten dollars. I think I paid for that, but you have to It takes pictures without any AI. So that's called zero Cam. He didn't mention that. I'm mentioning that. But the app that if you download one thing that I'm talking about, it's called Radiant Photo. Our adat Radiant Photo. Again, all these apps are like freemium. You download them. They want you to pay, but you don't really have to. You can get a lot of the functionality. But this Radiant Photo I'm not kidding. I'm hesitant to even share it because I feel like it's my secret weapon. It literally perfects your photo with not even a tap. You know, all you have to do is put the photo into it and it will just automatically look at the scene, sense what you're trying to show, and it will just perfect it. Like if it's someone's face, if it's a portrait photo, if it's a landscape, it just somehow does a really nice job of identifying what that picture is and making it better. So Radiant Photo iOS Android. Yes, they may try to get you to subscribe or pay, but you don't have to. I've been using it for six months, no payment, and it's worked every time. I basically any picture that I upload to social media, I'll just put in there and just kind of one tap and it's perfect.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Randy. Randy, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 11: Hi Rich, I enjoy your show.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you well, I enjoy doing it.
Speaker 11: I'm not super tech savvy, but I wanted to ask your opinion, if you could just keep it as basic language as possible. I have an iPhone eleven and I deleted a video about a year ago, and I regret doing that. And I've struggled and agonized over finding apps that will recover deleted and lost photos and videos, and I'm just totally dumbfounded by them. I did look in my iPhone backup. It's gone. There is there any specific app that you would recommend that would do the job, or is it permanently gone?
Speaker 1: A video on the iPhone that you deleted a year ago, it is gone. So I hate to say that, but there are there's not an app that can bring it back on the iPhone, let's put it that way. But are there some avenues that you can explore? So Number one, did you have this backed up in any way, shape or form to any app?
Speaker 11: No other than the iCloud. I'm not even sure if.
Speaker 1: It was, well, it wasn't back it was not, okay search. What about a backup of your phone? Did you ever have a backup of your phone?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: No, okay.
Speaker 1: So with those two things, so there's a couple of ways that you know a photo could be still around. Number one, when you delete a picture on your iPhone, it does linger for about thirty days in a special folder. And I'm sure you've checked this, but it's called recently deleted. Have you seen that one?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, So with the latest iOS, they did add a feature where you have to authorize your phone before you can look at it. But on my phone, it's showing me, yeah, twenty nine days until it deletes the last photo, and it gives you a little countdown for each picture.
Speaker 2: So that's the first place to look.
Speaker 1: And Randy, even though you may not be able to get this back sadly, I am just going to go through these these suggestions so that if someone is dealing with something similar, maybe they deleted a photo by accident, these are the places they could potentially look. So that's number one, the recently deleted, and both iPhone and Android have a version of that, So that's the first place to check. The second place is an online backup. So I always recommend that you back up your photos. I understand for privacy concerns or other reasons, you may not want to do that, but I always recommend doing that. That could be through iCloud, that could be through Google Photos, that could be through one drive, it could be through iedrive. I mean, there's so many different ways of backing up. If you're an Amazon Photo, if you're an Amazon Prime member, they offer free unlimited photo backup at full resolution for their Prime members. Now as long as you're paying for Prime, right even if you stop paying, they'll give you a.
Speaker 2: Certain amount of time to download it.
Speaker 1: So those are little avenues to backup photos if you don't want to pay a lot. The other place to look is a full phone backup. So when you back up your phone, it you know, if you have an iPhone, it's backing up to iCloud like the entire phone. Even if you have iCloud photos turned off, it's still backing up a copy of your entire phone to the cloud.
Speaker 2: So you may be able to go in there use a program like I.
Speaker 1: Amazing to extract that photo out of that backup, or you can restore that backup to another iPhone or your or your current iPhone and get that photo back. The other place to look, of course is iCloud. And if you're wondering like okay, this is on my phone?
Speaker 2: Is it not on my phone?
Speaker 1: You can always go to iCloud dot com and check to see if the picture is there.
Speaker 2: But those are the avenues, Randy.
Speaker 1: There is not a way to find that video that I know of, unless someone emails me something different that's been deleted a year ago. Because after a year, you know, no matter what, that thing is pretty much gone. The only thing I can think of is if it's something important in the future, you can upload it to YouTube as a private video for free. Dropbox gives you two gigs of storage. I believe for free. Most of the main service providers will give you a couple of gigs of storage completely free. I'm sorry this happened to you. Please back up your photos or put something that you need to keep in a safe place. Eight and eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one more rich on Tech.
Speaker 2: Come your way after this.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology. Oh we got a whole nother hour here. Yeah, uh coming up this hour, Facundo holds my stir from how two men. We'll talk about some cool hidden Android apps. Get ready for some must download recommendations. Yes, he does a great job with these. Every every time I watch every month he's got a YouTube video with like all these like android apps. I'm like, all right, let's see what he's got this month. There's always like a couple of them on there that I download immediately because they're so good. So he's going to join us in a little bit to talk about that. Uh, we'll get to the phone lines in just a second. I see there, holding on, We'll get back to those. But I did want to tell you real quick about the Google TV app. So I don't know about you, but I'm I'm always trying to like get a hold of all the things that are on streaming. I subscribe to like ten thousand different services, and it's when you sit down to actually watch something, you're like, now, what to watch, and you're jumping through every single app trying to see what's new.
Speaker 2: It's a whole thing.
Speaker 1: And so I've tried all the different apps to kind of keep track of the different shows, and they're all good in different reasons.
Speaker 2: You know, you've got like.
Speaker 1: Real good, ore eel good, You've got just watched Those are probably two of the most popular. Then there's Letterboxed, which is just for movies, and then you've got Google TV and then Apple TV, those two apps that can also keep a watch list. Now, I'll tell you why I've kind of come to love the Google TV watch list. It's because I don't know, I think it's like the best. Now, Basically, if you download the app, which is available for iPhone or Android, anytime you are on Google, you just search for a movie, right, so let's search for Paddington, the new one, Paddington in Peru. So if you search for a movie, you might have noticed it says want to watch or already watched. So that's how you add things to your list. You just say want to watch and boom, it will add it to this app. You can also do it inside the app, but once you have it, now you have your watch list. So I've got all these movies on my watch list, and what I like about it. You've got a couple toggles. You've got movies and then shows.
Speaker 8: You can just.
Speaker 2: Sort that way.
Speaker 1: But then you also have free so you tap that and it will tell you the stuff that's streaming for free on your services that you subscribe to. So you go into the settings of the app and you say, yeah, I've got Amazon Prime, I've got Hulu, I've got you know whatever, Disney Plus, and it will show you just the movies on your watch list that are streaming quote unquote free. Now, it's funny that they use the word free because it's not free technically, but that's what I always say, like, oh, we got a free movie tonight, because I'm paying for Prime Video.
Speaker 2: We just watch something that's free.
Speaker 1: Now, I would say the preferred way of describing it is streaming included in your services, right, but they use the toggle free, which I think is smart. So anyway, the other thing I like about it is you can see immediately when you look at the video or you look at your watch list, it says where it's streaming right underneath it. And then it also gives you the Rotten Tomatoes rating. I know that's become like the gold standard for everything. So if you go into the movie, you can get more information. You got your watch list. You can like it, you can dislike it. It's got all the different ratings. You've got common Sense media, you've got IMDb, Rotten Tomatoes, metacritics. You can kind of cross reference, depending on you know, is it important what the common Sense rating is versus IMDb whatever you like, it's on there, and it also has related movies. It's got stories about the movie, and of course it tells you where you can watch it, so some of these things you can watch on different services. It'll tell you all the different services that it's on. So I think it's like one of the best apps out there. Whether you're on Android or iPhone, it works equally well. If you happen to have a TV with Google TV software, it integrates really nicely, just like Apple TV. He does on Apple TV. But the problem with the Apple TV app if you use that as your watch list. A it's proprietary, which you know I don't like. But b nothing on Netflix is included. So if there's like a Netflix show, it's not gonna you're not gonna be able to watch list it on your Apple TV app. Let's see if Netflix is on here. Hold on, let me just make sure before I say this. Uh yeah it is. Netflix is included on here as well. So although it's interesting, it says that title is not currently available, so you can watch list it, but.
Speaker 2: It may not interesting. Tell yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe it does work with Netflix in like a weird way, but it's on there anyway, if you're looking for a way to keep track of all your streaming stuff, Google TV app, download it iOS Android. I'm finding it very, very handy, and the only thing I don't like is that you can't sort your list in any way, shape or form. So the other one's like real good and just watch. Lets you sort your list by rating time, you know, genre title. You can't do any of that here. There's no sorting on this list except for movies, shows, and free. That's it. So it's all limited in that way. Let's go to Mark and Wineka Mark, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I'd like to preface by saying I'm bit of a browser freak. I have five of them permanently on my task bar here. I've noticed over the last year plus that a lot of the financial companies airlines, banks, etc. Are pushing us into the Chrome.
Speaker 4: Browser over others.
Speaker 12: I love the slim browser and the Firefox is my favorite. The so customizable Brave is a good one as well. But do you have any thoughts on that, Rich, It seems like there's a concerted effort to push us into the Chrome browser, sir.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I think this comes down to it comes down to market share. So let's see, let's see web browser. Let's just see if we can market share twenty twenty four. So let's just see what the mark shares of the various web browsers. So with anything else, it comes down to, you know, these companies have to maintain a certain level of privacy, security updates that work with various browsers. And so if we look at desktop, Chrome is sixty six percent, followed by Edge at twelve percent, followed by Safari at nine percent. Yeah, so when you look at that, Opera and Firefox have two percent and three percent worldwide, that's pretty small. So if you are a bank, your Chase Bank, you are American Express, you are email companies, whatever, what are you optimizing for? You are optimizing for the market leader. And I think that's why we're seeing this emphasis on Chrome, because it is it commands such a lead.
Speaker 2: So I'm not saying that Firefox is bad.
Speaker 1: I think that Firefox and many ways is interesting because they've been promoting more of a fair and open web and more privacy.
Speaker 2: And you know, this is a company that.
Speaker 1: I think, from what I'm reading on the history, this was born out of Netscape. So It's got deep roots in the web community. But it reminds me of the days of Internet Explorer, when that was king of the Internet, and you would go to a website and it would say, sorry, this website is optimized for Internet Explorer, and you'd be like, really, I'm using you know, this was when Chrome first started.
Speaker 2: You'd be like, wait, really, come on, I'm using Chrome.
Speaker 1: And so you didn't get certain functionality because of that, And we see this on mobile. If you look at mobile now, this is interesting. It says for mobile devices, Chrome leads with sixty eight percent, Safari follows at twenty three percent. Now, I'll be honest, the only reason Safari has any percentage like that is because the iPhone is so popular and Safari for many many years was the only default you could have on the iPhone, so people just use that because of it. Now you can set Chrome as a default. But also Android has such a large market share worldwide that that makes sense why Chrome is is almost seventy percent of the mobile share. But again, Mark, it really comes down to the fact that companies want to make life easy for themselves, and if seventy percent of people are using Chrome, then they're going to optimize their websites and security features for Chrome. And you know, I've come up against this in certain websites where it's like, you know, you should switch to this or use that, or if you even look at let's just look at if you go to like Chase Bank recommended browser, you know it'll say, here's what we recommend system requirements.
Speaker 2: Right, so they've got for.
Speaker 1: The best experience on Chase dot com and enhance your security against fraud. Be sure your web browser and operating system meet the requirements recommendations in the table below. You can upgrade to the latest browser by using these lanes. Chrome, Safari, Firefox Edge. Some features and functions may not operate properly with unsupported browser versions. We don't support beta or development versions. We don't support browsers in compatibility mode. We don't support third party browser.
Speaker 2: Extensions or plugins. So again, they.
Speaker 1: Want to make sure that you are secure, and that's why they support these. So I don't think that Firefox is necessarily bad, and I think it still is a very reliable browser and I don't see any problem with it. For me personally, it always comes down to whenever I try to switch away from Chrome, there's always some tiny little feature that I've come to rely on on Chrome that I just can't get away from. I will tell you I downloaded the Opera Air browser the other day, which is fantastic, and it's built on Chromium, which is the Chrome web browser at its heart. It's built on similar technology, so you can get the extensions and things, or at least I think it's built on Chromium. Don't quote me on that. Don't send me the emails, please, I will fact check that. Let's see browser identification Mozilla five point anyway, maybe it's not. Oh it is Chromium, Yes it is. Okay, there you go, send me the emails. But they have this great feature where they have chat GBT in the sidebar built into the browser, which is awesome. And then they also have little music like focus music. They call them boosts, so you can literally just play music on your browser that helps you be more creative, more energized, more relaxed.
Speaker 2: So it's really cool. But again, can I switch to it?
Speaker 13: Ay?
Speaker 1: I don't feel like logging into all my websites again. And b I've got my Chrome browser set up in such a streamlined way with all my buttons and tool bars and extensions and saved logins.
Speaker 2: That I don't want to change.
Speaker 1: And so I think some of this stuff is definitely inertia and momentum that keeps us doing things the same way over and over, and that's why it's tough for other browsers to kind of break in anyway.
Speaker 2: Good question.
Speaker 1: Mark didn't appreciate the Uh. You know, some people come on the show, and I get it, it's a platform, it's a big show, so they try to like, you know, sneak in other things.
Speaker 2: I guess that's been going on on radio forever.
Speaker 1: Adam Right, people like say stuff and you know, try to get things through anyway.
Speaker 2: I don't appreciate it.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like, look, we're trying to do a show.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 1: I keep this show pretty non partisan, and I like it that way because there's so much stuff that we have to deal with on a daily basis that's political and this and that.
Speaker 2: I like to keep this.
Speaker 1: I want you to listen, no matter what you care about, right, Like, I want you to like the show for what it is.
Speaker 2: Do I have time for two quick emails or no? Do I got to go to break?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go to break.
Speaker 1: All right, coming up this hour again, we're gonna have some great apps for you to download, and I'm gonna tell you how air tags. Airlines are turning to air tags to help them find lost luggage, and a new airline is on board. I'll tell you about that. Plus maybe we'll get some more of your calls. Eighty eight Rich one on one eight eight seven four to two four one zero on the website, richon tech dot TV.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back. Let's see here.
Speaker 1: We've got Matthew from Sunrise Beach, Australia. He's listening on KFI via the iHeart app. He says good day Rich in the ause style.
Speaker 2: I heard the.
Speaker 1: Caller mentioned issues with Arlow, and I've had the same problem. After an upgrade schedules and geofencing stopped working after forty three years in it. I was frustrated with Arlow's poor support, so I took matters into my own hand. I found that removing all linked mobile devices from the account and rebuilding from scratch solved the issue. Everything's working fine now, cheers from down under, Matthew.
Speaker 4: See.
Speaker 1: And that's why I like this show because it is a platform for finding out the answer I may not always have the answer immediately, but someone like Matthew, who's sitting there listening, going wait, wait, this happened to me. Hold on, let me write Rich, and then we help everyone. So that was the earlier question about the Rlow cameras. Let's see, I can see I can look in the show notes. It was Mark that was experiencing issues with the latest Arlow app update. So try that Mark, see if it works. Kevin writes in from Cottonwood Heights. Hey, Rich, the guy who called about an app that can view wys and other brands of cameras. He said he needed to get other cameras because the wise Pancam three doesn't have night vision one hundred percent on true, it absolutely has night vision. I own four of the Pancam threes, and night vision works on them just like the older version.
Speaker 2: Cameras.
Speaker 1: Have a great day. All right, problem solved. So who had the Wyse issue? Let's see, Oh, I didn't take notes on that one. After I just said I took great notes, maybe because I couldn't help him.
Speaker 2: There you go, that's wrong.
Speaker 1: I guess so I thought the wisecam had it built in, but I guess not.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 1: I guess I was second guessing myself, but I will say I did look in, you know, a little further, and yes, I can't seem to stream.
Speaker 2: I don't know why.
Speaker 1: I used to be able to stream my wiscams from Google Home, but for some reason, it's not letting me do that right now. I don't know if a camera's off or something, or it's been disconnected, but I see it on here, but it just won't let me stream it for some reason. But I know I've been able to do that in the past, especially we have a little Google Home, so we used to stream the camera there to watch the kids. And again, see it's like little changes, like we used to be able to have unlimited viewing on that camera, but then all of a sudden they were like limiting it to like a certain amount of streaming time before it would stop. American Airlines is joining the air tag program to help recover your lost luggage. I think this was on Let's see which blog View from the Wing. I like this one view from the Wing viewfrom Thewing dot com. So they talk about how Airlines lost one hundred and fifty million dollars last year to mishandled luggage. American Airlines is now joining eighteen other carriers and using Apple air tags to help recover bags faster.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if you remember this.
Speaker 1: When air tags first came out, of course, everyone was up in arms about them, privacy concerns, safety concerns, the airlines themselves some of them said, oh, don't put these in your bags, they can explode or whatever. But now, of course they're as common as like they're everywhere air tags.
Speaker 2: I think there's an air tag on everything now.
Speaker 1: And I was just talking to the points guy last week and he said, yes, if you have luggage, put an air tag on it, even if you have a carry on. I have it on all my carry ons because you never know you might be separated from it, you might leave it behind. Air tags are incredible. So American Airlines and I guess other airlines are joining this program where you can now share your air tag.
Speaker 2: Let's say your luggage gets lost.
Speaker 1: There is a special link you can place inside like the American Airlines app that will link your luggage to this air tag. So now their system could use your air tag and track it. And I guess they worked with Apple to make this all happen. I've not tried this, That's why I'm kind of dancing around it because I'm not really sure like it's interesting. So I guess you provide a secure link inside the app, and then all of a sudden, the airline can now track your bag through your air tag, all of course keeping it private. Airlines now participating in this include Delta, United, British Airways, Luftanza, Singapore Airlines, and American Airlines quietly joining the list. So you basically share the item through Apple's app, and then once your bag is lost, you scan a QR code at the baggage office to submit your claim and share your tracking info. So yeah, Now, the problem here is that this is only for Apple users, and this again goes back to that question of why do we see such a focus on certain things while because air tags are everywhere, smart tags tile not as popular. Anyway, if you're traveling, definitely have an air tag on your bag, if you're using iPhone. If you're not using iPhone, get something like a tile or a Pebble tracker Chipolo. Those all work with Android or a smart tag, you know, if you're Samsung.
Speaker 2: All right, coming up.
Speaker 1: Facundo Holdsmeister from How Too Men is going to talk about some of the coolest Android apps to download. Get ready for some must download recommendations right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you talking technology one of my favorite topics. I'm assuming our next guest likes it as well, because he talks about it all the time on his YouTube channel, How Two Men. Welcome to the show, Facundo Holsmeister.
Speaker 13: Thank you, Rich, I appreciate it for having me on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, I love your video you do every month about out the Android apps, like these hidden Android apps that you find, and I always kind of like download a couple of them. So I figured i'd have you on the show to talk about some of these must download recommendations. But first off, just tell me about your channel and haw'd you got the name? I guess is my first question?
Speaker 13: Yeah? Absolutely So.
Speaker 14: I created my channel back when I was thirteen, and I created with my tech YouTube friend who also loved technology too with smartphones, and we were doing how to videos and it's just two guys, so we just decided how two Men together?
Speaker 13: And since then he's gone his way and I've.
Speaker 14: Gone my way and I've just taken over the channel and since then, best apps you know, every month since then.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's so funny, that's awesome. And why Android? Why do you gravitate towards Android?
Speaker 14: I just like the customization behind it, everything you can do with it, all the teendering, all the unique apps that you can download too. It's a very fun experience.
Speaker 1: Do you think that Apple has gotten better with their customization in recent years?
Speaker 13: Oh? Most definitely.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 14: I really do like their new widgets that they released back in iOS fortune. I believe on top of that, their control panel is way better than Androids obviously.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's definitely gotten a lot better too. So they're both. They're both have.
Speaker 14: Their unique advantages, pros and cons on each side too. I definitely like each too. I prefer Android though, because it does have you can tink here, a little bit more here and there if you really dig into the settings.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: One of the things I was talking about earlier on the show is I think one of the biggest delineations between Android and iOS right now is circle to search, because anything on your phone screen is up for grabs with searching, reverse searching, getting more information about it. Like let's say someone texts you a restaurant and you know on an iPhone, you've got to remember the name of it.
Speaker 2: Go to your browser, open it up, search this that.
Speaker 1: On Android, you literally just activate Circle to Search, tap the restaurant name, and it's like boom, you're into the whole search information about that.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 14: No, absolutely, On Android, it's super easy. You just long press your nab bar. You can circle anything on us on the screen and it'll look it up. That's funny that you say that too, because there's actually an app on the play Store that you can download. It's called Circle to Search for.
Speaker 13: Older phones or for phones that don't have it.
Speaker 14: Some phones don't have that feature, so if you want that feature, you can literally just look up Circle to Search and you can have that same exact feature on any other Android as well.
Speaker 13: It works the same way too.
Speaker 14: You can long press the low key and you can just circle anything on the screen and it's free to download and you'll get that same feature. It's great to download on your older device that may not have this unique feature.
Speaker 1: That's her sing and I know, I know. It started out as a Samsung thing. It's expanded to more phones. But yeah, not every phone, like Google has to bless that feature onto your phone before you have it. It's not just like a given. Tell me about this alarm app you've found.
Speaker 14: Yeah, so there's an alarm app called QR Alarm. So in the morning, I know some people have it have a hard time waking up if if you hit the snooze button and you didn't hear.
Speaker 13: The alarm go off or something like that.
Speaker 14: Uh, there's a great app called QR Alarm that allows you to scan a QR code.
Speaker 13: You can link it to any QR code.
Speaker 14: And what I did is I actually printed out that QR code and I put that on a sheet of paper and put.
Speaker 13: It in the other room.
Speaker 14: So when I wake up in the morning, I can just get up, go to that room, scan it with my phone, and the alarm turns off. That's the only time the alarm will turn off when.
Speaker 2: I scan it.
Speaker 13: Oh really, it really forces you to get out of bed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've had I've definitely had the situation where I turn off my alarm without realizing and all of a sudden I wake up.
Speaker 2: I'm like, wait, what why is the alarm off?
Speaker 1: How about this app that turns your front camera hole punch into a button.
Speaker 14: Yeah, so it's called nody Guy. This is actually a pretty fun one. So your front camera on your front phone, it allows you to you can it allows you can turn into a button essentially. So what I did is this app basically puts like a little touch area around your front camera and when you tap on it, you can open things like your favorite app, maybe a certain action, maybe you could take a screenshot or something.
Speaker 13: Basically, you just tap on your notch.
Speaker 14: Of your front front camera hole punch and it'll turn it into a button.
Speaker 2: It links it pretty cool.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now this next one you really got me to thinking how I turned off this functionality on the Samsung the big full screen reminder. And then when you did this video and I saw this little remind Me app, I was like, wait, that's actually really good because I sometimes you miss things.
Speaker 2: Because it just explained what this is.
Speaker 14: Yeah, so basically there's an app called remind Me and you can. By the way, all these apps are free. So on the Samsung phones, whenever you set a reminder, you get a full screen reminder, meaning that you can't you can't dismiss it unless you actually see it.
Speaker 13: And you hit the dismissed button.
Speaker 14: On any other phone, when you set a reminder, you go into the you get a note of vacation, which can easily get lost in your panel. So what this app does remind me it's on the play Store. It basically gives you a whole new, fresh way to get a full screen reminder on your phone, so that way you don't forget it, and it's right in your face right when you turn on the screen.
Speaker 1: It's great, that's really good. And I turn this feature now because I do have a Samsung. I turn it back on on the Samsung. But I love how you can get this for any phone. Now, how about GPT Mobile GPT Mobile.
Speaker 13: That's a fun one too, you.
Speaker 14: Know, with AI on the Rise and everyone using GPT Chat, GPT, Gemini, Claude, all these different models to choose from, it's hard to choose which one has the best option for responses. So why not combine them all and have them all on one app.
Speaker 13: This literally lets you have every single one.
Speaker 14: You just just have to type in a key to get it linked up, and then all of a sudden you can just ask you a question and it'll bring up their responses for each model of AI on the spot, so you don't even have to switch between CHATTEBT or Gemini or Claude. You can get all the responses right then and there. Called GPT Mobile. That's a fun one too.
Speaker 2: What's your what's your preferred AI? At this point?
Speaker 13: Honestly, I'd say it's chat GPT just because of this app.
Speaker 14: It allowed me to see all the different responses and CHATJPT for sure brought.
Speaker 13: The most the most detailed responses.
Speaker 7: That I found.
Speaker 1: Any privacy concerns with this app? Do we have to be worried about that one?
Speaker 13: I don't know.
Speaker 14: That one just links it. It's all open source. This one allows you to just link it to the API key. You'll be okay, okay. What about this next one? Tracker control? Because basically we're all looking for more privacy. How can this help?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 14: Definitely. So on your phone you have a lot of trackers. You can't really avoid it. Every app that you download has trackers behind it. And trackers aren't necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes they just use it for at personalization or you can some of them use it for analytics. But this one allows you with track or control. It allows you to have basically a VPN, a local VPN put onto your phone and it will basically tell you which of your apps have trackers in them and why they're using those trackers. And if you want to, you can also turn off internet access for some of those apps that you don't want accessing your internets.
Speaker 2: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting. Okay, So if you don't want it to like phone home or something, you can just toggle that off.
Speaker 14: Yeah, let's say you have an offline game and or some app that doesn't really require the Internet for example, you can just go in there and you can turn off the internet for that app, so that way it doesn't do anything sketchy in the background.
Speaker 2: Okay. Finally, this I don't know how to say, is a kind stop.
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah, keen stop or kind stop yeah?
Speaker 2: What is that? That f one?
Speaker 14: So that one so whenever you're in the car and you're using your phone, maybe you get motion sickness. Happens to me a couple of times when I'm reading or looking in an article or something like that basically allows you to lower motion sickness while using your phone in the car or maybe an airplane too. And the way it does this is by adding some visual elements on the screen, sort of simulating in the horizon and following your hand movements. It may sound like it may sound like a gimmick, but it's been working for a lot of people. It has a ton of awesome reviews, and don't knock until you try it, to be honest.
Speaker 2: Do you have a favorite Android phone these days?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 13: Definitely.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 14: I mostly switch between the Galaxy devices. I like the Galaxy S twenty five Ultra, but my heart always goes back to the Google Pixel just because I'm a Nexus fan from back in the day. So uh yeah, I definitely like the core Android stock Android experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel the same way I find myself going back and forth. You you remember that wallpaper, that Nexus wallpaper that was live, Remember the little digital like colors that would go up and down as stuff?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 14: Absolutely, absolutely, the one where you could just tap on the screen and it expands into a four colorway immersion experience. It's pretty nice. It's funny too, because there's actually an app for that too. It's called I think it's called NeXT's Live Wallpaper.
Speaker 8: There you go.
Speaker 1: I probably saw that on your channel, all right. The channel is how two men, it's on YouTube. How two men follow it? Facundo Holsmeister, thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 13: Thank you, rich I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: All right, I'll put links to all of the apps that we mentioned on our website, rich on Tech dot tv. All right, coming up, we'll get through a couple of stories. The one plus Watch three has a really unfortunate typo on it. I'll explain that. Plus we'll open up the feedback right here on rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. We'll get to the feedback in just a moment. Two quick stories for you here Ring If you've been waiting for a new outdoor cam, they just released one. It's called the Outdoor Cam Plus. They say it's got the best ever image quality two K video resolution. It's got low light site technology so it can get clear color footage even in near darkness. You can use this indoors or outdoors. It's weather resistant, you can mount it, you can use battery, you can plug it in, or you can use solar. It's got motion detection, real time alerts, two way talk. And if you've got this Ring Home subscription, which I think the price just went up on that, you can get event video history. So again a lot of these cameras don't forget if you're not paying for the subscription, they're just live streaming. They're not recording necessarily unless they have local storage. You can also get package detection twenty four to seven recording if you're plugging this in.
Speaker 2: That's new.
Speaker 1: By the way, Ring just added that smart Video Search AI you can use to find things like if you want to search raccoon, you can see if Raccoon crossed your video.
Speaker 2: Anyway.
Speaker 1: Pre order now Amazonring dot Com. Hunter Bucks starts shipping on March twenty sixth. Another new product the one plus Watch three. This is a new one plus watch. I've been testing it out. It's a great watch, works really well if you have an Android phone. It's got a great design, long battery life, great screen. But the downside is an unfortunate typo on the back. So someone looked at the back of this thing and saw that it says instead of made in China, it says Meta Meda in China. I guess there's a little typo that they didn't notice before they went to press with it. Mistake was first spotted on review units quickly caught attention on Reddit. Now it doesn't affect the watch at all, but it's kind of like pretty rare for an error like this to slip through. So some people are saying these watches might be collector items, collector's items. We don't know if one plus has corrected this because the watch hasn't shipped yet.
Speaker 2: Right now, it's just on the review units.
Speaker 1: But anyway, if you get one of these one plus watch threes, check the back. I know mine says it. I checked mine. I couldn't believe it. I was like, what, when did you ever see that? Some people were saying it was a joke about avoiding tariffs because it wasn't made in China, don't have to pay the tariff on it. It was meta in China, Meda. All right, let's open up the feedbag. Let's see deb rightes. What's a good, safe and reliable scanning app to use for forwarding tax documents to my CPA? Used to use the notes app. It no longer allows me to convert files to PDFs. Notes app still allows you to convert files to PDFs. Just go into the notes app, tapped the little attachment icon and then say, I think it's just scan scan document. Let's see new document tached the little paper clip. It says scan documents. You can scan the document that way. If you don't want to do it that way, you can use the files app on your iPhone that will also scan documents as PDFs. If you're on Android, you can use the Google Drive app. It's got a built in scanner that will save them as PDFs. Just tap the plus icon and select scan once you open up that app. And if you don't want to deal with any of that stuff, Adobe scan is really good. It works on iPhone and Android. Adobe Scan is the one ray from brayat California writes in what's your recommendation on a quality AMFM Internet radio with a wired Ethernet connection? My Wi Fi gets interrupted by a ham radio operator next door, so I'd prefer something reliable.
Speaker 2: Let's see.
Speaker 1: I found one called the Grace Where is it here? The Grace Digital Mondo Elite Internet Radio. But then it's got a USB two Ethernet adapter, so it's a one to two punch.
Speaker 2: You'll need those two products. The Grace Digital Mondo Elite.
Speaker 1: Let's see how much that is? I think it was two hundred dollars. Let's see, Yeah, two hundred dollars, So two d and twenty bucks. All your problems are solved there right, well, at least when it comes to the radio.
Speaker 2: Let's see, Bob.
Speaker 1: Bob writes in on enjoying the podcast from Australia. Your discussion on satellite mobile connectivity caught my attention.
Speaker 2: You got the orbit mechanics a bit off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I knew I did as soon as I said it, because I said that one of the satellites stays in the same place and the others move.
Speaker 2: That's not true, he says.
Speaker 1: Both Apple, Global Star and Starlink satellites are constantly moving in the sky. The key difference is that global Star has about twenty eight satellites requiring precise alignment, while Starlink has sixty five hundred aiming for forty thousand. Wow, are those numbers right? Ensuring near constant coverage. So and then he goes into low earth orbit. Satellites travel seventeen five hundred miles per hour at six hundred miles up. They orbit the Earth in ninety minutes. They're visible overhead for five minutes. Used for fast, lower cost communications, then you've got geo satellites geostationary orbit twenty two thousand miles up, traveling at sixty three hundred miles per hour. They say fixed over one spot, but they require stronger signals. So with thousands of starlike starlink satellites spread globally, you're always within range global stars. Smaller network means less frequent connections. Hope that clears things up, Bob, thank you for the masterclass in satellite. I appreciate it, and apologies for getting that wrong. Let's see gym rights in. I'm enjoying this application called the Cruise Globe, the Cruiseglobe dot com. It tracks all of your cruises. That's pretty cool. It shows you where all your cruises are on a map. It's kind of like when I was a kid. I had a map on my wall of all the different places I went, with a little pin in each one. And then Craig writes in the trick to deleting a ton of Gmail emails, use a desktop computer only, not an iPhone or an iPad. I just wiped out one hundred and fifty thousand emails in about thirty minutes. It took me two tries. Then I empty the trash done.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 1: The main thing to know here is that when you go to Gmail and you search for something like someone's email, you have to tap that little square checkbox and then it says select all up at the top. You can select all and then it will go through. It take a while to delete, by the way. It's not like instantaneous, but it does take a little bit. Let's see if I have time for one more here. Phil from Mount Prospect, Illinois rites in. Just want to congratulate you on fourteen years at the TV station.
Speaker 2: That's really terrific.
Speaker 1: We're glad to see your rich on tech report on WGNTV in Chicago and hope to see a longer half hour show someday. All the best to you and those affected by the terrible wildfires and flooding.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Phil.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know, I work for a TV station here in Los Angeles KTLA, Channel five, but the segment goes to a bunch of TV stations nationwide. WGN Chicago is one of them, so that's where Phil is watching.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: We do have a half an hour show actually on KTLA Plus, which is a free streaming app. You can watch it there. You don't have to be in LA to download it. You can download it anywhere. So if you want to see the half hour show, it actually includes some of this radio show. The first ten minutes is on that TV show, so it's kind of cool. If you want to see behind the scenes what it looks like in the studio here, you can see that. So and then of course we have longer versions of my TV segments and all that good stuff. So fun stuff KTLA plus it's available on Roku, Apple TV, and let's see Fire TV and also Samsung TVs. All right, I think that's gonna do it. That's gonna do it. For this episode of the show. You can find links to everything I mentioned on the website. Just go to richon tech dot TV, find me on social media, follow me on Instagram at rich on tech. Next week we've got Chris Gould of Geeks on tour. She's gonna share expert tips on making the most of Google Photos. Thanks so much for listening. There are so many ways you can spend your time. I do appreciate you spending it right here with me. Thanks to everyone who makes this show possible. Adam in for Bobo today. My name is rich Dmiro I will talk to you real soon.