Speaker 1: Worrying. This podcast countade spoilers for season three, episode five of The Mandalorian. Hello, my name is Jason Concepcion And on Mersey Night and Welcome to X Revision, The Crooked Media podcast will be dived deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture.
Speaker 2: In this episode and previously on Ike Palmer is out at Disney and good riddance, good riddance to bad rubbish. And this is a shocking news and we're gonna talk about why it matters and what it means for Marvel Entertainment. In the airlock, we're talking about season three, episode five of The Mandalorian, which was just a ton of fun. It was really, really fun, and we're gonna be moaning about those Mandalorians as always. And in nerd out from Mike, he's going to talk about what scene may close out the Mandalorian series.
Speaker 1: Of course, if you want to jump around, check the timestamps that may or may not be accurate due to issues beyond our control that we are working on, but check them anyway because they're there for you to check. Coming up next previously on First Up, Shake Up at Disney at Marvel Entertainment, Newsflash March twenty nights New York Times. Ike Pearl Mutter out at Marvel. Here's the quote. Pearl Mutter was told by phone on Wednesday that Marvel Entertainment, of small division centered on consumer products and run separately from Marvel Studios, was done and would be folded into larger Disney business units, according to two Disney executives briefed on the matter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss his sensitive personal matter. Ike, for those of you not aware, is one of the execs who you know has I think it's let's give him his due, has been a driving force behind certainly the early period of the MCU, in the launch of the MCUH, and is also a famously spinthrift individual who lobbied loudly and vociferously and aggressively for not not I repeat not doing diverse Marvel movies such as Black Panther and Captain Marvel. He's really really mad that they made a Black Panther movie. Arymed voted for Trump twice ed said he would do so again in twenty twenty four. That's I Pearl Butter, and he's out your thoughts.
Speaker 2: He's erse night. Well, so yeah, I agree, you met you have if you listened to the podcast we've had us talk about. He is a very notorious figure in Marvel. He was a board of directors at Marvel Comics in late nineteen ninety three, went on to take over the company with AVR. Rod from Toy Biz, and he was the one who, eventually, after establishing Marvel Studios, would sell Marvel to Disney for four billion. Now my biggest thing here, let's go back to that New York Times quote, because this is huge, guys, and I know I can't help it. I love this stuff. It makes me worried. Look, they say, Marvel Entertainment, a small division centered on consumer products and run separately from Marvel Studios, was redundant in the eyes of Disney. So Marvel Entertainment is Marvel Comics, and the consumer products that they sell are comic books. So I would say that this is not the last that we've heard of this news. I am very happy that Ike is leaving, and hopefully with him a lot of those outdated views not only on race and gender and all that kind of stuff that you mentioned, but also on the way workers are treated. He was known like you said, for not spending money for cutting corners.
Speaker 1: And it's also just like uh, you know, Kevin Feige uh mm hmm, and others, not to mention returning CEO Bob Iiger have had to spend in the past so much energy like keeping I could pay that. Hopefully things will get easier on their side now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fingers crossed. I am very interested that this news came out the way it did because, like I saw a great tweet where somebody said, you know, this is like Trump arrest day for comic book fans like we have. This is actually one of the biggest one of the biggest shocks about this news is that Ike still had any kind of responsibility because this chairman role that they had given him had kind of it seemed like he'd handed his responsibilities over to people like Figi Alan Fine. So the fact that he is still needed to be laid off was kind of a shock, but a good shock. But I do not believe that Disney would have wanted this to be the way the news came out, because the question that me and many other people are now asking is what happens to the comics division. In the New York Times, they said Marvel Entertainer was based in New York City. Based on all of this reporting, the Wikipedia page for Marvel Entertainment now says that the company lo longer exists and is defunct. So we know Marvel's still going to keep making comics. The question is what does that look like and how does this impact the people who work their day to day and also what does it mean for Marvel to no longer be in New York. DC comics takes place in all these made up places, you know, Metropolis, Gotham, But let's think about Marvel. It's like looking out your window. You're in the X Men, You're in Westchester, you're in New York, you're with Spider Man. That location has always been Marvel's home.
Speaker 1: Its famously based in New York for its entire life. Although you know, like some might say, what's the big deal, DC moved their comics offices to la some years ago, blah blah blah, it is. It's a big shift, and there's a lot of questions. We don't know about what.
Speaker 2: This means exactly. That's it's about keeping our ears to the ground. If anyone from Marvel wants to let us know what's going on. We would love to know. I'm very interested, and I'm hoping that everyone at Marvel who does great work making those comics is had prior knowledge about this. I'm interested to see where it goes next. But yeah, I'm very I'm living a Margaret thatcher ding Dong the Witch is dead moment, Like obviously we're all celebrating the Pike will no longer be a part of this. I just want to know what's going on with the comic Well.
Speaker 1: Obviously a lot of information is still to emerge, but it seems like I'm sorry to theorize, but here it is.
Speaker 2: It's what we do.
Speaker 1: It seems like a something like a more sub something more substantive perhaps than a rebrand where they fold Marvel Comics and start a new company called Marvel Comics Plus or something. Yeah, that all the people the right, right, that all the people that work for that company have been fired but now are instantly hired to work for this company that's a completely different entity. Slash it was sating.
Speaker 2: This is if you are somebody who loves comic books. Ever since AT and T and Warner and these kind of DC mergers that have been impacting DC comics for so long, those conversations about what does a corporation know about how to make comics? Will they get rid of the comic harm will they license it out? That has always been part of the conversation with Disney buying Marvel. People wondered if this would happen. We don't know what it's going to look like, but we can assume from the fact that they're calling Marvel Entertainment redundant that it will change.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I will say DC moving to LA was like a stroke of genius, and the DC offices are beautiful, and they hire a bunch of wonderful different people who work there. And I'm sure that there's a version of Marvel moving to LA that would be great. It makes sense with the studios, with the builds. But what will that look like, especially as we are now in the first week of the promise seven thousand layoffs that Disney is doing. So, you know what, I will give them a slight bit of credit for starting with execs because.
Speaker 1: Does that happen?
Speaker 2: But yeah, this is this is kind of huge. I expect the ramifications to be large and continuing. But as Jason pointed out, we don't really know that much.
Speaker 1: Now that much.
Speaker 2: We do know that this was likely in response, at least in part to Ike Palmutter trying to do a shadow takeover of the Disney board with his friend Nelson Pelts, which was in the news a lot. And it's actually very interesting to go and read about. So if you're wondering for if you're looking for the why it is not really because of his bad behavior in the past. Is corporate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because to take over the company and then try to take over the company because of his in part certainly ill feelings about Bob Iger, who shelved him after he lost a power struggle with Kevin Feige uh Over. We tried to fire right over again, the fact that I didn't want to make a black Pig or a Captain Marvel movie. Bob Iger two billion dollar movies, robab I would just say, right, Bob Iger in his book or in some other interview, was asked, how you know if Ike's feelings about that perhaps fueled that takeover bid, and he said, and Iger was quoted as saying, well, you'd have to ask Ike about that, but let's put it this way. He was not happy about it, and I think that unhappiness exists today.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Up next, returning to the Mandalorian in the airlock, we're stepping out of the airlock and onto the mean streets, the beautiful once and we'll be again beautiful Streets of Navarro for Season three, Episode five of The Mandalorian, a Disney Plus titled Chapter twenty one The Pirate John Favreau, directed by Peter Ramsey. Super super fun episode.
Speaker 2: Real Star Wars vibes. Have you loved those Star Wars vibes? If you want to feel like you're a little kid with a R two D two lunch box and you play them with your cheap, plastic but beloved Kenna toys, this is the episode that's gonna send you back into that nostalgia. And so much happens.
Speaker 1: A lot happens. So we start on Navarro High. Magistrate Grief Cargo is playing SimCity on his desk with his with his people are out of He's in the middle of this development meeting and is like, where we gonna put the railroad. We gotta put the rail spur over here. We're talking about it's gonna be a massive cargo moving through the city.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And the meeting is broken up by the arrival of pirate King Shard's flagship. Shard hails Cargo, and Shard is like, holy shit, grief Cargo. That sounds like you, grief Cargo, but a killed master of the Navarro Hunters, the fame Navarro Bounty Hunters. But all I see before me is a pampered nobleman. And Shard, of course, is still hot that Carga and Dn Jarren shot his pirates in the street street now, uh, you know they were up to no good, as pirates often are, and Carga notes quite accurately that they drew first, and Shard is like, well, now I'm gonna shoot first. Carga then tries the bluff. He's like, hey, you a fuck with us, You're gonna fuck with the New Republic because we're about We're we're part of the New Republic. Now what about that? And Shard is like, well, I just looked at Galactic Wikipedia and it says you guys are independent. So who's lying? Is it Wikipedia or is it or is it you? And I know that maf Gideon is not here anymore because he is either dead or was on trial, and nobody fucking knows where he is, so what's gonna happen? And Carga's like, well, okay, what about the x Wing patrols that come through here every once in a blue moon? And Sharna is like, well, I'll take my fucking chances peace, and then he fucking hangs up and starts opening fire on the city streets packed with civilians. They're just getting like murders left and right.
Speaker 2: Also as well, like I feel like I love call Weathers, I love Grief Cargo. I feel like, is the New Republic really going to stop a pirate? Like not like could they stop them? I'm sure they could, but like is that threat really so big? I feel like he made it, played the wrong card there.
Speaker 1: Well, as we will see, the New Republic is just in the They're a new administration and they have a lot of trouble getting there in a mask, getting their business off the ground. Grief Cargo gestures to his ASTRONMK droid and uh he then although we don't see it, records help us your early hope message. And then when his protocol droid runs up and is like, hey, we got to get out of here, we got the we got the escape ready Carga bravely, courageously is like, no, I'm not leaving. I'm not leaving my people. I need to lead my people back to the most significant rise in property values in Navarro's history. We're coming back.
Speaker 2: We will rebail, we are making real estate money. We cannot leave.
Speaker 1: We will rebuild. And he tells his people, Hey, head for the hills, go for the dunes, and we'll regroup. Just get out of the city. Then we go to an unknown jungle planet where that is a base for the New Republic's Adelphi Rangers, and we see our friend Captain Tiva. He's taking some r and R at the base Cantina, when he's told that there's a message. He puts it in the in the player and realizes his grief Cargo asking for help with a ongoing pirate siege, and Carga says, quote, I'm afraid that our planet will fall in Shard will turn this into a pirate base. And we hear a voice someone has overheard this and says, I really thought Navarro is gonna make it. And it's our friend zeb Crew looking a bit looking legitimately fucking incredible, unbelievable in live action ILMB. Can we get il M on the the the volume on on I didn't have. I didn't have any particular notes on the ebcu uh Man and the Wasp quantum media. But but like this looked great, It looked amazing.
Speaker 2: The Mandalorians just consistently knocks it out of the park with their use the way they mix practical and cgs, and Zeb looked so good here, Like this is definitely a moment where if you know, you know, and if you know you scream, Like this is like when you see him, you're like, oh my god. And we'll get into this more, but I think this hints that probably a much bigger inclusion that we'll get this season. But this was so cool, looked brilliant, super cool, totally within character. I just feel like it was just all good. Tend to it been good stuff.
Speaker 1: I could not agree where I'd like started shouting us. Teva tells Zeb that he's going to go to command and he's going to ask for a remission to take on the pirates. But as we've seen this, we've already talked about the transition from two decades of empire is not easy. It's a mess, like just being being legitimately charitable to in your republic. It's this is hard work. Uh, and then zeb says, hey, they're swamp. They haven't returned a message in weeks. Teva then decides, okay, I'm going to give it the personal touch. I'm gonna fly to Corroussant and I'm gonna get Navarro the help it needs. Teva saunters into command to see Colonel Tunnel on Coroissant, and it's a good example of how chaotic things are right now for the new administration. That Tunnel ostensibly Teva's commanding officer. He cannot even get his Droid to followers. He's like, hey, don't Droid, don't put that tray of records there on my desk because I and then Droids is like fuck you, and it just drops the tree.
Speaker 2: They're like shit, can I just also just talk about it? I was just so happy to see Tim Meadows. This is just like wonderful one casting. He's in a really great episode of poker Face, which I'd love to see him, and this is so good because he has the perfect exasperated bureaucrat voice, like and you just realized in this one scene in one performance, like the New Republic is getting nothing done. They are trying their best, but they are.
Speaker 1: Struggle hard, and they have the best of intentions.
Speaker 2: But it's really they're they're doing better than some other radical organizations we've seen before, Yes we have, but I mean they're not trying to replicate the Imperials. They're trying to do their best, but it is they are stuck in a bureaucratic roup.
Speaker 1: I mean, like this, there are larger questions here to be asked, like whether whether a galaxy spanning government is even a good idea, Like, yes, that's a great question to ask. But they're trying, and they have good intentions, and they're not very effective right now, but they're trying. Elliot Kine otherwise known as G sixty eight, the former Imperial currently working on some unknown neo imperial scheme from inside the New Republic leadership.
Speaker 2: Always acting, she's always acting with shady as fuck.
Speaker 1: She like, I gotta say, gee, don't make evil scheme faces all the time because somebody's gonna notice at some point.
Speaker 2: Kay O'Brien is so good as like the villain, Like every time you see how you know, just like everyone just look around. She's scheming. She's doing a scheme face, she's looking evil like I believe it, like she's doing it, and nobody seems to notice. I love it. It's great.
Speaker 1: So Tevah barges in and tuddles like, who the fuck are you? You know? His Rodian you know, assistant is like, I'm sorry, this guy just barged in, and Teva gets right to the point. He's like, there's a pirate siege on Navarro in the Outer Rim, and I'm mad straate, I know sent An sos and we should do something. Tunnel plays the message and at that point G. Sixty eight comes in with this helpful offer. Hey, I'm going to the commissary if you want like some of those Imperial biscuits. I know you love them.
Speaker 2: One of the good things about me, am By, you know, not good things. They were one of them.
Speaker 1: The trains. They made, the trains run on time, and the biscuits are delicious. Yeah, And then Tuttle is like, oh, yeah, that's right. G sixty eight, Uh, in your that's right. In your capacity is an Imperial soldier aut Aer mof Giddion noted war Crudle. You spent some time in the Outer rim right, what about about you? Yeah, what did you know about Navarro? And she's like, yeah, I did spend some time there. And then at that point, Tevin notices G. Sixty eight's very unique kind of red striped badge which identifies her as a former imperial and part of the amnesty program, and she is like, well, you know, unfortunately Navarro never signed the new public Charter, so they're not part of this whole thing, and Tuttle notes that, hey, you see how fucked up things are right now? We have member worlds that can't get the help they need. How's it gonna look if I go and help some independent planet? And then Teva is like, hey, we got to connect the dots here. There's something bigger. Why is Navarro always coming up? We had reports of stormtroopers in the streets and borrow maf Gideon was known to be skulkinger on the planet doing who knows what. Meanwhile, ask this lady right next to you, because she was serving with him. Tie fighters are flying openly over Navara. What's with all the action? And Navarro on tunnel says, okay, you could get to hyperspace with a leap like that, Like, come on and then Teva's like, how do we know that? He basically is like maf Gideon could be behind this, right, like, we don't know where he is. I heard he never made it to try, like what's going on that? And then you know, Tuttle again says I. Listen, I'm just a pencil pusher. I'm just like a quarkinizer. Basically, all I can do is get you things. So what do you need? What can I do for you? And I got to say before we go further, I think that the amnesty program. I think it's a good idea, and I think it's a well meeting program, And I don't want to throw out the baby with the bathwater. Maybe there are a lot of positive success stories and good things to come out of it. Like like I would assume that the other people that doctor Pershing and G. Sixty eight were sitting with back at Amnesty House, like are not working on neo imperial conspiracy conspiracies. Right that said, I don't think that we should allow former imperials to have this kind of access to New Republic like decision making levers. Why why are we just like letting former imperials like work in high command I.
Speaker 2: Also feel like, specifically in this situation, if somebody used to work for mof Gideon and this planet is connected to mof Gideon, that's like, this is a conflict of interest, My dad, great, sorry, you can't be involved in this one. I think what this scene does really well, as well as being funny, because Tim Meadows is like really fucking funny, is it highlights how it's really easy for G. Sixty eight to take advantage of this system because nobody knows what's going on. Tyl didn't know anything about the hour Rim, so he just asks a war criminal who worked for like a famous war criminal with a magical sword. He's like, what do you know about it? Yeah, And this is exactly how she's managed to rise up the ranks, and it's very interesting to see them kind of explore that.
Speaker 1: G sixty eight suggests that, hey, you know, uh, maybe Navarro would sign the charter. Uh if we let them get punched in the mouth a little bit by pirates that.
Speaker 2: Flag, yeah flag very fashion.
Speaker 1: Maybe at a little bit of a mass murder happened, they'd understand that they'd want to be under the protective umbrella of the New Republic. Wouldn't that teach him a lesson? And Teva says sounds like imperial thinking it absolutely is. But then Tunnel is like, oh, oh, you're out a line. How dare you say that? Yeah, you're out a lion there? How dare you besmirch the good name of this former war criminal who worked for an even bigger work.
Speaker 2: Criminal who's saying some very war criminal sounding things like yeah.
Speaker 1: So then G is like takes the high road wonderfully. I love this moment. It's so funny because g says, hey, no, no, no, no, no no. I get this all the time. Listen as a former Imperial soldier who worked under Moff Gideon's evil infant experimentation regime, working to acquire scientific knowledge of horrific and now illegal cloning technology. I get those kind of comments all the time. But I want you to know I'm a changed person. I am a different person now. And Teva's like, I mean that's easy to say when you've been fucking captured, you know, like yeah, and she corrects him, no, no, no, I was liberated. And then Tunnel is like, okay, like, you see all the files and shit on my desk, I will look into it, get the FuG out of here, and Teva and his cool bomber jacket go to leave, but they leave with a warning. They say, something big is happening, the resurrection of Palpatine, something the resurrection I've ever speak good. Something big is happening out there, and you better act before it's too late to stop it.
Speaker 2: Spoiler They won't stop it, will stop it when it goes badly for everyone.
Speaker 1: We go to the outskirts of Navarro Grief and the citizens are now refugees huddling in the dunes, and he promises them listen, help is on the way. They're like, yeah, how whom? And it looks really bad elsewhere on the mysterious planet that is home to the Mandalorian covert, Teva, following a homing signal, lands at the edge of Crocodile Lake just outside the forge. Every Mandalorian gun is on him. Pause. Viz Last comes strolling out with that big fucking chain gun of his, was like, get out of here. We don't like New Republic cops, and we get it, honestly, we get it. Then then comes out as like wait, how did you find us? And Tevis as fortunately someone I served with in the Rebellion is among your ranks and the R five dfour you. It comes out and it was like, oh, it was me, and let's stop here. Yes, we've already talked about the kind of twist of fate aspect of R five's you know, kind of coincidental relationship with R two and how that really did shape the future of the galaxy. But I was not aware that our five, this R five, actually was in the rebel Alliance.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is actually a really nice nod to some thing that I believe was established in the books, which was basically that R two communicated to R five that the galaxy was doomed and R two was the only hope, and then R five was like cool and just like loosened the hinge on his plate and like blew it up so that he could like sacrifice himself so that they would buy R two and R two would be able to go and help. This is incredibly sweet. I love when they build in these moments for droids. But can I just say as well, yeah, and I love our two. Doesn't that just sound like something that R two would.
Speaker 1: Make it very self, very such realizing.
Speaker 2: He's such a little drama Mama, you know as drama. Yeah, and that was from The Red One from a certain point of view, which is just the funnest little stories where they imagine like different and expand on different scenarios. It was by Ray Carson, and that's where they established that R five kind of did make this sacrifice, and I guess his mind was later wiped by jar Wars and that's why he kind of didn't know that he was a rebel and he ends up with Pelly. So I love that they referenced this. Those books are really fun and yeah, are two convinced destroyed to blow his own head up and he did it for the rebel.
Speaker 1: And then I have other I guess Teva just kept our fives like cell phone number and new it just somehow how did he do it? I guess they have been like on a they're on a group chat, and like our five has been telling Teva like that's the only way Teva could have rights, Like if our five is like, hey, guess what I'm hanging out with that Mandalorian? Uh? Now, like I've been roped into a mission to Mandlor.
Speaker 2: If you've had them astromech in your ship, does it like you always remember it and you can always just be like, oh, I wonder what our five's up to and like you because it was like a homing beacon. So yeah, we need to know how did they get in touch? Is there a rebellion group chat if? So seems like it should be well better protected.
Speaker 1: I agree, And as you've seen from the DELFI Ranger base, a lot of downtime, so you know, Teva would have a lot of opportunity to just text with friends.
Speaker 2: I would also say, I'm very happy to see more Teva. I love this character. I want to see that. I live to see like a Teva spinoff, that kind of New Republic, like interesting X Wing kind of slice of life stuff. So it's really fun here to.
Speaker 1: See iconic bomber jacket, like iconic what a look?
Speaker 2: His whole look is.
Speaker 1: Just a look. Dinn. I think, speaking for the COVID here, is annoyed because the entire COVID is gonna have to move now, and that is just such a fucking hassle.
Speaker 2: Well, can I just say something, actually disagree. You should say thank you to Teva because you should have fucking moved a long time ago.
Speaker 1: I listen, we've been We've been on that quarterly for a long time, but now it's like you can't put it off anymore.
Speaker 2: If I knew that all we had to do was go to the Crocodile Lake and visit them so they would move, I would have actually done it, like I would have done it because they need to move. This is this is bad times.
Speaker 1: Uh So then pause, Vistla is like, who, well, hold on, we don't have to move if we emit murder, what if we just kill what if we just kill this cop? What about that? And Din is like, uh no, you fucking psycho, show the fuck out, you fucking Madiac. And also I owe this guy once, so we're not gonna do that. Go like bond with your son or something. Uh and then and then taking it from there, Din is like, okay, just now get out of here, because you see what I'm dealing with. Biss wants to flat out murder you, and then Tim is like, I can't because here is Grief's grief, Cargo's SOS message. So Dan is like, well, let's just fucking you're the new Republic. Just fucking go over there, do a bombing round and take him out. And he's like, well, Coroissant doesn't care, so then didn't I think asks a really good questions like well why do you care? Like why you don't know? Grief Carter from Adam like why are you doing this? And he says, well, I basically I care because I think the Empire's up to something. He says, the new refolic has to know the empire is growing again and and basically someone needs to do something about it. And this is I think the only way I can get their attention. And he thinks that the pirate you know, see, you just part of this. And then Tevia leaves and is like, hey, listen, I know you guys are gonna leave anyway, but I promise I won't tell anybody about you that you're here at fucking Crocodile Lake, you know. He still.
Speaker 2: I'm like, don't keep it a secret because these people are gonna die. Yes, if they stay here, tell everyone if it means they're gonna bloody move.
Speaker 1: So he flies off, and then bo is like, okay, so what are you thinking about doing? Of course, Dinn is test to go to help, but he can't do it alone. So Din then makes his pitch to the Mandalorians about why they should go to Navarro and fight for Grief Karga, and he's like, listen, I know you fought against him when you rescued me in Grogu. But Grief is a different guy now he's not. He's he on like g sixty eight has legitimately had a change of heart, and so let's pay back that kindness. Go to Navar. I was aid before, it's too late. And then he's like, and by the way, if if ah a pitch to your generosity doesn't do it, how about capital? About what about some land?
Speaker 2: Baby?
Speaker 1: What about some land? He says, Grief cargo offered me a tract of land on his independent world. Let's not forget that independent world. Perhaps it's time for us to live in the light once again, on a planet where we are welcome, so our culture may flourish and our children will feel what it is to play in the sunlight.
Speaker 2: And then thinking about a baby again, thinking about that beautiful baby, that baby would just love to just be.
Speaker 1: Chilling, absolutely pause visilism. Then like, I can't let someone have the last word. I need to speak up. And he's like, Okay, this is gonna be a hard fight fellas fellow Mandalorians is gonna be a really, really hard fight. Perhaps some of us will die, as many of us did die when we fought against cargo on that very same planet, when we fought to save this guy over here his life and this baby over here his life. But dead man, Laurens, that sounds fucking great. Let's do it. I love war. I love war, guys.
Speaker 2: This is a great time around me. Because he saw he saw someone. He's like, why should we help this man?
Speaker 1: But he's actually arguing like.
Speaker 2: We should do it because we get to kill people, you know.
Speaker 1: And he's straight up like, hey, a lot of us are gonna die. I love it.
Speaker 2: Let's He's like, I've got a fucking massive gun. He probably.
Speaker 1: And then he's like, I've had my disagreements with this man, mean tin charn, but he risked his life to save my son, who I don't really care about. I don't care about that kid. But he did do it. I didn't fill up, by the way, and Bokaton Crees also did not give up on my child's life even when the rest of us did. This made me laugh so hard, he said, Boukaton did not give up on my child's life even when the rest of us did what a fucking burn himself.
Speaker 2: But he's saying about like himself, yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: What about you dead.
Speaker 2: Everyone else was like this happens all the time. I lost three kids to that bud last week, like, but Bo was like this is fucked up, Like uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so anyway, this is the way let's get that real estate. They head off to Navarro, and the plan, which Bow lays out as they're in hyperspace, is a too prung attacked in and Bow will stay in the skies the rest of the Mandalorians with pre at their head. Also the armorer will be the ground assault team. And then Bow gets her speech. She says, Navarro's an independent planet, no longer under imperial remnant or to republic protection. But it's that very independence that makes it appealing for you to settle. You lived there once hiding the sewers, which I don't think anybody who needs to be reminded of that. I don't think that's a good Like, I don't that is that the pitch that we want. We were just like, hey, really remember when you had to like.
Speaker 2: Hide in the sewers, and like you won't accepted. Now go and save these people smelling it's like the good I don't know if it's the good pitch, but I get where she's going.
Speaker 1: She's like, I guess like you were.
Speaker 2: Like pasant This is a really funny pitch shagic because she's basically saying, like these people didn't accept you and made you hide underground, like morelogs with now.
Speaker 1: You can be heroes, right and and homeowners. Let's not forget that independently. Yes again, that's a huge get hit all the important notes X ray Vision will be back and we're back. So they arrive and the pirate's fucking running wild. They're having a grand old time. They're roaming. The show's like.
Speaker 2: Pirates of the Caribbean. It's a long beach pirate festival that actually.
Speaker 1: Pirate Pirate, Christmas, Pirate Valentine's Day rolled into one pirate uh st Patrick's say. They're drinking, they're robbing, they're like raping waiters. They're loving it. The Mandalorians arrive and it's truly an amazing battle.
Speaker 2: Like yeah again is animation. Animation on the ships is second to none. Hair Like ILM's absolutely doing it. The fighters are so good there's so much good practical costuming, practical mosts, practical creature walk. It is absolutely delightful, and we get a great armor a moment that made me like I was like fist pumping when I saw.
Speaker 1: The shot which they used in the trailer where you see the Mandalorians air drop down onto the streets is so fucking cool. Some highlights from the battle. The ground assault is led by a pause who I think needs to learn about cover. They're all just standing out in the middle of the street. They get pinned down in the town square. To relieve that. We see the armorer go to work with her hammer and tongs as weapons. Really really takes out a pirate firing position that was stationed in Grief Cargo's once luxurious office, hopefully to be luxurious again. We get to see baby Yoda up in the sky, riding in Dinn's lap. Taking it in the baby during.
Speaker 2: This like crazy battle. The baby's just chilling in his dad's lap.
Speaker 1: Did strap him in right?
Speaker 2: Not even like a single I don't know, that's just the dad or maybe he's staying there with the force, but it was very.
Speaker 1: Little baby here, a little baby boring or something for.
Speaker 2: That feels like it's coming.
Speaker 1: Uh the nikto Pirate Vain. Remember him a complete non factor, Yes, absolutely useless. Didn't do a damn thing except for talking shit in his snub fighter.
Speaker 2: Which is he's the one who got let he was the one who survived. So I'm like, if you're going to cause the problems to come for the vengeance, then do something.
Speaker 1: But he doesn't. He just breezes off. He's like, ah, immediately flees immediately is like no, I'm not Hey, looks like things are going bad. I'm out of here. But like, has I guess the class to give to give notice to Pirate King Shark? Like he doesn't just take like, hey, Pirate King Shard, I just want you to know I'll be giving my two week notice two weeks ago. I'm leaving right now, just like yeah bye. Uh. And finally dinn and Bow managed to blow up Pirate King Shard ship before he can blast the city. This is what a fucking murdering maniac, this fucking spinach is. He just is like, I guess I'll just like kill everybody, but they blow up a ship before that can happen, and uh, the citizens get to get some payback. Because the pirates are fleeing the destruction of of their forces, flee right into the arms.
Speaker 2: Of Weizen get to they get to take over a gang that's come into that town.
Speaker 1: Grief Cargo, did we expect anything else? He's good to his word. He says, all the land from the western Lava Flats to Bullet Canyon now the home of the good people of Mandalori.
Speaker 2: Let's get that real estate. I mean, they're so're actually gonna build a house or will they just find the most dangerous natural spat and just chill outside the Magaloian So you never know. I hope live where the giant lizard live. Can we live next to him?
Speaker 1: Well? I would expect they're going to live above ground now, right because because of what happens next. Pause then comes over to Bow is like, hey, the armor uh wants to have a word. So he leads her back into that sewer where they used to live, and the armor is in her old forge. Uh just kind of looking around and makes some small talk, and then she's like, hey, take off your helmet. What bo is like the creed and.
Speaker 2: Is this like is this a trick? She's fair to ask on this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's the Creed and Din had to fucking dive into the waters of the living waters under the fucking mind's battle or like I could just take off my helb I now and uh, the Armor says, listen, the das the Mandalorian diaspora is all over the place, and there's we subscribe to the Creed, but many don't. But we have to if we're gonna unite as a people, if we're going to take our planet back, we have to walk the way together. And that means all Mandalorians. I was taught the minthosaur Existentian legend, and yet you saw it. It's a sign that the next stage is upon us. You have walked both worlds. You are the one who can unite us. So the Armor is basically saying, you're going to be our ambassador the diaspora out in the galaxy and we need to go and retake Mandelor. And I think this is actually a smart and good idea from the Armor. Yes, listen, all respect to the Mandalorian recruiters who have been growing the ranks of the Mandalorian off camera, but they need a lot more folks if they're going to take back the planet. And that means reaching out to you know, the folks we saw in the Clone wars who didn't wear their helmets all the time. You know. That's the other thing that's kind of like unspoken is like this covert is essentially descendants of Deathwatch. We had a much more hardcore Mandalorian warlike uh take on the Mandalorian culture and lifestyle, and they were very apathetically against everything that was going on on Mandalor proper uh and particularly the leadership of the Duchess Seteen uh. And so this is a really cool gesture I think, and and one that the one that Bo is really uniquely suited for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a huge moment and it makes a lot of sense. I agree because it look does it?
Speaker 1: Could?
Speaker 2: It feel like slightly jarring? All? Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it flopping? Now?
Speaker 2: There's some flopping hair. But I will say the thing I think they did that was really smart hair. That makes it believable is the mythical the armor basically sat with it for a week or a few days or whatever.
Speaker 1: And was like.
Speaker 2: If she saw the mythosaur, that's like, I need to fucking sort my shit out, like I need to. This is someone who clearly has some kind of role to play. Now what does that role look like? And then she thinks, well, we really struggle with recruiting new people. We're recruiting a lot of children, baby dragons, Like, oh wait, there's actually like thousands, tens of thousands of Mandalorians all over the galaxy, some of whom used to follow boy, and maybe by becoming more inclusive and accessible, we can create like a unified mand law. And I think it's really good, very sick, it's.
Speaker 1: Really great, very very smart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then it's the perfect person.
Speaker 1: I completely agree. I think that what the armorer, without laying it out, is aiming for is like, Okay, if you are an orthodox follower of the Creed, then just don't take your holmet off. You never take it off, but favor the yes. But if we're remorse secular Mandalorian, we welcome you as well. And this is great. Yeah. So the armor and bow without her helmet hair, I don't know how she keeps her hair looking so good? Oh my god, don't even get me.
Speaker 2: That's what I want to know. It's how is the hat always looking so good? Everything correct, same length, not one single split?
Speaker 1: What's going on?
Speaker 2: Gunning no roots. Unbelievable. I mean that is that's the biggest mystery of the man. Her hair stay that good, never any static after being on that mecca, why I need to know the secret?
Speaker 1: Uh So the Armor and Bow no helmet go to the other vand Alors and the other days are like what excuse me to what is happening? And the Armor is like, okay, this is what's going on. Bow is our ambassador. She is going to bring the rest of the exiles to us and together we're gonna retake Mandelori. And pause and I get it. Pause to me, he's a little annoyed. She's like, what the fuck is this?
Speaker 2: She did a helmet off, like yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Then she's like, no, listen, bocus on what has walked both world. She can bring all the tribes together. It's time to retake Mandalor. And I think, listen, we've been saying, why don't you just call it Mandalor? And I think that this is the right way to This is smart, This is a good way to do it because you can't send any messages on the surface of Mandelor. SU's Navarro as a base to bring the desperate together and then let's all go to Mandalor.
Speaker 2: In this way, I think the Armor finally did something right because we were like, why don't they just go to Mandalo, Why don't they just go to Mandalor. But I think she's right, get like one hundred two hundred, five hundred one thousand Mandalorians together on some kind of same page and then try and go back to the once poisoned, like wildly overgrown and dangerous to comment that you once lived on. Also, I will say, I will think that I think we can take it. We were right because we did say Bo was going to be the one who would potentially ride the mithasore, who would reunite the Mandalorians. This is right, So happy. I also want to congratulate Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni, who essentially wrote themselves out of a corner here by making it okay for Mandalorians to wear a helmet or not wear a helmet.
Speaker 1: Well, it was previously not okay, Now it's okay.
Speaker 2: Now it's okay. It kind of explains away some of the bigger characters, one of whom we're likely going to see soon as well. I feel like after this episode, so yeah, they're retaking Mandalore. Good for them.
Speaker 1: Later in deep space, I would assume somewhere by the you know, outside of Courson, in the inner rims.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some kind of outer rim situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Captain Teva, just by luck. And by the way, space is a big place, so very fill out your fucking lottery ticket.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe it was the force, Maybe the force was guided him.
Speaker 1: I don't discount it's you never love it. I honestly love it. Captain TeV comes across a transport ship heavily damaged. Does it absolutely wreck the pilot? You could see some of the crew, their corpses in they're floating around. Uh. And he learns that this is the craft that was moving off Gideon. He was right ostensibly to trial.
Speaker 2: Right, he knew he never made it do it.
Speaker 1: And he scans the wreckage and there's a little chunk of best gar stuck in the side. And it leads we believe our friend Tava to wonder if Mandalorians did this.
Speaker 2: Dun da da dun dun dun. It's obviously a frame up. I just need to say suspense, like it's a fucking frame absolutely frame I also just want to shout out like this moment there's this unclearly it's such obviously a frame up, but like this moment of this like empty floating ship. There's this really brilliant anime called Memories and there's a short in it called Magnetic Rose and it's like a trapped room horror where a guy finds an empty flow in spaceship and they kind of go and explore it and it's really beautiful. And this was giving me big vibes of that. You should go and watch it. It's really good. But yeah, it's a frame up. I'm sorry, Bro, Temba should also Tempa should know this, like it's so he's like, it's best Gar and the guy's on the radio is like, Mandalorians did this, And I'm like, bro, you know man, Laurians didn't do this. They would Why would they leave the best gar? This is a fight.
Speaker 1: They love the best They turned into.
Speaker 2: A tiny child's helmet, like just leave it me, it's.
Speaker 1: Not Their entire culture is based on finding any scrap of brain, returning it to the community and what like a chunk of the armor. Broker, come on, why how? Why?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, this is the neo Imperials. This is a neo imperialist plot, probably masterminded by mof Gidion and whoever he is. I agree to kill the Mandalorians.
Speaker 2: Okay, I got crazy. I got crazy. Other option, I just realized, I do believe it's a frame up, but this is an empty imperial shit. What if a Mandalorian had gone there to like scavenge it or look for the Dark Saber or something, and it was like Sabine doing some archaeologist kind of shit, that would be really cool, right like it? I do believe it's a frame up, but I feel like after we met zeb, I feel like Sabine. I had not expected that this could be a space where we could see her, but I'm feeling like, now, well that's more than likely.
Speaker 1: I kind of agree. Listen, if BoA's gonna go out there exactly and bring the Mandalorians together.
Speaker 2: Why would it be random Mandalorian. Surely you're gonna at least get one the most fast other Mandalorian that we haven't seen.
Speaker 1: I it makes so much sense to me that at least for the finale, the assault on mandalor when they fight whoever is behind all of these machinations around a Varo, it's we're gonna see her.
Speaker 2: We have to or at least some of her art. That's the other thing we haven't seen any of the iconic got Oh. I also just realized, thanks to these incredible notes by super producer Saw, next week's episode is Bryce Dlice Howard. I am so stoked because do you remember how like fucking game changing her Boba Fair episode? Like, I am ready to see what she does with this like frame up kind of mixture of this mystery where the New Republic's now going to potentially be seeing the Mandalorians as a threat, but we also have the Mandalorians doing like outreach for the first time and living publicly. I think that's going to be really interesting.
Speaker 1: I'm very, very very excited. What a fun episode, So much fun up next nerd Out.
Speaker 2: In today's nerd Out, where you tell us what you love and why, or tell us about a theory that you're excited to share, Mike shares some thoughts about what the end of the Mandalorian series could look like.
Speaker 1: Hey, Jason Rosie, long time, first time. In your recap of Mandalori in season three episode one, you talked about the potential for an epilogue time jump at the conclusion of the series to when Grogu could be the leader of Mandlor. I can't stop thinking about that possibility, and I want to build on that idea thirty ish years after. So this is this is Mike's idea, thirty ish years after his adventure with Din grog Who's sitting in a throne room on Mandelor. A mysterious figure enters who could it be a yellow lightsaber wielding race Gywalker. She's looking for other four sens of leaders of the galaxy to create some squort of new Jedi order. Wow, I do love this. I have seen I absolutely love it. We've seen how Disney has loved bringing back Star Wars actors into the movies and series on my best of course, and it seems like it could be a fun way to bring Daisy Ridland back to reprise her iconic role a handful of years from now after more seasons of the Mandalorian love the show. Thanks Mike, Mike. That's really cool. I love it. It's so much fun.
Speaker 2: I also think, like, look, we can waste fudge your timeline in Star Wars to fudget by may be a few centuries, you know what, you know what, maybe because he's got this connection to mandlaw and the Force. By the time he's like one hundred, he's a little bit more. You know, let's be real, Yoda was like eight hundred and he was looking old.
Speaker 1: He was we's the mid or that, you know, nine and change.
Speaker 2: Nine and change, Like he's living and he was old. So what I love about this is it makes a lot of sense as a fun theory to kind of expand upon because we know that they are connecting this to the trilogy series now, yes, like to the to the later trilogy. It's an idea of somehow connecting Ray after delving into this whole Palpatine situation. There's something really fun there. And I've always wanted to see a kind of young Jedi adventures like Jedi school, Jedi training, and it could be cooled to see Grogu represent a Mandalorian insight into that.
Speaker 1: I mean, listen, Grogu's going to be with us forever. There's no world in which.
Speaker 2: He will outlive us.
Speaker 1: He will outlive us. He will be here. They're making Star Wars movies at shows at sixty years grog and so see in Grogu, you know, it's only a matter of time until Grogu appears in a Star Wars movie. Like that will happen, right, it just feels like it'll happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just make a Stars movie called The Child. I mean it's not it's like they're making money quickly when that happens.
Speaker 1: Thanks Mike. If you have series or passions you want to share, hit us at x ray at crooked dot com instructions in the show notes. That's it for us. Rosie Plugs, bugs Buk Plugs, Bugs Plugs.
Speaker 2: You can find me here. Listen to xtra Vision. It's cool you're already listening to it, but keep doing it. We appreciate it. I'm Rosie Box at layer Box and Instagram. And yeah, just read comics. Read comics, bike. Come to your local comic book shop, ask them to start a poll list and buy some of those good comic books because they're the reason that we're all here talking about this stuff.
Speaker 1: Watch Primo on May nineteenth on Amazon FREEV wherever you stream.
Speaker 2: You better watch it. It's very good.
Speaker 1: Amazon FREEB May nineteenth, Watch Primo. Catch the next episode on Wednesday, April fifth for more Yellowjackets Plus do to popular demand, we'll be covering Succession on our Wednesday episodes in the previously on segment, and next week on our Friday episode, we'll also be covering the two episode finale of The Bad Batch, along side with the next episode of The Mandalorian. So folks catch.
Speaker 2: Up and yes, in case you have forgotten from me just telling you two seconds ago, laws remind you that we are bringing you two episodes a week from x ray Vision two. Subscribe on YouTube, where you can now watch full episodes of the shows as well as listening to them, and follow at XRB pod on Twitter where we're always sharing cool stuff. And check out the discord where you can meet a ton of great people, loads of fun conversations, super passionate and sometimes me and Jason hoop up.
Speaker 1: To five star ratings. Five star reviews. We love them, we gotta have them, you gotta give them to us. Here's one from Emily K a weekly bust love this pod. Historically not a comic reader, so getting insights into Mirrod stuff and the comics is great and inspiring me to pick up more comics and find your cares. Thank you, Emily, That's the dream. X ray Vision is a Crooked media production. The show is produced by Chris Lord and Soul Rubin. The show is executive produced by myself and Sandy Rhard are editing in Sound designers by Vascillis Phatopoulos, Delon Villanueva and Matt De Group provide video production support Alex Rella for Handle Social Media. Thank you Brian Vasquez for a theme music, See you X time Bye,