Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour.
Speaker 2: On this Monday, Best and Worst to the weekend more of your phone calls. We'll talk some college football. Greg McElroy of The Mothership will recap what we saw over the weekend, including Penn State losing at UCLA. Florida is back? What happened to Texas? Really? If you look at the top five to start the season, this is why those preseason polls, I know that we like them. They're for entertainment purposes and a lot of times we'll put so much value in that where we go, Man, what happened to you when maybe the analyst overrated your team or underrated your team? Like, man, that team came out of nowhere. Well, maybe if more people are doing their homework that we would we wouldn't have this fluctuation like that. You know that you look at Texas? How good is Texas? How good is Clemson? Is Florida actually good? Is Florida State really good? How good is Miami? You can go down the list here, And I think that's what it's dangerous to have those preseason polls because we put a lot of validity to them, and we shouldn't. It's for entertainment purposes. But that's when a team drops out and we go what happened to you? When maybe they weren't that good to begin with.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paul I had the top five college football rankings six weeks ago to open the season. Texas was number one, twenty five first place votes, Penn State number two, twenty three first place votes. Ohio State was third, Clemson was fourth. All got first place votes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought Clemson was going to be good. I did. Ohio State might be better than last year's team, and that should scare a lot of people North Carolina. I think the over under was eight and a half wins, and when they lose, they lose badly. Their losses are by an average of forty points. It's tough to get the And then Mike Lombardi, who is a longtime front office exec in the NFL and now working with Belichick at Carolina, said we're gonna go after freshman next year. They went after transfers this year they got I think seventy. Now they're going after freshman. That's not your immediate answer. If I'm a North Carolina fan, I'm like, well, okay, how long is Bill going to do this because we're going to count on freshmen to change our program. May take till they're juniors to really change our program. All right, Seaton Pole. Question for the final hour of the program. By the way, Sunday night, how about this, Jared Goff and the Lions go to Kansas City. They face Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs. The Chiefs are in Jacksonville. They're favored by three and a half tonight, all right, seton Pole, question.
Speaker 4: Who had the worst weekend?
Speaker 5: Ami de Mericado, James Franklin, the New York Yankees, or the Texas Longhorns. Right now, fifty nine percent of the audience have James Franklin, followed closely by well, actually not closely at all by the New York Yankees.
Speaker 2: Yeah, got roughed up by the Blue Jays. And uh, of course Todd thinks that the Yankee play by play announcer should have been a little more enthusiastic with the Vlad Guerrero Junior the third home run and a Grand Slam. And it sounded like this Carrera.
Speaker 6: At edition a two to one count.
Speaker 7: He's looking on the load right here, two one Pitt, he did he'd drive left pelf grand Slam.
Speaker 2: I love it. It was conversational and it led right into his call. Todd thought that he should have been a little more unbiased, less.
Speaker 8: Dismissive, maybe more acknowledging of the moment, an enthusiastic.
Speaker 2: Uh Turbo in Buffalo, Hey Turbo, Hey.
Speaker 9: Thanks Dan. I came up with a name for Todd for his traffic behavior blocking the left lane. Who's your boy up in Seattle?
Speaker 10: There?
Speaker 9: The catcher hits all the home runs. What's his nickname?
Speaker 2: Big dumper?
Speaker 9: Yes, so I think we should call Todd the big bumper.
Speaker 2: Oh, the big blumper? Okay, all right, thank you turboll.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 5: See was our other poll question, a local broadcaster should be a homer or down the middle.
Speaker 4: Do you want to guess the results on that one.
Speaker 2: I'm going to say seventy five percent homer.
Speaker 4: You would be short on that.
Speaker 5: That's we're up to eighty two A homer, not someone down the middle for your local broadcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's what I would want. I want him to be excited. I'm excited. I want him to feel pain. I feel pain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paul, you got to play to the home fans, but you cannot ignore the struggles of your franchise because that franchise pays you. Like, if you're the play by play person for a team that's stinks, you got to say they stink.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we're talking about the opposing team as just kid the grand in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but in general, with the pole question about being a homer, you could be a homer and you could have the energy of the home fans, but you got to call it out. We've seen guys, what the guy from the Orioles a few years ago got fired for calling out his terrible home team because they wanted to be a Rara guy.
Speaker 2: Well, the Mets broadcast team, you know, Ron Darling and Keith Hintz, they were very critical of the Mets at the end of the season.
Speaker 8: Yes, Todd, I think there's been a big moment in a happy moment, which I think is going in somewhat in line with what Paulie saying. I don't want to put words in his mouth, but there are happy moments and there are big moments on the grand stage. That's That's what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 2: We're going to disagree. That's fine, okay, because you're not changing I'm not changing.
Speaker 8: There was that eighteen percent out there that had my back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it feels like if we let that call.
Speaker 5: Going just a little further of the Yankees game where he goes Grand Slam and then off Mike, what you should have heard was, damn it, that's what everybody doing in their car was doing, or that's what everybody damn it not a Grand Slam?
Speaker 2: What the hell? Morgan in Maryland? Hi Morgan, welcome back. What do you have for me?
Speaker 11: Hey?
Speaker 12: Dan, So I got best and worst of the weekend. I'll start with worst. It's obviously the Ravens and you've touched on it earlier. It's like it's such uncharted territory for us, Like our defense has always been a powerhouse, and then we're just like and we can't navigate the waters. Even if like the people that we that were injured were playing, we still weren't doing well. And the Texans came in with like I think six touchdowns in four games and they just hammered us at home. It's just we're we're not good and it's really hard to watch. But since we're still the Ravens, I have a little bit of hope left. But you know, it's definitely doing the Lane week a week and Best of the weekend. It's not sports related, but my sister has been struggling with infertility for about two years and she just announced the family that she is pregnant and headed into our second trimesters. They were all the super.
Speaker 2: Pup awesome, awesome, Well thank you Morgan, go to hear from it. Congrats to your No, no, we're not doing happy pregnancy. Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 3: Do you think that John Harbaugh with the Ravens if they missed the playoffs is going to get the same or maybe it's time to try something different coverage.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I still think we focus way too much the national media on Mike Tomlin and his success and then lack of success in the postseason. I think John Harbaugh and Mike Tomlin are very similar, probably similar in age, both have one super Bowl, probably similar playoff record, I'm guessing. But you know, Tomlin is young. He's just going to be like sorry about all these other teams in the division. You know, I'm not going to apologize if we're going to have home field advantage for a game. But he does need to win a game. He needs to win a postseason game. They don't make changes with their coaches. But I don't know. I thought that this might be rogers last year and Tomlin's last year, so Tomlin in Pittsburgh and Rogers in his career. But you know, let's see how the season plays out, because maybe Rogers and they haven't been great, Rogers hasn't been spectacular. But all you got to do is just kind of hold serve here because you're seeing these teams get knocked off. Buffalo gets knocked off at home, Chargers get knocked off at home. It's still wild that you think there's parody and then you realize that, you know, the Jets are still in the league. The Titans got a gift there. You know, Carolina ends up winning. So there's some there's some good teams. I don't think there's great teams. I don't think Philadelphia is a great team this year. Detroit's not a great team. But that doesn't mean they can't win at all. It's just I don't think you've seen that. Oh boy, you don't want to face them? Yes, yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: I think John Harbaugh Ray he's coming up on I think almost twenty years of coaching that team and in that time they've had three losing seasons, maybe maybe two something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, only one ring.
Speaker 5: But I think that there's I think sometimes we underestimate the value in being competitive every single year and how great that is as a fan base. It's frustrating to not get over the hump, but it's it's way worse to have, you know, five coaches in ten years.
Speaker 4: That's a way worse train to.
Speaker 5: Be on than the team that's like, gosh, we're always competitive, we just can't get that final mile.
Speaker 4: I'll take that every day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but look at Pittsburgh, they're not happy with Mike tom One. They have a winning record every year, every single year, and then they get to the postseason and nothing's happened in a decade. So I can take regular season relevancy, but damn, I got to get a postseason win. And you know, we take coaches, you know, players for granted, like, okay, yeah, we had a winning record. Well it's difficult to have that, you know, sustainability, But you also then go, okay, we expect to have a winning record. Now, how about a win in the postseason. I mean, that's the progression you have as a fan. Hey, we're not very good. Hey, we're kind of good. Now we're good. Now we're competing. Now let's win a playoff game.
Speaker 13: Yeah, Marvin, Yeah, I can see the Steelers fans frustration because their expectations is to win a Super Bowl because they have six of them. So now you're not even winning a playoff game, so the frustration is mounding up.
Speaker 2: Brian in Illinois, Hi, Brian, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 14: H Dan?
Speaker 15: First time, long time. My best of the weekend was my five hour road trip to Indianapolis to watch my Raiders with my daughter at bonding time. Had my snake Stabler Jersey on really have a good time. My worst was watching Geno Smith quarterback the Raiders.
Speaker 14: That was not watchable.
Speaker 15: However, I didn't have as bad as weekend as Mark Stanchez hair the dog Mark at the moon moment that got way out of control.
Speaker 2: Yeah, still waiting for more information on that. But he was released from the hospital. Now going to jail and we'll find it. He's got charges against him, so I think charge with three different three charges there, I think with Mark the colonel in Tampa, Hey, colonel.
Speaker 16: Good morning, General Dan. Hey, listen, we are in creams to cool Heaven here. Not a worst of Dan, but you know, thanks for letting me start the weekend off with Charlie Sheen, which always hearkens me back to nineteen eighty seven standing in front of an infantry platoon saying what are your concerns? And they go, you suck. We saw a platoon, but luckily we kept Heartbreak Ridge VHS in our back pocket. Hey, listen, my best of My lovely spouse got us tickets yesterday for Steve Martin. Martin short at four pm during the Bucks game, but wonderful time. And we walked out to a full parking lot and I got to watch the second half of the Bucks game while the parking lot cleared. Dan, you've talked about Tampa Bay. I will just say leadership and character counts. And lastly, Dan, you're our general. Please keep control of your privates, especially private Fritsy.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you Colonel David in Cincinnati, Hi, David.
Speaker 17: Hidip, thanks for the call.
Speaker 18: Yeah a few times, long time decrepit five Okay, best my Florida Gators chomp. Did this jump the worst Cincinnati Bengals And really, if you look back to the offseason, they drafted Shamar Stewart seventeenth overall, if you wanted to let T Higgins walk, you could have just maybe looked at the Ohio state wide receiver who led all time and receptions. There a Mecca BUCA draft him. Let T Higgins walk, There's an idea go all defense after that, or however you want to do it. And lastly, stout of the day, you want to cueue up the music.
Speaker 17: I'll try to hit the mark.
Speaker 10: With ten minutes left to go in the third quarter, Jamark Schafs, Bengals number one wide receiver, best receiver in football, was tied for the team lead and tackles with three.
Speaker 2: That of the day brought you by Panini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. That's funny and it's sad. When we come back, Greg McElroy, we'll look back on the college football weekend. More of your phone calls as well on this Monday Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Back after this, be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 19: He's Mike Carmen, I'm Dan Bayern. We have a brand new fantasy football podcast called I Want Your Flex. Twice a week, every Tuesday and Friday, we come up with new episodes to not only look back at what happened, what you need to do at that minute, and also look ahead of what's coming up in the fantasy football world.
Speaker 1: That's right, Dan.
Speaker 20: Every week we're gonna scour the waiver wire to find the pickups to turbot boost your fantasy lineup. Six starts, fantasy football players rankings to get you ready to dominate the competition.
Speaker 19: Listen to I Want Your Flex with Mike Carmen and me Dan Beyer on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts and wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: More phone calls coming up. Greg McElroy college football analyst for the mother Ship and a host of Always College Football podcast from ESPN and Omaha Productions. By the Way, ABC Saturday Night Football, Georgia visiting Auburn and Greg will be on the call with Sean McDonough and Molly McGrath. The Deep sounds oldest rivalry. It's Georgia and Auburn. All right, Where do you want to start a good game or a bad game? I'll let you pick well, it's in the eye of the beholder.
Speaker 21: Dan, I'll let you direct it where you want to go, because the ugliest games are sometimes the prettiest in my eyes, because I'm a football junkie and a bit of a say so, I'll let you direct traffic, my friend.
Speaker 2: Right, should we be focusing on what UCLA did or what Penn State didn't do?
Speaker 6: A little of both.
Speaker 21: I hate to do the cop out answer there and straddle defense. But UCLA was great, and I think their quarterback. You run into a hot quarterback in college football with talent, you're going to have some challenges, which means you got to go outscore them. And sometimes that happens. Sometimes your defense doesn't have their best stuff. But to me, this was not about effort. I looked at Penn State and a lot of people were saying, oh, well, they were flat. When I watched it, I was like, they weren't flat, They just weren't making plays. They were out schemed. They gave up multiple third and longs to run game quarterbacks scramble in particular, which killed them. The third and fifteen, the third and eleven both converted with the quarterback scramble. Third and seven leads to a fifty two yard scramble. That three just with the quarterbacks legs and one with the running backs legs. So that was huge. The thing that was most troubling to me was a little bit how James Franklin handled the post game. If I'm gonna be completely honest, just some of the excuses. Travel issues. We lost guys last week, we lost guys during practice this week, guys didn't have enough energy. To me, that's gonna fall on deaf ears considering the week before, Oregon travels three time zones to beat you in your house in a whiteout.
Speaker 6: So I guess I just don't understand why.
Speaker 21: He took to the podium and went about it that way as opposed to just taking ownership and saying, hey, we got to be better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you on that. I don't want to hear these coaches complain about time zones. You know, Lincoln Riley going to Illinois, this is what you signed up for. This is the Big Ten. This is Big Ten football, and that means you're going coast to coast. This is what your athletic directors signed up for. So find a way to deal with it. I was hoping for a little more with Vandy and Alabama the game you did, you know, you look back on what happened last year, and I think we thought we would get a little more Diego Pavia magic there. Maybe Alabama is a really good team. How would you assess what you've seen so far?
Speaker 21: I think they are very good. I think both teams, by the way, are very good. And if not for the strip of Diego Pavia going in where it could have been fourteen to nothing and now Alabama's now playing from behind, very much changed the game. That was the biggest moment in the game was that strip in the red zone and the fumble recovery for the Tide.
Speaker 6: I think Alabama one.
Speaker 21: Thing in this game more than anything else Dan They showed the ability to weather the storm. They showed the ability to absorb the punch, and that was not something they did very well last year.
Speaker 6: Under killing the boor. They didn't do that very well against Florida State.
Speaker 21: They got punched early in this game, and they responded, so that to me is progress. They also made some adjustments defensively that I thought were really really good, and that's not something they've done consistently at times.
Speaker 6: In the last couple of years.
Speaker 21: They adjusted their alignment just to where the defensive backs and the linebackers.
Speaker 6: Were off the ball. That was helpful.
Speaker 21: So I really like Vanderbilt by the way, Like everyone looks at Vanderbilt to look at the name, to look at the historical significance, and they will dismiss them automatically, whereas we've seen with teams like Indiana, with team like Vanderbilt, where you can be very different in this new era with nil support, and they are really good.
Speaker 6: This was big for Bama to get this win.
Speaker 21: It doesn't get much easier to go on the road to Missouri this week, and that's a team that runs for over three hundred nearly three hundred yards a game, so they'll have their handsful on the road this one. And at eleven o'clock kick, they're in Columbia, Missouri, which would be tough against top fifteen opponents. So this is a very tough stretch for Alabama. This I think was proof that they have matured as a program, given how they performed against Vandy compared to how they performed last year. But it doesn't get any easier as the challenges still lie ahead.
Speaker 2: Heisman race is wide open.
Speaker 6: You got somebody, has there ever been one that's this wide open? By the way for seven.
Speaker 2: Weeks, But I thought that coming in that it felt wide open, just because last year wasn't wide open, right, you know? I think arch people thought that, you know, this foregone conclusion, Texas to be good. He'll be good, they'll play for a national title and you win the Heisman in the process. Well, that hasn't gone as scripted. So who do you have?
Speaker 21: Well, right now, I think the biggest Heisman moment of the season could come this weekend, and that's between two guys that are among the front runners. With Fernando Mendoza in Indiana who's playing lights out football to the first five games of the year, but this will be by far the biggest stage he's playing on. It'll be a nationally consumable audience. Yes, it's up against Red River rivalry at the same time, but for the most part, man, everyone's curious what he's going to do now on the road against a really good Oregon football team and then Oregon's quarterback Dante More.
Speaker 6: Those two guys are going head to head.
Speaker 21: I feel like I'm watching the program and it's you know, Joe Caine against Tim wayman. I mean, it's all about the quarterbacks in this game for whatever reason, right, you know you love that that drop for sure, But to me, it's kind of interesting that one those two I think are right there.
Speaker 6: I think ty Simpson is ascending, but.
Speaker 21: Big opportunities lie ahead for ty Simpson to kind of have that Heisman moment, whether it's against LSU, perhaps it's against Oklahoma when John Mattier, who's also in that mix, even though he's hurt right now, if they play there in mid November, that could be big. Of course, the SEC Championship game if they get there's big. And then I'll throw a little dark horse at you. Trinidad Shambliss Ole Miss. This kid is the real deal, man. I mean, I am a believer, I really am. I think he's that good. And he was a D two player last year at Fairs State. No one really knew who he was. But I remember doing their game week two and Lane Kiff and Sean McDonagh asked Lane, Hey, Lane, what else do we need to know about your team? And he goes, yeah, just so you know my backup quarterback if he goes in the game this guy's going to cause a lot of problems.
Speaker 6: And sure enough he.
Speaker 21: Goes in these last few weeks and he's been unstoppable and against quality competition to l us use no joke on defense?
Speaker 2: What's North Carolina going to have to do? Big picture? And I know it's it's early. You got to have patients. They brought in all of these transfers, which I said, to be fair to Belichick, give him a month and then maybe you're going to find out if this team is any good. But then when one of his guys on his staff, Mike Lombardi, said, we're going to focus on freshmen next year, well that means you got to have even more patience. If you're going to be focusing on recruits next year, how long do you know if North Carolina is any good?
Speaker 21: Uh No, I don't think they're very good. I do think last week was not necessarily the best indicator of what's going on in the future because Clemson, whow they've struggled in the first four weeks of the season, it was a kind of a get right off contunity for like, I just had a feeling that game was going to go that way, like Clemson was due and North Carolina's got a whole host of issues. Now they've had some injuries, so you could point to that, But the big problem is that when you look at what Bill Belichick has done traditionally, and what he does well is take away teams top tendencies, and they haven't really done that very well, and part of that is a lack of talent and it's going to take some time. So I don't think he's in jeopardy of losing his job or anything like that. I think that's way too premature. I mean, he's four or five games into his tenure as a college coach. But I also think at some point you have to sow some progress because the recruits that you're recruiting are also being actively recruited by other teams. And if you can show the recruits, hey, there's some doubt with North Carolina, then they're going to be more open to listening to overtures from other programs, even though they're currently committed to the Targeels. So I think as long as recruiting's good, they're in good shape. But how long will recruiting be good if things spin off?
Speaker 2: The rails scholarship offers? Did you get.
Speaker 21: I don't remember exactly, but probably like thirty five in that vicinity.
Speaker 6: All the smart schools Dan.
Speaker 21: That was all I had, all the smart schools like Alabama and some others, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Okay, did Shaban come to the house?
Speaker 21: Saban wasn't there. Actually he got there the following year. So I got recruited by Mike Shula, son of Don and current offensive coordinator of the South Carolina game cock.
Speaker 6: So that was who recruited me.
Speaker 21: And him and a guy named Bob Connolly came to the house and it made the offer and I committed pretty quickly. My parents don't even know I was going there, but thought it was a good decision and ended up working out pretty good.
Speaker 2: If not Alabama, where would you have gone.
Speaker 6: It's kind of a tough call.
Speaker 21: I probably would have ended up at either North Carolina, but kind of my final groups were North Carolina.
Speaker 6: Miss Alabama.
Speaker 21: I was committed to Texas Tech for a bit, probably wasn't going to end up there because they had taken another guy as well. And then late to the party were some teams that were coming in, like USC was really good at that point. They relate to the party, so a little different era back then where you get offered your senior year as opposed to like in seventh grade, So it's changed a lot.
Speaker 2: Did you back up Chase Daniel in high school?
Speaker 6: I did?
Speaker 2: Okay, we just we just had him on last hour.
Speaker 6: Oh nice? So he opened to you, Carl Dragons.
Speaker 21: I should have put the dragon helmet out here and see who would have had more stars on the on the side of the helmet like Buckeye stickers.
Speaker 6: I think Chase probably had a few more than I did.
Speaker 2: Great to catch up with you, have fun with Georgia and Auburn coming up this weekend.
Speaker 6: Thank you always, great to be with you, buddy, See soon.
Speaker 2: That's Greg McElroy the Always College Football podcast, and he's of course got the game coming up Saturday night on ABC and Georgia Impaul.
Speaker 3: Yes, South Lake Carroll High School in Texas a football powerhouse. That has to be the first time we've had two guys who went to high school together on the same show. Yeah, it has to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah. A couple more phone calls here, Jason in Atlanta, Hi, Jas, what do you have for me?
Speaker 7: Yes, sir Dan, always a pleasure to talk to you. Shout out to the dan Nest want to do the best and worst of the weekend. I'm gonna start off with the worst. The worst has absolutely got to be the quarterback play of the Bengals. I see why the NFL does everything they can to keep these dudes up right. When your leading tackler is one of your running back wide receivers, that's never a good thing. So go ahead, Bengals, come and get Kirk Cousins from us. Take them off our hands. We'd appreciate it. But the best of the weekend, they showed him on CBS when his team, a son's team was about to win, and just watching that father have so much joy seeing his son get to win over there at UCLA was absolutely incredible. So we got to get him on make a song about that. One final thing was stuck behind a pass hop the other day and immediately I said to myself, what the fritz is going on?
Speaker 2: Thank you? Jason. Yeah. Rick new Weiseel works for CBS Sports and he's watching the UCLA Penn State game and his son is the offensive coordinator and he's reacting when they had a big stop and his son was promoted to offensive coordinator and certainly changing some things there, at least offensively at UCLA. Lucas in Texas, Hi, Luke, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 22: Hey Dan, good morning, Good morning. I wanted to call in with the best of the weekend. First, I loved the South Lake Carol shout out. That was a great run for South Carolin. They're it's really good here in the lone star state. My best, I only have a best. It was a great weekend and the early window on Saturday gave us a real treatment. Some Service Academy football, Navy versus Air Force Academy. You had a shootout, you had actual passing, and to that hind, my best is Eli. I think it's Heide and rich Hide and Reich scored three touchdowns, had over two hundred yards, got to jump into his dad's arm after one of those touchdowns, and has set the career Naval Academy record with fourteen career touchdown reception. By comparison, the Almia School record is held by DeVonta Smith with forty six. So still a ways to go to climb those ranks, but a great weekend overall. Always enjoy watching it.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Lucas. Brandon in Indianapolis, Hi, Brandon.
Speaker 23: Hey, DV, thanks taking a call, a longtime listener, first time caller. I'm a huge Kentucky fan. I'll just go ahead and just say that. So you guys are talking about John Harbaugh here with the Ravens comparison. You know, with their careers, you got uh one championship, all the talent in the world. You know, I'm seeing right.
Speaker 2: Now, So you're seeing John John Harbaugh, John cali Perry.
Speaker 23: Yeah, I think it's it's the same thing. You know, they'd been there for a long time and got one championship, and you know they make the playoffs every year. Mccurament, every year. Huge's appointment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's a fair comparison. Because John cal Perry loves to come on and tell us how many players are playing in the NBA, and I wanted to tell him off the air. You got to play to your alumni, to your boosters, to the fans. They don't care that Devin Booker's making sixty million dollars in the NBA. They want to know what kind of success he had there. Anthony Davis got a thirty million dollar home. I don't care what. You know, what did Kentucky do but he would always lead with that. And look, I know that he recruits and he's going to have you there for a year. He wants you to go on to bigger things. That's how he gets you. He wants to get you ready for the pros. I just I wanted to tell him it doesn't sound good when you tell me about all of these great players who have passed through and you've got one national title.
Speaker 13: Yes, Marvin, Yeah, it's gonna really annoy the fan base when seven out of twenty four NBA All Stars with the Kentucky and we're coached by you, Like, where are the national championships you have won?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Bruce and Florida? Hi Bruce, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 24: Hey?
Speaker 1: Bruce?
Speaker 2: John and Georgia. Hi John, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 2: How you doing?
Speaker 14: Dan? I've been listening to you for many many years.
Speaker 15: I just love you guys.
Speaker 6: You're just great.
Speaker 16: Could you guys wish me a happy birthday?
Speaker 22: I just turned seventy nine today.
Speaker 2: Alrighty presence, have.
Speaker 6: A great day.
Speaker 2: John. I was going to say, you know, call me when you get to eighty. I mean, seventy nine is not that big a deal, but eighty No, I'm just joking, Marvin. Marvin, not everybody gets my sense of humor. Yes, Todd and usually calling to wish someone.
Speaker 8: Else a happy birthday. I like that he took it upon himself, wish me a happy birthday.
Speaker 18: That's great?
Speaker 2: Wrong that, Yeah, Paul, what is officially old?
Speaker 3: It doesn't feel like seventy five is old anymore. Doesn't you gotta be over seventy five?
Speaker 25: Like if you hadn't. How's your dad doing? Oh he's good. He just turned seventy five the other day. Oh I didn't realize he was that old.
Speaker 1: Old.
Speaker 2: Well I've been I see Belichick and Pete Carroll. Yes, and Pete Carroll doesn't act like he's whatever. Seventy three or seventy four. Nobody retire check certainly doesn't act like that.
Speaker 6: Yes, that is an interesting question.
Speaker 8: When they say someone died of natural causes, are of old age? What is that starting number? They never really say where that is.
Speaker 2: I would say late seventies.
Speaker 25: Yeah, I'm old, like seventy eight.
Speaker 2: Like John and George is old. Yeah, but he might be a young seventy nine. Yeh see.
Speaker 4: I think it's not to.
Speaker 5: Go all meta on us, but I do kind of think that there are some eighty year olds who are very young and some.
Speaker 4: Sixty year olds who are so old. Yeah. I think it is a little bit of the way you carry yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I got it. I get it. I mean I forget how old I am sometimes, yes, Marmon.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you like to play the obituary game where you see somebody's you know, John Smith age whatever. Yeah, all right, he lived a good life. There's a funeral, and there's a celebration of life. You want to be in a celebration of left category?
Speaker 2: How old do you have to be to be the he lived a good life.
Speaker 25: Over eighty two.
Speaker 3: It's not like a shame, oh he died early. If you're like if you die at eighty three, like, oh you got a full one, full run.
Speaker 2: Yes, Todd.
Speaker 8: There's definitely a difference between a full life and a good life. You could have lived to only one hundred and two and have a miserable.
Speaker 3: Existence, Uh, Paul, Yeah, seat's right about like how you behave at an age.
Speaker 25: I have a buddy who did very well for himself.
Speaker 3: He retired at forty eight, and he and his wife sit around he reads the paper for hours on end, they take walks, she knits, and they go to dinner at about five oh two every night. And they're in their early.
Speaker 4: Fifties, straight up octagenarian behavior. Yes, yes, I definitely know eighty year old people who are more active than that.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I think they live in the villages in Florida.
Speaker 25: Hey, he always says, I gotta get my steps in. I'm like steps and you mean to go for a walk or a stroll?
Speaker 2: Have you been you guys aware of the villages And oh yeah, oh yeah, yeah that they get after it there.
Speaker 4: I'm on now, get your penicillin on thet Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then depending on how you dress up your golf cart, you're open for business or.
Speaker 8: Oh okay, I thought it was just pick and shuffle board.
Speaker 14: Do something.
Speaker 2: It's kind of pickleball and shuffle.
Speaker 14: Heck, yeah, let's go.
Speaker 13: Yeah, Doris, what's up?
Speaker 11: Hey?
Speaker 12: Hey?
Speaker 2: Girlfriend? H all right, last call for phone called what we learned Once in store tomorrow?
Speaker 25: Did you see Alice?
Speaker 2: Oh, We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen.
Speaker 2: Live, Dodgers at the Phillies Tonight, Cubs are the Brewers, Chiefs at the Jaguars. Chiefs are favored by three and a half on the road. By the way, updated Draft Kings World Series odds, Dodgers still big favorite. Then it's the Blue Jays, followed by the Brewers, Mariners, Tigers, Phillies, Cubs, and the Yankees are at the bottom. Well, that can't helped that they're down two to Toronto. Last call for phone calls, what we learned, what's in store tomorrow? All of that coming up? Russell and Vegas. Hi, Russ, What's what's on your mind?
Speaker 14: I have a best in the worst first time longtime five penn one seventy five hard. My worst of the weekend was the build discipline last night. Terrible, hore awful second lee. My best of the weekend is hockey season starts next Wednesday for us out here in vgk Land in Vegas. Uh, you guys have my crystal puck there in the man cave.
Speaker 26: I appreciate it.
Speaker 14: We had an emotional ceremony on October first because of the shooting that happened. And then third, yes, I was in the car driving my wife to the hospital. She's a nurse, and she was listening to the whole pass whole situation, and she said, that's you, that's you. I said, well, I'm doing I'm doing twenty miles over the speed limit. Everybody else in the right lanes are going slower. I need to get somewhere. Maybe the passhole lane is for people that are looking for bagels that are gonna expire.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you Ross, thank you big wind up there. But I drive differently. I'm so aware of being in the left lane, how long I'm in the left lane, how fast I'm going in the left lane, just because of you toadd.
Speaker 8: And now I am too actually believe it or not not to just get on the good side of everyone who hates me out there, if the t shirts and whatever we're doing. But I am more acknowledging of what's going on, and maybe maybe I need to move over a little bit. At times, I still don't appreciate being my having my bumpet ridden.
Speaker 2: On Jim and Michigan. Hi Jim, what's on your mind?
Speaker 24: Hey Dan?
Speaker 11: You guys are begging asking the question about how do you know when you're old or getting in that elderly state is when the artists that are assigned to play the halftime show the Super Bowl show up and you don't know who they are, and then your artists that you do like are now cover stories on the AARP magazine.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Jim. I'm not true. I wasn't familiar with everybody that was you know, the rap group that I mean, Kendrick Lamar, I'm aware of. I know he's great, famous, but I'm not familiar with his music. Drake, I'm not familiar with his music. By the way, I had a four and a half hour drive to Maine and I listened to Taylor Swift's album a couple of times. Okay, hell yeah. There's a lot of a lot of a lot of eggs in their Easter eggs in there or whatever they're called. Where there's a hidden message there if you hidden message, A couple not so hidden messages. She's getting a little saucy, you know, a little flirty here, a little spicy, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 13: But isn't she like thirty five? Yeah, she should be a little spicy on windows.
Speaker 2: Well, she didn't even do anuendo talking about Travis and as Kelsey, Like I'm going Okay, all right, Taylor.
Speaker 4: A song meat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like would.
Speaker 14: That's like.
Speaker 4: That. It's the exact same scenario. It's the exact same meaning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I wish she would have been a little more discreet because you got a lot of girls, young girls who look up to her, and she wasn't discreet on on one song. Nope, she wasn't disappointed in Taye with that. But I did like the album. I thought it was you know, it's clever, fun Jimmy and Michigan. But if you're Travis Kelce, you're going to get a whole album dedicated to you if if this doesn't go off as scripted here, he's going to get a whole album if they don't get married or something bad happens. Okay, Jimmy, Hi Dan, Hey jim.
Speaker 24: How are you doing great?
Speaker 26: Hey, I'm not. I was going to listen to the whole People's string. But I'm eighty one, still delivering the auto parts should shops here in Michigan, and I retired about ten years ago, got bored with it, went back to work, work five days a week, keep going strong.
Speaker 2: Good for you, Jimmy. Yeah, that worries me when I when people go, oh, yeah, I'm going to retire. I'm like, man, I'm going to retire from the show, but I'm not going to retire because I could not do that. But staying busy, Hell yeah, yeah, Todd.
Speaker 8: I'd rather take a NAPA in cel auto park.
Speaker 26: So that's just me.
Speaker 2: Okay, got bat Yeah, No, don't encourage him. Butcher in Pennsylvania high Butcher.
Speaker 24: Morning, Dan, How are you good?
Speaker 1: Butch?
Speaker 24: I'm a five to ten and a half stout but injured two sixties A stout but injured. Philimry driver to sixty. Sorry, get a little messed.
Speaker 2: Up there, Okay?
Speaker 24: Uh one a quant I'm a dolphins and a penn State apologist, they both think.
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 24: Next question is is a knee replacement.
Speaker 2: Surgery? Is that a knee replace a surgery or as No, it's not a procedure. No, that is surgery. And if you haven't had it, that recovery time the first two weeks are brutal, brutal. That was some of the worst pain I ever went through. But good luck with that. But replacement, that is a surge.
Speaker 8: Is there any body part that you can replace where it would not be considered surgery from teeth to anything. I think anytime you're replacing an organ or a body part, that's got to be surgery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean I've had a lot of surgeries. You've had a lot of procedures, Okay for Fritzy Seaton, Marv, Paula, yours. Truly. I have a great Monday, everybody. We'll look forward to talking with you tomorrow.