Speaker 1: Following is the production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go.
Speaker 3: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Ready for a break?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And so much for that.
Speaker 1: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com. Were with Nick Heatman, Brian brought Us and Bar Garcia and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 6: It is Wednesday, May tenth, twenty twenty three, Season nineteen, episode number six. Welcome to the latest edition of The Break Life Next WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star were presented by Miller like the only Beer of the Dallas Cowboys got Nick, Brian Andamber here with me today. We were talking Cowboys football for the next forty five minutes. And this is a busy week around here. Got a lot going on tomorrow night. If you haven't heard the schedule released, the NFL schedule will be pushed out. We will obviously be pushing ours out as every team will, and we'll have some interesting content for you guys, so make sure you stay tuned for that. Real quick though, I want to get some thoughts from you guys on are.
Speaker 3: You worried about any other teams you're competing against this share you're worried about.
Speaker 6: We're competing against everybody and nobody like what I mean by that, you worried about.
Speaker 3: You worried about like the Buccaneers coming with something off the Pirates share.
Speaker 6: So honestly, honestly, teams will take shot at us, but that's not really the lane we play in.
Speaker 2: We kind of float above all that stuff, like our brands above this.
Speaker 6: What we typically do, as you notice, is we've leaned into the whole, you know, celebrity thing. We do the fun videos and uh and so we got we got some stuff planned for for fans.
Speaker 2: I think they'll appreciate it. I think you'll be really good.
Speaker 3: I'm sure at the end of the day they'll get hand you the award.
Speaker 2: We'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 6: But look, you know they we let them do their thing. And by the way, I'll never disparage another team. The only teams that lose this week are the ones that do nothing, and most of them will do something. And if you do something that engages your fan base, more power to you. You're doing the right stuff. We just have our own lane, and we say.
Speaker 4: In that.
Speaker 7: This has become like one of the biggest.
Speaker 8: Oh sure type of videos are put out every year. This is what would you compare this to in this world?
Speaker 2: Nothing?
Speaker 6: And I'm smarting sports media. For NFL clubs, this is the biggest thing that any team does all year. And it didn't used to be like this. I remember when I first started working for the Cowboys. I remember Nick came to my office one day and was like, Hey, it's schedules coming out tomorrow, and this had to be early two thousands, and I was like okay, and he was like, yo, you know we can get this out like it's a big deal, get it out quick. And back then it was just like how fast can you get it out? But to me, I was always thinking, that's kind of silly. We won't have any games until later. I can look at it later, I don't care. But over the years I started to realize, like, fans wait for this day because they start making plans around it. So it's become a big deal, and the NFL has done a good job of capitalize on that so much so to where now it has become the big deal for everybody to put out their best content to announce the schedule.
Speaker 2: Release, and that's actually a pretty cool thing.
Speaker 9: I like it.
Speaker 2: It gets me excited.
Speaker 8: Well, you was gonna say, you're not in the middle of the season trying to get this production put together even though you only have a couple of days literally, less than a couple of days too.
Speaker 2: Literally.
Speaker 6: Our editors, Drew Ferguson and Connor McMahon, they're hard at work right now. I think last night when I talked to them there, it was it was around midnight. They were still working when they sent me there the last message, and they're still working hard on this thing to get it ready. So it is a it is a labor of love for our team, but it's a big deal.
Speaker 3: Were you guys the first Were you guys the first to do this?
Speaker 2: No, we were among the first.
Speaker 6: When we did the post Malone video, that was when I think it got taken to another level. But there were other teams that were doing it around the same time. They just that's when I think it was like, Okay, game on. I think everybody started saying Okay, here we go. And and last year you could look at the quality of the videos the teams are putting out and you saw, oh yeah, it's at a different level now.
Speaker 10: Teams are taking this really seriously, so it'll be fun.
Speaker 3: It'll be fun.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about the schedule though.
Speaker 6: You look at the Cowboys schedule and obviously right now what we know are the home in the away games. We don't know dates yet. I'll run down the list. Here's who the Cowboys are playing at home. It's the Giants, the Eagles, Washington, Detroit, the Rams, New England, the Jets and Seattle. And then the road teams that they'll the play teams will play on the road be the Giants, A, Philly and Washington again, and then Arizona, Buffalo, Carolina, the Chargers, Miami and San Francisco. When the schedule comes out tomorrow, what particular things will you guys be looking at And is there anything that's important from the standpoint of the team that would matter when it comes to wins and losses.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I.
Speaker 11: Think there are certain things you look at.
Speaker 12: You can always look at December January and you know how's it going to end, even though that's kind of a tricky thing to do because you don't know how this team's going to be, what the other teams look like. There's always going to be three or four curve balls in there that you think and that's not gonna be a tough game, or that will be a tough game, and it turns out the other way. So you know, you just kind of I think you really just look at the first month and the last month and just kind of see from there on based off what you think. Maybe you know, three road games in a row or three home games in a row stretcher or something like that. But it's tough to it's tough to tell. There's gonna be a lot of people that'll have the whole schedule like their wins win, loss, loss, but you don't really it's it's just something to do in May.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I kind of look at that stretch of win those games.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: We talked about this on one O five three yesterday was what games those There's some difficult road games along the way that you're going to have to deal with that. The San Francisco one will be a difficult one, the Buffalo one will be a difficult one. You have to deal with. Philadelphia is always one because it's the division opponent that you have to deal with. So I was kind of always thinking, how do they how do they space out the difficult games, do they give you an opportunity or are they going to put them all like in the same area those You know, how many times are you you having to make those trips? Are you guys having to make those trips across the country to play these games and stuff like that. So that's where I always look at. You know that the last game is going to be a division game, and it's probably going to be Philadelphia, you know, because that's where I think that the schedule makers look at. They say, who are the two favorites in the division? Even though I think it's gonna be a really tough division, they probably say it's going to come down to Dallas and Philly. And so I could see them that last game. When when is that game? And and is that going to get going to be in Philadelphia or is it going to be on the road. That's the one I always kind of look at.
Speaker 8: What I'm looking at is what's happening Christmas weekend? What are we going to do with our Christmas weekend? No, but what game was it where we.
Speaker 7: Had that tough stretch this past year? Nick?
Speaker 8: You have the good memory, what game you remember we had just a tough little stretch there where the Cowys didn't really get much rest.
Speaker 12: It's usually right around that Thanksgiving yeah, ten games. Yeah, it's always kind of right in there and then what happens after things.
Speaker 8: But I feel this past year it was a lot closer than what it usually is, where you had some extra days at it in there when it was just too soon for the cows they didn't get enough right, Oh.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 12: It was the Sunday at Jacksonville, then they got Saturday at home against Philly, and then the next Thursday was at Tennessee. And so it was in a span of like twelve days you played three games.
Speaker 3: Were they gonna make tough. They're going to make you play probably Thursday Thursday back to back. They're going to probably because the league now both it doesn't matter. You could play two Thursday games, So you're likely going to get your Thanksgiving Day game and then probably the next Thursday. They've done that before. They didn't do it last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, last year ironically like that.
Speaker 3: But but your previous years. I have a feeling they're gonna try and get you back into that rotation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see how that goes.
Speaker 8: But yeah, when you well, the thing I'm looking at is when you have those types of weeks, it is kind of difficult. When you talk about a young team overall, do you know that they're not necessarily accustomed to maybe that kind of intensity in the NFL, plus the amount of recovery time, and one thing that they've talked about several players this offseason is kind of working on their body and and just taking care of their body and their recovery and all that. So it just it's interesting to me seeing how it affects players in the way they play. When you talk about younger guys, guys that you're gonna need, and you talk about the draft picks, I think there are a lot of guys in there that not necessarily are going to be starters, but you're definitely gonna need them, And just kind of seeing how it translates onto the field and their recovery time.
Speaker 6: You know, Honestly, I actually wonder if that's an advantage for a young team. I know they're not accustomed to it, but as we all know, because we're getting older, when you're younger, you recover a lot faster than you do as you get older. And I wonder if you've got a younger team having those short turnarounds or more of those games when you have short turnarounds, if that's actually better because your body can bounce back a little faster than maybe if you had a team full of thirty plus year olds.
Speaker 2: Right, it is, And I don't know.
Speaker 6: I've never played an NFL game, so I really couldn't tell you what it requires. But it does make me wonder if that's actually an advantage for a young team.
Speaker 3: Christmas Day is Giants in Philadelphia if you want to saw that on a Monday night. So you just gotta worry about the twenty fourth is when you gotta worry.
Speaker 6: And actually that's the cool thing about it is I'm more worried about, like, as long as we're not on Christmas Day, because then if you're on Christmas Day, you know there's a possible there's a fifty percent chance you could be on the road, which means you're now gone Christmas Eve into Christmas Day. That ain't ever fun. So we know that's not gonna be us issue.
Speaker 12: I saw that Black Friday game. That's actually terrible for a road team. Yeah, that's the worst. They just announced that by the way, Yeah, I mean like Jets and Dolphins, I believe, And it's like, I mean that should have been. That should have been like Jets and Patriots, ors, that should have been something really really closer than that, because you know, whoever's on the road, you leave on Thanksgiving Day and then you're all day Friday, and we know, you know, Thanksgiving is when when you get together, I mean, whenever it is, you have to figure it out. But if you're on a road team, you leave on Thursday and you're gone all day Friday for that night game, that's that's a tough one. That's actually just as tough as Christmas.
Speaker 6: And as we all know, I know for my family, this is what we do. We actually take Friday to be our Thanksgiving dinner, right, So now that's completely out if you're playing on Friday, so you miss Thursday because you're traveling, and you miss Friday when you would typically be able to kind of make that up. So yeah, that's honestly, these are the hard things that a lot of fans don't think about for players and their families and how they have to adapt to the NFL.
Speaker 11: Sch Christmas they just announced Christmas Night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Christmas is Philadelphia and the Giants train.
Speaker 11: I mean that's the way it should be. I mean, yeah, it is do that kind of stuff.
Speaker 12: It's quick and maybe even the day of you could possibly even say we're going to go the day of the game.
Speaker 3: I don't think the legal let you do that. They don't you have to be in. I think it's there's a roll on hours they have to be in before a game.
Speaker 10: All right, Nick cale Roger, get that change is get that fixed.
Speaker 3: Hey, you can do the preseason the preseason once.
Speaker 12: The only time I've ever been late, Yeah, the only time I've ever really been late was to the one time.
Speaker 11: Where we went the day of the game going to Denver.
Speaker 6: And you got told don't let that happen, and it had go through the back and go through the back, through the playing, through the players.
Speaker 2: And they're like you're the one that was holding this up right. Yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it was the worst.
Speaker 12: It was like worse than I mean, Michael Evan wasn't on that trip anymore, but it was like it was the first year Michael wasn't on the trip in two thousand, you know, because you know that was the thing, you know, when you were traveling and Michael was on the trip. It was like, what time is he going to be there?
Speaker 2: As long take off? When Michael gets here.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I remember when I first started working here one of the trips, Yes, that was that was London. Well no, no, no, I'm talking about I wasn't there. I wasn't there. But when I started working here, you know, you know, I used to what time you got a head down to the buses and all that, and I remember I'm like, oh crap, I'm running late.
Speaker 7: You're trying to figure out what.
Speaker 8: Floor you need to go to to security and all that. And I remember being late, running late, feeling like I'm rushing, and then I see Dez. I'm like, okay, I'm good. You know, he's a big guy, you know, big star.
Speaker 7: I'm good. I'm good.
Speaker 8: I'm walking down with him or whatever. And then later on I'm telling Hi Nick the story. I'm like running late or whatever, and he's like, that's not really a good thing. If you weren't with Dez, that's not really That means you weren't Like yeah, but I mean no, we're waiting on him.
Speaker 2: So it happens, Yeah, it happens. They're not leaving Das.
Speaker 6: Let's all right, we're gonna take our first break a little early.
Speaker 2: When we come back, we're gonna talk about draft grades.
Speaker 6: I know last week a lot of people were doing draft grades, but I'm a big believer in you don't do draft grades for the most recent draft.
Speaker 2: You do draft grades for.
Speaker 6: Previous years when you've actually seen some of these players play.
Speaker 2: So that's what we're gonna do.
Speaker 6: We're gonna draft grades over the last five years of drafts and tell you what we think about where the Cowboys are relative to how they've picked players.
Speaker 2: We'll be back Dallas Cowboys dot Comrade.
Speaker 13: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, It's not complicated.
Speaker 9: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 11: Hey, honey, can we talk, of course?
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 5: I just thought you should know. I've been curious about the new Doctor Pepper strawberries and Cream.
Speaker 2: Have you fought this way a long time?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: I just think I'd really like the taste of doctor Pepper swirled with layers of flavor.
Speaker 2: If you feel that way, I think you should try it. Babe.
Speaker 11: It's amazing.
Speaker 10: I mean, you're amazing too, dude.
Speaker 6: Doctor Pepper Strawberries and Cream the new flavor you deserve once he uses.
Speaker 14: The cowboys locker rooms favorite products. Check out the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black. Right now you can get the Jack Black Playmaker, a curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites, for just ten bucks with free shipping. The Playmaker includes four Jack Black skincare favorites plus a full sized intense therapy lip bom. Go to get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys and use the code word Cowboys the Jack Black Playmaker tim bucks free shipping.
Speaker 4: No one knows where this market will go. Right now, it feels like a wild ride. One thanks for certain there's a way through it, and the experience and guidance of a Merylan advisor can help you get there. Because where there's a bull, there's a way. Find an advisor in North Texas at mL dot com slash.
Speaker 11: Bullsh Meryl a Bank of America company. What would you like the power to do?
Speaker 3: Investing involves risk?
Speaker 15: Marylynch, Piercevender and Smith, Incorporated, Register Broker Dealer, Registered Investment Advisor Number SIPC A holy own subsidiaria of Bank of America Corp.
Speaker 2: Back to the break.
Speaker 12: Register now for twenty twenty three Dallas Cowboys youth Camps, presented by Invisiline. Athletes ages six to sixteen are invited to learn from the best this summer at and T Stadium or Ford Center at the Star in Frisco. Football camps are led by former NFL players. Dance camps taught by current Dallas Cowboys cheerleader say twenty five dollars when you sign up for camp by May twelve, visit Dallas Covery dot com slash Camps.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 6: We are in the second segment of the Break Life from the SWBC Mortgage Studios at the start the second presented to you by Blockchain dot com dot Com. There we go, all right, let us what we're gonna do is we're gonna do some draft grades. I want to talk through the last five years of drafts, going back to twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: We're going to go through each.
Speaker 6: Draft and talk a little bit about where the Cowboys did well and maybe with a Cowboy wish they could have had a pick back or two. And then we'll kind of look at the totality of those five years and figure out what we think maybe was the best draft of that five year span.
Speaker 2: Let's start first.
Speaker 6: In twenty eighteen, first round, they select Layton vander ash second round, Connor Williams third round, Michael Gallup fourth round, Dorance Armstrong fourth round. Again, they got Dalton Schultz and then Mike White in the fifth round, Chris Covington and sixth, Cedric Wilson in the sixth and then they finished the draft in the seventh round with both Scarborough outside of the first round pick, which obviously in all of these years, the first round pick is going to be the standout player, and they've done extremely well in the first round where do you think is the what do you think was the best pick of.
Speaker 10: This draft outside of Layton vander USh.
Speaker 3: Probably the probably the Dalton Schultz pick if you look at it. Why I feel like though to me, when you that was a fourth round selection right there, you got seventy five games out of him, two hundred and eleven receptions for seventeen touchdowns, that was one of those those those picks I mean you could talk about. I think there's still some questions about Michael Gallup. Dorn S Armstrong I think has kind of developed into a nice player, But Dalton Schultz at that time in the fourth round, when you grab a guy that's had that many receptions, and you know, I guess you could say you can look at Michael Gallup has had probably about the same number of receptions, But I think that the one with Dalton Schultz that had the fourth round, that's some really good value right there for a player that you're thinking about grabbing a tight end. Now, maybe he didn't develop as the best blocker or anything like that, but if you look at what he was able to do the last several years for you and what a good player he became for the quarterback I would say that's that's the one that I would focus on right there for that particular round, other than the Leyton van der Esh pick.
Speaker 11: It's really good draft.
Speaker 12: That's one of the better, I mean drafts from top to box them that they've had, and some of them are they're drafted for other teams. You know, both Scarborough, you know, had a really good game against them one time. Mike White started for the Jets. So you know, by the way.
Speaker 6: There are only two guys in this draft that are out of the league at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Scarborough. All the rest of them are still in the league.
Speaker 12: It's a really good draft. I think Armstrong is a really good value picked there. And you know, Leyton wasn't all pro his first year. Injuries have kind of hurt him, of course, but you know, not everybody's still with them. Some Dolphins have two of these guys, I believe. But yeah, it's it's a good draft. I mean good draft. Shelton and Armstrong in the fourth round. I mean, that's that's where they've really had some success lately, is getting some good players in the fourth round.
Speaker 11: And those two picks were great.
Speaker 3: If Michael Gallup had not gotten hurt I think then, you know, and you'd had him playing you know, uh, you know, maybe you know, going through I think last year we were kind of on the on the edge right now with Michael Gallup, you know, and where he's at. But you know, if if he'd had not had to go through that injury and stuff like that and had a good last year, you probably said, well, Okay, Michael Gallup's the one. But like I said, I go back to Dalton Schultz and what they at that particular spot in the draft, you know, pick one hundred and thirty seven. You know, you got some really really good value out of that for him. You got a franchise tag at him. Yeah, he didn't re sign with you and all that, but the quarterback relied on him and the offense relied on him quite a bit.
Speaker 8: Well, hopefully Michael does come back better this year, because honestly, my memory on him is becoming quite faint, like he's fading away, remembering him making those good plays for you, and you know he has the talent, he's a dynamic player. But even looking at the sixth round Cedric Wilson, you.
Speaker 7: Get a guy that was.
Speaker 8: A guy that was able to do what he did for you during that year where Dak Prescott really started relying on him and using him. And that's a guy from the sixth round. So that was really really good. A guy that got a pretty nice contract somewhere else would have loved for the Cowboys to keep him. But yeah, all in all, looking up and down, like Nick said, it's pretty good. But yeah, good call him Dalton Schultz. For a guy that I definitely thought would not be here a long time ago, he made it work.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 6: Let's move on to the twenty nineteen draft. They had in the first and they didn't have a first round pick that year. In the second round, they drafted Tristan Hill, third round, Connor McGovern, fourth round, Tony Pollard. They selected the two Jackson's in the fifth round, Michael Jackson and Joe Jackson. In the sixth round they got Donovan Wilson, and in the seventh round they had Mike Webber and Jalen Jokes. That draft, which one do you think was the best pick? Because you got It's interesting you can look at it two different ways. You got Pollard, you got Wilson. Both are still with the team, both are playing really well. You got Pollard in the fourth round. You got Donovan Wilson in the sixth round. Yeah, which was the better pick for the Cowboys.
Speaker 8: Wilson all in all, I mean, he he's a guy that came in here and to me, especially on that position that you really needed a position that we talked about for the longest time.
Speaker 7: Safety. You need a safety.
Speaker 8: And then he comes in here and start making an impact quite fast. Honestly, the type of player that has no fear whatsoever. He just goes in their tackles and just doesn't even think. He just goes out and plays the game like you want him to play on defense. And looking at where he's at now with the Cowboys, looking everything he was given to you because you look at Tony Poller and you still had Zeke.
Speaker 7: You still had.
Speaker 8: Zeke taking care of most of the carries and at the running back position. So all they know Wilson at the sixth round. That was a very nice steal there.
Speaker 12: What I love about the Pollard pick is that it sounds like when they did their pre draft mock drafts with all the scouts go around the room. They I don't know how many times they do that, you know, ten twelve times maybe pollared every time it was pollared. Every time they got poll they targeted four the round and for third, fourth, sometimes fifth. But when he was there to pick, they always took him. They just loved him and they had a good role in vision for him, and it's turned out and think they thought he was going to be their franchise tag player in four years. But you know, I think that that's a great pick. I mean Donovan Wilson too. I think dan Quinn come and really helped him, kind of had a good vision for him. But Pollard, to me, that's that's a good you know, that was a great pick. Obviously Tristan Hill wasn't. But you know they got to Marii Cooper in the first round. You know they used that pick, and you know he made the Pro Bowl that year, so that was I'm.
Speaker 8: Still kind of confused as to what happened with him, Tristan Hill.
Speaker 2: But you know that's also the thing.
Speaker 6: I mean, Brian can tell you as well as anybody this drafting is not an exact science.
Speaker 2: Like there are times.
Speaker 6: When you're gonna think, you really know you're going to get a good player and you don't. There are other times when you're taking a flyer and you end up with a great player. Like, it's just not exact. You can't tell how a person is going to adapt to the end of there's so many unknown variables.
Speaker 2: It's just impossible.
Speaker 3: They knew the player. They knew the player. Rod Marinelli knew the player, and he went down there and he tried to learn everything he could about him. I think he did. It was I think it was up to the kid though, to you know, how much did he really really want to play. There were questions about him at Central Florida, you know, the coaching staff. They had to change in the coaching staff and all that, and there were people down there that were saying, listen, this kid really doesn't love football, and Rod, you know, and others felt like, well, we can, we can get it out of him. We can, We could put him in there. And there was times where Tristan Hill would show flashes of being successful and then something would happen to him. Yeah, and so he never got to the point where like a Tony Pollard, you know, you could say what you want about Tony Pollard's a great pick. The problem is they just last year figured out what to do with Tony Pollard. So Tony Pollard's numbers should be even greater for what he's able to do. And so, you know, and you mentioned the Donovan Wilson pick. I, you know, he's played eleven less games then Tony Pollard. But the sack totals, the tackles, the physicality plays with great value there for them in the sixth round.
Speaker 6: All right, let's move on to the twenty twenty draft. Cowboys selecting the first round Cedee Lamb, second round, Trayvon Diggs, third round, Neville Gallimore fourth round, Reggie Robinson the only player that is no longer in professional football from this draft.
Speaker 2: In the fourth round.
Speaker 6: Later in the fourth round they got Tyler Biattish. Fifth round they got Bradley and I and in the seventh round quarterback Ben Denucci, who is now playing in the XFLFLU And actually I just read the other day he's got a tryout with an NFL Denver Broncos.
Speaker 2: Yeahs been good, so so yeah, he's good in the XFL.
Speaker 6: Again, he's still playing professional football, still taking a crack at it. This draft looks like one where they've had some some success, which so which was outside of the first round, pick. Who's the best pick in this draft? I think we know?
Speaker 12: Right?
Speaker 11: Well, yeah, I mean do we want to say without not let's.
Speaker 2: Take at the first end the second round?
Speaker 12: You know, but the first round pick is a great because they they said they were true to their board. I mean, they they didn't think that CD was gonna fall to them. Got to also remember this draft was done, you know, twenty twenty with COVID. We're just figuring out what's going on. It was done on a boat, right. I mean, it's like they did a great job of saying, all right, we don't know if we need a receiver. We have Amari Cooper and Gallop, but this guy's just what they say, the flashing light there it is. And and they you know, the Digs in Galimore, you know those were high. Those were first round grades they had on both those guys. So they got three first round grades. I believe that's right. It may maybe it wasn't the first round grade on Galimore, but they they had him grated higher than Diggs, but they took Digs because of the position.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you this. I'll change the question for you, guys.
Speaker 3: I was going to mention another player okay, well, yeah, go with that player. Then is Beatis has become an ascending center for you, and you got him at pick one forty six in the fourth round. And so the digs pick is as good as it was. It was the one that was the biggest noe because if they got wiped out at seventeen, the thought was that they would take digs in the first round. But the fact that they trusted their board, they took CD and then the draft came back around to him. And it's rare that that happens, very rare that it happens. They just happened to sitting in the middle of the board and Digs got to him at fifty one. But you just got a starting center that is ascending at one forty six. You know that's Those are the ones that will you should pat everybody on the back in the room because the lamb and the digs are no brainers. Those are no brainer picks. The the oddist one was the one, well, Wisconsin Center, could we you know what, you know, he's not really highly rated. You know, they hit one on that guy.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that one turned out pretty nicely, even though at the time it didn't seem so to me personally, because I felt like, oh, they're doing just fine with Joe Looney and what he's been doing there after Travis Frederick being out. But you look at now that time has gone by and you look at it, okay, where it's ad from where it was and the development, and he hasn't been absolutely perfect, but I think he's giving you a solid game, and he's given you what you need at the center position taking into account all the other issues you've constantly been having in the rest of the all line. So I think they they got really lucky to get a guy like him at that in the fourth round.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna flip the question on you. Guys.
Speaker 6: We have been taking the first round pick out of it. But if you had to compare Digs to Parsons, I'm sorry, Dig that Parsons.
Speaker 10: Digs to Lamb, which was a better pick for the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Lamb Diggs, Why tell me why.
Speaker 3: I think the thing with Lamb is that to me, you know, you you look at the development. I still think there's some questions about Digs. I think there's some still some questions about h him being a complete player, and I think that you know, the interceptions and all that. The ball skills, no question about that. You know, is there is the when I talk about complete player, the willingness to tackle, the willingness to be in there, the willingness to mix it up and stuff like that. Lamb to me is one of I think Lamb's a complete player. I think Lamb will do whatever he has to do to have success. You know, he's not going to turn away from things. He's going to go out there. If they ask him to go make a big play, He's going to find a way to make the big play. He'll block out on the edge. He will do whatever you have to do. So if you just talk about the complete player aspect of the two players, Lamb over Digs, for me, I go.
Speaker 12: With Diggs as the better pick just because of the value, just because of the second round and the first round and how Lamb kind of fell to them. They've both been great in their own way. You know, I think Digs they're both going to get contracts coming up, maybe one of them probably here in a few months, I would think, and I don't know about Lamb, but I think Digs will be the highest paid cornerback in the league. And so you know, that they've both been been really really good. You know, all prosy, they've both been All pros. So you get too all pros and then a pro bowler in the fourth round. I mean that that is your I mean you'll never be the nineteen sixty four draft with three Hall of Famers, but you know that's that has a chance to be one of the top drafts of all time if these players continue to go in the direction they're going.
Speaker 3: League missed on both those players. Yeah, yeah, League missed on both. You You were you You took advantage of the league on two players. That that we're talking about is who's better, and they're both really you could throw a blanket over both. But like I said, you know, the league just showed you right there. Dallas did a great job of being in position to make this thing happen real quick.
Speaker 6: I need to make a correction. I said Reggie Robinson was not playing football.
Speaker 2: He actually is.
Speaker 6: Chris Beam, our producer, just told me in my ear that he actually is on the Washington Defenders in the XFL will be playing in their championship. They against are still playing in professional football, not obviously in the NFL, but still playing in professional good football.
Speaker 2: Good for him.
Speaker 12: You know, let me just say something about Reggie Robinson and that draft. Those guys right there, they got I don't know if you say they got screwed, but they did.
Speaker 11: They did.
Speaker 12: He is a player, He's a fourth round pick from Tulsa. He's a special teams guy. He needs preseason games. He needed to go out there and show what he could do, block a punt, be a gunner, play some snaps on the fourth quarter.
Speaker 11: He didn't.
Speaker 12: Bradley and I Ben Denucci, those guys needed to do that. They needed to play, just like all these young players. And so it's very unfortunate for those players in twenty twenty, those undrafted guys. Give Terrence Steel a ton of credit because he didn't have that and he figured out a way to do it in camp. But some of those players I thought were you know, it's just unfortunate that they didn't get this.
Speaker 3: Well. To your point, Reggie was a Will McClay pick. That was Will was championing that pick, and the problem is they couldn't find a spot for him. Yeah, they tried to play a corner safety corner. They're doing the same thing with Josh Ball right now. They're trying to find a spot for a guy that they that they picked in the fourth round.
Speaker 6: It's one of the reasons I love what's happening with the XFL and the USFL now because for guys like them, maybe they do get that second shot to go play football and then they can work their way back up into maybe getting an opportunity NFL.
Speaker 11: Anybody think that maybe I wish they could figure out way could they.
Speaker 6: Merge who USFL and XFL. Yeah, you gotta talk to the owners of those, that's their choice.
Speaker 11: I mean, yeah, I'm already I already got to talk to Goodell.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, you got a lot on your plate here.
Speaker 11: Well, I'm just I just man, it's like which league is which? I mean, just just get it all together.
Speaker 6: I don't like XFL USFL. I get a little confused, but I will tell this, I actually have enjoyed some games here in the offseason. I like some of the rules around XFL, Like it's a It's an entertaining product to watch because of how they have it in the both the extra points and the scores. You can you can play around with that thing and make it really interesting.
Speaker 11: In the last No, do you watch hockey. Nope. Do you watch NBA basketball playoffs? Some?
Speaker 2: Well, my son's into it, so I have.
Speaker 11: That's good.
Speaker 12: But I'm just saying, you know, for those it is, you know, people that love football is something else.
Speaker 11: You know a lot of people like it.
Speaker 6: It's my thing right now because I'm not really that into a lot of the other things.
Speaker 2: All right, let's take our final break. When we come back. We got two more drafts we want to talk about.
Speaker 6: When to talk about two thousand and one, and wan't to talk about twenty twenty two, which happened those players just played last year. We'll talk about that when we come Backdallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 13: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheat of Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and T five G. Fast, reliable, secure, it's not complicated.
Speaker 9: Five G requires compatible planning device. Five G may not be available in your area. Se Att dot com slash five G for you for details.
Speaker 14: Once he used the Cowboys locker rooms favorite products, check out the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black. Right now, you can get the Jack Black Playmaker, a curated collection of Cowboys locker room favorites, for just ten bucks with free shipping.
Speaker 3: The Playmaker includes four Jack.
Speaker 14: Black skincare favorites plus a full sized intense therapy lip bomb. Go to get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys and use the code word Cowboys the Jack Black Playmaker tim bucks free shipping.
Speaker 4: No one knows where this market will go right now, it feels like a wild ride. One thanks for certain there's a way through it, and the experience and guidance of a Maryland advisor can help you get there. Because where there's a bull, there's a way. Find an advisor in North Texas at mL dot com slash books.
Speaker 11: Meryl a Bank of America company.
Speaker 12: What would you have the power to do?
Speaker 3: Investing involves risk?
Speaker 15: Marylynch, Pierce, Fender and Smith, Incorporated, Registered broker Dealer, Registered Investment Advisor MEMBERSIPC, a Holy Own subsidiary of Bank of America Court.
Speaker 5: Hey, honey, can we talk, of course?
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 5: I just thought you should know I've been curious about the Doctor Pepper strawberries and cream.
Speaker 2: Have you brought this way a long time?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: I just think I'd really like the taste of doctor Pepper swirled with layers of flavor.
Speaker 2: If you feel that way, I think you should try it.
Speaker 3: Babe.
Speaker 11: It's amazing.
Speaker 5: I mean, you're amazing.
Speaker 2: Too, dude.
Speaker 6: Doctor Pepper strawberries and Cream the new flavor you deserve.
Speaker 2: Back to the break.
Speaker 12: This Mother's Day, give mom a gift like no other with Dallas Cowboys gearshop brands like The Wild, Collective, Touch where by Aaron Andrews, and more at the nearest pro shop or online at Shop dot Dallas Cowboys dot Com, a fanatics experience.
Speaker 6: Welcome back. Final segment of the break. We're talking about the draft. We're giving draft grades. We will do that at some point here in this conversation. I'm gonna make you, guys, give me a grade for each of these drafts. Let's talk about the twenty twenty one draft. That's where the Cowboys landed, maybe by some people's estimations, a bit of a blessing. It wasn't necessarily all they're doing, but they land Michael Parsons in the first round. Second round they get Kelvin Joseph, Third round they get OsO, Diggy zoo A, Chauncey Golston, and Nayshn Wright. And then in fourth round they got Jabril Cox and Josh Ball, fifth round Semi Fajoko, sixth round Quentin Bohanna and Israel Mukuamu.
Speaker 11: And then in the.
Speaker 6: Seventh round Matt farniok best pick of the draft outside of Mark Michael Parsons. And this one's a little harder because there's some interesting names here.
Speaker 3: It's got to be Osa, is what I think. But I would say this, I think because Osa, I think is on his way up. The fact we'll see with him and Mazy playing next to each other, I think that will be a good combination that'll help Osa have that opportunity. He just keeps getting better with this coach and staff. And the next one to me would be Chauncey, because I think Chuncey's got an opportunity as well. Those are two of those three techniques. Those guys that play on that outside shoulder, they get up the field the way that they do, and so yeah, I kind of feel like that those would be the ones that I would surely keep an eye on.
Speaker 12: This has a chance to be the nineteen ninety draft where they took Smith, Alexander Wright, Stance mcgala, Jimmy Jones, Kenny Ganton, Dave Harper. And it was a really good draft, was that Nim Smith? Yeah, because of Emmitt Smith?
Speaker 11: Like that. It was a really good draft.
Speaker 6: Because you got m Are you saying yeah, are you? Are you saying that Mike is just so great? Doesn't matter with everybody else, does it.
Speaker 12: It's going to be a good draft because they got lucky and they got Micah Parsons. And I don't know if these other guys as great as that first round pick was, the second round.
Speaker 11: Pick was not a good pick. It's not.
Speaker 12: And Kelvin Joseph he has timed, I guess to turn it around, I think, but so far it hasn't been second round pick at cornerback barely playing special playing special teams.
Speaker 11: They can't.
Speaker 12: They got to get guys off the street to play corner because guys are heard and not the second and third round pick. Let's don't forgetting a Sean Wright in there too. So yeah, you know they've had Jabrill Cox. I mean they had some guys.
Speaker 7: It was Christy.
Speaker 8: This is like the longest list, like this is where you had the most picks and you look at all those names and I'm like, eh, nah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well it's not yet has a chance with Sorry, let's be clear.
Speaker 3: Well Kuamu has been better than Nashan Wright, which and that was a six round pick and he's been better. We're still waiting on Jabril Cox. That's one of those things. And talking to some guys in the organization about that, it was always you know, one step forward, two steps back with him, you know, with getting him on the field and things. So and Simmi Fork, I see he's doing a great job of catching fish. I saw twin.
Speaker 2: Really you gave a shout out.
Speaker 3: Nice looking fish he had there. So I might have to get him on the boat here soon.
Speaker 11: He's not he's going to be the best for Hoko on the team.
Speaker 3: Well that's the thing about But see that's the thing too in Bohanna. We've waiting, We've been waiting everybody Nick. For years, Nick has asked for two things in this organization. Give me a vertical route runner and give me a big, sloppy guy in the middle. And got and and and that's you know, that's the thing with Bohanna. That's twenty seven games that we're all kind of like, is he active this week? Is he inactive? What are we doing over there? You know? So there's there's a lot more questions about this draft.
Speaker 2: Josh Ball.
Speaker 3: To me, there's a fourth round offensive lineman I think, awesome Richards who they took right now and this draft is a better player than Josh Ball. Just watching them play, I know he's a better player. So there's they've gambled on some of these guys in this draft, and and and you know, and it has it and has it paid all for him like they thought it would.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think the fact that they had to go out and make a move for a Gilmore, the fact that they drafted Mazi to me, is as much an indictment on what they've seen from the cornerbacks in this draft, what they've seen from Quinton Bohanna. They're like, we're not getting what we need, so we're gonna have to go either back to the draft to get it, or we're gonna have to go out and free Agen.
Speaker 3: They traded for Hankins.
Speaker 2: They traded for Hankins as well. Right, hanks is a huge.
Speaker 3: Because Quin Bohannah and I know it's a sixth round pick, but I'm gonna also be real honest and fair here. The nay Shaan Wright pick was Dan Quinn went to Corvallis, Oregon and worked that one out. You know. He also went to Lexington, Kentucky to see Kelvin Joseph. He also saw Quentin Bohanna that day, you know. So you know, there's there's some times where you go yeah, yeah, yay, and then the times like whoa, what were you thinking there?
Speaker 6: Bro?
Speaker 12: I don't know how far we're gonna go on this, but I mean, I think twenty twenty two the guys have been more productive than twenty twenty one, and then they've only.
Speaker 11: Hit that in one year time.
Speaker 6: Let's let's run down those names real quick. Twenty twenty two. You got in the first round Tyler Smith, who's been really good.
Speaker 3: They proved a on him, yes.
Speaker 6: Second round, Sam Williams, third round, Jalen Tolbert, fourth round, Jake Ferguson.
Speaker 2: Fifth round.
Speaker 6: They had a number of picks there, Matt Will, let's go, Deron Bland, damoone Clark, John Ridgeway, who's no longer with the team but playing a prominent role in Washington. And then the sixth round Devin Harper, tell me the best pick of that draft, because other than Tyler Smith, there's a lot of names you could put up there and say I think this guy is the best or will be the best of this draft.
Speaker 3: Got to be Bland.
Speaker 11: That was a great pick.
Speaker 3: Yeah. See, they proved us wrong in a couple of areas too, and and me personally, I was wrong about Tyler Smith. I was too high on Jalen Tolbert. Well, let's go. I think is one that's got some promise to it. I like what they with awesome Richards, Matt Will, let's go, got maybe a couple of young tackles. They're Bland, Bland. He we went to school at Fresno State. He should have been playing at Washington or U C.
Speaker 11: L A or USC.
Speaker 3: They they stole him and Harper. I think the thing with Devin Harper is the linebacker they got in the sixth that cat can run, and I think that, you know, he's one of those guys that when you maybe this maybe this is the training camp for him, when you start to see, oh wait, they've got some maybe some depth problems that linebacker. No they don't. A guy like Devin Harper steps up and helps him make some plays.
Speaker 12: And and also you know, if if they were really really like worried about tight end, they would have signed Dalton Schultz when espersonally when no one was signing him, or they would have said I could take any tight end in the first round if they if they really wanted to, uh, maybe not Kinkaid, but they they would have taken other guy's and they could have addressed that. So Jake Ferguson to me, is good enough. Him and Hindershot combined, they're good enough to say, you know what we we like where we're headed here. Yeah, we could get better. They went second round, but but Ferguson's a good enough pick.
Speaker 11: Too for them liking what they And when you.
Speaker 6: Think about it from this standpoint, the number of guys in this draft that last year's rookies flashed, Which that's what you're really trying for me, That's what I'm trying to see in that first year, Sam Williams, Jake Ferguson, Matt Well, let's go.
Speaker 2: Even though it was a for short period in camp, he had some moments where.
Speaker 3: You like, he was better than the ball and he was hurt the whole Timely, Yeah.
Speaker 11: Deron Blaine might bessing. Damone Clark, that might be the best pick of them. Clark he was off boards.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and they said, no, we have a chance he's gonna play and contribute this year.
Speaker 11: We were wrong about him to Now.
Speaker 6: We'll see how they develop at this point. But they're all flashing at this point, which is what you want to see in that.
Speaker 3: First Okay, let me ask the panel question here real quick before we get out of here. Sam Williams have more sacks this year than DeMarcus Lawrence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, I think so.
Speaker 6: I think this is gonna be a year for him where he's gonna come into his own.
Speaker 12: He led the team in tackles for losses. That's amazing considering how limited he plays.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 8: I think the teams will give more attention to a guy like DeMarcus Lawrence. Therefore he's gonna be busy dealing with that meanwhile, giving a guy like Sam Williams a little more freedom opportunities for him to take advantage of.
Speaker 6: I actually wonder if this year we'll start to see them pop tank down to defensive tackle down there and obvious passing downs and put Sam Williams on the outside. I think that may be your best kind of lineup with at the other tackle, and then put your and then put Michael on the other end. I think that you give me those four, I think you make some you can do some damage, some real damage. All right, All that being said, we're gonna go back through these drafts and want you to give me a grade for the last five years worth of draft.
Speaker 2: Let's start with twenty eighteen. Where would you grade it?
Speaker 8: We should have done this right after discussing everyone right.
Speaker 6: Right down, ask Williams, Gallup, Armstrong, Schultz, Mike White, Covington, Wilson, and B.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I would say B plus but but but but a good really good solid top to bottom. Got good players.
Speaker 7: There, yes, B as well?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 6: Twenty nineteen Tristan Hill, Connor McGovern, Tony Pollard, Michael Jackson, Joe Jackson, Donovan Wilson, Mike Weber, Jalen Jelks.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I'm gonna C plus because because you didn't have a first round pick, and your first round pick made it to the Pro Bowl, so that that's pretty good. But still some of these other yeah, C.
Speaker 8: Plus okay, sure, same and the plus mainly because of Wilson.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, uh twenty twenty Lamb, Diggs, Gallimore, Robinson, Beattish, an I and Danucci A plus?
Speaker 11: What A plus?
Speaker 2: A plus?
Speaker 12: Can't get better than that? I mean, how could he get better than that? Sorry, I'm sorry if you can disagree, I.
Speaker 11: Mean I don't want to.
Speaker 3: I was gonna go I was just gonna go straight A.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, Amber, I.
Speaker 11: Don't know anything about straight A.
Speaker 7: Like, let's go with an A, all right?
Speaker 2: So yeah, A A and A plus. All right, let's go to twenty twenty one.
Speaker 6: You got Michael Parsons, Calvin, Joseph, Diggie, Zua, Golston, Right Cox, Ball, Fejoko Bohanna, mccuamu and FARNIOC.
Speaker 3: Plus C plus, Like, I know, you got one of the best players in football, but it's a C plus. It is a C plus because of the of the quantity they have. If if they had two or three more guys step up, and they're gonna and maybe it's maybe it's Osin, maybe it's Goldston, and that would take the C plus to me to a solid B, maybe even I think solid B if those guys stepped up.
Speaker 2: But I'm gonna go, what about what about mcuamo if he also steps up?
Speaker 8: Two years out of that? You know, like you keep thinking, we're only to me. It feels very fresh, and you think, oh, let's wait for one player right now.
Speaker 7: Two years.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and they got one, for sure, they got one.
Speaker 2: Let's not also the player.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, this is a player.
Speaker 3: But they got to put They've got a lot of potential fs on here too.
Speaker 12: And the thing about it is is they backed into Micah. Let's just be honest about it.
Speaker 3: That counts to It counts Sometimes the draft gods smile and get it make you some luck.
Speaker 12: But not only did they back into it, but they were like, let's see if we can get a third round pick out of this. I don't think the Eagles or the Giants are going to take this guy at eleven. Let's trade or at nine, let's trade back to ten.
Speaker 3: Especially when you're holding on them corners. These corners go right in front of let's.
Speaker 11: Just let's just move back.
Speaker 12: And I mean, if somebody would have screwed him over been like, yeah, we told him we were taking Devonte Smith, but we're really taking Micah, they would have slept.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, and that's right until now.
Speaker 3: So now, but let the quarterback on this scene.
Speaker 6: They back, They tried to select quarterback in that draft almost and then they finally got to the fourth round and we're like, well, yeah, they took them. So I mean sometimes it just happens like that.
Speaker 2: You happen to look up.
Speaker 12: You got to you got a guy that's competing for Defensive Player of the Year.
Speaker 11: But those other guys. You hit a lot of other guys and none of them have really hit yet.
Speaker 3: Charles Tapper before Dak Prescott.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the rest of the league, by the way, the lesson.
Speaker 3: The rest of the league passed for Charles Tapper is a nice man.
Speaker 11: Somewhere.
Speaker 7: Is he still playing?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: He's probably doing doing someone with business.
Speaker 2: Probably a really good guy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, last draft, last draft, Tyler Smith, Sam Williams, Jalen Tolbert, Jake Ferguson, Let's go to Ron Blando, Mon Clark, John Ridgeway, and Devin Harper.
Speaker 7: Minus for me, Yes.
Speaker 3: B B has a chance to be a plus. With Jayleen Tolbert.
Speaker 12: And Sam Williams, I think can maybe take it to the next one.
Speaker 3: Let's go, well, let's go with Clark. Clark would be the one that could take it to an.
Speaker 6: Exactly if he starts to be a real player. Now you just you just killed it.
Speaker 7: That's the thing.
Speaker 8: I still see a lot of potential with a lot of these guys, and some.
Speaker 2: Of them which you should in the second show.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, and Bland and we talked about Williams, even Ferguson Tolbert, we haven't seen that from him. But these guys are guys that were thrown out there and you needed them to step up and give you something as rookies, which you know that there's a learning curve to be to happen there.
Speaker 7: So I think that they did pretty well, pretty well first.
Speaker 8: Year, and they can definitely take us their next step this second year. So so far from me, A minus.
Speaker 2: All right, that's our draft grades. We appreciate you, guys.
Speaker 3: John.
Speaker 2: We'll be back next week.
Speaker 6: Next week we actually get started with rookie Minnichamp toward the end of next week, so we'll have more of that. Make sure you check us out tomorrow. We'll have some fun content for you guys for schedule release. Till then for Nick Kea, mcbron brought us Ambergarcia. I'm Derek Eagleton. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.