Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Recent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Welcome home.
Speaker 1: Y'all, I got ninety nine problems in this show.
Speaker 4: Ain't one.
Speaker 1: That's because it is our ninety ninth episode, and I expect a little more reaction from my co host when I drop a clever punk.
Speaker 3: Okay, I had a muzzle on any.
Speaker 5: We've played a clip where Andrew was that guy? Why didn't we bring that?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 1: Anyway, it's our ninety ninth episode.
Speaker 4: Ninety nine problems and Hamilton, Amen to that, Amen to that.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: So I'm really excited to get into the show today. Before we get to our rundown, I do want to let you know if you're going to be in New York this weekend, come holler at Native Lamp Pod. We'll be on the main stage at Culture con Is Brooklyn in the house. Yes, is Native Land in the House? Yes, we hope you'll be in the house if you're there. If you're not there, though, you can catch the show. We will post it on our YouTube page and you can catch it where you get your podcast at iHeart. On Monday, so do please tune into that. But it's a lot going on right now. So what are we talking about today?
Speaker 5: Angela? What you got?
Speaker 7: I got a lot of stuff, But I think what we are going to lean into a little bit is why Megan Kelly is on Serena's head. That's one question I have. That's one question I have. I'm gonna let y'all get into the other ones because I don't know which ones y'all.
Speaker 5: Want to start. Well, you'll come back.
Speaker 1: Megan Kellys there she got after our girl Jamel, and Jamel dragged her clear and cross America the last time, so she hasn't learned her lesson yet to keep black women's name out.
Speaker 5: Andrew, what you got?
Speaker 7: What's easy to do when you're tweeting in the basement in your drawers, fair point, and you.
Speaker 3: Not catch outside topic?
Speaker 5: We r Andrew.
Speaker 4: I want to talk about the new threat facing not just democracy, but the new threat that could be coming.
Speaker 3: Really straight up our block.
Speaker 4: What Trump and his new executive memo suggest about where this democracy is going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and you mentioned that earlier on the call, Andrew, and I'm really looking forward to your breakdown on that because I have some questions for you and definitely some thoughts. And when we're talking about where democracy is going, I think right now we are at a complete standstill literally and figuratively. And that is, of course because the government shut down this week, and that is going to have a devastating impact for a lot of people. So I definitely want to talk about that, and I do, if there's time, want to get into this bad Bunny super Bowl performance which has taken the group chats, the newscasts, and the internets by storm. So I'm curious your thoughts. I don't know if we all agree about what this means, but I definitely want to get into that discussion.
Speaker 2: With you guys.
Speaker 3: So and of course questions.
Speaker 1: And yes, thank you Andrew, we will get into your viewer questions and thank you guys so much for sending those in. And remember, if at any point in the show you hear something that you like that resonates with you, drop it in your group chat, send us in a question the comment if you agree, disagree, but spread the news about Native Land Pod because this is our table as well as it's yours. So welcome home, y'all. Let's get into the show. Okay, before we get into the government shutdown. Can I just say really quickly, I want to pass the mic to Angela on this one actually, but I just want to say before I pass the mic about our show that we did live from the Congressional Black Caucus Foundations Annual Legislative Conference, I have to say thank you all so much for tuning in. I know there were some audio problems, and so we have reposted the show without those audio problems, so please definitely check that out. But a lot of you all just suffer through and listen to the show with the audio problems, so we did repost it for you. If you haven't checked that out, definitely please do. Great guests, we sat down with Governor Wes Moore and his wife. But this is what and I didn't say this on a call this morning intentionally because I wanted to say it on the show. You know, I our friendship stretches decades at this point. You know, I've known you guys for a while, and I feel like you can take friendship for granted when you know people for a while, Like I can call angel it too in the morning if I want to, you know, Andrew, I can be like I'm coming to Tallahas he let's kick it. And when Angela you gave your acceptance speech, I was so moved. And your father was seated next to me. And I don't know if the viewers will get to hear this, Please please please watch it on the CBCF Annual Legislative Conference show. But when you closed out the speech, your father was saying the words with you, because of course you you know, close it out, the black power anthem. And he didn't even say it like like he wanted to erupt an applause, like he said it like casually and was just looking at Angela. I was like bursting inside, like I was. We were all trying not to choke up. It was the end of the show. I wanted to stand up and applaud, but Papa Rye was just sitting there like, yeah, like what else she supposed? That's why I raised, Yeah, that's what it is, right. It was such a beautiful moment. I sent that speech to everybody. I've been telling everybody to watch it. I was on Doctor Carr Show this week on Serious XM. I talked about it on that show, so I just wanted to say, like it was one of those moments where I was like, I take for granted that I get to be friends with people I'm fans of. I get to be friends with people who I admire, and I'm not gonna lie. I was a little mad when she was reading that speech. It's like I feel when I asked Michael Harry, like he's like up writing all day and then he comes and sends me what he wrote, and I'm like, you wrote that today, just in one tribe, that's what you did. Well, she was, I'm like, please tell me it took you six months to write that, because it was it would take me six months to write that. So I just am thrilled, and I had to say that. I didn't want to say it on the call. I wanted to say it to you in front of our audience. So super dope, super dope.
Speaker 3: Soon soon, I think I said to you that night like twice or three times, like I was really pierced. Yeah, I felt that. I felt that.
Speaker 4: And when you're used to and you are used to giving and certainly being on the receiving end of speeches, you can become numbs sometimes to the words that come out of people's mouths. But for you, Angela It's different because we know you. You don't traffic it insignificance.
Speaker 3: If you stay in a bar. It's a thing, and it had resonance. It really did that night.
Speaker 8: You and.
Speaker 4: A few others have particularly impact, but your standouts to me, and there's no more deserving person of that distinguished honor from Saturday.
Speaker 3: My only regret is that that whole room didn't get to hear what we got to hear. But they can hear it now if they go to Natives.
Speaker 5: They subscribe just if I can for a moment.
Speaker 7: And I know we're probably gonna get into the government shutdown, given the fact that now the government is in fact shut down, but I just wanted to shout this out to you guys. I ended up having an all star studied cast yesterday for our first on Tuesday for the.
Speaker 5: Solo Pod.
Speaker 7: Congressman Maxine Waters, where I worked for my first political job was with her, was on talking about the shutdown. Jasmine Crockett joined us as well to talk about the shutdown, but also talking about the fear she experiences right now and in real vulnerability in ways that really just touched me because I feel like our sister always has to show up in strength. So I'm so grateful that we were able to cultivate a safe space for her to really share how she feels in this moment. But also there was another woman who we love dearly on this show who joined us on the live show Saturday but had to leave. Otherwise we certainly would have given her the opportunity to also share the remarks she prepared. And that's jo Taka Edie, who received the alc CO Chairs Phoenix Award.
Speaker 5: She shared a beautiful speech.
Speaker 7: I know that it will drop on socials Wednesday if you are listening to this later, it will drop Wednesday. But I want to show her out too, because her speech is remarkable. So I want to thank y'all because none of the work that I'm doing would be possible without your grace, without understanding, without leaning in with us.
Speaker 5: And so y'all are my Phoenix Award winners every day. So thank you so much. But let me tell you who is not the Phoenix Awards winner.
Speaker 7: Y'all's president, because why the government shut down and why they trying to blame it on Democrats, on hood websites everywhere else, tip get into it.
Speaker 1: What we do. Let's get going on Well, you brought up that you got to talk to Congressman Jazmin Crockett this week on your solo pods, so I definitely, if you don't mind, I want to hear a piece of what she said. If people want to hear that whole conversation, of course, they can check it out on our YouTube page. I have not listened to the whole thing yet, so I would love to hear what Congresswoman Crockett had to say. But I just want to set the frame a little bit and forgive me if this is redundant, because I'm sure you guys got into it a bit this week. But I wanted to make the point that this is not a normal shutdown, and I want to draw the distinction of what would have happened had Democrats access the Congressional resolution. It would have essentially given a green light to Donald Trump to continue his cuts to PBS. It would cut to cuts to foreign aid programs. It would be a green light to his big beautiful Bill that they call it, which essentially gives the richest Americans tax cuts, which would don't for a minute doubt it. It would be financed by cuts to Medicaid Medicare. I have members of my family on both food stamps. I have members in my immediate family on food stamps, clean energy resolutions. This bill would also make it harder for Americans to afford healthcare. And so the Democrats were calling, and you guys know, I am not a spokesperson for the Democratic Party. I happen to be a voter who votes Democrat. But this is not in any way and owe to the party. I'm just giving information. It's it's difficult to excuse a shut down ever, because I get the frustration and it's going to hit peop. But I think it was important that Democrats held the line here. They don't control the House or the Senate. And so when you hear the GOP talking points that this is the Schumer shut down or this is the Democrats shut down, impossible. When they first passed the bill, the Big Beautiful Bill first passed the Senate last July, it only required fifty one Republican votes. Now they need it more so, Democrats all of a sudden became really important to pass this legislation. Now what it means now that the government has shut down, In my opinion, it's essentially been shut down for almost nine months now, the government hasn't been functional. They've consolidated power to the executive branch, so we really haven't seen a functional government. But now the shit is hit the van. So the shutdown is expected to put at least forty percent of the federal workforce, about seven hundred and fifty thousand people on unpaid leave. But don't get it twisted, they would not be the only people impacted. The GOP claims to be the party that supports the Military Will Act of Duty. Military service members will not receive a paycheck during the government shutdown. The White House has also threatened mass layoffs. This is a reduction in workforce and federal toises after they've already laid off so many people given furlough notices in the case of a shutdown. Well, some people argue this is illegal, and this has been basically a threat from the Office of Management Budget Director Russ Vaught, who is a problem. His whole career was based on combating CRT critical race theory, so that should let you know what he is. Food assistance programs will also be impacted, snap the supplemental nutritional program. Again, I have members in my family who are on this with the program for Women, infants, and Children. Both of these programs are expected to rapidly run out of funds. Social Security, social Security, to VA and other benefits will continue, However, there will still be some delays in services such as processing applications, air traffic control, and TSA. They're considered essential, so they will continue to go to work, but they will not be paid. And I don't know if you guys remember when this happened in twenty eighteen twenty nineteen, Increasingly air traffic controllers began to call in sick, which had a ripple effects on travel across the country. FEMA will keep functioning, but funds are also running low. So when you consider what this means at the state level, I'll take Louisiana for example, huge black population there. They have a program, the National Flood Insurance Program. It was managed by FEMA. It's been temporarily extended by Congress more than thirty times since twenty seventeen. It was created to provide insurance for those who don't have a private option. Well, it's funding expired at twelve one am midnight on Wednesday of this week. So these are going to be real problems. Let me tell you who will still continue to get paid. Members of Congress and the President himself will continue to collect paychecks. More than two hundred thousand members of law enforcement will continue to work. That's according to Homeland Security Director and the puppy killer Christy nome Ice, will continue their work as usual. Unfortunately, so we're looking at really dangerous times, you guys. And I, for myself, just to be transparent, I'm worried about my own funding because for the people in my family who receive these benefits, if they go away, then that means I will have to supplement what they spend and so on. Snap benefits. You already can't buy things like cleaning products, paper products, hot food, things like that. But that's okay because I can supplement those things from my family when it's needed. But when their entire benefits go away, then I will have to supplement their entire needs, from deodorant toothsbors. Think about everything you use on a daily basis to the foods you eat three meals a day. And I'm not going to make my family, you know, eat less or suffer through this. It will cost me more money. And I imagine that a lot of people. Who are we talked about this last week, Andrew, who are the people who made it? So to speak, this will cast a dark shadow across a lot of people's finances. And I just don't know where we go from here. So I just wanted to put that in context for our viewers and open it up to you guys to see that's real. Yeah, like WTA.
Speaker 4: To build off your example with the catastrophe fund, the supplemental sort of, I would like to call it the insurer of last resort, meaning if no other insurance is available to you, the government's the insurer of last resort for Louisiana. You think about hurrican Hurricane season is not over. I'm in Florida, so I stay pretty apparent and aware of it and say a storm word to come through during this period of time. Any losses, any losses to real estate, anything that was previously insured is now uninsured. The real cost for any of that passes directly to the individual owner themselves. Right, So you lose a house, you out of house. If you want one back, you got to pay for it full sale yourself. On the health insurance piece of this, we've already seen across the country people's premiums healthcare premiums, a piece that you have to pay before insurance kicks in, has gone up forty percent in some case, in some cases even more drastically. That's where the Democrats have laid down the steak in the sand. They've said, basically, please, please, please reauthorize the incentives that existed during.
Speaker 3: Well, frankly up to this point.
Speaker 4: And so Obamacare's adoption, the American Affordable Healthcare Acts adoption, all those went away. And so they said, look for our cooperation, for our votes to get to the sixty vote threshold you need in the Senate to plass culture. We will give you those votes if you put back those incentives so that health insurance can remain somewhat affordable for those who are already on the American Affordable Care Act. And of course the Republicans have resisted, the president resist. They are insisting on moving a trillion dollars from working people, working class Americans. They have shifted one trillion dollars, the largest wealth transfer in American history, from all of us to the top one percent, who aren't begging for it and don't need it, and absolutely don't deserve it. So they've chosen their side here. They're not choosing keep government open versus closed. That's not it, Tiffany.
Speaker 3: You laid it out perfectly.
Speaker 4: It's been closed. They've been shuttering the government. Russell Bott's threat to the Democrats, you vote with us or we will fire more people, that ain't real. And I'm glad the Democrats knew that that threat was not real. Why because they've already shown us they're committed to laying off the federal workforce. They're committed to destruction of the government as we know it. And whether Democrats were to acquiesce accept that challenge and then give them their vote or not, Russell vote, Donald Trump and their minions are intent on bringing the government down. And by the way, it will have huge impacts for our economy. Why because the federal government is the largest fricking employer in the land. Nothing bigger, nothing greater, nothing larger, nothing, employing more people than the federal government and its subcontractors.
Speaker 1: Oh won't get paid by the way, the contractor and they will not get back paid when the government functions again.
Speaker 3: And that's their defense. Yeah no, But except for defense.
Speaker 7: I wanted to just flag I actually don't have as much to say on government shut down today. On Tuesday, we did a many I mean a solo pod on the government shut down. I fell a buster for thirty minutes. So I feel like I said all that I need to say there. Y'all please run that thing back. And speaking of running that thing back, let's go ahead and hear what Jasmin Crockett has to say well.
Speaker 9: As it relates to the shutdown. Listen, the last time we had a shut down, it was Trump. The longest shutdown we've ever had, it was under Trump. So don't get caught up in this nonsense. That is the Democrat's fault.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 9: The bad part is that people don't understand civics or they listen to people that are gaslighting them. And the facts are the facts. The Republicans control everything.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 9: There are people that want to talk about the filibuster. We can talk about the philibuster if you want to talk about the philibuster. But the reality is that y'all control everything. You control every single lever right now. So when you're in control, that means that it is up to you to figure out how it gets done.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So yes, I think I feel complete on the.
Speaker 4: Not just say, for Jasmine Crockett, who is a hero in a state in her corner, She's not perfect. She is perfectly imperfect, and that's what makes her accessible in somebody that people want to replicate and be inspired by.
Speaker 3: But her point around, Lord, I just lost my threats.
Speaker 5: Well you know why, because we should probably move on to the next topic.
Speaker 1: Well, well, because I said, Andrew said no, yeah, because I remember you wanted to get to this true, and and people are the only reason I'm saying that, Angela's because people are going to be devastated by this. And I know that you had topics on how Jasmine Crockett and her humanity have been coming up. And just in case you are having the reason why Angela san move on is because her solo pod was an hour and a half Angela, is that right.
Speaker 5: With Yeah, my solo pod was out, Yes, Maxine Waters. Then I filibuster for a bit.
Speaker 7: Jazzmine's teams had a little bit of some technical difficulties.
Speaker 5: But it was so worth the way.
Speaker 7: And Andrew, you know, one of the things that I think is significant here as we navigate through this show, through this shut down, through this administration, is the ways in which folks who are in elected office and our public service, what you have to do to put your lives, your physical body, your emotional health on the line. And I think we were talking about, you know, just being concerned about our dear sister Jazzmine and making sure that we're covering her, especially when you know, the Laura Lumers of the world are saying all.
Speaker 5: Kind of crazy stuff, questioning intellect.
Speaker 7: Degrading them, calling them out their name for doing nothing but protecting black folks, you know, and what's in the best interests of the whole of the American people, whether or not the whole of the American people receive it or not.
Speaker 5: So, you know, I think to that end, we have to find multiple.
Speaker 7: Places to share, to be advocates in whatever our lanes are to be, to utilize our platforms and our talents to facilitate change in this country. We have to use every tool at our disposal, not just one solitary tool.
Speaker 5: I don't know if that reminded you, but if.
Speaker 3: Not, listen, Angela.
Speaker 4: You know I should have left a dead thing alone because it was a technical point and I completely lost the threads.
Speaker 3: So guess what, all, right?
Speaker 5: That what you said using the talents is bad, Bunny.
Speaker 1: Yes, and we have a viewer question who brought that up? So, but to close out, I just want to say.
Speaker 3: For those of you, I love y'all. I love y'all for y'all's pivoting and the cover is really humorous.
Speaker 5: Well, you guys cover me too.
Speaker 1: We all cover each other. But I just want to say before we move on, for all of you who are impacted by this government shutdown, who are now worried about how you're going to pay your mortgage, how you're going to feed your children, how you're going to take a care of family near and far, I too, am in that same situation with you. I understand, and we will be continuing to talk about it here on Native Lamb Pod. If you do want a deeper dive, though, please do revisit Angela's solo pod. It was an hour and a half just on the government checkout. So we're not breezing past this. It's just that it has not been talked about a lot, so thank.
Speaker 10: You for that.
Speaker 5: Keep we keep going from crisis to crisis.
Speaker 7: Yes, we keep like this is a manufacturer crisis that they do at our expense, over and over again, and that should not be lost on you.
Speaker 5: And just in time Andrew's point got it back then, you got it.
Speaker 3: You got it. So this was the point.
Speaker 4: It was Usually when there's a president and a Congress, they do everything that they can to avert a shutdown. Why because they know of the drastic harm that it causes people. This administration, the incentives are perverse. They're not incentivized to reduce harm. They're not incentivized to keep government open and accessible to the people.
Speaker 3: This president has determined that he.
Speaker 4: Is he is really loyal only to him at this point, as far as he's concerned, either there will be no more elections or he won't stand for another election for president, and therefore his poll numbers don't matter. And I wanted to bring in the point around these poll numbers that came out this week would show that pretty much, although underwater and unpopular, the president's support amongst Republicans remains not out of ten Republicans in this country still approve of his job. And so we've all been talking about and waiting for the reasonable ones to show up? Where are the ones who are the middle world? Where are the folks who are are reasonable in this moment and can see the harm that's being caused. I guess the illumination I had and I knew it all along, but confirmed reading these numbers this week is that there isn't that their wholesale signed up to the full scale agenda. So the tactics that they may find unpleasant along the way might just be just that unpleasant, but as it relates to the goal, their wholesale fully committed to the destruction that Donald Trump is sowing throughout this country, throughout the world, certainly throughout this government. So I just wanted to disavow us of the fact that this is in any way a real normal moment. We've got perverse incentives of a guy who actually gets the pleasure off of people doing bad, of people suffering in so many ways, you know, that is the point of what they're doing. And to the extent that there are reasonable people, I can't see it, and these poles confirm it.
Speaker 3: They don't exist.
Speaker 5: And sometimes people can be so bad it's good.
Speaker 1: Well, I think Angela's talking about I just want to point out, though factually you're talking, I'm pretty sure you're referring to the Reuter's pole there. Andrew and yes, yes, the pole. But yes, let's move on because I.
Speaker 5: Think it's so bad it's good.
Speaker 1: Angela really wants.
Speaker 5: To move on to this.
Speaker 3: Buddy.
Speaker 5: But m so we have a question.
Speaker 1: Let's hear from a from a viewer? Uh to shift us into the next subject.
Speaker 11: Hey, Native Lampard, this is Megan from Cleveland, Ohio. My question has to do about you know, was recently announced that Bad Bunny would be performed, I mean at the super Bowl, and I just want to know. You know, first of all, does anyone even remember Kendrick's performance? You know, with everything happening, everything that has happened, what really did that performance?
Speaker 6: Do you know?
Speaker 11: I don't know that we have more black ownership in the NFL. I don't know that we have more black head coaches on the field in the NFL. So we have these moments and it just seems like we're the only ones celebrating them. You know, they just seem performative. I don't know that they really do anything. I don't know what movement it actually makes for our community. So now with Bad Bunny performing, do we care what?
Speaker 6: What you know?
Speaker 11: Are we do we have an opinion on it at all?
Speaker 5: Are we excited. I don't know that I'm excited.
Speaker 11: They're letting us get up there in tap dance form, but we've always got up there in tap dance form.
Speaker 12: So just wanted to know you.
Speaker 11: Guys thoughts on it. Love Native Land, been a fans in Stay One, Take care of you guys.
Speaker 5: Thank you Megan for that question.
Speaker 1: We have gotten your feedback that we don't specifically answer your questions all the time, so I know, Angela, you have a lot of thoughts on this subject.
Speaker 7: Well, first, let me just say this because I think that people will relate, say, Jake, we remember Kidrick's performance, Like, not only do we remember Kidrick's performance, it is still firal right now. You could walk up to somebody and say da Da Da da and they know what it means. Like it wasn't just the song, it was the way that he uh challenged the fabric of America in his performance.
Speaker 5: And I think that.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna I'm gonna say something that may be controversial to some of y'all. I think that one of the best things that could have happened to the super Bowl halftime show is that Rock Nation took it on and they have the ability to challenge the viewer, the typical NFL viewer, the folks who are in those stands. Overwhelmingly we cannot afford those tickets. Some parts of us can't afford those tickets. But those shows are for the viewing audience at home to challenge, for some to uplift, and for some to be able to have a man corner.
Speaker 5: While there has been, I.
Speaker 7: Think, particularly this year, a growing or over the last three hundred and sixty five, a growing divide even more so than normal between the black and brown communities, I think that it is very powerful that Bad Bunny has the opportunity, in the midst of what is happening to LATINX folks to have that stage. I really do, and I look forward to what he does there.
Speaker 5: I don't believe.
Speaker 7: That movements are built absent arts, whether they are the fine arts or performing arts. I think that they are built and inspired and carried through the arts.
Speaker 5: You know, to the point where I would.
Speaker 7: Ask for some artists to come together to do a song around state of the People, and that they would agree to do something like that.
Speaker 5: It is, I mean, there's a reason.
Speaker 7: Why we are the world had the impact it had, you know, even if you look back to Jason's lyric and there was a black male chorus, you will know, like there are moments self destruction, there are always moments where the arts carry the movement, carry the demands.
Speaker 5: Of the people. And I think that this isn't any different. And if it can be on a.
Speaker 7: Stage that is so well funded, so well choreographed, it's so overwhelmingly seen, I think that's exactly where the arts belong.
Speaker 3: That's real appreciate.
Speaker 5: Can I just say this to our dear sister from Cleveland.
Speaker 7: I know that it's not answering your question, but I do want to acknowledge your skin is poppinsis.
Speaker 5: Glowing.
Speaker 3: I love it. Shout out Began.
Speaker 4: I will say to answer very directly, halftime performances are performative by definition, they are really intended.
Speaker 3: No, I mean this by the sensitive.
Speaker 4: I think of late, we've gotten very high minded about our expectations for these kinds of performances. But largely, you know, it's to entertain. And it's only of late and at very selective moments in American history have we seen them catapult to something more, to be statement pieces, to be thought pieces, to be queries of the mind and of people who are watching to be moments of protests, but also moments of unity on occasion they are also, you know, in my opinion, representation matters. It matters to see yourself your experience reflected, and it matters especially on an occasion where there are more eyes on the television screen on one single set of programming, which hasn't frankly happened in this country for thirty forty years. You know, back in the day when there were only four networks, everybody forty million people were watching the same show at the same time. There was a common American experience that doesn't exist anymore in our country. By and large, this is probably one of those very few occasions where all eyes or as many eyes as you can imagine, are on one set of programming. And I like the fact that my white colleagues, my black colleagues, brown sisters and brothers out there, so on and so forth, are by and large experiencing this very same moment at the same time, and oddly enough, many of them still walking away with very different impressions and piercings and evaluations of what that thing meant to them.
Speaker 3: Usually the haters say that was boring that didn't need to happen. Da da da da dada.
Speaker 4: When did we become so political? And then those who are affirming of the performances and what they signify by virtual meaning are championing it.
Speaker 3: Man, that was high, that was wild? Did you see Do you understand the meaning of that? Wholesale? Incoment?
Speaker 4: Newspapers are writing thought pieces on what was intended by each piece of art and choreography, you know, as it unfolded. I just think that's powerful. There are very few moments anymore in this country where we have shared experience, even if our interpretations of that experience are different, and representation matters.
Speaker 1: You know, I take a completely different view than both of you. I acknowledge your points, and I definitely think they're.
Speaker 13: Like.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree with them. I just have a different view. I kind of agree with the viewer my sister from Cleveland, because I don't think she was saying that people don't remember Kendrick's performance in the sense that we've forgotten about it. I understood her to be saying, what did it change? You know, what policies did it change? And I certainly understand her point. In Okay, so they get the benefit of our eyes. These billionaire NFL owners who largely support Donald Trump and this administration and his policies, who have contributed to him, they get the benefit of black and brown talent at their halftime show. We increase their viewership when we watch the games and when we watched the halftime show. Even if he is there making a political statement and a political point, the question I'm asking is who's really winning and who's really losing. Just for backgrounds for people who may not be familiar with the whole Bad Bunny saga, he did a thirty one day residency in San Juan. He bypassed coming to the mainland is driving me crazy, because in the newscast you'll hear him say, well, he bypassed coming to the US. Well, Puerto Rico is a part of the United States. He bypassed coming to the mainland because of the mass ice deportations, which are of course unconstitutional, which are of course authoritarian, And he in an interview with ID magazine said I'm not doing my concerts. Their ice could literally be outside of my concert. So I applaud him for taking that stance. He left a lot of money on the table he was printed about it, and I really appreciate that. I too question what have we really gained since Rock Nation took over the halftime show other than some super dope halftime shows. Where I struggle, I think is what you guys are saying, and what I think you guys are saying is messaging matters. You know, imagery matters at this time, and I think that's so true. That is definitely essential. This is a large audience, So given that, I hope he goes super hard, you know, I hope he is disrespectful at the halftime show because I think that's what it would take. I remember there were people saying they didn't get Kendrick Lamar. What was he saying they didn't get the performance? If you ain't get it, it wasn't for you. I've seen a lot of videos in my feed of people sitting there, like trying to learn Spanish, and they're like me, trying to learn Spanish, so I can understand everything. For the halftime show, people are definitely excited about it, but I do I think her point stands like, we haven't seen this increase in black coaches. We haven't seen any NFL policy change, nor have we seen these halftime performances push any policy outside of the NFL even So I think it's a fair criticism, and I think we should.
Speaker 5: It is our job.
Speaker 1: It is our responsibility as consumers of Rock Nations music and as consumers of the NFL to continue to push them to give us more tangible change. Because I would even say, even if there were more black NFL coaches, like Okay, it was kind of like around the protest around Colin Kaepernick, I'm like, that's all we ask them for is but it's one black man to get a job, Like we need institutional change.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Andrew, I want to ask you when did when did halftime performances and the entertainers who entertain us during that time like get tasked with the responsibility of creating public policy change.
Speaker 1: So I don't think it's their responsibility to create policy change. I think at the time that Rock Nation took over the halftime show, that is what centered because that's why it happened, because people were critical of the NFL. It was on the heels of them completely disrespecting and sidelining and robbing Colin Kaepernick of employment and opportunity. And so when it was beneficial for them to turn something over to a black man. That's when they did it. And so the pushback from the black community was like, oh, hold up, what's going on. I mean, Colin Kaepernick wasn't supportive of the move so people were saying, what are we getting out of this? And so that was and Angel correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that was their response, like, no, we're gonna, you know, make this a moment, make this a movement. These halftime shows will be a movement. I think that's when the halftime show became political. For the expectation of it was to be political and give pushback. But I'm open to if I have that wrong.
Speaker 4: No, but to that extent, I would say the shows of late actually have been more political, and they have provoked an awoken, real conversation and debate within the American peace and I actually think like that's the change that has even if it draws us to our corners, at least we start to hear people articulate what's driving them to one corner or another. We are so beref of honest dialogue anymore as a country. I mean, like I used to think that Republicans had a set of values around. For instance, they used to be the party of don't tread on Me, and now there anything but that anymore. Right, Yet there's still claiming and you know, shrouding themselves in the American flag, And I'm like, how dishonest can you be? Either you line to you, because I know you've been lying to me. I didn't expect the truth from you, but to themselves, And so I appreciate what dialogue can be sparked there, because in truth, public policy change around diversity and inclusion doesn't change people's hearts and minds. It's culture that changes hearts and minds. It's culture that largely causes you to think differently about a thing, to be pricked in a way that is not totally offensive, and therefore you might be open to what the critique is.
Speaker 3: I think that's kind of what art helps to I don't think we're in a mad society.
Speaker 1: I don't think we're dealing with those we're dealing with extremists, We're dealing with culton.
Speaker 4: I agree with that by and large. For those of us who are political, I agree with that by and large. But again, you know, half the country ain't voting and the majority of support that we need to be having out there is amongst each other, is with community. And so to the extent that this sced conversation that wasn't happening before.
Speaker 3: I mean really before we were.
Speaker 4: Talking about somebody titty being out right and Timberlay getting off while somebody else is carrying the load. And now people are talking about what is the symbolism and the meaning behind this that part while taking ownership of the flag, but in a different way. Now I feel more connected to my country and to my community.
Speaker 3: I just think that's I.
Speaker 1: Think our side.
Speaker 3: I was about to value that.
Speaker 1: I think we've always been talking about that though, Like I just I agree with the caller or the viewer's point. What exactly is this changing? What institutional changes has the NFL made, and what changes do we think these performances make other than enriching the pockets of billionaires who support this administration and their policies. What I would like the audience to know because of bad Bunny bypassing the United States and why he is is right now, immigrants with no criminal record zero criminal record are the largest group in US immigration detention centers. That's according to data released by our own United States government. So when we're looking at that, I can understand why people are saying, I don't know, if you know, I'm excited about this bad Bunny performance more than I am outraged about what's actually happening in the country. But I don't want to be hypcrit I will be watching the halftime show and go ahead, Angela, yeah, go.
Speaker 3: Ahead, No.
Speaker 7: And I think this is the thing, right, It's like, you know, we have somebody or an entity that is willing to push the buck with these folks because they have some influence. They've been able to shift. Folks would be mad as hell if it was Kid Rock, you know what I mean. So now it's like, oh, well, these racist NFL owners, of which there are many, right, So you still have the NFL running this show, but the owners still have outside influence. Many of them think they are right, we don't say many. Too many of them think they are running plantations. And so when you have that ideology and you have somebody willing to push back on this, yes it is just the halftime performance, And yes it is the halftime performance. That is the very thing that if it were not these artists that we actually do support politically or we do feel like we're aligned with them on social issues or social justice causes. We would be mad if it was somebody else, like the many of the artists. No, Taylor, Taylor is more aligned with us politically and on social issues than some others. But I do think bad Bunny makes a different statement than Taylor does. And so yeah, like I just I think that it's interesting that it's like you damned if you do, damned if you don't hear. The other thing that I'll say without saying too much, is I really wish people knew the backstory of what happened and how they got to doing the halftime shows to begin with, of what their actual intention was. There wasn't a real different end goal than what the rest of the community was, and that was for Cap to get on a team. But I wonder for us if Cap getting on the team would have been sufficient. If Cap got on a team, would we still have the issues around the lack of black head coaches in the NFL when we still have an issue with the fact that only seventeen percent or eighteen percent of coaches look like us. The fact despite the fact that seventy five percent of the players look like us, so I really want us to also challenge our own hypocrisy here. And I'm saying us black folks, because it is far deeper than that. But I recognize and understand the symbolism. We have to decide if the symbols are the substance or if we're going to continue to push for substance even when we get some of the symbols. And I think that it is not either or. It is probably a both and approach. But we got to figure out, you know, what is the symbol that we care the most about and when we're going to challenge them for upholding the symbol but dissing us on everything else, or should we be doing both? And I think this is probably one of those things where we should do both. We've got to win on the halftime show. It is not sufficient, and I think the Rock Nation family understands that, and certainly everybody on this podcast understands this. There is another viewer question here, and since you brought up Ice Tiff, maybe we should tap in there.
Speaker 5: But I heard Andrew take a breasth case he wants no.
Speaker 4: I just I think we shouldn't overload people with doing everything we all have our jobs. We all have our roles to play. Policymakers have a job to do here, the board of these multilateral corporations who are sponsors to the commercials that play that largely line the pockets of the networks, and these owners, they have a role to play. Also, entertainers who are really invited to just entertain have a responsibility in a role to play given their platforms. And I don't want to overload any one side of this with more than what they're reasonable and righteous responsibility ought to be in the moment.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I would push back on that a little bit. I think rock Nation became the you know, jay Z and rock Nation became billionaires off of us supporting his music his projects early on. So I think black people are always righteously entitled to challenging what he's done with that level of responsibility.
Speaker 7: I would never that's not entirely true though, Like he did not become a billionaire just off of streams. He became a billionaire after several other business deals.
Speaker 5: But he became a billionaire.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying he does, but he did. I'm not saying every billion he got was from us, but I'm saying from the support that black people gave him that put him in a position to flip that money a few times.
Speaker 7: But that was the finesse of a smart businessman investing in I'm not taking.
Speaker 1: That away from him, but he wouldn't have been able to do that much if he didn't have to support of black people. So that then say, we can't challenge him and what he's doing.
Speaker 5: That challenge it, but I think you should listen to the facts of their responses though too. I think that's true.
Speaker 1: I think unfortunately, well I shouldn't say unfortunately or not, but Colin Kaepernick was you know, vocal about his thoughts on the partnership, and that's what we heard. And I think the imagery that we've seen, you know, from them dining with uh, you know, the the Trump kids and people right after.
Speaker 5: That announced and bad Bunny would be the halftime performer. That doesn't But that.
Speaker 1: Doesn't not a lot of people. That does not wait for a lot of people. I think people have a right to be outraised and angry about those things. They can be, but I want them to be outraged and angry with facts. So then even the comment just now about they were dining with the Trump kids. Let's just put some clarity around this.
Speaker 5: So they are. They are.
Speaker 7: Some of the founding members of the Reform Alliance, which was a bipartisan effort to help get people, reduce people's sentences, make sure that justice reform actually happened in this country. Even the Koch Brothers were a part of these efforts with Hikim Jeffries just a few years ago.
Speaker 5: Now it feels like five hundred.
Speaker 7: But the Reform Alliance is holds a gala, a casino event every year where people on every side of the on all parts of the political spectrum, participate in that event. So the Trump's Jared Kushner, whose father was also incarcerated and therefore he leaned very heavily into justice reform efforts in the last Trump administration, is now involved in the Reform Alliance, and they participated in the most recent event. It was Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner.
Speaker 1: And the reason his father was exactly the reason that father was parsrated is a whole other thing. But thank you, because I think that that the facts do matter around that. But if we're saying imagery matters in the halftime show, then imagery definitely equally matters when you are seated at the table with Jarrek Kushner at a time such as this, when things are going on, I think it is perfectly fine for people to question, wait a second, this doesn't feel right to me, or wait a second, what more are you doing? What more can we should we be expecting of you? It's not this to anybody, But I was talking to one of our luner. I don't think he would want me to say his name, but I was talking to one of our luminaries of the time, asking his thoughts, and he said, listen, at the end of the day, a billionaire is a billionaire is a billionaire, And so I think sometimes I do question that. You know, I look at the peopleeople who in our community who maneuver at that level, and there does sometimes feel like a disconnect. But I also think it's fair what you guys are saying about imagery mattering, and about what we should what's realistic, what we can expect, and should we be celebrating the things that they are doing. I think everything on the table I think is fair. I just identify more with what the viewer, what she was raising. I think it's a fair question to ask.
Speaker 4: The only thing I know we got to go on is simply say we could. We could disrupt the lives of these billionaire, racist owners, many of too, many of which right now owned teams and think they run in plantations. For sure, if we decided to take our eyes off the screen every Sunday, very fought if we were to remove ours, because the accountability has to.
Speaker 3: Flow all way.
Speaker 5: Yes, that's true.
Speaker 4: It isn't just Jaz, It ain't just the you know, the owners. It is the fact that they wouldn't have what they have. The NFL would not be the expanding, profound industry, you know, disruptive industry that it is from me and so much else if our eyeballs were not on it, if we were not watching, if we weren't attending games and buying tickets. And the truth is is if we the regular folk, were to remove our support visa VI, putting our eyes on it, therefore driving money toward it, then that wouldn't be the thing.
Speaker 3: Ross wouldn't be a thing. Right, So accountability is right.
Speaker 4: I was only simply arguing not just what's possible or what's reasonable, but to say that I do have expectations for everybody along this along this pipeline, and it doesn't. I was simply saying, it doesn't sit with Bad Bunny himself to accomplish all those missions by through his performance.
Speaker 3: It doesn't sit with jay Z by himself. It doesn't sit with any one of those.
Speaker 4: Constituencies by themselves, but the most impactful constituency of those of us who are watching.
Speaker 5: I love that.
Speaker 1: Can I just say I really love this conversation. I didn't expect this conversation to go all these different dress I knew there was daylight, but it really is a New Wants conversation. I don't think we would have gotten this conversation anywhere else on the cable news. It would have been a five minute thing. So I really love the nuanced perspective that we all bring and would love to hear from our viewers. Please weigh in with what you all think. I love what you said, Andrew, And I'm not dismissing people who love football, because when this was happening, I remember, y'all know I'm a big huge Game of Thrones head, and I was trying to think, like, damn, what if it was called a boycott? Not watching Game of Thrones? How get So would I be like, am I gonna miss that Game of Thrones finale?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 1: So I get that perspective, but I like the exactly But I appreciate the perspective that you're like, responsibility doesn't sit with any one of us, for everybody who's out there watching the football game but criticizing the halftime show, like what are you doing in your role of responsibility? So I love that. But but a lot of the stems from bad Bunny not bringing his tour to the mainland because he said, you know, ICE could be right outside his concerts, and I know we have a viewer who has a question about that.
Speaker 8: What's up? Native Land is Larry once again in Dallas, soon to be in Canada once I move next month. But I want to talk to you guys about the bad Body Built bill that Trump just signed into law. This is going to give ICE an astounding amount of funding.
Speaker 13: Not only would dollar for dollar make it the largest governmental agency, but also I believe I read the sixteenth largest military power on the planet.
Speaker 8: That's terrible. I see this going horribly not only for immigrants, but for everybody that dissents against this fascist agenda. I wanted to know from you guys, what are some steps of disruption or mutual aid that people can do to combat ICE and or the undoubtedly problemat of consequences that this new Gestapo force is going to have on average citizens. Looking forward to hearing your perspectives. I love y'all, and welcome home.
Speaker 5: Welcome home, he said, he moving to Canada.
Speaker 1: He said, yeah, you got a question, though, don't get side. We don't answer that question. I know, well, my thought is to be disobedient. What I've seen from and this is just like videos that unfortunately you don't find on legacy media, but you've seen videos from different outlets that find their way to social media and on different news sites where communities overwhelmingly show up and stop ICE from taking somebody. They make them and welcome to the point where ICE literally backs out. They outnumber them in droves. They videotape them. Ice is now attacking people who are videotaping them. This week, they just attacked a journalist. This is not a normal thing. I mean, we are literally normalizing mass men uh taking people off the streets and disappearing them. Reporting from CNN sites that authorities in at least three states have arrested individuals allegedly impersonating ICE officers at a time when real ICE agents have, you know, ramped up their disappearing acts, and it's adding to an existing fear of law enforcement. I said earlier in the show that more people who have committed no crimes whatsoever, they now outnumber these allegedly violent criminals. There have also been thousands of people since these deportations happened. More than a thousand people have disappeared. We just don't know where they are. They've disappeared from the daily body count. So imagine people can't find, you know, their loved ones. The superintendent of schools in Iowa, for all the people who said this an r when we mind in our business, this black man who was born in Guyana, a pillar of the community, was disappeared by ice. And so this is a dangerous, scary time and the only thing that's gonna stop and authoritarian regime is disobedience. I had a chance to talk with Congressman Ayana Pressley about this during the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, and she gave really good advice on this about protecting ourselves and our community. So I'm not telling people to go out there and get shot and you know, confront ice officers with violence. But I do think when we do this in DROs and in numbers and demand you know, accountability and respect for our communities and show up for one another. If there's eighteen agents going after one person and it's thirty people in the neighborhood, then yes, protect that one person. If you see somebody getting taken, get out your phone, ask their name. Who can you call, you know, to let them know that you were taken. It's getting to the point, well I feel like I want to AirTag on me somewhere, just so somebody can constantly be aware I'm aware of where I am. Because they're not citizens, then none of us are citizens if they came and got injury. Right now that you're not a citizen, bo, But wait, yes I am. I have a passport, I can show you. Well, you don't get due processed, so now you're just disappeared. So we have to consider it's not they, it's we. It's not them, it's us. Eventually this problem is going to come to our front door. So that's my thoughts.
Speaker 8: So good, so good.
Speaker 4: It already is I appreciate that SYS. I mean in places like Florida, where you have huge Haitian Haitian communities that have been displaced from hat because of the political discord there and have been granted asylum under previous administrations and have now had it revoked from this administration.
Speaker 3: They are racially profiling.
Speaker 4: They are deciding whether or not you look like you belong here, by the way, a principle that used to be illegal in the United States thanks up until the US Supreme Court majority determined that, oh, racial profiling to determine whether or not a person is a citizen.
Speaker 3: It's just fine with with them.
Speaker 4: The only other thing I would add, and I think you did so well with their Tiffany, is to say at your local levels. So the entire state of California has now banned federal agents coming in without with masks, mass individuals disappearing to use your language, sipetany folks out of communities. You can push for local ordinances where you live. You got to go local government that is sensitive to these human rights concerns. I am totally not shocked that there are now criminal elements who are deciding, oh, we could just throw on some masks and go and get our enemies as well and lift them off the street. There's a reason why people got badges and badge numbers. There's a reason why they wear those things on their uniforms and display them for the public. It's a form of accountability in a democracy, and now we ought to be pushing for that same accountability even for this agency. He is also completely right on the DHS on the Homeland Security. The President frankly building his own army, domestic army to carry out his wishes. While the military he may have been frozen and didn't applaud for him, which is in practice the right thing. That the military is to be non political, to respect the office of the presidency, but not to be partisans.
Speaker 3: So the president, that wasn't good enough for him.
Speaker 4: He wanted obeisance, applause, rowdiness and supporting him.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: Now through his pin up Gnome and the force that she is building under the Department of Homeland Security, he is absolutely building his own domestic army, willing and prepared to do his bidding. And I think that's just a cautionary note that we all have to be aware of. But there are things I think we should be advocating for at our local levels, and that should be no masks. If you're an arresting official agency of the government, you ought to be able to have your name and displayed and no masks.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: On that Andrew again.
Speaker 7: Jasmine Crockett was on with this earlier this week and she has a bill, the clear Id Act, to prohibit people from being in law enforcement and wearing masks approaching citizens or any human being on the street without having to properly identify yourself.
Speaker 1: Okay, why do we have another viewer question? This one is actually specific to Angela's. I want to shift this so Angela can answer his question.
Speaker 5: Let's roll it.
Speaker 6: My question, Angela is does it serve a purpose? The only call out people from the right that call our justice Brown Jackson, who I think is genius in VP Harris the EI picks when it was actually Canada Biden and the Democratic Party that originally called them the EI picks.
Speaker 11: Correct me if I'm wrong, But.
Speaker 6: Wasn't it day Kenneda Biden, in this attempt to get the black vote say that he will pick a black woman justice before even naming her name. And then it was a Democratic Party that turned around and urged.
Speaker 3: Canada Biden to de pick a black.
Speaker 11: Women for VP.
Speaker 13: So would you.
Speaker 6: Agree that that was a mistake on the part of the Dems actually naming a I guess the sense and the race before I actually name it the name.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Okay.
Speaker 7: So here's the thing that I just want to do here, I think is so important. As Andrew said, we do not traffic in insignificance here, and we absolutely want to make sure that we traffic in fact checking. So it was not Joe Biden who began the DEI rhetoric. I don't know of any Democratic candidate even there are Democratic Party strategies now who are saying that we spend too much time in DEI.
Speaker 5: And for those of you who missed it, spending.
Speaker 7: Too much time in DEI means spending too much time targeting the Blacks. So we actually believe, and I won't say for y'all, but I believe in a moniker that the Congressional Black Caucus has long used no permanent friends, no permanent enemies, just permanent interest. To that end, when Joe Biden became the nominee of the Democratic Party nominee in twenty twenty, he was actually pushed to do some things. There were some key voices that urged him to not only pick a black woman vice president, to also pick a black women as a Supreme Court justice, and to have a black agenda that's not too pander. That's not because black people should only be janitors and car salesmen. It's actually because, I believe it or not, there's some pretty bad ass black women that want these things, demanded these things, And I'm a rolling a little clip for y'all from twenty twenty from some badass black women who made these demands.
Speaker 9: Vice President Biden, you need us, you owe us.
Speaker 3: Black women are miracle workers.
Speaker 5: We have been saving the Democratic Party since nineteen sixty five. Twenty twenty is no different.
Speaker 14: Your only path to victory is through Black women.
Speaker 5: The voters that need to turn out. We know how to mobilize them. Our votes must not be taken for granted.
Speaker 1: The following commitments will begin to show black voters that you are serious about US.
Speaker 5: America needs a black woman vice president. Candidates like Amy Klobuchar will not energize US. America needs a.
Speaker 1: Justice.
Speaker 5: Remember Anita Hill.
Speaker 1: We do America needs more in a comprehensive black agenda.
Speaker 3: The rules are rigged against our communities.
Speaker 14: Whether we are talking about a black person who died of COVID nineteen because of the lack of access to health care, or Ahmad Arbury being killed by vigilantes, or Brianna Taylor, an e and t killed by police while laying in her bed.
Speaker 11: We deserve solutions that address systemic racism, economic injustice, and domestic terrorism.
Speaker 7: Joe Biden, you enacted drug and crime laws that harmed the black community for generations.
Speaker 5: Joe Biden, this must be addressed.
Speaker 14: You must address our oppression and most importantly, embrace our power to win the White House.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean the only thing I would add. I think I see your receipts, Frian, and we appreciate.
Speaker 5: I know that receipts.
Speaker 3: I see that I got a sweater.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 3: There she's talking about the show.
Speaker 5: I know, I know, I like the shirt, but I like her nails. Press on, I'm gonna get some love it.
Speaker 4: So on this topic, it's just so blackfeof all the time. We ask what are we getting for our support? What do we get We're the most loyal committed demographic to the Democratic Party, and what do we have to show for it. Just to go a little bit further back, we also made demands on Obama that he make that appointment, that final appointment that he had to the Supreme Court a black woman. He of course made a different choice. I hope we can see how regrettable that whole thing was anyway, But to the point of us finally demanding something for the incredible, inconsistent, reliable support that black folks, men and women, but led first by women give to the Democratic Party, it is.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 4: It was a very obvious observation to have made, to say, all the way up to this point, there is still not the perspective of a black woman on the highest court in the land. Why And that's a reasonable question to be asked, and, by the way, the same question that people in other communities ask all the time when it comes to representation. And so the fact that he chose a black women, a woman or a diversity inclusion higher still doesn't believe the fact that she's the baddest, most qualified, most outstanding justice I have ever seen on the United States Supreme Court. I'm a little biased because she's from Florida and Miami, but more than anything, she's.
Speaker 3: Also highly qualified.
Speaker 4: I would just caution our community not to accept this narrative that diversity, equity, inclusion means didn't deserve it, didn't earn it, or isn't qualified. That's what the other side wants us to believe about what it means. When you say, God damn it, a community is not represented, their voice is not at the table. That doesn't mean get the most unqualified person, person without the proper credentials.
Speaker 3: No, that's what Trump does.
Speaker 4: That's why they've had to raise rave waive so many rules to get his people appointed who are not qualified. We're simply saying we want to be represented. And by the way, the best of us exists, and droves choose one of us to represent at this particular level. So my only caution is, let's not accept their frame about what it means to have diverse workplaces, diverse leadership, diverse ownership, diverse anything. Diversity does not equal unqualified. Diversity means I need to see myself reflected, and you need to diversity of perspectives in order to see the whole picture more clearly. That's what we get through diversity of qualified people.
Speaker 1: And I have a question, Andrew, because one I echo everything you just said. And I'm thrilled always to see the machetes make their appearance on Native Land pod. That was from an OpEd that we did for the Washington Post in twenty twenty, and they asked us to do a video component. So thrilling to see the women most mostly those women are machetes anyway, So shout out to my sisters. But Andrew, when you're talking about like coming after US diversity, equity and inclusion, you were talking about on the call that there's this new piece of legs, like essentially the Trump administration is coming after us and basically trying to requalify who's the domestic terrorist is so much trying to keep up with the news every time it's a Trump administration. I always say, it's like trying to catch comfetti. I cannot keep up. So I had no idea what you were talking about, but you seem passionate about it, and you seem like this is something that has not gotten a lot of coverage.
Speaker 3: It's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I'm a little The way you explained it made me nervous, So I want to hear more.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll just say and and and I don't want to take up too much of our time. But I just want our audience to really be aware that with all the stuff going on, and there's plenty of it for us to stop up, we don't need to miss the fact that Donald Trump just this past week UH issued a presidential memorandum. It's known as the National Security Presidential Memorandum, which shorthand is the n s p M seven, the National Security Presidential Memorandum seven that came from Donald Trump. Now what that memorandum do, To put it in shorthand, it declares war on progressive or liberal infrastructure in this country. It's donors, it's organization and institutions. It's individuals and staff who lead these organizations, say, for instance, the NAACP, save for instance, Color of Change, save for instance, insert any nonprofit that you can name, either locally or nationally that is doing work in service consistent with our values as a democracy, but more importantly, our issues and our values as people think. Dream defenders think, I don't know the tax status of Angela of the State of the people, but if it were its own entity, Okay, so if there were a secretly and it was its own entity, it also is something that you can bring to mind. What the President is doing through this executive order is one declaring war by basically deciding that these liberal quote liberal organizations, extremist organizations as he would categorize them, exists to foe met violence against the right. That's simply their framing. They are targeting the left or liberal groups that they describe as liberal extremists and just determining these groups to be domestic terrorist organizations domestic terrorist organizations. What does it do to declare them domestic terrorist organizations? It opens up a panoply of resources at the federal level that can then be used to go after those groups. Who are those what are those entities that it opens up? So, first of all, let me just define the expanded definition that it's giving to extremism and domestic terrorism. It now includes anti Americanism, anti capitalism, anti Christian support, yes, support for the overthrow of the United States government, extremism on migration, ray engender, and hostility towards those who hold traditional American views on family, religion.
Speaker 3: And morality. Oh my god, Now, how much of that is subjective? First of all?
Speaker 10: And every bit of every bit of it protected speech, every bit of it, part of protected speech of which any of us can have an opinion on creating an organization and advocacy agenda around all of that.
Speaker 4: So this is the new definition that they are now including when they are defining these extremist radical left groups who are now being targeted by the federal government. Stephen Miller at the White House, we all know him as a Deputy chief as Dad, but he's kind of the man over everything is going to play point on introducing this new domestic era campaign that the administration is undertaking. But Stephen Miller is also the same person who is quoted as saying that it is a violent political speech to call Donald Trump wait for it, an authoritarian. So by virtue of calling him an authoritarian now qualifies as again this is why we said this is all subjective, qualifies as violent rhetoric. But I have another suggestion. This is Stephen Miller giving his eulogy or comments at Charlie Kirk's large memorial service, and I actually would submit that this is violent political rhetoric. Take a listen and let me know what you think.
Speaker 12: We will prevail over the forces of wickedness and evil. They cannot imagine what they have awakened. They cannot conceive of the army that they have arisen in all of us, because we stand for what is good, what is virtuous, what is noble. And to those trying to incite violence against us, those trying to foment hatred against us, what do you have?
Speaker 3: You have nothing? You are nothing.
Speaker 12: You are wickedness, you are jealousy, you are envy, you are hatred.
Speaker 3: You are nothing.
Speaker 12: You can build nothing, you can produce nothing, you can create nothing. We are the ones who build. We are the ones who create. We are the ones who lift up humanity. You thought you could kill Charlie Kirk, You have made him am mortal. You have immortalized Charlie Kirk, and now millions will carry on his legacy, and we will devote the rest of our lives to finishing the cause, this for which Charlie gave his last measure of devotion. You cannot defeat us. You cannot slow us, you cannot stop us, you cannot deter us. We will carry Charlie and Erica in our heart every single day and fight that much harder because of what you did to us. You have no idea the dragon you have awakened. You have no idea how determined we will be to save this civilization, to save the West, to save this republic. Because our children are strong, and our grandchildren will be strong, and our children's children's children will be strong. And what will you leave behind?
Speaker 3: Nothing?
Speaker 12: Nothing to our enemies. You have nothing to give, you have nothing to offer, You have nothing.
Speaker 3: To share but bitterness.
Speaker 12: We have beauty, we have light, we have goodness, we have determination, we have vision, we have strength. We built the world that we inhabit now, generation by generation, and we will defend this world. We will defend goodness, we will defend light, we will defend virtue. You cannot terrify us, you cannot frighten us, you cannot threaten us because we are on the side of goodness.
Speaker 3: We are on the side of God.
Speaker 4: So they are enlisting to as part of their assemblage of resources to go after these folks. They are assembling the United States Attorney Attorney General who will play point on this, Homeland Security, the Internal Revenue Service, the IRS here of the government, and they are operationalizing what is known as the locally well actually across the country, is known as basically the terrorism Coordinating Body that can include certain state officials and state offices. That includes over twenty two hundred employees of the Department of Justice anti terrorism units. It evokes at the state and the national level, all of the coordinating groups on anti terrorism, and they are now all being charged to turn their energy not to real threats of terrorism in the United States. They are all now being directed to turn their attention to these leftist groups, extremist groups who foment violence against the rights.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, they can start so unclear you're saying, they can start arresting people, they can start apps. Okay, I'm when you were talking about this in the car earlier, I don't think I fully understood the scope of what you were saying. This is actually don't why this is not a breaking news banner across every news station and why this is not a one above the fold in every news paper right now. I'm embarrassed and ashamed I did not know about n SPS seven. This is a declaration of war on all bakun SA NLP is you know marketing. I mean, this is this goal lead to mass This is cointel pro this is McCarthyism.
Speaker 4: Mcarthy absolutely, And for those of us who don't believe that it can happen. It has already happened in this country before we didn't they didn't have the moniker. The difference is is that the power of being able to declare these groups domestic terrorists unleashes a set of policies that were approved Posts nine to eleven that were used by the Bush administration, the warrantless wire tapping, some of the other subterranean investigative tools that the government can use. It turns all of that operation on and now directs it to these quote, enemies of the state that the Trump administration identifies. And I'll say one other thing, and I'll bring it to clothes, which is this entrust and basically now obligate. The fbis over forty thousand Joint Terrorism Task Force units to now become operational in the United States. It admonishes the Department of Justice to begin conducting interviews, investigations, and interrogations against employees, leaders, executive directors, presidents of these organizations, funders of these organizations.
Speaker 3: And by the way, some of.
Speaker 4: These funders are big money donors, but some of these funders are regular people like you and me who are giving twenty dollars and twenty cents every month. They now get to interrogate these individuals under this auspice to root out whether or not there is propaganda or speech within these organizations that has the ability to foment violence. The other thing that this thing is doing is it is not just solving a crime after a crime has happened. It is saying that their major goal to prevent prevent these violent actions from ever taking place.
Speaker 3: Now what does that do?
Speaker 4: That means it becomes highly subjective, highly theorized by the government what they think your intention is, and then they get to them basically do the work to drive you toward that conclusion. Oh well, we just averted a potential terrorist event domester terroists event by keeping the state of the people from protesting against the death of citizen X Y and Z.
Speaker 3: So y'all, I don't want you to think.
Speaker 4: That this is just going to impact people who are the big known names, who are the faces in which we recognize every day and are out. The truth is is that Ahmad Aubrey or Breonna Taylor, they were just regular people before they weren't. These are folks who are just living until they get on the wrong side of the opinion of the leader. So if you don't think autocracy has already taken hold in this country, if you don't think that the instruments of government are already being organized and leveraged against us, and through this memorandum with nobody to stop him or to hold him to account, and a Supreme Court who is complicit this expedient move toward authority terianism, we are about to be at this game by ourselves, y'all. So I want you all to look it up, research it, learn more. I don't have the whole show to go through all of it, but just know that this thing is real, and it is believed by the reporting entities that work has already begun, that they have already begun on their targets to drive them.
Speaker 5: They have, they have, And I just I wanted to just flag one other thing.
Speaker 7: There was a an executive memo with an accompanying executive order, and I want to be clear that the accompany executive order is designating Antifa as a domestic terrorist organization. And Antifa has always been an umbrella for anything. They don't like anything other, so absolutely, I just I just wanted to flag that that this was on the other side of Charlie Kirk's murder. They now are trying to pin this on all things left, and we know left is a spectrum and all of that now is being deemed violent to them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Angela, you're one thousand percent right. I mentioned I failed to mentioned the Antifa piece of this. They declare Antifa terrorist organization, y'all, you can google it right now. There is no Antifa board, the Antifa president. It's is a theory, it is a it's a theorem, it is a belief system. It is ideological. And that's the beauty of them identifying Antifa as the instrument because.
Speaker 3: They can go, just like they did during the Red Scare. They can go and determine any one of us is Antifa, any one of us even though there doesn't even exist an organizations such that.
Speaker 7: Is so nice the thing that is the thing. So I wanted to make sure that we just are very clear about this, and please know, for those at home who are concerned about this memo guiding them through this type of policy, all of this is to keep us from focusing on the Ebstein files. I just want to be very clear. He is doing everything he is throwing the sink, the cold kitchen sink at everybody and anything to keep us focused on not focused on the Ebstein files. He's willing to defund the government, keep people out of work, prevent contractors from being paid, provincial health care, make his friends richer, all if it keeps us away from what we know is that the heartbeat of this administration. And I'm sure there are, of course, there are other pieces, you know that he's a puppeteer for, you know, Project twenty twenty five and all of that, But some of these pieces even go beyond what is in Project twenty twenty five. They do, and it's a blueprint, but it's not the whole print. And I think we got to be clear about what it is, the reason, the pace and what and how inflammatory they're being right now.
Speaker 5: Even the piece around the military the other day, you know, like all.
Speaker 1: Of that, I think what you're referencing, Angela, is this quote unquote pep rally, this g I Joe nonsense that the Secretary of War formerly Secretary of Defense Pete Hexseth hosted this week, Always a bad idea to gather our generals from all across the country and put them in one place. But that happened this week so much ridiculousness. We didn't have time to get to it. But I have to say I think Epstein files are not all these things would have still been happening. I think it was always a play just love the zone with chaos and institute this authoritarian regime. And how frightening. I just want to say thank you Andrew for raising this. I would like to revisit this discussion if we can in the coming months, because I'm sure we'll start to see the victims of this incredibly draconian policy. And if this were happening in any other country, the way we will be covering it would be very different. So the fact that this is happening in America, I can't stress enough.
Speaker 5: Please get the f.
Speaker 1: Off your phones, stop scrolling, stop doing nothing like the red line has been crossed. It is a fire right now. I can't tell you all what to do, but I at least want you to be aware. Closing your eyes and checking out doesn't mean that these things aren't happening. So this is frightening.
Speaker 4: Tiff to your point, your last point there, and I know we're moving on. It is that we all think that there's one day, like you turn on a light switch, it's dark, and then it's light. That's how it's supposed to feel when we become what Trump is making us to be. The truth is is that it's already here.
Speaker 3: The people in.
Speaker 4: China, they go to restaurants, they go to movies, they get on their phones, and they get to commune with each other. But the truth is is that that we can still do all those things, except what about when you decide that you disagree with the with the government. What happens when you decide that you want to know why you're being arrested. What happens when you decide to speak up against them coming for you and your country? Then you start to see the consequences of living in an authoritarian regime. I know the topics were heavy and somewhat light at different points in the show. But on the other side of this break, you stay tuned, you hear our CTA's.
Speaker 1: All right, we are way over time, so let's quickly get to our CTAs.
Speaker 5: Angela.
Speaker 7: You want to go first, okay? So for CTAs TIF, I need a second. I don't know, I'll think it's something quick.
Speaker 1: Over time we way over times. I'm gonna be really quick, I'll go. My CTA is there's an incredible organization called Prison Journalism, and it is a program that teaches the incarcerated how to be journalists, and so they write really amazing stories about their experience being imprisoned. Some of the stories are things like to avoid deportation, people want to stay longer at my prison. Another one is air conditioning is coming to Texas prisons, but not fast enough. Another is what my mornings are like in prison. I read this content because I can't take the influx of atrocities happening, and so I just want the men and women who are incarcerated to know you are not forgotten about. I read your stories. I encourage other people. You can go to prison Journalism dot com, I think is the website. They also have an Instagram handle. I have some friends who are on the board and I was reading stories this week and thought, oh, I should talk about this on Native Land. So that's my CTA. If you have family in prison, if you know anybody, please let them know that I said it. And if you happen to have access to our YouTube and watch NLP, just know that you are not forgotten about. I think about our brethren and sisters behind bars every day, especially since Angela recommended that I read Asada, which I'm still obsessed with. So think about that for you.
Speaker 5: Andrew, absolutely, rest in peace is a good one.
Speaker 4: And power I will I will simply ask and admonish you. Please please please go and read or google just in as a Nathan s p M seven n sp M seven, look it up. We cannot be caught unawares. We need to know what's coming down, and especially because we are at the center of its its target, and its impact, we gotta know Google it.
Speaker 5: Okay, I guess it's my turn.
Speaker 7: I think the only thing that I would challenge our audience within this moment is during our live show, I ask folks to really contemplate why they are made for this moment. And I think it's something that we need to be asking ourselves every day. To Andrew's point, being caught unaware, to tips point feeling like you're trying to catch confetti, you have to constantly ask yourself what gifts, what talents, what tools do you have? What time do you have to really try to meet this moment that we're in it's just not one for us to rest on our laurels, and it doesn't mean that folks can't take a break. But I do think that this is a moment for mass action and I'm hoping that everybody will join us in that, And you can start by joining us this upcoming weekend at Culture Con where we will be live, and also, as Tip said earlier in the show, you will also.
Speaker 5: Be able to catch it Monday if you can't get to New York on Saturday.
Speaker 1: I'm looking forward to seeing y'all the most in New York, but hopefully looking forward to seeing our audience as well. As always, you want to remind everyone to please do leave us a review and subscribe to Native Land Pod. If you want to send in a video, question, comment, whatever, you can DM it to us and our Instagram handle at Native Lamb Pod. We're available on all podcast platforms and YouTube, so if you're looking for more shows like ours, please do check out Reason Choice Media Network Politics with Jamil Hill Machete member, shout out to Jamel Off the Cup with s Cup not a machete member, but shout out to Anyway in our newest edition. Now you know Noah ziver ASO give those shows a follow, check them out, let us know what you think, and please don't forget to follow us on all our social media to describe our sorry. Subscribe to our text or email list on native landpod dot com. All your texts go directly to Angeli's personal phone, so be sure to give us a shout. We are your host, Tiffany Cross, Angela Angela or Angela Gillim.
Speaker 5: Listen to me, gill get started. You are my actual family.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, he hyphenates Andrew Gillim Ryuh.
Speaker 5: Okay, it's a lot of misinformation. Jay, you guys, it is really gross toasted. I like Briber, I don't mind it.
Speaker 1: Okay, there are three hundred and ninety seven days until midterm elections. After everything we heard about NSPSM seven, I hope I got that right. I'm extra concerned about midterms. That doesn't mean that we're laying down. We're going to fight everywhere we can anytime we can. But reminding you, guys how many days there are until midterm elections also warrants a reminder that our very democracy is under attack. As much of democracy as we've had the limited experience to endure here in America. All right, Welcome home y'all, thanks for tuning in. And oh, by the way, check out this week's mini pod. We have doctor Joy, you know her from hosting Therapy for Black Girls. She's going to be the guest on our mini pod. We're gonna also on our minipod get some more of your viewer questions. Then we're gonna talk a little bit about Serena Williams and Megan Kelly. We didn't get to it this show, but that will be featured on our mini pod, so be sure to check us out.
Speaker 5: Welcome home, y'all.
Speaker 2: Thank you for showing in the Natives, intentional with the info and all of the latest ridiculum and cross connected to the statements that you leave on our socihows. Thank you sincerely for the patients reason for your choice is cleared, so grateful it took to execute roads. Thank you for serve, defend and protect the truth. Even if paint we walking home to all of the natives, We thank you.
Speaker 1: Native Landpot is the production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows