Speaker 1: It's nine OG one.
Speaker 2: With Jenny Garth and Tory Spelling. Today we are joined by the beautiful actress Jane Daily, who played dylan hypnotist doctor Mollie Campbell. Oh my goodness, you're a sight for sore eyes.
Speaker 1: Am I. It's been a while.
Speaker 2: Has an end, it has and the thing is on our podcast on OMG. We have been watching back the show and we are now at the pinnacle stage for Dylan when he meets with you his hypnotherapist named Molly Campbell. That's right, yeah, did you First of all, I have to ask this first because I'm trying to know. Did you know you were named after our wardrobe stylist.
Speaker 1: No, I did not know that, as I who I was named after already, so happy to.
Speaker 2: Be the one to tell you. Yes, she was our wardrobe designer at the time.
Speaker 1: Well she actually dressed me really great.
Speaker 2: So good you go. Oh my goodness, this is funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is fun huh.
Speaker 2: Yes, we are at in season five when Dylan is introduced to you by his weird friend Charlie. If you remember him, no, no, let's start with this. What do you remember about being on Nino Tito? Like you worked with Luke pretty much exclusively. Yes, and that seemed like a really sort of an intimate, vulnerable on camera relationship. It was, and I'm wondering how it was for you off camera.
Speaker 1: On the set, Luke was so great to me. He was so kind and open and warm, and we wanted it to be good together, do you know what I mean? He really wanted that. He wanted because it was a weird direction that the show went right then, it was a little off beat, and he really wanted it to be real. So we had a lovely, lovely connection together. He was very, very kind to me. I worked also almost exclusively with Jason, who directed all or most of the episodes I was in. So my main memory the first first day was going into the makeup trailer with all you beautiful girls everybody, and I was terrified because I thought, oh God, here's Jenny and Tori and Tiffany and all these beautiful and you were all so popular right then, remember, I mean, it was like just Pinnacle, you know of the show that I remember meeting you own the makeup trailer. But that day, that first day when we went up to the house, the location that's up at the house there had been an absolutely horrific Malibu fire. Yes, and the whole place was burned down. And when we drove up to the location, it was like you were on the moon. It was phenomenal looking. I mean, it was fabulous but horrible, and there was the one little house sitting in the middle of it, phenomen wild.
Speaker 2: I had the feeling. I don't I wasn't there. It wasn't shooting that stuff with you guys, but I had the feeling when I was watching it. But that's exactly what had happened, that that little house was just there on its own. Wow.
Speaker 1: And it really fed into what we were doing. I think from the minute Luke and I walked into that location and sat down and we started talking about, well, I don't know whether it's real or not, but you've been here before and we did all that kind of thing that we both really got sensations of that I think because of the weirdness of the lad location.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that must have been really weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: So you had before you came to Nino Twoino, you had been on Melrose Place, if.
Speaker 1: I'm not mistaken, Mello's Place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with U was that one with Heather with one up, and then I worked with you again, Jenny on Star Do you remember that? Wait? What year was that?
Speaker 1: After nine o two one? Oh? You and I briefly I played your mother in law in the movie The Movie of the Week Star Wall. You played what was his name?
Speaker 2: It was his name, but I know what was his name.
Speaker 1: I was tried at this this morning. I'll tell her that.
Speaker 2: Gosh, he went on to do a lot of good stuff that this. Oh yeah, he was a sweetheart.
Speaker 1: Good for his name anyway. But yeah, I had done Melrose Place. I had done a lot of Aaron spelling stuff because I've been around in Hollywood since seventy eight, so I had done a lot of stuff and auditioned for him so many times back when he was still, you know, really really doing that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everyone such everyone says that they had such a positive experience. Oh yeah, knowing Aaron and working repeatedly with him. Yeah, that's always fun to hear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he kept people that he loved and hired them again and again, which was so wonderful. I don't know if you know this, but during nine o two one zero, I was commuting back and forth from our home in Naples Florida.
Speaker 2: So wow, how did that work?
Speaker 1: It was tricky. I would fly in, do two episodes I guess they were back to back, and fly home, then come back and I did two more back to back, and then if I do another one back to back. So that was kind of interesting. We had taken like a little sabbatical. We had a home in Naples as well, and that was kind of interesting flying back and forth. You know. Yeah, I wasn't used to it.
Speaker 2: People do that all the time, like now, that's what actors pretty much do. They don't Nobody lives in La anymore.
Speaker 1: I feel like, oh no, no, they live in you know, Sun Valley, Idaho.
Speaker 2: Oh lucky ducks. I need to start I need to start packing.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Something that intrigues me so much about you is that you just said that you started acting in nineteen seventy eight.
Speaker 1: Well I started acting in nineteen sixty four.
Speaker 2: What is happening right now? Okay? You have been in this business.
Speaker 1: I was sixty years. Wow, sixty years, sixty years.
Speaker 2: That's six wow, six generations of years. What I mean You've seen all of the changes, You've seen everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, it's dramatic.
Speaker 2: What stands out to you as like the major moments of change as far as you your perception in the industry. That's so fascinating to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, the things that the things that haven't changed. Jenny still audition. You still go in. Granted we can do it like this sometimes, but you still audition. There's still people that love you and hire you, and other people that they're like, okay, thank you.
Speaker 2: You know, it's still that, you know, the rejection is still there.
Speaker 1: It's there. But back when I first started, there was such a glamor about everything and it was such a big deal my first movie and my first TV. You know, it was like wow, where now there's so much availed, so much content. You know, a lot of it people don't see. Lot gets shuffled to the side. I mean I just by accident found and Farrell and Sugar the other right on, you know, just by accident. So some really good TV. That's almost like film has just gotten so diluted.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's just so many options. Yeah, and you're right, you lose it. And when you're saying, like when you did a movie or a show back then, it was a big deal and it was the everybody knew about it, and everybody was watching it because that's all there was.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean nine o two one oh in its heyday and right when I was on it, right in the middle of your of your run, before Luke left and then came back, of course, But I live I lived down in Palace Verties, and there are all these neighborhood teenagers who were just totally into nine oh two one oh, and in particular at the time, Luke Perry was like off the charts. Everybody was so in love with him. Right, So I became a very big celebrity in my little neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I bet.
Speaker 1: It was a lot of fun back then. And they all had watch parties and so a couple of times, because they were girls that I knew or I knew their mothers, they'd asked if I would come by, So, just like on The Bachelor, I would drop in at their watch party when they were watching an episode I was on, and they go, wow, Bob, they were so excited.
Speaker 2: So that so fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it had a glamor and a bigness to it, where now, like I said, it feels quite deluded, but it also has so much more. I mean I look at things like this and I think, well, who would have thought we could do this?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah? I mean, all these years later, we can still talk about this great show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we can do this where you can have this blog going on about your life and about your career and tories and what all you're doing, and you can connect with me, you know, all these all these years later.
Speaker 2: It's great. I mean, that's been so amazing to be able to go back and talk to all the incredible guest stars that the show had. And you were just so beautiful just watching you where we've just recently been talking about a your beauty and be the intimacy of those scenes and the bizarreness of those scenes. Yeah, and how those scenes kind of didn't really feel like we were watching nine O two one oh anymore, especially when you would put him under your spell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, under the spell? Do you remember, Jenny or have you watched yet? It may have been the final episode, I'm not sure, but where I had been dressed for a party to go out and he sort of crashed to my house and said, I need your help. You have to put me back under. He was trying to find you, Kellyeah yeah, and I was dressed in the black dress and very glamorous and all made up, where before i'd been like a little hippie dippy and that little that little clip where I'm going It'll all come back, Dylan, you know, just keep breathing. That's a deeper, deeper, deeper. And the crew guys were just hysterical. Oh. It really did have a little bit of a kind of a sectional undertone.
Speaker 2: There was some undertone there. We've noticed it for sure. There's one time when you're leaning over and your beautiful dec ltee is exposed. I'm talking exposed.
Speaker 1: What I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: When I watched it afterwards, I thought, well, I didn't know that was.
Speaker 2: Hello, Hello, And weren't you like, Oh I look damn good, thank.
Speaker 1: You, Jenny. That was of course, how many years ago was that nineteen ninety five? Are we talking ninety six ninety five?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know it seems like that, right, It's crazy.
Speaker 1: It's almost thirty years ago, it is. Yeah, I'm seventy.
Speaker 2: Five and you still look damn good.
Speaker 1: You still look like the girl next door. Jenny.
Speaker 2: Now I have to wear glasses to see you. It's a little different.
Speaker 1: See I there, I have them. If I really want everything in focus.
Speaker 2: It's better to just take them off sometimes and see things blurry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, all so you can see me, I don't have to see you as well.
Speaker 2: It's better that way, trust me. It's just so fun to catch up with you, and I love hearing about your connection with Luke. And did you ever see Luke again or work with Luke again?
Speaker 1: Don't make me cry? So Luke was so so loving to me. So he and I emailed for a while after I left the show, which was really lovely of him, because we were very connected that day. I'm pretty sure I can't remember from this picture, can you see it? Daddy?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 1: That was the black dress and the.
Speaker 2: Scenes that's the dress, yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: And the flowers. I'm certain that lou canded them to me as I was, you know, we were wrapping me off of the off of the show. So we emailed a couple of times back and forth and stayed a little bit in touch for a while, you know, and then that all fades away, as it always does after guest starring on something. But I followed him and watched whatever else he did because I really really cared for him, and I was like everybody just devastated, just totally devastated, you know, when he died so young, and it just broke my heart. But what people, I don't think everybody realizes or realized what a terrific actor he was and how much he really gave of himself when we worked. And I still remember a film he did called eight Seconds.
Speaker 2: So I love that movie.
Speaker 1: I always wondered why he didn't do more, bigger, because he was he really had it all. He really to me, And it's probably because we had that really close association and he had to trust me, you know that he wouldn't look foolish or stupid, or I wouldn't look foolish or stupid when we tried to do something that was so out of the norm for the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he loved what he did.
Speaker 1: He did, he loved it, And I remember he left for a while, tried to do some other things and came back because he missed it. Who you all do you know, Yeah, leave it for a while, you come back because you miss it. Yeah, he was a great guy. He was a great guy. You know what. Skipping from Luke for a minute, Jason Priestley such a doll and he directed me, and I think I'm not sure if it was all of them, you might know better, but at least two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think it was all of them.
Speaker 1: But yeah, he was such a sweetheart too, And everybody was so very, very kind of You had an awesome crew, You had crew. They were so lovely to me, So I felt a part of it. I felt a part of something very big for a while.
Speaker 2: I love that. I love hearing that because you were a part of it. You know, everybody who stepped foot onto any of our stages, our sets was had that same feeling of yes, ownership and involvement, and yeah, that connection. I love that.
Speaker 1: That's why the show is still as iconic as it is to this day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it was made with like such love and such.
Speaker 1: A Plusure's incredible cast. You had one of those serendipitous casts that just meshed and was wonderful together. Even with whatever wasn't wonderful parts, the whole was always great on that show. There are very few shows like that. Friends was one of them. Nine O two and zero was one of them. Sein felt You know, there were a few shows where the cast just like.
Speaker 2: Yeah and It's crazy because you just reminded me that that is such an important factor in why people still feel so connected to the show. And even like you know, we go together as a cast sometimes in do appearances. Once in a while, it will be every the whole cast will get together and whatever differences or you know, lifestyles or whatever, we all put it aside and then we just come together as what we always were.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you were such a wonderful group of kids.
Speaker 2: I want to know what you're doing now, why you are sitting in this beautiful location and looking so gorgeous.
Speaker 1: Just my library. We're in my library. I'm a very big reader. I read a lot, and I'm writing. I'm trying to write a novel. In the midst of that, I'm also writing a memoir because I have been in the business for sixty years and there have been some bizarre twists and turns in my career and some wonderful stuff too. When I retired last year, I actually officially said, you know, I'm done because I was tired driving in and out of Hollywood. Jenny, you know, I'm seventy five. That drive from Palaes Bertie's into Hollywood and out the Warner Brothers and all. It just got so tough. So my last thing that I was doing was I had a recurring character on The Rookie And finally that the last season when they were using me, I said, you know, you got to send a driver. I get I can do it. And they finally said, oh, sure, of.
Speaker 2: Course, as they should because they do so well.
Speaker 1: Because it just got it just got rough. You know, the truck's flying by, and the LA freeways and all that.
Speaker 2: It's hard to drive. It's hard ways.
Speaker 1: It's hard at seventy five. It's it's probably hard at sixty fifty. I don't know. But so I got really fed up kind of with that, and then and then COVID hit. And during COVID, I was still doing quite a few commercials. I did a lot of national commercials for a while. The hair, it was the hair.
Speaker 2: Jenny, Yeah, it's really.
Speaker 1: They hired me for the for the hair.
Speaker 2: You had good hair in the nineties, but now it's like prime real estate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the white hair is a prime real estate white hair, really real because it was such not but it was pretty white hair, you know. Yeah, that's my mother, God bless her. She had great hair. So The last thing I did was finish my last episode of The Rookie, which was over a year ago. And now what I have is a whole lot of little indie movies of me, my five grandchildren on my FaceTime.
Speaker 2: Oh that's the best movies you can have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have five beautiful grandchildren. I have one that's a real following grandma's footsteps. She's a real singer, dancer, actor out there. You know.
Speaker 2: Oh, I love that's what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: I'm playing golf, I'm taking care of grandkids to Italy Sunday.
Speaker 2: What this life you're living? I will I'm seriously it's good.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah, you know what I say to myself, Jenny, I deserve it. I did that Hollywood thing for sixty years, first New York then Hollywood, and.
Speaker 2: You survive like that's a huge accomplishment.
Speaker 1: I survived it because back in nineteen eighty four, my husband and I dunk and gamble. We moved down here to the South Bay because I couldn't stand what was going on Santa Monica and kids at school with my little boy, and whether I saw your mommy, your Mommy's on TV, and it just I just didn't want that whole showbiz thing to totally run our lives, so we got further away from it. And that's why I was able to stay in it so long. I truly believe that because I wasn't enmeshed in the middle. One of the last big things I did was go to a big party up at Spelling's house. I remember it was when it was it decades ago, I can't remember. And that was one of the last big Hollywood things I went to because it was hard. I did Mission Impossible three with Tom Cruise and I went to that big party afterwards. But I didn't do a lot of the Hollywood party scene. I was a grown up mommy two children.
Speaker 2: You know, you had your priorities in order.
Speaker 1: I had my priorities right from a long time. You know, since I got to Hollywood. I didn't want because I had already been divorced once from when I lived in New York, and I just didn't want to go down that road too much. But I'm still here.
Speaker 2: Well, you have inspired me by the way you've handled your career. Oh, thank you, and just your longevity. Yeah, and you still talk about it so positively. Oh yeah, And I really look forward to reading your book, So I want you to finish that.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you. I will. I will absolutely make sure you guys get a copy. If I get there, you'll get there. Don't say that, yeah, I'll get there.
Speaker 2: That's just there.
Speaker 1: It's just writing's hard. You know that, right. You tried, haven't you.
Speaker 2: It's very difficult. Yes, you have to really focus.
Speaker 1: Stay focused.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's tough when you got those cute little grand kids running around.
Speaker 1: Oh, and they're so adorable, and they go from age fourteen down to four so they're just precious. You have a beautiful daughter. I saw something popped up on Instagram. And I don't do any social media, Jenny. That's another thing.
Speaker 2: I still really.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm so smart, none of it. But my my daughter in law has an Instagram account, and so I go on to look at pictures of my kids and the other day, you know how it opens up there were you, There was you with your daughter.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that was just it was meant to be because then we were going to be visiting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were going to visit. So also, you make sure you give my best to Jason.
Speaker 2: Do you will do? I'm seeing him next week, so I will tell him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, tell him, I said, said.
Speaker 2: That we all send all of our love to you, and so so much gratitude for being a part of the show.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. You know that it was Luke that dubbed me Molly the Malibu Mystic.
Speaker 2: Well you should have run with that.
Speaker 1: My husband still calls me that to this Oh here comes Molly the Malibu Mystic. She's gonna tell me about my future.
Speaker 2: I love that. Well, Mollie the malibuu Mystic. Thank you so much for being on our podcast.
Speaker 1: Thank you for having me. It was really a pleasure and I loved my time on the show.
Speaker 2: Could you now go right, go right? Yes?
Speaker 1: Love you, love you, Bye bye Jay Bye