Speaker 1: But it's my favorite. Those movies are so great because the natural elements become the villain, which is so funny, like yeah, like what's the fun this fire one?
Speaker 2: Backdraft?
Speaker 1: Yeah, back Draft really completely like personify the fire like it's out to get everybody.
Speaker 2: It's so but that one had a villain who was starting the fires. Twister and Twisters I came to see find out when I went and saw Twisters are ridiculous films where it's like, I don't know, I guess it's the same as Jaws, which is my favorite movie a long time.
Speaker 1: To at least Jaws is like a sentient creature, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. With the tornadoes, they're like this tornado, this tornado is smart. They're coming back for it.
Speaker 3: Like, no, what about the Sylvester was it Volcano or like that Volcano movie?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sylvester Stallone had had a Cliffhanger, okay, uh, which in which John Litk was the bad guy. We're act to believe that he could like fight Sylvester Stallone in a climactic hand to hand combat on the side of a mountain.
Speaker 1: And there is a movie called Volcano though, and I want to see Jones hmm.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, I can find those two in my head.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, Wait is that Dante's peak?
Speaker 1: Which one's.
Speaker 2: They were both?
Speaker 4: Yes, they were both around the same time too.
Speaker 2: It's a deep impact armageddon scenario.
Speaker 1: Why don't they just get off the volcano?
Speaker 2: Well, they just leave, You've always that's always the first question. I'm assuming they had somebody stuck at the top, would be my guess. I saw neither of the Volcano movies. I was too good for them.
Speaker 4: They didn't have the large eagles from the third act. They didn't have them come into Mordor yet.
Speaker 2: Right, they're actually trying to throw a ring into the top of the volcano. The whole journey was about that. Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three, seventy one, Episode four of Dear Daily's I Guys Stay production of iHeartRadio. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into American shared consciousness. We now have the YouTube channel. Go to YouTube slash at daily Zey Guyspot. You can go see an episode a week on video. It's a blast. We look amazing. It's Thursday, January sixteenth, twenty twenty four. My name is Jack O'Brien aka Donate two Miles dinner ane name donate two Miles. That is courtesy of Steaming Chunk on the discord, and uh yeah, shout out to all the people who donated to Miles on his GoFundMe. Shout out to Maximum Derek on Blue Sky, who built a really cool lightsaber that he is auctioning off to raise funds for Miles and his family who lost their home in the fires in Los Angeles. And yeah, we'll link off to those fundraisers. I think I linked off to the wrong one and the trends yesterday. Sorry about that, Maximum Derek, but I think we linked off to the right one in the regular episodes. So yeah, and we'll also link off to other lists of displaced families in the Los Angeles area. It's a vetted list with go fund means that you can contribute to. But yeah, then, thinking of all the people who are affected, still being affected, I am thrilled to be joined in our second seat in the Miles seat by a very talented writer, stand up comedian, and co host of The Bechdel Cast, one of the great film podcasts. It's Kaitlin Durante.
Speaker 5: I don't have a song AKA, but you know me as nine tit Dracula Latin dancer Uti ss R and D Titanic Boom, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Et cetera, et cetera, one of the most tandogram moopol names in the English language.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I also like, was that be boo bee boo as you were entering or we woo? It was like it was a we wou we woo we woo. But I like, be boo, be boo bee boo boo boo. I'm entering, but yeah, entering the digital code to get into the podcast boo boo.
Speaker 5: Well, I've uploaded my consciousness to the Singularity, so it's not actually me. It's just some version of what might be my brain talking to you right now. Yeah, bee boopoo.
Speaker 2: Well, it's great to have you back, Caitlin. Thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: We are thrilled to be joined by a very funny comedian, actor, writer, an improviser who's special spiritually filthy. You ought to go check out right now. It's on YouTube as well. Please welcome the very funny Mortoo.
Speaker 1: What's up you guys?
Speaker 2: Thanks for having What's up? It's like the computer police.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when the cop when the cop cars are unmanned.
Speaker 2: That's what that's right, that's what they're going to sound like the Robustops company. Way Wamo, way Mo. Yeah yeah yeah, way Mo. Trouble than it's worth, if you ask me, that's what boo and that is. That's the new rim shot.
Speaker 6: When you're making fun of robots, that's the that's the right how it would be like but like, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know the way mos like takes a long time to get there and only does a certain area. And it's a robot. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I saw one the other day, like making a left in front of me, and it totally felt like a ghost was driving a car like my robot brain, my robot brain. I was gonna say, but like lizard brain.
Speaker 2: But I think it's a robot.
Speaker 1: No, I can experience. I have empathy.
Speaker 2: What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: It is the new cow for me, the way Moo in the sense that I am incapable of driving past one and not pointing it out to whoever's in the car with me. Yeah, like, guys, guys, stop shut up. There's there's a waybow car.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: There's another one.
Speaker 1: That's like what was that thing?
Speaker 5: When we were kids, you'd like see a certain type of car and then you'd like slap the roof of your the car you were in when you were driving by, or you go like, does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 7: Ye?
Speaker 5: And then there was like a Woodies Whacker.
Speaker 2: Or something, a Woody whacker like that.
Speaker 5: Do you remember the station wagon?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, if you saw one of those, you'd go Woody Whacker and then you'd like hit who your sister that was right there?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah? I I only got the punch Buggy and only found out about it after the fact, two relatively peaceful sisters who did not beat the ship out of me, and so I just found out about it, like on a field trip, and you know, had to we did.
Speaker 1: We did Woody Whacker, but it was only when we saw Woody Harrelson. Anyway, you grew up in in the industry, Yeah, I watched a lot of tears, you know. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, Mark, Caitlin, it's wonderful having you both. We are going to get to know you mort a little bit better by asking you some overrated, underrated search history stuff. But before we do that, we do like to tell our listeners. A couple of things we'll be talking about later on in the episode. In the news section, we're going to talk about this New Yorker article on ultra processed foods. I've been hearing for many years. It's actually not the like nutritional content of the food. It's like how processed it is or like how it's made that actually is determinative if it's going to like kill you. And the New Yorker did kind of like an interesting nuanced look at that and like what the really bad processed foods actually are. Turns out processed meats are not good. And then we have like a little tag onto that onto the processed meats aren't very good aspect of it. Because there's the ap just Foyd, a USDA Inspectrum report at Bareshead Factories, and it is wild in there. It is fucking no boy, No, is it like that what's that book The Jungle? Yeah, it's really bad alesque in there.
Speaker 1: They're like it's mostly human fingers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just a all hamm is just human fingers and teeth and face meat. And then we'll either talk about the plethora of just unhinged Jesus movies that are coming our way in the next year or two, or we'll talk about the Village People playing at Trump's inauguration, which ew, yeah, they're gonna. They really took that y mc A thing from being a gay anthem to being now like they're they're like full fully on board, although they claim like at first they were like, I'm not We're not gonna play in this inauguration or anything. We're just gonna let him play our song and make it more popular. And now they're like, we are, we are in fact going to play his inauguration along with Carrie Underwood.
Speaker 5: Oh oh, I know, are they going to change the lyrics to M A g A.
Speaker 2: That's kind of fun, I mean hate, but that's that's a good idea.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm kind of their band managers.
Speaker 2: Nobody has like been more easily psychoanalyzed in like public than the lead singer of The Village People, Victor Willis, who is the most avowedly straight per like, just keeps reiterating how straight he is and how what nobody would ever anybody who calls it a gay anthem. He's not just saying I'm going to sue them to double down on the fact that he's not gay. He his threat is that his wife is going to sue them anybody who calls MC a gay anthem heterosexual lawyer?
Speaker 5: What are sexually married?
Speaker 2: So we'll probably end up talking about that one all that plenty more. But first more, we do like to ask our guest, what is something from your search.
Speaker 1: His you know, well, speaking of people that like cars, I we as we know, I grew up skateboarding on the skateboard liaison to this podcast, so it's usually all skateboard stuff. But I all when I hit forty, there was this midlife crisis thing where I got super into cars. So right now I'm just obsessed with owning a like four thousand dollars mas to Miata. Yeah that's like what I've been looking at primarily on my sae. Yeah yeah, what like just a really cheap, reliable.
Speaker 2: Little tiny, tiny, tiny little boy.
Speaker 1: Car with that's a convertible. That's my that's my dream right now.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the little Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're like indestructible, they don't win anything. They're very dangerous to drive because no one can see them.
Speaker 2: But no one can see them and like they might accidentally squash them like you would a bug, yeah, because they're so much smaller than the increasingly giant fucking pickup trucks that prow the streets of New York City. Ram God, yeah, Rams. And then they're like, you know what, Rams aren't fucking masculine enough. We need a raptor. Now there's like fucking trucks called Raptors that are all over the place. And they're like, I don't know, I know a lot of people who I like who are like, man, I would love to get a Raptor. Oh, the Ford Raptor, the Ford Raptor. Yeah. They're like, fuck you Dodge and your your weak ass ram, you know it, get it ass kicked by a Ram.
Speaker 1: I'm waiting for, like the Chevy Football or like the like yeah, yeah, the Ford Divorce, the Ford solverback Gorilla.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's the Ford Divorce.
Speaker 1: What uh?
Speaker 2: How's the car hunt going?
Speaker 1: It's all right where, you know, I don't know. Whatever I'm looking on Facebook Marketplace usually had like offer up. So it's gonna be a fun little adventure when I go to whoever whatever random home in like East Los Angeles is gonna sell me one of these things?
Speaker 2: Is this your first experience with a wheeled vehicle besides the skateboard. Are you gonna have to like someone's gonna have to show you that, Like you sit inside this one and there's like a an engine that moves it around instead of you with your leg.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ute, try and push it like a flintstonesmobile or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, man, so so much to learn. But similarly, you probably could just like use your weight to like get it to do an ali because it's so small.
Speaker 1: I never even thought of that. I should. I can kick flip this tiny car, flip.
Speaker 2: The tiny car, the Miata, step on the rear fender and it like pops up catches in front of it in your hand. What more? Is something you think is underrated?
Speaker 1: Underrated? Right now too, I'm gonna give you two. First of all, altruism in general kindness to others, which is what I'm seeing a ton of in Los Angeles, which is so great. It was one the other day somebody, did they turn a boutique into a free boutique? Did you that? So it just looks like a normal like boutiqui store that they're giving the clothes away for free. They're limiting like ten items per person or whatever.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: That is just and I'm seeing stuff like people are being like, we don't don't this isn't gospel anymore. But like two days ago, it's like we don't need any more donations and we don't need any more volunteers. That's how much people are coming out for this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just want to like let that. I mean, I know people are aware of it, but I'm just seeing it everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then it's gonna I do just want to say on the like I think there's going where when we're going to need is like a week from now. Like with with the volunteers and the donations, you know, it's like once it's no longer on the front page. But yeah, it has been really cool to see people like all come together on this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's all super Yeah, it's all super grassroots and all through primarily like Instagram and all that, you know, So it's like a really cool connective thread running through everything, which has been very heartening out here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's really cool. And yeah, what's overrated?
Speaker 1: Well, I want to do with my second underrated, which is there was a period when Snack they were making treats that were like oversized that were like, first they started with the Hershey's Kiss that was giant, remember that, Yeah, And then it seemed for a while they made the Taco Bell did a collab with cheese It where they made a giant cheese it mm hmm. And I always had the idea for it was always I called it one big cheese it, and I wanted to be I wanted to be a cheese at the size of the box, you know. So I just thought that was a really powerful movement in the snack world. And I want to see, like I want to see one big, one big ruffle uh you know, regular Lays, potato chip, whatever, Just one giant you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I want giant one. I want one big.
Speaker 1: Thing of I want one giant grain of rice. You know. I want every interesting item of food to be made like that is small to me, be made one and huge.
Speaker 2: They kind of have that in like Korean food has these rice noodle like rice cake thing is that I'm drawing a blank on the name of. But they are almost like a big they have the consistency. They're a little more chewy than that, but like that does feel like you're cutting into a giant grain of rice a little bit.
Speaker 1: It's just so fun it is.
Speaker 2: I love the idea of a giant So do you feel like Taco Bell rip you off a little bit?
Speaker 1: I honestly feel like yeah. And I was talking about it a lot too much. People were asking me to stop talking about it.
Speaker 2: I had a similar thing in the early aughts when I was a young person. I was adamant that Eminem's needed to make a pretzel. Eminem's like that, like they needed. I loved chocolate covered pretzels. My main problem with chocolate cover pretzels too much surface area. They melted make a pretzel Eminem And they eventually did, didn't give me any money, and they also did a bad job of it. The preslam.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a problem.
Speaker 2: They're just I don't know, like that. It's easy to get a bad pretzel, you know, like pretzels can have like bad it's are they're not you know, idiot proof, like you could you can have a bad pretzel. I feel like these are bad pretzels. And also the pretzels are too small. I think it needed to be mini pretzels covered in chocolate covered in eminem coating is what would have made it really sing. But they weren't ready for that.
Speaker 1: You're like me, are a snack snack moster damis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, less visionaries. It is tough.
Speaker 5: Well, I remember a few easter seasons ago, and they probably still do this. I feel like during holidays like Christmas in Easter, they'll have like huge versions of like a TwixT or a reces or like a Hershey kiss like you said, And a few years ago, I got my hands on a very large egg shaped twix bar. Twixts are my favorite candy bar. Who but the problem was the distribution of ingredients with way off, Like there's way too much caramel and like not enough cookie parts. So like the thing about enlarged snacks, I'm for it. A few pitches even like a bowling ball sized. What are those like ferrerowling shares or whatever in the.
Speaker 1: Gold or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, can you imagine you need to really nail the ratio on that one.
Speaker 5: The ratio is very important, and I feel like they usually get it wrong. So yeah, it's it's very it's very delicate.
Speaker 1: Yea, No, that's I mean that they need us on the I'm perfectly prepared to start designing these candies for people. Yeah, I'll give up everything to do that marriage, everything, even your master miata.
Speaker 2: You keep offering to give up your marriage times. We're doing great.
Speaker 1: I'm like the Y M c A guy.
Speaker 2: We're doing so good. We're doing so good, We're so straight and in love. Yeah, it's uh, do you so? I like the big cheese at that's the size of the box. The ruffle that's the side. Like that one's interesting. I think you would have to like create a new packaging for it, But I do think it needs to happen. Like I'm convinced me too.
Speaker 1: I think even like the first of all, the sales are going to be astronomical. I think that just like untold billions, because it's gonna take a lot of money to design these, Like yeah, I know that they literally spend millions of dollars perfecting like the ruffles, chip and stuff. That's why they're so addictive. Yeah, and yeah, it's gonna be at least that amount of money to make it six times as large, and then yeah, the packaging. It's a whole thing, but it's gonna pay off.
Speaker 2: It is. I fully believe that we are gonna be talking about how much how much all of the best, like scientific minds of the past three to four generations have just gone into like making food addictive. Like that's what they've done the problem they've tried to solve. But we'll get to that in a moment. What is something? Do you have anything he thinks overrated or just too underrated?
Speaker 1: Well, this is cool because this is movie related. So I'm glad to click Caitlyn's here because I want to know what she thinks about this. I think very recently I've decided Harmony Karen is overrated. And here's why. He's been like paling around Miami with Jared and Ivanka, like him and his wife, they're going to like Zionist fundraising stuff all this, like like hanging out with basically the worst people in Miami. And he started a skateboard company called called edge Lord, which he is an edge lord and unfortunately they have like interesting skateboarders on there. But it made me rethink all of his movies where I was like, if you've seen Gumo he wrote kids, He's like this kind of like he's this art house tour guy.
Speaker 2: Bring Breakers was that the name of that movie?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Breakers? He directed the other one of his I've as a Beach Bomb and between spring Breakers and Beach Bomb two of my least favorite movies of all time. So I'm fully in agreement with you mort about him being overrated. I think he sucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there's like have you did you see Gummo? No, I didn't see that one. Yes, you see his early stuff he has he actually there are aspects of his filmmaking which are kind of masterful, Like in some ways he's able to make some stuff really beautiful, but all that stuff is like this very shocky, like it'll be like this really strange looking sort of boy in a bathtub, like eating spaghetti. It's this very But now I look at it and I'm like, wait, do you just hate poor people? Like is this like all of this just supposed to be like this is this spectacle with no heart or capacity for caring, Like it's a very I don't know. I already was like really on the fence, and now I'm like, oh, he might be just like have been evil the whole time, but he is really funny on Letterman. That's the only thing about him.
Speaker 2: I need to go back and look at it. Lenmin Interviews because otherwise not not a fan based on what I've heard so far and the kids the script I feel like is not the thing. It's not is not what's cool about kids?
Speaker 5: I barely remember that movie. Yeah, so I'm seeing that Harmony Krinn has a child named Lefty.
Speaker 2: Bell Lefty Bell m.
Speaker 1: That's probably like a reference to like a silent film star or something. I imagine, just the way that he rolls. I don't know.
Speaker 2: His skateboard company, edge Lord is pretty on the nose, but I guess nothing he does is not on the nose, right, it's pretty Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's just a whole weird thing. I don't like it. Yeah, man, I don't. I don't like this. I don't like when right wing stuff happens in skateboarding makes me feel very icky.
Speaker 2: Feels yeah, what is the what's the scene? And we got more our man on the street for skateboarding? Here, our skater on the skateboard beat? What's the vibe? Like? I mean, we've seen at least Nate Silver is telling me there's been a vibe shift everywhere across social media and a lot of different subcultures towards the right. Is that happening in skateboarding? It feels like kind of anathema for sure.
Speaker 1: What's up, Jack, I'm here talking to a lot of teens out here on the skatebeat, and these teenage boys and gals there. Look, skateboarding can be. It's it's like a guitar or something. It can be used in any capacity you want it to be. The really cool thing is that there's been a huge growth on the opposite end of this, which is like there's like a lot of LGBTQ plus skateboard, a lot of queer skateboarders at least two queer owned skateboard companies, and a lot more like women and non binary people in skateboarding who are making it way better. Like it's they're doing this really interesting. It's a bunch of them like rip, like they're really really good, and then some of them are doing this thing where they're like, we don't care if we're good, and that's really important because skateboarding, you know, it's been fourteen year old boys for most of its most of it's right, So there's this there's this kind of a little bit toxic rule, you know, thing that happens there. So aspects of skateboard he had actually have actually shifted way towards the left, which is so necessary. And then there's these small sections of people who like say that, who's the there's this dude, damn it, I can't remember. Well, it's actually good that I can't remember his name. This like right wing podcaster guy who is like a terrible pop punk band and also claims to be a skateboarder. He does skateboard, but luckily he has awful style. Pregetting his name, but he was fully was He's the guy who was being funded by Russia. Like there was an ext mo day where all that he's one of the main dudes, and you're like, yeah, of course he was.
Speaker 2: That's wild. Yeah, it really is just fucking Russian money and billionaire libertarians all the way down. That's the's all you need to do is be like, yeah, fuck it, I'm right wing and there's suddenly a money truck at your house.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And especially this idea that like I'm cool, I'm hit, brother, it's such lack of I'm not a dude, you know, yeah.
Speaker 2: Exactly, And it's like working in some places, a lot of these fucking influencers are just like yeah, it's actually what's cool is thinking this republican president is cool and edgy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, shit, all right, let's uh, let's take a quick break. We'll come back. We'll talk about ultra processed foods. We'll be right back. And we're back. And so there's a New Yorker article about nutrition. I generally feel like nutrition is fake. The heart one, I think it's fake. I don't think food is real. I think they actually just come and inject us with the nutrient we need in the middle of the night, and then the food is all made of wax. It's when you're a robot.
Speaker 5: You don't even need it.
Speaker 1: None of us are robots here.
Speaker 2: Robot, please show up, give you, charge you up. My food is the plug in the wall. It's just so, it's like gun statistics and shit like that, where there's just like these massive both multi billion dollar interests who have vast networks designed to make it impossible to learn the real information from inside America about like nutrition or how bad guns are, et cetera. But so we we like get our information like largely just through like word of mouth and Yahoo articles that can't make their fucking mind up about whether chocolate and wine or good for you. Like that, Basically all it's just like back and forth on that one issue about like how red wine actually good for you. They they generally the mainstream consensus is like you just got to eat enough of these foods. They'll never tell you to eat like less of anything because that is anti capitalist. So the latest kind of trend in the world of nutrition is focusing on ultra processed foods and it became kind of this popular villain where the idea is that something about the way the ingredients are broken down makes them like harder to stop consuming. And it's like the food is like already broken down. There's all sorts of chemicals that are in there that make them absorb into your body differently. They've done all sorts of tests where like when people eat certain things like their blood glucose level like shoots through the through the roof, and like also of like things happen to your body that shouldn't be happening that make your body basically crave more food. It's creating a thing where by eating food, you want to eat more food.
Speaker 5: Is that why I'm always hungry?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Like so that's the thing. It's like they in reading about this and there's like a lot of writing on those people people talk about like get as you cut these out of your diet, you become less hungry as you're eating less food because you're not like getting these weird signals to your body. But it's like it's more nuanced than that, so that the article is basically like it's not it's not the ultra processed aspect of it, Like you can't actually focus it on that. It's like more nuanced than that. It's hyper palatable ultra processed food. And also like super calorie dense ultra process food. So when they're like using the pro to just like jam pack a bunch as many like calories as possible into the food our body. Like even I had kind of always I read this book Salt, Sugar Fat a long time ago. That's about the way the food industry basically took that. Like a lot of the top scientists were working for the tobacco industry because that's where the money was, like in the fifties and sixties, and then they were like, well, shit, this is this isn't good. We're all going to get sued badly, and so they started like buying like R. J. Reynolds bought Nabisco, and a lot of that same science started going into like how do we make food the thing that's addictive, because like addiction is the best thing for like a capitalist enterprise, like the person just can't stop consuming. And so that book I came away from being like the issue is just they made the food taste too good, Like they there's these they really yeah, like and you read like the scientist. There's like people who are like considered geniuses within their field for like inventing this thing called like mouthfeel, and they're like the mouthfeel and we got the perfect mouthfeel on the like nacho cheese dorito, and like it's a thing that like never your mouth never stops getting tired of eating, and like it's just impossible to like stop. And so the thing that this adds to it is like when they're using the ultra processing, even if it like doesn't taste incredibly good what they call in this study like ultra palatable, it's still people like if it's super calorie dense, there's something in our body that is like really like gets a charge out of eating like a calorie dense not hyper palatable, but like ultra processed food. And they found that like when they give that stuff, even if it like doesn't taste incredible, when they give a diet that is ultraprocessed and really calorie dents to people, like they eat eight hundred more calories than they otherwise would if it's ultra palatable, like the dorido oreo, like the ones that have gone through that process, they eat a thousand more calories. But they did find that, like when they served people ultra processed foods that were neither calorie dense or hyper palatable, like the example they give is like liquid eggs, flavored yogurt and oatmeal, turkey bacon, and brito bowls with beans, people ate essentially as much as they did on the minimally processed diet. So it's not like the processing that is the problem. And like that one of the points to like one of the nutritionists who is like thinks the ultra processed thing is like bullshit. Makes is like in their world of like ultra processed food being the bad guy, Like they have canned kidney beings in the same category as like gummy bears. You know, it's just all they all have like chemicals, and so they're all bad and it's like, no, if the food is just ultra processed and is not super hyper charged with like tons of calories like that, you'll be able to like eat a normal amount. It's just speak for you.
Speaker 1: I just like a full whole of kidney beans.
Speaker 2: Right, can of kidney beans over hair, and.
Speaker 1: Then's just some liquid eggs, you know.
Speaker 2: Liquid eggs. Take a shot of liquid. They really made that one.
Speaker 1: So two word phrase I've ever heard of my life.
Speaker 2: I know, but yeah, I don't know like it is. It's not so if it's not the ultra processing, that is like good news because like that that food is much less expensive. So it's like, you know, you just have to I don't know, like they don't have a great solution for this, but they do seem to suggest that like the two types of ultra processed foods that do shortened people's lives are sugary drinks and sodas and processed meats. And then when you actually look at like hyperprocessed breads, cold cereals, dairy products such as slavery yogurts and savory snacks, it actually makes it's actually not bad for you. It might be like makes me live longer, it makes you live longer. You can back to my goldfish crackers makes me hotter? Okay, well yeah naked, it's my stomach taut gat Yeah. But the problem, right, the problem.
Speaker 1: Is that the processing. The problem is the food design. The problem was like, is this created by a man like with a beakers and a lab coat feeding stuff into a computer?
Speaker 2: Yeah, food with like yeah, with like a chart of like your hunger spiking, like you know, yeah, wow, we've noticed that on the eighth chip that's when the hunger and the craving for more actually spikes to its highest levels. That is like literally the type of shit that they do. So I think it's just I don't know, like we might just need to go product by product, But like I do feel like, as I was like reading this and thinking through it, I feel like it's just a matter of like kind of thinking about how the foods that I eat actually feel and like taste to me, And like there are certain certain cereals that like they raise the idea of like shredded wheat being a cereal that is not even an ultra processed food even though it comes in a box. It's like two ingredients. It's fine, but shredded wheats fucking sucks. It's so nasty it sucks. It's like shouldn't even be considered at least the name is awful. That's like it's like fucking cold paper, like it's the wor and that's what it tastes like. It tastes like you poured milk on packaging material. But then like, have you guys ever had raisin brand crunch? Yeah, that shit, like raisin brand crunch is drugs. Like that shit is for me so much better than regular raisin. Stop eating.
Speaker 1: I hate it.
Speaker 5: I hate raisins and I hate brand, but throw a crunch in there. I'm smiling.
Speaker 2: I think like every single like flake is coated in like three layers of like crystallized sugar, so like never never gets soggy and is just the sweetest thing that I've ever like tasted in my life.
Speaker 1: But I'd be interested to find out why evolutionarily we're so into that sweet delicious crunch because I'm like, and same with chips. I can't stop eating insane amount of chips. Yeah, mouth feel right.
Speaker 2: I think it's they've hijacked our like evolutionary processes to ye in such a way that like, yeah, we we just like can't not doing it, and that's that's the point of it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you're talking about addiction. You know. I'm yes, I'm sober because I'm a hero, the greatest hero. But but it's you, don't you know, You're totally right about addiction and capitalism, you know. And the wild thing about it is you don't really feel the effects of addiction until you stop. Like, the problem is not when you're actively using. The problem is how do you live when you're no longer using the raisin brand crunch like opioids. I think, Yeah, it's so we're all like, we're all gonna at some point, we're gonna like it's the phones, it's the computer, it's the food. All of this stuff is designed to be addicted.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think so, like we can't live without food. So they're like they're capitalizing on our very basic, you know, very basic necessities of life, and they're like, how do we make this even because I mean, let's be honest, eating is one of the few enjoyable things about life. Everything else about it sucks, but eating like the joy in euphoria I feel during every meal. I'm like, we I love life. Right now while I'm eating people, I'm having a great time. But like it's just it's really a sinister that they're like, how can we inject a bunch of stuff that? Yeah, from like an evolutionary point of view, it's like, you know, sugar entering our bodies probably like some there's some signal where it's like, oh my god, like this is important or this is like you'll be able to store this as energy, or this will be used as energy that you know that you need to go do something else. But we're but we're so like sedentary.
Speaker 2: Our bodies are like machines that are like designed like one of the primary functions is like not starving. Like that that was all like at the time that we our bodies were being designed by natural selection, the main thing that they were concerned with is not starting. So we have like these fucking alarms and like all these like bells and whistles built into our circuitry. That's just like yes, oh really that more of that, yes Jesus, yeah, yeah, don't stop.
Speaker 1: And this is the same thing about like a need for social validation, right, it's like please don't kick me out of the cave, you know, So this. So if you like my post, it's the exact same thing of like, oh my god, I feel safe, you know, And Okay, so I'm gonna say something kind of harrowing right now, which is that, like I'm ready. The thing about being addicted to stuff is it does seem like the entire world is a nightmare except for doing the thing that you're addicted to. So like, so I think there's so much of the stuff that is designed to get us high in some sort of capacity, and that like true joy doesn't come from a high. It's like a much different experience. It's about something about like settling into reality and appreciating the president and all this stuff. But yeah, it becomes super hard when you have you're like fed all this hyper addicted stuff all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my experience with addiction was a lot of like almost having a separate person or like you know, entity in my body that was like acting behind the scenes of my consciousness, like at a sub a venom who was like making decisions in such a way that like it would make me want my you know, the thing I was addicted to, and like it would make me not want other things that like everything else would seem like it sucked.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, And it talks to you in your own voice. So for me, it tricks me into thinking that I want this thing. But it's like I don't necessarily want eleven beers on a Tuesday, but that I do because my voices.
Speaker 5: People drink eleven beers on Tuesdays. The voice, Yeah, yeah, we got taco Tuesday. We got eleven beers Tuesday. A lot of people drink a couple before work, most people, most people, most people are Actually that is a thing that I remember from being an addiction, and like talking to other fellow addicts at the time, we were always.
Speaker 2: Certain everybody was also like like, oh, that guy's that guy's so high right now, Look how high that guy is. It's like, no, man, he's probably just leaped a pride. He probably was like a kid at home, you weirdo. But anyways, I was always certain that everybody was just as high as I was. Yeah, I think I think they're like, it's a might be a bad way to organize your society, this this capitalism after all, because it's uh, yeah, it just it seems like one of the kind of mind bend the ideas they talked about, And the thing is like people having to retrain their taste buds and their hunger because you're in this like boombust like meth equivalent of food consumption that engineers like high highs and low lows, and you stop being able to taste like non ultra processed foods as much until you like get yourself off of them for a while, Like.
Speaker 5: I have you do this every few months, like I will. I'll be on a stint where I'm like, oh, I'm eating so many like vegetables and fruits and you know, like whatever lean proteins and like stuff that's good for your body. And then winter rolls around and I'm like, well, I need to eat three pizzas, okay, Like I just can't, Like I keep I can't train my body to like get all the way there. I keep returning to like the bad processed addictive stuff.
Speaker 1: Well it is I had to quit most Like I don't eat much sugar. Well, I don't eat sweets, right, Like I don't eat because I and not because I'm a saint. Because I again transferred the addiction to Snickers bars. So I was eating like a bag of gummy bears and Ben and Jerry's and all this shit.
Speaker 2: So like, so two.
Speaker 1: Crazy things happen when I stopped that, which is that my depression went from being like a week at a time to like an hour, right, Yeah, And that was also based on how much I was using it, you know, but now for sure, like I had a grape the other day that straight up tasted like skittles or something, because because my body's not used to that insane level of sugar anymore, it's pretty great.
Speaker 2: And also because they're genetically engineering skittles grapes.
Speaker 1: Yeah what I said grape, I meant the handful of skittles, a great flavored skittles.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I don't know. It's uh, the one the one process ultra processed food that it feels like there is broad consensus about is ultra processed meats, which have never seemed like at a just at a young age, I was I was eating so much cold cuts that was like a huge chunk of my family's diet, Like it was just and I remember having the thought, what the fuck is this like going to the grocery store, having you know, my parent order a pound of sliced ham and watching them take the giant ham shaped like globule and like put it on the slicer. Yeah yeah, like and put it on the slicer, and just being like that, what we like, what could it even be?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 2: I you know, like in my head, I was like eating sliced turkey, like off of a turkey, and then you go to the store and it's not that. And so recently there was a listeria outbreak at a boresheat factory and people started wondering, Hey, what we've all trusted for like a handful of decades. Now that Boar's Head is like high quality, pure shit, like really good stuff, Let's let's start taking a look inside head factories and it's wild like that. So they just the ap just published like some of the foyage reports and like one of these USDA inspectors I'm just gonna quote from. I'll just do my personal favorite, Like there's stuff about like ham mold storage rooms and uh residual ham material. This was written up in the Defector, which is a great, great website, Like thank god there's still good websites out there. But while observing designated floor trash personnel clean around the department, I noticed him used a stainless steel hook to pick up a small piece of meat approximately the size of a baseball, from underneath the bench where meat was being pulled onto the line. So the line being the thing that was meat meat goes into the inbox and comes out as the meat ham globule thing that is in Yes, the meat conveyor, but this was this is my favorite one from a report filed September sixteenth, twenty twenty, from the USDA inspector who I don't think this was like an undercover inspection. I think like they just like went in there. They're like, guys, the inspector's here today, be sure to pull the ham baseballs with the with the ham hooks onto the line to make sure it all looks good.
Speaker 1: But like this was has anybody clean the ham hook.
Speaker 2: In any four years? It's looking kind of it looks like it's got about a little bit of residual ham material.
Speaker 1: That was the name of my hardcore band.
Speaker 2: It's a great name. It's like that has become U the That was the headline of the Defector article on people in the comments are just non stop talking about residual hamd material. But from September sixteenth, twenty twenty, I observed for Deluxe Ham Large babies, Deluxe Ham Large babies all capitalized on the convey those things, those Ham globule things are called Deluxe Ham Ham Large baby babies because they're the size of a baby, I guess, and pink like a baby.
Speaker 7: I observed for Deluxe Ham large babies on the conveyor belt. Natural that you do around a baby exactly, pass through the convey metal detector, set it off, and then bypass the reject arm.
Speaker 2: Upon further investigation, these Hams failed to slide onto the disposition cart adjacent to the reject arm because the cart was already overflowing with approximately eight other hands.
Speaker 5: Eight other Ham large babies.
Speaker 2: Just giant giant Ham babies, like plogging up the works from just and nobody entering, Nobody, like emptying the rejected hambaby be a cart.
Speaker 5: That's my hardcore band name baby.
Speaker 2: Hamdbaby, rejected Hamdbaby.
Speaker 1: Carted Ham Baby.
Speaker 6: Jesus, we got a.
Speaker 1: Hand baby loose under the bench. Somebody gets.
Speaker 5: I feel sick.
Speaker 2: It's so wid it's the.
Speaker 1: Most this is. It's worse than any dystopian movie, like I'm thinking about, like in the matrix the worst possible thing when they show actual life where everybody's like in the pods and they're all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, clean and sanitary. Yeah, everybody was separated. Everybody was separated. It looked like a soft landing. You know, everybody was just chilling.
Speaker 5: We're like in a snow piercer. When sorry, this is like a kind of a spoiler, so I had a few seconds.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But the bug thing where they find out that the the like bars of like, yeah, you know, jelly that they eat is just ground up bugs. That seems more appealing than a fact full of like ham babies bouncing around.
Speaker 2: This is making me be like, we made a huge mistake all those years ago when we stopped eating bugs. I've talked about recently the theory that the reason we like crunchy snacks, like the reason that's coded into us is because we at that time when we were like our brain was being wired to not starve to death. The thing like a big part of our diet was bugs, and like that's where we got most of our protein from bugs.
Speaker 1: I like ruffles because they remind me of an.
Speaker 2: Because eating crickets. Yeah, and like, the one of the reasons that this is a theory just besides, like raw Stoner energy, raw Stoner thought it.
Speaker 1: That's my peer reviewed.
Speaker 2: But is because people crave crunchy stuff when they are cret when they need protein, and so it's like that, it would make sense that like the crunchy protein that our system is wired to crave is is the crickets, and that's probably where we're headed eventually back.
Speaker 5: So they need to take this ham and make it crunchy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we'll eat that. You ever have a piece of piece of cold cut with like something hard in it? It's not the really put me off cold cuts for literal hours that.
Speaker 1: Literal moments.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: Process to legally adopt a ham baby, yeah.
Speaker 2: It's not as easy as you'd think, not as easy it should be. A lot of people out there, all right, let's uh, let's take a quick break. God, that took a long time. I'm sorry, just have spent so much of the show, so much of your day talking about ham babies.
Speaker 1: Can't rusted because it was there's so much to laugh about.
Speaker 2: What a horror Jesus Christ. All right, we'll be right back, and we're back. We got time for one more because we spent so much time talking hand babies, the original hand baby baby. Jesus just came and went from our you know, our national religion according to Mega, but yeah, it's uh, Jesus is a pretty big figure, pretty pretty well known in these United States, and kind of light on the Jesus movies. Like there's obviously a lot of Jesus movies.
Speaker 5: That are like on like that.
Speaker 2: They're just a different like tier of movie, you know. They're like, they don't have Campbell, who you've ever heard of in them other than Kurt Cameron and maybe his sister from Full House whose name I can't remember, Candace Cameron, but there. So the other day, the first trailer dropped for a new animated film called King of Kings, which tells the story of how time traveling Charles Dickens takes his son to the past to hang out with Jesus. What, Caitlin, you teach a screenwriting course? Yes, what do we think that a student comes in with that pitch and he's just like, yep, let me see where you're going with this screenlight.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'd be curious. But time traveling Charles Dickens.
Speaker 2: The true storytelling, it would appear he's like, boy, I'm gonna tell you the and he does speak like this, no British accent at all. I'm gonna tell you about the best story ever. So Charles Dickens, famous storyteller, We're just gonna have him say best story ever, the Story of Jesus. And it looks like a Christian Pixar movie. But they seem to be including the crucifixion in the in the movie for children, So.
Speaker 1: I'm just picturing one of the veggie tails being nailed to across.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it like kind of has veggie tails nailed to across energy. It's unclear whether Charles Dickens intervenes to try to stop the crucifixion, thus creating an alternate timeline. I'll got back to the future too, but interesting, we'll see. Okay, it has so all right, all of this not out of the ordinary in the sense that there are plenty of pieces of Christian entertainment that are released every year. Where it gets weird is that this is the cast. The voice of Jesus will be played by Oscar Isaac Mark Hamill, Kenneth Branna, A Thermon, Forrest Whittaker, and a bunch of other like actors whose names you've heard before are also going to be in this movie.
Speaker 5: So this is like a mainstream Hollywood productions.
Speaker 2: But then it's all it's being distributed by Angel Studios, which who are the Sound of Freedom people, the people who like made that movie that was like about white TikTok Karen version of human trafficking where it's like, oh, the human traffickers are everywhere. It takes a real man to go and to go and steal our kids back and yeah, yeah, and then that guy turned out to be like that it was based on the true story of this guy's life. Who that guy's true story turned out to be completely full of shit. But it's uh, yeah, it's it's kind of I don't know. We we talked years ago about this idea of like are we headed toward like a repeat of the eighties where like all mainstream culture just like went right wing like everything, you know, like in the Reagan eighties. It was just like everyone was like, yeah, I guess this is what we are, were uppies and we're all right wing and like John Hughes and action movies with Arnold Schwarzenegger and Sylvester Stallone. He's gonna beat up Russia in this one, and Russia is gonna be like, thank you, we like you, we wish we were America, and then that will be my favorite movie from age four through like ten. But you know, are we headed in that direction? It it feels like there's definitely a mainstreaming of kind of right wing shit happening. We talked on trending yesterday about how Carrie Underwood is singing at the inauguration, Like the Trump's first inauguration, they like had to had to bring in like some real, real deep, go real deep on the bench for singers to perform. And now they have like Carrie Underwood and the Village People, which we talked about, you know, their fascinating story. But I don't know. There's also just a bunch of Jesus movies coming. There are two other animated future films about Jesus coming out this year. I don't think either of them feature Charles Dickens. Weird choice on their part. Yeah, and then Tree of Life director Terrence Malick is going to be releasing his long gestating The Way of the Wind, which, okay, it's like a more grounded take on Jesus' story, but it sounds It almost sounds like it would be like an offensive story about a Native American, you know, the Way of the Wind.
Speaker 1: I love Terrence Malick, Actually I doo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a great filmmaker. So it's kind of interesting that like this is this just seems to be People are also suggesting that this might be part of the trend of movies with you know, public domain protagonists. Like you know, they made that Winnie the Pooh slasher movie. Maybe people are just like, and what if we just you know, start taking the original public domain? Guy, my man, JCM. There's there's also a Martin Scorsese unconventional Jesus movie that's supposed to be coming out. Uh, And of course mel Gibson sequel. What's that didn't didn't scurse?
Speaker 5: What's it called?
Speaker 1: Last of Christ?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he did his movie. He did his unconventional with.
Speaker 5: Willem Dafoe as Jesus.
Speaker 1: Which an amazing that's an amazing move. And also the craziest thing about Willem Dafoe is he watched interviews with him. Have you guys seen these and he's just like the sweetest theater nerd in the world. Oh yeah, Yeah, it's a gentle he's he's more like Jesus. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Else, Yeah, Jesus, the original gentle theater nerd he isn't. And then Mel Gibson, of course, is making his sequel to the Passion of the Christ. Supposedly he talked about it on the Joe Rogan podcast. I don't know if you guys saw clips of Mel Gibson on the Joe Rogan podcast, but he appeared to be flying on something.
Speaker 5: Or other, like well processed food.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he had half of him sandwich and his blood through the roof, right, But yeah, it's uh, his his sequel to Passion of the Christ, which I thought had like, you know, a good ending.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't think we needed a sequel Patch of the Christ where that movie, by the way, was like a massive blockbuster. That's one of those news stories that, like, looking back, just seems so strange that that was a huge blockbuster.
Speaker 5: I still have never seen it.
Speaker 2: It's not worth seeing. Yeah, it's it is what you expect. It is punishing. You're just watching somebody get the shit beat out of them for an hour and a half straight like that. Yeah, but yeah, his plan is a sequel to that movie that was just like kind of a long, slow plotting snuff film. This one will feel like an acid trip and tell Satan's origin story. Also, Jim Cavizl will play Jesus again, possibly with the help of deaging technology, since it's been twenty years since they made that movie, but only three days are supposed to have passed. That's kind of Jesus' whole thing, So it'd be weird if he was just like weathered.
Speaker 5: But I mean, well, it didn't work, but it happened in the Hobbit movies, where these like characters who are supposed to be immortal, like elves and wizards and stuff like that. They're like, they look visibly ten years older. But it's supposed to be a prequel.
Speaker 2: To the Hell of a Week. Guys, the celebrated really hard. These Hobbits need a nap. Yeah, yeah, Oh, it's supposed to be a prequel.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, but they look ten years older.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 2: I guess there's a movie a TV series called The Chosen, which I was not familiar with, but that's making waves and people think that's why it's wild. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like Hollywood thinks, you know, they feel like they're leaving a bunch of money on the table by not producing this stuff. Like they saw how well that blockbuster about human trafficking did and they're like, yeah, let's get it there. And that's the aspect of the entertainment industry, right, Yeah, let's make this hot. Jesus, which of you he has perfect like perfect.
Speaker 2: Hair, great, shredded abs looking good?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: How do we make the story of Jesus addictive something that people can't can't put away? We'll serialize it and turned it into a streaming series with cliffhangers. Mm hm. Anyways, mort Pleasure as always having you on to check in from the skateboarding scene and just check them with the zeitgeist. Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff?
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for having me, man, I'm still glad I have a niche on the show, which is on the most important skateboard news. Yeah, you can find me at Mortburk on all the socials.
Speaker 2: And is there a work of media that you've been enjoying?
Speaker 1: Oh man, work of media? Boy? Oh boy, I was just gonna read here's a classic Rob Delayey tweet that tragically has become relevant again. I'm truly sorry. I voted for Trump. I only wanted disabled kids to lose their medicaid. I didn't want people to know I'm racist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Caitlin, wonderful having you guest host as always. Where can people find you and as their work of media you've been enjoying.
Speaker 5: You can find me on Instagram at Kaitlyn Toronte. You can listen to the podcast I co host with Jamie loftis The Bechdel Cast, where we talk about movies through an intersectional feminist lens and the piece of media I've been enjoying. I just watched a film called Salt of This Sea. I would highly recommend it's available on Canopy. It's a movie directed by a Palestinian filmmaker, and Marie jis here and I just watched it because we're about to cover it on the Bechdel Cast, so tune into that episode shortly. But yeah, it's about an American born Palestinian woman who returns to Palestine and tries to like get money that belongs to her family that was in a bank, and tries to visit her grandfather's home that he was forcibly removed from during the Nakba. And it's just like a really moving, beautiful movie that I would highly recommend, Salt of This Sea.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: Can I real quick plug a thing or two? So yeah, please, yeah, thanks. Yeah, I gotta weirdly have a bunch of stuff right now I'm doing. I'm doing a set at Flappers tomorrow. If you got to stand up in La. My podcast rebrand is We're twelve episodes deep with my wife actually Birt. She was an excellent, hilarious comedy writer. And the show Mythic Quest comes out on the twenty ninth, which I'm in a couple episodes of the season.
Speaker 2: Oh nice, Yeah cool, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: And check out Spiritually Filthy on YouTube. And I'm maybe gonna do a if people are interested. I'm pitching the idea of doing a benefit zoom stand up show. We did one last week and raised like seventeen hundred.
Speaker 2: Bucks, which I was really knocked by it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, friends of mine came through really hard, and I think it was a cool It was just a cool way to give an opportunity to people to like help around the country. So if any if people are interested in that, it would be like a ten dollars minimum donation. I would do it on Tryday twenty fifth, So hit me up on Instagram if you're interested.
Speaker 5: Who books that? Do you need any comics for it?
Speaker 1: Just can't through yet.
Speaker 2: Here you go. This is just skateboarder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, only skateboard.
Speaker 2: All right. You can find me on Twitter a Jack underscore O Brian. You can find me on Blue Sky at jack ob one the Number one. You can find us on Twitter at daily Zeitgeist. We're at d daily Zeitgeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fanpage on a website daily zeitguys dot com where we post our episodes and our footnotes. Were the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as a song that we think you might enjoy. Uh, super producer Justin is there a song that you think people might enjoy?
Speaker 4: This is a song I love to play in my car.
Speaker 3: It's a fun fusion of this dark, off kilter pizzakado string plucking over this like fragmented, slow churning bass, heavy beat.
Speaker 4: It's really really fun.
Speaker 3: There's this lyrical motif with the word creep from the TLC song from the nineties, and the wordplay is just really on point. It's a Mick Jenkins, a rapper from Chicago and Ice Cold Bishop out of LA and they both just go crazy on this track. So it's short but really really good. So this is Creep by Ice Cold Bishop and Mick Jenkins and you can find that.
Speaker 2: In the footnotes. The Daily Zeitgeis are a production of I Heart Radio. For more podcasts from My Heart Radio, visit Yeah Heart Radio, app, Apple podcast or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That's gonna do it for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what is trending and we will talk to you all then bye bye bye