Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This He's Talking Cowboys, screening live from the Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at.
Speaker 2: The Star in Frisco.
Speaker 4: Six second Pascott tidays tis not touchdown and.
Speaker 3: Now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez and Kyle Yeomans. It's a Talking Tuesday edition of Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas, in the SWBC studios. We've got Patrick no C Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Tommy Yarris with Chris Beam in the back.
Speaker 2: I'm Kyle Yeomans. A little breaking news right off the top.
Speaker 3: If you want to be a part of Talking Tuesday, give us a call. Eight eight eight eight y five two two nine seven. Be taking your calls shortly. But first it is over for the season for Dak Prescott.
Speaker 5: It is. I'm over here working two phones in the MAC.
Speaker 2: And I got two nice so we make it work. Hey, Hey, hey, hey God. One for the breaking and one for the news.
Speaker 4: Kyle, Kevin Gates job is in the building, all right, So all right, check out more of the details on Dallas Cowboys dot com. We just got that published. It's up, it's live, it's breaking. Jerry Jones Tails one oh five three the Fan. The long expected procedure is actually going to take place on Dak Prescott to repair his partially torn hamstring on Wednesday in New York, which is where he went to get his final medical opinion. He sought out several opinions on what was going on with his hamstring with the hopes of there being a slim chance of him possibly returning this season. But the hopes were always going to be slim, and now the decision has been made. So Wednesday in New York, Dak Prescott gets his partially torn hamstring surgically repaired. He will then be moved to IR if not today, and that's going to do it for Dak Prescott for twenty twenty four. You will see him in twenty twenty five. We'll get a prognosis on his timetable for return as far as how this will affect the beginning of the offseason program over the next several days or so, but that's where we are. It's officially as Mike McCarthy and Jerry Jones reiterated today on the Fan, as it stands, it is the Cooper Russ Show.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 5: So that's where we are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we talked about it a little bit yesterday, just kind of the thought process behind Cooper or Trey. I actually enjoyed hearing his side of it of saying that you can't discount what he did when he went four and one filling in for the five games for Dak Prescott in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: Of course you cannot discount it, which is true.
Speaker 3: But I think we've all said this on this show before that it is a different situation than twenty twenty two. You don't have an offensive line, you don't have separations from your wide receivers. I think at some point, if the product can continues to look at or look like what it did against Philadelphia offensively, I think there will be a switch made at some point this season.
Speaker 2: You just can't necessarily do that right now.
Speaker 3: You can't say, hey, one opportunity, it's done, it's good, and.
Speaker 2: Then we're gonna make a switch. Sorry Cooper. I don't think that's fair to him and fair to what is happening.
Speaker 4: But oh, there's more news here regarding that wasn't the only thing that's not that's not it. You're ready for this, Okay. This season is quite literally the definition of Murphy's Murphy's low.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: So, Cooper Rush, Apparently Jerry Jones kind of let it slip casually as he was talking to the fan on that that fumbled snap that Cooper Rush suffered after the Cowboys got him the ball back and we talked about that that can't happen. Apparently he strained his neck on that play trying to recover that ball. So let me just let me say this again, Okay, at the top of this, as we talk about having lost franchise quarterback for the remainder of the season, your immediate backup possibly is now less than one hundred percent going into this game against the Houston Texas on Monday Night football because on an error of his own devices, of his own making, he strained his neck trying to delete that error. So now that's something to watch this week in practice for Cooper Rush. Will he be on the injury report with a next strain possibly? And if so, you know, the Cowboys obviously they know that, knew that when they declared that Cooper Rush would be the starter against the Texans. But now you really have to wonder how long or short is that rope as far as Cooper Rush. If he goes out there and he starts struggling, be it because of the next strain or you know, the next strain? Notwithstanding, what does that look like for Trey Lance?
Speaker 3: I think that's the thing is Jerry mentioned the fact that there is a rope. The rope exists for Cooper Rush. He's not pulling the rope yet. But that's my question is how long is it? How long do you have until you see Trey Lance? And then Mike McCarthy I think alluded to it yesterday that they're in the process of signing a third quarterback.
Speaker 4: Right so, as it stands, the Cowboys are expected to re sign a reunion. We like our reunions in Dallas, don't we will. Greer is expected to rejoin the Dallas Cowboys, but not on the active roster. He's expected to design to the practice squad, which means they will need to make a corresponding move because the practice squad right now is maxed out at seventeen if you include in Zel Dackson with the ipp exception exemption. So Will Greer obviously he spent two or three years with the Cowboys, and then he was released, and then he spent a couple of times, a couple of stints with some other teams. But now back in the building pending physical So as long as he clears his physical and all is well, there, Cowboys and Will Grill, Will Greer will reunite, maybe as early as today.
Speaker 2: Interesting, good to know you weren't here for the Will Greer drama. But there was some very emotion Yeah, there was a little emotional drama back and forth.
Speaker 5: Interesting telling, all right.
Speaker 4: So Greer had been fighting, fighting, fighting to get onto the field. Actually felt for him, Yeah, I did. And he's a really great dude, as you will find out in the locker room. He was fighting for a couple of seasons, two or three seasons to get on the field. Uh, and it just wasn't necessarily working out for him. He had some flashes, he had some struggles, and just when he really thought that he was about to break through, the Cowboys and a fourth round pick to the San Francisco forty nine ers and acquired Trey Lance and immediately thereafter Will Greer's first stint with the Cowboys assuming the second stint in NEX this week was ended and it was very emotional.
Speaker 3: They gave him one final tryout too, with Trey Lance standing on the sideline.
Speaker 2: They went up against the Raiders in the final balled out.
Speaker 4: He went maniac mode and then it was a very emotional game for him, you know, teary type thing because he really wanted it.
Speaker 5: That was a tough press conference. It was a tough press conference.
Speaker 4: So, I mean, who knows, because you know, Trey Lance is not in the contract for twenty twenty five and we want to see this evaluation. It's not happening quite yet, so will Greer right now twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: So you're saying there's a cheat.
Speaker 2: Hit, we'll see he is here. So there's the state of your quarterback room, Josh.
Speaker 3: I want to get your thought process on on Dak season ending surgery.
Speaker 2: Not necessarily a surprise, but now it's actually official.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's no surprise, it's it's I'm surprised it didn't happen last week. But again, Dak was trying to find different options because.
Speaker 5: He wasn't quitting right, He was not giving up.
Speaker 7: He was not giving up, and he was trying to do everything he possibly could to see the field again this year.
Speaker 2: That will not happen. But I am in.
Speaker 7: A way relieved that he doesn't have to play for the remainder of the year. With the way the offensive line is playing, with the way that you know, we were calling for him to be mobile and to pick up yards on the ground. Obviously it just didn't work out that way. It's it's unfortunate. You hate to see that again. To Dak Prescott, I'm I don't want to I don't want to put it out there that he's in the Romo years, you know what I mean, Like he's at the towards the end of Romo's career where he's having all these injuries. But I'm just I'm worried for the future in that. Let's hope that the Cowboys are able to make some moves this offseason to get some people and some bodies around him that will help him in the pocket and help him get the ball out, quicker receivers getting open, receivers running their routes quickly, getting open, creating some space. But to me, part of me is thankful that he doesn't have to play with this current offensive this year for the remainder of the year.
Speaker 8: Well, obviously, I think, like Josh put it well where it was expected. I think that you know, could happen last week. But I think that it tells you how much of a competitor Dak Prescott is to be able to put this off and say I'm going to do everything I can and just pray that somebody tells me I can play and for some former fashion and some former fashion right, and so you know, obviously that's not the case. Obviously we're hoping for a speedy recovery and pray that surgery goes well. Yeah, but of course, you know, I think you're completely right in terms of this offseason needs to be focused on making sure that he set up for success.
Speaker 6: Football is a.
Speaker 8: Line of scrimmage game, and I think a lot a lot of the reason why the Cowboys have struggled the season has been because they've been weak at points at the line of scrimmage, specifically on the offensive line. I think you can look at this defensive line and they're starting to piece it together. I think these last couple of weeks, especially stopping the run, but the offensive line you've got pieces there. You've got Tyler Smith, you know you've got I still think Tyler Gouyden can be a good piece for you. I think it's more a matter of him getting the reps, because you got to remember with Guitton, he missed a lot of training camp, he missed Outa's so those are valuable reps. And mich McCarthy's talked about how those are valuable reps for a young guy to get.
Speaker 6: So awesome Richards exactly. Austin Richards played really well.
Speaker 8: Cooper BB has had a great season as a rookie center in a position he's never played before. I don't think that's talked about enough. Cooper BB is never played actually trying to bring it up, and he's playing not He's playing it the way that he is. So you know the pieces are there, But I think you're still one or two away. And when you insert Dak Prescott back into that formula, I think things will bode well.
Speaker 4: My only concern here is I don't believe that, and I'm glad you kind of pulled back on that. I don't believe this is the the sundown years of Tony rollmoy As far as injuries are concerned, but I can just we can go ahead and have a wake in a funeral for all of my hopes of Dak Prescott ever running the ball again. Probably he's never running the ball again. He will now be Payton manning back. He's never running the ball again. So that's more so than Josh's point. You got to make sure this offseason, whether it be free agency and hopefully the draft, a combination of the two, you got to put the weapons around him that can get the separate and you got to make sure because as far as the offensive line, because you don't know that Zach Martin's coming back, and even if he comes back, what's the decision there because we talk about Zach's play having declined a bit. So yeah, you got to make sure the protection is rock solid upfront, and you got to get the skill position guys outside of Ceedee Lamb who can get separation and run crisp routes. Because that Zach I'm sorry, that's not He's not taking off and running anymore.
Speaker 5: We're done. I'm burying.
Speaker 7: And like you said, though, building through the draft obviously that's something that we've always done. But you'd hope even with the whether it be a new regime or the same regime that we have currently. As far as coaching staff goes, you'd hope that they put a bigger emphasis on free agency. Yeah, because there are still really good guys out there in free agency that you could pick up to help enforce this. This offensive line tight ends wide receivers.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 7: Uh, there's a lot of wide receivers.
Speaker 3: The thing with at least this upcoming offseason is they're they're going to.
Speaker 2: Have a little bit more wiggle room than they did this past offseason.
Speaker 3: That's because they got the Dak deal and the CD Lamb deal done, but not as much as you would think to go and just absolutely spin like crazy because you've got Micah on the horizon. That's going to be another contract that's going to eat up a ton of your cap. D ron Bland possibly on the timeline if they want to extend him and continue having his services moving forward, which I think all of us here would like to do.
Speaker 2: Yep, there's a lot more on the horizon.
Speaker 3: Tyler Smith too, I mean goodness, he's playing at an all pro level right now. He's the only one on the offensive line that you can say is doing his job and excelling at it at this point, so there might be a tiny sliver of wiggle room, but for the most part, it's still going to be a slow spending offseason, which when you were talking about that, and you're building separation from your wide receivers and you're revamping your offensive line, I mean, it's no surprise that on this show.
Speaker 2: I love the NFL Draft.
Speaker 3: That's part of my favorite part of this job that I get to do on a yearly basis. Start to getting a little butterfly feeling because it's like, Okay, it's going to be that conversation again in the first round. Is it going to be a wide receiver or an offensive lineman?
Speaker 2: Again?
Speaker 3: That's what it'll be in April. That's exactly what the conversation when we start the Draft show. Whether that's four weeks from now or ten weeks from now, it's starting to look a little bit more like four weeks.
Speaker 2: From now as we go along.
Speaker 3: But if whenever we start the Draft show, that will be the first segment of as we stand today, where are you going in the first round? And right now I'm kind of in between wide receiver and offensive line because those are the things you're going to You're going to have to build around your sixty million dollars on average.
Speaker 2: Per year quarterback, and there's going to be basically going to be running a hole.
Speaker 4: There's going to be a curve ball, not to get into the draft show, but you're going to get the curve ball of lack an Ashton Gentt.
Speaker 5: Right. Sure, so, I mean that's what But that's going to make your conversation.
Speaker 3: I think the astrion gent conversation would have been a little bit higher up in the in the calling card if you were picking in the early twenties or late but.
Speaker 4: Not as you might sniff top five, you might be top ten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, moving up, knocking on the door of top ten, right exactly.
Speaker 3: You're at eleven right now, right, So yeah, I don't know if I'm okay with gent that high.
Speaker 2: I love Ashley put A. Don't get me wrong, because we end.
Speaker 5: Up having a draft conversation right now, just a.
Speaker 3: We can have a draft conversation. No, we need to talk to talking cowboys too. But yeah, tell me was that thing yesterday about? Because we get to startry.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we watched a little film yesterday, did you a little film.
Speaker 2: Let's go all right, let's take our first break.
Speaker 3: When we come back, we're going to talk to cowboys nation eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven. It is a Talking Tuesday. Hit the phone lines now. Chris Beam is in the back waiting to answer your call. Right after this with more Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 9: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee Today.
Speaker 10: Tod thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 11: Five G requires campable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. Seeatd dot com Slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 2: It's the official min's skincare.
Speaker 9: Brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash.
Speaker 2: Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 12: If you shout how about them cowboys? You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet. Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone. The wins will be even taste here.
Speaker 2: It's a pepper thing to Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This portion of the show is brought to you by a Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas cow Boys, Quaker Roads, trusted since eighteen seventy seven.
Speaker 2: Starting to heat up already, we're having draft conversations were.
Speaker 5: We ran out of time and senttily.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's coming Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 2: I promise it'll hit the airwaves as soon enough. All right.
Speaker 3: Our first caller today on a Talking Tuesday, eighty eight eight five five two two nine seven, our guy Champ in Nebraska.
Speaker 2: Champ, you're on Talking Cowboys. What's going on?
Speaker 13: Hey, gentlemen, how we doing this morning?
Speaker 14: Doing that?
Speaker 2: Three? What's on your mind?
Speaker 13: Good? Good? Oh my gosh, excuse me so much? And talks about with this team, Like, what a disciplining season. You know, we had three great runs the last three years and a lot of hope going into this season, some question marks, and it just all fell apart. I mean, the wheels have just fallen off the car. I have a huge question about the head coaching. I don't know why it feels like, well, I do know why everybody's on the Mike McCarthy's gone. He's on the one year contract. He's gone, But yet Jerry refuses to fire him right now. If that's what he's going to do, what are the chances that Jerry excuses all the injuries and brings him back on a two year contract or something. Is that possible? Do you think that's something he would do? Being that Jerry does what Jerry wants to do. And then on that hand, my other question is I love Jerry. Jerry's a great owner. He's been a great owner and ambassador for the NFL for many many years. That being said, Jerry is getting old. A lot of the stuff Jerry says is no longer Jerry isms, the stuff that I think we should be a little concerned about. I still think he's an into elegent man, but he's not as sharp as he was when he was a lot younger. One of the things being this morning flipping with the Cooper injury. I don't think that was supposed to come out the DAK when he admitted the Dak's having surgery tomorrow. It try to sound like he came out and maybe it shouldn't have. But then he's like, well I already said it, so let's just go with it. So just wondering what you guys think. I mean, I know you work for him. I know you're not kind of doggle man. I don't expect that, but you know, what do you think about that part of him? That being said, I love the show and listen to you guys every day. Patrick Uh Trayvon Steal to Pappy Steal got him one more time. So you guys have a great day. I'll be listening, have a great week. Love you guys.
Speaker 3: Thanks, appreciate a Chandler, great job. Two great questions. I'm going to address the second one first and I'll leave it up to you guys here in a moment, and this is a fan asking the questions.
Speaker 2: I want to let it be known because, like.
Speaker 3: He said, we work for the team, and there's a little bit there, but I'm going to tell the truth in this factor.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to sugarcoat this one bit tok effects.
Speaker 3: Jerry Jones is still extremely calculated. Everything that he let slip in terms of one, O, five to three the fan this morning was.
Speaker 2: A calculated move.
Speaker 3: He's doing that because he's Jerry Jones, and because he does that, everything he says in the media is still exceptionally calculated. He's not letting anything quote unquote slip that he doesn't want to let slip. That news was going to come out at some point anyways, and so Jerry Jones saying it from the lips of Jerry Jones just allows for more eyeballs, more ears, more attention to the flagship station, all sorts of things like that along the way. That's a smart move from Jerry Jones and all that he knows how to stir the pot.
Speaker 2: He knows how to make a national storyline.
Speaker 3: We're watching our guy Isaiah standback on Good Morning Football on the screen next to us right now, and the bottom line is breaking news. Jerry Jones says blank. That's why he says it on the radio. There's nothing slipping three D chess. Yeah, and the Cooper Rush thinks same thing. It's the same exact deal. That's that's calculated. And there might be.
Speaker 4: Things in the event Cooper Rush struggles. Absolutely, it was a soft pointing.
Speaker 5: Of Hey, I kind of told you that he was dealing with something right.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and there are things that I'm sure the coaching staff and the team across the hallway would love to keep silent.
Speaker 2: But at the end of the day, this is.
Speaker 3: The Jones Families organization, That's what it is. And they're going to say what they want to say, period. And so if they wanted to be out there in the open and they want to use that as a nugget in their weekly phone call, they're going to do it like that's just plain and simple part of it.
Speaker 7: Let me address a champ's first question really quickly, Coach McCarthy. Coach McCarthy, if if you bring him back, my question is who is your defensive coordinator?
Speaker 14: What?
Speaker 5: Al Harris?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. And I say that quickly, and I say that unequivocally because he would He was a top my list for defensive coordinators before they brought in Mike Zimmer and gave him the position. Al Harris has outright earned a shot at coordinating his own defense.
Speaker 2: What does his defense look like?
Speaker 4: Does it go back to takeaway takeaways?
Speaker 5: And it is dan quinnesque with Remember he was hired.
Speaker 3: By the McCarthy initially and was under Mike Nolan initially. He wasn't hired by dan Quinn. So do you think he would take that dan Quinn?
Speaker 5: I think it's more dan Quinn.
Speaker 4: I've had several conversations with Al Harris and he during the time with dan Quinn, he couldn't offer up enough praise for what dan Quinn was teaching him as far as the knowledge that was being imparted growing him as as a coach and the scheme that dan Quinn operated under that allowed for an exceptional pass rush as well as an exceptional defensive takeaway scheme right, And we're seeing right now under Mike Zimmer even though Al Harris got the promotion assistant head coaching, he's still defensive backs coach.
Speaker 5: But with this new.
Speaker 4: Scheme, I see very little Al Harris' fingerprints, very few of Al Harris's fingerprints on this, and I think that's one of the things that the Cowboys need to get back to. So yeah, knowing how the front office works, they love their proven head coaches, coordinators, God, they really love them. They seem kind of allergic to newer, younger faces that weren't groomed by the organization, like a Kellen Moore or Jason Garrett, which is why I find it difficult. Although I you know, looking forward, Ben Johnson would be a good candidate if he becomes available. We can't talk about him as if he's available because that's tamporing. But you have those younger names, but that isn't the same as like a Kellen Moore when he was within the here Jason Garrett. Al Harris is a young minded guy who's here and has been here several years. So I feel like that part of how the Cowboys pattern works coaching wise, hiring wise, and the fact that al Harris has shown that he can develop guys and get them taking away the ball Al Harris for.
Speaker 7: Me another question though, if McCarthy is gone next season, does Al Harrison have that chance to become defensive coordinat.
Speaker 5: I don't see why he would not. I don't see why he would not.
Speaker 2: Keep in mind, depends on who they would hire.
Speaker 5: Us agree because that head coach would have said.
Speaker 2: Most of the time they would.
Speaker 4: I guess my point there to answer that question would be if Al Harris and now granted the Cowboys blocked dan Quinn from getting Al Harris from the Cowboys, but that was because if dan Quinn right, he had Joe Witt. So if dan Quinn had offered Al Harris a promotion, then Cowboys could have done about it.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 4: So I say that to say, if Mike McCarthy is out of the building, there's a love that Al Harris has from McCarthy having played for him as well in Green Bay. That obviously, realistically speaking, you have to entertain the fact that maybe Al Harris is gonna go with Mike McCarthy. But I've spoken with Al Harris and he's ready to take a leap. Okay, he's ready to get his own something, if that's his own defense, if that's his own team.
Speaker 5: He's ready to get something of his own and breakout.
Speaker 4: And I could see it be in a situation where he thanks McCarthy for bringing him into the organization and everything he's done for him, both as a player and developing as a coach, and then saying, Hey, if Jerry Jones and this new incoming hit coach is going to give me a chance to prove myself as a DC, I'm not going to say no to that. So that I could continue by tutelage under McCarthy.
Speaker 2: Who would you pick?
Speaker 3: You asked the question, But I'm kind of curious on who would be here, someone outside hire or inside hier which I would go.
Speaker 2: With Al Harris.
Speaker 7: I want to see what that looks like, because I think you would bring back the element of like Patrick just said, taking the ball away, and you would bring back dan Quinn's not available, but he is, you know, but the personnel that he was using. And I think Al Harris has a better understanding of that, sure comparatively obviously they work together for such a long time. I think he has a better understanding, and of course he knows the players that he has.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The only other thing that I could add an element to in that process is if they were to hire Al.
Speaker 2: Harris as a defensive coordinator.
Speaker 3: A lot of times that would admit fault on who they hired initially instead of al Harris In this last coaching cycle of hiring Mike Zimmer as the defensive coordinator instead of hiring who they interviewed for the job. Al Harris is the defensive coordinator. They blocked him, they kept him here, but they didn't ultimately end up hiring him moving forward. And this would admit, Hey, we were wrong the first time around. Are you wrong now over the over the options? Who knows, because we haven't seen Al Harris as a defensive coordinator.
Speaker 7: But I think the the evidence is that you bring Mike Zimmer in for one year.
Speaker 2: Sure, they signed him for a one year deal.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think that into a participate nice five million dollar.
Speaker 7: Favor, Yes, exactly right, Yeah, a big favor from his partner. But I'm saying, like you probably did that for Al Harris as well. Yeah, give him a chance to learn besides somebody that isn't Dan Quinn and really develop who he is his defensive coordinator and give him that that promotion as well, you know what I mean? So, like, I think there is a part of the grooming process right to get him where he wants to go.
Speaker 8: Would you think, Tommy, I'm completely on board with the I'm on board with the Al Harris for defensive coordinator train. Yeah, I think that you made a good point where it's his third defensive coordinator. So that's given him some time to marinate in a lot of different systems and a lot of different philosophies and a lot of different coaching styles. And I think that when you've got players coming in from different philosophies, different coaching styles, more often than not, that's going to.
Speaker 6: Gel really well for you.
Speaker 8: I think you still you take a look at all your options. You see what's on the table, like you do in any coaching search at any level, whether it be coordinator, head coach. But if you were to tell me tomorrow, hey, Al Harris is going to be the Cowboys defensive coordinator in twenty twenty.
Speaker 6: Five, I'd be completely on board with that.
Speaker 8: And I'll say this too, going back to Champs thing about Mike McCarthy and the injuries and whether or not that would be you know, something that you know gives him some extra time whatever it may be. Look, Mike McCarthy is a great head coach. I think I think he's a great football coach. You know, I think that his track record shows that he went twelve and five for three years here in a row. You don't do that by accident. Injuries are a part of the game at any level of football. You are never going to be one hundred percent healthy across the board throughout the entire season.
Speaker 2: You want a Super Bowl riddled with any of you.
Speaker 8: Want a Super Bowl riddled with injuries and a very good quarterback. But nonetheless, I think that what it comes down to in the evaluation process is how do you build off of those injuries because you know they're going to happen. Obviously for the Cowboys that has been at an unprecedented scale and unfortunate timing left and right. But how do you keep things afloat? And so I think that's going to be the biggest thing that the organization looks to when it comes to that decision that's coming up here at the end of the season, is did he do a good enough job keeping it afloat? Do we think that he can keep this afloat going forward? And that's the question that's ultimately going to have to be answered.
Speaker 3: And right now as we sit, as Week ten is now in the rearview mirror, I don't know if you're in that boat. I don't know if the Cowboys boat is a float across the way or not. We're not in that locker room, but we can only tell from the outside looking in it hasn't been good the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: And that's where these conversations are shit.
Speaker 8: And it also depends on their definition of what is a flow.
Speaker 2: What is a float? Is it strening?
Speaker 6: Is it locker room cohesion?
Speaker 2: Is it personnel?
Speaker 6: Is it scheme? Could be what is staying afloat?
Speaker 8: So yeah, all of that, you know, this has something to think about as we go into these last couple of games.
Speaker 3: We do need to take our second break and get to some more phone calls. Great call Champ, just to provoke some conversation. The thought process here for me, when when it comes to Mike McCarthy before we go to this break, is the fact that, Mike, if you were to make a switch now, how does it help you further your franchise. I don't have a legitimate reason to do it right now other than the fact if you have lost the locker room, and I don't think that's the case.
Speaker 2: I don't think he's lost me today.
Speaker 3: That's what that was the first part of champs question was why hasn't he made a move yet? If this is going to happen in anyways. Yeah, the reason you haven't made a move yet is because he hasn't lost the locker room, at least from our outside vantage point looking in.
Speaker 2: And if you were to do it, it's.
Speaker 3: The same question Josh has asked, who's your interim head coach, who's your defensive coordinator, who's your offensive coord I mean, the whole staff would have to be redone in the middle of a season. I know you're not mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, but you're pretty much eliminated from the playoffs at this point in time. It still doesn't make sense, It really doesn't. And so that's why I don't think a move has been made yet. And there's gonna be a long way, and they're going to give an opportunity. Maybe that's the respect that the front office has for what McCarthy has done the last three years. They're going to give him a chance to write the ship, to keep this thing afloat, and then they'll reevaluate as the years go on, or the year goes on and it comes to a close at the end of the year, and as his contract comes to a close, so there will be a reevaluation process. If you're expecting a mid season move, I would just stop expecting it. It's not gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Unless things absolutelyely hit the absolute.
Speaker 3: Rock bottom and maybe below. Because they're going to have it. They're gonna give him a chance to try and get back to the top. All right, when we come back here on Talking Cowboys, a couple more calls. We've got Cynthia and Neby on the line. We'll talk to you right after this.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatble plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com Slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 1: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agin Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential moa, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official lagonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 15: Hey, y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yeti Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetie dot com. Check it out today. Yeti official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys, and.
Speaker 11: We're going to overtime Erica how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 16: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial Assistant in the Bank of America Mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com, slash Eric by your side. Bank of America, Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses to me. Very digital tool featured required downloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Englis language. Your chap maybe recorded and monitored for quality assurance, Message data, race and additional terms may apply. Bank of America and a number FDIC.
Speaker 2: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Hey there, Cowboys Nation, Welcome back into Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company.
Speaker 2: This segment is brought to you.
Speaker 3: By in Visiline, the Official Smile of the Dallas Cowboys. We're all smiles today with Patrick Noci Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Tommy Yarish, Chris Beam in the back. I'm Kyle Yeomans and we're all smiles because we're talking to the Cowboys fans. Cowboys Nation, Let's go to Nebby and Silver Springs, Maryland.
Speaker 2: What's going on Nebby?
Speaker 17: Hey, guys, thank you so much for taking my call. Uh. First of all, I want to get this out of the way. Let's seek you guys were talking about you who you guys hate more the Philadelphia Eagles or the Washington Commanders. Well, for me, growing up, uh me personally, I have always uh believed uh uh that the Commanders were or excuse me, are the more hated rivals. So me personally, even though I obviously live in the DC area, me personally, I hate the Commanders more than I hate the Eagles. Although that said, I do give the Commander's credit for being a great football team this year. Now, having said all that, I believe we are in must win mode for the next several weeks, and if we don't win our next game this coming Monday night at home against the Houston Texans, I've ben I believe that we should be in full evaluation mode and put Trey Lanton evaluate him, gave Deuce vun a chance to play and see what happens the rest of the season. All that said, before I go, I just want to say that the season isn't over yet. But we do have to win our next several games in order to make the playoffs. And I hope you don't mind me being optimistic and not giving up on the season just yet. Take care of Thank you so much for being patient with me, and have a great week. Bye.
Speaker 5: Thanks Navy.
Speaker 2: Let's start calling Neb's calls. Nebby nos ball.
Speaker 5: To start calling his own segment.
Speaker 2: I agree, a complete evaluation mode.
Speaker 3: You've got eight games left a lot of times, in order to make the postseason in this seventeen game schedule, you need to win ten games.
Speaker 2: At least maybe eleven, depending on what division you're in. And of course, if you've looked lately, the Cowboys are in a pretty good division. You need to either all eight of your.
Speaker 3: Next games or at the minimum seven of your next eight games in order to make the playoffs. And it kind of goes back to what we talked about yesterday, like, if anybody is looking at this team right now and saying they're gonna win seven of eight, I would call you crazy.
Speaker 2: I would absolutely call you crazy.
Speaker 3: I love the optimism, but I also think Nebby brings optimism in a realistic standpoint of let's say, hey, it doesn't.
Speaker 2: Go our way and you do lose on Monday night.
Speaker 3: Like you said, there, it's a valuation time which could be beneficial to this football team as well.
Speaker 8: I would argue that it's been a valuation time for this team since like Week four, and they just haven't realized it yet because they've been playing so much young talent.
Speaker 6: And I don't say that it's a bad thing.
Speaker 8: I mean it's evaluation from a standpoint of you get to see what you have while also getting these guys valuable. Will always be valuating, exactly right, but it's been more so just because the injuries that have come up and you've got you've got two rookies on the offensive line. You've got DeMar Fion over shown starting a linebacker for you what essentially is his rookie year. Caitlin Carson has had to step up at corner. So you know, sometimes that evaluation period comes with a negative connotation because some would take it as Okay, the season's over, like there's nothing to play for it anymore. Well, there's always something to play for. There's always something to play for because you get those guys reps and you get to see what they've got. So I would agree with that, with that notion, with that approach.
Speaker 4: Well, we everyone knows I kicked into evaluation mode in Week four, not that far back, but I did say I wanted to see Trey Lance packages and going into that game against the Eagles, I wanted to see some Deuce Vaughn and some of these other younger guys that you haven't seen so that you could start the process. And then I said, if you lose against the Eagles, to me, it is a lost season. But again to Tommy's point, it doesn't mean that what happens from henceforth doesn't matter. It does matter because you now need to see if ducevaugh needs to be on this roster next year. You need to see more from Hunter Lipkey so that you can build him up and get him ready for next year.
Speaker 5: And you know, now we'll expected to come back.
Speaker 4: Let's see if will Grid is going to be a viable option. So for me, you know what you having, Cooper Rush, Now, I'm in start Trey Lance mode right now?
Speaker 2: Okay, and then let's let's spring document.
Speaker 4: It right and then let's sprinkle some will Gear in there. Let's just just have some phone with it while we're doing the evaluation. So that's the only difference between Neby and I, and that I agree with what he's saying. It's just that my full evaluation mode has already started, like it started more or less after.
Speaker 5: You lost to the Eagles. Right, So he's willing to wait a week.
Speaker 4: But to your point, Cayl, not only would you have to damn near went out in conjunction with that, you would need both the Washington Commanders and the Philadelphia Eagles to fall flat on their faces. The Eagles have shown that they can, but this Commander's team is just so red hot.
Speaker 5: And then you look at who they're playing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they got the Eagles twice, so two head butts there, but you know.
Speaker 5: They're playing the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: They're playing the tight ends to playing the Saints, who are surging a little bit, but maybe they'll mail it in by then.
Speaker 2: I want to get to Cynthia because Cynthia is a real one. Come on, Cynthia is one of our.
Speaker 3: Favorite colle on Talking Cowboys because he's offered us to prove tex mex whenever we got the chance to go down to Laredo, Texas.
Speaker 2: Cynthia, you're back on talking Cowboys. What's going on?
Speaker 14: Good morning, guys. It's about time Craig got me on this year. Yeah, a female fan. Okay, we love it, We love it.
Speaker 2: Cynthia. How are you.
Speaker 14: I'm doing well. I'm sad. Okay, I'm not mad at the Cowboys. I'm not mad at anybody. You know who I am so sad for.
Speaker 2: What's that?
Speaker 14: It's Sekiel Elliott. I just it hurts me that he's done so much for so many years and now the situation he's in. I just wanted to say that I appreciate all those good times we had with him. Now I want to do out guy's opinion about is this is last year? Can you retire as a Cowboy? I would love to see that. That's all I have to say. Kyle. I just want to thank you because I met you last year. Yeah, when we played the Giants and I met Nate and Michelle. His life and that will always be in my heart forever and ever and forever never a Cowboy.
Speaker 13: Fan, Yes, ma'am, and I'll listen to y'all.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you, miss Cynthia. Thank you, thanks for the call as always. Yeah, she was great. We were out of pregame life like we were last week and she came by and said.
Speaker 3: Hie, I told you we met Tim by the way this past week, huge talking Cowboys fans. Tim came by the set, was able to say Hi, I took a picture of Isaiah and I and we kind of like gave him some freebies, gave him like a Waterburger hat and the Jack.
Speaker 2: Black set, some little take me homes. But no, he was awesome.
Speaker 3: Loved talking to Tim, Loved talking to Cynthia last year. Ezekiel Elliott, the conversation was made this morning with Jerry Jones and he said, we are not living in the past. With Ezekiel Elliott, he said, let it be clear, we are not living in the past. He's like, were currently in the future, I think present future.
Speaker 2: Whatever it does that be? What does that mean for his future here?
Speaker 3: Because we talked about it yesterday, Josh, you talked about ric O Daddle fumbles at the goal line. He's made inactive next week Hunter Lipkey line.
Speaker 2: But definitely less it was Oh they were actually he was actually inactive. Remember, Yeah, he was sick.
Speaker 13: Was over him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was there was weather there there was a storm a coming. But then you had Hunter Lipkey last year who didn't get to touch the rest of the year. Ezekiel Elliott, who has had his struggles this year, gets the opening carry of the next drive. There's a conspiracy theory out there. I'm not saying it's what I believe, but they're saying that, hey, we're gonna give you one last carry, so your last carry is.
Speaker 2: Not a fumble with this team and in this uniform. I don't know if I believe that's the case.
Speaker 5: That's not his last carry.
Speaker 2: I agree, but is this his last year?
Speaker 5: That was not his last carrie.
Speaker 4: I do not believe Ezekiel Elliott will retire from the NFL in twenty twenty five. So to Cynthia's question, you know, would he retire as a cowboy this year after the season He's I don't get the indication that he's the people to retire. He still thinks he can play ball and there's going to be a team that gives him a shot to do so.
Speaker 5: I don't know that that will be.
Speaker 4: Here in Dallas though, Yeah, that's kind of where I'm Yeah, I don't know that that will be here in Dallas. I think again, I said, I said it two weeks ago. Ric o'dowdo has earned the right to remain in Dallas in twenty twenty five. But you still don't know what you have in Duce. You kind of know what you have in Hunter, but we want to see more evaluation on those latter two guys. I just talked about you got to rebuild your running backs room, and I'm with rebuilding it with Rico o'dowdo in the mix. But as far as Ezekiel Elliott, it's one of those things where he how's the saying go you can't go home again? I think that's that's where they are with Ezekiel Ellitt.
Speaker 7: I mean, I don't think this is Zeke's last year playing football. I think this probably is his last year in Dallas, and hopefully eventually he retires.
Speaker 5: With the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: I would love to see that happen.
Speaker 7: But if you just look at the statistics, I mean this year compared to last year, where I think the Patriots surprisingly had a more they obviously used him in better ways for his playing style currently and we are just not that team right now. I mean, if you even look at his rushing yards, it's over six hundred.
Speaker 2: Last season, He's.
Speaker 7: Only at one seventy at the moment, and we're a good portion through the season. I don't think he's going to get anywhere near six hundred seven hundred yards rushing, and he had almost one thousand dollar purpose yards last year as well. He's not reaching that because we don't throw the ball to him either. I just don't think that our play style is playing to his strengths in any form or fashion. I think it's a shame because I think that is a tool that.
Speaker 2: You could use. He's a great athlete.
Speaker 7: I just it's disappointing that the play calls are not going his way and the offense just doesn't seem to what he does with Ezekiel Elliott does. Now, what we've talked about even in the offseason, it's like, you can't expect twenty fourteen Z or twenty sixteen Zeke to come in and play like that anymore. You have to expect twenty twenty three Zeke, you know, in twenty twenty four Z twenty four and use him to his strengths. Yeah, so it doesn't seem to be that way. And I but I don't think he this is his last.
Speaker 8: Football Yeah, I agree that I think there's still gas lucked in the tank. I just don't think the car is being driven right now. And uh, you know it's a bar I think.
Speaker 13: That is.
Speaker 8: I think I think I agree most with Josh's point about you know, this is unfortunately not twenty fourteen, twenty fifteen, Ezekiel Elliott.
Speaker 6: This is twenty twenty four Yeah, ezekiel A.
Speaker 8: The unfortunate part about Time is that sometimes he catch us up to you and father Time is undefeated. I think you've told me that, how about a half a million times in the monk that I've been here. But it's very true, and you're seeing it across the board, even Zach Martin, if you feel like Time is kind of catching up to him too.
Speaker 6: But no, I don't think this is Ezekielli.
Speaker 8: It's last year in the NFL, and I certainly hope not, because I still think that there's some juice left there.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The bottom line is it's every once in a while you get back with the Knicks. You give it a shot, and if it doesn't work, don't wait until it gets to toxic.
Speaker 5: Just let it go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think this is one of those situations they got back got back with their X, and based upon the history, they were like, there were some good things there, We had a lot.
Speaker 5: Of romance, We had a lot of good things happened.
Speaker 4: But then this time around, after you got back with the X, you're like, yeah, we're two different people now, entirely so relationships.
Speaker 3: Dude's that is the weirdest metaphor that's ever worked that well, Like that is the perfect metaphor, but it's also super uncomfortable at the same time.
Speaker 5: It's because we've all been there.
Speaker 2: Were you gonna add something there?
Speaker 7: No, I just think that not to tamper or anything, but it wouldn't it be nice to see Zeke with a quarterback that has some escapability, some dual threat to him so that you could actually see him out in space.
Speaker 6: Let me tell you about Trey Lance Bingle.
Speaker 2: Allright, he might be better.
Speaker 3: Maybe we'll be back tomorrow. Cowboys Defensive preview. Going up against C. J. Stroud and the Houston Texans offense, it does not get any easier for Dallas, and we're gonna try and see what happens. Defense has given you some things to build on, and we're gonna see if the Cowboys can take it another step forward. Maybe play a complete four quarters of defense, even whether or not the offense gives you any help as well. It's gonna be a tough task this week against the Texans. For Tommy Yarish, for Josh Rodriguez, Patrick No Cy Walker, Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yoman, saying so long from Talking Cowboys, We'll see you tomorrow. This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.