Speaker 1: Crime Stories with Nancy Grace.
Speaker 2: Killer dad Chris Watts murdered not only his two beautiful daughters, Bella and Celeste, little cherubs, but also their pregnant moms, Sanan Watts, pregnant with their first boy, said to be named baby Nico, but in the last days, Shanan's mother speaks out, slamming Chris Watts as quote the anti Christ, claiming Watts was quote thinking with his manhood his penis. I'm Nancy Grace, this is Crime Stories. I want to thank you for being with us. After Chris Watts strangles his pregnant wife Shanan and suffocates their two little girls, his former mother in law speaks out, quote, we truly believe he is the Anti Christ.
Speaker 3: Period.
Speaker 2: No man, no gentleman, would take his chillildren's lives and disintegrate their bodies in oil and gasoline, the grandma speaking out. Now as a trove of disturbing murder scene photographs is released, Remember he asked his lawyers to hide the photos from the public. What happened the night Shenan was murdered. She's dead, The two children are dead, The two little girls are dead.
Speaker 3: The unborn baby, of course, is dead.
Speaker 2: I want you to hear the husband as he begs for help.
Speaker 3: I just want them back.
Speaker 4: I just I just want them to come back. And if if they're not safe right now, that's what's that's what's tearing me apart, because if they are safe, they'll come back. But if they're not, this this, this has got to stop. Like somebody has to.
Speaker 2: Come forward, somebody come forward. The begging for help at that point, trying to find his wife.
Speaker 3: She's gorgeous, million.
Speaker 2: Dollar smile, long brunette hair, Shannon Watts. I'm looking at a photo of her right now with her two daughters, Celeste just three years old, Bella just four. They have just been located. Their remains have been located. That is straight out to Ellen Calaurin joining us with Crime online dot Com. Ellen, I want to start at the beginning as this whole thing unravels. Tell me about Shannon's new job.
Speaker 3: I want to start with that.
Speaker 5: Shannon was having a lot of success selling weight loss patches through multi level marketing company.
Speaker 2: Did you say weight loss packets or weight loss patches?
Speaker 5: I believe it's patches, yeah.
Speaker 2: Because I'm looking at a picture of her ek and she's got she's sporting a patch that's like she's kind of almost showing it off or really not trying not. You know when people have those nicotine patches, they'll put them under their sleeve or something. This is a little knee patch she has, like just underneath her collarbone. And when I first thought, I'm like, what is that? Then I figured out that must be one of those weight loss patches. It was wildly successful, Ekae. She was traveling all over the world really pushing it. But that's about all I know about it is you start at the beginning.
Speaker 5: Okay, So yeah, she had been having a lot of success, and part of what a multi level marketing job is recruiting more salespeople. So she was posting on Facebook all the time showing how well she was doing. She was getting a car allowance, so she's got a Lexus. She's going on work funtter vacations all the time. She's working really hard, but she's also having the time of her life. And up this with what we later learned that the family had that had financial trouble and they had filed for bankruptcy in two thousand and five, and Chris had reportedly told some neighbors pretty recently that they were thinking about selling the whole.
Speaker 3: Uh oh.
Speaker 2: Now here's a mom who has been devoting her entire life to raising the two little girls, Celeste and Bella, and then they hit hard times. The dad is no deadbeat, he's been working too, so they fall on hard times and they have to get out from under staggering debt by filing bankruptcy. She manages to land a job at about eighty thousand dollars a year, but part of that job is having to travel away from her children, which she hated. She would leave for work and I believe this country is they call it health supplements. This eighty thousand dollars job, she had a lot of trips to Mexico.
Speaker 3: And Dominican Republic.
Speaker 2: Her work often took her away from home and that leaves the husband, Christopher Watts, at home with the two little girls. During this time, she gets pregnant and they are looking forward to the birth of the first boy in the family. Also with me renowned pathologist and medical examiner, doctor Michelle Dupree and forensics expert Joseph Scott Morgan, Professor of Forensics Jacksonville University and author of blood beneath my.
Speaker 3: Feet to you, Ellen Kilaurn.
Speaker 2: Have you ever noticed realtors, Okay, realtors always have beautiful cars.
Speaker 3: I'm convinced they're all least by the way.
Speaker 2: Beautiful cars, beautiful clothes, beautiful jewelry. And I guess it's part of the image they need to project. But it's a facade that they need to present. This mom got this job and had to present this facade exactly.
Speaker 5: It's part of the job to make it. It's part of the presentation, to make the whole experience seem like something that you want to participate in. Her job isn't just selling the weight loss patches. It's also selling other people taking the kind of job that she has. She's recruiting as well, so she has to protect project an image that makes us look very, very entasting.
Speaker 3: I'm taking a look right now.
Speaker 2: I know it's one of her posts, says quote, did you know Lavelle gives an eight hundred dollars a month car bonus for hitting only the second rank in the company. How amazing is that she just wrote that in the last month. Hey, you know what, I think, I'm going to go do it? Eight hundred dollars a month for a car bonus. Could I get rid of my stinky mini van Ellen?
Speaker 3: So I think you could. So I want to get back to the mom missing.
Speaker 2: So she starts this job, and even amidst the new job where she's really having to work and travel out of town away from her two kids, they still are considering selling the house.
Speaker 3: Ellen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that a neighbor told a reporter that just week that Chris had kind of off handedly mentioned that they were considering selling the house. So it's really hard to say what their financial situation was like. It seems like obviously there had been some trouble in the past, but after they filed for bankercip is when Shannan got this job, and also Chris had been working at the petroleum company. So they're both working, but it's hard. They've got two children, they've got another on the way. That's a lot of financial pressure. It's hard to know how easily they really were making envy because, like you said, a big part of Shannan's job was making the job look really really attractive to other people.
Speaker 3: All we know is that, well, what was his job? What was his job? Christopher Watts's job, as.
Speaker 5: He worked for a petroleum company. He's been working there since at least twenty fifteen. It's not clear exactly what his job was.
Speaker 2: I want to get back to her going missing Ellen, When did that happen?
Speaker 3: Give me the timeline she had.
Speaker 5: Just gotten back to me yet another work trip on early in our Monday morning.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, I want to clear something up.
Speaker 2: I want to clear something up with me, Doctor Michelle Dupree, Joe Scott Morgan, also New York psychiatrist, doctor Judith Joseph.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know if you have.
Speaker 2: To travel for work, doctor Michelle dupri But it sounds so glamorous. It is not glamorous, like this woman went to New Orleans, Toronto, Punta Kinda, Dominican Republic, Puerto Valerta, Vega, San Diego. When you travel for work, doctor Michelle Dupree, it is not glamorous. I typically get off of a plane, I go straight to the worksite, dragging my beat up suitcase behind me, and I get there.
Speaker 3: I work. I work late.
Speaker 2: Because I want to hurry and work as lady as I can so I can get back earlier.
Speaker 3: End up spending the night in the hotel.
Speaker 2: Grab something on the way and then I get up as quickly as I can, sometimes at three or four in the morning, to get to the airport to get back home.
Speaker 3: That's not glamorous. Dr Sheldy, Pray, you're exactly.
Speaker 6: Right, Nancy.
Speaker 7: It is not very tiring, and you are worn out by the time you can hunt.
Speaker 3: So tell me this.
Speaker 2: She gets back Ellen from one of these trips, and what happens.
Speaker 5: She gets back late early in the hours of Monday morning, he goes to work at five am. Apparently they stay up together for three or four hours talking and he admitted that it was an emotional conversation. So that's going to be a really big question in this case. What was going on in that quote unquote emotional conversation. Well, because she wasn't seen again after that, Well, you.
Speaker 2: Know, when one partner travels a lot. To Doctor Judith, Joseph, renowned New York psychiatrists joining us, that's very hard. As a matter of fact, Doctor Judith, when my husband traveled constantly, he would leave on Sunday night and get back if I was lucky, on Friday night. Our entire relationship when we had the twins, I said, listen, son's got to give I cannot work and be on call for crime related stories twenty four seven, three sixty five.
Speaker 3: And you be gone.
Speaker 2: It's just it's well, you know what, he started his own business so he could name his own hours. But doctor Juth, not everybody is that fortunate to be able to just go run out and start your own business.
Speaker 3: And it's hard when one.
Speaker 2: That's very stressful on a family with two toughts and another on the way, for one parent to be gone.
Speaker 3: All the time.
Speaker 2: I guess they did have an emotional conversation.
Speaker 8: I agree with you, Nancy. You know, traveling is hard on anyone to even people who don't have children. Stuff us on depression, anxiety, sweep disorders related to extensive traveling. And so then when you put that stress into the mix with two young children, a husband who's sharing the brunt of things, and you know, traditionally in our society, some parts of this country are still very very traditional, it's not common for the mother to leave the home, and so a lot there probably were a lot of feelings there, and you know, sometimes people become up in the community about about this, and so I'm not sure what was happening with this them in particular.
Speaker 3: However, you're absolutely right.
Speaker 8: Travel is stressful, and when one parent has to stay behind and one partner has to be behind, sometimes the imagination goes wild in their accusations of jealousy and infidelity. And we don't know what was happening in this family.
Speaker 3: We are taking your calls nine zero nine four nine crime nine zero nine four nine two seven four sixty three. You are listening to crime stories with Nancy Grace. What happened to Shannon Watts?
Speaker 2: Window treatments is one of those terms for something necessary but boring. Your blinds You don't even think about them unless you move or they break. Well, when they're right, everything in your home looks better, But when they're wrong, everything in your home looks tacky. But let's be honest, taking the time and the effort to pick out and buy blind sounds expensive, boring, and then think of installing them yourself.
Speaker 3: Who wants to do that?
Speaker 2: But blinds dot Com makes it really easy for you not sure what you want or even where to start. With blinds dot Com, you get a free online design consultation, send them pictures of your home. They send back custom recommendations from a professional for what will work with your color scheme, your furniture, and your specific rooms. They even send you free samples to make sure everything looks as good in person as it does online. And every order gets free shipping. And this is the best part. If you accidentally mismeasure or pick the wrong color. If you mess it up, blinds dot Com will remake your blinds for free. Blinds dot Com makes it really easy for you. There's no excuse to leave up mangled blinds to make your whole home look cheap and tacky.
Speaker 3: Don't do it.
Speaker 2: Go to blinds dot com and now, for a limited time, get twenty percent off everything at blinds dot com when you use promo code Nancy. Repeat twenty percent off everything at blinds dot com if you use the promo code Nancy. That's blinds dot Com promo code Nancy for twenty percent off everything foe wood, blinds, cellular shades, roller shades, everything blinds dot Com Promo code Nancy.
Speaker 3: Rules and restrictions do apply.
Speaker 4: Her flight got delayed from Arizona because like other storms around the nation, so you're supposed to get home like elevench got home at like one forty eight. If you came home from an airport two am and I left around five point fifteen. She's still here, and like about twelve ten in that afternoon and her friend Nicole showed up at the door. Like I had texted Shan a few times that day, called her say you know, but she never got back to me. But she wasn't get back to any of her people as well. And that's what really concerned a lot of people, is like she's not getting back to her but like she doesn't get back to me, that's fine, Like she gets busied during the day, but she gets back to her people, which was very concerning. And Nicole called me when she was at the door, and that's when I came home and then walked in the house and nothing vanished. Nothing was here. I mean, she wasn't She wasn't here, the kids weren't here, nobody was here.
Speaker 2: We are discussing the case of Shannon Watts. We want justice. Shannon goes missing along with her two children, Bella and Celeste little Toss.
Speaker 3: And to top it all off, Shannon is pregnant.
Speaker 2: I recall covering a case and I learned a startling statistics.
Speaker 3: I believe it.
Speaker 2: Was from the New England Journal of Medicine that the number one cause of death amongst pregnant women in the US is homicide. The number one cause of death. It's not heart failure, it's not stroke, it's not anything you may imagine. It is homicide. Very disturbing, joining me, doctor Michelle Dupree, Joseph Scott Morgan daughtered you, Joseph and Ellen Calaurin. So Ellen, she goes missing. We just heard the husband, Christopher Watts, begging for help to try to find her. I'm thinking this though, it's not like she would run away with another man and bring the two little girls, Bella and Celeste with her. Also, she came home that night, she got home from out of town. She has this discussion, probably related to the out of town trips she had to take, and then the husband is her work at five am. She's alive and well. Then, so how does she turn up dead?
Speaker 3: And where Ellen?
Speaker 5: I have a lot of questions about that segment of the interview that we just heard. I'm curious why that friend went to the home in the first place. Why would she just go over there. I'm wondering if maybe there was a sense among friend some of her friends that Shannon Shannan was in distress, and as far as I know, there were not any accusations of infidelity on her part. But apparently she did mention to a friend at one point that she was wondering if maybe her husband was being unfaithful.
Speaker 3: A cheater a murderer does not make.
Speaker 2: But I can tell you this, when you have a happy family and a happy marriage, the husband's not waiting in the shadows to push the wife over a cliff.
Speaker 3: I know that much.
Speaker 1: Crime stories with Nancy Grace.
Speaker 2: As Shenan's mother speaks out calling Chris Wants the Antichrist, claiming he thought only with his penis. Photo have been released, including one of a large plastic doll covered from head to ankle in a blanket that Chris Watts sent to then living wife Shanan just before he murdered her, suggesting a dead body. Her mom says, quote, he was foretelling her future. That's what he was doing because grand my granddaughters would never cover their dolls faces. We knew Chris did this. Another photo shows the bloodied sheet Watts used to wrap Chanan's body transporting her and his two children to a very remote petroleum work site after murdering them after murdering her No wonder her mother calls him the Antichrist. With facts like these, who wouldn't problems allegedly servicing just in the past two months because a coworker of Shannon's mom said they may have been headed for divorce right when they're turning the corner. Doctor Judith Joseph, New York Psychiatrists joining us. They yes, they went bankrupt in twenty fifteen, but they recently had enjoyed these lavish trips and alexis automobile thanks to her new job. It took out of town a lot, and then problems began to surface at home and looks like they're turning the corner on all their financial problems when she goes missing.
Speaker 8: Judith, well, yeah, I think that that's the statistics that you mentioned about pregnant women and homicide being at you want. Cause of death is so significant, and people don't realize this that partners people who are not pregnant husbands, they also experienced postpart and depression and stressed and it's not the same cause it's not hormonal. There's a lot of transitions that people have to see when they're having multiple children. And you add the stress of finances, you add aertal pressure and maybe a third party or someone who's engaging in adultry, and then people explode. And I don't know this family in particular. I haven't treated any of them. However, it sounds like they were trying to create this facade disappearance that things were okay, and clearly things were not okay.
Speaker 2: Well another thing, don't you the Joseph As to Joseph, everybody has those problems.
Speaker 3: Everybody that is.
Speaker 2: Married with the family will have children to take care of, jobs, financial pressures. And she certainly was never accused of having a sex relationship with anybody else.
Speaker 3: So why does she go missing?
Speaker 2: And what does all of that have to do with her body being discovered?
Speaker 9: Now?
Speaker 3: I can tell you this much.
Speaker 2: To Scott Morgan and Alan Duke in La Jackie Howard here in the studio, Jackie's shaking her head yes to this, Alan, Joseph, I thought of you, Joe, Scott. I'm sorry, but I just don't think men do as well as good a job as women do raising children. Because every time I have to go out of town, I start getting emails from the children's teachers.
Speaker 3: They don't have their gym clothes, this and that. They didn't bring this, They didn't bring that.
Speaker 2: I find out they go to school with nothing but mini muffs in their stomach.
Speaker 3: You know where those come from, Joe Scott.
Speaker 2: They come off the shelf, out of a plastic package. True, they're good, they're intimates. I didn't get paid for that. Those little bee chocolate chip and those are treats they have after dinner.
Speaker 3: If they're awesome.
Speaker 2: That's what John David might get if I can drag them off fortnite or as we call it, fortnite. Anyway, long story short, that's such a treat that's not breakfast.
Speaker 3: And I find out I come home their toothbrushes are bone dry.
Speaker 2: They I've even put them in a different places in the bathroom so I can tell if they have been used one time since I have been gone.
Speaker 3: The cat starving crying, the.
Speaker 2: Dogs laying in the driveway starved.
Speaker 3: The guinea pigs are beat beat beeping.
Speaker 2: Everybody's starved. The place is a wrecked No, Joe Scott, I'm sorry. I just don't think men do as well a good of his job as women. And here he is taking care of these two children.
Speaker 10: Hey, I gotta, I gotta stand in proxy.
Speaker 3: Your wife is listening, just so you know.
Speaker 10: I know, I know, I gotta. I gotta stand in proxy for your husband. Here, take it easy on us. We bruised. Really.
Speaker 3: You know what he said.
Speaker 2: You know what he said when I confront him with two starving, screaming guinea pigs. You know what he says about the children. I say, why didn't the children have their gym clothes? He goes, They're alive.
Speaker 3: They're alive. They got in school and they're alive. That's all you've got to say.
Speaker 2: And he goes, yes, And I go, you should have exercised your right to remain silent. You should have just stayed quiet on that.
Speaker 3: Okay. Anyway, my point is he's got these two children.
Speaker 2: So, Ellen, how does it go from him taking care of the children and now she's dead and goes missing?
Speaker 3: Ellen, come on fast forward.
Speaker 5: Ellen, We don't know exactly what happened. Police aren't revealing anything about the presumed causes of death.
Speaker 8: All we know is that.
Speaker 5: This is a husband who had financially struggled in the past. He's at home alone with two daughters. His wife is having a lot of success. They have another baby.
Speaker 8: On the way.
Speaker 5: He could have been under a lot of stress and he may have felt that his role had been diminished in the family.
Speaker 2: Well, and I'm asking you, I'm not concerned about his male ego. Ellen, She's dead, and now let me just Q and A with myself here.
Speaker 3: Isn't it true? Cops believes she was killed in her home and then her.
Speaker 2: Body moved to and a Darko oil and gas drilling properties.
Speaker 3: Who worked there?
Speaker 2: May I ask you that, Ellen, who do we know work at Anadarko Oil and Gas drilling Name one person, Chris Watt.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm talking about. Doctor Michelle Dupree helped me out here. Pathologists, medical examiner. Doctor Dupree, you know what you and I talk about. When somebody kills, they very often will do it or dispose of the body in a place they are familiar. And I always point to Scott Peterson. He's a fisherman. He goes fishing in San Francisco Bay all the time. He fishes, He golfs and he cheats. He fishes, he golfs, and he cheats. It's like rents and repeat on the back of your shampoo. He fishes, he golfs, and he cheats. Where is lazy his dead wife, an unborn child, Connor in San Francisco baby, because he's comfy there, he goes and dumps the bodies there, Doctor Michelle, you see it over and over.
Speaker 7: Exactly, you really do? We love it when they're dumb.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And here we've got in a Darco Oil and Gas drilling one of those properties where the husband, Christopher Watts works. And when I come and Joe Scott Morgan, I need expertise from you regarding how they might know the mom and the two little girls were murdered in their own home. This is Crime Stories tip line nine oh nine four nine two Crime nine oh nine four nine two seven four sixty three.
Speaker 4: I called her a three, texted her about their times, just to say, you know, what's going on? Like I didn't I her that for that for the after I called her and texted her once, It's like maybe she was just busy, like just gotten back, you know, like everybody's probably calling her from her trip. She just got back from Arizona, and I figured just she was just busy. But when her friend showed up, that's what it was like. It registered like, all right, this isn't right right now. I don't even want to just like throw anything out there, Like I hope that she's somewhere safe right now and with the kids, But I mean, could she event could she just taken off?
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 4: But if somebody has her and they're not safe, like I want them back now like that, that's what's in my head. Like if they're safe right now, they're gonna come back. But if they're not safe right now, that's what that's the not knowing part, Like if they're not safe. Last night, I was had everybody in the house on I was hoping that I would just get just ran over by the kids running in the door, just like Beryl rushing me. But it didn't happen, and it was just a traumatic night trying to be here.
Speaker 2: Okay, there you're hearing the husband, Christopher Watts, begging for the public's help. I gotta tell you something to forensics expert, Professor Forensics at Jacksonville State University, death investigator and author of Blood Beneath My Feet, you know, with a title like that, I just want to read it right now.
Speaker 3: Joe Scott Morgan.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Joe Scott, how do they where do you believe they're getting the evidence to support the theory that mommy and the two little girls were killed in the home and then their bodies moved to this obscure drilling location.
Speaker 10: Two the things that we look for, Nancy, are going to be, and this is generally blanket statements that you'll see in a death investigation report, evidence of forced entry, struggle. And also is there any evidence of physical evidence that's left behind relative to things like blood evidence. The police are keeping a very tight lid on this as far as what they're releasing to this point, and I plaud them for that, But if you were, if I were to speculate at this point, it would be something like blood evidence and the point of origin of this. How did we come to this point where blood would be distributed, for instance, in a house? Was there was it evidence that they were killed in one spot and then the bodies.
Speaker 2: Perhaps, says Scott Morgan, it could be cybers hold on, hold on getting a call from Atlanta. Ray in Atlanta, what's your tip questioner theory.
Speaker 6: Hey, listen, Nancy, you have got to stop immediately blaming the husband on these things. Now you look We've debated this for years. First of all, you need.
Speaker 3: To be at work and not listening to the radio number one.
Speaker 6: But go ahead, well because you get me and I'm aggravated and that's why I'm doing this.
Speaker 7: Now. Listen.
Speaker 6: One thing that it does do, and I think you will agree with this in your many years of experience, when the focus is on whom almost everybody assumes, it harms law enforcement. Let me tell you why. Law enforcement in some of these cases just wants to sit back and lit the In some cases, the husband or the part here act.
Speaker 3: The fool, go to the funeral, make.
Speaker 6: The statement, try to cover up evidence, and it just makes a better case for law enforcement. Additionally, for US criminal defense lawyers, if the immediate and full focus is on this number one suspect, it gives us some play in the defense, like, hey, law enforcement, you never even looked at the gardener or the guy that you had an argument with last week, or this guy that's been flirting with her online. You went right to my client.
Speaker 2: No holds barred.
Speaker 6: So again, the initial focus on someone who was presumed innocent till proven guilty has some flaws in the prosecution of the case.
Speaker 2: You know, Ray, don't you need to be somewhere right now, like in court or at your office, or with your feet kicked up, smoking your cigar, catching that fat paycheck you get from that law firm. You know, Ray, it's not just me claiming the husband did it.
Speaker 3: Didn't You used to be a.
Speaker 2: Long time ago before you went to the dark side. Didn't you used to be a prosecutor?
Speaker 3: Do I have that wrong yet?
Speaker 6: But then I saw the light.
Speaker 3: Then you saw the paycheck. You saw the paycheck. Rage you to Shae, That's what happened with you.
Speaker 6: You're always waving that little pocket copy of the Constitution around. The difference is I read it okay, and these folks are entitled to the presumption of innocence.
Speaker 2: Oh, now, I know you're in trouble when you start dragging the presumption of innocence out of the moth balls.
Speaker 3: Listen, I'm not just blaming him because he's the husband. I'm blaming him because he's the last one with her at two a m.
Speaker 2: When she gets out of town because she has to go out of town to work and make a living to support the family. She's got two little babies at home, two little girls, Bella and Celeste, and she's pregnant. This woman is not just gonna run out to meet some other man. Plus it's two o'clock in the morning. He's there until five am when he goes to work at some oil and a dark oil and drilling company. And guess for her body has just been found rayed? You to say guess.
Speaker 6: And I've been following the story, and so I agree with you.
Speaker 2: On a property where the husband's business does drilling.
Speaker 6: It certainly would make him a person of interest. It would certainly make him a person at law enforce it wants to speak with thoroughly. Do his timeline Arrens may lead to they but that information. Listen, you remember Richard Jewel, the alleged Olympics bomber cover of Time magazine as the the you know, the evil guy, wrong, wrong man.
Speaker 2: You had to dig deep, didn't You had to go all the way back to the what was that the nineteen ninety six Olympics to find an example of somebody that was charged.
Speaker 3: It was that's digging deep.
Speaker 1: Ray Well, I was.
Speaker 6: I was trying to find something from your elementary scho days that you would remember back in school.
Speaker 9: And here I.
Speaker 2: Believe that was about the second grade when that happened. So bottom line, what's your advice check? So you're arguing against he's the last person with her. I guess you want to drag out his last statement that he made, his public statement I love the baby. Already looking at the little baby boys sonogram. Now you know, Ray, there's an unborn baby. There's Celeste Abela.
Speaker 3: Now you know what.
Speaker 6: If you if he was my client, he would be duct taped in a closet in my law office and not making these kind of statements. Look, I agree with you. Uh, this is a guy that law enforcement should absolutely focus on, but build their case slowly and steadily. You know, there's there's a timeline, there's physical evidence, and you know also nowadays there are so many cameras, so many ways to track vehicles. I mean, I just was involved in a case where we were able to clear my client through an alibi that he wasn't at the scene of a crime from an ATM camera on the other side of town where he actually was using the ATM to withdraw some money, And so we had a timestamp, We had video of him putting in his card and getting his two hundred dollars at the same time, it was alleged he was Crosstown and if you know Atlanta, getting cross town ain't easy. So there are so many ways to track this the murderer, whoever it may be. I would bet you there's security cameras around this oil refinery. Those are places nowadays that are high security because of terrorist risks and other things. Cell phones can be tracked to the cell towers. I think I just saw something on the news the other day that Google has the tracking system that they haven't told us about that we all have in our phone.
Speaker 3: So you know, I'm so not concerned about Google tractic.
Speaker 1: Crime stories with Nancy Grace.
Speaker 2: The photos just released show the clothing Shanan was wearing when her body was dumped, a filthy shirt, her bra, her underwear now behind bars. Watts blames his sex affair with Nicole Kessinger, calling her a harlot and an evil woman. Right, it's her fault, Watts, give it up. I agree with Shenan's mother. You are the Antichrist, and this is why take a listen to this.
Speaker 4: Her flight got delayed from Arizona because like other storms around the nation, So you're supposed to get home, like eleven, She got home at like one forty eight. She came home from the airport two am, and I left around five point fifteen. She's still here. And like about twelve ten in that afternoon, her friend Nicole showed up at the door. Like I had texted a few times, I called her, say, you know, but she never got back to me. But she doesn't getting back to any of her people as well. And that's what really concerned a lot of people, is like she's not getting back to her Like she doesn't get back to me. That's fine, Like she gets busy during the day, but she gets back to her people, which was very concerning. And Nicole called me when she was out the door, and that's when they came home and then walked in the house and nothing is vanished.
Speaker 3: Nothing was here.
Speaker 4: I mean, she wasn't she wasn't here, the kids weren't here, nobody was here.
Speaker 3: I just want them back, I just I just want them to come back.
Speaker 4: And if if they're not safe right now, that's what's that's what's tearing me apart, because if they are safe, they're come back. But if they're not, this this this has got to stop. Like somebody has to come forward.
Speaker 2: You are hearing the sound of husband and father, thirty three year old Christopher Watts, begging for the return of his wife, Shannon, his two little children, Bella and Celeste, and his unborn baby boy. And just before that, he he had posted loving messages to wife Shannon when she sends him an ultrasound showing the progress of their third baby. Quote little peanut, exclamation, exclamation, love her slash hymn already, he wrote in response to seeing that ultrasound image. Now she the loving wife, shares the exchange on Facebook the very same day, quote, I love Chris, He's the best dad of us girls could ask for. Right now, that husband Christopher Watts under suspicion and the disappearance and death of his wife and two children. The police remaining tight lip regarding the cause of death, but we are hearing from police sources they do believe Shannon and the two baby girls were murdered in the home. Their bodies disposed of at an obscure drilling location with the oil company the dad worked with and a Darco.
Speaker 3: Listen to this.
Speaker 11: At this point, we have been able to recover a body that we're quite certain is shanan watch body. We have a strong reason to believe that we know where the bodies of the children are and recovery efforts are.
Speaker 2: In process on that and in the last hours a stunning development in the search and the discovery of those bodies. Take a listen to the police Sergeant Ian Albert.
Speaker 3: They're in Frederick, Colorado.
Speaker 12: To give you some background, the Frederick Police Department receives a missing person call just excuse me just before two pm on Monday, August twenty thirty, twenty eighteen. Our Adiency launched investigation, conducting interviews neighborhood chemises in an effort to locate Shanan and the two girls, Belle and celest We also contacted the FBI and the CBI to assist in this case. In addition into providing investigative agents and crime scene responders, a missing excuse me, a missing endangered alert was announced on Tuesday afternoon. Fredick p D conducted additional canvases where flyers featuring Shenan Celestian Bellow were distributed to Revy. Finally, in the late hours of Wednesday evening, the husband, Chris Watts, was taken into custody and was transported to the wal Kenny jail just after three pm last night. He is currently scheduled for a bond hearing later today.
Speaker 3: And there you have it.
Speaker 2: The husband has just been for arrested. There will be a bond hearing regarding this case the wife and the.
Speaker 3: Two little girls.
Speaker 8: Dad.
Speaker 2: I've got a theory, Joe Scott Morgan, and I'm going to think about what you and doctor Michelle do pre medical examiner, I have to say on this he's alone with the girls for several days while mommy's out of town working bringing in all the money she comes home. Has he already killed the girls? Because if you're having an argument with the mom, why kill the children too? How would we be able to tell that from the crime scene, Joseph Scott Morgan.
Speaker 10: What's going to happen, Nancy, is you're going to couple the findings at the crime scene relative to these If these children had been down for several days, there might be evidence to the fact that, as hard as it is to say that these kids may have begun to decompose in the house at some point in time. And then you couple that, you couple that with any kind of what to referred to as postmortem changes that have taken place in the bodies, and they find them out at the scene at this Antadarko refinery or I think that it's probably natural gas wellheads. This is a vast area that he would have knowledge of, Nancy, and that's going to be very important to this case. And so this is all going to tie back together with what happened in that period of time when she when these kids were last seen, and when they were found, coupled with the findings on her body, because the two time the timelines are not going to be the same, all right, Because if she comes home and these kids are missing, an argument ensues, maybe he's already gotten rid of the kids, maybe he's already killed the kids. At this point, her body, for lack of a better term, will be fresher than these poor little angels.
Speaker 2: Too, Doctor Michelle Dupre, pathologist and medical examiner. Specifically, how would I be able to prove if Watts murdered the two children first and then the wife comes home from out of town, and how would I be able to prove that?
Speaker 3: Or could I?
Speaker 7: Yes, we should be able to creed that. And again, as what was just said, we look at the state of the body, and by comparison we can tell who died earlier than the other by the post mortem changes. We also look at the totality of circumstances, and we look at the crime scene itself. There may be clues there. We can look at blood pooling, we can look at different forensic evidence to help us determine those things, and then.
Speaker 3: We put it all together.
Speaker 5: But mostly the key.
Speaker 7: Is going to be looking at both bodies and compare them.
Speaker 2: Christopher Once, the husband, says the last time he saw his wife was at five point fifteen a m.
Speaker 3: When he leaves for work.
Speaker 2: He also says the two stayed up late, having an emotional conversation after she got home from out of town at one a m.
Speaker 3: Late night.
Speaker 2: Sounds like a red I flight back home. He says he got worried when she did not reply to a text messages that morning, and then he began to panic after a friend came to the home around noontime and there was no answer. Shanan was fifteen weeks pregnant carrying a baby boy who she planned to name Nico at this hour. Christopher Watts, a husband, is being held without bill in the Will County jail. He's due in court for a bond hearing. No formal charges have been filed. He was arrested on accounts of murder and three counts of tampering with evidence. Ellen Calaura and investigative journalists with crime online dot Com. I assume the three tampering cases.
Speaker 3: Deal with moving the bodies.
Speaker 5: That would certainly be the implication. And I'm also seeing, and this is really horrible.
Speaker 13: But I'm also seeing that the bodies of the girls, presumably the two little girls, were found inside an oil container or an oil vat, and I've seen speculation that that could have been done intentionally to conceal any smell.
Speaker 3: Oh, Ellen, Ellen, that's a new fact for me.
Speaker 2: And you know, I was trying to put together a photo album late last night because I'm so so far behind, and then I got to looking at photos, Ellen, and then I ended up with the children at ages two and three. You know, that's a long time ago, and they're so tiny, They're so tiny, And to think of those little children down in an oil vat.
Speaker 3: Is that what you said, some type of a vat, Yeah.
Speaker 9: An oil container or an oil vat, yeah, but whatever it is filled with oil.
Speaker 2: The CBI Colorado Bureau of Investigation say our has found the body of sNaN Watts, three days after she was reported missing on property owned by Anadarko Petroleum where the husband worked.
Speaker 3: He has since been released from his job.
Speaker 2: At the time they found her body, I recall e K that they mentioned something about having strong reason to believe they know where the bodies of the two daughters, Bella and Celeste are. They didn't find them in the same place as the mom Ellen mm hmmm.
Speaker 9: That's right, and we don't know what that means in terms of the timeline, but I think that couple that that coupled with the fact that he reportedly gave a confession, that must have been how they found the bodies.
Speaker 5: It seems to me that that's that he led them.
Speaker 2: And don't worry, he'll find a way to appeal. Just give him time, we wait as justice unfolds. Nancy Grace Crime Story is signing off p myself.
Speaker 10: Persis