Speaker 1: It's I do a Part two with your celebrity mentor Kelly Clin mets On. So I'm talking to one of my producers, Feather today and we are talking about a guy that they set me up with Amy Sugarman and had their Monday set me up with this really great guy, and I can't wait to tell you every thing.
Speaker 2: I Kelly have there.
Speaker 3: So first of all, we have to dive in because I believe you had a phone date with mister Tennis. And if you don't know who mister Tennis is or what we're talking about, you definitely need to go back and listen to the last episode where we gave all the intel on that. But okay, so first of all, you had your phone date with mister Tennis. Tell me everything.
Speaker 1: Okay, So miss stro Tennis, we were supposed to talk last night. I was working until like eight thirty and we were supposed to talk last night. He's in LA and I'm in New York and he was like, no problem, So hoop number one. I was like, you have a certain amount of time to talk to me. No problem, he called. I had my phone on silent because I was doing a podcast, so my phone on silent, so I didn't see his call, and I was like watching like some TV show and I looked at my phone and I was like, I'm just going to text him. And it was literally like twelve forty five in the morning here, and I'm just like, hi, sorry, I mister, your phone call my you know my phone. I was like, I just want to let him. I just wanted to let him know that I was responding because he had made the effort and I wanted him to know, like, you know, I'm a I'm a I'm a lot of things, but I'm not a jerk, and so like I'm going to just respond and be like, hey, sorry, my phone was literally on silent, but I'm up, so if you want to talk. And then I was like talk question mark. And then I'm like I just got to call him. So I called him left to have a.
Speaker 2: Message, so then he didn't answer.
Speaker 1: He didn't answer. But this is something I never ever ever. First of all, I'm not a phone person. I'm a texting person, so you know, this is like so out of my wheelhouse. But I was just like it's fine. And then I was like, let's talk tomorrow morning.
Speaker 2: Wait wait, wait, go back did you leave him a message when you called him on the phone.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I said, let's speak tomorrow morning because I have to leave for to go skiing at eleven you know New York times, And so he was like, okay, I'll call you at seven thirty LA time. I was like, wow, okay, Like it's the holiday week, it's a big week for people. Most people are off, and I just thought it was really great that he was just like hoop one, number one, hoop number two, like didn't care, like it's just like a problem.
Speaker 3: I also really liked the pace of communication. Right, he's not leaving you on red, he's not not returning you know all those kind of tropes that people think that you have to do in the dating scene. You have to wait three days to call somebody back, or wait two hours before you respond to a text. He's not doing any of that, you know what I mean? Which I love. I love this, So way to go, mister Tennis. Okay, so tell me then what happens.
Speaker 1: So we start to talk, and he's very you can tell immediately he's a very educated human just by the way he talks, how he talks the subject matter.
Speaker 2: What did you think of his voice.
Speaker 3: When you heard his voice on the other end of that call, Was it like deep and sexy? Was it like, I don't know what did he sound like?
Speaker 1: You can tell that he talks a lot on the phone. He's got a great like game on the phone. Okay, charismatic, very easy on the phone. Again, like I'm a Texter, Like I can text you and till you're blue in the face, but to talk to me on the phone, I'm like, oh my god, Okay, I like it for some reason, you know, because he was vetted by you and Amy. I just feel like I just want to be open with him too, and so this is something I would never do. But he I was just like, I need you to know who I am from my mouth so that we can just like have fun. And he was like, okay. It was like, shoot, tell me whatever. And so I told him about you know, not getting married and why and you know, not that I'm like, you know, money hungry. I just was protecting my kids. And so we had a really really nice conversation about all of that, and we talked about his kids, and we talked about his ex wife. We talked about where he grew up, and you know, his parents have been together for my parents were together, so we had a lot of like common upbringing, which I think means a lot to people. You know, He's like, I'm I like to play tennis, I'm an athlete. I'm like, I have athletic tendencies. But I wouldn't say I'm like an athlete. I just am like, you know, I like to go for a run. That doesn't mean I'm, like, you know, an all star athlete. But he's just got a lot of the similar we have, like a similar upbringing, which really makes things like it was just very easy to communicate with him. I thought I was talking to someone I had known for a long time.
Speaker 3: Okay, was there flirting happening on the phone.
Speaker 1: It was like I wouldn't say I was like a flirting, but I was like doing things I wouldn't normally do, Like I made a coffee and I was just talking to him like I was. I wasn't sitting down. And then I got my picked my dogs up, but I took them to the walked them to the dog park. We're outside, and I was just like it was like a real life conversation, which normally again like if I'm if anyone is taking me on a date or trying to talk to me, I'm usually really really buttoned up because I'm like they have all these preconceived notions. They think I'm crazy, they think I'm this They like, you know, why isn't she be married after all this time? What's wrong with her? So like I just like self sabotage myself, like crazy, and so I just don't say anything, which makes a lot of guys think that I'm like you know, they're like they're get they get mixed messages because I'm friendly, but then I'm super reserved. So they're like you are like you have so many you know, barriers and boundaries.
Speaker 2: Was he flirting with you?
Speaker 1: I think he was just trying to like get a sense of like who I am, what I what my what my possibilities are, Like I mean, obviously he lives in California. Obviously I live in New York, so like what does that look like? I think he was just like Okay, he was like, you're a real You're a cool chick. He's like, and I don't mean that, Like he's like, you're just like really cool, easy and fun, and like I'm like, I'm just I'm just ready for my next chapter, like really ready, and I know people are like my second chapter is going to be like this. I don't have any preconceived notions of like what that looks like. I just know that I don't I want to be in an environmenthere I can trust someone and I can just like feel good about feeling good. Like that's my whole twenty twenty five forward thinking.
Speaker 3: So tell me, like, did you guys make plans for your first date in real life?
Speaker 1: Yes, well, he says to me, very sweet. He was like, you know, he was like, I know you're talking about me, and I'm like, yeah, I'm talking about you because I want the world to know. First of all, one reason that I'm talking about this in real time is because I want the world to know that there's nothing wrong with being vulnerable, and there's nothing wrong with taking a risk, and there's nothing wrong with doing something you might necessarily think that's not the right thing for you because it doesn't check all those boxes that everyone's checking. And so I don't need to check a box. I just want to enjoy my life. I've raised my kids on my own, I've like gotten more degrees and licenses than I know what to do with I. You know, I have this like laundry list of like all of these accolades, but I don't have trust. So what am I going to do? Like, am I going to lay in my casket with like my real estate licenses? Or am I going to be smiling and happy?
Speaker 2: I vote for smiling and happy, me too, thank you. And also in.
Speaker 3: Twenty twenty five, right, it's about, like you said, doing things that you know, maybe you normally wouldn't do. Maybe you normally wouldn't dat a guy that's on the other side of the country, but maybe we just need to switch it up a bit, you know, and try something new. And it's not like he never comes to New York. He has not only reason now, but he also works there. So it kind of makes sense in you know, an interesting way. I think that there's a lot here. So wait, so go back, tell me about what's the plan for the first date.
Speaker 1: So he's like, we're definitely doing something in the new year. And he was like, you know, your offices are at iHeart and my offices are right around the corner. And he also works with someone in it. He works in the entertainment space and so and one of my really close friends when I went to college with does something similar. So he understands like my life and he understands too, you know when you're like when I tell people that I started modeling when I was fifteen, they're like, oh wow. I'm like no, no, no, no no no wow. Like no, like teaching yourself Latin at fifteen, because you're like traveling to Mauritius with you know, by yourself. Like that's not a wow, that's a okay, Like that was your path. That's like when you had like someone that was like on television when they were younger, It's like that's part of their narrative. It's not a wow, it's like a oh, well, you had the opportunity and some people do things with it and some people don't. And he really kind of understood that it's been really challenging for me to continue to pivot to provide for my kids. And he was very like, very very very sweet and very understanding.
Speaker 3: What would you say was like your favorite part of the conversation? Like what are you taking away from Like that? Was there a moment?
Speaker 2: Was there? Did he make you laugh?
Speaker 3: Was there a story he told you about himself that you were like, I think this is why I want to talk or get to know mister Tennis a little bit more.
Speaker 1: I want to go get to know mister Tennis a little bit more because he spoke about when his kids were young and he got divorced and instead of moving into like, you know, an equally big house, he moved into a smaller apartment and he was with his kids in this environment that was a far away from you know, where his ex wife was, because he wanted his children to have their home. And to this day he's like his two kids are like, oh my god, remember when we lived there, and how much fun that was. And I really appreciate the fact that he got divorced and made a concerted effort to ensure like the genuine wellness of his children by like having a small environment so that everyone was together and it was like a big hug. And I know what that feels like because I'm in that hug space right now with my little apartment. I love being here. I mean, I just love it. And so it was just really just felt good, just felt good to hear that from men. And it wasn't like I'm a single parent and I do everything my ex one wife was not that. It was all about how he could make his children feel safe.
Speaker 3: And what do you think about dating a guy long distance that also has kids that are maybe not as old as your kids, Like, what do you think about that?
Speaker 1: So I always wanted like a farm of children. I love love kids, And that's one of my biggest regrets is that I didn't have more kids. And I know my two girls would be like mom, but I really I love children. I just really appreciate them, their minds and just like I just love children so much, and so I wish that I had had more. I just wasn't with the right peaceeople that I was in an environment where I could, you know, be what you know, make have more children. So I really regret that. So that's one thing. And to hear him talk about his kids just really made me like very happy. And I love that. I love that I'm a Almi bear. That's like who I am, Like, yeah, that's my first, that's my first. You know, people are like, I'm a multi heights in it. I'm like, I guess i am, but I'm not really, I'm I'm a bear.
Speaker 2: I think that's great.
Speaker 3: And I love that you guys are connecting on something that is so foundational to both of you, right, which is being a parent, being an active parent in your kids' lives. I think that's really amazing. Tell me, so we're going to have our first.
Speaker 2: I R L date in the new year. I love that.
Speaker 3: But between now and then, what's the plan are you do? You guys have another phone date set up? I know you're about to leave on a ski trip. Like what what are you thinking about doing or what's the next step?
Speaker 1: Well, he was just very sweet too, and he was like listen, He's like I want to talk to you. He's like, you know, I know you're gonna be in Vermont with your kids, but like I'm here and I'd love to talk to you and call you and send me pictures and you know, it's everything safe with me. You can do you know, whatever you want to do, you can't. I mean, obviously, just like not being weird, but he was just like he loved the fact that I sent him a little video with Tarzan and I I love it.
Speaker 3: Can I make a suggestion for the fun Okay, let's think about this. Maybe it's when you're in Vermont maybe it's a little uh like opery ski, little wine face time or something together. You know, maybe the kids are off doing something and Kelly's back at the lodge by herself. Or maybe it's like a little I don't know, a fond due date FaceTime or a little cooking like maybe you're cooking dinner and you have him on FaceTime and like he's chatting with you about like your day on the slopes or something like. I think it's I don't think it's inappropriate now that there's been an initial great phone call to then follow that up with like a cute little FaceTime mini date prior to the IRL date.
Speaker 1: I love that. It was interesting too, is that he was like I know that there's you're probably dating and talking to a lot of people, which I was like okay, and he was just like I just like hope that you like wait for me and like so I can meet you, Kelly.
Speaker 2: I am dead.
Speaker 3: That is so excuse me, mister Tennis. Mister Tennis. That is such a gentleman line. That is I just asked you if there was flirting. That is flirting. It's like not like yes, that is like laying it down. That is literally like, I understand that you are a high value woman, because that is what he's saying by saying that there are other men in your aura. Is I acknowledge you are a high value woman, and I want you to know that I am interested in you. So I hope you don't forget about me like a girl. I know this is calear communication. There is no gray area with this man. Mister Tennis is interested.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: I love this, Kelly. You sent the universe.
Speaker 3: You're like, this is what we've talked about, right, like using this podcast to put out to the world what you want. Right. So the first thing you did was you wrote a letter to your dear future husband. And now we're watching the ripple effects of that huge moment where you put it all out. There is now coming back to you.
Speaker 2: This is so exciting.
Speaker 1: When we started, I was very guarded. I was super insecure. I was so embarrassed. I was I was embarrassed. I was humiliated. I felt like I had, like, you know, hurt someone else. I felt like I had harmed my children. Like there was just so much It's not like negativity, it's just like there was so much. There were so many feelings that were so raw and real, and I don't feel like that anymore. I don't feel like there's hurt. I feel like my kids are happy and healthy and excited about things. You know, just it just feels good to be an environment that's like happy, and you know, who knows, who knows if it's going to be mister Tennis, But I do know that I'm on the right path to meeting that special human.
Speaker 2: You definitely are.
Speaker 3: And what I love about this is that mister Tennis is being extremely clear right Like a lot of the time I think we hear in dating stories, especially early on, it's about like playing games, or it's about like am I. We talked about this in the last episode, about like am I texting too much? Am I not texting enough? And all of that, And he is just being clear and concise with all of his communication. He is saying, I understand you're busy. I still want to see you. I understand that you have a lot going on. I'd still like to talk to you. I understand that you have maybe other suitors or men pursuing you. I'm interested in you. Like he is laying it all out there, which I think is really wonderful, and I think like this is a really great start to something special. So I think all of I speak for all of us listeners as well, that we can't wait to hear about what the next mister Tennis update is. But definitely keep us, you know, informed as to what happens. And you know, we would we can't wait to have you go on your first IRL date, Like that's going to be really exciting.
Speaker 1: But don't you think it's strange? You know? He said to me, Sorry, didn't interrupt you, but he said to me too, he was like, normally I wouldn't do this. I wouldn't try to make a plan with you. You're you know, like to see you fly across the country and see you for a certain for you know, for an hour or you know. I wouldn't do those things if I did, if it weren't if I weren't vetted by a friend. And I was like when he said that, I was like, that's so true, because he was like, if I'd met you on RYE or something like that, I wouldn't do that. And I know a lot of people that do, like get on planes and do all that stuff, and like that's amazing, And I love that sense of adventure, but like, I'm not that kind of person, Like I'm I'm not like I would never do I would never get on a plane to meet somewhere.
Speaker 3: We're both doing something out of your comfort zone. But I think it goes back to what we were talking about in the last episode, right, which is like we all need to get out of our comfort zone and do things that are a little bit different if we want to see different results. And on top of it, we're also turning to the core people in our lives, right for those kinds of great people. So I think a lot of us are getting stuck in this white mentality and then being frustrated by you know, those not turning out well. But when we go to our actual people in our lives who know us and also know other great people, that's where really fantastic love connections can happen. Or if it's not a love connection, maybe you're just starting twenty twenty five off really nice and having your faith and men reinstilled, because mister Tennis is being like a real gentleman and you thus far haven't had a lot of really great gentlemen in your life in recent years, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: In the dating scene.
Speaker 3: So it's nice that he's, if anything, he's reinforcing that faith that there are good guys out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, I just want to be open and follow lead with my heart, like I don't want to be like And I told him this, and I said, you know, I've been hiding behind all this work, and even Cheryl and I talk about like we're so busy, and we're so busy. I'm working, I'm providing la la da da. Like the reason that we the reason that I say that is because it protects me, because why would I want to be open and trust my heart with someone when I've had so many times before where my heart has been broken.
Speaker 3: So when you were talking to mister Tennis, did your connection to Cheryl ever come up in the conversation.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh my gosh, I spoke to Cheryl yesterday and she told me that you guys went on a date. And what he said he was like, yeah, he's like she's celibate. And I was like, okay, I'm like, but that was, you know, that was a while ago. She's you know, she's amazing, she's so great. And he was like, yeah, she is so great and he was said so many really really complimentary things about her.
Speaker 2: But he's like, I like you, I love that.
Speaker 1: That's amazing, thank you. She's beautiful and amazing. I love Cheryl. But he just said that. I said, well, don't worry about I said, I said, you know, she did comment that you were having a hard time picking a meal. I said, don't worry about. I'll hope you picked the meal.
Speaker 2: This is amazing. I'm so excited for you, Kelly.
Speaker 3: You have to definitely keep me and all the listeners updated on your journeys tennis.
Speaker 2: This is amazing. Have so much fun. I can't wait to hear more.
Speaker 1: I'm excited to just again, like it just feels good to feel good, and I want everyone just to feel good. I just I just do. I mean, if I could give the world a huge hug, I would, so, you know, for twenty twenty five, I think we in the in the spirit of love, we need to set each other up with me, with people with friends and family, co workers, Facebook, friends, whatever. It is, like, hey, you know I know someone he just just got divorced, or someone you know might be really good for you. You know, let people be the matchmaker and you know, match with people that you know, because because this world of just being out there, Yeah it's interesting because you're gonna be someone that you wouldn't know. But I think that that we're missing out on these real strong connections because people are just afraid to match make and you're not going to lose a friend. Your friend's gonna like maybe she needs to work on herself because you know, or he needs to work on hisself. It has nothing to do with you. You're just like matching and removing and whatever happens happens.
Speaker 2: I love it so much fun Kelly, this is great.
Speaker 1: Thanks Heather. I can't wait to clue you guys into everything that happens on my journey with mister Tennis, and I will definitely keep you updated in real time. So if you listeners want any kind of a dating advice, call us, email us. All the information is in the show notes and I'm just really excited to share all of the new information that I've learned. So where I do Part two an iHeartRadio podcast, We're falling in Love is the main objective.