Speaker 1: What's that at the bed?
Speaker 2: It's spooky and you keep I'm pretty sure it's dead. Kid's coming this way.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, hal said.
Speaker 2: Hyros dresss e police, Hey boo, it's your girl, ros Dress fales Hi. I have been all over the country the past couple of weeks, having the time of my life with our guest today, Peaches christ and I actually spent a couple of days in northern California, and of course, like always, I'm saying to all the local folks, hey, where's where's the ghost spots? Where can I go to find some ghosts? And everyone's like, you gotta go to the Winchester Mystery House.
Speaker 1: Did I know?
Speaker 2: Because I didn't have a car and I didn't feel like for a lift all the way out there. But I want to talk about it, the Winchester Mystery House.
Speaker 1: Have you been there?
Speaker 2: Well, one of our listeners has and they actually sent me this fabulous review and they included a story about the Winchester Mystery House. And you can also tell me your ghost stories for me to read on the air, simply by writing them in a review a five star review on Apple Podcasts, or you could actually send me an email as well at ghostedbyras at gmail dot com. This one comes from Sharon Hurt. I was taking a tour of the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose, California. We were in the carriage hallway at the backsteps of the original farmhouse. I was at the back of the tour group, and suddenly I got that feeling you get in a crowd where someone is standing in your space but not touching. Oh do I know that, well, Gonnie. I looked over my shoulder and I saw a man about five foot six with dark hair and a mustache. Hmm, okay, could be my type. I don't know. He met my eyes and smiled at me. Ooh girl, he was trying to share with you. I smiled back and moved a step away from him because I thought he was part of the tour and I had been on that tour once before, so I was trying to give him room to see better. When I looked back at him, he was gone. I found out years later that there have been several reports of people seeing workmen who apparently died while working on the house. Okay, so what is the Winchester Mystery House. It's why I haven't been but it looks so cool according to the Internet, and I've heard from many people that have been there that it's something you gotta check out if you're ever in the San Jose, California area. There's All So, a movie that came out in twenty eighteen that started Helen Mirren as Sarah Winchester. So I don't know if it's worth the watch. I looked it up on Google and it had like an eighteen percent on Rotten Tomatoes. But you know, Helen Mirren gotta love Helen Mirren. I'm sure she's amazing in it. So the story starts in ps. I went to Prairie Ghost dot com, which is a great resource, and this is what they told me. Starts out with Sarah Pardi par Dee. That's a great last name, Sarah Party. She's from New Haven, Connecticut. She was four foot ten. She was beautiful. According to the website. She had a personality and loveliness. It really sounds like she was that type where it's like all the girls wanted to be her and all the guys wanted to be with her. She said what everyone wanted to say but was too afraid to. I didn't say that, but it just seemed like it seemed like she was that kind of person. Sarah Party. Now, at the same time in New Haven, William worked. Winchester was growing up. He was the son of a businessman who made a fortune because he obtained assets to affirm that that had that created the gun with the volcanic repeater, which made it much easier to load and fire guns. They eventually developed the Henry rifle, which was the first gun that was really you know, at this time they had the muskets and the you know, and you had to pack the thing in and all that. This this was a gun where you could shoot an average shot every three seconds. So this was huge. So that of course they made a fortune. It was one of the favorites among the Northern troops in the Civil War. They ended up changing the name to Winchester Repeating Arms Company. Now, in September thirtieth, eighteen sixty two, at the height of the Civil War, William and Sarah married. So she goes from this is the after party, after party, she goes from Sarah Party to Sarah Winchester. Four years later they had a daughter and sadly she died. The daughter died of a children's disease called miramus, which it sounds horrible.
Speaker 1: God.
Speaker 2: Apparently the body just wastes away. So of course she's completely devastated. And then her husband, William dies, he has a pulmonary tuberculosis. Now she ends up inheriting over twenty million dollars. We're talking eighteen hundreds twenty million dollars and forty eight point nine percent of Winchester Repeating Arms Company, and she got about one thousand dollars a day. But you know, she's still grieving. It's terrible, terrible loss because actually her husband had at that point become the heir to the Winchester Repeating Arms Company fortune. So she's grieving. She goes to a psychic after a friend suggests it. Psychic says, your husband is here. He says, for me to tell you that there is a curse on your family which took the life of your child. It will soon take you too. It is a curse that has resulted from the terrible weapon created by the Winchester family. Thousands of persons have died because of it, and their spirits are now seeking vengeance. Sarah was then told that she must sell her property in New Haven and head toward the setting sun. She would be guided by her husband. When she found her new home in the west, she would recognize it. You must start a new life, said the medium, and build a house for yourself and for the spirits who have fallen from this town. Terrible weapon. Two. You can never stop building the house. If you continue building, you will live. Stop and you will die. So she sells her home in New Haven. Guided by the hand of her husband, she ends up in Santa Clara Valley, California. Originally it was a six room house that she finds that sits on one hundred and sixty two acres of land. For the next thirty six years, she built and rebuilt, changed and constructed and demolished one section after another. Twenty two carpenters year round twenty four seven. There was banging and sawing NonStop. Now, according to Sharon Hurt, there might have been some workers that died while building this, and they've made some appearances in recent times. Now this house is crazy. Though rooms were added to rooms, they turned, they turned it into entire different way. Wings of the insections of the house were doors joined into windows. The house's seven stories, three elevators, forty seven fireplaces, countless staircases leading to nowhere, blind chimneys that stop at ceilings, closets that open to blank walls, trap doors, double back hallways, doors that opened to steep drops that if you open the door, you would just fall all the way down to the ground. She also had an obsession with the number thirteen. Nearly all the windows contained thirteen panes of glass, the walls had thirteen panels, Many of the wooden floors contained thirteen sections. Some of the rooms had thirteen windows, and every staircase but one had thirteen steps. So nineteen oh six, the Great San Francisco earthquake hits, the top three floors collapse, the fireplace in the room where Sarah was sleeping collapse, trapping her inside. Now she's convinced that this earthquake was a sign from the spirits that were furious because she had nearly completed building this gigantic mansion. To ensure that the house was never finished, because again, remember, she can't stop building it, or these ghosts are gonna kill her to ensure that the house is never finished. Because you have to remember, if she ever stopped building this house, the ghosts are gonna kill her. She ends up boarding up the front thirty front thirty rooms, and she also apparently did that to trap the spirits that had fallen from the earthquake inside of that room, to keep them in because these spirits, I guess were not the kind like a walk through walls. Nineteen twenty two, at the age of eighty three, she ends up dying in her sleep. The house was sold to investors for a tourist destination. It is now officially a historical landmark in California. Now is it haunted? Was it ever haunted? Who knows? Many psychics say yes, there are some of the spirits still lurking around. Visitors and employees have reported footsteps, banging doors, mysterious voices, windows that bang so hard they shatter, same cold spots. You know, all that, all those great horror story tropes that happen in haunted houses. I would love it if you would visit the Winchester Mystery House, or maybe you have tell me, tell me about your experience. I want to hear it. But since we are doing a Northern California theme show today, I'm gonna send it on over to my favorite spooky historical landmark of Northern California. Beatus christ You guys, I just got back to Los Angeles today because I've been on the road with a hero of mine, an icon, someone that I'm going to say as a mentor, because you said that you're a mentor of mine, So I'm just gonna take that and run with it. I'm honored to call her a friend. She is truly a legendary queen of San Francisco and beyond. She is a director, a writer. She even has her own haunted house attraction that you can go to in San Francisco called the Terror Vault, And we're gonna talk about that later, but first, let me introduce to.
Speaker 1: You Peaches christ Ah.
Speaker 2: Thank you Ross.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: Gosh, there's a long time no see.
Speaker 1: I know, right.
Speaker 2: We've literally been in airports and ubers, hotels, hotels, old theaters. We've been having the time of our lives. We've been doing the show called Mean Gays, which is super cool because if you're not familiar with Peaches, what Peaches geniusly does is she parodies cult films. What was the first one you ever did?
Speaker 1: Oh? God, I mean the first I guess this all started with my midnight mass movie series where we actually did a performance before we screened a cult movie. And that's really the genesis of where this was all born, was.
Speaker 2: The performance based on the movie.
Speaker 1: Yes. Yeah, So the first film we ever screened back in nineteen ninety eight with a performance was Faster Pussycat, Kill Kill.
Speaker 2: I love that movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so good, and we did like an opening number with the three ladies, and then we did a tourists Satana lookalike contest and we did like a little you know, skit, and then we screened the movie. And years later, you know, the show had Midnight Mass had grown big enough that we actually got to invite and work with Turis Atana.
Speaker 2: I love her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was amazing.
Speaker 2: And that movie is so so many good quotes, Like every line is like a quote. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, if you ever wanted to see something that truly inspired John Waters, check out that film. You know, you really see where a lot of his inspiration came from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're such a horror horror queen.
Speaker 1: I love horror.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and you've even directed your own horror film All about Evil, which I love. Where can people find that?
Speaker 1: Well, right now, it's kind of out of print and so they're going online. The international versions are available. We're hoping that with a ten year anniversary, we're going to get like a new look at all about evil and negotiating with the streaming services and all of that. So, but right now it's actually kind of hard to find. So hopefully that'll change in the next year or so.
Speaker 2: It'll be worth it. Yeah, So Peaches, let's talk about ghosts. That is, have you had experiences? Do you believe?
Speaker 1: You know, I do believe, and I believe I've had experiences.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, you're like me, You're were raised a Catholic, and that's a great way to beat the beliefs into your head that there is holy spirits, that there is resurrections.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, every thing. I mean, you know, demons possessing your body, all of that is allowed when you're raised Catholic.
Speaker 2: So what was your first experience?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I since being asked to be on your podcast. It was kind of like searching my brain, and you know, I just remembered that me and this little girl in my neighborhood, you know where I grew up. I grew up in the eighties when kids were allowed to run free, you know, there. There was no no like limit. I mean, I think I had to be home before dark. But as like a little kid, you know, you could explore the woods. You know, you kind of had these boundaries where you couldn't cross this major road or this major road and the you know, hundreds of acres of I'm.
Speaker 2: Picturing the movie.
Speaker 1: It's very like those eighties movies, you know, like Gooni's Poultergeist, you know, et it, what are the New Ones? Stranger things like that, you know, the BMX kids like that was us, you know, and me and this little girl were convinced that we would see this lady and we called her the lady, and you know, she was really spooky, like in our minds, she was uh, we didn't call her a ghost, she was just the lady. But I think we knew that what we were seeing was supernatural.
Speaker 2: So where would you see her?
Speaker 1: Well, often in the woods. But then I'll remember very specifically, and she wore all black and she was.
Speaker 2: Sorry if you see anything any human in the woods, and you're just in the woods and there's another human that's already terrifying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And she would creep out from behind a tree or you know, she would she would you know, appear off in the distance and maybe you know, look like a tree, but then be the lady and uh. And we would tell our parents about the lady, and we would draw pictures of the lady, and our parents would convince us that we just had really active imaginations. Of course, growing up the weirdo that I was, you know, my parents thought everything I was interested in was bizarre, you know, because I loved spooky stuff from the time I was really little. Yeah, so they just kind of dismissed it. But there was once that I'm convinced. I went down in the basement of our house. And the basement wasn't at the time a finished basement. It was kind of, you know, a storage like a scary basement, a storage space for old stuff. And there was a couch down there, and I just remember going down there. I don't know why, maybe we you know, kept toys and stuff down there, bigger toys. And the lady was behind the couch and like stood up from behind it and like looked at me, and I just remember like running up the stairs screaming and screaming and you know, telling my mother, the lady's down there. The lady's down there, and you know, my parents again of course convincing me that it was my imagination. Now as an adult being asked to be on your pot podt, I haven't thought about the lady in many, many, many years, but I did think, oh, yeah, you know, maybe there was something to that, Maybe there was someone there. Why did me and this other girl share this imagination? Like did we really convince each other we were seeing the same thing?
Speaker 2: Or what happened to that girl?
Speaker 1: She's you know, I've seen her on Facebook. I mean, maybe I should reach out to her and ask her if she remembers the lady.
Speaker 2: Like do you guys keep in touch, because that could be a very weird, like.
Speaker 1: We do it very like our sisters are closer friends, so you know, we don't really keep in touch. But I mean, it'd be very easy for me to reach out to her.
Speaker 2: That would be interesting to me. Did you ever think that that lady was a ghost or a witch?
Speaker 1: Well that's the thing. So years later, a friend of mine contacted me about being part of a movie they were going to shoot in Maryland, And when she described what the movie was, I remember thinking, oh my god, this is a movie. The Lady like other people in Maryland have experienced the Lady, like they know the Lady. I remember as a young adult thinking the Lady was real because of this this movie that my friend was gonna make. And of course I was like, I'd love to come back from San Francisco, but your extremely low budget movie doesn't sound like it's gonna be much fun to shoot, because they were going to be filming in the woods with no trailers, you know, sleeping in tents, and of course the movie sounded like it wouldn't go anywhere. And you know what movie I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Star Wars.
Speaker 1: No, it was the Blair Witch Project.
Speaker 2: In your defense, that sounds like a terrible experience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean because.
Speaker 2: There was nothing had really been like that. You know, that kind of started that found footage phenomenon. As far as I know, it's true, and so yeah, if I would have heard that, I'd be like, have fun with your mosquitoes.
Speaker 1: You know, I actually did really consider it, because you know, I was just so hungry to make movies, and I studied filmmaking and you know, was making short films in San Francisco at the time. I was running a movie theater Ironically, the movie theater that a year later had the exclusive engagement in Northern California of the Player Witch Project.
Speaker 2: Was the movie Theater Haunted.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I actually believe that most of these old buildings have spiritual presence.
Speaker 2: They have to. I have never been to a theater that's not haunted. However, we were just doing a tour exclusively in old, amazing movie houses and performance venues, in silent movie houses where we were performing, and the people that I talked to, most of them were like, yeah, we hear sounds, but like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were well, so I having worked in old theaters, so I ran this movie theater in San Francisco called the Bridge Theater before that, when I first started with Landmark Theaters, that's the company I worked for, who at the time was really the largest exhibitor of foreign film and American independent cinema in the country. They had a lot of acquisitions where they had taken over old, abandoned cinemas or cinemas that people no longer wanted to operate. So here they still have the new art, you know, And at the time they had a lot of old cinemas. Now, since then the model has been to create multi screen theaters and kind of compete with the sort of mainstream exhibitors. But back then, like the company was really a chain of old, beat up, run down art house movie theaters.
Speaker 2: Something I love so much about that. I said that to you when we were I think, where was the Chicago the Patio theater?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the past show.
Speaker 2: Outside of Chicago, and I that's what I was just sitting there looking around, and there's something I just love about something that's so grand but no longer in its heyday, but still feel amazing, this beautiful relic of something that like was fabulous.
Speaker 1: You know that people would go to see movies in these beautiful palaces, and now we go see movies in blank boxes, you know, with refliners or whatever. But back then, going to the movies was all part of going to a show, and the theater itself, the cinema was part of the show. Yeah, it's not like that anymore, not too much. But anyway, my feeling, having worked in so many of these spaces is that while one or two of them was like haunted in the traditional poultrygeist sense, you know, you'd hear you know, it's like almost like the walls were bleeding, you know thing.
Speaker 2: It's always in the projection room. You see a little shadow.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well most of them, though, I would say, and people who work in theaters had an energy and you could describe it to each other. And I think the fact that a lot of us, especially as managers, were in these buildings at one two in the morning, you know, counting money, locking up the safe, locking the building, and they're big and going through and closing a projection room and turning all the lights off. You when you talk to enough people and you have the same sense of a place that's more than just you know what's physically there, there's a spiritual presence. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And that's like with your friend as a kid. I mean, you have a shared experience like that. It legitimizes it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, I mean there was so the Bridge where I worked for many many years. Whatever spirits were there, and I do believe there were, they were really nurturing and loving. They were happy to have us there. You wanted to spend time in the bridge. It was really really a nice place to be. It felt comfortable, it was warm feeling. The Lumiere Theater over in California Street the opposite you did not want to be there alone late at night. It felt very, very creepy. Something was lurking around every corner. It was just an unpleasant place to be. What we found out later was the Lumiere sat over partially an old morgue and funeral home, so I think that there was something to that. Probably, Wait, but how old was the theater it was? It wasn't as old as the bridge, which was built in nineteen thirty nine, so Lumiere was probably in the later forties or fifties.
Speaker 2: But there was a morgue before that.
Speaker 1: Well, so this restaurant that's underneath the Lumire and next to it used to be a morgue. So they did exist together at one time, the Dead Bodies and the cinema. Yeah, and then there was another cinema where we worked where it wasn't a feeling as much as it was like, did you hear that door slam? Did you leave that door open? Did you hear that screaming? Was that projector on? Why did it just turn off? You know? Stuck like that? Was the Belmont Theater, which has since been not demolished, but it's transitioned into a rock climbing center, which I'm like, I don't want to go rock climbing in there because someone's gonna push you off the wall.
Speaker 2: You know, why do you in your do you have a theory why theaters are haunted? Hmmm, good question, because it seems like they're always haunted.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean maybe again, imagination might be part of it, you know, uh where maybe we're more open to experiencing, you know, we want theaters to be haunted because there's such dramatic, fabulous spaces. They're you know, they're they're dark, you know, they're they're they we live in the shadows and these spaces, and you know, there's just sort of a dramatic narrative already built into the idea of a haunted theater rather than I don't know, a haunted office building or whatever.
Speaker 2: You Plus, there's like backstage areas right to you. When you're in an audience and there is a backstage, it's kind of like, what's mysteriously going on back there? I wonder, you know, there's there's more to the story than what we're seeing, right, I think it could kind of fill your mind. I also think that like theaters where people perform, there's just so many traumatic people that live there and then they die and then they're just like I still want to put on a show.
Speaker 1: I agree with you, and I think maybe in general we walk through the world with kind of blinders on to this other world, but when we're open to it or we're looking for it, you know, we might be able to sense its presence more. And I think in old cinema's, old buildings, things that look creepy, we tend to open our minds more to what might be there, whereas in general maybe we're always surrounded by ghosts. But I really we are, right, but we're not maybe looking for it or it was open to it or yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, plus, you know, those places attract creative people who have creative minds, who are usually the ones or often the kind of people that believe that there could be more than what we see in this world. Right, you know. That's why I mean, that's why so many in my in my opinion, why so many creatives do you have ghost experiences Because we're naturally curious people were naturally people that believe the impossible as possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I do have another ghost story that's a little more recent really, that's not in a theater or a cinema. So I cause I've been I've been thinking about all these things before coming on your fabulous podcast. Uh. So, I lived in Provincetown are the last few summers doing shows, and not this past summer, but the summer before. My roommate was Trixie Mattel, world famous track queen now as she was world famous when we lived together. But she and I lived in this apartment building kind of a cottage off Conwell, which is one of the big streets in Province down not the main street that's commercial street, but Conwell is also a street that people know because it kind of bisects the town. And so we lived there and we talked about whether or not it was haunted and whether or not we you know, felt anything, and.
Speaker 2: Just did you have a reason to or you're just I think we did.
Speaker 1: I think we did, but we didn't know it and you know, kind of checked in with each other. But I think she and I are kind of similar where we're not like afraid of ghosts or anything like. So you know, it'd be more like like, you know, do you feel like this is a good press like that there's a sense of a good spirit here. Now at the time, we noticed there was an abnormal amount of these lamps that are made out of salt, like do you know these salt rocks that like the big hunk of Yes, there were like four in every room like and we couldn't figure it out as like the lesbian homeowners or are there like some spirits that need to be in There was sage everywhere, and so again something to lead you to believe like hmm, I don't know. And I did feel like a little spooked out being there, like there was the reasons, especially if you were there at night, like you felt like you weren't alone, like it was. It was a very clear feeling. So I didn't think about it, right. So that's two summers ago, and I didn't think about it for a while, And then last summer these friends of ours, another artist who was living in Province down doing shows. They were living in the same house and one of them thought it was haunted and wanted to talk to me and Tricksy because he knew that we had lived there. Well. His roommate had told me that he thought helt this way. So like the giant jerk that I am, I prefaced I pretend I played dumb, and then when I ran into him, I said, I have a really weird question for you, but you know, you're living in that house, like have you experienced anything strange? And you know, his whole face like just you know, he went wide eyed. He's like, oh my god, I can't believe it. Yes, you know, And I was, you know, sort of leading him on in a way that I thought was fun. You know, I was like, you know, have they started grabbing your feet yet, you know, stuff like that, have the nosebleeds begun the eating exactly? So so the laughs on me because I tell him like, oh no, I'm just kidding. You know, Tricksy and I we never experienced anything that intense, but we did kind of think it was haunted, you know. And I was expecting him to maybe be mad at me because I realized while I was talking to him how much he believed and was serious, you know, like he was so serious. So the summer goes on and we're talking to more and more people about this, and now there's this story about me being you know, the practical joker who led him on or whatever, and finally someone goes, well, you know, someone was murdered there and we're like what and and sure enough we research it and not in the unit we were in, but right next doors. They're all connected.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Is this kind of famous murder that took place in Provincetown where these tweakers were, you know, like hooking up and on a meth bender and the one that lived murdered the other one.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Yeah, chopped off.
Speaker 1: His arms, stuffed him in a closet, continued to have tricks over while the dead.
Speaker 2: Body like a full on party in play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a full on, like tweaker psychosis. People were still living in other parts of the building because that unit had multiple floors with different apartments in it.
Speaker 2: But the dead body stayed in there the whole time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for days, for days. Yeah, horrible. And there's like a weird documentary that you can watch about it on YouTube. So I watched the whole thing and then I felt so terrible because I realized, like, not only is our place probably haunted. When you watch the doc you realize that the guy that got killed was in love with the other one, but that the murderer was just using that guy for the drugs. You know, that kind of thing. So you feel like there's this real, like tragic part of it where not only was he murdered by this guy, but he had emotional and romantic feelings for him and he was being used and then ended up being murdered by this guy.
Speaker 2: So looking back, you feel like that's you could totally feel that energy.
Speaker 1: I do. I feel like I don't think it's a coincidence that me and Tricksy sort of felt something and then that this guy, he's probably much further along. I feel like, two, we all have different sort of wavelengths with the spirit world, and you know, this guy, I think was more open to it. And just this this also too. He was if this this dead ghost is you know gay guy? Well, this guy is extremely attractive, so maybe that had something to do with it. Maybe Tricksy and I weren't trade enough. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: That would be me as a ghost.
Speaker 1: I'd be like, he'd be super horny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my god. Yeah, Okay. You want to hear a story from a listener?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I've been ghosted too.
Speaker 2: So I got a submission for a story from Gina cp L. Now she left this story in the ratings and reviews section of Ghosted by Ross dress Less on iTunes. And you also can leave me a story there for us to read on the air, but only if you give me five stars. And luckily Gina did. Now she actually has a story about Stull Cemetery And have you heard about that? Okay, we had on a comedian named Kyle Errs who had an experience at Stoll Cemetery. It is located in Stoll, Kansas. It is terrifying. Peaches the episode. I was so scared when we were in here. It was the first episode I've done where I was like, I think I need to take a moment to stop this because it was so scary. Because it is this they call it a gateway to Hell. It's this old cemetery where tons of creepy shit happens. There's apparently stairs that lead to hell. There is an old church that doesn't have a roof and if it rains, it somehow doesn't get wet inside of the church. Just weird, trippy shit. Yeah, we also had some EVPs. So for anyone that's listening that hasn't heard that episode about Stoll Cemetery the Gateway to Hell, listen to the episode with Kyle Air, so Gina had sent me this. She said a little bit more about Stall. I went to college near Stoll, Kansas. A dear friend of mine and I attempted to go there once and were deterred by a strange sighting as we approached the cemetery. But that's neither here nor there, and that's not a very exciting story to tell. Okay, jeez, Gina, I heard so many creepy little tidbits about Stull throughout my time living in Lawrence, Kansas. My favorite Stole story has to do with the hidden steps that descend into hell. While at a party, some guy was talking and she wrote in parentheses loudly about his Stole adventure. He claimed that he and his friends had found the steps. He described a small number of stone steps descending into the earth. They decided to walk down just a few steps. What could possibly grow wrong? She also wrote in parentheses. I love that she wrote her own color commentary because she knew I was going to do that anyway. But when one friend turned around to look back toward the entrance, it was as if they had descended fifty steps. Understandably freaked out, he yelled, everyone else saw what was happening and they got out of there.
Speaker 1: Wow, Oh that's so crazy. I love that concept, or just that they would start running up the stairs but it wouldn't move like an escalator. That's you know, just you weren't getting further.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like a step a StairMaster.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, that is my hell.
Speaker 2: That is my hell being on a StairMaster. So I also want to play a little game of EVP or ev plicse wanted to make this a Peaches Christ edition. Okay, so I've got some I've got my first EVP from your home state of Maryland's ah okay.
Speaker 1: I didn't know how you were going to make it a Peaches I was like, are they sassy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're gossip.
Speaker 1: Bid Rob stops spreading rumors. She is like trying to spread it around that Peaches Christ is a gossip You know what. Stop trying to make that happen. You're not going to make it happen.
Speaker 2: My favorite thing about Peaches is that she's very gossipy. But she wanted to gossip about the fact that I keep saying she's a gossip true story.
Speaker 1: It does annoy me though, that you won't tell me things what do you mean? Like, you're like, well, one queen, blah blah blah, and then I'm like too, and you're like, I can't tell you peaches.
Speaker 2: No, Well that is true, but yeah, listen, you have to understand you.
Speaker 1: Admittedly, I love to share stories and I love to hear them, and actually I admit that I even kind of falsify them.
Speaker 2: Oh that's see. I like that about you, that you can admit that I take people's stories and that make them better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I do.
Speaker 2: I do. Okay, Well, let's see if you can make this better. Okay, here's an EVP that is from It's from Maryland. It was posted onto YouTube by Paranormal or not by Maryland Paranormal Research, that's their name. It was taken at a private residence in Arnold, Maryland. Oh.
Speaker 1: I know Arnold very well. It's very close to where I grew up.
Speaker 2: Okay. It was recorded in twenty eleven. It starts by hearing somebody. You hear someone say the words say something, and then you hear a spirit. Now, I will say, to be fair, I did edit the spirit's voice a little bit louder, so it has a slight robotic sound. To it, but because it was kind of a whisper. But here it is. Tell me what you think it says, say something?
Speaker 1: What very brief.
Speaker 2: We'll hear it a few times. I listen, this is the I was.
Speaker 1: I mean, I couldn't find very many parents.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: It has a little bit of a robot sound.
Speaker 2: Yeah it does. And that's that's my fault because I was. I was very quiet. So I've made letter. Okay, we go. But you can hear like a.
Speaker 1: Yes, I hear like a breath, like what I don't know where?
Speaker 2: Okay, was it was it? He says, say something? Was it a okay? B He goes say something and it goes, I'm giving up on you. Do you know that's not no? Was it c I'm here or d something? You know, like those of not just say something something. It's like when you're a student and you go can I go to the bathroom and the teacher goes, I don't know, can you that same kind of a ghost?
Speaker 1: Yes, No, it's not that. I guess I'm here.
Speaker 2: Say something.
Speaker 1: I mean that seems like I'm here might be the closest to you.
Speaker 2: You kind of hear it, Yeah it is, I'm here. Listen say something.
Speaker 1: I'm here. It's a beach, it's a reach. I mean, it's interesting that they caught something. But I don't know that you can necessarily tell what it's saying.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the fun of this game. It's just what other people think that it says. Right, But I don't doubt that. Yes, he does something.
Speaker 1: I guess it's Evie. Please.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean.
Speaker 1: Maybe, I don't know. Is that Is that a Debbie Downer?
Speaker 2: No, it's okay. Here's another one now, this one was It's a really cool video I found that was posted by Anthony Anderson. No relation to the actor from the TV show Blackish or Kangaroo Jack. But his name is Anthony Anderson and he recorded this, this whole video that retells a ghost hunting adventure that he had at the Market Street Theater in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: I know that theater well.
Speaker 2: And you know of its haunted.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, It's considered one of the most haunted sites in the city.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He says that some of the ghosts there are a mysterious lady in white that performs on stage, caretaker Gary who died of heart failure in the basement, and mysterious JJ, who's also in the basement. Okay, so here's another one, real brief, tell me what you think it says.
Speaker 1: Run, it's a good.
Speaker 2: Guess here it's one of these four options.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I actually wait for you to get the options.
Speaker 2: Is it a hunty, B, clumsy see or d whatever? In due predictability? The Milkman, the Baby Book. That's the full house theme song. That's what I think of when I think of San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Right right, right, Okay, hmm, I guess I guess of the those options, I'd say clumsy.
Speaker 2: It is clumsy, it is. Okay, let's hear another.
Speaker 1: Who decides what it is?
Speaker 2: Anthony Anderson.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the YouTube, the recordists they say, this is what this ghost is saying. Yeah, okay, I don't.
Speaker 2: Ever like to play EVP, EVPs or ev please if they say I think they might have said this.
Speaker 1: This is what they said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, So wait, let's hear another. We know it's clumsy.
Speaker 1: Hm. Well, I mean I will say this, considering the stories that have come out of the Market Street Cinema. I mean, in San Francisco, you've got the Castro Theater where we do a lot with all my shows, everyone says it's not haunted. That's not true.
Speaker 2: Really, Yeah, I guess I talked to the rump.
Speaker 1: You can talk to different staff members, especially over the years. There was a long time in the eighties and nineties, and maybe ghosts come and go, you know what I mean. But there were many many employees at one time who would claim a very similar story where when they would open the balcony, which they don't do very often anymore, but you know, for my shows they do. They used to keep the balcony and the orchestra open for any screening, and it was like less of an event space and more like a repertory cinema, and they'd sell tickets and some people would go upstairs and there was an usher who would go and tell people, I'm sorry, but the balcony is closed. And the people would come downstairs and complain like, well, then why didn't you put the stanchions out or why didn't you tell us? And then the staff downstairs would be like, there's no one up there. We don't have an usher, and we certainly don't have an usher wearing an old usher uniform. Apparently he was an old queen, you know, like this older gay man who'd be like, I'm sorry, but the balcony is closed, and so enough people had that customer complaint over the years was usually customers who saw the ghost, not the employees.
Speaker 2: I love the idea of an old queen ghost, right.
Speaker 1: Isn't it fabulous?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You know?
Speaker 1: And who knows? I mean, you know part of Vito Russo's ashes are stuffed into the wall at the Castro.
Speaker 2: Is that true?
Speaker 1: That is true? Yes?
Speaker 2: Oh I never heard that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, check out that Jeffrey Schwartz documentary veto Yeah, that's so fabulous and they talk about how uh that Wait did they talk about it in the documentary? Or I might have heard that from Alan Sawyer, who's this fantastic sort of local historian who was a manager of the Castro for years and years. Of course, I'm obsessed with all this sort of history, and I used to have a storytelling show and podcast in San Francisco and we did a show about old theaters, and I'm pretty sure Alan talked about how Vito's I think it's both. I think both the film and Alan have talked about how Vito's ashes are in the wall, and they know where they are. But I don't know where they are.
Speaker 2: Would you do that? No?
Speaker 1: I mean I I guess I probably would want to be cremated, but I don't know if I want to be in the wall at the Castro.
Speaker 2: But you are like the queen of the Castro Theater.
Speaker 1: I am, but uh and I love the Castro Theater.
Speaker 2: It is such a grand You know.
Speaker 1: What's funny is I think because I work there so much and I don't go there as much anymore, you know, for for recreational screenings and things, it's changed my sentiments about it. I consider it my one of my worst places. Kind of Yeah, So let's talk before we go about where people can find you this October. Oh, well, talk about haunted. So you know, last year I got a real dream project to be manifested after many years of trying, and so I created an immersive theater company with this company, Non Plus Ultra, and they activate old buildings usually owned by the city that are sitting empty. And this friend of mine, David Flower, who's a professional haunt production designer and producer, we joined forces, all of us and opened our first ever haunted attraction in San Francisco at the Old Mint Building, which is definitely haunted. That's like how they have.
Speaker 2: The Queen Mary one here, Yes, exactly, Yeah, because that would be so scary to be like what is real and what isn't. But that's a great little hook.
Speaker 1: I actually think sometimes it's it's scarier sometimes for the people who work on the project. Like We'd be going down to start the show, and I'd be walking through, you know, the project, and some of it would be very very dark, and you know, and of course the actors sometimes are jerks to each other and you know, get into their spots and pop out and you know, but I would start to think like, oh my god, that's an actor and then realize there's no actor there. Why was that thing moving or you know, where did that come from?
Speaker 2: I love the idea of an attracted haunted attraction in theory. Yeah, I don't like to go through that stuff.
Speaker 1: I think you'd like ours because I wrote a whole script. It was a story. It was you know, like there was there was a you know, it was part escape room. You know, the audience was very much a character in the show. You know. It wasn't like you walked through and you were passively observing it. You actually were engaged by the actors.
Speaker 2: I like that whole experience, yeah, situation. And you you also made a few appearances, you said.
Speaker 1: Right, my god, last year I was in every single show, which I'll never do that again because that was just too much. But I learned so much. I didn't realize how hard it would be to do thirty eight shows a night as Peaches and come down in an elevator, you know, and do the same scene over and over and over again where I summoned Baphamet.
Speaker 2: So what is the concept this year, Well, so it's still the same.
Speaker 1: Terror Vault is all about the fact that the Mint building was secretly used by the city as a prison. They did a deal with the federal government after the nineteen oh six earthquake before Alcatraz was opened in the late thirties, where they were using the vaults to lock up the city's worst criminals because they really didn't have enough jails and the city was overrun with criminals. Now, all of that is true, except for the notion that the Mint was ever used as a prison. It was not. I made that up. Okay, So the plot is still the same. You sort of show up and you go on this museum tour, and then you find out that when Alcatraz was opened, instead of moving the prisoners to the island, they just sealed the vaults and walked away. Now we're going to take you downstairs and all hell breaks loose. So it's the same plot, except that you're going to meet all new prisoners. You know. So last year, you know, you met Ignatius Shelby, who was a serial killer tax dermist who was fusing humans and Pacific heights to animal you know, creatures and making new breeds of things, And is that real? No? Okay, you know I made it all up. There was a killer clown, turn of the century clown who huffed poisonous gas called poppy. There was oh, there was a lot of Catholicism, of course, you know, there was a whole Satan thing, you know. So I created these characters, and you learn about the characters ahead of time as part of the exposition of the show, so that when you're going through and you're walking into these different vaults, and the vaults become these worlds of these people, you understand the storyline behind them and what they're doing. So this year, I don't want to give too much away. But yeah, it's all new settings and all new characters, and then we have a whole other attraction. What's that, the Morbid Morgue. Because we heard from enough people. We did very well last year where we were turning people away for the last couple of weeks, So instead of trying to cram more people through, we're just designing a whole other show so that we'll have two shows and you can go to both shows, but just you know, so that we can you know, really, i mean, let's face it, make as much money as we can in one month with these pop ups because we have the whole building. It's massive, it's huge, it's important, it's historical. So if there's enough people that can support two shows, So the Morbid morgu is going to be more of a if Terror Vault's more of a fantastical show, full of fantasy because you go into these these worlds, these horror worlds, Morbid morg is more like the gritty reality of what it would be like to be in a prison there and you will be going in and has met suits to clean it up?
Speaker 2: And are they allowed to touch you?
Speaker 1: Yes? Well, in Terror Vault, you wear a necklace a glow in the dark necklace. Should you choose to opt in for interactivity, which tells the actors, you can be touched, you can be pulled away from your group, you can be locked in a room. You can you know you're interactive. You don't have to wear the necklace. If you don't wear the necklace, you won't be touched with morbid morg. Everyone has to sign a release of live and you will be touched, shocked, prodded, a bag put over your head, you know whatever.
Speaker 2: Wait, but what is the real haunted history of that place.
Speaker 1: Well, the real deal is that when the earthquake happened in nineteen oh six, it was so devastating for that part of San Francisco that the city was sort of crumbling and on fire. Well not sort of, it was. I mean it just looks like you see these pictures, these old ancient photographs, and like just just ruins, you know. But the mint was still standing. It was built intentionally on granite so that they could have these secure underground vaults for the At the time, it held a third of the country's gold, So it was a big important space. And the people that were inside the mint locked themselves in because they could do that. They could put these metal shutters over the windows because it was it had to be fortified, you know, it held all that money. So they did that, and they had water inside, they had a natural well, and so they were able to survive while people were pounding on the walls, screaming and burning to death outside. So the idea is that there's a lot of unrest there, you know, both from the people that died inside or you know, maybe have guilt around locking themselves in and surviving while people died outside. So you know, they have a lot of ghost hunters have gone through the mint and described the ghosts, you know, from being from that time.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's so much haunted activity in San Francisco. I love it.
Speaker 1: It's a very haunted city. You know, it's foggy, it's spooky, it's yeah, and it's filled with you know, historically just the craziest characters.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm, Well you're my favorite crazy character. Tell people where they can find you.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm on you know all the social media, you know, Instagram, Facebook, TWI just look up Peaches Christ Vpeaches Christ on Instagram and peacheschrist dot com is another place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, follow her, and if you find out that one of her shows is coming to your town, it is worth every second. Go Well, thank you for listening to this fabulous interview with Peaches christ. I hope to bring some more drag queens on here. I've actually had a couple of people send me some messages saying, hey, where are the drag queen's at? And I know I know a lot of them, and a couple of them have some spooky old stories, so stay tuned for that. I so appreciate you guys listening. This has been so much fun. We've done a few of these episodes so far, and I am just thrilled and just so honored that so many people are listening. If you are enjoying the show, please give me a five star rating on Apple Podcasts and everywhere that podcasts are able to be rated. If you have a ghost story, please leave it in your five star review on Apple Podcasts, or if it's a real long one, you can send it to ghosted by Raz at gmail dot com. Maybe you're a ghost hunter and you have some EVPs that you want me to figure out what they're saying.
Speaker 1: Send those also to.
Speaker 2: Me at ghosted by Raz at gmail dot com. Please help my childhood dream come true of becoming a social media superstar by following me at Raz Dress Flees on Instagram and Twitter, and tell a friend about the show so we can continue to grow. I'll be back next week. I love you all, but as always, if I didn't ask you to haunt me, don't haunt me.
Speaker 1: Hey b