Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Welcome to the program. Hope you had a great weekend.
Speaker 2: Everybody, gang's all here ready to go on a Monday, Best and Worst of the weekend.
Speaker 1: You can be part of the program.
Speaker 2: You can dial us up operator Tyler's standing by eight, seven to seven three. DP show email Addressdpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show Play the day, poll, question, stat of the day, all of that forthcoming. We'll check in with the Lakers coming up next hour. Basketball. Last night at least the art is formerly known as the Boston Celtics got roughed up again by the Miami Heat. The Heat up three to oho, when the Celtics Nuggets up three to oh, when the Lakers trying to close out the Lakers Game four. That'll be coming up tonight, all right, pole question, We'll have a few of those coming your way. I bring this up and then brought this up when ESPN gave the Miami Heat a three percent chance to advance the NBA Finals before the series started, and I thought, Okay, this is why I have a problem with analytics. Analytics doesn't factor in personality or clutchness. It doesn't factor in attitude, it doesn't factor in coaching, the age, the experience, the Miami Heat they've been here before.
Speaker 1: But a three percent chance.
Speaker 2: I know that you have the Boston Celtics, who I've said before many times might be the best team as far as talent goes depth, but they don't have experience as at the head coach position. You got the Miami Heat. Eric Spolster's been there fifteen years. You got pat Riley there. They've done a wonderful job drafting players, getting players who weren't drafted and have contributed mightily here. This is why analytics can sometimes fool you. Where you go a ninety seven percent chance of going to the NBA Finals. Now, if you said would have the chance for the Celtics to go to the finals before this series started, I would say probably sixty percent chance, maybe maybe a little bit more than that home court advantage, And but you have to factor in. This is a team that was on the verge of being eliminated by the seventy six ers. Game six in Philly, Philly wins. Philly's playing the Miami Heat, so they and they frustrate me, the Celtics. They're not threatening. That's another common theme that I've had. They're just not consistent, they're not threatening. At times, their stars disappear, and you saw that last night. It didn't take long before you realize Miami's gonna win this one. They're going to win this one. And analytics does in factor in Jimmy Butler. You know, there's no category for, oh, do you have a Jimmy Butler kind of player. Jimmy Butler during the regular season gets no attention whatsoever, right, very little. It's not like he has these moments where do you see Jimmy Butler last night? But in the playoffs playoff, Jimmy Butler is a thing. It's real, it's tangible. Analytics doesn't factor that in. But for the Boston Celtics, possible trip to the NBA Finals again is looking like a very very distant possibility. Stat of Today has always brought you by the great folks at Panini America, the official trading cards of this program. Make sure you try out the Discover credit cards. They do something pretty awesome. At the end of your first year, the automatically double all the cash back you've earned everything doubled cash back from trips and restaurants see terms.
Speaker 1: Check it out for yourself.
Speaker 2: Discover dot com slash match pull question today, Seaton, what are we going to go with? Who had the best weekend?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 4: Brooks Koepka, Michael Block, Jimmy Butler or Jamal Murray.
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: Good, those are four great weekends right there. Yeah, well, Michael Block stole the show. Brooks Kepka didn't steal the PGA, but you know he won it. He was although if you look after the first round, you're not talking about brooks Kepka, and then all of a sudden he wouldn't go away. And then once he gets that feel, that sense uh, and he's back because he I think he was on really the edge of not being a competitive golfer again because of his injuries. And you know he's healthy now you saw that. And he's got that attitude, he's got that swagger, he's not afraid, just like all right, he's standing over a putt and you go, it's going in.
Speaker 1: Michael Block was a great story.
Speaker 2: You know, he's a career PGA tour you know, professional from southern California. He's a guy who's there, you know, at a country club and Mission Viejo but he's he's played in majors before, so that's why it's not like he's been around this and these players. But this was different because now you're there with Rory McElroy, you're you're on the leader board, and the crowd loved it. You know, it was like he was in Tin Cup. He was the guy you were going to root for. It's like, God, there's a PGA pro there and it felt like he was us out there, and uh, I think the emotion kind of hit him at the end of it all, and rightfully, so, I mean, he's out there, he's with Rory McElroy. The previous round, he's with Justin Rose. Crowd's going crazy as a hole in one, and now he got invited to the Colonial and then he'll go back to, you know, being a teaching pro.
Speaker 1: So that was a great story. Yes, Martin, does his rate go up after this performance? I hope not.
Speaker 2: And you know, he makes I think one fifty for forty five minutes, but I hope it doesn't. But no, he would be in demand if he wanted to do it, but I hope it doesn't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paul Dan, of course, we got to correct the sports media, the Arroyo Trabuco website. That's the CLUBB he plays for and works at in southern California. He makes one twenty five for a forty five minute lesson. Okay, a nine hole playing lesson where you get on the cart and ride with him is five hundred dollars good And you can go online and look it right now if you want, if you're interested.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just have to get out there though for the lesson there, I sign him, but we're doing career salary for Michael Block. Uh So, let's see Jamal Jamal Murray had a wonderful weekend and this is one of those where you go, oh, that's right, Jamal Murray bubbled Jamal Murray, where you're like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: And then he got hurt.
Speaker 2: Jokers sort of overshadows everybody on that team. And then I kept thinking the Celtics, if you contain Joker, that's you know, he's going to get his But you got to make sure nobody else goes crazy. And the other players on the Nuggets are hitting open shots and the Lakers aren't. Here's another thing that happens in the NBA. This didn't used to happen in the sixties, seventies, eighties, maybe even the nineties.
Speaker 1: And that's the three point shot can get.
Speaker 2: You back into a game, but it can also take you out of a game, and you're seeing that certainly with the Lakers. Lebron keeps shooting threes, well if you're not making them, and then they're making twos at the other end, and then you go, oh, let's keep shooting threes. Now we have to make up an even bigger deficit. And then you're not making your threes. So now that margin is you know, seventeen points, nineteen points, twenty one points. And you see this with the Boston Celtics as well. You keep shooting because you got to get back into the game, but by shooting the three, you can also get further out out of the game. And that's where we're seeing these big fluctuations where you know, somebody's going to go on a nineteen to four run, now twenty to five run. But it's because the three point shot can get you that, but also take it takes away too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: See like Lebron getting to the hoop and trading two's for threes every trip down. You know, Jamal Murray's knocking everything down Lebron, just the physical nature he's hitting the floor even when there's not a foul.
Speaker 1: Calt. That's just not sustainable. No, And he keeps shooting the three.
Speaker 2: And that's why, you know, I keep yelling, why don't you get to the hoop early? You know, get some fouls, get to the line. Then if you want to shoot some threes, but don't get down early, and then try to get back in it by shooting threes. Because Lebron has been terrible from three point range in this series, and they are trying to tire him out, and they've done a very good job. If you said to the Nuggets, hey, Lebron's going to guard Joker again tonight, they'd be like, great, love it. We want him tired at the other end, settling for the jump shot. But when you shoot a jump shot, you need your legs. Big misconception, Oh you just stand out there. You still have to have your legs shooting threes, and Lebron looks tired, and he has not been dangerous at all shooting those threes, and he's putting and it's not all on him, but he's the guy who's leading the charge here. I feel confident if Reeves is going to shoot a three. D'Angelo Russell, Hello, Hello, Hello, pick up a white courtesy phone. So we're not seeing any of the role players for the Lakers play the way the role players are playing for the Denver Nuggets. All right, So what other pole questions do you have, Seeton?
Speaker 1: We got a bunch more.
Speaker 4: We're putting up that one for the first hour, Okay, but we do have better story. The Heat or Michael Block. Well, I think everybody.
Speaker 2: Can identify with Michael Block, like that's that's just a guy out there. Whereas you know, the Miami Heat. We've seen this before, Jimmy Butler, We've seen this before. I mean, they're a great story to root for because you don't know who like Gabe Vincent, Duncan Robinson back in the mix, I was watching him like where's he Like he didn't play at all. It felt like this year and they're doing it without Tyler Hero, Victor Oladipo, and you're looking at the undrafted players and you're going it goes back to the saying I have. You know, losing is a choice because you can go out and get players, and you know, a Miami Heat have gotten those players, and those players know what their roles are. Sometimes you have Hey, I got this guy who was the Defensive Player of the year. This guy was first team All NBA, this guy was second team All NBA.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 2: You got to do it though, every single night, and it feels like Boston is just sitting back going, yeah, I know we're supposed to be better than them. And then all of a sudden, Miami, you know you. They woke up Jimmy Butler for some reason, and Jimmy Butler had this to say when he has had his little confrontation with Grant Williams.
Speaker 1: That's just competition.
Speaker 6: That is finest.
Speaker 7: He hit a big shot started talking to me.
Speaker 6: I like that. I'm all for that.
Speaker 7: It makes me key in a lot more and it pushes that will that I have to win a lot more, and it makes me smile. It does when when people talk to me, I'm like, Okay, I know I'm a decent player if you want to talk to me out of everybody that you can talk to, but I don't know, It's just it's just competition. I do respect him though, he's a big part of what they try to do.
Speaker 1: He switches he can shoot the ball.
Speaker 7: I just don't know if I'm the best person to talk to.
Speaker 2: That's a great line that right there. I just don't know if I'm the best person to talk to.
Speaker 1: I love the delivery too. It's so measured, it's very.
Speaker 2: You know, it's almost like, uh, you know, John Wick is the NBA's John Wick.
Speaker 1: All Right, I got to do this. I got to do this.
Speaker 4: Because he's like, I respect you, Yeah, I respect you, but yeah, not me.
Speaker 2: But I got yeah, yeah yeah. And uh, here's another thing I hate hearing here is the Celtics head coach Joe Missoula.
Speaker 1: I just didn't have him ready to play.
Speaker 8: I just didn't didn't have the execute the proper game plan.
Speaker 7: I didn't put them in the right mentality to be ready. And you know it's my job to make sure that they're connected and that they're ready.
Speaker 1: To play, and I didn't do that.
Speaker 2: Okay, when did you realize you didn't have them ready to play?
Speaker 1: Can you like?
Speaker 2: There, these are grown men getting paid, get out there play now. If you said, hey, you know the doggate, my scouting report, or you know I got out coached by by Eric Spolstra, didn't use timeouts or my rotations were terrible.
Speaker 1: Okay, I didn't have them ready to play? Means what.
Speaker 2: They weren't ready to play at some point. It's on them. Now, what do you do today? How are they going to get ready for the next game tomorrow? What are you going to do differently? Hey, guys, get ready? I got them ready? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Seen is it unheard.
Speaker 4: Of to replace your coach before Game four of the Eastern Conference Finals? Because as soon as I heard that, I was like, just fire him right now, just get rid of them right now.
Speaker 1: Didn't get them ready. I didn't have the right game plan. Even that's okay, but I just didn't have them ready to play. I don't know what that means. Then you should just don't show up.
Speaker 6: Then I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It'd be like if you know, you guys don't have a good show, and then I go, you know, I just didn't have them ready. I didn't get them ready. No, it's your responsibility to get ready for the show.
Speaker 1: Yes, tom, but what.
Speaker 6: Do we often for? You Either say that or you're like, I don't know. I did my part. Talk to them. They're the ones that play on the court. I don't have a basketball man.
Speaker 1: And I think John Calaperry said that one time.
Speaker 2: Hey, don't blame me, blame them, And that's really what you should be thinking. And this on you, guys, not on me. You get ready, be ready, Your season is on. Didn't you learn anything against the seventy six ers? Apparently not? Now you're going to go out in this style? Are you going to get swept? How about we bring this back to Boston. No team has ever come back from three to zero. We're going to do it. Who's with me?
Speaker 1: Let's go, let's go.
Speaker 2: And then he's the only guy running out of the locker room.
Speaker 1: Who's with you? Can oh itch a seven game series? We got plenty of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm I'm I'm gonna now I'm going to start out coaching Eric Spolstra.
Speaker 1: Now now, now it's going to happen. Well, I hate hearing that I didn't get him ready? What were you doing?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 1: Well, he watches that movie The Town. He watches in.
Speaker 5: Practice like he's going to what's watching the Town of not hosting pro?
Speaker 2: No, but he watches The Town four times a week. He says, he watches that movie four times a week.
Speaker 9: Yes, Ton, you can almost wink at that if it's November twelfth or January or February, but it was the conference finals.
Speaker 6: That's a little toughness, wallop. I don't have your team ready.
Speaker 1: And I just didn't. I didn't have him ready.
Speaker 2: I know he's, you know, trying to fall on the sword for him, but I don't want to hear that. It's not now. Should he be the coach of the Celtics. No, he shouldn't. He doesn't have the experience and it's showing right now. But that team has experience, and you would think just the talent level. Now is he saying to Jason Tatum, Hey, whatever you do, don't shoot in the fourth quarter. Hey, whatever you do, I don't want you to take many shots in the second half. That's on Jason Tatum, Jaylen Brown, future Hall of Famer Al Horford, Well you're supposed to be. I put a curse on Al Horford some something terrible.
Speaker 8: Yes, Mark Ay At the end of it was that game two and Al Horford called that time out and he did a little post. Jimmy Butler returned the favor. This has not been good. We're blaming you. Yeah, yeah, hall of Famer.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Three time all stops.
Speaker 1: Yeah, four points a game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, let's take a break here, just getting started. I got our poll question check in with the Lakers game tonight. Lakers. The Nuggets, by the way, favored tonight in Los Angeles, favored by three man.
Speaker 1: We'll do the over unders for tonight.
Speaker 2: I got the odds to win the series with the Nuggets in the heat. Who has a who's a bigger favorite to win their conference finals? Between the Buggets in the heat? Both up three to you? Oh all right, Well take a break back after this Dan Patrick show. Oh, I got something great for you, all right, got something great that you can be involved with the show. All right, Marvin's cookout playlist and that'll be this Friday. You go to Danpatrick dot com and vote which era of music Let's say the seventies, eighties, nineties or the two thousand zots.
Speaker 1: Yes, but here's the thing.
Speaker 2: What if you had control over your phone plan, get exactly what you want, only pay for what you need, and then you turn on perks when you want them, when you need them. That's my plan from Verizon. So this Friday, we're following their footsteps, giving you control over part of our show. Once again Danpatrick dot com you vote on which era Marvin's Cookout Playlist should come from seventies, eighties, nineties or the odts. Just like you're taking control of your phone plan with my plan from Verizon, you're taking control of our show. Go to Danpatrick dot com and vote which era Marvin's Cookout Playlist should come from this week. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine to noon Eastern or six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio. Find your local station for The Danpatrick Show at Foxsportsradio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app by searching FSR, or stream us live on the Peacock ACCT.
Speaker 5: Two NBA Insiders podcasting twice a week to plug you right into the NBA Great.
Speaker 10: Five, all happening in only one place. This League Uncut, the new NBA podcast with me.
Speaker 1: Chris Haynes and me Mark Stein join.
Speaker 10: Us as we team up to expound on everything we're covering Hearing and Chason.
Speaker 8: Listen to This League Uncut with Chris Haynes and Mark Stein.
Speaker 10: On the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Me I had the Nuggets favored tonight. The Lakers are favored by three. This feels like the Lakers win by two or they lose by twenty. That's what it feels like. Have our play of the day coming up. All right, here's the over unders for today once again, the Nuggets getting three over under for Anthony Davis points Tonight.
Speaker 1: Todd twenty five and a half, all.
Speaker 2: Right't Seaton twenty seven and a half, Marvin twenty four and a half, all right, twenty six and a half.
Speaker 1: Paully saw My notes are excusing myself. Yes, over under Jamal Murray Todd.
Speaker 6: Twenty six and a half.
Speaker 2: Loo whow, congratulations under Lebron James Tonight Marvin.
Speaker 1: Twenty three and a half, Seaton twenty.
Speaker 2: Five and a half, Todd twenty seven and a half, twenty four and a half over under for the Joker Marvin twenty five and a half, Seat twenty eight and a half, Todd twenty nine and a half, twenty six and.
Speaker 1: A half over.
Speaker 2: Odds to win the Conference finals the Nuggets minus twenty five hundred. Then it's the Heat minus twelve hundred. Then it's the Celtics. The Lakers have the longest odds and both are on life support. Here down three going into their next games. Here Best and worst of the weekend. What you saw that you liked you didn't like? Caleb in Portland leads us off. Good morning, Caleb. What's on your mind today?
Speaker 6: Hey Dan?
Speaker 3: Happy Monday five ten to fifteen after vacation. Best of the weekend. Got home from vacation, new bench presspr to eighty five, baby, almost to the four hundred.
Speaker 1: Excuse me?
Speaker 3: WHOA Yeah, I was pretty happy. Worst of the weekend, though, was a wife said after embarrassing her at the intimate wedding in Kawhi, I need to slow down on the moonshine.
Speaker 1: So I don't know what. How did you embarrass her?
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, she was mad that I almost ruined the vacation by sneaking alcohol onto the plane, and then during the valves, I tried telling her it was food poisoning, but I got a little stick during the valves and was throwing up. And I'm a very loud grower upper, so it.
Speaker 1: Was very noticeable.
Speaker 3: What was going on on the side of the mountain.
Speaker 1: Did you excuse yourself from the ceremony? Oh?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I went running.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, yeah, yeah, Well.
Speaker 3: It wasn't a good look, but I promise it wasn't the moonshine. I did have some moonshine in me, but it was more the bad sushi that.
Speaker 1: I had, of course. Yours. Well you got married, right, yep.
Speaker 3: Yep, they're they're married. As far as I know, they're still married. I think I haven't really spoken to them since then, but I think it's.
Speaker 2: Good they they probably don't want to speak to you, Caleb.
Speaker 11: Man Man, not for a while.
Speaker 3: I'll give them some time and then, uh, and then they'll give them a call.
Speaker 2: Okay, Uh best and worst for the weekend? Oh, I guess I think that might have been. It was it? I think so he was the worst of the weekend personally. Buddha in San Francisco. How's morale, Buddha.
Speaker 12: Well, it's a lot better after following that call. That's great. I was hoping I was the next scholar. Uh DP, good morning. Best of the weekend. Dan was obviously the block Party held out in New York watching Michael Block do what he was doing asen Alt wholes playing with Rory on Sunday, Get in Love with Getting Love from Hello friends, Jim nns on the eighth teams after saving us par I mean that was pretty compelling. You can't you can't make that stuff up, man, And uh, worst of the weekend, Dan, Obviously you know ship's going down, Dan, But I want to say to those who think the NBA is rigged, look at the two story franchises down three to zero.
Speaker 2: Dan.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Viver fans can put that in their pipe and smoke it.
Speaker 1: Dan, Thank you, Budha.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's rigged that they both come back and then get a chance to play in the NBA Finals, that that'll be the story, yes, Mark.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the writers in the NBA room right now, this is more suspenseful this way.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Is there going to be a Michael Block movie? If you were casting Michael Block the Michael Block movie, of course it'd be a blockbuster. But uh, is there going to be a Block Michael Block movie?
Speaker 12: Yes?
Speaker 5: Point, A lot of people are calling for it on social media over the weekend. You know, he did these really fun interviews to walk about what is the story. Well, here's the thing. A lot of people suggested, let's just get the movie made. This is a movie. The Hole in one was great you get Bradley Cooper, if he's attached, it's all good. But the problem is he didn't win the tournament or even maybe take it to a playoff.
Speaker 1: He finished fifteenth.
Speaker 5: Okay, but then again, the Oakland A's didn't win anything and they got money ball made because because brad Pitt's that I'm in and he's really good looking. So if Bradley Cooper says yes to this, it's happening.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 2: If there was analytics tied to golf and his approach had to do with analytics, and then he was able to compete at the highest.
Speaker 1: Left, no, No, there's no need.
Speaker 2: For a Michael Block movie. We had a Michael Block movie the last four days.
Speaker 5: Yes, we love the story, but here's the problem. He's a club pro in Mission Vieo, California, not really a hard scrabble, tough town to make your bones in the golf community.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's the wrong side of Mission Via.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Brancho Missions Mission Veho doesn't have a bad side.
Speaker 1: I've been there.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: Does this guy have I know he struggle a lot, but he's struggling as a golf pro to get to her.
Speaker 2: But I don't think he's struggling. Right, he's got a great life.
Speaker 5: I saw the interview with Nancy even says, he goes, I don't really give lessons anymore. I've done well enough on the tour of the past six years where I can give fewer lessons.
Speaker 4: It's like golf needs a version of eight mile. It's like he came across the Oh so this is spaghetti, Yes.
Speaker 8: Mark, there as slums of miss Mission Viejo, are there? I don't know, I'm asking, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: You can't see the ocean.
Speaker 5: That's the people are ob steward view of the obscure, partial ocean view, an obstructed view.
Speaker 1: God, how do you guys get up in the morning. Well, hopefully things will turn around for you.
Speaker 5: Michael Block club pro could not see the ocean on a daily basis.
Speaker 1: He overcame that marine layer. Yes, never burned off.
Speaker 9: Yes, could you give him a fifteen for fifteen instead of a thirty for thirty type for fifteenth.
Speaker 11: It's kind of small.
Speaker 2: Over work shopping. But we don't need a Michael Block movie. We don't people want it.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: There's no need for it. We saw it. We got the reality show that was this Weekend. Yes, like that movie? Was it Invincible? Vincent Papali with the Eagles. He didn't go on to lead them to the super Bowl. The movie got made because Mark Wahlberg said, yes, you know, it was a nice story that's bouncing around for years, and then all of a sudden, Mark Wahlberg gets hold of and says, I'll make that, and that movie got made.
Speaker 1: Okay, but what is what's the story? I don't know, but the whole game to have an arc? Here? What's the arc? He had a hole in one? Okay, Now what happens? Do you have a tough childhood? That would help him? Really, it would help me.
Speaker 2: Judging from the woman who hugged him. He has a beautiful wife. He talked about his kids. Yeah, yes, yeah, you definitely have to be poor in order to make this movie. You can't be like, you know what, I.
Speaker 8: Live in a quarter a million dollar house, but I've gotten to the US Open.
Speaker 1: You have to be like uh in Mission vieho a quarter million dollar or get a parking s just spend renovating your kitchen. Did he get a paycheck yesterday?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What did he make?
Speaker 5: Two hundred and eighty eight thousand plus some type of bonus with a hole in one.
Speaker 1: Okay, yes to not, but he has.
Speaker 6: To change his flight, so you have to spend a little money on that. That's going to mess things up now that he's playing the next week's age.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, there's no need for a movie, no need.
Speaker 2: We're good. It's a nice story. I thought that it almost. CBS almost allowed it to overshadow brooks Kopka almost, And I don't know if you know, their coverage is skewed a little bit because brooks Kopka has.
Speaker 1: Been on the Live Tour.
Speaker 2: I mean, really, what he's done to be able to get back to being a competitive golfer. I mean, it's really a remarkable story. And if you watch that show, I think it's on Netflix, The Swing, and you mean he was gone, like mentally, he was done with golf. It felt like, and you know Claude Harmon you know, butch Harmon Son.
Speaker 1: There group of people kind of put him back together.
Speaker 2: And you know, they had to put him back together mentally and physically to get to this point. And I think that's part of the reason why he went to the Live Tour. He cashed in on his name and he was not you know, considered you know, one of the great golfers anymore. He had won four majors prior to yesterday. I mean he's gone five five. Now you're in the conversation among the greatest golfers who have ever played. And to do that and come back is really a great story and should be celebrated. But it does feel like Michael Block was the uh. It felt like he was more of the story than maybe he should have been, just from you know, my vantage watching this and Brooks is not you know, magnanimous dynamic. You know, there's not a lot of flare to him. He just goes out there and kind of systematically takes you down and you could see it. Everybody's sort of fallen too, you know, to the wayside there and he didn't uh and to be that mentally strong after not being all there in his words. But you know, four years ago he was the man and then disappeared and then went to the Live Tour.
Speaker 1: And also, you know.
Speaker 2: Some of these players on the Live Tour said, yeh see, this validates our tour.
Speaker 1: Now it doesn't. You still have great golfers.
Speaker 2: That's why they paid hundreds of millions of dollars to get you to go there.
Speaker 1: You guys didn't innovate anything.
Speaker 2: All you did is we're gonna wear shorts, play music and we're only playing three days not four. Wow, you've you've reinvented the game. It is what it is. Nobody questioned your talent. They were questioning your motives for leaving the tour. The tour didn't want you to leave. And the reason why you guys went to the Live Tour they paid you, they wanted stars. You guys should be good. This doesn't. This isn't one of those where you go, yeah, our tour made us better.
Speaker 1: It did not.
Speaker 2: You're great golfers. It doesn't validate anything. Bryce and Deshambo said, yeah, you know, we have great competition week in and week out. You guys were marquee players on the PGA Tour. If the money was the same, would you have gone to the Live Tour And the answer is no. You wanted the money, you got the money, but you're not getting credit for anything. I mean, maybe you're gonna help down the road, you know, make the PGA Tour better, but that wasn't your goal. Your goal was to take it apart. It's Greg Norman's goal. But everybody got paid. But it's not now you know. Now, are you going to watch the live tour? Exactly?
Speaker 1: You're not.
Speaker 2: These are wonderful players. It's a shame that we don't get to see them play more often. But you know, it allows other players to be stars on the PGA Tour, and then when they come back, it's great to see them, you know, when Mickelson's out there, Kopka, Deshambeau, cam Smith, it's great.
Speaker 1: I wish they played more often. They don't.
Speaker 2: And you're playing in golf events that aren't really golf events. Like, if you guys are the greatest players in the world, why don't you play four days not three? Now?
Speaker 1: Wow, you got shorts on and music playing? What else?
Speaker 2: Sombreros cigars man, you're crazy. Live tour is not living well, just not you are, But the live tour is not. Let's see more phone calls coming up. Will take a break out our play of the day up next to Patrick Show. Thanks for listening to The Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern sixty nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, no play of the.
Speaker 2: Day, Play on the day.
Speaker 7: Check this out.
Speaker 10: Michael Block on the fifteenth, one hundred and fifty one yards has a seven iron in hand. This takes off on an incredible line, tracking right out of its right distance.
Speaker 1: Holy go, my gosh. It flew right into the center of the hole for a hold.
Speaker 9: One for Michael Block, part of the Courtbridge Financial PGA team.
Speaker 2: A dream week for Michael Block continues. That's courtesy of Serious XMPGA Tour Radio Michael Block. He drains it on the flying fifteen pole hold in one play of today the day brought to you by great folks at Mercedes. They say good things come to those who wait. The Mercedes Benz SUV family proves otherwise. Takes no time at all to set up a test drive your local Mercedes Benz dealer.
Speaker 1: Learn more.
Speaker 2: Nbusa dot com saw a movie over the weekend. Didn't even know that it was a movie or being made into a movie. It had to do with the history of the BlackBerry phone, and my wife goes, hey, I'd like to see this movie. It's about the blackberries, And I'm thinking, is this a family, like, are they you know the fruit blackberries? And she goes, no, the phone, the BlackBerry. I never had a BlackBerry. But they made a movie and it's called I think the movie is called BlackBerry. I don't know if there's any real big names in it, but I didn't know the history of the BlackBerry phone. And you know, Steve Jobs came in and basically put BlackBerry out of business when he started with the iPhone, but they had the market there for a little while.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paulie Fritz and I were both big BlackBerry guys back in the day. When we started ESPN. We both got blackberries. They were like the new hot thing. Yeah, never fantastic. It was like having a computer with you. One of the stars of the movie is Jay Bearrischell. He was in He's been in a couple of Seth Rogan movies. She's out of his league that movie. He was okay, yeah, funny kid. Yeah, but he's in disguise with his hair.
Speaker 2: His hair is white, he's got a wig on, but playing the guy who basically invented the BlackBerry. But I was never a BlackBerry owner. Yes time, Yeah, I got very attached to mine.
Speaker 6: I found it very easy.
Speaker 9: But all of a sudden we were getting emails and suggestions that they're gonna phase it out and you're not gonna be able to get your email anymore, and it's not gonna be compatible with any of your company system.
Speaker 6: So I guess we got to graduate to iPhones and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I never I wasn't somebody who was a big BlackBerry person, but they talked about the click whenever you were typing in things. That's you know that the designer was like, yes, I want that click.
Speaker 1: I was like, okay, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: There was this one who's like a BlackBerry Curve the best phone I ever had.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really was.
Speaker 4: And then once and then once you switch to an iPhone or whatever, everything was just different. But man, was it nice to just have a phone that was like you would talk on it, you would text.
Speaker 1: That was about it.
Speaker 2: Well, when Steve Jobs came out with the iPhone, and then you know, the people at BlackBerry were like, wait a minute, everything's on the screen.
Speaker 1: That's crazy, that'll never work.
Speaker 2: And you know, they were holding out that they weren't going to put anything on the screen that you actually had to touch and wrong. Yes, put them out of business? You bet wrong? Yes, yes, so called BlackBerry. It feels like it's a documentary, but it was in a movie theater that I went to.
Speaker 4: It feels weird to be talking about BlackBerry, like it's so dated. Oh my yeah, I can't believe we actually have to type like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like when I tell my kids about a rotary phone, you know, growing up.
Speaker 1: Wait, what did you have to do? Yeah? Yeah, I see.
Speaker 4: We just watched Air yesterday with my son and my wife and we were so Kieran was like, my son was like, what is that phone all about? And then my wife said, do you know what those tapes are that she's putting in the because he's watching highlights of people playing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like no VHS tapes there, there's.
Speaker 4: Like actual tape in there. You would have to and it would get stuck. What do you mean it would get stuck?
Speaker 1: Be kind and rewind, Yes, bully.
Speaker 5: I wonder when the people who own Blockbusters back in the eighties and nineties, more so the nineties, when they were really hitting it, when they knew it was over. I guess on demand at home streaming all that stuff. But Blockbuster was the place. It was like a social place. You go there on a Friday and get set up for the weekend or get movies. You'd see people you knew at Blockbuster Video.
Speaker 2: We liked the experience of going to Blockbuster and then you shop around. There would be the staff recommendations there. You'd go, oh, okay, I'll take a chance on this movie. But yeah, I thought it was a good movie. I didn't think it was great. I kept waiting for the what what's there? And you know, some people avoided jail time. They backdated stock for somebody who came over from Google, I believe, and it's going to make ten million dollars. So I don't know if anybody went to jail, but I think they were threatened with you know, the SEC came in and there was some drama with that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paul, I still have my BlackBerry from ESPN. I never turned it in. I just had it on my desk and left it there when I when I quit, I wonder if it's worth something. It could it be like one of those novelty items in twenty years.
Speaker 2: Well, I hold on to everything. Yeah, So if you want me to hold on, keep it, keep it here in the Man. Yeah, we can put it up in the Man Cake. We'll put it on display that people go, what is that James in Virginia? Hi, James, best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 11: Oh, they were taking my call, brother. It happened Monday, d Dan that solute the Commanders. Unfortunately. Man, there's already been block movie. It's called ten Cup. Which your favorite offer for all league? Maam Kevin Costner. Excuse me, man, you got me mid two on a toys burst. That's the worst of the weekend, man, the Miami he oh my gosh, what an amazing story. I think people really underscored the Philadelphia sixty series with the subjects, the toll it took on them. But man, it's as supposed to the best coach in the NBA today. Man, it's one thing to win with James Wade Bosh, but to do it with day Am out of Bayu and a bunch of guys two times going to the finals amazing. Haven't done it yet, but I mean they I think the cebjects got a three percent chance. My worst of the weekend, my worth of the weekend? Man? Is the national Punyans talking about nicolea Yoki. Oh my god, this dude is a point tender, dishing the ball, bringing the ball up the court. Gravin read that, playing in the post, playing out on the on the arc. Man, this guy is amazing. I can't believe it. And there's just such an amazing team to watch. Nobody has to be the guy, but everybody is not afraid to be the guy on that team. That is fun and cause and with this man, one of the greatest humans, Jim Brown, transcendent football and transcendent light beyond the field. Man, I was I missed his time, but thank you the NFL film because I was able to watch that guy and he was amazing.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 1: What yep.
Speaker 2: He died on Friday, and he was in his upper eighties and he might be mythical to a lot of people who didn't get to see him play. And he the way he played, there was a babe ruth feel to him that you were like, why is he so much better than everybody else? He was bigger and he was faster. He was just different than any other running back up until that point. And then most running backs are still compared haired to Jim Brown. Or you want to have a comparison to Jim Brown. He averaged five yards of Carrie. I think he led the NFL in rushing his nine years in the NFL.
Speaker 1: He got bored. He had done everything he was going to do.
Speaker 2: This is before the super Bowl, Right before the Super Bowl, he decides that he's going to go make movies and he became sort of an action hero.
Speaker 1: But he got bored.
Speaker 2: He was aged twenty nine when he retired from the NFL. But I think it's Barry Sanders and Jim Brown are the only running backs who averaged over five yards per carry. I believe so. But you know, Jim was an amazing talent. I was very fortunate growing up in Ohio. We got the Browns games every Sunday and I got to see him. Leroy Kelly came after Jim Brown. He was a Hall of Fame running back as well. But what Jim did, how he did it, and it almost seemed like he was as big as the defenders who were trying to tackle him, and left quite a lot legacy there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Paulin, when I was a little kid, I missed Jim Brown's there. Jim Brown and Will Chamberlain felt like fictitious characters like they were people my dad talked about or they like you mentioned someone like well, I mean, Jim Brown's the best football player, almost like a correction for all you younger generation people. Same with Will Chamberlain, it felt like if you didn't see him play, it's hard to understand it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mark, how big was he in person?
Speaker 8: Because I saw him like what his you know what his arms out and he looked like a monster and he was like seventy five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was always had that great build to him. I mean, he great athlete obviously football, but also you know, considered a better lacrosse player at Syracuse.
Speaker 1: He was just solid.
Speaker 2: But he didn't He threaten to come out of retirement at one point.
Speaker 1: I don't know how.
Speaker 2: Old was he was it the eighties then he was thinking of coming out of retirement.
Speaker 1: He was like fifty seven.
Speaker 5: Franco Harris and Walter Payton were going for his rushing record and he goes, maybe I'll come back and put them on a cover sports willstrate But Jim Brown.
Speaker 2: By all running backs, you know, they're they're measured by how they stack up with Jim Brown. All right, we'll check in with the Lakers coming up next hour. More phone calls as well, best and worst of the weekend. Nuggets, Lakers tonight game four, Hurricanes and the Panthers.
Speaker 1: You know, we think the Miami Heater a great story.
Speaker 2: Four to Panthers, great seat eight seed, big story there as well. All right, more phone calls, update the poll results. One hour in the books on this Monday hour. Two on the way, one more iting before we close out the final hour. It was a big day on Friday. Seat and walk by me when I was out in the mailroom and he goes, nice buns, And I said, and what do you think about the Kings Hawaiian buns that came in? Because it's slider Sunday. Oh yes, the weekly meal time ritual Kingshawaiian dot com. You want rest inspirations, the monster Dunk sliders start with ribbi and then top with fried onions, orse, radishy sauce and some awe hu for dipping delicious nice buns Kings Pretzel slider buns. Ah, these are awesome. We had some of these at the Super Bowl. So if you're barbecuing with friends, getting together, watching a big game, or Sunday family dinner, kings Hawaiian wants you to make every Sunday slider. Sunday, go to your local store, pick up those sweet, fluffy, irresistible Kings Hawaiian rolls, and enjoy Kingshwaiian dot com