Speaker 1: Loka to Our Radio is a radiophonic novela, which.
Speaker 2: Is just a very extra way of saying a podcast.
Speaker 1: I'm fiosa fem.
Speaker 3: And I am Ma la munios.
Speaker 2: We're podcasting through another Trump election year. We've been podcasting through election years, a global pandemic, civic unrest, political controversies, the Me Too movement, the rise of TikTok, and we are still here.
Speaker 3: We're not done telling stories.
Speaker 1: We're still making podcasts. We're older, we're wiser, We're even podcasting through a new decade of our lives.
Speaker 2: Since twenty sixteen, we've been making locatrot Our Radio independently until we joined iHeartMedia's Michael Dura Network in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: From Our Lips to Your Ears, Fall in love with Locata Radio like you never have before.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Season nine, Love at First Listen, O.
Speaker 1: La La Loka Motives. Welcome to Season nine of Loka Thought Our Radio. I'm Viosa and I'm Mala. Loka Thought Our Radio is a podcast dedicated to archiving our present and shifting the culture forward. You're tuning in to Gapitlo doses two oh six.
Speaker 2: Last Time on Loka Thought Our Radio. We had our biosa Vise and my last BA Labra segment episode. Make sure to check it out and share with a friend.
Speaker 1: Today, we have another amazing guest joining the show. Our episode today will be highlighting astrology and how to use it as a tool for social change, and we also talk about power and some cults and it gets really good.
Speaker 3: In my opinion, it's a deep one. It's a good one. Do not stop listening.
Speaker 1: So about our guests, Lisa Nakazawa. She's an Oakland based writer, producer, podcaster, and astrologer. She is currently the host for Stars and Stars with Issa, a weekly podcast where she sits with the most talented artists and thinkers of our time. She is going to talk to us about everything astrology and like we said, how we can use it as a tool for social change. Okay, Lisa, can you introduce yourself to all of our listeners.
Speaker 4: Yes, Hi, listeners, I'm Asa Akazala and I'm a host of a new podcast called Stars and Stars of Lisa. It's an astrology pod, and I'm also a practicing astrologer, and i have an additional job where I'm the director of Community Engagement at BEAYVAC Media, which stands for Bay Area Video Coalition, and I've been at that organization for over four years now and we help resource independent filmmakers.
Speaker 2: Fabulous love it. So can you tell us about your journey into astrology? When were you first drawn to the stars.
Speaker 5: I feel like I need to pay y'all to help me like tighten up my.
Speaker 4: A journey to astrology because it's such a nonlinear journey, and when I hear myself in interviews, I'm like, girl'll tighten it up.
Speaker 5: But the reality is like I always.
Speaker 4: Had both an intrigue and repulsion dynam with spirituality growing up.
Speaker 5: I love ritualistic spaces.
Speaker 4: I remember growing up I would go to a church, like a Protestant church with my family, and I just loved having a ritualistic space, Like the actual environment was really beautiful and just the structure felt so sacred.
Speaker 5: But I was also politicized.
Speaker 4: Really young, which just means that I came into like a political understanding of the world really young, and so of course became really aware very young how religion has been used as an opia in a mechanism of control, and so it was really hard for me to untether spirituality from that history, and then later in life I started to around, Like in my twenties, I started to have girlfriends who are really into tarot in astrology, and I feel like homegirls are always this all chemical space of learning, especially when you graduate college and you start learning together, and a lot of them, you know, would talk about astrology here and there, and then I would kind of do my own research, which was a big theme in my life. And around twenty eighteen I started getting really interested and just learning about it, which I always encouraged people, right, like, digging into our curiosities is not a commitment to a belief. It's just learning and following where your curiosities are. And I find astrology. I don't know how you all feel, but astrology, once you scratch the surface, is really dense. And that really interested me because I'm a big nerd, and so I was like, oh, this is so cool. It's so complicated, and so I started getting really into all the different houses. And when I started to get into the houses and the more complex start things of astrology, that's when my interest got really pronounced. I think the horoscopic astrology kind of lost me because I'm not really big into prescriptions or labels, and so that actually was pretty off putting for me. But then thinking about the cosmos as this gateway for complexity was like, yes, I'm into that part, and then I just what. I really went in on research on my own and found some companions to help me, and then I eventually started my own practice in like twenty twenty with reading for clients, and then that really showed me that I have a deep love for it. And so it's again super hard to summarize, but yeah, I think it just started with being curious very so far.
Speaker 5: Yeah led me to a podcast very cool.
Speaker 1: I love that so much, and I think that was so concise and linears, So I think that you have it down and I love that you mentioned you initially mentioned there being a church, right and liking the ritual aspect of it, and then you know, being politicized, and I think a lot of us, a lot of our listeners can identify with that. And I also feel that that's why in my experience, queer people gravitate to astrology, because if we've grown up in the church or we grew up with some type of religious background, it's something that we can find comfort in but we know that that's not necessarily a place for us, and so we gravitate to astrology because there's this like community based in there, and there's this spirituality that we can tap into and connect to. And that's one of my beliefs as to why, like all the queers are into astrology, Right, that's kind of like the ongoing joke, But I think there's actually something really deep there. I think there's this like search for belonging, this search for understanding ourselves and the cosmos.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's really profound. Yeah, And I think queerness also as like a political orientation, is always interested in like troubling power, and so I think I think like the way that I like to use astrology is in the same spirit of that, where it's like, how can astrology be I've been saying this phrase that I feel like might not land for people, but like, how can astrology help us unknow ourselves instead of being like another kind of regime of like you're so that, which is very fun and cute, but I think at times can also be very not queer. If we're being honest, like, then that can just make us better consumers and it can get us so much deeper into consumer capitalism because now astrology is so huge, like it arguably couldn't be bigger, which has you know, I think it has some positive effects, and then it also has the effects of Like I think any spiritual worker right now who has a public platform needs to be really on point because you can easily pure spirituality.
Speaker 5: Can be used against you right now.
Speaker 4: So I think it's also a tricky time to be a practitioner in public because of that.
Speaker 1: Don't go anywhere, We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think we want to get deeper into that as the interview continues, And just I love how you talk about the complexities and really digging deep into astrology as a practice and what it all means. I feel like a lot of people when they first hear about or think about astrology, they think it's like woo woo o wah, you know, we wah, like it could be right, but it's also there's a science to it and it can be a tool for social change. Can you talk to us a little bit about like finding the core of astrology and like it's many uses for humanity?
Speaker 5: Totally?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I think two things come to mind. One is the Carl Sagan quote and he you know, Carl Sagan was not an astrologer, not a believer, but he has this quote I love invoking, which is the nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of star stuff. And I quote that because the cosmos are not just a metaphor, we are actually made of star stuff. And so I think that's always like a compelling place to start for people who are really skeptical, is that there's always an assumption that we're speaking at this like really abstract metaphysical level, and we are and we're not. And so I think at a base level there's something really deep about acknowledging that we are not just like, yeah, I guess a metaphor for the cosmos, but we are them. And so that lack of separation between us and the natural world, I think is itself quite political. So I just wanted to start there. And then also, yeah, I'm reading do either of you like Prentice hemepill or.
Speaker 1: No, not familiar, No tell us more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're just an incredible like writer and author and organizer, and they have this kind of similar background to me in terms of I mean there, I don't want to put us in the same breath, but like they have the same background in the sense of being in organizing and activist spaces and also in healing spaces, and I think if you've been in both, sometimes you feel fractured because you can feel like there's like, on the one hand, political spaces can be really skeptical of healing spaces, like, no, we need to contend with reality, we need to show up here and now, and like they're really quick to talk about spiritual bypassing, which is a phrase about like don't use spirituality to cop out, like come, show up, fight back, be here. And then often healing spaces, their rhetoric is like or their retort rather is like if we don't heal ourselves, we can't heal the world. And I Prentice has a new book called What it Takes to Heal, How Transforming Ourselves can Change the World, which really kind of tackles the question you just pose, and I really recommend it because it goes in depth on this question. But I totally echo their premise, which is this idea that they've come to understand, and I have two in my lived experience that it's actually both social transformation and personal transformation happening simultaneously. That's the key to answer your question. That, to me is where the nexus lives. Like, I really don't feel comfortable saying that astrology on its own and as an isolated practice can really be like a revolutionary tool. I think that would be quite an exaggeration, and I think I've kind of made that claim accidentally before, But I really think I'm in a stage of life where I want to be more precise because I think it really helps all of us in our practice. So I think for me, it's like this, this this commitment to both, like if we don't. And there's this quote that I wrote that I thought was really concise, where Apprentice says, oh time, I have come to understand that social transformation, the push for more just systems and policies, and personal transformation, healing our own trauma and reshaping our relationships have to happen together, not one or the other, but both. We neglect ourselves our own growth rush in our rush to change what is external, and when we do, we fracture and succumb to what we are unwilling to face.
Speaker 5: And so if.
Speaker 4: Anything, astrology is that tool that helps us face what we are unwilling to And I think that astrology can often be not just an individual tool, but a collective one in the same way taro is, where it requires participation from like a reader and a quarrent or a group of homegirls or whatever it is, like, it can be this collective tool. So I really want to emphasize in this conversation that I think it requires both to really be considered social transformation.
Speaker 2: I really appreciate the way that you bring in the text and that nuance. I think that there's this pressure if you are an activist or activists minded or socially aware or in favor of more just systems, that there's almost this pressure that everything that we're touching is like in service of revolution or social justice, when it simply cannot be the case that every single thing that we do in touch is in service of social justice. So I appreciate that you bringing that nuance in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's a really good point. I really like how you said that, and I do think that you know something that.
Speaker 5: Anyone who knows me well knows.
Speaker 4: I'm really big into just being aware of what we're arguing because I think what you just said kind of releases some of that pressure. But I think if you're gonna say this is a revolutionary tool, you need to kind of elaborate on how that actually connects. And I maybe people say that because they feel the pressure you're naming, Like maybe people feel like they have to say that on the internet or say that in all their interviews because that's kind of the cachet of the day. And I think that what you just said is kind of reclaiming our right to have practices that don't ultimately always end up being these revolutionary tools. But I do think they have incredible potentiality. It's just I think we should not exaggerate what that is because then we get kind of, yeah, I don't know. I think then it kind of like undermines it ultimately totally totally.
Speaker 2: And I think something else that we've seen is this may be just tangentially related, but there's a lot of like scammers who pretend to be astrologists and tarot card readers and offer services, and they're sliding into dms and pretending to be people they're not, and I think that they do that also because there is a power in what in the astrology and in the tarot, or else they wouldn't be pretending.
Speaker 3: To be those people, if that makes sense.
Speaker 4: I know I don't have all these ideas fleshed out, but it's interesting to think about, like the rebellion towards Enlightenment philosophy and also God and like this kind of orthodox religion, and then people looking for this kind of alternate form of spirituality. But then we are living in like a very isolated time. So people want to feel surrendered and connected to something bigger than themselves, and that is such a beautiful want, and yet it makes us also extremely vulnerable. So I think that's just like a paradox that I don't think I have to personally answer, but it makes me want to be very ethical in my practice because I can sense that vulnerability in myself.
Speaker 5: I'm not above that.
Speaker 4: Certainly, and I honored that part of me that wants to be part of something vaster and more connected than the narrow things that I've been told I should want to identify as. So I think there's something pure and beautiful at the center of that. But we have to be honest that it also makes us so vulnerable to scammers or another thing that I worry about is being really vulnerable to like I don't trust myself, ESO, what should I do?
Speaker 5: Should I move? Should I break up with him?
Speaker 3: Should I?
Speaker 4: And it's like, oh, don't give anyone that power. That's right, that's my personal opinion. That's a great point.
Speaker 1: How do you address that with clients that come to you for reading and you know, of course we have the specific question, and then it can be a question like exactly what you just said, like do I dump him?
Speaker 3: Do I move?
Speaker 1: Do I quit my job? And so then how do you navigate knowing you have this power but also are really trying to be ethical in the way that you use it.
Speaker 4: A lot of astrologers use pre materials or are really explicit, especially like experienced astrologers use their website as a space to kind of clarify and disclaim.
Speaker 5: How they approach the practice.
Speaker 4: And I really suggest that if you're looking for an astrologer not to rush that process. Really find a good fit, as if you were looking for a therapist or any other teacher. Find out how they approach it, what their actual like how system is like ask questions, you know, make sure it's a good fit. And it's always a great sign if an astrologer has testimonials, you know, like kind of do your due diligence. You don't have to be extra about it. But that's what I do, you know, I try and provide testimonials. It's touch points of trust. I try and disclaim that I'm not a predictive astrologer. If in a reading, even though I've set all that up top, those questions start to pop up.
Speaker 5: I'm not rude about it.
Speaker 4: I just try and gently, you know, kind of nudge them back to their inner wisdom, which I think is a you know, a talented practitioner. You almost leave a session not thinking about me. It's like you leave being like, oh, I kind of led myself to this decision, as opposed to thinking, oh, Lisa's got the answers right. So it happens all the time, and I try and just reframe the session or the question so that the wisdom is back within them, because I actually think when you do astrology right, the most powerful thing about our birth chart is that it's a map of something that already resides within us. So in a capitalistic society where the whole idea is to make us as vulnerable and inadequate as possible, so that we need to constantly optimize, astrology can be that antidote to optimization, which is there's already this inner reserve of wisdom within you and resourcefulness, and if you can tap into it, then you actually are powerful all along.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back with more of our interview with Lisa.
Speaker 3: I love that so much.
Speaker 1: And have you heard of like the red string theory?
Speaker 5: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: No. Is that what it's called, Mala where it's like we've we've talked about this before online, you and I let me let me refresh. Yeah, I think the red string theory is like there's someone that was put in your life and you meet them like at the point that you were supposed to, but like maybe they were in the background at some point in your life, right, And so mal and I have discussed that about our relationship and like how we we like grew up in the same area we grew up. We actually have mutual like gonna see that as like people that we know. And then we ran cross country in high school, not together, but we were like at these same places, and then it took years for us to finally meet in person, and so I feel like there's like that synergy there right between us. We were able to build like a business and a collaboration without knowing each other that well, but there was, like I think a lot of trust already. So we got this question the other day about a sinistry reading and if we have ever had one, and we haven't, and so I think we're like a little interested in that, and I know we're not doing that right now, but I just wanted to pose this question to you, like how can people maybe use a sinistry reading as a tool for like getting into collaborative partnerships or like getting into relationships, and like how do we really what do we do with that information? And what is and what is a sinister I.
Speaker 2: Had never I had never heard the word before, And a listener asked us if we have had a sinistry reading between the two of us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, first of all, that's such a beautiful story or very moving and I love the idea of like parallel lines that then meet. Yeah, so there's there's two sinistry readings that I provide one, so sinistry can be just simply defined as understanding how to birth charts interact, so like the points of harmony, the points of tension. But I want you to think of two distinct birth charts interacting, so that would be like a sinistry chart reading. So I would look at yours, I would look at yours, and then I would look at how those individual charts interact.
Speaker 5: Does that make sense? And like converse. A composite chart is really cool.
Speaker 4: To me because it's calculated by the midpoints of the two charts, and it's essentially a birth chart for this third thing, which is an embodied relationship. So it's a birth chart for the relationship, and it's calculated simply through the midpoints of your Sun Moon Venus Mars Mercury. And the reason I love composite charts is because they're blended energies and I've I've done a lot of couple readings, which I am very obsessed with and I love. And the reason I think composite charts are so poetic is because it takes us out of kind of a both a place of blame and a place of self overly self knowing where it's this third creative act of our combined energy, so we're less likely to be like, you're so like that, I'm so always like this, which I imagine couple's therapists deal with a lot, right, because we all do that.
Speaker 5: Like, yeah, you always you always do that. In our relationship.
Speaker 4: It could be a friendship, a collaboration, like you get stuck in the loop of like the narrative loops, I always do this, we type each other yeah and ourselves right, Oh, you're right, I'm always so angry or like, I'm always so submissive. And I've found actually that narrative can be both an opening and enclosure for me because I can I can become super limited by my story. I'm like, I'm always this, and I unfortunately am an always girl. Like when i'm heighten, I'm like, you're always And so I really just recommend composite charts too, because I think there's something so creative about thinking about the blended energy that is produced when two people come together. And I think both are dope, but I just think there's something so special and spiritual and sacred about thinking about the embodiment of something that happens when two people interact.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, I think we're convinced we need one. I think we need one. We need a composite sinistry reading.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would love to do it.
Speaker 4: And that's cool because you know, I think to get at one of the questions is like, I just think there's something so if you make it more playful, there's something that's really creative that starts to happen where you're meaning making together, which I think is why I like doing sinistry readings because it's two people and I get to see them weave together, and I get to see the compassion and kindness that usually comes up when one person is more silent and stuck, and I see how the other person is actually more likely to try and like fill in the gaps as then judge them. And so there's something about seeing holding again this point that's going to maybe be a through line this conversation as ritual, Like how cool is it that I get to just hold this, create this container in space for two people who already love each other to kind of like ask questions. And it's not really about making bold statements, but just being like, oh, like, if you think of this synistry as like a topography of these two people's psyches, you can just it's just like a cool poetic meaning making of them being like, oh, that is a point of tension, or like that is why we love each other. And I think there's something really cool about understanding how we have this shared energy. And then I don't know how you all feel, but I think one of the powerful things about therapy is that sometimes when we understand the person we love is different from us, it actually helps us be compassionate. Like, oh, because I love you, I sometimes project that we are the same, but we're not. So when I hear you tell me that. Like, one thing that comes up in synatry readings all the time is how all of us have such different relationships to time, Like some people view it as such a personal attack if their good friend comes late to things, and that can actually as simple as that is, that can create a lot of distrust and tension. And so time comes up a lot in my conversations, and often with like Neptunian charts, they're like, but why do you take it personally? Like, my sense of time is not about disrespecting or devaluing you. It's that like I follow, where I follow a spontaneity that feeds me and it's like important for me to feel safe to be able to follow that, and then the other person is like a fixed rizing sign is like, but that makes me feel like I can't rely on you, and that makes me feel unsafe, And so then you get to hear, oh, that makes her feel unsafe, you know, Like it kind of gets you to think outside of your assumptions and listen to how someone relates to time, and then you get to decide what you want to do with that. But I think it's it's an empathy exercise and not assume that even the person you've been married to for twenty years is a totally known entity.
Speaker 5: I'm always like I'm on.
Speaker 4: The ester parrel camp of like you're a mystery to yourself, and the people in your life are a mystery to you too, no matter how long.
Speaker 5: You've known each other.
Speaker 4: Like, if anything, maybe astrology can help people retain that mystery because when I think I've known you for you know, if I think that you're a known thing, then there's gonna be a lot of judgment and assumption. So sinistry readings are so cool for that because it's like, what if we just create an element of surprise and like that erotic comes back in or that curiosity comes back in, which I think we all need right to like refresh our our bonds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really like opening up a portal to like continue dating each other or getting to know each other again for the first time, which is very cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have to do it.
Speaker 3: We have to do that. You can vince us we need this.
Speaker 5: I'm down.
Speaker 3: I'm curious.
Speaker 2: What are some common misconceptions that you have come across or criticisms of a astrology in general or utilizing astrology for some type of social change or greater good? And then how do you address those criticisms?
Speaker 5: Oh, great question.
Speaker 4: I think one of the criticisms that's pretty common is confirmation bias, Like if you tell me that I am, then I think I am, and so then I become.
Speaker 5: And that's fair.
Speaker 4: Although again it's so it's so interesting and specific to astrology because it's so dense and there's so many levels to it. Like once you get into aspect astrology, which is how the planets communicate, and you start looking at transits, which is how the current sky interacts with your birth chart, Like there's so so many points in my journey where I wanted to not believe in it, you know, And I always resent when people think faith is the static fit thing, where it's like doubt can be part of your love, doubt can be part of your practice, but it's always just makes me laugh. Like I always say the cosmos are the biggest troll because you'll look at transits after the fact and be like, on that exact day when like Saturn conjunct Mercury, like everyone's computers didn't work, and like there was a certain kind of seriousness and sobriety to the communication that was going out in your life or in the world.
Speaker 5: So I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think for me, I'm very like understanding and willing to engage skepticism.
Speaker 5: But I think for me, I just find it bizarre when.
Speaker 4: People are really rigid, like when people say, like that is all ridiculous. I just don't relate to that kind of like insistent that the entire thing is just make believe, Like I don't really relate to that kind of level of I don't know, you know, when people say hate is a form of love, like that's how it comes across to me, Like why are you so adamant that astrology is bullshit, Like, I don't know, you seem really into it in a way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like lots of energy spent on the subject, like passion, lots of feelings and opinions exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like a hater is just like a big fan kind of a thing.
Speaker 5: You got it, not me.
Speaker 4: My home girl also always makes a joke that's so funny for New Yorker's but she's like, y'all believe in the Knicks.
Speaker 3: So anything is possible.
Speaker 5: So yeah, exactly, anything's possible.
Speaker 4: Love that I don't I think like a controversial, interesting one too that I was thinking about. That's maybe you're like, this is totally on a tangent, But I think that astrology for me feels more neutral than I once thought, Like I wanted to offer some things that I don't think people know, which is like Nancy Reagan was really into astrology and used it a lot to make pretty significant decisions in the White House. And so there has been in like a gnarly history of astrology in right wing politics and even in the Roman Empire, like a lot of astronomers were used as kind of reinforcers or like inscribers of fate for the powers that be. So I think in terms of the second part of that question is I would hesitate to say that astrology is inherently anything because it has been used as like you know, and I think you all illuminated why because it makes people feel powerful. So of course people in power have you know, used astrologers to kind of cement their power or maybe that much power makes people feel fraudulent and so they need to feel like it's inscribed by the divine Like I don't know, I haven't been in those positions, but it's an interesting correlation. Yeah, and so I would just mythbust that astrology is inherently leftist or inherently anything interesting.
Speaker 5: I think that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it reminds me we both went to Catholic schools, and you know, there's this piece of like Catholic dogma that the Catholic Church is basically the center of the earth and therefore is the center of the universe and is the one true religion. And I you know, this is just coming up in talking about the Roman Empire, and I mean, you know, the the Vatican and all that stuff and literally situating the Church in the center of the universe. And I'm sure that there were astrologers back in the day that were there, you know, contributing and coming up with this sort of ideology, and it is something that's taught like in Catholic schools and in Catholic teachings.
Speaker 4: I did not know that, but it's making me think of what is that new documentary. Maybe it's not new about the TikTok church.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, yes, it's like a dance called slash Church.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 4: It made me spiral for thirty minutes because it just made me want to have nothing to do with spirituality because again, it brought up my old fears that I think are wise around. When people are vulnerable, this kind of cult of something bigger than us takes over and suddenly, if you're in the wrong hands, you can be you know, devoting your entire financial life and like your entire psychological truth to dogma and propaganda. And so there was thirty minutes where I was taking an old shower and I was like, oh, but for anyone, I forget the name of the documentary, but essentially it's these young people get exploited by this perch leader in LA and he well, I don't want to give it away, but it's you know, it's a very sinister ending where it's really actually quite hard to hold these people accountable legally.
Speaker 5: So I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because if you think about there's like this kind of cultural like cross cultural joke, right of like oh my THEO THEA spends like all their money on like the when it und spiritual number, right, and it's always like the quote spiritual stuff that becomes the joke. But if we look at like the way we're indoctrinated in like Western religions, like we don't give it that same type of joke power, right, but it really is the same thing, and there's a lot of power. There's like not to offend anybody, but there is some like cult like behavior. I'm not saying it's a cult es, but there's a cult like behavior. And I remember, for me one of my first times feeling that when I was in Catholic school, I was in high school, we would have church like weekly church, like in our auditorium in our gym, and they would bring a priest. My school would bring a priest to give a mass. And I remember just sitting there and watching everybody recite the prayer and then grow up and get the Eucharist. And it was the very first time that I felt like, oh my god, this is cul tea. Yeah, and I was only like sixteen seventeen maybe. And again I'm not saying the Catholic Church is cult, but I am saying that there are some cult like tendencies. Right, we go and we eat like the eucharists the body and blood of right and so so yeah, So I just think there's this this need or there's this want to like ascribe spirituality like any type of spirituality that's like non Christian, right, this type of like culty vibes or this like scammer, which is true, like there can be, but like also that's the same for like traditional Western religions. And there's like a blind a blind spot that we have that we'd like choose to have. It's like this cognitive dissonance that we have for like organized Western traditional religions.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it's super gendered. Like people think of astrology as like a fem they like encoda as like a feminine practice, and so it gets like severely stigmatized. And I just don't think that that's particularly true right now, But I do think throughout history, I mean, there's so many, you know, examples of that, and I mean still to this day, it's like such an easy target. Yeah, you know, I think that's why for so many of us it took so long to like be public with it, because you're so aware of the scrutiny or of how easy it is to call it silly, you know. But again, it's like something that's gendered as a like a female knowledge system.
Speaker 1: And how how did it feel when you went like, quote public, like I'm an astrologer? Scary?
Speaker 5: That was scary, scary.
Speaker 4: I mean, I definitely, like everything in my life, did it in stages. But yeah, there was a whole period where I would disclaim. I don't know if you ever go through periods like that, but I always go through these periods of disclaiming where I'm like, I mean, but I already know it's and I don't do that anymore. And it feels really great, you know, to stand in that. But it took me a while, and I think it was partially because I was wary for so many years that it felt like am I betraying my own into tuition or my own kind of scholarship or my commitment to my values, and I think it's actually a deepening of those values. But yeah, it's been a journey and I think it's been really honestly, the coolest consequence of it is that it's given permission to a lot of people in my life who are similar to me, who feel like it's embarrassing to be spiritual or it's embarrassing to have any kind of faith. And so that was a you know, when you're in your head, you can't really predict those positive outcomes because you're so fixated on the the fear based ones. Yeah, so I'm curious, I have a related I have a question for you guys.
Speaker 5: At some point, go for it.
Speaker 3: Go for it.
Speaker 4: No, just it was to the topic we were just having, Like I'm kind of curious what you both think of Walter Mercalo, because I think it's interesting too to think of this fine line that I'm undecided about where it's like, on the one hand, horoscope astrology can be really can feel really exploitative for folks who are always in need of like a good word or some hope. But there's also something that I think was kind of like I hate to say the word pure, but like well intentioned about Walter and like wanting to actually offer like a glimmer of redemption to people.
Speaker 5: So I'm kind of curious how.
Speaker 4: You both think of like horoscope astrology and if there's like something beautiful and simple about it, or if it's kind of like potentially a pyramid scheme.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 2: I have not thought of Walter Mercado in these ways, but I would just jumping off of the like Catholicism as a cult. I'll say it revelation, I'll say it exactly. I'll say it. I've had this conversation with my mom, who is a Catholic school teacher, you know, and like I went to Catholic school for like nine years, and I remember there was a conversation about a family that went left their public school because they were teaching about like gender identity and pronoun and discussions about like CIS and trans people, and they didn't like that in their public school, so they wanted to go to a Catholic school. And my thing is like at our Catholic school, every year, the students we recreate the Stations of the Cross, which is the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, and they.
Speaker 5: Cast us so wild.
Speaker 2: They cast children every year to play Ponch's Pilot and the weeping women and Jesus, and then they crucify the child Christ. Not literally, but they crucify him in front of the entire student body and congregation, and it's like an honor, like, oh, my child is Jesus and he's going to be crucified this year at the station of across. So I'm like, you know what, it's kind of pick your poison, like you're switching out one thing that you think is bad for something.
Speaker 3: Else that may be worse. I don't know, you know. And so with someone like a Walter.
Speaker 2: Mercado, I agree, Like, especially seeing the documentary about his life, you know, I don't think that he was enriched and made super powerful as a result of his work. I think that he became beloved. I think that a lot of people felt comfort watching him and talking to him, you know. And so I don't know, I think it's sort of he seems to me very benign.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there were people in his team that saw a way that they could exploit his image, which is exactly what happened, because you know, to that the point the documentary gos referring to, we don't see what the Mergalo living in luxury at the end of his life. We don't see any of these riches that you may have imagined for him. And so I think, going back to what we're talking about the power, I think, like I said, there were people in his team that saw we can exploit his name, his image, his likeness because people will believe him. People did right. And I also I think beyond the horoscope, I think like there was this very flamboyant, beautiful man on TV touching these Latino lives, families that are notoriously conservative considering the time, and that they were like listening to him, And I think that alone represents so much and to me, like we'll always be beautiful. And that's that's what I think of what the Mercalo when I think of his like lasting, his enduring legacy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's like the Latino like David Bowie meets like princes. Yeah, the adornment, yes, yeah.
Speaker 3: The show. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, he's not not that different than a Juan Gabrielle, you know, where he was so beloved and reached this like icon status. Very different of course in their craft, but in the way that these like you know, assumed queer men could would come into the LATINX culture homes and be so beloved, I think is something like which I think is why they're still talked about and studied now, Like there's the phenomenon behind them is like really interesting to a lot of people.
Speaker 4: And a quick shout out to my executive producer Maria Garcia, who just launched My Devil, which is a podcast on Huanga Yeah and explores this very kind of thread or inquiry of queerness.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, yes, but thank you for asking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had not necessarily thought too deeply about him, and so for those who are not as familiar watch the documentary.
Speaker 3: It's very enlightening.
Speaker 4: And I think I brought it up because there's so much there's so much conversation in the last like five to ten years around Manifestation, and so I think you just when you were all speaking, I was thinking about how he basically died in poverty and was exploited financially, and so I think I'm just very, yeah, a little bit wary about how we talk about Manifestation because I think it I think for me, it stops being I don't know, not innocent or benign. But it starts to become troubling when you're promising people who don't have the actual like resources, and you're kind of like saying, like what you can be whatever you want to be. And I think that's something that can scare me a little bit about Catholicism and spiritual practice of like what are we promising?
Speaker 1: Let's talk about that, because I feel like everyone online has been talking about manifestation, and I don't think that everyone knows what they're talking about that are talking about it, you know, and I don't claim to know that much either, but I think I have like studied from people that do, and.
Speaker 5: So would you think, yeah, I'm curious what you all think of it?
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's like scam like behavior, like you can't manifest your way out of systemic racism. I think that's where my where I get like really upset, where I'm like, no, like sure, I can try to visualize a better life for myself, but like you said, if I'm not given the resources to get out of maybe this systemic poverty or whatever, you know, immigration system, so many different things, like I can't actually manifest a green card for myself. Sorry, I can't.
Speaker 5: These are an amazing example.
Speaker 1: You know, And so it puts I think what I see right now with this like New Age spirituality is like it's it continues to put the onus on the individual again, manifest your way into a better life. And I think, yeah, we can like create a better mindset for ourselves, but we can't like manifest ourselves out of poverty. And so those are my thoughts on it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's I mean, that's a great Instagram reel right there.
Speaker 5: I yeah, I love that.
Speaker 4: And it's interesting when I really think of like manifestation dovetailing with optimization, and I saw those kind of converge in the last five years where it's all about how to be the optimal you. And I really think the highest ranking podcast youtubes right now are about morning routine and like kind of like chat bro chats on like how we can be our best selves. And I think there's there's like a gendered version that's like that's manifestation for like Cis Bros. And then I think it's just everything capitalism is customized for you. But all of it's the same premise right around the onus is on you, and you got to bootstrap your way to the ideal state, because once you're in the ideal form, then you can get the person you want, the job you want, the life you want. Right. So it's like the way that we're being sold that I think is like the algorithm kind of organizes. But I think ultimately it's about the same lie, which has been at the center of the United States for as long as it's been founded. But I think manifestation can work for folks if it's about, like you said, smaller things that are like why do I have so much anxiety? Or I think there's like profound kind of mental shifts or like habit forming creations that I think can be really really deep for people. But I think we just need to be careful about like what we think we're Yeah, what, I don't know. Sometimes the way people talk about it, I worry people think you can just like rub a crystal and like get a new life or something.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like I'm like what.
Speaker 2: I feel like the topic manifesting does so well and the whole like, oh, delulu is the sululu?
Speaker 3: Like what's that?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Like being delusional is the solution? So on TikTok delusion is delulu, Okay, so sometimes it's like Delulu is the sululu, and so you should manifest like your life. And I think that these ideas do so well on TikTok because well, if you just manifest and you post three times a day, then you're gonna go viral and you're gonna make money on the creator fund and you can post a TikTok shop and then you can quit your job.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: You know, Like, I think the concepts.
Speaker 2: Work really well on the app because it encourages just more use of the app for this this manifested reality that you want for yourself.
Speaker 5: Wait, break down. That was really that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, y'all are killing it. How do y'all like, how do you tackle that? Because you've I was asking your producer like how long. Look, I THOUGHTA has been around. I was like impressed, how long you've been doing this? And I'm a first time creator in the podcast space. This is I'm only on month six, and so I'm curious, like how you all navigate that in a very tangible way because the algorithm is so fixed in terms of what works. But then sometimes that algorithm is at odds with your ethics and so like, but you're still people who need an audience and believe in what you're doing and really want to connect with people, So like, how do you kind of walk that thin line.
Speaker 1: We take these like viral things and we break them down and we give them like a deeper analysis. Like we talked about de Lulu and we were like, Okay, remember when women were called hysterical and delusional? Like why is this a cute trendy word right now? And like let's talk about like actually the history of that. We we did that for like Chradwives. We had an episode on that like two years ago. And so it's not necessarily avoiding the trends, but it's giving them our own spin of like, Okay, this is trendy right now, but okay, we're all we're operating under a system of capitalism, right, and so these things are being fed to us on purpose. Okay, how do we make a meeting out of them? And how do we give it a deeper analysis that we think our listeners would enjoy? Because I think at its core, that's the storytelling we've been doing since twenty sixteen. We've been taking these things that are maybe become mainstream or become or are popular in our culture and LATINX communities, and then we like spin it on its head and are like, okay, think about it this way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And we had jobs for the first six seven seasons, full time jobs, like full time nine to five, you know, the podcast. We were paying for things out of pocket and working and living at home. We have had very very few viral moments. We didn't like put out a viral clip and then quit our jobs and now we're living high on the hog. It was years of doing both simultaneously, you know, and we could kind of like dream big and like look ahead. But ultimately, I don't know, there was really no man We weren't manifesting anything.
Speaker 3: Oh, so like can we remember like manifesting.
Speaker 5: I was so helpful to hear. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Also when I hear manifests, like, Okay, I'm all for the manifesting, like if it's in realistic ways, but I also can't help but think.
Speaker 3: Of like manifest destiny, and I'm like, yes.
Speaker 1: You know, let's let's remember that, you know, because I think there's a connection there.
Speaker 3: There's got to be, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sometimes that's the most powerful, simple way to question things. It's like where the etymology? Where does this come from? But I I really think it's so generous to tell stories like that because it gets so demystified, and like, when I look at your work, it's so impressive, and I think it's really cool to see what you can build sustainably over time through being consistent. But you also have to tell people what it takes, because I think that when people are not told what it takes, they really internalize being a failure. And I see it happen all the time, where it's like I'm not as good or I'm not as charming, or I'm not as ex as this person. And they don't have to be a celebrity. They can be your friend that you pedestal. And that's what I really worry is the cost of the bootstrap, you know, mentality among a lot of other social costs, but one of them is that we all think we're like inadequate because the mechanisms of success.
Speaker 5: Are obscured on purpose. So it's like, oh, how did the two.
Speaker 4: Of them They must just like you said, they must be riding high and then meanwhile, the two of you are like nine to.
Speaker 5: Five in it. Yeah, you know, that must be. That's hard, that's a grind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was not anymore. But for the majority of the show it was. It was we were working nine to fives and doing what we could, and you know it, it.
Speaker 3: Did get us here.
Speaker 1: It was the hard work. But we didn't just like manifest it, you know. I mean in ways we did, in ways we did because we talked about it, we dreamt of it, we dreamed about it, but you know, we didn't just like write it down and just like it happened the next day.
Speaker 3: Right right, right, right right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And before TikTok was invented, before reels, you know, like viral video and such, it just wasn't part of the.
Speaker 1: It wasn't part of our world.
Speaker 3: It wasn't part of the building.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So on this tip and continue with this conversation and maybe like to help us kind of wrap up. So, yeah, what are some challenges if you could even make some predictions for us between astrology, social media, and young people and our next generation of users and as social media users and content creators and consumers and astrologers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think that is a really nice segue.
Speaker 4: I mean I think as an almost thirty eight year old I kind of missed the train that I have a lot of empathy for younger people who are they call like digital natives, where they grew up through social media, and so I'll never be able to understand what it's like to feel like social media is a very meaningful place of community building, and it's something I try and remember when I get all like anti mode and I'm like, go outside, totally such grass.
Speaker 5: How's your offline life, They're like.
Speaker 3: Oh, you're so old. It's way more fluid than that.
Speaker 5: I'm like, is it?
Speaker 4: But I do worry about publicness and like exploding. And I was actually thinking when you were talking about how nice it is in a way to grow slowly and have a really engaged following as opposed to becoming famous overnight. And you know, for maybe really great reasons, you're either like really talented at providing entertaining information, which there's so many incredible gen z astrologers that I'm like, Wow, you guys really know your stuff. You're so much better at me that making knowledge like palatable and entertaining. But I think it's really you know, astrology is a slow learning process, and I I've met like MultiGen astrologers who've been practicing for thirty years and they see these young people getting famous on TikTok overnight, and like they're not shaming them, but they're worried about their mental health because you when you put yourself and audition yourself for the role of expert, there's a lot of pressure that comes with that, right, Like what if I say the wrong thing, or what if I predict something and someone takes my prediction really seriously and then you know, there's all these questions. So I think the cautionary tale for me is just like maybe making it more socially acceptable to refute the expertise thing and like just own what you know and then you can be really playful about what you don't. But I think all of us, no matter age or social media status, should, like, I don't know, welcome that more into our practice of saying I don't know, or saying this is what I know right now, or this is what I know from what I've researched, but just being really specific about you know, your context. And I think especially for young women, not feeling so much like ownership or pressure to take on the world, like it's also okay to log off. It's okay to stop things you started, it's okay to change your mind, and so yeah, I just I just worry about the mental health stuff, and I worry about feeling pressure to always create content. I don't know about you all, but I get fatigued by making like one thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, yes, yes, yes, it's very tiring.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And so I'm like wow, and like, you know, some people find so much energy from it, so it's no shade, But I just think that there must be something truly exhausting about feeling like you're constantly performing for an audience and your money's.
Speaker 5: Tied up to it.
Speaker 4: Yep, that's complicated, right, because if you want to get the bag, then you got to be on. And so I just want young people to be able to be young people too and fuck up, yeah, and not owe anyone anything. So I think I specifically talk about young people a lot because that's honestly, who are some of the most talented astrologers of the day. So shout out to them. Keep being amazing, but also protect yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and stay in school please.
Speaker 2: I mean, I see, at least in the like Latino community, with the Latino influencers, I have seen a number who have gone super viral, and like there's been a lot of conversation about like why the number that are like didn't finish high school and like are not making plans to do so and or maybe haven't had like a real job, you know, and so like even if I have like little cousins who I want to be a singer. I want to be an artist. That's fabulous. And the most well rounded artists are always studying and stay in school and keep a job, you know, like do it, but take care of yourself in these other ways. You know.
Speaker 4: I love that, and I think again that's why I'm really yeah, just it was it was cool that you told us the whole backstory of your podcast, because I think one of the reasons that they say that is because they're seeing the incentives like I can make more money, I can do all this stuff by just being on TikTok.
Speaker 5: And it's like that's not the full truth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we need to start telling the full truth.
Speaker 5: It's like all the it's like the way the.
Speaker 4: Violent ways that we can like accidentally, you know, encourage people to have disordered eating by being like I didn't get a surgery I drink water, like so many like famous celebrities have been.
Speaker 5: Like, I just drink a lot of water and you're like, no, what.
Speaker 3: Was in the water exactly?
Speaker 5: That water's crazy.
Speaker 4: But I feel like the more we can be transparent, the more young people would make more complicated choices. But it's like if they're just like, oh, she's making all this money, of course they're not going to want to go to school.
Speaker 3: It all goes back to capitalism.
Speaker 2: Lisa, you have just been a revelation. You have given us so much to think about.
Speaker 3: I've learned a.
Speaker 1: Lot same same. Thank you so much. This was so incredible, and this is the first time we actually have like a full like astrology dedicated episodes.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, thank you, thank you much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you so much. This has been incredible.
Speaker 5: Thank you also. Yeah, so honored to be on.
Speaker 2: Can you let our listeners know where they can keep up with you and where they can tune in to Stars and Stars with Issa.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I am Isa, Naka is A and Aka on all platforms, and then my show is Stars and Stars of Lisa. We have weekly drops every Tuesday, and it's dope, you're gonna listen to me read artists birth charts, and it's kind of like a hybrid between an astrology birth chart reading and an interview. And so if you're an astrology fan or not, there's something for you. And so you can find that everywhere you get podcasts.
Speaker 1: It's so good. The rock sane gay one.
Speaker 3: I need to tune into that one one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's my favorite. Yes, yeah, And bio Acoma that's my favorite.
Speaker 1: Amazing, amazing. Well, thank you Loka mos for tuning into another episode of lok at Dora Radio. We'll catch you next time. Bessitos Loka do A Radio is executive produced by Viosa Fem and Mala Munios.
Speaker 2: Stephanie Franco is our producer.
Speaker 1: Story editing by Me.
Speaker 3: Diosa creative direction by me Mala.
Speaker 1: Look at A Radio is a part of iHeartRadio's Michael Dura podcast Network.
Speaker 2: You can listen to Lokata Radio on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Leave us a review and share with your prima or share with your homegirl.
Speaker 2: And thank you to our local motes, to our listeners for tuning in each and every week.
Speaker 1: Besitos Lokaloni